NHL, Habs release complete 2014-15 schedule

The Canadiens and the NHL released their complete 2014-15 NHL regular-season schedule on Sunday afternoon with the Habs opening on Wednesday, Oct. 8 in Toronto against the Maple Leafs. The Canadiens’ home opener will be on Thursday, Oct. 16 against the Boston Bruins.

The Canadiens will also end the regular season in Toronto on Saturday, April 11 against the Leafs. The 82-game schedule will cover 186 days.

The Canadiens will once again play a couple of matinee games on Super Bowl weekend with the Washington Capitals visiting the Bell Centre on Saturday, Jan. 31 and the Phoenix Coyotes on Super Bowl Sunday. Both games will be 1 p.m. starts.

The Canadiens will play 30 games against their seven division opponents (Boston, Buffalo, Detroit, Florida, Ottawa, Tampa Bay and Toronto), and three games against each of the other eight non-division teams from the Eastern Conference (24 games). The remaining 28 games will be against Western Conference clubs, with one home game and one away game against each of the 14 teams.

The Canadiens will also play eight preseason games starting on Monday, Sept. 22 when they play a Red vs. White game at the Bell Centre.

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

Complete Canadiens’ 2014-15 regular-season schedule, canadiens.com

Canadiens preseason schedule, canadiens.com

Fewer Saturday night games for Habs next season, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

No better way to open season than Habs vs. Leafs, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Some Habs games to circle on your calendar, by Pat Hickey

Winter Classic, rivalries highlight 2014-15 schedule, NHL.com

Complete 2014-15 NHL schedule, NHL.com

Rogers unveils NHL broadcast schedule, sportsnet.ca

1. CJ says:

I wish we were in the Hartnell sweepstakes. I’d rather carry that contract then a 2-3 year extension for Gionta. Someone asked the other day about replacing the Captain. Hartnell not only replaces the Captain, but upgrades our team. Hartnell is a better scorer, is much more physical, is younger and more durable. Sorry, did I also mentioned much bigger?

I am not exactly sure what the equivalent is to RJ Umberger on our team, but with the loss of 21, we could have taken on the contract and term, which would end when Hartnell is 36.

2. John Q Public says:

We just got very smurfy.

3. Curtoph says:

For all those who are looking to buy into streams or nhl center ice, please look into goo.gl/hThxgY … I’ve posted this before but it is a link to setting up vlc links for streaming which lets you watch game center quality games on your computer through vlc player (free widely used media player) there are plenty of instructions on the hockey subreddit on how to do this. I highly reccomend it is worth a try. Costs you nothing as well. Cheers, Go Habs Go

4. CJ says:

Glad to see that my hope regarding Jeremie Gregoire being invited to the WJC selection camp has come to fruition. There is a very good chance that we could see him and Fucale both on team Canada next year.

MacCarron will be a longer shot for team USA, but he has secured an invitation, so his foot is in the door. Hoping we can see progression from the big man this coming season.

5. Vinny Red says:

For all those concerned about blackouts, you forget that Rogers has announced no blackouts anymore.

“The agreement also guarantees there will be no further regionalization of games or local blackouts. Rogers has three exclusive windows to broadcast any game involving a Canadian team — Wednesday nights, Saturday nights and Sunday nights. Fans will have the ability to watch any of those games regardless of geographical location within Canada.”

• veryhabby says:

Vinny….the problem is they are only showing 4 Hab games on Wed nights and 4 on Sundays the whole season. So thanks, but now I can’t see ALL their games. Just 20 Saturday nights and 8 mid week. So I get 28 games instead of 82. That’s the problem.

That this new Sportsnet deal forces RDS to no longer be able to show their games nationally is just crap.

• Vinny Red says:

I’m making the assumption the no blackout rule would also apply to the Centre Ice package. With the contract, Rogers now assumes control of the Centre Ice package and the NHL Network within Canada. So hopefully the “no black out” policy will extend to that as well. I haven’t seen anything announced yet, although that will probably come soon. Then we’ll know for sure if they apply to Centre Ice or not.

6. mrhabby says:

not sure what all the bitching is about re: habs on tv. I saw every game last year on Rogers Centre Ice and I will see all the games this year. if you don’t want to spend the money then why bitch.

• franco says:

I love your attitude, come and get my money, mix it up so you get more of my money. The trend will be to figure new and better ways to get your money if you wish to watch hockey.

Remember ‘last year’ will be the good ole days someday when you pay for everything or find some other hobby.

• veryhabby says:

MrHabby….I can bitch all I want. I was paying $2/month for RDS. That’s $24 for a full year. Now I have to pay $25/month during the hockey season to watch the games? And I shouldn’t bitch.

You must work for Rogers and got a raise or something. Not everyone can afford to pay that much. And what if you aren’t on Rogers? I have Shaw. Does NHL Center ICE guarantee all 82 hab games?

• mrhabby says:

hmmm..i don’t work for Rogers very …just a passionate hab fan who will spend the money to see the Habs. I don’t see the big deal in this matter.

ps…I saw all habs games on centre ice last year but go ahead and bitch all you like.

7. bwoar says:

Looks like it’s Gamecenter or Hockeystreams this year. Au revoir RDS. No more cable for this hockey fan.

• Hobie says:

Gamecenter will probably work for only about half the games…

• awesomerino says:

For $5/month, you can get a unique DNS number from Unblock-us.com that lets you see every Habs game on Gamecenter. I’ve used it for the last 2 years. In fact, I’ve cut my cable entirely, streaming Hulu & US Netflix instead. All told, I spend $21/month instead of $85+

Apologies if this comes off like an ad.

• bwoar says:

The deal with that is, use a proxy for $5/month and the server will think you’re “in area” and not black you out.

Hockeystreams is $100, and $60 for year-round proxy (still good if you use Netflix, say) and my Hockey budget is small. Still more than paying an extra 2 bucks a month for RDS though.

I’m kinda thinking of using HS rather than Gamecenter… if GS will be blacking out games it defeats the purpose. Given a choice, I’ll spend my money on the illegal option until the legal option(s) cater to the hardcore fan.

There’s simply no excuse for a telco not being able to sell me an HD stream of 82 games of the Canadiens. It’s 2014 and we have freakin’ warfighting robots.

I’ll pay for the legal service – just stop jerking around the fans and use the technology for what it’s capable of. Until then, I won’t give the NHL a cent.

• franco says:

Games will only free on the internet for a while, then you will have to pay. There is no escape.

The will slowly close up the free access, once the older fans become comfortable with hockey streams….then ZAP!

• Curtoph says:

Go to the r/hockey subreddit and look into vlc links, it is free streaming in high quality just a couple min to read on the set up. goo.gl/hThxgY is link to reddit post about it.

8. CHicoHab says:

Is there any way only Coaches Corner gets Blacked out in my area? North Toronto

9. Mavid ® says:

107

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

10. frontenac1 says:

Hola Amigos! Just back from 3 days of Bass Fishing and Debauchery. Opening Game against The Laffs in Hogtown again?! It is a travesty and insult! It should be against the Bruins and at home. We did kick their arse last season afterall. Can you imagine the uproar if the Kings had to open against the Oilers in Edmonchuck? Saludos!

• franco says:

Toronto vrs. Montreal…greatest rivalry in sport.

• frontenac1 says:

Really? Uh-oh.

• Mavid ® says:

agree..I hate the Bruins..beating them was a treat..but Leaf/Habs games are right up there…

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• bwoar says:

Not for two entire generations. What is this, the CBC?

• franco says:

Leafs always play their best when they play Montreal. Montreal usually has their hands full. When Toronto beats Montreal it usually hurts.

Then the Leafs fans taunt Montreal fans when they win, and their are many of them. Leafs are the richest team in hockey for a reason.

When Montreal beats the toronto team, Toronto fans go into hiding because they cannot take the abuse.

• bwoar says:

I understand your point, but, the Leafs need to make the playoffs before we can talk about a rivalry. It’s just one (lately both) teams sucking and now and again getting into a puncher’s duel. A couple of old palookas trying not to fall over. Not so much a rivalry but two teams hanging their pasts on one another.

• punkster says:

FAIL!

Tell us exactly how this is a greater rivalry than Habs/broonz.

Release the Subbang!!!

• mrhabby says:

??? habs hosted laffs in last years home opener why bitching.

• franco says:

Think the Dodgers and Yankees

Red Sox and Yankees

Leafs and Montreal

When they meet in the playoffs, possibly this year, then you will experience it.

Leafs fans love to beat Montreal fans then rub their noses in it. Standings do not seem to matter. Montreal is moving up and the Leafs will try to keep pace.

You trying to tell me you would not watch a Toronto Montreal game and feel intense hate, especially if Toronto wins, no matter what method is used…….be honest now!

• mrhabby says:

my comment was not about the intensity or passion of the games..i have been to both arenas. my comment was just about scheduling. Next year the Laffs will be at the Bell Centre for our home opener.

• franco says:

You do not want Toronto, I get that.

Who do you want ‘The Rangers’, they are busy building rivalries with the Islanders or New Jersey or any number of teams. Pittsburgh maybe.

The Bruins, they could be busy with Chicago etc. Everyone wants to hate the Bruins.

You want the Bruins when everyone is playing at their best and some hate has built up. The first game of the season is quickly forgotten.

• frontenac1 says:

Habs / Leafs Rivalry? I hear that sometimes out of Toronto on CBC, but when was that? I’m an old guy and I don’t remember that. It’s always been Habs /Bruins and for a little while Habs /Flyers and Habs/ Nordiques for me.

11. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On ® says:

I’ve got a feeling that it’s going to be a clusterf— trying to find games on TV with a crapload of different networks and channels involved. They should have kept it simple by putting all games for a team on a specific network, ie: all Hab games on RDS, Leaf games on City-TV, Canucks on Sportsnet West, etc.

And no, I have no interest in paying through the nose to watch my Habs on my dinky computer screen for most of the season.

12. Say Ash says:

For fans in Vancouver:

Brendan Gallagher @BGALLY17
    July 25th I’ll be back at the pacific coliseum for the @PotentialSays Charity hockey game. Get your tix at http://charityhockeygame.com

13. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On ® says:

Who is the sadistic bastard who scheduled the San Jose Sharks to be the Los Angeles Kings’ opponent when they raise their Stanley Cup banner? Talk about rubbing salt into the wound!

14. Hobie says:

It’s great that the schedule has been released but what’s going to be really interesting is the TV schedule. We know RDS regional (Quebec, Eastern Ontario and the Maritimes) has a big chunk of games, TVA also has a portion, but how many games will be available on Sportsnet during the week in English is what I’m looking for…

**Edit**

Just saw the Rogers schedule. It looks as though there’s a large chunk of Habs games on in English during the week from what I’ve read so far. Cool.

**Edit again :-)**

Maybe not, Rogers posted the full NHL schedule along with their TV schedule. I was reading the wrong one.

****

In addition to the more than 200 national games unveiled today, Rogers will announce its remaining national and regional broadcast schedules in the coming weeks. In total, Rogers will deliver 350 national regular season games across nine networks, including CBC, City, Sportsnet (East, Ontario, West, and Pacific), Sportsnet ONE, Sportsnet 360 and FX Canada.

• Luke says:

Please contact your cable provider to subscribe to the channels that are not part of your current bundle. You’ll find all the channels convienently offered in bundles seperate from each other.

• Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On ® says:

If they have 9 networks, then they should assign one network per Canadian team, and the other two to carrying out-of-country matchups, ie: Chicago vs. L.A.

But that would be too easy; may as well have viewers pony up for as many extra channels as possible.

15. krob1000 says:

I think I would also put Sergei Fedorov in before Mike Modano although both deserve to be there. I just think the fact Federov almost put up the same numbers as Modano and was also one of the top defensive forwards in the game makes him better.

• B says:

Does Anna Kournikova top Willa Ford?

–Go Habs Go!–

• Chris says:

Same here, Rob. Modano was a top player, but Fedorov was significantly better in my opinion. Fedorov has a Hart Trophy, 2 Selke Trophies and 3 Stanley Cups on his mantle. Modano had 1 Stanley Cup and no individual awards.

Fedorov ended his NHL career with 1248 GP, 483 G, and 1179 points, while Modano finished with 1499 GP, 561 G, and 1374 points. Fedorov has him beat in goals-per-game and points-per-game, and he did it while being one of the dominant defensive forwards of his era.

The big thing Modano has going for him is that he is the top-scoring American player in history, so there is a historical legacy aspect to it. But Fedorov was hands down the better player.

• krob1000 says:

Fedorov is Russia’s all time leading scorer!

• Chris says:

In the NHL. The problem with comparing him and Fedorov is that there is such a limited pool of players with whom to compare him.

I would probably put Makarov, Larionov, Kharlamov, and Mikhailov ahead of him among forwards, but those guys either came to the NHL mid-career or never got to come over. Still, they all hold a special place in the minds of hockey fans.

16. B says:

I looked at the now available schedules, and I think this is the breakdown for next season.

RDS new contract has 60 Habs games regionally:
    9 Pre-season.
    1 Saturday afternoon (Jan 31 1:00 PM vs WAS)
    50 on Mon, Tues, Thurs and Fri.

Rogers new contract has 32 regular season Habs games nationally (plus all playoffs):
    5 Wednesday on SN
    1 Thursday on SN (Nov 13 vs BOS)
    18 Saturday on HNIC
    1 Saturday on SN (Oct 18 vs COL)
    2 Saturday on City (Oct 11 in PHI, Oct 25 vs NYR)
    4 Sunday on City
    1 Sunday on SN (Feb 8 in BOS)
    [I believe all of the above 32 games are also on TVA-Sports nationally]

–Go Habs Go!–

• PK says:

Thanks for the summary.
      So those of us west of Belleville (+/- Nfld?) need to get NHL Centre
      Ice or use a hockey streaming service (in order to get all the games)?
      With NHL Centre Ice, the “nationally televised games” will be blacked out?
      OR
      Are there other twists to this saga?

>>>> Les Canadiens sont là
      _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

“Une équipe de hockey sur glace de l’île de Mont-Royal va gagner la Coupe de Lord Stanley à 24 reprises dans le 20e siècle et trois fois au cours du 21e siècle.”

– Nostradamus, 1552

• B says:

I believe that Center Ice games are only blacked out within the teams viewing region, not nationally. In other words, those west of Belleville should get all Habs games on Centre Ice without any blackouts. I think the cut off line is just west of Ian’s house.

If you are viewing regionally via the interweb then a VPN may get around the blackout.

Edit: I am not sure about Newfoundland, but I think that if they could previously get regional Habs games on Sportsnet East without a black out then they are considered within the Hab’s viewing region.

–Go Habs Go!–

• PK says:

Cheers.
          In that case, I see some money being forked out to NHL Centre Ice by many Habs fans.

>>>> Les Canadiens sont là
          _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

– Nostradamus, 1552

• chanchilla says:

i am pretty sure that gamecenter was going to remove blackouts completely this year. but i could be wrong about that.

• franco says:

Hockey streaming will only be temporary, it will be blocked out.

17. New says:

I wonder if the first home game opening ceremony will have Guy Lafleur once again handing the torch (that’s one heck of a cigarette lighter Guy) to the player predicted to play the least minutes per game in the playoffs? We could have a new superstition here, the Torch of Gloom.

18. Luke says:

@ ‘Twi (specifically, but everyone else feel free to join in):

19. Chris says:

So with the impending Hockey Hall of Fame induction announcements, I just remembered one of my biggest sports pet peeves:

“He should get in the Hall of Fame, but not on the first ballot.”

That sentence is wrong on so many levels. Either you believe a player is worth of being in the Hall of Fame, or you do not. I will leave room for people to change their mind on the impact of a player as time proceeds, but any voter in any sport that does not vote for a player solely because they don’t think that player should be a first-ballot Hall of Fame inductee or because they believe that nobody should be a unanimous decision should permanently lose their voting privileges, as they are clearly introducing a level of subjectivity into the proceedings that has no place.

• Lafleurguy says:

That way of voting rubrics many fans the wrong way.

• krob1000 says:

Agree….they are more finicky with baseball. I also don’t like them choosing based on whetehr or not they liked a player…the idea that Lindros is not in there bothers me. Forsberg, Bure, Neely…all had career cut short. IMO for a few seasons Lindros was the most dominant palyer in the NHL…it is his off ice rep that is keeping him out as the injuries excuse(to me like the others this should be more of a reason to induct him) doesn’t fly given the name I just mentioned.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Hell, I love women yet if Paul Henderson isn’t in a HHoF that has women players, that is seriously effed up.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• Luke says:

Henderson, in terms of his hockey career, isn’t particularly noteworthy with the exception of the Summit Series.

The only thing that qualifies Henderson for inclusion in the Hall of Fame is already celebrated in the Hall of Fame.

Put Henderson in, and you might as well put John Slaney in as well.

• Chris says:

Agreed. I think the Summit Series should prominently featured in the Hockey Hall of Fame, and it certainly has been on the two times I have been there.

But Paul Henderson would be very far down the list if we’re basing the selection on career excellence. If you can let a guy in because of one great month, then there are a lot of other players that deserve to be in there.

• Chris says:

It is the Hockey Hall of Fame, not the NHL Hall of Fame.

As a Hockey Hall of Fame, Angela James, Cammi Granato and Geraldine Heaney all belong.

I don’t like the maximum of 4 entrants per year limitation. If you have more than 4 that legitimately belong, put them in. It boggles the mind that they have implemented that rule at a time when they now have to consider women and increasingly international players.

If they are going to maintain a cap of 4, I would make two selection committees: one for NHL players, and a second for women and international players plus builders that are harder to gauge alongside their NHL counterparts.

For example, my HHOF votes for this year under such a scheme would be:

NHL: Dominik Hasek, Peter Forsberg, Sergei Fedorov, Eric Lindros

Women, International and Builders: Boris Mikhailov, Hakan Loob, Bobbie Rosenfeld, Pat Burns

• Thomas Le Fan says:

There are far better midget and junior players but to each their own and Henderson only scored one of the most famous goals, like ever and the last time I looked hockey is a CANADIAN game. So there’s that.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

20. Forum Dog says:

Hickey’s article identifies only 18 Saturday night games for the Habs on CBC. This is where losing the broadcast rights to Rogers is going to hurt, at least for me. We watch the games online and CBC always provided a decent stream for free and kept the games (in their entirety) as part of the video archive. Losing such easy access to the broadcast is gonna suck….

• BleedsTri-colour says:

Henderson definitely deserves to be IN the HHOF. Remember, its the Hockey Hall of FAME, not the Hockey Hall of Statistics. Henderson decent NHL career notwithstanding, he scored the most famous goal in Cdn hockey history! He scored the winners in game 6,7 & 8 to win the Summit Series. He’s getting on in age (and recent illness) means we are running out of time. Do it now before he’s gone. Come on HHOF.

21. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On ® says:

Why do I have the feeling that, as a Hab Fan in Southern Ontario, I’m going to get royaly shafted when it comes to televised Canadiens’ games?

Last year I got EVERY GAME in one place: RDS. But now the NHL/Rogers are bleating on about “giving more choice to viewers than ever before”. Well guess what? The ONLY choice I want is to watch my Habs. If they’re playing but I can’t watch them because they’re not available on the broadcast schedule, then I don’t care how many Leaf/Senator/Jet/Flame/Oiler/Canuck games are available to me.

• Kooch7800 says:

I am doing the hockey streams thing next year to try it out. That or game centre

• Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On ® says:

How much are those options? I paid $6/month (October to June) to get RDS. So if any option costs me more than $54 plus tax to get all Hab games in HD, then I’ll consider it a huge step backwards.

• Kooch7800 says:

I am in the same boat chuck. It is 100 for a calendar year of Hockey Streams but they also give you AHL & OHL games plus the NHL. This is probably the option I will go with.

NHL Game Centre is more I think around 9/month I believe but you get every NHL game and you can pick the home and away audio whichever you prefer. Only issue is any game broadcast nationally we would get blacked out but the game would be on TV anyway.

I am just going to try something different next year. I have an android box that is hooked into my TV so I can watch XBMC and you can put the Hockey streams app right on there

22. SC-1993 says:

Here’s a fine example for an NHL player

23. Mavid ® says:

Spezza is not even gone yet, and they are already deciding who should be the new Captain..the general consensus is Chris Cement head Neil..really..a 4th line wanna be fighter the Captain..these fans never cease to amaze me..hands down should be Chris Phillips with a second choice being Karlsson..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• Kooch7800 says:

I would agree with Philips and Karlsson. Karlsson would actually be my first choice as Philips will be gone in a year or two

• Mike D says:

The Sens are a Mickey Mouse organization so it’s not surprising that their fans – all 5 or 6 of them – are equally Mickey Mouse.

They likely won’t get a good return on Spezza, at least not what they’re currently asking for.
      They gave Hemsky an insulting offer even after he played well for them and will now be losing him for nothing.
      Michalek is a UFA, he may stay, he may go. If he stays he’s good but you can’t miracles out of him. If he goes, they lose another one of their best offensive talents.
      Turris is signed for a few more years so at least they’ve got him for a while (assuming he doesn’t also ask for a trade a la Spezza)
      And to top it off, Bobby Ryan is a UFA after this coming season. Do you really think he’ll entertain re-signing with them when he knows 29 other teams probably want his services?

– Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

24. SC-1993 says:

wonder what uncle mark is gonna do for us this week…

25. TorontoHabsFan says:

Time for my annual game of “What The Hell Did Turgeon Do To The Hall of Fame Voters??”

How is it that every year at this time he hear about all the players on the Hall of Fame bubble, and never ever do you hear the name Pierre Turgeon. He hit pretty much every marker needed for Hall entry – 515 goals, 1327 pts, 1.02 PPG…and yet, nuthin’.

It’s weird.

• Chris says:

Turgeon has always gotten overlooked. Don Cherry labeled him a coward for not getting involved in the stupidity in the World Junior brawl with the Russians. He was one of the top players in the NHL through his early days, but nobody paid him any attention except when he was getting cross-checked in the head.

He came to Montreal and was expected to be a cultural icon, something he was never comfortable with. He was perceived as soft and not particularly a clutch player.

Personally, I don’t really get the anti-Turgeon sentiment in the league. Turgeon was one of the league’s genuine good guys, an elite offensive player who was content to play within the rules. Somehow over the past 20 years, that has become a terrible thing.

• TorontoHabsFan says:

I asked the same question in another forum and the Piestany thing was mentioned too. I found it a strange thing to remember much less denigrate a player for. That Don Cherry flogged it makes allll the sense in the world.

• New says:

The guy did nothing…except play like a champ every game. Serge Savard brought him in (at high cost) and Houle made him captain when he dumped Roy, and Keane. A few months later Houle gave him away, then a couple weeks after that threw away big Donald Brashear.

The selection committee, even Michael Farber, will never answer the question but I think the Cory/Houle period doomed Turgeon to also ran status against guys who promote the NHL and it’s game. Left alone, with Keane, Brashear, Roy, he might have developed into a real ambassador for the team and the game.

26. B says:

So the Habs lost a valuable coaching resource to a division rival. Any compensation for that?

–Go Habs Go!–

27. GOOD TIMES 1993 says:

Hockey News – in the good ole summertime

28. Cal says:

In 8 more days we’ll have a pretty good idea what our Habs will look like for 14/15.
    Cal’s wish list:
    Parros, Murray, Boullion, Gionta and Markov are allowed to walk.
    Pleks gets traded for a RW with size and speed (a la Weise)
    Gorges gets moved (maybe with Pleks) for a pick.
    Budaj gets moved for a low pick and Tokarski- a $825K Cap saving

Habs replace Gorges, Boullion, Markov and Murray with Weaver, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Pateryn and Nygren.
    This will cost more goals against, but I think a Dcorps with PK as the leader (with a C no less) is the way to get the swagger back to the CH. And no more Dmen playing on the wrong bleeping side.

Players like Eller, Galchenyuk, DD and Brière (for 1 last year) will have to step up and get it done.
    And so, without further ado here are line combos

Bourque, Eller, Weise
    Patches, Galchenyuk, Gallagher
    Vanek’s replacement, DD, What Pleks gets the Habs
    Prust, Brière, Moen

Emelin, PK
    Beaulieu, Nygren
    Tinordi, Pateryn

Weaver.

Ok, blast away! ;)

• GOOD TIMES 1993 says:

Good line up Cal, Mason Raymond and Setoguchi wouldn’t be to bad to go with DD.

• Kooch7800 says:

I like the thought process Cal. I do think that D would get torn to shreds though. Markov needs to be brought back to help transition our D. You need to have balance in leadership back there. I am ok with a couple rookies on D but you need to have at least 3 to 4 vets mixed in there.

I also don’t see DD and Max being split up. They have chemistry. I would be ok with switching it up but we don’t have a lot of good shooter options off the wing.

I really also hope we move Briere. He wasn’t bad for us in the playoffs but isn’t worth his cap hit. He also should not be on the 4th line.

• Cal says:

Not much choice. Brière has a NTC NM clause.
        The vets have shown how far they can take the team. We all saw how they fell apart in the 3rd round. Bringing them back again to rinse and repeat should not be in the cards.

• Kooch7800 says:

I would agree Cal that the Vets can only get us so far in the playoffs but if we go with only two veteran D in our top 6 we really deplete our Depth on D as well. Couple injuries and the D would be in horrible shape.

We will have injuries and you need to have that mix in. I don’t see Gorges, Gionta and Pleks leaving all at once due to the leadership loss. This is a pretty tight locker room (from what we have read and heard) and that would be a pretty massive shake up.

D wasn’t really our issue in the playoffs….goal scoring in the third round killed us.

• Cal says:

Gionta, Pleks, Vanek and Markov did not do it in the 3rd round. We’ve seen this movie many times before, that’s why I favour a massive shake up on D and up front. Getting to be 4th in the league was a great accomplishment for this group of players. As a group, we all know they aren’t quite good enough to get it done.

• Kooch7800 says:

To be fair Cal Vanek didn’t do it in any round lol. Pleks I didn’t think had a great playoff either and I am ok with him being traded. Yes, he is a good two way centre but he isn’t getting any younger and we will soon have a log jam at centre while hurting on the right wing.

I honestly think this team needs Markov back. The kids will be in but you need to have some depth and Markov wasn’t the only one who struggled against the rangers. PK didn’t have a great series either. I also wonder how much of Markov’s struggles were related to how poorly Emelin played. Emelin was decent against boston but against both Tampa and the Rangers he was probably our worst D man

• Mike D says:

I’m with you regarding the D. It would be good to integrate some new blood, but having 67% of your D core as veritable rookies would be a disaster.

You’re probably right about DD and Max not being split up, but I think that’s exactly what needs to happen. Chucky needs to start playing C full time and needs one good winger to work with, as does Eller. That means Max and Gallagher should each play with one of those guys to see how it works.

One good thing abour Briere this season is that he’ll either want to have a good season to earn a new NHL contract next year, or if he plans on retiring, he may want a really good showing for his own personal satisfaction/pride. And he should never be on the 4th line….you’re bang on with that one.

– Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny

• Kooch7800 says:

I am with you that Chucky if they are going to make a centre they need to really start letting him play Centre. Eller if he can play like he did in the playoffs will get tons of ice time. He really seemed to lose his mojo in the regular season. This season will be big for him to start to string together some consistency. He played amazing in the playoffs and MT was not afraid to put him out there I really hope that continues for him.

This will be a very interesting off season

• Mike D says:

Eller can be a beast sometimes, but so far has shown he is prone to LONG cold streaks. His playoff performance was quite good, and also aided by the fact that Bourque got hot at the same time. As you said, Eller needs to play well with consistency (keyword) before we can even think about trading one of DD or Pleks. I’d like to see Chucky get some time centering Max. If they can put up some points and play well, it frees us of the necessity to play DD and Max as a pair.

Our logjam at Center needs to be cleared at some point, and sooner better than later. When I look at the top western teams, I can’t help but wonder that they would beat us handily if DD was our top C. To be fair, I also thought DD was one of our best players against the Rags so I don’t want this to sound like I’m dumping on him cuz I like the guy.

That said, I’d like to see our top 3 C’s be Chucky, Eller, Pleks for the foreseeable future…….BUT that is only possible if Chucky gets the playing time and at least one good winger to work with, and Eller gets the opportunity, shows consistency, and also gets at least one good winger to work with.

– Honestly yours
            Twitter: @de_benny

• Kooch7800 says:

Hi Mike, I am with you on about 98% of it other than Pleks. I think he needs to go. He is by far our oldest centre and his value will fall as he ages further. I do think he has trade value (more so than DD) and I think he should be the centre who is moved. I have never been a fan of pleks. I see how great he is defensively and he can impress offensively from time to time but he is also the guy who takes the worst penalties at key times of the game and has done so too many times. I also see his offensive really falling. As much as Gionta struggled, everyone who plays with Pleks see’s their own numbers fall. Some of that I recognize is playing against the toughest opponent but something tells me that DD and Max draw some big time shut down players as well. Let’s not forget that Max had 39 goals last year. By far our best shooter

• Mike D says:

I hear your concerns on Pleks and they are fair. The reasons why I would prefer to keep him over DD though (just my opinion of course) are these:

– DD can put up points with Max, Vanek, and Gally, but how would he do playing with Pleks’ wingers?
            – Neither player is big or plays physical, but Pleks is the bigger of the two.
            – Chucky is still a kid, Eller is fairly young. One of our top 3 C’s should be a vet IMO. The future is with the youth, but you still needs vets to help guide them…especially lifetime Habs like Pleks who are renown for their work ethic and professionalism.
            – Pleks’ offensive output could wane in the future. Then again, so could DD’s. At least with Pleks you can count on him defensively and on the PK (probably one of the best in the league in those regards). That frees up a guy like Eller to spend more time on offensive assignments.
            – Keeping Pleks also sends a message to the other players that the team will not simply just throw them away once they hit their 30’s.
            – Pleks is only 31 so he hasn’t reached ‘long in the tooth’ territory yet. He’s signed to a fair contract right now, and if we can transition him to a 3rd line C who is charged with putting up SOME offense while keeping the puck out of our net, then we should be able to re-sign him to another appropriate contract after two years.

– Honestly yours
            Twitter: @de_benny

• Phil C says:

Your forwards look good, but that defense would be a huge gamble. If it works out it would be great, but it would more likely be a lottery pick. I would rather get a top four defensemen for Plekanec and try to get a UFA RWer.

• mksness says:

the only thing that line up of yours will win is the lottery pick.

sorry but your D pairings are brutal and anyone who has eller as a first line center is nuts

• Grimmly says:

We only made it to the conference final, I do agree, lets blow the team up……….

• Chris says:

Your defence corps is good if the goal is to become the Edmonton Oilers, a laughing stock franchise that only competes for lottery picks each year. You have 4 rookies in there and a guy coming off a terrible season.

• Cal says:

I disagree about Emelin being “awful”. He came back from a tough injury and I saw him being dinged an awful lot blocking shots.

• Chris says:

I think he **can** rebound, but I think the Habs have to hedge their bets this season with he and Gorges and see which one to keep.

Markov lost a lot of speed with his knee injuries, but he still has his smarts. Emelin also lost some mobility, but I’m hoping it bounces back this season when he gets to train properly for the season.

But I can’t sugar-coat it…Emelin was the worst regular defenceman on the team last season, and it was by a significant margin. Only Murray approached him for being a liability, but at least they could shelter Murray.

• AndyF says:

That seems like too many changes to a team that almost made the finals. I’ll give you:
      1) Parros, Murray, Boullion, Gionta gone.
      2) Budaj traded.
      3) Moen traded (ha!!) or bought out.
      4) Whatever we can get in the UFA market.

But we would really miss Markov and Pleks. Losing them plus Gorges would explode a team that had a lot of leadership and heart.

My team:
      Patches, DD, Bourque
      Galchnyuk, Eller, Gallagher
      Weise, Pleks, Briere
      Prust, UFA, What we get for Gorges

PK, Beaulieu
      Markov, Emelin
      Gorges, Weaver
      Tinordi
      Pateryn

29. Maritime Ronn says:

Here’s wondering if Youppi is taking notes from the World Cup mascot.

Good Morning Boys And Girls ! Summit information.

I will be phoning the Bell Center today to see if Nov. 8th vs Wild game is the night of Guy Lapointe sweater retirement as he works for the Wild. I was advised of this by poster “Les Boys”

If it is, I will ask for our HIO Fan Summit group tickets for Nov.8th. I will let you know how many game tickets each HIO member can get.
    Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

31. Maritime Ronn says:

Re the new schedule, a web site has already calculated the total mileage each team will travel for the year, along with how many back-to-back games they will play.

Philly will travel the least at 31,272 miles.
    Phoenix will travel the most at 49,818 miles.

The Habs will travel 37,135 miles with 16 back-to-back games.

Boston also has 16 back to back games.
    Some good news is that the Habs will play the Bruins 4 times this year, yet for the Bruins, 2 of those games will be their 2nd game in 2 nights.

Tampa and Detroit have it easy playing only 12 b-2-b games.

….Toronto, its media and fans, are already complaining, whining, and moaning about having to play 18 back to back games.
    Only Buffalo and Columbus have more at 19.

The Leafs have a weird schedule,
    22 of their first 33 games are at home…which means the annual fall off the cliff in Feb-March will happen on the road.

32. Arnou Ruelle says:

Good Morning to everyone again!

I was reading a report on NHL.com about “What Atlantic Needs”

Here’s the opinion on what the Habs need:

MONTREAL CANADIENS
    Top priority: Strong, physical forwards

The situation: The Canadiens addressed a glaring need for size along the forward lines at the 2013 draft when they selected 6-foot-6 right wing Michael McCarron in the first round (No. 25), but he remains a work in progress and will continue to grow and mature with the London Knights of theOHL. Swedish left wing Jacob De la Rose (2013, No. 34) probably is ahead of McCarron at this stage of his development. Goalie Zachary Fucale (2013, No. 36) and defenseman Jarred Tinordi (2010, No. 22) have made progress in their growth. Tinordi, a 6-foot-6, 227-pound left-shot defenseman, played 22 games with the Canadiens in 2013-14. Montreal hasn’t had a 40-goal scorer since Brian Bellows in 1993-94, but at the rate forward Alex Galchenyuk (2012, No. 3) is progressing, having a 40-goal scorer might soon be the least of the team’s worries.

Possible fits: Center Ryan MacInnis (Kitchener, OHL); center Eric Cornel (Peterborough, OHL); left wing Adrian Kempe (Modo, SWE).

I like the idea of taking Ryan MacInnis as our pick. Assuming that Marc Bergevin would want to make a trade this week and before friday to move up the 26th pick to a higher pick, I think MacInnis is a safe and good choice to land a player here in Montreal.

Someone here at HIO refer to a Ryan Mantha as a good prospect for the Habs’ D:

So, we now have two weeks of NHL moves off the ice. Anybody else here who knows scouting and possible junior players to get drafted in Montreal?

33. habsfan1993 says:

It seems that the Habs are finally ditching the long, mid-winter southern road-trip. You know, the one where they hit a slide, lose a lot, and never recover? I’ve been saying for years that a circus does not come before the Habs’ success. I do see they’re on the road to close out the calendar year, but not for the same length as in years past.

“Just because you are wearing a new Maple Leafs sweater, does not mean you make the rules around here, young man.”

34. CJ says:

Today kicks off, what should be, the busiest two weeks of the off season.

Hopefully we have some fresh news to discuss further in the days ahead. I don’t profess to have all the solutions, but I sure love to analyze the moves. Again, as far as I’m concerned, I wouldn’t approach the plate appearance looking for a home run. A more measured approach will lead to success down the road. Let’s have a solid draft and look for value on the free agency front. Other franchises can make the big mistakes and pay days (I see you Toronto, Philly….).

As the negotiation window opens, I wonder if our chances to resign Markov and/or Gionta closes, or severely compresses? You just know somebody will step up and throw serious dollars and term at these guys. Their resolve will be tested. So much as both say they want to play in Montreal, money talks. Players such as Matt Greene could end up signing contracts that eclipse their career earnings.

• Loop_Garoo says:

I think Gio’s will close quickly as at his age he is going to try to grab the longest most lucrative deal he can, Markov’s window probably stays open for a while, as he wants to stay and is a good enough player to get a good contract any time he wants.

35. Good Morning All,

Just going out on a limb here by saying that MB might stand path by signing all UFA’s and RFA’s? The Cap payroll is at $45,673,333.00. Here’s a list of the following players to be signed to a contract extension or extensions. Take or give a little extra towards salary. Just throwing this out there to see how close these contracts might match up to with very little Cap Space left afterwards. Just to say here. Pure speculation on my part on what might happen in the coming days. Here it is;

Brian Gionta = 3.5m
    Andrei Markov = 5m
    P.K. Subban = 7.25m
    Lars Eller = 3.75m
    Mike Weaver = 1.5m
    Ryan White = 850,000

That totals up to be $21,850,000.00. Now add the above total amount of $45,673,333.00 which = $67,523,333.00. Now that only leaves a total amount of Cap Space left of $3,576,667.00. Not much left in the tank to sign another player since Tomas Vanek is not part of this equation. I think as the saying goes is out with the old and in with the new. By dropping Gionta, Markov and Weaver is a savings of 10m towards additional Cap Space. Surely MB can find replacement players for these three or trades have to happen? MB has work to do and I cannot wait to see what unfolds leading up to July 1st? Get er Done!! Have a Great Habs Day you all!!

Go Habs Go!!!

• CJ says:

I’d like to see Weaver retained, but wouldn’t blame him if he wanted a three year deal. In this case, we thank him for his service and part company. Same with Gionta and Markov. All are at the age where they want a final multi year deal. It’s those second and third years that pose issues.

So far as I’m concerned, there’s no better example then Briere. I have no clue how he fits into our roster. This is the issue with a multi year contract (extension). It would be ideal if contracts could be signed following training camp. Bournival forced his way onto the team last year. Could DLR do the same this year after having played against men in Europe? I don’t know, but I’m a fan of open competition so I’d like to see guys fighting (not literally) for spots this fall, as opposed to guys showing up knowing they are locked in just because of their no movement clause.

• B says:

There’s no basis of comparison between Briere and Markov. We know exactly where Markov fits in. As for Gionta, there may be some similarities offensively, but Gionta is valuable and experienced defensively and on the PK where as Briere seems to be more one dimensional now.

–Go Habs Go!–

• CJ says:

The basis for comparison is the contract length. It is a given that we all know where Markov slots into the lineup in 2014, but where does he play when the season starts in 2016? Therein lies the question that is not easily answered. This, IMO, is the exact same as the Briere situation. I kinda had an idea where Briere fit last year. I am less than certain that I have any clue where he fits this year. Same for Markov and Gionta. It’s not a one year extension that worries me. Both players are seeking a multi year offer.

As it stands now, I can only see one of two things happening, neither of which benefits the franchise – we either lose Markov for nothing, or we sign him for a term longer then we wish to commit to.

36. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning all. I’m waken by the posts and thoughts about a November Summit visit to Montreal. It’s probably weird to wish the summer away (especially at my age) but it certainly gives me something to look forward to. A visit to Montreal to see my team and many good friends. Cool stuff.

Speaking of cool stuff and in no way related to hockey, my wife and I were out and about yesterday when we spotted a large pull off on the road. There were no buildings around it and we decided to pull off there, thinking it might be a hiking/biking trail or something.

As we got out of the car we could see a small monument that was titled “Colored Cemetery”. In the woods and swamp behind the monument were markers, some with stones – most just post sticking out of the ground, of the final resting places of slaves who served their owners in this area.

Both Janet and I were silent as we strolled through the cemetery, gently picking away weeds and grass that have overrun the sites. Poles and sticks sticking into the ground served as markers for the majority of the graves.

Coins and stones were placed atop the monument, an African coin among them. I do know that this is a Jewish tradition that gives respect to those who are buried here.

As we got back into our cars it struck me that the lack of respect and dignity that these people must have endured all their lives was also reflected in the way in which they were buried.

I plan on stopping at this site whenever I am near. It was just a chance encounter but in truth it was much more meaningful to me then the Sunday morning services I had attended only hours before.

When we returned home I goggled the site and found some interesting articles. You can read more about this site here.

CHeers to all!

37. ClutchNGrab says:

There are blackouts on nhl center ice for viewers living in the local market. So if you live in the territory served by rds/tva sport/ tsn montreal, those games won’t be availabe on nhl center ice.

From nhl center ice website:

Blackout restrictions exist to protect the local telecasters of each NHL game in the local markets of the teams. Keep in mind that blackout policies and restrictions are different for every sports package that your system may carry. (NHL CENTER ICE is designed for the NHL fan who wants to see NHL games in addition to those which involve the team(s) in their local markets).

If you are located in a team’s television territory, check your local listings for all locally televised games. NHL CENTER ICE is not able to televise these games.

If you are located in a team’s television territory and their local regional sports network is not available on your current cable or satellite provider, you will not be able to see these games in NHL CENTER ICE . This is a distribution issue between the regional sports network and the cable/satellite provider. The blackout remains intact as the local regional sports network has the rights to these games in your area.

TV markets

With that last link, it is clear why Bettman wants a team in Seattle and has no interst in a team in Quebec City. Additional tv revenues vs marginal increase in attendance revenues.

• Marc10 says:

The solution to that would be to use a VPN service. Hola (better Internet) is one solution to mask your IP and allow you to appear as a local user. Costs nothing. Just watched the CBC live world cup feed from France in house without a TV aerial. You’ll need a decent Internet connection though as it may lag if you’re using Wifi.

38. Marc10 says:

Gotta say… I really hate playing the Leafs to start and end every season. Not only because they are a dirty team coached by a a-grade wanker, but they also get up for the games… Our team never seems to find their groove against TO…

• CJ says:

I agree with you Marc. The Leafs get up to play Montreal, the way the Canadiens elevate their game against the Bruins.

I might be wrong, but the last opener we won against the Leafs saw Gorges scoring the OT winner in Toronto. If memory serves, BGL and Orr had a tussle early in the first period. My wife and I were vacationing in Tremblant – before kids……

• Loop_Garoo says:

To me it just feels artificial. Would rather play any other team first.

39. Marc10 says:

There’s zero issue. Just get NHL Centerice and you’re laughing. All games from every team and the playoffs… They even had the games ‘en Français’ this year. No Jack Edwards… No Bob Cole… Plenty of options and the condensed game feeds post game too. Heck, you could even go back and watch the last 4 years of games and all time classics in ‘the vault’. Habs-USSR 1975, no problem. Cherry’s too many men in all its glory… It’s all there. You can even play it on iPad, Playstation, Android…

40. CHicoHab says:

NHL Centre Ice package is what I mean.

41. CHicoHab says:

With the NHL package is it 100% that you will see all 82 Hab games?? Or can blackouts still apply??

• Timo says:

How much does that cost?

• habcertain says:

No blackouts, they did show some games on the NHL network last year and unless you paid the extra for that channel you would miss the few that they showed, was a few on Saturday night, apparently they have rectified that this year, if you get center ice you get all NHL games, $150.00 last year.

42. Goldenchild says:

Goldenchild has 3 letters for all Habs fans….are you ready?…..RDS!!!!! The play by play and overall hockey know how is the BEST. If you don’t understand french, take a lesson, as your passion for the Habs will escalate to new heights. It did for me. There is not turning back once you have experienced RDS my friends. It is like watching Newman leaving the Soup Nazi restaurant with his favourite soup, “Jumbilaya”!!!!

• sprague cleghorn says:

Sadly, according to the latest information, for those of us outside of Quebec and Eastern Ontario, RDS is no longer an option. It will be blacked out, much like my mood at this news.

… ‘ow could we forget that?

• Timo says:

It does look like it. Meaning, I might as well just ditch RDS, TSN, and all other useless channels that come with that package and get NHL Network or whatever it’s called. Or maybe it wouldn’t be so bad to take a break from Habs and Michael Therrien.

• habcertain says:

They don’t have the rights for the whole season, TVA is showing games also

HiS…thanks a bunch for the scotch tip. I think I’ll pick somthing in the middle of the pack at 460K… 64 Year Old Macallan.

Bash, thank you as well.

44. GOOD TIMES 1993 says:

Like a kid Christmas night waiting for a special Gift.

45. Habitant in Surrey says:

What do My Brothers and Sisters here think of organizing an HIO petition and marketing campaign to send to Rogers a message on behalf of Habs’ Fans in the ROC, the US and Asia and Europe ?

The argument to be that Montreal Canadiens’ Fans have the numbers to justify to Roger’s a dedicated subscribed Habs’ Channel, nationally, to carry all Habs’ games of the regular season in French and English.

Roger’s to negotiate with Bell to package a Habs’ Channel cooperatively between RDS/TSN and Roger’s.

Through HIO, as a collective of Habs Fans, We may get their attention, …instead of each of Us knashing Our teeth, alone, in Our kitchens. bedrooms or while sitting on the ‘john’.

To be effective, We ‘expats in foreign places’ will need badly Our Quebec-based ‘homies’ to participate and support the goal as well.

Canada needs a Habs’ Channel Now ! …Canada needs a Habs Channel Now !! …Canada needs a Habs Channel Now !!! :(

What Y’all say, homies ???

46. FormalWare says:

Here’s the best summary I’ve come across of the bad news for us Habs fans outside their broadcast region:

WWSD (What Would SubbieDoo?)

• Habitant in Surrey says:

It’s as clear as mud, yet the most information on the subject read yet …thank you Sean

Bottom-line, Habs Fans out west are still in limbo, and I’m anticipating the worse

• Timo says:

Not if you pony up for both RDS (which you have) and TVA Sports (which you most likely don’t, so a bit extra to get that).

• Habitant in Surrey says:

I prefer the English language broadcasts Timo …I get the nuances of the conversation and descriptions more clearly in English.

Business-wise to Me it makes sense.

For Weeds’, Raptors’, Turdranna FC’, Argonauts’ fans, let them have a Turdranna Sports Channel

For Habs’, Alouettes’, Impact Fans …and there are enough of them spread across Canada, let’s have a Montreal Sports Channel, if not
          just a Habs Channel.

I thought that would the objective of Roger’s deal.

Speaking for Myself, I’m going to be pissed out of My mind if I can’t watch My Habs the way I want.

• PK says:

Thanks Sean.
      Do people have experience with NHL Centre Ice?
      Would it be worthwhile for those of us in Western Canada?

We may not know this information yet .. sounds like things are a
      bit up in the air; I mean, aside from those 32 games being covered by Rogers.

Sounds like RDS (and its parent company) are going to take a hit outside Quebec.

>>>> Les Canadiens sont là
      _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

– Nostradamus, 1552

• sprague cleghorn says:

For those of us in the ROC, this is a disaster.

… ‘ow could we forget that?

• BramScott says:

Thanks for that link, cleared up a lot of confusion for me. I’m a Bell subscriber in Toronto area and currently have RDS and TVAsports HD in my package of channels. Of the Sportsnet channels however, I only have the 360 channel. I just checked the Bell website to see what it would cost to add the sportsnet family of channels and according to there list of available channels, only SportsnetOne and 360 are available in HD. The regional channels are SD.
      To sum up, this really sucks as it looks like I will only get the TVAsports games and CITYtv games as I not going back to watching in SD.

• habstrinifan says:

Great link actually… full explanation of the unwelcome news.

47. mksness says:

sign PK…. is it really that hard to do? or are we still waiting for him to prove himself to the club. and sign markov too to his 3 year deal at 18m. ( bring back vanek as well or don’t but then complain about some else not producing)

can’t believe the management on our team is taking their time on this stuff… instead we the fans get to talk about how well our GM did with weaver and weise. good teams lock up their top talent first.

and by the way people saying vanek sucks should realize we’re better off with him at 7.5 a year rather than gionta(who i love) at 3m/yr and briere(uhhhh) at 4yr.

rant complete

• GOOD TIMES 1993 says:

They should be ashamed of themselves. People out there starving in some cases by no means their fault and these Guys turning down 5, 6, 7mil a year to entertain people chasing a little black puck around the ice trying to put it in a big net. I know people on the outside who work just as hard as some of these guys, look at some of them with their shirts of, you’d think they were cooks, by the way no offense to the cooks.

• Loop_Garoo says:

The point that you seem to be missing is that the only thing you get paid for is the market value for your services. The amount of money you get paid has very little to do with your responsibility, your importance, your societal value. It is strictly a market valuation, similar to a stock. Coke may have a higher market value than a pharmaceutical company making cancer meds, but this has nothing to do with the fundamental importance of the product they make.

48. habstrinifan says:

Mike “Putin” Keenan being discussed on “that’s Hockey” now.

49. sirs81 says:

This is the website I use to watch hockey. They have everything there. From CHL to NHL to International hockey and KHL from time to time. Streams are SD or HD with multiple sources and locations around the world. I used this last year to watch games from Thailand. It was a blast showing my Thai father in law hockey. He loved it lol.

• CH Marshall says:

Probably wondering why his son in law is so obsessed about a game played indoors on a frozen sheet if water

• sirs81 says:

Yeah I cant wait till they come here. I told them to come to Canada during winter so they get to see how Spring is. And I can also take them Ice fishing and to a hockey game!!!!!

50. I live in St. John’s, Newfoundland….will RDS be blacked out in my neck of the woods?

51. habstrinifan says:

Great soccer game for USA but the Portugal tieing goal can be DIRECTLY traced to a giveaway IN THE OFFENSIVE zone by the USA.

They snatched a draw from the jaws of victory maybe. I think they could still be knocked out by a loss to Germany and a win by Portugal against Ghana.

Could be disastrous.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Unlikely. Portugal need a 5 goal swing.

Ghana are more likely to advance if they beat Portugal.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• DipsyDoodler says:

If Germany beat USA 3-0 and Portugal win 2-0, then US and Portugal are tied on points, goal difference, goals scored and head-to-head.

The final tie breaker is FIFA ranking, which favors Portugal.

—–
        Moving. Forward.

• habstrinifan says:

Thanks… too lazy to do the calc. here. It would have been a shame but also I hope the USA takes a serious look at that ‘giveaway’. There were many similar balls they Portugal players to get to without enough of a challenge.

2014 Summit weekend looks like this!! Only 4 Sat. games that work! What is your pleasure??

Oct.18 Avalanche
    Oct. 25 Rangers
    Nov, 8 Wild
    Nov. 15 Flyers

Or Guy Lapointe sweater retirement night–Date unknown yet!

53. veryhabby says:

Ok everyone, here’s the deal.

If u live in Quebec…no worries u r covered with RDS and TVAsports.

If u don’t live in Quebec, u were able to watch all Hab games on RDS as long as ur provider had the channel. I’m in GTA and have Shaw and paid only $2 extra each month for RDS. It was soooo worth it.

But due to this new Sportsnet deal, RDS is no longer allowed to show its games Nationally. So they will be blackout outside of Quebec. I can assume it’s the same for the 20 TVAsport Hab games.

Rogers couldn’t be happier cause Bell owns RDS and obviously they will lose all their subscibers. I mean why would I keep RDS now.

So all this rah rah about great coverage for fans across the country…is bull for Hab fans.

• habstrinifan says:

By outside Quebec do you mean Ottawa. I got RDS on the cheapest VIP pkg here from Rogers and got all the HABS games. Hope it stays this way.

• Bill J says:

TVA has the national rights, so those 20 games are available if you ca get that channel where you live.

I’m tempted to setup a bell account in Quebec, use the chip as a “Quebec” dish.

• slapshot777 says:

What about East in Newfoundland and maritimes?

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

54. Bill J says:

I’m fairly certain this is what is happening with coverage.

West of Ottawa valley, RDS is blacked out (they are covering 60 games regionally)

TVA/HNIC/CTV/Rogers will air the other 20 games nationally.

55. DipsyDoodler says:

USA – Portugal. What a game!!!!

—–
    Moving. Forward.

Are we not getting the Hab’s on RDS this year???

57. Habitant in Surrey says:

You would have thunk that the marketing ‘brains’ with Rogers would know the Habs and MuppleWeeds are followed by fans across Canada.

Well, da Weeds fans are likely well-served no matter where their holes are in the ground across Canada, but Habs Fans are an after-thought.

The numbers of eyeballs out there for both teams, seem to Me, to justify a Habs’ Channel, and a MuppleWeeds Channel.

In effect, I am certain there will be a channel for da Weeds, but nothing for the Habs. Am I correct or wrong ?

58. sirs81 says:

Why dont you guys just use hockey streams? I pay 100 per year get all the games no black outs.. HD quality.

59. Ferg says:

I am currently a Roger’s subscriber for TV, but I have my home phone and Internet with Bell. So basically I pay waay too much and I am looking to bundle my services. I was wanting to go with Bell for the wireless Fibe TV but I don’t want to leave Roger’s if it means I see fewer Habs games.

What is the solution?
    Will Bell subscribers have just as many Habs games as Roger’s subscribers?

60. Habitant in Surrey says:

To help Me avoid going through all the minutia of Roger’s subscription plans across Canada,are there any BC Boyz here that are clear about the availability of watching Habs’ games in British Columbia ?

I am very confused, hearing different stories. I’m not sure what to believe.

My provider is Telus in the Surrey/White Rock area.

1) …is Roger’s making subscription packages available to all BC providers (incl. Shaw, etc.), or are they expecting Us to switch to Roger’s as a provider ?

2) …if available to all providers, is Roger’s allowing TVA to be available as part of the current French-language package subscription ($ 5/mo) available with Telus, which now includes RDS ?

3) …has all the above yet been detailed and published in BC ?

61. Habitant in Surrey says:

@Timo (in case You missed My response on other thread)

Macallan 55 Year old Lalique Crystal Decanter (Price: $12,500)

Glenfiddich 50 Year Old (Price: $16,000)

Highland Park 50 Year Old Single Malt (Price: $17,500)

Dalmore 62 Single Hiland Malt Scotch (Price: $58,000)

1926 Macallan Fine And Rare Collection (Price: $75,000)

Dalmore 64 Trinitas (Price: $160,000)

62 Year Old Dalmore (Price: $200,000)

64 Year Old Macallan (Price: $460,000)

105 Year Old Master of Malt (Price: $1.4 Million)

Isabella’s Islay (Price: $6.2 Million)

…how ‘good’ a ‘friend’ is he Michael ?

62. veryhabby says:

So that’s it!!???

All us Hab fans living outside of Quebec who were able too catch aall 82 games on RDS are now going to be blackout out cause of this horrible Sportsnet deal, and all we get is most Saturday games (not all), 4 we’d night games, and 4 Sunday games.

I am sooooo upset right now. Bye bye subscription to RDS. But Sportsnet doesn’t care cause their owners didn’t even carry RDS. It’s their competitors that will be losing subscription money. And this crappy deal gets even sweeter for Rogers…laughing all the way to the bank. And the fans suffer.

• Bill J says:

I wanna see what TVA’s schedule is like.

• Strummer says:

I get TVA Sports in HD as part of my French language package with Rogers in the GTA, though I would prefer more games in English, because I don’t understand most of the analysis. I guess we will see how it shakes out.

____________________________________________________
        “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• habcertain says:

Center Ice will be smiling, and the NHL

63. Cal says:

Thanks for the new thread with the sked being released. Now, can we please be rid of the SCOREBOARD for the rest of the summer? Eh?

64. slapshot777 says:

Big question for me this year is who is showing what in terms of Habs games and how to make sure I get all 82 of them come this season.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

65. Maritime Ronn says:

Heard on the ‘Street’ that the loss of Gallant is a much bigger blow to the Habs coaching staff than is being reported.

Head Coach MT is solid with Management/RDS Media, yet is now left with J.J Daigneault and Press Box Clement Jodoin as assistants.

The guys in the Room and Management appeared to have really appreciated Gallant because he paid his dues and actually Played the game at the NHL Level… and played it with passion that they could somehow understand…

GP; 615.
    Goals: 211.
    Points: 480
    …And Gallant was as tough as nails….1674 PiMs.

66. sreuel says:

Leafs media already complaining they play 18 back to back games

67. PK says:

Already looking forward to the Habs’ trip to Western Canada!!

GHG!

>>>> Les Canadiens sont là
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

– Nostradamus, 1552

68. piper says:

Will RDS still be showing all Hab games?

69. Commandant says:

#72 Hunter Smith… who is a giant winger if you want a Moar Bigger guy.

70. CJ says:

Interesting to see City TV carrying five of our games this season, including the match up versus the Coyotes on super bowl Sunday.

71. habsfan0 says:

“the Phoenix Coyotes on Super Bowl Sunday. Both games will be 1 p.m. starts.”

Actually,it’ll be the Arizona Coyotes that visit on Super Bowl Sunday.

Red and White game is exactly 3 months away.
    Are scalpers outside the Bell yet?

72. Thurston says:

Why do the Canadiens always have to be on the road during the Christmas holidays? Some of us from out-of-town might want to come in to Montreal for a game one of these years yet the Habs are always down south helping to fill buildings in Carolina and Florida.