Habs’ Pacioretty named NHL’s second star of week

The Canadiens’ Max Pacioretty was named the NHL’s second star of the week on Monday after leading all players with five goals last week, including two game-winners, as the Habs won three straight games.

The five goals give Pacioretty 7-2-9 totals in 15 games this season.

Pittsburgh’s Evgeni Malkin was named the NHL’s first star after leading all players with seven assists and eight points in four games. Edmonton goalie Devan Dubnyk was named the third star after posting a 2-0-0 record with a 0.50 goals-against average and .974 save percentage.

Meanwhile, the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League announced on Monday that former Canadiens defenceman Patrice Brisebois and current Canadiens assistant coach Gerard Gallant will be among the four new inductees into the QMJHL Hall of Fame.

Brisebois and Gallant will be joined by Jean-Luc Phaneuf and Normand Caisse at the official induction ceremony slated for April 2, 2014.

Brisebois played 208 games in the QMJHL, posting 258 points, and won the Presidents Cup twice with Laval, in 1989 and 1990.  He also won two gold medals with Team Canada at the world junior championships in 1990 and 1991. Brisebois is now a player development coach with the Canadiens.

Gallant played three seasons in the QMJHL, starting in 1980-81, when he posted 41-60-101 totals in 68 games as a rookie with the Sherbrooke Castors. During his three seasons in the QMJHL, Gallant accumulated 321 points and 706 penalty minutes.

After enjoying a day off Sunday, the Canadiens stayed away from the ice for a second straight day on Monday with the players doing off-ice training in Brossard.

Rene Bourque, who has been sidelined with a lower-body injury, is skating but there was no word on when he might return to the lineup.

The Canadiens return to action Wednesday when they visit the Buffalo Sabres (7 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690). The Habs will be in Washington Friday (5 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690) before facing the Toronto Maple Leafs Saturday at the Bell Centre (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

(Photo by Richard Wolowicz/Getty Images)

Malkin, Pacioretty, Dubnyk named NHL’s stars of the week, NHL.com

Gallant honoured by QMJHL, by Pat Hickey

Locker-room interviews (video), Canadiens.com

Four new members to be inducted into QMJHL Hall of Fame, qmjhl.ca

NHL, Rogers reach 12-year broadcast deal, montrealgazette.com

NHL rumours: Habs eye “big splash” trade, sportsnet.ca

Canadiens valued at $775 million by Forbes, Stu on Sports blog

Scotty Bowman earns “Biggest Brain” honour from THN, Stu on Sports blog

McGill honours Babcock, montrealgazette.com

Bulldogs goalie Tokarski named AHL Player of the Week, hamiltonbulldogs.com

1. Hobie Hansen says:

Here is an example of what the broadcast schedule would have looked like this past Saturday: https://twitter.com/PR_NHL/status/405342303608258561/photo/1

This actually works for me because I would have gotten the Habs game in English in HD in Ottawa.

2. Sportfan says:

M.D’Agostini On Waivers remember him?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

3. Sportfan says:

RDS might not be posting much on their site but Francois Gagnon has been saying a lot on twitter

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

4. Sportfan says:

A few questions related to this so Stubbs said 60 games will still be on RDS correct? Does TSN still have regional coverage of the games?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

5. frontenac1 says:

Hey amigos! You have missed a very important aspect of the Sportsnet deal. There will be more of this!

6. habfaninottawa says:

This all makes me feel even better about canceling my cable package. Now I just need to find a decent/good site to stream the Habs games on

• Hobie Hansen says:

I’d like to do the same but the problem is that they are unreliable and often not in HD. I like to sit down, crack a beer and watch the game, with no screwing around. No closing adds, streams crashing and not being in HD.

7. habfaninottawa says:

This all makes me feel even better about canceling my cable package. Now I jut need to find a decent/good site to stream the Habs games on

8. Hobie Hansen says:

I have Rogers cable in Ottawa. I presently get all 82 Habs games in French/HD on RDS. I rarely see an English game in HD because CBC Montreal is not in HD on Rogers in Ottawa. So I only see an English game in HD if it is the main game on TSN during the week or the Leafs or Sens aren’t playing at 7PM on Saturday. I don’t get those 30 English games that Bell subscribers get.

My question, will I get more Habs games in English in HD in Ottawa starting next season? I guess it’s too early to tell?

• Timo says:

You know what would be helpful if any of these companies actually cared about the fans? They would have a nice table for each team with a breakdown of how many games one could watch on which channel. THAT would be helpful. But that would be too much.

9. Bill says:

People are actually feeling bad for TSN? Why?

This was a battle between two greedy corporations. One won, the other lost.

We will still be watching Habs games and paying money to do so.

No change here. And I really don’t care about TSN.

10. B says:

Like a player, the NHL is well within it’s rights to simply accept the biggest contract offer it can get. Loyalty or quality of the team chosen is typically not as significant as the size of the contract. The rhetoric being thrown about today is mostly meaningless, like the sound bytes we hear whenever a player signs with a new team (great fans, love the city, looking forward to blah blah blah…)

Considering the huge price paid and how significantly more that price is than the previous (current) contract, Rogers will likely be looking for ways to pass that huge cost down to the consumers, i.e. us.

–Go Habs Go!–

11. DipsyDoodler says:

Screw Mike Babcock and his McGill tie. The guy bugs me and always has. I know everyone loves him but Don Cherry could’ve coached those ’07-’08 Wings (seems like a long time ago now) to the big prize.

1. He’s falling prey to the old libel that PK is bad on D. This is on par with “he doesn’t know his place”, “is disrespectful” (remember that?). PK is tied for 12th among D men in plus/minus. Yes, the stat is not very useful, but it suggests he isn’t “untrustworthy” on D.

2. What do you mean by untrustworthy Mike? Wouldn’t want your daughter to date him? If you saw him at night you’d lock your car doors? F*** you. Seriously. F*** you.

3. Is Shea Weber (-6) untrustworthy, Mike? Because a -6 player might be more untrustworthy than a +9 player. Why aren’t you telling Shea Weber he needs your trust on defence, Mike? Is he more trustworthy because he’s a good kid from the prairies [Note: I have no idea where Weber is from?].

4. “you don’t put people on the ice you don’t trust,” PK is head and shoulders the best Canadian d-man this year and last, perhaps with the exception of Duncan Keith. But PK is “untrustworthy”. That is code for … what exactly?

5. Go Finland!

12. Mike D says:

TSN *WAS* the last redeeming quality of Bell. Now that they’ve been shut out of the national broadcast rights- along with RDS taking a significant blow of lost Habs game broadcasts – Bell is altogether useless to me.

I honestly don’t see how Bell could have possibly f*’d this up, but they found a way.

Sportsnet is absolutely terrible as is the CBC. And if you think there’s going to be drastic changes to Cherry and Coach’s Corner you would likely be incorrect – it’s a hugely successful segment so why change it if it works (regardless of how stupid it actually is).

While I’m sure Sportsnet will get a talent influx of some of the TSN guys, they’re not going to bring EVERYBODY over and some of their own guys will remain. Overall, the quality of broadcasts and colour commentary will be lower than what TSN provides today.

One final thought, while we all dub TSN the Toronto Sports Network, the folks at Sportsnet are MUCH bigger Leafs homers than the TSN guys. Steve Kouleas might be a little hyper, but at least he’s a Habs guy, and while I would prefer non-bias reporting, having one Habs guy provides some balance over the far-too-numerous Leafs guys.

So there it is……F.U. to Rogers/Sportsnet, CBC, the NHL…..and to Bell/TSN for dropping the ball and subjecting me to the piss-poor quality of the former.

- Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

13. twilighthours says:

I never expected to care much about sports broadcasters but man am I ever sad for TSN. The people there deserve so much better than this.

I posted down below, but here is a very good breakdown of what the new TV deal means for CBC.

15. habs-fan-84 says:

On an unrelated note, the NHL scheduling this year has been atrocious!

16. naweed235 says:

I don’t think there is a more professional french play by play announcer than Pierre Houde and Marc Denis is a fantastic in game analyst. I’m definitely gonna miss the famous “Tir et le Buuuuut”. No one can bring the same excitement as Pierre.

17. Bill says:

Just a Habs Fan: interesting point about young people attaching to individual players, but I think that has always happened.

On the one hand you have die-hard fans of mostly older teams who are fans because they were raised that way. Like me. And my son, ha.

On the other hand you have people who became Oilers fans because of Gretzky, Penguins fans because of Lemieux or Crosby, and so on.

Two different types of fans I guess.

It’s true that there are a lot of Boston fans here in NB. It’s because Boston is close. But I would say the majority here are Habs fans.

18. twilighthours says:

I’m trying hard to see the positives in one single company owning all of the hockey broadcasting rights in Canada at the same time it owns a large chunks of the Leafs.

• Kooch7800 says:

Monopoly is never good

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• krob1000 says:

You need to alter your perspective. If not for idiots I would not feel better about myself. This move will inevitably lead to a greater number of Leaf fan/idiots and can only be seen as something that will lead to bolstered self esteem for those who are not media manufactured Leaf robots.

19. krob1000 says:

I am unclear…are there still anumber of other games up for grabs without Canadian teams? Could this mean TSn could broadcast more teams we never see much of? or are they basically shutout of hockey? There would be a huge Red Wings market, Penguins, Hawks, etc. This could be a blessing and lead to more hockey in a sense if so…..TSN could show more of the other teams and those could potentially create fan bases for other teams out of Canada. Canadians fil the majority of the rosters and if they amrketed the other players better ie Stamkos, Tavares, Toews,etc and people started watching those games more it could possibly result in more hockey no? I don’t get how this will all work and I am afraid…very afraid…trying to find silver linings. Don Cherry could go to TSN…do broadcasts for other teams,etc….people would still tune in for his show regardless of the gaem as he usually talks about more than just the Leafs anyway.

• mdp2011 says:

No. Rogers has the rights for all games in Canada. The only thing that TSN can do is bid for some local TV rights of some Canadian teams when those contracts are up. For example, they have local rights for 30 Habs games for the next few years, but they can only show them in Montreal. Same thing with the 30 Winnipeg Jets regional games that they can only show in Winnipeg. They will not have any national games for the next 12 years.

20. Lafrich says:

A total tangent, but I was looking at Mikko Koivu’s stats, and decided to compare to Saku’s. Unbelievable:

Games G A P
    1071 246 560 806
    Per G 0.23 0.53 0.75

561 124 295 419
    Per G 0.22 0.53 0.75

21. New says:

I think my two new hockey hero’s are Greg Devorski for waving off Clarkson and Clarkson for listening. The most surprised guy in the place was Kadri. Close second was Carlyle.

• Bun E. Laroque says:

Clarkson had no business intervening. If you elbow someone in the back of the head be prepared to face the consequences. Couldn’t happen to a nicer guy.

• Phil C says:

Especially since Calvert is only 5’10″ and 187lbs. Kadri shouldn’t need anyone to defend him, especially since he started it. Hopefully he’ll start playing with more respect now.

22. Bun E. Laroque says:

Sure was enjoyable watching Kadri get punched in the head last night. On top of the leafs getting smoked 6 nothing.

• Kooch7800 says:

I hope it happens more often. I love how he two handed the guy and then didn’t want to drop the gloves. It spoke volumes. I loved him getting smoked

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

23. Bill says:

Sports Broadcasting is all about money, so I wouldn’t expect drastic changes at CBC. Love him or hate him, Don Cherry remains the highest rated thing on Canadian TV. That means money.

Rogers is paying a fortune just for rights. They also have the massive expense of producing games and paying talent. They’re gonna need every red cent for this deal to ever be profitable.

I suspect the deal itself will never be profitable. Looks like a loss-leader to me. The money they make off it will come from higher cable rates, sports packages, and fees.

24. JM says:

Bourque to the jets for evander kane who would MB have to part with.

25. krob1000 says:

TSN would be wise to get on the football train and fast…..Football is growing more and popular by the day in many regions and now that a solid childrens football prgram is in place in most cities it will eventually be as big as hockey. I am a part time football fan but its appeal is widescoped with so many kids of all shapes and sizes able to play…there is a role for most body types with any athletic ability, the cost is low and unlike soccer it is pretty exciting. Still have the contact and fast pace,etc….TSN start investing very heavily in football so you can be around when the new contract is up….if they play their cards right I suspect TSN could grow equally with football and soccer and be a contender for the next bidding war.

26. Luke says:

From NHL Public Relations tweet;

“There will be no further regional games or local blackouts. Rogers has exclusive window to broadcast any game w/ Canadian team Wed/Sat/Sun.”

Of note:
    FURTHER
    and
    Wed/Sat/Sun

• krob1000 says:

hmmm….anyone got an in with the schedule maker?

• Kooch7800 says:

They also said:

Gary Bettman: NHL Centre Ice will be now be sold and marketed by Rogers in Canada.

They will make their money. Rogers is shelling out huge money so something tells me the costs will be coming our way. It is a true monopoly now for the country. Canada has way to many monopolies in certain sectors and that is why Canadians pay way more for things then they should have to

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

27. Chuck says:

Maybe I’ve just been spoiled all along expecting to see every Hab game on the same channel with one subscription fee.

Nah… screw Rogers. I can’t wait until the “premium” Hab games end up being available for $6.99 apiece on pay-per-view.
    _______________________
    Anything is possible.

28. krob1000 says:

I wonder what Shea Hillenbrand would write on the TSN chalkboard?

29. twilighthours says:

Really crappy internet at work here today (guess I’ll actually have to do work, boo). Here are my thoughts, probably re-hashed.

Not a fan of this TV deal.

1) Is this the end of TSN? Will it go back to showing darts and the Westminster Dog Show on re-runs? That’s sad for me

2) TSN has, by far, the best overall hockey package. Best in-game commentating, best between-periods folks, best highlights. Definitely the on-air personalities at TSN are far, far superior to the mutton-heads at Sportsnet.

3) TSN really upped the bar on hockey coverage in the last decade. To see them move the industry forward only to get shut out of TV rights is unjust, in my opinion. If justice exists in a scenario like this.

3) I’m on BellAliant in Halifax. I get every Habs game (at least French, half in English too) without any hitches and in hi-def. I don’t even know what TVA is. Half the Sportsnet channels I get are low-def. 95% of the TV that I watch is live sporting events, the other 5% is news. I only have a TV for live sporting events. Will I still be able to get my Habs? That remains unclear.

• SPATS says:

You can rest easy, the TSN talent will move over to Rogers just like Koivu moved to the ducks. It’s a free market and your subscription to a new Rogers sportsnet hi def option will pay for it. TVA will scoop the RDS crew and we won’t have to put up with Don Cherry anymore. Sounds like a win win

OOH AAH – ULTRAMAN’S ON THE WARPATH

• Un Canadien errant says:

Wrong. RDS will still be broadcasting 60 games a year for the next while. So now we’ll have to have two cable channel subscriptions, one for RDS, one for TVA, and have to suffer through the poorer-quality TVA games.

30. krob1000 says:

I wonder if Dan and Jay are happy they made their move when they did?

31. kirkiswork says:

Babcock says Subban will have to be a trustworthy defenseman to make team Canada, last time I checked P.K. was a +7, that seems pretty trustworthy. He also said that players need to be able to skate on 200 feet of rink. Nobody skates like P.K.

32. frontenac1 says:

Screw RDS! They promised to show the Lingerie Football League last year and didn’t.

33. krob1000 says:

I wonder if Jon Bon Jovi would like to buy a network?

34. SPATS says:

Listening to CBC news 10 minutes ago on Radio 2, it is clear that Cherry’s days are numbered. They emphasized that Rogers will have final say on editorial content. CEO and Pres of Rogers is Nadir Mohamed. Assuming he’s muslim, you can bet he’s tired of an old white f-tard shaping peoples thinking with his dusty and dated opinions. The world is rapidly changing folks, for better or worse, best be ready to roll with it.

Spats out

OOH AAH – ULTRAMAN’S ON THE WARPATH

Key to this whole deal is Keith Pelley, he was the brains behind TSN for years and I believe he was also a key person when the Vancouver Olympics were a joint bid. He is now working for Rogers and is the guy behind the scenes who made this deal happen (besides obvious money).

One wonders if Bell/TSN didn’t just get way to cocky/overconfident in thinking they were clearly going to get the deal.

36. frontenac1 says:

I’d like to see Coaches corner with Grapes and Le Tigre with Bert Raymond sitting in the middle.

37. kirkiswork says:

Does this mean we will need a new NHL theme song. Didn’t CBC sell the song rights to CTV/TSN?

Must have been tough for TSN to post this on their website.

39. DipsyDoodler says:

Check out Gino Odjick on l’Antichambre.

He looks like Frankenstein and seems to be suffering from early dementia. Francois Gagnon must’ve peed his pants though.

Maybe it’s all for the better. NHL as a league and its product are more of a turn off than excitement. Perhaps watching it is no longer worth the money and the hassle. We shall see.

• gumper says:

I’m with you Timo. Finding it harder and harder to justify spending three hours of my life watching a mediocre product which shows little promise of improving in the long run. Certainly doubt I’ll be subscribing to two channels or buying an expensive umbrella network to view all Habs games next year. Just not worth it. Maybe I’ll just have to go back to tuning in when Habs play the Buds…half a dozen thrills per year may be all my aging heart can take anyway!!

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
      Mark Twain

• Habsrule1 says:

Not worth it to watch Habs games?!?

I hope I never get that old.

Go Habs Go!!

• Kooch7800 says:

Being in Ontario i pay for the french package from Rogers so I can get RDS and the habs games. It costs around 10 dollars a month. Not a biggie. if that is not an option moving forward and they force me to pay for the NHL package….I won’t watch it. I will not spend 30 dollars a month to watch hockey

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

41. jimmy shaker says:

What about 24CH?

Shaker out!

42. Say Ash says:

Look for a new season of mini-putt on RDS to fill the void.

43. Propwash says:

BRING BACK THE GLOWING PUCK!!!

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

44. Gerry H says:

So this adds $100 MM to HRR. If my math is correct, that alone will bump the cap up another ~$1.7 MM next year and ~$8.5 MM/yr by the end of the deal.

45. RobbyLins says:

I kinda like the new TV deal. RDS was getting redundant, and seemed to be losing major talent (Pedneault, Lavoie, etc) to TVA anyway.

I also love the effect this will have on my Montreal Impact. People are desperate to have access to games on TV, but were always reluctant to buy into TVA Sports. This news should begin to change that…

Does this mark the fall of L’Antichambre and the return of 110%? That would be epic.

As for the English stuff, not much changes. I’d assume Rogers steals some of TSN’s staff talent, who will be easily persuaded seeing as the top guns need to be on the top networks. Mind you –TSN 690 asked Dreger how long his current deal with Bell/CTV is this morning, and it doesn’t expire for another 7 years. Perhaps Bell/CTV saw this coming years ago…

To the people saying “the NHL threw TSN/RDS under the bus” and other nonsense like it, you clearly have no idea how the business works.

Would you refuse more money?

• Gerry H says:

I’m inclined to agree, but also think people are being too quick with TSN’s obituary. Much as it pains me to say so, we are probably at “peak hockey” right now in terms of media influence. Kids today are more likely to play soccer than hockey. As we boomers and Gen-Xers die off, that will be reflected in TV viewing audiences more and more. I suspect that $500 MM per season at the end of this deal is going to be, in real terms, the most the NHL will ever extract from the Canadian media market.

TSN just might find itself in a more profitable spot with some regional NHL deals, a bigger MLB/NFL portfolio and, most of all, a heaping helping of soccer as today’s youth move into the marketing demographer’s sweet spot.

• RobbyLins says:

If TSN is smart, they take a more international approach to the stuff they broadcast. UFC, soccer, F1, etc.

However, Rogers currently owns a vast majority of international soccer coverage anyway! The English Premier League, Champions League, different European tournaments, the World Cup…all owned by Rogers for the moment. Perhaps we’ll start to see a shift… But Rogers even recently bought over Setanta Sports and rebranded it in Canada to Sportsnet World -which has become one of my favourite channels, with all their international soccer coverage. Like it or not, they’re making the right moves.

Mind you, $5.2B sounds like ridiculous money. I guess my comments are from a current viewer’s point of view, and not necessarily a corporate one.

So can anyone summarize the new TV deals? Is RDS going to lose the Habs game? Someone mentioned TVA.

• sprague cleghorn says:

Still somewhat unclear. TVA Sports gets all playoffs and 22 regular season games, including all Saturday nights. Apparently the remainder stay with RDS.

… ‘ow could we forget that?

• Timo says:

So now I have to subscribe to TVA as well? F NHL. Man, that league sucks.

Does TVA have an HD channel?

• jimmy shaker says:

Someone replied to me saying if you have sports net than you don’t need to worry about TVA sports. I have TVA, sports net, RDS, TSN and CBC just no TVA sports. So hopefully all those channels can cover all 82 habs games and the 16W’s in the playoffs.

shaker out!

• Stevie.Ray says:

Rogers has exclusive rights to the NHL in Canada, and they subcontracted CBC and TVA to show games but Rogers controls content and talent.

Basically, they kept CBC to save face and for “tradition,” but they have a monopoly over the NHL in Canada, which is never good. They will be able to continue glorifying the Leafs and cable package prices will go up.

Giving exclusive rights to the worst network is like deciding George Bush should be named President of the world.

• Coach K says:

So… if Rogers controls the “talent”, does that mean we could finally hear the last of Grapes and Bob Cole on CBC?? Seems like the perfect opportunity to develop new “talent” and “go in a different direction” as they say in the business…

May not be all that bad.
        —When Hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too—

• Kooch7800 says:

I agree Stevie. Monopoly only means we will end up paying more very soon.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

So apparently Bergevin is trying to make a big splash in the free agent market. The sweet FA market that is.

48. Mustang says:

I have read lots of comments about the new TV broadcast deal that the NHL has worked out with Sportsnet and TVA. I have a question: 1. Does anyone know what the effective date is for this new arrangement?

I just got Bell Fibe a couple of weeks ago so I am still in the process of trying to figure out how everything works. I really do not like TSN as all they ever talk about is their wonderful home team, the Laffs. The RDS broadcasts have been very good.

By the way, the Bell Fibe installation went well and in the first couple of days after it was connected, I called their customer service twice and was pleasantly surprised that I did not have to wait on hold for more than a few second and the reps were well trained and were able to quickly answer my questions.

49. DipsyDoodler says:

Kadri.

I don’t follow the Leafs closely but I always thought of him as a really good player who is a bit of a jerk and maybe needs some guidance.

Am I being overly generous?

50. scarboro_habitant says:

TSN is aleady pro leafs but expect to get a healthy dosage of TML shoved down your throat on a daily basis as obviously rogers is main owner of the laffs. Im not too sure what the deal means for habs fans outside of quebec but it doesnt sound like we wll see too many habs games on TV in this (ontario) region. watch for people like bob mackenze to eventually jump ship to rogers. people at rogers, tsn, cbc etc seem to think that everyone who doesnt speak french and/or live outside of quebec is a TML fan. the leafs might be 1 of the more popular teams in the league but might even be the most hated at the same time.

• Mustang says:

Please do not forget that the Laffs are considered by TSN and the rest of Toronto media to be Canada’s team. My brother lives in Nova Scotia and he has told me that most of the people in the Maritimes follow the Canadiens, not the Laffs. I am not saying that no one in Canada likes the Leafs, but they are probably not all that popular other than in southern Ontario. Ottawa and the west all have their own home-town teams so many fans there do not have all that much love for either the Laffs or the Canadiens.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

Mustang the young people are attaching to individual players from my perspective. My grandkids are like that and some of their friends are too. I am not so sure if most Maritimers are TO fans…I am from NS originally and I know growing up there were many TO fans but still the Habs and Boston has many as well. Here in NB where I live there are really alot of Boston fans…I think there are spots of loyality all over…..once you get away from the home areas of teams….I still maintain the young pick teams based on individual players…..that’s as far as I will go with that.

51. shiram says:

I don’t like the deal either, if only because I enjoy Pierre Houde and Marc Denis.
    It seems to me this will continue the slow push towards people cutting their cables.
    Obviously right now there is not a 100% reliable and legal streaming alternative, but that’s bound to be something to sees the light soon.
    Maybe stop the nonsense of blacking out the regional broadcasts…

52. Say Ash says:

TSN is done, folks.

53. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Hopefully Rogers brings over some of the TSN talent. Would be a shame to lose Duthie, McKenzie et al to Kypreos and McLean

54. SC27 says:

Does this mean that Joe Blowen will commentate Montreal games while he simultaneously discusses how good the Laffs are?

55. ooder says:

quick question about the rogers and cbc deal
    what does this mean for shows like: that’s hockey tonight, the replay material and all the panel discussions about the NHL.
    are they also affected?
    oh and what about TSN690… will it affect the radio show?

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

If they want to, they can still have all the shows they’d like analyzing games. They just can’t broadcast them.

Now, whether the brass at CTV/Bell/TSN thinks it’s worthwhile to put all their money into shows about the NHL when they can’t show games is another story…

• Trisomy 21 says:

Radio, That’s Hockey, OTR etc. etc. won’t change… Immediately anyways. They’re going to lose revenue so I imagine it’s possible some of the radio stations are cut. TH actually ran during the last period that TSN didn’t have national broadcast rights.

• ooder says:

thanks for the update guys… *goes and cries in corner*

56. mdp2011 says:

The biggest sports news of the year and RDS.ca doesn’t have one single word of it on its website. Talk about bush league.