Habs players return to Brossard Wednesday

rinkweb

The Canadiens players will move their practice location from Candiac to the club’s practice facility on Wednesday, the same day NHL owners will cast ballots at a Board of Governors meeting in New York on the tentative new collective bargaining agreement. The players are expected to vote electronically on Thursday and Friday.

In Brossard, Canadiens players will be allowed to use the ice, gym and other facilities, but will not have access to coaches and training staff until the new CBA is ratified.

Training camps are expected to open Sunday and the league is planning a 48-game season to start on Jan. 19. Read more by clicking here.

Renaud Lavoie of RDS reported on Twitter Tuesday night that the Habs will open the season on Saturday, Jan. 19 at home against the Toronto Maple Leafs. Not a bad way to start things off.

With the start of the season coming up quickly, Craig Wong of The Canadian Press wonders if sponsors will put the NHL in the penalty box as a result of the lockout. Read that story by clicking here.

One of the Canadiens who skated in Candiac on Tuesday was Colby Armstrong, who signed with the club as a free agent during the summer after playing with the Leafs. His favourite team while growing up in Saskatoon was the Canadiens and one of the reasons he signed in Montreal is new coach Michel Therrien, who coached Armstrong in Wilkes-Barre in the AHL and later with the Pittsburgh Penguins.

“Obviously I’m familiar with him,” Armstrong told The Gazette’s Pat Hickey. “I don’t know if it’s an advantage, but we’ll see what sort of tweaks he’s made on his systems over the past few years. Everyone is starting fresh with a new coach. Me and Frankie Bouillon are the only ones who have had him in the past, but I think he knows how everyone plays.

“He was great,” Armstrong added. “I had him in the minors for three years and in Pittsburgh for almost three years. I learned a lot from him about how to play consistently and what it takes to get to the NHL. He pushed me when I needed to be pushed. I think my play was good for his style of coaching.”

You can read Hickey’s article on Armstrong by clicking here.

Another player who skated in Candiac Tuesday was Penguins defenceman Kris Letang. He flew to Russia last week with the intention of joining Ak Bars Kazan of the KHL, but the lockout was settled before he could play a game.

“I got as far as St. Petersburg and the people were nice and I had a four-day vacation,” Letang said.

Speaking of Russia, Alex Ovechkin made a quick return from his home country once he heard the lockout was settled and joined nine other Capitals on the ice Tuesday in Arlington, Va. He also joked with the media about his recent engagement to tennis player Maria Kirilenko, wearing a T-shirt that read, in Russian: “Am I really the prettiest one here, again?”

Read more by clicking here.

On a terribly sad note, HIO sends its condolences to former Canadien Dominic Moore and his family after his wife, Katie, died from liver cancer on Monday. She was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer in April. Moore finished last season with the San Jose Sharks. Read more by clicking here.

(Photo by Dave Sidaway/The Gazette)

1. VJ says:

Feels so good to actually be talking hockey and transactions as opposed to Lockout/CBA/Lawyer stuff!

2. Habs64 says:

Nonis traded for Luongo once before..

• nunacanadien says:

Toronto has never had a good goalie since the original six days or when the league was a bit smaller, and ever since they’ve sucked. Montreal which always had great goalies always won, but of late the team is way too small to protect one of the greatest goalies to come, Carey Price. Sadly this prize to the world or at least the media called him that, cannot realize his full potential because successive Habs Owners are hell bent on Americanizing the habs and destroying the habs in a way that not even Serge Savard could. The NHL board of governors listening to media and fans thought they were doing the habs a favour by including an amnesty buyout for Scott Gomez, but sadly, they were mistaken as Geoff Molson’s sole task is to finish sabotaging the habs.

3. Habhopeful says:

Im looking for a funny/creative/awesome trophy name for our Fantasy Hockey League, our trophy is a bowl.

I know some of you are way damn more creative than me so if anyone has any suggestions, id really appreciate it!!

Thanks!

4. VJ says:

For those worrying about Dudley moving, don’t! Dave Nonis is the new GM for the Laffs

5. Strummer says:

Apparently the new ownership of the Leafs was reviewing their budget for the coming year and were struck by the following item:

1 fat-headed executive with 4 years of failure to improve team- Cost: $3 million.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• nunacanadien says:

VS Coors USA finally coming to the realization that even with a profit, that Geoff Molson who has always had a hand in the management of the habs, is hell bent on screwing up the habs in a way not even Berkie on his worst day could ever screw up the laffs in comparison. Geoff Molson, the greatest anti-hab of all time in his support of Scott Gomez and these horrible contracts: Bourque, Kaberle, Markov et al.

6. rhino514 says:

On another note, anybody think Collberg could break out next year and become an elite player?
    the swedes make it so hard to gage young talents by never giving them quality minutes, i´ve never understood this.

• nunacanadien says:

Not as long as he plays for the habs. That is the last thing Molson wants, a contender to take away the light from his favorite hockey player Scott Gomez…..imagine that. The team’s goal this year is not score a goal in order to make it look like Scott Gomez is the greatest player of all time.

7. BJ says:

Nonis to be confirmed as next GM.

8. rhino514 says:

Re Galchenyuk: I agree that it is ALMOST impossible to screw up a kid by bringing him up early IF he has the talent to play at the NHL level.
    About the only way to do that is to bring up a kid and play him totally out of position.
    Unfortunately, that´s what the habs would have to do with Galy.
    If the team didn´t already have three good centres plus Gomez I´d say go for it. It´s just not the case.
    I would bring him up for a potential playoff run, after most of his season is done, to play on the wing, a la Subban a couple of years ago, but I don´t think this is possible with a junior player, someone correct me if i´m wrong.

9. Xsteve50 says:

Owner:..Burke…get me a goaltender
    Burke:..you have one…Luongo
    Owner:. ???? What the hell…he plays in Vancouver
    Burke:..oh…..did I forget to mention that..
    Owner…..YOUR FIRED

10. PrimeTime says:

McGuire is the obvious choice…..PLEASE!!!!!

11. punkster says:

McSplooge…please, please, please…let it be McSplooge.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

12. Propwash says:

Weird, and I was listening to Burke being interviewed last night on TSN 690 while listening to the Bulldogs game.

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

• Strummer says:

LOL- that Marlie loss to the last place Bulldogs was the final straw for Burkie!

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

13. Mattyleg says:

Owners: “Brian, do up your tie.”
    Burkie: “I will never do up my tie as long as I am GM of this club.”
    Owners: “Very well.”

—Hope Springs Eternal—

14. commandant says:

My piece on Burke, and some kicking of the Leafs while they are down.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

15. Newf_Habster says:

It is a great day for the Leafs world. Many of my Leafs friends and relatives hate Burke passionately.

Don Cherry once attacked him about the Leafs roster on Coach’s Corner last spring and he said the Leafs had no player from Ontario on their current roster at the time. Next day I did some research on the history of Leafs roster and I realized Cherry was so right. The 1967 Stanley Cup champion Leafs had 18 of their 24 players from Ontario.

BTW, the Leafs need to re-stock their youth so they could ask the Habs for a permission to talk to Trevor Timmins.

16. jols101 says:

I was just hoping the stumbling, mumbling, and bumbling mess that encompassed Brian Burke and the TML organization was going to last forever. What a let down.

17. Saintpatrick33 says:

Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when he got canned. I’m dying to know why he got the boot.

18. PrimeTime says:

If Habs have a poor short season, many “fans” will be seeking Burkie to take over. Bet on it!!

19. Habs64 says:

Mark Spector Sports ‏@SportsnetSpec

Sounds like Burke did NOT want to make Luongo deal, while many in Leafs org did. Burke a principled man

20. Strummer says:

I’m not sure if there was any recent tipping point regarding Burkie.

He’s just completed 4 years, makes $3 million a year and the Leafs are still spinning their wheels.

New ownership felt his time was up.

Besides he hired enough GM’s in waiting so they wont have to look far for a replacement.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

21. christophor says:

One more thing about Dudley.

I don’t see how he won’t be a serious candidate if Montreal allows Toronto permission (and I assume they will), but he did say something interesting in a few of his interviews after coming to Montreal that might suggest he’ll stay put:

It was something like how he didn’t want to move again but for the fact it was to work with Bergevin; he felt Bergevin would start something special in Montreal, like they both had in Chicago, and he wanted to be part of it.

Whether that’s enough to pass over a GM job in a market he’s already familiar with and probably comfortable in, who knows?

• TomNickle says:

He also said he felt the leafs were closer to serious contention than most. If he’s sincere in that assessment he could get a serious look.

Having said that, I find it hard to believe that MLSE would fire Burke and hand the job to one of his minions.

22. PrimeTime says:

It’s amazing that HIO posters get breaking hockey news everywhere BUT Hockey Inside/Out!!!

23. Habs64 says:

tsn
    Bizzare timing. Were up live on tsn RT @blakeprice1040: Holy crap, Burke helps convince Bettman about Cap Benefit Recapture then gets fired?

24. HabInToronto says:

Damn….I was enjoying watching him trade away draft picks….

25. Habs64 says:

Leafs press conf. on at 1:45 EST on TSN

26. Ozmodiar says:

Any truth to the rumour that Burkie’s Untied Tie will be retained by the Leafs in an advisory role?

27. Bripro says:

Job interview:
    So, Mr. Gainey, what can you offer us?
    Well I know of this thoroughbred we can probably pick up off waivers.
    He’s technically American, even though he was born north of the 49th parallel….

28. Old Bald Bird says:

Didn’t Burke represent the Leafs during negotiations? Sounds like some sort of recent squabble.

29. BJ says:

Press conference called for this afternoon by the Leafs.

30. PrimeTime says:

Nonis will be interim GM.

• D Mex says:

No doubt.
      That’s what occurred in Vancouver until he re-joined Burke in Anaheim.
      The suggestion below by Tommy 2¢ of a power struggle between Burke and Nonis is ridiculous.

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

• TomNickle says:

Over Luongo? I’d be willing to put money on it.

Who acquired Luongo in Vancouver?

What’s the near unanimous reason for Burke’s firing? Luongo. Why? Cuz Burke didn’t want him. Gee, I wonder who in the Leafs organization did want him? Perhaps the guy who has acquired him once already with a different organization.

If by absurd or ridiculous you mean likely, then I agree.

• D Mex says:

By absurd I mean that you are an arrogant ass.
          Is that clear enough ?

ALWAYS Habs -
          D Mex

• D Mex says:

Block

ALWAYS Habs -
            D Mex

• TomNickle says:

I’m not more arrogant for posting my opinions and thoughts than you are for doing the same.

Have a good day.

• D Mex says:

It’s not what you post as much as the manner and tone with which you do it. But you already know this because, well, you’re you.

ALWAYS Habs -
            D Mex

• TomNickle says:

I’m arrogant for the tone with which I post by you aren’t for thinking you can deduce the kind of tone I’m trying to convey in a written message?

Like I said, have a nice day.

• D Mex says:

This is me laughing at you panicking for the last word – the ‘ definitive ‘ word, one last time.
            ” Like I said ” … give it up and let the dog post.

ALWAYS Habs -
            D Mex

31. BJ says:

I don’t know if the rumor that he was trading for Luongo and sending Frattin, Bozak and a 2nd choice has anything to do with it? Luongo is barely worth a second choice.

• Saintpatrick33 says:

Vancouver doesn’t think so they want quite a bit for him.

• TomNickle says:

Leafs would be wise to give up that package for Luongo.

Bozak’s ceiling is 3rd line centreman, Frattin MIGHT end up being a top six forward.

Luongo is a hall of fame goaltender and still a very good goalie.

• Saintpatrick33 says:

Exactly despite his implosion against the Booins in the finals he’s still a great goalie.

• BJ says:

Ultimately its about winning the final game. He’s playing for a very good team in Vancouver and could not nail down the last one. Schneider in Vancouver’s opinion is the one they want to keep, so if Luongo is not the best goalie in Vancouver how does he become so valuable for a non playoff team like Toronto. I think he’s done.

• TomNickle says:

For the Leafs it isn’t about winning the final game, it’s about making the playoffs. And 29 GM’s would probably rather have Luongo than Reimer contract be damned.

• Luke says:

Luong not worth a second? Are we talking the Loungo with the Olympic Gold Medal, made it to Game 7 of the Stanely Cup finals, the World JR Gold medal, the World Championships… the guy of the .920 Save%?

That guy? If so, I’d agree. Not worth a second. Wortha helluva lot more…