Rangers’ Stepan has broken jaw; Habs’ Prust suspended two games

Canadiens coach Michel Therrien gave his players the day off in New York Friday after Thursday night’s 3-2 overtime victory over the Rangers in Game 3 of the Eastern Conference final at Madison Square Garden. The Rangers lead the series 2-1.

Brandon Prust had a phone hearing with the NHL Department of Player Safety Friday afternoon for his hit on Derek Stepan during the first period of Game 3. No penalty was called on the late hit and Stepan left the game briefly before returning.

On Friday morning, the Rangers announced that Stepan suffered a broken jaw and just after 5 p.m. the NHL announced that Prust has been suspended for two games.

“What elevates this hit to merit supplemental discipline is its extreme lateness and the significant head contact that results from the way it is delivered,” the NHL said in a video ruling.

Rangers coach Alain Vigneault met with the media in New York Friday morning and revealed that Stepan had a broken jaw as a result of the hit from Prust.

“Step right now, at this time, is probably getting operated on,” Vigneault said. “He broke his jaw yesterday, so we’ll have an idea of the time frame tomorrow.”

The NHL also announced on Friday that Rangers forward Daniel Carcillo has been automatically suspended for 10 games after being assessed a game misconduct in Game 3 for making physical contact with linesman Scott Driscoll while being escorted to the penalty box.

Vigneault was asked about emotions heating up in the series.

“I think as games progress in series the competitive nature of players and coaches comes out,” the coach said. “Obviously, every game has their moments. Every game has their incidents where sometimes blood can boil on one side or the other.

“Yesterday there was an incident where Prust hit Stepan. That incident obviously – four referees missed the call. Stepan is injured. The same player (Prust) that called the hit on (Carey) Price ‘accidental but on purpose’ – late hit, everything that you want to get out of the game, that was his hit on Stepan.

“And what saddens me about that hit is if the call is made on the ice we’re on a five-minute power play and what happened to Dan Carcillo – and what Dan did is inexcusable and he’s going to pay a big price for it – but if the call is made on the ice, he’s not put in that position.”

You can listen to audio of Vigneault’s press conference by clicking here.

Therrien met with the media at the Canadiens’ New York hotel Friday afternoon and commented on Stepan’s broken jaw before the NHL had announced Prust’s suspension.

“If anybody knows what it’s like to lose a player, it’s us,” Therrien said. “We lost Carey Price in the first game of the series because of that hit by (Chris) Kreider and we felt frustrated at the time. We’re still frustrated to lose our  No. 1 goalie.”

Therrien added about Prust: “His intention was not to hurt him, and Kreider – even if he was going hard to the net – I think his intention was not to hurt Carey Price and, honestly, Brandon Prust was trying to finish his check.”

David Desharnais was one of three Canadiens players made available to the media Friday – along with Lars Eller and Tomas Plekanec – and was asked about Prust’s hit.

“With that hit (Prust) set the tone, and they’re not happy about it, but you set the tone for the game and it creates a rivalry right there,” Desharnais said.

Said Plekanec: “You don’t want to see guys getting hurt. It’s part of hockey, and with Price, the same thing happened to us. It’s unfortunate. You don’t want to see that, but it happens.”

Eller was asked how long it takes to create a rivalry with another team.

“That’s something we talked about before this series,” he said. “Naturally, maybe there is not that rivalry or that hatred for each other the same way that we have with Boston. You have to hate them, yeah, you have to hate them. It shouldn’t be hard to get motivation for the conference final, but it is a little different. There is no problem getting motivation now.”

You can listen to audio of Therrien’s Friday press conference by clicking here.

The Canadiens got some good news Friday when the NHL announced that Marc Bergevin is one of three finalists for the General Manager of the Year Award, along with Dean Lombardi of the Los Angeles Kings and Bob Murray of the Anaheim Ducks.

Game 4 is Sunday Night at Madison Square Garden (8 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690). The Canadiens will open the Bell Centre for fans to watch the game on the giant screens, selling tickets for $10. For more information, click here.

(Photo by Al Bello/Getty Images)

(Videos by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell)

NHL suspends Prust for two games, NHL.com

Habs, Rangers are really in a battle now, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

One victim apiece now in Rangers-Canadiens series, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Tokarski has given Habs hope, by Jack Todd for The Gazette

Bergevin a finalist for NHL’s GM award, by Pat Hickey

Playoff Notebook, Canadiens.com

Rangers’ Stepan out indefinitely with broken jaw, NHL.com

Galchenyuk breathes new life into Habs, by Pat Hickey

Rookie Tokarski saves the day for Canadiens, by Pat Hickey

Comeback OT victory was improbable, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Budding optimism drives Montreal’s resurgence, by Jack Todd for The Gazette

Rangers fans upbeat about team’s chances, by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell

Canadiens climb back into series, NHL.com

Blueshirts drop Game 3, newyorkrangers.com

Rangers march to Stanley Cup turns wobbly, New York Times

Prust’s hit on Stepan heats up series, New York Post

Kreider’s heroics not enough for Rangers, New York Daily News

Game changer, canadiens.com

Jacques Demers offers tip for pregame speech, Stu on Sports blog

Former Habs great Robinson gets promotion with Sharks, Stu on Sports blog

1,103 Comments

1. nshab says:

Chara said the Prust hit was just a hockey play. Hey he should know.

2. habsman88 says:

Yeah, the Rangers are a sneaky team. Stepan probably had a broken jaw before the incident and is now saying that the hit broke his jaw. It surely had no impact on how wide he was able to open his mouth when he was screaming at the refs!

Look at the hit again…he hit his chest area in an upward motion…that’s why his head flew back a bit but it was not a direct hit to the head. Therefore, the league shouldn’t even be reviewing it as a head it…It was a missed call on the ice…No suspension should be given…if one is given I wonder how many cigars Sather sent down the street to the NHL office?!

In other news, I noticed last night that when the Canadiens got physical and finished their checks (especially on the defenceman) it threw the Rangers off their game. I wonder why Therrien didn’t tell them in the first game (once the game was already out of reach) to just crunch their defencemen every time they touched the puck (a page out of Boston’s book). If Prust does get suspended, I would add Bournival in his place and then substitute Vanek (because clearly he is injured) for White. Bournival for his speed and White to just crush the Rangers every chance he gets…

My lines would be…

Gallagher – Desharnais – Paciorretti
    Gionta – Plekanec – Bournival
    Galchenyuk – Eller – Bourque
    Weisz – Briere – White

Markov – Emelin
    Subban – Bouillon
    Gorges – Weaver

Habsfan88

3. CJ says:

Can Prust not simply deploy the Kreider defence? It wasn’t my intention. I’m not a dirty player. I didn’t mean to hurt him. Of course, next time I’d try to score, er, hit him softer.

Sorry, but as Johnny said below (and with which I agree), I like that it’s now not always a Montreal player on the receiving end. No, I certainly don’t advocate hurting others, but if that’s the hit or play that was needed to change the outcome of the game, and perhaps the series, than so be it. I can’t stand them, and I hate the way they play, but Boston got their name on the Cup by not always being the nice guys. Same for Chicago (anybody doubt that the Seabrook hit on Backes didn’t change the outcome of that series, co incidently also 0-2 at the time of the hit)? What about the Kings? Guess what, they did it too.

You will have to excuse me, I simply want to win and, if we lose, I don’t want it to be to the Rangers. We are the better team. It’s just up to the guys in the room to prove it.

• johnnylarue says:

Cheers, CJ.

I don’t feel great about it, but at the end of the day the reality is that the game is currently played “a certain way”. And like it or not, the fact that we all watch NHL hockey games on a regular basis makes us complicit in the frequent ugliness that occurs, even if I suspect most Habs fans would rather see it taken out of the game altogether.

I’ve never been an eye-for-an-eye kinda guy, but I’m not going to be a hypocrite and deny that I’d rather see Prust take matters into his own hands than to watch my team collapse in defeat after being fouled just as egregiously at the very start of this series.

• CJ says:

Agreed. Very well said sir. On an aside, I do look forward to meeting you at the next Summit. IMO, you always acquit yourself well here.

Kindly, CJ

• Max says:

Word up! see my above post

• CJ says:

Just read it. I’m liking the cut of your jib sir!

No more Mr. Nice Guy. The Rangers don’t like contact. Let’s keep it going. If Moen or White replace Prust, they need to pick up where he left off. Either can handle Dorsett. Make them pay!

4. nshab says:

This Rangers team is juiced and I’ll bet my right arm on it. There is not one media type in this country that will write a real story. I willing to bet there is not one hockey story in this country, that get put out there with out Bettman’s office approval.

• Max says:

I was thinking the same thing.They skate 110% all game and never take a breath of air.Something’s up.

• New says:

It’s not what you test for it’s when you test for it and what the exception prescription says. Remember the Olympics when golden boy was found to exceed and plead that he always takes pseudoephedrine by prescription due to his allergies? Everybody went “Poor golden boy. How unfair.” No it isn’t. Every day he plays he takes a performance enhancing drug, it is condoned, and puts everyone else at a disadvantage.

But that is the way the world is today. One sided rationalizations for everything. We used to call that excuses. Not they call it reason.

5. Gerry H says:

Reading a lot of stuff from my HIO friends that sounds a lot like a certain Dr. Recchi.

High road, friends. We’re better than this.

• habs-fan-84 says:

Sad isn’t?

• johnnylarue says:

At times like these I’m reminded of the climactic scene in which Darth Vader urges Luke to, “Give in to your anger”.

Objectively speaking, I think Star Wars had a greater influence on my moral compass than Catholicism ever did! ;)

• FlyAngler says:

People’s moral compasses get injured when bad things happen- like having your all-world goaltender taken out and injured by an unrepentant, dirtbag miscreant. I personally do not like to see anyone get injured in general, but it certainly is refreshing when sometimes the bad things happen to the bad people and not the good people. I would not put Stepan in that category, but Kreider, Lucic, Chara, Marchand absolutely! They deserve whatever they get, and I for one will never feel an ounce of sympathy for any of them. I know the Kreider play was deemed accidental by many and maybe it was but all that you have to do is view the videos of his past hits on Upshall and Tyutin for instance and you get a good picture of what you are dealing with.

“Gardez la Foi! Keep the Faith!”

• HabsFanInTampa says:

I’m partial to The Sopranos for influencing my moral compass.

• Puck Bard says:

Agreed. If he’s injured, he’s injured. No need to start calling people liars.

6. Un Canadien errant says:

Matt Sekeres of TEAM 1040 thinks the Canucks’ hire of Jim Benning is a positive, if only because he has a scouting background, and the Canucks’ scouting has been abysmal over the years, as reflected by their drafting. In his opinion, Mike Gillis did good work in sewing up assets, getting them to give the team a hometown discount, but he never fixed the amateur scouting problems, despite his frank talk about change being necessary in that area when he took over.

There’s also lots of talk about the ‘Boston model’, whatever that means. One aspect is having four lines you can roll all game, all season long. Which of course the hosts agreed makes sense as a concept, but is difficult to achieve if you don’t have the depth, the talent.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• D Mex says:

Not sure if this means anything, but a Canucks rep was spotted this morning purchasing pitchforks and then to the bank for a few $5K money orders. Something about the boston model … ;-)

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

7. FlyAngler says:

Since the Prust and Carcillo incidents are being linked together by some, and both teams are already missing key players- Price, Brassard- I propose that we resolve these matters a la The Sopranos. Schedule a “Sit Down” between Bergevin, Therrien, Prust, Sather, Vigneault and Carcillo, review the incidents and then give Prust and Carcillo “a pass” a la Ralph Cifaretto. Easy fix and both sides benefit from the deal- what’s not to like?

“Gardez la Foi! Keep the Faith!”

• D Mex says:

I’m partial to the Godfather approach : go to the meeting, tell them what they want to hear, then take care of business.

If it comes to the part where Pachino takes over, we will need someone by the name of ‘ Michael ‘ or ‘ Mike ” to leave the country – my vote goes to en00B or, even better, omiT …

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

• BriPro says:

Leave the horse in the stable. Too messy for the ice.

8. nshab says:

Lets talk about the real untold story about the Rangers. DRUGS. DRUGS, DRUGS, AND MORE DRUGS. Funny how the Ranger are now the fasting team in the Universe. When Vigneault coached the Canucks they were a fast team. When he left, wow they became old and slow pretty fast. The jerk that took out Price was 169 pounds. Wow now he 232 and the fastest man on the planet. Like the USA swim team said about the Chinese team. Six months ago the life guards were pulling them out of the pool from drowning. Now they are the number one swim team in the world. Wow that’s some good coaching. Hey Vigneault that’s some good coaching.

• johnnylarue says:

If you’re insinuating that the Rangers use drugs and we don’t, well…

Glass houses, my friend.

• nshab says:

Simple way to solve this issue. Have the NHL apply real drug testing. Sorry my friend , no NHL team in the USA are clean, when it comes to winning the cup. Even with the Bruins juiced up , a more talented team beat them. Carl Lewis said test him, well he was right. He was right because he was juiced to but knew he would never be tested properly.

9. Hobie says:

Just to show I’m not biased…

On this slowed down version it looks as though Prust did catch the jaw.

I think so?

• adamkennelly says:

chest shoulder and then jaw. he was obviously targeting a defenseless player – he should be suspended and will be – prolly 3 games.

but lets be honest – which is worse – that hit or POS Kreider and his running of goalies…

• Mattyleg says:

No way he’s suspended 3 playoff games.
        Maybe during the season, but it’ll be one game if it’s any at all.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• adamkennelly says:

head was not principal point of contact but the hit was late and it was on a defenseless player – he will definitely be suspended – since its playoffs – may be 2 games.

• johnnylarue says:

Actually, I think you’re right. With judicious use of the pause button, you can see Stepan’s head snap back/sideways from the impact of Prust’s shoulder.

For my money, I’d still hesitate to call it “the principle point of contact” or whatever BS phrase those Player Safety dopes like to use, but nonetheless this is a textbook no-no of a hit and would definitely warrant a suspension if johnnylarue was in charge.

That said, I’ll admit it feels WAAAAAAY better to be on the giving end of a “hockey play” for a goddamned change!

• Gerry H says:

Wow. I said earlier that I thought the principal contact was shoulder to chest. Can’t say that anymore. I think Prust is likely to get 3-5 and, remembering my frustration at what happened to Eller last year, that’s probably not a bad thing.

10. Slackman says:

Bergevin in up for gm of the year along with the gms of the kings and ducks

11. Fansincebirth says:

hearing 10 games for Carcillo

12. shiram says:

SB Nation NHL ‏@SBNationNHL

Marc Bergevin, Dean Lombardi and Bob Murray are the finalists for NHL GM of the Year

Now that’s pretty awesome right there.

13. Chris says:

Sweet…just got a ticket to see the Memorial Cup final game where I hope Guelph will finish off a dream season in style. The only downside is that it is going to be tight getting back to Guelph in time for the Habs playoff game, but that 8 p.m. start time is going to come in pretty handy now.

• Lafleurguy says:

Knights outshot your team but weren’t close in compete level with any of the league champs.

• Chris says:

London played very strange in the tournament. I didn’t think they could beat Guelph, but they are not nearly as inept of a team as they showed in the Memorial Cup.

• Cal says:

Val D’Or is playing possum. ;)
          Still, would like to see them win it just so Bibeau bumps Bernier and the never-ending carrousel of goalies continues in Hogtown.

• BriPro says:

If Mantha isn’t kept in check, at over 2 PPG, I’d expect him to impact on the outcome.

• Chris says:

Mantha has been fantastic, but Val d’Or just doesn’t have the depth to beat Guelph unless the Storm have one of their patented (but thankfully rare) stinker games. I will be a bit surprised if Val d’Or beats Edmonton again tonight….Edmonton has more offensive depth than the Foreurs.

14. HabsKid says:

Just listened to Pierre McGuire. He thinks White should be in for Vanek. He said White would be more productive and hustle harder.

• Cal says:

That tears it. Vanek simply has to play.

• FlyAngler says:

That makes a lot of sense. White had 2 goals and 4 assists in 52 games during the regular season. His shooting percentage is a whopping 5.9 percent. Reports are that Vanek is playing hurt and while he isn’t playing great, he did assist on Briere’s goal last night and maybe is on the mend (hopefully). Putting someone in who can’t put the puck in the St. Lawrence River let alone the net is not what we need if we are going to beat Lundqvist. Pierre likes to hear himself talk…………………

“Gardez la Foi! Keep the Faith!”

• CJ says:

Don’t worry, he will say something completely different at 5:10 on TSN 690. He speaks to his audience.

15. plum says:

Imagine if the Rangers put in Raphael Diaz, then he scores a hat trick and nails Dale Weise

16. Hobie says:

Maybe Stepan broke his jaw when he charged and leveled Emelin?

• govenah says:

Does anyone have the video of the hit on Emelin by Stepan? I heard that Stepan hit the glass with his face.

Lock and Spring -that’s the the ticket!

• Hoegaarden says:

Very likely. I would certainly argue that he continued to play as if nothing happened.

• Fansincebirth says:

that would make a lot more sense than playing almost a full game with a broken jaw.

• monmick says:

If you watch the full video of the Prust hit, you will see Stepan opening and closing his mouth as he gets up and skates off the ice, suggesting that something is clearly bothering him in the jaw area…

EDIT: And I don’t mean when he is screaming at Prust…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

17. CHicoHab says:

Lucy the Ball Tapper

18. FlyAngler says:

On another note…… Lucy has apparently had surgery on her wrist, must have injured it while pounding her chest after that so impressive empty net goal……….

“Gardez la Foi! Keep the Faith!”

19. L Elle says:

Boo frikkin’ hoo.

Brassard and Stepan aren’t even worth 1/10 of a Carey Price.

Thank Goodness for the Toker. Hope if Kreider tries to pull another stunt like that and goes near him, he ends up breaking his own ankle or two.

This series has brought out the worst in me, I admit. ;)

20. PK says:

Boyle?
    Not Kreider?
    My Bad but regardless, not a classy move…

21. twilighthours says:

Stepan with a broken jaw that will require surgery.

If it’s a Prust for Stepan trade, I think we made out ok on that one.

• Hobie says:

Agreed. Although, I hope they at least look at it real close. I don’t see any replay where it shows Prust’s shoulder hitting Stephan’s jaw.

• Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On ® says:

Make him produce a doctor’s note. :)

X X X X X X X X X 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

• Hoegaarden says:

May be it happened when he hit the ice. What I find strange is that Stephan was yapping like crazy after he got back up.

• Fansincebirth says:

and managed to play the rest of the game, handed out plenty of hits etc. Strange timing of the announcement….

• CJ says:

Perhaps it’s the cynic in me, but I’m inclined to call foul. Admittedly I’ve never had a broken jaw, but I know guys who have. I’ve never seen someone conduct themselves following such an injury.

Additionally, if it was a head shot, where are the Rangers’ doctors? They not have x ray? If Montreal allow a player to continue following a supposed blind side head shot, tsn would be all over it for a month.

Seems convenient if you ask me. And no, I’m generally not a conspiracy theorist.

• twilighthours says:

When his face hits the ice.

22. FlyAngler says:

I just re-viewed the video of the Seabrook hit on Backus and the Player Safety Dept. decision. I think that the Seabrook hit was far more egregious than the Prust hit. As per the video, Seabrook was guilty of Charging and Interference AND he clearly launched himself upward in order to inflict more damage with the hit. He had no prior history of suspensions and got three games for that one. I think that given the differences in the hits but considering also Prust’s prior suspension, he probably gets 2 games for this one.

“Gardez la Foi! Keep the Faith!”

• CJ says:

Hi Fly.

Sorry I was unable to reply sooner.

Regarding the PP, there are lots of things I like. I like the perimeter play and puck movement. I like the Markov back door play and working Max on his off wing. I like PK and Markov shifting sides and forcing the Rangers to defend new shooting lanes. That’s the good news.

The bad, IMO, is the lack of creativity. This is parity due to personnel and partly the result of system. PK really should create more mismatches, and by extension, open opportunities for others the moment he grabs the puck behind our net. His skills should almost always lead to a clean zone entry – but seldom does. This, IMO, is an area where a player like Erik Karlsson is miles ahead. When you watch the Habs live, PK is in motion, but his teammates are idle.

PK either needs to enter the zone with speed and set up, or head man the puck. I don’t like his play between the blue lines on the PP. Sounds crazy right? I mean, who cares about what happens between the blue lines, but the fact is we spend far too much time trying to get set up. In doing so, we allow New York to set up and establish position. Look at the tying 2-2 goal last night. We lost the draw and could not get set up. We never once looked comfortable.

In summary, face offs and zone entries are two of the biggest underlying issues that have impacted our PP. Of course, the third issue is traffic and second chance scoring opportunities. Look to the game 1 OT winner against the Bruins. Got the o zone faceoff. Quick win, quick shot and a goal.

PK is a few notches below where he was against the Bruins. By extension, the team has struggled on the PP. As PK goes, so goes the team. This is why, IMO, the win last night was so big. We seldom win when, our best players, especially PK does not play well. Last night could turn this whole thing around…..

Cheers, CJ

23. PK says:

I watched the game highlights again this am.
    This was already posted, I think….
    Did you guys see that Kreider ape pulling an Avery on our goalie?
    … Taunting him face to face and doing his best imitation of a chimp….

• johnnylarue says:

I thought that was Bryan Boyle…

• Chris says:

Bit of both…Boyle was in Tokarski’s crease while a Habs defenceman was behind the net, so Tokarski came out and pushed Boyle out of the crease.

On a power play, Kreider was screening Tokarski and he was using his arms to block Tokarski’s sight lines. He was not, however, facing Tokarski. Still, I was suprised he didn’t get talked to by the official because it was pretty obvious what he was trying to do.

24. Lafleurguy says:

Gallagher is grouped alongside Marchand by the refs.
    “Deadliest Catch?” Haven’t seen so much cage since “Ghost Rider II.”

25. Kooch7800 says:

Kerry Fraser just put up an artilcle on the Carcillo incident. Most noteable sentence:

“This would be Daniel Carcillo’s second violation of physical abuse of an official and while that would not have been taken into account by the officials last night, Commissioner Gary Bettman should already have this case moved to his desk.”

26. Chris says:

My perfect Montreal Canadiens player will have:

1. the shot tipping ability of Thomas Vanek
    2. the shifty skating of David Desharnais
    3. the size and ancestry of Lars Eller (the latter is for those of you who think I hate all Canadian players)
    4. the crease presence of Brendan Gallagher
    5. the skating and slapshot of P.K. Subban
    6. the wrist-shot of Max Pacioretty
    7. the vision and passing touch of Andrei Markov
    8. the heart and shot-blocking ability of Mike Weaver
    9. the face-off skills of Patrice Bergeron (I couldn’t use any Habs centre, because they all suck at that particular skill)
    10. the poise of Carey Price

As soon as I figure out how to program those into the 3D printer that we just got in my department, I will get busy on producing the prototype. I shall name him “Douglas Murray”, so your job is to kidnap the real Douglas Murray so we can pull the switcheroo.

27. Hobie says:

The last couple days I’ve heard various ex players and analysts state that Habs fans can’t complain about Chris Kreider injuring Carey Price because Brendan Gallagher has the most goalie interference penalties in the league. Gallagher also ended Jhonas Enroth’s season in a similar fashion as Kreider on Price.

Give me a break! Gallagher was CLEARLY knocked off his feet and smashed into Enroth. He had no control over what he was doing. Yes he was driving hard to the net but the defenceman was mostly to blame.

On the Kreider play, Kredier was BARELY touched and I know damn well that he had it in the back of his mind to slam into Price from the drop of the puck if the situation arose. You can clearly see Kreider jump off his feet, purposely, and take a 2nd base slide into to Price. It’s so obvious!!!

I head another ex player say that Emelin used the old tap of the back of the skate blade to cause Kreider to go flying. That it TOTAL BS.

Back to Gallagher. most of his goalie interference penalties are for bumping the goalie in the blue paint and not smashing into them going top speed.

28. habs-fan-84 says:

I see a lot of Dr. Rechi’s here.

29. Un Canadien errant says:

What? TEAM 1040 says there’s talk out of Pittsburgh that Pierre McGuire is being considered for the GM position? I’m not sure how I feel about that. There’s a lot of talk about how much stronger the Western Conference is, I think that would only exacerbate the situation.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

30. CHicoHab says:

Stepan may not be faking. Doctors are reporting it’s broken. But if the replays are showing no hit to the jaw when did he break it?? By yelling and screaming at Prust??

31. Paz says:

Just watched the Rangers first goal again. Subban tried to shoot and wiffs on the shot.

As the Rangers are coming into the zone, take a look up the ice and watch Rene Bourque, how he is not even skating to get back into the play, not even trying to recover some position,

Bourque is Bourque right?

Well how about we slot White into that spot in the lineup, and let Bourque be Bourque from the press box for Sunday night’s game.

If you have ever played hockey, if you have ever played any team sport, ever, you will understand that Bourque’s lack of effort on that play speaks volumes about this player.

White will give us energy, heart, and fresh legs.

Get White in there and sit Bourque. Period.

• Un Canadien errant says:

René has definitely been losing focus. It’s nothing voluntary, he just has a hard time getting motivated it seems. When he gets on a roll and gets confident, we see the difference and wish he was like that all the time.

If it was my call, he’d have been out for the last couple of games and Michaël Bournival in.

• Strummer says:

Some guys don’t respond well to constant line shuffling.
        He played well when he was on a stable line with Eller and Gionta

____________________________________________________
        “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• Bun E. Laroque says:

Eller and Bourque is a good combo.

• Un Canadien errant says:

He did, but then he started tailing off. He’s not necessarily hurting us, he’s not dogging it, but he went back to third gear, whereas he was in fifth against the Lightning. I thought maybe the Bruins had him spooked, with the concussions he’s had, maybe he was skittish. I hoped that against the Rangers he’d settle down, but he’s not back to his prior playoff level.

• Paz says:

you guys make him sound like he needs a psychologist.

involuntary lack of motivation, reacting badly to line changes,

• Un Canadien errant says:

Some players need constant attention, cajoling. René is not like a Brendan Gallagher, a Brian Gionta, a Guy Carbonneau, a guy you dress every game and put him out there and he’ll perform. He’s not a set it and forget it type. That’s all I’m saying. I don’t dislike or disrespect him, and he’s not hurting us, he’s just fallen off the pace he set earlier on. Meanwhile, Michaël Bournival is sitting out, and that troubles me.

• Strummer says:

White has no offensive capability. We need to score goals.
      Bourque has points in 2 of the 3 games in this series playing less than 12 minutes a night- so his legs are OK in terms of “fresh”.

____________________________________________________
      “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• Cal says:

McGuire was on Vanek for not stopping Hagelin on that play, too.
      Bourque isn’t going to win a Selke any time soon, but he is still hitting and his line is getting chances.
      Wasn’t he the one that started the Brière goal late in the game?
      Yes, the same lackadaisical Bourque.
      He’s big. He hits hard. He chips in offensively. He plays.

• Chris says:

Subban’s skating last night was strange…I don’t think I’ve ever seen him lose so many footraces as he did in that game. When he doesn’t have his usual quickness, those cute moves he tries to use become much more dangerous for the Habs.

I felt Bourque was one of the better forecheckers on the night…he was getting in and trying to take the body. I do wish he would get better at keeping the puck in the zone…quite a few pucks went through him when the Rangers were trying to clear the zone.

• tophab says:

white is useless.

32. CHicoHab says:

Stepan has 3:30 appointment with Dr.Recchi. Hold all comments till then please.

My main thoughts are on pro scouting and that before Bergevin and Dudley how awful the Habs pro scouting has been since the Roy trade. Maybe even further back to the Chelios for Savard trade. The glaring example is there for all to see every McDonagh shift. Apart from the Rivet for Gorges and the pick that got Pacioretty and the acquisition of Kovalev the Habs have a history of getting taken to the cleaners or giving up way to much future for a non-existent present.

That glaring and obvious weakness, which had nothing to do with players not wanting to play here, looks to be put to rest. I still can’t get over how the Lightning must be wishing they had Tokarski in lieu of Bishop’s injury. Cedrick who? Needless to say The McDonagh for Gomez deal still hurts. The pain though is subsiding when I think of Tokarski, Weise, Weaver and Vanek (yes Vanek, so he’s been miserable during the play-offs but if he is actually injured and playing through it he gets a pass, he definitely helped the Habs make the play-offs).

So here we are. 7 wins away.

34. VintageFan says:

This deserves a hearing and the Kreider assault does not? Looks like Zombies still running the NHL

• zephyr says:

just what I was thinking. kreider’s was actually more dangerous & resulted in an injury that took a player out for the series. normally a player who loses his balance (no interference on the play) falls head first & not skates first at top speed into a goalie. even prust said it was deliberate.
      u chop a guys knees in the nfl & it’s a fine & suspension. chara’s hit on max should’ve warranted both as well.
      the nhl brass all wear mickey mouse ears.

35. Good Habits says:

I once broke my jaw.

When I saw Scarlett Johansson walk by.

36. DipsyDoodler says:

Check out Stepan’s post-game interview (at 3:40). Broken jaw? I don’t think so.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

• DipsyDoodler says:

And Lundqvist a bit later whining about lucky goals.

Hey, Henrik:

1. You were very weak on the Markov goal, and gave up two juicy rebounds on the other goals.

2. Both of your team’s goals were very lucky.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• johnnylarue says:

Alright, you conspiracists: so Stepan is faking a broken jaw just so he can take the rest of the series off, thereby depriving his team of their #2 centre?

I need a motivation here, folks…

37. Strummer says:

” A team spokesman said X-rays after the game were negative. But Stepan was in pain and saw a specialist Friday, when further tests detected the broken jaw.

Vigneault said he would know more about Stepan’s condition after the surgery.”

Makes you wonder what exactly is going on here…

____________________________________________________
    “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• D Mex says:

Maybe his wife / girlfriend straightened him out after the game.
      Wonder what Julien would have to say about this ~ LOL !

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

• Un Canadien errant says:

X-rays sometimes don’t show an injury, just from the angle it’s taken or other factors. A later X-Ray reveals the injury, because of a different angle for the shot, or blood seeping into the injury site making it show up more clearly, or other reasons.

This stuff happens in emergency rooms all the time, someone has a small crack in a bone, a hairline fracture, they’re in pain, they get checked out but nothing shows up on the X-ray. They’re told it’s just a sprain or bruise, to rest it and it will get better. A couple days later the patient returns because the pain isn’t going away, and now the fracture is detected on the X-ray.

• Kooch7800 says:

playoff mind games

38. Hobie says:

I am very happy Stepan has a broken jaw. They intentionally injured Price so the more Rangers that get hurt (hopefully nothing too serious) the better.

However, did Prust even hit his jaw? Did Prust break it? I dunno about that?

39. King Doughty says:

Stepanwolf has a broken jaw. Can they prove it was the Prust hit? How do ya know he didnt fall off the bar stool at 2 am? I had a look at the time sheets and Stepanwolf didnt miss a beat. He was even on for the overtime goal. Im wondering if some of the Giants or Jets were in the house and passed him some of them painkillers they love so much. They give them out like candy in the Nfl

40. Mattyleg says:

“Stepan has a broken jaw, and is going to require surgery”

NOW HOLD ON A MINUTE… those two clauses are NOT necessarily linked!!

It could well be “Stepan has a broken jaw. He is going to require plastic surgery on his butt to get his ex-girlfriend’s name removed or his wife is going to leave him.”

or

“Stepan has a broken jaw. He is going to require surgery this summer to have it wired shut permanently to prevent him from getting extra unsportsmanlike conduct penalties for yappin’.”

—Hope Springs Eternal—

41. WindsorHab-10 says:

TSN reporting that Stepan has a broken jaw & requires surgery.

42. DipsyDoodler says:

Just for a moment, to be a bit fair about all this, Brassard and Stepan were both knocked out by borderline-legal blindside hits. That’s their #2 and #3 centres right there.

Like losing Eller and DD for us let’s say.

They have a right to be a bit upset.

Or would if Kreider wasn’t a loose cannon.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

• Bun E. Laroque says:

Eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth. Thats fairness.

• Un Canadien errant says:

The Canadiens would be a better team and have greater success if these types of hits were penalized by the NHL. Big slow players benefit from this tolerance of late hits, the Bruins thrive on it. So yeah, for once it’s our guys dishing out the hits and the injuries, so that’s a relief, a nice change, but I’d be okay if this ‘finish your check’ garbage was taken out of the game.

43. Un Canadien errant says:

After losing two straight games in the warm confines of home, your 2014 Montréal Canadiens went against script and got one back from the New York Rangers on the road, winning in overtime 3-2. Alex Galchenyuk, freshly back from a knee injury layoff, went to the net and banked a rebound off his shin, uh, chin, from the stick of Tomas Plekanec, who had been somnolent offensively so far in this series.

I feel like I have to make amends to various actors and players, apologize, eat a healthy serving of crow. As a fan, I’m supposed to believe, and psyche up my team, from a distance, telepathically. I think it works through the noosphere somehow. Synchronicity. Yeah, that’s it.

First of all, I stopped believing in my team once Carey got injured. I threw in the towel possibly before it was even announced that he was gone from the series. It looked bad. Even if he kept playing, would he be 100%? I was protecting myself from the certain series loss, telling myself I didn’t care that much anyhow, eliminating the Bruins was all I really needed to keep me nourished emotionally. I was already looking forward to the summer moves, the draft.

I didn’t believe in Dustin Tokarski. Sorry young dude, but you look small in net. After years of seeing giants Ben Bishop and Pekka Rinne and Jakob Markstrom eclipsing any mesh behind them, it’s jarring to see wee Dustin crouched in there during play, and especially on slow-mo replays. I haven’t seen that much cage since “Deadliest Catch”.

Even when I tried to convince myself that he may have a corresponding advantage in terms of agility, quickness, I couldn’t get there. A Don Beaupré or Jocelyn Thibault needs to be miraculous, unerring, while a Robin Lehner just needs to be show up, and cover 95% of the goal area just by standing there.

I didn’t believe in the fight in the team anymore. I thought they’d surrender with Carey no longer in the ranks.

I didn’t believe that David Desharnais and Max Pacioretty could find another gear. David has been a giant, often the best forward on the ice for the Habs, darting all over and creating headaches for defencemen. He hasn’t backed down, hasn’t shied away from contact, he’s put up with the crosschecks and the slashes.

And Max, who often falls back on old habits, cruising where the opposition isn’t, looking for open space so as to get his shot off, has added another layer to his game. I didn’t think he could, or would, but he has started to fight through the tangles, to win puck battles along the boards. He’s adapted, finished a few checks instead of skating by after the puck, investing for later on, putting the idea in opposing players that they’ll get thumped later on.

Michel Therrien I thought had gone to the well once too often. He’s taken some bold decisions since he took over, in terms of goalie starts, healthy scratches, line combos, but I thought this Hail Mary, of going to his AHL goalie, was verging on histrionics. Unseemly. Just put your veteran in there and lose with honour, I thought. Keep your composure. Don’t Leask Manoeuvre yourself.

But the Head Coach has been clear that this wasn’t just a hunch he played, but rather a group decision with the coaches and management team reviewing both of his goalies’ track records and recent performances. It wasn’t just betting on youth, trying to capture another Steve Penney or Jaro Halak bit of lightning in a bottle.

So I watched last night’s game as a formality, an obligation for a true fan, but not expecting a win. I might have even hoped for a quick, merciful end, a sweep, so I could get on with my summer. And I expected the dam to break, when the Rangers were pelting the Habs goalie with rubber, that the inevitable would come.

The Carl Hagelin goal, a cheapie bounce/bunt after a last-ditch effort from Josh Gorges, but precipitated by the Rangers’ team, was to be the first of many, I thought.

The Habs stayed in it though. The saves accumulated, and they absorbed the blows, and scored a beautiful team goal to tie it up. Alexei Emelin rubs out a Ranger behind his goal, passes the puck up to David Desharnais, who takes a hit to push the puck up to Max and Brendan who streak up the ice. Max takes it up the left wing in the offensive zone while Brendan goes to the net. Max finds Andrei Markov on the right side with a great pass, and Andrei one-times it past Henrik Lundqvist.

There was talk on both sides of lucky or bad bounces. Let’s agree that both teams got lucky on their second goals, but they weren’t fluky, they happened because they were taking the play to the other guys. And the same goes for the overtime goal. Lucky bounce, sure. I hope Alex doesn’t have too big of a bruise on his face this morning, for the sake of his teenybopper fans. But it happened because of a fundamentally sound play, with a veteran taking a good shot on net, not really thinking it will get through, but hoping for a rebound or deflection.

Some heat, some controversy in the game too. Brandon Prust put a late-ish hit on Derek Stepan, and though he hit the body the Rangers head snapped forward, so there was contact to the head as a result. Mr. Stepan laid on the ice for a long stretch, and it looked bad, but then he jumped up and revived miraculously. Maybe it’s the fact that there wasn’t a penalty called, but suddenly he was sharp, agitated, shouting threats.

I wish players didn’t feel they had to act injured to get a call. You can’t pick apart which are real and which are drama. I was leaning to the latter, but now we get word that Derek Stepan has a broken jaw. So, yeah, sorry about that.

Colin Campbell, you ridiculous, inept fool, take care of this. First, assure players that they’ll get the call, when they’re restrained, hooked, hit from behind, they don’t have to fall or feign injury. Tell your refs to make the calls, never mind Don Cherry. Whether a player falls to the ice shouldn’t be the determining factor on whether a player was fouled.

Then, announce that embellishing is cheating, it’s not gamesmanship, and it won’t be tolerated, winked at as a strategy, a means to an end. It’s a fundamental attack on the game, like PED’s. It calls the honesty and fairness of the game in question. That anyone deemed to have exaggerated their reaction, based on subsequent video review, will be suspended. You will be caught.

The diving, the over-reacting, the Bruins-ing, it would disappear overnight if these simple steps were taken. Fans wouldn’t be so polarized, crying foul when their own player was the victim, but calling opponents fakers.

Hockey needs to address this, so that it doesn’t fall into disrepute, like soccer is with the average North American fan. That sport is harmed by the perception that players are overly dramatic, fall at the merest contact, and roll around on the turf clutching their knee when there’s nothing wrong with them.

Another noteworthy event was the ejection of Dan Carcillo for abuse of an official. While Brandon Prust was fighting Derek Dorsett, who was trying to avenge Derek Stepan, Dan Carcillo was restrained by a linesman. For whatever reason, the Ranger pushed/crosschecked/punched the official a couple times at least. This is a great opportunity for the sport to rid itself of that clown for a long, long time. I say suspend him three or four seasons.

So the Canadiens have assured themselves of another game at the New Forum, and get a little bit of momentum, a little bit of confidence. Maybe they planted a seed of doubt in the opponents. And my prediction that we’d win in four still looks precarious, but now I won’t give up hope.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

44. johnnylarue says:

Proof that hockey fandom makes me a bad person:

My gut reaction to the news of Stepan’s broken jaw was, “YESSSS!!!”

Listen, I really don’t get off on the rough stuff like some people do, but even I am forced to admit that Prust pretty much single-handedly turned this series around for the Habs last night.

“You can’t start a fire without a spark,” as the song goes.

45. FlyAngler says:

Obviously, we must be talking about a hairline fracture. If it was a really bad break, given that it is New York, there would be pictures on the net of him slurping soup and puree through a straw by now because his jaw was wired shut. He didn’t seem to have any difficulty in the post game media interviews. I smell a rat, a big rat……..

“Gardez la Foi! Keep the Faith!”

46. HabsWin-nipeg says:

“Tokarski & Clutch” – Lions in Winter

Beauty

47. joeybarrie says:

Astonishing the inconsistency of this so called department of player safety.
    Honestly if Prust gets suspended, which I completely expect, I lose all faith in this ridiculous idea the league actually want to make this sport better and safer.
    Spearing on multiple players and teams. Running over multiple goalies on multiple teams, recklessly INTERFERING with them. Threatening a player in the handshake line, a time honored tradition the exists in no other sports. Spray water in the face of a player during the run of play, and laughing about it….. NO SUSPENSIONS. But a decent hit, not to the head, while interference and called as such on the ice…… We will see how this department does and if it knows its a** from its elbow.

• BriPro says:

Department of Player safety: Daddy Campbell.

• johnnylarue says:

Rhetorical question: how do you break a guy’s jaw without somehow making contact with his head?

• joeybarrie says:

How does a soccer ball cause a concussion simply falling down from a lofty kick?
        Opening your mouth when you head it and crack your teeth together.
        that’s why players wear mouth guards.
        Did his head jaw hit the ice? Did he have his mouth open to catch wind?
        I saw the replay both times. No contact with the head.

48. Cal says:

Prust delivered a little tit for tat. Habs have had players going down every playoff year without any messages being sent back.
    Know what? I think the Ragtags got the message.
    This sucks for hockey, yes, but this is the league the Habs have to deal with. A “safety committee” run by former goons? And you expect something different?

Kreider deliberately skated hard into Price. Whether he intended to injure is moot. The skate first slide was reckless. Karma.

• BriPro says:

Did you notice how he also skated over Toker? He tried to make it look accidental.
      I hope someone goes accidental on him.

• joeybarrie says:

when your skate gets taken out from under you from the side and front….. Watch the replay, you go down head first and skates behind you. When you use that to push you forward no longer trying to score with your stick but hoping to slide in the the goalie and maybe the puck sliding in and counting, you go skates first….
      astonishing how going in skates first isn’t considered dangerous.
      if you are supposed to be responsible for your stick and not allow high sticking…. How can you not be responsible for the razor sharp skate blades going full speed and force into a player???

• Bun E. Laroque says:

There was more intent from Kreider on Price than there was from Prust on Stepan.

50. JUST ME says:

We owe the «W» to Prust. He made things happen and slowed down the Rangers that were now looking for shadows on the ice.

The Rangers have to be slowed down,stopped,forechecked to prevent them from taking speed and using their skills. Guys like Richards and Nash do not appreciate being the target of a close opponent. When they feel threathened they get rid of the puck.

If Prust gets a suspension then we should replace him with another guy that can do the same job like Whitey.

51. BriPro says:

OK. Now stop with the broken jaw analogies.
    This is serious business…. Poor guy.
    Ah, to hell with it. It doesn’t make up for Carey, so good going Prust!

52. shiram says:

Rangers’ Stepan out indefinitely with broken jaw

from nhl.com

Habs Price out indefintely with bad knee/leg.

from Habinburlington.com

• shiram says:

Well it just is weird to me they had him playing with a broken jaw and no protection.
        And the yelling he was doing must have hurt quite a bit.
        And playing and hitting after that.
        Weird stuff.

• Strummer says:

I hope, I pray – THAT HE HAS A BLENDER!!!!!
      ____________________________________________________
      “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

53. Slackman says:

Post of the day dipsy! Wish I could try to not but phone won’t let me…

And yeah Stepan went down a Do wwas seemingly hurt until no penalty was called. Then he sprung up and started chirping like a baby bird.

54. habcertain says:

How can a guy have a broken jaw, return to the game play without a cage, and continue to bang guys? Maybe just a loose tooth

55. shiram says:

On relaxed rules in the playoffs..

People are always so happy and agree that rules should be relaxed in the playoffs. All it does is confuse the players, they don’t know where the limits are set, and so they go out and test them. And with every pair of referees the limits are different…

All fans complain about the refs, since there’s no consistency.
    And it leads to player injuries and escalation of aggression.

• Good Habits says:

Agreed. Like Vanek doesn’t know which way he should skate on a turnover.

I really hope he’s hurt or he’s got some ‘splaining to do.

56. Max says:

Stepan is a mommy’s boy.He needs to toughen up.

57. Prop says:

His jaw was probably broken when Stepan’s head hit the ice.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

58. Mattyleg says:

So Stepan has a broken jaw.
    I wonder if he really does, or if they’re just saying that before Prust’s hearing…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

If he was that much hurt, why was he allowed to come back where he immediately started throwing hits? Are you telling me he broke his jaw and did not have a concussion? How do we know his condition was not exacerbated by his continual play? Something smells…

• BriPro says:

Wow you guys…..this is all-out war.

Yup!

:D

• D Mex says:

Last time I checked, there were one or two marketing firms in NYC.
          I hope the Rangers are not into that business line …

ALWAYS Habs –
          D Mex

• D Mex says:

Bubble-boy on deck – what a great look.
      I remember John Ferguson taking Bobby Hull to task when the Hawks visited the old Montreal Forum decades ago – Hull went this-a-way while his football helmet went that-a-way. Lotsa’ fun !

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

• DipsyDoodler says:

Did you see him yelling at the ref as he left the ice? With a broken jaw no less?

I bet it’s just a dentist’s appointment he made a couple of weeks ago when it looked like the Rangers were going to be eliminated by the Pens.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

59. mrhabby says:

The bashing of the media to me is funny..sensitive posters or what. I have heard many a broadcaster during the 1st and 2nd series praise the Habs and particularly during the Bruins games. Is this selective hearing just saying..

60. Rad says:

Prust pretty much made the statement that he was not going to allow his team to lose Game 3. He was our leader and most valuable player last night. He set the tone with the hit on Stepan, and then cleaned Dorsett’s clock in the ensuing fight. He drew a penalty from Carcillo, as well as incited Carcillo to most likely get suspended. Brandon threw 5 big hits in 13:14 of ice time. Great game from a heart and soul player.

• D Mex says:

Heart & soul player for sure.
      Whatever has been ailing him (ribs ? shoulder ?) sure do hope he is able to heal & recover in the off-season ahead which, BTW, is still a ways off.

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

As I mentioned before, if Prust gets suspended then it might be time to reunite Bournival with Pleks and Gionta. Galchenyuk can play with Eller and Bourque. Or maybe Galchenyuk/Eller/Vanek with Bourque playing LW on the Briere line.

Two scoring lines with PP time, a shutdown line and a decent 4th line that can play 12 minutes.

24.6 Cups

62. Psycho29 says:

Oh-oh…

Andie Bennett‏ @AndieCBC ·6s
    Stepan suffered broken jaw on the Prust hit and is getting operated on today.

63. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

Habs really really really ned to seperate pleks and Gio. These guys play dont score enough 5×5 goals. PLeks is a great DEFENSIVE center give him Gally and Chucky, they did score 5×5 when the played together. YOu can plug Vanek or Weisse as Tony mentioned earlier. But please seperate Gio and PLeks , they should only be used on PK or final minute of play. Go Habs!

peace

Vanek-DD-Patch
    CHUCKY-PLEKS-GALLY

• myron.selby says:

Hi Ben – you really need to proof read these articles before posting. This one has quite a number of errors:

– 36 saves for Tokarski (35)

– “after Carl Hagelin fired a shot that was stopped at first by the glove of Josh Gorges. However the puck lobbied in the air for a moment and then dropped behind Gorges and into the net”
      (what does lobbied in the air mean? plus St Louis took the shot and Hagelin batted it in after Gorges gloved the St Louis shot away)

– “It wasn’t until Andrei Markov struck early off a pass by Max Pacioretty, who found Markov pinching in the slot”
      (maybe they moved the slot over to the faceoff dot without telling me)

Sorry to be picky, but it just doesn’t look too professional when this type of stuff is posted on your site (which otherwise is great.)

64. Psycho29 says:

Prust hit: It was a hockey play….no worse than running a goalie, or spearing someone in the private benjamins twice.
    Give him a fine and that’s it.

It was funny when that hit happened, a Ranger’s fan blasted Shanahan on Twitter, “F-n Shanahan will screw the Rangers again, won’t suspend Prust”, and called Shanny all kinds of names I can’t print here.

Later on the guy tweeted:

Steve Smith@Steve_Smith24 · 13h

Woulda done it sooner but responding to too many people so I’m sorry brendan shanahan. Didn’t know you left that job. Good luck w/ the Leafs

Shanny replied later on:

Brendan Shanahan@brendanshanahan · 13h
    @Steve_Smith24 No hard feelings Steve. Just a passionate fan folks. Let’s move on.

On a complete other topic, Jurgen Klinsmann left Landon Donovan off the U.S. 23 Man roster for the upcoming World Cup, and Jurgen’s kid decided to help the matter by mocking Donovan on twitter. Gotta believe Pops isn’t to happy with son right now.

66. Bun E. Laroque says:

Prust’s hit was late but there was no intent. He shouldn’t be suspended. Definitely like to see Bournival back in there. I miss his speed and forechecking. Vanek is clearly hurting, maybe he needs a game to recuperate a bit.

• BriPro says:

They interviewed Kerry Fraser regarding the hit. Although he acknowledged that the delay was less than one second (.8, which is the rule’s water mark), it was still a “melicious interference call which he would have given a five minute on.
      And by extension, the rule states that a 5-minute for that infraction results in an automatic misconduct.

I don’t care. Prust showed his former allies…..”you mess with us (Price’s injury), and you pay the price”.

It rattled them, and the Rangers don’t seem the type to be easily rattled. Good for him!

67. Habfan10912 says:

A day off in NY? I hope the players can find a decent place to eat. :)

Well deserved day off boys. Come back Saturday ready to work. Much left to do.

• BriPro says:

Shake shack burgers in Time Square. Awesome!

68. BriPro says:

Now that I’ve gotten the positive out of the way, I have to mention that I’m seething.
    I won’t review last night’s game, because it has and will continue to be re-hashed, except to jump on the Tokarski band wagon.

Why are you seething, Bri? Glad you asked….

Bob Mackenzie is a regular on TSN 690 in the mornings. And of all the Toronto-based panelists, he was the one I thought was the most rational. The others’ blatant disrespect for our Habs has not only been obvious, but frustrating as well. The yahoos over at CBC also.

This morning he was commenting on Gallagher taking an “irresponsible penalty out of frustration from a (ready for this?) …..CLEAN HIT by MacDonough”

That was a two-handed hatchet job on Gallagher’s arm.

Can someone tell me what colour tint they put in sunglasses sold in Toronto? Or is the water spiked?

Someone on here, yesterday, was commenting on the various English TV media, covering the game, and called most of them idiots, including Mackenzie.

I thought “that’s a little harsh”. Not so much any more.

– John Stewart on Marchand, the RAT

This morning on TSN highlights of the Prust fight, they commented on the Shots Prust received…… While Prust didn’t destroy the Dorsett, he landed more shots, especially early. It is the Toronto way Brian. I get it every day here, and it annoys the heck out of them when I continue to smile and laugh at them.

• Hobie says:

It appears to me, I could be wrong, but on CBC this playoffs, during the Habs games, has there not been 3x the amount of features before the games and in between periods on Lightening, Bruins and Rangers players?

Can we not see a story on Bournival, Galchenyuk or Prust?

I could be wrong, maybe I’m just going to grab a beer or a snack at the wrong times?

• BriPro says:

I think I’d kill somebody. I envy your patience and stamina, Gerry.

• Strummer says:

I think you guys are over-reacting and cherry-pick comments to suit the argument that TSN hates the Habs.
        TSN That’s Hockey tonight with Kouleas and Button plus panel guys McClennan, Oneil, Ward rave about the Habs.
        TSN 1050 Mike Richards in the Morning have been big Habs boosters..

Mackenzie is not an analyst per se. He’s an “insider ” like Dreger and their hockey acumen is not impressive.
        Don’t take them so seriously.

____________________________________________________
        “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• Habfan10912 says:

Hiya Bri. Gallagher received Zero breaks from the officials. Been going on for 2 seasons now.

• WindsorHab-10 says:

How arrogant are Toronto media & fans? Extremely.

My boss is a Laffs fan, as I was leaving work yesterday he yelled out ” A Habs loss tonight will be Priceless”. Thanks for your support butthole.

• D Mex says:

It’s all about context.
        In TSN, err … TO, losing in the playoffs has warped into winning, I mean, it’s considered better than losing in the regular season, and as close as the Loafs get to meaningful achievement.
        So, in butthole’s mind, he probably thought he was wishing you luck ~ or something :?:

ALWAYS Habs –
        D Mex

• Bun E. Laroque says:

To my ears, there is little reporting on the Habs on CBC or the other sports networks that is free of bias. There is a reluctance to give Montreal any credit. The focus is always on what Montreal does wrong.
      Jealous much?

• D Mex says:

For the most part, I think this is correct.
        PJ Stock and Glen Healy are prime examples, and let’s not forget Don “don’t-poke-the bear ” Cherry and his Sidekick puppet.

ALWAYS Habs –
        D Mex

• Habilis says:

I watch every game on RDS but I tend to re-watch games (mostly only the victories) on CBC, just to see what everyone on twitter and here was talking about.

I know that RDS is basically a homer network but there is just such a contrast in the way the announcers call the game. Houde gives you the huge “ET LE BUUUUUUUT” when we score. Hughson barely raises his voice when he says “scores”. Not to mention that you can actually hear the joy in Glen Healy’s voice whenever we’re losing.

I honestly don’t know anyone (who has the option) chooses CBC. I would rather watch NBCSN at this point.

69. ZimHabwe says:

Unfortunately for the Rangers, Prust sitting out is not a loss to us. We still have fire power in Bournival.

While Bournival may be a “better” talent on the ice, Prust in games like last night brings an element no one else on this team brings. He is fearless, has the heart of a lion and is inspiring to his teammates. The Rangers know all to well how important he is to a room as they lost a lot when he left.

He is not replaced by Bournival, White could be somewhat a replacement but the role that Prust excels at, no one else on our roster has that.

• SPATS says:

And they hate him now which is an intangible that nobody else on our roster can bring. Not PK, not Gally… Prust chose his moment and target carefully and turned the series with that sequence of events. They hate us for it, where we don’t hate them for what Kreider did to Price.

Advantage HABS

• WindsorHab-10 says:

+ Moen + White.

70. WindsorHab-10 says:

The league owes us. I’ll be shocked if Prust gets anything.

71. D Mex says:

Already reported on HI/O that Prust has been fined $2820 (?)

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

• Cal says:

Not “reporting”, D, just speculating that what Prust did warrants the same fine as what Thornton did with his water bottle via PK.

• D Mex says:

Ahh, I mis-read your post, so : still a chance shoulder to chest will = spear to package OR water park play in the fine column.

So many possibilities – kinda like trade deadline day all over again :!:

ALWAYS Habs –
        D Mex

72. BriPro says:

On Wednesday, I posted first on one of the threads. Can’t remember which. But I mentioned that it was a good omen.
    Result? They won last night. So Sunday, here we come…

• D Mex says:

Wouldn’t wanna’ mess with that ! [-:

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

Oh I guess I could have read this before I typed my response below.

Atta boy Bri, you are sky rocketing up the charts for MVP Poster here!

• BriPro says:

I guess our win has you getting ahead of yourself.

• JohnBellyful says:

Bri, you’re the one, the poster child of posthaste posters.

• BriPro says:

You can add that on the wreath.

73. BriPro says:

Oh yeah!

– John Stewart on Marchand, the RAT

Good Omen? Didn’t we say that before Game 3? If so, You Da Man!

• BriPro says:

Oh yeah! Does that mean I get a loge seat at MSG?

74. JUST ME says:

Wow registered tomorrow the 24 th MTL time ! So you do not exist and probably shouldn`t !