Habs’ Prust out for rest of regular season; Galchenyuk moves to centre

The Canadiens practised Friday morning in Brossard before heading to Toronto to face the Maple Leafs Saturday night (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

And there was some bad news as the team announced that forward Brandon Prust will miss the remainder of the regular season with an upper-body injury. The regular season ends for the Canadiens on April 12.

In 52 games this season, Prust has 6-7-13 totals with 121 penalty minutes and was minus-1.

Coach Michel Therrien told reporters after practice that the club’s medical team decided it would be best if Prust didn’t play for the rest of the regular season, giving him a chance to heal and be 100 per cent for the playoffs.

Alex Galchenyuk was moved to centre during the practice with Brian Gionta and Rene Bourque, who has missed five games as a healthy scratch. Lars Eller was dropped to the fourth line with Travis Moen and Dale Weise.

Therrien said he wanted to see a lot of intensity from Bourque when he gets back in the lineup.

“Will it be tomorrow? Will it be the next game? I don’t know yet,” Therrien said.

Galchenyuk is looking forward to getting a shot at centre.

“I want to establish myself as a great centreman in this league,” the 20-year-old said. “I’m still really young, but I’ve still got a long way to go. I want to make a step in the right direction. And I’m really looking forward to tomorrow’s game.”

Therrien cautioned against banking on all the adjustments he made to the lines at Friday’s practice.

As for Saturday’s game in Toronto, Therrien said: “It’s a big game every time we play the Leafs. Those are emotional games. And we’re getting to that crunch. Both teams are fighting to make the playoffs. There are a lot of teams in our situation and so tomorrow won’t be any different.  I’m expecting a tight- checking game, a demanding game to play. They’re fun games to be part of.”

Here’s how the lines and defence pairings looked at Friday’s practice:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Vanek
Brière-Plekanec-Gallagher
Bourque-Galchenyuk-Gionta
Moen-Eller-Weise
White-Parros

Bouillon-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Murray-Weaver
Tinordi

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

Habs vs. Leafs preview, NHL.com

Prust could return for playoffs, by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell

Vanek deal looking good for Habs, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Eller slips to fourth line, Hickey on Hockey Notebook

Alex in the middle, Canadiens.com

Post-practice interviews (video), Canadiens.com

Hard-working Blue Jackets hang loss on Canadiens, by Pat Hickey

Tinordi’s slip was the difference, by Pat Hickey

RDS’s Marc Denis played 266 games with Blue Jackets, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Habs vs. Blue Jackets photo gallery, montrealgazette.com

Get to know Thomas Vanek (video), Canadiens.com

Bernier, Bolland participate in full Leafs practice, Toronto Star

Leafs need to forget Reimer-gate, Toronto Sun

Leafs trying to regroup, montrealgazette.com

A preview of ‘Strombo’ on Hockey Night in Canada? Stu on Sports blog

Ovechkin could finish season with NHL’s worst plus/minus, Stu on Sports blog

(Videos by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell)

1. Strom Man says:

How can you say that? If they hope to sign him they would have to do the opposite. Otherwise it’s complete mayhem.
    On what reasoning do you base your opinion. You’ve obviously never run your own business.

I can’t say that I’m happy with these moves. Right now, I’d take White over Bourque. Not to mention that there’s no evidence Galchenyuk is ready to handle centre ice at the present moment. Especially seeing that the team is trying to make the playoffs.

Prust (injury prone) and Bourque (total slacker) don’t appear to be worth a collective 6M at this point in time. Too bad, seeing the team could use their size and physicality.

3. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

It is too bad Tinordi made that mistake as I like the pairing of him and Weaver (good compliments). Murray is a veteran so if a rookie playing in his place makes a mistake, it is only normal that he will go back in the lineup. Do I like it? No, but I understand why. If Murray plays instead of Tinordi in the playoffs, I will be upset because there is no point giving that time to a washed-up vet instead of a promising rookie.

As for who plays with PK, you are basically picking the “least worst” not the best (like voting in elections). PK’s partner has to be mobile to play and cover for him. That eliminates quicksand-Murray. Tinordi is not ready for a top 4 role so that leaves Boullion…hence the “least worst” option. Just hold your nose until Gorges comes back.

4. ClutchNGrab says:

“My bracket is dead”, “My bracket is history”, “Wow didn’t expect that”, “How come Duke lost against that team?”

Can’t way to come back to Montreal, those Americans are driving me crazy.

5. UKRAINIANhab says:

This is awesome news Galchenyuk is playing center!!!!

……with Bork and Gionta…buzzkill!

Anyways, If im in charge I send JT down and call up Nate! Nate did not turn the puck over and did not cost us any goals.

• Habsrule1 says:

I like Nate, but ALL NHL defensemen make mistakes. That’s how they learn.

Hell, it’s not only the ones that need to learn who make mistakes either!

Go Habs Go!!

• UKRAINIANhab says:

I like him. But he clearly is not learning anything when he continually turns it over. BUT this time he will get it!!! He will be ok! He played solid until that.

6. L Elle says:

The only derogatory remark I didn’t come across on HIO today is Weenie.

Somebody needs to use this today, or my day won’t be complete. :)

7. Caesar says:

I think JT and Murray should be in the line up. Also coaches should know what gets the most out of their players if sitting JT one big game against the Laffs will motivate him then why not. I’m sure like Matty writes below the decision is not all MTs. JJ has to have some input. I also think they are in contact with Hamilton to see what has worked with JT in the past.

Jt and Beaulieu are good NHL beginners and are great prospects and it looks like they will become good to great players in the future. I for one am enjoting watching their progress like I did with PK and Komisarek at the samepoint in their careers.

No Parros and Murray in against the Leafs.

8. frontenac1 says:

Ok, seeing Cube is in JJ should keep telling him that Kadri is Tuckers love child.

9. Strom Man says:

I agree with Timo…someone should throw something at MT and HURT HIM!!!!

GRRRR….SO DARN ANGRYYYYYYYYY !!!!!

10. The Jackal says:

Next post that criticizes MT without an actual argument is getting an email from me with Game of Thrones season 4 spoilers.

11. Sportfan says:

If MT had a real sack he’d put white and Parros in with Weise, but no his favorites must go in! I mean we’ll lose without moen or bouillon

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

12. Strom Man says:

GRRRRR! I’m so doggone ANGRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Sportfan says:

Parros has to be playing against the Leafs or Bruins right? I mean MT that scared of having him play a bit

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

14. Sportfan says:

That;s great Prust is a spark plug who keeps getting unraveled

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

15. CH Marshall says:

if we’re playing the Leafs, Tiny should be dressed

16. 365fan says:

Watch the veteran Weaver on the gwg. He leaves Tinordi out to dry by calling for a pass when he should have seen that Tinordi was not in a position to make it, then skates backwards out of the play when he gets in trouble rather than supporting him. It is like it is ok if you make a mistake if you are 35 but if you are 22 you better be perfect. Weaver and Murray were absolutely horrible against Ottawa last week, mistakes all over the place. If MB wants to get them for depth, leave them up in the pressbox until they are absolutely needed rather than putting them in ahead of better players.

17. Mattyleg says:

Don’t forget that there is a defence coach too.
    Perhaps Tiny wasn’t doing what JJ wanted him to.

Each decision isn’t all on Therrien. He makes the final call, but I’m sure a lot of those kinds of decisions are made with his other coaches. If JJ says that he isn’t happy with how Tiny is coming along, he’ll tell Therrien. And likewise, MT will ask JJ if he thinks that scratching him would work.

Management is a team thing too.

• The Jackal says:

Matty your post is too well reasoned and too against the mob mentality of MT haters that it goes above their head.

Ya know, if they had a real sack, those guys would go down to the Bell Centre and demand MT fight them in one on one combat – a trial by combat if you will. The gods will help the winner and after the fight this will be solved. But since they are not asking for a trial by combat, then they must not believe MT is truly guilty of being a sucky coach – they have resigned to tow their party line and to hate MT, for no particular reason.

If they had a sack, those sandlot mommas boy kids would see MT for what he is…. wait… what?

• kalevine says:

too much consensus! what we need is an arrogant SOB…with a brain

• bwoar says:

EDIT This reply belongs to a different post.

• boing007 says:

Get rid of JJ.

Richard R

18. Strom Man says:

I am totally lost on the concept here. Do I just send countless posts at random, or should I click on “reply” first. Bahhh I will just send a bunch of random posts.

19. Strom Man says:

This is a useless team of midgets! if you can’t see that your a mommy’s boy in your sisters prom dress!!!

20. Forum Dog says:

Prust out for the rest of the regular season makes sense. His contributions can be filled (to a certain extent) by others. Let him try and get his health back, and be in full battle-mode for the playoffs.

I think Eller on the 4th line also makes some sense right now. He can do more, but simplifying things and letting him just crash and bang with Weise and Moen might help his confidence. I hope. In theory it’s a good 4th line. Guys each in their natural position. A centre that can win draws. All three are big and can skate. He won’t scrap, but in most other areas Eller > White.

Be interesting to see Galchenyuk play the middle. Given that he is a natural centre, and given the responsibilities that come with the position, we might see more from him. Especially in terms of puck-handling and playmaking. Gio’s a good responsible winger for him, and maybe Bourque will come back with enthusiasm.

Here’s hoping they have a better showing against the Leafs, especially in terms of discipline. The Toronto PP won’t be as kind as Columbus…..

21. Habsrule1 says:

It’s funny how reactionary a lot of people on here are. OMG we lost a game, OMG Galchenyuk is playing wing, OMG Galchenyuk is playing centre, OMG Tinordi might not play, OMG Bouillon is in the lineup.

It’s like children. It’s honestly pathetic. This is the place I would point to if I was a leafs fan to show people are truly stupid Habs fans are.

Just look at the results, not the every day things you may not agree with. None of you who are complaining about Therrien ever expected the team to be doing as well as they are.

No offense if any of you see yourselves in my comment.

Go Habs Go!!

22. frontenac1 says:

Tiny and Crankshaft should be in. Cube should sit. Eller should sit this game and Tarnasky should be called up.

23. Ozmodiar says:

I got a bad feeling about Bouillon on the top pairing.

Drive for 25!!!!

24. frontenac1 says:

Prust out for the season,Parros with a wonky coconut,Moener practicing Zen. I guess it’s up to Crankshaft to keep the peace. Do we have any decent Enforcers in the system?

25. Maritime Ronn says:

Re Rene Bourque:

A very real question mark/head scratcher when it comes to WHY he doesn’t use more of his god given physical tools and talents to play the game any more.

So many NHLers could only dream of being 6’2″-217 and having his wheels….so what’s up?
    Why does he appear to have quit?

Is it the team, or just that he has had enough with severe NHL injury stuff, and now trying to ‘protect himself’?

In Bourque’s career, he has experienced some brutal – almost life threatening injuries, and others which may cause some long term health issues.

1) 2006- A throat cut from a skate – could have died:
    ” …Adam Burish is familiar with the 2006 injury to then-teammate Rene Bourque, who missed 30 games after undergoing surgery to repair a deep laceration to his neck when the blade of a skate caught him during a pileup in the Blackhawks’ crease.”

2) 2010 – missed games because of a ‘Head Injury’

3) 2013 with the Habs: Missed 21 games because of Concussion and had set backs.

At the end of the day, these athletes are no less vulnerable to fear or concern of long term health than any other human being.

Bourque appears to now be in that mind set – with another guaranteed $5M USD in the next 2 years, to add on to his already gross earnings of $20M to date, has he just quit/given up?

• johnnylarue says:

I think that’s a fair analysis. And credit to Bourque: it’s probably instinctual as much as it is a conscious decision to play safe/not risk another concussion, etc.

At this level, all it takes it the slightest amount of hesitation in your game and your overall effectiveness/point totals will plummet.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

It’s a head problem alright, whatever way you look at it.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

26. Mattyleg says:

Trolls getting you down?

At least you didn’t look like this the other night:

27. Ozmodiar says:

So, Chucky gets Bourque and Gio.

Well…. if he can’t produce on Saturday, I don’t see how he’ll ever produce @ center. ;)

Hey MT!! Swap Bourque and Vanek and give the kid a real chance. Has Max scored since Vanek’s been on his line? Davey only looks to pass to Max most times anyway.

28. Habfan29 says:

I am a big habs fan but with this lineup we are going to lose tomorrow. There is no way that Tiny should sit and cube should play, sit cube and Eller and insert White. You just know that Orr and his goon buddies are going to be playing and who do we have to answer the bell?????

• Mattyleg says:

We don’t have to fight them.
      We just skate away from them and they won’t be able to catch us.

Did you also think we’d be dismantled by Colorado?
      (honestly, now…)

• Habfan29 says:

no I did no think that we would lose to Colorado. The leafs just seem to get up for games against the Habs and there does not seem to be any push back. I hope that I am wrong. I still think that Frankie Boo needs to sit and Tiny play despite the gaff last night.

• Mattyleg says:

I guess the thinking is that Frankie, as a vet, has the experience in this late stage in the season, and won’t feel the pressure so much.

I don’t think Tiny was scratched for his gaffe.
          That would be pretty stupid.
          If it was for a number of errors, then I can see it.

• Luke says:

Orr is injuered. McClaren in the minors.

Who are the goons?

29. mrhabby says:

murray over tiny. I guess he wants more experience over youth. easy to understand but I would like to see tiny in to get more experience.

30. scavanau says:

How many points for Phil “Porky Pig” Kessel Saturday? What crimes will Princess Fanooof get away with?

31. Mattyleg says:

Where was the ‘Anti-Therrien’ camper parked during our 3-game winning streak, when he out-coached The Walrus (who some say out-coached him last playoffs. Don’t know how a coach can influence injuries on an opposing team, but facts shouldn’t get in the way of hate, right?), Ted (best coach ever when he beats us) Nolan, and Patrick (he should be coaching here…what? Therrien beat up on him?) Roy.

I think I may have spotted it parked under the rail-bridge down the road from me, with crack-smoke coming out the vents.

• shiram says:

Are you trying to summon trolls?
      Cause that’s how you summon trolls! :p

• Mattyleg says:

They’re already here.
        School finishes up around 2:30, and I guess that a lot of them had last period off.
        I’m trying to open a dialogue with them that ends with me poking them in the eye with a sharpened stick.

(but you’re right, I should probably just leave them alone.)

• The Jackal says:

The dummy circus is back in town after one loss and a lineup change due to injuries. Oh no… they sat Tinordi – what on earth has the world come to? It’s only hockey, and the team did well without him anyway. Jeez, some “fans” are never happy, they can’t support their team, they need to have someone to blame for everything and project their petty insecurities on. Therrien is their object of hate, but for what exactly? The coach that scratched them when they made a mistake or that cut them from the team because a smaller yet more athletic kid made it?

Who knows. More importantly, who cares?
      The facts stand in the way of their petulant whining – 2nd in the division, great record ever since returning to the NHL, out-coaching Patrick Roy, actually being able to adjust and make changes (as seen most recently against the Avs), not throwing players under the bus (most recently seen when he defended Tinner’s mistake), etc.

But hey, don’t let reality get in the way of your absurdities ;)

Hockey sine stercore tauri.

Therrien’s way of developing young talent – you make a SINGLE mistake, you sit. There is a vote of confidence from the coach for ya.

• Mattyleg says:

C’mon Timo, you’re not trying very hard today.
      This is all pretty tepid stuff.

• Butterface says:

To be completely fair Tinordi should not be up. It should be Beaulieu.

We had enough of Tinordi a bunch of games ago. If I saw it, why didn’t management. He is not ready. He doesn’t hit enough. He doesn’t add offensive upside. He doesn’t make smart plays. YET !

Why isn’t he the guy we get excited about clearing out guys (like PK) against the boards. he is huge and goes to the Hal Gill school of passive.

Bring in Beaulieu. At least we get puck carrying skill and offensive upside. We may not get the size, but we will get a PLUS player who is far less adept at give aways.

Bring Tinordi back for the Flyers and the Bruins… otherwise he sits.

***********************
      If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
      ***********************

33. jols says:

The buffoon strikes again. Great time to experiment. Going into the biggest game of the season, lets throw the young kid at center with two bricks on his wings. This is going to turn out great.

Bouillon in over Tinordi? Therrien’s love for the Hobbits knows no bounds.

What a maroon…

• shiram says:

He might not play center long, Therrien changes lines often.
      That said if he does well, that’s a nice bonus.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Actually Murray comes in for Tinordi which is even worse.

Galchenyuk at centre? Why not but then give him Desharnais´s spot and don´t play him with Bourque and Gionta.

• jols says:

Chucky should definitely be a center man but not in the 72′nd game of the season that is a huge 4 point game against a hated division rival with massive playoff consequences.

Chucky should have been at center all through training camp and exhibition when games don’t matter. You don’t make that switch now.

• mrhabby says:

he will not play the whole game at centre. lines are changed all the time by head coachs.

• The Jackal says:

ZZzzzzzzzz
      Yes, Murray and Cube are going to drag the team down, that’s so what is wrong, right? LOL no.
      We’ve won with those two in the lineup, and FYI Murray’s on ice sv% is about 97%, that means that when he is on the ice the team’s sv% is 97%, not too shabby eh?

And how is Gio a brick, you turkey? He works his ass off and has speed. He’ll help Chucky out a lot. Bourque has a chance to redeem himself and Chucky has a shot to show what he can do at centre. Good riddance, you cry about why he isn’t at centre and now this is some kind of travesty.
      Get a life you dingus!

• jols says:

Layoff the crack and put your sisters cheer leading uniform away. You know it causes friction in the family and for heavens sake move out of your mom’s basement.

• The Jackal says:

Haha, well that’s one way to respond to a better argument, with nonsense.

Let me know when you learn how to make a reasoned argument with actual premises and a conclusion.

PS – I’m a wolf, not a Lannister lion… ;)

34. BrownHabFan says:

Seriously????? Tinoridi sitting against the leafs? Wow Therrien…I really wonder what M.Bergevin thinks about this or is he dumb as Therrien?????

“I couldn’t really hear the words that Jeremy was saying because I got my 2 stanley cup rings plug in my ear”
    Patrick Roy

35. Psycho29 says:

Wow the Timo sky is falling routine is in fine form today stirring up the trolls!
    It’s like an episode of The Walking Dead!

“LOOK AT THE FLOWERS”

36. DipsyDoodler says:

The PQ are up in arms about Amir “Too Racist for the PQ” Khadir comparing Pauline Marois to Ayatollah Khomeini.

Infighting amongst the separatists. It’s so funny.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

• Mattyleg says:

Funny (sad) thing is that I’ll probably end up voting QS.
      Hochelaga-Maisonneuve is a PQ bastion, and the only thing that will shift whatserface would be Quebec Solidaire, with all the ‘Casserolistes’ living down here.

That being said, most of them probably aren’t registered/will be too lazy/are too ‘anarchist’ to vote.

37. Thomas Le Fan says:

Galchenyuk at centre? What an idea! That Mike Therrien’s a genius, I tell ya! Do you think that after seeing how well MacKinnon and Johanson play with more ice time, a light went on somewhere?

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

No Parros, no Prust, no White, no Tinordi. Leafs are going to have a field day in the Habs crease tomorrow and will be pounding on guys like Subban, Gallagher, Plekanec, Galchenyuk and Vanek with impunity. Therrien at his best…

• Kooch7800 says:

I would have sat Eller for White. I doubt there will be a lot of fights the game is to big in regards to standings. The leafs will want to stay out of the box as the habs have trouble scoring 5 on 5

• Mattyleg says:

We’ll have fun cruising past their lumbering defencemen as they try to start fights with us.

• Timo says:

Habs haven’t cruised past anyone in the recent while. Every time I see a race to the puck Habs player always loses. It is the case with supposedly fast skaters like Subban, Pleks, Briere, DD… nevermind stiffs like Bourque, Eller and Moen. Habs only hope is that Laffs D is even worse than Habs’ D and that Bernier is not starting tomorrow.

39. DipsyDoodler says:

I hate to say it but I don’t think we’re going to do very well in the playoffs.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

• Kooch7800 says:

This team isn’t built for clutch and grab hockey and that is the playoffs.

• The Jackal says:

Soooo after we beat the Avs we were gonna do alright, and now after a loss we are not? Sounds about right.

• DipsyDoodler says:

I should’ve posted it after the Avs win I guess. It has nothing to do with last night’s game which I missed, being at a concert.

That being said, one team we could meet in round one and perhaps beat is Pittsburgh.

—–
        Moving. Forward.

• The Jackal says:

Whaaaa? I’d stay away.
          TB is the team we can beat most easily, followed by the Leafs.
          I don’t think we are gonna do badly but it’s no secret that this team has many shortcomings.

40. Seda Moss says:

Chucky at centre is great. But Chucky at centre with two guys who can’t hit the side of a barn with a beach ball? Not so great.

• johnnylarue says:

I’ll admit it’s a pretty high-stakes/critical time of the season to be experimenting with Chucky at centre, especially considering he’s yet to win a face-off in the NHL…

I absolutely cannot stand the fact that Bouillon is back as a regular in the lineup. Un-effing-real. Tinordi may have made a mistake, but overall he played pretty well, especially on the penalty kill. Therrien is an idiot.

42. chilli says:

We can try every combination imaginable but this team will only go so far as long as Bourque, Gionta and Briere are in the lineup. Once we get rid of them, we will be in good shape to fill a real competitive roster.

Please keep Vanek.

And don’t give up on Eller. Remember when we gave up on LeClair WAYYYY too early. Two years later he was a 50+ goals, 97 pts player.

Players take time…. Guy Lafleur anyone? Took 4 years…..his goal totals went down for the first 3 seasons, ending at 21. His 4th season, 53 and what started six 50 goal seasons in a row.

Tre

43. Kooch7800 says:

Bad news about Prust but I can’t say I am shocked. I hope he does shut it down for the season and get stronger for next year. He is a good player when healthy but he is wearing down from all the fights and physical play.

Get well Prusty

44. BobbySmithWasClutch says:

Brutal news

45. tyshow89 says:

Maybe eller should try wing with chucky, cut bourque for bournaval or white at
    center

46. SC-24 says:

I said it before and I’m gonna say it again. A GM don’t get rid of players that’s good unless it’s a money thing or a team problem thing Eller is neither. No one believed me when he came to the Habs and there’s people that still don’t believe me. He’s overrated and a underachiever and he’ll never pay dividends for the Habs someone to get rid of in the off season but for the time being I would put him on the LW with Galchenyuk and Gionta. as bad as he is, I’m sure he’s as good as Bourque….

47. Luke says:

This Friday is seriously testing my limits.
    BUT it is Friday. And that’s good.
    I need one… just one… e-mail to come back in the affirmative and it’ll all fall into place. If not… well, I’ll be a sad (or furiously double stressed) camper.

I’m hopeful Bourque can contribute on that third line. I must admit to surprise to see Eller (elar?) on the fourth. I have been a pretty big critic of Eller this season, but I think I’ve been fair.
    I was going to suggest playing him on Galchenyuk’s left. Basically, just flipping them, but I think that it may be better to let Alex be the clear centre on that role. Old habits die hard and if they simply swapped positions with each other, the instincts may cause confusion.

I’d rather see Tinordi playing. I’ve been pleased with his play and effort. I’d rather see either Murray, Boullion or Weaver sitting.

Boullion and PK seem to play well enough together, so that’s probably the issue. Weaver brings more to the table than Murray, but what Murray brings is missing. He also brings a few things that some would prefer he leaves off the table entirely.

If Boo stays with PK, I might be inclined to try JT with Markov and either Weaver or Murray play with Emelin.

I don’t now for sure. I’m just spitballin’ here and hoping I get the right response to salvage my Friday… and Monday.
    (le sigh).

• twilighthours says:

The response you’re looking for is:

Time to grab a beer.

• Mattyleg says:

Dear Luke,

Sorry for the late reply, but my management team has spent the last couple of hours high-fiving each other over the last email you sent us.

Our simple answer to you:

A resounding ‘yes’ from me, my management team, our CEO, and our shareholders. We are unanimous in our affirmation.

You’re our Number One Guy, and we are happy as all get-out to be working with you.

Looking forward to liasing with you,

S. Pokesman,

Companycom

48. rhino514 says:

I don´t get it when they say “out for the regular season”. Why don´t they give a timetable with weeks out? How can they make a statement that effectively means he will be out for the regular season but not the playoffs?

• Luke says:

Because they are saying he won’t play in the regular season, regardless of when he gets healthy. They are shutting him down.
      They also expect that he’ll be ready for the playoffs, whenever they actually start (which is mildly flexible at this stage).

49. HabsPooch says:

Absolutely annoyed Beaulieu is not up with the Habs. Just mind boggling. …

50. Maritime Ronn says:

A BIG Salute to Brandon Prust!
    Get well soon, Brother.

After the 2010/11 season (Remember that Martin-Cunneyworth disaster?) the Habs were not only awful, yet were also completely Gutless and Soft from top to bottom.

Opposing teams coming to the Bell Centre had no respect for the team, and played the way they wanted with no fear of repercussions or being held accountable for cheap shots.

That year (2010-11), the Habs Home Record was 16-15-10.
    NO team in the NHL had less wins on Home Ice than the Habs that year!

Depending on the story one wishes to believe, the newly hired Coach MT showed up at Prust’s home with a Habs jersey and his name on the back of it… early on Day 1 of UFA free agency.

At that time, the Habs signed Prust for 4 years at $ 2.5M per year.
    Overpayment some (natural complainers) complained about.

What this man has brought to the Habs is worth so much more than that.

There has been some minor, irrlevent complaining about his fighting recently on HIO, yet Prust’s sacrifices for the team – allowing smaller guys to play bigger, is hard to quantify in dollar or performance terms.
    Hit a small guy? You need to answer to the Prust Bell.
    Mess with a skilled player? Same.

Prust has been a guy that turned this Habs franchise around from a sorry and pathetic pussycat team, to one that will not be pushed around when he is present.

51. D Mex says:

First to vote >>>
    Edit : it was 100% ‘ good guys ‘ until …

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

52. New says:

Pat Hickey wrote a nice article. One of the things he wrote was “Both teams needed points and it appeared that the Blue Jackets were hungrier.”

The next 11 games will show what the Habs are made of as most of the teams they face will be turning it up for positioning. In an ideal world the Canadiens take the points they need and coast into the playoffs, winning and losing for placement and opponent. In a less than ideal world some teams that have been loafing divide three points per game between them…leaving the Habs to scramble and hope.

Last night the team wasn’t on it’s game. But you know when Eller romped over the blue line he drew four, count em, four opponents. That allowed Briere and Gionta to be uncovered. One less bump on the ice, a little bit of frozen spit less, and we might be talking today about the 2-1 Eller set up that won the game. Instead Tinordi says he didn’t see the guy as he scrambled back for the puck. I’ll buy that and add that no one told him either.

They didn’t play well. Columbus didn’t either. But Columbus played better. They wanted the points and took them.

53. Bugs says:

Probably for the best.
    Now, my boy Ryan White is gonna kick some butt.
    And pop in a few killers.

Left turn-missin’ L. B. Potter.

54. habs_54321 says:

wow was it the shoulder again? i thought it was bruised ribs or something

55. Habcouver says:

Hoping the Habs are just resting Prusty for a long playoff run.
    We need a positive out of this news.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

56. Phil C says:

I guess we are stuck with the Subbouillon pairing until Gorges is back. Ay-yi-yi. With Weaver and Murray as the thrid pairing, I guess Markov and Emelin become the “reliable” pairing. I might have to consider Front’s approach to watching hockey and just numb the pain with alcohol.

57. arcosenate says:

you know, Bourque will probably reach down deep and put this team on his back, carry them through the end of the season and a deep playoff run.

Hey! Monkeys just started flying out of my butt.

58. RetroMikey says:

Yup, now we will say we won’t go far in the playoffs with Prust out…lmao!!!
    Yup, Eller, the most overrated player in the NHL. What a huge disappointment!
    I knew this soft Dane is not NHL calibre when we got shafted in the Halak deal! When will fans wake up and see we need big changers in this club?
    DD is way better than Eller on the C position .
    Lars is the one playing like a midget!
    Remember, we gave him ample time and patience with his development in the NHL.
    Next year, he will not be playing in the NHL!

• sudburyhabfan says:

Agreed. MB better not sign him again. see who he can trade for and spend the money on a what is available this summer

• New says:

Pittsburg, Boston, San Jose, St Louis, Columbus, Detroit and NJ would probably made a decent deal for Eller. Good for Eller, good for the Bulldogs, good for the gaining team.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

Thankfully “we” didn’t have any input into Ellers past or future….

• The Jackal says:

Isn’t there a Leafs board you should be on, ya dingus?

• chilli says:

Eller is not overrated in the NHL, he’s not even rated. Not a factor so I don’t know anyone that overrates him outside of our own rabid fans expectations.
      And of course DD is better. DD is our #1 center.
      But you are wrong in his assessment. He has shown flashes of what he can be and I’d like to see him play with players he meshes with…like the kid line that was our best line early on. By FAR.
      I’m sure you were one that felt John LeClair had maxed out at 20+ goals and 50 points when we gave up on him WAYYYY too early. Two years later he had 50+ goals and 97 its.

Tre

59. Mavid says:

bummer…gut check time…

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

60. Habcouver says:

Two non-Hab comments from yesterday:

1) Oilers Luke Gadzig is a beast. Habs need an enforcer.
    2) While in the penalty box, Cory Conacher wearing John Scott’s helmet was a good laugh.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

61. Paz says:

Someone please explain how Galchenyuk will work well with Bourque (virtually off the team for lack of effort), and Gionta (virtually off the team because he can no longer contribute offensively).

I’m no hockey guru, but I think if I had a year to try I could not come up with a worse combination of piss poor forwards for a talented young centerman.

Looking forward to reading any logical explanations.

• Les-Habitants says:

Moving Gally to center I think is combo of Eller’s struggles and seeing how Gally can handle the assignment in ‘playoff-like’ hockey. Gio is a good player for that line, his production is akin to a strong 3rd line player (which would be a fair assessment), plus he is smart with the puck and great defensively. With Prust out, and if you want to keep Eller at C, you have to either put Rene back in or move Weise/Moen up, forcing White to play wing

My take is that they are trying to see how this works out, and hoping they can get Rene going (who was, what feels like eons ago, a beast with CGY). I imagine that when Bournival is healthy again, Rene will be back in the pressbox unless he actually starts playing

• Paz says:

It won’t last more than 10 minutes.

• Les-Habitants says:

No argument here. But can’t blame MT for trying (or I guess you can haha). Rene can be a hell of a player, plus MT doesn’t want to break up his 4th line too much as they’ve been awesome for us. But if Rene sucks and Bournival is still working out the kinks in the AHL, then my bet is Weise/Eller go to the third, and White draws back in.

• The Jackal says:

Alright and what are the 6/49 numbers?

62. sudburyhabfan says:

That definitely is bad news.

This team has to start stepping it up and keep it up for their playoff run. Way too hard to try and just do that at the start of the playoffs.

I really hope that Montreal can sign Vanek this year. Minnesota has a pretty hefty payroll which may make it difficult for them to go for Vanek.

63. sCOTT1243 says:

Wow that sucks. Even our tough guys are soft…lol

Tired of the endless injuries from this team close to playoff season. Prust took on the role of enforcer when others could have also stepped up. YES I am calling you out Moen. Guys cry about having a guy like Parros in the line up, but this is exactly why you want a guy like this so that your, 3rd and fourth line tough guys/decent hockey players do not get hurt…..fawwwwwwkkk.

64. kalevine says:

horrible, only the most optimistic could think that this team could have any sort of a playoff run without Prust in peak form

Edit: Great! They are saving him for the playoffs!

65. jimmy shaker says:

Well that’s just dandy……gorges and prust are big losses. Will need those guys going forward. And to Pricer……can u please come up with a donut against these pukes. Man I hate taranna. Would love to see PK demolish JVR as well!

Shaker out!

66. Gerry H says:

So Galchenyuk finally gets his shot at centre. Looking forward to that.

67. Hobie Hansen says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

68. scrotchland says:

this prust injury is all that buffoon therians fault. playing him too much and putting him in the position where he has to fight too often.,
    hopefully jeff molson will fire mt and mb in the off season.

69. Maksimir says:

Double crap… Bernier & Bolland might in for Saturday.

• jimmy shaker says:

don’t you know, everyone always makes there return to the ice against the habs. It’s in the rule book. Not worried too much about bolland. Bernier is the one to look for. He either is rusty or stands on his head. Usually when he’s on, he makes upwards of 40+ saves a night. So, the game plan for the boys, has to be for bernier to be rusty and only have about 33 shots on him. That should result in a big W.

Shaker out!

70. Strummer says:

proverbial upper body injury

____________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

71. ooder says:

bournival not bourque please

72. Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

Saw this coming.

73. Maksimir says:

please not Bourque… would rather have Bournival.

74. arcosenate says:

Awesome, hello Rene Bourque.

75. Les-Habitants says:

He played 38/48 games, then 82/82 over the two before.

76. The Jackal says:

Always good to check facts before suggesting a player retire.

77. Body_of_Price_Repels_You says:

He’ll be 52/82 by the end of the year. He’s missed about 30% of the games over the past 2 seasons.

I’m hoping it’s just a down year but he has looked injury plagued, even when playing, over the last two seasons.

The worst is that Therrien is here for few more years, Stormy. Which means Habs will continue to bounce in the first round and be a perennial middle of the puck never get within a sniff of the cup team.

79. The Jackal says:

You just don’t get it lol

80. johnnylarue says:

He out-coached Roy two games ago.

Just sayin’…

81. The Jackal says:

wat?

82. Strom Man says:

You got it right there brother! MT is the biggest loser!!!

83. Mattyleg says:

U mad bro?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

There are few things that are certain in this world. But one thing is for sure – Therrien will be introduced as a head coach first game next season… head coach of Mtl Canadiens, very sadly.

85. johnnylarue says:

Conceptual! I like it.

86. Thomas Le Fan says:

Did he now? Or did the team simply outplay the Avs despite him?

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

I would rather something heavy hit Therrien on the head.

88. mrhabby says:

funny..when MT left Pittsburgh Crosby said he was great with teaching younger players..

89. The Jackal says:

Did someone delete your reply button or do you just like to spam?

90. Habfan29 says:

what is wrong with calling Orr a goon????

91. johnnylarue says:

The incredibly perceptive Marc Denis was quick to point out that the Habs clearly altered their strategy for gaining the Avs blue line in the second period–i.e. testing their defence squad by placing pucks just behind them (rather than dumping in) and forcing them to commit errors on their ensuing pivots.

Ça, c’est le ‘coaching’.

92. frontenac1 says:

Nothing. I like goons.

93. CH Marshall says:

LMAOOOO!!! He sits round a makeshift fire with DD roasting marshmallows

94. johnnylarue says:

My man, you need a nap and/or a pina colada in the worst way.

95. Mattyleg says:

Hey Stormy, stop trying to pick fights.
    You’re posting from your phone, and it’s making your posts look silly, isolated, and irrelevant.

Either say something that we can discuss, or take a minute to simmer down.

96. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

Thanks for being you, Tim.

97. frontenac1 says:

Crankshaft,Parros and tell Moener if he doesn’t get Nasty pronto, he’s scratched.

98. Strom Man says:

I agree brother!

99. Habsrule1 says:

How about the Habs just out-skate them? It wouldn’t be the 1st time. How about the Habs make the leafs draw penalties and Vanek score a couple on the power play? That’s a pretty good answer.

Go Habs Go!!

100. Luke says:

Actually, I don’t think the Leafs are icing a goon squad any more.

McClaren was waived & now in the AHL, I think Orr is out, Fraser was traded.

They have the rat in Kadri, they have Clarkson who very well may be the dumbest player in the NHL, the have the dim bulb in Phaneuf.

Those guys might muck about, but I don’t think the big scary Leafs you are so worried about actually exist anymore.

Bodie?
    Bolland may be back. He’s a tough piece of work… so is Gleason

But yah… on D:
    Franson, Reilly, Gardiner, Gunnarson, Phaneuf & Gleason.

C:
    Bozak, Kadri, McClement, Bolland/Holland
    LW:
    JvR, Raymond, Kulimen, ?Smith? RANGER! They’ve been using 7 D.
    RW:
    Kessel, Clarkson, Lupul, Bodie (?)

Wouldn’t call that a goon squad at all.

101. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

That’s for your participation, Tim.

102. Luke says:

Oh, I know that MT knows that Frankie is a vet.

103. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

Thanks for posting that, Tim.

104. Luke says:

‘Suppose, because as a coach at the highest level of hockey, MT teams win more often than they lose.

So there’s that part…

105. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

Thanks for your post, Tim.

106. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

Thanks for posting, Tim.

107. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

It’s all about the participation, Tim.

108. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

Thanks for participating, Tim.

109. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

Thanks for your opinion, Tim.

110. bwoar says:

Bah, scratch the bum. This ain’t Hamilton, you can’t make that mistake.

I said this before, but: The meme of “ruining young players” or “bringing along young players” is tossed around on this site far too often. These guys, coaches included, are paid to WIN GAMES, not develop hockey players. Development is not an NHL project. Development is for development leagues. Winning is the only thing that matters in the NHL. Every night the coach is under scrutiny and must come up with a win or be able to justify his failure to his boss.

So frankly I give a crap what MT does with his young players. Play ‘em, bench ‘em, take a dump on ‘em, lick chocolate sprinkles off their toes, just win the flippin’ games and those who belong on the ice will be there.

Anything else is a fantasyland interpretation of what an NHL coaching job entails and utterly disconnected from reality.

111. Mattyleg says:

Why do you think that MT is punishing Tinordi for making a mistake?
    Don’t you think he’s just playing what he considers his best players?

112. Strom Man says:

@ Stormy : GRRRRRRR YES!! Tell it like its is my friend! Don’t sugar coat it!!!

113. formerly known as the hc says:

Is he being punished, or is the kid taking this overly hard and needs a day to sort things out? Just asking/sayin…

-The beatings will conmtinue until morale improves-

114. wjc says:

Only 15 mistakes, man you are not even trying. Hockey is a game of mistakes, without mistakes there is no game.

wjc

115. The Jackal says:

Also, so what if he is sitting – maybe sitting a game and watching from a different perspective will help Tinner – who is to say that it is a punishment and not part of his development?

116. The Jackal says:

He is the Cube, he has four sides per face, so he is definitely in the top 4.

117. Luke says:

OH, Is that the only criteria for being a good coach?

Because Getzlaf has never won a scoring title, so by that same logic, he must not be a very good NHL player, right?

Therrien wins more games than he loses. Meaning, he defeats more NHL coaches than defeat him.

That he hasn’t WON a cup is irrelevant.

I do like that you qualified with an “at this level” though, take that Memorial Cup win away. Arguably a more difficult championship to win than a Stanley Cup.

118. wjc says:

Plenty of coaches haven’t won a cup, so what?

wjc

119. Thomas Le Fan says:

We believe what we choose to believe, I suppose. Therrien has done nothing, that I’ve seen, that makes me think he will out-coach anyone on a regular basis.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

120. Mattyleg says:

I don’t think that’s what he’s saying.
    He’s just saying that you and Timo are both Calgarians and you’re angry.
    Nothing about how little you know.

You point that out to us yourself, so there’s no point in belabouring it.

121. DipsyDoodler says:

All that money and you’re still angry.

Have you ever thought about that?

Reflected on it?

—–
    Moving. Forward.

122. wjc says:

I am late to the party, what exactly has you so riled up, just askin is all?

wjc

123. Mattyleg says:

No, icing a good, competitive team matters in Montreal.

124. Luke says:

Storm, you really need to figure out the reply feature. Your posts are too disconnected. Or at least tag an @Luke (or whoever you are replying to) at the start.
    If you are on a mobile, switch to the internet browser instead of the app, and view the desktop site.

Winning a Cup is not the only thing that matters. It is the End Goal.

Has your company ever won an award for being the “Top XYZ in the World”?
    If it hasn’t, does that make you a poor “whatever your job” is?

Therrien has been nominated for the Jack Adams award in the past, and could very well have been nominated again last year. Perhaps in the fringe of the discussion this year as well.

125. wjc says:

Actually, profits are the most important thing, without profits you have no team, you have no NHL.

The NHL is structured so everyone shares in the profits at the end of the year regardless if you miss the playoffs or not.

14 teams are guaranteed to miss the playoffs, that is how it is structured. Profits are the most important thing to a business.

Sports and entertainment is the thing that brings in the money by putting on a good memorable show.

wjc

126. UKRAINIANhab says:

There is a reply button. …Incase you forgot…

127. Luke says:

Unless they win the “Best Land Acquiring and Drilling Company trophy” every year, you aren’t good at your job.

In the The Land Acquiring and Drilling Company only thing that matters in business is profit, and unless your company makes the largest profit in the world, you aren’t good at your job.

That’s what you are saying to MT.

The industries don’t equate, no. But your attitude towards them does.

128. habcertain says:

don’t see MT with a nomination. maybe we have gone too long without a cup which tends to dampen expectations, but storm man is right, the Habs are measured in terms of Cups.

129. DipsyDoodler says:

Jesus – you want to make it easier for him to post?

—–
    Moving. Forward.

130. habcertain says:

why are Calgarian’s angry?

131. wjc says:

Timo, is not from anywhere, he is a figment of someone’s imagination, you can guess who.

wjc

If that’s the case, it’s not what Habs had for the past 20 years either.

133. Luke says:

2007. MT was nominated for the Jack Adams.
    He was in the discussion last year. And arguably could be this year as well.

If you are solely measuring the Habs, or any professional team in terms of championships, than prepare to be disappointed.

The Yankees were founded in 1901. They have won 27 Championships. They have not won 85 times. (75% of the time)
    The Habs were founded in 1909. They have won 24 Championships. They have not won 80 times.

You are basing your expectations on something they fail to do 77% of the time.

Whose expectations & measurements are out of whack?

134. Hobie Hansen says:

Luke, please stop replying to him so he eventually gets bored and goes away. We hope so anyway.

135. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Exactly. If he is too stubborn to listen to posters who are trying to help him, then he does not deserve to be replied to.

136. Luke says:

Understood.

Apologies. You are right Hobie.

(This was basically the online version of my office today to, for the record.)

137. Say Ash says:

What’s hard wear?

138. Luke says:

(Googled some, but it’s way off topic so I’m ending it).

But I do want to state that I’m not calling into question your ability to conduct successful business. That’d be unfair and foolish.

I am only calling into question your belief that the only thing that matters is being at the absolute top of your profession on a yearly basis. You must account for competitors in the market also reaching towards the same goal.

139. Ozmodiar says:

shhhhh!!

tell him the link he’s looking for is ‘under there’.

140. johnnylarue says:

I’m guessing… strap-on?

141. Dunboyne Mike says:

(you are a gem, JL.)

142. habcertain says:

ok, that’s funny

143. Dunboyne Mike says:

(having just skimmed the thread and been put off joining in, you make me hit the keyboard. Face sore.)

144. habcertain says:

I like it when posters try out their therapeutic powers, makes it a special place, don’t you think.

145. wjc says:

Run on sentences anyone.

wjc

146. johnnylarue says:

Some days, HI/O is like a game of beach volleyball–minus, mercifully, the tiny sports bikinis.

147. wjc says:

Is that you Boone, is that you Timo…..Storm Man, great name.

The angry poster, the sarcastic poster, the nasty poster.

wjc

148. Dunboyne Mike says:

(still haven’t stopped smiling — post of the day in a kind of non-PC throwing-stones-at-the-V.I. kind of way) (and the V.I. not noticing).

149. habcertain says:

the fans. if you erase time since ’93, the numbers look much better and that era of fans created large expectations, since I’m from that era, whether the Habs go 1,2 or 3 rounds is irrelevant, it is about taking it all. I think expectations of iconic franchises with a winning history are always high, do Canadian people expect or settle for anything less than Gold Medals?

150. habcertain says:

you are the man! keep on truck’in

151. Dunboyne Mike says:

Once you go REPLY BUTTON, ya never go back, baby!

152. The Jackal says:

There goes my theory….

153. scamorza says:

Ok 5 minutes each for fighting not sure who gets the extra 2 for instigating :-) geez Louise guys it’s Friday evening have some fun have a drink like the rest of us!

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

154. Chris says:

I’ll admit it…I LOL’ed.

155. UKRAINIANhab says:

You learned to reply!!!!!!! Whooooppp!!!!!!

156. jlgib1019 says:

I agree. Habs’ brass have the greatest hockey minds. That’s why we have more small players than the ENTIRE 14 team West Conf.

jr

157. jlgib1019 says:

He s probably sick of Mrs Therrien and Mrs Bergevin backing up their husbands over any criticism

jr

158. UKRAINIANhab says:

You have said this to at least 10 people today. Think of something else…

159. Chris says:

Tim, you’ve been popping off like an angry muppet with roid rage issues all day. What did you want me to reply? There is no point debating it, as your post there makes it abundantly clear that there can be no debate or discussion.

You think I am an arrogant “stats guy” who “has never played sports in his life” and isn’t a “true fan” like you. I clearly have no idea what it is to be a Habs fan.

When you lead with that kind of material, is it any wonder that I have no interest in playing ball? I could discuss it point for point, and we perhaps agree to disagree. But that isn’t your M.O. on this site. It is all or nothing.

So no, I quite frankly have no interest whatsoever in engaging in a pissing match with you. So I laughed. What else can I do?

160. Mavid says:

hahahahaha

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

161. Storman says:

It only took you 11 years to learn how to use reply feature,, well done good for you

162. Lafleurguy says:

Zing, scorch, scrotchland.

163. frontenac1 says:

Don’t let it get to you amigo. I like your stuff.

164. D Mex says:

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

165. CharlieH24 says:

Can you hire me as a roughneck? I’m gonna be graduating university in a couple months and want to do something to make some $$$ for a year or two. And of course we can have endless talks about Habs-related stuff :)

Good stuff man. I used to work for a guy who was friends with someone who basically was buying dormant wells… those that were abandoned 30-40 years ago. These well have all re-saturated by now and he is making about 10K every morning before he even puts his sleepers on. Not too shabby if you ask me. They are always looking for investors but the entry price tag is a tad expensive for me. Maybe when I win a couple of mil.

167. CharlieH24 says:

No I have not, but I am not unfamiliar with hard labour…being a Painter would be great, I can only move up from there right?

168. CJ says:

Good point. He generally gets it right (Vanek), it just takes time. I just hope we figure out the defence before the last game of the regular season.

169. habstrinifan says:

“I like Boulion too…..he is a warrior. But so was Chelios, Robinson, Ludwig…………see any of them playing top two minutes with Subban tonight. No, because they are retired……..and Boulion will be joining them in a month.”

A great argument is a great argument. It trumps humming-and-hawing subjectivity.

This is a great argument.

170. CJ says:

I agree Scotland. Our inability to provide our young players an opportunity to grow and develop will hurt us going forward. We can limp into the playoffs, but is this the team we really want? I don’t want a playoff birth and maybe one round win, I want a Stanley cup. We aren’t getting there with the 35 and over crowd. Amazingly, there are many among us who want to resign these players.