Habs’ Price will be back in goal against Senators

Here’s the best news Canadiens fans have received in a while: Carey Price will be back in goal Saturday night at the Bell Centre against the Ottawa Senators (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Price has missed the last eight games after suffering a lower-body injury at the Sochi Olympics. The Canadiens were 3-4-1 during that span and have lost their last three games.

Price took part in his first full practice Friday and was on the ice again for Saturday’s morning skate. Coach Michel Therrien announced after the morning skate that Price would face the Senators.

“Carey Price will play tonight. It’s great news,” Therrien told reporters in Brossard. “He had a really good day at practice on Friday. He went through that process. He worked really hard and felt good. We met with him after practice, and we were saying yesterday that we’d see how he was feeling this morning. We met with him and the medical staff and they confirmed that he’s ready to play. He’s had his mindset since Thursday that he wanted to make a comeback. He’s got to think like that. He looked really good yesterday. He looked good again this morning.”

After Saturday’s game, the Canadiens travel to Buffalo where they will face the Sabres Sunday night (7 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Judging by the lines at the morning skate it looks like Rene Bourque, Ryan White and George Parros will be the healthy forward scratches and Mike Weaver will be a healthy scratch on defence.

Here’s how the lines and defence pairings looked at the morning skate:

Briere-Plekanec-Gionta
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Vanek
Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher
Moen-Prust-Weise
Bourque-White-Parros
Bournival

Bouillon-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Murray-Tinordi
Weaver

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

Habs vs. Senators preview, NHL.com

Game Notes

Morning skate interviews (video), Canadiens.com

Eller happy as Kid Line reunited, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Galchenyuk should have bigger role, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Gameday Preview, Ottawa Citizen

Sens-Habs rivalry resumes, Ottawa Sun

Games against Wings could be key for Habs, by Pat Hickey

Tiffany Parros has fashion and business sense, by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell

This week’s HI/O Show highlights, montrealgazette.com

1. habstrinifan says:

@GEHLSEN re your link on Bozon!

Just signed in and tried to link. Directs to an ‘unsafe site’ it seems.

2. Lafleurguy says:

Patrick Kane’s goal celebrations are WAY more exuberant than Subban’s, but not a word of criticism, nada, zilch, crickets.

• Paz says:

Karlsson turns the puck over time after time, and he’s -15!

But Karlsson is terrific player and Subban is still “learning how to play the game”.

Double Standard should be Subban’s new nickname.

3. Ron says:

Game thread is up

4. Paz says:

Have to agree with CJ. Beaulieu is a superb talent being wasted in Hamilton.

5. zephyr says:

how come bouillon is a healthy scratch for months & then plays 1st pair mins with subban? does this make any sense? 5 left shot dmen & bouillon gets the draw with subban.
    bouillon & georges are gonna get bounced around again in the playoffs. i’ll admit beaulieu looked good when he was up. he’s on the light side but his wheels are superb. that may get him by til he puts more beef on. tinordi’s size is going to help. maybe mb wants to see if he can play consistently over a period of time. he hasn’t done it so far. my concern is that we have to keep price from getting run with impunity like last playoffs. he even lost a tooth 1 game. we’re just going to need guys who can enforce the eye-for-an-eye kind of stuff to get us thru the playoffs. u know that’s what we’re going to face against ottawa, boston, t.o., & philly.
    we’ll see if tinordi gets some shifts with subban 2nite. be nice if he could play well there.

6. Lafleurguy says:

Hope Lucic hasn’t Komisareked Emelin.

7. CHasman says:

I like the line combinations tonight. If only MT would resist the urge to change them after two shifts and give everyone a chance to learn how to play with their line mates. Therrien wants to find some chemistry, but that can take some time and patience. Our old coach is lacking in the patience department.

8. Mr_MacDougall says:

Pacioretty is 1 goal shy of 100 and 2 assists shy of 100.. Be cool if he reached those milestones tonight!

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

9. Gehlsen says:

Tim Bozon news

Not sure if this has been posted but a good outcome nonetheless. Lots of support =)

Hope this works…I’m new at this lol

Les Habitant!

10. montreal ace says:

I like this team and what the players bring to the table, so I cheer them on. I still see a team as guys who play and suffer with each other, with the purpose of winning for their fans. The price is about Carey and how far this team goes depends on him, there should be no mistaken that. This team has no superstars in front of him, not one. I like MT as a coach and I like MB as a GM, but I am a Victoriatown boy, so I reespest the knowledge and savey they bring to the job. I like this team and I like it even more with Carey in nets, so excuse me for having high hopes.

11. Ron says:

This is a big IF but what happens if Price gets a set back in tonights game. Who backs up Boods tomorrow night since Toker has already been sent back to Hamilton. Does the Dubby get the call or is Toker brought back up. I would like to see what Dubby can do.

12. habs_54321 says:

I like the forward lineup tonight I would swap briere and eller though, Briere is better suited as a scoring line center than a shutdown line winger and eller would be more suited for a shutdown role also would like too see whitey in there instead of moen being that prust is back.

pacioretty DD vanek
    galchenyuk Briere gallagher
    eller Plekanec gionta
    prust White weise

• CJ says:

I think the writing is on the wall for Bourque and Briere regarding their future with this team. When Bournival is healthy, I’d add him with Gionta and Pleks, reuniting a line that enjoyed success earlier this season. Briere can keep Bourque company. Thus far, it’s tough to suggest anything other than the fact that this has been a bad signing. Maybe he breaks out tonigh, or maybe he shows his value during the playoffs.

This is a huge game for Briere. He has proven to be a streaky point producer. 10 of his 21 points have been amassed in 4 games. We could really use his help.

• habs_54321 says:

i just feel Briere hasn’t been given a proper chance too shine he’s either on the 4th playing with parros or he’s with plex and gio in an unsuited role for his skillset, same situation vanek was just taken out of. if you compare his stats to eller he has more production value in less games played and less ATOI.

• CJ says:

Fair point. I respect your opinion. Sometimes a player has to create his own chances and force his role. Bournival has done that this season. Briere has not. Stats aren’t the only thing, but Briere’s game is built exclusively on offence. 21 points @ $4 million per season is terrible. Breaking it down further, as noted above, almost 50% of his contribution has occurred during four games. Not satisfactory.

• Ozmodiar says:

DD and Briere as the one-two punch @ center. That’s pretty awful.

13. Butterface says:

Who is running this ship ? Why hasn’t a plus 5 Beaulieu been called up ? Is it a roster thing ? Send Tinordi down. Tinordi has brutal give aways … then when he does give the puck over in bad spots he doesn’t even get benched like Subban would.

Sure he is big, but he needs to make smart decisions if he is slow and unskilled.

***********************
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
    ***********************

• piper says:

I don’t see Tinordi as slow and unskilled but I would like to see both him and Beaulieu in the line up.
      Subban Tinordi
      Markov Emelin
      Murray Beaulieu

I agree. If everyone was healthy I’d pair;

PK Tiny
        Markov Beaulieu
        Emelin Gorges

Murray
        Weaver
        Frankie

• Butterface says:

I didn’t mean slow and unskilled in a bad way… he is playing in the NHL…. but compared to a better skill, offensive talent and puck handling, I say Beaulieu should be getting his ice time. We signed The Bull to one too many one year contracts. I still don’t have a good personal scouting record on Weaver to make comment. Emelin has been a little spotty lately.

I am going to the game Tuesday vs Colorado….not sure where these corporate tickets are yet, but I hope I am close to Roy.

***********************
        If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
        ***********************

• DipsyDoodler says:

Beaulieu and Tinordi have potential but both are green and prone to mistakes. One maybe but not both of them.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

14. on2ndthought says:

I still want to see Briere with Vanek.

Bourque – Plek – Gio are a good shut down line.

Weiss White Bournival did nothing to get split up, a dynamic 4th line.

Moen becomes injury insurance, or Gio sits.

Make the best hockey decisions MT!

“a cannonading drive”

• DipsyDoodler says:

“I still want to see Briere with Vanek.”

Only on the official Sabres’ 2006-07 season highlights (available on DVD I’m sure).

—–
      Moving. Forward.

15. Dunboyne Mike says:

(Apologies — non-hockey post)

Mattyleg! Tell me you saw that!
    (Ireland vs France, rugby, the Six Nations Championship Final).

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Ah Dipsy, just saw your post. The country has gone crazy! Beat France in Paris in 1972 and 2000, Brian O’Driscoll’s international debut — this was his international swansong. How sweet!

16. frontenac1 says:

I still think Tiny should be paired with Markov and Emmy with Crankshaft.

• on2ndthought says:

Markov Subban
      Murray Emelin
      Tiny and the Tank

“a cannonading drive”

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Very worried about Emelin tonight. If I’m Ottawa and I’m looking ahead to a possible playoff encounter with Montreal, I’m telling my forward to beat on Emelin all night and continue the demolition Lucic started on Wednesday.

If Ottawa does that, it would be nice if Murray stepped up and ruined some Sens forwards.

But it would be even better if Emelin found his groove and got back into dishing it out himself.

• frontenac1 says:

Yup. MT should have adjusted the pairings during the Fisrtst period when it was obvious that Lucy was targeting Emmy. Murray isn’t quick enough to cover Tiny”s mistakes.Tiny-Markov, Crankshaft -Emmy.

• dr. schmutzdeker says:

still agree

17. Max says:

It’s getting very tight in the conference.73 points is 9th and we are at 77.A few more losses and the habs could potentially be out of the top 8. Tonight’s game is a must win just to keep breathing.It’s that time of the year.

18. WVHabsfan says:

@dipsy. As a big fan of the Simpsons I do!!!

19. SC-24 says:

Boston looking good for the playoffs, Tough, Can score, Good defense, Great goaltending what more do you need and by the way a pretty good EX-Hab coach.

20. Storm Man says:

Roflmao love how a few and I mean a very few still think MT is a good coach and say what coach would do better with Price hurt. A lot of Rob Ford candy going around.

Ottawa’s probable line-up:

Greening – Smith – Neil
    MacArthur – Turris – Ryan
    Michalek – Spezza – Hemsky
    Hoffman – Zibanejad – Condra

Methot – Karlsson
    Cowen – Gryba
    Phillips – Ceci

Lehner (starter)
    Lawson

• piper says:

The Sens lineup looks very similar to the Habs. Not enough really good players to make a first, second and third line so they spread it around to make 3 mediocre lines.

22. rhino514 says:

I liked that line of Bournival White and Weise, understand Prust beats Weise, but all 4 of these guys should be ahead of Moen.
    When was the last year we had so many capable fourth liners? We actually have a surplus. Not only are they good fourth liners, they are borderline third liners, except for White.
    The team really should have a much better record; if they don´t finsh strong they really have to look at the coaching.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

The problem is we don’t have a single 1st liner.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Gerry H says:

Really? Pacioretty, fifth or sixth in the league in goals isn’t a first liner? Vanek, a perennial 30 goal scorer, isn’t a first liner?

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Vanek has one 30 goal season since 08-09 season.. Yes Patch is a first liner, but any DD line becomes a second unit when measuring against championship quality.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Ozmodiar says:

Yes, well, besiiiiides those 2. No 1st liners.

No top pairing d-men either (besides Subban and Markov).

Same with the goaltending ….

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Okay, given that DD and Patch are playing with one another it seems to be the plan to keep it that way, they are a second line… Their salaries suggest it as well. I wasn’t actually speaking in the present either, I consider Vanek a rental.

The point is, for the Habs to be in the upper tier with Anh, Chi, LA, Stl, SJ, Pit (when healthy) and Bos the team needs a true first line. I think Patch and DD could be a championship second line with the proper RW, Gallagher even, but not a first line.

Thanks for attempting to make my logic looked flawed, I believe I have cleared that up.. Unless you believe a DD, Patch line can go head to head with Toews, Kopitar, Crosby, Getzlaf, Thornton, Backes….

This team lack that, and desperately needs Galchenyuk to be that guy, or we’re in deep trouble moving forward.

A Vanek Galchenyuk Gaborik line,might be able to do it.. Pretty far fetched (have to unload Briere, Bourque, let Gionta go move Prust) and have both those guys sign for no more than 4-5 years.. Very very unlikely….. So moving forward you’d have to assume Patch and Galchenyuk will be paired together, or the team adds a couple all-star wingers to play with him.

What would you suggest is the biggest obstacle in the way of this team being championship calibre? To me it’s obvious, top line talent… A first line PP unit…

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Note: I’d likely pass on Gaborik as he’s only played two full seasons since 2002-03 just using him as an example.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Mr_MacDougall says:

….besides Patch, but when he’s with DD he’s a second liner. I suppose Vanek is a first liner, he will be tough to resign.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

23. frontenac1 says:

So they have Ladies Curling on and Ladies Gymnastics on at the Saloon. Cartwheels and Harder,Harder. Decisions,decisions.

24. CJ says:

IMO, the game against the Hurricanes (our last before the Olympic) break typified the difference between playing in front of a great goaltender like Price, versus playing in front of Budaj (our most recent game against the Bruins). Again, it’s not that I don’t like Budaj. When we are able to spot pick his starts, he has proven to be effective.

A few big saves and the boys get their confidence and are, by extension, able to exercise creative license offensively. Look at the Penguins. With Fleury going through his annual sag, the pens become a different team. I guess this is a long way of saying that the return tonight of Price could be the elixir the team has needed. At full health and on his game, there are but one or two others in the entire world who are in the same class. Our players know it. A strong showing tonight could turn this around in a hurry.

How’s that for pressure? I think Price meets the challenge and reminds us all that he is our most valuable player. Go Habs! CJ

• Paz says:

CJ, the Pens missing Letang and Neil is like is missing Subban and Pacioretty.

Very big holes to fill.

• CJ says:

They are big pieces of the puzzle. I think PK and Max would be bigger voids, but we are splitting hairs. At the end of the day, looking at their roster, they still have the tools to put up points. Matta is filling in for Letang. Offence, by committe, are filling in for Neal.

Fluery is the constant. His struggles are consistent.

25. SC-24 says:

Would have liked to seen, Prust, White and Weise for our 4th line, White is good on face offs and he has chemistry with Weise, Guess we can’t be perfect or Ottawa wouldn’t have a chance.

Don’t ever count Walrus out!!

26. Habilis says:

Thank beer for Carey.

Also, the ever popular Russian women’s curling team is on TSN right now. Good stuff.

27. habs001 says:

Bruins going for their 8th straight win….If as many posters seem to indicate that the Habs will be cup contenders in 2 to 3 years they will have to sign and trade for goal scorers from other organizations…

28. frontenac1 says:

Off to the Liquor store Amigos. I Can’t believe I went through all that rum already. Man!

29. DipsyDoodler says:

I assume Dunboyne is watching the rugby. Ireland hanging on against France. Half the players on the pitch are bleeding.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

I still would have gone with Tokarski.

31. Paz says:

I would love it if the Habs fans booed the crap out of Karlsson every time he touched the puck.

For no reason other than to show support for what Subban has been through.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Paz
      Those guys are pretty immune to that stuff.

I’d prefer that every Hab finishes his check HARD on Karlsson every time he has the puck – pressure him all the time, and don’t let him waltz out of his zone – don’t give him any time or space to control the game as he likes to do

• CJ says:

Agreed. We need to take away his time and space. He need a man on him all game. Karlsson is willing to take long chances, so the defence will need to pick him up in transition. We need strong puck support on offense, and zone awareness in transition. Ottawa scores the majority of their goals on the rush, while activating their defencemen.

• BobbySmithWasClutch says:

I agree. I realize this is a controversial and imprecise social scientific question to ask but roughly what % of the opposing fans (not just Ottawa) automatic booing of Subban do you think is because he’s black (or a race thing)? or is it the ‘standard’ booing of the other team’s best player? or because Subban can be an annoying/irritating player himself?

• CJ says:

Ottawa fans only boo PK because they have heard other fans do it. They are not original and would have no clue why they are booing. I hope he moonwalks, tap dances or does a line dance tonight following our win, just to run it in.

• mfDx says:

PK gets booed because :
        1. Don Cherry didn’t like him
        2.the rest of the HNIC crew echoed Cherry’s sentiments.
        3. From the nosebleed section, he’s easier to pick out than #78, #71 and #16.

Sent from my CHphone

32. BJ says:

Philly 4 Pens 0 after two.

33. UKRAINIANhab says:

Habs 2
    Senaturds 0

Plekanec, Subban

34. Mavid says:

**sigh** so now it’s not enough to bash MT for what he has done, let’s now bash him for what we think he will do..don’t you guys ever get tired of it…I know I do

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

35. nova scotia vees says:

Why is Moen never scratched? I would much rather see Weise or White. Moen is an empty jersey. Contributes nothing.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

He is good defensively.

• HabsPooch says:

I think because Therien depends on him in important minutes. I think when Bournival comes back Moen might be the odd man out but hard to tell as Therien has been very loyal to him.

• CJ says:

This is a big game for Moen. This is a big game for all our veterans.

Truth is, when the going has gotten tough, they have not stepped up this season. We need more out of the over 29 crowd. They, more than anyone, understand that 82 games is a grind. It’s a marathon and not a sprint. However our backs are getting very close to the wall. This weekend I’m expecting big things from this crowd. Time to prove your value. Moen, Gionta, Pleks, Briere, Markov, Budaj, Vanek, Bouillion and Murray. Roll call boys, front and centre.

36. CJ says:

Philly up 2-0 on Pittsburgh. Big home and home series this weekend for these two clubs. This is generally the time of year when Fleury starts to sag. That would be a terrific first round match up. I don’t think the Pens could out score their goaltending gaffs.

People may not recall, but if Nabokov could have made even a few saves last spring, the Isles would have upset the penguins.

• BobbySmithWasClutch says:

Can’t wait to watch the rematch tomorrow

• HabsPooch says:

No Kunitz, Neal and Letang in the lineup for the Pens. All of a sudden the Pens look very ordinary. They only have eight shots on goal almost halfway through the game…

• CJ says:

Good point. The Metro division is so wide open. Columbus and Philly might be the two best teams right now. Speaking of Philly, can anyone imagine four more years of Vinny? I love the guy, but what’s going to be left after 350 games regular season games, plus playoffs, plus preseason?

• HabsPooch says:

I didn’t agree with the Briere signing but inking Lecavalier for five years would have been brutal. He has by far the team’s worst plus minus at -17 and just seems a former shell of himself.

• CJ says:

Absolutely. Five years is a terrible term. He and Clarkson will likely not see the end of their deals with their current teams.

• HabsPooch says:

Lecavalier must have been listening because he just scored. How do you like that? Lol. 3-0 Flyers.

• CJ says:

I check saw that lol. I like it a lot. Just adds more separation between 8th place and Ottawa. Now we need to take care of business tonight.

37. L Elle says:

And Budaj breathes a BIG sigh of relief. :)

Of course, Therrien thinks it is very good news. The buffoon has just been given a lifeline. The team without Price exposed him for everything he is.

39. BobbySmithWasClutch says:

In general I think the whole concept of renting a player (like Vanek) is dangerous and risky for team chemistry and there’s too much pressure to make it work well immediately. I guess the good news is we get our 2nd round pick back if we don’t make the playoffs

40. Lafleurguy says:

The three-quarter pole has been passed. Down the stretch. Double-shift Pacioretty and Vanek, and alternate the centre between them. 30:00 min. TOI for P.K. (every game).

41. BobbySmithWasClutch says:

will Patrick Roy be a guest on Antichambre with Mario Tremblay being one of the panelists? Hope so ;)

42. SC-24 says:

when you use one of you’re best centers if not the best in a shut down role I’m not too sure about this coaching.
    shut down line to me should be Briere Eller and Gionta if he’s using the 2nd and 3rd line in a shut down role maybe that’s why we’re not getting any scoring in any case we’ll find out tonight Ottawa is coming for two points.

• HabsPooch says:

I’m not sure I’d want Briere on my shutdown line. I understand your point though. Plekanec is our best and most complete centreman and should be on the top two lines.

43. D Mex says:

@ Ian Cobb
    I provided a short summary of the french article that you asked about below – hope it is helpful !

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

FYI, Canada women vs Russia women in curling on TSN now. 2 very good teams. ;-)

45. B says:

Price hasn’t played a game in 3 weeks and only has 1 or 2 good practices under his belt recently. I hope he plays well but it may be a stretch to think he will be on top of his game tonight. It will need to be a strong team effort.

–Go Habs Go!–

• BobbySmithWasClutch says:

I agree. He’s probably being rushed back slightly too soon is my guess

• B says:

I don’t think they would risk rushing him back if they didn’t really think he was ready. I just think it may take a bit of time for him to get back to top game shape. A good team effort would help him to get over that hump without costing them valuable points.

–Go Habs Go!–

46. habsfan0 says:

I like the lines that were posted.
    Of course,it’s only a matter of time before MT breaks them up.

• B says:

If it is a tight game, then I don’t see Briere getting a ton of time in a shut down role with Plekanec and Gionta. some point.

–Go Habs Go!–

• HabsPooch says:

Therien would probably throw Moen in for Briere if it were tight…

• B says:

That could be a sensible adjustment to make if needed. There may be more adjustments needed depending on how things are going. I am not sure if all four of the recently arranged lines set up for tonight will work like a charm right away, it would be great to see but real time adjustments may be required.

–Go Habs Go!–

47. habstrinifan says:

This guy will not be at the game tonight.
    The vice president of the Quebec branch of the Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs.
    He may be meeting with Pauline Marois re her candidate,Louise Milloux’s beliefs.

I hope this guy, Luciano Del Negro, can knock some sense into her head. After all he’s a Negro like me.

He he he he me evil man!

Moderators!!!!!!!!!!!

48. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

God I hope they stick to the bug-eyed walrus and Neil tonight…hate them the most.

49. The Teacher says:

Woohoo. Price back in and I’m at the game. Long positive streak coming up for us.

50. CJ says:

Totally optimistic right now. We need two points tonight, and the team is going to deliver. My optimism is based on three factors;

Price is back. Provided he is 100%, and I assume he is close to it, I have every confidence that he will provide the consistent goaltending that we have been missing. The team will be more confident, which should be reflected in their style of play.

This will be the return engagement for PK and the Sens. I hope Neil, Smith, Gryba or anyone on that team takes a run at PK. I think this is exactly what he needs to shake his funk. PK has a history against the Sens and I’d to see him dance at centre ice tonight, rubbing it in their face. I loved his play against Ottawa in last year’s playoff. More of that please PK.

Lastly, tonight is the night the kid’s shine. Call it a hunch, but Eller will score tonight.

Ottawa is a desperate team, who, on paper should be much better than their record suggests. They have one of the best offensive systems in the league and can go off four 4-5 goals against anyone. That said, they have been giving up a ton of chances, the result of breakdowns and poor zone coverage. If we can just get one early, we are set. I don’t care if we win 8-7, or 1-0. We need a regulation win. It helps to sustain our position in the standings, while burying the Senators’ chances. Death by a thousand knives. Hit them early and often and don’t let up, even if we are up by three goals.

How’s that for positivity? Best wishes everyone! Cheers, CJ

• habstrinifan says:

Check out the first period of the game against the Bruins and the PP and you will know why you WONT see the same P.K. again. Anyone who has a copy of that game and watches the first period PP and doesnt come away incredulously amazed at what they see isn’t looking closely.

• jimmy shaker says:

Please go on….not sure what your getting at. I watched the game but don’t remember anything popping out at me….but maybe I wasn’t watching as closely as you have said. Whatcha got!

Shaker out!

• habstrinifan says:

See if I highlight it then I am disseminating my take. I just about have had enuff of hearing myself talk if you ask me… so if you dont see it..lets call it moot.

• CJ says:

I watched PK doing hot laps on the PP in the second period. Our four guys were lined up at the blue line as he took a skate before pushing everyone offside. Is that the play?

• jimmy shaker says:

I know I haven’t seen him as engaged as he has been in the past…. really hasn’t been hitting anyone out there at all and is lost in his own zone, sliding all over the place, but I just chalk that up to confidence and playing scared in front of MT. So I’ve been disappointed for a while now in PK’s game, but am confident that he and the next coach are going to excel. Not giving up on this guy by any means.

Shaker out!

• jimmy shaker says:

I like it CJ, think your on with all your thoughts…..my only fear is Lehner. Just like Bishop this guy gives the habs all sorts of problems. Need to score early and often somehow. Traffic, rebounds and speed is the recipe for success!

Shaker out!

• CJ says:

Lehner is certainly their best goaltender. Much like Anderson, he can be very hot or very cold. I expect him to be excellent tonight. The Sens can’t afford to lose and will be playing desperate hockey.

We can’t control our opponent’s desperation, however we can control how we play. I just have a feeling that we are ready to breakout. It’s this weekend or it’s panic time. I’m trying to be as positive as possible in hopes that it can spark the boys.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Sens are desperate like the awkward kid at his high school dance. They’re going home to cry themselves to sleep.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• HabsPooch says:

Hey CJ, hope your little guy is feeling better. I am optimistic as you are about tonight but I can’t help but wonder what happens to team morale if they do lose. I would say this is a must win game on many levels. Here’s hoping that Plekanec gets it going as well as he has struggled of late offensively.

• CJ says:

Thank you very much. He’s fighting the flu, but he’s a strong little dude.

Losing tonight is not an option. This is a critical two points. As you noted, and with which I agree, this is must win. Trying to be positive in hopes that a better result will follow.

• HabsPooch says:

Looks like Moen Prust Weisse is the fourth line tonight. I was hoping White would play…

• CJ says:

As do I. White and Weise have been very good together. Moen better get going. Tonight is a big game for him. Gryba, Smith and Neil will be hovering.

• HabsPooch says:

I’m not sure why Weisse was ever taken out – barring an undisclosed injury. I instantly recognized the chemistry those two had and thought we finally had a fourth line to talk about. Not sure the rationalization behind Therien’s decision…I support any player that plays for our Habs but White and Weisse just seemed to click.

• CJ says:

Agreed. The fourth line, with Bournival-White-Weise was the best we’ve had all season. White and Weise had instant chemistry. No clue if the picture is clearer from my television than the bench, but some of these decisions are entirely strange.

I’d stick with White and Weise and bump Moen. When Bournival is healthy he’d bump Briere.

• UnkleGary says:

Great post! Throw in Vanek potting his first as a Hab and it’ll be a perfect Saturday night!

CH-eers!

51. jeffhabfan says:

That is great news on Pricey tonight.

52. SC-24 says:

Win or lose. Eller should have been with Briere and Gionta. Plekanec should be with the Gallys. Eller is way overrated and you’ll see down the road. Two of the top forwards on the 3rd line. your first two lines if put together properly should get the most ice time they should be your main scoring lines. The other two lines are chippers a goal here and there. you can blame the players for not scoring but don’t blame the players for the lineup.

• Ian Cobb says:

The DaneGGer line was the only line that was consistent all year up until the Dane got hurt!

• B says:

They had a few great games early in the season, but I don’t think they were as consistently productive overall as many here like to remember. That said, I hope they can show some spark and be part of a strong overall team effort win tonight.

–Go Habs Go!–

53. Hobie Hansen says:

I don’t think we can expect Price’s “A” game tonight. It’s not beyond the realm of possibility he lets in one or two that he would normally stop. No to mention Bouillon is in the lineup, Emelin is shaky and the tandem of Murray and Tinordi has the potential to let in a goofy goal on occasion.

My point, Vankek and his top line, plus the EGG line better put some pucks in the net tonight or we could be in trouble!!! It will probably take four goals or more to win this one!

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Enough of the “we are a grinding team” BS. They are not built for that (thanks to MB). They have to use their speed or they’re toast.

• jimmy shaker says:

I’m expecting Price’s A+ game…..He’s had the rest, he’s got the moxy, the team and city need him, he’s proved he’s a big time performer. I think he’s expecting a huge performance from himself ala last time these two clubs met, but with a lot less goals and chances given up overall. This is Price’s huge statement game, for some reason like someone mentioned earlier today, it feels like a playoff game and Price will want to show he can stop the bleeding and turn this thing around. Plus they are the national game tonight on CBC since taranna is off today!

Shaker out!

• Hobie Hansen says:

I’m no professional athlete or can’t claim to know what’s going on in Price’s head. In saying that, if you haven’t played in an intense professional game in over a month your focus and reflexes might not be 100%.

• Ian Cobb says:

A B+ from Price gets points!

• B says:

I posted something similar above Hobie. I think they will need a strong team effort tonight. They better not sit back and try to rely on Price to steal one. It’s been 3 weeks since his last game.

–Go Habs Go!–

If the kindly old coach rolls these 4 lines, we will be in great shape! But which 4th line plays tonight? I think it is the Moen, Prust and Weise line.
    And for crying out loud have some energy and fore check in the 2nd, we have been absolutely brutal. No matter if were ahead, even or behind.

Nice to see the DaneGGer line back together!

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Vanek
    Brière-Plekanec-Gionta
    Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher

Moen-Prust-Weise
    Bourque-White-Parros

55. D Mex says:

@ Maritime Ronn
    You provided a link earlier in this thread about an early-morning MVA involving Habs #27. It’s an interesting read with a pinch of ‘ Âllo Police ‘ ‘ added for flavour :

Interesting that there haven’t been any comments about the older Russian-speaking driver of the Mercedes who arrived at the scene in ‘ light speed ‘ …
    The embedded jpg suggests that the Cadillac driver (whose name is very close to Alex Galchenyuk) resides in Florida.
    > Doesn’t Markov drive a Mercedes ? … ;-)

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

56. Habfun says:

Yesss!! great news and I think MT may have the lines in pretty good shape.
    Go Habs!

It’s all about the CH

57. WindsorHab-10 says:

Hoping he’s 100% healthy it’s great to have the big guy back. Not expecting much as I expect him to be a bit rusty. Nothing against Budaj but he’s a backup that’s may be good to play once every couple of weeks.

58. Ghab says:

Thank goodness Price is back, the EGG line is back and maybe Vanek can enjoy some time in Montreal.

59. Thomas Le Fan says:

Great that Price is back. Hope he is 100%. I really like that the EGG line is back together. Time for Eller to get his head out of his … funk. Go Habs!

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

60. The_Truth says:

Awesome news on Price.

I was disappointed in Budaj’s play coming in for an injured Price. He never even had one great game.

He has shown flashes of great work, but as the go to guy has disappointed.

On another note, last chance for Eller for the remainder of the year. Some people, although a dwindling number, feel he is capable of being a top 2 center (For the record, I am not one of them). Well, If he can’t get it together now after just a horrible stretch, he never will.

• Maritime Ronn says:

No, he was far from outstanding but don’t forget he beat the Pens in a shootout in Pittsburgh – He beat the Leafs in OT…and he lost the last 3 games where the Habs scored a total of 3 goals.

• WindsorHab-10 says:

Never giving up on Eller. I’d love to see how he reacts under a coaching staff that has a defined system/role for him. MT is not a measuring stick to evaluate players. He’s however a Dipstick.

• The_Truth says:

He has a defined role. To play defensively responsible, being physical, smart and chip in here and there offensively. He has done none of those. I thoight MT has been very patient with Eller and given him more opportunity than he deserved. JM was far less patient with him and people blamed the coach then too.

Blaming the coach is a cop out. You just have to watch the games and see what is going on and it’s the player, not the coach. Hopefully putting him with two good offensive linemates can jump start him. Even though I think Pleks deserves it a lot more.

61. 25 while im alive says:

A lot of respect for Frankie b but can’t see him as a top pair d man , Habs are badly in need of at least a top fou d man.

62. Commandant says:

Kenney Morrison highlights part three of the College Free Agents.

63. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Thank. Godue.

64. ProHabs says:

That Cammalleri trade for Bourque and Holland is not looking so good these days.

Regardless still predicting the Habs beat the Sens 9-2 tonight. Briere with 6 goals. Eller with the other 3.

• The_Truth says:

Is that a surprise? Look who made it. I have never seen a GM lose so many trades in such a short span of time. Most of gainey and Gauthier’s trades were minor losses, but it really adds up.

• Maritime Ronn says:

The Craig Rivet trade wasn’t bad,
        The Habs picked up Josh Gorges and a 1st round pick that ended up being Pacioretty…..

• The_Truth says:

Yes, even a blind man can hit a bullseye now and again.

• The_Truth says:

The key players were drafted by Timmins, except DD which was signed as a free agent solely based on Carbos support. Not to diminish these draft picks, but every GM/head of Amateur drafting in the league has had similar successes

I was talking about trade records.

Also, MB has only had 1.5 years on the job, it takes a few years to judge the drafting record under his regime.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Let’s see how Zack Fucale turns out…
      That was the Habs 2nd round pick from Calgary… as Calgary included their 2nd round pick in 2013 in that trade

• The_Truth says:

I think whether Fucale is a bust or not is irrelevant. The trade was for Bourque and a 2nd essentially. The drafting process is a different story. Terrible trade? No. As usual, could have PG done better if he would have been more methodical in his scouting or creating a market? Surely.

• Maritime Ronn says:

More to it than that….and how many times did the Flames get to the playoffs with Cammalleri? I believe the answer is…none.

The Habs dumped a huge Cap hit of Cammy of $6M and the salary of $7M. That netted them almost $3M in Cap Space

And by the way, Bourque had 2 goals in the playoffs last year that was tied with Gallagher for the Habs lead…

As for the pick being irrelevant, the Habs don’t get to pick Fucale without having that draft pick – far from irrelevant in terms of planning for the future and filling a pipeline

• The_Truth says:

Cammy was on pace for about 20 goals actually. He wasn’t playing great at the time, but that doesn’t mean he should have been traded. Eller isn’t playing great, neither is Subban. Should we trade them?

The reason he was traded was biggest he spoke publicly against management. Fine, ok. The return scould have been better if PG had taken some more time creating a market. Even though as I mentioned the trade wasn’t terrible.

By irrelevant I meant that the trade was for a 2nd round pick and should be judged on that. The player they eventually drafted is another story.

Bottom line is

Cammy- 122 Games, 43 goals, 36 assists, 79 Points
            Bourque- 119 Games, 20 goals, 13 Assists, 33 Points

So who won that trade and who would you rather have right now? I know who I would choose.

• Paz says:

Hey Ronn, write this name down, and come back to me in 3 or 4 years.

Ryan Culkin

That’s who the Flames took in the 5th round in the Bourque deal.

Big, mobile, captain of the Remparts until he was traded at the deadline to Drummondville.

65. ABHabsfan says:

When has Prust played centre? Perhaps this line will not be bothering with the puck too much. I would have Whitey in for Moen.
    ALL of the d-men must pull on their big-boy pants tonight and protect the crease.

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
    Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

66. habs001 says:

Before every game there is a prediction of a Habs win..Thats fine but i am wondering what team fans have been watching all year as the majority of predictions before every game have the Habs scoring 5 goals…

67. Maritime Ronn says:

Prediction;
    Habs win 5-1.
    Eller line breaks out playing against 3rd pair Ottawa D.
    Vanek scores his first Habs goal on the PP

• jimmy shaker says:

I’ve got danny b with a goal in that 5 spot along with PK and patch!

Shaker out!

Lehner usually plays well vs the boys though. Should/hope will be a dandy!

Shaker out!

68. Sportfan says:

THE PLAYOFF BERTH IS OURS!!!!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

69. Luke says:

Great MT is rushing Price back from an injury so he can save his sorry job! Arggggghhhhh! (Or something like that).

70. Sportfan says:

Sigh this it what I just wrote in the last thread
    So Coaches who aren’t new to the league and who aren’t Carbo that could replace MT. Boucher, Crawford and technically Bob Gainey.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

71. jimmy shaker says:

“Don’t call it a comeback” This is the worst news of the day. Budashe was doing so well I thought!

Danny B one goal, Vanek one goal, Subban one goal and Pricer with a solid outing!

Shake and bake and I’m gone!

72. the subbanator says:

FOURTH

73. habzfan2003 says:

Killing me softly Mark C! :-D But yes this is great news haha

74. habzfan2003 says:

La Première Étoile!

75. Mark C says:

Now this is nice to read.

76. D Mex says:

There were also dubious comments about the team culture that were attributed to him.
    Altho he denied it, he seemed to be signalling a desire to leave and … voilà ! – just like that :-/

ALWAYS Habs -