Habs play game of baseball on ice in Carolina

The Canadiens prepared for their final game of 2013 with a friendly game of baseball on ice during Monday’s informal practice in Carolina as they got ready to face the Hurricanes on New Year’s Eve (7 p.m., RDS, TSN Radio 690).

The team captained by Alex Galchenyuk won the game.

The Canadiens were coming off a 4-1 loss to the Panthers Sunday night in Florida and The Gazette’s Pat Hickey asked Michel Therrien after Monday’s practice if he had lost his coach’s handbook, wondering if a bag skate might have been in order instead of a game of baseball on ice.

“What is important I believe is the spirit of the hockey team … make sure for us a coaching staff to bring a good atmosphere with the players,” Therrien said. “Last night everyone was frustrating. We believe that there was two goals they should have allowed and the players were frustrating, the coaching staff the same thing. We were all disappointed and we thought this morning was a good time to play a little game and have a lot of fun. I think the guys got a lot of fun today.”

Therrien added that it’s a long season and that “they’re all big games.”

“(The Hurricanes are) fighting to make the playoffs and us it’s the same thing, we’re part of a group that wants to make the playoffs,” the coach said. “Every game in the NHL, they’re all demanding, they’re all tough to play.”

After the New Year’s Eve game, the Canadiens travel to Dallas to face the Stars on Thursday night, then return home to play the Ottawa Senators Saturday at the Bell Centre.

(Photo by John Kenney/The Gazette)

Canadiens vs. Hurricanes preview, NHL.com

Game notes, carolinahurricanes.com

Practice designed to boost team spirits, by Pat Hickey

Mr. Baseball, Canadiens.com

Baseball on ice video, Canadiens.com

Price has earned starting job in Sochi, by Jack Todd

Defensive breakdowns cost Canadiens, by Pat Hickey

Markov, Emelin have terrible night on blue line, by Pat Hickey

Canadiens vs. Panthers photo gallery, montrealgazette.com

1. Bogie Man says:

Fucale’s stock value is going up by the minute.

2. Storman says:

Coach Berenson of Michigan playing in Alumni game at 74 years young.

PP Canada. Let’s ice this one.

4. Et le but says:

Team Canada absolutely dominating since the middle of the 2nd period.

Anyone wish to revise their prediction on where we’ll finish in the tournament?

5. twilighthours says:

Mantha can really dominate a game when he wants to.

That PP was incredible, just the way you draw it up.

Sam Reinhart is something special. So smart.

Bo Horvat is unimpressive.

• habstrinifan says:

I am fast dveloping a stable of cool players for when I become an agent.

Gallagher. Hudon. Bournival. Crisp… and now Sam Reinhart. Notice one theme… All but one is a HABS.

Don’t worry I’m working on getting Reinhart.

I wonder if DD could help this junior squad.

7. CH Marshall says:

wonder if Stephane Waite is over in Malmo helping Fucale

8. Storman says:

By the way Maple Leafs can have Gauthier, not too impressed, making a deal with Detroit to move up to select Mantha would have been nice though

9. Storman says:

He SCoresssssssssssssss,,,,,,,,,Et Le BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

10. Et le but says:

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Jocko says:

Thanks le but. I was at that site earlier but darn IT, ha ha, blocking downloads!

12. Et le but says:

How big is the Fucale stop on the shorthanded chance?

13. Storman says:

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

14. Psycho29 says:

It’s a dream come true for CBC right now, they get to air TWO Maple Loaf games back to back in the same afternoon!

15. Storman says:

Lazar went down pretty easy there

16. Jocko says:

Looking desperately for a live feed of the game I can access. Anyone?

17. Storman says:

Canada has recovered from the first period and has adjusted somewhat to the Americans speed, sure glad i am not watching this game in Wisconsin with my friends because its been along time since I have seen a team skate Canada in circles like that for 25 minutes. Americans National Development program and USHL starting to pay dividends year after year big time.

18. Storman says:

Really Really hated that penalty by Derrick Pouliot
    what was he thinking

19. Ghosts of the Forum says:

De La Rose and Fucale are making that second round look pretty great for the Habs…

20. twilighthours says:

This is a great game!

21. Lagerhab says:

fak! Lets kill this

22. krob1000 says:

Everyone saying that Phaneuf contract means pk in 8-10 territory? I thought the DIon deal was a good thing and meant Pk should be around the same? I know we like to bash Phaneuf but he is a UFA with yars of stts backing him, he also had outrageous numbers offesnively when he was young too. I think if Phaneuf gets 7 million…then PK should be around 7 if going long term. Maybe 7.5 given the Montreal factor that always seems to escalate value bu twhen I saw Dion deal I thought that pretty much clinched that Pk would not get 8.

23. Et le but says:

Team Canada pushing the pace, taking control of the game

24. Lagerhab says:

penalty US, lets get one here boys!!

25. krob1000 says:

is arturri lehkonen hurt

26. mrhabby says:

suck it yanks.

27. wild flower says:

Canada is a gong show in the defensive zone…but, they just scored in ozone.

28. Et le but says:

Heart and determination…the Canadian X factor!!!

29. Lagerhab says:

Scores!!!!!

30. Lagerhab says:

Another post grrrr,

31. Lagerhab says:

that Pouliot is soff

32. mrhabby says:

fing yanks…

33. Lagerhab says:

US scores – 1-0

34. wild flower says:

Fucale has been good, but that was not.

35. Et le but says:

Is the American goalie related to Clark?

36. DipsyDoodler says:

Say PK only wants to sigh a 1 year deal and test free agency.

You reluctantly agree to trade him to a team that can convince him to sign for 8 years.

That team is the NY Rangers. Perfect destination for PK. He’d be a superstar in NYC. Sather has no problem tossing money around.

So: PK for McDonagh, Kreider and two number one picks.

Yes or no?

Remember you have no choice but to trade him.

(I don’t think he wants to do that by the way.)

37. sweetmad says:

Does anybody else think that Fucale has been watching Carey or talking to Waite,some of his saves have looked very Careyish,but he looks like he will be challenging Carey in a few years.Hudon is a worker really like him,I know he is too small.
    GO HABS GO

38. habs001 says:

Team Canada looks like it is build for small ice hockey..Lot of the large players are looking too stiff and are having real problems passing or picking up a pass..

39. Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

Yanks are relentless. Like Canada was so long ago…sigh.

TSN is not broadcasting the game online?

41. Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

US goalie is a rebound machine. Gotta exploit that.

42. SlovakHab says:

Happy 2014, everybody in da house!!

It’s 3:55am on Jan 1st in Australia.

Just got home, in time to wish HIO community all the best. Argue with you in the new year!!

Slovak Aussie Hab

43. Hobie Hansen says:

Fuclae with the Roy like glove save!

44. Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

Uh-oh, Yanks on the PP and Canucks have been terrible. On the PK…

45. CJ says:

A quick thank you to the entire group for allowing me to join the club, to exchange thoughts and feelings regarding a shared topic in which we all hold a vested interest. That said, I feel like I could spend the entire day putting out fires. There seems to be so much negativity and frankly, a series of misinformation passed off as fact. I sincerely hope I have not come across as arrogant or abrasive. My fondness for this team has grown over the years and transcends language and political divides. Am I blind? No. But I do believe that this organization is headed in the right direction. I have had the pleasure of sharing my passion with my beautiful wife and our two young sons. I have had the pleasure of visiting nearly every NHL arena and have season tickets in Montreal. Folks, there is nothing like the feeling of watching the Canadiens step on the ice and to hear their (our) fans react. Whether in Detroit, Phoenix or in Montreal, it is something to behold. I look forward to sharing, openly, in this public forum and wish you all the very best in the New Year. Sincerely, CJ

46. Et le but says:

Team USA is good…
    Fucale will have to be very good if we want to win here; great hockey!

47. habsfan0 says:

Apparently,Nazem Kadri might be on the trading block.
    He has been a lifelong Habs fan,but I’m not sure if i’d like to see him in bleu,blanc et rouge.

48. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Everybody is talking about MT but maybe the coach that needs to be looked at is Sylvain Lefebvre. He has been given a boatload of D prospects and none are playing with the Habs. If one of them can’t crack this line-up of Diaz, Boullion and Murray, there is a problem. He will need to go before these prospects lose any more development time.

• Timo says:

Actually, the person that needs to be looked at is Marc Bergevin. He’s been a GM for over 1 1/2 years now and there is little to no improvement for this team. And not whole lot to look forward too.

• Mavid says:

no improvement? Your kidding right?

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• Timo says:

I am not kidding. Is this team any different from what we witnessed the end of last season and playoffs? Does their play inspire any more confidence in you than before? If yes, you are in for a world of disappointed as playoffs near.

That combined with less than inspiring development of what we all thought were great defense prospects in A makes me say that Bergevin hasn’t improved this team in a slightest.

• punkster says:

Ah but you said little or no improvement over 1 1/2 years.

If your whine was based on the past 6 months you may have a point but over 1 1/2 years things are infinitely better.

We’re behind last years 40 game mark with 3 fewer wins but ahead of 2 years ago (edit 1 1/2)with 7 more wins…a year and a half and considerably better.

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
            but…
            ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

• Mavid says:

yes it is different..we are healthier I am not sure any senario would make you happy..I am more of a glass half full kinda gal..I wait till it actually happens rather than anticipate the disappointment.. even the Juniors you have already decided they will win Bronze..if they stay out of the box, they can compete and beat any of the top teams..I think the only thing we agree on is our hate for the Turds ..BTW I am going to the game on Saturday section 111 I will wave to you

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• frontenac1 says:

We’ve got a Heavy Weight Enforcer now Timo. Ok, he is frequently out with a conky but still…..Saludos!

• mrhabby says:

t…. whats our record to date with MB and MT something like a .636% since they took over just saying.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

You have to give him a little more time; at least three seasons. His second season is not over yet. This off-season will be huge. If the Habs get man-handled in the playoffs again and PK does not sign long term, it will get very ugly.

• Timo says:

Yeah, sure. More time again. First give more time to Savard, then to Bobo Gainey, then to the goat, now to Bergevin. I don’t know how long all of you are planning to live, but I’d like to see Habs win the cup in my lifetime.

• Mark C says:

I don’t buy this at all. I think the D prospects are being intentionally kept in Hamilton for they’re development. Pateryn is certainty playing well enough to offer an option. Think this is just a case of management preferring to let the prospects fully develop instead of rushing them to the NHL where they would at best, offer only a slight marginal improvement over what is currently in the lineup.

49. Arnou Ruelle says:

Judging by how PK Subban contract talks will turn out come off-season, I think the asking price will be in between the $8-10 million/yr. The question is, how many years will be?

My guess: $8 million to $9+ million a year and probably a 6-7 year contract.

So if Canada wins in regulation they will play Switzerland, if they lose to the US or win in overtime they face Russia (this is based on the assumption that Finland beats the Swiss).

Man, can anyone imagine where Habs would have been if they had half the injuries Pitts has? Becuase I remember back in Oct/Nov I was told “wait until they are all healthy, we have injuries, once they are back to the full roster they will kick some rear end”.

Boy, if this is what full roster looks like in December…

• jimmy shaker says:

I remember that……..Also I remember with Emelin in the lineup, this was a different team, a better team, and they did show that, but for some reason now, they have kind of flat lined and can’t score. Time for the egg line to reunite, and marky to move back with PK and MAB to slide in quietly and replace Diaz.

Shaker out!

• Hobie Hansen says:

I think we’re seeing exactly what one would expect with the Habs right now with a 100% healthy team. We’ve got a great goaltender and there’s plenty of special teams play in the regular season.

We have trouble scoring 5 on 5 but that can be overcome with a good PP and PK. Things will be different in the playoffs when the penalties are slashed in half or even more.

The Habs will come out flying in the playoffs, maybe face a team with some injures and win a round or maybe even two on pure adrenalin. When the playoffs drag on and the games become tougher and tighter the Habs will have problems, as history and basic hockey knowledge will demonstrate.

They need to make a trade for more physicality with a scoring punch up front if they want to change that.

• Timo says:

I don’t buy that Habs will be flying anywhere. Before or during playoffs. If this team manages to make playoffs they will be soundly shut down and bounced out in the first round by ANY team in the east.

• Mustang says:

I went to a game at the Bell Center in mid November and the line of Gally – Eller – Gall was by far the most exciting line on the ice. I think that they received all 3 stars that night. It seems like it may be time to unite that threesome and let the rest of the forwards work out their problems on their own. I also wouldn’t mind seeing Markov reunited with PK.

52. habsfan0 says:

PK must be one happy camper today seeing what just transpired in Toronto.
    His parents finally got Hydro back.

You people shall not worry because come playoffs time Habs will flick on that magic switch.

54. JUST ME says:

It`s official a done deal, the cone has signed for 7 years 49 mil in Taranna.

What a bad deal ,they will regret it probably in two years or so. Not that we do not have our part of bad deals but G.MS are so afraid to try and change what did not give results. They are comfy with what they have and won`t move.
    I guess it`s only the fans that would like real changes and a different scenario.
    I do not care about the Leafs and will be the first to enjoy when Phaneuf hits the predictable wall but in MTL we should not follow the same path . We have a good core of youngsters, we should get the most of what we have otherwise to build something with new faces new hopes.

55. DipsyDoodler says:

That’s quite a lot for Phaneuf. The Leafs had no choice I guess but I like exactly nothing about Dion Phaneuf.

• habsfan55 says:

Good move Nonis….keep the Pylon for 7 more years….love it

habs fan but will cheer for any team that beats the leafs

• The_Truth says:

He’s actually a good defenseman and having a nice year. He’s very physical, has good offensive abilities and can be pretty good defensively playing top minutes in all situations. 6 million would have been more like it, but for an impending UFA, that is what it took. Especially one who is 28 years old looking for his big deal. There just are not a lot of guys like him around and no way the Leafs could afford to lose him.

• CH Marshall says:

put it this way, the Leafs are helping their rivals by committing to icing a pylon for games, plus throwing away cap space. I hope they trade away Kadri , just like how they got rid of Grabo

• The_Truth says:

The “pylon” has a better +/- than any Habs player, on a lot less structured and defensive team. I would love to have him paired with Subban.

• dr. gesundheit says:

Sometimes the truth doth hurt. (especially when referring to a Loaf) I would expect that if he was a Hab we would be hoping he settles for 6 but would probably accept 7.

Re Kadri…(go ahead and hurl the invective)…it would be great if he signed with the Habs…imagine his motivation to be a pain in the a__ for the Leafs.

• frontenac1 says:

Oh God. The Princess a Hab? Feel Shame amigo. +- means squat when you are regularly outshot by 2 or 3 times each game. The guy is voted the most over rated player in the league by his peers. Way to go Nonis!

56. WindsorHab-10 says:

Pretty sure I’m not telling you anything new but Michel Therrien is full of crap.

57. rhino514 says:

Diaz is a tough decision. Many have taken it as a quasi-fact that he will get a raise and be back next season.
    The truth is, though I think some of the promise he held has faded, he is still a better sixth pairing D going into next year than anyone else we have.
    The only interesting thing is, let´s say Pateryn does ok and he and Diaz hold down the sixth spot. That pretty much puts Beaulieu (and Tinordi, to a lesser extent) on hold.
    I would sign Diaz for one year, but I don´t know if he would accept that. If he doesn´t go for it then you are looking at putting two rokkies in the top six which isn´t feasible.
    Feel free to interchange Beaulieu with Pateryn, though I think we need Pateryn´s size and maturity more for next year.

• Steeltown Hab says:

If Diaz walks it won’t hurt us. Just deal him, if we can get a 3rd or better at the deadline I’m satisfied

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• Timo says:

I remember how everyone was gashing about Habs not re-signing Streit. Sheesh… does anyone miss him? Same will be the case with Diaz. That “offensive upside” that people bring up is nowhere to be seen. He can’t move the puck out of the zone, he hasn’t scored and I don’t remember the last time his shot actually hit the net (as opposed to the opposition player’s shin pads).

• Steeltown Hab says:

Because he’s soft and displays some flair doesn’t make him an offensive defensemen. He’s just hovers below average in every sense of the game.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• Habfan17 says:

I don’t see it as a tough decision. Diaz should go and he was not a Bergevin signing. The Habs Defence needs to add some size and grit.
      They have Beaulieu and Tinordi coming on the left side. Pateryn, Nygren and Dietz are righties! Boullion should not be resigned and Murray may not be. Unless Bergevin can trade for a 2nd pairing right defenceman with size and grit, I believe he should let Diaz go via trade etc and if need be, sign a righty UFA if he does not think that Pateryn or Nygren are not ready.

Seeing how well Markov is doing, rsigning him to a 2 year home discount if he will take it would be great. That still leaves Gorges and Emelin as left defenceman and would put Gorges on the 3rd pairing. Probably the best place for him. Put Emelin with Pk on the first pair, then Markov with Nygren if he is ready, and Gorges with Pateryn and sign a veteran for depth. Plus they have Drewiskie!

Habfan17

So…. are we going to be treated to more Diaz-Bouillon combo? I don’t know about you but I loved it the last 2 games.

And how about some new lines? I think Michael Therrien hasn’t really changed his lines much for the past 2 games or so. Il est temps. Otherwise, god forbid, players will get used to each other.

I look forward to Habs finishing 2013 on a high note – 2 goals for the Habs tonight with Emelin improving to -3 on the night.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Sounds realistic. The fact that Therrien just watches Emelin struggle and doesn´t move him to the left where he instantly would play much, much better says a lot about this coach.

59. habs_54321 says:

Hamilton still struggling not much development from the kids is it soon time for a system/coaching change down there?

• CJ says:

Respectfully, I couldn’t disagree more. Having watched a number of games this year, I am pleased to report that there has been a steady progression. Most notably, Greg Pateryn has taken a big step forward. I have also really like Mogan Ellis of late. I think Dietz can play in the NHL and Tinordi still projects to be a solid, physical presence on the back end. Nattinen has impressed me with his solid play in all three zones and Stephan Fournier is getting better each week. You must appreciate that the composition of the team is very young. It is not easy to immerse 6 defencemen under the age of 23 into a professional league at the same time. Hamilton is coming off of wins against Toronto, a solid team with a greater compliment of veterans. Now that Mayer is gone, I like the goaltending a lot better. Condon, was a great acquisition who has helped to solidify our depth. I have always been high on Tokarski since the WJC in Ottawa, and he has been among the league leaders. Lastly, Louis Leblanc is generating some offense and may yet become that three zone player who would fit on a third line in the NHL.

• Habfan17 says:

Thanks for this update! I am glad that Nattinen is looking better. He had a 64% winning face off percentage when they drafted him. He also has size. I am hopeful for Fournier and always liked Pateryn.
        I think over time Dietz will be a better all round defenceman than Beaulieu!

Habfan17

• CJ says:

Beaulieu has exceptional talent and, by extension, has the highest ceiling of any Canadiens prospect. I have watched him play live and have been left with the impression that I have been in the presence of greatness, reminicsent of Bryan Fogarty circa Niagra Falls Thunder. Regrettably, I have also watched him struggle with his decision making and reads, which leads me to believe that the game is still too fast at times. With all prospects one must exercise patience. I believe Beaulieu can and should be an impact player, it will just take time.

60. Storman says:

Craig Button makes me nauseous,

61. Arnou Ruelle says:

Just listened to a recorded Georges Laraque interview on the Montreal Forum at TSN 690. Its interesting that he said that George Parros is not a striker but more of a wrestler/grappler. That interview was done back in Sept. 2013.

3 months later and 2 concussions incurred by Parros due to fighting, the Habs are now faced with a conundrum of having this enforcer come back. It makes me think if Bergevin did the right moves last off-season in signing both Parros and Briere.

• habs_54321 says:

Parros has already done his job, if it had not been him fighting those battles it would have been Prust, he saved Prust from a lot of unnecessary early season blows.

• Arnou Ruelle says:

You’re right. Judging from the last fight, he clinched with Eric Boulton and rarely landed a punch.

I do agree with Laraque also that many enforcers in the NHL are not that scarred to face Parros. His age and his style is so predictable that he’s not fit to protect our players!

It seems that only Prust and Moen are the ‘only’ players that do fight against players. And they are small compared to enforcers who are 6’3″+ in height.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Parros has done his job. He handled Colton Orr easily. It is not his fault Orr cowardly pulled him down to the ice.

The Briere signing was like pouring gasoline on a fire (the DD contract). MB is going to regret that scene in 24CH where he states “we need to get bigger”…yeah right.

62. Steeltown Hab says:

Trust my judgement people, was praying for the habs to draft De la Rose even made it my facebook status the day before draft day.

Will be a fan favourite in MTL.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

63. Storman says:

Andrei Vasilevski, NHL Ready, great ffffff goalie, another big goalie for Tampa

64. Storman says:

Jacob de la Rose big frame big body , scoring with some nice hands from right in front of the grill of the Vasilevski.

65. 1010 says:

A Hab does it.

GO HABS GO.

66. boonie says:

de la Rose on the Forsberg line, puts Sweden up 3-2. Ferraro heaping the love on this kid.

67. Hobie Hansen says:

De La Rose (6’2″) with a huge goal for Sweden!!!

68. --Habs-- says:

Who are the Habs playing tonight? Anyone intersting or another ropey dope, put me to sleeper. I have to stay up until midnight and watchin the Habs isn’t the best starting point in accomplishing that feat!

“Habs” Watch and learn….! Or Not!

69. 1010 says:

Button has finally calmed down. “Men vrs. boys.“ “Too skilled for the Russians.“ He gushed for two periods. I thought it was Bowen calling a leaf game. Sweden is very good but I guess that is why they play the games. You never know. Russia is the best rope-a-dope team of all time.

Griffin Reinhart should help make a difference today.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Let’s hope, he wasn’t impressive at all for a 4th overall pick last year. A year of development should be a big help though.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

71. Storman says:

Russia showing a pretty good blue print on how to beat Sweden, stay out of the box which they did not do early and fell behind 2-0,, get some great goaltending which they have from 1st round pick of Tampa #19 overall 6’4 Andrei Vasilevski, stay in the game, withstand Sweden constant early attack, and then get a late goal, 2-2,,,,

72. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I can’t really blame MT for the 5 on 5 play as he is doing the best he can with what was given to him. He did not sign DD, Briere, Boullion etc. I actually like the line-ups the way they are now. It best distributes size/skill. All he has to do is bench veterans more often for Bournival when they perform poorly. There should be no tolerance…one bad game and out.

I do blame him however for the powerplay. There is no excuse for a poor powerplay when you have Markov and Subban at the point. Either the scheme is poor or the forwards are not doing the job. They need a forward to play the Kovalev/Cammalleri role. Chucky is the most obvious candidate to do this…don’t understand why he is not getting more PP time.