Habs pass equipment smell test thanks to ‘Steamer’

Anyone who has ever played hockey at any level – or lived with someone who plays hockey – knows how bad hockey equipment can smell.

But the Canadiens equipment passes the hockey smell test thanks to Pierre “Steamer” Ouellette, the assistant to team equipment manager Pierre Gervais.

Ouellette’s work includes tossing the players’ sweat-soaked jerseys, socks and undergarments into industrial washing machines in his office. And for a man who deals with hockey apparel and equipment, and plays pickup hockey in his personal life, Ouellette possesses a fortunate trait.

“I smell nothing anymore,” Ouellette told The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell. “I have no more sense of how hockey equipment stinks or whatever. I’m totally immune to it.”

Ouellette was the focus of a feature story in this week’s Hockey Inside/Out section, published in The Gazette on Thursday.

Here’s a link to stories to keep you busy as we wait for the puck to drop tonight in Buffalo (7 p.m., RDS, TSN-HABS, TSN 690 Radio):

(Photo by Marie-France Coallier/The Gazette)

‘Steamer’ helps Habs pass smell test, by Brenda Branswell

Lack of execution hurt Habs against Bruins, by Pat Hickey

Not a classic Habs-Bruins matchup, by Dave Stubbs

Habs vs. Bruins game report, by Pat Hickey

Habs vs. Bruins photo gallery

There are some big Bruins fans in Montreal, by Stu Cowan

Bruins surge past Canadiens, by The Boston Globe

Price’s masks raise $27,398 for charities, by Dave Stubbs

Sabres GM Darcy Regier has seen it all over 16 years, by Pat Hickey

Regier says any Sabres moves won’t include Ruff, by The Buffalo News

Let the speculation on Canada’s Olympic hockey team begin, by The Canadian Press

1. FelicitasWagone says:

Hi there! This post couldn’t be written any better! Reading through this post reminds me of my old room mate! He always kept talking about this. I will forward this article to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read. Many thanks for sharing!

Visit my blog; midsummer

2. constructionus says:

It is a wonderful platform where developers can publish their applications without much in the way of startup costs and grow their hockeyinsideout about on Here at Shifra Construction NYC we specialize, in entire home reworking which includes rest room and kitchen remodeling, floor, interior layout and many extra reworking products and services. Our project is to offer customized products and services by way of our professional structure nyc team of workers. Our contractor nyc can assist you with every stage of your next house remodeling mission from the design to the deploy. .

3. HNS says:

Too bad they didn’t pass the smell test last nite.

4. VancouverHab says:

For HabsFan72:
    You wrote the following, about my judgement against DD as a legitimate first line NHL centre:
    “Have you considered cheering for another team? If you think they promote French players ahead of others, surely you should not support them. Ethically it would be wrong and such a team would be doomed to lose forever in any case.”

I disagree with this. I love the French character of our team’s history and present identity. I speak and write functional French: heck, I proudly have a picture of myself convivially among the anti-Cunny language protest outside the Cente Bell last season.

I think that reasonable steps should be taken proactively to nurture that part of our culture. I just think that keeping DD on the first line is not a reasonable step in that regard.

PS: I left out your anti-conservative slur–a man with a Nietzsche avatar would be only strangely among the liberal!

• Loonie says:

HH made the point earlier that Eller is to DD as Price was to Halak. It summed up perfectly how I’ve felt about these two in comparison since it began.

The talent level in Eller is significantly higher than it is in Desharnais.

Not believing Desharnais possesses an excellent skill set isn’t an indictment of him and also isn’t a reason to be ostracized from the wild group of fans we’re a part of.

Edit: I believe Desharnais gets the maximum out of what he has and admire him for it. I believe when we get the most out of Eller he’ll be a notably better player.

5. Brain of J says:

Does anyone have connections to get some cheap tickets in Tampa, heading to the game with the dam fam next Tuesday?? Thanks

6. Gally27 says:

Is Price confirmed as starter yet?
    Not per www2.dailyfaceoff.com/starting-goalies/ as of yet.

7. BJ says:

What do Yannick and Shea Weber have in common other than a last name? Shea 9 games zero points 14 year 110 million contract. Our Weber 1 game zero points and a hell of a lot less money.

8. BJ says:

After watching about 20 Hamilton Bulldog games I was seriously doubting Leblanc’s capacity to come back to the NHL. He scored twice last night and here’s hoping he can use those goals as a confidence builder for scoring more regularly. Beaulieu looking better and better, he will one day replace Markov. Others that seem to be progressing are Tinordi and Dumont.

hopefully much of his confidence was related to the bad ankle. He hopefully will develop into a solid NHL’er, I don’t think he will be top 6 but a very effective 3rd line player.

• jols101 says:

Your post made me go the the AHL homepage to check things out. I was following the Bulldogs closely until the lockout ended and have since totally forgotten about them. lol. Funny thing – Eberle and Schultz still lead the league in points. I think Tinordi will be the first call up if a Dman is injured. Up front, probably Dumont or Blunden.

9. HabFanSince72 says:

I went to the casino the other day. Above the roulette wheel they displayed the last few winning numbers. If I had just bet on the last 4 numbers in succession, reinvesting my winnings each time, I’d have made $1.5 million dollars.

All from a $1 investment.

You could become a millionaire in ten minutes at the casino.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

10. Mattyleg says:

In Mother Russia, You Scratch Coach.
    – Kovalev

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Computer question. Out of nowhere, my question mark key on my keyboard has changed into É. Help!

12. bleedhabs81 says:

I was reading the Lack of Execution article and browsed some of the comments below.

Somebody is actually dumb enough to blame goaltending… saying what do we expect when we don’t have a goalie. Really?

I haven’t seen much naysaying on here lately? Is there anyone else that has been displeased with Prices 0.970 S% at 5-5 (up until last night)? Or his sub 2.00 GAA?

13. chanchilla says:

more loonie inside out today i see, better come back later.

A few quick thoughts about the Habs draft picks this summer.

Without the Kipper, Calgary could really tumble this season. I figure that Montreal and Nashville have a 50-50 chance of making the playoffs. For discussion sake, let`s say the Habs just squeeze in and Nashville narrowly falls short.

Montreal`s 1st rounder = 20th
    Calgary`s 2nd rounder = 33rd
    Nashville`s 2nd rounder = 44th
    Montreal`s 2nd rounder = 50th

Last year I did an informal study of 2nd round picks going back about a dozen years. Around 25% of those 2nd rounders go on to be regular NHLers. Of course some of them become front line players. Many are never heard of again.

AK is in Russia and Gill has been replaced by a cheap UFA. Cammy might have brought a 1st rounder but the 2nd rounder is still there along with Bourque. With a high Calgary pick, plus Timmins`record, let`s take the liberty of making those 2nd round odds one in three. That means Montreal might just get to add another Tinordi as well as a future regular NHLer from the 2nd round. That would give Montreal 6 really decent prospects moving into next season (1st rounder, one of three 2nd rounders, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Collberg and Leblanc).That would be a good group of young players to eventually add to the young nucleus that is presently on the Hab roster.

• habsnyc says:

No argument. But the two extra second round picks do not meaningfully impact the story. If a second round pick has a 25% chance of being an NHL player, than two seconds is a 50% chance of an NHL player. If that player is drafted in 2013 and takes three years to develop we are talking about a 50% chance of a player on the 2016 roster.

The other problem is that the more picks you get, the more you revert to the mean. If Timmons has a 33% success rate in the second round relative to the average 25% success rate, then it becomes harder for him to maintain that above average success rate with each pick he makes in the same round in the same year. If he made all 30 picks he would have only a 25% success rate. Each pick lowers his success rate. Though he ends up with more potential players. I think the marginal value of incremental second round picks is lower not higher.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• Habfan17 says:

Instead of looking at the percentage of second round picks across the board, that become meaningful players, look at Timmin’s history of 2nd round picks and where they are!

Habfan17

• habsnyc says:

How many second round picks has Montreal made since he joined in 03? If you looked at that you would realize that he has not made enough picks to evaluate his success relative to the league. Anyway, I agreed that Timmons is a better than average scout.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• Habfan17 says:

Don’t forget that the draft lottery applies to allteams now and there is no limit as to how far up you can move! So the Habs may finish the season with the 20th overall pick and end up with a top 3!
      It won’t change their subsequent picks, but they will still have the other two 2nd rounders and with Timmin’s success in the second and later rounds, I would not discount his ability to find a gem or two! This is supposed to be the deepest and best draft in many years.

With the new cap next season, I would keep the picks and look to see what free agents become available to fill any holes.

Habfan17

15. Un Canadien errant says:

Bill Simmons on how we can’t be wide-eyed fans anymore, how an ‘unbelievable’ return like Adrian Peterson’s, or ‘miraculous’ returns from injuries that are invariably season ending (Ray Lewis and his torn triceps, Terrel Suggs and his torn Achilles tendon), until this season, when a player can now return after a few weeks out, are now cause for reasonable suspicion.

I’m skeptical in another way now. When I see a formerly dominant player have a great year, and subsequent off year, my spidey senses tingle, especially when the good year was a contract year.

———————————————————————–

• habsnyc says:

I’m not skeptical I am certain. A meaningful percentage of athletes at every level from high school to pros to beer leagues take PEDs. This includes all sports and both genders. A meaningful percentage of entertainers take PEDs. A meaningful percentage of law enforcement, first responders and military personnel take them. A meaningful and growing number of men over age 50, looking for a second wind take them. They are pervasive.

Look at how many substances banned by sports federations are available online or at your local vitamin store. It is a huge industry.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

16. Un Canadien errant says:

Is it just me or is the old equipment funk a thing of the past, easily avoidable nowadays? My gear as a kid used to smell something fierce, even though I had a dedicated rack in the furnace room in the basement to air it out, and my parents made sure that the first thing I did when I came home, even before raiding the fridge, was to deal with my hockey gear.

Of course, it was all made with leather and felt and heavy cottons, and you couldn’t wash it. Modern gear is all kevlar and nylon and washable fabrics, everything goes in the washer except the skates and helmet, and it all comes out clean and sanitary. You don’t need to wash it often, just air it out every time you use it, and wash it mid-season and and in the spring, and you’re fine. Mold and funk are a thing of the past.

When a teammate has funky gear, I gently coach him on these points. The only reason gear stinks now is either ignorance or negligence.

———————————————————————–

17. Loonie says:

And math being the only factor that some use to determine how to build a team is brilliant.

Let me walk you through this HF72,

Scouting departments are paid to find good players, not busts.

A team can build a better product with 5 picks inside the top 60 than it can with 1.

How’s that for probability?

Edit: With a good scouting department you could end up with Max Pacioretty, Loui Eriksson, Robin Lehner, PK Subban and Vyacheslav Voynov instead of Kyle Turris.

• HabFanSince72 says:

That’s not probability. It’s hot air.

The question is what is the generic value of a second round pick.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Loonie says:

About a 1 in 4 chance of landing a high quality NHL player in the second round.

So if you completely disregard that there are differences in skill among each scout then you could presume that one in four are going to work out well.

If you think your scouting department is among the best you probably give yourself a better than 50/50 shot. So in the case of 4 second rounders, your faith in your scouts abilities would probably lead you to a belief that three of four will work out well and that your first rounder will too.

Edit: For the purposes of development ’05-’08 should be looked at. And in that time the second round produced 35 quality NHLers with a number of excellent prospects still developing. Call it 40 of 120.

• habsnyc says:

No scouting department is twice as good as the rest of the league over the long run. It is just impossible. And the more picks you get, the more your success reverts to the mean.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

18. Fab K says:

Do we know who is starting in nets for the Habs? Price?

I am going to get me some chinese food.

20. jols101 says:

Kovalev a healthy scratch tonight for Florida. Anyone surprised?

21. jols101 says:

I just hope Galchenyuk gets more ice time tonight. Therrien has to get him some PP time. I understand not wanting him out there in a defensive zone faceoff situation. He is too inconsistent on faceoffs. But Therrien really needs to get him on one of the top PP units. Galchenyuk’s skill set is tailor made for the PP.

22. Loonie says:

All three of the second rounders and the first for a top three pick?

• habsnyc says:

Doesn’t work that way. Would you trade Galley for a pick in the back half of the first round and 3 seconds? Ask yourself what you would want for Galley and that tells you what it would cost for a top three pick.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• Loonie says:

What doesn’t work that way?

Trades? The draft?

They sure do. Say a team like Calgary gets a top three pick. You think one elite player is going to turn them around? They are completely depleted. They have maybe four better than average prospects in Baertschi, Brodie, Reinhart and Gaudreau.

That team needs a huge haul to build for the future. One guy isn’t gonna do it.

Edit: Carolina, Nashville, Colorado and Dallas are in similar situations.

• Kooch7800 says:

depends on where the second round picks fall if they are at the beginning of the 2nd round etc. The habs may need to stock the cupboards a bit more as well.

We are only 9 games in and who knows we could be picking really high again this year.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Habfan17 says:

Exactly, one guy is not going to do it! There is a reason the Habs stockpiled picks for this draft, it is supposed to be very deep and one of the best in many years. You also need to remember that all teams can move up in the first round and there is no limit as to how many spots you can move up. It is possible the habs can end up with a top 3 pick without moving any assets or picks. Right now the Habs have a dearth of right wing prospects. If they don’t move up at the draft lottery, then I would say it is worth thinking about trading their first round pick and say Kristo, Weber and the lowest 2nd round pick if it would get them a 3rd overall. A klot will depend on who ownes the top 5 picks as well and what their needs are. What I would rather see is if Montreal ends up with the 3rd to 5th overall pick, to keep it and then if say Edmonton has the 7th or 8th overall pick and there is a player there that Mtl covets, then trade Kristo, Weber and a second round pick to move up!

Habfan17

• HabFanSince72 says:

The problem is a 2nd round pick has at best a 1/4 chance of even making it to the NHL. And of those maybe 1/4 is more than a depth player. You can get depth players on the UFA market every summer.

So three second rounders and a late first rounder is expected to turn into one good player (say a David Krejci), on average.

A top three pick is expected to turn into a dominant player.

Essentially you’d be trading Stamkos for David Krejci.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Loonie says:

Zach Bogosian, Erik Gudbransson, Kyle Turris, James Van Riemsdyk, Thomas Hickey and Benoit Pouliot.

Just some of the top five picks since the lockout. They aren’t all Stamkos.

• HabFanSince72 says:

You said top three.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Kooch7800 says:

Turris is starting to play better but still isn’t elite

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• habsnyc says:

you said top three not top five. big difference between the #1 Crosby and the #4 Pouliot. is the #5 worth the #15 + 3 seconds? in some years that is a good offer. but the top three – meaning a 33% chance of getting the #1 and 100% chance of having a top 3 is worth way more. you can’t can start talking about a top 3 then change it to top 5.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• Loonie says:

Pouliot and Hickey are the only two of those outside of the top 5.

If I’d compared every top three pick to Stamkos as you did most would have come up well short.

• HabFanSince72 says:

So 4 top three picks in 8 years were busts. That means 20 out of 24 were potential all-stars.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Kooch7800 says:

Not sure I totally agree but I understand your point. There has been a ton of good players selected in the second round…..for the habs recently PK Subban being one of them. All depends on how deep the draft is and how good your scouts are combined with a little luck

Andrei Markov was a 6th round draft pick

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Loonie says:

Ryan O’Reilly, Robin Lehner, Dmitri Orlov and Tomas Tatar in ’09.

Vyacheslav Voynov, Jakob Markstrom, Justin Schultz, Derek Stepan, Travis Hamonic, Marco Scandella and Danny Kristo in ’08.

Erik Tangradi, PK Subban, TJ Galiardi, Nick Spaling, Wayne Simmonds in ’07

Michael Neuvirth, Jamie McGinn, Cory Emmerton, Jhonas Enroth, Shawn Matthias, Milan Lucic and Jamie McBain in ’06.

James Neal, Marc Edouard Vlasic, Ondrej Pavelec, Justin Abdelkader, Paul Stastny, Latendresse and Adam McQuaid in ’05.

All second round picks.

• HabFanSince72 says:

This might surprise you but there are 30 second round picks every year. It’s actually easy to remember because there are 30 teams in the league. 30 teams means 30 picks in each round.

So let me walk you through the math.

In 2005-2007 you’ve listed 19 NHLers. However there were 3×30 = 90 players picked in those three years.

19/90 = 0.2.

That’s 1 in 5 (so even worse than my 1/4 estimate).

Let’s go further.

Being generous I would say 5 of your NHLers are very good players (better than your run of the mill bargain basement UFA).

That’s 5 out of 90.

Here come more math (sorry).

5/90 = 0.05 or 5% or 1 in 20.

A 2nd round pick had a 1/20 chance of turning into a very good NHLer.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• HabFanSince72 says:

It’s to do with math. You need to divide the number of NHLers picked in the second round by the number of non-NHLers.

It’s like roulette. Someone says to you I bet $100 on number 18 and won $3500.

You might conclude: hey roulette is great you can win huge amounts of money.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• habsnyc says:

Agreed. This argument is becoming foolish. A quck check of 16 drafts from 92-06 shows that the top three spots (48 players) yielded 11 players who will likely go to the Hall of Fame and 30 All-Stars. The entire second round (480 players) yielded 1 potential HOF and 17 All-Stars.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• habsnyc says:

Let’s say in the 2012 off season, Montreal traded the #3 pick for the #18 pick, the #37, #48 and #55. Instead of Galchenyuk, the team would have Teravainen, Abourg, Fournier and Blueger. Would that make anyone happy?

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• Habfan17 says:

I would rather have 4 shots at players that will really contribute than take a shot at a potential star. With the new lottery, the Habs have a chance to move up wothout giving up anything and this draft is supposed to be very deep and the best in many years!

I think that would be a big mistake!!

Habfan17

23. Bill H says:

“Indeed, it’s pretty certain that any doctor would tell you that what the thin-air fans were lustily suggesting the city of Boston do to itself is an anatomical impossibility.”

Dave Stubbs, you make me laugh.

24. bleedhabs81 says:

I was going to comment on last nights game, but it appears the second cup of coffee kicked in!

I am off to make my own steamer.

25. Cal says:

Who cares that there are traitors among us in Habland that cheer for that black and gold s–t? It’s too bad their parade car didn’t have a manure truck “accidentally” dump a load into it.

I can’t see Hall or Thornton making Team Canada.

27. Loonie says:

So who’s gonna be upset when Bergevin trades Eller and Desharnais settles in as a 40 point player for the rest of his career while Eller goes on to be a Plekanec-like player for the rest of his?

All in the name of a name.

• shiram says:

I would be quite upset to see that unfold. What do you get for Eller though, that should of importance too…
      I’m almost anxious for Bergevin’s first trade, it should be interesting how he handles it.

• Loonie says:

Well my logic is that Galchenyuk will soon be our #1 centreman, Plekanec will not concede the second spot to Desharnais and there’s no way Pacioretty plays on our third line.

Desharnais is lost without Pacioretty playing well beside him.

• shiram says:

#27 is throwing a wrench into things being NHL ready so soon­. That said I wonder if it would be so bad to have him on wings for this short season, he could gain a C spot next year, I really like the idea of having a second C to back him up on his line.

• The Jackal says:

Don’t think it words that way man, it’s not like French players get to stay just because they are French. Tenderness was sent packing, Leblanc gets no special treatment, neither does St. Denis.
      DD got where he is because he has proved himself.
      I hope Eller gets a shot and that we keep him, but I don’t think he will be traded just because DD is French. That’s some Don Cherry logic. DD had a great season last year, that’s why he is in the lineup. Right now, both of them are underperforming, and I do think Eller should get an opportunity to get top minutes, and he will. DD is not getting anything by virtue of his first language.

• Loonie says:

My logic is that Galchenyuk and Plekanec leave no place for Desharnais in the top six. And unless a miracle happens Pacioretty will be in the top six.

Something that I think makes Eller a better long term option.

• HardHabits says:

It isn’t going to happen. Eller is to DD as Price is to Halak.

As it stand DD is playing himself off the team. There is no reason (apart from DD being a Quebecois) for DD to protected any longer. They should put Eller with Cole and Pacioretty and platoon DD and Gallagher on the 3rd line RW.

28. Loonie says:

HockeyCentral panel just asked Bruce Boudreau who his best player had been so far.

He didn’t even blink…Saku Koivu.

ZERO hesitation.

29. frontenac1 says:

Pour moi,c”est Deux Steamers All Dressed et une Patates!!!

30. The Cat says:

The bruins go as Krejci goes. Whenever Krejci has went down so have the bruins. Very underrated player.

31. Marcusman says:

Anyone else see Eller put down Chara with a hip check last night…the kid hit everything accept the back of the net

So on a completely different topic, my Mother of 77 years is going to her first ever NHL game tonight in the Peg. My oldest brother (incidentally grew up a Leafs fan) is taking her to the Leafs vs. Jets game tonight. My mother (with perhaps some urging of mine) went out and bought two Wpg. Jets hoodies for her and my brother to wear to game. There goes my bro being able to cheers for the Laffs.

Amazing how hockey in Wpg. has become passionate to people who years earlier didn’t follow it. (At least in my family, 2 brothers and mom never used to watch Jets, now they get together all the time to watch)

Go Habs and Go Jets Go tonight!

33. Steeltown Hab says:

Armdog should be ready for pressbox tn.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Steeltown Hab says:

Wasn’t even looking for the puck on the 2-1, still hits his stick, no conversion. He wasn’t particularly brutal but nothing he does that White can’t do a bit better IMO.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Loonie says:

I don’t have a problem with Armstrong’s play except for a few mental gaffes on the penalty kill, and it’s been recurring.

I’d have Moen in the pressbox before Armstrong.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Armstrong on the PK I don’t like period. Moen is a fair argument, but I’d put it in the “wouldn’t happen regardless” category.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

34. Sportfan says:

Although it is Buffalo tonight, it will be a trust test to see how this team can rebound from the loss last night it should be a great game!

35. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Any word on a starter tonight? Wasn’t an overly difficult night for Price…hopefully he gets the call. We need this one.

36. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

I’m tired of tomas plekenecs getting all the praise he does. The habs faithful love to think of him as a very good player who shuts down the opposing teams top line and plays well on the PK. But in case you didnt know? thats what your third line center is really supposed to do. The checking line is supposed to check and
    forecheck the opposing team and keep them out of their own end.

After watching PLenecs play weak D on the 2 goals last night I think its about time people really noticed who your 1st line Center is. ( and dont tell me DD cause he logs less ice and he dosnt possess the strength or size to be a true #1) Tomas plekenec is already -3.. WORST on the team. Last season he was an astonishing -15. This clearly indicates he is not SHUTTING down the opposing teams top center on 5×5 play. His strenth is on the PP where he amasses lots of PP minutes and points to help bolster his Stats and Identity to the fans. Plekenec is extreamly better then DD and LArs Eller to. But honestly if the habs are going to beat anyone in the playoffs, theyre going to need top lines that score agaisnt the other teams top lines, and stop using plekenec as a “Shutdown”center, beacause hes not, and we lost again. thanks plekenecs

37. Loonie says:

Sportsnet projecting Marc Staal as a Team Canada defenseman for the Olympics.

What a joke. Nothing personal against Staal, but the truly elite defensemen in the NHL bring tremendous defensive AND OFFENSIVE ability. He only has one of those.

Kieth, Weber, Letang, Doughty, Pietrangelo and for the purposes of creating controversy……..Brian Campbell.

His speed would make him a force to be reckoned with on the international stage.

• Timo says:

It is a joke. Everyone knows that the only true elite defenseman in the NHL is MAB and his spot has been reserved x2 for team Canada.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Some like to throw Girardi in there as well.

• Sportfan says:

There’s a reason why Sportsnet won’t be the GM of team Canada abd that was a pretty stupid call I think they lost their minds. I also think over analyzing the olympics now is another waste of time

• Steeltown Hab says:

I’d take Marc Staal over Letang for Team Canada that already has Doughty, Keith, Weber, Pietrangelo.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Chris says:

Perhaps, but Olympic team rosters aren’t measures of who the truly elite players are. You need guys that can play with one another and who know their role.

Marc Staal is a very smart hockey player who makes safe plays and is one of the better defensive defencemen in the NHL. He logs heavy minutes, doesn’t take penalties and does everything that he’s asked to do.

Is he my pick? No. I think there are better choices than Staal. But I think he will be in the equation because he is one of those guys that won’t mind playing on the third pairing or sitting out games, doing whatever the team needs him to do.

Patrick Roy was rarely selected for national teams because he would only play if he was the starter. The guys who were selected as the #2 or #3 goalies weren’t better than Roy by any stretch of the imagination. But they WERE better fits for the team.

I think Weber, Doughty and Keith are probably shoo-ins. But after that, it is going to depend on who is in the best form. Letang and Pietrangelo are very likely in as well.

The other couple of spots will be open for the likes of Subban, Staal, Hamhuis, Burns, and Seabrook. Even Dan Girardi might get some love as a shutdown defenceman for the penalty kill if he puts up another stalwart defensive season like last year.

In some respects, I think this version of the Olympic tournament will be the first time in a couple of decades where Canada doesn’t feature the hands-down best defensive unit in the tournament.

The rest of the world is catching up, and Canada’s blue line is evolving to younger guys.

• Loonie says:

I agree with your premise on selecting players.

But there isn’t a name among the shoo-ins who can’t adapt to a different partner on defense.

I think a guy like Staal would be a good compliment to Duncan Keith. But only if they had the mindset that they were going to turn Keith loose.

So did anyone else think that Armstrong actually played a decent game last night? He is still a useless bum but still.. thought I’d focus on a positive. That’s about it.

39. shiram says:

Subban has heard Therriens message loud and clear it seems, he’s very humble in his interviews.
    Geoffrion with some good news too, gotta love that.

40. vince8_31 says:

whos in net?

41. Loonie says:

Let the kids play tonight.

42. The Jackal says:

First of all, that’s probably a good thing that Habs’ equipment isn’t smelly, that must improve morale.
    Second of all, let’s get over last night. We know the real steamers are the B’s, and we will flush ‘em down next time. It was a close game, and sometimes the good guys don’t get the bounces. We will get right back on it tonight and take revenge against the Leafs.

43. Propwash says:

How hilarious would it be if his first name was Cleveland…

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

44. Cal says:

Your welcome. Good pic!

45. habsnyc says:

Devils tickets start around $20 and good seats are $40 and they just played in the finals.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

46. habsnyc says:

I agree would be great if the Sabres-Habs rivarly was as good as it was when they had the French Connection.

NJ has a lot of grass roots hockey. There must be at least 100 mite/squirt/peewee hockey teams in northern NJ, almost all of whom play outdoors. Problem is that the Devils only play night games and there is very little fan base in Newark. NJ is a decent hockey area. Newark is a failed city for pro sports.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.