Habs prospect Weber has fastest shot in OHL

Canadiens prospect Yannick Weber grabbed some of the headlines during the Ontario Hockey League skills competition on Tuesday with a slap shot that clocked in at 99.2 miles per hour.

The Kitchener Rangers defenceman was selected 73rd overall by the Habs in 2007. In 41 games this season, Weber has 19 goals and 27 assists for the OHL team. He also has 65 penalty minutes.

1. nightmare_49 says:

Weber i’ve only seen once playing against Belleville and a period of a game earlier in the season and what i like is his poise , confidence and his smarts to go along with his shot. He may not be big but i noticed he was sturdy on his skates with good balance. I wish i could get a better look at him when he is pressed so i guess i’ll have to wait till the OHL playoffs. i actually don’t think he is far from the NHL even though he is small after seeing Kris Russell taking a regular shift with Colunbus. A big “D” man as his partner wouldn’t hurt.

2. kenny_galloway says:

gyea gyea doggies

3. joe-hab-nuno says:

frank81

4. joe-hab-nuno says:

did you take my pic?

5. Mr.Hazard says:

Swiss Power!

Ex nihilo nihil fit

6. RS says:

Nice to see Weber, Suban and White progressing nicely. The odds suggest that they won’t all make it. That’s why it’s good to have a bunch of prospects. You need depth in the system, because developing talent is such a crap shoot. Well it’s more than just luck, because coaches and teams can help along the way, but there are also a lot of intangibles.

7. krob1000 says:

kirk muller, bernie nicholls, sean avery, tony mccegney, ken linseman, paul coffey, lary murphy, mike o’connell, tim kerr, chris gratton and there are several lesser nhlers but being a Kingston boy I had to respond to a post like that. The team wasn’t alwaysthe frontendacs. Sorrty if my thsi comes out bad beeause I can’t see what I type from home.

8. Chris says:

No worries…it came out fine. The Kingston Canadians were my favourite OHL team when I was a kid. Belleville vs. Kingston games with Jack Miller, voice of the Bellevillie Bulls, is as good as it gets. Most of the players you listed were all junior players before my time. I was just surprised when I saw the “all-time” team for the Frontenacs (can’t find the link anymore, but I believe both David Ling and Keli Corpse were on it), and they’ve had a pretty bad run for the past few years, which I always found surprising given the quality of the hockey in Kingston.

As a franchise of late, though, Kingston has really seemed to struggle…they are rarely a contender, and haven’t produced nearly as many good players as they did back in the 70′s and 80′s.

9. teamplayer says:

thanks mavety for the strugglin times. there is going to be a vote soon of kingstons all-time team

10. Robert L says:

It hurts. Especially watching those decent pieces not gel. In games like the last two, players slumping such as Higgins and Ryder, if he was there, tend to lose the focus needed to win, and start thinking only of finally getting that long lost goal.

11. RS says:

Don’t forget Carle, rookie with the Dogs.

12. Rastaman says:

Anyone know the skinny on this kid? We seem to have so many defense prospects in the system that could become legitimate nhl’ers. Mcdonagh, Fisher, Emelin, Valentenko, Subban. Is this guy a future Hab?

13. Chris says:

Not too much knowledge of Weber yet, although I do intend to go check him out over the next few weeks, so I’ll try to update people at that time. Since he’s playing for the Rangers and they are hosting the Memorial Cup, I will get a chance to see him at least a couple of times in May as well. He was on the Swiss WJC squad and played well, from what I’ve read. He’s playing very well with the Rangers, one of the top scoring defenders in the OHL. Of course, Andre Benoit filled the same role for Kitchener 3-5 years ago and he never really panned out even at the AHL level, so we’ll see.

My question is what the hell do they put in the water in Switzerland to produce these guys with really hard slap shots? :)

14. gumper says:

I’ve seen him play a bit. Small, very mobile, intelligent, sees the ice well, makes a great outlet pass, used plentifully on the P.P. Sound like another Swiss player we know?

15. A. Berke says:

If he can skate as well, then I wouldn’t call him “Sheldon who?”
    but instead he would be a great find and addition to the team.

How’s his transition game, does anyone watched him?
    Unfortunately, on the west coast we don’t have the luxury of watching the young prospects.

cheers

Ali B.

16. Ryan says:

I live in Trenton right now, which is only about 10 minutes west of Belleville, and not much better than Bancroft, haha.

17. Robert L says:

Perhaps I did not make my point clear enough. I’m not picking on Kovy with the one example, I just used it as the most obvious reference.

I quite like the man and player, and last season is long gone.

What I was getting at, is exactly what you suggest in your last paragraph. The team stopped working the way you mention, and it cost them.

When you say “why would he stop”, I would answer that the Senators were changing the tempo of the game, and it wasn’t recognized.

It’s not just Kovalev on that one play, it is the comportment of the whole team in adjusting.

What I’m getting at might be subtle, because the Habs caught it in time to save their tails.

18. zamboni says:

Sorry Robert, you missed the boat big time on your latest blog.
    You might have had a point if you picked on the Rangers game as your subject more than the Senators game.
    On the Rangers game, I could see some players getting over confident and thinking that they could run the score.
    That was never the case with Ottawa, specially with the Rangers game fresh on their minds.
    Furthermore you certainly chose the wrong guy to pick on (Kovalev).
    You live and die by fire, that’s his game, and that’s what he does best, his dipsy moves on the previous 3 goals, created the space and converted to goals, why would he stop, you know it can’t work all the time, but if it works more often than it fails, that’s good enough.

You probably still have bitter feelings towards Kovalev, maybe it’s time to accept who he is for what he is, after all he’s the real leader out there at least for now.

The reason we fell back is because we stopped skating and stopped the aggressive forechecking, I don’t know if this comes down from the coaches to protect the lead or the players just tense up, either way it’s a problem that the coaching team need to address.

19. Robert L says:

On last night’s game, certain facets caught my attention as to why the team becomes less focused after the first period.

Selfish Turns Almost Cost Canadiens Win

It also mentioned that Habs prospect Ryan White was the player of the week in the WHL.

The Original 24 Cups

21. 81frank says:

For 10 points, 5 goals and 5 assists in 4 games.

22. 81frank says:

And he’s also player of the week for the whole CHL.

23. Ian G Cobb says:

Looks like there is a good chance that Weber with Kitchener and Suban with Belleville will face each other in the Memorial Cup. Belleville winning the League and Kitchener hosting the Cup.!

24. mjames says:

Ian:

In your assessment is this guy a diamond in the ruff for us? Do we have a potential Bobby Orr or something?

mjames

25. Chris says:

One positive for Weber…as with Kostitsyn, he’s learning the ropes on a GREAT team at devoloping NHL-calibre talent. Peter DeBoer is one of the better coaches in the OHL.

One thing I really notice in the OHL is that some teams are very good at finding those guys that go on and have great NHL careers (Kitchener, Sault Ste. Marie, London), some produce exceptional OHL players whose skills, for whatever reason, don’t seem to translate at the NHL level (my beloved Geulph Storm fall under that category, although recent Storm graduates like Ryan Callahan and especially Dustin Brown have a chance to turn that around!), and some just never seem to find those gems for whatever reason…Kingston leads the pack on that one. I remember seeing their all-time OHL team a few years ago and was shocked to see that Craig Rivet was the only name I even recognized! :)

26. Ian G Cobb says:

And some say Bob does not know how to build a long term winning franchise.

We have a lot of fantastic young picks, and Weber sure is one of them.

27. Ryan says:

Sheldon who?

Living in the Belleville area, they broadcast some games on television from time to time, and a couple weeks ago they showed the Kitchener/Belleville game and Weber looked great, scoring the game winner.

Last I heard, he was leading the OHL in goals for defencemen with 19, 17 on the power-play(i think), and he looked strong defensively as well, on the ice for the final minute with a one-goal lead.

28. Chris says:

Whereabouts in the Belleville area, Ryan? I ask because I was originally from Bancroft (one of the North of Hwy. 7 savages!), and I try to check out Belleville games whenever I visit my brother who now lives in Tweed.

29. Chuck says:

I don’t think that ANYONE will have a potential Bobby Orr on their hands ever again… but I see where you’re coming from!

______________________________________
    “All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

30. Ian G Cobb says:

This kid is a terrific prospect, just remember he is only a prospect. Everything depends on desire and work ethics on his part, coaching, development and life skills on the club’s part. It takes 4to5 years to start to season a pro. defense man. It takes 6 to 7 years from the draft to start to develop a pro. goal tender. That is why Price and Halak will be backing up Huet for 2 or 3 more years. So free agent or not Huet is staying.

31. mbplekfan says: