Habs prospect Pacioretty, at a glance

Thanks to Habs Inside/Out reader Mike McLaren of Richboro, Pa., who spotted the following one-page profile of Canadiens prospect Max Pacioretty of the University of Michigan in USA Hockey Magazine’s February 2008 edition.

(Uh, Max? About the New York Rangers being your favourite NHL team?)

From USA Hockey Magazine’s February 2008 edition:

1. Chorske says:

I SO don’t care, what a non-issue. The kid grew up in Connecticut post-Whalers, who else is he going to cheer for?! I would’ve rolled my eyes if he had said “the Canadiens”.

What, we gonna get pissed off because he doesn’t list Celine as his favourite singer?! That he doesn’t say poutine is his favourite food? Come on. Arretons de chercher les pepins, les boys.

2. Third Eye Clear says:

I agree with you Chorske, I would have rolled my eyes had he said the Habs…but…I did a double take when I saw Joe Dirt listed as a favorite movie lol JOE FREKIN’DIRT

3. Sulemaan says:

Big deal. The kid liked the Rangers when growing up. When Chris Nilan was drafted he said his favorite team was Boston but he loved Montreal afterwards.

4. MikeMcLaren says:

Well, there’s no accounting for someone’s taste and all, but you would think if he’s going to pander enough to say that USA Hockey Magazine is one of his favorites he could at least throw the club who drafted him a lil’ bone.

(I only say this because I find it hard to believe that someone would actually list the USA Hockey Magazine as one of his favorites… it’s not a bad magazine [http://www.usahockeymagazine.com], but a favorite? Oof!)

In truth, they can’t ALL be Chris Higgins or P.K. Subban who loved the club since they were kids. Those kinds of guys are great to have because during contract negotiations you know they’re living a dream to a degree.

But Pacioretty’s more in the mold of just a kid whose favorite team was the Rangers and whose favorite player won the unsung hero award for the team. There’s certainly something adirable about that.

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

5. Bill H says:

Actually, I can understand him making such a statement. He is not under contract to the Canadiens. He has had minimal contact with the organization. What, did he go to some kind of develop camp last summer for the weekend? That’s supposed to change how he has felt and thought all his life? He’s a kid. Someone interviewed him and he said what was in his heart…that his favourite team is the NYR. What he meant was that as a kid growing up, his favourite team was the NYR. He wasn’t thinking as a professional hockey player because he isn’t a professional hockey player. But I can say this. I bet he never again says the NYR is his favourite team. I bet he already realizes that it was a boo-boo.

6. Wops says:

My favorite team was the Expos, but I would not mind playing for the Yankees…..
    _______________________________________
    CH is for Chris Higgins

It would be great if this kid could step in and play for the Habs after next year when some of the older grinders’ contracts run out. Start out with some limited ice time and slowly pay his dues as he gains NHL experience. His arrival would also be perfect timing for the salary cap problems we might be facing at that time. He wouldn’t cost a bundle of cash contract wise.

Left wing 2009-10 = Andrei K, Higgins, Lats, and Pacioretty. Looks good to me.

The Original 24 Cups

8. HNS says:

Favorite team, RANGERS???……Adios!

9. Da Hema says:

Sergei Federov’s untalented brother Fedor said something similar about his “favorite team” when he was with the Canucks. On the Canucks’s website, Fedor claimed his favorite team was Detroit–even when he was playing with the Canuck’s farm team! He was traded within a week….

After what I saw of Pacioretti at the World Juniors, perhaps we should send him to New York….
    _________________________________________________________
    “The worst day of fishing beats the best day of working.”
    –Martin Crane, “Frasier”

10. Chris says:

Pacioretti was hurt in the first game of the World Juniors after a knee-on-knee hit against Kazakhstan, supposedly. Had his leg all taped up and was relegated to 4th line duty for most of the tournament while it healed.

11. sidhu says:

Eddie O was giving Max and McDonough some respect on NBC’s coverage of the Habs/Rangers game.

Respect to Mr Timmons and his staff for their superb scouting!