Bergevin, Timmins speak on eve of draft; sked released

Habs sked

Hey, it’s old… but the Habs won the Stanley Cup that year!

The Canadiens are scheduled to open their 2012-13 season at home on Oct. 11 vs. the Ottawa Senators. That is, provided the league and players come to terms on a new collective bargaining agreement so we can have some hockey.

The Habs have not opened a season at home since their Oct. 2, 1999 game hosting the Toronto Maple Leafs, a 4-1 victory for the visitors.

Here is the team’s full schedule. And here is the full NHL schedule.

•  •  •

The Gazette’s Pat Hickey is in Pittsburgh for the draft.

Here’s audio from GM Marc Bergevin and scouting director Trevor Timmins.

And from a few top prospects:

Malcolm Subban | Alex Galchenyuk | Filip Forsberg | Mikhail Grigorenko I and II | Matt Dumba

• RDS’ Renaud Lavoie reports the Habs have filed for salary arbitration with RFA goalie Carey Price, thus heading off any offer-sheet tomfoolery.

•  •  •

From the Canadiens’ release this morning regarding their schedule:

The Montreal Canadiens and the NHL today released the schedule for
the 2012-13 season. For the first time since the 1999-00 season, the team will open the season at home,
facing the Ottawa Senators on Thursday, October 11.

The Canadiens’ will close the regular season on Saturday, April 13 against the Maple Leafs, in
Toronto, wrapping up an 82-game schedule that will span over 185 days.

Nineteen of the 26 weeknight games at the Bell Centre will start at 7:30 p.m. Seven other games
will start at 7 p.m., including the home opener on October 11.

Saturday games at home are scheduled for 7 p.m. The Canadiens will also play two matinee games
at home during the traditional Super Bowl Weekend on Saturday, February 2 facing the New York
Islanders (1 p.m.) and Sunday, February 3 hosting the Ottawa Senators (1 p.m.).

In 2012-13, the Canadiens will face each of their division rivals (Boston, Buffalo, Ottawa and
Toronto) six times (24 games). Four games will be played against each of the other 10 teams from the
Eastern Conference (40 games). The remaining 18 games will be played versus Western Conference
teams with a minimum of one game against each of the 15 Western teams, plus three (3) games
featuring Canadian rivals from the Western Conference (Calgary, Vancouver and Edmonton).

The Canadiens will play seven (7) preseason games between September 23 and October 7,
including five (5) games at the Bell Centre, where the team will host Ottawa, Buffalo, Carolina, Boston
and New Jersey. Two (2) preseason games will also be played on the road: in Ottawa (September 27)
and at Colisée Pepsi in Quebec City against the Carolina Hurricanes (October 2).

All Canadiens regular season games will be broadcast on RDS-HD, Cogeco Diffusion (98.5 FM) and
TSN Radio 990.

Canadiens home games will be played at least once on each day of the week, with the exception of
Friday. Saturday remains the busiest day on the schedule with 23 games, including 13 home contests.

1. TheKarl says:

abs are sitting sweet IMO;

they won’t get Nail, but that was off the table as soon as the oil won the lottery. In my armchair GM opinion, there two other forwards (although not as good as Nail) that stand out from the rest – and no matter what happens we’ll get one of them.

Either CBJ takes a D and then we take Galeynchuk or they take him themselves and we get Forsberg. I’m happy with either.

2. Strummer says:

Grigorenko’s stock dropped after he suffered from mono.

I can relate . I was feeling like I had mono and went to the doctor to get checked out.

Turns out I was just lazy!

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• 69HABS says:

It’s stupid that his stock is dropping because of having Mono. He’s a kid who gives it almost every shift when he’s healthy and was also suffering from an injury he suffered in the WJC. He will be a top line NHL player in 3 years; book it.

• Mattyleg says:

Ah, Steven Wright…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• TheKarl says:

Habs are sitting sweet IMO;

3. Adidess says:

Desire to win the Stanley Cup not the same for Europeans is another one of those boloneys…

How many top players on Detroit were Europeans all these years they were winning the cup of playing in the finals almost every season?

Truth is it’s stereotypes- ready-made argument for every time an European player looks like he’s playing below a certain potential or talent level. But what is the nationality-based justification for Pouliot or Penner to play uninterested/uninspired most of the time despite all their talents? It’s probably not because they’re Canadians or Russians…

• Strummer says:

You got that right! Tell these guys the Cup isn’t important:

Malkin (Conn Smythe)
      Detroit’s Swedish cast
      Kopitar
      Chara
      Elias
      Lundqvist- never won but dies trying
      Hossa-who switched teams when he thought he had a better chance to win a Cup

etc etc etc

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• 69HABS says:

Very true. Such a ridiculous stereotype to portray Europeans as lazy and uncaring.

• CalgaryHab says:

Do you rember when Mats Naslund was asked by I believe Don Whittman soon after Sweden won gold in ’94 if winning gold for his country was his biggest hockey accomplishment?
        and Mats quickly stated that winning the Stanley cup in ’86 was by far and away his greatest hockey achievment.

4. frontenac1 says:

Welcome aboard enemy territory! Great seafood down there too! Hola!

5. frontenac1 says:

Welcome aboard enemy territory! Great seafood down there too!

6. commandant says:

The actual heights and weights of players from the NHL combine can be found on my site (2nd article down). The numbers I’m seeing quoted here are inaccurate.

Grigorenko is 6’3″ 200 lbs.
    Galchenyuk is 6’0.5″ 194 lbs.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• shiram says:

I’ve heard that despite his size, Grig does not play much of a physical game, but I have not heard much on Gal in that department, even your piece on him mentions grit, but not much else, care to expand on their physical game?

7. commandant says:

Are we really here in 2012 and ascribing a number of sterotyped character traits to Russians and discussing drafting/not drafting on these stereotypes?

Its 2012 people, enough with the ignorance and bigotry.

Saying “Russians are insular, paranoid, hypersensitive etc…” Makes no sense. Its a country of 143 million individuals, no two the same.

Let’s stop with this garbage and judge players as individuals, not by their birth certificates.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• Ozmodiar says:

But, but… his son was coached by a Russian.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I tend not to but even the experts make mention of it quite a bit. The KHL option and the fact of being in a new country (some of them) has to be taken into consideration.

And also the fact that the Stanley Cup is a big accomplishment for a lot of European players but they don’t quite match the Canadian players desire to win it.

The option to go to the KHL is always there if they’re having a hard time in North America and the option to win a gold medal or an international event is just as important or more important than the Stanley Cup.

Have to remember that some of the leading “Experts” in this country are bigots and are worshipped as great Canadians though Hobie.

Maybe I shouldn’t say some, I know one is, and there is an American announcer who is pretty much in line with him.

• boing007 says:

Aye Aye Commandant!

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• CalgaryHab says:

I believe it is business and not bigotry and it has to be considered at least to some extent. Media like to hype it so they can talk about drafts/trades/transactions hours on end.
      That fact the KHL exists and it is an option for Russians to play at home would worry more than a few teams. If however, there is no KHL and a team won’t draft Russians because there Russian – then it’s bigotry. I believe Yuk and Grigs are commited to the NHL and for them it’s a senseless non-story.

8. TomNickle says:

If Edmonton and Columbus hold firm in their positions at the top of the draft. I believe very strongly that the Habs will get Galchenyuk provided they want him(Igor Larionov says they do).

Yakupov and Galchenyuk going #1 and #2 is the only bad scenario for the Habs.

• Ozmodiar says:

Full disclosure: Larionov is his agent.

>Yakupov and Galchenyuk going #1 and #2 is the only bad scenario for the Habs.

This is the scenario I fear. Worse if the Leafs trade up to 2 to make it happen.

• TomNickle says:

Larionov doesn’t have much incentive to blow smoke about Habs’ wants though. It isn’t as if Galchenyuk’s going to drop out of the top 5.

• Ozmodiar says:

There’s a bit of an incentive.

Let’s say the Leafs want him. They might trade to #2 if they think the Habs are interested. If they think the Habs are interested in Forsberg, they might stay in the 5 spot and take him there.

Better for Gally to be picked @ 2 than 3++.

9. Chris says:

Lars Eller – 6’2″ and 198 pounds
    Alex Galchenyuk – 6’1″ and 185 pounds
    Mikhail Grigorenko – 6’3″ and 200 pounds

Somehow, I think that if paired with good wingers Eller still has the potential to be that big centre people are so desperate to land.

Eller entered last season as a 22 year old…here’s how his season stacked up compared to some of his compatriots:

Lars Eller: 79 GP, 16 G, 28 PTS, 66 PIM
    Loui Eriksson: 69 GP, 14 G, 31 PTS, 28 PIM
    Henrik Zetterberg: 79 GP, 22 G, 44 PTS, 8 PIM
    Johan Franzen: 37 GP, 2 G, 6 PTS, 14 PIM (Linkoping, Swedish Elite League)
    Henrik Sedin: 78 GP, 8 G, 39 PTS, 38 PIM
    Daniel Sedin: 79 GP, 14 G, 31 PTS, 34 PIM

I definitely don’t want to say that Eller will match the exploits of any of those guys. On the other hand, he didn’t do too badly for a guy playing mostly third line minutes with plugs as wingers, and he certainly did not have the confidence of his head coach at the beginning of the season.

I think the emphasis on “big centres” by many Habs fans is perhaps too much. If there is a good centre on the board that the team thinks is the best player available, then of course they should draft him.

But I really don’t think the team needs to “reach” for a centre this year…there are no centres that stand out to me as sure-fire future All-Star players, and with Desharnais, Plekanec and Eller the team is actually already three-deep in centres that could be here for a long time.

Eller is big, fast and has started to show more confidence. I have a good feeling that Eller will take huge strides forwards in his development over the next two seasons and we may not actually have that need for a big centre after all.

EDIT: Going to move this to the new thread. Finally a new thread! :)

• TomNickle says:

Chris I did an analysis early this week showing that given Plekanec’s minutes, Eller would have been his superior offensively. Granted Eller would have to be in the kind of physical condition that allows him to sustain excellent play for 1700 minutes instead of 1300 but I don’t think that’s much of a stretch considering he played his first AHL season with mono and did quite well.

Naturally the opinion wasn’t very popular but the point remains. The only statistical categories offensively where Eller fell short were Powerplay points and assists. But it was also noted that Eller’s powerplay points and assists were prorated based on his production on a third line with third line wingers.

I don’t believe it’s a stretch to say that with continued development that Eller will be this team’s #1 centreman. He does however need the opportunity and he won’t get it with Plekanec and Desharnais ahead of him on the depth chart.

• shiram says:

The talk of drafting a center always brought the idea to trade one of them already on the team, but I always felt they were adequate for the job, but they definitely lack in scoring wingers.
      Whomever is drafted today won’t take away the spot of any of the Habs 3C’s, so there’s no sense in dealing them.

10. Lafleurguy says:

The trade Montreal made in 2010 to get Jarred Tinordi was with Phoenix, and yielded Tinordi (22nd), and Mark McMillan (F,113th) for Montreal, and Mark Visentin (G, 27th), and Oscar Lindberg (F, 57th) for Phoenix. So far, the “win” in this trade goes to Pierre Gauthier and the Canadiens. Lindberg was traded to the New York Rangers and just this month signed a three-year entry level contract with them. He is 6’1″, 190 lbs. and therefore smaller than Chris Kreider. Kreider was passed over so that Gauthier and Timmins could draft hometown prospect Louis Leblanc in 2009.

“May you live in interesting times.”

11. shiram says:

As long as at least one of the teams picking first and second take on defenceman, Habs will be good picking at 3rd.

12. Hobie Hansen says:

So with all the talk around here of people slamming Pierre McGuire for saying that Montreal should trade PK Subban and the 3rd pick to Edmonton for Yakupov, here’s my 2 cents.

Unless Yakupov is a slam dunk 40-50 goal scoring 90-100 point player, I wouldn’t even think about it! And after saying that I probably still wouldn’t do it!

What would you rather have, Yakupov alone or Subban/Galchenyuk together.

No way I’d trade Subban and the 3rd to Edmonton for the 1st pick.

Subban alone might be better and more valuable than Yakupov down the road.

13. nickster13 says:

While we wait,
    Relive this big hit by Emelin last year.

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

14. youngwun says:

Please take Galchenyuk tonight!

MTL4Life

15. Ozmodiar says:

Interesting thoughts from Aaron Portzline (Columbus Dispatch).

He thinks Howson’s preferences for the #2 pick are (in order):
    - Murray
    - Trade down a few spots where Gally or FF might still be available
    - Don’t trade, take Galchenyuk

In other words, he thinks they’ll pass on Yakupov if Murray goes 1st.

If he’s right, Yakupov or Galchenyuk will be available @ 3.

16. 69HABS says:

Why is it that so many people here want Galchenyuk so badly? I think he’s becoming quite over-hyped.

I may be in the minority here, but I want Mikhail Grigorenko of the Quebec Remparts! We could really use a big 6’3, 200lbs center with the scoring, skating and playmaking abilities that he has. On top of that, the kid plays for Patrick Roy and his game has translated smoothly to the North American style. I’m normally not one for wanting to draft Russian’s, but this kid is the real deal. I think he’s got a great NHL career ahead of him and he’s stated many time (and shown it by moving to the QMJHL last season) that he wants to play in the NHL. I wouldn’t be surprised if he turned out to be the second best player taken in this years draft.

• EnemyTerritory says:

With respect, I doubt that “not getting” Radulov is generally considered a mistake by most. :-) That said, there is very opportunity to remedy it this off-season. (But am pretty sure we would not be able to do it and stay under the cap.)

• LA Loyalist says:

I have to say I’m nervous about Russians also (and my kid also played for Russian coaches, I’m pretty familiar with their heads) but the fact that that ‘Renko played in Quebec already (and for St. Patrick) does deserve some credit and may show that he’ll be able to handle Montreal.

That said, the Russians tend to be insular, paranoid, hypersensitive to criticism and generally inscrutable. Obviously within that context there is a range.

Pray. That’s my advice.

• Ozmodiar says:

Rads also played for Roy, and look where he ended up. :)

• Strummer says:

Rads also got a slap down for missing curfew in Nashville. In the view of many that was over-reactive by the Pred’s especially with the 2 game suspension in the playoffs.
          That sent him packing for Mother Russia. Maybe if it were handled differently or if he was on another team he would still be here.

______________________________________________________
          “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Ozmodiar says:

Where was he a couple months before breaking curfew?

• Strummer says:

He came back because he was interested in moving on with his NHL career- depending on the circumstances.
            He may have stayed here if the curfew incident with the Pred’s had concluded differently.

______________________________________________________
            “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Ozmodiar says:

You said the curfew slap down was the reason he went to Russia. Yet, he went to Russia 4 years ago. :)

Also, blaming the Preds for the latest dash to the K is laughable, IMO.

• sane hockey fan says:

****We could really use a big 6’3, 200lbs center with the scoring, skating and playmaking abilities that he has.

So? We could also use Galchenyuks 6’2 205lbs center with scoring, skating and playmaking abilities.

****On top of that, the kid plays for Patrick Roy and his game has translated smoothly to the North American style.

Galchenyuk played his entire hockey career in North America, no adaptation required.

****Remember how Habs fans felt when we didn’t get Radulov, who loved play in Quebec? Let’s hope we don’t make the same mistake this time.

You think not drafting a guy who has played exactyl 17 games in the NHL (including playoffs) since 2009 was a mistake? WOW I don’t even know what to say to that.

If you go by what scouts say (since neither you or I have watched both players play any substantial number of games) Grigorenko is slightly more skilled but sometimes lacks in work ethic. Galchenyuk is reported to be EXTREMELY hard working with a great character and maturity for his age. Just watch one of his interviews.

Personally, I’d rather take the guy who has slightly (and i mean really slightly) less skill and a great work ethic than the guy with a bit more skill but slightly less work ethic.

PS I would be happy if we pick either Girg or Gal, just that my preference is Gal and I don’t think he is over hyped.

• 69HABS says:

1. Galchenyuk is not 6’2, he’s closer to 6’0 if anything.

2. I don’t want to start a rift with you or anything, but you really need to check your facts on where Galchenyuk played. He played in Russia until 2009-2010 when he went to the USA to play minor hockey in hopes of being eligible to represent team USA internationally. He was BORN in the USA, but raised throughout Europe and mostly in Russia. IIRC, he was ineligible to play in the under-18 WJC this season with USA because he hasn’t played long enough in the USA.

3. Although I don’t envy the situation he put Nashville in, Radulov loved playing in Quebec and may not have ran back to Russia had be been playing there. I don’t have a crystal ball, but I think he would have been happier here than in Nashville.

4. From what I’ve heard, Grigorenko has great work ethic. I’ve heard the same about Galchenyuk too, so I think we’ll get a hardworker with either of them.

• Kooch7800 says:

I think Galchenyuk did very well in the Columbine, he is in great shape and the scouts feel he has more potential for offensive….again this is all from scouts….there is not crystal ball.

17. EnemyTerritory says:

Hello everyone!

I am a brand new member. I just set up my account as I was finally motivated by the possibility of signing up for the HIO summit. As for introductions, I am a big fan of our beloved Habs who grew up in Brossard (well before the team did *anything* there) idolizing Ken Dryden, but I now live the the heart of enemy territory – just north of Boston. (For the record an awesome city with great people; just an absolutely evil hockey team :-)) Worse still, my gorgeous American wife is a Pittsburgh Penguin fan. But alas, I digress.

I just wanted to post that I have a the feeling that the Canadiens will have Yakupov fall into their hands at #3. (For all the reasons that have been posted.) Assuming they can move up to the mid to late teens with a package of draft picks and perhaps a mid level prospect, they may be able to still get Grigorenko (who I gather is the unfair victim of negative momentum – momentum that is gaining steam at that.) I personally would be thrilled to see that type of package put together for him.

I know it is dreaming in technicolour, but if a few months ago it was simply unimaginable that we could get both Yakupov and Grigorenko ; now however it is just very unlikely – not impossible.

Cheers all!

• TomNickle says:

Welcome Mouli. Your point is valid, and it isn’t that unlikely that the Habs acquire an additional first round pick.

Dale Tallon has been a mentor to Marc Bergevin and if like minded people do like minded things it wouldn’t be a surprise for Bergevin to assemble a large number of early round selections.

• jon514 says:

It sounds like Timmins is recommending passing on Yakupov. He said in an interview that the most worrying injury to him, is a player who has had a concussion.

• EnemyTerritory says:

I can understand the Oilers’ reluctance to take another marquee forward and the Jackets’ nervousness around Russians given their PR needs (especially if Nash is being moved), but I simply find it mind boggling that within a few days (hours?!) that Yakupov’s stock could have fallen out of the top three. Concussions can happen to anyone at any time; I had thought that Yakupov was given a clean bill of heath at the combine.

• LA Loyalist says:

He also gave a very cogent and articulate interview at the Combine. He is a tough and cocky kid and seems to really have the drive to prove himself.

As for Columbus’ PR needs, you are dead on. We Canadians forget that in some U.S. markets hockey itself needs to be “sold” and that need can be a far bigger factor in decisions than it would ever be at home.

So when we are guessing what Columbus will or won’t do we need to allow for that. For example a great player like Markov would not be a fit in Columbus as he’s a quiet, private guy, whereas a chatty, personable guy who tosses good quotes and likes children and dogs would be fantastic for them. That’s something that wouldn’t even cross our minds in Edmonton or Montreal, so consider that in your projections.

Welcome to the HI/O family (yes our family gatherings get heated!), Have a great day enjoying the draft! Perhaps we see you at the Summit.

CHeers

• Lafleurguy says:

Way to use the British spelling of technicolor! Although if if were the American companies (20th Century Fox, Metro-Goldwynn-Mayer), that created the technology and the word, there is no British/Canadian spelling! Cheers and welcome!

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Rugger says:

Where north of Boston, I am in Tyngsboro, just south of the NH border.

• Newf_Habster says:

Welcome to HIO! :)

• New says:

Welcome ET :-)
      I think (many don’t) that this is an off year for the draft. There is really very little difference with the top players and development has been slow for some of the others. Really everyone is just weighting intangibles. When you’re down to deciding whether a concussion will limit an 18 year old more than an ACL or lazy play then really no one is head and shoulders above the pack.

• Habsrule1 says:

Welcome!

No link = no gorgeous wife.

Just kidding. It’s nice to have you aboard. I’ll be thrilled with either Yakupov or Galchenyuk. We may well have a very good pick at 33 as well, with the tiny possibility being brought up that Grigorenko oe even Malcolm Subban could still be available (although I’m not sure we want another young goalie right now).

Go Habs Go!!