Habs players return to Brossard Wednesday

rinkweb

The Canadiens players will move their practice location from Candiac to the club’s practice facility on Wednesday, the same day NHL owners will cast ballots at a Board of Governors meeting in New York on the tentative new collective bargaining agreement. The players are expected to vote electronically on Thursday and Friday.

In Brossard, Canadiens players will be allowed to use the ice, gym and other facilities, but will not have access to coaches and training staff until the new CBA is ratified.

Training camps are expected to open Sunday and the league is planning a 48-game season to start on Jan. 19. Read more by clicking here.

Renaud Lavoie of RDS reported on Twitter Tuesday night that the Habs will open the season on Saturday, Jan. 19 at home against the Toronto Maple Leafs. Not a bad way to start things off.

With the start of the season coming up quickly, Craig Wong of The Canadian Press wonders if sponsors will put the NHL in the penalty box as a result of the lockout. Read that story by clicking here.

One of the Canadiens who skated in Candiac on Tuesday was Colby Armstrong, who signed with the club as a free agent during the summer after playing with the Leafs. His favourite team while growing up in Saskatoon was the Canadiens and one of the reasons he signed in Montreal is new coach Michel Therrien, who coached Armstrong in Wilkes-Barre in the AHL and later with the Pittsburgh Penguins.

“Obviously I’m familiar with him,” Armstrong told The Gazette’s Pat Hickey. “I don’t know if it’s an advantage, but we’ll see what sort of tweaks he’s made on his systems over the past few years. Everyone is starting fresh with a new coach. Me and Frankie Bouillon are the only ones who have had him in the past, but I think he knows how everyone plays.

“He was great,” Armstrong added. “I had him in the minors for three years and in Pittsburgh for almost three years. I learned a lot from him about how to play consistently and what it takes to get to the NHL. He pushed me when I needed to be pushed. I think my play was good for his style of coaching.”

You can read Hickey’s article on Armstrong by clicking here.

Another player who skated in Candiac Tuesday was Penguins defenceman Kris Letang. He flew to Russia last week with the intention of joining Ak Bars Kazan of the KHL, but the lockout was settled before he could play a game.

“I got as far as St. Petersburg and the people were nice and I had a four-day vacation,” Letang said.

Speaking of Russia, Alex Ovechkin made a quick return from his home country once he heard the lockout was settled and joined nine other Capitals on the ice Tuesday in Arlington, Va. He also joked with the media about his recent engagement to tennis player Maria Kirilenko, wearing a T-shirt that read, in Russian: “Am I really the prettiest one here, again?”

Read more by clicking here.

On a terribly sad note, HIO sends its condolences to former Canadien Dominic Moore and his family after his wife, Katie, died from liver cancer on Monday. She was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer in April. Moore finished last season with the San Jose Sharks. Read more by clicking here.

(Photo by Dave Sidaway/The Gazette)

1. commandant says:

Lets start a McGuire for Leafs GM campaign. Or John Ferguson Jr.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

2. Carta-Hab says:

My oh my…this is out of left field. Gotta admit, VERY curious on the details of his firing.

3. Cal says:

Looks like even the rumour of the Luongo deal was enough for the owners to turf him. Good on them. Looks like Vancouver will have to keep looking for a sucker.

4. Habs64 says:

He will replace Bettman as NHL commish.

5. christophor says:

Further to what I said below, if Rick Dudley ends up back in Toronto, that means something since the summer triggered Burke’s firing: something he did just now, during the lockout, (edit:) or during free agency.

edit: i.e. It would suggest that it wasn’t just about how bad he’s done in general since taking the job, but that there was some important event.

6. Saintpatrick33 says:

Everyime Burke smiles a kitten dies

7. Hobie Hansen says:

Leafs owners were probably tired of the headaches he caused and didn’t think he was the guy to rebuild the team with all of their cap space opening up over the next couple of seasons.

Whoever suggested it – brilliant!

Gainey for the GM and Jacques Martin for coach.

Pierre MacGuire for Leafs GM, he deserves a chance!

• habsfan0 says:

Here! Here! Either Gauthier, or if he’s tossed out of office shortly, perhaps Toronto Mayor Rob Ford can be Leafs GM.

• Bripro says:

I like Pierre MacGuire.
      Wouldn’t that be something if your wish came true, and his knowledge helps the Laffs to the point where they make the playoffs and eliminate us from contention on the last day of the regular season…

• Hobie Hansen says:

You might be onto something there. I’m sure MacGuire is dusting off his resume again. He might want to get someone to proof read it because he hasn’t been to successful.

10. Habs64 says:

he will not appear on 24/7 :((

It’s all over TSN website now – Burke’s fired.

12. christophor says:

Rick Dudley’s stay in Montreal might be very short lived.

13. TomNickle says:

I wonder if his firing has anything to do with Justin Schultz.

Rumour had it that he was poaching him while still in College and they’d already been hit with a tampering fine. I suppose it would be a pretty big surprise if he were fired over another fine for tampering. Maybe the Leafs got hit really hard. Could be a second part of the story coming.

• krob1000 says:

Probably more to do with him asking new ownership group to make a big deal for Luongo….right after he asked for the money to buy out Komisarek with Kessel standing beside him eating 3 Burkie dogs.

• Habs64 says:

maybe plus new owners always make changes but shocked it wasn’t

done during lockout for new GM to get feet wet.

14. Saintpatrick33 says:

That’s a shame hit the bricks you overrated soulpuss. TSN is having an orgasm right now.

15. Say Ash says:

A dark day for truculence…

16. habsfan0 says:

I wonder why they waited until the eve of the CBA ratification vote to make this move.

17. otter649 says:

So does The Bourkie Hot Dog get removed from The ACC…….lol

18. PrimeTime says:

How can God be fired??

19. Habs64 says:

@TSNBobMcKenzie
    Toronto Maple Leafs have apparently fired Brian Burke as general manager. Working on official confirmations.
    lmao

20. Hobie Hansen says:

Cherry 1 Burke 0

21. otter649 says:

Good for The Leafs – Bourke was one of the most over rated GMs in recent times…….

22. Psycho29 says:

The Leafs fire Brian Burke and have asked Chicago for permission to speak with Pierre Gauthier.

Ok I made that last part up ;-)

23. jols101 says:

Brutal, now the Leafs have a chance of making the playoffs in the next 10 years…

24. Ron says:

Hockey Central at Noon is saying that Burkie has been fired from the Laffs. WOW nobody has confirmed yet WOW

25. TomNickle says:

WOW. BRIAN BURKE FIRED

26. Mike D says:

Just rumour at the moment, but speculation is that Burke was just fired. Sportsnet’s HC @ Noon is the source and it’s all over Twitter.

- Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

27. Carta-Hab says:

Just checked TSN….Scott Cullen has Alex Galchenyuk scoring 26 points in 44 games (11 goals, 15 assists)

28. Habfan10912 says:

USA coach chimes in on Gally as a 4th liner.

29. Bripro says:

This site had gone from HIO to OARU.
    “Over-analysing-are-us”.
    The CBA isn’t ratified.
    Some of the players aren’t back.
    We have no idea how the PK contract negotiations have gone or will proceed once MB and Meehan can speak.
    We don’t know if Gally is mentally ready for the NHL.
    We don’t know if Gomez has truly re-conditioned himself.
    And on and on….

Instead of being thrilled that we’ll all be sitting, watching hockey within the next week, and let’s be honest, we’re so addicted that we will, regardless of the posturing most of us have shown, it seems that everyone wants to play devil’s advocate without having seen one minute of the shortened season.
    I suggest we all chillax!

30. Habs64 says:

Also with Gally at over 3 million AAV and PK not signed we will be very tight to the cap if not over.

• habs03 says:

We have about 7M with 22 man roster, so say Subban signs for 4.5/2 years. You have 2.5M plus 1 roster guy to call down, could be a guy like Noke and that gives you 3M for Gally.

Might not have worded it right but there is room.

• Habs64 says:

Is Noke a 2 way contract? You can’t bury contracts in AHL.

Also PK will be close to 8 mill over 2 years similar to Carlsson’s AAV IMO.

• habs03 says:

its a 1 way contract, but I think it counts on the cap if its 350K over the league minimum..?

Also Carlson got a 6 year deal, that takes him to being a UFA, so he took less to get that. A 2 year deal keeps Subban an RFA when the contract ends, good for the Habs, bad for Subban.

• Habs64 says:

oh ok thought u meant 4.5 for 2 years with the slash not 4.5 per season. More what I was thinking. Or a 5yr 20m deal maybe.

• VJ says:

You can still bury contracts in the AHL, but the players entire salary doesn’t come off the cap in the way it used to.

Players making more than $375,000 over the minimum wage will see the difference count against his NHL’s cap hit

• Habfan10912 says:

I’m predicting a groin, I mean a lower body injury in camp which will free up some cap space.

———————————–

• TomNickle says:

It’s worth noting that Scott Gomez is still on Injured Reserve per the team website. I didn’t follow pro hockey all that closely during the lockout but I know he was with the Aces for a bit.

If he’s hurt now some tweaking could probably be done.

31. Mothstoflame says:

I dont know if this was brought up, but its so damn funny

Segiuns a pig and washed his clothes in a dryer.. i hope this is true

I must have been asleep all this past summer, either that or my record number of golf rounds are to blame. But how exactly was MB supposed to remake an entire roster in one offseason already, one in which he got a bit of a late start due to hiring time and more importantly during an offseason when most GM’s did very little by way of player movement due to the impending CBA negotiations which at the time were upcoming.

The only real significant moves made player wise, were the signing of Big time UFA’s (most of whom signed for ridiculous contracts), the resigning of RFA’s and teams own UFA’s and the Rick Nash trade.

Love how MB is already crapped on for not convincing 29 other GM’s to go ahead and act like we all know the landscape of the NHL before the new CBA is negotiated.

As for his sense of humour showing hostility, well then I am extremely hostile, good to know! :)

• Ozmodiar says:

This type of comment is one of my favorites – Player A was a FA this past summer, therefore we had the opportunity to sign him. :)

• TomNickle says:

If you’re talking about me Gerald I think you’re jumping to conclusions a little bit. I don’t think it would be fair to expect Bergevin to have remade the roster the way he wanted in one off-season.

But he stated that his goal from day one is for this team to make the playoffs and in addition be a perennial Stanley Cup contender. Indicating he wants the team to be good immediately and then he wants to add to it consistently so that it’s good every year.

To make this team good this year he has some work to do very quickly. Markov – Subban – Gorges – Kaberle – Bouillon – Emelin. That group lacks the ability to move opposing players off of the puck. That has been and will continue to be a huge issue. And God forbid any of those starting defensemen go down to injury, their replacements(Weber & Diaz) aren’t any better at moving guys off of the puck. Huge issue that won’t be solved in house, this season.

If Galchenyuk isn’t with the big club out of the gate this team has to count on Bourque returning to his 30 goal form or Eller taking a huge leap offensively as a winger. There’s no way coming out of this lockout that Gomez and Gionta won’t be paired together. So you can all but forget about Plekanec having Gionta flanking him unless they put Gomez on the left wing. Like that idea?

This team has huge problems and if making the playoffs this season is one of Bergevin’s goals as he stated it is, he’s got some serious work to do in a very short timeframe.

He could have saved himself some trouble by being proactive in the off-season.

• Ron says:

Tom, out of curiosity how many goals do you think Gally will get over the 48 game schedule IF he is with the big club out of the gate? You appear to think on a shortened 48 game season he will light it up. Just reading your remark that Bourque would need to return to his 30 goal form or Eller would have to take a huge leap in his production makes me think you think Gally will get 20 +.

• TomNickle says:

I think the opposite Ron. I think Galchenyuk will struggle through his first half season. So 40-50 games.

But I still think it’s best for him to be with the big club now if he can’t improve in junior.

I think Therrien’s line combinations that he has set in stone right now would be……

Pacioretty – Desharnais – Cole
          Gomez – Gionta
          Plekanec

My thinking is that if Galchenyuk isn’t with the big club or is and struggles, one of Eller or Bourque will have to be a big contributor offensively for this team to be successful.

• Ron says:

I see your angle but still am curious as to how many on a shortened season he might get in your feelings. Now you say he may struggle for half a season 40-50 games but this is only a 48 game affair so if he struggles for 24-30 of those it leaves very little wiggle room for him to light it up. That is why I would think he stay in JR. for the rest of the season and maybe, just maybe win some form of awards for his spectacular season he is having there that he would retain for the rest of his life.

• TomNickle says:

I’m not into predicting rookie scoring but if you held a gun to my head I would predict somewhere in the area of 10-15 goals and 15-20 assists in a 50 game season for Galchenyuk.

No doubt some was targeted at you Tom, you know I respect your opinion also I hope. I just think so far, the only thing to be critical of MB of, is his choice of MT. I didn’t like it, i am finding ways to make myself like it, but more importantly I will let this season play out as to how I start to judge him.

I trust his character, where he is from, the type of career he had as a player, the way he moved into front office etc…. the people he has surrounded himself with.

No GM could work miracles last summer unless they had an idiot owner throwing around 100 million contracts.

• TomNickle says:

I appreciate your comment. I just want it to be clear that I wasn’t expecting miracles.

I would have preferred he sign a defenseman or two who are big and physical. I certainly would have been pleased if he’d only gotten one.

The team needs an upgrade on last year’s version of Rene Bourque but I definitely cut him some slack on not getting one this past off-season. Scoring is hard to get in a free agent market. It remains a need if Bourque isn’t back to his old self or Eller doesn’t get the opportunity.

Therrien’s hiring and the continued commitment to small puck moving defensemen have me worries. That’s all.

Edit: The Bouillon and Armstrong signings don’t really inspire confidence either. Just give the job you want Armstrong in to White or Blunden(plenty of depth for that role) and Bouillon is an upgrade in the physicality department but it’s minimal and I suspect that signing was done only to give Therrien an echo in the room.

• shiram says:

There’s certainly reason to have some worries, not only on the points you mentionned, but also with oft injured Markov and Armstrong having to endure a compressed season.
            I’m glad we got a second for Gill, but Bouillon is a downgrade and while Gill was not physical, he was at least strong enough to move people around.
            I think this season is a transion one, there are some players that need to prove they can repeat or prove they can get back to what they once were, and there are upcoming decisions on who will remain and who will traded away…
            Bergevin still has the benefit of doubt, as far as I’m concerned, and I’m glad he at least made sure to improve the office, scouting and player relation people. But he needs to get his butt in gear if he wants to make due on his promise.
            Next off season should be interesting.

• frontenac1 says:

Hostile,you amigo? No way! That Freud fellow was nuts. Weird ideas about cigars, and his mother.

33. Luke says:

Is the the “arrogant” PK quote that has everyone in such a snit?:

“Before a deal can get done, the first agreement is yourself and your agent have to agree on the same things and I think we clarified everything (Monday). We know where we both stand,” said Subban, who is represented by Don Meehan of Newport Sports. “Now it’s his job to go and relay that Montreal and take it from there.

“We had a long summer to try and get things done and it didn’t happen so as far as I’m concerned, it’s out of my control. I can’t offer myself a contract. At this point now, I’m just waiting and making sure I keep myself in shape so that once I get to training camp, I’m ready to go. I’ve made it clear I want to play there and play there for a long time. My interest is nowhere but in Montreal. That’s never, ever changed and it’s never been a question. If anybody says anything different, they don’t know what they’re talking about.”

34. TomNickle says:

Galchenyuk’s years of RFA eligibility should be the least of Bergevin’s concerns.

If he develops into the kind of player he’s expected to be, he’ll be the team’s highest priority regardless of how the rest of the roster looks when he’s eligible for a new contract.

• habs03 says:

Exactly, one year difference between RFA/UFA ain’t an huge issue.

Question is if he is ready? What do you think?

• TomNickle says:

I don’t think anybody under the age of 25 is ever “ready”. The large majority of players under that age haven’t peaked athletically.

I think it does him and the team more good than harm to have him up for this season for the following reasons.

1. It will get him used to being a professional.

2. It will allow him to get his rookie struggles out of the way in a season that in my opinion doesn’t mean anything.

3. I don’t feel he can improve on anything other than his skating in junior at this point in time.

4. It will provide an opportunity to see if he can develop chemistry with any of the current roster players which will help Bergevin in making tough choices down the road.

5. If he’s productive offensively it solves a team need on the second or third line.

Bergevin noted after they drafted Galchenyuk that they did so because he has a burning desire to become the best player in the World. Allowing him to learn as quickly as possible will help him achieve that goal as soon as possible. That can’t be a bad thing.

• Luke says:

Agreed. If a player is good enough to help the team win, then you play him. Worry about the paperwork in 2015/16 when it expires, not today…

+10

35. habs03 says:

I think there is a huge issue in regards to players playing in the CHL that are simply to good for it, but not good enough for the NHL. Now the AHL would be perfect you would think, but you got to be 20 to be able to play. I know CHL teams won’t allow it, but that rule can ruin some players.

Ex Seguin after his trade year, was simply too good to back to the CHL, nothing left to prove, so Bruins couldn’t send him to the AHL, so they kept him playing him very little, and even benching him some games. He turned out just fine, but that isn’t always the case, Connolly in Tampa.

• TomNickle says:

I don’t think Connolly’s the best example. He’s got a bit of a rap as a problem child and probably wasn’t best served in junior where they overlook those issues routinely.

• habs03 says:

Ok, but the point being, for example Gally seems to be too good for juniors now, and sometimes keep a guy there aint the best, simply because he is too good, playing the guy 12 minutes a game, might not be ideal but maybe better than juniors.

But the best option would be to play him 20 minutes a game in the AHL, vs men. But that option just isn’t there.

A better example might be Jonathan Huberdeau, guy is going to be playing for the Panthers no matter how bad he is at camp, simply because juniors is a waste of time for him.

• TomNickle says:

I agree with the idea. If Galchenyuk can’t improve in junior, bring him up now because he will improve in the NHL. If nothing else he’ll get accustomed to the speed of the game and will be able to easily identify the quantifiable areas where he needs to improve in the off-season.

Getting his expected early NHL struggles out of the way in a shortened season is ideal too.

• rhino514 says:

I agree except there have been suggestions that his skating is not NHL average yet. That´s anot a small thing. That´s a big thing.
          the other big thing is he has played basically only one year in junior as opposed to two. He´s also incredibly young -eighteen, i believe. The team, for all its weaknesses, is actually too deep right now at centre. I think all of this adds up to one more year in Junior for Gally.

I guy I COULD see coming up towards the end of the season is Gallagher, if he can continue to improve. He´s older, and though not elite, mature, and didn´t seem to lose a step at all at last year´s training camp. I´d rather have LL, but he is just not the same player since his injury and no guarantee he will recover soon.

• Mike D says:

I’ve believed that to be a problem for a long time. It would be nice if the leagues can agree (or convince the CHL) that players of a certain skill level can be granted an exemption and play in the AHL earlier. If they want to be serious about being “the best development league in the world”, they need to recognize that some of their restrictions can actually stall or hurt a player’s development. I don’t think a lot of players would fall into the category so it wouldn’t really hurt the CHL, and they could create rules/limits for which players qualify for the exemption that still keep the players progress as the top priority.

- Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• TomNickle says:

The problem is that the CHL needs that rule in place. There’s a pretty significant transition to College hockey going on right now and they’ve(CHL) done a great job of minimizing the impact it’s had on their leagues for a while.

36. VJ says:

Anyone else notice the usual 9 game tryout for Jr kids has been reduced to 6 games for this year only

edit – Rather they expect to reduce it, which would make sense with the 48 game schedule.

37. HabFanSince72 says:

Heard Bergevin on the radio this am and something kinda bothers me.

He said that the team was quite poor last year, finishing 15th, and that some players will have to do better.

Undoubtedly true, but there was an emphasis on the negative that seemed … well, negative. As GM he shouldn’t be playing bad cop, and in any case it’s a fresh start. Why not be optimistic instead of criticizing the veterans from day one?

I am sure no one will agree, but there is something about Bergevin that worries me. Take the history of practical jokes. You don’t have to believe everything Freud said to accept that jokes reveal the unconscious id of a person. Practical jokes in particular speak to a suppressed hostility, to resentment and a need to humiliate others.

Add to that the naming of Michel Therrien, a known asshole, and I am worried about things going off the rails very fast.

Let’s revisit this in two years if H I/O is still around.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• habs03 says:

I think he is just managing expectations. But I’m not sure what that stuff about him being a funny guy and stuff means anything, most of the stories were of him over 20 years ago, not sure what they have to do with anything.

But I understand where your coming from, seeing a rookie GM with little experience, add to that MT is the coach, but don’t forget Bergevin has Dudley and Larry Carriere, two old guys that have been in the league forever to help him out.

I agree completely.

It’s his job to turn things around, that’s why he was hired. And if the players he chooses to keep don’t turn things around, and if the coach he chose doesn’t turn things around, that’s on him.

This team has glaring weaknesses. A lack of physical presence both individually and collectively, they have a lack of size among the skilled forwards(Pacioretty and Cole notwithstanding) and they are a unit that didn’t work cohesively last year, again, Pacioretty, Desharnais and Cole notwithstanding.

This team has one very good line, some nice defensemen at the top end and an excellent if not great goaltender.

That’s my opinion of the big club. Some nice prospects? Yeah sure, but most every other team has some too.

If he’s trying to motivate a team that couldn’t play, be coached or managed much worse than it was last year, it stands to reason that a positive approach would be the best way to work toward getting the desired results.

• Mike D says:

I too wasn’t a fan of the MT hiring, but I’ll give him a shot and see how it plays out. I don’t know that MB had a lot of good candidates too choose from, and after the Cunneyworth fiasco, I don’t think he had much choice but to hire a coach who speaks french.

As for his player decisions, I very much like what he’s done so far. I think he realizes the team is in a transition phase but had holes to fill so took some no-risk options with Frankie and Colby. Prust was a much needed acquisition, and although 2.5mil is a little high, it’s not real overpayment and won’t hurt us on the cap. Max at 4.5mil for 6 years was a great move (assuming he stays at least a 30+goal guy). I was hoping we’d sign Price for less than 6mil, but given the market for goaltenders of his calibre, his age, and the fact we bought a lot of UFA years, I can live with 6.5mil. Great goaltenders are rare – a goalie who can be great in Montreal is rarer still.

While I agree the team has weaknesses, I don’t think we’re really lacking in terms of forwards with a physical presence. We have some guys who are small and/or soft in DD, Gio, and Pleks, but I consider Bourque and Eller to be skilled guys (though maybe not to the same extent as Max and Cole) who bring the physical stuff too. Moen, Prust, and most of our lesser-skilled guys are plenty physical and tough to play against.

Our D is our biggest weakness right now and has too many question marks. P.K. is already good and should be great. Hopefully he won’t get over-payed. Gorges is solid, and elite at what he does best (kill penalties and block shots). At least two of Kabs/Weber/Diaz are redundant and need to go. If St. Denis is an NHLer then add him to my previous sentence and change the number to three. Markov is a question mark, but if he can be 80% of what he was, he’s still valuable. If he’s even better, get the gravy boat out. Emelin should become a solid top-4 guy but still has a little work to do. Frankie fills a void right now but is here short-term only.

That’s how I see things anyway.

- Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny

• Ian Cobb says:

Paul! I hope to be still around.
      It has been a very long time since our players have suited up and just maybe they needed to be reminded that 15th place is just unacceptable for our millionaires and our fans.

• Cardiac says:

You are looking waaaaaaay too much into this.

IMO, he has every right to be “hostile.” I didn’t listen to the interview, but I believe he is putting a lot of players on notice. This team was full of floaters and underachievers who were quite capable of delivering more.

What did you expect him to say? The usual BS fluff that we have grown used to hearing from the likes of Gauthier, Martin, and Cunneyworth? We DID suck! Our best players HAVE TO play better! It’s called accountability.

- Jerry Maguire

• Timo says:

For me Bergevin’s credibility went down the pooper when he hired Therrien. Everything else is just a bonus. I have as much faith in the current management and coaching stuff as I had in the last one so there… At least I won’t be disappointed.

• Kooch7800 says:

Fans and media in Montreal look at things through rose colored glasses quite a bit and I think he is pointing out the fact this team was brutal. He is being realistic. I think he is also putting the players on notice that there will be changes coming so if you want to stay you better put the effort in. I have no issue with that at all. There will be accountability brought back in.

It could also be posturing in the PK negotiation as well. I do doubt it but I know Meehan is looking at the minutes PK brought last year and the match ups he had but that will be a little different this year if everyone stays healthy.

Time will tell about MB but I like the fact he recognized the team needs more gritt which he did address.

Like you said we won’t know for a couple years how he actually does

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• TomNickle says:

Time will tell if he understands the team needs.

It needs more skill at the top of the roster, it needs more physicality on defense and it needs to get bigger at forward.

He ignored two of those right out of the gate. We’ll see if he’s going to address those needs shortly.

• Kooch7800 says:

I agree Tom that more skill is needed and physical defense. We do have to take into account the CBA and current contracts he has. I have no doubt there will be quite a bit of movement after this 1/2 season. I think there will be some players moved at the deadline for pics as well.

Time will tell. I am thinking the habs are going to struggle out of the gate with a new system being implemented. Same with Calgary having a new coach as well. a shortened training camp is not ideal for this. Bodes well for a high draft pic though!

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• TomNickle says:

I’m just skeptical and not impressed so far. There were a great deal of big physical defensemen that Bergevin could have signed prior to the lockout, plenty of teams made trades so it stands to reason that Bergevin could have.

It could be patience, it could be that he privately has very low expectations for the team this year and doesn’t want to sacrifice anything valuable to address current needs or it could be that he just doesn’t feel the team needs improvements in the areas that you and I think it does.

As you say, time will tell.

• Kooch7800 says:

Sadly Tom, I am more looking forward to this season than last not just because of the lock out but because the habs have so many questions surrounding them currently it is really hard to know what to expect

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• veryhabby says:

TomN….my 12 yr old son understands the team’s need. Anyone with half an understanding of hockey knows this team’s needs. The thing is it’s not that easy to fix in one off season. Plus the fact that last year’s season just can’t be a honest reflection of this roster (just can’t be). Every team is looking for more skill in top lines, better dmen, team muscle etc. Teama aren’t lining up to give this to the habs for nothing, and with the lock out in the horizon it wasn’t time to go “big” into the UFA market (altho who out there would have meet our needs outside of the few big fish who signed crazy contracts).

Give the GM time to evaluate what he has now that he is the GM and not a assistant GM of another team. Let’s see how the CBA effects the UFA market next summer. Let’s see who we buy out and who we trade away at the trade deadline. Let the guy have time to rebuild the team. Like I said everyone knows what their team needs…getting ALL those needs is close to impossible.

I am happy he sounded firm on the radio. Time to get serious. Time to prove last year was just a mistake. He is showing it’s not a country club. Do your job or we move on without you. Good!

• Ozmodiar says:

I like the honesty, TBH.

I’m not too concerned, despite Freud’s theories.

• Timo says:

And also, with that hairdo it is just play obvious he is not going to do anything to make Habs competitive.

• petefleet says:

With all due respect, if Bergevin wants to light a fire under these guys to get them off to good start this year, let him at it. I’m sure he’s already had his team phylosophy meeting and has laid out his expectations so anything he says to the media is irrelevent. By all accounts this guy is above board on everything so I can’t see him talking out of both sides of his mouth. WRT MT, Colby says he likes him and had great success with him as do others. The media has tried, with some success, to paint him in a bad light based on his history in MTL. MT has no doubt grown as a coach, stategist and motivator since his last stay in MTL. I really think the negative stuff is not at all on MB ot MT, it’s on posters who continue to spew the propoganda.

******************************************

“It just goes to show how difficult predictions are, especially ones made about the future.”

RGM
      ***Habs Forever***

• TomNickle says:

Really. Re-hiring a coach who flamed out twice in dramatic fashion is a risky move at best until proven otherwise.

Public negative reinforcement less than a year removed from negative reinforcement resulting in a demoralized group isn’t exactly innovative.

You can have faith or choose to be positive, and I can choose to be skeptical or negative.

It doesn’t make my opinion or like minded opinions propaganda.

• petefleet says:

Propoganda may have been a strong word for my message but I think taking the wait and see approach is better than jumping on the negative bandwagon. I haven’t seen a steady stream of players lining up to agree with the media’s account of MT and his failings; current or former. If you have, please provide a link, I’d love to read them.
          I really don’t see the current group taking the same dark road that PG and crew did. I think, based on positive accounts of the GM and coach, that this year will be different and the team will be different. Time will tell. I’m still going to MTL for a game or two and I’m still going to cheer or jeer loudly at my TV for the rest.

******************************************

RGM
          ***Habs Forever***

• TomNickle says:

Okay. One of Michel Therrien’s best friends fired him because he lost the dressing room.

He was moderately successful here a long time ago but now has a reputation around the league and many players don’t want anything to do with him(Dave Stubbs’ interview with Hal Gill will validate that).

If Therrien hasn’t changed for the better and Bergevin decides to ignore the needs of the team in the immediate future, it will be more of the same.

• Cal says:

None of the players are his save for this year’s draft picks, so they should all be on notice.
      MB sounds like he doesn’t want last year’s debacle to be repeated. That gives me the impression that he actually cares about winning.

I had a most interesting sit down with a Canadian Icon the other day! I was working out at the Belleville wellness complex, where the Belleville Bulls play. I happened to see Peter Newman. In his frail state he accepted my invitation to sit and chat for a while.

He is a great man.
    We talked on a few subjects and at great length about literacy. Needless to say, I taught him a lot!!!

39. Habs64 says:

Gally should go back to Sarnia after 5 if any games played.

• commandant says:

Why not see how he plays those 5 games before we make a decision?

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Luke says:

No. He’s a bum. We drafted the wrong guy. Why wait until later & see how things go when we can make unfounded decisions now!!

• Ozmodiar says:

…and let’s see how he does in training camp before he makes the opening day roster. ;)

/baby steps

• TomNickle says:

I think it’s important to consider his current situation before deciding how to evaluate him in training camp. He’s going to have his struggles at the NHL level regardless of when he makes the jump. Going back to junior this season might not be best for his development.

If he can’t improve any more in junior there’s no purpose to him being there. And if that’s the case I don’t see any harm in him getting his feet wet in a compressed season at the NHL level.

• Habs64 says:

So burn a year of entry level deal with cap going down next season??

• habs03 says:

ELC is for 3 years, so his cap hit is the same this year, as it would be next year. Also cap isn’t an issue for the Habs. We’ll have more than enough cap space.

Its simply if he is good enough, keep him, if going to juniors aint going to help him keep him here. If he plans out, the guy is going to get paid, either way, no difference in 1 year being a UFA and an RFA year.

• Habs64 says:

I know it’s the same but we can take it out another year not burn it for 48 games and Habs sucking. More cap space is good cause lots of great UFA this summer.

• commandant says:

You do what is best for his development as a player, not what is best for his “contract”. He’s a legit potential superstar.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Mike D says:

Personally, I don’t think he should get called up until after his OHL season is done. That way you get the best of both worlds in that he finishes his comeback/development season since he missed almost all of last year due to injury, AND he gets his NHL look too with all the positives that come with that.

- Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

40. Hobie Hansen says:

Judging by the poll question it seems only 10% of people on this site are completely out of their mind! On the PK situation anyway :-).

Subban will be signed hours after the pen is put to paper on the new CBA people, relax!

41. jon514 says:

I’m sad that a lot of people on this site seem to be counting Eller out in hopes that Galchenyuk will earn his spot.

While I’m hopeful that Gally turns into one of the league’s elite 30 centers, I can’t help but feel bad for this kid who I believe will be playing at the number 2 position behind him in a few years.

Can I get some love for my man Lars?

• arcosenate says:

Larry’s going to be fine, I think Therrien has to play him at centre though, that’s his position. Third line centre is a perfect place for him, he’ll prove he belongs.

• Mike D says:

I agree that he could be an excellent 3rd line C, but I think many see more potential than that and have higher hopes for him. Count me in amongst the latter group. He was drafted 13th overall, has good speed, skill, and size, and we traded a good commodity for him.

I’d like to get more than just a 3rd line Center out of Eller when you look at all that. Unless of course we have 3 scoring lines as opposed to just two, in which case Eller would still be a top-6 quality player.

- Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny

• arcosenate says:

I am just thinking he will probably start there this year, prove it’s his position and move up accordingly. I agree with you, he’s better than a third line centre for the rest of his career.

• Mike D says:

I suspect you’re right about where he will start the year. He could also be our 2nd line LW if Bourque isn’t ready to go. Personally I’d like to see a line of Moen-Eller-Bourque given a chance since Rene is basically our new AK46 and that line had some chemistry last year.

Of course, if you do that, then who plays LW with Pleks and Gio? Armstrong? Gomez?

And this is all assuming the DD line stays intact. If it doesn’t, then it’s anyone’s guess who plays where and with who.

- Honestly yours
            Twitter: @de_benny

• Cal says:

When he starts producing, then maybe… ;)

• arcosenate says:

I am with you on the Eller line, just hope Bourque is ready and serious about playing. Three big guys on a line will not hurt at all, and Moen will give Eller some space out there.

42. Mike D says:

This has the potential to be a very important season for us which makes me excited. I’m looking at it like an experimental year and I think the club would be well-advised to do the same:

- Players have a chance to adjust to Therrien’s new system
    - We’ll see how Markov 2.0 looks and if he can stay healthy
    - Can the Max-DD-Cole line continue to be good, and if not, which C’s will play well with which wingers?
    - How DD plays will not only help determine the value of his next deal, but where he will play (C or wing)
    - See how Emelin and Eller progress
    - Does Bourque bounce back
    - What to do about our 2 Swiss Dmen, Diaz and Weber
    - Who are going to be our 2 buyout candidates. We already know who one of them is, but we have to establish cap stability since the ceiling is coming down next year. What happens with P.K. will have a big impact on this too.
    - Figure out the logjam we have at Center right now. Nyuk makes things complicated in a good way, but if Eller and DD both show they are top-6 quality (Pleks has already proven he is), then someone has to move to wing or we have to trade somebody. None of these guys are 4th line C’s and we have to figure out who will be that guy for us (White, Nokie, a Bulldog perhaps).
    - If Armstrong does well maybe we can keep him after this year at a reasonable price. If he doesn’t play well or can’t stay healthy, nothing lost and no long term damage.
    - What happens with Leblanc
    - Do we re-sign Budaj as a back-up this summer and for how much?
    - With the NHL reg. season going later into the year, let’s give certain prospects a look with the big club AFTER their junior/ahl/euro leagues have concluded.
    - Which players might show value who are not in the team’s long-term plans, and what can we get for them at the deadline or in the off-season. Can we get even MORE early round draft picks for Timmins and MB to work with?

I’m really hoping the team decides to use this as a transitional year to answer these and other questions as they all have long-term impacts and more important implications than ‘going for it’ in this half-assed season. If we make the playoffs, fine. If not, that’s fine too as long as we figure out the important stuff. If we get another lottery pick in the process, that’s fantastic and this would be the season to do that.

- Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

• Ozmodiar says:

“- We’ll see how Markov 4.1 looks and if he can stay healthy”

fixed!!

You did a nice job summarizing many of the things to watch for this season, thanks Mike.

• Mike D says:

I’m just glad someone took the time to read my long-winded post hahaha. BTW, good morning to you, Gerald.

- Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny

• shiram says:

I read it too, and it’s a nice summary.
          Budaj has not done bad here, considering the random and few starts he’s been given, 0.913 Sv% and 2.55GAA is not too shabby for a backup on what was a bad Habs team.

• Mike D says:

Thanks Shiram. I too am actually fond of Budaj as a back-up. In that role, he’s better than most…..but isn’t a young guy who has aspirations to be a starter like so many other good back-ups. He’s also not an old-timer either which is great, and has experience as a starter. By all accounts he’s a great teammate as well, and accepts his role as a back-up so there won’t be any friction or controversy with Price (real or media-created).

If he’s willing to sign for 1mil or less per season, I’d have no problem with the team signing him for a few more years.

- Honestly yours
            Twitter: @de_benny

• shiram says:

Especially with no one in the pipelines ready to take up an NHL job.
            Mayer has not done bad lately, but the reports on him were not very favorable.

The topic of PK. Seems this is the lightning rod topic among Hab fans. I find it interesting that typically if anyone brings up anything negative about PK it immediately stirs up HI/O and results in being sent to the corner while having to also skip dessert.

Why is it that Price can be criticized, Markov criticized, coaching criticized, mgmt and ownership criticized, but if someone questions PK the attacks are immediate?

• Cal says:

Could it be he is beyond reproach?

I really like PK alot, and he is as exciting a player as we have had in a number, make that many years. But there are elements to his game which have shortcomings. Yet it seems if they are brought up, immediately the shooting gallery opens.

Pretty good buddy of mine is coaching a top midget team here in Ontario. PK has been helping the team out during lockout. Gotta say, he was extremely generous with his time and was certainly generous with his verbal assessments…..

• Propwash says:

A lot of speculation on how much P.K`s agent is asking to sign him for. His last contract was for somewhere around 850k, in my view he isn’t going to make superstar money quite yet.

_____________________________
      “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
      Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

• arcosenate says:

PK will always be a hot topic, he’ll be 95years old and cause controversy concerning how well he rocks in his rocking chair…

• Kooch7800 says:

It is a very very valid question Burly. In my opinion Price is worth more to the team than PK.

I wonder if it is how they come across. Price is very laid back and doesn’t show a ton of emotion whereas PK’s best and worst quality is his confidence

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Ozmodiar says:

The same backlash happens when Price is criticized. It just happens less frequently b/c his game has less wrinkles. Wait until Galchenyuk starts playing.

I don’t think we have to go over why Markov, mgmt, coaching and ownership have less advocates. :)

• Luke says:

Because the things PK gets criticized for are BS.

If you want to dump on PK for his passing, or positional play… go ahead… but PK gets dumped on for “Something I heard” “Everyone on the Habs hates him” “He’s arrogant and greedy” “Bad in the room” etc etc.

At least Markov is getting crapped on for his knee… which i think is BS… Galchenyuk’s got a bum knee and no one has commented on wasting the 3rd overall pick on a guy who’s career is in jeopardy.

• aroma says:

It may have less to do with PK himself, and something to do with the organization’s horrible tendency since the days of Chris Chelios to unerringly make poor decisions about which defencemen to get rid of and which ones to keep. Anyone following the Habs since then could rattle off numerous defencemen traded or let go who afterwards far surpassed the efforts of many of the d’men they held on to. Maybe there is a fear, unconscious or otherwise, of making the same mistake with PK… and like Chelios, he has a character considered by some to be abrasive. There is no organizational tolerance for players whose characters can be a tad edgy. And PK fits that description. So we are afraid of losing yet another blue chip defenceman.

44. HabsFanMTL says:

dunno why with all the tougher , more skilled and more in shape 3rd liners out there and cheaper why we spent 1 million on armstrong who has been injury prone the last few seasons, all because Therrien knows him from the past? we could have gotten one of the Ruttu’s brothers or Tutu’s or whatever they’re names are……or plenty of other “healthier” 3rd liners out there who are hard-nosed…….. And since were on that topic i’d of kept Staubitz rather than sign Armstrong…..u keep Staubitz as insurance muscle on fourth line and Prust can play 3rd line with moen and eller

• bwoar says:

Armstrong, although thoroughly detestable as a head-hunter, is a better hockey player and penalty killer than Staubitz. By a long way. Having Prust makes a plug/pugilist like Staubitz useless for the Habs.

It is not the Habs 3rd-4th lines that are questionable. I think for the first time in a while, I’m comfortable with the role players we have. It’s the top two lines that are Swiss cheese. 1 injury to any of our top 5 best offensive players, and we are treading water with a pocket full of bricks.

Final point on Armstrong: for a change, the head-hunter will be going after other teams’ guys.

• Cal says:

Staubitz can’t skate. I like that he will drop ‘em when he has to, but he has to be able to play the game, too.

• Mike D says:

Have a look at Armstrong’s career points-per-game and you’ll answer that question. If he doesn’t do well, what have we lost? If he does do well, maybe we can flip him at the deadline for a good asset, or maybe even re-sign him if it makes sense. With a shortened season he likely won’t be able to “earn” a much bigger $$ contract this summer and maybe you get a 40 point guy at a cheap price simply because of the question mark. Lots of options as it relates to Colby.

I liked Staubitz too while he was here, but Prust can do what he did AND actually play hockey. How much muscle do we really need? We have Prust and White who’ll drop-em whenever needed, and Moen as well to a slightly lesser extent. Bourque will mix it up on occasion and is a big body. Armstrong plays gritty. Eller is absolutely jacked now. Cole and Max are big, fast, and do the power forward thing well. Even Nokie is no smurf. We have big hitters with Emelin and Subban too (and Tinordi in the pipeline). How much more ‘toughness’ does a team really need?

- Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

45. commandant says:

Bob McKenzie reporting that Junior aged players (ie Galchenyuk) only get a 5 game tryout this season, not 9, due to the shortened schedule.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Luke says:

I thought they’d prorate it. Makes sense.

agree, seems logical. Wait how did the NHL do that?

• arcosenate says:

Absolutely makes sense, I actually hope Galchenyuk sticks and wins rookie of the year.

• BJ says:

After having watched most of the Bulldogs games, you can see even climbing that one step how much of an adjustment it is for the younger players having just come up from junior. They are talented for sure but the one element that is very apparent is the physical maturity. They need the development of that strength that separates teenagers and men.So as good as Galchenyuk is, the question remains can he adjust to two levels up?

• arcosenate says:

Well, I am of the opinion that if he is good enough and can compete and learn, he should make the team. If he’s not ready, he’s not ready. Keeping him in the minors just to be cautious isn’t doing him any favours either. Hey, someone has to win rookie of the year, if he can play, let him play.

• Ozmodiar says:

There goes my prediction of 9 games with the big club.

46. rhino514 says:

I still don´t understand the whole “make whole” deal.
    The reason “make whole” is there is because player´s salaries will automatically be lowered to fit under 50% of HRR, is that right? Otherwise there wouldn´t be any need for Make Whole.
    However, I am guessing that 300 million of Make Whole does not cover the whole loss in salary incurred as a result of the decrease from 57% to 50%. So how much of their money are the players signed to mega contracts (and lesser contracts) ?

• commandant says:

Yes, escrow will ensure the players only make 50% of revenues, which essentially means that until revenues rise again they are taking a 12% paycut via the escrow.

The make whole amounts, mean that they will reduce overall league escrow by that amount… essentially meaning the player pool is 50% of revenues + make whole amount.

Its still a hit, but make whole lowers the hit.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• rhino514 says:

o.k. i think i get it. But the Make Whole will distributed, I believe, majority of the amount in the first year and the rest in the second, right? So the first big rollback would be in the second year, and after that, it depends how fast revenue grows, to get back to the equivalent of last season´s gross salary numbers…

47. BJ says:

Sorry to hear about Dominic Moore’s wife’s passing. On another note, I heard PK in interview where he seems somewhat arrogant about the fact that Bergevin had plenty of time to get a deal done before the lockout. As much as I like PK on the ice, I support management in not having any player or agent dictate a teams financial structure in the evolution of a players services. The fact that he is not particularly appreciated in the dressing room is another issue. Its about a team chemistry and as talented as he is, he has to adapt or stay home if he feels he deserves a route other than the one that was followed in both Price and Pacioretty’s evolution. As he is multi talented he can get a job as a weather man or as a sports analyst. We don’t need to hear any more BS about money.

• Chuck says:

I didn’t realize that PK not being particularly appreciated in the dressing room was a fact.

___________________________________________________

• Psycho29 says:

Where did you hear that interview? I’m surprised it wasn’t played all over the Montreal media this morning….

I did hear this clip this morning though:
      “My interest is nowhere else but in Montreal. They know that. It’s never, ever changed. It’s never been a question. If anybody says anything different, they don’t know what they’re talking about.”

• ZepFan2 says:

I believe it was on Sportsnet. I heard it as well and thought PK should stop talking. More and more it seems like he doesn’t want to be here.

———————————————————————-
        Ka is a wheel.

“Bring it back home to me baby”

Bring it on Home

• Luke says:

Is this the PK interview/commment?:

• ZepFan2 says:

That’s the one.

It’s not only the words he spoke, it was his body language and his facial gestures that made me think he’s fed up and ready to move on. I hope I’m completely out of the loop and he’s just frustrated he’s not signed, period.

———————————————————————-
        Ka is a wheel.

“Bring it back home to me baby”

Bring it on Home

48. commandant says:

Max with his thoughts on the shootout, and its place in the NHL.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• New says:

I think the shootout is fine. The NHL wants to have a winner for each game then go for it. Let the mascot shoot. I don’t care. But if you want to open up the game give the regulation winner 3 points, and the overtime or shootout winner 2 points, with the loser of overtime or the shootout getting one. But I don’t think they want to open up the game. They want the illusion of parity.

• Luke says:

I agree with the 3point; 2&1 split. However I don’t think it matters.

If I recall correctly… people (like motivated folks around here, and in the media) have done breakdowns to account for ties instead of SO wins and for the 3pt win, 2&1 OT games, and in the vast majority of cases the standing remains very similar in respect to who actually made the playoffs, with just some positions being shuffled. The gaps between teams become larger.

And as you say… the Illusion of Parity.

49. arcosenate says:

In September the Flyers were inquiring about PK and the asking price was said to be Sean Couturier, anyone go for that deal today?

It’s especially relevant knowing Pronger is done Matt Carle is gone and the rest of the Flyers D is not that great.

• commandant says:

No, our defence would be BRUTAL without PK.

I don’t trade him unless its a massive overpay. Couturier isn’t.

Couturier will end up a nice second line centre with defensive skills too, a 60-70 point guy in his peak. Subban’s potential is to be a number 1 D man.

I keep the number 1 D.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• arcosenate says:

It’s a risk for sure, but I don’t think the habs D would be brutal without PK, the system has some pretty good looking prospects comeing up next year for sure. Depending on Markov’s health and the amount of minutes he can play, PK, while being missed, might not be irreplaceable.

And Couturier does have a huge upside, everyone is still mentioning the job he did on Malkin in the playoffs.

• commandant says:

OUr up and coming prospects might make good #2 defencemen… but I don’t see anyone who can be a number 1.

As for Markov, I don’t expect him to be 100%, after three years with like 15 games of NHL hockey, and being 34 now… he’s gonna be something less than that… its a matter of how much… is he 50% of his former self? 80%? Can he stay healthy?

Way too many questions to move PK.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• New says:

Markov paired with PK on a one year contract might make PK rich on the next contract. Likewise PK playing with a good partner anywhere might make him rich. Canadiens fans assume PK wants to be well paid in Montreal. He might have more opportunity in TO, Philly, Chicago, Detroit, or many more cities. Careers are short. PK didn’t get up to the NHL by not having a plan. He is very marketable but the Canadiens could afford to lose him on the ice and off. They finished third last with him last year. Will they drop another spot without him?

• Ozmodiar says:

The Habs D would be brutal without PK. Some might say it’s brutal as it stands now. Too soft.

Further, Couturier doesn’t fill a need on the Habs. The 2/3rd C spots, and shut down roles, are already filled by Pleks and Eller.

You also have to consider that a 1st pairing D is more valuable than a 2nd line C. If you look at the centers of both teams, Couturier would likely end up somewhere in the middle (variable based on personal preference, value, potential v. current production, etc…):
          Giroux
          Pleks
          Briere
          Couturier
          DD
          Schenn
          Eller
          Gom…ah, nevermind

Conversely, if you look at the defensemen from both teams, PK is at the top of the list.

• arcosenate says:

I get all that, and I agree with most of it, my point really is that I am sure there is a price point bergevin will not go over with a young player like this, and that the options which exist include a trade.

It’s strange that they have not signed him in my opinion, strange to the point that they obviously have their own questions about PK, based on what I do not know, but there’s something going on.

• Luke says:

@ arc

It’s not strange they haven’t signed him. They were negotiating and didn’t panic at the end of the CBA. There are a few other RFAs in PK’s class (especially Del Zotto who’s offensive game is probably more refined at this point) that didn’t sign either.

This is not an exceptional case.

• BJ says:

I was just discussing this exact same scenario with my brother 20 minutes ago. I think the price would have to be Giroux and perhaps us kicking in a second rounder. The Flyers would not go for it, but neither would I for Couturier only.

50. coutNY says:

Sounds like a Leafs @ Habs start to the season match…

UPDATE: Looks to be old news, posted below

Kristian Huselius has retired due to his bum hip. He hasn’t played for awhile now but he might have been a short term answer to the Habs woes on the left wing (if he was healthy enough to play).

52. 69HABS says:

Budaji (whatever) won’t be seeing much action …

• 24 Cups says:

Bubble teams like the Habs will have to play to their strengths so Price is going to see a ton of action. Of course an overly condensed schedule might change that fact. As well, any prolonged losing streak or major injury to a star player would also end the hopes of the lower seeded teams.

• New says:

He’ll probably be sharper than Price for the first few games. But yeah, Price is a horse, so maybe 6 games.

53. Chrisadiens says:

So #DregerFace said that PK is seeking Doughty money? I love ya PK, but you’re not quite there yet. Didn’t Doughty hold out to get “Doughty” money as well? I just can’t see PK being that outlandish about his current value. Also, Meehan has always been a hard nosed agent so this makes me a little nervous.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

Team report from the Bulldogs on last nights victory over Toronto in Hamilton. Not the most exciting game, but a win!

There were two or three major loopholes that destroyed the intent of the last CBA. Will there be any new ones in the upcoming deal?

Just in case any of you were worried Gomez might stay with the Aces in Anchorage, he is definitely on his way to Montreal. Whew….

57. rhino514 says:

Armstrong was invited to play as well as coach but he chose to “not risk getting hurt”. Hmmmm, sounds like a very fragile player who is scared to play. it´s not like he would have been facing real rough competition, either.

• Habfan10912 says:

He’s been often injured the last few season so I’m not expecting much from him this season. Would be nice if he were healthy but highly unlikely, huh?

———————————–

• rhino514 says:

To me he sounds like the kind of guy you sign just in case you make the playoffs for those hard-nosed low scoring games when only dirty goals go in. He´s probably a regular season non-factor. Maybe sthing like Maxim Lapierre, but even less o a regular season factor, and less likely to stay healthy.

If indeed the Canucks trade Luongo before this season, no matter what they will have a 6million dollar cap hit coming to them at some point in the future assuming Luongo does not play out his entire contract. The bizarre thing however, is if indeed Luongo retires prior to his final season, the Canucks would then have a one time one year 6million dollar cap hit during that final year of the contract. The Nucks would almost be better off if he retired 2 or 3 seasons prior to end of contract, as then the cap hit is divided over the remaining term of contract.

• Habfan10912 says:

OK, I’m confused again. Is the fact the Canucks still “owe” a cap hit due to some sort of a signing bonus or is this something in the new CBA?

———————————–

Part of new CBA, however, only if he doesn’t honour his contract in its entirety. This is the penalty brought into new CBA to penalize teams who signed contracts with big backdiving salary drops.

Good Morning Jim!

59. jeffhabfan says:

My condolences to the Moore family. Sportnet said on the ticker that Pleky might miss the start of camp next week with a upper body injury it better not be bad.

Stubbs spoke with Plex about it, it is very minor. In fact I believe one of the comments Plex made was that once he gets treatment in Montreal it may be okay by opening night. Sounds like a very minor knock, he and Stubbs were making light of it practically in the interview.

• Ian Cobb says:

If HIO is an indicator of this so called NHL boycott, then the stands will be packed this half season!

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

• Cal says:

Only in Canada and the original 6 cities in the US. Everywhere else is a huge question mark.
          I hope to see lots of empty seats during American broadcasts.

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Cal. Will be interesting to see how the crowds are in Florida, Dallas and other non hockey markets.
            ———————————–

• habs-fan-84 says:

Those southern US teams will probably have about the same amount of people at their games as this time last year.

• Cal says:

@HF- Morning, Jim. I want HRR to drop like a stone. It’ll teach both sides the “Don’t eff with the fans” lesson.

• Habfan10912 says:

Funny Ian, isn’t it? I’ve made a “no NHL purchase” pledge which means I will have to get use to listening to Hab games on radio (No NHL Centre Ice this year for me). It will remind me of my youth listening on my small transistor radio in bed to the games in french as my parent thought I was asleep. Now mind you I did not speak or know one word of french but I could hear the Arena announcements and of course I could hear names during the broadcast. At least now I can listen to the games in English plus I’m now allowed to stay up late. :) CHeers.

———————————–

Sounds like you grew up in Canada Jim! That was my upbringing with the Habs as well, except Saturday nights i could watch on the French CBC broadcast while wearing my skates of course!

• this is my first Reply to anything on this website. I have been a fan since 1971. I grew up in rural Nova Scotia where we had 2 tv Channels. I could always tune in the French broad casts of the habs on radio. I to would hide in my bedroom under the blankets with my a.m. radio on. I understood a boat 100 words in French. That was enough to keep up. No need for center ice now as I get TSN Montréal and RDS. I agree with you in terms of no bying merchandise. Regards.

60. rhino514 says:

regarding Subban, I know they will sign him, but the key will be the term. If it´s not long term it´s an indication to me that PK isn´t convinced, for whatever reason, to stay in Mtl long term.

Or it could mean he has enough confidence in his abilities that he can then earn a larger contract and that the Habs also share this thought and just want to give him a bridge contract until that time. To me a 2 year deal does not in any way mean lack of faith in either side towards the other. It is both sides protecting their future.

• JF says:

A bridge contract is also exactly what the team did with both Pacioretty and Price. They are cautious, and would rather pay for proven performance than potential. It’s also why they gave Plekanec a one-year deal after his bad season, and Gorges a one-year deal after his knee surgery.

The other point in Subban’s case is that a bridge contract followed by a long one means they could protect him through what will likely be his peak performance years (the late twenties). If they signed him longterm now, he’d hit free agency before he reached 30.

• Habfan10912 says:

I agree. I think as an organization you set parameters around salaries and you stick to those. An organization should have a plan and it should not deviate from that. IMO, Patches and Price have set the bar here as far as term. The next contract should be one that satisfies PK’s needs for term.
        Morning by the way.

———————————–

• Ozmodiar says:

Let’s not forget these contracts were negotiated by the old regime. There’s a new sheriff in town.

Granted, Bergevin signed Eller to a 2 year deal, but that’s not the best comparable either…considering he has the potential to move into the top 6 within the next 2 years.

• Habfan10912 says:

Valid points Oz. I wonder if PK is given a long term if Carey and Patches will be a little peeved?

———————————–

• Ozmodiar says:

I doubt it. In the end, they got their fat contracts. :)

• habs-fan-84 says:

Or it’s an indication management does not want to sign him long term. Perhaps instead, they would like to see 1 or 2 more good seasons out of him before rewarding him with a long term contract.

• Cal says:

It’s the same approach used for Price, who is considered “the franchise.” Players will be overpaid by the Habs on their third contract, and not before.

So TSN/RDS both announcing Habs vs. Leafs opening night in Montreal on the 19th. Okay, despite not having huge expectations this season, I will be forced to make many wagers and watch this game at the sports bar up the street.

Colby Armstrong with the Gordie Howe hat trick on opening night? Then off to the Injured Reserve list for most of the season….

• Hobie Hansen says:

Two of the three are a possibility but I don’t think you’ll see him dropping the gloves because I think he’s about 0-5 in his career and none have them have even been close.

He’s got a knack for big hits and hopefully he can play a good shutdown role while popping in a few goals but fighting is definitely not his forte.

I agree Hobie, but you gotta remember, he has a huge burr in his saddle from Toronto telling him he couldn’t play anymore. I hope he plays Sat. night as he will be flying, I just hope he plays within himself. He did have some effective seasons prior to the concussion and high ankle sprains in Toronto along with broken fingers/hand as well. This extra time off should have helped him finally heal.

62. Mavid says:

Gave up on TSN a long time ago, common sense never gets posted, crap does..the mods there have been smokin the spice rack

63. rhino514 says:

I for one am looking forward to the season, because I think the team has put together an intriguing group of players. The post Halak team which went on to collect ninety-six points was a good team but also a clearly defined team. I know many people weren´t crazy about that group because there weren´t enough gritty players. To that I would say that clutch players and gritty players are not the same animal, and that team had clutch players, some of whom are still with the team.
    This team has glaring weaknesses on left wing at the top six and even the top nine position, but I can´t remember a team in recent memory with as many “maybes” as the current team. It makes, in my mind, for an interesting, intriguing, and joyful to watch season.
    Can anyone accurately predict how the seasons of Prust, Armstrong, Markov, or Eller will unfold? To this I would have added Leblanc before the ankle sprain, but he´s got a tougher hill to climb now. But even a kid like Gallagher could come up before the end of the season and surprise people. Heck, even Galchenyuk being on the team is not out of the question.
    Some guys on this list have alot of upside, and most can be solid contributors. Though it will be tough for most “maybes” to turn into solid performances, there is a chance it can happen, and if it does the team will be a good team and tough to beat. the one “maybe” that needs to be an absolute is Markov; he doesn´t have to have the point totals of old, but if he stays healthy and is a force on the PP and not a liability in his own end, this will greatly help the team. On the other extreme, Armstrong could well be finished, but it doesn´t really matter since he was added as a spare part.
    I also like that alot of the guys on this team would be tough to play against in the playoffs (if they make the playoffs), which is really the only thing that matters when you think about it. There are still players from the last playoff run who have that “never give up” mentality, and the new players who have been added are tough veterans and have playoff experience.
    It should be interesting to watch.

64. Captain aHab says:

Anybody else hear the Luongo rumour Pedneault was talking about last night on the Dawgs broadcast? He seemed to be presenting it as the actual deal. It was something like Luongo for Fratton, another player, a 2nd rounder and the Canucks would eat part of Luongo’s salary (which I didn’t realize they could do now). I imagine they’ll probably eat most of the salary for that return.
    —————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Bozak was the other player he mentioned.

I keep hearing how Florida is the other possible destination, but I can’t see Florida wanting that contract. Seems to me the only team that really wants to make a trade with Vancouver is Toronto. I do think this deal will happen. Burkie has been promising the moon and stars for years here in the GTA and is under duress. He finally gets the opportunity to trade salaries as well, so I think this deal goes down soon.

• Cal says:

From what understand, only 15% of that cap hit can be moved to the receiving team.
      If the laffs get Luongo, this will be Burke’s last stand. Success or the door. Too bad, too, because his about-faces have been fun to watch.

Just imagine if the trade is made, I can hear it now Burke introducing Luongo as the greatest goalie in hockey history. That press conference would be can’t miss.

• Bill says:

I think they can move 50% of the contract. The 15% number is the maximum their own pay-roll can consist of eaten contracts. So at a $70 million dollar cap, for example, a team can have a little over $10 million in money they are paying for other teams.

Full Breezer 4 Life

65. ooder says:

so I went on the tsn boards and read the comments about kovalchuk..now i’m pissed at the collective hockey fans..man how do they let the drivel on there…

——————
    The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

66. BrownHabFan says:

Reading up on what PK is looking for and how much of a bitch he’s acting like this seems super selfish…anybody else notice how Max Pac signed a 2 year deal intitially and then proved himself last season to get an extension? Anybody notice how Josh G signed a 1 year deal to see if he could prove himself and then did and got an extension…seriously? What has PK proved? That’s he’s got some skill when not taking selfish shots and never hitting the net, turning it over, and acting like a Darcy Tucker wanna be on the ice…oh correction Tucker would actually fight once in a while besides yap…if this keeps up we could trade this dumbass and reap the rewards of losing a cocky, loud mouth, arrogant kid who’s looking for an 8 year deal or a 1 year 5 million dollar deal? I just hope they don’t submit to this

I couldn’t really hear the words that Jeremy was saying because I got my 2 stanley cup rings plug in my ear

• ooder says:

pleks also had a one year deal after that crappy year he had

——————
      The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

• punkster says:

Clearly another well researched and formulated opinion.

If I were you I’d stand by this belief and don’t let anyone tell you you’re wrong….and if you happen to bump into a guy named nuna be sure to say hello from all of us.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• The Jackal says:

What are you talking about?
      The lockout is over and we already have the wild speculators.
      First it was the “controversy” about Markov playing a KHL game before coming back.

Now we have the PK Subban contract controversy. How is PK acting like a child? He’s an exuberant guy who likes the spotlight and he he has fun being there. He hasn’t made any negative or bad comments regarding his contract situation, we just know he is looking for long term – and why not? He is a great player and will only be better. It is such a good thing that for once, talented players like PK want to sign with Montreal for the long haul – I don’t get these comments that make PK seem like some petulant child, specially when he hasn’t done anything of the sort.

I for one hope we sign him to a long term deal. If we don’t, some other team will happily step up and offer PK a good deal. We’re lucky he wants to stay in Montreal for the long term. Signing him to a short term deal only means that in 2-3 years we will have to give him a big raise and he will probably be a UFA sooner.

So lets stop with these ridiculous and unfounded comments about PK and our players. It’s stuff like this that drives some players away from hockey crazed markets like Montreal. I’m glad we have Pac, Price, and PK for the foreseeable future.

Not all oysters produce pearls, thankfully, Price is a pearl producing oyster.

• Ian Cobb says:

You have no idea what your talking about with this rant.! And what is a Brown Hab Fan anyways??? It is red, white and blue my friend!

67. slapshot777 says:

Does anyone know when the revised schedule will be out.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

68. Philly-Poo says:

“Dominic Moore lost his wife, Katie, to liver cancer on Monday. She was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer in April. Moore left the Sam [sic] Jose Sharks in the first round of the playoffs to be with her and missed the team’s final two contests against St. Louis. He is currently an unrestricted free agent. We’d like to extend our deepest condolences to Dominic as well as Katie’s friends and family for their loss. Source: Tampa Tribune”

RIP Katie… Moore only played here for one year, but that still makes him a former Hab… Never read a bad thing about the guy (not that I can remember) Regardless… Sad news to happen to anyone…

• ooder says:

yup.. stuff like this makes pushing a rubber puck with a stick on the ice seem kind of irrelevant

——————
      The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

69. Propwash says:

Seeing that the deal is still up to voting, hypothetically speaking, this can all go down the tubes still?

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

• The Jackal says:

I don’t think so. The ratification process sounds like a formality, from what I’ve read. If this goes down the tubes at this stage, the damage to the NHL would be almost irreparable. I think after they reached the tentative deal, what was left were the legalese details. They agreed to play hockey already.

Not all oysters produce pearls, thankfully, Price is a pearl producing oyster.

70. patrice brisebois says:

Its time to go FULL BREEZER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

71. Shadows says:

Hamilton somehow… 0.o wins.

Not a super exciting team to watch yet they’re young; would like to see more hustle in Beaulieu too, he seems lethargic but passes well.

72. commandant says:

Strange goal for Dumont…. Dogs lead 2-1 in the last minute.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

73. frontenac1 says:

2-1 Dogs!

Goofy bounce and Dumont scores in last minute of game. Dogs win!

75. Bill says:

First??

YESSS

Full Breezer 4 Life

76. christophor says:

I don’t see a reason why both wouldn’t be serious candidates.

Though given that Tom was right about the issue being Luongo, and assuming he was also right about Nonis being on the ‘pro’ side, it could mean that Nonis has the inside track, yes.

77. Saintpatrick33 says:

I just don’t see Dudley moving back to toronto after he said he was excited to be working with Bergevin and the Habs.

78. christophor says:

Maybe, and I mentioned that, but I doubt he foresaw a looming vacancy at the GM position in Toronto.

79. Saintpatrick33 says:

Just hopeful thinking on my part I don’t want to lose any part of this management team before they have a chance to make their stamp on this team.

80. christophor says:

I think it makes sense, yes. But if it’s about Luongo, then the timing wasn’t planned; maybe they needed to get Burke out so they can still trade for Luongo before it’s too late.

Given what you say, Nonis will probably be interim GM at least. Maybe they’ll make it permanent but maybe they’ll undergo a drawn out or postponed search for the permanent GM.

81. Blondie says:

If it’s all about Luongo then that means that ownership wants improvement right now. That would preclude a long drawn-out search for a new GM IMO.