Habs prospect McCarron cut from Team USA junior camp

McCarronweb

Michael McCarron, the Canadiens’ first-round draft pick in 2013, was among 15 players released from the Team USA national junior evaluation camp Tuesday in Lake Placid, N.Y.

The Canadiens selected the 6-foot-6, 238-pound right-winger with the 25th overall pick at the 2013 NHL draft. In 66 regular-season games with the OHL’s London Knights last season, McCarron had 14 goals and 20 assists along with 120 penalty minutes.

McCarron told The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell earlier this summer that the biggest adjustment for him playing in the OHL after being part of the U.S. National Team Development Program in 2012-13 was the amount of games. He played 59 games with the U.S. program followed by 78 last season, including playoffs, with London.

“I had a pretty tough start there with a couple of things I had to get used to,” McCarron told Branswell. “And then come Christmas I was a little upset (with my play). I had to pick it up. And the second half I thought I played pretty well.

“I would say pretty average season,” McCarron said, adding he expects to play all next season the way he did in the second half in 2013-14 and that he needs to get faster.

“I’m a big body,” he told Branswell. “I’ve got to get my legs under me and I’ve got to get a lot stronger.”

Asked what part of his game he felt improved the most this year, McCarron said his feet and speed.

“And also just going to the net and using my body more,” he told Branswell. “Because when I first got here I saw everybody dangling and I was like, ‘Oh, maybe I gotta do that’ and obviously it didn’t work.

“So I’ve just got to keep playing my game, being a big body down low and going to the net with the puck and stuff like that. So if I keep doing that I’ll have no issues.”

Team USA coach Mark Osiecki said making the cuts from the Lake Placid camp wasn’t easy.

“That’s the toughest part of it,” he told NHL.com about the cuts. “There’s a lot of good hockey players. Every kid here is a talented hockey player and they’re going to be talented hockey players in the future. It’s the unfortunate part of it right now, you’re trying to trim it down a bit to look at other players. The players sent home, not by any means are they off and not an option. They’ll definitely be looked at. They’re tremendous hockey players.”

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

TVA Sports releases its Habs schedule for next season

Team USA makes 15 cuts at junior camp, NHL.com

Habs prospect Grégoire turning heads, by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell

Habs’ Subban flirts with tennis star Eugenie Bouchard on social media, Stu on Sports blog

1. jols says:

Well I’m so glad we didn’t draft Genie Bouchard. 20 years old and can’t even win the first round at home. What a bust. lol.

2. DipsyDoodler says:

Ten American sports franchises that are on thin ice. Three are hockey teams. Two, the Bills and Devil Rays, might move to Canada.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

3. JUST ME says:

Ah well…Genie was not up to the challenge. There will be others like this one but also great things ahead. Funny how canadians are doing so good all year but so far on home ground it`s the complete drought…

Game isn’t over, but was really hoping Jays could take Game 1 of this set with Baltimore. Hill gets tougher to climb with a loss tonight. Yankees currently winning against Detroit as well. A bad series against Baltimore and suddenly Toronto could really be looking up at both wildcard and division.

5. habs001 says:

USA hockey has developed some great players and are developing more and more high end players…At this stage of USA hockey when selecting their best junior team there is no way a player like McCarron should make the team unless their development is not that good..Does not mean he cannot one day play 3rd or 4th line in the NHL

6. HabFab says:

PK talking today about his negotiations and arbitration;

7. BriPro says:

So it doesn’t look as though I’m making the summit this year.
    Too bad. We had such a blast last year? Met some great people of have turned out to be friends for life.

My daughter is moving to Nashville, and she’s assured me that the Habs will forever be her team. She’s even suggested picking up tickets on the cheap, and suggested I fly down.

One drive down to move her stuff next week will be the only one. And we’ll be coming home without her. ….. for 5 years. Be still my broken heart.

I don’t come on much lately. I have to confess that I don’t recognize many of the handles. But the good ones are still here.

I just wanted to come on and say a quick “hi”, and I hope everybody is having a great summer!

8. Habitant in Surrey says:

Marc Bergevin recently made an interesting and compelling addition to the Bulldogs; Jake Dowell, rather underlining MB’s obsession with character, having signed Him to a one year deal in Hamilton.

Last year Jake was honoured by the Fred T Hunt Memorial Award as ‘the AHL player who best exemplifies the qualities of sportsmanship, determination and dedication to hockey’ in a split-season between the Minnesota Wild and it’s AHL affiliate in Utica.

Marc Bergevin likely knew Jake well during His time within the Chicago Blackhawk’s organization between 2007-2011.

Davis Drewiske was a team-mate of Jake Dowell on the NCAA’s University of Wisconsin Badgers, which won the Frozen Four in 2006.

Jake is living with the real possibility of Huntingdon’s Disease, which His father recently succumbed to, and His older brother is already afflicted with.

This link is to ‘Flip Of A Coin: The Jake Dowell Story’ which featured, I believe in February 2014 on ESPN’s E:60.

9. jols says:

Nice bounce back set from Genie…

• JF says:

She’s rusty – hasn’t played since Wimbledon and missed practice time with an injury. This humbling won’t do her any harm, although it’s a pity it had to happen at her home tournament. But I wouldn’t be surprised if she came bouncing back next week in Cincinnati.

10. ProHabs says:

What is the short term future of Lehkonen. I know he is small but he was highly regarded when the Habs drafted him with a late second round pick last year. Is he Hamilton bound this year.

• HabFab says:

Nope, has signed to play in the Swedish Elite League for the next two seasons.

• ProHabs says:

Didn’t know that. Thanks. You would have to think that there is not enough spots on the Habs for DD Gallagher and then adding Hudon, Lehkonen and Andrigotto. Too much like the small days of Gionta, Gomez, Cammalleri, Tom Pyatt, etc.

11. Slackman says:

So according to draftsite’s mock draft, the Habs will pick Julius Nattinen 28th overall.

JULIUS NATTINEN IS A BUST, A BAD PICK, A TERRIBLE CHOICE, HE’S TOO SMALL/TOO BIG/TOO SOFT/TOO FOREIGN/TOO FRENCH/NOT FRENCH ENOUGH/SKATES BAD/DOESN’T FIGHT/ONLY FIGHTS/HAS BAD BREATH/AND HIS SECOND TOE IS A QUARTER OF AN INCH LONGER THAN HIS BIG TOE AND THAT SHIT IS JUST WEIRD.

He’s 17 years old, but i can predict these things. Take my word for it. This SEVENTEEN YEAR OLD will not play in the NHL. No way not never no sir. He simply cannot improve.

———————————————————————————–
    “A Gypsy mutant industrial vacuum cleaner dances about a mysterious night time camp fire. Festoons. Dozens of imported castanets, clutched by the horrible suction of its heavy duty hose, waving with marginal erotic abandon in the midnight autumn air.”

12. scamorza says:

flyers sign del zotto for $1.3M considering their D and in light of timmonen news makes perfect sense

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• UKRAINIANhab says:

A few years ago Del Zotto was regarded as a player of massive potential. What happened?! Good signing.

• ProHabs says:

I know. That’s a cheap contract for a first rounder. Teams were not lining up to sign this guy. His stock has definitely fallen big time. Weird. Did he come down with Mike Komisarekitis.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

I remember people arguing he would be better than Subban a couple of years ago. It was funny back then, now it´s hilarious.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Wow

• scamorza says:

typical example of an offensive d who never really understood the d part of being a defenceman lots of potential and who knows may pan out at Philly but yes not in PK’s league as overall toolkit

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• Un Canadien errant says:

I remember it differently. There were a few posters who stated that the Ranger defenceman was a good comparable for P.K. contract-wise, in terms of years of service and and role and production. Quite a few more posters attacked that position vigourously.

I don’t remember any posters claiming that P.K. had lower potential or would turn out inferior to Mr. Del Zotto.

• piper says:

Maybe they’ll make a forward out of him.

13. Habitant in Surrey says:

Jeremy Gregoire reminds Me of a more ‘gentlemanly’ Claude Lemieux :)

14. Habitant in Surrey says:

AHL’s Western Conference
    North Division

Adirondack Flames (Calgary)
    Hamilton Bulldogs (Montreal)
    Rochester Americans (Buffalo)
    Toronto Marlies (Toronto)
    Utica Comets (Vancouver)

The above is this season’s realignment of the Bulldog’s division in the AHL. Calgary, Buffalo, Toronto and Vancouver’s prospects to measure Our prospects against.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

But I’m guessing some of You are thinking it would show Us more about Our prospects if LA’s, Chicago’s, the Blues’, or Ducks’ AHL teams were in Our division :)

15. jols says:

Genie’s tournament might be over quickly. She is not looking good. Well she is looking good, she just isn’t playing well…

16. punkster says:

Who opened a window and let all these bats in our belfry?

Release the Subbang!!!

17. scamorza says:

On McCarron geez he has been cut from camp. Think we can name a number of WJC players who never made it to the NHL. Give the kid a break still too early and yes agree with the general consensus that he needs to improve his skating especially pushing off/acceleration. If he can be a 3rd line winger with a nose for the net on the PP we will all be happy – looking at the highlights we can at least say he has a nose for the net.
    It has also been touched on here and personally the more exciting issue for me is the 2013 draft stands to be just as good as 2007 – think MB and whole scouting staff have done a very good job and now only time will tell

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

18. Dudeskiman says:

Seems like MB is having a bad week. I’m really starting to doubt his ability.

Geoff Molson is not only the Principal owner of the Habs he is also the President. In Toronto Brendan Shanahan is now President of Hockey Operations, isn’t he expected to be part of major hockey decisions? There are many examples of NHL Presidents having input on major decisions.

Why is Molson the President not allowed to be President of the hockey club in Montreal?

• Hobie says:

Oh hey Burly. I’m giving you my annual excuse of why I won’t be at the Summit this year. The woman and I are expecting the birth of our child in mid October.

So one day my good man. I was so ready to finally go this year too lol.

20. Rad says:

Unless you are a freak of nature like Usain Bolt, you cannot expect a guy who is 6’6″, 241 lbs to be a speedster. You expect him to be a physical force and a strong net front presence. The Habs identified a weakness in the physical department, and drafted accordingly. De La Rose at 6’3″, 205, Crisp at 6’4″, 225 — and the biggest kid in the draft, Michael McCarron. McCarron’s skating has improved over last year, and no doubt will improve further in the coming years. I suspect he will eventually make the NHL as a 3rd liner who will also be used on the PP to crowd the net and allow for rebound and deflection type goals, which is how you score in the playoffs.

• Hobie says:

No man! When we draft players we need to look at point totals and skill only! Forget about stay-at-home defencemen, defensive minded forwards and guys with size and grit! Things like leadership and a good attitude are also way overrated!

On draft day we’re only picking guys who led their teams in scoring. Who cares if they’re 5’9″! You never draft players in terms of your team’s needs. Points, points, points!!!

It also helps if they play in Sweden or the Czech Republic!

You’re quickly getting as sarcastic as me Hobie!

• Hobie says:

I dunno Burly. This Bergevin guy has shown me nothing since his arrival. All of his moves have shown me the man knows zero about NHL hockey. He seems like a total idiot in his interviews as well. He is destroying the Habs and McCarron not making team USA is just the icing on the cake.

Galchenyuk better make the All-Star game too or he’s a bust!

21. HabFab says:

Tim Bozon scored a goal in an exhibition game in the Czech Republic yesterday. Baby steps…

22. Hobie says:

The WJHC consists of a round robin followed by a one game elimination format. You lose a game after the round robin and your gold medal hopes are finished.

If the WJHC were let’s say, four best of seven rounds, you’d probably see Mike McCarron playing for team USA on the 3rd or 4th line. In the WJHC the teams are looking for flash and dash.

You don’t need a guy like McCarron parked in front of the goaltender, wearing down the defencemen, tipping shots, and bashing in rebounds. In a seven game series, sure. In a one game match up, forget it. You want tick-tack-toe passing and a high octane offense that flies from the drop of the puck. That’s not North American hockey.

23. franco says:

So I sez, what is the scooper on the P.K sign’en.

Then the voice said,” here’s how she went down” according to my speculaten mind.

The budget was set, then unset, and the deal was signed. Mr. P.K. agreed to less, upfront like, and more later, yea see!

The voice says “am I makin sense”

Yea sure, budget set, budget changed, less now, more later, bigger contract, hey, we all is happy.

The new age of being a bust is now 19, things is goin faster these days, used to 24 or so, but who has time….it is now 19.

Will be watchen Colberg, and Leblank with inquiring interest, ya never know eh! Just watchen not predictin, that is for chumps.

• Slackman says:

so what exactly is the main bullet point of this post? what is the underlying message? I cant read through so many layers of biting satire.

———————————————————————————–

24. HairyHabist says:

Just watched an interview with PK on McCown.
    He said both sides made long term bids before they settled on the $72 mil.

PK also said he spoke to Geoff Molson during the process.
    Which may mean he went over Bergevin’s head. That’s never a good thing.

• franco says:

Have yea ever heard the mushroom and how it grew. You keep it in the dark, pile on the bull, and watch it grow. Molsen invests almost a 100 million bucks in one player and your all surprised and stuff that he was near by.

I know how to make it more exciten, hows this? The meetin was goin on and Molsen come bursten threw the door, smelling of booze and cheap calone. He had a white horse he was riden, but they made him keep it in the hall.

He got off the horse and said wait her ‘doll’ he said to the little bimbo he was with, I got a contract to get signed. He burst threw the door, everyone jumped and he started thrown money everywhere…..sign the effin thing, its only money, there are enough drunks around I can make that money back in a week.

Bergevin clutched his tummy and cried, I AM A FAILURE, Molsen kicked him in the crotch and said….stop sniveling and get me a coffee.

P.K. and Molsen hugged and walked out to the lobby, leaving the so called G.M. in a fetal position, wondering if he still had a job.

• HairyHabist says:

Your bullshit doesn’t change the fact that PK said what I wrote.

If your getting your info from the local boys only, all you’re hearing is the kiddie garden version.

• scamorza says:

Sticking to your opening line and to quote Shecky Greene you must be a fungi or fun guy, the rest I wasn’t so sure of

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• Loop_Garoo says:

It may mean that, but it may not. It may have been Molson just pouring out the love for PK. There are not many businesses out there where the GM can spend $72 million without consulting the president.

• alain58 says:

Look at the Black Hawks and the LA Kings. Bunch of sissies. Will never win nothing.

• frontenac1 says:

Kyle Clifford and Jordan Nolan each had 10fights last year. I would have each of those guys on my roster. In Chicago. Brookbank is a good scrapper, Bollig is a spot picking pussy and they lost Bobby Shea to us. They have some tough guys in Rockford that are ready to move up. Mashinter is really really good. Also Keep eye on MacNeil and Winchester down there.

25. habcertain says:

I cannot believe we are now debating wether we drafted a guy that was “too” big.

26. UKRAINIANhab says:

To reply to the cluster of comments re: my opinion on McCarron being a pick… I just didn’t like at the time and still don’t like (Maritime Ron, how that is considered trolling I am not too sure……). I am not bailing on McCarron either, quite frankly I don’t really care that much about prospects until they make the big club, so don’t take my opinion on this subject to your heart.

Which leads me to my point, I feel that in todays NHL, there is not much room for someone who is 6’6 and cannot move very quick, the game is just to fast to not be able to skate. Can McCarron improve his skating and make Montreal? Absolutely, I just feel skating is the most important thing in Hockey and without it, your not making the NHL.

• piper says:

Drafting at #25 is a crap shoot anyway. Might as well take a chance on a big guy. I believe he will make the NHL in a few years as he’s only 19 and power forwards do seem to take longer to develop (Bertuzzi).

• Maritime Ronn says:

Troll – trolling was a wrong term to use
      Apologies offered.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

I wasn´t a fan of that pick either but I really like any other of our 2013 picks except Crisp so there´s no reason to complain for me. Just imagine we had drafted de la Rose in McCarron´s spot, Lekhonen in de la Rose´s spot and McCarron in Lekhonen´s spot. It would have made more sense but we have exactly the same result. Unfortunately people will go on and on about McCarron if he doesn´t at least become a decent 3rd liner.

If you don’t care about prospects why call them out as a bust then? And why tell everyone they should just admit it? The NCAA vs OHL I didn’t get either, given McCarron hasn’t played any NCAA.

Just trying to follow the reasoning is all.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

When did I say he was a bust?

Stop nitpicking me all the time! Maybe Mac would have been better at Western Michigan. Leblanc may have been better at where ever he was.

“This pick was bad, admit it. Really bad. Still some time, but I highly doubt he improves his skating enough to make the big league!”

Sorry, I misread the above comment, I thought this implied he won’t make the NHL, thus a bust.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Bad picks can turn out well, I thought we should have got a skilled player. Doesn’t matter I guess.

“I highly doubt” he will make the NHL. We’ll see, leave it at that

• scamorza says:

he was at harvard so hockey or no hockey he will be ok :-)

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

27. Habitant in Surrey says:

Hearing TVA has published it’s 2014-2015 schedule, I phone My provider Telus, here in Vancouver to ask can I expect to watch My Habs on TVA this season ?

Wouldn’t You know it, the girl asks Me ‘What’s a Hab ???’

I confide a ‘Hab’ is a Montreal Canadien.

She asks Me to hold on to check her information, she returns in a minute to ask ‘and what sport is a Hab’ ?

I explain ‘hockey’ ! :(

She tells Me ‘no sir, according to NHL rules, only national games will be broadcast (Sportsnet, CBC etc.), but not French-language TVA.’

TVA will be available on the older-generation satellite feeds, but not Optik, which I have.

Therefore, French-language Canadiens’ broadcasts will not be available, as the Rogers Petition notes, west of central Ontario.

I had some other business re my internet and phone, and I was transferred to Telus’ Montreal customer care office. I speak with a very nice young guy that gives Me a ‘loyalty discount’ of 3 months free internet and TV, and I didn’t even ask for it.

I think it had to do with Me being a long-time loyal client of Telus, as well He likely detected in My voice how distraught I was contemplating not being able to follow My Habs this coming season.

He got Me excited by saying He may be able to get Me 50% off for Centre Ice. He checks and finds that promotion has expired. :(

Centre Ice will cost $ 199.00 annually. I tell Him I would gladly pay for Centre Ice if the broadcasts’ play by play were in French or by a Canadian broadcaster (TSN/RDS/TVA/CBC/SportsNet) in English.

We riffed about the cost of Centre Ice will result in the Habs losing a good percentage of their Fans west of Quebec over time, because of cost and access.

I even mentioned there was this crazy Habs Fan out here in the west that started a petition.

In a hushed voice the nice young French Canadian Telus service rep tells Me, ‘sir, do what I do, I stream on-line !’ He asks, ‘Does Your Son have a PS3 ?’ I tell Him ‘Yes’.

He went into detail how to hook it up to My HD TV.

Before hanging-up, he asks Me ‘Don’t tell anyone I told You this’.

I assured him I won’t.

____________________________________________________

Listen to my CBC Radio ‘AirPlay’ interview, hosted by Dave White: https://soundcloud.com/yukonradiodave/habs-fans-shut-out-by-rogers?utm_source=soundcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=facebook

Follow Me on Twitter: @HabInSurrey

Petition To Protest Roger’s Blacking Out Of Habs’ Games On RDS West Of Quebec

Read and sign at; http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/no-habs-blackout-rds

28. JohnBellyful says:

So, if I understand it, if luck is in our side, McCarron won’t play soft for a big man, he’ll play shorter.

29. on2ndthought says:

@ Dipsy re: tall
    I don’t see that list as a negative. In the top tall 8 you mention, if McCarron pans out to a Steckel, Hayes, Byfuglien or Boyle (picked 1 – 26th BTW), i.e. a serviceable NHLer or above, that’s great. A 50/50 shot at pick 25, I’ll take that. McCarron has built in feisteness, so even if his top end is one of the other 4, he will serve a purpose in 20 to 25 rgular season games.

From that list, here’s a comparable I’d love to see.
    19 yeras old :Portland WHL 70 11 30 41 5 168
    20years old: Portland WHL 72 36 44 80 17 202
    then 3 full years in the AHL

How’d you like Paul Gaustad on line 3 or 4?

EDIT overlooked Hanzal as well, not that his style is what MB was looking for

“a cannonading drive”

30. John Q Public says:

I think the Habs should start advertising to the space folk.
    You never know who’s going to be in charge, best to cover all your bases.

31. bwoar says:

Pretty sure that none of Tyler Seguin, Eric Staal, Martin Brodeur, Cam Ward or Al MacInnis never played in the WJC.

Nor Patrick Roy (!) – Craig Billington won the gold between the pipes in Helsinki that year.

It’s development, nothing you can do but wait and see. That’s my optimism for the day.

32. Rad says:

Look at the names that were taken right after McCarron in the 2013 draft: Shea Theodore, Marko Dano, Morgan Klimchuk, Jason Dickinson, Ryan Hartman, Ian McCoshen, Chris Bigras, Adam Erne, Jacob De La Rose, Compher, Fucale, Zykov, Hurley, Dauphin, Elie, Hagg, Santini, etc. etc. None of them is lighting it up in any of their respective leagues either. In fact, De La Rose may yet prove to be the best player in that group. So where did the Habs go wrong? All the top names that year went earlier in Round 1, well before the Habs ever had a shot at them. Here’s how that 2013 draft went down:

No doubt there will be some sleepers taken after McCarron that will have productive careers in the NHL, but so far none of them has really stood out. In fact, the Habs also picked up Lehkonen, Crisp, Andrighetto, and Gregoire that year. That’s not a bad haul.

33. BJ says:

Its still very early to see how McCarron develops. There is never an absolute guarantee with any pick, including first rounders. As a number of posters have pointed out, he is only 19. Lets see how he has evolved in say 2-3 years and having played against men in the AHL. Its way too early for any type of judgement to evaluate if he’s a wasted pick or not.

34. Habitant in Surrey says:

TVA’s NHL Broadcast Schedule 2014-2015

Please correct me if My math is erroneous anywhere here.

I see TVA will broadcast a total of 216 NHL games over 7 months.

Of the 216 games, only 22 will be Habs’ game.

Of the 216 games, 33 will be Beans’ games.

Of the 216 games, 26 will be Weeds’ games.

In October, only 4 Habs games.
    In November, only 4 games.
    In December, ONLY 2 games !
    January = 3.
    February = 4.
    March = 4.
    And, April = but 1 game.

10 % of TVA’s 216 NHL broadcasts will be Canadiens’ games !

15 % of TVA’s 216 NHL broadcasts will be Beans’ games.

12 % of TVA’s 216 NHL broadcasts will be Weeds’ games.

Tell Me Boyz and Girlz …is it ONLY Me that feels something a tad PERVERSE about this !?!

____________________________________________________

Follow Me on Twitter: @HabInSurrey

Petition To Protest Roger’s Blacking Out Of Habs’ Games On RDS West Of Quebec

Read and sign at; http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/no-habs-blackout-rds

35. UKRAINIANhab says:

Another case maybe of NCAA vs OHL?

Leblanc did this and it failed, and mike should have went to the NCAA instead of London. I don’t agree when people say that the CHL is so much better than the NCAA (Don Cherry).

o well.

36. DipsyDoodler says:

Serious question, does anyone think maybe McCarron is too big?

He is 6’6″ right now.

There are 8 forwards in the NHL 6’6 or taller. None of them are very good, although that Bjugstad kid might turn out okay.

Going further there are 12 players listed at 6’5″, and only Blake Wheeler is any good. (Dustin Byfuglien is on the list but he’s a defender.)

He also weighs 238 pounds. That would make him the 7th heaviest player in the league. If he grows as expected for a teenager, he might be the heaviest (Byfuglien weighs a whopping 265).

Point is that the sweet spot for an NHL forward appears to be 5’11” (Crosby, P Kane, Giroux, Duchenne) to 6’4″ (Getzlaf, Staal, Lecavalier, Thornton).

—–
    Moving. Forward.

• shiram says:

McCarron was a risky pick from the start.
      But I’d say they drafted some safer players, and mixed in some riskier like McCarron.
      From what I’ve read, if his skating improves, he could make the NHL and have an impact.

You bring up a good question, I hope this is not the case, but a valid question. I think in the past kids that big just don’t continue their hockey careers, perhaps interested in other sports like basketball, football etc….

Kids are getting bigger by the year, and I think we will see more and more larger men playing hockey as a result. Volleyball players today are now considered average to short at 6’4″ whereas in the past this was the height for elite power hitters. Watching the pro volleyball circuit I now regularly see 6’9″ power hitters with setters at 6’4″. I recognize complete different sport, but a huge change in the players heights.

Chara kind of broke the mold in showing that a real big man can play hockey effectively, and for years even in the pros he looked awkward (yes he still does) and many thought he wouldn’t amount to much.

I hope McCarron makes it, and I think we will continue to see more “big” athletes in the NHL. Goalies have become enormous, isn’t Ben Bishop 6’7″?

• DipsyDoodler says:

The other thing I don’t get is – where are the short muscular guys? All the NFL running backs are short – it’s an advantage. You’d think that prototype (short, fast, powerful) would be perfect for an NHL forward. But maybe the mechanics are different.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• frontenac1 says:

“Is he too big?”. I heard Kim Cattrall asked that once on HBO.

• Loop_Garoo says:

There are a few large D-men though, so you could make an argument that perhaps the larger men are pushed to be defencemen. Statistically, 6 ft is avg for a guy, with the vast majority of men being between 5’9 and 6’1. I am 6’2 and am taller than about 80% of the guys I meet, so assuming that guys over 6ft 4 are pretty rare, and if most of them are placed on defense, then the fact that there are few good forwards of that size may mean nothing at all, just co-incidence. There are a lot of gifted athletes in other sports over 6’4 as well.

• Un Canadien errant says:

There’s a selection bias for big tall players in the NHL, a lot of them are picked on potential rather than production. NHL owners and GM’s have designed their game that way, so they’ll overlook shifty Euros for massive slabs of Canadian beef.

Picking any single group of eight players at random in the NHL, chances are that they’ll be average to mediocre. That a group would include a Sidney Crosby or Daniel Sedin has a low probability, statistically speaking. Factor in the selection bias, and it’s not a surprise that the Group of Eight is not very good.

I read an article three or four years ago on how NFL GM’s love tall quarterbacks, and keep drafting them at 6’6″ or thereabouts based on their potential, the way they look, but before Peyton Manning no one over 6’4″ had ever won a Super Bowl. Kind of fuzzy on the exact numbers, but you see it every year, Ryan Tannehill and Brandon Weeden chosen over Russell Wilson.

• Cal says:

Say that to him when you try to knock him off the puck along the boards. A 25th pick and suddenly everyone is expecting Mario Lemieux?

37. CHicoHab says:

8.5 submitted by PK for arbitration. Knowing that for one year he’d get the middle from MB offer of 5.25. Being 7 mill. In reality as I see it that’s what just happened anyways as first 2 years are at 7 mill. Then jumps to 11 year 3 and 4. The whole thing is Habs didn’t want pay 8.5 or 9 mill next year and the year after that. What’s wrong with that. That’s not unfair. It’s very fair. Took Phanuef a lifetime reach 7 mill. PK got it at 25. Just saying IMO.

38. gmur says:

Just wishful thinking, I suppose… but,

As a 17 year old, Milan Lucic had 19 points in 62 games with the Vancouver Giants in his first year in Junior and 149 minutes in penalties. He was picked 50th in the draft and the Bruins were very surprised he was still available, which may just be happy draft rhetoric, but still…

As stated above, as an 18 year old, McCarron had 34 points in 66 games in his first year junior, as well as 120 penalty minutes. He was drafted 25th.

Lucic never played on a World Canadian Junior team (only Russian super series). He won the Memorial Cup in his second year with the Giants before making the jump to the Bruins. In his first year, the Giants made it to the Memorial Cup but lost.

The Knights made it to the Memorial Cup last year, McCarron didn’t play all that much because of the talent ahead of him… he still had 5 points in 9 games.

In other words, give this guy a chance to develop. Bigger players take longer for the bodies to catch up to them. Let’s see what he can do this year when he gets a lot more offensive responsibilities.

Take a minute to think before calling an 18 year old junior player a ‘bust’.

• HardHabits says:

Nice analysis supported by some good data. I agree.

• bwoar says:

Maybe. I hope so gmur. I don’t think it’s fair to call the kid a bust, not at all. Way too early.

But I’ll also point out: Trevor Timmins drafts poorly in the first round, for which there is ample evidence.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Rumours of your demise were rampant on here.

—–
        Moving. Forward.

• Loop_Garoo says:

I don’t see any evidence for that at all actually. Pretty happy with the last 5 first round picks considering where we drafted, to early to have any idea about McCarron.

• bwoar says:

There are 4 pretty terrible choices that date back to 2003, as well. The jury is still out on Galchenyuk, but both he and Price were top picks and it’s hard to flub those. David Fischer should count as two misses, he whiffed so hard.

I don’t think you can really use the last 3 years’ picks as evidence either; there’s little to show one way or the other on McCarron or Scherbak.

If ever one of Tinordi or Beaulieu lives up to their draft position, I will lay off TT’s 1st round record for good. Promise.

Some groundbreaking news in the NBA, the San Antonio Spurs (arguable the best coached team and perhaps best run team in the league) just hired a new Asst. Coach. Becky Hammon, I believe this is the first Female Asst. coach in league history, and I am not sure any of the big 4 North American Pro Sports have had a female coach.

40. myron.selby says:

My thoughts on THE DEAL:

– fair market value. I think we will see this once a few more high end players sign new deals. The cap is going up and since 50% goes to salaries, they will naturally increase. 3 years from now this deal will look like the norm for high end talent. The upside for players signing long term is the security – if an injury ends their career a week into a new contract they still get paid. The downside is that they will almost always be playing for less than comparable players get by the end of the deal.

– the bridge deal: I said at the time and it played out like I thought. They signed PK to a cheap 2 year deal. He proved himself, they signed him for the maximum 8 years. This allowed them to stake out the maximum number of his UFA years. So for $7.8 M/year they got probably the best 10 years of PK’s career. Very good value and locked up for the max allowable (without running the risk of a 1 year deal).

– I really don’t see this as a loss for anyone involved. Bergevin still seems to be signing deals that make economic sense (possible exception for Briere though he was good in the playoffs in limited ice).

– I thought that perhaps they could have signed PK for less (8 perhaps) if Chicago hadn’t signed Toews and Kane first. But after thinking about it I realized that Don Meehan doesn’t need anyone telling him the realities of the NHL marketplace. This was probably pretty much where we were headed regardless.

– Would Montreal have been better off if they’d signed PK to a 5X5 deal instead of the 2 year bridge? Let’s see – we would have been looking at PK becoming a UFA at 27 with 3 more years cap increases. At that point it could become a bidding war or else we could be looking at $13 or $14 or more on a 7 year deal. No thanks.

• HardHabits says:

Another level headed comment. 2nd good read and I haven’t even gotten half way through this page. Who took away HIO and replaced it with this reason and sanity?

41. CHicoHab says:

You tell em Myron.

42. CHicoHab says:

PK was treated so poorly that he decided to sign 8 years. Imagine if he was treated nice.

43. myron.selby says:

I was at the lake for the long weekend so I got to follow the HIO coverage on my wife’s iPhone (man is that a brutal way to read threads) but I didn’t want to put in my 2 cents worth – when it comes to typing on a cell keyboard I’m all thumbs. Anyway, for what it’s worth here is what really went down:

I was sitting around having a beer at Geoff’s place on Friday, when suddenly he threw down his pool cue and grabbed his phone.

“Hey Marc. Just pay him. I don’t care what it does to your budget and cap room going forward, just sign the damn deal.”

He hung up then turned and said “That bloody Bergevin has made a mess of pretty much everything he’s done so far, but I couldn’t let him screw this one up.”

====================================

I was out for burgers with PK and Don, when PK turned to Don and said “I don’t care if I can get more money in the long run if I wait for the arbitration. I could get injured and damn it, I want to play for the Habs. Just call Bergevin and tell him we’ll take the $72 mill. Just get it done.”

====================================

Marc and Don and PK and I were sitting eating bison steaks when Marc turned to Don and said ” we can go with the $8.5 AAV but only if PK signs for 8 years, not 5.”

Don looks over at PK, who gives him a little nod, and Don says “We can go with the 8 years, but only if you can go $9 M instead of $8.5.”

Marc reached over, shook Don’s hand and said “We’ve got ourselves a deal.”

=============================

What do you mean I wasn’t there for those conversations? Wait, neither was anyone else, not the commentariat, not Jack Todd or Sean McIndoe or anyone else. Nobody outside the inner circle has the slightest idea how this agreement came about.

I can understand all the speculation. But I find it truly amazing how many HIO’ers (and sports reporters) are making such categorical statements about the course of events – Molson stepped in, Bergevin caved etc., etc.

All I know is they got the deal done and the team seems to be headed in the right direction on most fronts.

44. on2ndthought says:

all this TV talk is starting to make me nervous. For the past couple of years I could catch most games on CBC, TSN or TSN-Montreal (which only carried Habs’ games) and ALL games on RDS (if no english coverage or if that coverage became too annoying).

Do I have to have RDS, TVAsports, TSN, etc? I have Sportsnet, I thought , great, all games will be on sportsnet east. Now I’m worried.

“a cannonading drive”

• mark-ID says:

From what I understand, all the National english televised games will be split up between Sportsnet, City, and CBC. They will be alotting different channels to the different games on tv that night.
      TVA sports will have the french broadcasts.

All Regional games will be televised on RDS. However, you will need to be in the Montreal region(East of Belleville I believe), or else they will be blacked out.

So you will need to make sure you have all sorts of different channels. It will add to all our bills for sure.

45. Psycho29 says:

Not very good news….

Philadelphia Flyers‏ @NHLFlyers ·15m

INJURY UPDATE: D Kimmo Timonen is being treated for blood clots in his right leg & both lungs.

46. Chris says:

Looking through the US World Junior list, it seems like their coaching staff has a STRONG preference for NCAA players. Only 5 players out of 27 are in the CHL, and 4 of those play with the US-based Portland Winterhawks (3) or Tri-City Americans (1). Goaltender Brandon Halverson, who plays with the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds, was the only player on a Canadian-based team.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Interesting. I think coaches tend to go with players they know, so if the U.S. team has NCAA coaches, they’ll want some of the players they saw play the last couple of seasons.

I wonder about the makeup of Team Canada this season, whether we’ll see more LHJMQ players with Benoit Groulx as the coach.

One of the knocks against Brent Sutter last season, and this may just be Canadiens-fan bias, is that he favoured WHL grinders over players like Charles Hudon who can actually score and create chances. He only started to rely on him near the end of the tourney, possibly too late.

We like to think in terms of ‘best player available’, and say things like ‘regardless of language’, but familiarity plays a huge part in these selections. We already saw how Coach Groulx had kind words for Jérémy Gregoire, who he’s faced off against for a couple of seasons. It’s only natural that everything being somewhat equal, he’ll want the young Grégoire on his team, as opposed to another unknown WHL worker bee. When you have a chance to bring a player who’s caused you headaches in the past onto your team, you take it. It’s what Bill Belichick did with Wes Welker.

• JF says:

I would say what you call a knock against Brent utter is a knock against Team Canada generally the last few years and part of the reason we haven’t done well. The teams tend to have been made up of too larger a proportion of physical, grinding players, with too few skilled playmakers and scorers. In fact I think Hockey Canada right across the board gives too much emphasis to gritty, physical play at the expense of skill.

47. shiram says:

Has it been confirmed whether or not there’s a NTC/NMC on Subbans contract?
    Capgeek does not list any for him.

• DipsyDoodler says:

No NTC or NMC allowable until 2016-17. He could be traded tomorrow.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• shiram says:

But there’s no word on if he has them after those dates, right?

• Loop_Garoo says:

Dipsy those last 5 words in your post may create a major firestorm around here.

• DipsyDoodler says:

You know what, I’m not 100% sure Bergevin and Therrien wouldn’t trade PK, left to their own devices. I’m starting to believe the party line that Molson intervened at the last minute. If PK was asking $9M why did it go to arbitration? First player to go to an arbitration hearing since 2011.

We all assume that Bergevin is a good GM but was he one step away from a Rejean Houle grade blunder?

The fact is that PK has been treated poorly by management.

Add some very bad decisions last off-season (McCarron, Parros, Murray, Briere) and I’m not so sure about this guy’s acumen.

—–
          Moving. Forward.

• DipsyDoodler says:

And just think about the unholy mess if the arbitration process had been completed.
            —–
            Moving. Forward.

Good to know the truth, I didn’t realize PK had in FACT been treated poorly, also wasn’t aware that McCarron is indeed a bust. And also didn’t realize that the 1 year minimal salary paid to Murray to perform a role in which he did, was in fact a very bad decision.

Time we fire this AssHat of a GM, lets get this party started!

• DipsyDoodler says:

I believe PK Subban has been treated poorly by the Canadiens.

—–
            Moving. Forward.

• habcertain says:

There is no doubt that a little more respect was warranted, this really goes back to pre-coach days for MT. It would seem that Molson would have had to intervene, when an arbitration had begun, and within 24 hours you are giving the guy $9m. Why go to arbitration? Is there something MB heard there that suddenly changed his mind? They clearly have, in the past, underestimated his ability and character, I don’t think that is in doubt by any hockey mind. Now stick an A on his jersey and move past it, they were wrong.

• on2ndthought says:

“The fact is that PK has been treated poorly by management.”
            The fact is management agreed to pay him $72M!!
            Re: McCarron: some convincing posts below point to him being NHL ready at 24, personally I’m hoping for 4th line status at 22, maxing out as third line bruiser at 25 or 26. Either way too early to call a bad decision.

Parros as enforcer was the latest in a long line of imported ‘Defence Against the Dark Arts’ professors who’ve run into troubles. I expect MB will try again. Briere and Murray: WAIT! Didn’t we make it to the ECF last year??????

“a cannonading drive”

• Cal says:

He’s been trying to bait people all day.

48. Slackman says:

So Genie is dating the Bruins’ Jordan Caron? And PK is “flirting” with Genie. He’s climbing into the Bruins’s heads and the season hasnt even started yet! Gotta love’im

———————————————————————————–

• Slackman says:

Caron is probbly groaning, saying, “This guy gain?”

———————————————————————————–

• habsfan0 says:

Caron played in 7 of the Bruins’ 12 playoff games this past season,notching 1 goal (vs Detroit).
      i.e., a non factor.

That’s all PK has to know.

• CH Marshall says:

Dmn, a Bruin? Come on, Genie! Get with the program! (and here I thought she was dating Chucky)

49. flowerpower_74 says:

I have a question about TVA sports. Is it the same channel as TVA or is it a completely different channel that we have to subscribe to?

Montreal Canadiens-2013 and forever Northeast Division Champs

• mark-ID says:

They are two different channels. Depending on your provider and package of course….you will probably have to subscribe to TVA sports. It might be included if you order a french package that would most likely include all of RDS, TVA…and TVA sports.

• Un Canadien errant says:

from http://relentlessineptitude.blogspot.ca/2013/08/renaud-lavoie-leaves-cushy-rds-for-tva.html

TVA was/is the ‘main’ private broadcast channel, as opposed to public broadcaster Radio-Canada, it’s like CTV to CBC.

TVA Sports is the specialty offshoot of TVA, kind of like CTV Sportsnet was to CTV at its inception.

• Cal says:

TVA Sports spends all that money just to ensure that RDS is not a national broadcaster, screwing over all Habs fans west of Belleville, Ontario. We can all thank that bleeping Peladeau.
      All the games TVA Sports is showing will be on CBC,Rogers or City.
      It’s the playoffs that worry me.

Anyone else notice the new format for Sports Illustrated website, now that it is no longer CNNSI, I really find it more tabloidish.
    Just a non hockey observation.

51. Un Canadien errant says:

Sean McIndoe on P.K. Subban’s contract:

———————————————————————–
    It’s somewhere between a toothless attack and a vicious homage.–Paul Rudd

52. Un Canadien errant says:

Listening to TSN Montreal, and they’re saying Eugénie Bouchard is dating the Bruins’ Jordan Caron.

Is P.K. barking up the wrong tree, setting himself up as Alberto Tomba with Katarina Witt?

———————————————————————–
    It’s somewhere between a toothless attack and a vicious homage.–Paul Rudd

53. Un Canadien errant says:

Not great news in Michael’s case, but this had to be expected, the coaches have to go on what they saw last season. Mike himself said in an interview that he needed to have a great start to his season to have a shot at the US WJC team.

So best-case scenario, the U.S. coaches would have been wowed by his physical development, which was noted by the Canadiens at the prospect development camp, and by his performance at their camp, and would have wanted a closer look. Failing that, now we fall back on his drive and diligence working out with Jarred Tinordi in London, and getting off to a great start next fall, and earning a WJC spot that way.

———————————————————————–
    It’s somewhere between a toothless attack and a vicious homage.–Paul Rudd

54. HabFab says:

So Sheldon Souray is getting married again to another hottie. The soon to be next;

Paging Timo…

55. Maritime Ronn says:

No one should get too excited about this.

Brian Bickell of the Hawks was drafted only 16 spots behind where McCarron was drafted (41st vs. 25th)

Bickell became a regular with the Hawks at age 24.
    McCarron is only 19 and turns 20 next March 2015.
    McCarron’s story has yet to be written….although some already believe it is.

Bickell wasn’t drafted for his finesse – never represented Canada – scored 20 something goals per season in his OHL career….but does he ever show up at NHL playoff time.

His battles with Chara when the Hawks won the Cup in 2013 were a big factor towards that win along with his 9 goals 17 points in 23 playoff games.

• Loop_Garoo says:

Great post, and so true. I always figured McCarron’s best case was to play in the NHL at 23. I figure this year much better in junior, then one bad AHL year, then one better AHL year, then he gets his first real shot. There is no question that Montreal took a bit of a risk with this pick (mind you at 25 they are all risky), probably worth it given the potential.

• Chris says:

To be fair, Bickell’s last season in the OHL was outstanding: 67 GP, 45 goals and 83 points split between Windsor and Ottawa, and then 5 goals and 10 points in 7 games in the playoffs.

Like you, I’m not expecting McCarron to pan out or flop until he’s 23 or 24 years old. The best thing that could happen for him would be if fans can adjust their expectations accordingly. He will hopefully have a great season in the OHL this year, and then he will probably struggle for a couple of years in the AHL as he adjusts to the greater speed of the professionals. Once he gets that down, then we can start worrying about his NHL prospects.

56. twilighthours says:

Just re-read the Dellow stuff on Colin Campbell, Marc Savard, and that poor referee. Truly incredible that Campbell still has a job.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Hi Twi

The big surprise was how the mainstream media almost completely ignored the story.

The stuff in those alleged email exchanges easily warranted the immediate dismissal of Campbell from the NHL.

How he survived is anyone’s guess, yet one could believe in a conspiracy theory about the Bettman/Bruins owner and NHL Chairman Jacobs may have had something to do with that…
      Remember Max-Chara? The hockey play?

• scamorza says:

thanks for sharing and good to see that you are ok and not submerged somewhere on the 407. Man Burlington has had a rough couple of weeks. Oh look more frigging rain!

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

57. HabFab says:

I thought TVA Sports was only doing 22 games next season? That schedule has them doing every one.

58. habs-fan-84 says:

Let the freak out begin ;)

59. JUST ME says:

I do not think we should make a big thing out of this nor do i think that we can judge his progress as we do with other type of players.

I have a hard time seeing him within the best of his country but also one must admit that his type of hockey player is not one you look for in such a tournament.

60. twilighthours says:

Just registered my daughter for hockey. As we were leaving the rink, we nearly ran smack into Brad Marchand. Yes, the nose really is that big. He was with some of his chums – and man did they have the arrogant swagger of hockey players.

Do I really want my kids to play this sport? For years I’ve been waiting to watch my kids play hockey. Now that it’s about to happen, I’m mostly indifferent. The atmosphere at the rink is so much different than at the ski hill or at a running race. A different vibe altogether.

• shiram says:

Is it a mixed league? It would depend on how old she is, I would think.

Anyways, the women from the Olympic team all seemed like a very nice bunch, and it leads me to wonder if the culture is different in those ranks.
      Hitting, fighting and general physicality is not as much on the center stage there.

• Chris says:

Some of the women on the national team are great, but they are no different than the men. There are some real jerks there too.

• twilighthours says:

She’s 5. My boy is 3. More just wondering if this is a sport I really want to push my kids in to. I loved it growing up, but I barely play it now and most of that is due to the arseholes who play it.

• shiram says:

Fair enough.
          As she shown any interest in sports at all?

One of my younger cousin got into speed skating and really loved it, but at first her parents wanted her to do figure skating, trying the figure skating led her to it.

Maybe let her try some and she can then better choose.

I would not think at that age the kids are the problems, but maybe the adults around the rink are?

• twilighthours says:

She loves everything she tries. See below.

And yes, I’m a believe that it’s the parents. My years involved with the high school team have convinced me of that.

• on2ndthought says:

Don’t let your daughter ever play hockey… for the Boston Bruins!!!

Seriously my daughters played from Novice to PeeWee, and with a couple of exceptions (which were real learning experiences for them) were treated extremely well. Most of the crazy parents are gunning for the double letter teams, and the girls were absorbed into a real extended family atmosphere. Enjoy these times, Twi, they are as brief as a sunrise.
      “a cannonading drive”

• scamorza says:

i have had the pleasure of coaching Gillian Apps close to 20 years ago – would suggest that it may be a different vibe when it comes to the women’s hockey game. They are just as competitive and want to win but there is less arrogance IMHO. Have coached special Olympics floor hockey the last 6 years and that is an altogether different vibe – just as competitive and will to win but after the game is done they are hugging each other and laughing – true sportsmanship in my opinion – something that Lucic can learn. Anyway appreciate the sentiment hope your daughter finds a sport, hopefully even hockey, that she can enjoy and make Dad proud

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• twilighthours says:

Thx. She already loves skiing and soccer. She’s desperate to come trail running with me (she’s not ready yet), so I’m not worried about her finding a sport, but the right one for her confidence and self-esteem.

Cause that’s what it’s about: finding a sport that you enjoy and feel good about.

• scamorza says:

you have that right, regardless of gender, capability etc sports is such an important part of life – organized sports can be fun but there is no denying that lacing up a pair of running shoes and going out to run either alone, with Dad or a running room group is so easy. Have a friend who got into running later in life and now his 11 year old is beating him in 5km and his 10 year old daughter is not that far behind

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• Chris says:

I’ve been around the Guelph Storm long enough that you can see that most of the players are good people. Some of them are great people. And of course, some of them are complete jerks.

All popular team sports have that. I’ve seen the arrogant swagger among players of basketball, soccer, hockey, football, rugby, baseball and increasingly even in a supposedly “friendly” sport like ultimate.

I wouldn’t sweat it too much. If your kids get into it, great. If not, there are ton of other activities they might like just as much, sporting or otherwise.

The hardest situations seem to be the ones where very sporty parents end up with a kid who doesn’t at all enjoy sports. Saw that a few times coaching soccer, and it was always a little awkward seeing a kid encouraged to go out and try sport after sport with no enthusiasm whatsoever. I don’t have any idea what you do in a situation like that. My social life revolves around sports (soccer, tennis, ultimate, skating/shinny/hockey), so I can’t imagine life without sporting activities in it.

• twilighthours says:

I was one of those competitive jerks when I played Ultimate.

• HabFab says:

Same here, so I worried about becoming “one of those parents” and encouraged but never pushed my boys in sports! They all seem to enjoy the Scouting program better so that became our thing.

• Chris says:

Ultimate is a funny game…it desperately needs referees for legitimacy. Relying on super-competitive people to self-police is just a recipe for disaster when you get to higher level games. I remember playing a game where two future members of one of the women’s national teams argued a call for 15 minutes. The rest of the players on both teams were happy to go with the call on the field and keep playing, but those two just HAD to be acknowledged as being right.

I think they are on the fast-track to Olympic status, and the success of the Toronto Rush as a spectator sport makes me wonder if we won’t see that sport really take off.

• scamorza says:

Chris bang on… its funny you always read that hockey players are a bit of a different breed compared to other NA major sports that I will define as basketball, baseball and football. Not sure if that is true. I met Jose Theodore early on in his career and I have to admit he was a really down to earth kind of guy whereas his playing partner back then – Thibault – was well lets just say not impressed. Agree with you for the most part on the gender thing but haven’t really seen too many issues like hazing, assault etc with women. Then again even in the case of a men’s team sometimes a few bad apples results in the whole team being impacted as the latest with the U of O men’s hockey team shows.
        come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• HabFab says:

A few years back was visiting a house in CH. Neighbors of Sid’s parents and in fact the daughter had gone to school with him until he went off to play hockey. Their 20 year old son comes tearing up from the den and said he was going out. His mother asked where and his reply was that his friends had called that Marchand had showed up at a local watering hole. “A fan?” I asked. “He!! no, we are going to go beat the living crap out of that arrogant piece of crap”* … not even respected in his own home town :)

* some words have been changed so that it could be rated G.

• habsfan0 says:

You nearly ran smack into Brad Marchand and you didn’t slew foot him?
      I wouldn’t have let that opportunity pass.

61. Dunboyne Mike says:

Jim!

“Towering Inferno” (dedicated to all fire-fighters):

Good thing, bad thing?

62. Dunboyne Mike says:

About the Everton player giving match tickets to Liverpool’s unemployed:

Thanks to all who replied — left the computer the minute I started that conversation! Sorry!

63. on2ndthought says:

I sometimes think tall players just don’t look fast. In highlights I see, McCarron never seems to be in a hurry, but always is in the mix. Beliveau and the “Little M” were similar (skating-wise, talent-wise I think MB is looking for a Prust-type development) hmmm a 6’5″ Prust!

“a cannonading drive”

• Chris says:

McCarron’s problem isn’t so much his top-speed, which is a bit below average but plenty good enough for a man of his size. Instead, it is his acceleration, which is simply terrible. The start-stop nature of live games just doesn’t fit his skating style. That is the area where he can improve his game the most…last season, he spent far too much time gliding around at the blue line in the defensive zone trying to maintain his speed. On those occasions where he had to try to get to a puck from a standstill, you really see his lack of quickness.

Here is a pretty good article outlining how NHL teams use “fancystats” it shows how yes they are important, but you still have to watch the player and know his tendencies. The example of Benoit Pouliot is excellent.

• on2ndthought says:

Pouliot appears to have all the tools except neurons. He has changed his game dramatically, and his O-zone penalties are often a result of trying too hard (as opposed to trying a lazy check) , as are many of Eller’s. He needs good coaching, he got it from AV last year, let’s see if Eakins can give him a role he can play in.

“a cannonading drive”