Habs’ Prust out for rest of regular season; Galchenyuk moves to centre

The Canadiens practised Friday morning in Brossard before heading to Toronto to face the Maple Leafs Saturday night (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

And there was some bad news as the team announced that forward Brandon Prust will miss the remainder of the regular season with an upper-body injury. The regular season ends for the Canadiens on April 12.

In 52 games this season, Prust has 6-7-13 totals with 121 penalty minutes and was minus-1.

Coach Michel Therrien told reporters after practice that the club’s medical team decided it would be best if Prust didn’t play for the rest of the regular season, giving him a chance to heal and be 100 per cent for the playoffs.

Alex Galchenyuk was moved to centre during the practice with Brian Gionta and Rene Bourque, who has missed five games as a healthy scratch. Lars Eller was dropped to the fourth line with Travis Moen and Dale Weise.

Therrien said he wanted to see a lot of intensity from Bourque when he gets back in the lineup.

“Will it be tomorrow? Will it be the next game? I don’t know yet,” Therrien said.

Galchenyuk is looking forward to getting a shot at centre.

“I want to establish myself as a great centreman in this league,” the 20-year-old said. “I’m still really young, but I’ve still got a long way to go. I want to make a step in the right direction. And I’m really looking forward to tomorrow’s game.”

Therrien cautioned against banking on all the adjustments he made to the lines at Friday’s practice.

As for Saturday’s game in Toronto, Therrien said: “It’s a big game every time we play the Leafs. Those are emotional games. And we’re getting to that crunch. Both teams are fighting to make the playoffs. There are a lot of teams in our situation and so tomorrow won’t be any different.  I’m expecting a tight- checking game, a demanding game to play. They’re fun games to be part of.”

Here’s how the lines and defence pairings looked at Friday’s practice:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Vanek
Brière-Plekanec-Gallagher
Bourque-Galchenyuk-Gionta
Moen-Eller-Weise
White-Parros

Bouillon-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Murray-Weaver
Tinordi

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

Habs vs. Leafs preview, NHL.com

Prust could return for playoffs, by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell

Vanek deal looking good for Habs, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Eller slips to fourth line, Hickey on Hockey Notebook

Alex in the middle, Canadiens.com

Post-practice interviews (video), Canadiens.com

Hard-working Blue Jackets hang loss on Canadiens, by Pat Hickey

Tinordi’s slip was the difference, by Pat Hickey

RDS’s Marc Denis played 266 games with Blue Jackets, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Habs vs. Blue Jackets photo gallery, montrealgazette.com

Get to know Thomas Vanek (video), Canadiens.com

Bernier, Bolland participate in full Leafs practice, Toronto Star

Leafs need to forget Reimer-gate, Toronto Sun

Leafs trying to regroup, montrealgazette.com

A preview of ‘Strombo’ on Hockey Night in Canada? Stu on Sports blog

Ovechkin could finish season with NHL’s worst plus/minus, Stu on Sports blog

(Videos by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell)

1. WindsorHab-10 says:

Therrien talking about how big & emotional tonight’s game will be against the Leafs, we’ll see how well prepared the team is being on HNIC. I don’t get the Tinordi benching, yes he screwed up on the game winner for Colombus but so did others. With all due respect to Bouillion/Weaver, I think one of them should be scratched. Pressure on Bourque to show up & do something.

We should win this one if we play our game, plain & simple.

2. Mattyleg says:

Morning everyone!

Heard last night on TSN 690, during the Friday Scrum, a very good point about Tinordi:

Murray was scratched for making a costly mistake in the past, PK was benched for making a costly mistake, and therefore the precedent has been set. Tinordi has to sit.

I’m sure he knew it was coming, and I would guess that he’ll be back in for the next game.

Like the forwards (less so now that Prust is injured), there is lots of competition for places, so it means that everyone has to be on top of their game all the time.

This is a pretty good situation, as it creates a simulation for the playoffs, where those kinds of mistakes could be the difference between continuing or being knocked out.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Hobie Hansen says:

Therrien has shown that he benches or scratches players to send a message. Is he calling them out in the media and telling everyone they’re terrible? Absolutely not! It’s a modivational tool that works more often than not IMO.

Regarding Bourque, I’m guessing this is the longest he’s been a healthy scratch is his career? I bet you he comes out pretty darn hungry and gets a bunch of chances. Hopefully they translate into goals.

When Gorges is healthy, I really hope they start the playoffs with Subban, Emelin, Markov, Gorges, Tinordi and Murray making up the defence. I think a bottom pairing of Murray and Tinordi is the best we could put out there.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

I like Tinordi but him playing his offside with Murray would be a horrible 3rd pair because they can´t move the damn puck.

• scamorza says:

Benched earlier in the season and responded well unfortunately only for a short duration .interesting hearing him say that in order to stay in the lineup he has to score said he will go less into the corners and more to the front of the net ….we shall see

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• Ian Cobb says:

Good point Matty.!
      Consistency and fairness, in being disciplined by the coach is what players want. As per Patrick Roy’s interview about Mario Trembly.

• habstrinifan says:

I liked that interview Ian. I can only go by what I see and hear from the players as reported thru the media, but I like how Patrick has become a ‘players’ coach’ (respected by his players) not because he is easy but because he is demanding but inspiring and fair.

• Old Bald Bird says:

Well, I suppose that if that’s a history, then MT has to follow through. One question is if it’s a good practice. The other is, is it really applied evenly? Perhaps it is just applied when a bad mistake leads to a bad result because there are a ton of mistakes each and every game. Is this what most coach’s do: Babcock, Roy, Quenneville, or is this the special CH treatment? Just asking.

• frontenac1 says:

Hola Matty! I think that TSN theory breaks down when you consider some of the bone head plays by Markov, Cube and Emmy.

3. third generation haber says:

MT, u ph%$@#$ idiot!

Toronto is a dirty team. Without Prust in our lineup they will most definitely be operating with a “let’s run these smurfs through the boards” game plan.

Dress Parros! I know he’s not a good hockey player, but if Orr is in the line-up, the leafs will be looking to hurt us. Plus, Orr is even worse, so they cancel each other out.

Bordeleau took a few huge runs at our guys and nearly connected because he knew there was zero retribution coming.

Play Parros, or somebody will get hurt on Saturday. Better to be safe than sorry.

j.p. murray

• Mattyleg says:

Murray will do just fine.
      Parros isn’t the answer for anything anymore.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Ian Cobb says:

Let them try and catch us, we can out skate them and fore check them. If we play for 60 mins.

Let them take all the penalties!!

• third generation haber says:

love your optimism, but they are sitting in a wild-card spot and lost a few 1 goal games. They will be out for blood on Saturday.

j.p. murray

• Hobie Hansen says:

I love a good hockey fight and I hate seeing our Habs physically intimated. Two things though, Colton Orr hasn’t played in weeks and George Parros is absolutely terrible.

Randy Caryle is a coach who loves physical hockey and loves to try an intimidate other teams with guys like Orr and Frazer McLaren. Right now the the Leaf’s are in a dogfight to makes the playoffs so it a would be stupid move to try and goon it up at this point. Caryle will also see that Parros ins’t playing and in return not dress Orr.

If the score gets out of hand maybe there’s a problem. Again, I’m not sure if Orr is even healthy right now either and McLaren has only played 27 games this year cuz he sucks and might have been hurt as well.

• wjc says:

Third Generation haber, Something to consider. A well known ploy is to have a dangerous power play, so that penalties hurt the opposition.

Now that Vanek is in the lineup, covering the power play just became much more difficult. Instead of keying on Markov and Subban, they now have to worry about the player down low….Vanek.

Now if you intimidate with speed and draw penalties, your special teams, can do some damage.

It also depends who the Leafs put in their lineup and if they go with tough guys, they are ‘duck soup’ because, if you do what Gallagher and Subban do and laugh and skate away, things will work out dandy.

wjc

• Just a Habs Fan says:

TO has changed over the past year….they do have dirty players as do every team but they aren’t as mean as they once were only last year. They are capable of beating any team on a given night with their scoring prowess equally capable of giving up goals but hopefully the Habs will be ready for the onslaught tonight and tun the tables…..should be a great game…..

• boing007 says:

Youppi!

Richard R

• Loop_Garoo says:

Every time they try that crap the lose. The habs need to ditch the stupid (and deeply childish) staged fights and play the game. If they out skate the leafs they win, if they try to lose and look like morons in the process. Cannot believe that in 2014 we still think it is ok to send out players to do nothing but fight.

Look how close it is for us to not make the play offs!!!

Mtl is in 4th place after 71 games with 83 points.
    Philly in 5th place after 69 games with 81 points. 4 points in hand.
    Toronto 6th place after 71 games with 80 points.
    Ranger 7th place after 71 games with 80 points.
    Columb 8th place after 70 games with 78 points. 2 points in hand.

Detroit 9th place after 69 games with 77points. 4 points in hand.

We had better win tonight without giving any loser points.

• Exactly! There is no lock especially if we keep-up with the up and down, 20 minutes a game play.

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

• third generation haber says:

Ian, I don’t believe we’ll fall out of the playoffs. If we fell a few spots our draft pick would improve a little and our likelihood of winning the cup would remain the same; non-existent.

Especially since we have no second round pick this year, I hope we score big in the first round this year.

j.p. murray

• wjc says:

A lot of teams have to win, a lot of games and if they play each other then that is not possible to win all the games.

Montreal just has to play 500 to maintain the advantage. Not as cut an dry as it looks.

How come being tied after regulation is called a loser point if they get scored on in overtime.

wjc

5. CJ says:

Good morning friends! Woke up earlier this morning to the usual….another snowstorm in the Capital. The day will be perfect however if the boys can beat the Leafs tonight, ideally during regulation. Question remains, will this game be the tonic Montreal needs to steady the ship, or will a date with the Habs set the Leafs straight?

I am looking forward to seeing Chucky at centre tonight and hope
    Bourque and Gionta come to play. Not sure how Briere lands on the second line following his play against Columbus. Good news on the horizon though, Bournival’s conditioning stint with the Bulldogs ends after the game tonight, so he is on his way back and has earned a place on the roster. Hopefully it puts some guys on the hot seat tonight.

It’s not that I don’t like Eller, but what did White do last game to deserve the bump? I prefer him in the lineup against the leafs. Maybe Eller channels some of the magic Briere found while cantering the fourth line, so I’ll defer further comment and keep an open mind going into the game this evening.

Lastly, I hate that Tinordi takes a seat because of an ill advised play. Fact is, Emelin was on for more breakaways, turn overs and defensive zone breakdowns than anyone else on the roster, yet he was bailed out by Price. Tiny didn’t get bailed out, so he’s the easy target. I have no issue with Murray playing, in fact I think it’s the right move having him in the lineup, but are expectations, or maybe more appropriately, standards that much higher for our rookies than our veterans? Bouillion and Emelin can make as many mistakes as they have over the past two weeks, yet continue to play. Same with Briere, who has been utterly invisible for long stretches this season. Bournival, Beaulieu, Tinordi are all playing with a different set of rules. Fair enough.

Alright, enough from the comfort of the recliner. Go Habs! Let’s get a big two points tonight boys. Have a great day everyone. For those in the Capital area, stay safe if you are out and about. Cheers, CJ

• wjc says:

I think it was time to give Murray some ice time. Tinordi is a rookie and this is a big game.

They lost so they shuffle things a bit, no biggie.

wjc

• habstrinifan says:

Dont see anything wrong with dressing Murray. But the “this is a big game” reasoning?

• Mattyleg says:

Rookies are more likely to freeze up under the pressure/stress of playing in a big game. Vets, less so.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• CJ says:

I agree. That is conventional wisdom.

Funny though, if you recall the last time the Habs played in Toronto, by the end of the game Beaulieu was playing with PK and was our second best defenceman. He had an assist and was plus one. Emelin and Frankie were terrible, both responsible for missed coverages leading to goals against.

It’s not just hockey, look at the Seahawks. Almost no experience and among the youngest teams in football, yet they dominated in the biggest games, including the Super Bowl. Young players are getting exposed to big games earlier and are producing.

• CJ says:

Fair point. I agree the shuffling was the silver lining up front. It took a few loses to recognize that Vanek wouldn’t work with Pleks and Gionta. I’d love to see Chucky have a big game tonight. We desperately need a 1A centre and he is our best chance down the road.

If this doesn’t play out, I wonder if the team might consider Eric Staal, who is rumoured to be available this off season?

• HabsPooch says:

I was at that game against the Leafs watching Beaulieu play. That was one of the things I took from that game watching Beaulieu almost take over the game with his skating and pushing the offence. I thought to myself “he has arrived”….I guess not? It still boggles my mind.

• CJ says:

Agreed. He and PK looked great together. Instead, we restrict PK by using him with a 38 player who is 5’8″ and a number 7.

• third generation haber says:

Why not play them both and crush anything that crosses our blue-line?

j.p. murray

• Hobie Hansen says:

Morning CJ. Looking out the window at the same crap as you are. Was going to drive down highway 7 to Peterborough from Ottawa to watch the game at a fiend’s place. It’s starting to look like that’s not going to happen. Terrible winter!

I did notice though that it looks like the end of the winter is finally nearing. Next weekend is supposed to be above zero and the following week is into double digits!

• CJ says:

Hope so Hobie. I’m itching to hit the driving range and get the golf game going. It’s been a long winter for sure. Big win tonight makes it worth while though. Safe travels if you end up heading west. Number 7 is a tough stretch so be careful my friend. Cheers, CJ

6. People, we’re still in danger of missing the playoffs. Any four game losing streak and we’ll be fighting for our lives. Tonight and Boston are very important and with our inconsistency, there are no gimmies. I, for one, am fed up with always waiting until the last week (or game) to find out if we make the post-season show. (last year not considered).

Play 60 minutes. Play like you want to win. Get a coach who knows what talent he has and can manage them to win (sorry, didn’t like MT to begin with, don’t like him now). Then I might be more hopeful.

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

• wjc says:

So you are saying, didn’t like Therien before, don’t like Therien now, and never will like Therien.

Try to be hopeful, try to look on the bright side.

If they lose you can hate Therien even more (if that is possible) and if they win, you can say they won in spite of him. It is a win/win for you. If they win the next 5 in a row and then lose, you can say, see told you he would ‘screw’ it up.

wjc

7. mjames says:

Living in CT I get to relive the Gomez trade every so often. It is like the gift that keeps on giving.

Trades likes these are the reasons why we continue to be a fringe team. You can’t recover from these mistakes. This is on par with the Roy trade.

mjames

8. Captain aHab says:

Gonna have a bit of a conniption on the Bozon situation:

Maybe this has been mentioned before but what is this thing about having to set up a fund for medical expenses? Kid nearly died and the Habs aren’t helping the family out? It’s not like Habs prospects are near death every year.

Just a wee bit surprised I haven’t heard yet of the cheque Geoff Molson writes to the family.

Come on Habs: kid is a fighter. Lend a hand.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• Maksimir says:

hear hear!

• Curious… if Bozon is French/Swiss, how does his medical coverage get considered? As Canada has universal coverage, is he considered a foreigner paying full boat on his own, or does Canada cover medical expenses for those with working permits? Otherwise, yes, the habs brass should cover the expenses or at least a good chunk of them.

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

• wjc says:

Every hockey player has insurance covered by the teams.

wjc

• I figured, so why the need to raise funds for the kid? I’m guessing to pay for flights for the parents and post care support. Hope there aren’t any long lasting side affects. Scary virus…

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

• scamorza says:

Yup would think it would be for that reason especially considering their length of stay

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• oldandslo says:

Not too get too picky but N. Meningitis is bacterial not viral. I say this not to be a know-it-all but because there are vaccines available. Those of you with kids should strongly consider this option for your pre-teens.

• Ian Cobb says:

How do you know that there is no support? I am sure that there is communication!
      His medical is covered through the CHL.!

• habstrinifan says:

I AGREE!

• Mark C says:

I would recommend relaxing. Molson has been very extremely charitable in his time as owner. I’m sure he will help, if possible, or has already helped silently. Lastly, maybe Molson can’t do anything per the CBA as Bozon is signed.

9. JohnBellyful says:

There have been many memorable moments in the Montreal-Toronto rivalry over the years, some of which younger Hab fans on this site might not be aware of:

1960 – Montreal sweeps Toronto in the Stanley Cup final, outscoring the Leafs 15-5 and outshooting them 756 to 33. After letting in two goals in the series’ opener Canadien goaltender Jacques Plante begins wearing a mask to hide his shame.

1963 – Leaf rover Eddie Shack inadvertently skates within three feet of Canadien left winger John Ferguson following a stoppage in play, triggering a violent reaction by the Hab enforcer. The two men go nose-to-nose for five minutes with Ferguson emerging the clear winner. For several weeks after Shack, his proboscis now pointing due east, complains about hearing his nose drip and smelling ear wax.

1967 – The geriatric Leafs upset the Canadiens in the final in what would turn out to be the last hurrah for the once-proud franchise. Montreal coach Toe Blake, who, prior to the series, mocked the Toronto team for its abundance of veterans (“World War Two, not NHL”), later regretted his “senior citizens discount.”

1968 – Mired in last place in December in the Eastern Conference of the newly expanded league, Montreal turns its season around, finishes in first and loses only once in three playoff rounds to win its 15th Stanley Cup.
    Leafs? They didn’t make the playoffs. Okay, this one’s more revelry than rivalry if you’re a Canadiens fan.

1972 – Leaf president Harold Ballard is caught in the Canadiens’ dressing room going through the players’ pants, looking for wallets. Ballard suspends his lookout, King Clancy, who fell asleep outside the door, for two weeks.

1989 – The Leafs trade speedy Russ Courtnall to the Canadiens for tough guy John Kordic, foolishly ignoring accepted wisdom that you never trade for a goon if it means giving up a slightly built player who’s fast and has a wicked shot. Thugs are a dime a dozen; lightweight players with talent don’t grow on trees. (If they did would they be Leafs?)

2007 – The rivalry continues but the season unravels. Canadiens and Leafs both miss the playoffs – the same year fans begin singing the Ole song in Montreal – but it’s Toronto who denies Montreal a playoff berth by beating the Canadiens 6-5 in the last game of the regular season. Leaf fans equate the feat to a Stanley Cup victory; Hab fans blame Rejean Houle, who replaced Serge Savard as GM in 1995 and was canned in 2000. Scientists attribute the management change to the team’s extended Stanley Cup drought that now surpasses 20 years.

10. Psycho29 says:

Good Morning Y’all….

Interesting…and kinda scary…

From Twitter:
    Chris Chelios said Sean Avery lived with him during 2004-05 lockout, but had to kick him out after 3 weeks.

11. hitgurl says:

I can’t believe Bourque is playing again.

• Yup, MT is our coach and we’ll have to live with another late season swoon. Adding Bourque to the line-up. That was a dud trade but what else would we get mid-game for Cammy!

So a three game winning streak. We beat the Avs, lose to Columbus and then the Rangers handily beat Columbus. We’ve been a Jekyll & Hyde team all season and MT has to be responsible for most of that. There is talent on this team. it’s been very mis-managed.

The boosters on this site will state our record to date, but they forget that it can be attributed to our November/Dec. 10 game win streak. Since then, we’ve been .500 or worse, haven’t scored and have had lines juggled like a hot potato or a Lindsey Lohan contract.

As much as I’d love my Habs to do some damage in the playoffs, they are more off than on and need some consistency and MT is not the coach to lead us to the promised land.

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

• Mattyleg says:

Bourque will come back hungry and desperate to cement his spot in the lineup.

I’m looking forward to seeing him play.

(for the first time in a long time!)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• wjc says:

How come the Rangers are behind the Canadiens?

Now a ten game winning streak was at the wrong time of the year, that is funny…excuse me……ha ha ha ha ha.

As much as you love your habs and hate your Therien, you think the Canadiens with the right coach would be headed to the ‘promised land’ this year, excuse me….tee hee.

Toe Blake said it best in 1962, “I don’t have the best team anymore, so what do you want me to do, pull wins out of my tush”.

wjc

12. Commandant says:

After his two goal game I spoke to Bournival and coach Lefebvre on his comeback. http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/03/22/five-minutes-michael-bournival-sylvain-lefebvre/

13. rhino514 says:

Bournival with two goals last night.
    Habs have to make room for this kid somehow!

Pateryn again with a brilliant game, but evidently he is not in the team´s plans for this year.

14. rhino514 says:

Who here had forgotten what a difference Prust can make when healthy? I, for one, had.
    I think it´s abreat decision to rest him for the playoffs. I really like our team going into the playoffs this year, no matter how they finish.

Now that the dust has settled, I am very impressed with Bergevin. Injuries have hit us again in the playoff run, unfortunately. But with the addition of Vanek we are a deeper team, with more options, and without him, the losses of Prust and Gorges could be real tough on a team which, though decent without Vanek, has underachieved this season. Weise was a decent enough addition, and Weaver a good one, in that Tinordi has been impressive since playing on his good side.
    Sometimes you make all the right moves but still need some luck on your side. Briere and Gionta have not delivered as expected, but the biggest chunk of bad luck surrounds Eller. As much as I like him, his move to the fourth line is the correct one, given the options the team has. He´s just not the same player he was. I think we shouldn´t count on the kid this year and start afresh next year and see what went wrong.
    The Vanek move is brilliant in that it gives us depth to stick Galchenyuk at centre and hope from the best from Bourque on the wing (a healthy Prust or Bournival could also be a nice option come playoff time).
    Sometimes moves have to be evaluated not based on what was given up, but what would have happened if the move were not made. In the short run, the team was in trouble. The team was not inspiring confidence heading into the playoffs; they actually were in danger of missing the playoffs altogether. Now, if healthy, this team has the firepower to win a couple of rounds. They have shown during the season they can play with anyone when they are disciplined, and the Vanek addition just gives them one more big threat.
    sure, they are still vulnerable to teams like Philadelphia, and, as we saw, maybe Columbus, but we may not even see these teams in the playoffs.

• Habfan10912 says:

Agree. Prust was our best player Tuesday night and that includes “Hat Trick Vanek”!

• Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

Agree too but would have Eller on the 5th line. Sorry to all his boosters around here but your 4th absolutely MUST be good defensively. At minus 16, Eller just doesn’t make the grade.

• wjc says:

Shut your eyes and remember ‘Eller’ in the playoffs last year before the hit, he was the best on the ice next to Bourque, who was outstanding.

It is there, he has been shuffled around a bit. He seemed to be in a groove with Galchenuk and Gallagher, but Gallagher was moved and sadly the line did not rebound.

Eller is a big piece of the puzzle in my opinion and should find his game. He has all the tools, he has some size, just needs the right opportunity.

wjc

• Just a Habs Fan says:

ryhno514….I wish I were as certain as you that we will make the playoffs….looking at the standings we could end up on the outside. Wih games in hand there are a couple of threats there. We need to be at least .500 from here in to have a shot but maybe even .600…so 6 or 7 wins in the remaining 11. It’s not easy street in my opinion.

15. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning everyone. Not happy to see that Tinordi won’t suit up tonight. I apologize to all of you Therien admirers out there but I think its a rotten thing to do to a young defenseman trying to find his way into the NHL. Talk about a kick in the confidence.

Kid made a costly mistake and cost the team at least one point. I get it but Tinordi is no Ryan O’Byrne. He’s one of the cornerstones of what we all hope is a solid blue line for years to come.

It can’t be healthy to think every time you make a mistake your going to sit. People playing scared or intimidated rarely perform well.

As for Eller on the 4th? Why not. He might as well provide some grit. Maybe simplifying his game may help.

Bourque? Meh.

• JF says:

I really doubt that being scratched after a costly turnover will feel to Tinordi like a kick in the pants. He probably expected it. And as you yourself pointed out yesterday, playing him in the last few minutes of a tie game was a mark of confidence. He screwed up, so he sits. He’ll be back.

• Marc10 says:

Something tells me we’re going to need Murray against Toronto. He’s a character guy who makes all the other guys around him a foot taller… And he’ll make sure the Leafs who do venture into Carey’s kitchen leave with souvenir.

Just as long as he’s not on the ice at 5 on 5 with JVR and Kessel…

It could get quite ugly against Tarannah. Might as well have a veteran presence that can help settle things down… And reach out and thump someone.

Tiny is going to have a very long career in the Bigs. I don’t mind that we manage his apprenticeship. The guys in the room will understand. They probably want Murray with them for this tilt. I would… Take the warrior, spare the rookie.

• wjc says:

You have to play wise. This game is too important for rookie mistakes. This was a rookie mistake, he will be back. You do not sit for every mistake, just biggies.

The rest of the team realizes that playing smart is the way to stay in the lineup.

Tinordi will be fine. Sometimes you have to take a time out and reflect on decisions that are made and let it sink in.

Do not give up on Bourque, you will see!

wjc

16. Stevie.Ray says:

As of tonight there is…
    a 94% chance Montreal makes the playoffs,
    A 62% chance we finished third in the division,
    A 12% chance we finish second in the division,
    A 13% chance we finish 7th in the conference,
    A 72% chance we face Tampa in the first round,
    A 12% chance we face Pittsburgh in the first round,
    A 7% chance we face Boston in the first round,
    And a .07% chance we face Toronto in the first round.

So don’t get your hopes up.

Boston wins 11 in a row. Habs play Bouillon as top 2 defensemen.

18. Chris says:

OHL round-up:

London pounded Windsor 6-1 in the first game of their playoff series. McCarron picked up a goal and was +1, while Brady Vail picked up an assist and managed to stay even despite the scoreline. London is probably the team to beat in the West…that is the 4-5 series, but London would be a #1 seed in just about any other season.

Erie entered the playoffs as the hottest team, riding an 8 game winning streak. They struggled tonight but did get the job done against Saginaw, winning 4-3. Connor McDavid had a rough night, going pointless and was on the ice for 3 of the Spirit’s goals. Washington Capitals’ 1st rounder Andre Burakovsky scored 2 goals…Burakovsky is looking increasingly like he could be a good NHL’er, so the Capitals may have some help in the way if he can partner Kuznetsov to give the Capitals some badly needed secondary scoring behind Ovechkin and Backstrom.

I was at the Guelph game. Guelph was all over Plymouth in the first period, but then ran away in the second, ultimately winning 5-1. It might be a Pyrrhic victory, however, as star centre Robbie Fabbri took a pretty nasty head shot while off balance behind the Whalers’ net and had to leave the game. Poor Ryan Hartman…he’s a feisty little SOB, but he has nobody to play with on Plymouth. The Storm didn’t play all that well tonight, failing to score on two 5 minute major power plays, and still managed to hang 5 on the Whalers. Scott Kosmachuk and Brock McGinn were the most impressive Storm players tonight, while Jason Dickinson had some nice flashes. I’ve seen Kerby Rychel a few times now in the OHL and he kind of reminds me of Dany Heatley…he tends to be pretty invisible in games, but somehow ends up among the league leaders in points.

Before the injury, Fabbri showed off his excellent speed and had some nice plays, but he’s going to have to learn to protect himself better. The head shot that knocked him out the game was pretty much unavoidable, but he took two other cheap shots (a hit from behind and another head shot) that were the result of him not really playing to protect himself. As a smaller guy, he will only be able to survive in the NHL if he avoids getting hit so much.

• twilighthours says:

Very thorough!

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

Thanks for the updates! Saw Fabbri play for the Rebels a few times. Feisty little dynamo but thinking we don’t need anymore little guys so hopefully we pass…

Do the math……..7 x 6 = 42…Love our PK!
      24 cups and counting….

• Chris says:

I doubt Montreal drafts him, but I’m not too worried about the little guys issue. Gionta, Bouillon and Briere would be long gone before Fabbri played a game with the Habs. Plekanec could easily be gone by then. And of the Habs prospects, there aren’t too many with Fabbri’s scoring prowess: he potted 45 goals and 87 points as a 17 year old in the OHL.

That’s not quite Stamkos, Tavares or Kane level, but it is pretty impressive for his age. And I think he could be a poor man’s Patrick Kane for somebody.

• Marc10 says:

Cheers Chris. Awesome update.

19. CJ says:

Back from Gatineau, having watched the Reway show……

Tonight, without question, Reway was the best player on the ice. His vision and passing are NHL calibre. He created chances while short handed, at even strength and on the PP. He played wing, centre and defence. The kid is unbelievable….. And, he is small. To his credit, he is unafraid and engages physically, but he is tiny. As previously noted, he reminds me of Corey Locke (67’s).

I think about some of our prospects, Reway included, and am very pleased with the depth we are beginning to acquire. However, equally frustrating is the fact that we weren’t able to provide Timmins with another 2-3 picks this spring. We might yet make moves to add picks prior to the draft, so I don’t want to get too hung up on this point, but IMO, drafting has been one of, if not our, biggest organizational strengths.

Maybe I’m just riding a junior hockey emotional high, but I’d love to see a few draft day moves.

In closing, thank you to those who shared the Tim Bozon picture. Best story I’ve read all week. Fingers crossed that he enjoys a full recovery. Best wishes everyone, CJ

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Sick!

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

Thank you. Just wish Reway was a six footer at least but maybe he”ll put on a few pounds and play with Habs. Fingers crossed.

Do the math……..7 x 6 = 42…Love our PK!
      24 cups and counting….

• CJ says:

If Reway was four inches taller and 15 lbs heavier he would have been a top 10 pick in last year’s draft. His skill is well above that of his teammates. For example, in the games I’ve seen him this season, he has been better than Poirer, but he isn’t as big. Size still matters.

In any event, he is a terrific player. I hope he makes it someday.

• Phil C says:

You had me really excited until you said Corey Locke. Is this because you are familiar with Locke or do you think Reway will have trouble making the jump to the NHL like Locke did?

• CJ says:

Good morning Phil. I’m very familiar with Locke having watched him with the 67’s. He was a terrific junior hockey player, who had similar size. You never know how that skill translates into the NHL. Reway could end up as the next Corey Locke or he could be the next Claude Giroux, who was also tiny while in Gatineau.

Truth is it’s very unlikely that more than one or two of Hudon, Andrighetto, Reway, Lehkonen and Thomas will play more than 100 games at the NHL level. If we manage to graduate all the above, than that would be excellent, and certainly well above the league average.

Fingers crossed of course. Reway is worth the price of admission.

20. Home from our end season hockey party, and chirping it up with some Leaf fans there.

-this time tomorrow night the Habs will be 5 points up (they better be haha)
    -this time tomorrow the Leafs will be in 8th
    -this time Tuesday night the Leafs will be in 9th
    – and the only reason they aren’t in 10th by Tuesday is because the Caps are on the West coast. Maybe by Saturday (29th) the Leafs will be in 10th.

Leafs fans see it, and they aren’t saying a freaking word. Oct- Dec they were all over the place, now they are nowhere to be heard.

Hope the Habs win, but like I said this morning, hockey’s an odd game, and the Leafs are due to rip someone up, I just hope it’s not tomorrow :lol:

Go Habs Go

Hey Carey, is that thing heavy….yes, yes it is……….Go Gold Go

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Congrats Carey Price and PK Subban, that’s Gold Baby!

21. Odie24 says:

How to f**k up the 4th line? Add a little Eller.

22. AceTen says:

Do we seriously have nobody better to play with Subban? I don’t think I’ve ever heard of pairing a Norris Trophy winner with your 7th d-man.

• Habitforming says:

Yeah that’s just silly. Then again giving your future star center a guy that can’t do anything right and can’t stay in the lineup, as well as a guy that is a shadow of his former self for wingers isn’t the best idea either.

Putting Galchenyuk at center this late in the season with those wingers is just an awful idea. It should have been back in dec or not until next year.

• AceTen says:

Totally agree, I was very happy to see Chucky finally getting a shot at center. It would be nice if they could give him some real wingers to work with though.

• habkin says:

I am in total agreement in playing one of the rookies as a defence man.

• jamman says:

seriously. Pateryn would be a way better partner for P.K then Bouillon.

23. habkin says:

While we are sharing years of being a faithful, I have seen 7 Holy Grails while being a fan. I have said before of the Chelios and Roy trades. I was worried about Subban but I am sure he knows he will be a Hab for a long time. I believe Tinordi should be in to amend his mistake but lets see how things transpire before sharpening the guillotine. As for Prust, better take the break before the playoffs. I do not want to give up on Eller. I think as he matures he will be the player we hoped for…for this years playoffs. However, I agree that MT is perhaps not the right coach for this team. Melody Davidson should be coach in the future.

24. B says:

Dogs win 4-2 over Milwaukee. Bournival pops a pair, the 2nd on a penalty shot. Pateryn with a goal and assist. Tarnasty an assist short of a Gordie Howe. Tokarski stops 28 of 30.

–Go Habs Go!–

25. jlgib1019 says:

Watching Mackinnon again. Is anyone concerned that he looks like twice the player as Galch does. . AG hasn’t progressed from last year,and imo has regressed a bit. It’s either coaching (see Eller) or we may have vastly overrated him. 12 goals and 28 pts in his 2nd full season as top 2 picked forward picked is totally unacceptable .I really hope the move to center jump starts him

• Timo says:

Who is coaching MacKinnon and who is coaching Galchenyuk. Also check their respective linemates.

• bwoar says:

He’s not on Mackinnon’s level, no where near. I don’t think anyone expected him to be, though.

• Chris says:

The unfortunate thing for Montreal is that they had two top-5 picks in a 7 years span, but they both came in weaker than usual drafts. Price has worked out very well, but I’m still not convinced that goaltenders have the same impact as an elite point-producing forward or stud defenceman.

Galchenyuk will produce, but the lost year to the knee injury is going to slow his development. MacKinnon is in a good place, as his minutes were managed prudently while he learned to cope with the NHL (14-15 minutes per game) while still getting some PP time with some good NHL forwards (Stastny, Landeskog, Duchene, O’Reilly, McGinn and Parenteau). He is now seeing his minutes climb.

I also think MacKinnon was one of the most NHL ready prospects to come along in years. He has great speed, a tremendous work ethic and is clearly talented. The question is what his ceiling will be.

As a bigger guy, Galchenyuk has to learn to use his body more effectively and he’s got to work on his skating. He clearly has the hands, but I’m not sure the feet are at an elite level yet.

• B says:

I’m not sure if MacKinnon is a fair comparison. How about Ryan Johansen (looks great for Columbus this season), a 4th overall pick who took until his 3rd season to really get going. Galcheyuk is ahead of Johansen production wise at this point in his career.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Odie24 says:

Because he IS twice the player.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

I think too much blame is going on the coach for developing players…he Gally 27 is 20 years old now. There comes a time when the player ought to take it on his own to show all concerned he is what most hope he is. The coach doesn’t do the skating/backchecking/make the on ice decisions etc I don’t like MT very much bit more to dowith personality than anything else. He doesn’t have a very friendly way about him from what I can judge.

26. nellis13 says:

Disturbed to see the “Powered by Videotron” banner. Does this mean I have to add your site to my PKP boycott?

27. Mattyleg says:

… has the Storm passed…?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

28. B says:

Fucale not great (3 goals on 18 shots) but good enough for a strong Halifax team to win 6-3 tonight.

Grégoire with a goal and assist, Hudon with a goal. 5-1 BC over Shawinigan.

Reway with 2 goals, 2 assists and a +6, ‘Piques win 7-2 over Cape Breton.

McCarron opened the scoring for the Knights who beat Vail and the Spitfires 6-1. Vail with an assist.

–Go Habs Go!–

29. Mark C says:

I’m sure it’s been posted but worth posting again. On a night when many Habs prospects are doing well in the playoffs, none can do better than this.

30. frontenac1 says:

Cody McLeod and Campbell square off. Narrow win by McLeod.

31. frontenac1 says:

Bergeron scores. 1-0 Bruins

32. Sportfan says:

So anyone know how Drewiske and Bournival are doing in the AHL?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• B says:

Bournival in his 2nd game with Hamilton has 2 goals tonight. The game is in the 2nd period with the Dogs leading 3-1.

Drewiske is in his 7th game with no points 13 shots, and a -2.

Edit: It’s now 4-1 Hamilton. Tarnasty scored the 4th goal and Liambas, the guy he fought in the 1st period, has Milwaukee’s goal.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

Is that the same Liambas who wiped out Kitchener’s Fanelli?

Do the math……..7 x 6 = 42…Love our PK!
        24 cups and counting….

• B says:

Yup, earned himself a huge suspension (the rest of the season and playoffs thus ending his junior career) and an invite to the Leaf’s next camp.

–Go Habs Go!–

33. frontenac1 says:

Heads up amigos! Bruins vs Avs on RDS at 9pm.

34. Sportfan says:

Bourque scores against the Leafs but it will be disallowed you’ll see, its his bad luck.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

35. B says:

Reminder that Fucale and the Mooseheads vs Islanders game is on Sportsnet now in the 2nd period. That Ehlers kid has some wheels, he should be a high pick this summer. Drouin isn’t too bad either.

–Go Habs Go!–

36. B says:

Bournival and Pateryn both with PP goals to give the Dogs a 2-0 lead over Milwaukee after 1. Tarnasky has a scrap with the Admirals’ 5’9″ tough guy Liambas.

McCarron and Grégoire with 1st period goals in their playoff openers tonight.

–Go Habs Go!–

Ok, between Storman and Storm Man… which one of you fellows owns the oil rig?

38. frontenac1 says:

All this talk about “trolls” reminds me of a true story. My wife”s friend has a mentally challenged son ,who is 21yrs old and a big lad. He is capable of staying home alone during the day while his mom is at work. Well,he phones his mom one day at work and says,”Mom, I caught him! I caught the Troll! Can I keep him?” She says ,”yes dear you can” thinking It was another of his stories. She gets home and sees the couch up against the closet. She asks him “why is the couch there?”He says ,Thats where the troll is”.Then she hears a noise in the closet and moves the couch,opens the door and out comes a midget in a suit! He was a Johova”s Witness who came door to door! The poor little guy didn”t even stay for an apology! True Story. Saludos amigos and go easy on Trolls.

• Timo says:

LOL, great story, Front, that, may I add, can only happen to you (or someone associated with you). Cheers, amigo. What’s on the tap for this fine Friday evening?

• Too bad it wasn’t the cable guy. Would have served him right for all the “anytime between 8 and 5″ business. ;)

Defense wins championships

“To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible.” St. Thomas Aquinas

Hickey expression while “listening” to Gionta… “yep, hearing this for 10,247th time in my career”. And probably all of them from within Habs’ last 20 years.

On the bright side, Stormy you managed to figure out how to use the reply button :) Troll! HAhahaha!

41. Plekasuares says:

Maybe Storm Man thoughts are not a troll. But the way he consistently spams is, in fact troll like. Go outside, get some fresh air. You have been on HIO all day

42. GrosBill says:

I don’t know what we’re yelling about! I’m angry!

43. HABSFAN7 says:

does anyone here know if the Habs will practice tomorrow in Toronto before the game? If so, any idea if they would practice at the ACC or at the Mastercard Center? The reason I ask is because my daughter has a game at the Mastercard Center tomorrow and I’m wondering we should go a bit earlier to see if we can watch the Habs practice for a bit…

44. Mavid says:

Just reading through all the chatter on here today..and I got to say its one of the most entertaining ones I have read in a long time..had lots of good laughs..between the Storm man trolling away..and WJC..telling us all how it is..and of course all the wonderful responses to these two fine gentlemen…keep up the good work..my personal favorite is the hard ware one..good stuff

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

45. Exit716 says:

I honestly forgot that Bourque hadn’t played for the last five games or so.

46. habsfan0 says:

In a way,the news about Prust doesn’t come as a total surprise.
    If one compares his play of this season with last, it was rather obvious something was wrong.
    Hopefully,this rest will be all he needs to bounce back completely,but again,I wouldn’t be surprised if off season surgery is in order.

• jlgib1019 says:

I thought he had off season surgery last year,and quite a long rest during and after the olympic break. Once the shoulders go,with his style,he very well could be just about done

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I think your post could nearly have been valid at any time from August on. Or at least from when he chased that icing call into the boards and wrecked his (other?) shoulder.

Maybe I’m uninformed, but I presume the pressures on pro athletes to return from injury are immense. When you look at both Markov and Emelin, you have to wonder — had it been contractually possible — would both have been better off, physically, had they sat out another entire season.

Prust the same. He is so extremely valuable when he’s at 100% — I hate to see him still trying to deliver at 100% when his body isn’t.

47. Dunboyne Mike says:

That’s a load of crap. Sometimes they smell like food they stole from you.

48. CJ says:

Making my way over to Gatineau to see some QMJHL action tonight. Prospect report to follow.

Quickly if I may, regarding Prust, I really like the guy. I can’t hold an injury against him, but I would suggest that this will be a continuing theme throughout the duration of his career. I saw his girlfriend slam a reporter on twitter who identified the injury as being his shoulder. Does it really matter? If it’s serious enough that he needs to rest through the balance of the regular season, than it’s likely only a matter of time before it happens again.

Cheers, CJ

• Chris says:

I’m off to the Guelph storm game myself, CJ. Have fun in Gatineau!

• Le Jadester says:

Perhaps ?
      I totally see where you’re coming from…..but I think we’re effed without a guy like Prustie in the playoffs. The goal he scored against the Avs just goes to show how valuable a guy he is in a series.

Long term he’s definitely a ?…….but short to medium term….he’s a must and gives us identity with group we have now IMO.

Habs, OLE !

• CJ says:

My apologies if my message was misconstrued. I like Prust. I want Prust to play. If he’s not healthy I want someone to step up and fill his spot.

I agree with you, we need him healthy for the playoffs. My only point was that, regrettably, we are going to see more injuries going forward. He plays the game so hard, like Callahan, Peca, etc., that you can’t help but get banged up.

Cheers, CJ

• piper says:

The trouble is that Prust had to do all the enforcing on this team last year. That’s why MB went out and got Parros. When George went down early with the a concussion MB should have quickly gone shopping for a replacement but failed to.

• D Mex says:

Agree – Prust did the heavy lifting alone last year, but Bergevin picked up not only Parros but Murray to help out in that department this season.
            Having them in the lineup comes with a downside, but at least one of them should be dressed in ‘ certain ‘ games, including playoffs, going forward IMO.
            Tomorrow’s game vs Laffs is one of those games, BTW …

ALWAYS Habs –
            D Mex

• habcertain says:

shoulder injuries are never a good one for his type of play, doesn’t help that he gets into scraps and other players know just to keep yanking on it. I’m with you I think this is becoming chronic, hope not though.

• Timo says:

And then you went and Image Googled his girlfriend, right CJ? Come on… we know you did.

49. boing007 says:

Eller put on too much weight over the past summer. There are limits to MOAR Bigger with some players. He doesn’t look as swift.

Richard R

• jlgib1019 says:

The added weight didn’t effect his zero hockey IQ. And the only positive I do see with him is that he’s got a physical edge to him that’s because of the added weight

• Mark C says:

How can this be true? Eller was most productive at the start of the season, which is when he would have been carrying the most of this new weight. Eller has played subsequently worse as these season progressed and his new weight/muscle mass would decrease.

50. jlgib1019 says:

In 1980-81 Habs were in the Norris division with LA, Det, Pitt and one other team? Anyone remember who it was?

51. Storman says:

I am not associated with Storm Man

52. jlgib1019 says:

Well now that my favorite player(Prust) is out for the year,and Parros and Murray/Tinordi non grata,we are once again the smallest,softest team in the league..by a wide margin. If Carlyle had any brains he would try to run us out of the barn tomorrow. We are actually smaller and softer than last year. Iguess Bergevin/Therrien didn’t do anything to address this issue that everyone in hockey sees,but them

• Phil C says:

I believe the average NHLer is 6’1″ and 203 lbs. 70 percent of the entire league is within 1 inch and 10lbs the average. Using tomorrow night’s roster:

– Vanek, Pacioretty, Eller, Moen, Weise, Bourque, Subban, Emelin, and Murray are above average in size. That’s half the roster.
      – Plekanec and Markov are close to average sized players, so they do not suffer a big disadvantage against most of the league.
      – Gallagher and Gionta are small, but play in the dirty areas, so their lack of size is not an issue most of the time.
      -Weaver and Bouillon are strong on their skates so size is not that big an issue. Lack of talent for both is way more concerning.
      – DD and Briere are offensive specialists. As long as they are producing, their lack of size is a good trade off.

The problem with a lack of size for the Habs is greatly exaggerated.

• jlgib1019 says:

No it isn’t. Not one bit. Every analyst says so. Bergevin said so.And all you have to do is use your eyes and not stats. Did you see the Ottawa series. And before you use Chicago as an example,they had Boolig,Bickell,Brookbank,Carcillo and one other tough player that escapes me right now.Weaver and Cube get bounced around like tennis balls. Like I said Bergevin said so. it’s the #1,2,3 problem with this team.

• Phil C says:

Chicago had a few big players, but otherwise are one of the smallest teams in the league, especially on defense. But what they can do is move the puck really well which negates any opponent’s ability to forecheck hard. Chicago barely got by Detroit, another average sized team, yet they took both Los Angeles and Boston to the woodshed for a good spanking even though they are much bigger teams.

Bergevin says they need to get bigger and tougher to play against, but obviously not at the expense of hockey talent. He got Weise and Murray this year, Prust the year before that. He resigned Emelin. It’s a work in progress.

Like I said before, the lack of talent on D is a much bigger concern than a lack of size.

• jlgib1019 says:

I don’t like the contract Emelin got. Too much,too soon. I wouldn’t say that Hawks took Bruins to woodshed. they were in real danger of losing the series. Replace Weaver and Boullion with bigger equally talented d-men and that would upgrade this team significantly. The talent on this team is overrated. Lots of room for improvement. Weise and murray were good ideas,and a younger version of Parros would have been also

53. piper says:

There goes any swagger we had. The loss of Prust will hurt more than you think. This team didn’t have enough sandpaper with him in the lineup, now they have half as much. Oh well..Go Habs Go.

• jlgib1019 says:

That’s on Bergevin again. For two years he’s been tangling with guys 30-40 lbs bigger(McLaren,Lucic,Gadzic,Fraser,Thornton et.al) with no backup except for an aging ex enforcer for 15 games this year.Of course he was going to get hurt and breakdown Why can’t we ever get younger muscle/protection ?

54. scamorza says:

Looks like another fun day at HI/O !
    Losing Prust sucks but may be a blessing in disguise as long as he is not too rusty and ready to go for the playoffs and with that my fearless predictions for 3-8
    3. Tampa bay 99
    4. Montreal 97
    5 Philadelphia 97
    6. Columbus 94
    7. Detroit 93
    8. NY rangers 92
    9. Toronto 90
    10. Washington 89

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

55. scamorza says:

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

56. The Jackal says:

How to tell the Storm Mans apart – the original one does not use capitalization, the other one does.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

57. Lafleurguy says:

Weenie’d more buns to cover all these weiners.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Laf, that is just completely and utterly awful. Appalling.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

(sorry, Laf. can’t reply to you here — currently running an experiment in non-Reply Button Reply methodology. we must not be complacent and simply accept received wisdom, but rather test it at every opportunity. depending on the outcome, perhaps there will be a pilot scheme to encourage and evaluate non-Reply Button replying, just as they have tested traffic-lightless junctions on roads in Hong Kong).

58. Old Bald Bird says:

It seems like the wrong time of year to experiment with 27 at centre, but I am not very smart.

• habs-fan-84 says:

My thoughts exactly.

• Ian Cobb says:

He is a natural center man. All his career. He will take right off if left with the same wingers for the rest of the season.

• Chris says:

Most NHL forwards were centres in junior. What bothers me a bit is that Galchenyuk not only hasn’t played centre for the Habs in his 1.5 years with the team, he also didn’t play there with Sarnia in his last year in the OHL.

Galchenyuk has not been a regular centre for over 3 years. I’m sure he’ll pick it up again pretty quickly, and it does suit his game based on what we’ve seen of him. But his defensive awareness is simply atrocious. It was bad in the OHL, and it hasn’t improved much in the NHL. He could become a match-up target for other coaches.

He’s got to learn sometime, but doing it in the midst of a playoff race takes some guts on Therrien’s part. :)

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Chris, did he not play centre in his final OHL year because of his injury?

• Chris says:

Sorry about the late reply…I was at the Guelph-Plymouth game. The Sting started with him at centre and Charles Sarault on the wing, but they weren’t clicking. He had 4 goals and 14 points in his first 11 games, Reid Boucher had 3 goals and 8 points in the same time period, while Sarault had 5 goals and 10 points.

Then they moved Sarault to center and Boucher and Galchenyuk started goals at a ludicrous rate so they stuck with it for the rest of the season. Sarault ended up with 108 points on the season, while Boucher ended up with 62 goals in 68 games.

• Phil C says:

Seems risky to me too. If it works, Therrien will look like a genius. With Plekanec struggling offensively, and Eller struggling both offensively and defensively, I don’t blame them for trying something different. How worse could it be?

• Paz says:

I think that is an understatement.

• jlgib1019 says:

Does it really matter / Is it going to ruin our chances to go deep into playoffs. I wish it was done two months ago,along with having Bealieau and Tinordi in the lineup together. I thought the days of being happy to just make the playoffs were over with the Bergevin hiring. What a bunch of crap that was

59. Chris says:

For the record, the whole “Montreal only cares about winning Stanley Cups” schtick is pretty outdated.

You could make a statement like that pre-1980. I’m now 38 years old and have been actively following hockey since 1983. In that time, any assertion that winning is the only thing that matters in Montreal is pretty much laughable. The “glorious tradition” of the Montreal Canadiens as a sports franchise is somewhat comparable to the glory of England as a political superpower: there are lots of reminders of what once was, but ultimately it is now ancient history.

Since the NHL expanded from 17 teams to 21 in 1979-80, Montreal has won 2 out of 33 Stanley Cups. Those aren’t dynasty numbers, there. Edmonton (5), the now sad-sack Islanders (4), Detroit (4), Pittsburgh (3), New Jersey (3), Chicago (2), and Colorado (2) can all match or better that total.

It is of course every fan’s dream that the team win the Stanley Cup, and we’re all bitterly disappointed when it doesn’t happen. But it is pointless using that as a metric in this day and age: the draft makes it very easy for poorly managed teams to build themselves into superpowers, and a variety of factors (economic, cultural, political) have made Montreal less attractive as a destination for free agents.

We Montreal fans like to continually delude ourselves that the Montreal Canadiens brand is the standard by which other teams are measured. Sadly, the Montreal Canadiens haven’t been relevant for their on-ice achievements for about 20-25 years. Unless brainwashed by their parents, you don’t find too many kids outside of Montreal that pick the Habs as their team. The “cool” teams now are teams like Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, Boston, Chicago and Detroit.

• frontenac1 says:

You answered your own question amigo. You weren’t there. Too bad, wish you younger people could have experienced the 50″s,60″s, 70″s consecutive Cup Runs. It was Magic.

• Chris says:

No doubt. Hell, I wish younger fans had the chance that I had to cheer for the 1986-1994 Montreal Canadiens….they only won two Stanley Cups, but there were some tremendous teams and some wonderful players during that run. Roy, Chelios, Naslund, Smith, Green, Desjardins, Schneider, Carbonneau, Lemieux, Richer, Corson, Walter, Svoboda…those were the guys I grew up cheering their every move, cutting out every newspaper article I could find.

But that wasn’t really my point. You say that I wasn’t there, but I’m arguing that it isn’t the same league. Comparing today’s NHL with even the NHL of the 1970’s, let alone the pre-expansion NHL, is just pointless.

30 teams plus an NHL draft have completely altered the team-building landscape. Incompetence is rewarded with the best young players in the world, while the shrewd administration of a GM like Sam Pollock or Frank Selke is punished. It is simply far, far more difficult to win a Stanley Cup in this day and age than it was 40 years ago.

• jlgib1019 says:

To me as a fan since 1970,I stopped being a “cup or bust” fan around 95-96. Now I am a “make the final four and/or make me feel we have a real contender or bust” fan.

• Chris says:

Heck, I just want to not be bored while I watch the games. The current NHL is sucking the fun right out of it.

• jlgib1019 says:

I hear ya. I just read a book about 80’s hockey. I remember sitting through entire games no matter who was playing. Now unless the Habs are playing,it just part of the channel surfing menu

• BriPro says:

And yet you’ll find the CH as far as China.
      True, Habs money is old money.
      And you won’t find any argument from me on most of your points. Where we differ is history’s influence, which still lasts today.

Perhaps because I’m a decade or so older than you, but the true Ambassadors of the game reside primarily in Montreal.

And for the hockey greats of the world, Montreal is still considered as one of the premier places to play. I’m sure that our now-outdated domination is not the factor.

This organization has re-established the class which had fallen off, coincidentally around the time of departure of Saint Patrick.

You can’t call out those who would like to believe that days of glory will return.

• Max says:

They may not be “their” team, but they’re “our” team.

• The Jackal says:

Agree with your post Chris, a team’s success (not only Montreal’s) is no longer measured by whether or not they win a cup. That is the ultimate goal, but in today’s NHL, dynasties are a thing of the past. The closest that we come to that are when a team is a perennial contender for a very long time and perhaps wins a cup or two in 10-15 years or some flexible timeframe along those lines.

Take Detroit as an example – 22 years of making the playoffs and few cups in that span to boot. That is success today in the NHL, and that’s not a record to scoff at either. A successful team today is thus a team that is competitive over a long period of time – a team that provides excitement and realistic hope at winning the cup for many years.

That’s why the “cool” teams are cool, they are successful and exciting to watch. But I disagree that the Habs are no longer appealing to most people. I think there is a certain mystique about the Habs that no team will ever have. After the 24th cup, the franchise fell into disarray for a few years and that almost tainted the club’s history, but thankfully we are back under good stewardship. I think the Habs will be one of the more exciting teams to watch soon enough, and I think that Vanek will sign here in the end, provided we finish strong.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Chris says:

I’m as hopeful as you that the Habs do indeed return to prominence, but I’m a little more skeptical. The Montreal Canadiens have been too well managed and have far too passionate a home fan base to put up with a prolonged period of not trying to do as well as possible.

This is admirable, but the NHL pathetically rewards incompetence. Chicago and Pittsburgh are where they are because they wet the bed for a few years in a row. Good drafting and more importantly good player development can carry you far, as the Red Wings have shown, but it is going to be tougher now with everybody spending huge amounts of money on their scouting and player development departments.

Montreal dominated in the past because they were better than everybody else in every aspect of running their farm system. After a 10-15 year blip of incompetence, we’re getting back to a strong base once again. The problem is that most other teams in the NHL are no longer weak, so the advantages are minimal.

Like you said, there won’t be dynasties any longer. And in the absence of dynasties (we haven’t seen one since the 1984-1990 Oilers), using Stanley Cup victories as the metric is silly, which I think we both agree on.

As for the appeal of the Canadiens, I think they will always be an attractive team. Anybody who has been to a game in the Bell Centre can attest to the energy that surrounds the team. But it is a tougher row to hoe now…I have numerous friends that are die-hard Habs fans, yet their kids would prefer to cheer for the Penguins, Blackhawks, or Kings. I don’t blame them…cheering for the winning team is a pretty natural thing to do. That is the main reason why there are so many Habs fans in the first place.

• The Jackal says:

You’re right on all fronts!
          I’ve seen many kids and younger teens (I’m still in the youth category myself but in the upper edge of that) wearing Hawks and Pens jerseys in Toronto. I feel it is because they are very fun teams to watch but a lot of exciting players come from smaller towns in ON and QC so possibly people from or around those areas cheer for them and their teams. Kind of like how people in Haliburton ON cheer for Duchene and the Avs because he is a hometown boy. I think many people from similar places who come to Toronto or other cities cheer for the teams that represent their hometowns. And of course kids who just watch hockey on TV will naturally follow the more exciting teams as you say.

In any case, it’s good to see the Habs take a more patient approach in development and also invest more in it. Like you said, being last place for two or three years in a row would be unacceptable here, and that is largely because of the Habs’ history. Sometimes it seems unfair to reward teams with top picks in consecutive years. The teams we see today as dominant benefited from years of failure. Montreal will most likely have to emulate Detroit’s success in terms of scouting and drafting diamonds in the rough and under-the-radar prospects. I have faith that Timmins and co. will replenish the farm and our developmental system – having an elite system will be Montreal’s key to longterm success.

______________________
          Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Chris says:

The problem with the Detroit model is that not even Detroit has been able to do it successfully. You need superstars to win in today’s NHL, and Detroit hasn’t landed one in the draft since 1999 (Zetterberg) and 1998 (Datsyuk). That is nearly 15 years of searching.

They’ve got some good players, but nobody at the level of a Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Fedorov, Lidstrom or Yzerman, the backbone of their two mini-dynasties.

I would say that the better model is that of the Flyers. The Flyers have only had one truly miserable year (2007, when they landed van Riemsdyk 2nd overall). Like the Habs, they are usually in the playoff mix, if not a bit better than Montreal most years. Despite this, they have drafted well (Giroux is a legitimate superstar) and they have been willing to roll the dice on trades that most teams wouldn’t (Carter for Voracek and Couturier, Richards for Schenn and Simmonds, etc.). This rebuilding on the fly would likely have seen them maintain a strong position in the Eastern Conference were it not for the Chris Pronger injury, which devastated their team-building plan, and their continued inability to get consistently good goaltending since the days of Pelle Lindbergh and Ron Hextall.

Lars Eller will be a good test this summer. I think this season is ultimately a bust for him, but there is still a good NHL player lurking. The question is whether Bergevin can salvage him or salvage another useful part via a trade. For most teams, they simply don’t have the strength of purpose to deal a guy like that. We’ll see if Bergevin does.

• GrosBill says:

Valid points for sure. Those days are gone.

But on the bright side, many youngsters around Canada are still Hab fans. Just like there are Leaf fans despite an even longer drought without a cup. Expectations have been tempered by most.

I think what really left a sour taste, in the case of Hab fans more recently, was how quickly and painfully the 93 team was broken up. The management at the time and for sometime after did not help things IMO.

It is still a great hockey city with a huge fan base. I am still a big fan of the Habs and still follow hockey as much as ever and wonder if I will ever see them win a cup again!

Go Habs GO!

• mark-ID says:

Well said Chris. I am 29…and although I have been born for two cups……I really don’t remember either of them. Yet, I am still a diehard, who has yet to really experience that awsomeness of being Stanley Cup champions. History is a great part of the Canadiens……but in today’s NHL…….I will feel greatful to be perenial contenders, and to witness even one Stanley Cup.

• piper says:

It’s all about the cup for me. Sick of these first round knockouts.

• Phil C says:

When you look back at why the Habs were successful in the past, you can see an organizational emphasis on player development. Selke pioneered the farm team system with great success. Pollock was one of the best at exploiting the draft, trading veterans for futures and trading for opportunities to pick early and often. He had 6 picks in the first two rounds of 1971 for example, including the first overall. So he was able to carry on the tradition of having a strong prospect pool. The Habs’ last 1st overall pick was courtesy of a Pollock trade three years after he retired. Making a trade for a draft pick 3 years in the future is unheard of now.

Despite winning two more Cups after that, I think the Habs lost their way until Molson stepped in and changed directions with hiring Marc Bergevin. I feel like the torch that was dropped in the 70s has been picked up with a renewed focus on building through the draft and the hiring of a player development staff, a modern day version of how to gain a competitive advantage. The prospect pool already seems much deeper after only two years, so I am encouraged.

It may take 5-7 years, but I hope that we will see this franchise return to greatness. Dynasties are a relic, I agree, but being a perrenial contender would be nice. With a little luck a Cup should follow eventually.

• Chris says:

The big difference, though, is that the farm system that was implemented by Selke has been studied to death. The Canadiens were simply that dominant of a franchise that people in all sports looked at them to see what they could do better.

Now, I would argue that building through the draft is something like trying to win the World Series of Poker. Every single player at the table knows the odds on every imaginable hand. There is still some skill there, especially when it comes to bluffing and betting, but the differences are microscopic and the influence of pure stupid luck can still ruin even the smartest or most conservative players.

You can dump tons of money into player development, but most teams are doing this. Montreal was actually quite late to that party, despite the franchise’s revenues. I think the impact of Mellanby and Lapointe will start to pay off in another 2-3 years.

In terms of scouting, there really isn’t much of an advantage to be had. Pretty much every kid is scouted to death. The scouts know most of these kids inside and out: their traits, their strengths, their weaknesses, how they do in school, what kind of family life they have, etc. Maybe the Habs can do it just a little better, but maybe not.

To be perennial contender, you either have to get very lucky (Detroit), tank (Pittsburgh, Chicago) or be willing to move some very valuable assets (St. Louis, Philadelphia) against conventional wisdom.

Montreal can’t tank. It simply wouldn’t be tolerated. So they have to get lucky and start to win big on their trades. So far, that hasn’t really happened. The team has an interesting opportunity this summer with Plekanec, Desharnais, Eller and Galchenyuk all needing ice time at centre.

If it were me, I would trade Plekanec. Galchenyuk is untouchable right now, so Plekanec has the largest return. That opens up a top-6 centre spot for Galchenyuk, which he desperately needs. Desharnais would not net much of a return, while Eller can fill in as a third line checking centre that can take Plekanec’s penalty killing minutes.

That isn’t the popular line (trading Eller is now more popular, with Desharnais slightly behind) but I subscribe to the Eric Cantona maxim from the old Joga Bonito commercials for Nike: “Without risk, there is no genius!”

• Phil C says:

The are late to the party with player development, but at least they have arrived, at least now they have a chance to compete with the best, whereas before they were at a systematic competitive disadvantage.

They will need to be lucky for sure to a point. But like a good poker player, if you give yourself favourable odds more often than not, the money will eventually come.That’s why you need to draft often. I see drafting as a bit of a numbers racket: the more opportunities you get to draft, the more chances you have to be lucky or to endure busts. That’s why I like the recent trend of trying to get a lesser draftpick back in trades, like a 3rd in the Cole trade and the 5th in the Vanek deal. The new regime does not seem to part with picks easily.

I like the Plekanec idea. That is exactly how Pollock did it. Once you have a young gun ready to replace the vet, you move the vet for futures. With Galchenyuk knocking at the door, the timing next year should be good. The reason I haven’t endorsed moving Markov is because they don’t have anyone ready to replace him. As the prospect pool grows, it will present more opportunities to repeat the process.

60. CHasman says:

Sorry to hear about Prust, especially after he played his best game of the season. The great thing about Prust is that he is actually the enforcer on the team. No one gets away with a cheap shot without Prust stepping up and letting them know that is unacceptable. He is a great team player and I guarantee everyone on the team loves him for it.
    It sounds as though he could play if he had too and he is being given a chance to heal. Others on the team will have to step up.

61. DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

Ok, time for some positivity…. Habs are currently set for the playoffs, they won’t win the cup, but they may surprise and our young’uns might get some schoolin’, it is Friday, Habs play the Leafs tomorrow and the Leafs suck, and if we lose then we suck too, but if we win then we don’t suck and that’s nice too. And it’s the weekend, and the first signs of winter breaking are hitting Chibougamau, which is magnificent. Have a great weekend everyone!

• kalevine says:

you’re in Chibougamau?
      I used to always get it mixed up with Chicoutimi, but it’s the one that is deep in the interior. Isn’t it early for winter to be breaking in there? We are still having cold here in Boston

• DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

We’re 3 hours north of Chicoutimi, and when I say winter is breaking, it means the sun is beginning to feel warm …. but it’s good.

62. boing007 says:

Out for a month, plays two or three games. Repeat. Bummer.

Richard R

63. knob says:

Habs need to beat that rag-tag of a team in Toronto. Yes, this was an obvious statement.

Onto other things:
    – I don’t mind seeing Galchenyuk playing centre but not as a number three guy;
    – I would rather see Eller sit and White play the fourth line. White, Moen and Weise make a nice fourth line;
    – can we separate the only two guys that can score on this team. Pacioretti appears to have become a playmaker now;
    – to tie in my 1st and 3rd point: play Galchenyuk with Vanek and Briere as the 2nd line;
    – I don’t care for Weaver’s hockey talent;
    – Parros cancels out Orr, White cancels out the next retread on that team, Murray beats up Kadri. See we should have Parros in the line-up; and
    – Go Habs Go

64. theflukester says:

Holy Canons! He changed the lines again. If I shake my head anymore, people will think I have parkinsons. What is wrong with this coach! Oh right, like others pointed out, he’s clueless how to use his players. Just when I thought he finally figured it out too. Oh wait, you guys are getting chemistry together, no no no, that does not working in the book of Therrien, must change must change!! Gosh forbid the team has an off game!!!

Sucks about Prust too, very injury prone.

Play every game as if it is your last one. Guy Lafleur

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

He really only changed one line and by doing so did something most of us have been clamouring for all season.

Unless dropping White is tinkering too, but he was only added because of Prust’s injury.

65. habcertain says:

I have to say that Storm Man’s haphazardly placed posts and the irate feedback was highly entertaining reading today, I really liked in constant reply posts from Chuck/Cary’ed, supporting Storm’s post. Had a good laugh today

66. Luke says:

Well, Matty, your e-mail was insufficient. It didn’t work at all.

Boo.

I’m going for a much needed Beerday beverage.

I hope you all enjoy the rest of your afternoon.

67. habsonly says:

Well it is time to go home, enough of work for another week.
    Tough loss last night, p’d me off but on to the next game.
    This next game is a big game, the Habs need to win, kick laff butts boy’s!!
    Go Habs Go!!
    Have a great weekend all!!
    Cheers.

68. Dunboyne Mike says:

Don’t take my word for it, check the stats, bud. Or can’t you reed?! It was 1988 and his %ge was weigh over every other left-shooting d-man from the prairies and who had never been vaccinated. Check your facts or go to another site. And bring your mother with you.

69. TheCanadianDagger says:

WTF… I go for a quick lunch while people are talking about Eller and come back to people talking about drilling rights and how us hardworking folks in Calgary are just rich angry people!

This site, man… on a one-game losing streak at that!

70. smiley says:

On another topic, anybody have any thoughts on the so-called loser point. I love them-hope to collect a bunch of them. After all, it is based on total points and stealing a point like we did against the Wings 2 weeks back feels like a win to me. That’s why I was SO heartbroken following Boone’s blog last night when the Jackets scored with 3 minutes left. Just get the game to OT and try to get 2 but at least settle for 1.

71. Chris says:

Calls for Parros/Tinordi/Murray against “tough” teams: There is pretty much no correlation whatsoever for the Habs getting run more or less when different players are in the lineup during the regular season. It varies wildly, regardless of who is in the line-up. Over the past 2-3 years, the Habs have done pretty well against big, physical teams like Philadelphia and Boston. Montreal often does even better when teams try to physically intimidate them, as this opens up more ice as players go out of their way to lay big hits.

Where they struggle is against teams that can match their speed, such as St. Louis, San Jose, Los Angeles and Ottawa. If you negate Montreal’s speed advantage, they simply haven’t had the 5-on-5 scoring to be an elite team, and they probably don’t this year either.

So I don’t worry so much about whether Parros or Murray are playing against the Leafs, but more about who the Leafs are playing against the Plekanec and Desharnais lines.

I can see a bigger correlation in the playoffs, where playing against those big physical teams can wear you out when you do it game after game. But I don’t honestly think that it was the deciding factor in the Montreal-Ottawa series last season: Montreal was very competitive for most of the series, and often dictated the flow of the play. Unfortunately, their penchant for gifting breakaways, and odd-man rushes through silly miscues burned them, as did relatively hot goaltending by Craig Anderson. Throw in some untimely injury woes, and it was lights out for Montreal.

• Ozmodiar says:

The Habs have done well against Philly over the last few years? I.did.not.know.that.

• Chris says:

Looking back, I take it back against the Flyers…they haven’t done that great the past 2-3 years. They had some really nice records before that, but then got pummelled in the playoffs so everybody remembered those games instead.

For the record, that is the team I fear the most in the playoffs. Giroux, when on his game, is right there with Crosby, Datsyuk and Stamkos. Their defence is questionable, and I remain skeptical about their goalkeeping, but they are fast, skilled and physical.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Giroux gets better every year, and the Flyers — all the managerial arsing around notwithstanding — seem to have stuck to a particular vision of how they want to play. Broad Street Bullies no longer, especially the token throwback Pronger gone (and they have adapted well to his absence). Nets remains dodgey, but there’s no way we are anywhere near being inside their heads. Unlike Boston. So I agree with you.

• jlgib1019 says:

Keep in mind every playoff loss we’ve had since 08 was to the Flyers or Bruins,and then Sens last year. the common thread was that we got physically manhandled each time,except for the 11 series vs. B’s which we still lost

• Chris says:

That is the easy thing to point at. But those Bruins and Flyers teams were also far more talented than the Habs. Both teams were three lines deep with guys that could score.

The best chance was 2007-08, but Price simply wasn’t ready in that playoff year and lost his composure at the same time as the Habs forwards started firing blanks after a good scoring season. No doubt the physicality of the Flyers played a part. The Bruins, with the exception of the 2008-09 season, have always struggled like hell to out the Habs in the playoffs despite their physical edge and superior depth. So I’m not convinced the effect is as great as it is made out.

72. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Sorry but it is too late to switch Chucky to center. Get rid of Eller in the off-season and move him then. BTW the lines were fine. One loss and reshuffling again? C’mon…

• Phil C says:

Eller is -9 in the month of March. He was -4 in the Ottawa game before the comeback. That’s not good enough for a 3rd line centre who usually gives you good defensive minutes. If he was scoring it would be different, but he’s not scoring either. Someone else deserves a shot at his spot on the roster with those kind of numbers.