Multimedia: Habs’ Price, Diaz in all-star action

Raphael Diaz

Canadiens’ Raphael Diaz shows his stickhandling skill Saturday in Kanata.
Bruce Bennett, Getty Images

AUDIO, following skills: Carey Price | Raphael Diaz

Canadiens goalie Carey Price, wearing a microphone inside his mask to the delight of television viewers, and defenceman Raphael Diaz dipped their toes into all-star action Saturday at Scotiabank Place.

We’ll add more images to this post Sunday.

Thanks to Heather Engel for sending along the audio. Follow Heather on Twitter at @engelheather

Carey Price is introduced for the start of the evening’s events.
Dave Sandford, NHLI via Getty Images

Price turns his back, successfully as it turned out, on Flyers’ Sean Couturier during shootout action.
Blair Gable, Reuters

Raphael Diaz takes a shot of Price during a break in the action.
Dave Sandford, NHLI via Getty Images

Diaz threads his way through a challenging puck-control course.
Bruce Bennett, Getty Images

Diaz at work under the watchful gaze of fellow all-stars.
Christian Petersen, Getty Images Sport

Another view of Price’s unique stop of Flyers’ Couturier.
André Ringuette, NHLI via Getty Images

Price shows, well, unorthodox style in a shootout attempt by San Jose’s Logan Couture.
André Ringuette, NHLI via Getty Images

1. gpfsupplies2 says:

GPFS has been servicing contractors and wholesales nationwide with great products, services and Franchise Business Opportunities. With superior customer service, quality products and amazing prices, GPFS has been exceeding customers expectations and putting new standards for the wholesale distributors.

2. Thomas Le Fan says:

Since we can’t apparently let this go, it’s nice to see that the makers of straw men continue to explain Tim Thomas’ and Tea Party reasoning and as usual, get it all wrong. It must be numbly comforting to live inside the echo chamber of the left. The USA is the brokest country in the history of the world and yet wanting a government that lives within its means is such a radical thought. I expect much pi$$ing and moaning when Mr. Harper, in order to thus avoid the depths of a U.S. style deficit, announces the new budget.

Go Habs

• Strummer says:

Everyone’s entitled to theri opinion – unless you’re a Libertarian Ice Hockey Goaltender

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”
      -Dennis Miller

• idle says:

Mr. Harper’s government is responsible for more spending than any government in the history of Canada. It’s absurd that conservatives call themselves stewards of the economy. Steady hand at the wheel? Yeah, but in what direction??

———————————–
      MusicCavity.com

3. SmartDog says:

Bored I guess… I was just looking at the TSN individual power rankings. We have four guys in the top 200. The first shows up about 80th (Cole), with Patches just behind (86th I think). Price shows up around 120 and PK around 180. And th-th-th-that’s all folks!

So on average, in a 30 team league a team should have 7 guys in that list, fairly evenly distributed, one in about each 30 players. So instead of 7 we have 4. And our “top 30 guy” is totally missing, while our “top 60″ guy falls deep into the next frame, and everyone after that shows up late as well. Note however that PK is one of the 4. He must be doing some things right.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• SlovakHab says:

Well. Power rankings reflect the current form of players. Of course we won’t be doing extremely well, considering we are just a couple of points above the last place in our conference.
      We don’t have any point per game players and Price’s numbers aren’t exceptional.
      Teams that do well will have more players in the top. I don’t know why would it be an even distribution – Colombus won’t have as many players as Bruins. That makes sense.
      Price is better than 120th best player in the league and Subban is better than 180th.

• Un Canadien errant says:

SlovakHab, SmartDog is using the even distribution model as a comparative, an “all else being equal”. Of course the more powerful teams will have more players in these rankings.

SmartDog, interesting timewaster you did there. It reinforces my gut check at the start of the season, where I downgraded the Canadiens’ chances and predicted they’d battle to make it into the playoffs. During the summer and pre-season when everything was roses and P.K. would improve on last season and Mike Cammalleri would score 35-40 because of Andrei Markov’s savant passes on the powerplay, I had lofty expectations, until I looked at other teams’ rosters and realized that the Penguins, for example, had Crosby-Malkin-Staal as their top centers, while we fretted about Scott Gomez and whether Lars or David Desharnais should be our #2 centre. I saw the Bruins send down Jordan Caron since they didn’t have room for him on their roster, while we didn’t have an NHL fourth line. It was the dose of reality I needed. Your analysis has much the same effect.

———————————
        How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

4. Feraco says:

Boonie with the best post I have ever read.

5. SmartDog says:

Serious question about Crosby for someone with some medical knowledge or experience…

Is it POSSIBLE that the discovery of the neck injury has an element of positive to it? Certainly having a cracked vertebrae and not knowing it’s there is NOT good, but my point is – is it possible that his recent symptoms are do to THIS injury and that those symptoms are likely to abate or resolve with the right treatment/healing?

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Habsrule1 says:

I think that is correct. I heard his agent, Pat Brisson stating almost exactly that.

The concussion is much better, and the neck thing can be treated, much like MaxPac’s was.

Go Habs Go!!

• SmartDog says:

Thanks. I am SHOCKED that TSN didn’t cover this angle. It occurred to me right away.

And by shocked I mean not at all surprised… why go into a bit of depth, when you can keep everyone all stirred up about this latest “tragedy?” I hope Crosby is back soon and scoring like the machine he is. Until of course he meets us in the playoffs again…. in 2013.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

6. habs17 says:

just becuase u dont like drake doesent mean other ppl dont like him i like drake one of my favorrite artist’s GO HABS GO GO DRAKE GO

7. Habsrule1 says:

Just curious. Who are the knobs that voted yes in the PK poll?

:-P

Go Habs Go!!

• ProHabs says:

Jack Todd, Red Fisher and Pat Hickey are 3 of the votes. Add in the Antichambre crew (Tremblay, Bergeron, Terrian, Stock, Jacques Martin) and you are up to around 8 of the votes.

• Marc10 says:

Agree. Kinda nuts considering this is the rookie D that came in when Markov got injured, played 29 minutes and shut down the best player on the planet (Crosby).

That guy hasn’t gone away – and that’s not a guy we’d trade easily.

Give me a bonafied first line center still in his prime in exchange and we could talk, but I don’t see that happening.

PK is still a workhorse. Our GM’s mission should be to pair him with a dominant D with size and grit. Pair him with the likes of Suter in Nashville and PK would make the All-Star Team and be short listed for Team C. Simple as that.

• LA Loyalist says:

Exactly. PK needs a little more mentoring and decent coaching and a steady partner like Craig Ludwig or Rick Green.

I’d be tempted to develop him with Emelin, but you guys would know that better than I.

• Habsrule1 says:

I wish the Habs would hire someone like that as an assistant again.

Go Habs Go!!