Habs release list of qualifying offers to their RFAs

lars-eller

Lars Eller is among the Habs to whom the team has extended a qualifying offer.
François Lacasse, NHLI via Getty Images

No colossal surprises this afternoon as the Canadiens released the list of those restricted free agents to whom they’ve extended qualifying offers as of the 5 pm ET deadline.

Those receiving offers: defencemen P.K. Subban, Raphael Diaz, Alexei Emelin, Brendon Nash and Frédéric St-Denis. Plus: forwards Lars Eller, Ryan White, Aaron Palushaj, Blake Geoffrion and Andreas Engqvist.

If these players fail to sign by July 1, they will become restricted free agents. Then, other teams can submit offer sheets to them which the Habs can match.

Conspicuously absent from the qualifying offer list: Michael Blunden.

The Canadiens elected a few days ago to take RFA goalie Carey Price to salary arbitration, a clerical move that heads off any offer-sheet ambush. No doubt GM Marc Bergevin is working on a deal for his franchise goalie, who surely is by now aware of the five-year, $19.5-million offer agreed to this afternoon by Winnipeg Jets RFA goalie Ondrej Pavelec.

1. Mavid says:

of course Midget as in minor hockey player?? and those were Souray’s words not mine..never said Spezza was garbage, I said he was overrated, and my reference was to that so called amazing deek he pulled on Souray way back when..the fact of the matter is that Souray was gassed and sick, and anyone could have made that move..it just happened to be Spezza…that move keeps getting played over and over like he is some kind of superstar…how about some of those bonehead giveaway’s he does every game…lets see some you tube videos of those…I bet there is alot more of those than his so called super deeks..

For some reason this comment is awaiting moderation approval:

Habs problem, as usual, was scoring. They were 20th in the league.

They were however 11th in goals against, which can be attributed to Carey Price and to a lesser degree the penalty kill which was 2nd over-all. The power play sucked though as the Habs were 28th.

Bottom line is this; if the Habs can improve on the power play and score more goals they will make the play-offs.

3. habsfanforever7631 says:

I’m not against players playing in the AHL there first year in fact, I want all the young players to play in the AHL, like Tenordi, Beaulieu I want them to play minimum 1 year in the AHL.
    But just look at this scenario for a second.
    Galchenyuk has impressed a lot in training camp; he will now play on the Habs.
    So how do we make some room for him?
    What if Eller plays on Plecs wing, and Galchenyuk takes Eller’s spot on the third line?

What do you guys think about that?

• ont fan says:

If Galchenyuk makes the Habs he better be playing quality min. or he’s wasting his time. You aren’t going to develope playing under 10 min. on the 3rd or 4th line.

• habsfanforever7631 says:

Then I guess he should go down to the CHL.
        Cause I don’t think I would take anyone out to put him in, just let him dominate in the CHL.

• issie74 says:

Ont fan: Tyler Seguin did that in Boston his first year,sometimes playing only a shift or two,however,Galchenyuk didn’t play last year and he can go back to Sarnia where his father is asst.coach and Beaulieu is the defensive coach.

I am sure the Habs will weigh all the pros and cons.

NorthTOHab

4. Ozmodiar says:

@petefleet

Totally agree. It’s reaaaally annoying, eh?

5. Habs1996 says:

nice one Ozmodiar

6. Habs1996 says:

habsfan53
    i think he said he will add more scout for quebec not draftmore from quebec.
    besides, he should keep the mentality of drafting the best player available and i sure damn hope Hudon was the best in the 5th round.
    Also,2012 year wasnt Quebec Year

7. Ozmodiar says:

Motivational tactic #1 to get Rene Bourque back on track:

Give Galchenyuk #27

8. petefleet says:

You guys are making it hard to follow the thread by not replying to a comment. Knock it off.

******************************************

“It just goes to show how difficult predictions are, especially ones made about the future.”

RGM
    ***Habs Forever***

9. habfan53 says:

I thought the FRENCH press would be all over Bergevin by now.
    After promissing to draft more from Quebec Bergevin and Timmins drafted 2 Americans from the OHL, 2 Swedes from Sweden , 2 players from the WHL and only one from the “Q”.
    He should be in politics ……………

Like the DODGERS “Wait till next year”

10. twilighthours says:

Hey you, it’s me: there’s a new thread up, just so you know.

11. aemarchand11 says:

I dont think player numbers for development camp mean anything, plus Rene Bourque is #27 so it doesnt add up.

12. blu_blanc_rouge says:

Galchenyuk #27 -Love it…the high numbers are for training camp extras..#27 is also very marketable f

13. Habs1996 says:

Galchenyuk should keep the #94

14. HFX-HabFan says:

The roster for the development camp has been released:

Interesting that Galchenyuk has been assigned 27…has Bourque changed his number, or does this suggest something else?

15. Habs1996 says:

*a comment from nowhere*
    Robinson would be the only english name in the coaching staff

16. HFX-HabFan says:

Looks like Washington is set to hire Adam Oates as their new head coach (ironically, Oates also succeeded Dale Hunter as Washington captain back in the day).

If Robinson also jets for Montreal like we all hope, Peter DeBoer needs some new assistants. Too bad his longtime assistant from junior, Steve Spott, is already committed to coaching Canada at this year’s WJC.

17. Habs1996 says:

i like St-Denis but i dont think he has a chance in MTL.i think he will play like ten nhl games this year too and lead the defensemen in the AHL.

18. Chrisadiens says:

I can’t quite get a grip on you, habsavvy. Are you trolling or is this your honest opinion? You are entitled to it, but I have to say, I don’t think I’ve ever read anything so wrong in my life.

This team may not be any better this year. But I can tell you one thing, we will be a cup contender soon and we will be built through the draft. MB isn’t going to trade 4 1st rounders for Nash. He won’t make any trades unless they are fair. Are you willing to lose PK and/or Price so we can have an $8million cap hit. Crosby and Ovie deserve that much money….not Nash. BTW, how long has Burke been trying to get the Leafs into the playoffs? Why do people actually think he is a good GM? Burke is going to lose his job this year, but he is soooo good, right? He makes trades a lot and that’s exciting, but where does that get his team?…..bottom of the conference that’s where, and then he trades his 1st rounders!

MB has performed flawlessly up to this point. Outside of some people who feel Therrien was a poor choice, he hasn’t made any errors. Give the guy a chance, seriously. Show some patience and you will be rewarded.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

19. That's-Hockey says:

I’m not knocking MB yet because I don’t really know what he’s gonna come up with between now and the end of training camp but if it turns out this is the best he can do make offers to Paulshaj, Geoffrion and Engqvist, get ready for a 1st, 2nd or 3rd round pick in 2013 because we’re gonna finish near or at the bottom of the league again in 2012-2013.

• Chrisadiens says:

Are you saying you would have let those 3 players go? I don’t understand your post.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• RGM says:

Clearly you’re not going to be the next general manager of the team. If you don’t understand how the process works when it comes to restricted free agency, that’s fine, but don’t come out here and act like you can predict the future of the club.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! Maybe 2012-13 will be our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• That's-Hockey says:

RGM – I don’t care how the free agency works. you don’t improve a team by keeping weak players around and you seem to be ok with that. I would be safe to say you won’t be the next general manager either.

• RGM says:

No I lack the requisite French language skills, but at least I understand the importance of organizational depth, restricted free agency and retaining future assets, and that there are a little more than three months for Bergevin to do “the best he can do” as it pertains to free agent signings, trades, and the overall improvement of the club.

———————–
          GO HABS GO! Maybe 2012-13 will be our year!
          “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• That's-Hockey says:

To answer your question. don’t sign them to the big team to the Bulldogs yes they’re not NHL caliber maybe some day. and by the way where’s our weakness. 3rd and 4th line where do you think these guys are gonna play. no further comment.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Qualifying offers include players that will be playing in Hamilton so I don’t see the issue here. Not every player that receives a qualifying offer is destined immediately for the NHL.

After all the management hirings, what appears to be a successful draft, you choose to get down on QO’s?

• Un Canadien errant says:

That’s-Hockey, you plainly don’t understand how the process works, whether free agency or qualifying offers to restricted free agents. You should refrain from commenting and holding strong opinions on this subject, do some research, and then reconsider Marc Bergevin’s performance on this matter, on which he can’t be faulted one bit.

20. Habs1996 says:

awful defensively? althought they finished dead last in the conference ,they are on the top15 at least for the less goal against..the problem was offense and power play

• HardHabits says:

Habs problem, as usual, was scoring. They were 20th in the league.

• RGM says:

If you only watched the first two periods of hockey games last year, you’d have an argument. But the Habs were the masters of the 3rd period blown lead last year due to defensive lapses.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! Maybe 2012-13 will be our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• murfdog says:

i agree with hab1996
        i wouldn’t call it 3rd period colapses i would call it 3rd period forward colapses, what can the D do when forwards just dump it and let the other team come back, your right RGM about the 3rd period but the D is fine, you cant win if you cant score.

21. Bripro says:

I’m reading below of wishes for the return of certain players.
    We have to remember that most were sent away for under-performing, and/or bringing an attitude.
    I might risk bringing AK back, seeing that he consistently scored 20+ goals/year, and usually the most hits of all forwards.
    I didn’t want him traded in the first place. With proper coaching, and a strong wingman, he and Pleks can thrive again.
    Or put him back with Eller and Moen (if they keep him) and let them play together for more than 3 minutes.
    As for Pouliot or Lats…forget it. They’re way too casual, and I don’t see them having changed their work ethic.
    It would be sweet to have Souray’s shot back, but let’s face it, there are more able-bodied UFA or “for trade” Ds out there who aren’t pushing the age clock yet. Time to close the books on most and move on.

@habsavvy This discussion was not predicated on saying Montreal currently has a good defence. In fact I suspect that most of the people discussing this with you are in agreement that the current Habs defence needs 2 more big stay at home shut down dmen. Thankfully it appears MB has some patience and knows that we have that in the pipeline. So what the team needs in the meantime is a stopgap. Hopefully we can get a Bryan Allen, Brookbank, O’Brien type player so that we don’t rely on Weber, Diaz, St. Denis, Kaberle as our dmen so much.

Our core though is pretty good. PK/Gorges, Markov/Emelin. Problem is PK/Gorges were played way too many minutes last year due to no Markov and an inexperienced Emelin.

Rome was not built in a day, our Habs are 1-2 years away minimum from making playoff noise. We can’t sell the future today to try and be Playoff winners now. Must be a slow build, that may include trades but the core of our team is going to be strong for the next 5-6 years lets build around that.

• Bripro says:

I would even add St Denis to the core group, given the way he played last year.

He plays well, but undersized. I liked his efforts and his hockeysmarts but we need some crease clearing dmen. You know the sandpaper with the coarse grit… N.A.G.

• Bripro says:

I was hoping that somehow, Dumba would be available for our second selection. From what was commented on TSN radio, he makes Emelin’s hits seem like pre-school.

• Ozmodiar says:

How can St Denis be considered part of the core group when he isn’t even a lock to make the roster?

• Bripro says:

He should be. He certainly played well enough. And he’s been given an offer sheet.
          He was calmer than Subban, more aggressive thank Diaz, more sure-footed than the recovering Markov, a better D than Weber and much better than Kaberlazy (except perhaps on the PP).
          I don’t think we have to bring up Can’tpoli anymore.

• Ozmodiar says:

Engqvist got an offer sheet, but it doesn’t make him part of the core.

The top 4 is Markov, Emelin, PK and Gorges. The next 3 on the depth chart are Weber, Diaz and Kaberle.

Even if Steady Freddie passes the last 3 on the depth chart, it doesn’t make him part of the core. Instead would highlight the fact that it’s an area in need of an upgrade.

• Bripro says:

Applying your logic would mean the same with the forwards and Engqvist. His excuse is his age.
            But IMO, St Denis is NHL-ready. Small perhaps, but he seems like a smart late-bloomer who will be very reliable. Something like Darche. Not an exceptional talent, but solid and dependable.

• Ozmodiar says:

Engqvist and St. Denis both received offer sheets. Both will be playing in Hamilton this year.

St. Denis currently sits 8th on the depth chart. At best, this makes him a fringe player, and not part of the core.

Darche isn’t a core player either.

23. twilighthours says:

Is there a Leafs vs Habs argument going on here? If it’s about last year, there’s no argument to be had: Toronto was better; the Leafs finished higher in the standings. There’s no other measure that matters.

As for the coming year… it’s all speculative, but I feel better about the Habs’ immediate and long-term future than I do about the Leafs’.

• TomNickle says:

I’m really sick of your know it all posts. You really come off like a condescending jerk.

Just because you say that there’s no other way to evaluate two teams than what their final point totals were it’s supposed to be considered fact? We can’t evaluate based on prospects? Can’t evaluate based on expanded statistics?

Maybe you should tone down the attitude a bit.

• twilighthours says:

How long you’ve been waiting for that, Tom? Must have been tough, eh, as I rarely post.

• TomNickle says:

Just really sick of you going out of your way to post arrogant opinions about me. Then again I wouldn’t expect any less. I’m sure that it’s lost on you that posting an opinion about somebody’s else demeanour and attitude and forming those opinions without any kind of context that would come through in a live conversation is as hypocritical of an action as you can perform.

Maybe instead of focusing your few posts on me you should offer up some content that goes broader than attacking and offer the site some kind of value.

• twilighthours says:

If you want me to respond to this, just let me know. I’m up for a good scrap right now.

If not, then I only hope you feel better now that you’ve gotten that off your chest.

• TomNickle says:

Coulda fooled me Anonymous. Judging by your posts you’d prefer this World be comprised of teddy bears, tulips and Philadelphia Cheese commercials.

Funny that others must disagree by getting on their knees and kissing the feet of their counterpart, but not you.

Oh no. You’re entitled to call people out with omnipotent and instructive words but I can’t so much as disagree with the opinions of my fellow members of HIO.

• twilighthours says:

Is this directed at me? If it is, that’s it, I’ve had it: you’re not invited to my birthday party.

• TomNickle says:

It was directed at you. This just means I’ll be taking your gift back and exchanging it.

24. Gee whiz they’re still interested in Enqvist. Do they have an organizational shortage of 85-pound heads?

• RGM says:

Ever since Cammalleri was shipped out, we’ve been looking for someone to fill that void.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! Maybe 2012-13 will be our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

25. commandant says:

Brian Burke has been in his job the same amount of time (measured in NHL seasons, not games, due to lockout) as GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs as his predecessor John Ferguson Jr.

Burke has a worse overall record.
    0 playoff appearances to Ferguson Jr’s 1
    0 playoff series wins to Ferguson Jr’s 1
    4 bottom 10 in the NHL finishes to Ferguson Jr’s 1
    2 bottom 5 in the NHL finishes to Ferguson Jr’s 0

We all admit that Ferguson JR was a horrible GM. I’m not defending JFJ here. He sucked as a GM.

So what does that make Brian Burke? Other than a blowhard?

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

26. New says:

Friedman’s column for your/you’re enjoyment before you loose/lose it over the inane:

27. Habs1996 says:

i think he was trying to say MB

28. gordon bombay says:

UPDATE – According to Jordin Tootoo’s agent, he will not be re-signed by the Predators and will hit the open market on Sunday. The curse of the player’s show strikes again

Any takers? Could he fill a 4th line hole for us?

Tootoo – White – Staubitz

• TomNickle says:

That line should be able to play around four minutes each night.

• krob1000 says:

the real question is do we need a tough guy? I say yes for the regular season anyway. However, if Moen is resigned, Whtie we toughen the back end and one of our UFA”s is capable of handling themselves …perhaps you don’t sign one…my gut though says the team has at least one Prust/Tootoo/Staubitz type of guy. there are just too many small guys up front and noone to stand up for them…if we did land Souray and signed Moen…you could keep Staubitz and dress him when necessary and platoon him with a Geoffrion or Darche type of player.

• Kooch7800 says:

I like Tootoo but he has had a lot of personal battles and I am not sure Montreal is the best for him as a city.

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

• Habs4Me says:

Montreal would be a good fit for him as he is a native and Kahnawake is only 10 minutes away. He would be able to visit and be around his own culture when he feels the pressure of the city life. Carey Price comes here all the time.

• Un Canadien errant says:

A remarkably unenlightened post. Jordin Tootoo is of Ukrainian and Inuit descent, born and raised in Rankin Inlet, Nunavut. How would visiting the Mohawk community of Kahnawake allow him to “be around his own culture”?

29. krob1000 says:

Marc Bergevin so far has a great grade IMO…..he hasn;t even been through a trade deadline or free agency period so not sure how he can be called passive. Of the major deals that went down at the draft:
    Staal-wanted to paly with brother
    Schenn-traaded to brother team nd burke got long coveted JVR
    Ribeiro-no way he was coming back
    Visnovsky-we already have 6 offensive dmen
    The only unpopular moves he has made are Therrien….which is growing on me given our youth core.

The other is not involving Roy…which I can see he may perceive as a threat..however if Roy were for instance to be hired on as the other assistant? everyone assumes Roy would not do that…perhaps that is true but Roy’s first gig being the most pressure packed in the league? that was always a stretch….one many of us were still willing to gamble on…who cares…so far Bergevin has got great grades in what he has done…let’s not punish him for what he hasn’t done.
    So far I am a fan of Bergevin….

SORRY I THOUGHT I DELETED OTHER POST? it took a while to show…

30. joeybarrie says:

So when Burke gave up:
    Seguin, 67 points last season and a Stanley Cup the year before.
    Knight, potential 3rd to 2nd line plr. 52 pts with London Knights.
    Hamilton who is rated as high or higher than PK Subban

All for Kessel who had 87 points last season (which is good)
    But Kessel is said to be the easiest star in the league to play against.
    So Basically Burke gets Kessel, Boston wins the Stanley Cup

AND THERE ARE IDIOTS SAYING WE SHOULD BE ACTING MORE LIKE BURKE??????????????????

So what should we give up for Nash??? A guy who has 4 post season games in his career, had under 60 points last season.
    Do people understand they want MORE back than what they are willing to give??? Columbus is going to want 2 prospects and some depth players for this guy.
    So when we see what Nash goes for, then come back here and BASH MB for not doing anything.
    By the way, how do we even know MB isnt trying to trade for Nash or Parise??? Did you talk to him???
    Wait are you saying Burke didnt qualify any of his players???
    Besides Burke has 11 million in Cap space to sign 4 more players.
    If he gets Nash, who does he give up? and how will he sign the rest of the players with 3 million in cap space? Including missing a GOALTENDER. I guess he might go with Reimer for his number 1…

• habsavvy says:

IT’S NOT NICE TO CALL PEOPLE IDIOTS SIMPLY BECAUSE THEY DISAGREE WITH YOU.
      so you would rather have Palushaj than Nash?
      you’ve heard of capologists right?
      leafs have 1.
      but can you guarantee me that Bergevin has the intelligence or EXPERIENCE to get the job done correctly ?
      so no point in arguing.
      the proof will be this season. just sit and wait.
      I’m hoping I’m wrong, but MB’s lack of experience worries me.

• twilighthours says:

Who is MC?

• FishOutOfWater says:

palushaj for nash? i should have stopped reading there.

to get nash your easily giving up. pleks, tinnordi, gallagher and collberg.

they want the house for nash,

i see boston as a very interesting player in the sweepstakes. along with chicago, philly, carolina being viable options

• joeybarrie says:

Well to simply say that MB is doing nothing, and Burke is GOING AFTER the big names without any kind of actual info or sense is IDIOTIC. So it qualifies the commenter as an idiot.
        To compare a guy who gave up 2 potential Kessels and an potential Eller for only ONE KESSEL to our GM who we have no clue as to what he is doing…… Especially when this BURKE character has YET TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS is also IDIOTIC. so it goes again that the person making the comment is opening themselves up to being an idiot in this case.
        Now an Idiot is someone who is ignorant or is uneducated. It also means someone who is engaging in extreme folly or stupidity.
        So by my definiton I think it applies expertly.
        THERE… LAWYERED.

31. Hali_Hab says:

I am on my I phone Tom.. Haha I will blame it on autocorrect. Nice call regardless.

32. Days away from leaving Manitoba for the summer (applause here) and heading to the greatest Island on the planet, I am just finishing up my final project for our cross Canada, and Northern States Ad campaign.

For the last hour I have been sculpting this part of the project. I need a break. SO here is the deal. First person to answer correctly receives a Montreal Canadiens autograph from Sholi2000.com Inc.

All you have to do is click the link, and tell me who this custom sports figure is? Only one guess per member.

Who Am I?

They Call Me Shane
    “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
    Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

33. Hali_Hab says:

Habssavvy your an idiot.. No offense.. All that Burke has done being “proactive” has done nothing to get his team into the playoff the last umpteen years . And the habs qualified RFA’S which has nothing to do trading for players?!? how do you know bergevin isn’t trying to make a trade with some team or plans on using the UFA market to fill out some of the line up? And if we followed you genius idea and not qualified any of the players we did who exactly would fill out the bull dogs roster. So freakin reactionary Like so many responses. It’s comical.. P.s. if you like Burke and his approach so much why don’t you cross over and cheer for the laughs. Instead of coming I here and bashing logical moves made by out GM.

So the current Leaf Defence is
    Phaneuf, Gardiner, Liles, Gunnarsson, Komisarek and Franson.

Hmmmm Komi and Franson were awful last year, Gardiner is indeed the real deal. So Phaneuf/Liles/Gunnarsson are the pillars….keep adding forwards Burke and don’t worry about addressing the goalie.

This is of course based on some Savvy information I have read about.

• habsavvy says:

look at how many goals leafs score this season compared to Mtl.
      they have a better offence and they drafted great dmen, better than what Mtl drafted (as far as Dmen).
      I know some of you don’t agree with me, but the proof is in the pudding.
      leafs did finish higher than the habs ands do have a better offence, and now with JVR, and if they land Nash or Parise?
      look out habs, leafs will be, I mean ARE better than the habs.
      instead of Bergevin focusing on bottom tier players, why not go after top tier players.
      I mean we’re never mentioned as trying to get top tier players.
      and because Bergevin has no experience as a GM, that worries me.
      oh, btw, it was Timmens who drafted these players, not Bergevin.

• TomNickle says:

Look at your argument sir. You’re saying that Burke is wise by targeting goal scoring players and that he already has excellent goal scoring.

He has weaknesses at centre and in net but he’s intelligent for approaching different areas for improvement?

Slow down.

• habsavvy says:

habs have major weakness at center and major weakness on defence.

• TomNickle says:

That has nothing to do with the point that you’re making. Nothing. Are you just trolling?

You’re saying Burke and the Leafs get great goaltending.
            You’re saying that Burke is an astute GM for targeting more goal scoring players.

Yet you’re forgetting that they are God awful defensively and have zero goaltending.

This stinks of trolling or stupidity. Not calling you stupid, but I have zero issue calling your opinion idiotic.

Okay, so how do you get Nash without giving up Gardner and Kessel at a minimum one of those players has to be involved.

There is no way Columbus will accept Kadri/Kulemin and Komisarek for Nash. Please explain how they get Nash without giving up these players which score all the goals.

There defence was brutal, the 2nd half of the season they were awful.

I agree they score goals, but scored most of them when playing run and gun for Wilson, not the tight defensive scheme that Carlyle coaches.

• habsavvy says:

all I’m saying is, it would be nice to be major players in really trying to get top tier players, instead of being spectators.
          how do we know Bergevin won’t be passive like PG and BG?
          god help us if he’s like them.

• TomNickle says:

Then just say that. And just because Bergevin doesn’t pound his chest in announcement of every intention doesn’t mean he doesn’t intend on pursuing star players.

Okay, I understand your point. BUt it is so early on into MB’s reign as GM that we can’t already judge him as being passive. In fact the single biggest error Burke has made in Toronto was to far to quickly assess the talent in Toronto and feel the team was close to playoff success. This led him to trading the infamous two first round and 1 second round for Kessel.

So he traded Seguin, Dougie Hamilton and Knight for Kessel. It was this panic trade done too quickly by Burke that really set back the leafs. Many of the trades he has made since are quite good and some excellent. But to ask MB to immediately jump in and start making huge trades is a very risky proposition.

BG wasn’t passive he made big trades, some worked and we know which one did not work.

Lets give MB some time, all the while hoping he has irons in the right fires.

• habsavvy says:

last time I looked, habs wre god awful defensively.
          want their swiss cheese?
          just because I disagree with you, doesn’t make my comments stupid?
          It’s called a DIFFERENCE IN OPINION.

You need glasses.

• FishOutOfWater says:

oh man your just the guy today. stats are not the be all and end all.

one thing i agree with.

THE LEAFS WERE BETTER THAN THE HABS….
            last season! 11-12

12-13 they might still be better

but add another top 5 pick and draft max domi. i’d say we’re looking pretty darn good.

• jedimyrmidon says:

So the Habs have a historically awful season and you’re proclaiming the Leafs’ virtues?! This is the LEAFS – haven’t made the playoffs in, what, 7 YEARS?

Sure, Burke seems to be a very active GM trade-wise, but to admire their defensive core is a bit foolish and to overlook their issues in the net is unwise. The last time the Habs made a splash by signing big name players, we got Gomez – no one could have predicted the deterioration of his game, but the consequences have certainly been enormous.

• ZepFan2 says:

“leafs will be, I mean ARE better than the habs.”

:lol: thanks, I needed a laugh today. :lol:

———————————————————————-
        “Them summer days, those summer days” – Sly Stone

Hot fun in the Summertime

• murfdog says:

what in the hell are you talkin about, are you even and habs fan or a leafs fan. how long have you been watchin the habs, the leafs finished ahead of them for the first time in years bud, we had one year totally wrote off, done. im going to stop writing cause i could go on forever right now

35. krob1000 says:

Bergevin not aggressive? He hasn’t even been around for a trade deadline or a July 1 yet? The deals that have gone down so far:
    Staal-went to play with brother
    Schenn-Burke traded to brother and got JVR who he has targeted for a while
    Ribeiro-not exactly a fan favourite in Montreal
    Visnovsky-we have about a half dozen offensive dmen

Not sure which of these guys you are refrring to but sof ar so good…he has asssembled a pretty solid support staff and hit the ball out of the park at the draft at first glance…he signed all of the RFA’s everyone hoped he would …SO FAR SO GOOD IMO. The only questinabe move was Therrien but it si growing on me and if he learned anything from Peter Deboer? maybe it will be a great move…we wanted energy behind the bench..we got it.
    No Roy was a disappointment but I can see where he could perceived as a threat.

36. Kooch7800 says:

Remember these:

Kovy – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3CcEOH6W0A I remember watching that game and was yelling at the TV i was so excited

Frankie B – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCGHwf0I2RE

• Hobie Hansen says:

I was in the building when Kovalev laid that elbow on Tucker. Great night. Montreal played Toronto in Montreal on Thursday and Saturday that weekend and beat them both times, heavily.

That was the end of the Maple Leafs for a long time. They haven’t made the playoffs since we pretty much put them out of playoff contention by winning those two games.

If my memory serves me correct :-)

37. Mavid says:

your obviously easily impressed…Spezza= overated…blind back pass king…glad he plays for the Sens…like I said a midget player could have deeked out Souray..

38. Hali_Hab says:

Holy crap people calm the crap down about the qualifying offers made to second tier players! All bashing the GM saying he has no experience. He has only played or worked in the NHL for most of his life on this planet. But I forgot joe blow on a MSG board knows how to run a professional sports organization .. What a joke. The offers for those players had to be done its called ORGINZATIONAL DEPTH people.

Get a grip

39. frontenac1 says:

Oh yeah Burkies a genius! 4 years no playoffs…”Nuff said

40. habsavvy says:

so while Bergevin is making offers to Enqvist and Palushaj, Burke is going after Nash and Parise.
    that’s why habs will again finish near the bottom.
    Bergevin has ZERO experience as a GM.
    he doesn’t seem to be aggressive either. those are the tools necessary to succeed.
    I like what Burke is now doing. he’s pro active in getting a very strong offence. too bad I can’t say the same thing about MC.
    and those of you who dismiss this comment, take a look at last year’s offence of Mtl compared to Tor.
    Toronto scored more goals than the habs last year, year before , and year before.
    and yet they’re going after Parise and Nash?
    can you say the same about Montreal?
    Tor will be better than Montreal this year.

• Phil C says:

You lost me when you used Burke as an example of how to build a good team.

• Garbo says:

Given Burke’s amazing track record in Toronto, I think he is definitely someone Bergevin should be modeling himself after.

• Kooch7800 says:

Habsavvy…you really think Nash or Parise will be a leaf next year…they don’t have the assets to get nash and Parise has other teams that will be gunning for him. The leafs won’t get either and unless they get a goalie they are in trouble

• TomNickle says:

You made the argument against your own point when you brought up the offensive prowess of each team. Burke already gets enough goal scoring, so going after Nash and Parise is like trying to fix a leak in your roof by redoing your foundation.

Patience is a very overlooked virtue. Ask Peter Chiarelli where his Bruins team would be right now if he’d traded Tim Thomas three years ago and or fired Claude Julien.

IF indeed Burke gets Nash and Parise without gutting more of his defence (Gardner etc.) then sure I will give the credit. But at this point it is just Burke “talking” about getting these guys. Essentially at this point it is an E5 from Eklund.

And I am glad to hear you had a nice conversation with Bergevin and found out indeed his only concern is signing Enqvist and Palushaj. Surprised I miss the presser where he announced it, but that is why I come to this site, because it turns out many people here are very close with MB and enlighten us! ;-)

• steve17 says:

How do you know he isn’t being aggressive? The free agenncy hasn’t even started yet! If Burkie is such a genius, why aren’t the leafs better? Isn’t Burkie the one who was aggressive and signed Komisarek and the great Jeff Finger? Isn’t Burkie the one who gave up what amounts to Seguin, Hamilton and Knight. Wouldn’t Toronto be netter with those 3 assetts instead of just having Kessel. Isn’t Burkie the one that has annointed the Monster and then Reimer his goalies of the future? Give me a break. Bluster does not equate to smart moves and success. Just ask the Red Wings.

Habfan17

• Habsrule1 says:

laffs nation is thataway——————>

Only they would buy your laffs are better rant. laffs miss the playoffs for the 7th year in a row, no changes. Habs miss them once and we clean house.
      Habs will be better this year and for many more to come.

Go Habs Go!!

41. Mavid says:

not sure if you all remember but that so called amazing dangle that Spezza pulled, Souray was at the end of an almost 2 minute shift I beleive we were down to 5 defence as the team was ravaged with the flu..a miget player could have dangled around him…overrated Spezza…again…I would not mind seing him back..wonder if he still has that wicked hard shot that rivals Lurch…

42. JohnBellyful says:

Hab fans are feeling pretty good about the team’s future as a result of Bergevin’s hiring and the people he has chosen, followed last weekend by what appears to have been a splendid draft by Les Canadiens.
    But how realistic are the prospects of a Stanley Cup in the next five years?
    It happens every summer, with Hab prospects giving rise to foolish hopes that are cruelly dashed as reality sets in. Chipchura, Kostitsyn, Fischer … all of them traded after their value proved much less than their lofty promise.
    Other examples abound of optimism turned bitter.
    So what is it to be this time around? To peer into the future you need to look to the past, back to a fellow who was something of a prophet, according to some folks: Nostradamus. You know, the guy whose quatrains – Hab fans take note, now there was a guy who could put four lines together – seemingly foretold great events. He’s been credited, rightly or wrongly, with having predicted the great fire of London, the French Revolution, the rise of Hitler, the atomic bomb and the destruction of the World Trade towers.
    Now a lot of people have debunked what he wrote, saying his writings are so obscure that they can be made to fit any interpretation. Could be, but if you accept that some of his prognostications appear to be eerily on the mark, then it behooves us to closely examine the full body of his work, to see if any of it has relevance to what the future holds in store for the Canadiens. (Take it easy, I’ve done the work for you.)
    And guess what, there is evidence the 16th century French apothecary did have something to say about the fortunes of the Montreal Canadiens in the second decade of the Third Millennium:

A fire once bright reduced to an ember
    Shall by a draft become a tri-coloured phoenix
    That rises on the wing and seizes the chalice
    At the bidding of a master who’s a man of the earth

That to me suggests great things are to come to a team under a much-maligned coach. But as with any of Nostradamus’s quatrains, it’s open to (mis)interpretation.
    Same as the following, which is every bit as cryptic so make of it what you will:

Mount Royal’s legion, fire on ice, shall march to victory
    Bearing 24 pennants, they add one to its number
    Led by a youth, not of his own country
    Defeating the scourge of the West in Stanley Cup final

• habsfan0 says:

Since Nostradamus is a “French” apothecary, he already fulfills one of the requirements to be a Habs coach.

• JohnBellyful says:

Unfortunately, he’s dead-set in his ways.
        On the other hand, as a apothecary, he’s dedicated to turning lead into gold, which most coaches see as their purpose.

• HardHabits says:

I’ve read some of his predictions and Nostradamus was spot on. For example:

Long before such events,
          Those of the East, by virtue of the crescent logo,
          In the 21st century will make a few great draft picks.
          They will clearly rebuild with a cornerstone of Russian descent.

and…

There will soon be talk of a treacherous man, who rules a short time,
          quickly raised from low to high estate.
          He will suddenly turn disloyal and volatile.
          This man will live in Vermont.

This one is eerie…

The great Empire will soon be exchanged
          for a small place, which soon will begin to slow.
          A small place of mediocrity
          in the middle of the pack he will come to lay down his torch.

• JohnBellyful says:

Geez, I missed those ones. I think Nostra’s the real deal.
            I wonder, is it possible MB and the boys have gone over his quatrains in detail and are plotting the future accordingly?
            Which gives rise to that old question: free will or predestination?

• habsfan0 says:

Yes,Nostradamus is dead-set in his ways.

How exactly does that differentiate him from someone like..oh..Jacques Martin?

• Bripro says:

Well John, my friend, in following his predictions, if we prescribe to them, we will never see hockey played at the professional level again.
      First, there’s the Mayan prediction that a monkey will embark on a quest to avoid a natural disaster in modern times.
      That can only be Buttman attempting to insert himself into the immortal world of sports’ greatness!
      And then of course is 2012. Since the world will end in December and the lock-out will still be enforced, the fans will flock to the safety of the arenas as the skies rain fire. This will melt the ice and, well…. bye bye hockey!

• JohnBellyful says:

I hadn’t really thought about the world coming to an end in December or even given much thought to a lockout, trusting that two sides so well compensated would come to their senses before risking a huge loss in revenue. But now you’ve got me regretting getting a two-year subscription to Reader’s Digest, and thinking I’ll be watching a lot of rented movies on Saturday nights.
        And if I see a monkey on the street, should I be worried?

• boing007 says:

You know, the guy whose quatrains – Hab fans take note, now there was a guy who could put four lines together.

Great line.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

43. TomNickle says:

I’ve seen a lot of comments lately saying that we can’t afford to trade prospects. Here’s an updated run down of what we have…..

C – Alex Galchenyuk, Michael Bournival, Joonas Nattinen, Daniel Pribyl, Brady Vail, Gabriel Dumont, Dustin Walsh.

RW – Louis Leblanc, Brendan Gallagher, Danny Kristo, Sebastian Collberg, Steve Qualier, Patrick Holland, Alex Avtsin.

LW – Blake Geoffrion, Mark MacMillan, Tim Bozon, Charles, Hudon, Olivier Archambault.

D – Nathan Beaulieu, Jarred Tinordi, Morgan Ellis, Darren Dietz, Magnus Nygren, Mac Bennett, Dalton Thrower.

Following the 2012 draft this team became one of the deepest in the NHL in terms of prospect depth.

If any team can afford to trade away a prospect or two in order to get a deal done for a star player. It’s the Habs.

• Kooch7800 says:

I agree Tom. Obviously, it would depend on what prospects we would be giving away.

Would be nice to have McD back from the Rangers.

I will be interested to see what MB does this off season. I have a feeling there will be some trades

• Habsrule1 says:

Great post Tom. When you list it that way, the Habs should be in on most serious trade talk involving star players.

Go Habs Go!!

44. Greg says:

Fellow HIO-ers! Come on now, we’re better than this! PK isn’t going anywhere! Not for Nash or Ryan! They’re both overpriced! We all know PK isn’t going anywhere, so let’s talk about something more reasonable, please. No, not Pleks and Gionta being traded either.

How about the CBA negotiations and how they will affect what we can do with Gomez! E.g. NHL wants to get rid of the whole “bury-the-overpaid-guy-in-the-AHL” routine. Could they do that without offering an amnesty buyout? What if they don’t? What if Gomez is stuck on the Habs?

45. Habfan29 says:

Does it not piss anyone off the Linden is already talking about no hockey until after Christmas. Get ready for another lost season, we all know what Donald Fehr did in 1994, that was the beginning of the end for Nos Amours. If there is another strike or lockout, Bettman has go to go!!!!!!!!

• wjc says:

Union bluster….don’t take seriously. Union telling management we are not fooling here buster.

wjc

• Un Canadien errant says:

If there is no hockey, it’s not the players’ fault. They are not going on strike. The owners are the ones who opted out of the current CBA, the one during which revenues grew and they signed the biggest broadcast deal ever with NBC. The owners are preparing to lock out the players. So the owners are the ones who will deprive you of the game you love, in the name of greed. They got everything they wanted last time they tried to kill hockey, a salary cap and 24% wage rollback, but they’re coming back to strangle it a little more.

46. nickster13 says:

I just noticed an odd coincidence. Look at the family/brother groups in the NHL.
    Staal
    Sedin
    Sutter
    Schenn
    Subban
    Schultz
    Stastny
    Stewart

Interesting observation huh!

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

47. TheKarl says:

My thoughts on Engqvist receiving an offer — kinda surprised, not shocked.

I think he will resign for one more year. I’ve always liked the kid, mainly because he was an amazing 2nd line center for my team in Sweden, DIF. But, he has undoubtedly had his chance and he clearly failed to capitalize on it. That being said, I don’t think he’ll go back to Sweden just yet.

A. His production in Hamilton is still increasing, he lead the team in PPGs, goals and was a +/- 0 on a team that finished almost last.

B. More importantly, DIF (tear) was relegated last year after some of the worst on and off ice management I have ever seen. They are the Habs of Elitserien, most championships ever and they put out the worst performance in club history last year…. anyway, I’m still trying to block that out but my point is: he doesn’t have his home team calling for him since they will be playing in the second division next year. Could he still play for another Swedish team? of course, but the temptation won’t be as strong. All this leads me to believe that he’ll give it one more go with Hamilton before looking back across the Atlantic.

Do I think he will ever crack the Habs? probably not, but he is clearly valuable to the Dogs so why not qualify him like MB did?

• Greg says:

He had a big year last year for the Dogs, I think he could be effective in a checking role in Montreal cause he’s such a big guy. You’re right though, this is probably a make or break year for Engqvist.

48. krob1000 says:

Ex Habs I would welcome back ..and that are availalble……….Souray, Bouillon, Andrei K, Pouliot, Lats
    I know many will scoff at Benny, Andrei K and Lats but all would be great on our third line and help Eller to produce. All are phsyical presences and Pouliot and Lats are both relatively tough when challenged although they are not instigators.
    AK hits s as well as 95 percent of NHL forwards and can pot 20 goals easy if paired with Eller and another offesnively adept winger. I know many view it as a step back but I thinkt he steps back were taken when we decimated our depth….Lats is probably the one I would least liek to return given his talk after he was dealt but we know the Franco heritage and new direction could help counterbalance that…
    I think all will be reasonably priced given their age in Boulioon and Souray’s case, Ak had his Radulov partying, Pouliot is what he is and Lats injury issues are a legit scare…but Pouliot on the cheap or even Lats or Ak are welcome IMO. On D character guys are a must and both Bouillon ooze character and can drop the gloves if necessary to defend a teammate.

• steve17 says:

Andrei K didn’t help the first time he was here! None of those guys makes the team better. The Habs are better off giving the kids a chance

Habfan17

• TomNickle says:

99 goals in five seasons’ worth of playing time with the Habs, lead the team in hits last season.

He didn’t help eh? Who did then?

• krob1000 says:

AK didn’t help? when he and Moen played with Eller they were as relaible as any line, when he played with Pleks and Ak they were better than DD’s line last year, AK gets a bad rap for his demeanour and his having been drafted in a strong year and not living up to the comparables of that particular draft…he hits as well as any Hab on the roster, he can score 20 goals and he enjoys Montreal. He is likely happy in Nashville with his brother but if he would return..I would do it. We are still 2 top 9 forwards short…and if you are saying give the kids a chance and rebuild than it is time to let go of several vets…I am fine if they go that direction but I think they are able to contend for a lower end playoff spot…and Ak would help that…he would instantly be worthy of a top 6 role but I would prefer him with Eller on the 3rd.

Given the turmoil AK went through with the playoff escapade in Arizona, he may indeed prefer to come back to Montreal. However, if indeed this was to occur would be on the Habs terms. Possibly a pay cut from last year and a 1 year term.

Just not sure how he and MT would mesh, but he wouldn’t have to worry about a coach not talking to him anymore. Therrien will talk plenty, just might be yelling most of the time. :)

• krob1000 says:

All that yelling might keep AK awake..and when he si awake he is dangerous. He and Martin were not a good pair…
        And about the yelling…most of the kids need that, many of the kdis the Habs have elt go seemed to have those docile personalities that needed a kick ie, Sergei, Andrei, Lats, POuliot…..but Therrien has to be careful with the vets

• K-hab25 says:

I agree. People have been posting how scared they are of what Therrien is going to do to Price, Pacioretty and Subban, but IMO it’s the veterans who he’ll clash with. The guys who were young when he was in Pittsburgh seem to like the guy, it’s the veterans (Gill) who didn’t seem to like him. That makes sense to me. Younger players seem to respond better to hard nose coaches, that yell and get in players faces. Veterans on the other hand, usually have children and don’t respond well to being treated like one. So IMO, the guys who should be worried are Bourque and Kaberle. Two veterans, not known for there hard work.

Proud Pricebot since 2006/2007

• Cal says:

Boullion is the only one from that list I would have back and it’s only because he can hit. The others are sleepwalkers. Presented with an opportunity to be multimillionaires and to get endorsements, players like AK, Lats and Poopoo float along, satisfied.

• neumann103 says:

I would take AK46 back in a heartbeat, particularly at the discount sure to be there after Curfewgate and the associated freakout reaction.

Souray, sure I would consider him in theory but he had enough of a comeback that he would be overpriced

I think Pouliot already signed? Would not have any interest in him anyhow.

Latendresse. Not really but I suppose if you could get him for half what he was making last year on a short term deal to fill a gap, it would not be insane. However I would probably rather just platoon Palushaj or Geoffrion or a few guys like that on the third line to get some ice time with a player like Eller and maybe develop a little.

“Et le but!”

• Garbo says:

I would take AK and Bouillon.

I couldn’t deal with another year of hearing about the “potential” of Lats and Benny though.

They’ve played enough hockey now for everyone to realize they are playing to their full potential…

49. SlimDiggity says:

2012-13 Hamilton Bulldogs Lineup

Gallagher – Leblanc – Palushaj
    Quailer – Bournival – Holland
    Geoffrion – Nattinen – Dumont (not sure on positions here)
    Avtsin – – Berger

Beaulieu – Ellis
    Tinordi – Pateryn
    St. Denis – B. Nash

Dell
    Delmas

Should be a good squad…

• TomNickle says:

Sorry but Geoffrion won’t be a third liner in Hamilton. And the Bergevin braintrust is high enough on Leblanc that he’ll probably be with the big club.

• commandant says:

At least one of Palushaj, Gallagher, Leblanc, Geoffrion, Holland, Bournival, will win a training camp battle and be with the big club. Possibly two.

I also expect a Brian Wilsie/Nigel Dawes/Yannick Leroux type of journeyman AHL veteran to be signed to provide scoring punch. You simply can’t have an AHL squad that is relying on that many 20 year old rookies to put up the points. Looking at positions of strength in Hamilton, it will probably be a centre.

I also bet we see DeSimone back on an AHL contract.

Lastly I think a veteran is needed help on defence. The Re-signing of Garrett Stafford would be good, or another similar AHL journeyman type.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• TomNickle says:

Blunden and Nokelainen’s departures leave the big club with….

Plekanec, Gionta, Bourque, Desharnais, Pacioretty, Cole, Eller and probably Moen.

That’s only eight forwards. I understand you expect Bergevin to sign two UFA forwards but I wouldn’t jump to that conclusion too quickly. Therrien’s hiring was done if for no other reason than to bring kids along.

I expect it to play out like this….

Bourque – Plekanec – Gionta
          Pacioretty – Desharnais – Cole
          Moen – Eller – Leblanc
          Geoffrion – UFA – White

Note: Holland doesn’t have a snowball’s chance in hell of making it.

• steve17 says:

I think if they don’t trade anyone.
      Patches, DD, Cole
      ?, Pleks, Gionta
      Bourque, Eller, leBlanc
      Moen, White, Staubitz

Habfan17

Given that Dallas offered him the 1year 3mill. up from the 1.65Mill. he made last year, it would stand to reason he is looking for a 2 year deal.

So would 2.5per for two years be acceptable for Souray I wonder?

• Cal says:

Probably trying to get an offer from SJ or Anaheim. Late in his career, he may want an offer from a contender, as well. I don’t expect him back north of the border.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I love Souray but if the Habs are worried about overall defensive play in their zone, Souray would only add to the problems.

If Kaberle wasn’t there I’d say go for it but the Habs defesnse needs to improve, adding Souray would only makes things worse.

But if the end of the summer was approaching and we didn’t add any further toughness…bring him in and send Kaberle to Hamilton.

51. frontenac1 says:

What? Poo-Poo and La Tender?! Throw me another Sweet Cap Rosie and make my next a double.

52. TomNickle says:

I have a funny feeling that we’ll be welcoming Sheldon Souray back to the Habs very shortly.

Odd that he would turn down a $3 million deal with the Stars where he would be guaranteed important and significant minutes.

• Kooch7800 says:

If that happens we will have some more highlight reel goals against us

Kooch I remember that Spezza dangle through him like yesterday, but, that was when we were relying on Souray to play all of our big minutes against other top lines. I would love to see Souray play with either Emelin or Markov.

• Kooch7800 says:

Souray’s shot is unbelievable and he is also a tough cookie.

Yes, the spezza dangle was a bad one but I am actually a Souray fan and was sad when he went to Edmonton

• krob1000 says:

his shot is not only unbelievable..it is a left handed shot and our best 2 d don’t mesh on the pp…both PK and Markov prefer the left point. Kaberle plays the rigth side but doesn’t command enough respect shooting so teams overplay Subban’s blast, markov is always a threat to shoot, pick apart any seams and will drop down into the slot or even crease occasionally and his versatility and skill set allows the right side dman to bomb away…we could use a big shot on that side.

• Habsrule1 says:

I liked Souray but I really think that ship has sailed. I find it tough to believe that we’d go back to him. Is there anyone more injury-prone right now? I’d be completely shocked if Bergevin did that.

Go Habs Go!!

• habsguy says:

I remember him kicking the crap out of colby armstrong for trying to make Saku part of the boards !!!

I wouldn’t mind Souray back in the least. He wouldn’t be counted on to play big shutdown minutes, rather be a 2nd or 3rd pairing dman and his shot would help our powerplay.

I do fear though, he has his annual big scrap, pulverizes someone and breaks hand for remainder of season.

• krob1000 says:

I would love that…..he would be around for 2 years…just enough time for Beaulieu and Tinordi to be reliable. He is a tough presence who can also blast away from the right point…which is much needed with Markov back. He is a guy who would run through a wall for a teammate. Sheldon Souray leaving probably precipitated koivu leaving town….nobody was safe in our crease with Souray around….it was a sad day when he decided to leave. I know the money was big but he was worth it if a guy like Gorges is…he was a stand up guy but also put points on the board…I know his defense was iffy.
      IF we got Souray then we may not actually need anopther tough guy on the back end. Go after a Tootoo or PRust and keep Ryan White and team toughness is ok. Moen is a tough call…heart and soul guy…but usually gets top 9 minutes but drags down his line offensively. Defensively he is as resposnible as they come…he is an awesome 4th liner or an average 3rd liner with intangibles….very tough call on Moen…he had a good year last year too. That will be an interesting one….I would love the Habs to get another guy like Allen/O’Brien,etc as well but would settle for a Bouillon type too…but Souray if he would go back to Montreal would be a great choice I think. Character guy and the perfect time horizon to fill the void on htat side of the pp and also for his toughness.

• arcosenate says:

I hope you’re right, Souray was plus 11 last year and cleared the front of the net pretty good, he’s also a team guy to the extreme and that certainly wouldn’t hurt.

53. Kooch7800 says:

For Bobby Ryan….who would be a great fit with his speed and position on LW…..

Would you give up Tinordi, Gallagher (or weber or diaz) and Pleks? remember you have to give to get. I would probably make that trade

• TomNickle says:

No. Plekanec in a good year scores at least 20 goals and contributes in other areas. Bobby Ryan averages in the thirties.

You’re adding a potential 30 goal scorer in Gallagher and a future shut down defenseman in Tinordi.

I would offer……

1. Plekanec and Kristo
      2. Gallagher, Kristo and a 2nd round pick
      3. Weber, Ellis and Holland

A few questions as it relates to Bobby Ryan. Why did Anaheim start floating all these trade rumours, shouldn’t they be building around this kid? He says he wants to go to Philly now, I suspect he prefers to stay in the U.S.

Having said all that, if we could get him for either Package #2 or #3 I would do it in a heartbeat. Not sure about #1, still noodling it in my head.

If I was Anaheim, I am not sure how excited they would be about Kristo, given he could do to them what Schultz just did.

• Kooch7800 says:

I think they are looking for some D men as well that is why I put in Tinordi….but they will also want to replace some of the offense lost.

I wouldn’t want to lose pleks either but I have a feeling they are going to want a nice package to make it happen.

I think he is probably going to end up in Philly….I hate philly lol

• issie74 says:

ITA! can’t play in EDM. can’t play in MTL. our kids are better.

NorthTOHab

• JUST ME says:

Why would anyone give away the hard earned future talent for ONE player ?
      I just don`t get it. Of course Ryan would be a great asset but he would not change the stuation by himself and would become another financial burden. I say be patient and let things fall into place over the next 2 or 3 years without giving up on the future.
      That`s the unfortunate part of being a Habs fan. We would give anything for a cup NOW .

• Kooch7800 says:

rationalization….we have ZERO strong left wingers in the system…
        We have a DD, Eller, Pleks and now Gal at Centre (and Gomer but lets not count him).

On D We have Subban, Emelin, Gorges, Tinoridi, Nathan Beaulieu, Mac Bennett, Morgan Ellis, Diaz, St Denis, Kabby

Bobby Ryan is 25 and is a consistent 30 plus goal scorer with size and speed. Tinordi is going to be a good D but if you think Gallagher can play on the current habs roster in the NHL you are crazy…we are too small already up front.

Could you imagine a Gio, Gallagher Pleks line….we really would be the smurfs

• Greg says:

We just drafted some left wingers. Hudon and Nystrom are both left wingers. And let’s see how Bourque does. What’s the difference between Bobby Ryan and Rene Bourque? 10 goals per year? And Bourque is grittier. The obvious big difference is, we have Bourque, and would have to give up significant assets for Ryan.

• Kooch7800 says:

I would much rather have Ryan than Bourque. Bourque is grittier yes but this team needs goal scoring and Ryan is more consistent offensively.

Regardless you are right in the fact that we currently have Bourque and don’t have to give anything up for him.

• boing007 says:

They (Gallagher, Gionta, Pleks) might be smurfs but they also might score a lot of goals.

Richard R
          Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• jmsheehy19 says:

Behind Galchenyuk, I view Tinordi as the most untouchable of our prospects. So an emphatic no from me.

Though I don’t doubt it would take something like the proposed package to get Ryan.

I would be open to something like Kristo, Beaulieu, a 2nd, and Weber/Diaz/Dietz but I believe we would be outbid.

• steve17 says:

I would not include Beaulieu either. Imagine the nmedia, trading a top, homegrown talent

That aside, he is too godd to let go. If the habs would have to give up their top prospects, then I say, draft and develop their own power forward. Pleks, Pulashaj, Weber, and Kristo or Holland should do it and that is a lot!

Habfan17

• boing007 says:

No with Morgan Ellis as well.

Richard R
        Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• steve17 says:

I would not give up any of the prospects you mentioned. Pleks, Pulashaj, Weber and Kristo.

Habfan17

• habstrinifan says:

Only Ryan?

54. alfieturcotte says:

I sure hope Habs stay real close to the number received by Ondrej Pavelec. Until Price steals some playoff series, he remains a ?.

• showey47 says:

Pavelec got that number without playing an nhl playoff game.

• TomNickle says:

And he wasn’t a first round pick let alone a top 5 pick. No All-Star appearances. Doesn’t sell shirt or hats like Price does.

Completely different circumstances.

Price will be around $5 million annually I think.

• alfieturcotte says:

If he ends up at $5mm, I would hope he does not get longer than 4 or 5 years. He ain’t worth the risk…yet. I would rather keep term short NOW, and pay more later AFTER he actually proves himself to be a winner.

Risk?

• Greg says:

You don’t think he’s proved himself yet?

• Gerry H says:

If Bergevin can get Carey Price’s signature on a contract at $5MM/5 yrs, he should immediately run for the parking lot, yelling “start the car!!”

• boing007 says:

Agree with you wholeheartedly. Let’s wait and see. This year should tell the tale, regardless of mitigating factors.

Richard R
            Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• boing007 says:

What would be the return on profits for shirts and hats if we give Price too much money?

Richard R
          Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• Chuck says:

Touche!

___________________________________________________

Pavelec – 70W, 79L, 25 OT/ties
      Price – 124W, 104L, 35 OT/ties

Both goalies same age. There is a fairly easy argument for Price to get more than Pavelec but less than Rinne.

55. JayK-47 says:

Imagine what Timmins and MB could have done with all their picks AND the Isles picks if they had been offered The Deal?

I bet the CBJ and the NYI smoked (ingested) bath salts before the draft. Insanity. They should both be sent to a firing squad (HR).

• Mad Habber says:

Snow was being Mike Ditka stupid:
      Ditka was roundly criticized for the trading of all of the team’s 1999 draft picks (plus their first round draft pick in 2000) to the Washington Redskins in order to move up in the draft and select Texas RB Ricky Williams (Washington would later use the picks to select future Pro Bowlers Champ Bailey, Jon Jansen and LaVar Arrington)…

And there is no level of stupid (Maybe Houle, but I’m not sure if he was even that dumb) to describe how dumb Howson was for not only turning it down but going to they flyers for goaltending help.

• wjc says:

So Snow and Howson were both stupid. Snow for offering and Howson for not accepting. What am I missing in this equation. Damned if you do…damned if you don’t.

Get Murray/Galchenyuk….loses Murray/Galchenyuk….try for Murray/Galchenyuk….lose Murray/Galchenyuk.

Logically lost……?????

wjc

• wjc says:

It would have cost them Galchenyuk…..no thanks!

wjc

Does anyone have a link to a site showing team by team which RFA’s did not receive a qualifier yesterday?

57. 123456 says:

I’d like to see your RESONABLE offer to CBJ for Nash. Put some thought into it please – Nash for Gomez straight up won’t happen (but then again it can’t hurt to ask right??)

What do you guys think about Nash for Eller and next season #1 pick? CBJ will want at least 1 good roster player w/o a big contrat as well as a great pick.

On the other hand If I was CBJ I’d want: Max, Leblanc and a first and second round pick.

• steve17 says:

The Habs already have their potential “NasH, Galchenyuk. With Patches, Cole, DD, Eller, Leblanc, Gallagher, Quailer, Bozon, Collberg, among others, why give away the store for a cap hit of 7.8 million. Did we not learn from Gomez? On top of that, once you have Nash at 7.8, what will the other players want when their contracts are up? If Ptches does even better this season and if he was better than Nash, how do you offer him less money? I don’t think that is a path the Habs need to take. I think they are better off holding the line and continuing to build through the draft . Do not give up next years first round pick. Even if you think they will do much better, they may not with injuries and such. Why potentially give up a pick around 10 for a guy that will eat up so much cap?

Habfan17

• 123456 says:

I actually agree with a lot of the comments here and below. I do not think the Habs are that far off from a cup run and I think Nash makes the top 6 forwards set. In the bottom six the Habs prob have 3 of them. On D The habs need another top 4 (assuming Markov is great again).

I do not like the long term deals but Nash is certainly not Gomez. We all knew Gomez was overpaid (just didn’t know he was worth nothing) coming in. Nash is not overpaid, maybe he will be in the future but I do not see him losing his skills in the future.

• Cal says:

The Blue Jackets are unreasonable. Only a “pay way too much” kind of offer would suffice. And Nash ain’t that good.

I am with Cal, the price would be huge, his contract is crippling and he is another player you add when about to threaten for Cup. We are still two years away from that at least. I think Nash is an elite player, but we would destroy much of what the team is building to land him.

• The Dude says:

Agree,Nash has ton of years left and would be our first superstar since Lafleur…AND HE’S BIG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• nickster13 says:

I don’t want Nash. Guy is a loser. As in, he doesn’t win. He has always been on loser teams, and only once did Canada get a gold medal with him in the lineup. He and Bouwmeester are classic guys who just cant make their team better despite their skills.

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

I think you may be overstating your point on Nash. While he indeed has not carried the Jackets to any success, I wouldnt classify him as a loser and a player that can’t make the team better. The problem is how much is costs to get him and the size of his contract yearly and the length of it.

• nickster13 says:

Yes I agree those are problems in themself. And are also enough to deter me. But IMO I wouldn’t want him even if the price was lower, he isnt gonna be getting any better, and he never figured out how to win.

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

• Habs4Me says:

I’d prefer Bobby Ryan over Nash. He’s LW which we need and only has a 5.1 mil cap hit. He had 31 goals and 27 assists which is comparable to Nash and his large cap hit. Still young at 25 and under contract for 3 more years. Now that’s a guy worth giving up a 1st rd pick plus a player or 2 for.

• issie74 says:

You do know Mtl.is not on Nash’s list of places to play?

NorthTOHab

• Newf_Habster says:

Nash will NOT go to Montreal because it is not on his list of teams. Move on!

• boing007 says:

I wouldn’t give CBJ the time of day.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

58. boing007 says:

Hicks: … Petteri Nokelainen, who was the team’s most successful faceoff man last season.

How can you not give a qualifying offer to your best faceoff player?

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

Since we’re talking about qualifying offers, here’s an interesting one – Peter Mueller. The Avs did not qualify him and word is they do not plan to pursue him.

Mueller is 24 years old, 6’3″/205 and plays LW. He’s not a great skater but does play LW and the PP. He was your typical kid who was rushed too early and then unfortunately suffered from a string of concussions.

It’s a long shot but beggers can’t be choosers when you finish last and the immediate LW cupboard is bare. Right now, who do we have (or could get) that will be able to take over the empty LW spot come October?

For me, that’s the burning question going into Sunday. The second question being who is going to fill the empty 4th line centre spot? Looking for a third player, how about a low cost Dman who can clear the front of the net and make Price’s life easier?

• 123456 says:

Rights to talk to Meuller for a conditional 7th round pick. It can’t hurt to talk to the guy and his agent and if it plays ut the Habs get him for a bad pick and likely a small contract.

• jmsheehy19 says:

I brought up Mueller last night with the same idea. I think he’d fit in well on Eller’s wing (especially if it’s decided that Leblanc would be better served playing first line in Hamilton). And, assuming we don’t get Doan or someone else for the second line, Mueller would be an able replacement for Bourque if the latter doesn’t improve on his game from last year.

Also, I’ve just always liked Mueller. So I’m biased.

The guy has alot of talent, I would have no issues with the team looking at him as a reclamation project. When that trade first happened, Wolski for Mueller I thought Colorado was crazy, they were two young forwards whom both appeared to be on their way to decent careers. Now Wolski has been passed around like an offering plate and Mueller isn’t even given a qualifier.

Hope the kid can get healthy first and foremost.

• Kooch7800 says:

Mueller is good but I think the injuries have really set him apart. He missed a long time with Post concussion symptoms. He may not be 100% still and that is why Colorado is not qualifying him

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

I understand, but if you get him for virually nothing, he could end up being a very effective 2nd/3rd line Left winger. I am not saying we should definitely go get him, but is a player worth looking into.

Has to be healthy first, having not followed him at all last year, have no idea how he is currently doing. His name does kind of jump off that list though of RFA’s not qualified.

60. Captain aHab says:

Larry Robinson alone would not make the Habs into Starley Cup hopefuls but he would be yet another piece showing that respect for the winning tradition is back.

With how long it’s taking to name the D coach, it has to be that they’re looking at someone under contract so I’ll remain hopeful.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• Cal says:

Howson should have been fired at the end of last season. All those picks literally thrown away for Murray? That’s a jawdropper.

• 123456 says:

Agree, from what I have read it’ snot like the #2 pick was that much abouve any pick at #4. I would have declined the trade as well IF I thought Murray was the next Lindstrom, but I’m not convinced.

• wjc says:

But, Murray (or someone like him) could have been a cornerstone for a team with plenty of previous draft picks. Smart move if he could have pulled it off. My opinion only. Try to imagine you could give up all your other draft picks and pick up Mario Lemieux . Not saying there is/was a Mario in that group, but changes your outlook a bit.

Get a corner stone player Galchenyuk, Murray etc. or a bunch of later draft picks. No brainer

wjc

• 24 Cups says:

My thoughts are simple – both Howson and Snow should be fired after that rumour came to light.

• wjc says:

Why fire Howson he turned it down. So you want it both ways. If it happens it is wrong/stupid….if you accept wrong/stupid.

I am confused, was it just a rumor, was it a fact. Big difference between a provable fact and a rumor.

wjc

• Clay says:

He should be fired for turning it down. Snow should be fired for offering it.

__________________________
          ☞ The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard Feynman ☜

• jmsheehy19 says:

Rumor, but one being reported by nearly everyone. If true, I’d agree with 24 in that it shows the ineptitude of both. Snow for offering it, Howson for turning it down.

Though an interesting point was brought up yesterday about how much money those picks would eventually cost CLB, still could have just not signed some to contracts, or at the very least work out some other deal if Snow was that desperate for the pick.

Also, is Murray going to be THAT much better than Reinhart?

Just seems like a weird trade period. By the way WJC the NHL.com website is showing the story as well.

Seems to me it explains why both teams are mired in the bottom of the league for years.

• Newf_Habster says:

I personally think both GMs are stupid and vice versa.

Also Columbus fired several of their scouts a few hours after the dratt.

61. HabFanSince72 says:

Blackhawks draft picks:

2003: 14
    2004: 3
    2005: 7
    2006: 3
    2007: 1
    2008: 11

Penguins draft picks:

2002: 5
    2003: 1
    2004: 2
    2005: 1
    2006: 2

In other words, one high draft pick just ain’t enough.

Pittsburgh, LA and Chicago won the Stanley Cup by failing to make the playoffs for 5 or more years in a row. That’s what is behind the “genius” of Dale Tallon, Ray Shero and Dean Lombardi.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Cal says:

Both those teams did not have the likes of Price, Subban, Eller, Pac, DD, Emelin, and Gorges already in place.
      For those 2 teams, 1 high draft pick wasn’t enough. Despite views to the contrary, BG and PG did not leave the cupboard bare.

• ross says:

You might be cherry-picking your stats though. Look at the other three most recent teams too, and *their* five/six years before winning the Cup.

Detroit first draft picks:

2006: 11
      2007: 4
      2008: 2
      2009: 5
      2010: 15
      2011: 49

These teams have high draft picks (except for Detroit, wtf? I knew they had good drafting, but not *that* good..), but none of them needed the 1/2/1/2 or 3/./3/1 stacked drafts of Pittsburgh and Chicago, respectively, and they still won the Cup.

• toinz says:

Of those Hawks picks, a 3 was for Barker and a 7 was for Skille.

They got the 1by winning the lottery in a year where there was only 1 good player available.

They didn’t win by tanking. They got lucky while they were bad.