Habs’ Pacioretty named NHL’s second star of week

The Canadiens’ Max Pacioretty was named the NHL’s second star of the week on Monday after leading all players with five goals last week, including two game-winners, as the Habs won three straight games.

The five goals give Pacioretty 7-2-9 totals in 15 games this season.

Pittsburgh’s Evgeni Malkin was named the NHL’s first star after leading all players with seven assists and eight points in four games. Edmonton goalie Devan Dubnyk was named the third star after posting a 2-0-0 record with a 0.50 goals-against average and .974 save percentage.

Meanwhile, the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League announced on Monday that former Canadiens defenceman Patrice Brisebois and current Canadiens assistant coach Gerard Gallant will be among the four new inductees into the QMJHL Hall of Fame.

Brisebois and Gallant will be joined by Jean-Luc Phaneuf and Normand Caisse at the official induction ceremony slated for April 2, 2014.

Brisebois played 208 games in the QMJHL, posting 258 points, and won the Presidents Cup twice with Laval, in 1989 and 1990.  He also won two gold medals with Team Canada at the world junior championships in 1990 and 1991. Brisebois is now a player development coach with the Canadiens.

Gallant played three seasons in the QMJHL, starting in 1980-81, when he posted 41-60-101 totals in 68 games as a rookie with the Sherbrooke Castors. During his three seasons in the QMJHL, Gallant accumulated 321 points and 706 penalty minutes.

After enjoying a day off Sunday, the Canadiens stayed away from the ice for a second straight day on Monday with the players doing off-ice training in Brossard.

Rene Bourque, who has been sidelined with a lower-body injury, is skating but there was no word on when he might return to the lineup.

The Canadiens return to action Wednesday when they visit the Buffalo Sabres (7 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690). The Habs will be in Washington Friday (5 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690) before facing the Toronto Maple Leafs Saturday at the Bell Centre (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

(Photo by Richard Wolowicz/Getty Images)

Malkin, Pacioretty, Dubnyk named NHL’s stars of the week, NHL.com

Gallant honoured by QMJHL, by Pat Hickey

Locker-room interviews (video), Canadiens.com

Four new members to be inducted into QMJHL Hall of Fame, qmjhl.ca

NHL, Rogers reach 12-year broadcast deal, montrealgazette.com

NHL rumours: Habs eye “big splash” trade, sportsnet.ca

Canadiens valued at $775 million by Forbes, Stu on Sports blog

Scotty Bowman earns “Biggest Brain” honour from THN, Stu on Sports blog

McGill honours Babcock, montrealgazette.com

Bulldogs goalie Tokarski named AHL Player of the Week, hamiltonbulldogs.com

1. arcosenate says:

Hmmm, this doesn’t seem to fit into TSN’s move into radio. Guess we’ll be listening to curling on those channels.

2. Maritime Ronn says:

A few predictions for the near future:

1) Sportsnet will begin to televise Leafs practices.
    I kid you not.

2) TSN does a great job covering the World Juniors and it wouldn’t surprise if they go hard and increase content through the CHL and its 3 Major Junior hockey leagues.

The rights would be cheap.

There is a huge audience coast to coast that just adores their Major Junior teams and rarely get to see them on the road.

The West:
    22 teams – including a US division of 4 Washington State teams and 1 from the State of Oregon

OHL:
    20 teams

The “Q”:
    18 teams including a 6 team division from the Maritimes.

That’s 60 teams that cover every single region of Canada ( and Washington State-Portland Oregon) with the exception of NL which has its own AHL team

If TSN could put Curling on the TV map, then Major Junior should be a given.

3. Bill says:

The NHL/Rogers deal is of little importance to the average fan. For us, it means mainly (a) a cable bill increase, (b) having to ge used to whatever a TVA broadcast looks like, and (c) having to watch the occasional Sportsnet broadcast, which I lways avoided.

I have zero sentimental attachment to TSN, the Toronto Sports Network, which has become smug and complacent. Their problems are not mine.

I dislike Sportsnet, which has always seemed cheap and third-rate – their hirings are absolutely mystifying – but I’m assuming they will poach competent producers and voices from TSN and upgrde their product.

I am not worried about watching TVA, which I also assume will hire good people to produce their games.

Nothing much will change. Sportsnet will take over from CBC and TSN in pushing the Maple Leafs down our throats. We will continue to hunt around for alternatives. Basically, all that’s changed is the name of the channel we will be cursing.

Full Breezer 4 Life

4. jimmy shaker says:

So what channels to we need next year? RDS-HD and TVA sports HD to watch all the habs games next year? I have TVA but I think I need TVA sports which I don’t currently have. Please hurry, I’m trying to get my channels set up before cogeco realizes anything.

Shaker out!

5. Hobie Hansen says:

Ya we’ll see what happens. I now I’ll still be able to get all the games on TVA, RDS, CBC and from what I’m hearing City TV.

However, I hope it means a bit more Habs coverage in English. I’m a Rogers subscriber in Ottawa and don’t get those 30 English regional games on TSN and CBC Montreal isn’t in HD!

I don’t mind RDS, but I do prefer the English broadcasts in HD. Hope it improves!

6. habsguru says:

so does this mean that after next year TSN is pooched? Jay and Dan looking smarter and smarter

7. Stevie.Ray says:

TSN needs to steal the broadcasting rights for MLB, UFC, and CHL from Sportsnet.

8. mdp2011 says:

Steve Ladurantaye ‏@sladurantaye 1m
    CBC boss confirms Rogers will assume “all editorial control of Hockey Night in Canada,” including on-air talent.

Let’s hope this means no more Don Cherry.

9. Phil C says:

“In addition, the NHL says the agreement guarantees that there will be no further regionalization of games or local blackouts.”

This is good, right?

10. habs-fan-84 says:

Does Dreger go back to Sportsnet with his tail between his legs?

11. mrhabby says:

I don’t mind this deal at all as long as it is means less of CBC. Make no doubt about it the Rogers telecast will be revamped and expect to see some guys like Dreger , Bob Mac and few others moving over to Sportsnet pushing out those dorks Mclean and Kyper.
    I see alot of folks still use cable. Guys/Ladies call Bell and sign up for Bell Fibe..no more cables in the house and its cheaper and easier to deal with.

So last night I texted one of my Leaf buddies (one of the few who i think is a real bright fan, like all of us here), I simply said to him:
    “WTF is up with your Leafs”

His response was great:
    I don’t know, The only good that came out of that game was Kardri getting slapped around for being an A$%hole.

He then followed that up with,
    Such a selfish player, I’d trade the little blankety blank today.

Edit: Of course then truly showed his Leaf colours and added that “Kadri is just what your club (Habs) need, a 1st line talent, just someone to get in his head that he’s not Gretzky”

13. Cal says:

C’mon, folks. This is the largest tv sports deal in Canadian history and Bell didn’t step up to the plate. Not being able to outbid the CBC and Rogers? Bell is the idiot here.
    Now, I have to find a way to get TVA Sports without it costing my other arm or leg.

14. Mattyleg says:

Man, the NHL gives no sh!ts about their fans, it’s brutally clear.

I don’t care about TSN, I always thought they were insufferable loudmouths (almost as bad as CBC), but to screw RDS was pretty cheap. I have TVA, but it’s just silly to split things like that.

Also, I’ll have to suffer through sub-par commentary from the TVA crowd now.

Ugh. Bettman is such an effing creep.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Cal says:

Didn’t Renaud Lavoie go there?

• mdp2011 says:

NHL didn’t screw RDS, they were outbid by Rogers who sold the French language rights for 22 National Habs games and all playoffs to TVA. There are still 60 “regional” French Habs games up for grabs which any French language TV station can bid on , but sounds like RDS has already reached a deal to keep those games.

• JUST ME says:

This is an awfull deal for the hockey fans. Will cost even more now cause we will need the sports package,the fares will go up and already we are the highest charged in the world for cable fees.
      For the french fans it`s even worse. TVA is not of the same quality level as RDS. Cbc is not puting a cents…sorry a dime of our taxes in the french portion of this deal. I know it`s a cliché but still it is true.

There will be less and less die hard fans that could not afford Bell Center but at least could look at every game on tv. I guess this is what they mean with the rich gets richer…

• DeadEnd says:

Careful about assuming your have TVA…there is an “over-the-air” TVA, which is part of basic cable/satellite packages as well, and there is a TVA Sports, which is extra. I doubt that the basic station will be the one carrying the games. At least not in the long run.

15. habs-fan-84 says:

I too have to voice my disgust for this new TV deal.

The Rogers broadcasts are bush league at best. I understand their budgets are probably going to increase as a result (of the deal) and thus the broadcasts should get better. However, I’m now essentially forced to shell out more money if I want to watch the Habs next season.

Eff that, back to streaming (and all the inconveniences that come with it) I guess.

16. Cal says:

Don’t know about you guys, but I can watch Kadri get punched out all day long!

17. Hobie Hansen says:

What makes this Rogers deal possible is the absurd amount of money people pay for cellphone, internet and TV service. It’s just disgusting. Two smartphones, TV and internet in my household is so f*%$ing expensive it’s ridiculous.

• Cal says:

With my limited income, I don’t bother having a cell phone. Land line with internet and cable tv (including RDS, TSN and SprtsNet) comes in at about $115 tax in per month. That’s a lot to pay already. Adding anything else would be ridiculous.

18. Sportfan says:

What a big middle finger to TSN and RDS I really hate the people who run the NHL. The fact we don’t get all the Habs games on RDS alone is horse crap, I am not adding TVA to my list at all.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

19. Steeltown Hab says:

Man our D would look reaaal good with Beaulieu on the bottom pairing.

What are the odds of this “big splash” happening?

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

20. Hobie Hansen says:

Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs 5m

No. Twenty-two #Habs games reportedly to RDS, 60 to TVA RT @pete2528ca: @Dave_Stubbs @TPrigi I thought it was 60 to RDS?

21. Ozmodiar says:

SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME THAT THE NEW NHL BROADCAST DEAL DOESN’T AFFECT TSN’S “THAT’S HOCKEY 2NITE” WITH STEVE KOULEAS!!! I CAN’T TAKE MORE BAD NEWS!!!

?? WHY AM I SCREAMING ??

22. knob says:

How I enjoy it when the leafs lose. Did anyone see Kadri get punched out after trying to be his usual punk self? That was even better then the Leafs loss.

• Ron says:

Very enjoyable to say the least. Gave the guy a cheap cross check from behind and got his due. As usual another laff grabbed the BJ players jersey to try and give Kadri the upper hand but back fired. He is a punk..

23. Phil C says:

Tough day for TSN, I like their broadcasts. You have to think a lot of the talent will migrate to Sportsnet who will have in increase the size of it’s broadcast team.

24. Propwash says:

FFS, this new deal means I gotta shell out more money for channels I don’t have?

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

25. Gerry H says:

Stubbs reporting that RDS will keep the rights to about 60 Habs games a season. More Pierre Houde!

Silver lining.

Wow, what a tough morning this has been after hearing about Sportsnet. The last time I felt this bad was the afternoon I came home to find out Gainey had traded for Gomez.

Make no mistake about it, TSN is dead. I’m certainly going to miss Bob McKenzie.

I wonder how much Rogers is going to jack up my cable rates during the next decade?

If anybody cares this morning, the Habs now have a five point lead in the playoff race with most teams having played an equal amount of games. Believe it or not, the Habs hit the 1/3 mark of the season on Sunday. Should be interesting to see where they are at that juncture of the season. Four out of six points would be great this week.

I think we are going to see a huge jump in cable fees Steve. I currently added one cost to my cable in order to get RDS thus ensuring I received all Habs games. Now I am sure I will have to maintain RDS and add another package to get TVA, not to mention how I am sure the Sat. and Sunday packages will be an additional cost.

Then there is the issue of terrible personalities covering the NHL. TSN indeed just got kicked to the curb something fierce.

This TV Deal also will ensure another big step up in the Salary Cap, as revenues just got a huge boost.

• chanchilla says:

hockeystreams.com, $100 a year, I don’t have cable because of this.

• Strummer says:

Rogers French language package in GTA includes RDS and TVA so I’ll be OK.

You’re probably on Cogeco- my daughter just moved to Burlington and has nothing good to say about them

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

27. Maritime Ronn says:

The National Hockey League has reached a 12-year, $5.232 billion (Canadian) agreement with Rogers Communications for broadcast and multimedia rights, the League announced jointly with Rogers Communications on Tuesday.

28. John Q Public says:

Could MT reform Andrei Kostitsyn ?

• Habfan10912 says:

LOL. Seriously though I’ve wondered if the Gabs may have somehow missed the boat with his development. An awful lot of talent that seemed to go to waste. Same for his brother.

• third generation haber says:

Kostitsyn often led the team in hits, but had to carefully go about his business because we didn’t have an ounce of muscle to protect him. I do question his character, but feel he would have been much better on a tougher team (meaning any other team in the NHL).

Forwards play better when they know their backs are covered. Team toughness has an infectious effect on teams.

Look at that f#$#$& piece of shite Kadri; he skates around like he’s King Kong because he’s so well protected. Didn’t help him against Calvert though:-)

j.p. murray

29. DipsyDoodler says:

In this day and age networks don’t make any sense. It should all be pay per view.

TV networks are as useful as fax machines and beepers.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Cable is a total pain in the ass. I basically pay $80 a month to watch the Habs games. Otherwise Netflix and other online sites give me what I need. The stupid NHL GameCentre blacks out all games available on local cable so you’re forced to get cable.

30. HankHardball says:

The local City TV affiliate just said there will be NHL games broadcast in Quebec on CBC (possibly Radio Canada), TVA, TVASport, Sportsnet and City TV.

Presumably all Habs games will be broadcast as usual. But adjustments may have to be made to people’s Videotron packages to include TVASport.

31. Hobie Hansen says:

Shocking news with the new NHL TV deal. I guess there’s some good and bad points about it. I moved six months ago and Rogers gave me a much better deal than Bell.
    So living in Ottawa I don’t get those 30 English games on Bell and CBC Montreal is not in HD on Satuarday nights. So I get the occasional Habs game in English in HD on TSN in the middle of the week. I’m guessing I’ll get a few more HD games on Sportsnet throughout the year? Maybe they’ll broadcast the 30 or so English games on Sportsnet East? Hopefully Rogers cable switches all 8 CBC channels to HD starting next year, I know they get a lot of complaints. I don’t mind the French games but my girlfriend doesn’t speak a word of French and looses some interest.

32. SmartDog says:

Re: Bob Cole
    I hate to say this but I agree with EVERYONE. He puts me off too (as BigDawg said) but what I LIKE is that he doesn’t just do line by line, this happened that happened. Cole actually comments on what’s going on, the flow of the game, who is having run-ins with who.

Simply put: Cole wouldn’t be so good except that everyone else is so lame.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

33. third generation haber says:

My nominee for the ultimate piece of excrement/ rat in pro hockey, Nazim Kadri, decided to thug the smallest player on the Columbus line-up last night. And, after delivering several cheap-shots and slashes, he got his ass handed to him. Cheers to Matt Calvert! 3/4 of the league enjoyed that; I’m so glad we don’t have a Kadri equivalent on our team. I’d rather have DD, and I absolutely don’t support DD.

Watch and enjoy!!!
    j.p. murray

• Maritime Ronn says:

^^^ what he said.

Watched the video…oh…let’s say 5 times, and the smile grows each time.
      Clarkson was also technically 3rd man in, but the refs let it go.
      If Kadri doesn’t smarten up and contnues to hide his kittle blue skirt behind the likes of Orr and MaLaren, that is not the worst that will happen to him.

…and this hilarious quote from the pre season melee of Scot/Kessel when Clarkson received a 10 game suspension for leaving the bench:

” …“I was kind of being held back,” said Kadri. “Lupes [teammate Joffrey Lupul] did a good job of keeping me on the bench.”

34. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning everyone. I’ve been out of the loop for the most part the last few days and am very confused about Bourque. Maybe it was my fever talking but I swear I heard people on TSN690 talking about concussion symptoms for Bourque. One “expert” even said he thought Bourque should retire.

Now I hear its a “low body” – groin. Can anyone tell me for sure the stuff I heard (or thought I heard) on TSN was rubbish?

BTW- Anyone know the final score of the Leaf game last night? :)

• Cal says:

Hey Jim. Lower body is all that the team has said. Slight groin pull is a maybe. Another thing is that MB was trying to pull off a trade with a western club for him.

• Ozmodiar says:

> One “expert” even said he thought Bourque should retire.

Complete rubbish followed by back-peddling.

Leaf game: Fell asleep in the 3rd period. The last score I remember is 11-0 for Columbus, but I think I dreamed up a few of those goals. Did Kadri really get his a$$ kicked? I’m guessing that was part of the dream.

• Phil C says:

I heard that, but I believe he was talking about what Bourque went through last year, with the dizziness and nausea, headaches, etc. As for this year and concussions, it was pure speculation.

• habfan01 says:

It’s both a concussion and lower body injury- he’s been playing with his head up his a$$.

35. SmartDog says:

With his mustache, Pacioretty looks like:
    A. A Bare Knuckle Boxer
    B. A WWII Major
    C. Errol Flynn
    D. All of the Above

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

36. DipsyDoodler says:

There was a debate about Bob Cole the other night.

It reminded me of the great German pianist Artur Schnabel. He was born in the 1880s and by the time records came around he had lost a lot of his technique. Coupled with the fact that early technology didn’t allow studio edits to correct mistakes, his recordings are full of wrong notes. But his Beethoven sonata recordings remain the touchstone for many because while he missed a note here and there he got the emotion.

It’s the same with Cole. Who cares if he makes the odd error of fact? He gets the feel of the game.

Speaks also to how there really hasn’t been anyone to pick up the ball and run with it as a hockey play by play guy. Cole indeed has lost a step, but still has a great sound/cadence in his calls.

I find Hughson sounds forced in his play by play, I don’t mind Cuthbert but wonder if what holds him back is he is too much of a tenor and could use more baritone in his voice.

• Bigdawg says:

Bob Cole puts me off

I don’t care about his past. If I listen to him and I feel as though he is:
      Someone who makes constant mistakes (which is kind of entertaining but also very annoying)
      Sounds exicited when we lose (feel free to debate me here. It is what I feel when I listen to him)
      Someone whose life has let him down somehow (and all he has left is broadcasting habs games)

Just my thoughts. But if you appeal to us regarding emotion for Bob Cole, we don’t all see it the same way.

• Habfan10912 says:

I understand completely what you are saying. As a long time subscriber to Center Ice, I’m treated to many out of town broadcast. I’ve come to the conclusion that these folks just don’t do their homework. There is not a period that goes by that players names are called incorrectly.

In defense of Cole though, he’s not anywhere the worse offender and he does have what I think is a hockey voice. Some of these other yo yo’s have as much interest in hockey as my wife does. Makes it hard to listen to.

37. habkin says:

I do not speak French but can understand a bit of hockey lingo while watching RDS. We watch every game of the Habs on RDS except for Saturday nights! I hope RDS does not lose their coverage of the Habs…will they?

So I wondered from the very beginning how Bell and Rogers could possible get in bed together to own the Maple Leafs, it just made no sense to me. I wonder if indeed this National TV deal is perhaps an indicator of how that partnership will play out.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we now see TSN become the primary rightsholder to all Maple Leaf regional games. We have all long joked about how TSN stood for Toronto Sports Network. Perhaps Bell now gets all the regional Toronto games and for much less money than the cost of a National TV deal, and perhaps in a business sense gives them much bigger bang for their buck.

39. Old Bald Bird says:

I don’t know anything about Sportsnet, but I am flummoxed over more CBC coverage, the people who bring us Cherry, Maclean, Cole and Stock. Bah!

40. Maritime Ronn says:

If it is confirmed today that Sportsnet has won some NHL rights, run for your remote and find the ‘Mute Button’ because here comes Doug MacLean.

Yes, that MacLean… that as GM of Columbus, drove the team to the bottom of the NHL from its expansion in 2000- until 2007 when ownership finally wised up and fired him.

This guy as GM, made Mad Mike Milbury look like a genius.

Some brave soul over at HF Boards compiled the complete list of MacLean transactions.
    If one actually reads them, you may need a neck massage after caused by the continuous shaking of head.

Then disaster after disaster of Top draft picks that proves “Tanking” is not all what it’s cranked up to be – especially with a clueless GM.
    Of course every team has its own 1st Round Draft pick disaster story (stories) yet this fella wins the award hands down

2000: 4th overall – Rostislav Klesla
    2001: 8th overall – Pascal Leclaire
    2002: 1st overall – Rick Nash ( a complete no brainer)
    2003: 4th overall – Nikolai Zherdev
    2004: 8th overall – Alexandre Picard
    2005: 6th overall – Gilbert Brule
    2006: 6th overall – Derick Brassard

Oh but Maclean will be more than happy to tell you all about the time he guided the Florida Panthers to the Cup Final!

• DipsyDoodler says:

Here is who he could have picked instead (looking only 3-4 draft places lower – you can’t say he should have picked the late round gems because no one knew about them)

2000: 4th overall – Raffi Torres, Scott Hartnell
      2001: 8th overall – Tuomo Ruutu, Dan Hamhuis
      2002: 1st overall – Rick Nash ( a complete no brainer)
      2003: 4th overall – Ryan Suter, Tomas Vanek
      2004: 8th overall – Ladislav Smid
      2005: 6th overall – Devin Setoguchi, Anze Kopitar
      2006: 6th overall – Kyle Okposo

41. HankHardball says:

No more NHL on TSN or RDS. New Canadian contract goes to Sportsnet. TVASport to handle Habs games.

Very disappointed that TSN didn’t get in on the National Broadcast deal for the league. Living here in the GTA where both TSN and Sportsnet have their Leaf centric headquarters, it is so clear to me how head and shoulders TSN is ahead of Sportsnet in quality of coverage.

Doug MacLean and Nick Kypreos do nothing but yell over each other pronouncing who indeed has the larger manhood, and provide zero hockey insight. Get used to listening to this dog and pony show. Sportsnet in my opinion actually make the CBC hockey coverage seem fair and unbiased.

The sportsnet network has a couple of talented people in Stephen Brunt and Bob McCown, but the Bobcat is strictly a radio host (mind you the highest paid in Canada) and won’t have any impact on hockey coverage per se.

I suspect we will very quickly watch Darren Dreger make the shuffle back to Sportsnet where he began, I think Bob McKenzie will probably try and stick it out at TSN. The real question becomes how badly with Sportsnet try and poach other talent from TSN, the Duthies, Lebrun etc….

Either way, I think Normand (UCe) made a great point in the NHL being foolish for not finding a way to make a long term deal with a partner like TSN whom seem to be a better fit for the league long term.

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi burli

Dreger will probably move over.
      He has a nice cousin contact with the Leafs that being GM Dave Nonis.
      McKenzie and Lebrun will never be out of work either here or in the USA.

TSN or Sportsnet?
      It’s all about business and we’ll keep watching.
      The NHL owes nothing to TSN.

This wil probably end up being similar to when fledgling FOX Sports won the NFL rights from CBS back in 1993

“…Fox lured the National Football League away from CBS in 1993. Fox signed a multi-million dollar contract to broadcast the NFC, which included luring Pat Summerall, John Madden, Dick Stockton, Matt Millen, James Brown, and Terry Bradshaw (as well as many behind-the-scenes production personnel) from CBS Sports as well.”

I just really dislike the Sportsnet brand and they way cover sports. They have done a good job on the radio side, due primarily to their ability to keep Bob McCown from leaving their network as he is the primary sports radio talk show in the GTA. Most everything else about Sportsnet I find really hard to listen to or watch. Along with Maclean and Kypreos they have John Shannon who is also difficult to listen to.

Morning Ron!

• Ozmodiar says:

Give it time. I’m sure the personalities will be shuffled around a bit (although, not Dreger). Maybe SN will do things a bit differently when they aren’t in pursuit of TSN – a bit more toned down, perhaps.

Also, with SN as the national leader, their coverage will be more scrutinized – more difficult to tune out. If guys like Kipper don’t appeal to the masses, they’ll be gone.

43. DipsyDoodler says:

Interesting analysis from our friends down the 401. They try to assess the contribution of d-men by comparing them to an average player placed in the same situation.

Essentially they compute your expected Corsi (attempted shot differential, a measure of puck possession) based on who you play with and against, TOI, and zone starts, then see how much better or worse than average you are. They look at offensive and defensive values separately (since they are uncorrelated).

PK Subban comes out as head and shoulders the best in the league in Corsi For Differential. What surprised me is he is 2nd best behind Chara over the past 6 years!

Andrei Markov also makes the top ten this year.

More surprising perhaps is that the Habs have two defencemen in the defensive calculation (Gorges and Diaz).

You have to wonder whether this stat is ONLY a measure of individual performance and doesn’t also include some aspects of team play. However, note that most of the other top ten are not only from the very best teams.

44. Habitant in Surrey says:

…if correct, Bell being out-flanked by Rogers, means heads will certainly roll at Bell’s top executive

…the whole idea of Bell’s investment in CTV, TSN, da Weeds and Habs, is content content content needed for their internet and broadcasting

…what’s left but the crumbs

• Maritime Ronn says:

Generally speaking, any industry deemed or alleged to hover close to being an oligopoly has to tread carefully and show some semblance of ‘competition’ once in a while.
      There is something called The Competition Act in Canada.
      Not to worry about BCE/Rogers. If they were truly competitors, then how does one explain how they both own 37.5% of MLSE…the parent company of the Leafs, Raptors, TorontoFC, the ACC, Leafs TV,….Big Boys and their Big Toys.

45. jols101 says:

SportsCenter and That’s Hockey 2Nite ALWAYS start with the Leafs highlights. Tonight the Leafs get pummeled and they start with Vancouver highlights. Coincidence?

• Maritime Ronn says:

I see you noticed that also.
      It’s actually comical.
      The web site does the same thing especially after the Saturday night games.
      If the Leafs win, they stay the top hockey story for most of Sunday.
      If they lose?
      Buried further down

46. Un Canadien errant says:

The Canadiens have released Erik Nystrom from his 25-game Professional Try-Out contract with the Hamilton Bulldogs. While he showed promise early and some skill, the tangible results were still not apparent. He had tallied five points in 17 games.

Practically, this doesn’t affect the team’s future plans too much. He had been picked up at the 2012 Draft with a sixth round pick, and was touted by Trevor Timmins as a possible dark-horse surprise candidate. The Canadiens’ scouting staff had come to know Mr. Nystrom while scouting another player, and had been impressed by some aspects of his game, namely speed, effort and skill. So the Hail Mary didn’t connect on this one.

Mr. Nystrom has already entered a contract to play in the KHL, apparently. He’ll get an opportunity to work on his game and continue to develop. Obviously, the equation as of now didn’t add up, he wasn’t seen as being worth one of the 50 contracts the organization is limited to.

The only qualm I have about this is how the Canadiens’ organization that June was bereft of a goalie prospect. Aside from Carey Price, there were no frontline options on the team, even down the line a bit. So when the sixth round came along, I fully expected us to take a developmental guy, someone who would need to work on his game for a while, but had some tools and upside. Maybe some longshot European goalie, or a LHJMQ kid playing on a poor team, without great stats but facing lots of rubber and getting an education, but quick.

Sure enough, Victoriaville’s Brandon Whitney was still available then, but the Canadiens passed him over in favour of Mr. Nystrom. The Blackhawks claimed Brandon Whitney in the seventh round. The rich get richer.

———————————————————————–
    … you know, because there’s no way hundreds of overcompetitive stars with massive egos would ever cheat to gain an edge with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake.–Bill Simmons

47. Un Canadien errant says:

And another thing. Instead of playing either/or, why couldn’t the NHL convince both networks to take a portion each. That’s what the other leagues do. The NFL is on three major networks, plus ABC’s ESPN, and has a Thursday Night game on the NFL network. And nobody complains there’s too much football.

The earlier article that described how the CBC would keep HNIC, but relinquish some of the games, and TSN and Sportsnet would share these spoils, and a new Sunday night game, seemed ideal. But way to drive that into the ditch Gary. How’s that ice rink in L.A. coming along?

All the posters who during Bettman Lockout #3 kept harping on how shrewd he was and what a great negotiator he was, and how you couldn’t deny that he had “grown the game”, please now refudiate Palin-style your previous bouquets.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I’ve been watching Mark Cohon, the CFL’s Commissioner over the past few years

…and thinking this is a guy with all the intangibles and tangibles that would be perfect for the NHL

48. jols101 says:

I think the only people to be upset with are the folks that run Bell Canada. They clearly didn’t step to the plate and open up their wallets. It’s not like they don’t have the money. Everything is about the money, always has been, always will be.

Now we can only hope CBC and Sportsnet pillage the talent pool at TSN and get rid of the bums they have analyzing the NHL.

49. commandant says:

TSN frozen out of National Coverage. So now what, Where does TSN go after this news…. some speculation.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

50. johnnylarue says:

Lemme get this straight: TSN/Bell was outbid by the CBC!?!?

The mind boggles.

51. Un Canadien errant says:

After Bettman Lockout #2, the NHL was going to hold a rushed by-conference-call draft lottery, with the grand prize being Sidney Crosby. TSN knew this was crazy, told them to back up a second, and convinced them to at least do a studio draw, with a bit of hosting and analysis from their crew. Made sense, to maybe cover who got the drafting the rights to the best junior player since Eric Lindros.

And this is how the NHL and Bettman repay them, for helping save them from themselves. Way to treat a partner that has done everything right so far in covering and hyping your league. Kick ‘em out and get in bed with Homer Joe Bowen and Nick Kypreos.

I want to throw up.

• johnnylarue says:

They had a good team and an infinitely more compelling product than either the CBC or, god forbid, Sportsnet. Hopefully the dissolution will result in a much needed talent infusion for the “lucky” winners…

52. Rob says:

The positive out of NHL ditching TSN:

TSN, which i think most would agree is the superior sports network, will be forced to pick up more coverage of other leagues that are run better than the NHL (re: every other league). They will then do a great job promoting those leagues and increasing their popularity in Canada, just as they did for the NHL. The NHL will see it’s popularity dwindle in its main revenue generator (Canada) and be forced to actually not be the suckiest league that ever did suck. TA DAAA!

Thanks NHL, for being so incompetent that your incompetence will force you to become competent!

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

53. Stevie.Ray says:

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Official announcement expected Tuesday by NHL: CBC and Rogers have exclusive English-language NHL rights deal. Believed to be 12 year deal.

There it is.

Terrible. There is no network that has done more for the NHL than tsn in recent years. Draft day, free agent frenzy, trade enter, all star games, preseason, mock drafts… This was all tsn hype.

Now the talent will be poached. Duthie will go to Sportsnet, Dreger will go to CBC, Mckenzie will go to the states, hopefully Miller finds a spot to land.

And then the WJC, which will still be on TSN, will be crap because their analysts are gone. NHL is so stupid.

• Sportfan says:

The NHL has gone down a pathetic path, but from a few things I have read it doesn’t seem like TSN is completely out of the picture just yet.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Stevie.Ray says:

As of this morning everyone expected all three would get a piece of the NHL. As of 15 minutes ago, we know that tsn is out. They still have WJC but what good is that if they are going to lose Miller, Mckenzie, Dreger, Duthie, Lebrun and others.

• commandant says:

TSN will likely go hard after the 5 regional broadcasts that Sportsnet now has (Leafs, Oilers, Flames, Canucks, Sens).

They already have the Jets and Habs.

It may be region specific coverage, but they will get games out there and keep some of those analysts.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Un Canadien errant says:

This is just crazy. Another example of the NHL being penny-wise and pound-foolish. Grinding out the last dollar, choosing questionable partners when they should instead establish long-term, fruitful partnerships with great companies. This is like choosing Versus over ESPN all over again.

Now I have to suffer through hours of Nick Kypreos ‘analysis’?

54. Habilis says:

I’m pretty sure I remember Boone writing something about enjoying the TSN broadcast this past Friday vs. Columbus.

Well Boone, you’ve done it this time. You jinxed TSN right out of hockey coverage.

12 years of CBC and Sportsnet. Le sigh.

I guess all the best people will move over though, so it won’t be all bad. Still, crappy for TSN for sure.

55. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Just watched the youtoob of Calvert cleaning Kadti’s clock. That was wonderful to behold. Kadri acts like a punk, and Calvert wastes no time getting the gloves off and just going at Kadri. I’m happy to see that, although he dropped the gloves first, Calvert didn’t draw the instigator. Justice is also a dish best served cold, and with two fists.

56. The_Truth says:

2 more goals by Alex Steen tonight in the Blues 3-0 win over Minny.

What is going on with that guy. Unbelievable. MVP of the league so far this season.

57. Un Canadien errant says:

Reading BriPro’s post about the NHL lawsuit and the list of the ten players involved, what astounds me is how there used to be an NHL’er named Morris Titanic and I’ve never heard of him before. Ever.

• johnnylarue says:

Borderline mean-spirited thing to say, but here goes anyway: you’d have to be a pretty mediocre hockey player not to become massively famous with a name like that.

58. Sportfan says:

Just found this article from SB Nation related to the money being thrown around in these deals.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

59. Sportfan says:

If TSN or RDS lose their hockey rights then the NHL has really gone to the dogs. These two channels actually give a damn about hockey and give us ridiculous amount of coverage, yes its some times nauseating, but it still gives us a lot of info that isn’t Bruins and Leafs all the freaking time.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

60. T-roy West says:

Lets go all out and trade for Evander Kane and Dustin Byfuglien. Forwards that I would like Montreal to target for the future are Evander Kane, Bo Horvat, Chris Stewart, Zack Kassian, Tom Wilson and Anthony Mantha.

61. Stevie.Ray says:

The only way I could accept TSN losing the rights is if CBC then fires Stock, Healy, Cherry, all those in game losers, and they hire Duthie, Miller, Ferraro, Mckenzie, Lebrun and they actually make HNiC worth watching.

62. Un Canadien errant says:

The shills at Sportsnet during intermission, going to commercial break:

“When we come back, we’ll talk about blah blah blah, and touch on the lawsuit of former players against the NHL if we have time.”

63. SUMO says:

LOL I just saw the Kadri vs Calvert fight. Hey Nazem, now you know why your teammates held you back against the Sabres because you would have gotten your butt kicked if you did get into a scrap. What a tool.

Of all you people, Captain Pike says it the best.

Reimer 6 goals on 21 shots… Yeah, he should be on the Olympic team :)

• dr. gesundheit says:

Well, let’s not crow too loud and long… he does have the Leaf defence in front of him…and, it wasn’t that long ago that Carey let in 6 vs the Loafs and sunny Jim.

66. Stevie.Ray says:

Bob mckenzie just made an interesting tweet:

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Pains me to report this, but NHL closing in on landmark CDN TV deal with two CDN networks. Many years (10+), many billions. #overandout

Now just today I read that CBC and the NHL have pretty much come to terms on how HNIC will remain on CBC on Saturday.

The article then said that Sportsnet was pushing hard to get a Nationally broadcasted game for Sunday nights and that it was looking like it would happen.

That would mean there would be a nationally broadcasted game featuring a Canadian team on Saturday on CBC, Sunday on sportsnet, and Wednesday on tsn. Cool, right?

Except Mckenzie said it pains him to say it, and only two networks are close to signing a deal. Could TSN be getting squeezed out? The article said TSN was the furthest from making a deal with the NHL. I hope this isn’t so, because tsn is clearly the best hockey broadcast on tv.

Maybe there is more to this than I know.

• Timo says:

I disagree. RDS is the best broadcaster of hockey because they don’t spend time on their knees blowing the leafs’ horn.

• Stevie.Ray says:

Rds is owned by TSN isn’t it? So they would be losing their rights too, no?

And tsn is miles ahead of the other English speaking networks

• Timo says:

That I don’t know. For me all that matters is that I can watch Habs. NHL is a turn off in general so I would not miss not watching other teams (which I don’t anyway). I know, I am selfish that way.

Being that RDS shows all 82 Habs games it looks like they may have a separate deal with the league. I don’t know. If they go, I am sure some other network (TVA) will pick up the Habs.

• slyCH says:

Say it ain’t so, RDS is the only broadcast I can stomach.

• Rob says:

I believe the NHL’s agreement with RDS is separate to its agreement with TSN. The only threat to TSN would be if TVA gets french rights. Either way, Habs games should be broadcasted in French SOMEWHERE, and really that’s all that matters. Although I agree that, of all the English broadcasting stations TSN is by far the best.

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

• Sportfan says:

RDS would go head over heals to get the Habs rights and not lose it to the clowns who run TVA sport.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

67. Un Canadien errant says:

I used to dislike Ben Scrivens. Nothing personal. Didn’t like him. Leaf. Kind of a weird name. Way too much hype for an undrafted journeyman goalie.

But now, he’s a Los Angeles King, and I love the guy. Coincidentally, he also happens to be on my fantasy team, since I showed my customary far-sightedness to pick him up when Jonathan Quick went down with a groin strain and an open-ended return date. And it’s been paying off in spades, and shutouts galore.

He’s playing against the Canucks tonight, and I had to choose between him and Roberto. I had to sit Roberto, even though he’s playing at home, the Kings have been that good. So far so good, he’s halfway through a SO now, with 18 saves.

Another factor to consider is how inept the Canucks’ offence has been, with normally reliable forwards like Alex Burrows and Ryan Kesler not producing. Their powerplay, which used to be lethal, has been impotent this year, after a promising start. I’m still convinced Yannick Weber could have made a big difference there…

———————————————————————–

• Marc10 says:

The Canucks have to retool. I would look at moving Kesler to restock the cupboard while he still has value. Surely there’s a playoff bound team that would love to add his grit and veteran leadership. (Looking at you Detroit.) Maybe for a pick, a young NHL forward with upside and a prospect.

Weird how Weber didn’t work out for them. He really lost confidence after the promising start to his career. I recall when the Habs had him playing the ‘Mark Streit hybrid forward role’, he was dangerous and pretty handy in the playoffs against the Bruins… You’d think he would have built on that or benefited from the change of scenery out in Van.

Nice pick up with Scrivens. Anderson in Ottawa is killing my pool these days. Thank the maker I also have Price.

• johnnylarue says:

I really feel like Habs management ruined Weber.

He showed a lot of promise early on, but his willingness to play as a 4th liner backfired as it almost appeared to minimize his value as a defenseman in the eyes of management.

Weber virtually became an ineffective fourth line plugger who could only play defense on power-plays, rather than a defenseman who could sub in on the fourth line when needed. And skewed positions aside, he must have sat for like 2,000 games (or close to it?) Can’t be good for a relatively young kid’s confidence, let alone development.

• Phil C says:

The problem with Weber is that he never took the next step in his development defensively. Even a power play specialist must be able to take a regular shift 5-on-5. With the Habs, his positioning and reading of the play was so bad that he was getting beat badly on the rush to the point where Martin has no choice but to bench him. He has great offensive skills, but that’s not enough unfortunately.

68. johnnylarue says:

Call it diminished expectations, call it misplaced priorities, call it what you will: the simple fact that Nazem Kadri doesn’t play for the Habs rates as an epic win in my books.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I had that initial inkling when he was drafted, and chastised myself, thinking I was behaving like one of the scouts on “Moneyball”, unimpressed with how a player ‘looked’ and dismissing the actual performance. And I hoped it wasn’t anything worse than that.

Now I’m very comfortable with my initial instinct. All the evidence I’ll ever need is in. Punk. Dirty player. Ridiculous pronouncements. “Hold me back!”

Save a seat for me on your bandwagon.

69. Habitant in Surrey says:

…just watching the replays of the Bluejackets’ goals on the Weeds on TSN

…Reimer may want one or two back, but at least 4 were the result of turn-overs, 2 on 1s by/on the Weeds, and their pylons leaving Reimer to his fate

…50 shots on the Weeds against the Capitals, and the seeming consistency to be out-shot, tells Me that the Habs speed to close time and space should be successful against the Weeds

…logically it seems inevitable that other teams will feast on what the Weeds are feeding them over time

…the goaltending, although outstanding in TO, I can’t see compensating their lack of defense in the longterm

70. PrimeTime says:

I just watched highlights of Leafs loss and the best was Kadri slashing the CBJ player when he was challenged to a fight and then getting clocked…..lil pr_ck!!

71. DipsyDoodler says:

Odjick is about to beat up Francois Gagnon.

He’s literally demented.

72. DipsyDoodler says:

OMG.

Laraque, Odjick and Mario Roberge on l’antichambre.

This is the worst. These guys are like the dumb hoods in a crime flick. The guy who gets killed by Joe Pesci.

Odjick is completely demented.

73. Habitant in Surrey says:

…can You believe I was modded not because of anything profane or radical …I lost 20 minutes of My life losing the original post that I intended because of an APOSTROPHE

…plus, the following 2 hours it took Me weeding-out all the possibilities of WHY ??? I was modded :(

…anyhow, da Weeds being pasted by da Blue Collars eventually made the pain go away :)