Bergevin, Timmins speak on eve of draft; sked released

Habs sked

Hey, it’s old… but the Habs won the Stanley Cup that year!

The Canadiens are scheduled to open their 2012-13 season at home on Oct. 11 vs. the Ottawa Senators. That is, provided the league and players come to terms on a new collective bargaining agreement so we can have some hockey.

The Habs have not opened a season at home since their Oct. 2, 1999 game hosting the Toronto Maple Leafs, a 4-1 victory for the visitors.

Here is the team’s full schedule. And here is the full NHL schedule.

•  •  •

The Gazette’s Pat Hickey is in Pittsburgh for the draft.

Here’s audio from GM Marc Bergevin and scouting director Trevor Timmins.

And from a few top prospects:

Malcolm Subban | Alex Galchenyuk | Filip Forsberg | Mikhail Grigorenko I and II | Matt Dumba

• RDS’ Renaud Lavoie reports the Habs have filed for salary arbitration with RFA goalie Carey Price, thus heading off any offer-sheet tomfoolery.

•  •  •

From the Canadiens’ release this morning regarding their schedule:

The Montreal Canadiens and the NHL today released the schedule for
the 2012-13 season. For the first time since the 1999-00 season, the team will open the season at home,
facing the Ottawa Senators on Thursday, October 11.

The Canadiens’ will close the regular season on Saturday, April 13 against the Maple Leafs, in
Toronto, wrapping up an 82-game schedule that will span over 185 days.

Nineteen of the 26 weeknight games at the Bell Centre will start at 7:30 p.m. Seven other games
will start at 7 p.m., including the home opener on October 11.

Saturday games at home are scheduled for 7 p.m. The Canadiens will also play two matinee games
at home during the traditional Super Bowl Weekend on Saturday, February 2 facing the New York
Islanders (1 p.m.) and Sunday, February 3 hosting the Ottawa Senators (1 p.m.).

In 2012-13, the Canadiens will face each of their division rivals (Boston, Buffalo, Ottawa and
Toronto) six times (24 games). Four games will be played against each of the other 10 teams from the
Eastern Conference (40 games). The remaining 18 games will be played versus Western Conference
teams with a minimum of one game against each of the 15 Western teams, plus three (3) games
featuring Canadian rivals from the Western Conference (Calgary, Vancouver and Edmonton).

The Canadiens will play seven (7) preseason games between September 23 and October 7,
including five (5) games at the Bell Centre, where the team will host Ottawa, Buffalo, Carolina, Boston
and New Jersey. Two (2) preseason games will also be played on the road: in Ottawa (September 27)
and at Colisée Pepsi in Quebec City against the Carolina Hurricanes (October 2).

All Canadiens regular season games will be broadcast on RDS-HD, Cogeco Diffusion (98.5 FM) and
TSN Radio 990.

Canadiens home games will be played at least once on each day of the week, with the exception of
Friday. Saturday remains the busiest day on the schedule with 23 games, including 13 home contests.

1. twilighthours says:

I sorta hope they don’t fix the login issues. There are few real surprises in life.

2. habstrinifan says:

Couple questions based on the move made by HABS re Price.

Why was same not done for Subban…. just asking.

Do they see less of a threat of offer being made or is Subban not yet eligible for arbitration or simliar ‘poach’ offers (he is still working on entry level contract)….

Or is this insight from Dudley re Burke ready to make offer and so HABS made the move.

Just curious.

3. nickster13 says:

I got online finally!
    I hope we see some trades tomorrow, thats all i wanna say. Picks are fun and all, but hardly any surprises or any short term effects.
    I want the big guns to move! Go go go!

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the rocket!”

Holy frigamoli. I was ProHabs for a moment there.

5. mrhabby says:

Staal turns down a 10 year offer per Bob Mckenzie..crazy.

6. Habitant in Surrey says:

…wouldn’t it be a hoot for the Islanders if Yakupov wound up in their laps at 4 ?
    …so, let’s play possibility of …Galchenyuk vs Yakupov for Our Habs :)

7. L Elle says:

OK fake mod, why’d you delete my reply to HabFab? (or whoever he is presently).

8. Habitant in Surrey says:

…a few months ago I projected an excellent chance Yakupov may be there at number 3 for Us …thinking Edmonton needs an elite D-man, and Columbus has have had their nutz crushed by picking Russians in the past
    …My sanity was questioned by a Few in Our inbred Asylum
    …well, the way ‘the experts’ are talkin’ …it doesn’t seem so far-fetched now …does it ?
    …we’ll see Who’s sane manana :)

9. Habfan10912 says:

Off topic. Sandusky’s son: Father abused me. Sick. Sick. Sick.

———————————–

10. Un Canadien errant says:

Like Keanu Reeves-Neo-Mr. Anderson: “Whoa!…”

I just tried to refresh the page to see what was new, and I was transported back to a 1997 bulletin board. I was trippin’, the only thing I could recognize were the smileys. I had to log in, and was whisked back to the present.

The Matrix is real.

———————————————————————–
    June 22: Alex Galchenyuk
    June 23: Stefan Matteau, Mike Matheson, Martin Frk, Brandon Whitney
    June 24: Travis Moen
    June 26: Mathieu Darche
    July 1: P.A. Parenteau
    July 3: Shane O’Brien
    July 5: Carey Price
    July 9: P.K. Subban

11. Habfan10912 says:

Confession. Feeling a little keft out that i haven’t logged in as anyone else. Not sure who i would have liked to be. I think the clinical name for this is multiple username disorder (MUD) or impostor poster disease (IPD)
    ————————–

12. frontenac1 says:

Hey look at me! I’m Brian Burke!! I’m on TV ! Its Me Me Me ! I’m Brian Burke! Look at Me Me Me! Everyone Look at Me!!

13. L Elle says:

I haven’t seen the prospects play live, and have only seen a few games on crappy feeds, not even enough for a gut feeling.

Whoever the newest Hab is, I love him already. ;)

14. jols101 says:

Watching the TSN pre draft show and right at the beginning they showed the draft board and it looked like Buffalo and Toronto switched picks. Did anyone else see that or are my eyes just going on me? It looked like it said at pick 5 Buffalo from Toronto and at 12 Toronto from Buffalo. Again I might be lossing it…I am sure they would be talking about it so i am leaning towards getting glasses…

• Mad Habber says:

Your eyes where correct. I saw it too…

Duthie explained they are still testing out the board and no trades have happened. He then ask Burke if he could confirm and Burke just sat there with his grumpy face…It’s going to be one of those interviews Duthie says..lol

15. ont fan says:

If Edmonton wasn’t picking 1st they would take Rienhart according to Mackenzie. So don’t rule that out

I really get the feeling Burke is trading with either Columbus or Edmonton and using Schenn and whatever else to get their pick.

• jedimyrmidon says:

That’s the problem with this year’s draft. Even if Edmonton does decide to trade the #1 overall pick, or Columbus decides to trade the #2 pick, they will trade them to teams who will take the forwards the Habs would want to draft anyways.

It seems like no one wants to draft a defenseman at #1 or #2 though I’m hoping someone will. In fact, that’s what the Habs need.

• ont fan says:

If I were Edmonton and I was talking to the Leafs, I would be giving the Habs a chance to match the offer. Picking 3rd is better than taking a chance at 5th. Who is comparable to Schenn.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

If the Oilers take Yakupov I think the Islanders will swap with Columbus and pick their favourite defenceman. If the Oilers take a defenceman I think the Leafs will do whatever it takes to get Yakupov at #2, and I think that trade will be about quantity over quality. I can see the Blue Jackets giving up the #2 pick for the #5 plus two of Kadri, Colborne, Frattin, Ashton, or whatever the Leafs have for forwards, and I think that’d be a good trade for both teams. I don’t think the Oilers aould be interested in any of the Leafs forward prospects, and I don’t think Schenn would be enough to get the Oilers to move down to #5.

16. ont fan says:

Mackenzie isn’t sure Edmonton will take Yak. Mcguire says they have to take Murray or Rhienhart.

In listening to Bobby MacK on TSN talk about Jordan Staal, it really is sounding like this guy is pretty set on going to Carolina to play with his brother. I don’t think it is worth giving the farm or even the machine shed to get this guy for one year prior to him going UFA. Really is sounding like he wants to end up with brother, so I say this to temper the temptation to make a big trade to grab the fellow. Don’t get me wrong, Jordan Staal would be a wonderful player for the Habs.

Okay, I think I have logged in successfully! Woohoo! I felt like a meth head who couldn’t get his fix this afternoon. Oh, I feel so much better now. To bad I had nothing meaningful to add to the conversation. Remember, I’m a meth head! :)

19. Habfan10912 says:

Wasn’t the Gremlin the car with the exploding gas tank? Or was that the Pinto? Couple of classic cars.

———————————–

20. joshbenn says:

MB should try to pull off a trade for JVR. He’d be a perfect fit to play with Pleks and Gionta.

21. HabFab says:

Now I’m “alwayssunny”…help!

22. HabFab says:

Stubbs wants whoever has his profile to please pay his bills!

23. alwayssunny says:

I thought Pierre Macguire was really on to something powerful when he suggested the Habs should trade PK and the 3 for the first overall. Pierre is very shrewd, a clever little mouse. Tomorrow he will say no they shouldn’t, so either way he can tell us he told us so for the next 10 years. I am not sure Bergevin (or any other GM in the league or world) has that kind of vision so I doubt it will happen, but it is observations like this that make Pierre the best GM on cable television.

• Mad Habber says:

That’s the Don Cherry full coverage tactic. Though I’m not sure if Cherry flip flops, just never hear about his insights when he is wrong. But over and over again if he was right.

• jedimyrmidon says:

So painful watching reporters trying to wheedle out the Habs’ intentions at the draft – which ironically could only hurt the team seeing as they’re #3 and not #2 or 1, and hence have a lot to lose.

24. The Dude says:

Man ,Price is gonna get so OVERPAID! Trade him and get Malcolm Subban. Halak at $3.5 looks pretty sweet right now………

25. frontenac1 says:

Millionaires vs Billionaires….”She got the Goldmine and I got the Shaft” Jerry Reed. Hola !

26. boing007 says:

The SportsNet ticker tape just said that the Canadiens were filing for salary arbitration after contract talks with Carey Price and his agent.

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

27. neumann103 says:

I posted this yestrday but as the thread was dying. I amused myself terribly so I will reproduce

neumann103 here Just a test post to see who I am logged in as.
    As soon as I post this I will check and modify my sig accordingly.

If Tom Nickle sig will be: I’m right and you’re wrong. Just wait ’til my upcoming third response to your response to my reply for the rhetorical coup de grace.

If Hard Habits sig will be: Tank tankity tank tank TAAAANNNK!

If The Dude sig will be: Blaaarghhh! Hummffle!”

If Sean Bonjovi sig will be: I am open to trading Tomas Plekanec for a better hockey player than Max Pacioretty… like Andrei Kostitsyn!

Et le but!

“Et le but!”

OMG!!!! I’m logged in as HardHabits. Now I can do something I’ve wanted to do for ages…..

Tank, tank, tank, tank, tank, tank. Size and grit.

29. aj says:

@ commandant:

Just to comment what you just typed earlier:

The Habs don’t have the #122nd pick on the 5th round this year. Calgary now holds the pick since Gauthier the wrecker traded Mike Cammalleri (the whiner but still a good player), Kari Ramo, and this pick in exchange for René Bourque and Patrick Holland.

30. shiram says:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

Breaking news: Hearing Jordan Staal turned down 10-yr mega offer from PIT. Has indicated to PIT he doesn’t plan on signing extension now.

• aj says:

Super! That makes Bergevin having a more ‘interest’ if possible to acquire the rights for this guy. Since Jordan Staal is now expressing interest to test the free agency or trade market, the Habs should get this guy and make a trade or offer a new contract. I’m up for it! I know some of you guys don’t like it but if it will help this team wins games, so be it!

31. Hali_Hab says:

How about this trade: our 3rd pick, Plecky and Bealieau to the Ducks for their 6TH over all pick and Ryan. We get Ryan and then replace Bealieau with one of the ample D men available. maybe even Matt Dumba.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Throw in Pacioretty and we got a deal.

*Sean BonJovi’s Draft List = 1. Yakupov 2. Grigorenko 3. Galchenyuk*

• Hali_Hab says:

haha.. i don’t think its that bad .. the ducks get a solid d prospect a center and who ever they use the 3rd pick on. i think it would be a good swap for both teams

• neumann103 says:

It is a terrible deal. Habs would be nuts to offer.

I realize that I am in a minority here but I wouldn’t trade Plekanec for Ryan even up. In Ryan you are probably getting 10 more goals a year (being generous) and losing 10-15 assists for 10% more in actual salary and a tiny bump in cap hit for the same term.

And then you factor everything else Plekanec brings to the table…

Bit to add Beaulieu = insane

Then to swap for a lesser first round pick which might be the difference between Galchenyuk and Faksa = floridly insane.

I like Bobby Ryan as a player, but people lose all perspective

“Et le but!”

• Hali_Hab says:

” People loose perspective”

Bobby Ryan 332 GP 136G, 123A, 259PTS, 234 PIM.

Plecky 470 GP, 125 G,186 A, 311PTS, 274 PIM.

Now looking at the difference in total games played i would not say that is a “TERRIBLE” deal. Not only is Ryan a better point per game player. He also plays a position the hab’s need, has a massive size advantage over Plecks. You mention ” everything else plecks brings to the table” i assume you are talking about his play away from the puck. This was a need that was filled out well last year by a bigger , younger and much more cap friendly cap hit in Lars Eller.

By swapping picks with the ducks you then get the ability to add a star player that is only 25 and signed for two years/can make an impact right away. while also still having a top 10 pick in a mediocre at best draft class. You may miss out on the center but you then have the ability to replace Beaulieu in drafting a top D man. In case you havent noticed this draft is deep with them espically in the top 10.

I dont think trading Beaulieau would be insiane considering the depth in our D corps, espically if you are trading and landing the ability to replace him at the same time. Trading Tinoridi on the other hand might lean toward the loose sanity department.

Bobby Ryan is a great player and i dont think suggesting a trade scenario where we part with some assets to get him is “loosing prespective.” I think if this trade was pulled off in the end it would put the Habs in a better position then they were before it. The last time i checked that should be the basis for any trade. So i fail to see how your dramatic response is justified.

In fact i think that some people who cheer for the habs have the habbit of over valuing there current players. Which is sad because this is a trait that is also common with leaf fans :(

i.e. how many ” Schenn and Kadri for….. insert superstar name here” scenarios have you heard in the last 2 years?

• Hali_Hab says:

also just to be sure.. i am not saying this trade will happen it was just a “what if” as i am sure the habs will keep the 3rd pick and hopefully AG is still on the board. That being said though it seems that the overall feeling in this draft is that outside Yakapov there is not a lot of players that break away from the pack.. so to speak. So if you were going to be able to pull off a trade it might be the year to do so. If you can do that and still maintain a top 10 pick , i think that would be a steal.

32. RobertAlanFord says:

So the Habs file for salary arbitration with Price. Apparently the reason is it prevents other teams from putting in offer sheets on his contract. Smart move or did a little birdy tell MB that someone was going to try and jack up our cap hit and keep the Habs away from any big trades or signings?

33. Dryden_29 says:

Canadiens file for salary arbitration with Price !

34. Chris says:

For those complaining about yet another Christmas road trip, you might as well complain about death and taxes too… :)

The Christmas road trip tradition started back in the 1987-88 season. Over the 7 seasons from 1987-88 to 1993-94, the Habs always made their annual Western Canadian swing, with road trips ranging from 3 games (1989-90) to 7 games (1993-94). Remember the short tradition of Montreal in Calgary for New Year’s Eve?

Following the 1994 lockout, the Western Canada tradition started to die off. The Habs were still on the road every year between 1995 and 2002 for 5 to 7 games (with the notable exception of 1999, when it was only 2 games), and 5 of the 8 years saw the Habs touring Western Canada.

Since 2003, the Western Canada tradition has completely been replaced due to the unbalanced schedule. But the Habs have still had road trips of 4 – 7 games every year.

So as Cal pointed out below, the Habs have had a significant road trip in the week following Christmas for most of recent memory (22 of the past 23 seasons as it turns out). So don’t hold your breath waiting for that to change. What has changed in recent years is that the road trips are starting a bit earlier (Dec. 19 or 20 in 4 of the past 5 seasons) as opposed to the more traditional Dec. 23 or Dec. 26 start dates of the past two decades.

35. Habitant in Surrey says:

…everyOne, including Myself, understands Our biggest need is size and elite talent at centre …but it’s going to be awful difficult for Me to watch Matthew Dumba being picked-up by another team, especially Da Weeds
    …He is a Filipino/Romanian mix with the Eye Of The Tiger …He will be fun to watch whichever team gets him
    …I am in the Galchenyuk camp regarding Our pick, but I am also all over the place wishing We had multiple choices …I’m a greedy dog :)
    …I will be happy with Dumba, Murray, Grigorenko, Forsberg or the outside chance of Yakupov if Gally is not there
    …if I had a third pick in the first round, definitely Matthew Subban would be it
    …tomorrow should have some surprises :)

_________________________________________________________
    Michel Therrien ???: HIS’ new Official Habs’ Fan Theme Song; Morrissey/The Smiths ‘Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfkvPnjb9hs
    _________________________________________________________
    HIO’s BC Odd Couple: UCe, the supercilious stickler; and HIS, the stubbornly relentless ‘schismatist’ :)
    _________________________________________________________
    What I WANT ! is an aircraft carrier at centre and nuclear destroyers on each wing going to the net like bats out of Hell !, …NO MORE rubber duckies !!!
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• Chris says:

I think our biggest need is somebody who can score goals. I don’t care if he is a giant or a dwarf, a LW, C or RW…we just need a player who can challenge for 50 goals.

Pacioretty is a nice player, but Cole and Gionta are getting up there in years. In 2-3 year’s time, we need whoever we draft this year to be leading this team offensively along with Pacioretty, Plekanec, Eller and Desharnais (or whoever is left from that group).

• commandant says:

I’d rather have a 90 point player than a 50 goal guy.

Assists are just as valuable :P

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• shiram says:

I disagree, assists are great, but can be secondary, we have setup guys, and not enough finish guys…

• christophor says:

Thing is, you need players who can score in order for playmaking to be useful.

And I think this is the point you were missing yesterday in your disagreement with AB, who I agree is a real…. well you know.

• issie74 says:

50 assist….someone scored 50 goals ….

NorthTOHab

• christophor says:

think you’re missing the point: put a nice pass on a non-scorer’s stick, you’re not getting an assist.

the point is to focus on goal scorers. you’re not going to put desharnais and parenteau together and expect them to duplicate their point outputs from last year. why? neither is a goal scorer.

• Chris says:

Normally, I would agree. And when discussing the value of two comparable players, I would say that assists are just as valuable.

But the Habs need a goal-scorer. I think that Eller could actually blossom into a good two-way center than can get you 30-50 assists a season if he is paired off with a winger that can score.

Plekanec has already shown he can be a 70-80 point guy with wingers that can score. So we just need those wingers that can score. :)

• RobertAlanFord says:

Way I see it is there’s a hole on the left wing with Pleks and Gio. Canadiens biggest asset right now is that third overall pick. There’s enough rookies coming up to Hamilton this year, the Habs can afford to skip a first round. My preferences are Perry or Eriksson in Dallas. Forget Nash or Ryan, the price is too high.

36. clubdehockey says:

I have a pretty drastic idea:

Let’s say Yakupov and Galchenyuk are taken #1 and #2… why don’t we take RYAN MURRAY?

Forget about the Grigorenko/Forsberg debate. We have an ELITE pick, why don’t we pick a player who is bound to be ELITE. It’s my understanding that Murray is head and shoulders a better player than these two. Let’s nab him.

• habsfan0 says:

Sam Pollock’s philosophy in drafting was to take the BEST player available, regardless of position. That way, you’re dealing from a position of strength when it came time to trade for a player whom you would need to upgrade a position.

Ole Sam’s way of doing things seemed to have worked out.

• Chris says:

Almost every scouting agency and draft board has Nail Yakupov pegged as the undisputed #1 pick, and many scouts have him labelled as the safest bet to become a superstar of this solid but not spectacular draft.

The scuttlebutt on Ryan Murray is that he may not have the same ceiling as Yakupov or Grigorenko (and some have him only the third or fourth best potential amongst the highly rated defencemen).

Where Murray shines is that many think he is ready to play in the NHL tomorrow, whereas most picks take 1-3 years to get to the NHL. So for teams like Columbus or Edmonton that need immediate help on their blueline, Murray looks like a safe pick.

But I definitely have not heard too much signifying that anybody thinks he is the player with the highest ceiling in this draft. He is a safe pick to be a double, whereas players like Dumba or Grigorenko could strike out or be monster home runs.

• kempie says:

I will humbly repost my thoughts from the previous thread:

So I’ve been kicking this around for a while and there was a time when I would have said that, if the Habs pick a dman 3rd, I’d lose my mind. The glaring need this team has had for a first line centre represents a gaping hole in our lineup that has existed since Damphousse & Smith. Picking 3rd is a glorious opportunity to land one.

Now I’m definitely on the #94 bandwagon. He’s the guy we need. But now it seems that he may or may not be on the board when we pick at #3. If that’s the case and it goes 1. Yakupov 2. Galchenyuk, what now? Last week I would have said Grigorenko without hesitation. Yes, he’s had some struggles and he’s slipped but he’s still a big lad with elite talent.

I know the temptation will be to take Forsberg because the team is weak on the left side. But lately I’ve been thinking what if they took Murray? How bad would that really be? You have to consider that this would perhaps become the best young defence in the league:

Tinordi/Subban
      Beaulieu/Gorges
      Ellis/Murray

Special teams pairings:

Beaulieu/Subban
      Ellis/Murray
      Tinordi/Gorges

Maybe that wouldn’t be such a bad thing. The D would be set for a while and MB could concentrate his efforts on other areas.

• issie74 says:

I love that kid,so cool and calm,I have a feeling he will be great.

Watched him during the IIHF games,no panic.

Nothing wrong with taking Murray.

NorthTOHab

37. shiram says:

#SNdraft. Price will sign minimum 1or 2 yr arb deal if he doesn’t accept #Canadiens long term offer thats believed to be in the 40M range.

Hopefully that’s for at least 7 years if it’s really 40 millions.

38. Habitant in Surrey says:

…WHY ??? do I have this compelling compulsion to tell Y’all I’m really Andrew Berkshire ???

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

I noticed there are a few comments re: this year’s Summit.

Be assured that Ian is working on obtaining an allotment of tickets for the HI/O group.

Please also remember that we are now working with a different Hab management team even though Reggie Houle is still in charge of the alumni aspect of the team. Ticket policies may change for the upcoming season.

As for the date of the Summit, that is something that can’t be decided by the group as a whole. Please don’t email or phone Ian with your thoughts on possible game dates. Weather conditions and the best available seating for the group will be the top priorities. Which basically means no Boston or Crosby. The team Montreal plays is not the prime concern – it’s more about the tradition, fellowship and charity fund raising of the Summit.

The chance of a possible lockout or strike is obviously a consideration but the planning for the Summit must begin now. There is really no other way to organize the event.

Once Ian gets the green light for tickets, the date and details for purchase will be announced. Trust me when I say that Ian puts in a ton of time and effort to organize this event. There’s a lot more to it than you would ever imagine.

• Habsrule1 says:

All that is great, but you forgot to mention the big news:

Habsrule1 is renewing his participation in the Summit after being away for the last 2 years.

Woo-hoo! Ok….you can all relax now. Getting that excited can cause heart trauma.

Go Habs Go!!

40. adamkennelly says:

question – lets assume that PK does not get any better or more productive than he was this past season, which is still possible….are you then willing to trade him and our 3rd for the 1st?

• kbhab4ever says:

NO, Maybe Beaulieu, and Gorges for Edm ‘#1 then something for CLB.
      so Habs Take Glal#1 Then Yak at #3

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Heck, let’s assume the sophomore jinx is over, he’s the next Bobby Orr, that he will score 140 points and be +125 this year. Would Edmonton send us Hall, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins and the #1 for him, Gomez and the #3? ;)

• ont fan says:

Let’s assume you trade PK and he wins the defenseman of the year award. Haven’t you been around here all winter? Bobby Mcdonagh Orr was all we heard. Now really, you don’t want that.

• Chris says:

Ah but the difference there was that we gave up McDonagh for a guy who many thought was clearly already on the downhill slide.

What we didn’t realize was that Gomez was not only going downhill, but that he was actually in free fall.

That being said, I would be shocked out of my tree if it took Subban and our #3 to get their #1. Subban might be worth that #1 on his own…he’s already better than Murray will probably become.

• neumann103 says:

Chris

Yes, I am not sure why this is not so screamingly obvious

“Subban might be worth that #1 on his own…he’s already better than Murray will probably become.”

People get insane when it comes to picks.

“Et le but!”

41. Habitant in Surrey says:

…’a bit’ …no ‘way-off’ the topic
    …CBC’s Louise Arsenault’s inspiring look at Jamaica’s culture in speed and running
    …some of those elite athletic Jamaican genes have obviously been translated into skating and hockey by the Subbans :)
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

42. TorontoHabsFan says:

Question for our capologists out there. At what point does a non-tendered RFA become UFA? July 1st?

I’m very curious to see if Bergevin goes after Radulov. His talent is pretty obvious and Montreal already has lured one KHLer over…If he’s available for $3m-$4m/yr over 2-3y yrs I be willing to take the risk.

• shiram says:

At that price I’m thinking he is KHL bound.

• kbhab4ever says:

I kinda like Radulov BUT I don’t think he fits in with Bergevin and our new “Pitbull” coach.I can’t wait to see what Therieon (Sp?) does with Bourgue .I expect NO foating on Habs next year.B’s to wall I hope.Habs need 2 wingers for 2nd line and a top 4 defenceman. Wouldn’t B.Ryan, Eller, P.A. Parenteau look good on second line. Plek”s and a defenceman for Ryan, There is 2 stong lines with Pac,DD,Cole

• Timo says:

I am more afraid about what Therrien will do with guys like PK, Cole and Price.

• kbhab4ever says:

I think he will be allrigth with the young guys as F. Bouillon and others have good things to say about him and they had him when they were young.
          I think the ones he will have trouble with is with the guys who show up not in top shape or are lazy and who play passive on the ice. Like : Bourque,Palushaj,Leblanc, even ELLER,Even PACIORETTY,and Plekanec the last three are in need of a boot you know where sometimes as they are a little passive some nigths.

• habsfan0 says:

For one thing, I think Therrien will try to teach them French.

• Mr. Biter says:

Preds don’t want him and what from I heard he gone to the KHL.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

43. Hobie Hansen says:

Man I can’t wait for tomorrow night!!!
    Keeping fingers crossed that we get Galchenyuk and that Columbus doesn’t grab him first and takes a defenseman.

44. Newf_Habster says:

Site admin…

Resolve the login problem please. It has been problematic lately.

So why did Grigorenko fall so far in the rankings? Yesterday TSN listed him as #20 I believe. I doubt he will last that long but still… Did he says something to piss someone off?

46. joeybarrie says:

Why does everyone want to trade PK?
    Why is he the only way to trade up for a draft pick?
    And does it make sense to do that?
    PK is a top 2 defenseman.
    Do we know that this 1st overall pick is going to be a 1st line player his whole career?
    Then how do we address the hole we create in our D corps.
    We do have Beaulieu, but he is predicted to be a 2nd to 3rd defenseman. Where do we get a 1st defenseman?
    PK, Gorges, Beaulieu, Tinordi looks pretty good for our future.
    What we need is a top line 30-40 goal scorer with some size.

Good chance of getting that in the draft with Galchenyuk. Even Grigorenko is probably a solid chance at a top line player. No one can write off a kid that age before the draft, and based on only 6 month of attention. But I do not like the Radulov aspect of that choice, where if he doesnt get exactly what he wants, he can bail and play in the KHL.
    Both players had 80+ points this season but arent even in the AHL yet. If Galchenyuk is gone, is Forsberg that much worse?
    Just seems to me to trade away a top defenseman for a top forward makes no sense, if we have a good chance at a top forward anyways….
    Is the difference between Forsberg and Yakupov, worth a Subban?

• awesomerino says:

“Everyone” does not want to trade PK.

Stupid people who don’t understand hockey want to trade PK.

• Newf_Habster says:

Because they are too gullible to follow Pierre McGuire and@hockeyinsiderr who loves to invent alot of crap to get our attention for NOTHING! PM and #hockeyinsiderrs are the ones who invented the crap about trading PK plys pick no. 3 to Oilers for their pick no.1!!!

Okay, I really hate to say this, but this site is now operating about as smoothly as the Leaf Blog Site pensionplanpuppets this is getting very scary.

I know who to blame, all the people suggesting trading PK Subban. You are entitled to your opinions, but when they are wrong, there is Hell to pay, thus the site is FUBARRED

48. Skip Davidson says:

What day does the CBA expire?

49. joshbenn says:

Testing

50. Ozmodiar says:

Canadiens file for salary arbitration with Price.

51. aj says:

@ TaxGuy:

It comes as to no surprise that the best possible scenario that might happen tomorrow is a Galchenyuk draft for the 3rd pick at Round 1 by the Montreal Canadiens. Now, how about we take a look at the next 6 rounds:

Source: Wikipedia
    Round 2 – #33rd pick and #51st pick (from Nashville trade)
    Round 3 – #64th pick
    Round 4 – #94th pick
    Round 5 – #124th pick (traded to NYI)
    Round 6 – #154th pick
    Round 7 – #184th pick (traded to Phoenix)

EDIT: Round 2 would be an excellent opportunity to get a good draft and for Bergevin to see who’s a best pick. He might want to consider a trade as well here if possible since he has 2 picks at this round. Rounds 3, 4, and 6 are the three remaining picks and lets hope to see who’s the lucky guy to get drafted to the Habs (if, this team is lucky enough to get a good player).

• commandant says:

We also own 122 overall from Columbus when we traded the rights to Wiz

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• TaxGuy says:

I’m note sure I have enough knowledge of the players to suggest who the Habs might pick in rounds 2-7. I do think we should have the long term in view, though. Collect picks and build organizational depth. Try to put together a team that is deep and consistently competitive, and every so often go after a player that might put us over the top. The Stanley Cup is the goal, right? Bergevin has done a good job so far in hiring knowledgeable hockey guys to help him run the team. Now he needs to find the right players.

52. aj says:

(type test, I’m having issues with my account. don’t reply to this post)

EDIT: (just checking to see if I can edit my posts).

• Bill says:

It’s not just you buddy. I have to log in four or five time before I can post, and I have apparently logged in as various people. Feels like the Matrix in here.

Full Breezer 4 Life

53. Sean Bonjovi says:

Fewer pre-season games, but that schedule is still a joke. The Xmas road trip (losing streak) exists to allow the owners of this team an opportunity to use the Bell Centre to generate “non-hockey realated revenue”. If Geoff Molson really cared about the fans, or the players, or the team’s place in the standings the Canadiens would play a three game home-stand either right before, or right after xmas.

• commandant says:

The league loves the Xmas roadtrip. How else are those South east division teams supposed to sell out?

You think its coincidence the Habs road trip is always to Florida and Tampa?

You think its coincidence the Leafs always play in those cities during Ontario School’s Spring Break?

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I hear you about the league liking this road trip, but I don’t think they need Molson’s arm to get it on the schedule. It’d be nice if people going home to Montreal for the xmas holidays could see a hockey game, or the players could see their kids, and it’d be tough for a team to come into Montreal and beat the Canadiens in front of crowd that’s even more jacked-up than usual.

*Sean BonJovi’s Draft List = 1. Yakupov 2. Grigorenko 3. Galchenyuk*

• Cal says:

You print this every season. The schedule is the schedule. The Habs have ALWAYS been on the road (in my living memory) at Christmastime to accommodate their fans away from home. Just the same, 41 games are at home and 41 are away. Every team has to deal with not so great scheduling.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

This road trip “tradition” started after George Gillett bought the team.

*Sean BonJovi’s Draft List = 1. Yakupov 2. Grigorenko 3. Galchenyuk*

• Hobie Hansen says:

The Christmas road trip sucks.

54. JF says:

Habs have posted their pre-season schedule. We play only 7 games, which is an improvement over last year, when we crammed about 11 into just over two weeks.

The new schedule maintains the same conferences and divisions, which means Winnipeg is still in the East.

Of course, if the season doesn’t start on time, the whole schedule will have to be re-done. I read somewhere that the NHL and the NHLPA are starting meetings next week (why so late?), so I guess we might have some idea in two or three weeks whether the season is likely to be curtailed.

As things stand, Habs have a tough month of December – 16 games.

• That's-Hockey says:

They can curtail hockey for as long as they want if we don’t have a competitive team. 19 years of watching metioche teams is enough.

55. Sean Bonjovi says:

Here’s a reminder of what Columbus has to work with on defence:

It’s hard for me to believe they’d draft a defenceman at #2 given what they’ve already got and the fact that they’re, presumably about to trade their best forward.

• commandant says:

depends on what they are getting for Nash

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• Sean Bonjovi says:

There are a dozen reasons why that trade needs to happen right away.
        If they do pick another D, I’m Fedor Tyutin’s biggest fan, so maybe we could help them clear a roster spot.

*Sean BonJovi’s Draft List = 1. Yakupov 2. Grigorenko 3. Galchenyuk*

Jack Johnson and the Wiz are not exactly Defensive Defencemen. Murray would be a very good fit on their 2nd pairing.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Nikitin and Tyutin are solid, Methot’s an NHLer, and I hear they really like Moore and Savard. Murray probably would make them better, but they’ll have to move somebody if they pick him. I doubt they like that Wiz contract as much now as they did before they got Jack Johnson, but who knows? They need forwards, but maybe they can get a bunch of forwards for Rick Nash.
            ????(shrugs shoulders)

*Sean BonJovi’s Draft List = 1. Yakupov 2. Grigorenko 3. Galchenyuk*

56. TaxGuy says:

The Habs need a big, physical forward with enough offensive ability to potentially dominate games. The only player in the draft who meets these criteria and who would warrant a #3 pick is Galchenyuk. If he is available at #3, Bergevin should pick him. If not, he should pick Murray, the best player available (assuming Yakupov is already gone). IMO, the only other player in the draft who potentially meets our most pressing need is Faksa (but not at #3). Bergevin should wait to see who picks Faksa and try to arrange a trade for Murray. ie. Murray for Faksa and another asset (2nd round pick or an established, youngish roster player). If a trade for Faksa cannot be arranged, we should keep Murray for now and later try to trade him or another one of our defense prospects in a deal which gives us the forward we need.

57. commandant says:

Mitch Moroz at 70 is our last full profile before the draft.

Don’t worry though, I’ve got something planned for tomorrow too.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

58. Dr.Rex says:

The Winnipeg Free Press did their mock draft and have Yakupov at one, Grigorenko at two and Murray at three to Montreal. They have Galchenyuk at 10. Talk about clueless.

59. shiram says:

Jols101 was asking about back to back games, and I found a neat little piece on travels and back to back games.

enjoy

• jols101 says:

Tx shiram, that is a good read. I guess I missed one cause the Habs actually have 15 back to back. We have a lot of one game road trips compared to other teams at 28, I am not sure if that is a plus or negative…

60. jols101 says:

This site is just nuts the last couple of days…

Just wanted to say that i counted 14 back to back games this upcoming season. Seems excessive to me, is that normal or just bad scheduling?

61. habstrinifan says:

I am going over to Eklund! Least , there, I know who I am!

62. habstrinifan says:

I seem to be standing alone in thinking that our 3rd overall pick for Bobby Ryan (who is signed for 3 more years remember) is not a good move for the Habs. And yet I see posts that will trade Subban for Eberle etc.

Strange.

63. GrimJim says:

So this year’s Summit…
    Nov 10 vs Rangers
    or
    Nov 24 vs Canucks
    Which do you prefer? Either one, no Friday night game.

64. greenfield says:

Big trade tomorrow.

To Edmonton: PK Subban
    Montreal’s first pick (third overall)

To Montreal: Jordan Eberly
    Edmontons first pick (first overall)

Sorry to see PK go, but we have some top notch “D” prospects in the pipe-line and adding dynamic scoring in Eberly and Nial is just too entiicing to resist.

65. habstrinifan says:

I am posting this as Habstrinifan but it says I am logged in as Prime Time….

Looks like Habs KARMA is full in full bloom here.

HABS are opening at home with a
    spanking new GM/staff;
    spanking new coach…well not so spanking new;
    maybe a spanking new first round rookie in the line-up;

The place will be rocking.
    SPANKING

Gomez can’t hear what you’re saying because his ears are blocked with his 2 Stanley Cup rings.

66. jrshabs1 says:

My leaf fan friends won’t be happy. Nothing like starting the season behind the 8 ball..ie in T.O. playing against the October/November Stanley Cup Champions.

Go Habs Go!!

67. JohnBellyful says:

This thing about the system being wonky, maybe it has to do with the length of the post, as I haven’t had any luck with the last one I tried to send, which was more than 75 words long. Guess I’ll try breaking it up into smaller chunks …

NEW YORK – Nine people were sent to hospital today after a brawl erupted among attendees at a conference for advanced hockey stat buffs.

Edit: Hey, it worked.
    Edit edit: Unfortunately, the second part, by way of a reply, didn’t.

• JohnBellyful says:

Witnesses say the dispute involved advocates of two slightly different systems for measuring the true worth of individual hockey players. Fenwick counts the number of shots on goal as well as shots that miss by both teams while a player is on the ice. Corsi does the same but includes blocked shots as well. In both cases, the differential between shots for and against, plus or minus, says a lot about a team’s puck possession while a particular player is on the ice.
      One bemused observer said the two sides got into a heated argument during an analysis of this year’s Stanley Cup playoffs.

• Clay says:

This site is f^@Ked. I’m going to bed.

__________________________
      ☞ The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard Feynman ☜

• JohnBellyful says:

I wonder, are the hockey gods preparing us for tomorrow night?
        Will MB or Timmins go up to the mike to announce the Habs’ first pick and it comes out Martin Frk?

• db says:

I’m not sure if this is a WordPress site, but they’ve just released updates that have messed up a lot of older themes. It’s possible that HIO is due for another facelift.

68. JohnBellyful says:

“One clip showed a terrific end-to-end rush capped off by a brilliant tic-tac-toe passing play that forced the goalie to make a fantastic glove save,” the man said. “I expected to hear a big cheer for a great play all around but one group began shouting the shot was going wide and another group yelled the puck was headed for the top part of the net. I didn’t think it made any difference according to their systems but these guys took it serious. They jawed at each other for 15 minutes and it escalated from there, from texting nasty messages to each other to menacing finger waggles all the way up to vicious slaps.”
    A paramedic said no one in either group was seriously hurt.
    “The Corsi guys suffered a few cuts and bruises plus some bumps while the Fenwick fellows ended up woozy, minus some teeth. I’d say it was pretty even.”
    One blogger at the event said the fracas was actually started by a splinter group, the Putzes, who are pushing to have icings recognized as another tool for measuring one team’s dominance over another.
    “Their argument is, the team responsible for an icing ‘sets the agenda’ and that the time it takes for the puck to travel the length of the ice and then be touched to get a whistle is a form of puck possession in the sense the other team doesn’t have it and therefore can’t score.”
    An even smaller group was barred from the two-day conference altogether. It says assists are over-rated and have less to do with a game’s outcome than defencemen getting penalized for shooting the puck over the glass.

69. jmsheehy19 says:

Ozmodiar, I can’t post on the last thread for whatever reason so I must launch my complaint to you here.

How dare you sully my good name by putting it next to Chara’s. To preserve my honor I challenge you to a duel. First one to finish an 8 pack of Guinness (Pints) shall be victorious.

Have at you Sir!

Also I’m already 3 in.

70. krob1000 says:

Here is a valid question although it is not popular opinion…..is Yakupov actually any better than Murray…..what if the Oilers just draft Murray 1st…no trade, no fireworks, just a positional need and the best availalbe dman…..then CLB has that 2nd pick…do they trade down? is this trading down actually myth with a group so close near the top? would they just apss on Yakupov given their Filitov hstory and take Galchenyuk, reinhart or Forsberg themselves? Galchenyuk being American would be a good sell for the fans. The Habs get Yakupov……this is nto as far fetched as many believe but I guess it all depends on just how close the scouts have these guys…..we think the gap from 1 to 5 is huge because Yakupov has been there for so long…BUT…..it has appeared that gap has closed considerably and that is not to be ignored. Many other s are improving relative to him and he is no onger running away with things…..maybe the draft just goes with Murray going first

• Thomas Le Fan says:

I sort of wonder the same thing myself. If they need defence, why not draft the best defenceman?

• Chris says:

If you’re going to draft a defenceman, trading the pick makes the most sense.

There are a group of very good defenceman of whom Ryan Murray might be the best or the worst, depending on who you talk to:

Ryan Murray, Morgan Rielly, Griffin Reinhart, Matthew Dumba, Olli Maatta, Cody Ceci and Jacob Trouba

On the offensive side, there is one clear #1 (Yakupov) and many projected him to be perhaps the best offensive prospect since John Tavares or Steven Stamkos coming into this season. Why that hype fell off is beyond me, as he continued to produce despite not playing for a strong team while dealing with the disruptions of national team commitments and injuries, but it’s become en vogue to pick apart the top prospects after a while.

Brian Burke would LOVE to make a splash at this draft. What if he offered up Luke Schenn, a second round pick and his #5 overall pick for Edmonton’s #1. I personally think that a combination of Schenn and (one of Dumba, Rielly, Murray or Reinhart) plus a second round pick is much more valuable than Murray alone.

Or maybe you make a deal with Washington, who are probably going to part ways with Semin this summer. Washington sends their #11 overall pick plus Dmitry Orlov or Karl Alzner plus Michal Neuvirth to Edmonton for that #1 overall pick. Edmonton still gets to draft a good defenceman (maybe Maatta, Ceci or Finn), they get a good young goalie plus they get a young defenceman that can play today, as opposed to Murray who everybody THINKS can play today.

Washington clears up some of their goaltending logjam (they don’t have enough net for both Neuvirth and Holtby) and lands a dynamic winger to share the offensive load with Ovechkin and Backstrom and make up for the loss of Semin’s goals. They also have enough depth on the blueline (Carlson, Orlov, Green, Schultz, and Poti) that they could swing that deal and have a second first round pick this year to replace Alzner or Orlov. I’d be a bit surprised if this one went down, but the Capitals have some flexibility.

I think Edmonton at least has to talk to some of the teams out there that have some defensive depth. Prospects represent a chance of becoming good NHL players, but you are better off just grabbing an established NHL player of the same talent level if the opportunity is there and still draft a a somewhat comparable player to who you would have had with the lower pick.

71. ZepFan2 says:

YAY!!! Now I’m Stubbs.

Who should I blacklist first? :evil:

Dave Stubbs

Hockey Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: @Dave_Stubbs
    • Email: dstubbs@montrealgazette.com

Hockey (and other pro sports for that matter) people are the dumbest people in the world. Was it not known when the current CBA expires? Why the F#$% are they still not really talking, or barely talking? Why didn’t the talks start like a year ago? Morons.

73. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

its hard to beleive we havnt opened at home in 13 years!