Habs’ Parros won’t play, but Murray will against Sabres

There won’t be a showdown between heavyweight enforcers George Parros and John Scott Wednesday night in Buffalo (7 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Canadiens coach Michel Therrien announced after Wednesday’s morning skate that Parros will be a healthy scratch and there’s a good chance Scott won’t suit up for the Sabres, either.

There will be a good goaltending showdown with Carey Price starting for the Canadiens and Ryan Miller for the Sabres.

Francis Bouillon will also be a healthy scratch for the Canadiens with Douglas Murray filling the sixth defenceman spot. Rene Bourque, who was cleared to play Tuesday after missing three games with a groin injury, won’t be in the lineup.

The Canadiens will be looking to extend their winning streak to four games against the Sabres, while Buffalo has lost four straight and is 2-10-1 at home this season.

“We’re definitely not taking the Sabres lightly,” Canadiens coach Michel Therrien told reporters in Buffalo after the morning skate. “I think that the players are conscious of the fact that in the NHL, every game is a tough one to play. I have no doubt about it, the guys will be ready to go tonight.”

Meanwhile, TSN’s Darren Dreger reported Wednesday afternoon on his Twitter account that Canadiens assistant GM Rick Dudley has agreed to a “more lucrative deal” to stay with the Canadiens after the Sabres approached the Habs looking for permission to talk with him about their vacant GM job. (You can also see a cool photo of the outdoor rink Dreger has built in his backyard on his Twitter account.)

In other news, Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin announced Wednesday that defenceman Magnus Nygren, who had been playing with the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs, has been reassigned to Farjestad BK of the Swedish Hockey League.

In 16 games with Hamilton this season, Nygren posted 1-7-8 totals and had 14 penalty minutes. The 23-year-old defenceman spent the 2012-13 season with Farjestad, posting 13-19-32 totals in 51 games and earning the Salming Trophy as the league’s top defenceman.

The Canadiens selected Nygren in the fourth round (113th overall) of the 2011 NHL entry draft.

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

Canadiens vs. Sabres preview, NHL.com

Game Day report, Canadiens.com

Game Notes, buffalosabres.com

Habs post-practice interviews (video), Canadiens.com

Ted Nolan pregame press conference (video), buffalosabres.com

Teams calling Habs about Pacioretty’s availability, TSN.ca

LaFontaine did research with Neely before taking Sabres job, NHL.com

Nolan preaches trust and communication to Sabres, Buffalo News

Canadiens reassign Nygren to Farjestad, hamiltonbulldogs.com

How the Rogers/NHL deal came to be, sportsnet.ca

1. Hobie Hansen says:

I’m betting 95% of the players involved in this NHL concussion suit are a bunch of phoneys. Free money, Free money!
    They see all the players today making 20x more than they did and they want a piece of the action.
    No disrespect to the 5%.

2. Habs4LifeInTO says:

Very happy that Rick Dudley is staying with the Habs. Good hockey mind… Go Habs Go!

24 cups and counting….

Michael Therrien says his player will be ready tonight.

4. Andy and the habs says:

Today I sigh with content mind that the Maple Leaf will play against a really good team that has lost their last 2 games. Tonight we move to the 4th spot in the standings?

Edit: shiram and I don’t share the same enthusiasm

• savethepuck says:

Maybe only move up to 7th if the Wings beat the Bruins tonight, but it would drop the Leafs to 8th.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

5. shiram says:

I’m happy to face the Sabres, now that Kaleta is playing the AHL.
    Hated that guy so much…

6. zephyr says:

nygren was a huge minus in Hamilton. contrast that with pateryn who has the highest plus on the team.
    I like murray. he’s solid & hasn’t been beaten by speed yet. he’s strong as an ox & knocks guys over with a forearm shiver. he needs to play more esp against goon teams like buff, bos & t.o..
    I think mt should try bournival with eller & galchenyuk. the kid can score.

• krob1000 says:

Murray should be effective in the playoffs as well when much more is let go….and if he can coax a guy like Lucic or Chara off the ice and survive (doesn’t have to win)…even better.

7. Luke says:

Well, I’m pretty much off.

Enjoy the game folks.

Hopefully it’s a win!

8. Bripro says:

There’s no reason (aside from Miller) that the Habs shouldn’t take this game tonight.
    But then, I’ve said that about the Islanders too. And I have the losing wager stub to prove it.

9. AceTen says:

So what do you think our chances are of getting two second round picks for Murray at the deadline this year?

I know this was reported in Alberta, but am I the only one think WTF?!! 145 kids and public doesn’t have the right to question or know what’s going on?!

• Bripro says:

Another gag order. Wonderful!
      I can tell you from personal experience that Quebec’s Social Services network, which is supposed to protect children and their caregivers, is also a shambles.

• on2ndthought says:

More over-worked front-line community workers. I’ve met many (professionally) who did what they could plugging the holes they could. I don’t know as many foster care parents, but imagine they are like any group of us.

“a cannonading drive”

• zephyr says:

this is horrible. gov’t officials are trying to cya as usual. avoid accountability at all costs. I hope a brilliant light is shone on this. the cockroaches will scatter then.
      does gov’t do anything well?

11. Ring of Fire says:

waiting patiently here at embassy suites for Habs to b done with practice n hopefully get some autographs n pics…one good thing about sabres being cellar dwellers freinds give up tix for game tonight….crowd tonight should b 60% Montreal fans ….please win tonight I want to enjoy my turkey tommorow…Miller owns us though..glad Dudley staying..Sabre fans were getting giddy about him coming to Buffalo. Go Habs Go

The Thin Blue Line.

12. shiram says:

Habs lose tonight.
    They won the last few and won’t compete enough against a team they figure they can bowl over.
    3-1 Sabres.
    Gio gets the Habs only goal.

13. bwoar says:

Have we fired Bergevin yet? Because he’s been a pretty crap GM.

“thoroughbred”

• krob1000 says:

As much as people lament the signings of DD, Briere,etc….it was MB’s depth that made the pile of injuries survivable and it was his depth that has allowed the Habs to roll 4 effective lines of late. The contracts individually may not make the most sense and can be frustrating while we play fantasy gm making our imaginary trades…BUT…the team has depth at every position.

• JF says:

I think depth was precisely the point of the off-season signings. Our lack of depth did not become a problem last season until just before the playoffs, but when it did, it quickly sank us. We still don’t have enough depth up front; if we were to lose a couple of our top-nine to injury, we’d be in deep trouble. As for who Bergevin signed, he took what was available based on cap space and taking term into account. These are all short-term moves; none of these players (probably including DD) will be around by the time we’re ready to contend.

• krob1000 says:

I don’t know….IMO the HAbs have 11 top 9 forwards in Ell, Gall, Gall, Briere, Pleks, Gio, Prust, Bourque, Patch, Dd, Bournival …..then have another tier of 4th lines in Moen, WHite, PArros…that is enough to sustain IMO two injuries to the top 9 and two to the bottom 3 and still be a .500 team. If you run into that porlbme in the playoffss you are likely doing so at the ame time as other teams aas virtually every team accumulates injuries at that time of year as the pace and sacrifice/commitment level is amped up. By then the team could also have picked up a deadline insurance policy also. I don;t see many teams…actually none that match up with Montreal as far as overall depth go….unfortunately some of the teams that are closest ahve better top end talent ie Chicago, Detroit, Ana, Pitts …however the other depth teams like San Jose, St Louis, Boston, LA, are very similar to MOntreal on paper.

• Thurston says:

If being “a pretty crap GM” means taking an embarrassing franchise and making them respectable in roughly 1-1/2 years, I’m fine with having “a pretty crap GM.”
      It’s not like the time Bergevin has been with the Canadiens is enough to assess his true worth anyway. Give him a few more years to see how well they’ve built through the draft, a strategy of Bergevin’s I wholeheartedly agree with.

• krob1000 says:

Building is the key…whether it is through the draft, through free agency, through trades, through asset management and development, etc is irrelevant….all that needs to be done is building and how is up to the gm. The draft is a crapshoot if you are not a high picking team for the most part so “building through the draft” to me is a gamble…more of a gamble than most of the other strategies actually. There are extreme examples of all kinds but the key is to try to build successfully and as simply put as possible…always be improving your organization. There will be good draft picks, bad draft picks, good trades and signings and some bad ones…but they is to over time be improving…to me MB is doing so and is trending upward…that to me is indicative of a job well done thus far.

• Bripro says:

That’s the spirit! Let your afternoon rage out.
      I had mine with my morning coffee.

• Andy and the habs says:

Best MB signing so far is Prust. Without him around is just not the same. This guy is the kids favorite off ice. Great signing.

• duffy says:

WHY DO YOU THINK THEY HELD ON TO DUDLEY.

14. ClutchNGrab says:

From TSN:

Rick Dudley will be staying on as assistant general manager of the Montreal Canadiens for the forseeable future, as TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger reports that he has agreed to a more lucrative deal to stay with the franchise.

Apparently Pat Lafontaine was interested in having him in Buffalo.

15. elico says:

Hi there apparently Evander Kane is available at the right price
    what/who would trade for (and lets be realistic)

16. bwoar says:

Shackles: loved Ice Hockey. I used to rent the NES on weekends from a nearby Esso and play that game.

“thoroughbred”

• Mattyleg says:

My buddy had it.
      We used to use the secret code (can’t remember it offhand) to get ‘rubber puck’, which would rocket around the rink and set us off in fits of laughter.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

17. ClutchNGrab says:

Don’t know if it was posted, but great message by Babcock, especially for the young people here:

18. Bill says:

SlovakHab: interesting article, thanks for the link!

19. Ali says:

Rick Dudley isn’t going anywhere. After Buffalo approached him he signed a new, richer deal to stay in MTL. (per Dreger)

20. Bill says:

Shackles: It could be that the Nintendo game you use as your example isn’t actually an accurate demonstration of the NHL.

Gallagher, for instance, is not known to go flying whenever he is touched. Actually, neither is Briere.

Murray indeed is big and slow, but he hasn’t really devastated anyone with a hit this year. Made a couple of solid ones, but nothing really impressive. I think he finds his targets hard to catch.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Douglas Murray hit on Chris kryder: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCV1bvzxko4

Douglas Murray hit on Lane Macdermid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzUKyweFRjc

There is a few others….have to get back to work :-).

• krob1000 says:

I beg to differ…Gallagher flies just like any other little guy when he is hit…he just doesn’t care, gets back up and goes at it again and continues to put himself in those positions…but he gets creamed just like any other guy who has to submit to basic physics. Briere at this stage of his career is a lot more selective of when he is willing to take his lumps, he also has made a name for himself as a bit of a swordsman and often appears on the “dirtiest player” polls…..

• Shackles says:

Your right Bill, it isn’t a catch all and at the end of the day, I am a huge Gallagher fan. The point I was trying to make is that more times than none, when someone tries to outmuscle Murray, they end up taking a tumble which is one less body to worry about. I agree, Murray is in no position to go chasing anyone down for the big hit but if he’s able to clear the front of the net and bounce a few boys off the puck in the corners then I’m a happy camper. This, in turn, gives the offense the room to break out.

21. Mavid says:

They better win tonight..I need some cheering up, last week my 10 year old $2000.0 fridge quit..what a mess. Then a tree went through the roof of the 5th wheel I just bought this summer. Insurance wrote it off. $12, 000.00 worth of damage..we insured it for 5 grand paid 9 ..plus a variety of other smaller problems I won’t bother to detail..so GO HABS GO…lets kick some Sabres ass..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

And here is the press release from the Bulldogs.

• krob1000 says:

hmm the term “reassigned” makes me feel as though he is not lost forever…likely he figured if no shot this year better to be home playing close to family, still playing against men and in competitive league, likely earning more money and being in more familiar territory. I read that as he amy try again next year…and who knows at that point

23. habsguru says:

if by not playing Parros, the Sabres sit Scott, then it is mission accomplished. if Parros draws in, then a 2nd/3rd line guy gets a little more ice time, while Parros keeps the other team honest from the bench. see on 24CH where from the bench, Parros yelled to a guy on the ice “don’t do something you will regret” ? win/win IMO

Here is the story Peter is referring to.

And there is an update to the story:

UPDATE: In the official press release from Färjestad, it is noted that Nygren is loaned to them for the remainder of the season. This means that Nygren should be back in North America next season.

That update is going to make this a bit harder to start up the Fire MB story though….

25. PeterD says:

Just heard that Magnus Nygren (D) has left the ‘Dogs and is headed back to Sweden as per Eyesontheprize.
    That sounds about right…keep playing Murray, a guy that skates like his skates are on the wrong feet and let a promising prospect walk.
    Now that’s called managing your assets…way to go MB.

• krob1000 says:

really? must have been upset that Nystrom was let go…

• SlovakHab says:

Was Nystrom let go, or did he decide himself to leave the team and sign in KHL?

• krob1000 says:

he left …re your post below not exactly how I meant it….I meant they let him go …as in they have lost him,…he will likely no longer be part of the teams plans. I didn’t mean it in they released him.Not so big of a deal with Nystrom but Nygren is a big deal…he was a very intriguing prospect and an ideal 2nd wave pp partner for Beulieu a ccouple seasons from now so hoepfully he is not totally lost

• PeterD says:

Nystrom was released from his Try out contract by MB yeaterday…then went to KHL.

• PeterD says:

The post claims that when Nygren came over he was assured he would get a look in the NHL.
        More likely as he is a top 4 D-man in Hamilton that he’s pissed caused they keep playing lead foot and he doesn’t see a shot coming up for himself to show what he has.

• krob1000 says:

I hope he hasn;t left yet…..if Diaz wants too much money, or PK or Markov doesn;t sign, or Beaulieu is used in a trade,etc…he climbs the laddrer pretty quickly. I really hope this is not just him leaving and being done with MOntreal and there is more to the story. Otherwise he becomes the tradebait

• mrhabby says:

and when did murray last start.

you could do better i assume.

• Habilis says:

I saw that as well. To be fair though, Nygren is behind Beaulieu, Tinordi and Pateryn on the depth chart, and deservedly so. He knows that he has very little chance of being called up this season. That’s why he’s leaving. If he’s going to get more minutes back home, good on him I say.

Habs still own his rights, he’ll be in camp next season. I don’t see this as an organizational loss in any way, unless you count the blow to the Bulldogs roster.

This^

• DipsyDoodler says:

He went to the KHL.

Prague over Hamilton, can’t have been a tough decision.

Hang on – I mean Nystrom.

Nygren’s the defenceman who is going back to Sweden.

• PeterD says:

I hope you’re right Habilis.
        Maybe in an Olympic year he feels his chances of being noticed for a shot at team Sweden would be better back home.
        Even if he’s behind Tinordi, Beaulieu and Pateryn, he is still a skilled asset that has trade value if he isn’t going to play on the big team…but my hope is we see him as a potential upgrade on Diaz.

• Habilis says:

I doubt he has any shot at the Olympics. I’m not exactly a Swedish hockey buff but I’ve read enough about Nygren to know that he’s still somewhat of a liability in the defensive zone. His shot is all-world, but he’s not making a top 5 hockey country’s national team anytime soon.

He might be a suitable Diaz replacement, but IMO he’s at least 2 years away. He’s still an asset for sure, but he’s not a blue chip prospect by any stretch.

• bwoar says:

Did he not win the Borje Salming trophy last year??

He did. I’d his “shot” at the Olympics is pretty darn good.

“thoroughbred”

• Habilis says:

Not to belittle his accomplishment, but in the context of the Olympics, so what? That’s like winning the best D award in the AHL. There are Swedish D-men in the NHL who are better hockey players than him. Including Douglas Murray.

One of these 8 would have to not make it for Nygren to even get a sniff.

Oliver Ekman-Larsson
            Erik Karlsson
            Jonas Brodin
            Niklas Kronwall
            Victor Hedman
            Alexander Edler
            Niklas Hjalmarsson
            Douglas Murray

• savethepuck says:

I’m thinking you are probably confusing Nygren with Eric Nystrom.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Habsrule1 says:

Players cannot be rushed into playing the toughest position to learn in the toughest league in the world.

My guess is he wasn’t ready….good to find out who has character and who doesn’t before they get to the show.

OR, to be fair….he just wanted/needed to make more money and it was a tough decision, but he’s doing what’s right for him.

Go Habs Go!!

Lets get the story straight before we start labelling players crybabies.

Edit:I’m thinking you did some editing,

• Habsrule1 says:

Ya….I retracted my cry baby comment after a bit of thought. After reading the press release, I think it was the right decision.

It seems like a good move, whether or not it was based on dollars.

Go Habs Go!!

26. Bill says:

Gumper: guys like Parros don’t play in the playoffs.

27. DipsyDoodler says:

Just got the call from the mechanic.

Ouch.

Anyone wanna buy a kidney?

28. Shackles says:

Anyone remember way back in the late 80’s, there was this Nintendo hockey game where you had the choice of 3 different player types to have on your team; a little Briere type fella who was fast but if you touched him, he’d fly across the ice, a medium sized guy then this giant slow fella who if anyone came near him, they’d be down for the count…that’s Murray. Built like a sack of potatoes a-la Lyle Odelein, slow as molasses but strong like bull. He does exactly what is asked of him so he can’t be faulted if he doesn’t play like Kris Letang because that’s not why he was signed. Why the hate?

29. Habilis says:

One of those games tonight. Will the Habs of last week show up and cream the Sabres? Or will it be the team who regresses to the level of their competition as we have seen far too often in the last 2 decades?

The former would be my choice.

On another note, possible Olympic goalie preview tonight? Price is on track to start for us and Miller has been pretty darn good behind a truly awful team. With Quick out and Anderson’s game gone to hell, Miller has the inside track, IMO. Howard has been just OK. Bishop has been amazing and I think he’ll get a spot, but I doubt he supplants Miller on the depth chart. Miller probably gets a ton of slack based on who he plays for and his performance in Vancouver.

30. Bill says:

Rhino: Parros indeed is not useful, but he doesn’t play enough to represent a problem. As for the others, a little depth is a great thing. The team won’t be healthy all year. We will have one or two significant injuries for the better part of the season.

31. Steeltown Hab says:

What is the ideal lineup? I think we can agree it would include Bourque, most likely with Galchenyuk – Eller.

Where does that leave Prust, certainly good enough for the 4th line. And Bournival is probably better suited for top 9…tough decisions.

Bournival/Briere – Plekanec – Gionta
    Pacioretty – Desharnais/Briere/Bournival – Gallagher
    Galchenyuk – Eller – Bourque
    Moen – White – Prust

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

32. rhino514 says:

The present situation reflects just how superfluous MB´s off season moves were.
    For Parros to play, either Moen or Bournival, or Briere would have to sit. Never gonna happen (and if it does, it´s a huge mistake). The only other option is sitting White, but then you don´t have a centre.
    For Briere to play, you have to sit either Bourque or Bournival. Again, this does not improve the team.
    For Murray to play, Bouillon would have to sit. This is maybe a decent trade off versus the 3 or 4 goon teams in the league, but that´s it. Still, the Murray signing isn´t really a bad one since Frankie can´t play every game anymore and the kids turned out to be not quite ready.
    I admire MB´s energy and passion, but signing players because of a specific quality (toughness, or marketability and playoff reputation in the case of Briere, who I still root for, in any case), and not signing based on talent, does not improve the team.
    Tell me how up to now Parros or Murray have had any tangible positive effect on the team. Briere will only end up being a decent signing if he can play in the playoffs like he used to, long ago, and that´s a heck of gamble for eight million over two seasons.

33. ClutchNGrab says:

Apparently, Subban said to Tanner Glass on Saturday: “stop blocking my shots, they hurt”.

Well he was right, Glass will miss at least the next three weeks with a broken hand.

34. Mattyleg says:

Ah, whadda day…
    For those of you who enjoyed “Tirepocalypse Slush” from this morning, here is Cordelia’s three-step amusement plan:

Step 1 (1:38pm): Barf all over Mum
    Step 2 (1:41pm): Projectile barf all over Daddy, sofa, floor
    Step 3 (1:42pm): Sit back and enjoy the spectacle as the plumber arrives

—Hope Springs Eternal—

35. Cal says:

Yesssssss! The Crank and The Tank. Together again.
    Fearless prediction: Many will fall on their Sabres tonight, and it’s gonna hurt!!

36. kmachabs27 says:

got my box of tomatoes ready for the first mistake murray makes.

37. kmachabs27 says:

going to the game tonight.

38. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

PS; where does it say Bourque is playing tonight?

39. habs12 says:

So if Murray plays tonight, Bouillon plays Friday and Murray plays against the Leafs? Assuming Therrien is thinking rationally.

40. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Everybody happy? No staged fight between the enormous thug Scott and our enormous-ish bookworm Parros, and Frankie Boo is sitting for Döuglås Murray, den Svenska huset.

Gø Häbs!

So if Parros going to be thrown out there cold against the laffs after being out of action for more than a month?

42. donmarco says:

Talk about feast or famine. Seems not that long ago that we were calling up Dumont, Blunden, Leblanc and St Pierre. Now we have a healthy Bourque and Parros sitting, along with either Murray or Bouillon. Lots of healthy bodies, how is Therrien going to get them all ice time? Bourque needs to play, but who do you sit? And Parros needs some ice time, probably Saturday, so if you dress Parros and Bourque against the Leafs, which 2 players sit? This is, admittedly, a nice problem to have but you don’t want players getting frustrated at not playing, either.

43. Maksimir says:

Matt D’Agostini just claimed by Buffalo on waivers…

wow remember him: Habs prospect to cast off to St Louis 20 goal guy to cast off, picked up and dropped by Pitts and now over to Buffalo.

44. thorandresson says:

What’s the status on Bourque playing tonight? I heard on l’Antichambre that he would be a healthy scratch, has this been confirmed?

45. DipsyDoodler says:

One aspect of the poll that wasn’t addressed, is what is the audience in Canada for hockey games not involving Canadian teams (or not involving the team you support).

I never watch non-Hab games but I certainly watch NFL football, soccer, even the odd golf tournament.

46. icemachine says:

Would have loved to head down to the Queen City tonight to watch the Habs, but I got called back to work after 2 months off

47. Eddie says:

At Steve, re time on the ice stats and goals scored.

When Parros went minus 5 in only a few games played, there was a perfect example of your stat accurately describing his poor play.

Why?

Because it was shots from the point, from the exact player Parros was assigned to cover, that were creating the goals.

Other players were on the ice with Parros, but it was Parros’ SPECIFIC ASSIGNMENT to cover those point shots, block them, or not let the player shoot at all, and his failure to do so led to goals.

In hockey we must look at specific assignments, not just presence on the ice.

I don’t understand why someone who is clearly very bright like you are can not accept this concept.

But this SPECIFIC ASSIGNMENT is what coaches review when assessing a player, and that’s why your conclusions are not matching with the coach’s decisions.

• Habsrule1 says:

If the worst thing a player does is allow a guy he’s covering take a few shots from the point, I think he did a pretty good job.

Had the players assigned to the guys in front of the net or hell, even the defensement done their jobs, this would not be an issue. Keep your man far from the net. The shots taken from the point should be stopped, unless there is a deflection, in which case it’s no longer the guy taking the shot that is the problem.

That said, Parros has been pretty dissapointing to me, but not because of his lack of skill but because of his lack of intimidation.

Go Habs Go!!

• twilighthours says:

Habsrule, I’m not trying to be argumentative, but there are degrees of “allowing shots from the point.” Plex or Moen might allow a shot, but it’s probably going wide or getting deflected by their sticks into the corner. So a shot directed at net. Parros was well out of position and allowing his man a good shot, a shot where he had time to do what he wanted with it, to (at the very least) get it through to the goal.

I also disagree with this statement “…unless there is a deflection, in which case it’s no longer the guy taking the shot that is the problem.” That’s not today’s NHL. Players today must take away as many shots as they can. That’s the new standard.

• Habsrule1 says:

I agree somewhat. I just think that most teams have the goal to only allow shots from the point or the perimetre. I just don’t think it’s really fair to call out any player cause the guy he was covering got a shot off from the point. The guy covering the guy who deflected it at the very least ALSO did not do his job. It’s not like anyone expects no shots to be taken against you, so if the only ones happening are from the point, I’ll take it any day. There are plenty of reasons to rip into Parros but letting his man take a shot from the point, regardless of how accurate it was just isn’t one of them, in my personal opinion.

But let the record show, I’ve been wrong before.

Go Habs Go!!

• DipsyDoodler says:

Eddie

I think Steve would reply that you are right, but that in the long run his method provides better measures. Your method depends on an accurate model of what each player contributes on the ice, while his is entirely data driven (unbiased).

• Ozmodiar says:

Steve’s method is also biased – in the way he interprets the data.

• twilighthours says:

Perhaps unbiased, but also sometimes difficult to draw conclusions from these methods, too. If a coach sees Parros miss his assignment 4 games in a row and each time it results in a goal, that’s immeasurably more meaningful than what some metric might suggest.

I know you agree, HFS72.

• bwoar says:

Steve looks at GF / GA for icetime ONLY, and presumes to talk smack about the coaching. It’s driving me crazy.

It’s like a guy who is sure, from putting Mentos in Coke, that NASA is screwing the pooch by using expensive rocket fuel when they could easily send rockets up with more simple and much cheaper compounds.

“thoroughbred”

48. DipsyDoodler says:

The good news is I took my car in yesterday to get the winter tires installed.

The bad news is they found something loose in the steering and they still haven’t called me with a diagnosis, let alone an estimate.

49. punkster says:

I’m so grateful for you guys, ya know?

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
    but…
    ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

50. habs-fan-84 says:

Good to see Murray in , but I hope this doesn’t take away from his chances of being in the lineup on Saturday night (I’m assuming he sits Friday and plays Saturday).

So I’m going to have to apologize for some of my rants yesterday regarding the new TV deal. I have done a complete 180 and here’s why:

After checking last night, it turns out I already get TVA in HD (it seems I don’t get TVA sports though). Also, if I understand correctly (and it’s quite possible I don’t) living in Ontario I should actually get to see Habs games on Sportsnet East in English. Therefore, if I decide I don’t want to watch the game in French on either RDS or TVA, apparently I will also now have the option of watching in English on Sportsnet East.

Moreover, the annoying blackouts will be a thing of the past. It was just the other night, when the Habs weren’t playing and I noticed Vancouver was. So I tuned into the channel only to find out the game was under regional blackout. I actually sat there thinking how Busch league is this? Because I live in Ontario I can’t see the Canucks game? Lame.

If you want to watch the Habs in English on a Saturday night it will finally be in HD and I’ll also get to tune in to the Senators and Leaf game (doubtful) if I so choose – more choice is a good thing.

The details are still somewhat sketchy at the moment, but I admit this isn’t as bad as I first thought yesterday. Conversely, it is difficult to believe that in the long run a monopoly will make things cheaper for the fans…

• ClutchNGrab says:

Assuming everything will stay the same except for the game going from one network to another is a mistake. The current model doesn’t generate enough money for the new deal.

• veryhabby says:

Clutch…the difference will be in your cable/satellite fee. More NHL games will be available to view, but all will come at a cost.

At minimum your cable bill will go up twice due to this, when affiliate contracts are to be renewed (assumed it will happen 2-3 times for Sportsnet) they will charge your cable provider more to have the sportsnet channels in their lineup, and of course your cable provider will pass that on to you.

Also with a monopoly, they can charge whatever premium they want. So who knows how much it will cost. They asked them at conference yesterday if they see a pay per view future…of course they are like, “we are just celebrating this deal today we haven’t looked that far ahead.” sure…… by something for $5.2B without figuring out the plan for the future!

• veryhabby says:

habsfan84…you have it partially right

Blackouts are lifted ONLY for national games which will be shown Wed, Sat, Sun ONLY. So if MTL is playing one of those nights and Sportsnet choses to make that game the national game, then it won’t be blackout in Ontario.

The problem is they will definitely chose to show Leafs first nationally (it’s their team). So for sure on one of those 3 nights, if both teams play, then you won’t get to see the game even if on the East channel, cause it won’t be national.

At end of day, to be safe, I think next year should be ok with RDS still having 60 games, plus CBS MOST LIKELY showing HAbs on Saturday nights. You may not need anything else.

The problem is in 2 seasons from now, you may have to switch from RDS package to TVAsport package to insure being able to watch all 82 games. And during the season you should be able to catch a few in English either on CBC Saturday night or MAYBE on a national broadcast for Sportsnet.

TVAsports is available on Rogers cable (LOL!!!!) I will assume Bell offers it, I know Shaw does (I have it).

51. Sportfan says:

Yay Murray! I feel bad for Parros though.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

52. shiram says:

Sabre claimed Matt D’agostini off waivers, any chance he plays tonight?

I cannot believe my eyes.

54. John Q Public says:

While attending a game who’s been kicked out of an arena/stadium ?
    I was when I was a yute for fighting with my brother at the Big O.

• DeadEnd says:

Didn’t actually get kicked out but almost. Went to an Expos home opener with my brother when I was 15. They gave out those Go Expos cardboard signs, which made great paper airplanes. Given that everyone in our section was hammered by the second inning (except us, of course), they were flying everywhere. One eventually hit a security guard in the back of the head and when he turned around, he decided the 15 year-old was an easier target than 50 drunks. He was going to toss me and my brother until a bunch of the guys around us told him to p!$$ off.

• twilighthours says:

Whoa baby, have I ever been. It was high school hockey, though, and I was the teacher advisor. Does that count?

55. Les-Habitants says:

Having Murray vs Cube battle for the 6th spot is awesome. Two vet guys, Murray obviously bigger and hits with authority, while Cube is a better passer and skater. Both solid tho, and can move up/down the lineup as needed.

So MT tweaks the lineup and puts Murray in for Frankie. I like this!

57. desertman says:

FIRST – never mind…

58. Luke says:

Oh, Today is just like Christmas. Only better.

Ticket.