‘It’s a pretty cool feeling,’ Olympic champ Price says (with video)

Olympic champions Carey Price and P.K. Subban arrived back in Montreal Monday morning about an hour before their teammates hit the ice for practice in Brossard at 11 a.m. Max Pacioretty, who was part of Team USA, joined Price and Subban on a flight from Newark, N.J., on a private jet arranged for by Hamilton Bulldogs owner Michael Andlauer.

Goalie Peter Budaj, who was part of the Slovakian team in Sochi, was in goal for practice with Francis Desrosiers of the QMJHL’s Sherbrooke Phoenix in the other net. The other Canadiens who took part in the Sochi Games – Alexei Emelin, Andrei Markov and Tomas Plekanec – were all on the ice for practice.

Price met with reporters for about 15 minutes after his arrival in Brossard.

“It’s a pretty cool feeling,” the goaltender said about being an Olympic gold medallist. “Obviously, it was a really, really cool life experience and I was really, really honoured and grateful for the opportunity to take part in that.

“It was a complete effort from everybody, no matter what position guys were put in,” he added. “Everybody contributed in some way and I think that was probably the most special feeling. Because everybody out on that ice when our anthem was played had a part in it in some way.”

Brandon Prust, who has an upper-body injury, skated before practice, while Michael Bournival, who is suffering from concussion-like symptoms, didn’t skate. Both are listed as day-to-day.

Defenceman Jarred Tinordi, who was called up from the Hamilton Bulldogs on Sunday, practised Monday and will be in the lineup Wednesday night when Team Canada coach Mike Babcock and the Detroit Red Wings visit the Bell Centre (7:30 p.m., TSN, RDS, TSN Radio 690). Tinordi, a left-hand shot, spent part of practice on the right side with veteran Douglas Murray as his partner.

“It’s always a bit of surprise to get called up; you never really expect it,” Tinordi told reporters after practice. “But I had a stretch of about two or three weeks where I was playing well and feeling good, so it’s good to be recognized for that with a call-up.”

On Thursday, the Habs will be in Pittsburgh to take on Team Canada captain Sidney Crosby and the Penguins (7 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690), before returning home to face the Toronto Maple Leafs Saturday night at the Bell Centre (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

An exhausted Price told reporters in Brossard Monday that he’s not sure when he will return to the Habs’ net, adding Babcock encouraged him to have a few more beers Sunday night following Canada’s gold-medal victory. Price also said he wasn’t in touch with Habs goalie coach Stephane Waite or his Habs teammates during the Games, instead staying in his own bubble.

Price, who said he was looking forward to going home to spend time with his wife and dog while getting some sleep, will get the day off Tuesday when the Habs practise in Brossard at 11 a.m.

Here’s how the lines and defence pairings looked at practice on Monday:

Briere-Plekanec-Gionta
Weise-Desharnais-Gallagher
Galchenyuk-Eller-Bourque
Moen-White-Parros

Markov-Emelin
Tinordi-Gorges
Murray-Bouillon

(Photo by Pierre Obendrauf/The Gazette)

Price will take time to unwind after gold-medal win, by Dave Stubbs

Gold medal takes Price to another level, by Dave Stubbs

Tinordi gets call while Beaulieu stays in Hamilton, by Pat Hickey

Price meets Montreal media (video), Canadiens.com

Price savours his golden moment, by Ed Willes of Postmedia News

Habs fans need to let Subban Sochi snub go, by Mike Boone

A great win for Team Canada, but not a great game, by Jack Todd

Early projection for 2018 Team Canada, Postmedia News

Price answers fans questions (video), Canadiens.com

NHL season resumes Tuesday in Buffalo, NHL.com

NHL players set to refocus on playoff races, montrealgazette.com

Countdown on to March 5 trade deadline, TSN.ca

Leafs fan wonders if Sochi_Goalpost would move to Toronto, Stu on Sports blog

6 mil for 1 more year of Markov is ridiculous. He has shown the signs of running out of gas by Christmas. His production is not that of a 6 mil per year defenseman. He will be ok for at most 5 for one more season, but only if there are no decent offers for him. I bet Habs could net a decent player in return for Markov. Let’s be realistic, Habs are not going past the 1st playoffs round this year either with or without Markov.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Markov is going into his “Gonchar” years: diminishing defense with still good offense. The Habs have never won anything with him anyways so what is the big deal? Move on already…

• habsfan0 says:

I predict Price will do to every team in the playoffs this year what he did to Teams USA & Sweden.

Burp..

• scrotchland says:

agree. Get rid of cheerleader gorges too. and he can take therian with him.

• govenah says:

I like the approach for a one year signing. With three youngsters being merged into the line up I think Markov brings a lot of temporary value. Georges could stay for the same reason but if the right offer came in I would turn him for some youth up front. Especially in the case of Beaulieu, having -the general- around for one more year will be very positive. But for certain Georges and Markov are gone by next years deadline.

The glass is MT.

2. twilighthours says:

The markov situation is a real doozy. I’m glad it’s not me with ink and quill.

• Hobie Hansen says:

The reported one year offer from Bergevin is fine. That’s where I’d draw the line. If that’s not OK with Markov and his agent than is adios amigo!

It’s good to be loyal but not when it huts your team. Some people around here have to learn to let go.

If Markov wants to stay in Montreal so badly he should offer to take 3 years and $5 million the first year, $3 million the second and $2.5 million the third and accept a lesser role each year. I’d even be skeptical about that.

• twilighthours says:

You offer that to Markov and he will decline. He declines and you gotta trade him. You trade him, you say to the rest of the team “hey, we’re throwing in the towel.” I don’t think you can do that.

3. Habcouver says:

Does Backstrom still get a medal?

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

4. Habcouver says:

I am a huge Pricey fan like most of you.
    However I’m one of the 13% that was surprised by his performance. Now I am convinced that he really is that good.

For those who say he was lucky for having a great defense or the puck taking a bounce off a post, I defend that view by asking what elite level goalie has not played for a strong team or has had a bit of puck luck.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

People here do not realize the unbelievable pressure he was under. Plus those saves weren’t against the Florida Panthers either.

• habcertain says:

his solid positioning leads the opposition into trying to be more creative, passing up opportunities, thinking they can’t get the puck by him, but the last 2 shutouts did not require him standing on his head, which you would think games of that magnitude would have.

• habs_54321 says:

like sean burke pointed out at no point in this tournament was canada under siege by the opposition, there were a couple decent scoring chances against in the u.s and sweden games which Price passed with flying colors on. but there was at no point any kind of continuous bombardment which tends to wear a goalie down mentally and physically like the opposition goalies faced (especially that latvian goaler)

• Hobie Hansen says:

Team Canada hit a post moments later against Sweden and a couple more throughout the game if I’m not mistaken?

There are nights when goalies perform heroics and also have a few clang off the post. It’s just the way she goes :-).

The Canadian forwards actually had bad puck luck the entire tournament. There were a few games where it was complete fluke they didn’t capitalize on a handful more chances.

5. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

RE: Markov being a number 2 Dan on the Habs

Just because Markov is the number 2 D-man on the Habs does not make him a number 2 D-man. A number 2 D-man can play with Subban 25 min game regularly and consistently (like JayBo with Pietrangelo). The Habs are not winning the Cup any time soon so it is not worth it to get into a long term +35year contract. His trade value will never be higher than it is now and it will be downhill only afterwards (especially if he does poorly in the playoffs). For the Habs to contend they still need a number 1 center, a number 2 LH D-man for PK, a RH tough Dman for Gorges (Emelin is not it). Markov is neither of those. Time to let the kids play…especially if MT is such a great coach of young players.

• johnnylarue says:

Sooo… tank with the kids for this season and next? That the best you got?

I’d give Markov 2 years. There is no one in the system who can eat his minutes next season, and his value as a mentor to the likes of Beaulieu et al is not to be underestimated.

I’ve said it before: Bergevin has no choice but to sign him–at least short-term–unless he has his eye on a potential substitute who is less green than either of Tinordi, Beaulieu, or Pateryn.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

The have made the playoffs without Markov before and will do it again. If they make the playoffs and lose again in the first round, it does not mean anything. Two years? There is no way Markov is accepting that as some sucker will give hm 3 in the off-season.

6. scrotchland says:

run away MB don’t spend a penny on markoff. he’s 35, best days are behind him., get rid of Rah-Rah Gorges too and bring up tinordi,Bealiueu and Patterin.

7. Phil C says:

Reading CJ’s post about the Senators, it is odd that expansion teams sometimes have trouble attracting fans even in a good market. There are lots of Habs and Leaf fans in Ottawa, yet the Sens have the 5th cheapest tickets in the league and do not sell out. They have had success, they have a pretty good team including one of the most exciting players in the game in Karlsson.

The Arena is in a bad spot which certainly hurts them, but it makes me wonder if it is even possible to put a new franchise so close to existing ones? New Jersey has been one of the most successful franchises in the expansion era, yet I went to a New Jersey bar to watch a game last year and the local bartender was wearing his Ranger jersey. Is it possible for a franchise to convert fans of other teams or is it futile?

What would it take to stop cheering for the Habs and cheer for your local team? Logically, it makes more sense to cheer for your local team as they support your community. It is waaaaay more convenient to attend games or practices in your own town, especially with cheaper tickets. Yet we have a lot of Ottawa Habs fans who post here.

• Cal says:

21 years on the Senators can’t still be considered to be an expansion team anymore. They’ve come closer to the Cup than the Habs have in the last decade and still not enough fans. Ottawa is not a real hockey market. They are more like Florida and Arizona.

• CJ says:

Good post Phil. Cal, I agree with you. It’s simply not a hockey market. I haven’t had to pay for tickets once this year. The last game I went to, the lady who gave me the tickets said she tried to give them away all day with no luck. Row A, section 325. The game against the Blues had an announced crowd of 17,000, but there couldn’t have been more then 12,000 people there, including staff and players.

Third cheapest tickets in the league….

As others have noted, the stadium is in the middle of nowhere and the market is smaller, however, believe it or not, Ottawa has the highest household income in Canada. The study I mentioned earlier suggested that only 56 percent of city respondents watched hockey. Of these 56 percent, a large percentage are Leafs or Canadiens fans.

Until they win a cup, Ottawa will remain the third most popular team in their own city.

8. habstrinifan says:

Just me and maybe irrational conclusion but I believe the following:

P.K.s value would not be diminished by his non-play in the Olympics. On the other hand I think Price’s value have skyrocketed and HABS better be ready to deal with it…. one way or another.

I believe that Price is probably now seen as the most ‘consistently’ ‘best’ goalie in the league.

Other goalies may outshine him in periods but…

9. Habitant in Surrey says:

…on Jack Todd

…I read him, I often enjoy/am entertained by reading him,whether I agree with him, or not

…I was only taken by the almost complete rejection of his ‘great win, but not great game’ article this morning

…in My opinion, it was a great game …it was a game that was not the type where victory was in much doubt, but Canada’s victory was accomplished in a way You should be left in awe of how dominant and possessed the game was played

• johnnylarue says:

I agree.

I think the issue with the article is that Todd is, in a cloying and obvious manner, trying to drum up controversy on a topic that couldn’t be less controversial. It’s just lazy, stupid journalism from a guy who is admittedly capable of much better.

• habcertain says:

com’on it wasn’t a pull you out of the chair game, like the YVR game, nice to see Canada win the game, but it lacked a certain level intensity, even the post game celebration looked quite calm. these no hitting games tend to drift in that direction.

• Habcouver says:

I read articles for content value regardless of the source. Mr. Todd’s article title and content neither entertained me, nor stirred any value to the insight of the Win. Sorry (but not really), Jack. Perhaps Jack needs to realize or concede that our boys played a great game, period, no if ands or buts… in the same light as Mike Boone’s suggestion to those fans to letting go of the PK snub.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…has been snowing in Surrey for 2 days straight

…feel like I’m back in Montreal

……which is good :)

• Habcouver says:

I visited Montreal last month, the wind chill felt like it claimed my ears at times but the snow gives a nice feeling of tranquility. Too bad my first Habs game at the Bell was a 5-0 shellacking at the hands of Ovy and the Caps but I can understand your love for the city (and of course, our team).

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
          Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…do NOT miss, in any way, the – 50 degrees F

…sitting in restaurant yesterday with My Daughter looking at the beautiful white snow flakes gently falling …and, wouldn’t You know here in LaLa Land We also watch a guy riding his unicycle, while another unfazed walked along the sidewalk in his summer bermudas :)

10. Prop Is Canadian says:

Tony Marinaro ‏@TonyMarinaro 36m
    #HABS GM Marc Bergevin has offered Andrei Markov a 1 year deal at just over $6M. Markov wants 3 year deal. Bergevin wants 2go 1yr at a time.

Seeing that it’s from Marinaro, it can be taken with a grain of salt, I’d rather see it coming from MB’s mouth.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• scarboro_habitant says:

too much money and his value will be even lower next year when this time rolls around. interesting how tinordi gets called up and then this comes out…

• Habfan17 says:

My advice to MB, be afraid and walk away! I hope he sticks to his guns, one year, or trade away!

• Cal says:

Yeah, let’s throw away the team’s #2 Dman who is playing #1 minutes for unproven Tinordi and Beaulieu. That’ll solve everything. Not.

• Habfan17 says:

Better than being on the hook for $12 million since he is over 35, so even if he retires or sucks, it counts against the cap. They played without him for 2 seasons and did okay, they will get over him.

• scarboro_habitant says:

at this stage of his career, markov is good and close to being average. hes been a good hab and it would suck to see him go but for the long term interest of the team, its best to trade him.

• johnnylarue says:

@Habfan17: Does finishing in last place in the Eastern Conference qualify as “doing okay” in your book?

• habstrinifan says:

Marinaro is loud and opionated BUT he is very accurate.

• Saintpatrick33 says:

His play seems to deteriorate at a consistent level every year. By the end of a 3 year deal he’ll be another contract they’ll be desperate to get rid of. While it would be nice to have him retire a life long Hab we could get important pieces that we need going forward if they trade him. Now is the time to do it while his value is high.

• Phil C says:

The only way this makes sense to me is if this offer represents MB’s opening bid and he is hoping they settle on 2 year/$12M. I can’t imagine Markov settling for one year deals, he would be leaving a lot of money on the table. Nick Lidstrom signed two year deals at Markov’s age, so it is possible he accepts it to stay in Montreal.

• Habilis says:

I agree with you. I don’t think MB has a huge problem with 2 years. This is posturing.

And honestly, is there anyone on the roster right now who can take Markov’s place? Beaulieu looks to be getting there, but the fact that he went down to Hamilton and apparently played mediocre hockey leads me to believe that he’s not there yet.

Someone has to step into that 1-A role in order for the team to start looking at life without Markov. Right now, there’s nobody who can do that.

• habstrinifan says:

I am not debating any other part of your post but the following,

” And honestly, is there anyone on the roster right now who can take Markov’s place?”

I would absolutely discount this as a consideration simply beause even with Markov at his very very best it is still a case of the HABS not being in a position to fully benefit from that right now.

I don’t know if I am expressing myself well here. It is not against Markov.

Edit: Thanks Habilis..you did get the point I was trying to make without denigrating Markov.

• Habilis says:

I think I get you. Basically, you’re saying we’re not a contender with or without him right now so it makes no sense to view him as an important piece.

I understand that and if we had a different goalie, I might agree. But with Price playing the way he has been and the East being as wide open as it is this season, I really do think we have a shot to make some noise come playoff time. And if we don’t re-sign Markov now, we almost have to trade him at the deadline. He simply can’t be allowed to walk for nothing, he still holds far too much value for that.

To me, it’s a case of managing your assets properly. Markov is a valuable hockey asset to this club, one way or another. He would still be very trade-able in the off-season or at next year’s deadline with a 2 year deal, if it came to that.

• matrags says:

We Need Markov to pair with Subban and to provide the experience behind which our young d prospects can hoan their trade. He has great value that should not be underestimated in this regard.

• DoopsyDiddler says:

If true it’s an insult to Marky.

He has played every game this season and leads the team in time on ice. 31 points in 59 games. Used in all situations.

At His age and skill level he wants (and deserves) a 3 yr contract. Mark Streit got 4 years at $5.25M.

• habstrinifan says:

I agree he should get a 3 yr contract at good money. Which is why I think MB should do a trade which would help the HABS and reward Markov too. It’s doe in NBA all the time.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

That makes sense. MB doesn’t want to get stuck a la Briere (even though Markov now is a much better player). MB, as most GMs, is trying to assess the probability of Markov playing at his present level over the next three years. Not easy to do. At least he is trying to cut a deal now so he can deal him at the deadline if not signed. No more Gainey letting guys go for nothing.

11. CJ says:

Sorry, just getting caught up. Any truth to the rumour that Bergevin has offered Markov a one year deal for $6 million dollars? Markov has apparently countered with a three-year deal, but Bergevin only wants to go one year at a time. I see Tony Marinaro has posted this on his twitter feed (not a great source, sorry).

I personally like a one year deal much more then a 2-3 deal, but am curious to see what comes of it.

• Prop Is Canadian says:

Lol we pretty much posted at the same time.

____________________
      DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• Habfan17 says:

I like the one year thing too, since he is over 35 and even if he were to retire, his full salary would count against the cap. If Markov really wants to stay, he will take it, it is fair considering he missed two years.

Having said that, I am fine moving him at the deadline if a team makes a decent trade offer.

• CJ says:

I agree 17. We are on the same page. Cheers, CJ

• Habfan17 says:

Cheers CJ. I like that Markov is not a Bergevin Pick. It makes it easier to trade or walk away. The age of keeping players their whole career seem to be over. If it is true Markov wants 3 years at $6 million per, he is over valuing himself.
          Maybe we will run into each other at an Ottawa Chamber function.
          Top of the evening, 17

• habcertain says:

18m for 3 years would be hard to swallow at this stage, I guess no hometown discount from Markov, as many were speculating. I would also hazard a guess that the opposite maybe true for PK. If he can’t get the long term 7-8m/ per, his agent may try to get him to UFA then salute.

• Saintpatrick33 says:

I could see this organization screwing the Subban situation up big time. They’ve jerked him around low balling him twice now I wouldn’t blame him if he wanted to split after he became a UFA. It’s obvious this organization doesn’t appreciate him (if they did MB would man up and tell MT to play him in key situations) and it would be a huge mistake. Players like Subban don’t come along every day this BS of not paying him what he deserves will come back to bite them on the ass.

• Ron says:

I don’t blame MB for wanting the one year contract. If the dollar value is correct then it does look what a one year would go for IMO. If he is sticking to the 3 year as Marinaro states then time to get some assets before Mar 5.

12. Danno says:

I like Plecky and JT’s bad-ass hats with the big CH on them.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

13. habs_54321 says:

did not know keaton ellerby is carey price’s cousin

14. Danno says:

Cool stuff!

As cool as the Anahim Lake Cucumber!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

15. CJ says:

Good afternoon friends.

I had the unique pleasure of attending an Ottawa Business Chamber luncheon this afternoon, where Cyril Leader, president of the Ottawa Senators was the key note speaker.

Among the many topics of discussion was the fact that Ottawa is working very hard to secure an outdoor game in Jan. 2017 to align to the country’s 150th anniversary, the 100th anniversay of the NHL and the 25th anniversary of the Senators. Of course, and you likely guessed it, the opponent of choice….. your Montreal Canadiens.

Something that really popped out during a non commissioned report, that has just been made public this afternoon, regards the amount of money that the Ottawa area captures, the direct result of the Senators. It was conservatively estimated to be over $100 million annually. For example, if a family is travelling from Boston to see a game, this would not have included the cost of travel, nor would it have included the cost of the tickets as it is assumed that they would have been sold within the market anyway. This number solely represents any new money coming into and staying within the community. The study went on to say that the average family visiting Ottawa for the purpose of seeing a hockey game spends $530 dollars and stays 1.7 days.

I am sure that if a similar study was prepared for Montreal, it would not be a stretch to suggest that the number could be 2 or 3 times larger. Such is the market capitalization of today’s professional sports team, especially those that are singular within their community.

Leader commented on the number of initiatives that are underway to attract fans to the arena, including mobile Apps, improved concesions and a focus on local food and beverage choices. The 417 construction will be completed this year, which will have widened the road to four lanes past Moodie Dr.

In any event, this is a Canadiens forum, so enough about the enemy. I simply wanted to share a glimpse of the behind the scenes of a small market team.

Cheers, CJ

• habcertain says:

what venue would they use to host the game? can’t be anything too big. thought that was the same issue for Montreal, with Molson stadium the only thing close which would hold 20k plus.

• CJ says:

The new Lansdowne park where the CFL Red Blacks will begin play in July. I understand that it could be expanded, on a temporary basis, to hold 50,000.

• B says:

The revamped stadium at Landsdowne park will be ready for the new Ottawa CFL team this summer. When Ottawa hosted the Grey Cup back in 2004 they added temporary seating and had over 50,000 in attendance. That said I would rather someone like the Leafs play the Sens in an outdoor cash grab gimmick.

–Go Habs Go!–

• CJ says:

I agree B. The Sens would naturally want either Montreal or Toronto as they could not sell out the game on their own. They still haven’t sold out the game against the Canucks this Sunday. Ottawa is not a huge draw.

Stating the obvious though aren’t I…

• DoopsyDiddler says:

I’m not surprised to see the Senators’ president repeat the oft-debunked lie that sorts franchises are good for the local economy.

The “conservative estimate” of $100M income generation for the Ottawa region is laughable. Sports franchises generate income for the owners, period, and are a financial drain on the host cities.

Here is one authoritative report on this issue:

• CJ says:

You are leveraging an article that is 17 years old and is specific to state or municipally funded stadiums, of which, neither was the case in Ottawa. Things are vastly different between our two great countries.

With all due respect, I don’t know how you can suggest that the notion of Ottawa bringing money into the city does not exist? There is undeniably an economic spinoff. This is a city with one profressional sports team. The study was based on hard data and is available, online, if you wish to peruse it further.

The tax base, the infastructure cost, the player salaries. The aticle you linked stated there is no benefit as the players do not spend money in the city. I can tell you, unequivically, that this is not true. I can point out houses where the players live if you wish. Those houses are also taxed….

Honestly, I am not sure why I am even going down this road. In closing, with all due respect, you are simply not correct.

• CJ says:

Sorry, failed to clarify, the study was not commissioned, nor completed by the Ottawa Senators. It was overseen by a professor from Ohio University who is cited as a world leader in sports economics. His team captured data over two years, with exclusive access to the Ottawa Senators Sports and Entertainment finances. This includes the Bell Sensplex, CTC, Capital Tickets and other subsidiaries.

Again, this information happened to be presented during the chamber event during which Cyril Leader was the key-note speaker, but it is entirely independent of the Senators franchise.

• Phil C says:

Your link is not working. Care to give a Cole’s notes version of the article, or even a Twitter version?

I don’t think there is a lot of public money in the Senators. The original owners got a $6M dollar grant from the Feds, the rest of the $188M was financed privately and they ultimately went bankrupt. That’s when Melnyk bought them. I don’t think he has made an operating profit yet, maybe this year with the new CBA.

16. scarboro_habitant says:

with the recent call up of tinordi and the log jam of d men on this team, sounds like there could be a trade very soon. drewiskie is close to returning too i think. wouldnt shock me if gorges is on the block or gets dealt.

17. habitunts1 says:

What money bag of a team is going to sign Callahan away from the Rangers?

#10

• Paz says:

I like Callahan a lot. He has scored around 20 goals a season for 5 consecutive years, he plays real hard with and without the puck, he is obviously a leader, what’s not to like?

Sometimes a GM just needs to grow a pair and believe in a player.

I believe in Ryan Callahan. I would take him on my team tomorrow!

• CJ says:

As would I. To your question, what’s not to like….. injuries. A big red flag goes up when I think about guys like Clarkson, Callahan, Clowe…..

I would love to have Callahan on the team, but it is the term that becomes the issue. I posted an article last week that said Montreal offered Clowe a 2-3 deal, which was a take it or leave it offer. I think it was the right move. Somebody will offer Callahan 7 years, but it shouldn’t be us.

I absolutely believe in Callahan the player, but given his history, size and style of play, can he stay healthy for seven years, especially if he has already (reportedly) turned down $6.5 million per year?

• Habfan17 says:

Not to mention, if the Habs did trade for and sign him for $6.5 million/year at 20 goals, what does that say to Patches? How would that impact PK?

• CJ says:

Good points. Further, given the tax situations, if he turned down (per the NY post) $6.5 million, he would likely need $7.5 million from Montreal.

Again, I really like the player. He is a beast (well, actually he is on the small side, but plays bigger), who has put up points going back to junior. However, if he loses the edge, will he be the same kind of player? I’m thinking Mike Peca as a comparible.

Just not easy to take the bite out of your game.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Would you pay him $6 million a year for 7 or 8 years? That’s what his agent is asking for. I like him too but…

18. scrotchland says:

well now that olympic hockey is over back to our beloved crappy Habs. MB do Cary a favor and trade him now while his stock is high., because first chance they have Price and PK will be outta here.
    Who wants to play for that idiot Therien? Fire him now while you have a chance., That loser will never coach an nhl team again.
    And let him take that rah rah cheerleader Gorges with him.

19. Plekasuares says:

I hate defensive hockey. I wish games were still like 10-8

20. Habitant in Surrey says:

…some readers comments on Jack Todd’s: ‘A Great Win, But Not A Great Game’ article today in The Gazette

Scot Milroy: “After I read this article I went straight to Petsmart and bought a few parrots. When I got home I printed out this article 50 times so I could line the bottom of the bird cage with it.”

Nathan Ransom: “What an asinine article. This is so narrow minded and hardly deserving of being called press…unless it was satirical…”

Gary Hollister: “Jack being Jack. Desperately trying to be controversial and waiting by his phone for TSN to call. He is the Glen Healy (“Eyore”) of freelance sports writing.”

Jolly Khanna: “I’ve said it before and will say it again. Jack Todd is an idiot. Love reading this article just to reinforce the fact.”

Michael Reilley: “Mr.Todd ? …who cares?”

…Note Bene: …these were the more polite comments that got past the mods :)

• habcertain says:

I agree with him, it wasn’t the most exciting game to watch, what is so controversial about that comment.

• DoopsyDiddler says:

I enjoy bashing Todd as much as anyone, but there’s nothing wrong with that article.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Jack Todd’s whining about the original omission of St. Louis was wrong from the beginning. Sure it would have been a nice gesture but that’s about it. As we saw, he really added nothing to the team.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

You like many posters on here you cherry pick the things to support your own beliefs. Jack Todd says many more good things than he does stupid things. If the posters don’t wise upon here and mature some over what many are now there won’t be a site left to post. This site has become a playground for school kid mentalities. Grow the hell up and post something credible or none at all.

21. flowerpower_74 says:

Did anyone else notice that Babcock encouraged Price to have a few extra beers when the next opponent was Detroit?

Montreal Canadiens-2013 and forever Northeast Division Champs

22. BriPro says:

Only in this wonderful country of ours are the laws changed so that it becomes legal to serve alcohol at 6am in pubs and bars.
    It’s a win-win situation.
    Lose, and you drink to drown your sorrows.
    Win, and you get drunk to celebrate victory.

So, the number of dialyses cases are on the rise in Canada. Big whoop. Wake up and smell the hops!

23. jols says:

I, like many fans, always get excited right before trade deadline day. However, nothing much ever transpires in Hab-land and it will probably be much of the same this year. Regardless, it’s always fun to speculate and hope…

• Habfan17 says:

Yes it is!

• Ron says:

It does keep us looking :D

• shiram says:

Not good enough to buy, not bad enough to sell.

• Habfan17 says:

I think it all come down to who is made available. Bergevin has said, he is looking to the future. So, if players like Stewart are available, then he may see what it would take since Stewart is young and could be a long term piece for the future.

My guess, is too many teams will be looking to hit out of the park, homeruns. That would mean that Bergevin would wait until the off season. On the sell side, if teams would offer something of value for any of the UFA’s, then maybe we will see some trades.

I know a lot of fans want to keep Markov, but if the Kings would trade Tanner Pearson for him, I would be happy. If Bergevin could get decent picks or prospects for Gionta, Moen, or Murray, I would like that too.

I have no problem keeping Tinordi and Beaulieu up for the remainder of the season. Add in Drewiskie and they would gain valuable experience that would make them all the better next season.

• shiram says:

If you get Stewart, only this season, and the next are on his contract, he is UFA afterwards.
          So no guarantees he re-signs with the Habs after that.

I think some players could get moved, but no players on big contract, this year with the cap crunch just makes it all that much harder to trade.

24. Luke says:

I’d forgotten that PK’s 39 points leads the Habs in scoring.
    Max’s 37 are second.
    Awful.

• johnnylarue says:

If it’s any consolation, Team Canada was also scoring less than 3 goals per game… albeit in a decidedly more authoritative manner.

• jols says:

It really is putrid. Not that PK has 39 points, that is awesome, but the fact that we don’t have a forward in the top 80.

• the twilight hours of a Canadian winter says:

More generally, hockey this year kinda sucks to watch. Too much play along the boards, not enough breaking up the ice, scoring, excitement. Hockey is becoming boring, I find.

25. Habfan17 says:

I am really torn! In some ways, I would like Bergevin to speed up the re-tooling process. Not the “try” to win this season and bring in a Jagr and hold on to the upcoming UFA’s.

I would like to see the UFA;s moved for more prospects and/or picks, perhaps a couple of young players like Stewart and Evander Kane.

It will take a bit of time for Beaulieu, Tinordi, Pateryn, and Dietz to be ready. However, if Bergevin could trade Collberg ad a 2nd round for Stewart, then move DD, Gorges, and either Ellis or Andrighetto for Kane. I know some will bash me and say not enough, but both these players have had character ” issues” so there is some risk.

Going forward, this would make the Habs bigger, still fast and add more sandpaper to the top 2 lines. It would be nice to add a second pairing right handed, mean defenceman too, but That would take more than the Habs have to offer, I think.

I would love to see
    Patches, Galchenyuk, Gallagher
    Kane, Pleks, Stewart
    Bournival, Eller, Prust
    Moen, White Weise

26. BJ says:

Why are the reply options so short? Can the mods give it a bit of an extension?

27. Paz says:

Hobie,

Boston plays terrific Team Defence, and so does Pittsburgh this year.

There is no one in hockey who considers any of the Bruins dmen other than Chara to be an All Star, no one.

Boychuk and Seidenberg make about 3 million each.

Krug, Mcquiad, Hamilton all make under 2 million.

And none of those 5 are elite. Not even close to elite.

There is a great emphasis on team defence in Boston and all the forwards have bought into the program.

This is why Boston is so successful. Not because their defence is elite.

I guess I will agree to disagree with you on this.

• Luke says:

Hamilton is in year 2. He’s looking like he may become elite.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Boston does play good team defense, absolutely. And sure, the term elite might not apply to each individual on their defence after Chara.

What I’m saying, and I think most would agree, is guys like Sidenberg, Boychuk and even McQuaid have size and tremendous defensive awareness.

They stifle opposing forwards with physical play, getting sticks in shooting lanes and simply just making the Boston end a very difficult place to play with very limited space.

Markov, Gorges, Bouillon do none of that! Subban is great but he’s also only 6′ tall. Emelin has some size but has been real shaky.

The Habs need some big, physical, strong, defensive defencemen to limit opposing players timing and space. The ability to get the puck on their stick and up the ice quickly would be a huge asset along with that.

That’s what I’m talking about.

It was a horror show last year in the playoffs! Did you not see this? It has slightly improved but has a way to go.

IMO.

28. joeybarrie says:

I think its funny the NHL has some dummies pushing to not attend the next Olympics because potentially a player can get hurt.
    In an Olympics year we will still play 41 games at home.
    So that will pretty much take Canada and the USA out of contention.
    Its genius to give other countries like Russia a chance to increase their hockey awareness at the expense of the North American game. And they think its preservation??????
    Its going to help the KHL and European league and hurt the NHL.

Do you think players like Alex Ovechkin will hesitate for a second to not go to the Olympics? and what will be the repercussion? A small fine, a slap on the wrist and we will welcome him back with open arms. WE HAVE DONE IT BEFORE….
    Pure stupidity.
    And what do you think the repercussions of hurting the US Olympic Development Programs and the like will be with their support of the NHL…?

The Olympics is a huge win for the NHL. You can play along and help out or go against the whole thing at your own detriment.

And honestly……. in all seriousness dummies….. What do you think your NHL ratings will be like when competing to two weeks of the Olympics????
    How many outdoor classics do they schedule on Superbowl weekend??????

• Cal says:

Compared to watching cross-country skiing? I think I’d rather watch an NHL game, thanks. And the same goes for most of these sports we ignore for four years at a time and suddenly watch.
      The NHL in Korea does nothing to help awareness, as most games are played at crazy hours when most in Canada are asleep. The only good thing about Sochi was how they tweaked the schedule so most North Americans could at least see a couple games. It won’t be that way in Korea.
      By 2018, HNIC will be history and Sportsnet will control the NHL we see in Canada. Getting HNIC and Don Cherry off the air will be a good thing.

• mksness says:

NHL wants money from the IOC. it’s very simple. their product is making money for the olympics. NHL rating were just fine when the players didn’t go. bell center will always be packed and the winter olympics isn’t a huge draw in the USA either.

The rating thing is kinda true if the games are in north america. if it’s on the other side of the world… meh

• habcertain says:

when the Olympics are played outside of the NA time zones, I don’t think the impact on audiences is significant, even from the players perspective the gold medal victory celebration appeared muted. If you ask the Islanders how they feel today, it probably wouldn’t be too great, as they have lost their start. that said, I’m sure the NHL likes to get the big names out there, but it would not surprise me to hear that the NHLPA are starting to lose interest.

29. GL says:

After watching the Olympics. I don’t even wanna watch this NHL
    s – – t anymore. Head shots, Fights, Concussions where’s the skill. Very little because they’re not allowed to play that way.

Feel sorry for Carey having to come back and play on a mediocre Hockey team again …

30. krob1000 says:

I wonder what the deadline cost is for Jagr this year?

31. Luke says:

Burly, (and others, but it harkens back to conversation from the holidays):

I bought a couple of the Beau’s All Natural Saturday night. I was going to open them (or one) during the Gold Medal game, but decided against it.

I’ll have a taste on Wednesday during the Habs game and let you know.

I grabbed the Hogan’s Goat (Spice Bock) and the Tom Green (Milk Stout).

I also bought an Argentinian Malbec (2011 Salentein) on a lark, but that’ll wait for a good ol’ fashioned BBQ.

32. Paz says:

The move to make involves adding offence to the Pekanec line.

We need to put a real scorer next to Plekanec and Gionta, due to his bicep injuries, is no longer the sniper he once was.

If we do that, we can compete in the East this year, and the East is wide open.

• jols says:

What I would do is move Galchenyuk up to Ples’ left wing and replace Gio at the trade deadline. Galchenyuk on Eller’s line will just result in him getting 11-13 minutes a night and no PP time. Such a waste. It’s time to start playing him 16-19 minutes a night. So- Patches-DD-Gallagher and Galchenyuk-Pleks-??? would be my top two lines. ??? suggestions- Chris Stewart or David Perron.

• BJ says:

Stewart yes but what does he cost?

• Habfan17 says:

DD and LeBlanc

• BJ says:

I’m afraid Leblanc is not in demand.

• Habfan17 says:

@ BJ I would agree, but you never know. With the rebound DD has had, adding LeBlanc may make it happen.

• jols says:

St.Louis is strong up the middle. DD isn’t what they would be looking for.

• Habfan17 says:

@ jols. Maybe they would take Collberg or Andrighetto. They don’t really need anything right now. I suppose they may like having Gionta and Collberg. Gives them some depth and experience for the play off run and the salaries offset

• jols says:

@Habfan17, maybe they would do that. The good thing about Stewart, besides his physical play and ability to score some goals, is he is only 25 years old and is under contract for another year after this one.

• jols says:

That’s the problem. St.Louis has great dmen so they really don’t want any of ours. Rumors are that Stewart is available though. 2nd round pick and a good prospect? I’m not sure.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I agree, Stewart is one of the guys the Habs should be making a huge pitch for. Not sure if it could happen before the trade deadline but if not this summer for sure!

Perron, although not big and rugged, would be an improvement over Gionta.

• B says:

Galchenyuk has been getting a decent amount of PP time, even when playing on Eller’s line. He currently has the 4th most PP TOI/G among Hab’s forwards. I don’t see him getting any less going forward.

–Go Habs Go!–

• jols says:

Those #’s all come from the beginning of the season. In the last 10 games prior to his injury he wasn’t getting a sniff.

• B says:

He went pointless in 8 of those 10 games and got 2nd wave PP time (averaging over 2 min/game on the PP) until the last 6 games where he still averaged about a minute a game on the PP except for one game when he saw no PP time (in a game where the Habs had less than 3 mins of PP). I believe they want him to be on the PP and that he will only get better at it as time goes on.

I see no problem with Eller and Galchenyuk playing together at even strength while Galchenyuk gets extra time on the PP and Eller gets extra time on the PK (I think Eller is better suited to the PK than the PP).

–Go Habs Go!–

• Habfan17 says:

I agree more scoring is needed on the 2nd line. Galchenyuk will be back and push come to shove, he could play left wing for the short term. For all the reasons you mention, I think it is Gionta that needs to go.

33. Sportfan says:

I think Parros and Prust have a bromance going on :P check out some of the photos.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

34. @Say Ash

Starting today on social media I am gonna promote huge ovation from Montreal fans Wednesday. Need to be the classiest fans on the planet, SO LETS GO MONTREAL, CHEER ON OUR OLYMPIANS WEDNESDAY!

And with that Knuckles just retweeted to his 21 thousand fans my wish!

@HunterZThompson @KnucklesNilan30 @StuCowan1 @tsn690mornings @TSN690RadioMtl @RickMoffat please promote Montreal Fans supporting Babcock Wed

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Congrats Carey Price and PK Subban, Montreal’s Gold Medal Members!

35. Sportfan says:

In regards to the NHL going or not going to Korea, I see the European players going and telling the NHL to suck a lemon

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

I am sure if they are under contract in the NHL that will go ever really well….. They are part of the NHLPA.

While we heard some saber rattling a couple years ago from Ovechkin and others, that was completely different. Hockey is a big part of the Russian sports fabric, there is tremendous historical value in Russian hockey. Those players had a vested interest which was understandable as to why they were insistent on being there.

There is no such scenario with South Korea. Either the NHLPA, NHL, IOC and IIHF come up with an agreement or they will not be there. Players are not going to jeopardize multi million dollar contracts if there is no agreement.

• sane hockey fan says:

Yes because hockey is embedded into Japanese and Italian sports fabric? Common…the NHL will be there because it’s:

a) what the fans want
        b) what the players want
        c) is a huge draw for the NHL (see NBC ratings for this Olympics)

We go through this same process every 4 years and every 4 years everyone says the NHL wont go to the next Olympics. And 4 years later, the NHL is back at the Olympics.

I am not saying definitively that the NHL will not go, what I am saying is that if indeed there is no agreement in place for the NHL players to go, that signed NHL players will not break rank and attend the games as players.

36. Hobie Hansen says:

@Paz

I agree the team needs to score more goals, another legit scoring forward (with size) is needed.

I also think that when push comes to shove the defence isn’t up to the task. Take last year’s playoffs for example.

In a seven game series, not a regular season game in January, a team with a handful of power forwards will role right over the Habs defence.

Things have improved slightly with the departure of Daiz but guys like Gorges and Markov will get steamrolled against a big and talented group of forwards that kick it up another level in the playoffs.

Like team Canada I’d like to completely solidify the defence. Defence wins championships. Especially with a guy like Price in net.

As another poster stated earlier, Subban, Markov, Gorges and Emelin are not an elite top four. That must be improved if we are to take the next step. Hopefully Beaulieu and Tinordi will eventually get us there but another move will probably have to be made.

• Paz says:

Do you think Boston has an elite top 4?

Do you think Pittsburgh has an elite top 4?

Who in the East has an elite top 4?

• Hobie Hansen says:

What Boston has is Chara, Sidenberg, Boychuck, Hamilton and McQuaid. They are so big and strong defensively that they are a force to play against. One of the best groups of defencemen in the league.

And Pittsburgh has two of the greatest offensive weapons on the planet and can afford to be weak on defence. So unless Montreal acquires two guys like Crosby and Malkin…

Any other questions?

• Paz says:

Seidenberg, Boychuk, Hamiton, Mcquaid?

Seriously?

That’s what you call Elite?

Boston plays defence as a 5 man unit. Their forwards are tremendous defensive support players. And they have an elite goalie.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Didn’t Boston make it to the Finals and win the Stanley Cup recently? Don’t they allow the fewest goals in the Eastern conference as well most years? Oh Ok, ya it’s their forwards, right.

And ya, as a group I call them an elite group of shutdown defenceman. I think any normal person would?

• BJ says:

Not elite but certainly a strong group.

• Paz says:

We have Price and Subban and that combination of

Top goaltending + Top #1 dman, is extremely competitive in the East.

Take the next 3 dmen on Boston, Boychuk, Seidenberg, Krug or Hamilton, how “elite” are those guys once you get past Chara.

Pittsburgh doesn’t have our elite goalie and Letang is out. So they have Martin, Orpik, these guys are not Elite. Not even close to Elite.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Price and Subban are not enough my friend. Rask is pretty close to Price in Boston.

And like I said, Malkin and Crosby make up for any defensive issue the Pens might have.

• krob1000 says:

Scariest thing about Pittsburgh is Crosby also play very solid defensie games when they need to. Pitts GAA is top 5 in the league. Wne the PEns are down they cheat but when they are protecting a lead Malkin and Crosby are boht willing to play smart…this is the diff with Ovechkin and his Caps when they had their strong teams.

If you’re Steve Yzerman, do you trade Kristers Gudlevskis ASAP? Very young goalie, but given they have Ben Bishop is Gudlevskis potentially at his highest trade value right now?

• bwoar says:

Nah, I keep him in case I need some goaltending at some point in the future. Also, my iron rule for the playoffs is always have two goalies who can play. Given the market for goaltenders is never that hot, I’m not sure what kind of return Yzerman would get.

• I do, Olympics make people famous (Halak was amazing in 2010 Olympics and post season), and it’s Stevie’s job to decided when to get the most out of his troops when they are hot. He has two great goalies, set for 6-8 years, build support staff with Gudlevskis.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Congrats Carey Price and PK Subban, Montreal’s Gold Medal Members!

38. Vito says:

A bit off topic, but I have a pair of tickets for the Islanders game on April 10th and I can’t make it anymore… anyone interested?? Price for both would be CAD 410 (face value). Section 116 Prestige, row FF.

Canada IS hockey!
    -Mike Weir

39. Say Ash says:

Odds on Babcock being booed when he’s congratulated for coaching Team Canada to gold?

40. Luke says:

In an effort to recapture some of the momentum lost due to Olympic disruption, the NHL returns witha bang tomorrow!

It’s an action packed schedule featuring some of the best teams and players in the game today!

Tuesday, February 25, 2014
    Teams
    Carolina at Buffalo 7:00 PM | Tickets

Thanks NHL!

41. smiley says:

This “Whyno” guy does not have PK on the 2018 roster but his brother Malcolm is the 3rd string goalie.

Morgan Rielly in the top 6 on defence, surprised this writer doesn’t have Kadri pencilled in as the 2nd line center on Canada for 2018 yet. Anything I guess to get some papers sold in the GTA. Must be a tough day for the Star as they haven’t found video yet of Ford actually walking into the Fire Hydrant resulting in a sore Groin photo.

• Habilis says:

The funniest part of the article is where he states that a guy like Dougie Hamilton will make it over a guy like P.K. because of the way Canada won this time around, meaning a premium on D play.

Yet he has Morgan Rielly in the top 6?? Contradictory lunacy.

42. Walmyr says:

A lot of post Olympics talk here…I can undestand why.

But none (I’m too lazy today so I didn’t read all the comments) related to Canadiens best 2 way forward, Plekanec…

IMO he was the best Canadiens player who play as a goalie in the Olympics. And again he played very well with Jagr…

just sayin’…

CHeers

43. CH Marshall says:

Wonder if the organization is thinking it’s time to fast track a little, throw some money at big free agents and start taking advantage of Price’s prime years

• Cal says:

They’ll probably trade Price and wait for Fucale. That means PK will have to go, too. MB is on the slow….real slow…track. (It’s not his fault the track is on an uphill grade.)

44. DoopsyDiddler says:

Someone below points out that since NHL income is gate-driven teams lose money because of the Olympic break.

This is similar to arguing that crops will grow slower during daylight savings time, because they get less sunlight.

• Paz says:

During these past 2 weeks the NBA is the NHL only real competition. So February is a uniquely important month to generate revenue.

I think that is a valid point.

January still has the NFL. And March is dominated by March Madness.

April, baseball season starts.

• Strummer says:

Maybe it’s similar to closing your restaurant for 2 weeks, and your customers eat and drink somewhere else.

After you re-open your customers are quite happy spending their money at the other establishments they went to while you were closed and aren’t to fussed about returning to yours

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

45. Habfan10912 says:

@Matty. You should try to watch the 24ch shows. I find them very entertaining. I have to admit I’m not in love with Gorge’s rah rah personality. That said, I wouldn’t care if he talked in tongue if he was a better player.

46. Walmyr says:

So….where is Max Pac???

47. Paz says:

We stand 6th overall in giving up goals per game, but we’re 22nd in the league in scoring goals.

This team needs to score more goals, especially 5 on 5.

• Habfan10912 says:

It does seem that the stats would support your point, huh? I can’t help but look at so many games where the puck seems to be in our own end for ever. Our defense seems to gave difficulting gaining possession of the puck, turns it over too often, and don’t always produce a good clean breakout opportunity.

Of course we could use s goal scorer. I completely agree but I can’t help to think the real issue is still our blue line.

48. Et le but says:

Just watched the 15 minute media scrum with Carey in Brossard.

What a great ambassador he is for all Canadians; soft-spoken, humble and consistent in his praise for others.

And, is there a better teammate than Luongo, not just in this tourney but during the last 4 years?

They both embody what makes me so proud to be a Canadian.

• Habilis says:

Agreed on both counts. Price is the consummate pro.

Luongo is just amazing. The way he supported Price during the tourney was nothing short of incredible. Obviously he had plenty of practice while backing up Schneider but it just speaks to the character of the person that he can throw all his support behind his teammate without a hint of jealousy.

It also seemed apparent to me that Luongo and Price developed a real friendship through all of this. You could see it in their body language after the games. It takes a special person to not only step aside, but to befriend his replacement because that’s the best thing for the team. What a guy.

Plus, he’s super funny on twitter. That “Jesus Price” tweet after the U.S. game was simply awesome.

49. habsfan0 says:

I would start Budaj Wednesday night vs the Wings.
    Price has got to be emotionally as well as physically exhausted.

50. Habilis says:

Looking at when they arrived and taking into account what Price told reporters, I’d be shocked if he was in the net for either weeknight game this week. I had hoped he’d play against Pittsburgh, but I doubt that now. My guess is he starts the Loaf game while Budaj gets the Wings and Pens.

I love the Olympics and all but Price not playing even one game because of it really sucks at this point in the season.

Once Price does recoup though, he needs to start playing both ends of the back to backs. He’s only done so once this season and you just know we’ll get consecutive games in the first round. Our boy needs to be used to them by then.

51. Paz says:

Gorges has been playing top 4 minutes for several years now.

I think he is recognized as being more than a 5th or 6th dman.

Gorges is a very valuable piece, and a big reason why this team wins more games than it loses.

You guys are way off about Gorges.

You don’t have to be a dirty player, or try and injure other players in the league, to play solid defence in this league.

52. mksness says:

So back to reality. it will be a bit harder to watch the Habs D after watching Team Canada.

Not sure if it’s being mentioned but i actually think that the cycle game that the forwards on team canada ran was one of the most interesting stories of the tournament. That cycle game lead to huge puck possession numbers making it much easier for the defence which which was already world class with a very solid price in nets. What i loved about price in the tournament was no bad goals; he’s been doing that for most of the season with us as well. Lets hope he can continue to ride that high down the stretch.

• Habfan10912 says:

I suspect Carey will have similar feelings playing behind our defensive corps as well. The good news in this department is we have some help that’s close. Tinordi could be a big help starting Wednesday. At least I hope so.

53. Alex says:

On the topic of the Habs D

I think if you look at teams with the best defense, Montreal isn’t close to comparing. St Louis has a top 4 of Pietrangelo, Bouwmeester, Jackman, and Shattenkirk. Chicago has Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, and Oduya. Boston has Chara, Seidenberg, Hamilton, and Boychuck.

The Habs have Subban, Markov, Gorges and Emelin in their top 4. Of these Subban is the only top 2 D we have on a legitimate cup contending team. Markov is getting old, and his demands are more than likely too much for what he is worth in the future and his trade value is worth more than he is, in my opinion. Emelin could be in the future a top 4 Dman, but he needs to play like it. I think Gorges is a bottom pair Dman on any solid D corps.

We have guys like Tinordi and Beaulieu who we hope can fill these spots in the future. I think both of them can be top 4 D, but I wouldn’t go as far to say they will be top pair esque. I think we need a Shea Weber type of player to compliment PK, a guy who is mean and plays a solid to way game, and will punish his opponents while playing with an edge. I have no idea where or how we will get this player, but I really believe we need it.

But as for now, our D is lackluster.

1000% true.

• Paz says:

There is no way this season and next season that Baulieu, Tinordi or Patteryn can play top 4 minutes.

There is no way that any of those 3 can out play Markov even though he is not as good as he once was.

I guess your evaluation of Markov, Gorges and Emelin is not the same as mine, but I do not see defence as the problem on this team.

Where are we showing any defensive weakness? 5 on 5, penalty kill? Where?

This team needs to score more goals.

• kalevine says:

1) the way the defense backs right down when opponents come into the zone, sometimes allowing them to move unchallenged into prime scoring position
          2) inability to win battles on the boards against big opposing forwards
          3) Markov getting cut up the ice leading to odd man rushes at least a couple of times a game
          4) not good at getting the first pass off
          Number 4 I agree could be a problem with the offence too, and they certainly do need to score more, but have you noticed how opposing defence pressure Habs and often keep the puck in, where Habs offence retreats at the slightest sign of a turnover. This is probably a system problem, which, come to think of it, might be the biggest problem of all

• 123456 says:

While I moderately agree with what you are saying, the Habs are a good team and their biggest issue is scoring at the moment.

• krob1000 says:

If you discount Markov as old then remove Chara from the Bruins. “A Shea Weber type of player to compliment PK”??? Sure we’ll head down to the market and pick us up a Shea Weber but while we’re out at it we should pick up a Crosby and Toews while we are there to save having to make another trip.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Chara might be old but he’s still very strong defensively and takes up half the Boston end when he’s on the ice. Markov has a nice pass on the PP and is weak everywhere else. Big difference, no pun intended :-).

• krob1000 says:

Markov is still valuable at 5 on 5 and would be better on the pp if he went back to being the focal point of it. Markov still has a great stick and still wins his positiona battles in front. HE does not have the speed he used to but neither does Chara. Chara is of course better than Markov defensively and I was not knocking Chara…just if Markov is being written off then Chara should too if we are looking ahead because Chara may have 2 or 3 seasons left (he could probably play mor with his fitness level but I doubt he will…has to be taxing for a guy that big)

• bwoar says:

Chara is OK defensively. He is by no means ‘very strong’ in his own end, unless he’s punching someone… he just hasn’t looked very good this year now that he’s slowed down considerably.

“thoroughbred”

• Mattyleg says:

If the Lucic is ripe, grab a couple of them, please too.

54. bwoar says:

After being so excited for the Olympic hockey tournament, I feel kinda disappointed, frankly. Few of the games warranted the time spent PVRing and watching them. I had, and have, memories of some really great international tournaments from years past. This one didn’t live up to those, save for the result.

So I’m glad to have the NHL back, we’re in for some intense hockey and we’ll actually see less trapping and more scrapping. I miss watching the Habs, and seeing the CH on the ice. I’d rather see MT on the bench than Claude Julien, who I’m very, very tired of. The Gold medal was nice, but it’s time to get back to serious business.

• mksness says:

TRAP TRAP TRAP TRAP.

wasn’t the most exciting tournament. teams are so focused on not being scored on rather than trying to score.

• Cal says:

I found it to be a crappy as you did. Over-hyped, over-rated and downright boring. The NHL would do well to forget about going next time.

• kalevine says:

I agree. A 1-0 game is great in a setting where some games have a lot of goals and some don’t. But just not enough goals! It’s like defenders have gotten stronger and faster, and if they fail, the big goalies with their huge pads make the stop. I’m not a big fan of this dead puck era

55. 123456 says:

OK my neighbors to the north – congrats on your gold. Glad that most of you are classy. I will say, while CAN was clearly the best team in the Olympics I didn’t see the domination I was expecting. Defensively yes, offensively no. Save for one easy victory all games were in play as to the outcome until the final moments. So mostly to those ungracious winners, while I say congrats, you must realize getting key scoring for your D was not the game plan.

Now on to my real point – I see all over the place that fans, GMs, etc are not expecting NHLers to return to the 2018 games – why? Injuries…. injuries are just one of the NHLs concerns and it’s not the biggest. Having said that, if you are the GM of any NHL team (just pick one) and say each team has 1 star going to the games and some star is going to get injured… the odds are in your favor that your trip to the Stanley Cup Finals just became a little easier. While I would never root for injuries, as a Hab fan, I realize Detroit is less of a threat than they were 2 weeks ago AND the Islanders – oh never mind. Point here is lets not just focus on injuries as a detriment to NHLers going to the games, there are a lot of positives for the league having their players showcased and the injury argument, while relevant, is not as risky as most make it appear.

I think the key factor is Money, TV money is hard to get for the next Olympics because the time zones will make it even harder to watch the games. Also, South Korea has zero hockey history, therefore, the IOC, IIHF and the NHL have no motivation to do South Korea a favour in having NHL players there.

• 123456 says:

I hear ya, one of the “factors” most pundits do not speak of.

While the NHL is disrupted and the schedule condensed for the Olympics, we all want it condensed anyway and I enjoy Olympic games more then NHL games.

I believe the Olympics in VAN and SL City did wonders for building stories and rivalries in the NHL.

• Strummer says:

Hockey economics are primarly gate driven. Smaller markets especially in U.S. are not in favour of shutting down for the 2 week Olympic period where they lose their exposure in markets where its competitive for sports dollars.
        ______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• bwoar says:

Sorry, but that wasn’t a good reason, IMO, to stop the season for two weeks. Let the kids go play in Korea and keep the NHL season moving.

“thoroughbred”

• BriPro says:

Tell that to Charles Wang and Garth Snow.

Harold Ramis passed away, he was a brilliant writer for SCTV. His work on Stripes with Bill Murray was tremendous.

RIP

57. Paz says:

I read with interest and respect posts that our Habs are no firkin good, especially the defence, and that’s why we

1) can not “expect” to win

2) must be patient and let Bergevin do his thing

So who exactly on our defence needs to be replaced?

Subban? Of course not

Markov? Well even on gimpy knees he is still effective at least this season. I would hesitate to sign him for more than 2 years but he’s a very capable top 4 NHL dman this year

Emelin? Well Bergevin just signed him so he’s not going anywhere.

Gorges? As a defensive specialist playing next to Subban I think Gorges makes almost all of the plays a #4 dman should make. Teams are more likely to win with a Gorges in the lineup if he plays in the right situations.

So that leaves us, in my opinion, with the 3rd pairing, and no matter who plays there the coach can always limit those minutes and keep them off the ice in key situations of the game. Most teams do not rely on their 5th and 6th dmen to win a Stanley Cup.

Behind this defence is one of the top 5 goalies in the world, no doubt.

So who are we changing here? What are we waiting for Bergevin to do exactly?

This teams needs to make 2 key changes in the top 9, as Bourque and Gionta are not getting it done.

That’s it!

• Hobie Hansen says:

On a good team Gorges is a 5th or 6th defenceman.

I personally think Markov should not be resigned. When you can’t skate backwards there’s a problem.

We have to keep our fingers crossed Emelin settles down and plays some better hockey.

Subban is a god.

In my books we have Subban, Emelin and Gorges who aren’t going anywhere, for different reasons. The Habs need three big and mobile guys in there pronto. Hopefully Tinordi, Beaulieu and Pateryn fit the bill.

I’d be happy if they signed Dan Girardi this summer and said bye bye to Markov.

Price said “this was the most vocal dressing room I’ve ever been to”… I interpret this as a direct challenge to Gorges. He will have to step it up now :)

59. BriPro says:

Is it because I’m OD’ing on cough medicine that I post on a previous thread, and Hobie answers on here? Well, since I’m miserable today and wish to be heard, here’s a re-post (Ron, thanks for the heads-up)

Hockey in the Olympics was an eye-opener.
    It proved the following:

– No matter how much the coaches and management of Team Canada were second-guessed by all of the couch coaches and GMs across the country, that’s why they’re there, and we’re not.

– The NHL is a watered-down rendition of its former self. The quality of hockey in the Olympics is definitely hard to match. But going from watching these games to the Habs on a bad night, or the Sabres, Isles or Panthers regularly just proves the point. There are too many teams, with too few elite players per team.

– Price is among the best, and the primary (if not the only) reason that our Habs are in a playoff hunt.

– Even without PK, Team Canada’s D are the envy of every hockey nation in the world.

– If the NHL refuses to send their players to the next Olympics, given in part what happened to Tavares, hockey at the games will definitely be a watered-down affair.

– I will be going through sports withdrawals for a while, so I can just imagine how our fantastic athletes, of all sports at all levels, will feel with the post-Olympic downtime.

– Subban should come back with a vengeance, raring to go (with the Wings in town). And what better opportunity for him to prove that he deserved the blue line at the Olympics, at the same level as the others. But he’s taken the high road and conducted himself with grace. This should impress MT. And by extension, MT’s new positive approach with PK will result in a positive impression by the commentariat of MT, going into the end of the season.

– Finally, I would venture to guess that PK and Jeff Carter have grown closer as a result of these games. Judging by the many images of Carter, between PK and Crosby, seems to show that they appreciate each other. I guess they’ve both matured. Good for them.

I still hope that Babcock gets an earful from the fans on Wed. If he is introduced I hope his name gets drown in PK, PK, PK… chants.

PK’s interview just as he got off the plane (these media types are really are a bunch of vultures)

62. Alex says:

It will be a little disappointing going back to watching NHL hockey after watching what may have been the greatest hockey team ever iced. Here’s hoping Carey doesn’t find it too bad once again going back to the Habs D from Canada’s. We will need him at his best for the rest of the year.

• GGtheHab says:

They are ceratinly up there, but 87 with Messier, Lemiuex and greztky..with Coffey and Borgue on D as a PP would be tough to beat…have to give the nod to Price over fuhr based on his last 3 games though

• Alex says:

Good point. Although I could see, when their careers are over, a lot of comparables between Toews/Messier, Crosby/Gretzky, Doughty/Coffey, etc. Obviously the numbers aren’t as high but that is just the game today.

• GGtheHab says:

Toews is certainly a good one and becoming a great leader but dont think he will ever be feared as messier..he was a mean SOB..but I get your jist..the dyas of the 6-5 games are long gone I think..here is a mind boggling stat ref Gretzky..somebody would have to get 140 points a season for 20 years to touch him..unreal

• deggy24 says:

I think the greatest hockey team every iced would be able to beat Norway by more than 3; as well better scores versus Latvia 2-1, Finland 2-1, and U.S.A 1-0 …
      Maybe the best defensive team … although Czechs in 1998 who first mastered the big ice umbrella defense could have an argument made for them ..

Habs Win!

63. GGtheHab says:

I am guessing Price will start Wed and Sat..and Budaj Thurs in pitts…the points against det and the laffs are very important.

64. ont fan says:

PK to be on Hockey central at Noon in a few minutes.

• Captain aHab says:

Missed it….did he say it was an honour to even be invited to the Olympics and that the level of D played showed that the guys on the ice were fine choices?

I’m sure that’s what they would want him to say.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

65. Hobie Hansen says:

Bripro: Price is among the best, and the primary (if not the only) reason that our Habs are in a playoff hunt.

***

Agree 100% my friend. An average goaltender with the Montreal defence, we’re in 12th spot or worse.

66. GL says:

Price is the real deal and if MB wants to win a cup with him. Gotta start bringing in good players before Price moves on. He proved in Sochi he can win the big games if he has the right team around him.

Some people disagree but I’ll say it again – I can’t see why a 26 year old can’t start Wednesday’s game. Price is now officially back in Montreal as of noon today. I’m assuming he slept a bit on the plane and now has two more nights of sleep at home. That has to somewhat counterbalance the time difference and jetlag.

The Habs need the two points against Detroit and Price needs to be recognized by the hometown fans after winning gold for Canada.

68. DoopsyDiddler says:

Does anyone else think there should be a medal for 4th place at the Olympics? (Could be a second bronze.)

You see a final with four competitors like short track or ski cross and it seems unfair that they all made it to the final but one will go home with nothing.

Years later that person will have to tell their grandkids I participated in the Olympics once instead of hey kids wanna see my medal? Seems unjust.

Same with hockey. Give the semifinal losers a bronze and dispense with the losers final.

Also, I think “medal” should remain a noun and not a verb.

Thank you for your attention.

69. Kelectro says:

I’m on this site all the time and love reading everybody’s comments, and I hope you will accept me into your posse. And I’m sure hundreds of people have asked this before, but how do you add an avatar?

“We done it!” – Patrick Roy, 1993

• Maksimir says:

Go to http://en.gravatar.com/ and create a profile linked to this site…

• Et le but says:

Welcome to the mad house Kelectro.

Go to gravatar.com to create your avatar.

• Captain aHab says:

We need to establish where you fit in…

1) Pro Halak or Pro Price?

2) Pro DD (AKA Anti-Timo) or Pro MOAR BIGGER?

3) Pro Subban or Pro Babcock?

4) Do you care about advanced stats like the Corsi and the Fenwick?

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

I think you should be in charge of enrollment here, those are excellent and fair questions.

• Mattyleg says:

Don’t forget:

5) Do you hate Therrien, or are you blind and live in a cave where iron hasn’t been discovered yet?

• shiram says:

One can hate him, whatever results he does get.

I still hate the guy, hate the way he speaks and his decision are definitely questionable at times.
          I’m not gonna harp about it, or anything, but I dislike the guy, and probably always will.

• Mattyleg says:

Heh heh.

• shiram says:

Your single mindedness coupled with some lack of objectivity gets annoying at times, especially as you always make sure to point opinions that differ from yours as stupid.
            I see it as trolling really.

I get what you meant Shiram. I was not happy when MT was re-hired, but obviously he was going to be here for a little while so i have tried to see the merits in what he is doing as the Coach. There is indeed something about MT which doesn’t translate well for me, but he is doing at least an average job as the coach.

I do think he will be replaced sooner than later, much may indeed depend on whether or not Habs make playoffs and if indeed they are blown out in first round again.

But there is something about MT which I just don’t like, not sure what it is exactly.

• Mattyleg says:

Shiram,
            I was making a joke.

I was making the joke that some people think that those who don’t dislike Therrien are stupid. Which would be me.

I was making the joke that Therrien is a divisive figure on here.

I don’t think people are stupid for having a different opinion than mine, but I sometimes find it grating that people will fixate on one thing as the source of all problems.

It doesn’t bother me one bit that you don’t like Therrien; I don’t particularly love him either, but you are one of the few people who doesn’t need to express that opinion in every single post they make.

I don’t consider myself singleminded; I try to remain balanced, as much as anyone else on here, anyway!

If you want to see it as trolling go ahead.

(and my laugh was in appreciation of your full disclosure of dislike – laughing with, not at, Shiram)

• shiram says:

It’s interesting that all other 4 points were made without resorting to insults, and yet in yours there it is.

And most trolls post baiting comments, and saying someone lives in a cave for an opinion, certainly is baiting to me, if you insult me I’ll defend my position.

I’ll see your posts as trollish when they are indeed trollish.

• Mattyleg says:

Jeez Shiram, you misread my post!!

I said “Do you hate Therrien, or are you blind and live in a cave where iron hasn’t been discovered yet?”

That means that those who DON’T hate him are blind etc.

These are the kinds of things that certain posters say, like “anyone who doesn’t see Therrien as the main problem with this team doesn’t understand hockey” or worse.

I went more extreme for comedy, but I was poking fun at posters who say those things.

That does not include you.

I’m sorry that you missed that.

• shiram says:

Sometimes I read words/letters in wrong orders, or just see a similar word, but not the one posted, I usually read stuff twice because of this, as a matter of habit.

So I’m apologizing for calling you out on this.
            I made a mistake and should not have singled you out.

• Mattyleg says:

All good Shiram.

• shiram says:

Still would rather not see insults, even as jest, on either side of the coin, but I’ll take my lumps for now and quite before I stick this other foot in my mouth.

• Mattyleg says:

;)

• Kelectro says:

Pro Price. Always have been. Also really enjoyed Halak struggling at the Olympics…I’m petty that way.

MOAR BIGGER for sure. I like DD, but he’s got to go. Too easy to push off the puck.

Subban. But I understand how he didn’t quite fit into the system in Sochi. Canada pretty much dominated every game despite not scoring. They controlled every game. Finland only had like 16 shots. They did well without Subban. But I love his swagger and he’s still the best man in my mind.

Don’t care at all about advanced stats. Just good efforts and Ws.

BONUS Question: Therrian. Was confused when he was chosen because I hated him back in the day – but he seems to have become quite a reasonable and mature coach. I don’t mind trusting him for the time being. Do I think he will take us to the promised land? Not at all. He’s good for now in teaching the Habs some discipline.

How’s that? Did I pass the test?

“We done it!” – Patrick Roy

When you select your picture make sure you make it G rated or else it won’t be accepted. Also ensure you use the same email address for gravatar as you do here at HI/O.

Welcome aboard.

• habsguru says:

welcome to the motherland!

70. flowerpower_74 says:

BRONZE?

Montreal Canadiens-2013 and forever Northeast Division Champs

71. Maksimir says:

Yeah! Gold Medal in ‘First Commenter Event’

72. Mattyleg says:

So you think we should trade him because you don’t like his character on 24CH.

That’s great.

73. 123456 says:

Unfortunately I do not get to see 24CH but I do get to see a decent defensive defenseman play for the Habs – while 26 is not what he was a few years ago when he shut down the Pens and the Caps he is still serviceable at an affordable price.

74. Mattyleg says:

I thought you didn’t like his ‘raw talk in the dressing room’.

There is no such thing as ‘selling value when high’ in the NHL. It’s a fan’s delusion. Gorges playing well vs Gorges playing badly will cost the same; every GM/coach thinks they can get the best out of a player regardless of current form.

75. Mattyleg says:

I don’t watch it either, but I’ve heard about it.

76. krob1000 says:

Be interesting to see if Galchenyuk is paird with Eller again. PRust is not practicing so Eller may get his chance with Chucky again.

77. Mattyleg says:

Haha!!
    The sugar!!
    Heh heh heh… oh, that’s funny.

I guess I’m just plain crazy to have pointed out something that has been said before by many GMs. Chris Nilan just mentioned it the other day as well, saying that Diaz would not have got more than he did even when he was playing well. If Travis Moen suddenly scored two goals a game for 5 games, would he get us Matt Moulson?

78. Habfan10912 says:

Hi krob. Galchenyuk was practicing today with Lars and Bourque.

79. Habfan17 says:

Sorry, I have to disagree. A case in point would be Johnathon Cheechoo!

80. krob1000 says:

I literally read that after I typed this! That should be interesting if they can find some life in Bouruqe especially.

At least both of them have a pair.

82. Mattyleg says:

Pebble Beach, St. Andrews, Royal Montreal…

83. Mattyleg says:

There are some exceptions, for sure, but the rule is otherwise true.

84. Thomas Le Fan says:

LOL.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

85. BJ says:

Who is the nut job in the north?

86. mdp2011 says:

North Korea leader Kim Jong-un.

87. Mattyleg says:

Stephen Harper.

88. BJ says:

I would be more concerned of the nut job south of the 49th.

89. BJ says:

Track down his puppet masters.

90. johnnylarue says:

Who’s running against Hillary?

91. jols says:

It won’t matter. She’s in.

92. dr. schmutzdeker says:

So, based on that last remark, methinks you would trust the leaders of…and enjoy the freedom/prosperity of such benevolent Socialist Utopia’s as North Korea, the former USSR, Red China, Former Eastern Bloc Countries (Romania, Albania etc), and Pol Pot’s Cambodia to the U.S.
    …Aye Carumba…

93. GrimJim says:

I think he is actually talking about future POTUS, Tim Thomas…

94. BJ says:

We do have a hard time getting it right in the first round.

95. ont fan says:

There were maybe 3 guys after LeBlanc that have made the NHL.

96. Ali says:

I think Timmins has done a pretty good job: Price, Pacioretty, Mcdonagh, Beaulieu, Tinordi.

The only proven miss was David Fischer, and scuttlebut seems to be that Gainey overruled Timmins to take a dman over a forward (Giroux?).

Jury is still out on Leblanc, but he was never projected to be more than a borderline second line winger anyway.

97. habcertain says:

Markov knows this his last chance to get real money, and I’m pretty sure some team would give him the $6m/per for 3 years. But not us, we could probably get a decent return from a team looking to go deep, pull the trigger.

98. Habfan17 says:

Now you only have one right handed shot and I would disagree.Beaulieu skates better than most on the Habs and can put up points, so Markov is taking time from him if he stays. Nygren can also put up points and has a more accurate and harder shot than all but Subban. I agree, Gorges could go and I would keep Drewiskie as the 7th defenceman over Murray. His cap hit is better and with the raise Bergevin will have to give out this off season, they will need extra space.

99. twilighthours says:

I thought we agreed we weren’t going to rip on EOTP because it makes us look bad.

100. Cal says:

I bet if we watched a game with them, they’d be hard at work, banging away on their calculators, looking like so many elves near Christmas-time; all hunched over and appearing gloriously gnome-like.

101. Mattyleg says:

Ha!!

102. twilighthours says:

Well-played.

But seriously, we just look like children when we spend time ripping them. I hated the Berkshire era on HIO. He almost ruined this site. (as opposed to the Bill era, which has sadly come to a close. Bill, why have you forsaken us?). But he’s just another internet fan with an opinion, one who knows no more nor no less than any of us. He’s not worthy of so much negative energy.

I just think we’re above the sort of bile that gets spewed over at EOTP. Let’s be the bigger people.

103. shiram says:

So you’re saying we should get Moar Bigger?

Agree with your sentiment. As I have said before, I think EOTP do some very good pieces and provide some excellent data and research on the Habs and hockey in general. I just disagree with the amount of time and keystrokes that has been spent on railing on Crankshaft.

105. twilighthours says:

Even bigger than that: MOAR bigger.

106. twilighthours says:

They dig in on a position and will never relinquish. Everybody but the EOTP people knows that Murray has been much better of late.

107. Paz says:

Exactly. Murray had a terrible start but he has played very well these past 10+ games.

The stats bear that out.

108. ont fan says:

Doug Armstrong on Subban,”Probably if Pieterangelo didn’t play with Boumeester he would have been in. In the room and practice, can’t stress how up beat he was. Wasn’t down, would do whatever the coaching staff asked of him with that big smile.”

109. Just a Habs Fan says:

Storm man As though you’d know

110. Strummer says:

Back in the day I thought Jacques Lemaire looked like Bob Newhart.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

111. Sportfan says:

I like Markov a lot, I think he’s good for this team, I think he cpould end his career here. If he was to be traded for something like that and then he came back I would be on board for that for sure!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

112. B says:

A conditional first-round pick (Émile Poirier selected 22nd), undrafted minor-league defenseman Mark Cundari and goaltender Reto Berra, (who was an unsigned 4th round draft choice playing in Switzerland).

Note that Bouwmeester (29 at the time) was not a pending UFA.

–Go Habs Go!–

113. Sportfan says:

LOL I can see that comparison

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

114. Sportfan says:

Would the Ducks or Kings give up a 1st pick a prospect and a current young player?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

115. Habfan17 says:

By then, they will have already gone out and gotten one. For all we know, Markov will suck next year and MB will not be able to trade him. Or his knee could give out!

116. durocher says:

The problem with the Caps is that I think they would be very reluctant to give up picks or prospects after the Erat/Fosberg debacle.

117. Sportfan says:

Dalton Thrower has a fantastic name lol Edit: that shouldn’t have been there.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

118. habcertain says:

no way Markov can command that type of return, if he could we would be foolish not to grab it.

If Markov gets a 3 year deal and something doesn’t work out he is untradeable at the 6 mil price tag.

120. Habfan17 says:

Not to mention, even if he retires, he will still count against the cap! Didn’t we learn from the Gomez or Briere situations?

121. Habfan17 says:

My apologies, I thought you meant next season. I agree with you, there are teams right now that would pay through the teeth for a top defenceman right now, even a rental. Trade deadline and playoff fever makes them produce some hormone that goes to their heads and makes them do crazy things!

122. Habfan17 says:

Very nice analogy!

123. Hobie Hansen says:

Cool, so we should get a massive return for Markov. Starting point is a good prospect and a 1st rounder.

124. Mattyleg says:

I fail to understand this.

125. Maritime Ronn says:

Sorry, but not even close….

126. AceTen says:

Crazy like trading two 2nd round picks for Douglas Murray?

127. Habfan17 says:

Not sure how to take that! lol

128. Habfan17 says:

Maybe MB could trade MT and Briere for Babcock…lol

129. Saintpatrick33 says:

I’m sure MB could get that at the very least which would be great.

130. Cal says:

Canada would have been better with him playing. I will stick with that. Bouwmeister and Vlasic could have been easily replaced by PK.
    Keith didn’t play all that shit hot either.

131. scrotchland says: