Habs’ Prust out for rest of regular season; Galchenyuk moves to centre

The Canadiens practised Friday morning in Brossard before heading to Toronto to face the Maple Leafs Saturday night (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

And there was some bad news as the team announced that forward Brandon Prust will miss the remainder of the regular season with an upper-body injury. The regular season ends for the Canadiens on April 12.

In 52 games this season, Prust has 6-7-13 totals with 121 penalty minutes and was minus-1.

Coach Michel Therrien told reporters after practice that the club’s medical team decided it would be best if Prust didn’t play for the rest of the regular season, giving him a chance to heal and be 100 per cent for the playoffs.

Alex Galchenyuk was moved to centre during the practice with Brian Gionta and Rene Bourque, who has missed five games as a healthy scratch. Lars Eller was dropped to the fourth line with Travis Moen and Dale Weise.

Therrien said he wanted to see a lot of intensity from Bourque when he gets back in the lineup.

“Will it be tomorrow? Will it be the next game? I don’t know yet,” Therrien said.

Galchenyuk is looking forward to getting a shot at centre.

“I want to establish myself as a great centreman in this league,” the 20-year-old said. “I’m still really young, but I’ve still got a long way to go. I want to make a step in the right direction. And I’m really looking forward to tomorrow’s game.”

Therrien cautioned against banking on all the adjustments he made to the lines at Friday’s practice.

As for Saturday’s game in Toronto, Therrien said: “It’s a big game every time we play the Leafs. Those are emotional games. And we’re getting to that crunch. Both teams are fighting to make the playoffs. There are a lot of teams in our situation and so tomorrow won’t be any different.  I’m expecting a tight- checking game, a demanding game to play. They’re fun games to be part of.”

Here’s how the lines and defence pairings looked at Friday’s practice:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Vanek
Brière-Plekanec-Gallagher
Bourque-Galchenyuk-Gionta
Moen-Eller-Weise
White-Parros

Bouillon-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Murray-Weaver
Tinordi

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

Habs vs. Leafs preview, NHL.com

Prust could return for playoffs, by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell

Vanek deal looking good for Habs, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Eller slips to fourth line, Hickey on Hockey Notebook

Alex in the middle, Canadiens.com

Post-practice interviews (video), Canadiens.com

Hard-working Blue Jackets hang loss on Canadiens, by Pat Hickey

Tinordi’s slip was the difference, by Pat Hickey

RDS’s Marc Denis played 266 games with Blue Jackets, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Habs vs. Blue Jackets photo gallery, montrealgazette.com

Get to know Thomas Vanek (video), Canadiens.com

Bernier, Bolland participate in full Leafs practice, Toronto Star

Leafs need to forget Reimer-gate, Toronto Sun

Leafs trying to regroup, montrealgazette.com

A preview of ‘Strombo’ on Hockey Night in Canada? Stu on Sports blog

Ovechkin could finish season with NHL’s worst plus/minus, Stu on Sports blog

(Videos by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell)

1. Psycho29 says:

Thanks to everyone who posted replies about getting tickets in Tampa. Much Appreciated! ;-)

2. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

This is a critical game for the Leafs. With 3 losses in a row, Bernier hurt and Carlyle trashing Reimer, they can go into a bad tailspin if the lose tonight. With Detroit, Columbus, New York and Philly playing so well, the Leafs could miss the playoffs with a slump now. Hopefully the Habs will show a killer instinct and try to put a nail in the Leafs’ coffin tonight.

3. boing007 says:

@UkrainianHab
    Did you hear about this attack on the TV station in Kiev?

Richard R

4. UKRAINIANhab says:

Ok, Leafs are our true rival! I get way more pumped up for a Habs vs Leafs game over Habs vs Bruins. Anyone else with me!?

5. Lafleurguy says:

@Dunboyne
    I liked Pete Lavarato of the Eskimos better than Rhino. Both had a nose for the ball.

6. SC-24 says:

If anyone thinks this is gonna be a cake walk for the Habs had better think again. This is gonna be offense verses defense and we’ll see how it turns out. possible overtime or shootout win!!

I must have missed those posts, haven’t seen anyone post it will be a cakewalk. Over the past 10 seasons it seems like whenever Montreal vs Toronto it is a 1 goal game, regardless of either teams place in the standings.

I am hoping for a 4-1 win, but am expecting a 1 goal differential, most likely with the gimmick deciding the game.

7. Psycho29 says:

I posted this yesterday….
    The first week of April I’ll be in Florida for a week of golf with 3 buddies.
    The Habs play in Tampa that week, anyone been to a game there? Are we better off buying tickets on line or from a scalper before the game???

8. Psycho29 says:

Bernier out tonight

Chantal Machabee ‏@ChantalMachabee·4 mins

“Jonathan Bernier n’est pas encore à 100% donc pas disponible pour le match de ce soir. ”
    -Randy Carlyle

9. habs_54321 says:

I’m on my phone so can’t reply directly too posters for some reason, but regarding clarkson in Toronto I wouldn’t write him off as a failure equivalent of Gomez, at least not till after the playoffs he is the type of player that can shine in tight checking situations like Bryan bickell Claude lemieux etc but be more or less a non factor in the r.s. also don’t forget not everything is in the stat sheet a lot of Toronto goals have been score with clarkson parked in front of the net although you won’t see this on any stat sheet, Gallagher is similar in that he may be on pace for 40 points but how many goals have resulted from invaluable won battles in front of the net or in a corner ?

10. piter says:

Really nice goal by Liverpool. 1-1

11. frontenac1 says:

Bet my Leaf fan buddy a pint on tonight’s game. He doesn’t have a good feeling about the game. He can’t stand Phaneuf or PK. I asked him would you want PK on your team. He said “absolutely”! And please take Phaneuf!

Got all my bets in order last night D, fortunate enough to be attending game tonight, don’t want to have that walk of shame again leaving the ACC in a Habs sweater after a loss to the Leaves.

• frontenac1 says:

Enjoy the game Burly. Any Walkabouts planned after the game?

• HabFab says:

Enjoy the game Gerald.

• Habfan10912 says:

Will it be the “Rocket” jersey this evening?

• Mavid says:

Lucky you enjoy..I have had the pleasure of attending a Habs/Leaf game at the ACC a couple of years ago..had amazing seats just a few rows up from the players. It was a heritage night they honored all the greats from both teams with a nice montage on the jumbotron. I really liked the ACC nice building, great restaurants..loved that little brewery they have all encased in glass. The atmosphere was great..lots of Habs fans in the house. I found the Leaf fans to be well behaved..my hubby wore his Sens jersey and booed both teams..everyone around us had a good chuckle at that..On our way out there was a homeless man sitting by a pillar..he looks up at my hubby and says “hey man do you know your not in Ottawa!” we lost in a shootout..but it was still a great time..enjoy!

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• KS says:

I’m with you on that. My son moved to Toronto in January and managed to land tickets for tonight. This is his first game as an “away fan”. Hope he survives!

12. 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Morning Tout Les Gars,

I wouldn’t get too worked up over Frankie B being paired with PK and Eller on the 4th line. FB will still only play 4th minutes as PK will get all the PP time and possibly some on the kill.

For Eller, this isn’t a demotion – on the contrary it is a promotional re-alignment that if works, will last through the playoffs.

Since Weise joined, the Habs seemed to be more of a roll 4 lines team and that is what you need to compete in the playoffs. Eller will get plenty of time on the PK and if he looks like he has it tonight, may see up to 17 minutes.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• docketrocket says:

I agree that the 4th line won’t hurt Eller and that Eller may do well there. He has a good faceoff record and he is strong. Maybe it will get him going. And we could use 4 good lines. More worried about
      Galchenyuk, but he did play well last game and he deserves a try.

• Kythehabsfan says:

Not worried about Cube if his minutes are maintained somewhat. The Weise addition had been nice. I have liked White’s intensity and play of late and him and Weise play well together; but MT would have to sit Moen to have them play together with the centres in this arrangement and that ain’t gonna happen.

13. Dunboyne Mike says:

Ain’t nothing like game day, Hab vs Leafs.
    Well pumped already. Despite that, must cook dinner. Must. Feed. Kids.

14. L Elle says:

Does it have to be love or hate?

I don’t hate MT or want to feel like a crow circling. Can’t it be that I just think he’s not a great coach, but only OK, to quote the great Kitty.

When you have a great team, with great players and leadership, the coach becomes secondary. When you have a good team, such as ours, with good and only 2 great players, at the present time, coaching decisions become crucial. This is not Ma and Pa’s corner store where they hire their son to work, just because. Cube is an excellent human being and teammate, but the hockey has been filtered out of him for a while now. How is PK supposed to succeed with him as a line mate?

For our team to succeed, they need to play close to perfect games, even with otherworldly goaltending. Unfortunately, for Therrien, he needs to be perfect. Yes, a tall order, but he just isn’t.

You can count me in as one of the Cup-or-bust-crowd. I am very patient if I am seeing progress. Again, not to hate on Therrien, but what the heck is going on with Chucky? Every young high draft pick is taking control of their teams. Our youth are sheltered and/or punished, to a point of playing scared and disoriented.

Not a recipe for success. imho

I can endorse this post, primarily as you refuse to get into those extreme Cat calls. ;-)

• Habfan10912 says:

I think your description on MT is bang on. I mentioned this morning that I was disappointed that he doesn’t put Tinordi back on the horse tonight and shows the kid that he believes.

As for Galchenyuk, I’ve been advocating for Galchenyuk at center for months. Am I the only one curious as to why we wait to game 70 to do this instead of game 20?

BTW – Good morning L, Burly.

• Old Bald Bird says:

You nailed it: “Every young high draft pick is taking control of their teams. Our youth are sheltered and/or punished, to a point of playing scared and disoriented.” Even guys with lots of experience already, like PK, are not trusted and let loose. Although is there evidence that is changing with PK?

15. DipsyDoodler says:

A friend was joking that Clarkson was the Leafs’ Gomez.

But it isn’t close.

Gomez had 59 points his first season as a Hab (really? yes, really). Clarkson is on pace for 15. If he goes on a tear.

(And I apologize in advance if he goes on to score tonight.)

—–
    Moving. Forward.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Thanks for that apology — because if Clarkson DOES score, it will be completely and utterly your fault.

If I find myself abusing you later, I will tone it down a little because of your pre-emptive apology.

Well played.

There is no doubt that he has been a complete bust to this point. Leafs did overpay (primarily with term), having said that, his age is in his favour.

He needs to play better, Carlyle needs to find a way to use him better. But if, and it is a big IF at this point, he plays a strong playoffs for him, all can be forgiven.

If playing well, he is exactly the kind of player a team needs in the playoffs.

Question is, can he turn it around? He was a very effective player for New Jersey.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Was he that good or did he have one good season? He had that one 30 goal season , but for the rest of his career he has 50 goals in 400 games.

—–
        Moving. Forward.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

YIKES!!!!
          Nice scouting there, Toronto!

Either he sucks or he’s mega, mega due!

He only needs to score 20 goals a year to be a highly effective forward who can play 200 feet, and provide grit and heavy forecheck.

Problem is they are paying him like he should score 30+ every season.

• Phil C says:

This is what happens when you worship at the MOAR BIGGER altar. The hockey gods punish you.

16. Mr_MacDougall says:

Habs PK is lethal!

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

17. Lafleurguy says:

Over the past two seasons, I liked the offensive thrust that comes from the Gionta-Bourque pairing; usually good for a goal-post or two. Eller could conceivably up his productivity when paired with linemates who are more physical in their game. He looked good with Prust. Lined-up with Moen and Wiese, he may find his game. Folks may be a weenie bit worried about losing to the Leafs, or may just be a weenie (for JF).

18. 416erHabsFan says:

I think MT is throwing Galchenyuk to the wolves with Bourque and Gionta as his linemates. At least give the kid a chance with some decent wingers.

19. docketrocket says:

When is Beaulieu’s detention over?

20. habs_54321 says:

Really you would take konopka over ovechkin? Is konopka even in the NHL still?

21. Psycho29 says:

FYI, Habs-Soviets 1975 New Years Eve game is on ESPN Classic Canada right now…

22. SPATS says:

A lot of speculation here about being bullied tonight. Not gonna happen.

This is playoff hockey and with the Leafs likely starting with an injured Bernier or a underwhelming Reimer, Carlyle will be preaching discipline as our PP has awoken with Vanek.

Watch for a fast pace and tight checking game. It’s gonna be a close one, but I like our chances due to our huge advantage in goaltending.

OOH AAH HABS ON THE WARPATH – Dutchy rules!

23. howiemorenz7 says:

MT can’t help himself, he has to muck with the lines the minute one guy goes missing, Prust goes out, bam, move Chuck to C, dump Larry to the 4th line, oh, and yank JT because he made a boo boo, so now, line 4 guys have to get used to Larry (and vice-versa, have Weise and Larry played together before?) Chucky needs to remember where to be and when as a C, and we have bag-skate-refrigerator Murray trying to stop Kessel and JVR. Coach of the year … in the AHL

Maroons Suck. #7 foreva.

• SPATS says:

Ever the eternal optimist when it comes to Larry, I believe this will be a very good 4th line.

Larry plays his best with Moe, remember when AK46 was their 3rd?

That was a pretty solid line for a while. I called them the 3 stooges:
      Larry, Moe and Kurly

Now we have 2 stooges and Mrs Jefferson

Larry, Moe and Weezie ;-)

OOH AAH HABS ON THE WARPATH – Dutchy rules!

• Kythehabsfan says:

Moving Chucky to C is long overdue. I like Eller but having him centre the 3rd has been in Chucky’s way.

Don’t like sitting JT, letting him ponder on that single play longer is not the healthiest thing for his dev. Plus, that leaves us starting 3 guys who are #7 D’s in our lineup tonight.

24. habs001 says:

The Habs D better be ready today as i believe the Leaf forwards will be bringing a lot of speed…The PK has to be huge alsoa s the Leafs will be very dangerous on the PP…

25. habs001 says:

If Habs lose in the first round again you would have to believe that the Habs would have to do major changes by getting rid of at least 6-8 veterans…..Without any free agent signings the Habs forward situation does not look very optimistic for next year…Galchenyuk is the big hope that he takes the next step…Does not look like the Habs have any forwards in the organization that can make the forwards roster next year…

• Loop_Garoo says:

I’m hoping most of all for a influx of young talent on D, and if not Vanek, another first liner (Moulsen??) to replace. If we can do that, and ditch one or two veteran forwards, and add one or two third or fourth line players with bit more youth, I think we will be ok. There are a lot of really good parts, but we have to find a way out from under Bourque’s contract, use that money, and have gionta sign for less or go. Love Gionta’s heart and effort and would take him back at much less money for a third line role, but that’s it.

26. Mr_MacDougall says:

A lot of veteran character missing with Prust and Gorges out..

I thought Gio was flying against Clb, great on the PK and back checking..

Is Galchnyuk ready or has Eller played his way out of the top 9?

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

27. habstrinifan says:

I see Ovechkin’s stat in Washington and what must surely be a difficult stage in his career. Something in my gut(nothing ‘sensible’) tells me that one team Ovechkin would jump at playing for is the HABS… and that he would have a good ‘rebirth’ here.

Indulge in a bit of silliness.

If you could get Ovechkin or sign Vanek?. Which do you do?

• Paz says:

You know all the crap that people believe about Subban, Trini? All the bs that is not true, never has been, and never will be.

It’s all true about Ovechkin.

• habstrinifan says:

I agree.

• The Jackal says:

Hey Paz, don’t doubt your passion for the Habs and all things PK, but how do you know none of what was ever said never had an ounce of truth and that all the stuff about Ovi is true?

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

You’re right to ask that, J, because most of us are guilty of generalising a bit. Surely the truth lies somewhere between. Ed can answer for himself, but to me it reads like he’s saying that the media extrapolates, exaggerates, fabricates etc, the intensity of which is in direct proportion with the star quality of the player.

I’d take him in a heartbeat. I think he and PK are buds. (Or maybe the media generated that….)

• Mr_MacDougall says:

If I could pick a single player to join the Habs I doubt Ovi makes the top 10.

Crosby, Toews, Doughty, Giroux, Getzlaf, Perry, Stamkos, Mackinnon, Pieterangelo, Konopka

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• joeybarrie says:

Ovechkin will never leave DC, except maybe to Russia.
      Plus he isn’t a player I want. When the Caps had guys like Green playing his best, Fleischman, Semin, Knuble, Backstrom, and laich they were dangerous in many different aspects. But they cut their captain and gave it to Ovie. Since then he is the one they rely on.
      you may look at his goals and salivate for a 50 goal scorer. But his plus minus this season explains a different story. The value of his goals and the way the caps play to score them hurt the team more than people notice.
      He takes an amazing amount of shots and that comes at a very high price. Its not a sustained pressure and coming back he often loses his man. In order for him to be free to shoot and play the way he wants, his defensive side is poor.
      The curse of Ovchekin. No thank you on Ovie.
      I would prefer two 30 goal scorers who don’t have a -30 plus minus.

• Paz says:

I completely agree.

• The Jackal says:

Gotta disagree here about Ovi.
        He’s much maligned ever since that one poor season he had, and as usual, rumours abound as to why and what and how he hurts the team.
        It’s total BS that he hurts the Caps – that team would be nowhere without him. When Green was playing his best? Well why don’t they tell Green to shape up and play at that level again? Same with the others.
        Ovi’s plus/minus is terrible but that’s a very unreliable stat that is very random.

Historically, Ovi has been a positive possession player, when he is on the ice the Caps score more, have the puck more often, have more scoring chances, and are in the O zone more than when Ovi is NOT on the ice – very helpful player to have. He should indeed try to pas more, and the Caps rely on him way too much, but that team lacks forward depth, the D is worse than ours, and their goaltending has not been good in years.
        There are many problems with that team but Ovi is not one of them.

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• tophab says:

who would want a 50 or a 60 goal scorer on their team?

• SPATS says:

With the way Geopolitics is headed, don’t be surprised if Ovie and many others bolt to the KHL

OOH AAH HABS ON THE WARPATH – Dutchy rules!

28. lucabrasi says:

anyone know what kind of cost per ticket I’d be looking at if I were to find a scalper for tonight’s game in Toronto?

I’m a Dude, playin’ a Dude, disguised as another Dude!

• CJ says:

Last game I went to I paid $650 American for a pair of golds.

Singles are always much cheaper. $200 would get you a very good seat. Just be careful if you get something in the Blues. There are obstructed view seats by the pressbox.

• lucabrasi says:

I don’t really care about the obstructed view. I just want to be there and soak in the atmosphere of what’s going to be a huge win for Les Boys!

I’m a Dude, playin’ a Dude, disguised as another Dude!

• CJ says:

Get a single blue ticket. There are usually guys around on Front st. I’ve bought in front of the Royal York and at union station.

• lucabrasi says:

How much $ do you think?
            By the way, I really appreciate your help here.

I’m a Dude, playin’ a Dude, disguised as another Dude!

• CJ says:

I don’t know the market right now, so it would only be a guess regarding what a single might cost. Against the Rangers (the night we lost 1-0, it was a Sat.) a single seat, second row behind the net BB, section 118 was half face value. The closer you wait to puck drop the cheaper the ticket gets. I always walk away when they first give me a price. Don’t flash your habs gear until you are inside the building. It won’t help any negotiation.

Have you searched Kijjijji, Craigslist, ebay for last minute deals?

• CJ says:

Also, keep an eye on the leafs website under ticket. There is nothing right now – just checked, (but teams often dump singles on game day around lunch time).

• bel33 says:

Try Bay Street leading down to the ACC or the York and Bremner area (where the large outdoor area with screen is) as well.. Lots of scalpers should be there too.

Good luck.. it’s going to be $$$$.

– I’d buy that for a dollar! -

• stephen says:

Glad you might get to go to the game, but if you’re looking for atmosphere at the ACC, you’re better off going to a library.

Don’t mean to be the rain on anyone’s parade, but I went to a Habs-Leafs game in Toronto a couple of years ago and couldn’t believe how dead it was in that place.

29. adamkennelly says:

Huge game on HNIC vs. Leafs, Prust done for the year and MT decides he’s gonna play Bourque and Eller instead of White and Parros.

also – benching Tinordi in favor of Bouillion.

I get it – on paper we are going with the better forward but in reality – Habs just lost a game they were badly outmuscled – and if I’m Carlyle – I do it again.

• Loop_Garoo says:

I would put Bork in instead of Parros every time. Right now we don’t gain much with Bork, but at least he can skate, is generally in the right place, and wont hurt you. There is simply no reason for Parros to play any more.

30. habstrinifan says:

People are dumping on Bouillion.

He is not top 2 of course.

But if you are not gonna call up Beaulieu (for watever reason) or Pateyrn(maybe should have stayed ahead of either Tinord or Bouillion) and Gorges is hurt… what you gonna do???

I dont see any other options based on the D’s that are being iced.

• wings says:

only thing about Frankie B is his minutes as top pairing..maybe better suited playing less..love Murray last game vs leafs I remember him having great game and we know Toronto will be in Carey’s face all night..have to stop the BIG line after that shouldnt be that difficult..Borky should be on fire..Chucky up for the challenge..lineup looks good on paper lets hope they play like they can..Parros maybe should be in..

• Paz says:

Keeping Bouillon, signing Murray and now Weaver, has done a wonderful job of blocking out our youth.

Other teams trust young defencemen and succeed. Look at Boston and Pittsburgh, the two teams we have to beat.

But our talent is banished to the AHL because of attitude problems.

• CJ says:

Agreed. Add Anaheim to that list. Maybe they are bad examples as they aren’t having a great season….. Oh wait, that’s not right. Sigh

• Mark C says:

Not sure it’s fair to compare Lindholm to any of the Habs young D.

• Paz says:

Well, we simply can’t know that considering how little Beaulieu has played here.

In terms of skating talent, Beaulieu is elite by NHL standards. That much I saw in his brief stint here.

I think Beaulieu could ave developed tremendously these past 30 games.

But that ship has sailed.

• CJ says:

Maybe not. But the fact is they have three everyday defenders who are 22, 21 and 20 years of age.

Much like Chucky at centre, how do we know what we have? We are afraid to try. Beaulieu, paired with PK all season, might have 30-40 points. We don’t know because we gravitate toward the 35-38 year old crowd.

• Mark C says:

Who is the third player? Again, Fowler is elite and the Ducks suffered through two years of him getting eaten alive in his own zone. Habs aren’t in the same position as the Ducks were.

I’d be more than fine with Nate being called up today and getting a full time role. Just don’t see it as a large improvement, like the Crusaders for Nate do. More time in the AHL won’t hurt.

• CJ says:

Fowler, Lindholm and Vatanen all have 40+ games.

IMO, Beaulieu is a huge improvement over Frankie or Weaver. No better example than the last time Frankie and Nate played together, at the ACC against Toronto. By the third period Frankie was benched and Nate was with PK.

• habstrinifan says:

I agree with the argument re the three main prospects ..especially Tinordi and Pateyrn.

I also fully came around to the belief of poster Bill(the poster whose avatar was Kirk Muller) re Pateyrn having gained enough maturity and defensive reliability to have been the ‘full time’ D rookie this year.

My point is… if you gonna ice the D lineup we are doing NOW(with the absence of Gorges)… yougotta play Bouillion where he is…. I think.

• Paz says:

Yes Trini I understand your point. It is well taken. Where is Bill? I guess he must have gotten frustrated with some of the nonsense here.

• CJ says:

I agree. Unfortunately, what does that do to our best defenceman? He is now forced to have an eye in the back of his head to cover up for Frankie. The best teams, Boston, Chicago, LA, Anaheim, San Jose, St. Louis, all play their best defenceman together. Do they know something we don’t?

We partner our best with our number 7. There isn’t another organization in hockey who uses this strategy.

• DipsyDoodler says:

75% of the other teams are below us in the standings.

But yeah look at the other teams.

Why can’t we be more like them?

—–
        Moving. Forward.

• Paz says:

It’s the teams ahead of us that we need to beat to win a Cup. Our goal is not to finish in the top 25%, right?

People here still want to win the Cup, right?

Or is that too selfish of us?

• CJ says:

Dipsy, name me another team in the NHL who plays their unquestioned best defenceman with a number 7 who wouldn’t be picked up if placed on waivers.

As Paz has noted, I could care less about the Panthers, Oilers, etc.
          We want to be the best, so our baseline is the top 25%.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Bouillon is playing with Subban because Gorges is injured. I bet lots of teams end up playing their #1 and #7 defenders together as a stop gap for a few games.

It’s ridiculous to cherry pick specific decisions that sound bad out of context.

You guys want Beaulieu with Subban. OK how many teams play a rookie call-up on their #1 pairing?

etc …

—–
            Moving. Forward.

• CJ says:

I can’t think of a single team who pairs their number 1 and number 7. Not one. Regarding rookies with their number 1, Boston (Chara and Krug, Chara and Hamilton). Ottawa (Ceci and Karlsson, Karlsson and Cowen), Pittsburgh (Matta and Letang), Anaheim (Fowler and Beachemin), Phoenix (Yandle and OEL)….. You get the point.

• CJ says:

Dumping on Bouillion sucks. He is a warrior. I loved him hammering Steve Ott last year after he took a run at Galley. That is the Frankie I will always remember. IMO you can not ice a defence that includes both Frankie and Weaver at the same time. I wouldn’t have an issue if we rotated the guys, but they are both 6 (generously), but more realistically 7/8 players, or otherwise depth. Bergevin himself called Weaver insurance and noted that he was simply a policy that would be nice to have if needed. Fast forward two weeks and he’s become an everyday player. Something seriously went wrong with Beaulieu. I don’t know what happened, nor will I speculate, aside from suggesting that whatever it was, it must not have been well received.

So, to your question, it appears that we are content to ride this out until Gorges returns. I don’t agree, but I’m not the coach or GM.

• Paz says:

I think, total speculation, that Beaulieu must be having a hard time with Lefebvre. He was an awful choice in Hamilton I think.

I really liked Bergevin until he started hiring his coaches.

• Loop_Garoo says:

If I’m not mistaken there are a limited number of call-ups for the team at the end of the year, with Tokarski going back and forth 2x, I think you wont see any more call-ups until the very end of the year. Really hoping that Beaulieu and Tinordi both stay with the team from the beginning next year, not too worried about this year. Would really prefer those two, and Pateryn as the 7th, for a serious influx of youth on D next year.

31. third generation haber says:

I posted this the other day and wanted to get it out one more time.

On a brighter note, I think our CHL prospects had great years!!! I like following our prospects because our pool has gotten deeper in recent years.

This year:
    Brady Vail: A supposed defensive forward tallied 32 goals and 83 points; one of the tops in the OHL.

Tim Bozon: Despite a slow start (was traded) and missing a bunch of games (serious health issues), scored 33 goals. That’s 3 straight seasons of 30+.

Charles Hudon: Had 76 points in 57 games and continued to fight back problems. I considered this result a disappointment for him since he plays for a powerhouse team.

Jeremy Gregoire: Maybe our prospect of the year! 35 goals, 89 points! He’s only 18 and was a 6th rounder! This guy is known for his grit, but surprised this year.

Connor Crisp: I wouldn’t have imagined this guy scoring 28 goals this year! He also had 120 PIM and may not have lost a single fight. A beast!

Jack Nevins: Famous for beating the $%^& out of people, somehow scored 19 goals, and no surprise, 159 PIM.

Dalton Thrower: A d-man who scored 12 goals and 39 points in just 42 games. Looking very Bieksaish.

Micheal McCarron: He’s taken lots of flack, but I’ve read a lot of reports on his solid play in the second half. 14 goals, 34 points, and 120 PIM, is not too shabby for an 18 year old rookie.

Not mentioning Martin Reway because if another smurf gets added to the habs, I’m going to start fire bombing.

If we keep scouting like this, I have high hopes for our future.

j.p. murray