Bergevin, Timmins speak on eve of draft; sked released

Habs sked

Hey, it’s old… but the Habs won the Stanley Cup that year!

The Canadiens are scheduled to open their 2012-13 season at home on Oct. 11 vs. the Ottawa Senators. That is, provided the league and players come to terms on a new collective bargaining agreement so we can have some hockey.

The Habs have not opened a season at home since their Oct. 2, 1999 game hosting the Toronto Maple Leafs, a 4-1 victory for the visitors.

Here is the team’s full schedule. And here is the full NHL schedule.

•  •  •

The Gazette’s Pat Hickey is in Pittsburgh for the draft.

Here’s audio from GM Marc Bergevin and scouting director Trevor Timmins.

And from a few top prospects:

Malcolm Subban | Alex Galchenyuk | Filip Forsberg | Mikhail Grigorenko I and II | Matt Dumba

• RDS’ Renaud Lavoie reports the Habs have filed for salary arbitration with RFA goalie Carey Price, thus heading off any offer-sheet tomfoolery.

•  •  •

From the Canadiens’ release this morning regarding their schedule:

The Montreal Canadiens and the NHL today released the schedule for
the 2012-13 season. For the first time since the 1999-00 season, the team will open the season at home,
facing the Ottawa Senators on Thursday, October 11.

The Canadiens’ will close the regular season on Saturday, April 13 against the Maple Leafs, in
Toronto, wrapping up an 82-game schedule that will span over 185 days.

Nineteen of the 26 weeknight games at the Bell Centre will start at 7:30 p.m. Seven other games
will start at 7 p.m., including the home opener on October 11.

Saturday games at home are scheduled for 7 p.m. The Canadiens will also play two matinee games
at home during the traditional Super Bowl Weekend on Saturday, February 2 facing the New York
Islanders (1 p.m.) and Sunday, February 3 hosting the Ottawa Senators (1 p.m.).

In 2012-13, the Canadiens will face each of their division rivals (Boston, Buffalo, Ottawa and
Toronto) six times (24 games). Four games will be played against each of the other 10 teams from the
Eastern Conference (40 games). The remaining 18 games will be played versus Western Conference
teams with a minimum of one game against each of the 15 Western teams, plus three (3) games
featuring Canadian rivals from the Western Conference (Calgary, Vancouver and Edmonton).

The Canadiens will play seven (7) preseason games between September 23 and October 7,
including five (5) games at the Bell Centre, where the team will host Ottawa, Buffalo, Carolina, Boston
and New Jersey. Two (2) preseason games will also be played on the road: in Ottawa (September 27)
and at Colisée Pepsi in Quebec City against the Carolina Hurricanes (October 2).

All Canadiens regular season games will be broadcast on RDS-HD, Cogeco Diffusion (98.5 FM) and
TSN Radio 990.

Canadiens home games will be played at least once on each day of the week, with the exception of
Friday. Saturday remains the busiest day on the schedule with 23 games, including 13 home contests.

1. 69HABS says:

Well Price07:

Yes and if he goes to arbitration he will likely be a UFA two seasons from now. I have a feeling that he’ll get a one year deal like Weber got with Nashville last season.

Also, the only reason that the Habs have filed for arbitration is so that other teams can’t offer Price an offersheet and bump up his value over the next couple seasons. I highly doubt that Price and his agent are happy that they’ve lost the offer sheet as a key piece of their negotiation tactics. Now, instead of possibly being offered a sheet like Vanek or Penner did with Edmonton and bumping up his value, he’s going to have to settle it either by signing the long-term deal that Bergevin has offered, if he really wants to stay here, or it will go through the courts and be decided there.

Does anybody really think that if this goes to an arbitrator that he’ll sign a long term deal here in the future? I think that if it has to go that far at this stage that he likely won’t be a Hab three years from now.

• TomNickle says:

The entire purpose of the move was to protect against an offer sheet.

You think Gerry Johanssen and Carey Price are upset that the potential of an offer sheet won’t drive up his value?

Price holds all of the cards. If he doesn’t want to sign long term or for a low amount of money, he doesn’t have to.

You’re making a mountain out of a mole hill.

• 69HABS says:

They definitely don’t hold all the cards now. Price and his agent hold MOST of the cards, but certainly not all. Now that the possibility of an offer sheet is no longer present, the Habs can now negotiate without Carey forcing their hand to drive up the price by accepting an offer sheet.

You don’t think they lose some of their negotiation strength in this process?

• TomNickle says:

No I don’t. He’s their franchise player. If they don’t want to be fair with him he can hold out. He’s being paid to play, if he doesn’t want to play under a garbage contract, he doesn’t have to.

That’s all of the leverage he needs.

• Greg says:

It almost definitely won’t go to arbitration. If Price didn’t want to be a part of the Habs then he would’ve been gone by now. By all accounts, he wants to stay, so as I can’t speculate on the length of his contract, it’ll likely be $$$ and term.

Look at it this way: Nothing has changed since they filed for arbitration, so however you viewed the situation then, you should view it the same way now.

• 69HABS says:

Being an RFA he really hasn’t had any opportunity to leave Montreal. I agree that he likely wants to stay, but I think for now he wants to take it year-by-year and see which direction the team is heading under the new management. I doubt we see him sign a long-term deal (although, I could be wrong), but instead he’ll likely sign a short-term deal (1-2 years) so that he can reassess the situation then and decide what he wants to do.

• New says:

Naw. All you are saying to Price is “We want to hang onto you and will pay fair market. We recognize that many teams would put out an offer anyone would find almost impossible to resist. We don’t want to be in the position of having our salary package dictated by our competitors or having to lose you. We don’t have to be in that position so we decline to be in that position.”

• boing007 says:

Go ahead MB, make the same mistake that the Canucks made with Luongo. Two years for Price should be sufficient for now. Time for Carey to put up or shut up.

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• LA Loyalist says:

It was a savvy move on Bergevin’s part, shows he has been well mentored and is a quick study.

Price will never become a UFA, he will be signed or traded. And signing him to a long fat contract will be a disaster, a la Luongo. You read it hear first… or second, or third…

• ZepFan2 says:

Haha

Obviously you didn’t read the whole article explaining why the Habs are doing this. Either that or you just read the headline and ran with your “sky is falling” post.

Price has a message for you 69Habs: “Chill out!”

———————————————————————-
      “Them summer days, those summer days” – Sly Stone

Hot fun in the Summertime

2. That's-Hockey says:

no trading – take the best player available in todays draft and move on with improving our 3rd and 4th lines and we’re good to go.
    the 3rd and 4th line is our problem once they fix that we will be competitive. it takes time to build a stanley cup team. it took LA 45 years although it’s a start one player ain’t gonna be the difference in winning or losing the stanley cup. maybe for the NJ Devils.

3. LA Loyalist says:

Habs drafting recent history (scroll down past Leafs) well set out:

The interesting thing is the real diamonds over the past decade or so were obscure late picks – Halak, Mark Streit… The most interesting was how badly Gainey wanted Ryan McDonaugh – only then to trade him for Scott Gomez. The mystery wrapped in an enema, as Churchill might have said.

I watched video of Galenchuk (sp?) last night and I have to say the guy has skill up the ying-yang. I’ll be happy with him or Ryan Murray as I’m sure Nail will be gone.

Light your candles, people. Preparez vos mouchoirs.

4. arcosenate says:

Big news, Habs should make a move for him, today.

5. arcosenate says:

Staal turns down 10 year offer. Apologies if already posted.

That’s huge today, he’ll be in play!

6. jon514 says:

There’s an awesome 13 minute question and answer period with Mark Bergevin on the rds website. It’s in french… but it’s fun to see him joking around a bit. Nothing groundbreaking… mostly drafting best player available and other general housekeeping questions.

7. Ali says:

Any of you draft nerds got any info on Brian Hart? I like his size and he’s seem like he has a nose for the net and finishing ability.

I wonder why the link for Montreal Canadiens Hab’s are us Summit site does not light up to click onto, on my post below. ???

Would someone put it up please?

9. TomNickle says:

Regarding trading down. This isn’t the NFL where you can drop down 10-20 spots and still have a high likelihood of getting an impact player.

The Habs haven’t had a pick this high in 30 years, to trade it for anything less than a homerun of a return would be foolish.

• krob1000 says:

As long as you don’t go below 11 or 12 I thik you still a get a home run….I think this draft is deeper than most in the first 10-15. I just think there is a pretty significant drop around there…but if you traded to 10 or 11 you likely still get a Faksa, Teuvainen, Grigorenko, all of whom I would be happy with provided we got something decent in exchange for the pick (ie, get a close to ready prosepct like the other teams equivalent to a Beaulieu or Tinordi) . I would not be disappointed with Teuvainen or Grigorenko. Faksa is a little iffier for me but many scouts have him ahead of the other two because he plays tougher.
      I am not adverse to trading down but i prefer getting Yakupov, Galchenyuk or Forsberg…but the differnece in dropping to those 3 forwards I just named is not all that significant with Faksa IMO being similar to Forsberg in that he is almost a sure thing to be a solid NHLer but may not have the crazy ceiling. Teuvainen and Grigorenko are as talented as anyone in the draft, size is a factor for Teuvainen and there are several issues re Grigorenko…but there are injury issues with Yak and Gallly too…so I don’t see how the Habs can possibly leave us anything but happy…even if they traded down to 10 or 11……the other dmen like Maata, Trouba, Dumba,etc…all will be good NHLers too.

This draft IMO is very good actually in the first half of the first round and I still maintain that a few years from now people will look back on it and it will have been deep despite lacking the wow factor of a Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Mackinnon?, type of hype.

I am 100% in agreement Tom. I feel like a broken record restating my reasons. As you say not only a chance at an elite level talent, but a talent that we have at a reasonable contract for the near future. To trade down normally would involve picking up another player, typically already established in the NHL and thus a higher payscale to begin with.

I have to believe that Bergevin and Dudley from experience know how invaluable it is to a franchise to have these young stars on your team.

Chicago cannot go out and add Hossa, Brian Campbell etc… to win that cup if they don’t have Toews and Kane at that point in their careers with lesser contracts.

You see. Tanking wasn’t so bad after all now was it.

• JF says:

It looks pretty good right now, but I don’t know if I could endure another season like the one that just ended. There were so many nights on which I just couldn’t bear to watch.

• krob1000 says:

This is when we reap the reward…but it forced me into watching way too much basketball …..

Thanks to you the Habs were able to do this. The team I am told had no idea the process behind the tank until they started reading HI/O and found out the benefits from your posts! :)

11. habsfan0 says:

Well,today is draft day,or as former Leafs GM Cliff Fletcher used to call it:”Draft Schmaft” Day.

Hopefully, when the day is done, ALL of us here on HIO will claim that the Habs did a phenomenal job in drafting,and that the team is well on its way to capturing its 25th Stanley Cup.

Yeah,right.

• LA Loyalist says:

All I ask is we don’t draft any Smurfs. Been there, done that, didn’t work. We have DD, he’s great, and that’s enough. The other midgets will be gone.

12. Adidess says:

Draft day is here, so exciting!

Two amusing things I find. 1) Like most fans I feel like i am prepared to be disappointed, even outraged, tonight if the Habs don’t draft the guy I want (eg Gally), especially if he’s still available when we pick. But like most fans, I have only seen clips of those guys while Timmins and his team have followed them for years. It doesn’t seem fair, but this site will blow up tonight if Timmins goes off script, and I’ll be right along with everybody. Quite an easy job these guys have ! :)

2) Tanking doesn’t seem like a sure thing, does it? I embraced ‘Fail for Nail’ thinking we were going to be ‘assigned’ Yakupov -) Now I hear we don’t know how the draft will go, much like when we have a mid-first round pick. Some are even suggesting that we trade down. I thought the pain of sucking for a year was somewhat alleviated by the fact that we could pick high in the draft. We should now end up picking around where we have been the last few years, where it’s tougher to find gems, potential stars? The only thing i know, no trading down please…

• nickster13 says:

Don’t look at trading down so negatively! The idea is that youre getting high value for that pick. Like trading down and getting 2 other low first rounders instead. Or a solid roster player plus a slightly weaker pick. Just whatever makes the team better is the idea.

• Adidess says:

I disagree, nickster. You trade down when you have a team like Pittsburgh or Vancouver, looking for organisational depth but not desperate for stars.

We need high-end talent and game-breakers, teams won’t give up good value to move up if they don’t think they’re getting a gem. More Enqvists and Webers won’t do us any good.

You can find a rare Giroux by trading down, but where you consistently get top-end talent is at the top.
        ——————————————–
        A big Centreman, please. Thank you!

• CanadienBoy says:

Boston leading in the Nash trading they do have players for it

13. chanchilla says:

draft day almost always falls on my birthday and its always such a nice and pleasant day, this year with a high 1st pick it should make for a very drunken evening, happy summer to all of ye.

14. Strummer says:

Heard an interesting idea floated yesterday on Sportsnet that Edmonton takes Nail even though they would perfer a D-man and use him as an asset to flip for said D-man at a later date.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

15. Price07 says:

If Columbus takes Galchenyuk at number two I will pray they never have success again. (not that it’ll take much praying)

• Mike D says:

I’m leaning towards Gally too for the Habs at #3. Really hoping CLB is scared by his Russian heritage given their previous experience, or that they just think Murray is the better player and take him instead. Only problem is, I think their needs are more on offense than on D, especially if they part with Nash (depending on the return, of course).

– Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• nickster13 says:

Exactly, so lets not hold our breath, its highly logical for them to pick Galchenyuk as well.

• LA Loyalist says:

My first choice is UpChuck, but who would complain about Ryan Murray who in my head at least would finally (and of course, potentially) offset the loss of Ryan McDonaugh. A hyper stud-D in about 2 years would do us no harm (Murray, PK, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Emelin…) then if Markov is truly healthy we trade him in March to Detroit to replace Lidstrom for their playoff run and if we re-Tanque ™ next year we are on our way.

Of course there are a lot of variables… :-)

Our 6th annual 2012 HIO Fan’s Summit in Mtl. news!

1st. take note of this HIO Summit site (link) for updates, pictures and your comments please.
    (Montreal Canadiens We Are Fans Summit)
    Montreal Canadiens We Are Fans Summit’s photo.

2nd. Last year we had over 110 HIO participants. And I had to sell some preseason game tickets for the hockey club, in order to access enough Summit tickets for all of us. I will not be doing that this year for sure. I will be working with new people at the Bell Center this year and I do not know as yet how many tickets they will allow me to obtain.

So once I have the game date nailed down, the price and the amount of tickets that I can purchase together for our Summit game, I will let you know. Past HIO Summit goers will get 1st crack at the game tickets. Money orders made out to me only, with all your information and a self addressed envelope for me to send you your tickets. This will secure your game ticket and your seat at the children’s charity pre game dinner.

If you have season, or your own game ticket you may still attend all our events as well. As long as you advise me to reserve a seat at the dinner and also that you bring a charity gift to be raffled at the dinner.
    To date we have raised and delivered $10,000 for the children’s foundation.

All events will stay the same as in past years for the whole weekend.
    Friday–Meet and Greet, Hurley’s pub.
    Saturday–Breakfast at Chez Cora’s, Hall of fame Tour, Pre game dinner and charity raffle, Game, Hurley’s pub.

Limit of two game tickets per request, unless I obtain more this year! And you must participate at the charity dinner as well.

Please do not start ordering from me, until I have secured the tickets.
    Looking forward to seeing you all again this year friends.

Yours in the Hab’s,
    Ian

17. 69HABS says:

Kiss Carey Price “GOODBYE” Bergevin …

Two more years …

18. Habsfan76 says:

get Galchenyuck if hes still available not mg.

19. steve17 says:

I hope there are some trades made today leading up to the draft!

Habfan17

• That's-Hockey says:

That’s a rumor out of some bar in Dartmouth – I believe the part Pittsburgh wants to keep staal and unload Crosby because he’s one hit away from costing some team a lot of money – who ever gets suckered in good luck…. I hope it’s not the Montreal Canadiens
      they should have learned from the Gomez trade..

• Greg says:

Ah yes, it would be devastating if the Habs landed the best hockey player on the face of the planet. God save us. I didn’t know Eklund was from Dartmouth…

• LA Loyalist says:

Crosby is one hit away from a wheelchair for the rest of his life. He shouldn’t be playing. That’s got nothing to do with his talent and of course he would be fantastic for Habs, but medical reality is medical reality.

And remember that if Gretzky or Halak or Ryan McDonaugh could be traded, anyone can be traded. :-)

• Chris says:

They said that about Patrice Bergeron too. He also missed most of a season with a concussion, then was re-injured with another concussion the following year missing another month. People said he would never be the same again.

Since then, Bergeron has missed 12 games over three seasons while establishing himself as perhaps the best defensive forward in the NHL.

If Crosby cleans up his act a bit and avoids stupid confrontations, he can easily go on to have a long and successful career.

If we understood brain injuries, I could perhaps buy that medical realities are medical realities. But we do not, and we really don’t know why one guy’s career never recovers while another guy’s does.

Further to that Chris, we don’t know to how much of an extent Crosby’s concussion symptoms were a result of the neck injury his specialist discovered.

I think it is too early to write him off as a one hit away player from retirement.

• LA Loyalist says:

As an addendum, I’m not saying Crosby is for sure done (I guess I did say it) but to clarify: it’s a risk management issue.

Habs are not a deep enough organization to take that risk. Pittsburgh, with Stall sitting there on the 3rd line, are (or were) and maybe Detroit and L.A., but for us to give up, say Patches and Emelin and Pleks… (just to throw out some names of our best players) for Crosby at this point in his career given the medical unknowns?

I wouldn’t do it. If you have the stones to make that call… well, I’m impressed by your nerve – or youth :-)

20. novahab says:

Breaking news out of Cole Harbour, Crosbey has been offered to the Habs. The Pens do not want to lose Staal and want to up the offer. They want the third pick and a top young d-man who last name starts with a T hint hint. They are willing to take Gomez to help the Habs free up space for Crosby. I say absolutley no deal this would be a big mistake. Who knows if Crosby will make it pass 10 games, never mind the whole year.

21. Mike D says:

So many questions and endless possibilities make this a very exciting, though nerve-racking day for hardcore Habs and hockey fans.

Do EDM or CLB trade their picks? If so, to whom?
    Do we trade ours? Up or down?
    Who do we take at 3 if we keep the pick?
    Will the guy Habs brass wants at 3 be available?
    What if Yak and Gally go 1,2? Who do we take then?
    Will any BIG trades be made today?

Just so many scenarios – all of which have me on the edge of my seat!

– Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

22. Thomas Le Fan says:

I gotta tell y’all that I was shocked … SHOCKED … I tell ya, that the boys (Button and MacKenzie etc.) on TSN last night were saying exactly what I said a week or two ago. Yes, the young Russians came to play in the CHL but the K beckons at the first sign of adversity. Whether it’s a lockout, big $ or whatever. Bigots!!!

• Luke says:

I’d love to see the list of top young Russian players who bolted for the KHL and the list of top young Russian players who stayed in the NHL…

So far I’ve got Radulov and Morozov as bolters… and Morozov wasn’t exactly tearing up the NHL. Emelin as well i suppose, but not exactly a marquee name.

Largely the Russians who are bolting are players most likely on the fringe, potentially borderline AHLers or guys who play in the minors. instead of spending a few years in Peoria or Albany, they stay at home, make better cash and aren’t living in a place where they don’t speak the language and they know very few people.

When I was 20 (38 now) i didn’t want to move to Ft McMurray, I’ll be damned if i was ready to move to Russia…

• HabFanSince72 says:

Kuznetsov.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Chris says:

Kuznetsov did not bolt, as he has never signed an NHL contract. He signed a 2 year deal with a KHL club as opposed to coming over to play in the AHL as Washington would like him to do.

Money is a big part of it, but so are the Olympics. So long as there remains no formal decision on the part of the NHL to take part in Sochi, the Russian kids are faced with a tough prospect. Play in the Olympics on home soil, or play in the NHL and forego that dream?

Both Malkin and Ovechkin have indicated they would be willing to sit out a year if the NHL refuses to free its players to go to the Olympics. The Olympics is a bigger deal to the Russians than I think people realize.

23. Habs64 says:

If Edm take Murray Habs will take Yakupov. CLB want no part of him I guess.

• Mike D says:

I doubt EDM would use their 1st overall on Murray considering Yak is the consensus #1. It is possible, but not very likely. The way I see it, if EDM drafts Murray, it’s because they traded down a few spots to acquire other assets while addressing an organizational need on the blueline in the process.

– Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• LA Loyalist says:

If by some divine intermention we get Nail I will open the best Champagne I have left, an 02 Veuve Grand Madame and stay up partying at least until 9:15…

24. Lafleurguy says:

Sorry if I’m off topic, but monotony isn’t ideal either. Seems the Buffalo Sabres don’t fare much better than the Habs in the trades and FA signings departments. Wealthy owner Terry Pegula gave GM Darcy Regier freedom to spend and acquire big ticket contracts and the addition of Jordan Leopold, Robyn Regehr, Christain Erhoff, Brad Boyes, and others still resulted in a non-playoff season. Would like to know a lot more about “Only Crosby Went Higher” Bobby Ryan before acquiring an indubitably expensive player. Kopitar went 11th after no. 2 Ryan.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• LA Loyalist says:

…yeah, and we could have had Kopitar, and kept Halak. Price would be somewhere with his rodeo, probably out west. Would we be a better team? Discuss among yourselves.

25. steve17 says:

For all you fantasy draft folks out there, here is a proposal for you.
    Trade Pleks and Weber to the Kings for Bernier. Pleks would replace Stoll. Then trade Price to Edm. for their first pick this year and their first round next year. If Subban is put out that they traded his buddy, trade him for Nash and go after Suter. Or trade him for Bobby Ryan and Anaheims first pick this year.

Habfan17

• Greg says:

Then what? A backup goalie replaces our franchise netminder? And we get Yakupov and next years first, which will be lower than ours because with Price in nets the oilers make the playoffs. Subban straight up for Nash? CLB would want that first round pick you just snagged by trading one of the top goalies in the league, and probably Eller as well. I’m sure Suter would love to sign with an organization that pulled off those moves!

• LA Loyalist says:

Everyone says there is no market for goalies, so why is Price worth a first overall? That’s no criticism of Price, but the trend in the league. If Halak, who took Price’s job, is only worth Eller… I mean your post is fun but too removed from logic.

I would trade Price straight up for Bobby Ryan. With Ryan and Galenychuk up front… man, I’d wet myself. Well, maybe I would anyway. :-)

• steve17 says:

It was just meant to be fun! Thanks for your response! Weird trades do happen so i thought I would throw something really out there, out there :)

Habfan17

26. steve17 says:

At one time, I was hoping the Habs would trade a few pleyrs to get another first roud pick today. Now I am of the mind that they hang on to the players and wait until a team runs into injury trouble or the trade dealine and grab extra picks for the next draft which the hockey goods claim is a much better and deeper draft.

I am still thinking that if Bergevin could get Bobby Ryan for Pleks, Weber, and a prospect, then I would like it. With Beregvin saying he wants strength down the middle, I think he would prefer a big skilled centre over a big skilled winger, although if they Take a big skilled centre with the 3rd pick, they could have both.

Habfan17

• commandant says:

Every year we hear the same story in the last month before the draft.

“Oh this year’s draft isn’t that deep, next year’s draft will be awesome though.”

I do believe MacKinnon and Jones are great, but as for the depth of the entire draft, it remains to be seen.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• steve17 says:

Very true, you never know. I still think that Gaunce would be the perfect fit for the Habs!

Habfan17

• boing007 says:

This year’s draft looks pretty good to me. Lots of quality players. I guess if there’s no superstar then it’s no good.

Richard R
        Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• steve17 says:

I am not sure how they determine one draft is better than another before the actual draft. Reading the bios in the hockey news draft preview and the other online sources, there seems to be some very good prospects this year. Then again, these guys are out there watching these guys day in / day out and they should know.

Habfan17

• Lafleurguy says:

Can you give your take on the strongest drafts of the past ten? 2003 is repeatedly brought up, in part because of guys like Dustin Brown and Corey Perry. We got Andrei Kostitsyn. It looks like 2005 was an excellent pool. We got Rodeo Price, Latendresse, and I think Sergei Kostitsyn. If only the Habs could average 3 NHLers per draft, we would be swimming in prospects.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Chris says:

2005 is generally regarded as one of the weakest drafts in recent memory. After Crosby, Ryan, Price, and Kopitar, there really aren’t a lot of truly impact players from that draft.

In the second round, James Neal and Paul Stastny helped rescue it, but the first round picks look somewhat weak compared to other years.

2003 was an insane year because of the sheer number of All-Stars that have come out of that draft: Marc-Andre Fleury, Eric Staal, Nathan Horton, Thomas Vanek, Milan Michalek, Ryan Suter, Dion Phaneuf, Jeff Carter, Dustin Brown, Brent Seabrook, Zach Parise, Ryan Getzlaf, Mike Richards, and Corey Perry were all drafted in the first round, while the second round yielded Matt Carle, Patrice Bergeron, Shea Weber, Loui Eriksson and David Backes. It will be a long time before we see a draft like that again.

The 2008 draft is shaping up to be a nice one, especially for defencemen. Steven Stamkos, Drew Doughty, Alex Pietrangelo, Tyler Myers, Erik Karlsson, Jordan Eberle and John Carlson all came out of that first round, and some other guys (Bogosian, Schenn, Boedker, Hodgson, Gardiner, Del Zotto and Ennis) are poised to join that group.

27. AceMagnum says:

Ted Bird ripped McGuire a new one on TSN 990. HA HA you got DONE Pierre!!

• Captain aHab says:

Was this about the idea of our 1st plus Subban for Edmonton’s first?

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• Marc10 says:

And he deserved it! I loved every minute of Bird’s rebuttal. What a smack down!

PM was outraged that Team 990 discussed ‘him wanting to trade Subban for Edmonton’… but Lil’ Pierre knows full well that even though he was misquoted, that what he said was equally ridiculous, namely: ‘that Edmonton should try to get PK Subban out of Montreal using the first overall pick along with MTL’s #3…?!’

So he’s pissed that he’s being misquoted on something that makes no sense, but what he’s actually saying is just as, if not more, ridiculous.

Tell us Pierre, under what scenario does that trade ever happen? And in what parallel universe? What would it take for the Habs to trade their #3 and PK to Edmonton to get #1?

Answer: It would never happen.

Substitute PK for Markov or Beaulieu or Tinordi and maybe something happens, but I still don’t think it would be enough to get our #3 along for the ride. Maybe a second rounder…

Bad Pierre. Bad Pierre. :-(

28. AceMagnum says:

Trade the pick to Florida for Huberdeau! DO IT!

29. Cal says:

Another banner day for HIO with a possibility of 2000 + posts between now and tomorrow afternoon.
    We have to trust MB and the Gang™ to do what’s right. At that press scrum yesterday, Timmins looked like the cat that swallowed the canary.
    Players will be moved today, whether from the roster or from Hamilton, all with the purpose of making the Habs competitive this season. We’ll probably all disagree and some will be furious, but that’s all part of our Habsession. I mean, it’s a beautiful summer day and all I can think about is:
    Who will the Habs pick? (Nyuk- who absolutely must be christened Larry, Moe or Curly)
    Who will the Habs trade? (Aside from Price, Pac, Cole, and Subban, anything is possible)
    Who will be coming to the Habs? (We all have a long wish list)

Have fun, everyone! :D

So true Cal, enjoy it bud!

• nickster13 says:

Im betting on
      EDM- Yakupov
      CLB- Galchenyuk
      MTL- Forsberg

simply because Columbus also wants some scoring punch in case Nash goes bye bye.
      And Forsberg for us because I read about how Timmins and co. really like him and interviewed his family and everything. They also love guys with good families and good heads on their shoulders.

So this is my prediction. Either way, i think we will be just fine! Its not the sexy pick, but Forsberg is a damn good hockey player.

• mrhabby says:

i doubt any players are moved today from the roster or hamilton given the the CBA uncertainty.

What a great day in Sports today, First Germany/Greece, Entry Draft and my slo-pitch game, okay one of those may not be great, but if sure fills the day up!

Happy Draft everyone, find a good tap of Draught to help enjoy the Draft. Guiness works, Heineken etc….

• Lafleurguy says:

Tempting to cheer for Greece as the underdog, but knowing where your allegiance in soccer matters lie, will pull for the powerhouse team.

Muskoka Cream Ale goes down smoothly, but on a hot summer’s day, any blonde wiessebier served by blonde wiessebier servers would go down equally well!

“May you live in interesting times.”

Nice call on the beer bud. As for cheering for underdog, no issues there. I gotta go with my roots. Nervous Nellie today I am, Germany must score first or this game will be a killer. Greece are excellent defenders and seem to know how to maximize their opportunities.

• toinz says:

If greece are up at halftime, sell any Euros you have…

31. Lafleurguy says:

Just hopin’ a skilled forward is chosen and pans out like Anze Kopitar, who was picked 11th in his draft year. I don’t see Kopitar as a power forward, but it’s obvious his large frame enables his great hand skills. Superb skating too. So, are Galchenyuk, Forsberg, Grigorenko, Teravainen, and Faksa in similar modes to Kopitar? (Presuming Yakupov will be unavailable to the Habs).

“May you live in interesting times.”

32. aj says:

@ habsnl: Well, I wouldn’t trade the 3rd pick (if its Galchenyuk or Yakupov) either for JVR or Bobby Ryan. But, if the Habs pick either a Grigorenko or a Forsberg, I wouldn’t be surprised if a trade will happen at that moment in time later tonight. As I was saying earlier, If the Habs pick Grigorenko or Forsberg, the may make a trade for those 2 I mentioned earlier for either a JVR or a Bobby Ryan along with either Plecky or Eller in the mix.

As for Jordan Staal, its too early to speculate I believe if whether he may want to play in Carolina with his Brother Eric. Who wouldn’t want any of the current 29 other NHL teams to have a guy like Jordan Staal? For example, If Ken Holland right now would give him a big offer sheet, I would not be surprised as well if Staal may end up in Detroit.

EDIT: By the way, any news on PA Parenteau lately? Since everybody is eluding for a ‘homegrown’ talent trade to play here, ok.

33. rhino514 says:

I have confidence in Timmins. I think both Galchenyuk and Forsberg are good picks. It´s tough that we may not know until 5 or 6 years from now who was the better pick.

Also, how much is a torn ACL at such a young age an indication of future injuries or talent hampered by injury? Maybe it is not indicative at all, in which case one would lean towards Galchenyuk. Pretty remarkable given the injury that he only dropped two rankings actually.
    At the same time, we have to get rid of the win now culture that pervades Montreal. If Forsberg is a better pick long term than Galchenyuk, if his upside is deemed to be one notch higher, we should go for the better pick. I have to say Flipa came across as typically swedish, a young man with his head firmly on his shoulders, impressive. Reminds me of Saku (though he´s Finnish) in that sense.

• steve17 says:

I don’t see it as worrisome at all. The Oilers have done it before and if they think adding Price would put them over the top, then they may put in an offer sheet. They can afford to give up 4 first rounders. It is great to keep picking in the top 2, but eventually all these players will come off entry level and get big raises and there is only room for so many players. They have some good defence in the system. If they Draft Murray and can sign Shultz, maybe Suter, then having Price just puts them over the top!

Habfan17

• j2w4habs25 says:

qoute ” we have to get rid of the win now culture that pervades Montreal ”

i guess we’ll have to ask how Edmonton did it.

Carey Price #31

• neumann103 says:

I have not seen anyone suggest that Forsberg has a higher upside than Galchenyuk. The book on Forsberg seems to be a lower ceiling than any of the top 5 or 6 picks but a higher likelihood of reaching it.

There are lots of reasons to consider Forsberg a good pick at #3 but a higher upside than Galchenyuk is not one of them.

“Et le but!”

34. rhino514 says:

The compensation for offersheets is absurd hence it hardly ever occurs, and if it did the habs would receive a plethora of high draft picks. So I don´t understand that the Price situation is being painted as something positive.
    The normal preocedure would have been to sign Price long term. The fact that this didn´t occur is a red flag that Price may not be here long term. In any case, it seems to me, the team will have far less leverage when it tries to sign him next year.
    Though I think one has to be positive about the new regime, the failure to re-sign the team´s most valuable asset may be a sign that confidence in the organization is not sky-high. Worrisome.

• JF says:

I don’t understand where you’re coming from on this. It’s far too early to talk about any “failure to re-sign the team’s most valuable asset.” Bergevin has been GM for less than two months, and his first priorities were to assemble his management team and choose his coach. We’re still more than a week from July1. Filing for arbitration with Price is a simple protective measure to prevent other teams handing out offer sheets; I fully expect that he’ll be signed long-term.

35. j2w4habs25 says:

So we know we all get crabby when we see/hear born Quebec players become superstars in the NHL.. right? We complain why they dont want to come play here or why we didnt get them – well its not up to us but I hope today that MB does make the right choice out there – what I am trying to point out here is why we dont pick the best prospect the Q has to offer – after all isnt that why the QMJHL was formed? These french canadians are very talent when playoff time comes around these guys become stars and we know it. If MB does think of it that way – then may it Mikhial Grigorenko. Hes not a Francophone but he has been playing in the big Q.

Francophone who need to be in the list today – hopefully there avaiable for the later picks.
    Dillon Fournier
    Frédérick Roy

“Grigorenko left Russia, learned English, played with a broken ankle, with a mono; he wants to play in the NHL.” – Patrick Roy

Carey Price #31

36. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning and Happy Draft Day. I have a day packed with activities so hopefully the day passes quickly. So looking forward to this draft. I am going to be happy come about 7:30ish no matter what. The Hab’s are getting another piece of the puzzle to go along with PK, Price and Patches. Nail, either of the G’s, Forsberg or Murray will suit me just fine.
    One thing is for sure, this place will explode tomorrow after we pick. Enjoy your day friends.

———————————–

• Lafleurguy says:

Hiya good buddy. Belated Happy Father’s Day! Survey question: will most of the posts tomorrow be positive or negative? Funtime idea, there should be a “Post with the Most” winner daily. And with a Taoist analysis, this site has the yin of Roaster Posters countered by the yang of Toaster Posters! Have a great day Jim, and other friends.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• steve17 says:

It will be a fun night to see what happens. I am also very happy That Bergevin is actually telling us fans something and that Timmins has been able to speak too! What a refreshing change over the old regime!!

Habfan17

• greenfield says:

Totally agree. I feel more confident and comfortable with this new front office than I have for years. I still think the number one pick will be traded, and the Habs will make a shocking move at the top of the draft. Should be a fun evening.

37. nickster13 says:

Listening to Grigorenko. He said he barely spoke english last year, but he has been playing in Quebec, and his english is amazing (ironically). His accent is better than Galchenyuk’s ironically. So maybe he is more cerebral and social and a good teammate than we think.

• Habfan10912 says:

The million dollar question is, Is he worth the risk of the third pick. Not sure that Timmins has ever been a swing for the fence type a guy but perhaps MB is. Not sure if having an accent is a indication of anything other then an accent though. Interesting theory.

———————————–

• nickster13 says:

Well who knows exactly what i means. But its a well known fact that guys who struggle with the language are usually lazier players or players who struggle with the mind game. AK46 barely spoke any english even after many years, and guys like Semin and Yashin and Zherdev had low english skills. I think there could be some relation there.

• Mad Habber says:

Andrei Kostitsyn was consider swinging for the fences. I remember hearing Bob Mac, and Pierre McGuire saying he might have been the most talented player in the top ten, but there were concerns that he had epilepsy.

It has been noted here that Galchenyuk speaks 3 or 4 languages rather fluently, so not sure about more cerebral comment.

Whomever MB picks will have been well thought through. The current strength our mgmt team MB/Dudley/Timmins is their background in scouting.

• nickster13 says:

Not to knock the guy, but what are the 4 languages?
        And im just commenting (and commending) on the fact that Grigorenko has basically mastered the north american accent in about a year. And his accent is cleaner than Galchenyuk, the american. Just an observation that I, as an ESL teacher in Korea find fascinating.

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

Russian, English, Italian and that may be it. Which is still quite impressive.

• nickster13 says:

Not bad at all. They’re both solid picks, and show a commitment to the language, which is nice to see.
            Also, go Germany tomorrow! (my tomorrow..)

• steve17 says:

I am not sold on all the bad press lately. I have been leaning towards Galchenyuk, but I think Grigorenko might still be the best choice!

Habfan17

• HardHabits says:

The only thing that proves is that it is still easier for a foreigner to learn English while living in Quebec than it is to learn French.

38. Strabo says:

Oh it’s a great day to be a an arm chair GM. Hopefully MB and the lads are as good as I am. I only have one wish for today and tomorrow, may Brian Burke screw up the Leafs even more then he already has.
    Have a great day everyone!

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.” Albert Einstein

• Captain aHab says:

I’m guessing that other teams know that Burke is on thin ice and so they likely are asking for the farm in trades, hoping he’ll be desperate enough to pull the trigger. I can’t really see him trading NHL players for unprepared prospects though as that won’t help him short term.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• smiler2729 says:

Brian Burke’s problem is his massive ego. If the GM is the star of your team, you’re in trouble.

This clown consistently places himself in the Toronto hockey limelight with his gruff, oh-I’m-working-so-hard-to-bring-you-a-winner-just-look-at-my-loosened-tie-and-rolled-up-sleeves bull.

The longer the Laffs keep this guy on, the deeper they will sink which is fine with me.

Somebody buy the man a clip-on tie…

_______________________________________
      Calling it like it is:
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Tim Thomas is a Nugentian lunatic.
      Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

39. Captain aHab says:

Well I’m at the stage now where I’ll be OK with one of Galchenyuk, Forsberg, Murray or Grigorenko as our 1st….can’t wait to see if they try to move into the 1st for a second pick.
    —————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• steve17 says:

I was hoping and pushing for the Habs to trade some players for an extra first round. Now I think it may be better to wait until later in the season when teams have injuries or at the trade deadline. Next years draft is supposed to be better and it might be best to add a few picks in that draft as opposed to this one. An extra first round next year might be better!

Habfan17

• Mad Habber says:

No teams will likely overvalue next years picks. Where you might be able to get late 1st/early seconds this year for a song. If you can get picks for cheap this year than why wouldn’t you? Might not be adding elite talent, but possible solid talent.

They said the same thing about the talent level the year the Habs drafted Pacoiretty.

40. Marc10 says:

Rumours are flying let right and center. Loving the chatter from Pitts from the crew at 98.5

Galchenyuk, Matteau and Subban are mentioned. Canadiens trying to get in front of Chicago’s first selection to get at Matteau and willing to trade their 2 second rounders to make it happen… Just rumours (but at least they’re not from Eklund). Apparently the brass loved what Matteau brings.

Habs talking openly of addressing the lack of prospects in the goalie pipeline.

Now a rumour that Prust might want to play in MTL because his girlfriend lives here…

Staal to Carolina of course… Burke going quiet which means he’ll trade the farm and land Nash…

Martin McGuire who calls the Canadiens’ games in French on the radio talked to a scout for one of the teams that just did a mock draft to get their ducks in a row and for the first time, the team could not agree on who to draft. Seems like that’s trend and that there’s genuine debate about who should be picked. (Of course that’s what happens when your GM isn’t Pierre Gauthier. If Pierre was there you can bet there’d be agreement. ;-) )

Totally loving this pre-draft chatter. It’s going to be a good one.

• Chris says:

I posted this a while back, but one of my friends had the good fortune to sit next to the head amateur scout for one of the NHL franchises (won’t mention names) at one of the Memorial Cup games this year. The scout wouldn’t comment on who his team liked, but did say that this was going to be a very hard draft to predict because the scouts were all over the map once you got past the first 4 or 5 guys. A guy that some teams ranked #5 would be ranked #40 by other teams.

Other than Yakupov, there’s not a lot of hope that this year’s draft will produce any superstars (even though it of course will), but there will still be quality guys drafted in the first ten picks of the second round.

• Marc10 says:

An interesting follow up on Yak being the consensus first pick on 98.5 was that Edmonton badly need a big time D man – as the franchise is located in the great white freezing North where top UFA Dmen are paid a premium and are hard to attract (thanks Chris Pronger’s wife). That need would drive Edm to pick a D and perhaps try to move down to #3.

Columbus hates Russians so would balk at Yak and might want to pick Fosberg or Galchenyuk.

That could give Montreal with the opportunity to draft Yak.

Pretty crazy draft if that’s the scenario! And then the big question is… where to we find our big center?

• topher5468 says:

Prust would be a welcomed addition. Love his game. Prust and Boyle were key for the Rangers this last post season. Both play hard, go to the net and of course, Prust is not affraid to drop em.

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

• Marc10 says:

He’s definitely the type of player we need. He’s a lot smaller than Boyle or Rupp though, but he’s a character guy… and boy do we need those!

• steve17 says:

I hope the Habs do not trade both 2nd rounders to get one player. Trade one and a prospect like Weber or Pulashaj if they need to move up a bit to get the player they want.

Habfan17

41. phillyhab says:

What happened to realignment?

42. Un Canadien errant says:

How time flies. Tomorrow the draft.

Also, I found and joined this site last year while searching for info on what the Canadiens would do at the draft, to feed my inner geek. Of course, info was hard to find, but I did come across lots of rumours, fallacies, invective, undecipherable gibberish, high-horsed posters in a right dudgeon, which is at bottom way more fun.

So this is (roughly) my one-year anniversary of membership. In some ways I feel like the new guy around here, but most everyone has made me feel welcome. So thanks all you goombahs and knuckleheads for a good year, looking forward to another one, with the free agency period and the second development camp and then finally training camp (Gary Bettman’s dark soul willing). May we disappear Scott Gomez and find a couple of diamonds in the rough and polish up the ones we have.

It goes without saying, thanks to Mike Boone, Stu Hackel, Pat Hickey and Dave Stubbs for all their hard work on the content. I’m sure you don’t regret creating this monster.

———————————————————————–
    June 22: Alex Galchenyuk
    June 23: Stefan Matteau, Mike Matheson, Martin Frk, Brandon Whitney
    June 24: Travis Moen
    June 26: Mathieu Darche
    July 1: P.A. Parenteau
    July 3: Shane O’Brien
    July 5: Carey Price
    July 9: P.K. Subban

• Marc10 says:

+ 1,000

Happy Anniversary. I’ve enjoyed your posts this past year.

Hockey-wise it’s a year we’ll all want to forget. Here’s hoping the Bergevin era will give us more positive things to yap on about.

Bring on the Draft!

43. aj says:

Just watched TSN.ca regarding to who’s available for a trade: Jordan Staal, Rick Nash, Bobby Ryan, James van Riemsdyk, and Roberto Luongo.http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/#clip706169

Here’s also the article: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=398941

I believe that for a right price, Bergevin might consider making a trade to acquire James Van Riemsdyk from the Flyers. He’s 6’3 and 211 lbs and a decent LW. If the Habs needed a good top-6 to accommodate that position on the 2nd line, i think he’s probably the guy that fits the bill. I would also consider Bobby Ryan from the Anaheim Ducks for a decent trade if possible for the LW position.

Also, if Jordan Staal wants a trade, I would love the Habs make a move this instant.

If this team will think long term and really needs a fine tuning/upgrade at the forwards lineup, the best way to do it is to trade some assests down the road. And that would be either trading a Tomas Plekanec or a Lars Eller.

As for a top-4 Dman, I’m sticking to what I believe should be this teams only option: look for the best blue liner in Nashville. Ryan Suter or Shea Weber may be the only 2 best options available. However, regardless of how Hal Gill may think that he may NOT want to be coached by Therrien, I think he should reconsider signing here.

• habsnl says:

IMO the habs need to build down the middle. Pleks is a good 2nd liner, and DD is good, but not that center that can bring you to a Cup. This is the Habs chance to draft and big center, who is capable of scoring 100 pts. As for Jordan Staal, it’s widely believed that he wants to play with his brother in Carolina. If the Habs acquired him, it would probably only be a rental, as he is UFA after next season. I wouldn’t trade this pick for JVR or Ryan.

• Chris says:

I think Van Riemsdyk could very well be the centrepiece in a trade for Rick Nash. Philly likes to make big splashes, and Howson and Holmgren have a working relationship.

I think you are correct in that Chris, also Philly has Bobrovsky to offer to Columbus. I can definitely see those two teams dance together again. Have a funny feeling though San Jose ends up with Nash.

44. habsnl says:

Would love to see the habs get Galchenyuk at #3. Then Grigorenko slip out of the top 10, and the habs use a couple of the 2nd rounders we have to trade up and get him. Could build this team down the middle for years to come.

45. jols101 says:

Well off to bed. Huge day tomorrow. First Germany is going to spank Greece at the Euro 2012 and then the Habs are going to select the future super star 1st line center we have been missing for years – Galchenyuk.

Commandant – Thanks for all your pre-draft reviews. I have read most of them and they were fantastic. Much appreciated. Cheers.

46. christophor says:

Anaheim’s looking for a 2nd line centerman and Montreal for a top winger. What about this scenario:

To Mtl: 6th overall pick (can still get Grigorenko or Teravainen here) and Bobby Ryan

To Anaheim: 3rd overall pick and Lars Eller (if that’s not enough, Desharnais instead of Eller… and I actually prefer this option, though doubt management agrees. Throw in a 2nd rounder if needed)

If this happens (and this is going to be very unpoplar), Gomez can be kept as the 3rd line centerman, with Bourque and Moen/Leblanc as wingers. This would be a stopgap move, fora a year or two, until Grigorenko is ready (if indeed he is had at #6)

• commandant says:

Anaheim doesn’t do that deal IMO…. but I would from the Montreal perspective.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• christophor says:

You’re probably right but I think they’d seriously consider an offer of #3, #33, and Desharnais. If not, then #3 and Plekanec, though he’d have to waive his NTC. This might actually be best, since Ryan is closer in age to the DD, Eller, Subban, Patches, Price core.

• Billyboy says:

Lars Eller is not going anywhere. That would be a huge mistake. This guy is a keeper.

• Marc10 says:

How bout putting Pleks in there…?

Just saying… If you want a true second line center and want to rebuild through the draft, that’s how you do it.

Getzlaf-Pleks… That’s a solid 1-2 and Pleks with Selanne for one last year. Wow!

But that means we’re seriously rebuilding for the next year. Puts us in line for the 2013 draft lottery with no Pleks around unless Eller takes a massive step up.

47. DMAN says:

IMHO the Habs will draft a Forward/Defenseman or Goaltender with the # 3 overall pick. They may or may not trade that pick as well. The player they draft will pull a Montreal Canadiens jersey over his head and get his picture taken with Montreal Management. #fearlesspredictions
    Then we will find out in a couple years if the player that was selected was the right one or not. #guaranteed

48. commandant says:

So the heat win the title.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

49. commandant says:

Either use the pick at 3 or trade up.

We need elite players, not more 2nd line prospects.

Don’t waste the highest drafting position we’ve had in 30 years.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• TomNickle says:

No kidding. It’s a risk to pick at #3 though. I love that crap I’ve been reading for six weeks or better.

Like it’s more of a risk to be picking at #3 than it is to be picking at #23.

Some people aren’t very good at math.

• christophor says:

I’m torn between thinking this exactly and thinking it better to trade down 3-5 spots, getting something nice in return, and still getting one of Grigorenko or Teravainen. Either of those two could be the best or next to best player out of this draft.

• VancouverHabsFan says:

Amen to that!

50. Rooster says:

Anything less than yakupov or galvhenyuk is a failure in my eyes

51. Habs_4_ever says:

Whomever the Habs draft tomorrow, a great many people will be upset. There is no consensus about anything between Habs fans. Some love Price, some think he’s scum. Some think Subban is the future of the habs, some can’t wait to get rid of him. Some think the Gomez for McDonagh trade was the worst thing BG ever did, some …..never mind.

————————
    “Can we lose the parade float?…..Thank you!”
    -This Old House, GMC commercial-

• nickster13 says:

Ironically, your’re referring to things that are quite unanimous actually.
      The vast majority of Habs fans would never trade Price or Subban (unless return was significant obviously), and also the vast majority of fans believe that the Gomez trade sucked. Both are quite unanimous.
      As for the guy we draft, people can second guess, but no one really knows until a few years from now, so it doesnt really matter what people think anyways. Subban when he was drafted was an afterthought really, and look at him now. So just sit back and enjoy the ride

• Habs_4_ever says:

From reading the posts on this site I don’t think any of these things are unanimous. As for the Gomez thing, I added that in for comedic effect. I guess my writing skills are not such that it made that come through.

————————
        “Can we lose the parade float?…..Thank you!”
        -This Old House, GMC commercial-

• nickster13 says:

Meh, youve heard the saying, the radicals are always the ones that make the most noise.

• Bill says:

There are several excellent posters who still think the Gomez trade was great.

Well, okay, there’s one.

Not me, to be clear.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• TomNickle says:

I don’t feel by any stretch that the Gomez trade was great but I understand why it was made and can’t say that I wouldn’t have done the same.

1. Plekanec was coming off of a terrible season.
        2. The locker room was terribly divided which necessitated a change in leadership.
        3. Deals for Brad Richards and Vincent Lecavalier fell through.
        4. Chris Higgins needed a change of scenery.

Gomez was still a pretty damn good player at the time regardless of the cap hit.

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

Yes, but why throw in Mcdonaugh, to take Gomez`s salary off Sather`s hands should not have required a top prospect. Sather would probably have been happy to give him away.

Hindsight is 20/20.

If Gomez scores 60 points in every year of that contract and McDonagh continues on his current career progression it isn’t a bad deal in my opinion.

Chris Higgins was on his last chance when he got to Vancouver and Pavel Valentenko is bagging somebody’s groceries right now.

McDonagh’s reviews at the time of the trade were mixed too.

• GrimJim says:

Elliotte Friedman said on Calgary radio about a month ago that he was talking to a NYR scout who said that the Rangers targeted McDonagh as a key part of the deal. My impression (although Friedman didn’t say it so I am inferring) is that the deal wouldn’t have happened if Mcdonagh wasn’t included.

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

It turned out to be a terrible deal but Gainey did make one great trade. Craig Rivet for Josh Georges and a 1st round pick (Pacioretty) was outstanding. I think we have beaten the Gomez trade to death on this board.

• alwayssunny says:

Gomez’ contract was the worst in the NHL at the time of the deal and every GM except one knew it. To say it was an astonishingly stupid trade for the Habs is to give it way too much credit. It was unthinkable and you can grab as many of those tenuous straws as you want, it wont change it.

• neumann103 says:

Tom even when I disagree with your opinion I respect it’s thoughtfulness, and you undoubtedly know more about hockey than I do, but seriously?

I remember just being flat out astonished that the deal was made. Not just doubting Gomez (although I did explicitly think that 15 goal, 40 assist Gomez was a truer indicator than 33 goal one season Gomez was) but because I really thought that was an unmovable contract. I was astonished that anyone would take him, let alone a team that didn’t have cap floor issues.

I had little knowledge of McDonagh so that is more of an adding insult to injury factor. I just thought taking Gomez’s contract for essentially the same money as Koivu and Kovalev signed for was nowhere close to an upgrade. Even if you wanted a culture change I just don’t see the Gomez logic then or now.

Even if you were going to take Gomez you would need a sweetener, not to give one up.

“Et le but!”

52. nickster13 says:

I’ve said it before, ill say it again.
    Trade the 3rd overall pick to Tampa for their 10th and 19th picks. With the 10th pick, we draft Teravainen, or another top player. Then We draft Hertl with the 19th pick, as he is the rookie of the year winner in the czech league and has size, and had a great combine.
    Easy as pie! 2 blue-chippers for the price of 1!

• TomNickle says:

You’re dreaming with Teravainen at #10. He won’t get by the Ducks at #6.

Why not make your #3 selection and trade both second rounders to get back into the first round?

• nickster13 says:

Well you never know with those 7-13 range picks, they kinda go all over the place depending on team need, or another guy falling that they didnt expect. So Teravainen COULD fall there, not saying for sure, but id say theres about a 50% chance he would be there.

As for trading the 2 2nd rounders, who would bite? I would be all for that of course though, but I think in terms of net gain, a 10th and a 19th is more valuable than a 3rd and a 27th lets say. One might disagree, but either way I hope both options are seriously explored, the more blue-chip prospects, the better.

• TomNickle says:

Teravainen scored at a pace better than Forsberg playing a higher level of hockey.

He doesn’t have the size but not every GM is Brian Burke. Mark my words, no way in hell that kid is available at #10.

The defensemen won’t be going as high as pundits are saying either. Slater Koekkek and Matt Finn stack up well against Griffin Reinhart and Morgan Reilly but Brendan Gaunce and Colton Sissons don’t stack up well with Forsberg and Teravainen. The point being that the high end offensive skill at forward is always more valuable to a team than the plethora of comparable defensemen that usually differ in range by a full round’s worth of picks.

The forwards always go higher.

• neumann103 says:

Faksa?

Not that I would want to trade the #3 pick but if Yakupov and Galchenyuk go 1 and 2 and you could get 10th and 19th could you take someone like Faksa and best available player at 19th and be happy.

I guess the question is with the uncertainty about Grigorenko, and the perception of upside limits on Forsberg, is there a play like the above.

“Et le but!”

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

That`s what I would love to see the Habs do, pick at 3 and offer a package of 2nd rounders to get another 1st rounder.

53. alwayssunny says:

Reading between the lines I think it is clear that Timmins has his mind made up. Ladies and Gentlemen Teuvo Teräväinen. He looks like a good little player. I’m going to go ahead and pencil him in to our roster. So notwithstanding a tweak or two we have:

Cole Desharnais Pacioretti
    Gionta Plekanec Bourque
    Leblanc Eller Teräväinen
    Gomez Nokelainen White

Markov* Subban
    Gorges Kaberle
    Emelin Weber/Diaz
    *will probably only play 15 games

NHL East, you have just been put on notice. Gainey/Gauthier planted the little flowers now all is to be done is to smell them.

• Bill says:

I love Tervainen based on everything I hear, but I can’t see the Habs drafting a small forward at #3. Not saying they are right to avoid him, just saying I don’t see it happening.

Full Breezer 4 Life

54. jmsheehy19 says:

Super random but, somebody posted a YouTube video months ago that had a newton’s cradle (ball pendulum) being swung in a specific manner that created coordinating frequencies.

I think it had something to do with wave dynamics.

Anybody remember this? And if so, what was the name of said video?

55. jols101 says:

Whats the story on the Grigorenko age thing? Have not heard anything on that…

• commandant says:

Some say that because he was born in a remote part of Russia, and his mom worked for the Passport office, his age was forged.

Sounds like B.S. to me. Yes this has happened in baseball, but usually it is a 17, 18, 19 year old kid coming out of nowhere. Grigorenko was scouted by CSKA at the age of 13. His mom would have had to plan this so far in advance it seems implausible when compared to what we’ve seen in other sports.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• jedimyrmidon says:

Poor Grigorenko. Seriously, if all these rumours and questions about falling lower in the draft aren’t enough to make a young prospect bolt to the KHL where they won’t bug him to death then I don’t know what will.

56. That's-Hockey says:

The boys will make the right moves tomorrow to rebuilding the Montreal Canadiens on the way to winning a stanley cup in the near future.

57. TomNickle says:

Looking ahead to all of the Mackinnon hype. Get to know this kid Aleksander Barkov folks.

Played for Finland in both the Under 18 and Under 20 Championships as a 16 year old.

Playing for Tappara in the SM-Liga this season he scored 16 points in 32 games.

If he continues to develop as he has thus far, he’ll really give Mackinnon a challenge for the #1 overall selection.

• SlovakHab says:

That gives us even more incentive to draft high next year rather than this year. Yakupov will be gone at #1, Galchenyuk may or may not be there and the rest is not as good as next year’s top class. Even Galchenuyk may not be.

• commandant says:

Don’t count out Seth Jones… Huge US defenceman, the son of Popeye Jones, former Toronto Raptor.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• TomNickle says:

Who says Columbus will finish with a lottery pick next year? They aren’t exactly without good hockey players.

Brassard, Johansen, Umberger, Prospal, Letestu and a very good crop of young defensemen in Johnson, Wisniewski, Nikitin, Savard, Russell and John Moore.

They’ll also be getting one hell of a return for Rick Nash.

With good coaching they’ll be a much better team.

If there’s a team whose first round pick I want, it’s Minnesota, Toronto, Islanders or Tampa.

• HFX-HabFan says:

Not to nitpick but I think Russell went to STL for Nikitin. I hear you on the Minnesota thing though, unless they really do open up the fault and are able convince Parise to “come home”.

• nickster13 says:

I think Tampa and Columbus will be much improved.
          But like you said, look for Minnesota, Toronto, NYI and Edmonton to bottom out.

• ProHabs says:

Don’t forget to add the Habs to that list. Unless many changes are made on the ice in the off season, I don’t see us scaring anyone. We might end up with MacKinnon without having to make a trade.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Don’t forget Fedor Tyutin! : )

• SlovakHab says:

I don’t expect anything better than a lottery pick from CBJ. No goaltending, very weak defence and no offence with probablility of trading Nash for picks/prospects.
          None of the players you mentioned makes me think any other thing but lottery pick.

• TomNickle says:

If experience didn’t count for anything teams would never improve. Columbus is poised to improve.

• SlovakHab says:

So has been Edmonton and yet they have not improved. With lots more talent than CBJ has.

• TomNickle says:

What does Edmonton have on defense? In goal?

Hemsky, Nugent-Hopkins and Hall have all had significant injuries as well. And that’s been a major factor in holding back their success.

• jmsheehy19 says:

I wouldn’t bet on the wild to be bottom feeders. Adding Granlund, Coyle, and likely Brodin will help round out a lineup that was very successful for half a season. Assuming Koivu doesn’t get injured again, they’ll be better next year.

I would gamble on Edmonton (again), the Islanders (again), and maybe Dallas or even Calgary.

• TomNickle says:

Granlund will probably help immediately but Coyle and Brodin will see limited action if any with the Wild this season.

They’re thin at every position on the roster with mercurial talent in Heatley and Setoguchi.

I don’t see any improvement coming from them this season, but it’s anyone’s guess.

58. pmaraw says:

maybe tomorrow i can wear my forsberg jersey I bought a few years back when i read an eklund post…. d’oh!

59. jols101 says:

What would be heart breaking to me is if Galchenyuk is still available when we pick but Bergevin and Timmins have decided that Forsberg is the right guy and take him.

Most of us assume the Habs will not get Galchenyuk only if Columbus takes him or Toronto trades up and grabs him. What if everything goes to script and 1 is Yakapov, 2 is Murray and everyone on HIO is going nuts because we are going to get Galchenyuk, Bergevin walks to the stage and says “Montreal is proud to select, Filip Forsberg”….ARRGGG, I would be a little depressed..

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

Personally I think Forsberg is terrific and would not be disappointed if that happens but I think you have to put your trust in Timmins, they know these players much better than we do !! I think Galchenyuk is terrific too, my only concern is the serious knee injury he suffered, love his skill and work ethic. I really think Timmins will pick one of these two but he is the expert.

• Habilis says:

Yeah I’ve been having daydream-nightmares about that scenario too. I think the worst would be if we took Forsberg and Toronto ends up with Gal. I may need to drink too much tomorrow night if that ends up being the case.

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

I may drink too much tomorrow night no matter what happens, not sure why many on this site are down on Forsberg, I think he will be a terrific NHL player. Like everyone here I am excited about the draft and look forward to a much more exciting year for Hab fans.

• Habilis says:

It’s not so much that I’m down on Forsberg, it’s that I’m high on Galchenyuk. From everything I’ve read it seems like he’s a gamble, but one with a huge payout. Forsberg seems more like a sure bet with a moderate payout.

Cheers either way though.

• Bill says:

Uh, yeah … sure … except none of us knows how either player will turn out. How depressed would you be if Forsberg winds up being a 30-goal scorer for the Habs while Galchenyuk fizzles for another team?

Not saying that will happen, but obviously there are a lot of uncertainties about each of these draft picks.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• jedimyrmidon says:

That wouldn’t be heart-wrenching in my mind. I will let Timmins and his staff do the picking. What would be heart-wrenching (and I have sort of resigned myself to this) is if Columbus takes away the possibility of the Habs drafting who they were targeting.

60. bel33 says:

I’m so glad that most of the idiots… err… sorry posters on TSN.ca haven’t found their way here. Reading some of the comments on the Price salary arbitration article is mind numbing.

61. Mattyleg says:

I have complete and utter faith in the Montreal Canadiens’ management.

Whoever they draft sounds good to me.

Brian Burke, on the NHL Countdown to the Draft, just said that the Leafs management’s intelligence was very limited.
    It made me smile.
    He also said that he knows exactly who he wants at #5.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Despite all the rumors of Grigorenko falling, if Yak and Galchenyuk are gone 1,2 I think Grigs is the most talented big forward/centre remaining.

63. H.Upmann says:

Am I the only who feels like Uncle Burke is about to pull of a ridiculous move to try and nab Galchenyuk? He’s going to make that trade for Kessel look like it was nothin’! Guy is going to mortgage the Leafs future to deal with Columbus.

• habsfan0 says:

Burke is under tremendous pressure to make a “splash” at this draft.

Nothing he’ll do will end up surprising me.

I’m almost convinced he’ll try to pry Edmonton’s Number 1 pick from them by offering Schenn, Kadri, Komisarek, and probably 2 other prospects. Edmonton will still get a pretty good player at number 5.

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

Agreed, Burke is under pressure and he loves the limelight, I expect him to do something to get the Leaf nation excited, plus Edmonton loves Reinhart and they could get him at number 5, your deal makes a lot of sense to me.

64. Curtis O Habs says:

Package the pick for Evander Kane.

• habstrinifan says:

I would be ok packaging the 3rd overall pick for Kane.

Funny thing is I heard 2 weeks or so ago from a friend who has some not so close but nevertheless real connections to the Jets (the Atlanta edition of the Jets) that there was talk of a trade: Kane and Mark Stuart to Mtl for 3rd pick and Weber.

I ignored it cause he told me his info was very weak but he mentioned it cause he knew I was habs crazy..

65. ZepFan2 says:

Well Tom, looks like we’re even.

Our GM doesn’t need to leave his tie undone to create the impression that he’s working hard!

66. SlovakHab says:

I’d look at trading our 1st rounder to CBJ in attempt to draft MacKinnon next year.
    there is nothing about Galchenyuk, Forsberg or Murray that excites me. MacKinnon looks to be the next dominant player a la Crosby/Stamkos.

Alexander Galchenyuk.

#1 overall pick of the OHL priority selection.

83 points in 68 games as an OHL rookie(comparable to Mackinnon funny enough).

Returned in less than seven months completely from a torn ACL and dominated the fitness testing at the NHL combine without a great amount of time to get into peak physical condition.

Speaks four languages.

Is elite in every categorized skill you can evaluate offensively for a player his age.

Not much to be excited about there.

• habsfan0 says:

Very impressed with his linguistic skills.

Hopefully, one of those languages is French.

• Chris says:

I’ve seen it said on various blogs that Galchenyuk dominated the fitness testing at the NHL combine, but I haven’t actually seen his results to see how he did against the averages. He only finished in the top 10 in one category (the Wingate anaerobic fitness, peak output test) and that one hasn’t really been a particularly strong indicator of success based on past combines.

If a forward prospect dominated the combine testing, it was Brendan Gaunce who was in the top 10 in a number of categories, particularly strength tests.

• TomNickle says:

I didn’t say he dominated the combine. But he dominated the fitness testing.

• SlovakHab says:

You said exactly “dominated the fitness testing at the NHL combine” – what is your source?

If he speaks one or four languages, we don’t need to care about.
            MacKinnon is 1.5 years younger and scored 31-47-78 in 58 games with a +11 rating, while Galchenyuk was a bit less impressive 31-52-83 in 68 games with minus-8 rating. I don’t know who is on MacKinnon’s line but Galchenyuk had Yakupov.

• TomNickle says:

He finished first in anaerobic peak power output.

• TomNickle says:

Jonathan Drouin is a linemate of Mackinnon’s and he’s projected to be a top ten pick in next June’s draft.

Mackinnon is touted as the next Crosby and based on everything that’s been on display so far, he’s not even close.

Next year’s first overall selection could very well be Aleksander Barkov.

• Chris says:

Tom: I agree that MacKinnon has yet to show he is even close to Crosby’s class (but then again, Crosby is ridiculously good, so that was always a long shot).

But it is worth noting that the QMJHL is not the offensive run-and-gun league that it was even five years ago. Scoring and shots are WAY down over the past couple of seasons (I believe they were actually lower than the OHL in both categories this past season), so the offensive numbers are a little hard to compare now within that league.

I don’t have link but recall tsn saying he was one of the most impressive during combine.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Or we could leave our roster unchanged and draft MacKinnon the old-fashioned way – by tanking.

No one would suspect a thing.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

67. habstrinifan says:

Maybe it’s a hangover from the past few years.

I am getting nervous something bad is gonna happen at the draft..as far as habs are concerned.

Tell me again .. Marc Bergevin knows his stuff…right!

• habsfan0 says:

“Never fear, Bergevin is here!”

Or words to that effect.

• TomNickle says:

They collectively have demonstrated that they’re very good with scouting, development and trading. Between Bergevin, Carriere, Dudley and Timmins that is.

I’m hoping that they’re shrewd but not arrogant.

• Boomer says:

I trust Timmins when it comes to scouting except when we passed up Giroux for That nobody Fischer… and when we passed up Carter, Richards, Dustin Brown, Zach Parise, Ryan Getzlaf, Ryan Kessler, Corey Perry, and Brent Burns for Kostitsyn…
      not to put all the blame on him, its the GM that pulls the trigger. but ya gotta admit the ball was somewhat dropped there…
      besides that no worries!!
      ;p

• REB says:

Let’s be honest… Kostitsyn, when he was on his game, was everything we wanted; a large forward, who had skills oozing ort of his pores, who charged the net, had a heavy shot, hit like a freight train….

Personally, I think the meds he takes for his epileptic condition, took a lot off of that package.

• Timo says:

Marc Bergevin hired Michel Therrien. Yeah, he knows his stuff.

On a bright side (for me) I just had a Chakra massage and it was AWESOME!!!

69. rogieshan says:

Kevin Allen of USA Today predicts the Habs to take Ryan Murray, which in many ways make sense because his reputation as a high character player with leadership abilities are highly valued by Timmins.

If the Habs do end up taking the consensus number one defenseman 3rd overall, perhaps they will then trade for a mid-teen pick and select Mikhail Grigorenko, since he is expected to fall below top-10.

It could be a win-win.

• TomNickle says:

If this team does decide to draft a defenseman, it would be well served by trading down ten spots.

• Bill says:

I love the idea of drafting Murray. He’s blue chip, potential to be a long-standing number 1 D … when Markov hangs them up, a top blue-line pairing of Murray (shoots left) and Subban (shoots right) would look fantastic for about a decade!

Full Breezer 4 Life

• TomNickle says:

I’m sure many will disagree but I think Emelin will be that guy in the not too distant future.

He moves the puck so much better and more creatively than he gets credit for and never panics. He gets caught out of position every once in a while but that’s not a huge concern at this point in his career.

• neumann103 says:

Emelin has huge upside. At the beginning of last season I was posting that he might have a rough first 20 games or so as he got used to the North American game and ice, but that Martin had to just ride with him and watch him blossom.

I do think they need to find a way to keep him on the left side. He really dials his game back into a safer zone if he has to play the wrong side. Its one of the reasons I like the number of right handed D the Habs have

“Et le but!”

• db says:

This would be a nice problem to have in a couple years…
        PK-Gorges
        Beaulieu-Tinordi
        Murray-Emelin

I’m hoping Gal is available but I also hope we take the best player available…

70. JohnBellyful says:

Guys, guys, guys, time’s a wastin’ here. Less than 24 hours to the start of the draft and this site’s server is still actin’ screwy. Rather than continue debating who to trade, who to draft, shouldn’t we be pitchin’ in, trying to help the IT guys at HIO figure out how to fix to the problem? Otherwise, we’re gonna be really ticked tomorrow night if we’re still experiencing the same hassles we are now.
    Here are my suggested fixes:
    — reboot [several times; if that doesn't work, recycle]
    — wiggle the cable at the back of the server
    — check fan to see if in working order [no, not HabFab, the one that cools the machine]
    — run several freeware diagnostic programs at once to get to source of problem
    — go over emails from the past three months to see if any former HIO member threatened to bring down system
    — determine PG’s comings and goings for the past two days
    — install Ubuntu

13. Dallas Stars – Slater Koekkek(D) – Peterborough Petes
    14. Calgary Flames – Radek Faksa(C) – Kitchener Rangers
    15. Ottawa Senators – Andrei Vasilevski(G) – Tolpar Ufa
    16. Washington Capitals – Thomas Wilson(W) – Plymouth Whalers
    17. San Jose Sharks – Malcolm Subban(G) – Belleville Bulls
    18. Chicago Blackhawks – Sebastian Collberg(W) – Frolunda
    19. Tampa Bay Lightning – Hampus Lindholm(D) – Rogle Jr.
    20. Philadelphia Flyers – Nicholas Kerdiles(W) – USA Under 18
    21. Buffalo Sabres – Matthew Finn(D) – Guelph Storm
    22. Pittsburgh Penguins – Brendan Gaunce(C) – Belleville Bulls
    23. Florida Panthers – Thomas Hertl(C) – Slavia Praha
    24. Boston Bruins – Derrick Pouliot(D) – Portland Winterhawks
    25. St. Louis Blues – Michael Matheson(D) – Dubuque
    26. Vancouver Canucks – Colton Sissons(C) – Kelowna Rockets
    27. Phoenix Coyotes – Pontus Aberg(W) – Djurgarden
    28. Columbus Blue Jackets – Zemgus Girgensons(C) – Dubuque
    29. New Jersey Devils – Phillip Di Giuseppe(W) – Michigan University
    30. Los Angeles Kings – Brady Skjei(D) – USA Under 18

***Toronto Maple Leafs acquire the #2 overall pick in exchange for the #5 overall pick in 2012 and the #35 pick in 2012***

***Pittsburgh Penguins acquire the #8 overall pick in the 2012 draft and Brandon Sutter in exchange for Jordan Staal***

***Columbus Blue Jackets acquire the #28 overall selection, Christian Thomas, Dylan McIlrath and Brandon Dubinsky in exchange for Rick Nash***

Sweet Dreams Everyone

• jedimyrmidon says:

Bold predictions. Let’s hope Toronto doesn’t move.

• habstrinifan says:

I think I am the ‘only doubter’ but I am wary of Forsberg being drafted that highly. Hope HABS does not draft him at #3.

• TomNickle says:

You aren’t the only doubter. I’ve had around a dozen very elaborate posts about why I wouldn’t touch him with a pick higher than even fifth.

I’m very concerned however that Timmins likes the kid a lot and if Yakupov and Galchenyuk are off of the board when it’s the Habs’ turn, all bets are off.

• Chris says:

I’ll be curious to see if George McPhee tries to move up. He has some assets to play with (two first round picks, a young goaltender, and a number of defencemen) and some needs (Semin is almost certainly gone this summer).

If there’s a team that I could see surprising everybody, it might be the Capitals.

• Bill H says:

I think Burke has you psyched out. He won’t get the #2 pick. Columbus will keep it and draft Forsberg, leaving Galchenyuk for the Habs. At least that is my guess. We shall see how it happens tomorrow.

72. habstrinifan says:

Wasnt Rinaldo absolutely amazing today. Brought me outta my seat as often as Guy Lafleur used to.

73. JohnBellyful says:

Once more unto the breach:

NEW YORK – Nine people were sent to hospital today after a brawl erupted among attendees at a conference for advanced hockey stat buffs.
    Witnesses say the dispute involved advocates of two slightly different systems for measuring the true worth of individual hockey players. Fenwick counts the number of shots on goal as well as shots that miss by both teams while a player is on the ice. Corsi does the same but includes blocked shots as well. In both cases, the differential between shots for and against, plus or minus, says a lot about a team’s puck possession while a particular player is on the ice.
    One bemused observer said the two sides got into a heated argument during an analysis of this year’s Stanley Cup playoffs.
    “One clip showed a terrific end-to-end rush capped off by a brilliant tic-tac-toe passing play that forced the goalie to make a fantastic glove save,” the man said. “I expected to hear a big cheer for a great play all around but one group began shouting the shot was going wide and another group yelled the puck was headed for the top part of the net. I didn’t think it made any difference according to their systems but these guys took it serious. They jawed at each other for 15 minutes and it escalated from there, from texting nasty messages to each other to menacing finger waggles all the way up to vicious slaps.”
    A paramedic said no one in either group was seriously hurt.
    “The Corsi guys suffered a few cuts and bruises plus some bumps while the Fenwick fellows ended up woozy, minus some teeth. I’d say it was pretty even.”
    One blogger at the event said the fracas was actually started by a splinter group, the Putzes, who are pushing to have icings recognized as another tool for measuring one team’s dominance over another.
    “Their argument is, the team responsible for an icing ‘sets the agenda’ and that the time it takes for the puck to travel the length of the ice and then be touched to get a whistle is a form of puck possession in the sense the other team doesn’t have it and therefore can’t score.”
    An even smaller group was barred from the two-day conference altogether. It says assists are over-rated and have less to do with a game’s outcome than defencemen getting penalized for shooting the puck over the glass.