Habs release list of qualifying offers to their RFAs

lars-eller

Lars Eller is among the Habs to whom the team has extended a qualifying offer.
François Lacasse, NHLI via Getty Images

No colossal surprises this afternoon as the Canadiens released the list of those restricted free agents to whom they’ve extended qualifying offers as of the 5 pm ET deadline.

Those receiving offers: defencemen P.K. Subban, Raphael Diaz, Alexei Emelin, Brendon Nash and Frédéric St-Denis. Plus: forwards Lars Eller, Ryan White, Aaron Palushaj, Blake Geoffrion and Andreas Engqvist.

If these players fail to sign by July 1, they will become restricted free agents. Then, other teams can submit offer sheets to them which the Habs can match.

Conspicuously absent from the qualifying offer list: Michael Blunden.

The Canadiens elected a few days ago to take RFA goalie Carey Price to salary arbitration, a clerical move that heads off any offer-sheet ambush. No doubt GM Marc Bergevin is working on a deal for his franchise goalie, who surely is by now aware of the five-year, $19.5-million offer agreed to this afternoon by Winnipeg Jets RFA goalie Ondrej Pavelec.

1. habstrinifan says:

I am reposting HABFANSINCE 72 post and my response here because THIS is the one post that you must accept this morning.

Read it; cancel all plans for next June and enjoy the march to cup 25th:
    ” We’re all optimistic about the new management and the recent draft, with good reason.

But in the short term, can anyone think of any reason why we’re going to make the playoffs next year?

Does a combination of a healthy Gionta and Markov, a one year older PK, Patches, DD, Emelin, maybe Diaz, and a couple of UFAs turn the last place team into a contender?”

My answer: Larry Robinson!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I quote Monsieur Marc Bergevin, un gestionnaire très sage générale,
    “It would be foolish not to listen to someone of that stature when he were to become available”.

Geez people! Even I, known for reading between the lines when someone say “F–OFF” to me… didnt have to THIS time.

• wjc says:

The answer is not in one coach. You are already setting the bar to high. He knows the honeymoon would last only so long. The first losing streak or defensive slump would make Robinson into the biggest idiot the fans in Montreal have ever seen.

I don’t think he wants to go the same route as many in Montreal…Gainey comes to mind, Carboneau. It is a short trip to the out house in Montreal and if they guy still wants to coach why not stay in New Jersey or go to Dallas anywhere but a hockey mad market The chance of failure is way too high to risk your health and reputation.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Short trip? Gainey was here 10 years. He was only fired after the worst showing since 1940.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• wjc says:

Left the team much better then he found it. Was already heading for the out house in year 3. Stood firm on Price and got attacked. Drafted Halak and instead of being praised for a great/late pick he got accused of playing favorites.

Things go on behind the scenes that are hushed up. Player gets moved and a bad trade happens. Fans are never privy to all the info.

Short or long trip the outhouse is still the destination.

• Clay says:

HFS72 says (and correctly so) that this was the worst showing since 1940, and you counter with the argument that Gainey “Left the team much better then [sic] he found it”.
            Something doesn’t add up here…Unless Gainey found the team in 1939 or so…

__________________________
            ☞ The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard Feynman ☜

• Habsrule1 says:

Very nice but if the Habs hopes to make the playoffs depend on a Defense Coach, we’re in worse shape than I thought. In my opinion, with 200 man games less lost due to injury last year (what the next worse team had), we make the playoffs.
      This “rebuild” will be much quicker than people think.
      And if I’m wrong, we get another good draft pick.
      It’s win-win.

Go Habs Go!!

• commandant says:

We were also incredibly unlucky last year.

Our record in shootouts and one goal games was attrocious.

Heck our goals for/goals against for the entire season was better than Florida who made the playoffs, and much better than all the teams around us in the standings. We were not nearly as bad as the record showed.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• Clay says:

I disagree – we were exactly as bad as the record shows. We would have done better in one goal games if we had better players overall. We would have done better in shootouts if we had better goal scorers – and occasionally better goal-tending (although I think overall Price did well in shootouts, and the lack of finishers killed us).

A good portion of games in the NHL are one goal games. Good teams win more of them.

__________________________

• Habsrule1 says:

I disagree. When you lose by one goal, you are not that much worse than your opponent, and a player like Markov or Gionta could have made the difference. Of course, that also speaks to the depth not being as good as it should, but no other team last as many games due to injuries to such key players (except Pittsburgh and we all know they have very good depth).
            Point being if our injuries were on par with the rest of the NHL, we would have made it.

Go Habs Go!!

• Clay says:

I am not saying we are ‘that much worse’, just that we are worse. Sure we would have done better with key players in the lineup. Here is it is exactly the lack of depth I am talking about. Injuries happen, and as you correctly point out, Pittsburgh had more, yet did great. And they had better players out of action than we even have on the team. We need to get better all around.

__________________________

• Habsrule1 says:

Actually we had more injuries than anyone else. I’m just saying, with the same line-up and a normal amount of injuries, we would have made the playoffs. That tells me that if some players progress and some are replaced with better players, and we have a regular amount of injuries, we’ll make the playoffs, so the rebuild should be relatively short if we do things right. We should be a good team in a couple years when some of the highly touted prospects are ready to play in the NHL.

Go Habs Go!!

• Clay says:

The goal should not be to simply make the playoffs though. We are not Florida; the cup is the only goal worthy of the Habs.

__________________________

• commandant says:

The goal is not to simply make the playoffs. But teams typically don’t go from being out of the playoffs to immediately winning the Stanley Cup.

Its a learning experience. Playoff experience makes young players better. Even if we lose in the first round, another round of playoff experience will be valuable to Pacioretty, Subban, Price, Eller, Emelin, Desharnais, and all the young players on our squad. They will learn the pressure of Montreal, and the intensity of the playoffs. This can only help them going forward.

Rebuilding/retooling is about a progression. These kids (and our new draftees, and Tinordi/Beaulieu etc…) need to grow together. Some at the AHL level, some in the NHL, and some still in junior. But I truly believe being part of a successful organization helps with growth.

I think our 2007 Calder Cup win, helped us finish first in the East in 2008. I think the Sens 2011 Calder Cup win helped their prospects contribute to the 2012 squad that surprised pundits.

I believe the Penguins 2007 first round loss and 2008 Stanley cup loss helped them win in 2009. Same for the Hawks 2009 third round loss in 2010. The Bruins (UGH!) losing a 3-0 lead in 2010 helped them in 2011. The Kings losing to the Canucks, helped them this year.

Its all about learning and the experience is valuable.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• Habsrule1 says:

Agreed. That will take time. We will hopefully be less injured AND improve this year and make the playoffs. Hell, anything can happen from there, but I see the perennial contenders label taking a couple more years.

Go Habs Go!!

• wjc says:

You are pulling my leg…..you are aren’t you. When he joined them in 2003 or so….after that he made them better. Draft picks, you know who they are first place finish, round 3 playoffs….takes time to build through the draft, you do have to be lucky.

Left them better, Gautier and Gainey put a lot of talent in the cupboard. Who drafted/traded for all those juniors going to Hamilton. Stars in Montreal Subban/Patracety/Geoges/Price….who brought Cole in.
        Gionta, Halak

Bergeron has an interesting situation to work with, I for one am very pleased with the major body of his work. Not perfect thou….who is?

• RGM says:

Big Bird on his own is not the answer. You can’t coach toughness and compete level. Those were two glaring weaknesses on the Habs blueline last year. Beyond Subban, Gorges, and Emelin, this team was beyond “soff” back there. Robinson would be tremendous in helping the talents we have further enhance themselves, but the bodies occupying the sweaters have to be upgraded first. We have some good reasons for optimism, and if Robinson were to join the staff that would certainly be one of them. But first we need to count on a 100% healthy Markov and upgrades on Campoli, Weber, and Diaz. I know Campoli won’t be back, but the latter two must step up considerably or Bergevin will be compelled to scour the market on July 1st.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! Maybe 2012-13 will be our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

2. Bouleau noir says:

There is a high consensus among a large variaty of sources who have ranked the Canadiens as being the organisation who stand to benefit the most from this week-end draft in Pittsburgh.

Le mot d’ordre from Bergevin was to look for talent/caractère and Timmins delivered in spades…… all the way down to our last pick Eriq Nyström at #154.

Here is Nyström bio on ELITE/HOCKEY/PROSPECTS/EURO
    ” A speedy and technically skilled player with very good vision, moves the puck impressivelly at high speed. Also a hard working player.”

Timmins said he noticed him up in Sweeden while scouting someone else even added that this guy could be the sleeper in this year’s NHL draft…… man, wouldn’t that be something else….. anyway what a week-end that was.

3. Habitant in Surrey says:

…funny that now We have tasted ‘filet mignon’ drafting high in this Draft, that We now disdain much of the ‘hamburger’ already in Our System pre-Draft

…it will be a schock to Our new high sensibilities and standards making the Playoffs next season and have to go back to selecting in the 15 to 20 range again :)

• RGM says:

Who is? I haven’t scrolled through the entire thread but you must admit that much of the contents of the system aren’t really on the same level as the guys that we have just brought on board. There’s a difference between legitimate concern about a player’s NHL capabilities and disdain.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! Maybe 2012-13 will be our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

4. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Sabres already starting negotiations for contract with Grigorenko

• JayK-47 says:

Still blocked :(

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

Given Justin Schultz’s skills set I am thinking he and Jarred Tinordi would be a great fit as partners on defence. Nice to dream a little.

• Habilis says:

*re-posting my reply to an earlier thread, interested as to what y’all think;

Schultz has apparently said that he wants to either play close to home (Kelowna, BC) or on a team with former Wisconsin teammates. Plus he wants guaranteed playing time on a NHL roster. All this from a guy who has yet to play a shift in the pros on any level. Oh and lest we forget that he basically screwed Anaheim out of a draft pick because he felt like it. Do we really want this guy in the Habs organization?

• Mike D says:

Valid points.

– Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

I have no problem with Schultz deciding to become a free agent, he was just following the rules and deciding to finish school. You don’t get the opportunity often to become a free agent so why not take advantage of it. Other than that I can’t say much about his character because I know very little about him.

• Habilis says:

It’s my understanding that even though he’s a free agent he can still only sign a maximum entry level deal, so what’s the benefit of becoming a free agent other than being able to choose his own team and dictate his playing time? Granted those are great options to have but to me that is something that should be earned, not given to you before you’ve ever played a game because you found a loophole in the CBA.

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

You are correct about the entry level deal but I believe he is also eligible for performance bonuses. It’s a great option to choose your place to play, it’s a better option than wasting away in a bad organization. I noticed Ryan Murray didn’t look overly happy about being drafted by Columbus. One thing about Justin Shultz we know for sure, playing in a nice climate is not a big priority as Anaheim has awesome weather.

5. SlovakHab says:

I would love to see Habs either be at least top-8 team in NHL next season, or draft highly again (We got Gally + Collberg, who wouldn’t be there at #40).

Enough of 1-st round exits and then drafting the likes of Leblanc 17-20 overall. Whilst I really like Louis, I am not sure how is he a (future) impact player in the mold of Tavares, Duchene, Evander Kane, B. Schenn, Ekman-Larsson, Victor Hedman etc. who were top 6 picks in the same draft.

6. Wayne says:

Diaz? Palushaj? Engqvist?
    Correct me if I’m wrong here but, has any of the new management seen any of the Habs games last season? And please don’t try to sell me Diaz’s surgical point shot of the PP. It doesn’t justify the fact he’s still a mosquito in his own end.
    This will be Palush’s third year! He’s a career minor at best and this Engqvist dude just plain sucks. Don’t waste your money Geoff.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I don’t get your point. Are you advocating that we throw these players out, for absolutely no return? And then compete with other teams in free agency for their throw-aways and odds and ends? When we already had these marginal players locked up at reasonable cost?

We need 23 bodies in Montréal and the same in Hamilton, plus we’ll have injuries. How do you intend to fill out these rosters?

• HardHabits says:

Tanker.

• showey47 says:

Stop making sense.

• Wayne says:

I did ask to be corrected and thanks for that. I see your point. I admit, I’m not as familiar with the inner workings and details it takes to manage a club’s assets as you and others on this board.
        I do think, however, past management(s) has dialed up more free agent signings and trade stinkers on a consistent basis that it can’t be ignored any longer. I just hope there are better eyes and ears and yes, connections around the league with this new bunch at the steering wheel. Maybe they WILL be better at trading our crap for something less crappy we can work with… unlike the past.

• steve17 says:

I am not sure about Engqvist yet, but I agree that Pulashaj had a great opportunity last season to prove his value, and he did not! There are those here that say he is good and young and the Habs should give him another shot. Then when I suggest they trade him or package him with someone else for a top 6 left wing, they say, who wants the Habs garbage. Which is it, he is worthy of the 3rd line spot or he is a minor league player.

I go with maybe a 3rd line, but more likely a minor league player. I think that the Habs have more talented young right wings who should get the chance on the 3rd line. If other GM’s see him as a viable 3rd line player, let them take him and get something in return.

I am not sure why the Habs did not give Blunden a qualifying offer. In limited time he was a leader in hits and blocked shots, has size, played for Canada at the world juniors and was a good fit in the 4th line. I’d take him over Pulashaj.

If Galchenyuk makes the team, maybe putting Avtsin on his wing in preseason would be good. Avtsin is supposed to be highly skilled and has size. Perhaps Galchenyuk can bring the best out of him! Put Bourque on the left side. Potentially great 3rd line.

Habfan17

• wjc says:

Why don’t you consider training camp to sort all this out. If someone beats him out at training camp, he becomes an extra player or goes to Hamilton. Last year was, last year. Things change, players mature and it sorts itself out.

You don’t just toss players out and then wonder why they flourish somewhere else.

• steve17 says:

In Pulashaj’s case. if another Gm wants him and offers something decent, you move him. The Habs have a stockpile of right wings that are as good and better than him. By the time training camp comes, rosters are filled and barring injury, teams would not trade for him. On top of that, if he is beaten out for a spot, he would have to clear waivers to be sent down and then a team could get him for nothing.

Habfan17

• jon514 says:

It was Diaz’s first year and he put up ok points and was at the all star game. Not saying I like how “SOFFff” (TM Therrien, 2007) he is as a D, but I think it’s too early to give up on him.
      Palushaj played with Patches in junior where they had great chemistry. I believe the habs have decided to make him a project player in order to keep Patches happy and in hopes of creating team depth.
      Engqvist was never a scorer, but after all the call-ups last year, he changed his game in the second half of the season in Hamilton, and ended the season as their top scoring center. I believe they have him sloted as a big body 4th liner.

• Cal says:

Diaz is a 26 year old tiny tot. Weber and St-Denis are tiny tots, too. Having 1 soft tiny tot on D is enough for any team. Adding softie toffee Kaberle and the D has too many holes to be competitive. Diaz, Weber and St-Denis have to go. They are too small to compete against all the big players that every team has up front. No market for Kaberle right now so, like Gomez, Habs are stuck with him unless they demote or buy out.
        Palushaj and Enqvist are victims of the numbers game. Palushaj played on the 4th line- and there’s no way in the world he belongs there. Enqvist is too soft for the 4th line in Montreal, where he started the season. 4th liners have to bring energy by skating hard and hitting D. Those 2 players aren’t built that way.

• zip by says:

i would agree that we should trade one of the swiss D – of the two i would keep Diaz – smarter, better vision.

No way I would trade St Denis – like Desharnais he has made the big club undrafted through hard work – smart player. Kaberle goes before this guy as far as i am concerned.

Someone mentioned bringing up Avtsin – saw him once last year and he looked completely lost – may have skills but i don’t see any hockey sense. Also he is a string bean, a small breeze can knock him over. I give him 1 more year with the Dogs to bulk up and show his quality.

7. jmsheehy19 says:

The Avs didn’t qualify Peter Mueller. Could be an interesting option if we don’t mind taking a chance on his health.

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

I’m pretty sure they wiill sign him at a discount price. I doubt they will let him walk for nothing. Same with Latendresse in Minnesota.

• Phil C says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but if a player is not qualified, he becomes a UFA, which means he can sign with whomever he wants, the team will lose him for nothing unless the player choses to sign back with the club as a UFA. Any CBA experts who can confirm?

• jmsheehy19 says:

That’s what I was thinking. And would give Eller a line mate with some talent.

• steve17 says:

I thought Mueller is a centre. The Habs have enough talented wingers to put with Eller.

Habfan17

• Malreg says:

He becomes a UFA on July 1st, but the team can still sign him before then even though they have not qualified the player.

• Bill H says:

Yes Phil, my understanding is that a qualifying offer must be something like 10% more than the expiring contract. If a player’s value has fallen significantly so that the team does not want to give him a raise, but they still want to sign him, then they would not bother to qualify the player, and would then try to sign him as a UFA for a lower price. But more often, the team just releases the player and does not pursue him.

• DMAN says:

Hey, he could be the big centre we are looking for. Oh wait we have our big centre now.

• jmsheehy19 says:

Well he’s played wing before, so I was thinking more along those lines.

• wjc says:

To be perfectly frank, your big center will be probably going to Sarnia to dominate hopefully. He would have to beat Gomez out for center, and that is not going to happen.

I know Gomez is the favorite “whipping boy” at the moment, but I am predicting a comeback year if he has Gionta. If they re-create the magic in New Jersey and load up a big winger on the other side. Could be interesting.

Please, do not cheer for Canadiens and hope for Gomez to fail. This is counter productive. Give Galchenyuk a chance to mature, I figure a year and a half. One in Junior and some time in Hamilton. He has to earn it. Besides the fans expectations would destroy him.

8. DMAN says:

Any chance we go after Justin Schultz? Do we have a chance of signing him? What could we offer him that noone else can?

• nickster13 says:

A real hockey market with a chance of success. Both those things that teams like edmonton and toronto or others cant offer.
      Also we can offer him actual playing time, as he would likely supplant the 5th and 6th D on our team, unlike a team like Vancouver which has 4 guys easily ahead of him.

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

• commandant says:

I’m pretty sure Bergevin said we are putting together an offer.

Can we get him? I doubt it…

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• nickster13 says:

I also doubt it. But we could make a good pitch. Though im pretty sure the reason he is getting out of anaheim is that he has a specific place in mind that he wants to play. And I doubt its edmonton like people predict.

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

• jedimyrmidon says:

Hope it’s not the Leafs. Everyone everywhere would never hear the end of it. Though it’s also interesting that Edm almost seems to think he’s guaranteed to be going there.

• wjc says:

Sorry to disagree, but Edmonton and Toronto are real hockey markets. Edmonton is building a power house (you must see that). Toronto is slowly going to make headway.

People are so used to Toronto being down, that they can’t imagine them becoming a threat. They are Montreal’s greatest rivals and cause the most excitement when they play. I know some are nervous about Toronto and spend too much time focusing on them.

I am not a Toronto fan, but I am realistic. What is better then a Toronto Montreal game on a Saturday night, especially if Toronto is good competition. Even Montreal wants Toronto to improve, because it is good for business.

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

Apparently he wants to play in Canada so perhaps an outside chance. Edmonton will go hard for him and he could get excited about playing there considering all the good young forwards they have. Toronto will also go hard as Burke is in a hurry to build a winner and he did play with Jake Gardiner before. Hard to say.

• Habilis says:

• steve17 says:

I would! Having Subban with a grit guy then Shultz with maybe Tinordi would give the Habs 2 strong pairings for a long time. Then with Beaulieu and another “tough” dman, they may just be one of the best defences in the league within a couple of years.

Habfan17

• steve17 says:

Personally, I think he will sign in Edmonton, with the players they have drafted in the last 3 years and the opening they have, he will get the ice time he wants and within a couple of years, they should be contenders…if they develop as expected!

Habfan17

• steve17 says:

I think he will sign in Edm. With the forwards they now have and the fact they need defence, the minutes and spot are there if he proves he is ready for them and with offence up front, they can be like the oilers of the early 80’s if they gel as a team. Obviously not as dominant, but still very good for many years!

Habfan17

9. HabFanSince72 says:

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• TomNickle says:

A healthy Markov absolutely makes the Habs a playoff team. Barely.

Without more nasty “I don’t give a rats ass if you call me for a penalty that guy who just snow showered Price is getting a cross-check in the back and punch in the face” mentality. The team isn’t going anywhere meaningful.

• JayK-47 says:

Tons of addition by subtraction.

No more JM silent treatment
      No more passive “system”
      No more PG micromanaging
      No more uncertainty.

Still some work to be done. An upgrade on defense and another forward who can pot 20+ goals. And those answers will come soon enough.

The only question mark for me is, will Rene Bourque show up this season?

• steve17 says:

We hope they will not play a passive system!

Habfan17

• wjc says:

Bowman treated most of his players like crap, didn’t aknowlege them
        Just happened to have lots of talent.

Polack collected rare chickens as a hobbie and told nobody, nothing.
        Never eliminate uncertainty, nothing is for sure..injuries happen, players fade mentally sometimes, the list is endless.

• Gerry H says:

I think with a healthy Markov, and less injury losses overall, more progression from Subban, Pacioretty, Eller, Emelin and Desharnais, this team could absolutely be a solid playoff team. I also think that without upsetting the development program, the Habs have the openings and the cash to plug in a short-to-medium term veteran contract or two. Throw in a tough defensive Dman and a winger like Parenteau or even Jagr and they could even win a round or two.

What makes it fun is the knowledge that the development side should make a huge difference over the next 3-5 years.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Let’s not worry about the playoffs. We’re building for the future. We’ll add a few reasonably priced free agents to non-anchor contracts, play hard, develop our young talent in the farm, and see where we are at the end of the season. No trading away second round picks for rentals. If we miss the playoffs again, so be it.

• TaxGuy says:

I’ve been thinking about that same question. In addition to the things that you mentioned, I expect our returning players to respond positively to the new coaching staff, and the overall sense of direction that Bergevin has established. I think we have a decent shot at a playoff spot but will not be a real contender next year. That being said, I am optimistic about our chances of becoming a contender in 3 – 4 years. Bergevin has strengthened the organization at all levels and followed up with a strong draft. While he is still new to the position, I am confident that he and his staff will continue to make good hockey decisions to build our skill and depth in the coming years.
      Making the playoffs next year would be great, but I think our focus should be on building a potential cup winner. Bergevin’s emphasis on scouting and player development are very important. We need to pick the right players and invest in their development. We need to make astute, non-reactionary trades as the opportunities arise. We need to do our homework before trading for a player or signing a free agent. We need to build a consistently good team that will on occasion be only a few players away from winning it all. Then we can take a shot at getting the player to put us over the top.
      This will all take a few years, but the wait will be worth it.

• FishOutOfWater says:

There are many a factors to attribute with this success (playoff berth)

cole-max-dd are all healthy and continue to play with the same intensity that we saw them play with last season.

Eller and Bourque put together a improved season. with the help of gionta and his recovery

Pk-Gorges-Emelin Continue to develop as top 4 dmen and chip in a few goals here and there.

Markov is a huge factor. if he returns to shape it makes us a bubble team. maybe bringing with him a power play that works.

COACHING CHANGE HELLO

Plekanec leads the charge WITH MOEN on the league dominating pk. LL studying pleks if he aint in hamilton.

CAREY PRICE MUST REMAIN HEALTHY and play 60 or less games this year. budaj can hold his own once the team is bolstered with ufa’s and trades and maybe there’s a surprise come camp.

we have alot of things to be excited about this season and alot of young talent to watch. but we have a shortage of nhl quality depth players. if MB solves this problem the next 5 years are gonna be a fun ride

• JUST ME says:

I see many reasons although i remain cautiously optimistic until the promising youngsters make it to the big team.

Avg of 5 injured players per game last season.
      Lots of underachievers.
      Ahl players did not do the job.
      Incoming players through tades ?
      New team spirit.
      Poker faces are gone.
      Cannot do much worse !

So yes i think it is possible to make the playoffs but again ,this will be a season of transition but with Bergevin`s attitude and the new structure in place we can be hopeful.

• Cal says:

I really don’t see the perfect sh!tstorm of a myriad injuries and all vets under-performing simultaneously repeating itself. Although I may have just explained the laffs last 45 years. Hmmmmmmm…..

• wjc says:

You forgot the Gomez comeback with his pal Gionta. You mentioned players maturing. Remember (or maybe not) Lafluer wasn’t Lafluer for the first couple of years (3 years I think) then he exploded.

Some on here would have nagged him off the team and maybe even boo-ed him. Like when they tried to run Carey Price out of town, booing him in the pre-season. The more mature and confident Price told them to “chill out”….loved it.

They boo-ed Savard to tears and Robinson also. Robinson’s response one night was to go end to end and score, unbelievable.

10. BeachHabFan says:

Any takers for shane doan? know he’s pricey (esp if we have gomer on the payroll – which we should, since it’s gonna be his BIG COMEBACK YEAR (again) – but the leadership, drive, and consistent 50-60 pt seasons would be a big improvement over the AK46/insert bulldog name here combo

11. frontenac1 says:

Sign Staubitz,He’s needed.

• Bigdawg says:

Love Stauby!!

He seemed to have won over the room and some habs seemed inches taller when he was in the line up. Great determination -> he’s earned the right to come back as the extra forward to play vs Bruins and others.

Woot woot, Go Stauby go!!

• DorvalTony says:

Yeah we’ve never had Staubitz, White and Moen healthy at the same time. Add Tinordi (eventually) and we’re respectable. Pierre Lebrun was floating Ott to Mtl, who knows but if so that makes Blunden or maybe Moen-er superfluous.

“Hi, this is P.J. Stock for Depends.”

12. aj says:

I’m glad that the NHL can still operate in its formal business in the regular season come Sept 15 w/o any stoppage or disruptions. Yet, its going to be a 50-50 split here IMO. I’m feeling the NHL will not give in anymore with the NHLPA with a 57-43 stake at the CBA.
    Who do you side:

(a) The players – keep the current 57-43 agreement.
    or;
    (b) The league – a possible 50-50 split like what happened with the NBA.

• Un Canadien errant says:

It astounds me that anyone even thinks of siding with the owners, and their facile 50-50 split. The players are who we pay to see, not the owners. I don’t care about Jeremy Jacobs and Charles Wang, they’re all crooks and monopolists and fraudsters. Why they get half the money they declare, plus all that they embezzle is inexplicable.

The 50-50 split sounds reasonable to simpletons, since it harkens back to kindergarden, when we were taught to share and share alike. It does not apply to this situation however. The owners recklessly cancelled a season, locking out the players and depriving fans of the game they love, in order to obtain ‘cost certainty’, which was a hard salary cap. The players’ share of revenue was rolled back from more than 60% down to 57% at that point, accomplished by the players taking a 24% pay cut. Eight years later the owners come back and ask for more cuts? To support hockey in moribund locales like Phoenix and Uniondale? So that more of the inflated ticket prices and jersey sales end up in their pockets? How exactly will you benefit personally from another lockout to prop up those franchises? Wouldn’t you be better off with fewer hockey teams, with less diluted talent, with franchises in Canada, where they will draw fans?

Give your head a serious shake. The only reason there won’t be hockey in the fall is because of owner greed. They’re the ones who opted out of the current CBA, and they’re the ones who will lock out the players. The players would gladly continue to play under the current conditions, but Gary Bettman won’t, so that Phoenix doesn’t have to meet a salary floor that he agreed to less than a decade ago.

• K-hab25 says:

I pay to see the Habs, no matter who is on the team. If it weren’t for those owners, there would be no league.

Proud Pricebot since 2006/2007

• neumann103 says:

That is nonsense.

If it weren’t for these owners there would be other owners. There will not be a shortage of megalomaniac rich guys looking for the ego stroking of owning a pro sports team. Rarely makes a difference.

On the other hand we have an example of what happens when you decide the players are interchangeable with lesser talents that could not have made big leagues. The 1987 NFL lockout. It was so successful they made a Keanu Reeves film out of it.

“Et le but!”

• wjc says:

A rose is still a rose…. an owner is still an owner…another owner is still an owner……Hockey is a business, it is the entertainment business. The business needs owners.

You want to be an owner, start saving your pennies until they are dollars and when you have about a billion of them, apply.

Can’t be a player….not good enough…can’t be an owner…not rich enough…can’t teach/coach not smart enough/experienced enough.
            I know be a critic…can you type…great…type away. (lol)

• Un Canadien errant says:

K-hab25, think again. You had no attachment to Jean Béliveau, Guy Lafleur, Ken Dryden, Patrick Roy, Saku Koivu? These guys were just interchangeable cogs? Their personality had nothing to do with your love of the Canadiens?

The game is what it is because of the players. They’re paid very well to play a game they love, but that’s not an excuse to rob them of some of the ticket revenue to give it to Francesco Aquilini and Ed Snyder.

Also, it the owners operated as pure businessmen, I’d give them credit for what they do, but they rely on exemption from anti-trust legislation and taxpayer subsidies for their operations. If Pierre Karl Péladeau built the Colisée, then what you stated would make sense. Rather, he’s going to let the citizens of Québec assume all the costs and risks, and then turn around and gouge them as much as he can with ticket prices and cable bills. So give me a break with the owners being responsible for the league’s existence.

Read “Net Worth”, you’ll see what the NHL owners did for the league, they almost killed it, only used it to fill dates in their arenas between wrestling and boxing matches. They defrauded generations of players. The owners are never the heroes.

• wjc says:

The players you speak Koivu for example, played for money.

Back in the bad ole days hockey was put in buildings to keep it profitable in the winter months. Owners exploited the players, no question. But, that has all changed, the players are all unionized multi-millionaires many times over. They have agents and go to the highest bidder in most cases.

Modern hockey owners are still business men, who happen to be in the entertainment business. They sell, you buy…simple. They have experts who find loopholes and play on people’s emotions.

Gotta have a team in Quebec. Politicians know what gets them voted in and give the people what they want. They know it will generate tax revenues and tourism etc.

Ah, the boring hockey business.

• commandant says:

I agree 110% with UCE.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• The Jackal says:

Well, without the owners – the people who invest in the teams we love to see and make it all possible, we wouldn’t be watching hockey every night for 8 months of the year.
        And it’s the owners supporting hockey in moribund places, that’s the league’s prerogative.
        I can see how it makes the owners look greedy, but unless you have one of the rock solid franchises, you take on a risk by buying a team, not to mention the cost of buying in the first place and running it.
        Besides, the players get paid many times more than the average person to do something they love, they’re basically living the dream and are guaranteed to get paid.
        Either way, this is all a bit silly, millionaires negotiating with millionaires to see who gets more money…

• Un Canadien errant says:

Do you really think that if the NHL was a league with 12 or 20 community-owned teams like the Green Bay Packers, with revenue sharing to even out the bumps in the road, and salaries reflective of the consummate skill of the players but not necessarily inflated by the current monopoly which charges you $100 for a ticket and $200 for a jersey, that you’d enjoy the games less? What value does Boots Del Baggio bring to the equation?

Owners didn’t create the NHL, they didn’t invent hockey, they almost killed it. And they’re killing it to this day, by focusing on ways to raise the price of beer to $10 instead of trying to improve the product on the ice.

• wjc says:

Hockey needs rivalries Toronto/Montreal, Rangers/Islanders. If NBC is going to invest 2 billion dollars (a billion dollars in a thousand times a million) they have to have interest in the southern states. Dallas has to play somebody that can be a rival. You know build up some hate like Philadelphia/Pittsburgh

Basketball and baseball came north, hockey is trying to go south.
          Pay per view is where the big money is and if hockey is on NBC the millions of folks might become fans and buy some of the pay per view

Bettman is no fool, he is just doing his job.

• Cal says:

Too many owners with financial troubles (i.e. losing money running their teams) to allow the CBA to continue as is, favouring the players.
        We have to remember that Fehr doesn’t give a rat’s ass about fans or owners. We have to remember that owners are as greedy as player agents. We have to remember that the players have no financial risks while receiving immense salaries.
        The way it looks right now, next season will be wiped away, just when things are turning around in Habsland.

• wjc says:

They lose money on paper only, showing some not all of revenues.

The NHL brought in 3.3 billion dollars last year. Nobody is losing any money. Not the players/agents…not the owners….NOBODY

Remember the players hire the so called greedy player agents to get there share of the pie.

Fehr represents the players…his one and only job is to represent the players. Bettman represents the owners. The fans are just that…. emotionally dependent on their favorite team.

• steve17 says:

I don’t think it is intelligent to call them all crooks and fraudsters. Some may be and some have huge egos and be greedy! But to come out and call them all crooks and fraudsters is wrong and makes you no better then than the crooks and fraudsters in the world. Not all wealthy people are crooks or fraudsters, or greedy!

There are two sides to each coin. Put yourself in the owners shoes, you sign the loan papers, you are on the hook, you are at RISK! The NHL players get guaranteed contracts even when they stink out the joint after signing big contracts a la Gomez. Sure the owners gave out these contracts, but in some cases they are in line with the market and the owners get burned. A 50/50 slpit is fair considering that the players contacts are guaranteed!

Habfan17

• wjc says:

It’s a business. They are in the entertainment business. Never forget that. A business always/always tries to maximize profits.

The players were not hurt money-wise, most are multi millionaires. Greed is a word that should not be thrown around recklessly.

Business is about the bottom line. I know this hard to accept. Nobody is hurting financially, everyone has prospered.

This is not about Stanley cups, only 1 in 30 can win it in any given year. There has to 29 so called failures. Fans are just atmosphere, pay per view and merchandising are where the real money is.

Season too long, players to rich, owners are owners they own. They own players, fans, rights to logo’s ect. Which means they own it all and the players eventually realize it is just a business and are not really loyal to a team unless the coin is there. Of course they all say the right thing and do charities according to their contracts. Goodwill embassators for the team……amen

13. Carta-Hab says:

Looks like Tim Bozon is happy to be a Hab. He also speaks 4 languages! The team certainly picked up some multifaceted players this draft.

Mike Milbury, Don Cherry, and PJ Stock….The three stooges of HNIC.

14. Les Habitants says:

The one prospect I hear very little about is Joonas Nattinen. I read somewhere a few weeks back that he could be one of the most improved Bulldogs coming into this season. He’s a big center, drafted 65th overall in ‘09 and signed for the next 2 years. Nothing special about his stats, GP 63 G 11 A 10 P 21 , but it was only his first year turning pro, and with a bad team in Hamilton. Can anyone else shed some more light on this kid? Did anyone have a chance to see him play?

• TomNickle says:

Big two way centre. Doesn’t use his size as a physical player but protects the puck well.

Doesn’t overwhelm with offensive skill but chips in offensively and can distribute the puck well.

• jmsheehy19 says:

He was a relentless puck hound from what I saw of him when he was in the WJC. Hoping he can become a defensive fixture for the future.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I did quote Clément Jodoin on here, he stated that he and Ian Schultz were the two players who improved the most over the course of last season in Hamilton. I can’t find the link to the story, I thought it was in La Presse but now I’m not sure.

• steve17 says:

The other part of fis game that is appealing is that, before last season, he had a winning percentage of 64% on face offs. I have not seen his stats for last season.

Habfan17

15. db says:

Anybody interested in Ott? What would his value be right now… ie, what would Dallas most likely take in return? (And no crazy talk, Joe isn’t letting Bob near the controls :p)

16. Carta-Hab says:

Mike Milbury, Don Cherry, and PJ Stock….The three stooges of HNIC.

17. blu_blanc_rouge says:

He is Russian…yes born in Wisconsin… But spent very little time in USA…came back 3yrs ago to playing Chicago JR Americans as a strategy for getting drafted. Prior to that, his hockey development is from Russia…that’s why his accent is very thick

• Carta-Hab says:

He spent the first nine years of his life in the US. That is over half his life. He is an American, who happens to come from a family with Russian heritage. Obviously, hearing him talk would lead one to believe he is from Russia but that is simply not the case.

Mike Milbury, Don Cherry, and PJ Stock….The three stooges of HNIC.

18. lgc_liam says:

I really hope we don’t continue this apparent policy of playing AHL-quality journeymen instead of budding star youngsters

• TomNickle says:

I’d rather give Palushaj a chance than rush Gallagher.

• ProHabs says:

If Terrien decides to play 5 lines, then there should be a spot for Palushaj on that 5th line. As long as he doesn’t play more than 30 seconds a game, I am OK with him being on the team.

As for Blunden, he was drafted in 2005 and is 25 years old. There is no more potential in this guy. I like the way he hit players (like Dubinsky) this year, but he has no offence to his game either.

• showey47 says:

Yes,thats how you properly develop offensive players like palushaj at the pro level who have proven themselves offensively at lower levels,by playing them with grinders with minimal minutes. Or in your case,seconds. Blunden is what he is,a 4th line grinder who skates very well for a big man and is effective when used properly.

• showey47 says:

@tom,i agree.If given a real chance palushaj should be skating at worst on the 3rd line with potentially eller and maybe bourque,or how ever therrien has his lines set up. Putting him on the 4th line and playing him 4 minutes a game is a waste.You are better off calling up a guy who is playing that type of role in hamilton.

Hear hear, Tom.

• steve17 says:

I am curious why. He has not shown anything with the opportunity he had last season!

Habfan17

19. blu_blanc_rouge says:

Alex Galchenyuk will prove to be one of the best Russians in the NHL.

• Carta-Hab says:

Except he’s not a russian…but I get what you are trying to say.

Mike Milbury, Don Cherry, and PJ Stock….The three stooges of HNIC.

20. frontenac1 says:

I also think Paloosh deserves another chance,the kid could be good. Blunden brought a hell of a lot more to every shift than Enqvist ever did. I don’t get it.

21. pg says:

Too bad, I kind of thought Blunden had a good upside.

Wondering if arbitration-clerical-move would be good for PK too. A lot of other teams talk him and his attitude down, but I bet they’d love to have him and his attitude if they could.

– put the benches back on opposite sides of the rink

22. commandant says:

I just want to point out that Palushaj is still just 22 years old.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• TomNickle says:

Palushaj’s fine. He has blazing speed, good hands and a nice release on his wrist shot.

Just needs more experience so that he can gain comfort in the middle of the ice and learn where professionals go when they don’t have the puck on their sticks.

Could be a nice player in a couple of years.

• Bripro says:

I would have argued against him early last year, looking lost as he did.
      But Tom’s right. He just needs more experience.
      I would even suggest they keep him in Hamilton another year, at least at first. He improved as the year went on. Maybe he’ll do the same this year, but a notch higher.

23. frontenac1 says:

Booze and Broads Amigos! Now you’re talkin”.Hola!

24. mark24 says:

Rumors floating around say that Georges Laraques will sign with the Habs or the Oilers for the minimum salary before the start of camp.

Line combos anyone?

26. Hali_Hab says:

Man i see a lot of people crying about Staubitz .. I dont get it. IMOP you have to be able to give a productive shift no matter what line you play on. Even if you offer a service that no one else on the team can you still have to be able to play in all facets of the game. If a player cant do this you become a liability on the ice. Staubitz is a great guy and a decent hockey player but the fact remains in the grand scheme of things the type of player he is.. is not a priority. He is replaceable.

The team needs some one with his mentality of team first but who also has the skill to contribute .. i.e. Brenden Prust. If you watched the playoffs you know who he is. He defined how that role should be played this post season.

Tough is not just a one dimensional role.. it has varying level’s, a player who can combine them is more effective the a player who uses one of them.

• neumann103 says:

I am one of the pro Staubitz crowd. I like Prust enough that I had him in a hockey pool the season before last (Short handed points and penalty minutes).

I expect Prust will get offers. I don[ think he is going to be looking to be a 4th liner on a bad team, nor to be paid like that.

Oh and I have said this several times in the past but from seeing him close up at the last two games in Buffalo, Staubitz is a really elegant skater. He is more than just a goon. He absolutely can take 4th line minutes and not be a liability

“Et le but!”

• Rozz says:

Ya I gotta agree, Staubitz would have been great on the fourth line with White. He had great energy; he was clearly loved by the guys on the team, and man could he throw down. Plus he got himself a goal on the last game… And in quite the epic manner. Not much production but i would still like him on this team.
        As we are building a team full of character guys, I would argue that he fits right in with that mould. But he apparently isn’t being brought back so I guess there is no use crying over it… just would have been nice

“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.”

Mark Twain.

27. HabFab says:

Some useless information but the hot blond in the green dress sitting behind Galchenyuk when he was drafted…was his sister. Welcome to Montreal!!!!!!!!!!!

So this Nathan MacKinnon fellow?

29. frontenac1 says:

Holy Smokes! La Tender! And More Swiss Guys! That’s it,I’m switching to single malt!

30. Dust says:

Latendresse not qualified. do we bring him back. We brought MT back…why not Latendresse for a second round

31. JUST ME says:

Not sure about many of them.Blunden,Palushaj,Engqvist were not very impresive and can be interchangeables with 90 % of the players in the league so… When they were called up for help last year they did not make a big splash. With all the injuries last year on the regular roster they had all the season to convince us that they deserved a regular spot. Instead i found that it showed that they were of AHL caliber. With all the new guys coming soon to Hamilton i thought they would make a clean up of some sort. Still do and hope that a few trades are in the air.

32. aj says:

@ SnowManHabs85 –

“Now you’re looking for someone who can fight and score goals? C’mon get real, 4th liners are either enforcers+grinders+two way players.”

To tell you the truth, the last playoffs is “the New NHL”: fast, gritty, and brutal. The Nashville vs. Detroit & Pittsburgh/Philly series is a prime example of this. The question is, are the Habs preparing itself or are they ready within 2-3 yrs to take this kind of punishment? Gone are the days from Detroit where Lidstrom (he retired) and Co. were playing smart hockey. When they fought Nashville, the Red Wings were grinded. No wonder why Datsyuk changed his mindset by adding some nastiness in his playing.

I was referring earlier to the ‘L.A. Kings model’ (I mean whatever!), that’s not Paulina Gretzky! What’s the L.A. Kings model? Well, what I mean is L.A. has all 4 lines, not limited to only 2 lines, doing the same offensive punch as well as doing most of the forechecking damage to their opposing teams. As well, the forwards are playing intimidators too, including the fighting aspect!

Look at what they did to the NJ this last Stanley Cup, that’s the L.A. Kings model. The 3rd and 4th liners should be built like 1st and 2nd liners who can score and make a beating to opposing players.

• SnowManHabs85 says:

C’mon, Get real! Kings got a real solid Stanley Cup 3 lines and an All Star Goalie in Quick.

Brown – Kopitar – Williams
      Penner – Richards – Carter
      King – Stoll – Nolan/Lewis

Doughty – Mitchell
      Scuderi – Greene

QUICK

4th liners don’t have to be so expensive. From what I seen about Staubitz is he’s doing exactly what is job is and that is to bring energy to the team and fight fight fight.

“Responding to the media , or playing to the media, or listening to the fans is the quickest way to start losing” – Sam Pollock

• aj says:

I agree, 4th lines don’t have to be expensive. But, does it have the scoring punch + grit to take on teams like Nashville, Pittsburgh, St. Louis? I don’t believe only 3 lines worked in L.A. the last Stanley Cup. Obviously, i’ve seen all 4 lines working in unison. Except with games 4 and 5 where you could see 2 lines doing the job. That’s why NJ won.

• sampson12 says:

I don’t recall any fights in the final. There might have been a couple, but I can’t remember them. Darryl Sutter is who I’d give the credit to. I remember watching the Flames play the Red Wings the year they made the finals and I was thinking to myself how incredible their forecheck was and how intense they were playing every shift. I had the exact same ‘in awe’ moment this year. Darryl Sutter should have got the Conn Smythe.

• aj says:

Regardless of whether there or not there are fights that could happen in the Stanley Cup playoffs and in the final, I believe the Habs should be built to bring not only 3 lines, but also 4 lines moving, shooting, and forechecking (plus fighting, if need be!). Like I said, this new NHL will be the model for the regular season and for better, the playoffs. I think its great for the fans and its great for the organization.

I rest my case, a Staubitz like player alone who only forechecks and enforces is NOT enough to make a team win a Stanley Cup. A fourth liner can be a 3rd line or 2nd line forward if need be and the Habs need to train their veterans and young prospects to change and switch players or lines that will best battle opposing teams.

33. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

Do we still have room to sign Bryan Allen or someone like him??

34. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

I see a lot of people freaking out about qualifying offers either made or not made by our team and some others. Something should be made clear. A qualifying offer means a team is offering the minimum increase in pay to their RFAs in order to retain their rights to that player beyond July 1. If they do not make a qualifying offer on a player, it doesn’t mean they can’t sign the player before July 1 anyway. In the cases of Latendresse or Mueller, their teams may sign them to a lower salary before July 1 due to their injury history. In the cases of Blunden and Nokelainen, it probably means they will be UFAs on July 1.

35. Habs1996 says:

Someone call an ambulance.A guy wants the return of PG

• The Jackal says:

I can assure you that guy was not being serious.
      I may have been late to the party, but today I learned that no matter how recently the GM of a the Habs made good moves, there will always be those questioning his knowledge.

36. frontenac1 says:

Diaz and Weber still there? Hey Carey, get ready for more Clusterf#*# in your front porch!

37. Max_a_million says:

Too many people want to play chess with 16 queens around here. You have to have pawns too! Doing the little moves well is a big deal as well. Qualifying an asset is important, even if Raphael Diaz will not win you a cup. Maybe he can be your 6th D, or part of a big trade that makes it work out, or enough competition to push your forwards in practice, … doing little things well matter. Not every transaction will be for a megastar, that doesn’t make it less important.

I won’t be crying over Staubitz and Blunden … eek

38. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

Anyone keen on signing Aaron Asham??

He’s tough as nails and would instantly give us a feared bottom six, the downside is that he’s 34, but I think he has two good years left.

39. Habs1996 says:

Should MB trade Kaberle now or wait until the trade deadline?

• Max_a_million says:

Depends what he can get, depends who his replacement is, depends on how the financials work out. If they have the money sitting around anyway, and no one to spend it on. Kaberle good be a valuable 3rd line pp specialist. No sense getting jittery, and trading away assets for nothing. Stay cool.

I don’t think he will be traded this off-season.

• Les Habitants says:

If we get a chance, trade him right away!
      Don’t wait too long, you don’t want to give the other GM a chance to sober up do you! LOL :)

40. Toe Blake says:

This team is one the verge of gelling. Just wait until the Gomer makes his long anticipated comeback!

• HabFab says:

Gomer is heading up the negotiating committee for the NHLPA, won’t have time to work on getting his butt in shape because he will be sitting on it.

41. HabFab says:

Peter Mueller not given a qualifying offer…concussion must be pretty bad!

42. aj says:

@ Kimberly2u

there are other players aside from Staubitz who could stand up for their teammates AND have that scoring punch on either a 3rd or 4th line position.

Maybe MB should give him a contract since he’s UFA. But I won’t sign him long-term (maybe a 1yr deal) and if the right time to put him at the minors like what the Habs should do with Gomez, that would be the most likely scenario.

43. Thanks for the heads up gents. As for Moen, he is also UFA I believe so they’ll address that one too, not that he’s so strong in scoring although good for the fourth line.
    As for Jack Todd quoting Trevor Linden about no hockey until December at the earliest, I’m wondering where Linden get’s this stuff. Of course I am hoping the NHLPA don’t ask for 60% and Bettman Asks for 50% and nobody goes anywhere, but I’m guessing the new head of the NHLPA will throw the season away just like he did in (Donald Fehr) baseball. Although his words in this ESPN article are rational and even, I can smell that attitude changing quickly. Any insights from HIO? http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nhl/story/_/id/8094886/nhlpa-head-donald-fehr-says-labor-talks-set-begin

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

44. That's-Hockey says:

If MB has a vision for Eller, White, Palushia Geoffrion, Engqvist he’ll be having nightmares by the end of 2012-2013 and he don’t have a vision for staubitz the only good fighter on the team. nothing more to say….I can see already where this team is going.

45. HabFab says:

Poopoo was not given a qualifying offer from Tampa after trading for him??

So if I get this right, UCe has told Timo to go sit in a corner.

• neumann103 says:

You mean all this time it was that simple?????

“Et le but!”

• Un Canadien errant says:

Not at all, we had a spirited discussion on a subject relevant to a team we both love dearly. He expressed his opinion, I countered with my assessment of the situation, everyone was enlightened by the back and forth.

I’m not telling anyone to take a hike. I value crustaceans such as you and he on this forum.

47. I’m confused. I thought we were going to get stronger, bigger, grittier and a little meaner? Why leave out Staubitz when we A) Can’t afford to pay a solid 4th liner that is better than Stuabitz and certainly not Blunden who at least can hit, b) Need to focus on top 6 and defense rather than the forth line with White C) Need to cut loose dead-weight like Paloosh and Diaz? I mean the Swiss cheese was awful last year let’s not EVEN talk about Weber!

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

• darcy1 says:

Staubitz is UFA if i’m not mistaken…

——————-
      “Talent is a gift from God, but you only succeed with hard work. Yvan was proof of that.”
      – Jean Beliveau

• habstrinifan says:

You are right… they have to wait till jul 1 to make him offer.

• TomNickle says:

No they don’t.

• habstrinifan says:

I stand corrected.

What’s the Jul 1st date. They cant approach other TEAM’S UFA’S?

So to answer the poster’s concern Habs have until Jul 1st to be able to deal exclusively with Staubitz and convince hime to stay.

Again… I stand corrected Tom.

• TomNickle says:

Pending restricted free agents for the following off-season can sign a contract extension as of July 1st.

So a contract extension can be done for pending UFA’s and RFA’s at any point from July 1st of the previous season onward.

An example is that Max Pacioretty and David Desharnais could both get contract extensions on July 1st.

• HabFab says:

Correct, he is a Hab until then so we can negotiate now.

• halifaxhab says:

You realize Staubitz is a UFA…right? This whole article is about RFA qualifying offers.

I love Barry Manilow .

-Scotty Bowman

• TomNickle says:

Pretty simple. Fighters are easy to find and Staubitz isn’t capable of playing a regular shift.

Sign a guy who can.

• Les Habitants says:

Tom, I respect your opinions and generally agree with what you have to say, but IMHO good fighters aren’t that easy to find, or at least not for the Habs. I know Staubitz wasn’t “poetry in motion” on the ice, but he wasn’t as slow as some of the goon’s I’ve seen, and he can throw a hit or two. I had the privilege of seeing my first game at the Bell centre this year during the last game of the season vs the leafs and he rocked Phaneuf early in the game and later he absolutely hammered Mike Brown to the point he left the game. I know you can’t pass judgement on a player after just one game, but from what I’ve seen from him in the pugilistic department this season, he’s probably the best “enforcer” we’ve had since Darren Langdon. I don’t believe they’re all that easy to come by, but thats just my two cents….

• Hobie Hansen says:

Staubitz is a UFA not an RFA. Probably won’t get a crap load of offers from other teams and even if signs elsewhere he can be replaced with another tough 4th liner.

I hope he stays but his situation isn’t pending like the RFAs today.

He was a breath of fresh air last season because of his pure ability to fight and do so very well. They need a guy like him, a step up from Moen or White in the fighting ability dept.

Bergevin knows how much the team breathed a sigh of relief when he arrived last year so I’m pretty sure he’ll be back.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yes you are confused. Restricted free agents are in question today, not Brad Staubitz, who is due to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

48. Phil C says:

There was some discussion on the other thread about Weber vs Diaz on the depth chart.

I personally consider Diaz ahead of Weber. Diaz was playing in the second pairing for most of the season, including killing penalties and occasionally on the PP. He was third in minutes played before he was injured behind only Subban and Gorges. His first pass out of the zone is above average, he positional play and stick work in his own end is good, and he showed potential offensively on occasion. He had trouble at times with an aggressive fore-check against bigger players, but that is understandable for a first-year player. He will only get better in that regard as he gets to know the players in the league and as he gets stronger.

Weber’s ice-time was managed closely all season on the third pairing and he was often caught out of position defensively. He was involved in many of those blown third period leads early in the season that ultimately earned him a seat in the pressbox. His PP skills earned him a spot back on the roster, yet he still only averaged 10min/game 5 on 5. I think he was part of the reason why they went with that crazy 7-D system because they needed him on the PP but didn’t trust him to take a regular shift 5-on-5.

If they have to choose between Weber and Diaz, I hope they keep Diaz based on last year because he is better in his own end both defensively and especially with his first pass.

I would probably have a look at them both in training camp though before deciding to move one of them, maybe Diaz moving ahead of him last year lit a fire under Weber.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Mr. Diaz may be more NHL-ready and effective right now, but Yannick Weber is younger, has more upside due to his offensive skills. His lack of stature is more tolerable in an offensive-powerplay specialist role, so overall Yannick Weber may have the longer, more productive career.

At this point, I’d say they’re essentially equal prospects.

• Phil C says:

Perhaps, but Weber can no longer be sent to Hamilton without clearing waivers, so he requires a roster spot or they lose him for nothing. At least Diaz can earn his roster spot. I think they may be forced to trade him if they can find a dance partner. I would hate to see them lose him for nothing.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I think you’re right in what will eventually happen. I was just evaluating the relative worth of both players. Last season Mr. Diaz should have been in Hamilton, while Yannick Weber played his way on or off the team.

• JF says:

Good post. Agree on Diaz over Weber. There is also St. Denis, who is similar to both. I think the Habs should be looking to trade Weber, if not over the summer (when his value would be pretty low), then fairly early in the season. I like Diaz a lot; if you watch him closely, you see that he does a lot of things well. St. Denis is a home-grown player, a good passer and positionally sound. I don’t think the Habs can keep all three in the system.

• Phil C says:

Agreed, St. Denis showed a lot of promise. Weber and Diaz are right-handed shots which fits in a little nicer with the current roster. Bergevin will have some tough choices.

49. Habitant in Surrey says:

National Post; Mark Seidel, chief scout for North American Central Scouting, ‘Top scout gives Canadiens, Leafs high draft grades';

…My profuse apology to include Da Weeds in this headline :( …I did not write it

…Seidel graded Bergevin A+, and Dough Boy only a lowly A …if THAT makes your turnips taste a little sweeter :)

50. Kimberly2u says:

We need Staubitz to stand up for our guys and the guys like him

51. Habs1996 says:

@Un Canadien
    cant agree more

52. TomNickle says:

Oh my goodness. Judging by comments made recently this place is going to be in total anarchy when Brad Staubitz isn’t given a contract extension.

Gonna get ugly.

Really? Diaz, Palushaj, Geoffrion, Enqvist… these are the players we want to continue pay salary to?

• Lizardking89 says:

I would have released all those players personally and rolled the dice on July 1st.

• habstrinifan says:

Can’t say I dont share your sentiments especially with Palushaj and Geoffrion. As far as Diaz I just dont see why we ‘cloud’ the issue by keeping him even if he is a reasonable enough 5th guy. He is not what we need. Maybe it’s a case of MB holding onto his rights as bargaining chips.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Timo, this is what development is about. You coach the hell out of those four guys, and maybe two of them become useful NHL’ers on your team.

We have room on our rosters for these guys, why cut them loose out of spite, in search of other players, all of whom will need to be developed anyway. Keep working with the kids you know.

Michel Therrien used to repeat last season on l’Antichambre, when Michel Bergeron or Mario Tremblay would get excited and wanted to get rid of Aaron Palushaj or Yannick Weber, that getting rid of players is the easiest thing to do in the NHL. The difficult but more productive approach, he would repeat, is to be patient and coach and teach and coach some more and repeat what you’ve told them a hundred times until they get it.

We’ve gotten rid of players too soon, or for too little in the past, and we still bellyache about them, about Mike Ribeiro or Maxim Lapierre. Why would we jettison these four players you mention when we have room for them anyway?

• habstrinifan says:

OK… you convinced me. I am calmer now.

• Timo says:

Don’t think there is much belly ache over Lapierre or Ribiero. As far as these guys go, i don’t know. Sure, they can try and coach them all over again, but nothing they have shown last season suggests they’d develop into anything good. But I guess will be hearing a lot of this “second chance” stuff from Therrien given how he got a big fat second change himself. Sigh.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Again, you may be right that they didn’t show much last season, but if you get rid of them for that reason, who do you replace them with? Other stiffs who were cut by other teams? Undrafted free agents? It becomes an endless circle.

If you don’t qualify Mark Mitera due to his lack of progress and production, I get it, in conjunction with the fact that Jared Tinordi, Morgan Ellis, Nathan Beaulieu and Greg Pateryn are all in need of a roster spot and icetime. If we didn’t have these four guys ready to turn pro though, why not have Sylvain Lefebvre and Donald Dufresne spend an extra season working with him?

I get it, being grouchy and cynical is your thing, I love it, it’s a hoot, but in this case, it’s misdirected. Focus it on Pierre-Karl Péladeau or Réjean Houle or Gary Bettman.

• caladin says:

Palushaj and Enqvist have proven they can be effective at the AHL level. Diaz actually had a pretty good rookie year and Geoffrion may yet make the show. None of these guys should be thrown out of the organization for no return yet.
      IMHO at least.

____________________

Keep Hope Alive

54. Les Habitants says:

Lots of rumours out there that Luongo wants to go back to Florida (his wife still lives there) if (when) Vancouver trades him. He has a NTC so the choice is his no matter how much the leafs want him.

My question is, if Luongo does end up in Florida, what happens to Theodore? He has 1 year left at $1.5 mil. What would we have to throw in to swap him for Budaj? Budaj has 1 year at $1.15 mil so the cap hit wouldn’t be a problem. Would Theo be the upgrade in the back up role we’re looking for? Or is there too much left over baggage form the way he left the Habs?

IMHO, he would be a welcome addition, capable of playing a solid 25- 30 games giving Price the rest he needs during the season, given that we wouldn’t have to give up to much to get him.

• habstrinifan says:

I have to admit I would take Theodore over Budaj. My only concern would be the noise from fans, especially the french media, everytime Price makes a mistake … to put Theodore in. But it is also time to take away any safety-net for Price in dealing with all that goes with being ‘the’ goaltender here in Mtl.

• Les Habitants says:

I think the media and Theodore’s past err… “transgressions”, would be a hang up for anyone. It makes sense on paper, but the circus that is the Montreal media would probably nullify any benefit from having Jose as a back up

• neumann103 says:

Is that the reason the Habs did not go after Martin Biron two years ago? I remember being astonished when they signed Auld while Biron – who is much better – was still out there. About two days later Biron signed with the Rangers for less than Auld

“Et le but!”

• aj says:

I wouldn’t count for a Theo-Budaj swap. Otherwise, what could probably happen is two goaltenders are going to fight for that #1 spot position.

Theo did right when he was here. The last thing Carey Price needs is another goaltending contreversy like what happened between him and Jaro Halak. Especially here where the French will back up their local talent.

• habstrinifan says:

Maybe it’s ime for him to let his play override that factor. You know take the next step. Please this is NOT Price-bashing. But maybe it’s time we push him to the limit emotionally etc.

• Les Habitants says:

I agree, contreversy is the last thing we need going into the season after the year we just had. I was just looking at the numbers and it had me thinking. As I said to Habstrinifan it looks good on paper, but the negative would probably out weigh the positives.
        I also don’t believe Florida would swap Theo for Budaj straight up, that why I asked what would we have to throw in. ;)

• Cal says:

Florida is not going to spend crazy money for Luongo. I don’t think any team besides the insane Canucks would. Imagine, from captain to useless in 2 short seasons.

• ABHabsfan says:

I can think of 1 other team; rhymes with Grief(s)

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
        Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• SnowManHabs85 says:

Lu won over 30 wins since he arrived in Nucks uni. Only thing that’s being looked at is his contract. I don’t know how Nuck fans think that their team would be better under Schneider, a goaltender who hasn’t yet played 82 games.

• The Jackal says:

It’s funny to see all these Luongo detractors. The guy is a good goalie and would help any team in need of a starter. The only bad thing is the length of his contract. Vancouver unfortunately lost faith in him, when it was the entire team that crapped the bed in the playoffs this year and last. The main issue with trading for Luongo is having something the Canucks would want.

• Lizardking89 says:

I’d also love to see Theo here also but there would be a lot of controversy which is the last thing we need right now after the horrible season we had last year.

• aj says:

Honestly, I could not see a Price/Theo teamup. Look what happened when Theo was here with Huet as backup, that was a disaster too. Huet was becoming better when Theo got traded. Price came in to backup Huet and the rest is history…..

That’s why I don’t think Theo coming back here is a good idea.

• Les Habitants says:

100% agree Lizardking89, loved Theodore when he was here, but not worth the controversy sh!t storm that would ensue from the media. Just thinking out loud

55. Habs1996 says:

i heard Ott is able to get under the boston bruins skin.

56. rogieshan says:

Bergevin is very familiar with Blunden from when they were both in the Blackhawks organization. I guess the GM doesn’t see much upside in him.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Very good point. I trust their vision and their plan, their evaluation of him must convince them that they can do better with his roster spot.

• Timo says:

I could be convinced of that if along with Blunder other stiffs didn’t get an offer (see my post above). But extending offers to like of Palushaj and Geoffrion make that “having plan and vision” statement a bit, let say, doubtful.

• Habsrule1 says:

I think it makes sense to give Geoffrion an offer sheet. I think he can make a very solid 3rd liner with the Habs. He’s still only 24 years old and he’s 6’2 and 200 pounds, so I think he should be given the chance. Hell, if he plays a year in Hamilton and comes back when he’s ready, what’s the harm in that?

Go Habs Go!!

• Un Canadien errant says:

Timo, there’s not a Walmart you can go to and load up on NHL players. You’re kind of stuck with the ones you have for the most part. What you can do with them is teach them and develop them. The plan and vision is to invest in recruitment and development, so we hit on maybe one more player per draft on average (my interpretation). In the long run that will pay dividends.

Cutting Aaron Palushaj and Blake Geoffrion loose for no pressing reason, when we have the money to pay them and the roster spot to spend on them is not logical.

• The Jackal says:

The Habs really screwed up when they made Bergevin the GM, he’s clueless! The QO’s extended today are proof!

57. Habs1996 says:

AKA:Missing playoffs for seven years and win the stanley cup?
    Unless they trade for these high picks

58. HabFanSince72 says:

LA Kings draft position:

2009: 5
    2008: 2
    2007: 4
    2006: 11
    2005: 11
    2004: 11
    2003: 13

That’s the tank model. High picks. Remember you draft in that order in every round.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

59. frankcasting says:

Blunden? Who gives a rat’s *ss? Same for most of those dead pieces of lumber on the list. Hamilton fodder.

BTW, ESPN LeBrun making noise about Steve Ott comin’ over. Like he’s an NHL agitator, unlike Blunden / Rusty Staubitz et al.

I’d like that. What cost? He didn’t say.

Loving the Habs since 1965

60. HabFanSince72 says:

One possible reason Columbus turned down the Isles is they couldn’t handle that many picks.

Eventually each one of those picks will have to be paid, developed, evaluated, etc … Maybe they felt they didn’t have the resources to handle so many players of the same age?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

They could have just used picks #4 and #34 then passed on the rest and they still would have come out ahead. I wonder what Burke offered them for the #2 in an attempt to make sure he got Morgan Reilly?

• Un Canadien errant says:

I thought about that, there is a cost to drafting players, but they’re relatively minimal. It’s basically like buying more raffle tickets. Their only real costs would have been when they signed those picks, and they only needed to sign the best ones, those who have a real shot. If all the fourth-rounders on down don’t figure to make it, you let them go, they were essentially free spins of the wheel.

One recent example for us is John Westin. We drafted the kid a couple of years ago, he was a shifty Swedish kid who was a long shot and didn’t turn out, so we opted not to sign him and he’s now a free agent. All it cost us was a set fee to his Swedish team when we selected him (or maybe not even, it may be only when he is signed).

I still don’t get why they turned the trade down. Maybe it’s like when someone comes up to you on the street and offers you free tickets to something, or you get offered a drink at the bar by the stranger. It sounds to good to be true, you see red flags, your alarms go off, you freeze, say ‘No thank you’ and walk away.

• habsgod says:

i agree the islanders don’t have a trevor timmins drafting for them!

• Rugger says:

Easy problem to fix, trade two 2nds & two 3rds for another first

61. commandant says:

Palushaj at the very least is a PPG player for Hamilton.

Hamilton needs vets and can’t rely on all rookies, or its going to be a depressing environment losing every night. No matter how talented, teams filled to the brim with rookies in the AHL don’t win.

I also think he’s better than what he showed in Montreal, i think he was totally misused. PPG player in Hamilton… called up to play with Nokelainen, Blunden, Darche, etc… never once given a chance with Eller (who needed the wingers) and Eller/Palushaj had chemistry in Peoria.

He’s a setup guy who needs other offensive players to help him. He can’t do it with Blunden and Nokelainen as a line.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• aj says:

@ commandant:
      I suppose if Gomez would come down to Hamilton, that much needed vets would alleviate the rookies problems down at the Farm Team. The Bulldogs could sure use a laugh or two from the $7million/yr-two pt. ‘top 6′ forward from Alaska.

62. Sean Bonjovi says:

I gotta think that they just didn’t bother with the QO for my boy Mike Blunden because they’re planning on locking him up long-term.

63. Habs1996 says:

Whats the LA Kings model?

64. habstrinifan says:

My personal disappoinments/pluses from RFA list.

Blunden wished they had qualified him.
    Palushaj.. I was hoping they had not.. I think Bournival is Plaushaj +++.
    Mitera … I had been eyeing him as one to go for some time now. I think MB is gonna make an offer to UFA Quebec boy Danis-Pepin who he would have known in Chicago. Huge kid and showing some progession.

With Daiz qualified and should he be signed who’s higher in the depth chart Weber or Diaz. Dont want another crowded blueline of same type guys this year.

Smart not tieing up a roser spot with Nok….nen.

Dont see much upside in Geoffrion but who knows.

Glad they qualified St Denis.

• aj says:

I was thinking the same thing about Palushaj. Him and Engqvist didn’t seem to deliver last season. I know they’re still developing players and is still considered Hamilton Bound like Leblanc. But, even when they were called up last season, they should have stepped up when they were playing.

• Un Canadien errant says:

It’s too soon to give up on Andreas Engqvist, he costs us nothing to keep for at least another season. Clément Jodoin had good things to say about his play in the AHL last season. Big kid with some skills, he’s getting adjusted to the North American game.

I’m not prepared to make the same argument for Aaron Palushaj, but if we have a roster spot for him, no big deal keeping him.

• Andy and the habs says:

Perhaps it will be a different story this year with the new coach who may know better how to use these kids, we can only hope.

• JF says:

I actually thought Enqvist looked decent in his call-ups. Seemed a bit slow, but wasn’t a liability. He had 45 points (20 goals, 25 assists) in Hamilton last year, so he’s obviously got skill to go with his size. Maybe he just needs another year.

• neumann103 says:

Generally agree.

Disappointed about Blunden not being given an offer.

Lukewarm on Palushaj and Geoffrion.

Mitera was one of the Bulldogs who I thought was worth keeping around. Did he have to be qualified?

Hoping that the Habs sign Staubitz. If they were only going to keep one of him and Blunden, Staubitz is the right call but I actually think Staubitz, White, Blunden would have been areally useful 4th line.

“Et le but!”

• aj says:

Staubitz is a no for me. There are better players the team can get on the 4th line. Blunden should be that guy.

Say, was Patrick Holland on the development camp this summer? I’m looking at his record and it looks to be impressive: 25 goals, 84 assists, and 109 pts.

65. aj says:

I guess TomNickle was right when he said about Blunden not coming back. Nokelainen may not be back.

Only the 4 guys: Ryan White, Aaron Palushaj, Blake Geoffrion and Andreas Engqvist, are of which I’m not sure if MB should be offering them a contract. If so, maybe Bergevin could offer them a 1yr contract. Maybe a 2yr contract for Ryan White and/or Blake Geoffrion.

66. rhino514 says:

So The islanders offered their entire draft just to move up two picks and take Murray. That tells me one thing:
    Murray must be head and shoulders above everyone else in the draft, except Yakupov…and maybe he is more valuable than Yakupov. So from this I extrapolate the follwoing questions:

1)What would the habs have done if they had the number two pick??
    2) If there is separation between the top two players picked and the rest, is there also separation between Galchenyuk and the players picked beneath him…or is he just part of that massive group?
    3) Would the habs really have taken Forsberg over Murray if Galchenyuk had somehow been picked by Columbus?
    4) Are we all grasping in the dark since Burke thinks Morgan Rielly was really the most valuable player in the draft. Funny how the isles didn´t even go for him as their second choice.

• HabFanSince72 says:

If the Islanders offering their entire draft tells me only one thing, that thing is Garth Snow is a tool.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• ABHabsfan says:

Exact-a-mundo. If that rumour is true, who is the bigger fool (tool); Snow for offering it or Howsen for not taking it. It may be a tie

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
        Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• HabFanSince72 says:

Yes it’s a tie.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• habstrinifan says:

Dont know who it was but on TSN990 one of teh guests analysts on the Melnick show said he saw Wang, Isles owner, walking floor talking to many other teams. He thinks was Wang not Snow who made teh offer. And it would be something he rather than Snow would be outrageous enough to do.

• jedimyrmidon says:

I wouldn’t extrapolate that Murray is head and shoulders above the rest of the D men in the draft – particularly since it there were so many D men in the top 10.

Murray is probably the safest pick.

That deal is just an example of the Isles being the Isles and Columbus being Columbus.

• Un Canadien errant says:

What we can extrapolate from this is that the Blue Jackets and the Islanders are two derelict organizations. The Jackets for turning down so many high picks for a swap of their #2 pick for a #4, and the Islanders for offering it in the first place.

The Mike Ditka-led New Orleans Saints once traded every pick they had plus a first and third the next season to swap with the Redskins’ first and take Ricky Williams, who was thought to be a once-in-a-lifetime back at the time. Ryan Murray isn’t anywhere near this level of promise.

If the Islanders had been going after an Eric Lindros or Vincent Lecavalier or Sidney Crosby, the offer would have made sense. As it was, Scott Howson was crazy to turn it down, and Garth Snow and Charles Wang are confirmed as the buffoons we know they are for making that offer.

I just wish Garth Snow had offered us the same deal.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Hypothetically, would the Habs have been able to get Galchenyuk at #4 though? The Habs would certainly have had a huge number of picks at the draft (and pretty high mid-draft picks), but I think the Habs need quality before quantity at this point, what with so many promising guys just entering Hamilton.

I would rather have a guy who has a chance to become elite than more players who should become good (or at least be decent) since the Habs already had 6 picks in this draft with most being high within a given round. I bet Galchenyuk would have been gone at #4 almost no matter what.

I’m not sure how I would feel if the Habs were compelled to take the best player available at #4, and that player was a defenseman.

• Un Canadien errant says:

That would be part of the evaluation, if they thought he was head and shoulders above anyone else, but I think they were high enough on Filip Forsberg and Tevo Teravainen that they would have done the deal. With that additional high second-rounder, Marc Bergevin might have had the ammo he needed to move back up in the first round and grab Stefan Matteau, which he wasn’t able to do at a reasonable cost on Saturday.

• caladin says:

The offer was only valid if Yakupov was still available. The islanders were not after murray.

____________________

Keep Hope Alive

• wjc says:

How do you know they were after Murray. Galchenyuk and Murry were still available. Galchenyuk might have been what they were after, because Montreal hadn’t picked him yet.

67. HabFab says:

So 41 under contract, lot’s of space for UFA’s. Can’t see more then 2-3 out of these staying;

Joe Callahan
    Chris Campoli
    Mathieu Darche
    Nathan Lawson
    Travis Moen
    Garrett Stafford
    Brad Staubitz
    Brian Willsie

• neumann103 says:

Travis Moen if they can come to terms
      Brad Staubitz for sure

Probably no one else from this list.

“Et le but!”

• aj says:

Brad Staubitz…??? Why? Travis Moen, yes for a multiyr. contract. However, I wouldn’t give the enforcer on the 4th line a position. He’s strong but there’s no scoring ability.

Maybe Montreal should better look at the ‘LA Kings model’. Don’t even ask me what’s the LA Kings model either.

• SnowManHabs85 says:

• arn24 says:

I don’t know Willsie much but the Bulldogs lost their captain with Henry going to Germany, so I would keep Willsie to be a leader with all those kids coming to Hamilton.

I would also keep Moen and Darche and maybe Staubitz.

No more than 4 year contracts to anyone, until they display what they are worth on the ice. Even for Price and PK.

2012 HIO Fan Summit, pictures, news and your comments. Click below.

• SnowManHabs85 says:

So you’d be okay if Habs gave Price 3 year contract and let him be UFA early and got ourselves a chance to get himself a Rinne kind of 7m contract???

69. jedimyrmidon says:

Hopefully, the Habs can get PK locked up before July 1st.

70. Un Canadien errant says:

Mike Blunden was earning $615 000 a season. Is this a case of the Canadiens not wanting to give him the 10% raise? Or just cutting ties altogether?

71. Habitant in Surrey says:

RFAs qualified: PK Subban, Raphael Diaz, Alexei Emelin, Brendon Nash and Frederic St-Denis as well as forwards Lars Eller, Ryan White, Aaron Palushaj, Blake Geoffrion and Andreas Engqvist

72. Les Habitants says:

Alright, now that the qualifying offers are out of the way, lets get going on signing Subban and Price to long term deals

73. smiler2729 says:

I like Blunden. What about Staubitz? Is he UFA, RFA or signed?
    Those two and their presence made a big difference.

_______________________________________
    Calling it like it is:
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Tim Thomas is a Nugentian lunatic.
    Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

74. twilighthours says:

No blunden. Anyone not a habs’ fan anymore?

• Un Canadien errant says:

As modest as his contributions were, it was good to see him flying around the ice and hitting people, as well as when an after-the-whistle scrum formed. He’s not a great fighter, but it was good to see him there instead of guys like Aaron Palushaj, his size made punks like Wayne Simmonds and Chris Neil think twice before unleashing their trademark idiocy.

• twilighthours says:

I agree. Felt sorry for the kid after he hit Dubinsky and got 2 shifts over the next 3 months. But I’m not losing sleep or fandom over him.

• arn24 says:

I don’t care about not keeping him but keeping Palushaj over him I don’t get it. Does anyone really think Palushaj deserve playing one more minute in the NHL?