Habs’ Price skates in full equipment, but Therrien says he’s not ready to play

The Canadiens held an optional morning skate in Brossard before facing elimination in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference final Tuesday night at the Bell Centre against the New York Rangers (8 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

The only player who didn’t take part in the skate was Tomas Plekanec. Goalie Carey Price, who has been sidelined with a knee injury suffered in Game 1 of the conference final, was on the ice in full equipment for about 30 minutes before the morning skate with goalie coach Stephane Waite and Graham Rynbend, the team’s head athletic therapist.

After the skate, Canadiens coach Michel Therrien told reporters Price would not play in Game 5 or any time soon and that him skating in full equipment was “part of the process” in his recovery.

No changes to the Habs lineup are expected for Game 5.

“Tonight is a game that we’ve been there, and we need everyone to be at their best,” Therrien told reporters after the morning skate. “Tonight, we’ve been there two weeks ago, and it’s about preparation. It’s about attitude, and we need everyone to make sure they’re well-prepared and they’ve got the right attitude to face the challenge.”

This will be the third elimination game for the Canadiens this postseason, following Game 6 and 7 wins over the Boston Bruins in the conference semifinals. Max Pacioretty was asked if the Canadiens could take any lessons from those two games against Boston.

“Yeah, it’s definitely possible,” he said. ” But we’ve got to focus on one game at a time. We’ve got this win tonight, and then we’ve got to say to ourselves we’re in the same position we were in against the best team in the league and we came out victorious.  So at the end of the day you want to worry about the end picture, but the only chance we have is one game, one period at a time.”

Alex Galchenyuk said that the Canadiens can feed off the Bell Centre crowd in Game 5.

“They give us a lot of great energy and we have fun playing here, obviously,” he said. “We’re getting energized from the crowd, and I’m sure the crowd will be fully into the game, and I personally can’t wait to go – I mean, we’ve got to win this game as simple as that.  We all know that and can’t wait. ”

Galchenyuk was also asked if the Canadiens have played their best hockey yet.

“If we were playing our best hockey, you wouldn’t be losing this series right now,” he said. “Again, they’re a good team, but we can’t be focused on them.  We know we can play better, and we know we will, so we’re confident in that.”

The Rangers held their morning skate at the Bell Centre and Derek Stepan, who suffered a broken jaw when hit by Brandon Prust in Game 3, took part while wearing a plastic faceguard. Stepan had surgery on Friday to repair the broken jaw.

“There are a lot of things that have to happen for him to play tonight,” Rangers coach Alain Vigneault told reporters about Stepan after the skate. “We are going to talk to him this afternoon and see how he reacted to the practice. Nutrition, obviously, is an issue at this time, so later on today we’ll talk to our doctors and we’ll talk to him and we’ll see how it works out.”

Vigneault was asked about how tough it is to get that final win in a playoff series.

“You  know, the NHL 2013-2014 started the first of October with a game between Toronto Maple Leafs and Montreal Canadiens in an Original Six matchup,” he said. “Today is the 27th of May, you know? We’re the first team this year that has an opportunity to win one and move on to the Stanley Cup final. We’re going to be ready.”

If the Canadiens win Tuesday night, Game 6 would be Thursday night in New York (8 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

(Photo by John Kenney/The Gazette)

Game 5 Preview, NHL.com

Game Notes

Five Keys to Game 5, canadiens.com

Game Day Report, canadiens.com

Odds aren’t good for Habs, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Both teams claim to have resiliency, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Stepan takes part in Rangers’ morning skate, NHL.com

Canadiens seek spark to extend series, NHL.com

Rangers’ Lundqvist at the top of his game, New York Times

Therrien-Vigneault friendship being tested, New York Post

Stepan skates, could be in Game 5 lineup, New York Daily News

1. CrankFSU says:

Stop with the personal attacks.

Crank

2. Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

Keys to victory: 1) Score first; 2) Don’t draw penalties (they either lead to shorties or sap momentum when they inevitably fail).

Fully expect a win. Go Habs.

~~ You’ve been spun ~~

3. piper says:

Once more into the Fray.

4. Hobie says:

I’ve been watching the playoffs since the days of the Oilers in the 80′s, really started watching as a 10-year-old when the Habs won in 86, have been a complete diehard since the early 90s when I was a teenager. So take my opinion for what it’s worth. I have been known to enjoy many cold ones during the game so maybe my judgement has been slightly clouded. ;-).

The Habs are hurting right now, unfortunately. Vanek, Subban and Emelin are not 100%. Not sure where Subban and Vanek are hurting but I’m guessing Emelin’s knee is acting up a bit as it has been off and on all year. And of course we’re missing Price. The Rangers are pretty much 100% healthy except for a sore jaw.

After saying all that, the Habs have the best roster of players since the early/mid 90′s. If Pacioretty and Desharnais can get it going, Eller and Bourque have good games, Galchenyuk shows a burst or two, Gallagher gets to the net…we can win this thing. We have a deep team. Who knows, maybe Subban and Vanek can dig down deep and have great games.

The Rangers are probably favored, but not by a mile here. I would be pretty surprised if the Habs weren’t flying and I’d be pretty disappointed if they packed in it early, which I doubt. Bergevin and Therrien have done a fantastic job building team spirit and moral here. I’m sure Bergevin has paid a visit to the dressing room today and if he already hasn’t, will deliver a tremendous speech to get the boys going.

This one will be close. I’m praying we come out on top. I love this team and management. Haven’t been able to say that in 15 or 20 years.

GO HABS GO!

5. Louisville says:

I never liked the idea of playing the Rags. When everyone was predicting a romp through them I thought that it might be a bit tougher than that, especially with Lundquist backing them up. I know this is pure speculation but I suspect the Habs would have played the Pens somewhat better than the Rags. Frankly the Pens rely so much on Crosby that shutting him down gets you halfway there. Ahhh what could have been.

Tonight is all about heart and about goaltending. The team that has both will win. Line up changes and blenders at this point are not only pathetic but useless.

6. StevieM61 says:

Required reading for the team…..

Learn how to win a faceoff….

Learn how to clear a puck…

Figure out when a guy gets behind your D
    Bullet holes in my mirrors . . . .

• The Prustean Age says:

I just don’t feel that the Habs are being pressured enough to warrant those be-damned passes up the boards when we’re in our own end. That’s such a gamble, and the Rags have feasted off of those plays. Where is the quick pass in our end, take the puck behind the net, have forwards on either side to take the pass and then flip back to D-men if pressured? Where is that, I say?

Jebus! Our D-men (which we’ve been maligning, and with some justification) are expected to ping-pong the puck 20-30 feet along the boards, up the ice, past defenders pinching, and somehow hit a forward whose back is turned!

Screw the “hockey gods”!

• jctremblay says:

Prust…lol…you nailed it. we need the forwards closer to the D so they can make a shorter pass…taht NY ice was disgraceful as well..

• The Prustean Age says:

Yep: of all the things we could do to improve, that should be number one. **How many of our goals come off of either a) forechecking/neutral zone turnovers or b) smooth transitions out of our zone where everyone’s moving BUT not too damn spread out?

Again, I just don’t see how NY’s forecheck (or hitting for that matter) justifies our panicked D-zone plays.

Yeah, ice was poohey, but…

Screw the “hockey gods”!

7. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

Temp is way down today, ice should be good.
    Pas D’Excuses.

8. JohnBellyful says:

Okay, here’s what the Habs should do on the power play:
    Have all five skaters moving toward the Ranger end with a full head of steam, starting from the Hab side of centre ice; Subban, the puck carrier, is a ways back.
    When his teammates approach the Ranger blue line, Subban flips the puck toward one face-off circle or the other, where, simultaneously, two Montreal forwards will arrive to either gather the puck in or knock the defender off it.
    (Being a set play, each destination point would have it own name which PK would yell out, like ‘Reagan!’, for the right side, or ‘Koufax!’ for the left, to alert his teammates where the puck is headed. Of course, as a precaution, the names would have to change with each new power play, and a consensus would have to be arrived at in a hurry as to which ones are the best choice; Limbaugh and Obama would seem obvious options, off the top of my head. This would be sure to confuse the hell out of the Rangers, who would be skating backwards and wondering, should they decode the system – fat chance! — whose right or left was Subban talking about.)
    Alternatively, PK could blast the puck just wide of the New York net so that it immediately bounces back out front to where, again, there will be Hab players ready to exploit the excellent scoring opportunity that’s been created.
    I realize it’s almost 4:40 which doesn’t give Michel any time to practice this play – I suppose he could try it during the pre-game warmup but I don’t think it would be a good idea to tip his hand – but I think the broad strokes of the stratagem could be sketched out in the dressing room, to the extent that it would be worth attempting in actual combat.
    And certainly if the team is held scoreless on its first seven power plays.
    N.B.: I have suggested variations of this in the past but the idea, mystifyingly, has yet to be put into action.
    Go figure.
    N.B.: And no, the preceding wasn’t addressed to Nathan Beaulieu. It’s some Italian dude’s initials (stands for Nota Bene) you cite if you want to catch people’s attention. Go figure.

• BriPro says:

Go figure!

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
      That is some of the most Free-range, Organically-grown, Disingenuous,
      Idealogically-marinated, Un-Self-awareness I’ve ever seen in the wild.

- John Stewart on Marchand, the RAT

• Bash says:

Great work JB! :)

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

9. The Prustean Age says:

Question, commentariat: how do I upload a photo for my profile?

GHG

Screw the “hockey gods”!

• BriPro says:

Go to Gravatar.com and upload an image.
      Associate it with the email address you use on here, then click on “rated G”, and it will show up here.
      It might take a few minutes.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
      That is some of the most Free-range, Organically-grown, Disingenuous,
      Idealogically-marinated, Un-Self-awareness I’ve ever seen in the wild.

- John Stewart on Marchand, the RAT

10. habs-fan-84 says:

Bell Centre better be crazy tonight. Fans have to show they haven’t given up yet. Hopefully the boys can feed off the energy!
    GO HABS GO!!

11. I felt the same way Karpen, but we’re here now and this series hasn’t shown the Habs best side.

The 7-2 embarrassment to start with excuses coming from the emotional Bruins series. Really? The NYR come from behind win over the Pens was similarly tiring and emotional, yet they came out in our building and stoned us. The last three games, we haven’t played 60 minutes, a problem we’ve had all year.

Then Timo gets upset about the Therrien re-hiring and mister flip-flop line juggler and junior talent devaluator arguments set in to make this year look like a study in futility.

Folks, I’d love for us to win tonight and extend this run, but I ain’t got a good feeling with so many players mailing it in. I hope Herr Vanek is not offered a nickel. Character he doesn’t have. Max is perennially hot and cold. We shouldn’t expect otherwise. Plekanek has been a disappointment, despite being solid defensively (he’s a forward for gosh darn sakes!), Gionta please say bye-bye! Bourque has reverted to his previous state from the Tampa series. Too bad, he always had such a great future and showed signs of brilliance. Eller, like him. Chucky, like him. Gally, best player on the team, DD, despite my wanting the midget (sorry, little person) traded, he plays with more fire than most each night, Weise, like him at least his heart, Briere, bye-bye if he’s only good for limited minutes and the playoffs and that line-up is our best, so yes, we’ve over-performed.

Poor PK, best but always will be behind McDonaugh after this series. Wonder if Colberg will improve to be another pie in the face to Timmins (I doubt it, but he was a second round pick in 2012). Do we trade Markov? Tough call, we have lot’s of D coming up but with less hockey IQ if certainly more mobility and physical impact. Emelin is a scary show most nights. If he doesn’t hit, he’s useless. Gorges is steady, but stay at home only, not great, no outlet passes and we have to look to Beaulieu since Weaver, who has been a shot blocking machine may be the only of Boullion back.

Yes, I’m talking past tense, not because I want the season to be over, but because the Habs have not inspired in this series.

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

12. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On ® says:

Is this officially another Measuring Stick Game?

X X X X X X X X X X 6 5 4 3 2 1

13. HabsKid says:

We rented space in Rask’s head. Time for more expensive real estate in NY. One more game with a strong Toker. Price is key. Boys play more disciplined with him in goal. He’s like a hockey Yoda.

14. habs-fan-84 says:

Biggest game of the year!
    Come on boys, The final stretch to the Stanley Cup starts tonight!
    GO HABS GO!!

15. howiemorenz7 says:

I see the NYR have made the dreaded Sports Illustrated cover, featuring our new arch-enemy DMan, Ryan McDonagh jumping for joy against our heroes: https://twitter.com/SInow/status/471380876237230080/photo/1

Let the SI curse do it’s thing …

Maroons Suck. #7 foreva.

16. karpen33 says:

I’ve got a hard time believing that the Habs went thru the bruins to get to the CF to lose in 5. I said I would be satisfied just to beat the bruins and I am. I don’t think I could get any more excited than I was that night of game 7. So I’m sure we will be victorious tonight and on to game 6 in NYC.

17. habsfan0 says:

The Habs really haven’t played very well in this series at all.
    Yet,they were approximately half an inch(Galchenyuk’s shot in 3rd period)from having this series tied 2-2,becoming a best of 3 with 2 of the games in Montreal.
    What happens if they start playing well?

18. 24AW says:

This is how I feel about tonights game

19. Luke says:

I like that the Barracuda Spam and Firewall filter blocks e-mails from the Barracuda Spam and Firewall filter.

That is exactly the kind of thing that makes me laugh.

Getting ready to hit the road.

Everyone enjoy the game, and I’ll see you tomorrow. Rain or Shine.

20. Say Ash says:

Has the bitching about losing Colberg begun yet?

21. HabsKid says:

Prediction- win tonight with Ticker. Pricey gets resurrected Thursday. It’s all a mental game.

• PK says:

Price in Game 7 …. ?
      That would be good on two counts.

By the way, if we get this series to a Saturday Game 7 …
      the Rags will be squealing like a stuck pig.

>>>>> Les Canadiens sont là

• habsfan0 says:

So,if Tokarski shuts out the Rags in Game 5 AND Game 6,you’d put Price back in for Game 7 if he’s available?

Oh,OK.

• PK says:

If Toker takes us to Game 7, and Price is ready, I would like having that kind of problem.
          HIO discussions may be of Halakian proportions.

An extension to your question (which I admit may not happen at all) … Who goes in for Game 1 of the SCF if Toker gets us there but CP 31 is ready?

Glad I don’t have to make those decisions but I would go with Price ….

>>>>> Les Canadiens sont là

• johnnylarue says:

No contest: Price.

Tokarski’s reward/consolation prize would come later in the form of contract offers from half a dozen teams.

• habsfan0 says:

I don’t think the Habs will let Tokarski go.
            Budaj is as good as gone,however.

• johnnylarue says:

Interesting. I actually think Tokarski is a born starter who needs to play and/or fight for a starting role on a team to be effective, whereas Budaj would likely continue to be a model backup.

As such, not sure where Dusty fits in with the Habs past this season, but I guess we’ll find out!

• knob says:

Tokarski signed a 2 year deal. First year is a 2-way contract, second year is a 1-way contract.

• johnnylarue says:

Thanks, knobster.

So wait–next year is one-way? In which case Habs will have 3 goalies signed to one-way deals?

• knob says:

new contract kicks in next year. the 1-way portion of the deal coincides with Budaj becoming an UFA

• johnnylarue says:

Bingo. That makes more sense.

22. shiram says:

Interesting graph of pro spots athlete size and height.

You can see Nathan Gerbe, John Scott and Chara on there.

23. twilighthours says:

So busy. Barely any time for HIO.

Two things

1) This is going back to NY. It just is.

2) Luke, ever heard of the Cabot Trail Relay? Look it up. It’s no joke at all! I ran it this weekend, two legs actually (a leg at 5pm and then again at 2am the next day). It’s an awesome event. You should get 16 of your running friends and come do it next year.

• BJ says:

Jesus H C.rist, 2 am? Did you run that as a Fox?

• Luke says:

2) Yes, I’ve heard of the Cabot Trail Relay.
      One of the ladies I work with crewed (she was injured) for some folks running it a few years back.
      Sounds like an awesome event.

I’m going to start looking for an end of season event (Probably Niagara Falls International, but just the half. Or maybe something out in BC… Victoria or Kelowna).

My “running everyday” plan started yesterday…

1) I sure hope so.

24. PK says:

I expect a good effort tonight by our Habs.

Still playing hockey on May 27 … who would have predicted that, at the beginning of the season?

Habs 3
    Rags 2

Go Habs Go!!!

>>>>> Les Canadiens sont là

25. 123456 says:

All this talk about players and next season – but I won’t take the bait.

The only thing I see is a game tonight – win tonight and keep playing!!!

We can get to improving the team when the season is over – hopefully that’s in a couple weeks.

• Mr. Biter says:

2 elimination games against the Bruins and we eon both so no reason we can’t win 3 straight against the Rangers. Remember if it goes 7 they’ll be remembering they were down 3-1 and came back.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

• Captain aHab says:

Oh come on, give me something…what do you think Pleks’ trade value is?

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

26. The Jackal says:

Lol Louiseville, bang on, great impersonation!

27. habs_54321 says:

I am just so frustrated right now from the recent games, how many times does a team get 8 power plays in the conference finals? That is a gimme game a gift from the hockey gods what a waste, we’ve wasted another hockey gift in miracle goaltending from tokarski, to top it off we are 100% healthy this far Into the tournament which is another miracle, that is 3 miracles wasted please someone help me find some optemism

• Luke says:

100% healthy?

Mr. Price would like to speak to you…

• Strummer says:

Price among others. We will see when this is all over how many are banged-up and to what degree.

____________________________________________________
        “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• johnnylarue says:

Yes. Rumour has it Emelin is still requiring intensive daily massages for the spear he took from Lucic before the playoffs started… which, come to think of it, might explain why he’s been looking a little too relaxed on the ice lately.

• BJ says:

Your comments remind of the guy that went to Lourdes in a wheelchair and came back with two new tires.

• 123456 says:

While I do not think it’s true – to me all the penalties again the rags were the hockey Gods adjusting to that players “surgery” on his “broken jaw”.

I am convinced that a portion of Prust suspension was due to the other player sustaining a broken jaw – and now a couple days later he may play…… in the famous words of Mr. Charles Brown: Good Grief

28. habfan100 says:

Man, I hope the Habs crush the hell out of this Rangers team tonight. Bring back Prust in Game 6 and smash em around.

29. Say Ash says:

Have Price behind the bench. Why not?

30. Pucknut says:

Watched the skate this morning and saw 7 pissed off players (Budaj, Moen, Prust, Parros. White, Murray & Tinordi) scrimmaging after everyone else had left the ice. Couldn’t help but feel for these guys who stood up for their team mates all season long. They were subjected to concussions & other various injuries that come with the territory.
    My only wish is that, tonight, the players that these guys took the blows for, leave it all on the ice & come away with a win; so that eventually these good guys can get a chance to play again.
    Go Habs Go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• knob says:

I never looked at it that way. It would be fantastic if MT incorporated that into his pre-game speech.

• Mr. Biter says:

I feel more for White and Tinordi as they’ve seen no ice time in the playoffs. Also feel for Parros however I doubt he thought he’d see much ice time in the playoffs as his job was to protect the smaller players getting into the playoff’s. Prust can’t play till next game, Moen played and played well and as much as I liked Murray’s physical presence against the Bruins, the Rangers are to fast for him.

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

31. RetroMonkey II says:

Tonight you will all feel the power of my Media Guide.
    Your habs are doomed.

Rangers will win with Lundqvist in nets.

32. DipsyDoodler says:

Stepan a game time decision.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

• Pucknut says:

… but not Carey Price !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sigh

• Mattyleg says:

We don’t need Carey.
        We need Max, Vanny-Van-Van, DD, Plecky, Bork, Larry…
        THOSE are the guys who we need to make game-time decisions.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• shandrew says:

While I agree that Toker has been playing well and the forwards are largely invisible, I can’t support any statement that begins with “We don’t need Carey.”

• Pucknut says:

I agree with you. Those players definitely have to show up as well as ante up. Big stakes tonite.
          Carey is our Crosby, Datsyuk, Kopitar etc… He’s our MVP
          …and while the players you’ve mentioned are all very good players; none of them has shown that they’re great. Carey has shown the world that he’s Great on the biggest stage. He is our best player.
          I love Tokarski. He’s playing very well for us; but, I don’t think STL scores that goal on Carey in OT. IMHO
          I hope they all chip in tonite and win so that Carey gets a chance to play again.

Go Habs Go

33. Say Ash says:

Friendly reminder: We’re days away from June and our team is still playing hockey. The Leafs were eliminated two months ago. Everyone chill out, relax and have fun.

GHG!

34. CHicoHab says:

After tonite we will be either 9-7 and off to join 26 teams on the golf course. Or we will be 10-6 and off to MSG for more hockey. I love 10-6!!! GHG!!!

• bel33 says:

10+6 adds up to sixteen…
      16 added together (1+6) equals 7…
      7 is how many games this series is going!!!
      Habs Win in 7!

I like your math!

- I’d buy that for a dollar! -

35. Louiseville says:

Can we please all get along?
    Bullying is a terrible crime, lets take it seriously.

36. adamkennelly says:

if the Habs are to win tonight – who is leading the charge?????

PK? Pax? Plek? not sure I can think of someone I’m confident will play out of their mind and secure the victory. I’m hoping its an Eller – Chucky, Gallagher type deal..bang in a few quick ones early and hang on for the ride.

• stevieray says:

I’d like it to be Bourque if not him ,,then Eller ..then Gallager..then Chucky ,,,
      PAX and Plex just aren’t getting it done ..so I suppose they are way over due !..as is Gionta…but wait aren’t these 3 our leaders ……

• BJ says:

I’ll go along with Bourque, I think his contribution in this years playoffs will make him feel more part of the club. I have a sense that he’s probably a person that takes time to integrate (he should sit next to PK to get a dose).

37. Louiseville says:

I can’t believe this idiot coach will get a contract extension!!

38. BJ says:

Trin I just finished scrolling down to the bottom of the page, I accept the responsibility of winning game 7 as you had the fortitude to claim game 6 in our favor.

39. habs001 says:

Briere has 7 points in the playoff and has not played high minutes…But i think it is a misconception to think that if he played 18-20 minutes his scoring would that much higher..At this stage of his career i am not sure he can play these minutes and be effective..

40. stevieray says:

So you know what needs to be done eh Max ….well sir ..now go do it !!!…

Youv’ve been invisible …do you want it or not !…play hard ..sacrifice the body …get to the net and score a freakin goal !!

41. moosenl says:

Go CH! Drive the net, get the garbage goals!

42. HabsWin-nipeg says:

a) a two time 40 goal scorer
    b) a two time 30 goal scorer
    c) a five time 20 goal scorer

In 9 seasons in the NHL (avg 73.7 games/season):
    30.8 goals/season
    61.8 points/season

I loved the pick up of Vanek, for this year, but the more research I do, the less I want the Habs to shell out big dollars for him. I’d rather take his likely 8 million per year asking price and split it up to add scoring depth and sign some of our own guys. The stats say Vanek is just not worth it. You could argue that he was playing on a bad team, but I would still expect a legit goal scorer to produce more than 25 a year for most of his career.

43. Luke says:

@Kooch –

Sorry dude, wasn’t talking about you in the other thread. Apologies if you thought I was. It was just the way the replies stacked and I was away for too long to clarify.

44. habstrinifan says:

LouisvilleMAY 27, 2014 AT 1:30 PM
    I’m liking the feistiness here today. If the Habs have half as much as we do, they win hands down.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like! I think this board lost all its vinegar after we defeated the Bruins. And this ‘group-hug’ innocuousness is floating over HABSWORLD like a lazy karma.

Which is why I am NOW gonna do my part to get the freakin anger quotient upped. We need to be mad like hell by game time.

So I am calling YOU….yes YOU …an A-HOLE who knows nothing about hockey!

What are you gonna do about it?

• Louisville says:

Hey stringbikini, you missed the point. You need to get the Habs angry, we’re already as angry as can be. Do you have Vanek’s text address of so forward him your post and while you’re at it to Gio, Pleks and PK, but in the meantime thanks for the thought you mothereffer!

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Trini, Louis.
      Beautiful. The whole emotional charge is really taking off, and it’s thanks to you two great, great posters. Louis: “stringbikini” is excellent. Virtual High 5s for that, and to Trini also for receiving it so well. You’re both so beautiful. I’ll be thinking about you — and about all of us — tonight during the game. Won’t you be there on the liveBlog with more mood-altering posts? I sure hope so. Don’t want to be complacent or passive during the game, an elimination game no less. Sure don’t want it to be the one 2014 Habs playoff game when the cops DIDN’T stop at the house.

So let me see. To add to the angry-birds ambiance we’re building I’m going to ask both of you powder-keg sweethearts:

Do you even watch hockey?

45. mdp2011 says:

Retweeted by Marc Antoine Godin
    Kelly Friesen ‏@KellyFriesen 2h
    Former Vancouver Giant Dalton Thrower is close to inking his ELC with the Montreal Canadians.

• Kooch7800 says:

Good to hear. Thx for posting

• Landof10000lakesHab says:

Looking forward to seeing Thrower and Dietz together as well as Bennett and Pateryn reunited. Should make for a much improved season in Hamilton. Hopefully one or more of Crisp, Hudon, or De la Rose make significant progress next season in Hamilton as well. We are stocked well on D for the next several years, need to see better and “bigger” results up front as well.

46. 24AW says:

sit back and relax tonight, even if they win they’re not winning the series, reason. except for Goaltending the Rangers are the better all around team and will win the series but, they won’t win the cup. there’s a team in LA looking pretty good right now with just as good Goal-tending and better defensively.
    Remember defense wins Championships.

47. Kooch7800 says:

Paul Stastny is who the habs should target in the offseason. Pick him up and Move either DD or Pleks

• Forum Dog says:

Yup yup. I like this. Have long thought that Stastny would be an upgrade over Plekanec. Better in faceoffs. Plays in traffic. Maybe not as fast or as responsible defensively, but more creative with the puck, which is what they need at centre. Wouldn’t want to give him any more than a 5 year deal though….

• Kooch7800 says:

10 points this year in 7 playoff games….he is a gamer

We need help in playoff scoring and Pleks is getting older. I would much rather Statsny than Vanek.

We would still need a winger though

• Forum Dog says:

Definitely need a winger, but I don’t think it needs to be a marquee name. Just someone who is willing to muck it up and has half decent hands.

The trick with Stastny is the injury thing. He’s only played a full sked 2-3 times, and wonky backs are not a good place to invest. I love him as a player and think he would be a good fit on the Habs, but they would need to do some serious due diligence before ponying up any serious dough.

• Ozmodiar says:

Stastny would be nice. He could replace DD, but not Pleks. He’d hardly be an upgrade on Pleks. Stastny would be more able to take over DD’s PP time than Pleks’ PK time. He’s doesn’t play very much on the PK. Also, Stastny could play with fellow countryman Max which wouldn’t happen if DD were still on the team.

Stastny – Pleks – Eller down the middle would look good.
      Chucky – Stastny – Eller down the road, perhaps.

48. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

Round and round we go.
    Why is necessary to extend a coach while he still has 1 year left on his contract while hard-balling players who you know you will sign ?
    Illogical.
    It’s the players who decide games.
    Just like if Vanek if is truly hurting why keep playing him cause he ain’t do squat.
    Nobody mentioning that that we’re too small anymore. Weird.

49. Danno says:

Price will “not play in Game 5 or any time soon”

Any time soon…

Is Saturday considered “soon” ?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

50. habs-fan-84 says:

Habs in 7!
    GO HABS GO!!

51. veryhabby says:

Can’t believe how NOT nervous I am for tonight’s game. Maybe I don’t believe the “we can still win this”. I was somewhat nervous for game 4, but once they lost it…

Now for game 6&7 vrs Bos…I was a wreck! And it made me think. If we fans were so passionate about that series, and not so much about this one…how much harder it has been for MTL to get their head into this series. no matter what they say to media, you can tell by how they aren’t playing their best that their hearts aren’t all in this. It is a shame as who knows if they will ever get this close to playing for a cup again (sometimes players need to realize this).

• Kooch7800 says:

This time I am not nervous. I was nervous/excited in the previous games but now the habs have nothing to lose. Everyone has written them off and are expecting them to be sent packing tonight.

I hope that isn’t the case. I would love to see the habs bounce back

• Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

People are less inclined to give a shit because the weather is so nice outside. Even if Stanley is on the line.

52. Louisville says:

53. 24AW says:

98% of the time the coach is as good as the product the GM puts on the ice. Therrien may never win a cup I don’t know, I also don’t think he’s that bad of a coach. you can’t coach what you don’t have and the Habs fall into that category. the first thing comes to mind is offense, they’re not as good as some people may think and that is a big reason why they have problems winning certain games. mediocre defense is another reason. is it just the defense or is it the overall team defense you decide. there’s a lot of if’s with this team and if they are not corrected in the off season we’ll continue to be just a playoff team if your happy with that than you shouldn’t be coming on here knocking the players, coaching and management, you’re just being an a$$o.

• Louisville says:

Stoutly reasoned, but the coach is still not very good. MB is making players moves. We all know this is a process and will take a few more years. However bringing back MT has immediate deleterious consequences.

54. DipsyDoodler says:

OK, counterfactual thinking caps on (denial isn’t always bad!)

Clearly Tomas Vanek is hurt. He cannot shoot. Most likely he has a broken wrist.

So the reality might be that, not only is he not a lazy SOB waiting to ease into retirement on the American prairies (?), he’s actually a bit of a hero.

I mean, if he’s actually playing with a broken wrist shouldn’t we be offering him a contract?

—–
    Moving. Forward.

Yup

• habstrinifan says:

NO! Are you saying that Thomas Vanek at the salary and term he would command on a UFA contract is a good investment for the HABS.

I humbly disagree…. and it has nothing to do with his play in this series or playoffs. I think it wont be the best bang for that kinda bucks.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Generally speaking I think the UFA market is a mug’s game, if only because hockey players peak at age 26-27 (for forwards) and 27-28 for defencemen.

Then again the biggest mug of all is Glen Sather and look at him now!

—–
          Moving. Forward.

• Strummer says:

Wouldn’t it be ironic if it was Subban who injured him with that bodycheck in the Boston series?

____________________________________________________
      “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

Can’t help but think that is indeed when it occurred. Was a reckless play, and it may (stress may) have cost us dearly.

• habstrinifan says:

Reckless? He went for a hit on an opponent. Unfortunate …YES!
          But reckless in the context you frame it??
          This type of teammate collision happens often in hockey.

Simplest definition of reckless! “Not thinking about the possible bad effects of your actions”.

Is one of the possible bad effects, which must be contemplated, when trying to plaster an opponent in hockey, the danger of hitting your own man.

And I use the word “plaster” deliberately for I may understand any argument that “trying” to plaster an opponent may put you out of position defensively etc.

But to use reckless IN THE CONTEXT which you did shows your often well suppressed inclination to find fault with P.K.

Oh yes.. I am aware that you “really really like P.K.”.

• Ozmodiar says:

Agreed. The play was a bit reckless.

Too bad… assuming this is when Vanek was injured.

• Forum Dog says:

If he is injured, that is quite likely where/when it happened.

Personally I don’t see signing Vanek up to a long-term deal. He has probably already had his best years. Let someone else pay for them. He was brought in to help now and – to some extent – he has done that. Save his $7.5M and use it to sign Beaulieu and Tinordi 2-3 years from now.

• PK and Vanek will get over 8 million each.

I’d rather pay PK over 8 and then get two 20 goal scorers instead of Vanek’s 30-40 goals.

With a 20 goal scorer you get two players who normally play their butt off every single shift. They’re hard workers who want the goals.

This team has needed scoring these playoffs. Secondary scoring that shoud come from Pleks, Gio, Der…..what am I doing here, we aren’t scoring from the players who are paid to score the big goals.

Gio should have been traded at the deadline along with our #1 2014 pick to provide offense for the playoffs. It didn’t hurt us in the first two series, but it is now, and it will next series when we face the KINGS.

GO HABS GO, TAKE THESE RAGS DOWN!

Shane Oliver
      @sholi2000
      A Little fun during the Intermission
      Don’t Poke The Bear

• DipsyDoodler says:

Sorry, but I’m in the mood to call people on random stuff today.

Who would we have gotten for Gionta and our #1 pick, that was available?

We got the top UFA on the market, and gave up Collberg and a second round pick.

We did get offence. When Vanek was healthy we were scoring 3+ goals/game.

Now he isn’t and we’re facing the stingiest defence in the East.

Who was available and why are the sellers interested in Gionta?
        —–
        Moving. Forward.

• My point was that we should have moved Gionta for scoring.

You want to give two players 17 millions dollars. That’s poor management.

As for who at the deadline, I’m busy plus it’s not my freakin job to bring in players, the GM dropped the ball there. Gio will not be back, and will walk for nothing. Not that he’s worth much, but when you package that #1 pick in a weak year then you never know.

and what does that first line mean?

Shane Oliver
          @sholi2000
          A Little fun during the Intermission
          Don’t Poke The Bear

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Never move your captain mid season. NEVER!

If Gio had 3-4 goals you would not be saying that

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Kooch7800 says:

NJ wanted Gionta back and had an offer on the table apparently. Rumour was the Devils offered a prospect and a second round pick but were told he was unavailable.

• DipsyDoodler says:

That makes zero sense.

The Devils were prepared to give us more for Gionta than other teams gave up for Moulson, Gaborik or Vanek?

Plus a prospect and a pick wouldn’t have helped us in the playoffs.

—–
            Moving. Forward.

• Kooch7800 says:

Obviously, I am not an insider but that was what people were saying after the deadline was over.

Don’t forget Gionta had his best year in NJ and him and Lou have a great relationship and his brother plays there so a chance of him resigning were high.

Who knows when this was offered to. Could have been a couple weeks before the deadline. The deadline people really didn’t give up much. Moulson I can see why….he didn’t do much in Minny either, Vanek you couldn’t get much cause 99% chance he was testing free agency so no one wanted to give up much and Gaborik had been struggling big time for the last couple years and now he is on fire. Hats off to LA for that gamble

• Nailed it Kooch! Thanks for the info, I don’t remember yesterday let alone what happened back in March and there was something with a team on the West coast but again I can’t remember.

At the time the Canadiesns didn’t want to trade their captain, and I can understand that however when PK Subban and Dale Weise are talked to more than Gionta then he is no longer the leader in the dressing room.

Back to Work, need to shine my skates!

Shane Oliver
            @sholi2000
            A Little fun during the Intermission
            Don’t Poke The Bear

• knob says:

I would be surprised if this was true. Trade deadline was a buyer’s market, big time. I was in the camp that felt it was best to move Markov and Gionta that is until I seen what the market value was for players. Likely would have got a 2nd rounder for Markov and a fifth rounder for Gionta. Better to keep them for a playoff push.

• habcertain says:

it would be, but don’t believe it is a fit with him and MT. Briere has done nothing but accumulate points when given ice time, but is doesn’t matter, Gio/Pleks types are better suited to this coach.

• DipsyDoodler says:

I’m not sold on Briere. I think it’s smoke and mirrors.

—–
        Moving. Forward.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Make that torch and mirrors.

• habcertain says:

not a matter of being sold, for whatever reason MB signs the guy, at least put him in a position to produce, especially in light of him maximizing his opportunities when he had them. this is the type of sh!t that drives me nuts with MT. It would seem to me that at this stage, with Max stuck in neutral, DD working hard but getting nothing you would at least try Vanek back on the line to get the magic back, we shall see. I still envision Gio/Pleks on the 2nd wave of a useless PP that neither can contribute to, but reality doesn’t matter with this guy.

• franco says:

I like it when people say ‘clearly this or clearly that’, when nothing is clear.

Clearly the Canadiens must win tonight. But, if they do not, then ‘CLEARLY’ big changes will have to be made…….NOT.

These are the possibilities Vanek is hurt, he is lazy, he is playing safe, he is burnt out. Clearly he wants a big contract, and clearly this is not helping him, unless it is disclosed that he ‘clearly’ was hurt.

Maybe he has the wrong line mates, but if he is hurt, then that would just screw up the other two players.

I wish I could see everything as clearly as many on here do.

Maybe the Canadiens are a spent force, maybe the size issue is their downfall, and clearly will have to be addressed.

There are some who think this, win or lose was a great run. Who you ask? Management, ownership, some players and the other 26 teams that did not get this far.

There should 26 coaches fired, but there won’t be, so clearly things should be reassessed.

55. Forum Dog says:

Like Galchenyuk’s comments regarding whether or not the Habs have played their best hockey yet. He is gonna be a great 200 foot player and they need to try and find ways to get the puck on his stick. It’ll be easier if/when he moves to centre, but even right now he is probably in the top 3 when it comes to Habs puck-handlers. Guys who play with him should dish the puck off and get to the net.

• Louisville says:

I know that he isn’t but Chucky really does remind me of J. Toews. If he becomes half the player than we will have a great one for many years.

• Forum Dog says:

They have their similarities when it comes to physical attributes and skill sets, though I think they are different types of players. Toews is grittier and gets a lot of points based on sheer effort. Team-mates feed of him and he can put a team on his shoulders and carry them.

Galchenyuk is a bit more finesse, and probably doesn’t have the same leadership abilities. That said, he is surgeon-like with his hands and (IMO) a lot more creative than Toews, which means he might put up more points as a fully developed player.

56. ffenliv says:

The amount of rage directed towards coaches in this league by fans is bananas.

Fans recognize that changing the coaching staff is a lot easier than changing the entire roster of playing personnel. From there, they decide that any real chance can ONLY come from changing coaches.

A good example, re: Michel Therrien. Fired by the Pens while they were having a rough year when expected to contend for the cup – after a season in which Therrien coached them into the finals, for pete’s sake!

Bylsma is brought in, they win the cup. You read Pens fan sites now, and a lot of them think Bylsma’s cup was really the result of Therrien’s coaching, and many of them want Bylsma’s head, just as they did Therrien’s, for perceived failures.

The Habs could bring in the world’s greatest coach, and if he .500 after a month, there would be screaming.

Just because coaching changes are a lot easier than player changes doesn’t mean it’ll do any real good. See: Winnipeg. Claude Noel is fired, Paul Maurice brought in. Team goes on a winning stretch, but eventually regresses to what you’d expect from a team with that collection of players: missing the playoffs.

57. CJ says:

Looks like the Habs are inching closer to signing Dalton Thrower.

I have not found any information regarding the status of Brady Vail or Erik Nystrom, who both need to be signed to their entry level contracts by June 1, 2014.

• AH says:

I sure hope so CJ, he’s got a nasty streak and I hear he can “throw” em. I saw him and Dietz live in Edmonton couple of years ago Thrower looked fine, but Dietz looked great!. I’m hoping they both pan out for the Habs.

• Forum Dog says:

Have to think that all three end up signed. The Bulldogs need some depth, and all of these guys are worth an entry level deal IMO. None are likely to demand huge bonuses or NHL level salaries. Nystrom would be the only one I would question, since his skill set might be a bit redundant.

58. WVHabsfan says:

For those with NHL Network, Habs CH is on from 1-2 today.

59. WVHabsfan says:

No problem, Cal. I agree about the emotion. I swear more than I would like suiting Habs games at times.

60. Louisville says:

The saddest part of Therrien getting an extension, is not the nonsensical coaching moves that he continuously makes and that has pundits and fans alike scratching their heads, but it is his inability to develop young talent. How many of you think PK took a step forwards this year? How about Tinordi or Beaulieu or Galchenyuk. At best they’ve gone sideways. I suppose the Therrien apologists will say that this is all on the players, but it isn’t on the players. Developing young players is the job of the coach.

• habcertain says:

did he get an extension?

• Louisville says:

If he hasn’t he will very shortly. But rumour is that he has already inked a deal.

• Timo says:

Maybe Subban learned about it just before game 4 and just couldn’t overcome the dejection. I mean, it IS extremely disheartening news to have learned.

• Louisville says:

You might just be right Timo. Not sure what RFA really means, but I gotta believe deep down that PK can’t stand MT and would prefer to move elsewhere to get away from him. What are his options if he does not want to sign here? Does MB lose his job if he can’t sign PK?! What are the restictions on an RFA?

• Timo says:

As far as I know Subban can get signed to an offer sheet by other team and Habs will have a choice to either match the offer or let him go to another team and get a bunch of useless draft picks (which with Habs’ history of drafting we know will be indeed useless).

If retained, Subban will probably show a bit more desire than Vanek, but in his own mind he could be gone already. There is no point for him to stick around this team and being molded into something he is not but a beer league coach.

• habcertain says:

oh great, more Frankie/Pleks/Markov/Gio, less Eller/Chucky/Tiny/Nate…… and of course another year of effing with PK’s head. We absolutely cannot be depending on the old horses again, we need to have a transition year. Not one young player progressed over this year, depressing. I wonder how this will effect the PK signing, and any other potential UFA?

• mdp2011 says:

“Developing young players is the job of the coach.”

No it isn’t, winning hockey games is the job of the coach. Player development falls to others in the organization.

• Strummer says:

Yes it is sad.
      Because FINAL FOUR APPEARANCES USUALLY GET COACHES CANNED.

RIGHT??
      ____________________________________________________
      “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• Hobie says:

Let it go man. You were wrong about him. He’s a good coach.

• D Mex says:

Therrien has done a good job this season.

Don’t waste your keystrokes / he and omiT are on a roll with each other. Muck to the n-th degree – pessimistic bliss.

ALWAYS Habs -
        D Mex

• franco says:

Whats a pundit?

So if you question Terrien, you are sort of questioning the management team, right up to Bergevin.

Who is this young talent he is failing to develop?

Tinordi, Beaulieu, Galchenyuk, have not gone sideways, they are progressing at the normal pace.

Galchenuk is 20 years old, stop expecting so much so soon.

Defence is the hardest position to learn and it takes time for instincks to take over and the postition to come naturally.

Bergevin knows the game as do the rest of the management team. The slow approach is the best of approach. Why you ask? Because of fans like you, who expect to much.

Bounival or Subban are prime examples of that approach. Subban won the Norris under Terrien, so try to be fair. Try your best to be fair. You can scratch your head with a couple of other social net work buddies, but……hey many disagree and are happy with the progress, win or lose tonight.

61. Habsrule1 says:

Just so everyone realizes it, no line-up changes doesn’t mean that the lines themselves can’t be changed. I’m fine with keeping the same guys in, but I want Vanek with Pacioretty & Desharnais, Eller with Galchenyuk & Gallagher and Markov with PK.

Don’t go down without a fight!!

Go Habs Go!!

• 24AW says:

couldn’t agree more, lets see what they can do as a line in the playoffs for future reference and maybe extend this round against the Rangers,

62. jamman says:

Do I think we can come back? Absolutely. But if the game goes south Kreider must pay

63. WVHabsfan says:

Cal. Not that you need to hear it, but you are nothing near being a bully. I just caught up on some of the other posts on the last update and I have no idea what Louisville is talking about. Have a good one and Go Habs go!

64. Thomas Le Fan says:

The reigning Stanley Cup Champions are also down 3-1. Hard to win in this league. Go Habs!

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

65. jrshabs1 says:

Did Ryan White fall off the face of the earth? Wouldn’t his fresh legs and energy be a big plus heading in to tonights game? What happened to Moen? Did he fall into M.T.’s doghouse after he got knocked out by Millar way back when? The Habs had an opportunity to set the physical tone, but, they refuse to play the guys who can do it?

Go Habs Go!!!!!

• Timo says:

I wonder re Moen too… he used to be almost like Bouillon… Therrien would put him in no matter what. Both probably no longer are in Habs’ plans (not a huge loss, but getting some fresh legs out there can’t hurt)

• franco says:

I think fast skating is needed, these guys do not fit that bill.

• habstrinifan says:

Moen might be a good addition tonight. If only for his experience.

Sit who? I am gonna say Gionta and duck. I don’t really mean it cause it will be bad chemistry to sit him… but geeez he takes up a huge number of TOI which goes a wasting….and sitting him will mean that ‘younger’ guns will play more.

• franco says:

The defensive part of the game escapes you completly.

Gionta plays a solid role out there if you consider the shutdown side of the game. He is experienced, there are plenty of other players that can pick up the scoring.

• habstrinifan says:

No! The defensive part of the game does NOT escape me! In fact your statement is such an obvious ‘fallback’ retort that it begs the question how much of a kneejerk response is your post.

Let us say that Gionta is a defensive ‘specialist’ as you say.

Do you recall another recent defensive specialist for the HABS?
            His name was Carbonneau.

When Carbonneau was at the same stage of his career as Gionta is now (I think Carbonneau had never lost as much of his game as Gionta)… did he, Carbonneau, play as many minutes as Gionta does on this team.

Even if you use Gionta as a defensive specialist, minus some of his TOI so as to give the younger guns the chance to ‘push’ the momentum.

Awaiting your answer! Should Gionta be playing more minutes than Carbonneau did at the comparable stage of their careers.

• franco says:

Gionta is probably playing his last couple of games as a Canadiens.

Carboneau was in bracket all his own, to compare him or anyone to Carboneau is hardly fair.

When he was traded Canadiens fans did not know what they were losing. Gionta is exactly the player you want when your back is against the wall…..he is a gamer, many habs are not scoring.

You must give credit to the Rangers and to Lundquist. Canadiens are fast and the Rangers are faster, with the same kind of shot blocking defensemen.

Boston was slower, Rangers are faster, now figure out how to counter it. Boston never did figure it out.

• Strummer says:

Fresh legs aren’t an issue as the 4th line plays around 10 minutes a night with 2 days off between games.
      White and Moen provide no offense and this team needs scoring.

____________________________________________________
      “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

66. habstrinifan says:

Comment : (2014-05-27 09:01:31)(on a habs win).
    “…. Sneak hint/wish: Price sneaks in for period and a half. Then leaves when score is 3-0 HABS.”

Am I a freakin genius or what? YES! Confirmed!

Price is starting THIS game! (kinda confirmed)!

Boys get a big boost. Kick Rangers arse to a 3-0 score by mid 2nd. Rangers try to stuff…. Price leaves after 2nd period with 3-0 lead.

HABS win 5-1.

67. chilli says:

Goaltending has not been the problem. Take away the stretch pass breakaways and get our scorers to score and we win that last game as well as the next ones.

Any goalie in the league will give up a snipe from St Louis, Richards or Nash – but we can’t ask Toker to save breakaways as well.

He’s doing his job – the scorers need to do theirs.

Here we go boys. Win tonight.

Tre

No changes to the lineup that sucked so so bad in game 4. That’s brilliant. I hope Bergevin is tripping over himself to hand Therrien that extension.

• Forum Dog says:

I’m not a huge Therrien fan, but it would be hard to make changes to a lineup that took the game to overtime, and was a cross-bar away from winning. A little more physical aggression and the Game 4 lineup can pull one out tonight.

• Timo says:

That’s one way to look at it. Another way to look at it is to see a lineup that can’t generate any sustained pressure in the Rag’s zone, can’t clear the puck to save their lives, can’t score on PP, can’t put 2 passes together and can’t hit. That’s another way to look at it.

The result of last game is an indication of how crappy the Rangers are, and not how good the Habs are.

• ths says:

Right On ! Get #$$% Tinordi in there. Get a drunk guy off the street to stagger into a room with Emelin, Boullion or Gorges and whoever he falls on or Pi$$es on sits.
          Same thing for Vanek, Bourque get White in there.

Ooh Aah Habs on the war path

• Forum Dog says:

lol – I can’t say I disagree with any those points. Somehow I still believe however, which is as about as close to religiosity as I get.

Therrien is going to get a contract whether they win or lose this game, so I’ll stick to hoping that they win – and that the contract is for no more than 1 year.

• franco says:

Can’t…..can’t….can’t….you used can’t 5 times.

I think you ‘can’t get no satisfaction’…..if the Canadiens let you down so much, what is your reason to follow this.

You could do something that gives you satisfaction. Do something that you can control, that you can enjoy, that you can feel good about.

• Prop says:

Timo, I hope you’re sitting…

Marinaro is saying that Therrien’s contract has already been extended but it’s kept under wraps to avoid distraction.

____________________
      DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• habstrinifan says:

Bergevin sure sounded that way in his earlier comments on Therrien sometimes last week.

• Timo says:

Well… that will be just an icing on the cake after Habs are bounced tonight, won’t it?

• habstrinifan says:

Timo you know Therrien aint going anywhere. So the ONLY way to survive the Therrien era of coaching is to have the placebo glow which comes from a victory in a game like tonite.

So just breathe deeply; hold your nose; and cheer for the BOYS … if not the coach.

• Timo says:

Wish it was that easy. Since the game one of this series I find it hard to cheer for anyone on this team save a few players. For the most part, the team mailed it in.

On a positive note, you won’t have to spend your summer working on new material. With Therrien back you can just keep going through the motions, you should be excited. All that extra free time with your family or getting massages!

• Timo says:

Apparently, neither will you.

Forsure, I like the direction the team is going. I continue to try and accept MT as the coach as frustrating as it may be. But I like what MB is doing, so at this point I am good with it.

• franco says:

Well deserved if Therien got an extention. Molsen made a ton of dough off of this run. Bergevin has been proven to be on the right track.

That is the reward for making the corporation known as the Montreal Canadiens a ton of moula and helping beer sales.

• 24AW says:

I think you’re on to something there. Molsens made a ton of dough of this run, so don’t worry about winning a cup just keep making a ton of dough for us every year, great job.

• Louisville says:

Lineup changes during elimination games don’t make sense. Briniging in Tinordi or White after sitting for so long is too risky. This coach should have figured out the lineups 50 games ago. Anyway, tonight it is all about heart. Whoever has more of it will win the game.

• franco says:

I don’t know if you realize it or not but Chicago has been juggling their lineup around trying to find a solution to L.A.

Scotty Bowman was well known for juggling his all star teams around. All coaches do it, trying to find that combination. Open your trap door and and take a peak at the rest of the world that passes you by.

• franco says:

Bergevin is part of the process. If he wanted big changes they would happen. Your hate of Therien is almost psychotic. You need to up your meds.

• Louisville says:

Do we need to have another bully discussion Franco? Please go to the last blog and read the bully discussion there and take some of your own pills please.

• franco says:

Louie, Louie…you got to chill out, do not be afraid of a different opinion.

It may do you some good to expand your thinking into other possibilities I come in peace brother.

• Louisville says:

I’m up for the discussion. It’s the insults that disgrace you. Please do not make it personal.

69. UKRAINIANhab says:

Ghg

—- Plekanec and Markov, Canadiens for life —-

70. WindsorHab-10 says:

No changes in the lineup is a big mistake IMO.

• franco says:

Maybe changes would be a mistake toss the coin.

If you are right, oh wait we will never know, because if they lose, we will not know if changes would have helped.

You are kind of insulated, you can only be right, but not wrong.

Perfect world you live in.

71. habs-fan-84 says:

Maybe this gives the boys a boost

72. D Mex says:

A positive development !

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

73. NL_habs_fan says:

First? me really?

Habs 4-2 tonight

oh not first. . but a close 3rd

74. Ozmodiar says:

Are Price’s eyes closed in that pic?!?