Habs players talk about the shortened season that awaits them

Candiacweb

In the wake of Sunday’s tentative deal between the National Hockey League and the NHL Players’ Association on a new collective agreement several Canadiens players spoke to the media Monday about the shortened season that looms ahead and the prospect of playing again.

“This is the day I’ve been dreaming of for the past couple of months,” said Habs forward Max Pacioretty before hitting the ice at an arena in Candiac on Montreal’s South Shore.

Pacioretty was one of more than a dozen players, not all of them Habs, who practised in Candiac, including captain Brian Gionta, forward Travis Moen and defenceman Francis Bouillon.

“It’s going to be a great feeling to finally strap on the skates with the boys again,” Pacioretty said. “And we owe our fans a big show and we owe them a great season. So hopefully we can get off on the right track and do that for them.”

You can hear more from Pacioretty here:

Forward Brandon Prust, who signed with the Habs as a free agent last summer, also had some words for fans, noting “they stood behind us and they stuck this out. We hope they come back.”

“We’re going to put a good product out on the ice for them. You don’t want to miss a game this year because it’s going to be high intensity and very passionate,” Prust added. “The boys are itching to go and I hope the fans are too.”

You can hear more of his comments here:

A week ago, Canadiens goalie Carey Price figured the NHL season was going to be cancelled, telling The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs: “I didn’t think we were going to play, I was just about ready to mail it in.”

Things obviously changed and Price was left scrambling to get back to Montreal.

“Just packing up my equipment,” Price told Stubbs late Sunday night from Washington state, organizing his life at the home of the parents of his fiancée, Angela. “I’ve got it all at the house. I’ve kept it here the last little while in case we needed to get on the move. I’m ready to go.”

You can read Stubbs’s column on Price by clicking here.

Meanwhile, the gambling website Bodog.ca has listed the Canadiens as 30-1 longshots to win the Stanley Cup. The Pittsburgh Penguins are the favourites at 8-1. Read more by clicking here.

(Photo by Dario Ayala/The Gazette)

1. Rad says:

I would be very surprised to see Galchenyuk stick with the team beyond the 9-game tryout phase. Both for salary cap and developmental reasons, Alex will be sent back to Sarnia this year. Habs also have Leblanc, Gallagher, and Bournival pushing for spots on the forward lines, not to mention a healthy Rene “The Enigma” Bourque or Scott The Gomez.

This is not going to be the transitional year we are all waiting for folks. This is another year we endure, in the hopes of a brighter future starting next year and beyond. With a deep draft and plenty of draft picks in 2013, I am ok with that. Maybe we get lucky and hit a home run in that Draft, and then 2013 will be the real beginning of the next generation Habs team.

Over/under on when I am going to have to whip out my Tank™ avatar?

3. HABZ24 says:

Like a lil kid,so happy hockeys back, following sportsdesk again, reading hockeyinsideout everyday,listening to the team tsn 690 everyday,cant wait to see the first game !!

GO HABS GO

4. ZepFan2 says:

kevin82
    30 mins ago

“Maybe give all the fans a rule book . That way they won’t boo the refs every time one of Habs players trip over their own feet.Worst rink in the league for fans not understanding the game

:lol:

This is the kind of drivel that they post at tsn.

———————————————————————-
    Ka is a wheel.

Fans Theme: “You’re Breaking my heart, You’re tearin’ it apart” – Harry Nilsson

You’re breaking my heart

5. Ozmodiar says:

I’m just glad we don’t have to put up with more Fantasy blog postings.

oh, wait…

6. Sportfan says:

Hey guys I just wrote another baseball blog and I would love if you guys check it out. This piece means a lot to me because its about the Montreal Expos and some memories about them. Again would love if you read it and leave feed back/share/like it if you want :)

7. Ron says:

If anyone is interested, the Bulldogs play the Marlies tonight on TVAS. Game start at 8:30. It might be worth while to see who is in either line up or lacking from the line up pending the upcoming NHL camps. The Dogs have signed Joey Tenute (Hamilton native) to a PTO contract and made some call ups.

Call ups: Def. Stejskal, For. Leveille

8. HabsFanMTL says:

so i guess the realignment discussed last year isn’t going to happen for this year

We have decided to pick a game date for our 2013 weekend HIO Summit in Oct. or Nov. 2013. Please keep your cancelled tickets, it is the only way we can replace them with the new ones. Don’t lose them. All our money for the new tickets, is in our Summit account now.
    For all other HIO members that want to get tickets for our Summit, please stay tuned over the months for instructions once we pick the Summit weekend game!
    Ian

SUMMIT NEWS!. Nov. 2012
    I have had a couple of calls pertaining to refunds from a couple of members that had missed this notice!
    Summit News! LOCK OUT,
    I have instructed the Bell Center to not refund my visa account, but to hold on to our money and replace all the tickets purchased with the same seats at a date of our choosing.
    They are going to do that for us.
    It would be a nightmare for me to get everyone’s mailing address, pay for money orders U.S. and Canadian, stamp envelopes etc. for a hundred and fifty people.
    I am just not going to do that.
    Anyone who could not make the new date next year, we will help you sell your new tickets to other HIO members that would like to go on the new Summit dates.

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments
    Sure hope this works for everyone.
    Ian

10. AllHailTheFlower says:

Apparently the Panthers are willing to give Kovy a chance to return to the NHL…I’m actually a little surprised he wants to.

11. DorvalTony says:

Did I miss something? Darche was resigned?

//Union fat cat$ like Eric Cole just don’t get it.//

12. petefleet says:

The team lines as I see it.

Max-DD-Cole
    Bourque-Pleks-Gionta
    Moen-Eller-Armstrong
    Prust-Nokia-White
    Galchenyuk

Markov-Emelin
    Cube-Diaz
    PK-Gorges
    Kaberle

Nice balance on “O” and “D”. New systems may make the difference from last year. Maybe win half the one goal games they lost last year.

******************************************

“It just goes to show how difficult predictions are, especially ones made about the future.”

RGM
    ***Habs Forever***

• DorvalTony says:

No Leblanc, Bournival or Gallagher?

//Union fat cat$ like Eric Cole just don’t get it.//

• Phil C says:

Gomez? He is healthy and being paid a lot of cash, so he will be in the lineup for at least this season. Zero chance of being bought out this year. Traded? Seems unlikely. Where to put him will likely disrupt your line up significantly. I see him as a third line centre with Bourque on the right. I can’t see him on the fourth line or as a winger.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Let´s please not waste Eller again. Let him center the second line and move Desharnais to the third or play him LW on the second.

• Guy-Guy-Guy says:

I’d like to see Plekanec get even more help on his wing and move up to number 1 C. He deserves the spot. Bourque is a big body and it would be nice to see DD’s playmaking magic get him scoring again.

Having all the eggs (wingers)in the same basket so to speak made the habs too easy to play against last year.

Pac-Plekanec-Gionta
      Bourque-DD-Cole

Guy Lafleur smoked between periods. Did smoking give him the relaxation he craved before scoring so many goals?

13. J.J. of Turku says:

Seems like I’m banned. Just testing if this post shows up…

Bazinga!

Old news?

As per RDS, Commodore is invited to Habs camp. Boy, our D is looking better and better day by day.

15. ZepFan2 says:

Canadien fans can be found everywhere

FF to the 3:55 mark.

———————————————————————-
    Ka is a wheel.

Fans Theme: “You’re Breaking my heart, You’re tearin’ it apart” – Harry Nilsson

You’re breaking my heart

16. rhino514 says:

I still say that moving Galchenyuk occasionally to right wing is a bit odd and a bit of a red flag. In one article Pat hickey stated that the move could be because “Canadiens see Galchenyuk as a winger”. Perhaps his skating is sub-par for an NHL centre? No question he has NHL talent but is he going to be a star?

• TomNickle says:

His skating is sub-par for the NHL level. But that isn’t why he was moved to the wing position. It was done by Jacques Beaulieu to generate more offense early in the season when Sarnia was struggling to score goals.

• jedimyrmidon says:

His skating is subpar? I’ve read that it’s only his acceleration that he really needs to work on, and even then it’s supposedly not a major issue at all.

• TomNickle says:

Acceleration is a pretty significant part of skating. And becomes even more important at the pro level.

Not saying he won’t improve because I believe he will. But today, his skating is sub-par by NHL standards.

As it is for some other very productive players.

17. Habfan10912 says:

Lots of different opinions here on if Galchenyuk should stick on the big club or be sent to the Sting. One of the clubs bigger issues is at the Centre position especially size wise. Would the Hab’s look at his development as a Centre as part of their decision to keep him with the big club? I know he’s been playing primarily a wing at Sarina but it’s been reported that after the puck drops he’s often assumed the centre position during play anyway.
    ———————————–

• TomNickle says:

Bringing him up immediately as a centreman could ruin him. The adjustments going from centre at the junior or collegiate level to the pros is like mental warfare between both sides of your brain.

The one aspect that Galchenyuk has down in that department is the give and go coming out of a cycle. But that’s a tiny albeit important part of the adjustment.

He needs to be brought up as a winger if he isn’t going to spend any time in the AHL(and he won’t).

It’ll allow him to learn in practice from two very defensively responsible centremen in Plekanec and Eller.

• Habfan10912 says:

At the very least he stays for 9 games, yes?

———————————–

• TomNickle says:

I don’t see how they send him down at all.

They’ll get the maximum out of him at the NHL level if they decide they are going to send him down though. If he were in College or AHL eligible I could see it but not back to junior.

Attention Nuna! Please re-read this link discussing the ownership group of the Montreal Canadiens.

The brothers Molson, Michael Andlauer, Luc Bertrand. All hailing from Quebec, thus the reason the Quebec Gov’t approved a 75million dollar loan to the group.

Yes, there is some Toronto Ownership as Bell and the Woodbridge Company (Thomson) have approx. 1/3 ownership.

So while there is some Toronto ownership, they do not hold the majority, thus would be safe to assume have more of a silent ownership in the group per se.

Of course this report is from the Toronto Sports Network, so i will assume you won’t believe it.

The timing of training camp and NHL starting must be killing some Junior clubs across Canada. Today is the Q’s trade deadline, OHL and WHL I believe are the 10th.

Many teams must be wondering do we have our studs for the run at championship or are we without. For example is Sarnia now going to make a trade to add more talent, or must they be cautious given they could lose Galchenyuk. Do feel sorry for alot of these clubs and their fans.

20. geo_habsgo says:

I really think Galchenyuk will stick with the team this season. Better to see what he is capable of. Start him on the third line and see what he can do. If he is able to get by, he will stay on the third line. If he shows flashes of excellence, move him to the top lines and see how he fares. I’d rather see this kid learn on the job then shelter him for no reason.

Eventually, I hope to see him playing on a line with MaxPac. Imagine those two working together.

21. TomNickle says:

Just curious.

Does anybody really care about the on ice results this season in terms of winning percentage and a possible playoff appearance?

Just my opinion but I really don’t care. I’m more interested in watching how Therrien handles the team, Bergevin addresses the organizational needs and how players like Galchenyuk, Subban, Eller and Diaz develop as well as whether or not Desharnais, Cole and Pacioretty can sustain their level of play(not necessarily the point production).

This season, the Cup Winner and individual awards couldn’t mean any less to me than they will over the next few months.

• Bill says:

I don’t care as much as I usually would. The ’95 season didn’t feel like a real season to me, and I suspect this one won’t either. It’s an “asterisk” season.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• TomNickle says:

Couldn’t have said it better Bill(unless you’re being sarcastic).

I don’t want to go as far as to say that a Cup victory in a shortened season is tainted but it certainly takes less to win a Cup in a shortened season than it does in a full season.

It means less to me too…..much less.

• Kooch7800 says:

I would agree Tom. I personally am not expecting much out of the current roster and a compacted schedule but there is much to pay attention to this year. With last year having so many bad years from
      Pleks, gionta, Bourque, Markov (being gone) etc plus the development of the kids like you said and new GM and coach it will be interesting to watch.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Timo says:

Good think we don’t really have to pay for that… watching how Therrien handles the team will be as enjoying as watching his predecessor do the same.

Besides, after now 20 years of watching all kind of experiments I am ready for them to just win the cup. I believe I’ve seen enough rebuilds in the past 2 decades.

• habsnyc says:

If I was foolish enough to pay money to see this team in person, I would expect them to win. But, I am much more interested in seeing if the organization acts cohesively, makes intelligent decisions and treats the on ice product with respect.

Mostly, I want to see Price play in the Worlds to see if he can help Team Canada in the Olympics. It was a shame he was injured last season and missed international competition.
      Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• Luke says:

Yes. I love watching hockey. Watching my team win is more entertaining then watching them lose or watching high-school (mostly media generated and uninformed fan speculated) drama.

• Bripro says:

I agree.
      The expectations aren’t high for this year.
      But it will indeed be entertaining to see a new approach behind the bench, with someone who does more than try to get his lips moving.

• shiram says:

Wins are fun to watch, so in that sense I care.

• habstrinifan says:

I would care if the same ‘playbook’ from JM’s system is used. I cannot stand one more game of the kind they played last year.

A refreshing and energetic style on the ice will keep me haapy regardless of the final results because I belive it is the only way for our players to develop and for our management staff to gain a true picture of the real skill/talent/compusure/dedication qualities of the players in our system.

Actually you laid out, very well, what the goals of this season should be and therefore what we fans should use to measure success.

• Gerry H says:

Count me among the minority (here, at least) who think this could be a very good season of hockey. Not sure of the Habs’ prospects, but I think the overall level of play in the playoffs could be spectacular. Usually, by the time the SCF rolls around, the players are so exhausted and carrying so many injuries that the level of play drops by at least a notch or two. This year, they should be in peak form. That alone ought to make it a fun playoff.

HIO members have been locked out far to long!
    Nice to see everyone back and at it again.

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

23. habsnyc says:

I am hopeful that the NHL begins drug testing during the playoffs and offseason. As far as I am concerned, the players might as well be hoisting a syringe instead of a cup. If athletes cheat in sports where there is testing, then clearly they cheat in sports where there is no testing.

We often hear that injuries that would sideline players in the regular season do not prevent them from suiting up in the playoffs. An obvious reason for this is that during the playoffs they can take drugs they cannot take during the regular season.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

24. Habfan10912 says:

Stubbs just tweeted that Markov played over 18 healthy minutes in his last game in the KHL. Scheduled to be in Canada Thursday.

———————————–

Love, love and love the hockey talk today! I know we are the diehards, but we have our Habs back. :)

26. jeffhabfan says:

” Were going to put a good product out on the ice for them.You do not want to miss a game this year because it is going to be high intensity and very passionate” BRANDON PRUST. I LOVE THE SOUND OF THAT.

27. Phil C says:

Rather than applying some dogma about never bringing young players into the NHL, I think you have to look at each case individually. The only relevant question is whether or not Galchenyuk would benefit from staying in Junior for one or two more years or coming to the NHL right away.

He is already dominating at the Junior level, so I think there is some concern that he his development could stagnate without tougher competition. The AHL is not an option, so it’s NHL or Junior for two more seasons. If he is able to play at the NHL level and get meaningful minutes, he may be better off in the the long run in the NHL right away, as is the case with many of the elite NHL talents.

I would like to see Tinordi and Beaulieu get at least this season in Hamilton as they continue to improve and develop nicely. But I would not object to Galchenyuk starting with the Habs if he is good enough at training camp.

• Hobie Hansen says:

There’s nothing wrong with a team attempting to try and work a 3rd overall pick into their lineup.

• ed lopaz says:

Hobie, you could add the following:

1) team was 28th last season

2) team lacks scoring and needs a 2nd line left winger

3) Galchenyuk is a special young man, extremely talented yes, but also has an off the charts work ethic.

He will get his try out and he will get his chance to PROVE that he belongs.

That is exactly the correct way to handle this.

• TomNickle says:

I would bring him on even if he doesn’t belong Ed.

Who’s he most comparable to over the last ten years? Steven Stamkos. He wasn’t ready in his first year and got the cobwebs out of his head during that first half season.

A 48 game stint with the big club would be perfect heading into next season.

• Ian Cobb says:

There is a huge difference between junior and pro Phil.
      Can you remember where your head was when you first started in the work force at 19 or 20 years old. You thought you knew everything but was very surprised how little you knew for a few years, RIGHT!
      These very large bodies look like pro players, but between the ears, they are only 20 year old kids with a ton of learning ahead my friend.

• nunacanadien says:

Keep all rookies in the bulldogs and elsewhere, don’t bring them up until the Habs sign real players. As if a Gomez or a Gionta is gonna protect a Galy type player. No they’ll let them fall flat on their faces to protect their own butts.

Until Geoff Molson signs real NHL players and stops standing behind midgets like Gomez, keep the prospects down there until they are physically ready to come up. But thanks to Trevor Timmins and his strict directions from the Toronto based owners of the habs, sign small think small lose big…..

• rhino514 says:

Why would it have to be junior for TWO more years?

28. Blondie says:

Man, I can’t keep up with the conversations. Every time I refresh the page there’s like 100 new comments. Don’t you guys have any work to do?

29. derfab says:

If it were a real season, I would say clean house and go with the kids. Gallagher over Gomez or White or Armstrong , Beaulieu over Kaberle and Diaz or Weber…as is, allow the vets to show their grit and or value as trade bait (picks). Next year room needs to be made for talent.

• Cal says:

Gallagher isn’t dominating in the AHL. Beaulieu is having trouble adjusting to the speed of the game. Rushing players in when they aren’t ready won’t do anything for their confidence. They have to be given time to get better. Doing well against juniors doesn’t mean they can play against men.

• rhino514 says:

Gallagher´s stats on a good team would be alot higher. He is making a case, especially with LL not healthy. Beaulieu I agree is nowhere near NHL yet.

• derfab says:

I disagree. That is the Habs management line. Both were ready last year. Both would be amongst the fastest Habs but are being held back for contract reasons (to delay rfa status) more than anything else. Bulldogs are weak at center and lack toughness which forces teams and skilled guys to play trap style, defensive hockey.

• Ian Cobb says:

Bulldogs are weak because they are kids playing mostly NHL players. After this week you will see that this young team has developed well, playing these seasoned players that are being called back to their big club.

• Kooch7800 says:

Beaulieu really struggled at the start of the season but he has looked fantastic lately. His puck movement is great and on the PP he is a great QB. I think he will be in the habs line up sooner than you think. I would say within in the next year or so.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

30. HabsFanMTL says:

the habs have invited Mike Commodore to camp. now i’m not saying this is the best news out of camp but he is a 6’4 227lb defenceman that we do lack as far as size is concerned and grit cause he does drop the gloves. Lets hope he impresses enuf to stay with us

• Kooch7800 says:

Way too slow. Unfortuantely, he has really lost a step in the last couple years. Don’t expect him to make the habs

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• derfab says:

He must be doing OK in a limited leadership role to get the call. Little talent or agility but nasty….perhaps the old “every team needs one” type of guy for 48 games. Even better, maybe he’ll break a Gomez or Kaberle ankle if either shows up for scrimmage.

• Newf_Habster says:

I would love to see him in Habs lineup. Also he is real good in keeping opponents away from Price in net and penalty-killing.

• frontenac1 says:

Good for Mike! Saw an interview with him recently on RDS. Great attitude,realistic. Trying his best at a come back. He”s a pretty funny guy too. Good Luck Mike!

31. Fox says:

I heard a rumor that the Habs picked up Rocco Grimaldi from Florida for Brendan Nash. Can anyone confirm?

• commandant says:

1) No trades can be done at the NHL level.
      2) Dale Tallon isn’t stupid

Montreal made an AHL loan of Nash to Florida’s farm team and got back Jason DeSantis on an AHL loan.

While their AHL teams have changed, Nash is still Montreal property and DeSantis still florida property.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Fox says:

Thanks, enjoy your reports, keep up the great work!!!

• nunacanadien says:

When Bergevin said he would keep Gomez that kind of lets us know that Toronto owns Montreal, or rather Toronto based owners are sabotaging the habs. I thought the NHL had a clause where it was illegal for another town to sabotage another town’s team. Maybe it’s time the NHL Board of Governors look at this sad tale of Montreal where a group of Toronto based investors are basically destorying the habs and have done so for the past while. Maybe it is time this be included as a very serious discussion here. It is not a conspiracy theory. You only need to look at who actually owns the habs on paper and who they report to as joint venture partners, as the habs were created not as a hockey team under this new management group but as an entertainment group just like the MLSE group and in fact when the Maple Leafs were sold out, that group and the investment group for Montreal had to divulge and share their interests. So much so many had to sell out their percentage but it was interesting to note even after Molson (Coors Toronto) bought out a share of the MLSE portion (Maple Leafs Sports Entertainment) that he still retained this ownership group largely based in Toronto.

So it is interesting that they state they will not exercise their option to buy out Gomez.

• punkster says:

Or not.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Cal says:

And there I was thinking it was a little early to be sniffing glue.

• nunacanadien says:

Hey you bastards who think they know everything, look at the trail of owners and who actually owns the habs on paper then stop sniffing that glue and wake up! Shame on you Montreal for letting Geoff Molson sell out to a group of Toronto based owners.

• rhino514 says:

Isn´t the buy out option for AFTER this season?

• Ron says:

This is another of your clip and paste from another topic page from awhile back. Try and get origional if, big if, you can.

• Mustang says:

nunac has brought up this topic about Toronto owning the Habs a few times. My understanding is that Geoff Molson (not Molson Coors) plus other individual investors own the Montreal Canadiens. Is there anything to his “Toronto” connection or is this guy just nuts?

As far as Gomez being bought out, for the $#@^%&$ time, this will not happen until after this season is finished. GET OVER IT.

• habsnyc says:

BCE owns a stake in both the Habs and Leafs. David Thompson, through True North, has a 50% stake in the Jets. I believe he is also a shareholder in Woodbridgre which has a minority stake in the Canadiens.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• Newf_Habster says:

Where did you hear from?

32. commandant says:

Alex Kovalev has a tryout with the Florida Panthers.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

Steve! your right.
    These kids must do their time in the A first!

It is imperative to develop our kids into top professionals before bringing them up to learn under fire.

This nonsense of bringing them up early without putting in their dues in the A, has destroyed nearly every prospect that we have had over many years.
    Finally! we have a G.M. that knows this importance!

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

• commandant says:

Max Pacioretty wasn’t “destroyed” by bringing him up too soon.

For all the lamenting on Latendresse, the guy scored 27 goals in Minnesota…. he wasn’t “destroyed” either.

Carey Price wasn’t “destroyed” either.

Neither was PK Subban.

Yes, all these players started out great, had growing pains, and then came back stronger…. but that isn’t destruction, thats development.

You can only treat a player with kid gloves for so long before you bring them up. If they are ready, they stay… if they aren’t ready then they go back down. These are men, you don’t have to treat them like children and be afraid of shattering confidence or something silly like that.

Lets face it… every NHL player from Sidney Crosby to Tom Kostopolous will have a slump in their NHL career. Whether that slump comes at 18 or 20 or 22, its gonna happen. There is a day they will lose confidence. If this shatters them, and they can’t recover from it and still be an NHL player afterwards, then they are too weak mentally to be an NHLer.

You have to deal with adversity at some point in your career. Sheltering adults from adversity when their skills are NHL caliber doesn’t do anybody any good. A player will still be a player, and a bust will still be a bust. It will just happen later the more you shelter them.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Old Bald Bird says:

Where is that +1 icon?

• Ian Cobb says:

The NHL is not a development league. The A is designed to do that.
        There is a lot more to becoming a pro than just on the ice my friend.
        And anyway, PK had me to guide him here in Belleville!!!

• veryhabby says:

Commandant… Pac, Pk, even Price did some AHL time so I wouldn’t put them in the “brought them up too quickly” gang. now Lat was brought up too quickly as he jumped from CHL to NHL.

But my view on this whole “bringing up too quickly” is this….you can’t ruin a kid. All that happens is instead of them developing out of sight in the AHL, you will as a fan see them develop in the NHL. We all know Pac’s first call ups. He wasn’t the force he was last year. In my view if he had been called up and stayed the whole time with the habs (instead of him playing in the A) I still think that until last year we would not have seen what we have seen from him. In other words, if it takes a prospect 2-4 yrs after draft to be AN IMPACT on the NHL team….then it will take him 2-4 yrs no matter if that time is spent in the AHL or NHL. I don’t think they develop faster to their NHL potential if they go one route over the other. They will get to their potential no matter what.

The problem though in bringing them up fast, is their maturity. Some, maybe like Lat, can’t handle the fame at the start. It interferes with them being real pros. The other problem is of course if management was mistaken and the prospect DOES NOT have NHL abilities yet. Of course it won’t be a good experience for the kid and off to the AHL they go. Some take time to adjust to being demoted.

At the end I don’t think you can hurt or improve a kid by going either way in the development. My though with Gal is that if we have a full roster, why bother. There is no room for him right now. But if the team feels he is better then Bourque, Eller, LL, Armstrong, Prust, Gionta (guys who will prob be on 2-3 lines for habs) then keep him. But if he isn’t going to help more any of those guys this season…..keep him where he is.

• Phil C says:

Latendresse is the best example of damaging a player’s development by bringing him up too soon. He turned out okay in the end, but it ended badly for the Habs. They really had no choice but to trade him, wasting an asset with great potential.

• ed lopaz says:

after disagreeing with almost every post you made concerning the lockout, I am proud to say that I am back in the Commandant’s fan club.

this is an excellent post.

• 24 Cups says:

Ed -Commandant and I agree to disagree on the issue of development. It’s no big deal. As for my point about Galchenyuk let me state it again – this kid has only played one year of junior. (Or 1.5 if that makes a difference to the debate) I just checked – no other high end draft pick since 2005 has made the jump directly to the NHL without having lalyed two years of junior (although I thought there was one). Some players even had three years of junior.

Fact check: Subban had four years of junior plus one in the AHL. Price had four years of junior plus his AHL playoff run.

Lats – 3 years of junior plus a swollen ego.

MaxPac – You’re right on that one. I still think he was rushed before his time as it took him two more trips to Hamilton before he broke through. However, he has certainly made the grade.

• Ron says:

Gee Ed, dosen’t take much to sway you. :D

• nunacanadien says:

For Montreal like any pro hockey team, our rookies are not very well supported because we don’t have big players to protect them. This is why in Montreal we say we destroy a rookie, cause they come up to a team of midgets, washups and lazy players who don’t want to crash the net or defend the team’s name and who allow other teams to basically push Montreal around.

Posted this down below, reposting as I think very significant. GM’s can now start trading some salaries in trades. In other words Habs could trade Scott Gomez and eat part of his salary and cap hit. This appears to be a clause which Brian Burke has asked for, for quite some time. Should be a bit of a helping aid to the wealthier teams.

There are a number of other details in this article of interest.

• Bripro says:

I can imagine them all lining up to see if Gomez is available.

• Habfan10912 says:

But wouldn’t it make more sense to just buy him out this coming summer? Molson will have to write a check but cap space gets freed up.

———————————–

@Bripro/Jim, I was merely providing Gomez as an example. Obviously we wouldn’t trade him as he is in great shape and will be comeback player of the year. Rather we could use this new rule to help trade Price to St. Louis for Halak and eat half of Price’s contract. This sounds more reasonable. :)

• habstrinifan says:

Replied below HabinBurlington and will do so here too. I agree with you re the confidence. And it is one more time where I stifled my questioning but maybe shouldnt have. I thought this proviso would light up the board. It will have so much impact.

I see that the Habs fresh start with a new development program has quickly come to an end. Bring up Gallagher before he’s ready, have Galchenyuk skip his 2nd year of junior, promote Tinordi after just 30 games as a pro and dump Diaz and Weber.

The team has a choice here – follow the road of the Red Wings or go down the reckless path of the Islanders. Any true rebuild starts with a few years of real pain. I’d much rather suffer through that than repeat the team’s last wasted 20 years of trying to finish 8th and then hope for a miracle.

• Cal says:

Dumping Diaz and Weber or tading them for 1 stay at home Dman who can clear the net would be a good thing. Both are too small to play unless it is strictly on the PP. Watching Diaz avoid going into the corners from December on was painful. Watching Weber do nothing but hack and slash at players’ backs was painful to watch, as well. Some will argue that their size doesn’t matter, but it does. They play as small as they are, unlike Boullion.

• frontenac1 says:

Amen Amigo!

• Ron says:

As long as we get a decent clear the net type D-man ( with abit of size ) I agree at cutting the strings to Weber and Diaz. Of the two, I would keep Diaz if it boiled down too only being able to dump one.

• commandant says:

I think you need both type of dmen (crease clearers and puck movers). Too much of one and not enough of the other is always a problem.

For that reason, I’d replace one of Weber and Diaz, but pulling a 180 and getting rid of both to bring in defensive D just creates a similar (but opposite) problem on the blueline.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Ron says:

Thats why I mentioned possibly keeping Diaz. At this juncture of the not yet started season, I think it almost impossible to trade off both. Who knows maybe Diaz would be the one that gets any interest from other clubs. In the end IMO, I still would like to see both moved.

• Cal says:

Markov, Kaberle and Subban are puck movers. Emelin, Boullion + 1 more crease clearer is needed. Weber and Diaz are expendable, even if there are injuries. Surely, there is 1 free agent Dman out there that won’t cost the farm.

• commandant says:

Cal you are right that Kaberle, Markov, and Subban are the puck movers….

But in the case of Kaberle and Markov, they aren’t getting any younger, will need to be replaced eventually, one could be bought out in the summer or traded at the deadline, and just basically they aren’t long term solutions…. where as Diaz or Weber could be the 7th D this year, and in the top 6 going forward.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Phil C says:

A team needs puck movers as well. A team of stay-at-home defensemen with size is just as bad or worse than what they have now. I would keep Diaz, but I do agree that they could really use one defensemen as you describe who can play meaningful minutes. Maybe Emelin can be that guy this year, assuming he doesn’t turtle every time there is rough play.

• frontenac1 says:

We”ve got enough puck movers. We have Zero Nasty. No forward in the league is afraid to go into Carey”s paint. Until that problem is fixed, prepare for more third period clusterf#cks.

• 24 Cups says:

Cal – I have no problem with bringing in a stay at home Dman. That need should have been addressed last summer. I’m just saying that I doubt Tinordi is ready and we shouldn’t put him in a spot he can’t handle just because the present team is so weak.

• Carta-Hab says:

Unless I am missing something, I don’t see how anything you just mentioned comes to pass the way you are saying it will. The only prospect that has a chance on being on the opening night roster is Alex Galchenyuk. Even then, I think it is a long shot. Gallagher will be invited to camp I think but he will not be on the team. There simply are no openings so unless he plays someone else out of a job, he is going back to the AHL.

As for Tinordi, etc, it is possible through this shortened season we may have injuries, forcing the team to recall some defenceman. That being said, what is the problem with that? if Tinordi is seen as the best prospect to help fill a hole temporarily because of an injury, why not? I think you may be jumping the gun here a bit. Lets just see how it plays out.

Mike Milbury, Don Cherry, and PJ Stock….The three stooges of HNIC.

• commandant says:

Quick, name one quality prospect that the Wings have drafted, developped and is now a star in the NHL since Johan Franzen (2004 draft). One top 6 player, or top 4 defenceman drafted and developped after 2004?

Lets not put the wings on a pedestal because of what they did a decade ago.

And lets also remember the last time the Wings had 18 year old prospects with the talent of a Galchenyuk at that age, they didn’t hold them back. Of course they haven’t picked high recently and these guys are long retired. Simply comparing Galchenyuk to anything the Wings have had in 20 years is not a fair comparison.

This isn’t the 20th overall pick we’re promoting at 18, or 30th.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

Ben, I was just having some fun with you down below about the blame. I will say this however, I don’t blame the NHL for wanting to make sure all aspects of the CBA are finalized before opening camp. Don Fehr did not rise to where he is by ever missing a detail. He has proven over the years to be able to squeeze every last minute detail out of his CBA negotiations. This isn’t to say that is a bad thing, but the owners have every right to be cautious.

• commandant says:

Sure they do…. but lets be clear on who is being cautious here.

“There is a BIG lack of trust on the players’ side. We’ll see today and tomorrow how this plays out, but the lack of speed on just about every aspect of these negotiations is not surprising.”

My whole point to Cal is that there is NOTHING the players can do to open camps. That is 100% the owners decision to decide on the day they end the lockout and open camps. The PA has not delayed anything with respect to the process of getting the league back and started.

The league has work to do now… open camps… make a schedule… figure out what networks get what games… sell tickets… etc… Those are all league functions, that really could be happening right now (and some like the schedule and networks, I’m assuming are happening behind the scenes).

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Bripro says:

I don’t think it’ll be a problem with the Canadiens.
            The players will have their last practice in Candiac this morning.
            They’ve been told by the organization that the Bell practice facility will be available to them starting tomorrow, even if the coaches can’t be there until this thing is ratified.
            I see that as a peace offering.

• wjc says:

The delay is the “CBA” has to ratified. It is up to the players to ratifiy the contract with a thumbs up.

But, you knew what the delay was, not owners being cautious.

wjc

• 24 Cups says:

I never compared Galchenyuk’s development to the Wings. I was just saying that there appear to be two distinct ways to develop young talent.

Tinordi – It’s pretty well a given that overly tall Dmen need more time to develop and adjust.

Gallagher – RW is a depth position for the team so why not let Gallagher take a year or two to climatize himself to the pro game.He needs every advantage he can get to overcome his lack of size.

Galchenyuk – Plain and simple. Not many junior top picks jump right into the NHL after just one year of junior. I have no doubt that he would shine right out of the gate playing against pros who have been sitting around for 8 months. But then he might well hit the wall at some point down the road. How will Therrien react? Why burn a year of UFA for just a shortened season with a team that’s not very good?

• commandant says:

Galchenyuk hasn’t played just “1 year of Junior”

Remember this isn’t September…. he now has 1.5 years of junior under his belt, which is a significant change.

That 1 year of junior argument and him being injured and rusty might have been an issue in September, but I see it as far less of an issue today. One advantage of the lockout.

As for burning a year of the ELC, when it comes to a potential superstar… I don’t care. I want the player playing at the highest possible level where he is a productive member of the team. That is what is best for development. To play against the best possible players that you are capable of keeping up with.

I think if Alex is capable, he should play in the NHL now, we’ll have him reach his potential sooner. Signing his second contract is a bridge we’ll cross when it is necessary.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Chris says:

I guess this is my question…will he actually be playing at the highest possible level? Or will he be getting third- or even fourth-line minutes as he adjusts to the work ethic, speed and strength of NHL players.

Galchenyuk is getting great ice time in Sarnia this season and he’s been called upon in various facets. But what Galchenyuk has never actually done is gone on a run in the playoffs.

Montreal isn’t going to make the playoffs, in all likelihood. But Sarnia looks poised to have at least one round on home ice, and they’ve been improving all season long.

I think Galchenyuk could easily come up and play, but I’m still on the fence as to what the best possible situation is for him.

The other guys shouldn’t be anywhere near the NHL for 1 or even 2 years.

• Chris says:

Let’s be honest…Gallagher and Tinordi aren’t likely to be NHL stars either.

The Wings were very patient in developing their role players (Ericsson, Helm, Abdelkader, Filppula, Hudler, Kindl, Kronwall) and have continued to be very patient with kids like Tomas Tatar, Landon Ferraro, Gustav Nyquist and Brendan Smith.

Galchenyuk is a special case in that he is a top-3 draft pick and those guys usually get a long look. But I don’t think Steve is too far off celebrating the Detroit model when discussing lesser lights with longer learning curves.

• rhino514 says:

In principle I agree with you. But guys that go in the top three of the draft quite often can come in and have an impact in their first year; didn´t most of the oilers top three picks come up in the first year and do well?
      As for Gallagher i was pondering simply bringing him up while Leblanc finds his game, but i sincerely think he would, at the same time, not discredit himself on the big club for a few games and even contribute quite well.

• Luke says:

Whoa… how has this come to an end? As far as I am aware the Habs have not called up Gallagher or promoted Tinordi. They haven’t Dumped Diaz or Weber. They’ve indicated Galchenyuk will be invited to camp, but nothing more.

Can we let them make the decision before we crucify them for it?

• 24 Cups says:

Luke – I was just replying to some of the comments from below, not anything that the team has or will do. It also stirs the pot a bit.

Rhino – Comparisons to other top picks differs in that Galchenyuk only has one year of junior under his belt. Almost without exception the rest have had two. There was one player but I can’t remember who he was.

• rhino514 says:

As far as the old argument of not wasting a young talent in a year where the pro club isn´t ver good anyway, can´t one argue the oppsoite just as strongly? Was Leblanc “wasted” last year because he had to play over a half a season with the habs? Can´t one argue that the experience of last year will help him make a much faster adjustment this year, since he already got so many games under his belt?
        I think the question of wether to promote a young player to the NHL is largely one of maturity and should be looked at on a case by case basis.
        There are players with talent who are still immature at 25 (Pouliot comes to mind), by that token I am sure there are players at 20, maybe even a few at 19, who uncommonly mature for their age and able to join the pro game quickly. A ton of kids in the eighties came in at eighteen and nineteen and went on to have long, productive careers; many even became stars.

• 24 Cups says:

Your point on a “case by case” evaluation is well taken.

As for Leblanc, I feel he is a prime example of a player who’s development has not been handled properly. Having said that, sustaining a high ankle sprain is an open invitation to losing a year of development.

• rhino514 says:

Someone mentioned earler that they had seen him play recently and he that he was starting to look good. It would indeed be a pity if as you say he loses a year of development; he´s a bubble player as it is, but i find myself pulling for him.

• Bripro says:

Luke. I like your approach of calmer heads prevailing.

Today is Elvis’ birthday. The King is gone but not forgotten (Please, no snide replies. Show some respect for a legend).

• Habfan29 says:

there will never be another……

• Habfan10912 says:

Steve- I was reading the book, 24 hours inside the Presidential Bunker 9-11 by Major Darling. Major Darling was telling a story about flying the Presidents helicopter for Clinton. The protocal was very rigid where the flight crew only was allowed to say good morning or similar greeting. In return the President would just return the greeting. No conversation occurred between the parties. On one such flight in Memphis President Clinton got on the intercom and thanked Major Darling for giving him a view of Elvis’ home. “I’ve.never seen the Kings home from this angle before. Thank you so much Major.”
      With that said Darling and his crew looked to their side and enjoyed the view of Elvis’ home.
      Happy Birthday Elvis.
      ———————————–

Inside view of the negotiations and how they settled! Beware of rough language please!
    Ian

38. Habfan29 says:

Heard Darren Dreger on TSN 690 this morning saying that Subban wants Drew Doughty money $7 million over 8 years! Do we give it to him or not? I say no way and let him sit at home, he is not worth that yet. Opinions????

• Cal says:

I’d take that Drager opinion with a grain of salt. The Habs will not give him anything longer than 2 seasons yet. Next contract will be another story if he produces.

• Chris says:

I doubt they expect to get $7 million per year over 8 years, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they think Subban is worth $5-6 million over 3-4 years and are asking for a big contract to leave themselves negotiating room.

And that is why he isn’t signed. It has nothing to do with Bergevin “slapping Subban in the face” by signing other guys (Pacioretty, Eller, and Price) first. It has everything to do with a historically cautious franchise being unwilling to give a huge contract to a guy who hasn’t actually earned one yet.

If I were Don Meehan, I would be careful drawing too many comparisons between Doughty and Subban, although Montreal fans are equally guilty of that particular sin. Doughty is just simply a better defencemen in all aspects of the game than Subban is.

More importantly, the drop-off in Doughty’s game after he got that huge contract isn’t lost upon the other teams in the NHL. Doughty was not the same player during the regular season and was a bit of a lightning rod for criticism for the Kings’ rough start (which eventually resulted in their coach’s dismissal), although he rediscovered his mojo in time for the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Doughty had earned a second team All-Star berth, played for Canada’s national team and finished as a finalist for the Norris Trophy when he got his money. Subban, by comparison, is still somewhat undecorated despite being six months older than Doughty.

I support this post 100%.

• Kooch7800 says:

Well put Chris. Doughty then has also helped LA win a cup last year after his contract.

I think what Meehan is also forgetting is that Subban played a lot of minutes on a 28th place team…..it does make a difference.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out. If Meehan goes to crazy Subban will be traded

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• NL Hab says:

I think that Drew Doughty is a great defencemen and he did have an off year last year. To compare him and Subban is a bit unfair. I think Doughty is the complete package and will have 4 or 5 Norris trophies before his career is over.
        Subban, although very similar to Doughty, is just not as good as him. Subban has all the tools to become a very good defencemen in this league, however, he should not compare himself to Doughty or ask for $7M/year.
        He is a lot more comparable to a Del Zotto or Carlson (Signed for $4M/year).
        I have heard other people on here talk about trading him if he is after that kind of money. It is only a rumor that he is after that money, and I don’t think there is any team in this league that would pay him more than 5 per year. Especially with this new salary cap. Molson hired Bergevin for exactly this reason, and hopefully Meehan has not completely lost his marbles. Subban is not going to sit out this year, and if he has to play for a 1 year deal, then that is what they will do and discuss an extension this summer.
        God I love talking about the Habs. Lets get this season going boys. Bleu blanc et rouge all the way baby.

Et Le But

• 24 Cups says:

Well said, Chris. The Habs need to give Subban a fair “bridge” contract of two years and then revisit the situation.

• Habfan10912 says:

It was so long ago I might be mistaken but didn’t PK’s agent deny this or a similar rumor over the summer?

———————————–

Perhaps the Fightin’ Irish of Notre Dame owe Brent Musberger a big thanks. Instead of all the Sports Talking Heads mentioning how outplayed the Irish were, they are all more interested in Miss Alabama and the ogling Brent did over her and her mother. :)

40. RetroMikey says:

Love Brandon’s comment saying “they stood behind us and they stuck this out. We hope they come back.” The question I would ask him and other NHL players is “why do you want the fans to really come back? Is it just all dollars and cents to you guys”?
    Love to hear their responses to this question.
    Maybe Stubbs or Boone can ask this question to some of our players.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• wjc says:

Yes, yes it is about dollars and cents. Of course we love the fans and their wallets, we love the fans and their willingness to spend.

Fans stood behind the players, the players stood behind Donald, and Donald stood behind the potium.

This is NOT about money, it is about….the love of the g g ha ha ha hee, hee…..shoot couldn’t keep a straight face.

wjc

41. Old Bald Bird says:

I am so used to skipping the fantasy and olden-days articles that I almost forgot to read this one.

In other news, I see that it didn’t take long for some of the wackier amongst us (perhaps me included although I am here reading all along) to come out of the woodwork. Naturally, I mention no names.

42. rhino514 says:

Does anyone know why Ryan White wasn´t able to play with the bulldogs during the lockout? With the added depth this season it would have really helped to gage if he has progressed and can stick on the team.

43. JF says:

RDS is reporting in a vague sort of way that, while there is no danger anticipated that the new CBA will not go through, there may be some delay in drawing up all the documents and getting things ratified. The season is still expected to start on 19 Jan., but it is uncertain when training camps will begin. Surely if there is no risk of everything falling to the ground, they could start training camps as soon as the players can get there. The sooner training camps start, the better the start of the season will be, and the less likely it becomes that there will be a rash of injuries right from the get go. I don’t see why they couldn’t waive the formalities.

Presumably any delay also means that the Habs and other teams will have to wait before signing their restricted free agents, which makes it very possible it won’t be done in time for training camp.

In fact, I don’t see why the League couldn’t simply proceed on the basis of the agreement in principle. I believe that this was done in 1995, with the final agreement not being ratified until the off-season. If the League believes they owe the fans anything, that’s one thing they could give us right away – an immediate start with no bureaucratic delays.

• Cal says:

• commandant says:

The players were willing to start with no agreement in place in September.

This is still an owner initiated lockout.

This is still a situation where the owners have the power to open training camps or not.

If anything is delaying the opening of training camp, its an owner’s decision. You don’t need a ratified CBA to open camps… you could have lifted the lockout and opened camps at any time.

Its the owners who are lacking trust to lift their lockout.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

I’m glad we have been able to establish blame, this is the most important and critical stage to start the healing. :)

• Gerald; My favorite in all of this is that the players accepted a deal that was offered to them in Sept. Way to hold out boys :lol: Don’t mess with management, this time they got it right. Actually the players are still getting too much revenue, considering only two or three players actually sell the game on each team. We all watch the logo on front, and not the name on the back.

They Call Me Shane
            “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
            Shane Oliver
            Twitter @Sholi2000
            Custom Sports Figures

• commandant says:

Burly… it is what it is.

The league is locked out right now. There is one side and one side only with the power to lift that lockout.

Whether we like it or not, thats a fact. The owners could lift the lockout with a simple BOG conference call and vote at any time… and start training camps while the lawyers do the paper work.

The NFL didn’t take a week to open camps when their lockout ended, they opened almost immediately. Why the NHL is delaying? I don’t know.

But the delay here is clearly on one side… the only side with the power to delay is the owners as this is a lockout, not a strike.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Chris says:

The CBA that the players agreed to is not particularly close to the one the owners proposed in September.

The only similarity was the 50/50 split in revenues, which the players DID agree to back in September.

• Cal says:

Until the CBA has been signed after every clause has been double-checked, I wouldn’t trust this deal at all.

• Cal says:

Only fools like Bud Selig would have allowed a season to start without a labour agreement in place.

• commandant says:

Why not call their bluff then? Sign a one-year temporary agreement… play hockey and negotiate a long term agreement in the meantime.

Did the league even attempt to explore the option?

Why not? Because this was never about the fear of a players strike. This was always about using the players missed paycheques as a form of leverage.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Cal says:

@commandant-

The owners weren’t willing to keep operating with the 57-43 split that favoured the players. That is why there were no bandaids.

• RetroMikey says:

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• wjc says:

Lets ignore: Starting negotiations sooner, lets ignore, CBA in players favor. Lets ignore the fact that players had “strike option” perhaps at a later date.

Lets ignore: Fehr slow negotiating tactics.

The stalemate could have been ended by players at anytime also.

Ignore other obvious arguments is a great style. If you are a lawyer maybe stick to divorces or Real estate.

wjc

• wjc says:

The players have to have it explained to them, so you are lucky that the season is starting at all.

Process….explain…explain…draw pictures…explain again, explain some more….vote….count vote….RATIFIED!

wjc

• Propwash says:

I believe teams have to stay in lockout mode until the new CBA is ratified.

_____________________________
      “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
      Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

• Phil C says:

I wonder if this will happen after the NHL BoG meeting? I can’t imagine it happening before all the owners get together and give such authority. The lawyers will have had two days to pour over the documents, so I can’t see why the can’t give the green light after the owners meet.