Habs, Rangers back on the ice Saturday for practices (Video)

habstokarski

(Photo: Dave Stubbs/The Gazette)

The Canadiens and Rangers returned to the ice on Saturday at Madison Square Garden after an off day as they prepared for Game 4 in their Eastern Conference final series.

There was a bit of intrigue at the start of the Canadiens practice with Rangers assistant coach Ulf Samuelsson, video coach Jerry Dineen, and another team staff member watching from the stands –as well as general manager Glen Sather.

There’s a gentleman’s agreement that coaches aren’t allowed to attend opposing teams’ practices between games, Canadiens coach Michel Therrien explained.

“When we saw those assistant coaches there, they were not supposed to be there so we let them know,” he said.

Canadiens assistant coach Jean-Jacques Daigneault went to tell them and ‘they didn’t appear to understand,” said Therrien who then conveyed the message.

Michaël Bournival practised on a line with Daniel Brière and Dale Weise. And Thomas Vanek played on the line centred by Lars Eller with Rene Bourque.

Francis Bouillon played in a defensive pairing with Mike Weaver, leading to speculation that he might play Sunday. But Therrien was tight-lipped about his lineup.

Rangers coach Alain Vigneault said it’s unlikely Derek Stepan, who suffered a broken jaw when he was checked by Brandon Prust in Game 3, will play on Sunday. Prust has been suspended for two games for the hit.

“The hit itself wasn’t really a topic in the (disciplinary) hearing, it was all about the timing of it,” Prust told reporters after the Canadiens practice.

“I kept my skates on the ice, my shoulder into his chest, I didn’t leave my feet, so it’s just all about the timing. It’s fractions of a second. The NHL deems a hit late around .6 seconds and I’m about .8 seconds. You know, that’s on me. It’s late. But for me my focus was on trying to make a good clean body check and not leave my feet, my elbows tucked. Everything about the actual contact is clean it’s just–it’s late.”

“My mindset is not trying to injury anybody and (Stepan) is a friend of mine,” said Prust, who spent two and a half seasons with the Rangers.

Prust said he had sent a text message to Stepan.

“I told him exactly what I told you guys. It’s my first shift, I’m just trying to create some body contact. And I feel awful. You never want to hurt anybody. And I hope he recovers well.”

You can hear more of what Prust had to say here:

Therrien said he expected forward Derick Brassard, who has missed two games with an injury, will be back in the Rangers’ lineup.

The Rangers lead the best-of-seven series 2-1.

“I still think that we have a lot more to give,” Canadiens defenceman P.K. Subban said.

“I don’t think we’ve played our best hockey game yet in this series. I think we’ve done some good things. But I still think there’s another level for us to get to and we’ve got to get to it,” Subban said.

You can listen to Therrien’s post-practice press conference here:

You can hear more of what Subban had to say here:

You can listen to Daniel Brière here:

(Video: Brenda Branswell)

Game 4 Preview, NHL.com

Animosity grows on eve of Game 4, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

One victim apiece now in series, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Tokarski has given Habs hope, by Jack Todd for The Gazette

Tokarski goes from Saskatchewan farm to Montreal spotlight, by Gazette sports editor Stu Cowan

Don Cherry finally recognizes Canadiens, by Pat Hickey

Rise and grind, canadiens.com

Stepan out, Brassard in for Rangers in Game 4, NHL.com

Rangers’ Carcillo appealing 10-game suspension, NHL.com

Rangers’ Boyle proving himself as playoff performer, NHL.com

Things get heated at practice, New York Daily News

Vigneault’s firing by Canadiens led to his success, New York Times

Prust unfazed by Garden faithful, New York Post

Special teams might just be the elephant in the room for the Habs so far in this series. They are 0-9 on the PP and have allowed four goals while killing 12 penalties with one of their best penalty killers now out for two games.

24.6 Cups

• Paz says:

Subban used to be a good penalty killer in the old days.

• Corporate says:

We are falling in the same trap as agianst Tamp Bay. With Boston we we just playing our game and said screw you to the other team. Now we are thinking too much on the PP. We need to move our feet and move the puck better. Pretty much the goal that Vanek scored in PP in Game 6 of the Boston series. Everyone was moving and battling for the puck. We were hungrier.

2. Paz says:

And how does he do it? By sliding into an open area quietly, near the crease, to jump on a loose puck.

(Sorry, this is about Briere)

• Corporate says:

Same goes for Vanek. he is the type f player that will be invisible for 59 minutes and then score 2 goals to win it. it is just the type of player that he is. he may be injured but we still need his vision on the ice.

3. Commandant says:

Win Tonight.

Tomorrow when the Rangers practice…. set up an entire video crew and film every detail.

Afterwards, no need to even watch the tape… just do it to **** with them.

Looks like I’m going to have to revise my opinion about Jeff Carter.

24.6 Cups

• Cal says:

He does come through when it counts, doesn’t he? He’s having the playoff Vanek would have if he wasn’t playing with one hand.

• Paz says:

How does Vanek’s hand injury stop him from skating, Cal?

• Cal says:

He is not a 200 foot player. Neither is Carter.

• Paz says:

Carter is a hell of a skater. He can skate the puck out of trouble, he can lead the rush, he can play center on a top line.

Actually, Carter is a hell of a hockey player. He also has a great shot which he uses to score tons of goals, in the clutch.

I liked Vanek when he was moved over to play with Desharnais and Max. Everyone liked him. He’s not the same player today.

• Commandant says:

We must be watching a different Jeff Carter, who is absolutely a two-way hockey player.

• Cal says:

@ commandant- I’d agree with you if I didn’t see Carter float until the Olympics and playoffs. A lot of the big guys do it. Nobody can play that intensely over 100 games in less than 9 months.

• 24 Cups says:

I’m also going to change my opinion about Danny Brière, who has seven points in 13 games and is seventh in points produced per 60 minutes of ice time in this year’s playoffs.

24.6 Cups

5. Louisville says:

Sounds like the Cube is in for Beaulieu. More idiocy from a coach that hasn’t figured out that not only do the Habs need more offensive minded players like Nathan in the line up given the Habs difficulty to score. But putting in a lead footed D like Bouillon will undoubtedly have the Habs giving up even more odd man rushes than they already have. How can this guy be a professional coach, HOW?!

6. Habfan10912 says:

Here in the US we celebrate a long weekend in remembrance of all those that have given so much for us. We call it Memorial Day and its celebrated across the land with parades, family barbecues, and visits to the final resting places of loved ones and small town hero’s.

We should all take a minute sometime this weekend and remember all of those brave men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice.

We would do well to remember all of the folks who served in the military and those that do so today. Without them there would be no game to watch tonight.

As a community here on HIO we have many members that have served in the Armed Forces. They are our true HIO Hero’s. Although I do not know all of you that have served, I’d list each of you individually if I did, but I know of one whose story has been told many times here.

My friend Sholi and his story is an example of the special people that surround us in every walk of life. Including HIO. For those that do not know Shane’s story here it is.

On behalf of my family I’d like to extend my heartfelt thanks and appreciation for all that they have done. ALL of our lives are made better because of Shane and others. We are indebted to them.

Here is Shane’s story.

• Cal says:

Excellent post, Jim.
      There is always time every day to remember why we have it so good. Shane’s and many others’ sacrifices have made where we live a very special place.
      A heartfelt “Thank you” is a good place to start. Whenever I say it to a veteran I see a face light up and a realization that they aren’t forgotten. We should all make sure they are never forgotten and fight with stubborn politicians and their pencil pushers to see that they are properly taken care of, seeing that our soldiers are for when those same politicians fail to keep the peace.
      Thank you, Shane.

• L Elle says:

Yes, good call Jim!

• habfan01 says:

Amen to that.

• B says:

Good post.

This is the 96th anniversary of the Memorial Cup. This year’s final game is being played at 4:00 PM this afternoon. A proud tradition. From their website:

“The trophy was originally known as the OHA Memorial Cup and was donated by the Ontario Hockey Association in March, 1919, in remembrance of the many soldiers who paid the supreme sacrifice for Canada in The First World War. In 2010 the Memorial Cup was rededicated to the memory of all fallen Canadian Military Personnel.”

–Go Habs Go!–

• Loop_Garoo says:

Thanks for the post, and I hope you have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend.

• Fansincebirth says:

I spent 10 1/2 years in the Military as a tech and the closest I got to an active theatre was Germany (80 – 84) and Cyprus for a short stint but I have no stories to tell. The Military is very near and dear to my heart as it is with my family members.

7. JUST ME says:

Game day ! About time !

I know that one must never underestimate the opponent but me, moi ,je ,myself, i do not think that the Rangers have it in them to play the intimidating game either on the ice or in our head. I think we should go for the Prusty technique and hit them hard and often while slowing them down.
    Feels weird by the way to see that change in attitude in my part. Not that i am in favor of intimidation à la Bucking Fruins but if i do not admit that it is part of the game then i am on the loser`s side. I am just surprised that we now (in my book) are in control of the mind games when not so long ago…

Meanwhile i trust our leaders to do so and take charge of the scoring to help us even things out in the serie. We will see quite rapidly if we are back on track by scoring early in the game.

Go Habs Go !

8. Habfan10912 says:

For those that thought yesterday’s Brooks report was bias-filled, you may want to skip this one.

9. CJ says:

Good morning folks.

Heading to the golf course, but thought I’d share another musing before heading out the door.

Habs fans, specifically me, are often guilty of looking into the future or dwelling on the past. I often catch myself saying, just wait 2-3 years. I can’t wait to see the lineup when it includes X and Y on defence and A and B up front. I even go so far as watching junior games to see our prospects, both on television or in person. Each morning I check Habs prospects.com and the draft guides, prospects reports, etc. I’ve researched Nick Sorkin, Mark MacMillan, etc. It’s all about the future, right?

I also find myself living in the past. I think about big wins, big fights, nice goals. Those games I’ve attended. The run in 2010, the Cup in 93. I remember being a little boy and watching the old Adams division and games against the Whalers, Nords and Bruins. I think about spending time at my grandmother’s house, in front of the kerosene stove, watching the hockey game while enjoying hot air popcorn and a root beer float. I’ve read all the books, starting at about 10 years of age. Old players and their numbers, I know them all. The big three, the Rocket, Harvey, Reardon, Vezina. I’ve read all the stories. I got to enjoy a game at the forum. It’s a glorious past and I often take extended vacations down memory lane. I mean, it’s our history and nothing compares, right?

Fact is, it’s not the future, nor the past that should be top of mind. It’s right now. This team, tonight, has a chance to not only even the series, but capture momentum and break the will of the once “mighty” rangers. IMO, their leaking air and it’s a matter of time before their tires go flat. A win tonight and we will take the series. A win tonight and they will come undone. They were riding a high, following two seven game series victories. They have been the underdog, but suddenly were cast in the role of favorite. Not to be disrespectful, but they found a rallying point surrounding St. Louis and the passing of his mother. They should have rallied around the Stepan loss, but realized they can not fight back. Humbly, the team reminds me of Montreal in 2010. If we can get Hank thinking, the Rangers will fold.

Folks, this is our night. Right now, tonight. We can do this. Get behind, or stay behind this team. They need our positive energy. Don’t get caught, as I often do, looking ahead to next season. Our chance is right now, and might not get better for years. There’s no guarantee in sports. Three wins. Three more wins and we go to the finals. Contrary to popular opinion, we will only need to face ONE of Chicago or LA, not both. We will cross that bridge in the future. Tonight, it’s all about the present.

Cheers, CJ

• Habfan10912 says:

Sounds like CJ is ready for the GAME! Enjoy the golf. It’ll be a nice past time activity leading up to puck drop. CHeers.

• Cal says:

Hear, hear, CJ. Once the playoffs begin, it’s all about the ride right now and not about speculation, excepting who should be in or out.
      This close to achieving the finals and I’m still reading “Therrien is an idiot” posts.

• The Gumper says:

Great post CJ and I agree wholeheartedly! Now is the time and I really believe we will win the Cup this year. I sent an email to all of my hockey buds (the vast majority are non Hab fans) on March 29th predicting a Cup win. That feeling hasn’t changed at all.
      Anyway, keep it in the short stuff and Go Habs Go!

10. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

Eye for an eye.
    Go HABS GO!!!

11. Habilis says:

Even excluding an unspoken gentleman’s agreement, the Rangers coaches had to know that what they were doing was wrong. If this were a common tactic, that would be one thing. But from everything I’ve read about this, it’s pretty much never done overtly like this.

This tells me something. Whether they did it to gain actual intel or just to irk the Habs, the Rangers brass are looking for an edge. They’re worried.

Go Habs Go.

12. Bozo McBozo says:

It’s all really very simple. A puck will be dropped tomorrow night at about 8:10 EDT in New York City on the graveyard of the old Pennsylvania Station. Two teams will come out of their respective corners and, if I am correct, the first to land a punch on the scoreboard will win the game and ultimately the series!

13. CH Marshall says:

Methinks Vigneault losing to Boston in the finals did a number on him, and he’s never gotten over it. Probably why he’s having his players do this dirty stuff, and he’s resorting to cheap tricks with the media

14. WindsorHab-10 says:

Never thought I would hate a team more than Boston but so far the Rangers are making it much easier, from Vigneault’s whining about the Refs to the coaches waltzing in during a Habs practice, I mean what the hell are those guys thinking? I’m willing to bet that Stepan will be in the game tomorrow & I hope the events of the last couple of days just gives our team that extra motivation to demolish those turds from Manhattan.

15. 24AW says:

Just keep putting pucks in the net it solves all problems. Habs beat the best team in the league, I have my doubts if they can do it twice but I keep hoping for them.

16. habs001 says:

It would be nice if the Habs win game 4 but if they lose all is not lost…The odds are pretty good that the Habs have to win game 5 in Montreal to win the series and obviously they would have to win game 7..so they need to win one out of the 2 games in New York…If they lose 3 times at home to the Rangers they dont deserve to win the series…

• MontrealAtheist says:

If they lose game 4 then hopefully they will put a similar performance in game 5 as they did in game 6 of the Boston series … Facing elimination can bring out the best out of this team. Sadly, reaching the ECF is not enough motivation by itself apparently.

17. B says:

So as per Vigneault’s status reports, Stepan has already progressed from “out indefinitely” to “unlikely” for Sunday.

–Go Habs Go!–

18. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Knowlton Nash to most of Us Ol’der Dogs was a reassuring reflection how We saw Ourselves as Canadians during Our younger years

…this country has produced some damn fine journalists to make Us proud

…Knowlton was one of ‘em …R.I.P.

19. Habitant in Surrey says:

…My previously described perplexing insomnia concern is even more so out-done by number 762

…hypothetically … IF Tokarski leads Us to Stanley Cup número vienticinco

…will that lead hockeyinsideout.com to become an untenably hostile environment between Carey Price inamoratas and HIO ‘tokers’ ?

• Corporate says:

Even if Toker wins every game to the cup…. We must remember who brought us there. if it weren’t for Price and the season that he has had, we wold not even be close to talking playoffs, forget ECF.

20. Habitant in Surrey says:

…number 763 on the list of Things In This World That Keep Me From Sleeping At Night; …WHY ??? would any supposedly intelligent General Manager sign a player such as a Daniel Carcillo or Enrico Ciccone or Raffi Torres or Matt Cooke ???

…WHAT ???’s the point ? …is it worth the drama ?

…time-bombs waiting to explode ?

…do You win with such players, and in spite of such players ?

…or, am I missing something ?

21. sprague cleghorn says:

Here’s one from years ago…

Gordie Howe was being interviewed before the start of the playoffs about potential match-ups for the Red Wings. He commented on the Habs’ speed, The Leafs’ grit (this was the 60’s) and the Hawks’ power. Boston was too far out of it to merit comment.

“What about the Rangers?” asked the interviewer. Gordie thought about it and replied, “Pretty uniforms”.

… ‘ow could we forget that?

22. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

By this time tomorrow,
    I’ll add wrinkles to my face.
    By this time tomorrow,
    I’ll only have a taste.

23. UKRAINIANhab says:

No chance in HELL if you have surgery you could play.

I am in this field of work and It is absolutely impossible… Either he did not have surgery or it is not broken. I call huge BS. If you break your jaw, you would be in agonizing pain just from moving it. You guys probably don’t need a doc to be telling you this to realize this is garbage. Did you see the way he was yapping after!

• Timo says:

It doesn’t matter what you think or say, Yaro. All that matter is what Dr. Recchi has to say… and so far Dr. Recchi has kept silent. Something is going on.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

O i am fully aware, I have been waiting for the verdict from Recchi for a while now. I wonder if Stepan went to the movies last night :)

24. Butterface says:

Vinyo blaming the ref for Carsilly ? Carsilly is all about going after the refs physically.

Matt Read on Carsilly April 22, 2014… No suspension. The puck no where near either player… So how is Prust suspend-able. Legal hit .2 of a second late. Not sure whether Read got a penalty…. don’t think he did. The NHL is kowtowing to the Ranger’s manipulation of the media.

Now watch Carsilly, same game go after refs…. 1 minute 40 second mark: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du1kAqe80Nw

Vinyo defending this Carsilly POS ? Vinyo is a POS.

This Ranger team is a POS.

Stepan will play after his “operation.”

Rangers are a joke.

***********************
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
    ***********************

25. Darksyde says:

Wow, Larry Brooks. Just wow.

What Therrien said wasn’t a threat. Just pointing out that they know he (Brassard) is hurt and where he’s hurting because word travels. Oh no! If Brassard plays, they’ll play to that weakness. Not to would be bad coaching. Bad knee? Beat him with speed. Bad back/shoulders? Force him to play hard in the corners. It doesn’t mean, “We’re gonna take him out and hurt him.” Get a life, and stop trying to stir poop where none exists.

• Butterface says:

LOL !! Maybe they should write about the Price Olympic knee injury being targeted.

When is the last time I read a New York paper to get any intellectual insight into hockey ? Oh yeah, never.

This series is like a toilet there is so much $%^t swirling around.
      And it all comes from the Rangers.

Carsilly deserves what he got – not his first time.
      Stepan is perfectly fine to play… still run his mouth.
      Brasshole has a sore shoulder…. big deal. We’ll hurt it more.
      Crytear’s time is coming.
      Lumpkissed should be nervous we will run him every time we skate over the blue line.
      Vinyo should write another angry letter to Bettman demanding Therrien be suspended for pointing out sore areas on his players.

All while the Rangers troll the Canadiens practises.

Bite me NY.

***********************
      If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
      ***********************

• Bozo McBozo says:

I agree that Larry Brooks’ piece was a bit much given what happened to Price. But to condemn all the guys covering hockey in NYC, that’s a bit much and really suggests that you know jack-all about journalism in my town. Stu Hackel of the NY Times knows the game and is one of the best in the business. Moreover, I played pickup with him for several years and he always wore a white Habs jersey. As for me, I played on a line in high school in the South Bronx along side a guy who would go on to be a multi-year Hobey Baker finalist. I just decided to slum it as an run-of-the-mill economist.

• CH Marshall says:

I always found Larry Brooks’ provocation of Torts suspect. Granted, it doesn’t take much to get Torts fired up…

• Bozo McBozo says:

They had some issues, but given what has happened over the past season, Torts is probably done as an NHL coach.

26. C-Sword says:

I love the Kings, a team built for the playoffs and full of clutch players, Stanley Cup winners and gold medalists. They can pretty much beat any team in the league.

27. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On ® says:

The biggest thing that either Chicago or LA would have going for them in the final would be experience at that level. There’s a lot to be said for “been there, done that”.

28. UKRAINIANhab says:

Glad we did not trade the general for these Kings 4th liners though…

Not overly impressed with either Chicago or LA to be honest…

29. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On ® says:

Goddam those Kings uniforms are ugly.

30. Frank2468 says:

MB should open up the bell center on game 5 game day to the public and let in 21000 people to watch the Rangers practice and lets see just how emotional AV gets? I’d like to take that cigar of Sathers and shove it you know where on him. And then say to him like Jim Carey in the Mask “Smokin!!!!”

31. C-Sword says:

That kid Toffoli is on fire, he’s the Hawks killer

32. Bozo McBozo says:

I think my friend is thinking that taking me to Game 3 with the “lucky ticket” in my wallet was a mistake!

33. PK says:

The 2010 habs version looked like they were out of gas by the time they met the Philthy Phlyers.
    I do think that some of our players have nagging injuries but they
    likely have another gear and at least play a tighter defensive game.
    Rags have also gone through two seven game series prior to this … they may not have any more gears than what they have offered so far.
    I have a slight worry that Toker could unravel, given his lack of experience at this level. However, there are several Habs players that can still play better … Subban, Vanek etc.

>>>>> Les Canadiens sont là

34. Mattyleg says:

In other news,
    I’m watching the LA-Chi game, and they both look pretty good, but I have to explode this myth that Western teams are SOOOO much better than Eastern ones.

The talking-head ding-dongs who spew this kind of absolutist bunkum are the same ones who brought you such certainties as “The Bruins are built for the Stanley Cup Finals” and “The St. Louis Blues are Stanley Cup Contenders.”

In this game I’m watching now, there is a ton of attacking, and not a lot of solid defending. It’s basically the mirror-image of our series. I can understand how people who get excited by fast movement would say that these teams are better than the Habs or the Rags, but the truth is that in this Age Of Parity, it’s anyone’s playoffs, and the team that works hardest wins.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• PK says:

That is exactly why the Habs should (and will) push hard against the Rags. The Cup is up for grabs once you hit the SCF.
      I think the Habs can do better against LA but neither of these Western teams should take the Cup for granted.

>>>>> Les Canadiens sont là

• CJ says:

I watch the Kings and I can’t help but revisit prospective trade conversations from three months ago…. Toffoli and Pearson. These guys are great.

35. Mattyleg says:

So it looks like Subban said exactly what I’ve been saying since Game 2:

The Rangers are playing as well as they can, while we can play better.
    This series is ours if we can get to the level we were at against Boston.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• CJ says:

Absolutely agree.

It’s like boxing. They gave us their best punches, and we are standing. We haven’t hit them with are best punch yet. If we do, we will put them on the ropes. Our best is better than theirs. Plain and simple.

This is a very winnable series.

• JUST ME says:

Our top guns Max,D.D.,P.K. will take charge. Many players had a difficult game on thursday (? been so long) i do expect the Habs to rise their level at least one notch. Actually a 7 – 2 score would settle the score but let`s just aim for a W and we will be fine.

• CJ says:

PK was not himself. He hasn’t been all series. If he gets going, and pulls along one of Vanek, Gionta or Pleks, we will storm back with the violence and furry not seen this postseason. We just have to start firing on all cylinders. Thus far, we’ve been down a piston.

36. Bozo McBozo says:

Could you imagine if The Toker can take Game 4 at MSG tomorrow night and Price was good to go in Game 5? The Rags might as well take a 1-0 forfeit! What a script!!!

37. Bozo McBozo says:

Maybe the Rangers and their fans should have thought about the potential consequences of running Carey Price? After that, the following seems like such a limp response to the Habs’ retribution.

• CJ says:

This isn’t Montreal circa 2009. This team will fight back. It’s only going to get tougher. The Rangers don’t like it, therefore I’d press the issue even further.

This is the Stanley Cup playoffs, not Novice C. St. Louis could be next. Maybe McDonaugh. Nobody is going to get a break. I’d say the intensity has been ratcheted up. Anybody remember Max’s hit on McDonaugh, in Montreal, two years ago? I’d like to see it again. And maybe a second time for good measure.

• Bozo McBozo says:

Have to keep pounding the Rags. Do I think they will go “stupid” the way the Bs would? No, they don’t have the nuts. I take some comfort in the fact that a lot of the guys, including PK, have yet to show NY their best. God help the Rags if it’s coming!

• CJ says:

If Montreal can start playing the way they are capable of playing, we will walk away with this series.

I agree though, nobody in New York is capable of pushing back. Dorsett gets pounded by almost anybody, maybe Frankie being the exception. I’d keep pounding on them. Further, put the puck at Hank’s feet or at his head shoulder area. This is war.

• Bozo McBozo says:

I like your idea of throwing junk at Hank’s feet (and going hard to the net). The ‘canes did that the Marty B a few POs ago and eliminated the Devils.

• Butterface says:

That article is garbage.

I agree with the premise that the NHL can’t figure out suspension rules, but where he goes with it is a complete skew to Rangers.

But then he posts on Blueshirtbulletin….. I wipe my @#$% with that.

***********************
      If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
      ***********************

• Bozo McBozo says:

Man, you had to hear all the moaning and groaning on NYC sports radio Friday afternoon. That’s no way for men, women or children to act!

• Danno says:

Hard to believe, but the Rangers are out-whining the Bruins.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

38. CJ says:

I love it! It took a total of 12 seconds to mention the Leafs – Drew MacIntyre and the Marlies. Unreal!

• Bozo McBozo says:

The only Marlies worth a damn are those you can smoke – gosh that might mean all of them – but alas I gave up that habit decades ago.

39. WVHabsfan says:

Agreed 100 percent, CJ!!

40. CJ says:

Good evening folks.

I just wanted to share a quick disclaimer;

I’m sure many here think I’m crazy. I often beat a point to death, call attention to the same issue over and over, or squeeze every once out of a particular topic. My logic is quite simple….. we may not have a better chance then right now.

Humbly, I think we are going to be better in 1-3 years. I really do. That said, our conference rivals will also be better. Maybe not the traditional powers, but we will have competition and there is no guarantee the chips will fall into place the way they have this year.

As such, even without Price, there is a major opportunity in front of us. We can beat New York. I’m not just saying that either. I know we can. We have not played a complete game this series. If we can pull together as a group, we can grab hold of this series and even things up. From there, it’s ours to win.

Not trying to look too far ahead, but we would hold home ice over the Kings should we reach the finals.

So, in summary, this is why I’m so outspoken. Unlike some others, I’m not satisfied beating Boston. I loved it, trust me I did, but there is more available to us. Humbly, I think those that are simply satisfied with a series victory over the Bruins will look back in August and regard this as having been a major opportunity. The door is shut, but this team can kick it down. Let’s not look back and wonder what if. Three wins get us into the finals. The Rangers are not the better team, nor are they more deserving. We are the Montreal freaking Canadiens. Starting tomorrow night, and for the first time this series, I hope the boys start playing like it.

Respectfully, CJ

• Cape Breton says:

Amen!

• JUST ME says:

Great comment as usual CJ!

I too feel that the door is opened and trust the Habs to give it all they have to make it through. This season i have had no doubt about the effort so if it is meant to be i do not see a better chance..

I have to say though that i can hardly feel better than this faithfull night when we got rid of the Bucking Fruins. Of course i want more too but it has been a long long time since i felt that good about my team and since then it is not the same intensity. Just by thinking of that night i fall in a daze that feels so right ! This was my cup . I have witnessed 12 successfull stanley cup run and that victory over the Bucking Fruins was really really special.

Feels weird though to repeat that tomorrow is the biggest game of the year. Said that so many times this season and we are still here so it must be our lucky sentence i guess !

• PK says:

You are right, CJ :

Despite our progress over the last two years, we fans cannot count on the Habs being in the ECF next year or even beyond that.
      Good management, yes, but you never know how the team actually improves on the ice (and not just on paper).

The chance is now … take it to the Rags … The SCF is not a given year in year out …

I think the players know the gravity of the situation … both sides actually.
      Produces a lot of animosity on and off the ice.

>>>>> Les Canadiens sont là

41. PK says:

Apparently, Prust texted Stepan to wish him well.
    I may have missed this but do we know if Kreider sent a text message to CP31?

We don’t like the Bruins for a multitude of reasons …
    Must admit that these Rags are pretty weaselly.
    What is with half the coaching staff and Glen Sather showing up at
    a Habs practice?

May be they want to see how a team with character gets their act together before a game.

Habs in 6

>>>>> Les Canadiens sont là

42. Prop says:

Really? Slash doing the American national anthem? It’s been done by Hendrix, and let’s leave it at that…

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

43. on2ndthought says:

Things noticed:
    1. Rangers rarely attack puck carriers in neutral zone; they try to cut off passing lanes. Our skill guys (PK, DD, Chucky, Gally, Lars, Pleks, Briere, Weiss) should carry the puck straight up the ice and establish O-zone control.
    2. Gio is struggling. I’m not one to jump to ‘bench him'; but here I am. Sit him a game, put Moen (Bournival if Moen is in for Prust) in for some hard ice time, give the captain time to organize his thoughts. That would take real nerve from MT, and I don’t expect it; but I’d do it.

“a cannonading drive”

• CJ says:

I was actually beginning to think that only a few of us have noticed the struggles the Captain is facing. I’ve said it before, if not for the C sewn onto his chest, he’d be in the pressbox. What scares me is the number of folks who want him to be resigned for another three years….

Just my two cents…

• Bozo McBozo says:

If Al MacNeil can bench Henri Richard in the ’71 Final, MT can bench Gionta. I would just say he has an upper/lower body injury so as not to embarrass him. He’s just one piece of wood on this team though. Vanek and I dare say Plekanec have blown donuts too.

44. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On ® says:

Rangers’s Blueshirt Bulletin complaining that the Stepan injury has put them at a disadvantage at a crucial point in the series. Suck it up… our #1 goalie is out.

45. Danno says:

Is there a graphic of the Rangers Wheel of Excuses out yet?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

46. Butterface says:

We all know Stepan will play.

Rangers went from douchey to sleazy.

What a classless team.

Run goalies….
    Can’t take it when they get run….
    Spy….
    Pretend to be hurt….
    Play the media against the NHL to try to trump up minor penalties..

This Ranger team and management is pathetic.

***********************
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
    ***********************

• Bozo McBozo says:

He may play, but he won’t be 100%. He’ll either have painkillers in him after the surgery or be in a hell of a lot of pain. I am playing the worlds smallest violin for him as I type!

• Butterface says:

?? He played the rest of game 3, just fine. He will be 100%.

The suspension was because of .2 of a second… every .1 of a second you get a game I guess. The hit was clean otherwise.

The Rangers took out the best goalie in this series. And NOTHING.

NHL should be embarrassed. The Rangers should be ashamed they are whining over a player who will miss 1 shift in this series.

Rangers can go $%^$ themselves.

***********************
        If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
        ***********************

• Bozo McBozo says:

He played the rest of the game, but wasn’t much of a factor. He is gonna have to wear a full cage tomorrow night if he dresses and those things suck. Prust got the extra game because of a suspension a few season ago. I agree totally that the play on CP was bullshit. On the Rags whining, I grew up in NYC and if they lose this series, the moaning to date will seem like a drizzle.

47. Danno says:

If we win tomorrow…

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

48. Cape Breton says:

Sather with cigar in mouth and shoes up with a huge effin smile on his puking face late in Game 2 at Montreal. More than enough reason for Forum Ghosts to move to Centre Bell.
    GO HABS GO!

Any chance Price is progressing better than expected and has same type of miraculous healing powers as Stepan? Tokarski played great last game, but I am not sure he can repeat.

• HabsfanlostinTO says:

I’m worried about that too. The pressure of a repeat performance…like the artist with a hit song, or, the confidence boost will have a calming effect….let’s go with that!
      ________________________________________________
      I knew I was in a safe place in enemy territory when I walked into a Toronto bar and the bartender was wearing a Béliveau jersey

• Danno says:

He should get a transfusion from Max the Wolverine who has magical healing powers.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• Cape Breton says:

You ain’t sure that Habs have 24 Cups dude!

• on2ndthought says:

relax… trust in Dustin

“a cannonading drive”

• punkster says:

No, no…Timo has a point there.

I say it’s time for total mayhem and ALL OUT PANIC

No reason to hold back now folks…just let it all out…bring all those doubts to the surface and abandon all hope.

Release the Subbang!!!

• Le Jadester says:

Partial ACL tear ……I hear is may be a month ?
      I would speculate that Price is done-zies for the season, no ?

I’m pulling for the Toker to take us to the Finals!
      And after watching both game two and three…. I think the kid has it to get’er done

Stupid Rangers think they’re so smrt!

Habs, OLE !

• Kooch7800 says:

Toker is better than people are giving him credit for. I watched him play quite a bit this year in the AHL and he is a good goalie. He isn’t CP31 but the forwards and our D have to play much better for us to really take on the series.

50. zephyr says:

.02 secs. the suspension is a joke. what was stepan’s operation anyway? did he have to get his botox replaced?

51. ProHabs says:

I am currently reading Terry Ryan’s book. On paper, this guy should have been a great power forward for a decade for the Habs. 8th pick overall, could score in Junior and could drop the mitts as he had alot of PIM’s in Junior and the AHL.

However, most of the stories he tells in his book start and end with him drinking beer left right and center. Sounds like this guy was more interested in boozing it up and having a good time then training and getting in shape.

THe most surprising part of the book is that in his draft year, every team in the NHL except 4 interviewed him before the draft. Surprisingly, the Habs were 1 of the 4 teams that didn’t bother to interview him. You would think that if you are going to use an 8th overall pick on a guy, you would at least get to know him before the draft. Perhaps the Habs would have found out something about him in the interview and could have used that 8th pick overall on someone like Jerome Iginla.

• on2ndthought says:

pro sports are 99% mental; the other half is physical

“a cannonading drive”

• Saintpatrick33 says:

That was the pre-Timmins era drafting was a crap shoot back then plus I think they were going to draft Shane Doan but he went a pick before Ryan. Don’t think they had any real backup plan after Doan went to the Jets. Looking forward to reading Ryan’s book looks like a good one.

• ProHabs says:

He was drafted by the Savard – Demers team. One of the main scouts for the Habs went up to him before the draft, shook his hand and said hello thinking he was Shane Doan. Amazing that they drafted this guy and really had no idea who he was.

• Cape Breton says:

He was with the Newfie team at most recent AllanCup tourney but did not play much.

52. slapshot777 says:

The Rangers by doing all this crap are only giving the Habs players more reason to beat them and more of a concerted effort to make sure the Habs come out with a win.

I also heard someone say that Lindqvist is the leading player to win the Conn Smythe. Talk about putting your eggs all in one baskets and cocky to boot.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

• HabsfanlostinTO says:

Taking out Price to win Conn Smythe is a classic Tonya Harding move

________________________________________________

53. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

After seeing what happened to Eller last year, it seems evident that the severity of Stepan’s injury was exaggerated. If he does not play tomorrow, I will apologize but I am not planning on it happening. I looked up some of the symptoms of a broken jaw: bleeding from the mouth, difficulty opening the mouth wide, facial bruising and swelling, loose or damaged teeth, etc. I did not see any of these during the game. Stepan was not even concussed which he would have been if a clear break happened. Their so-called doctors actually missed it (must be huge LOL). Give me a @$%@ break. If Stepan plays, I hope someone in the media has the balls to ask Vi-know-it-all if they exaggerated the injury on purpose.

All these lineup changes and mind games and whatever other BS that’s going on in these series will be a completely moot point if Tokarski cannot repeat his performance from game #3 tomorrow (and 2 more times after)

Bouillon and Weaver… I can’t wait.

• King Doughty says:

You like clam chowder Krug Miller better? A gerbil and a player that makes Murray look fast and smart.
      Giddy up Kramer.

——————————————–
      I have no choice with the Kings but my heart is always with the Habs

• Bash says:

Ali G
      I have read your comments, skipped over your comments, completely disregarded your comments…
      but right now, with the Habs in the top four and playing without Price, having just won a crucial game three..
      It’s time for you to find something else to do, perhaps to yourself.

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

• Peter Young says:

When the Canadiens win the Stanley Cup (no negative “if” there), Timo will complain that they didn’t do it by a four-game sweep, that they let in too many goals and didn’t score enough along the way and furthermore that they didn’t win the President’s Trophy, which means they weren’t really the best team in the NHL–all of which will be true and thought of which will comfort him through the summer until the following season’s litany of negatives can begin.

I told you Stepan would be in the lineup. I truly hope someone nails him (faint hope) and sends him to hospital for real this time. With a real injury.

57. louie74 says:

Bring back Moen

58. louie74 says:

Lines should be
    Patches DD Vanek
    Gally Eller Chucky
    Gionta plek. Bourque
    Bournival briere. Weise

• Arnou Ruelle says:

Be careful in divulging information. NYR coaching brass might be ‘spying’ on HIO. Same way they are doing during with MT and Habs practice time at MSG.

• HabsfanlostinTO says:

the GM “seemingly more interested in his phone than what was happening on the ice.” likely because he was making a video
        ______________________________________________________________________

• kalevine says:

au contraire. I think we should divulge away. Hopefully they will take us seriously too :)

• CJ says:

Hey Louie.

For what it’s worth, I like your lineup.

Mind you, I only play an armchair GM and coach in the world of fantasy on line message groups.

Hope the boys get a win tomorrow night, regardless of who’s in the lineup or where they’re playing.

Cheers, CJ

• Peter Young says:

The beauty of this line-up is that it’s so obviously the right one. Its balance will give the Rangers no let-up.

59. HabsfanlostinTO says:

Carcillo practicing today and appealing suspension

60. slapshot777 says:

You know the Rangers are nervous when they will stoop so low as to break a gentlemens agreement of not spying on one another. Glenn Sather always struck me as a weasel anyway.

He thinks he is some kind if Super GM or something. The Habs win tomorrow night and they coming back home look out. The Rangers will be finished.

The Rangers are playing the dirty pool by first running Price then this hit by Prust on Stepan and if he really broke his jaw like they say he did, there would be no way he could yap at the Refs like he did and no way he comes back and runs at the Habs like he did.

This is all a ploy to get Prust out. Which the morons in the league obliged the Rangers and did just that. Now Stepan could be back in the series and the League is now defining late hits in tenths of a second.
    Prust says he was .02 of a second late on the hit all was clean but the League deemed late after .06 and Prust was at .02. That’s what I call fine tuning.

• New says:

I don’t think you can blame Sather for going to the practice. I mean, really, he isn’t even aware his cigar went out in 94. Imagine, if Montreal hadn’t taken pity and given him McDonough for someone they would have not had enough money to field a decent team and would likely have landed MacKinnon in the draft :-)

61. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

So for every check late 0.1 seconds you get a game.
    Frontier justice.
    (cough cough) b*ow me.

62. DipsyDoodler says:

“Rangers coach Alain Vigneault said it’s unlikely Derek Stepan, who suffered a broken jaw when he was checked by Brandon Prust in Game 3, will play on Sunday.”

OK you got Prust suspended, shut up now.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

• Clay says:

I liked the hit and all – especially how it woke up the Habs – but Prust got himself suspended, because the hit was definitely late. Clean, but late. If someone did that to a Hab we would all be screaming for blood. I for one have no problem with the suspension. I just hope the team as a whole decides to play better in game 4 and beyond.

__________________________
      ☞ “The deepest sin of the human mind is to believe things without evidence” ~ Aldous Huxley ☜

• slapshot777 says:

We are screaming about the hit on Price, not so much as even a penalty.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

63. C-Sword says:

They’re bringing Frankie back because of his puck deflecting skill.

64. JUST ME says:

Can`t get used to the delays in between games. Can`t get used to not having hockey on a saturday night .

But i know that time is on Habs side . Just read on la Presse that the Rangers broke an agreement between the two teams forbiding the opponent to be there while one team practices. Sather and Samuelson were apparently in the stands and that pissed off Therrien.

65. louie74 says:

A victory tomorrow and we go back to our barn all tied up at two. Momentum in our favor and a best of three with two at home

66. FlyAngler says:

Posted late on previous thread. Please feel free to recalibrate me….

Correct me if I am wrong, but the Habs certainly seemed to be more efficient at moving the puck out of their end with Weaver paired with Nate than with Weaver paired with Frankie. No question that Frankie is probably physically stronger and hits harder than Nate, but Nate has decent speed and what little speed Frankie had has long since disappeared. If Frankie plays, I will certainly wish him well, but quite frankly, I did not see anything in Nate’s game that justifies removing him from the lineup and I am reasonably confident that a week of rest is not going to somehow make Frankie a better pick than Nate.
    Sorry, but there is no way that Frankie makes that pass to Patches in game 6 against the Bruins. This also means that we are stuck with using either Gorges or Frankie on the second wave of the PP and Nate is already better than the two of them put together there. Oh well, maybe Frankie will crush somebody.

“Gardez la Foi! Keep the Faith!”

67. louie74 says:

Habs need to play better in front of toker
    Players like Gionta , Plek, Vanek, need to wake up and start playing smart hockey and start bring more productive

68. johnnylarue says:

It may have taken an entire season and 2 complete playoff rounds to convince me, but I now consider myself an unreserved fan of Danny Brière, where I was once one of his more vocal detractors.

The man has class to spare, and his ability to consistently deliver post-season points given very limited ice time is downright uncanny.

It would never happen, but in terms of leadership, smarts, and class, we could do a lot worse than Brière as interim Captain next year while we figure out who of PK, Patches, or ??? should be given the letter long-term.

• rogieshan says:

It’s remarkable how he has kept his cool despite all the hits from fans and media alike this season. Imagine if the team had signed Lecavalier instead. Not sure if Vinny would have brought the same class and leadership qualities to the table you speak of.

69. Psycho29 says:

Rod Francis‏ @InRodWeTrustMTL ·29 mins
    Dan O’Rourke and Dave Jackson partners again for #Habs #Rangers Game 4 on Sunday.

70. frank81 says:

P.K. is giving away tickets to game 5 if he gets 100,000 retweets.

71. CJ says:

Time to put the Rangers back in their place. I just read an article on cbssports.com identifying Henrik as the favorite for the Conn Smythe trophy. I hope we can build on our success last game and keep the King reeling.

72. sprague cleghorn says:

Ok, just this once.

… ‘ow could we forget that?

73. Arnou Ruelle says:

Why do I get the feeling that Vigneault is turning to be Claude Julien 2.0? He has got to stop whining about game 3!!

What’s next, embellishments??

BTW, I like what Gallagher said with the media. He wasn’t convinced at all that Stepan had a broken jaw. Dude was still yapping after the hit by Prust, it doesn’t make sense for their head coach to say “he had an operation” if he looks perfectly fine.

• New says:

Stephan is the new motivator. Look at Steph, broken jaw, never missed a shift, the new Bobby Baun…

It is all playoff mind games. And tell you the truth, the simpler the mind the better it works.

• HabsfanlostinTO says:

of course now Vigneault IS “in the mood to pick a fight”

74. Cal says:

C’mon, Sly. He has always posted this way, pointing out the Habs’ weaknesses. Don’t take offense; it’s just his style.