Habs prospect Hudon wants another shot with Team Canada

Canadiens prospect Charles Hudon is looking pretty good for a fifth-round draft pick.

Hudon, a 5-foot-10, 177-pound forward, is one of two Canadiens prospects taking part in the Team Canada summer development camp in preparation for this year’s world junior tournament in Malmo, Sweden. The other is goalie Zach Fucale, the Canadiens’ second-round pick at this year’s NHL draft.

The first part of the camp, which was held at the Canadiens’ Brossard practice facility, wrapped up on Monday before the players headed to Lake Placid, N.Y., to play three exhibition games against Finland on Wednesday, Sweden on Thursday and the United States on Saturday.

Hudon, who was the 122nd overall pick at the 2012 NHL draft, turned heads at last summer’s Canada-Russia Challenge series with a goal and two assists in four games. He went on to make Team Canada for last year’s world junior tournament, but wasn’t able to play because of a back injury.

“What happened last year was a very difficult thing for me to deal with – a huge disappointment,” Hudon told Canadiens.com. “It was so hard for me to come back to Canada with nothing hanging around my neck. Right now I’m taking things day by day; employing the same strategy that (Team Canada coach Brent) Sutter is using with our team. Take things one day at a time and don’t think about tomorrow.”

Hudon added that he still hasn’t fully recovered from the back injury that limited him to 56 games with the QMJHL’s Chicoutimi Sagueneens last season, when he posted 30-41-71 totals. He also played nine games with the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs, posting 1-2-3 totals.

“Charles will surprise a lot of people who don’t really know him,” Ryan Jankowski, the head scout for Hockey Canada, told Canadiens.com. “He’s very well regarded by the people in this program who’ve been there before me, know his abilities and know what he could bring to the table.”

(Photo by Marie-France Coallier/The Gazette)

Hudon, Fucale eye spots on Team Canada, Canadiens.com

Team Canada camp includes three games in Lake Placid, Hockeycanada.ca

1. Bill says:

@Chuck: Wow, I remember that vividly. I thought my November 2007 date was legit, but I guess I’ve been here longer than I thought.

That was a really sad time. No idea how Gainey kept it going through that at all. He’s a great man.

2. Chuck says:

I checked the Internet Archive for the oldest stored edition of *ahem* Habs Inside/Out. The page is from December 7-10, 2006. Remember the maroon?

By the way, the story at the top of the page made me a little misty. I’ll never forget when it was posted. :(

__________________________________________________
    Anyone but the Sens! (Check.) And Boston (Triple check.) Oh, and the Laffs, too. (Double check.)

3. Ed says:

Hobie mentioned that Tinordi could be a key variable this year, and I totally agree.

He will make the team – especially with Emelin out. He will play 2nd line penalty kill and 3rd pairing defence.

I expect Tinordi will develop very nicely but not too rapidly – maybe having some difficult patches from time to time.

Hope he stays clear of the heavyweight fighting as well.

• on2ndthought says:

new thread, but I will say that is another good reason to dress Parros, if you want to give Tinordi ice-time, protect him. I still think he starts in Hamilton and they give Drewiske a shot.

“a cannonading drive”

4. Mr. Biter says:

Was watching part of the Canada/Russia 1987 game on TSN last night at Boston Pizza for the youngest son’s birthday. Wow the stick work and late hits by both teams was brutal (epically after goals). But it was a “Hell of a Game”. Old time hockey.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

5. Mavid says:

watching some stupid show about Vikings..common Sept 15th

6. Un Canadien errant says:

TVA is the private ‘main’ broadcast channel to Radio-Canada, so trini’s analogy is correct, it’s like CTV to CBC. When I growing up, Radio-Canada, the french arm of the CBC, generally showed or attempted to show quality programming, while TVA showed all shlock and dubbed American shows like “CHiPS” and “SWAT”.

Radio-Canada had “La Soirée du Hockey” on Saturday nights, which was a professional, almost highbrow telecast, with quality announcers like René Lecavalier, Gilles Tremblay, Richard Garneau, Claude Quenneville, and Lionel Duval among others. It was sponsored by Molson, and during the ‘beer wars’ of the eighties, Labatt got some injunction from the courts to be allowed to air Nordiques games, and they were shown on TVA, with awful on-air clowns and production values. Sometimes they would bump a Canadiens game on Saturdays and force us to watch a Nordiques games, and I would go insane. I knew it was futile, but I never bought Labatt’s products ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAo2j6VE98E (watch for the cameo by Chris Nilan at the 1:45 mark, and Pat Burns as an analyst at 3:00)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2BGbSVGCwM (intro to La Soirée du Hockey, for the first ever Canadiens-Nordiques game, with an outline of the changes after the 1979 Cup win, and an interview with Serge Savard, named Captain after Yvan Cournoyer’s retirement)

TVA had other less than stellar moments, such as an election in the eighties, when they proudly bragged beforehand that they had a new computer, which was high-tech stuff at the time, and it would allow faster reporting of the results and earlier projection of the winners. So at the start of the program, they had a trendy digital graphic on the bottom showing the results, how many Parti Québécois candidates were leading, how many Libérals, how many Union Nationales and Créditistes, and surprisingly a Marxiste-Léniniste or two. As the election results came in, more and more Marxistes started leading their ridings, but also some Rhinocéros, Communiste, etc. After a while, they realized they had a problem, because no one else was reporting what they were seeing, on any other channel, so they turned off their computer and went back to the old manual tallying of votes, but they didn’t have the staff on hand for that, they thought they were automated. Their election night was a shambles, and they announced they’d use Radio Canada’s results, a ‘courtoisie’ among colleagues.

When they investigated later, they realized they’d done a BASIC programming error, where a subroutine would attribute votes to the candidate based on alphabetical order, which is how so many fringe parties were thought to be leading. For years after, ‘l’ordinateur du dix’ (the Montréal TVA station was Télé-Métropole on channel 10) was the source of great mirth in Québec, and an easy way to deride a popsicle stand of a TV network. When they’d have technical difficulties, everyone would pipe up that it was time to “déploguer l’ordinateur du dix”. If your paycheque was wrong and you were working it out with your boss, he’d scratch his head and agree with you, and say that it must have been calculated by ‘l’ordinateur du dix’.

Fast-forward to today, and RDS is now doing the Canadiens’ broadcast, and after what I thought was a rough start, with Yvon Pednault among others being an irritant to the eardrums, are now doing a great job, Pierre Houde and Marc Denis at the forefront. RDS is the French equivalent to TSN, and owned by Bell.

TVA Sports is the specialty offshoot of TVA, kind of like CTV Sportsnet was to CTV at its inception, and is the competitor to RDS. It is without Canadiens’ broadcast rights, is owned by Vidéotron, which is a Pierre Péladeau company. I’ve never seen any of their programming, but to stay competitive, they cover the Canadiens and have an ‘Antichambre’ of their own, with Jacques Martin as a regular guest I believe. They’re jockeying for position with RDS, and getting ready for a day when Mr. Péladeau receives his NHL franchise and uses the taxpayer-built Nouveau Colisée to provide content for his networks, that he’ll then use to extort usurious fees out of the Québec viewers, who are already paying for his team through their taxes.

As far as Renaud Lavoie jumping to TVA Sports good for him for the probable raise he got, but I’m sorry to see him go, he’s excellent, and I put him on equal footing with Bob McKenzie in terms of the quality of his sources and his reliability. I’ll miss not seeing him on RDS. He’ll improve TVA Sports, they’ve had some clowns on there, I think Louis Jean is one of them. Not even watching them, but catching their stuff from Twitter being bandied about on here, they’ve made some really bad mistakes and had some scoops that were plain wrong. I know there was more than one, but the one I remember was when Marc Bergevin was announced as GM and he began the housecleaning, one of the TVA Sports guys, it might have been Louis Jean, beat everyone to the punch and said Scott Gomez was being bought out. Which nobody else picked up on, Bob McKenzie and Renaud Lavoie said nothing for a few hours, then tweeted that that wasn’t the case. I’m sure a few greybeards in Québec clucked like I did that it must have been the fault of ‘l’ordinateur du dix’.

———————————————————————–
    … you know, because there’s no way hundreds of overcompetitive stars with massive egos would ever cheat to gain an edge with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake..–Bill Simmons

Your attention to detail in providing background on stories is amazing Normand. Thanks for the TVA history lesson, much appreciated. As a person growing up in Manitoba and now living in Ontario i had no idea about the background of TVA.

Have a good evening bud.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Lavoie is good but leaving RDS is not smart. He just went from the station that covers the Habs to the station that sometimes shows Bulldogs games. What show will he be on TVA? When LeBrun went from CBC to TSN he was on more hockey games. Whatever popularity Lavoie has now will dwindle with the less exposure and especially if his replacement does well at RDS. Money is not always the most important thing…

• Ed says:

I think TVA will get the next Quebec franchise and that is most definitely happening. They have started building the arena.

And once that happens, Lavoie will be their NHL Top Gun.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I question the move too, I wish he hadn’t done it. It must have come with a big raise and other considerations. He must have had some assurances and enticements.

I think back to when Damien Cox went to Sportsnet, leaving TSN. He might have more airtime on Sportsnet, but he’s surrounded by clowns and lost some of his prestige I think. At TSN, his acerbic tone and controversial nature worked well on “The Reporters”. Dave Hodge’s forceful personality and formidable intellect kept him in check, as did the authority with which Michael Farber can bring to a discussion.

I’ll miss Renaud Lavoie. Out here, there are no providers who carry TVA Sports.

7. mrhabby says:

If anyone cares check out an excellent article by Eric Engels on Price and Luongo. Found it in Eklund rumours page..
    It’s a great read.

8. Mark C says:

Ran into some interesting stuff on HFBoards. The Flyers have a new behind the screen show called “Flight plan,” a recent episode showed the Flyers war room at the NHL draft. Since it is the offseason and there are no Canadiens beat writers cars to vandalize, those buggers went all Napoleon Dynamite, showing sweet computer skills to make out part of the Flyers draft list. Lo and behold, a certain Jacob de la Rose and Mike McCarron were ranked 22 and 23 respectively.

Also, on HFBoards, Grant McCagg posted that while enjoying pops with Ottawa’s Asst. GM in Lake Placid, he was told by the Asst. GM that McCarron was a lock for the WJC team for him, and was a top-20 prospect on Ottawa’s board.

Can we finally put to rest the sentiment of some posters that McCarron was a reach at 25, a future bust with no skills, who can’t skate, and was only picked because of his size?

Interesting information Mark, thanks for posting that. I think a key factor easily overlooked is the role of Dudley. He is widely considered to be an absolute eye for talent/super scout. I have to believe he also watched some of McCarron and provided an endorsement of this choice.

I remain hopeful that MB and company have a good idea of what is needed, but aren’t foolish enough to throw common sense to the wind in the search for size.

• Mark C says:

Good point on Dudley. Between him, Timmins, Frank Jay, MB and the rest of the group, people should always feel pretty good about the Habs selections.

• Ed says:

a reach at 25? yes. if he was 6’2 instead of 6’5 he would not have gone top 40.

a future bust? well, how is that defined? if you accept that 1 st round pick should be a solid top 9 NHL player and pushing top 6, then McCarron needs to step on his horse and develop his skating to NHL standards. Right now he would be projected to be a 4th liner and pushing to get top 9 minutes – definitely not quick enough or skilled enough for top 6.

can he skate? yes. of course. If you judged skating alone, without size, I would say he would be bottom 20 % of the 210 picks in the draft however, because everyone who gets drafted is a skater.

BUT HE DOES HAVE THE SIZE!!

And that is the point, after all. Because if he develops, he can push his way into the Habs top 9 as a 3rd liner, and then, you never know.

When Lucic arrived on the scene he was not instantly a top 6 player, nor was he instantly seen as a great homerun pick. Only 34 goals in his first 199 games. To this day, watching him hunched over, he looks terrible out there and his skating is certainly not his strength.

So let’s see what he can do in London. We should know a lot more watching him in next year’s WJC and then the Memorial Cup!

I wish those tournaments started tomorrow!

• Un Canadien errant says:

Thanks for the info Mark, great stuff. I was surprised at the Mike McCarron pick at first, asked if he was this year’s Tyler Biggs or Tom Wilson, and boy did we laugh at those selections when they were made, especially Mr. Biggs by the Leafs. But everything so far has been positive about Mike McCarron, seems like a big kid, a little goofy but in the way that you’d love to have him as a teammate. Everyone says the same thing, his skating is pretty good for a huge guy like him, and he has good hands, not bricks. Nice get on he and Jacob de la Rose being prized by the Flyers.

• Ed says:

Biggs put up decent numbers in Oshawa last season, his first in the OHL. He looks like he’s developing very nicely.

26 goals, 27 assists, in 60 games.

Wilson also had his best season in the OHL at 23 goals 35 assists in 48 games. Not too shabby either.

I think McCarron will be very pleased if he hits those numbers.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Also supposedly had Lehkonen at 50 and Andrighetto at 104. No idea about Fucale…

• twilighthours says:

Thanks, Mark. That’s great stuff. Like Ed stresses, his skating doesn’t look great, but maybe if it just gets to average we still have a gem.

HIO is one great happy family.
    This is the second night in a row to bring out the family album and remminis, tonight even Timo is giving HUGS!

• Mr. Biter says:

Hi Ian,
      Sorry I can’t make the Summit this year as it falls one week before I finish my work schedule but Mr. Biter will defiantly try to make it next year.
      Have a great time.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

10. habstrinifan says:

Maybe someone who follows sport primarily in French can respond..

Isnt RDS a bigger operation and with greater clientele than TVA. Is TVA bigger in radio?

Isnt TVA like CTV Quebec.. heavy into sports but not primarily sports.

• JUST ME says:

Tvasports is owned by Quebecor so…$$$$ But reality in this market is that if you do not have the Habs on your schedule you are doomed. So audience is not big and they have all the leftover hosts that used to be elsewhere but are not good enough to be the first choice and became the first to go…

I guess you can compare TVA to CTV the way you do. The own papers ,tv channels,music stores ,video stores ,cable tv provider and so on…

• on2ndthought says:

TVA used to cover the Habs games, but lost out to RDS. Maybe they’re planning a bid once the RDS contract is up? I don’t know when that is .

“a cannonading drive”

• Thurston says:

Either that, or they’re convinced Peledeau is getting a team in Quebec City and thus the network is getting ready to broadcast Nordiques games.

11. Stevie.Ray says:

Has anyone read anything or heard anything about Gallagher this season? Specifically what type of training regiment he’s been on. Always curious about what they do in the offseason.

Who do you think will get hit by the sophomore slump more? Galchenyuk or Gallagher?

• habstrinifan says:

I think Galchenyuk will enter the season more with a rookie’s mindset. So I will say Gallagher could be in some difficulties, especially if the starts the season with the same emphasis as he ended the season.. which in my opinion was where he places too much emphasis on being a tough-nosed guy for the team. I hope he just play his strong game without feeling any pressure to be the ‘character’ guy for the line.

• Stevie.Ray says:

I hope they both do well, but I would expect Galchenyuk to have a tougher season. To me, it seemed like he was always just an inch off. His passes hit sticks, his shots caught defensemen’s shins, and his dekes were always so close to being amazing but ultimately went slightly awry. To me it looked like he was still adjusting to the speed and size of the NHL, and bad puck luck. I hope it doesn’t happen again this year. As for Gallagher, I don’t think anything can phase this kid. Nothing breaks his stride.

• punkster says:

Moving in with Parros for protection…already consumed half a cow…elevator shoe/skate inserts on order from Sears.

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

• Strummer says:

Gally’s father is the strength and conditioning coach for the Vancouver Giants of the WHL which explains why he is able to compete at the NHL level.
      Suffice to say Gally will be well- prepared come training camp as usual.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Mr. Biter says:

I believe Gallagher was taking certain pills to “Increase his size”, however he did not read the bottles correctly and only one part of his anatomy had tremendous growth.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

HIO SUMMIT HOTEL RATE AGREEMENT
    Hockey Inside Out
    REQUIREMENT
    Arrival : Friday 25th, 26th October, 2013 – check-in 15:00
    Departure : check-out 12:00
    Housing Procedure: Individual calling
    Deadline: September 25th 2013
    Method of Payment : Individual
    Although the hotel is not blocking any rooms, it guarantees the below rates until September 25th 2013.
    After that date, the rates are no longer guaranteed

Tarification
    Single Double Triple Quad
    $119 $119 $144 $169
    RATES
    - Are for single or double occupancy, Add $25 per additional person, max. 4 per room
    - Include Basic Internet Access (256kb)
    - Does not include high speed internet. a daily fee of $9.95 applies
    - All tax’s apply per room per night
    - Will be extended 3 days prior to and/or following your event, subject to availability
    - Are quoted in Canadian funds

METHOD OF RESERVATION
    - Individual attendees will be responsible for payment of their room, tax and incidental, as well as any cancellation charges if they apply.
    - One night deposit is required upon reservation. This is non refundable if cancelled.

- Individual reservations can be made by contacting the Novotel Montreal Centre Reservations Department directly by phone at 514-871-2138 or 1-866-861-6112 (USA and Canada) or by fax at 514-861-6470
    Callers must mention the group name HIO, Hockey Inside Out to ensure they receive the appropriate rate and are included in the guest room block.

Novotel Montreal Center
    Chantal Morin

13. chanchilla says:

nhl and nhlpa agree on goalie pad reduction

inb4 comparisons of price prior to reduction.

14. HabFab says:

See the NHL has a new Head of Officiating. Had a twinge of optimism until I read that Colin remains his boss;

15. Habfan10912 says:

Twi introduced a new term for our drinking years. From this day forward they will be known as the “Fronternac Years”.
    Well played Sir.

16. Bill says:

@HabFab: Is Team USA still a split-squad?

17. ZepFan2 says:

@Da Hema

Found it!

AdBlock for iOS – Must Have App for iOS 6 – for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch

———————————————————————-
    Ka is a wheel.

“On we sweep, with threshing oar.
    Our only goal will be the Stanley Cup!” – Danno

For Your Life

18. Bill says:

@Ron: I forgot about Timo’s ban completely! I had “Free Timo” in my sig for months it seemed. I still don’t know why that happened … anyone remember? Timo, care to share?

19. HabFab says:

WOW!!

Renaud Lavoie – Leaving RDS for @TVASports It was a great ride and I’m so thankful. I wanted a new challenge and got it. Can’t wait for that ride to start.

20. Hobie Hansen says:

So the boys around the office are getting pumped that training camps are about a month away. I work in Ottawa so you can imagine what I have to deal with. Lots of trash talking after last year’s playoffs.

My coworkers are oblivious to the fact that Montreal had some key injuries last year during the series and basically they believe the Sens romped us with ease and that the Habs are a pile of garbage.

The time to gripe about what Bergevin didn’t do during the off season is over. There were also some upset about both players he did acquire, for different reasons, as well.

There’s still some tiny forwards on the roster and they’re a little thin on defence, but they’re not horrible. The absolute key to success with this team is staying healthy. Health in the playoffs for the Habs has been the killer the last 3 or 4 years they’ve qualified.

If Pacioretty, Eller and Emelin were healthy in the playoffs last year, Gionta too, it would have been much longer of a series.

Maybe that impressive season, before the crash and burn down the stretch, wasn’t a mirage or fluke? Maybe the Habs can keep that pace going for an entire 82 games next season?

I’ve been a Habs fan since birth 37 years ago. So realistically, I can clearly remember everything after I was 10 years old. That’s 27 years of watching the Habs, not too shabby! There’s some old timers around here that could put me to shame but all I’m saying is I know my stuff, I think. :-)

So my outlook, with all the years of watching the Habs and screaming at the television, sometimes in person, is that the Habs will fall short next season. I could see them placing well in the standings, I think they make it in no problem. But as history has shown, we’re a bit too small and always hurt.

The forwards could overcome the size factor but only if we’re 100% healthy. That means Emelin is playing well, Subban obviously, Gorges bounces back and maybe the most important of them all, Tinordi.

Believe it or not, the season might just rest on Tinordi’s shoulders. If he is good this year, sound defensively, tough, eating lots of minutes as the season progresses, then the Habs have something! Otherwise the defence just doesn’t have enough.

21. HabFab says:

Sweden beat the US 4-0. De La Rose had an assist.
    The Americans have not looked good so far. Not much offensive power it seems.

22. Maritime Ron says:

After a long road trip, it was great to read the answers to my query:
    “… I was just wondering when this site started up – who were some of the first posters – do they still post today – what was the best of times/the worst of times – any memorable threads over the years?”
    ———-
    With little expectation, several took the time to share and put in perspective how long this site has existed – who were the ‘brave trail blazers’ ….and then some new appearances of some appreciated posters from the past according to the same trail blazers.

A wonderful site gentlemen/gentlewomen….a treat to be a part of, with some great characters that cover every spectrum imaginable.

23. Da Hema says:

Here is my complaint-of-the-day: the You Might Also Like “feature” on this site is the most useless waste of space ever designed. It may as well have a link to 1980s German dungeon porn for how accurate it really is. If it were titled “You Might Also Dislike,” it would be more appropriate.

Edit: 50 Things To Do In The US Before You Die? What the hell kind of link is that?

Mr. Ali Berke–shoot out or is it shout out. I never have figured it out.
    Anyway, great to see you back on the board again my friend.
    I posted this to you below.

Very nice to hear from you again Ali, I still remember my 1st beer you bought me at the 1st Summit!, in 2007.
    I need a second chance to visit with you again, and get another one my friend!
    Ian
    phone
    613-968-9807

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

25. Kooch7800 says:

Here is a good game to flash back to:

AK46 pass on the 3rd goal was sick

The vibrator on the ice at 3:52 is also classic

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• on2ndthought says:

Makes you see why AK46 was 10th overall pick! Incredible hands, skating and strength, toughness. Those damn intangibles just ate him up. It was nice to see that penalty shot, again.

“a cannonading drive”

• Steven says:

Wow, Moen looked pretty good back in that video. I completely forgot how good Eller, AK and Moen were. In retrospect, Kostitsyn might not have been bad to resign at a low salary.

• on2ndthought says:

His off the ice stuff was less entertaining (unless you run a gossip column).

“a cannonading drive”

• on2ndthought says:

…and I’m expecting big things (or very many small things done competently) from Moen this year. He had an off year, maybe having Prust confused him a bit as to what his role on the team was. Like it or not, Parros really clears that confusion up.

“a cannonading drive”

26. on2ndthought says:

DeLaRose assist! wow, this is sad ;)

“a cannonading drive”

27. HabFanSince72 says:

For those interested Collberg was not injured too badly:

“Collberg, a Montreal Canadiens prospect who scored a pair of first-period power-play goals Monday, twisted his right knee earlier in the second and did not return to the game. Like Sundqvist, though, Gronborg said the injury doesn’t appear to be serious.

“Collberg’s also pretty good news,” Gronborg said. “Not much swelling. There’s some type of injury in there, but we don’t know the extent of it. We have to wait a little bit longer. He’s probably not going to play [Wednesday]. We’ll go day by day here [but] so far for him it looks pretty good.”

28. Steven says:

Looking at the poll, it seems people are starting to realize Eller has some serious potential. I’d love to know who the 28 who think he’ll put in less than 10 are, though.

I personally voted with what would be the majority(21-30), though I see him on the lower end of that. 22 is my guess.

What are you all predicting?

• Silverthaw says:

Trolls get to vote too…

I had this discussion with my nephew yesterday and told him that if he gets to play the year with the Gally’s he will get 25+…. Told him 27 when he asked me for a number.

He said 21 but is disillusioned being a Flames fan

• Luke says:

I’d have liked a little different range.

0-15
      16-25

I think there is a bigger difference between an 11 and 20 goal scorer than a 15 and 25.

I’m comfortable with 22… Just didn’t like being grouped in with 30.

I’ll take 30 though…

• Habfan10912 says:

I’m also with the majority Steven. I’ll offer one other thought. Lars may not ever be a great scoreer in this league. He does a lot of many different things very well. He’s big, he offers tremendous puck support, he is defensively sound, a lot like Pleks with size. I hope the fandom does not measure him on twine tickling alone.

• twilighthours says:

I’d like to know who the 85 people are who think he’ll score more than 30. Seriously? What are you seeing that I’m not? I think the absolute upper limit from Lars will be 24-25 goals. I think he’s more likely in the 18-22 range. He’s just not a great finisher. He’s also not a great playmaker – holds on to the ppuck too long and doesn’t use his wingers as well as he could.

29. HabFab says:

@ chuck & ian
    Was curious also to how many are still here from the first but we only have the November 2007 time to go on. Did a quick count and based on this thread only, there are (20) Nov 2007 and (2) Dec 2007 posters who made at least 1 post on this thread.

Update; Sherrie and Zep make it 22.
    Update; Scotty makes 23.

30. HabFab says:

HabsWorld Fantasy Hockey projections for Lars Eller;

@Johnylarue I think that carefully designed Michael Therrien Personal Development Program will quickly put GP into +10 territory and will even result in a couple of goals.

32. Un Canadien errant says:

Great recap on the Canucks’ outlook this off-season on nhl.com today. Everyone is trying to say the right things, John Tortorella downplaying his reputation as a defensive coach, saying they’ll be aggressive this season, and tougher to play against. Chris Higgins painting his former coach’s methods in a favourable light, of building up his team and installing his system in training camp day by day, and asking for nothing less than 100%.

The article outlines the competitiveness of the team in the past few years, but how it fell on hard times since the Finals loss to Boston, and especially last season.

Personally, I don’t think the team needed a coaching change, what it needed was a full healthy season from Ryan Kesler and Kevin Bieksa. A nice bonus could come from David Booth too, he’s the forgotten man since he hasn’t been able to contribute since coming over from Florida. If Mr. Booth could plug one of the holes on the wing and chip in 20 or more goals that would go a long way to making their season a success.

What it needed also, and we’ll cry over spilled milk here, is for the Canucks to get some immediate assets back from trading Roberto Luongo, and failing that, for Corey Schneider. I know the goalie market is soft, but before their window closes, the Canucks needed a significant contributor on their third or fourth line in return for one of their goalies. That’s easier said than done, but that’s what would have made Mike Gillis’ reputation, if he could have navigated that. It’s a results business, and he fumbled that.

Furthermore, he and his predecessors have never managed to find that big talented winger to play with the Sedin brothers. They’ve squandered draft picks, they’ve let marketable defencemen such as Christian Ehrhoff and Mathias Ohlund walk in free agency, over the years they should have found a way to cobble a trade together to find them their James Neal. Alex Burrows is a nice player and really handy to have on your roster, but on a trio with the Sedins, it’s like sprinkling sugar on a piece of chocolate cake, you wonder if there’s not another more complementary topping.

• johnnylarue says:

Fully agree, as usual. David Booth seems to have forgotten how to play hockey since his arrival on the West Coast. Injuries have taken a huge toll, no doubt. It’s unfortunate for the Canucks, since I thought that was exactly the kind of secondary scoring they needed when they acquired him.

In any case, Gillis hasn’t been lucky. But he hasn’t exactly “earned” any luck, either. I expect this will be a make-or-break season for him, as it should be.

• Da Hema says:

Nice post UCe. It is difficult but to conclude the Canucks’ window of serious Cup contending is over now. Injuries certainly have hit that team hard, Kesler especially. When I see him play now, he seems a shadow of what he used to be. One wonders too whether Gillis could have done better with the goalie surfeit the team once had. I thought the real mess Gillis generated was his handling of both goalies over the past two years — sometimes intimating Luongo would be traded, then at other points that Schneider would be dealt. That was a mess of Gillis’ own making. In my view, he made the right call keeping Luongo — who I believe is an excellent goalie. His glove save against the US in overtime for the gold medal was nothing short of miraculous. Team Canada would have lost that game but for Luongo. As you note, Gillis seems now to be draining away the Canucks’ assets — always a bad sign for an organization.

33. johnnylarue says:

To the folks raising a stink about Big George II’s plus/minus last season, it’s worth noting that his minus 15 was his worst showing by far. He’s been very close to even (or in the pluses) for the majority of his NHL career.

Therefore, I think it’s perfectly reasonable to expect somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-35 goals from him this season. Give or take 30-34.

34. B says:

Canada beats Finland 5-3.
    Lehkonen scores one for Finland
    Eric Comrie in nets for Canada

Is Anthony Mantha now Josh Mantha?

–Go Habs Go!–