Habs name Mellanby director of player personnel

Scott Mellanby

Scott Mellanby behind St. Louis Blues bench in January 2011.
Mark Buckner, NHLI via Getty Images

The Canadiens this afternoon named Scott Mellanby their director of player personnel.

Here’s the team’s release.

The club says there is NO imminent announcement coming on the appointment of the team’s head coach. GM Marc Bergevin was in Chicago on the weekend settling family matters, will be in Toronto at the NHL Combine tomorrow, in New York City at the league GM meetings on Wednesday and back in Toronto at the Combine on Thursday.

More to come…

1. nunacanadien says:

Day 6935 without a cup in Montreal…..mission accomplished sign hangs behind Geoff Molson as he heads the Habs Committee to Ruin the Habs……

Geoff Molson and his rich friends are managing the habs, there is no General Manager, no coach in Montreal. They are just highly paid actors paid to not do their jobs. It is true.

Why else would Scott Gomez stay, and we get duped into thinking Price will stop only one goal past him and we win? No this story never came true.

Instead we are at the bottom of the league. Day 6935 without a cup and the Habs Ownership Committee has accomplished its task of destroying hockey in Montreal.

Alas, the Gazette staff and even the great Red Fisher have bought the line hook line and sinker. Now we have the image of Bergevin flying around, while some spokesman speaks for him. As if watching the Ghost Gauthier was bad enough.

2. JayK-47 says:

How’s it going Hockey And Beer Superfans Inside Out Dot Com? (habsinsideout for short)

3. Un Canadien errant says:

For those of us who are trying to figure out which UFA winger we can sign on the cheap, and have brought up Ryan Smyth as a possibility, the Edmonton Journal reports that he is probably looking for a 2 year contract at $3 million a year.

———————————
    In the very long view, it is important that kids growing up in Québec love the Canadiens and recognize themselves in the team, and a bit of the team in themselves. There must be a strong, visceral, emotional connection between the fans and leurs Glorieux.

• JayK-47 says:

How about a 3rd line of Saku Koivu, Ryan Smyth and Shane Doan?

• nellis13 says:

Ryan Smith’s a warrior with solid point production. I’ll never forget the way he came back with a mouth full of stitches and set up Horcoff for the game winning goal in the 3rd OT against the Sharks. He’s a winner cuz he wants to be.

4. Un Canadien errant says:

I’m in the end-of-the-world camp, but those of us who say the Tomas Kaberle trade wasn’t so bad, and that we can unload him on another team if he plays up to modest expectations, one complicating factor is that the Senators will try to shop Sergei Gonchar. The market for offensively minded veteran defencemen may be glutted if he and Marek Zidlicky are on offer.

———————————

5. Un Canadien errant says:

With all the griping about the Canadiens restricting themselves to bilingual coaching candidates only, and how they’re missing out on so many much more qualified coaches out there just available for the taking, what are the Flames doing interviewing Bob Hartley? Shouldn’t they be out there talking to better, more experienced, more NHL-ready coaches? Why are they fishing in our small pond filled with small fishes, when they could be bringing in a whale sitting out there in a huge ocean of whales just dying to get harpooned?

———————————

6. commandant says:

Back to the Profiles with Mike Winther of the Prince Albert Raiders

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• JayK-47 says:

Awesome work man. I’m glad you’re doing this because for the first time in my rememory, the Habs can really steer their destiny through the first 60-ish picks.

Are you doing the mock draft up to that 63 pick?

7. commandant says:

What would people think of Benoit Groulx as an out of left field pick for coach?

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

8. daveho29 says:

Canadian Brewing awards in Montreal in June.
    I wish I could be there to try some of those tasty beers, especially Howe Sound Brewing, come to think of it I have have my own mug there and have emptied it more times than I can remember.

Lots of good brewers going to be there having sampled many of their products.

9. FanCritic says:

of the three coaches named to coach the Habs as far as they rank IMO Hartley Crawford Therrien I still would give Roy first choice if he wanted it a two year deal make or break…we need new blood not retreads.

• nunacanadien says:

Never mind that, the Habs Ownership Committee To Ruin The Habs will find you a more bland coach than Jacques Martin, as if there is a way to find an even more bland coach. So what if a bunch of rich Toronto owners want to sabotage hockey in Montreal? So what if the Province of Quebec allows some rich people in Toronto to basically destroy hockey in Montreal…..so what????

10. Captain aHab says:

According to Vinny, in the second period of the last Memorial game, he learned that Hartley got a second interview in Calgary and he is the leader there and it would seem that it’s Crawford or Therrien for the Habs job.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

11. Captain aHab says:

Apparently Vinny Damphousse is about to make some sort of earth shattering revelation on Antichambre

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

Oduya signs a three year deal with Chicago.

13. gmur says:

Lots of people think the Canadiens did indeed make a good move hiring Marc Bergevin as general manager.

You may now change the poll question on the right of this page…

• nunacanadien says:

They might as well hired some famous Montreal actor, as if the owners would let a General Manager be a General Manager in Montreal, as if Geoff Molson would let down his friends from Toronto?

14. Mavid says:

a dwarf Ozzy Ozborne…common wednesday…

15. L Elle says:

While driving through more rain, I was listening to Knuckles on the radio.

He thinks Hartley could be a good coach, and no way Gomez would even attempt to yap at him from the bench like he did with RC.

He also says that the assistant coach has to be a cross between Mother Teresa and Richard Simmons(lol), because after Hartley is done with them, they’ll need their diaper changed and someone to hug them.

Knuckles says he likes a coach like that. But then again he played in the good old days. ???

If indeed Bergevin has a longer term plan for the team, with hopes of landing a Quennville, perhaps he feels the team could use a Hartley styled coach, knowing full well his shelf life will be over in 2 seasons.

I am trying hard to find ways to justify the hiring of Hartley, in case it happens.

• L Elle says:

Desensitization, works for me too Gerald.

I think I’ll freak less knowing Bergevin is the one hiring, but TTWWOO years of Hartley is a long time, no? :)

• habstrinifan says:

If the rumour is true aren’t you considering the Cataracte guy as the heir in waiting ..he will be apprenticing for those 2 season you speak of. I would love to see at least in the next 5yrs… smooth coaching changes from a top huy who moves on and up to hiss asst.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…presently We are still in the Honeymoon Period of the Bergevin-era …but I will be terribly disappointed if Bob Hartley was the face of Our new Head Coach
      …I am single-minded about Patrick Roy
      …I want a reminder of Our past, a ‘star presense’ as well as a passionate solid Head Coach
      …I DO NOT want a retread …I want someone as new as Bergevin …I want Roy given a chance
      …We already lost opportunities having dynamic compelling leadership and coaching talent in Kirk and Guy Boucher
      …if We wind up firing Roy after one or two seasons, I am ready to live with that …but if Roy is similarily enthusiastic to coach Our Habs, then I will be very discouraged if He is not given the opportunity
      …I will be very ill seeing Hartley’s puss behind Our Bench :(

My greatest fear of Roy is that he and the media supporting him run roughshod over Bergevin. I understand the sentiment, but with a rookie GM Roys personality would become sole face of team.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I think Bergevin would hold His own with Roy
          …of course the evaluation of Roy would include Roy’s attitude to authority
          …I won’t be privy to that, and maybe second-guessing Bergevin’s choice may be unfair if it is not Roy …but, that’s how I feel about it now Gerald

Totally understand Christopher. I just am so glad to see the changes already made. I will trust MB’s judgement and give him benefit of doubt no matter the choice.

• L Elle says:

So far Guy Boucher has been a bust, and Kirk Muller still has a lot to prove, but I wholeheartedly agree with you re Hartley.

Roy can be a hit or a miss, but if he and Hartley are the last men standing, I’d go with Roy. I’m not as nostalgic as you are HiS, I’d rather Marc crawford from the veteran coaches, but my first choice would be someone I’ve never even heard of.

In any case, we’ll have to accept our fate, and probably be pleasantly surprised.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…too early to say Guy is a bust Larisa …His first season was excellent …give him a goaltender and more depth at D and let’s see
          …re Kirk Is Work ? …I think He will be a solid if not excellent HC long-term :)

• L Elle says:

That’s why I said “so far” HiS. If he loosens the reigns on his system, there’s hope. :)

And who doesn’t love Kirk?

• Un Canadien errant says:

Totally agree HiS. Posted as such yesterday or two days ago, generated quite a bit of discussion. Here’s the link to my Plea For Patrick. The latest, anyway.

———————————

• Coach K says:

I have to respectfully disagree on Patrick Roy.

Can’t see Roy behind the Habs bench until he’s coached at the pro level first. Its one thing to tell eager high school kids (that’s what junior players are after all) how to play. It’s quite another to motivate jaded, supposedly-adult millionaires. I’d almost have to wonder if he’d quit on them and blame management for “embarrassing” him after the first 4 game losing streak. I mean, its not like we haven’t seen that movie before right? lol!

Seriously though, I think Roy could coach the big team. Just let him earn his stripes first by coaching at the pro level either as an assistant in Montreal or a head coach in the AHL. After all, the only job where you start at the top is when you dig a hole. If he isn’t humble enough to accept those terms then that would prove what the media has implied all along: that its all about him and his ego; in which case, he wouldn’t deserve the opportunity. If however, he accepts those terms, then he immediately shuts up the doubting media types who call into question, his motives.

Another way to look at it is this:
        Why should Geoff Molson hand him the keys to the family Rolls Royce when all he’s ever driven is the lawn tractor? The Habs and their long-suffering fans deserve somebody with pro experience behind the bench who is confident enough in his own abilities that he can accept direction from others in the player development department without feeling threatened. I believe that will lead to more long term success than bringing in another coach with no pro coaching experience.

“This is the only thing that has seen more parties than us.”
        Steven Tyler, Aerosmith’s lead singer, after admiring the Stanley Cup…

16. Habitant in Surrey says:

…in case it has not been mentioned among the commentariat yet, Ralph Mellanby, Scott’s dad, was the former senior producer of HNIC, and was first to hire Don Cherry

…does this mean Cherry as Our Head Coach ???

I don’t think hiring him was a bad move at all, rather the fact they have allowed him to run his own show with virtually zero restrictions. I didn’t mind Cherry the first while, of course once Ron Maclean took over role of host, the show began its slippery slope down.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I was more teasing about the prospect of Cherry as Our new HC Gerald
        …as for Coach’s Corner, I think Don is a great entertainer, whether I agree or not with his opinions …I also respect Ron MacLean’s counter-point and wry quick mind
        …I also, now, take their Hab disdain and Weeds/Booins biases with a grain of salt
        …I’m mellowing :)

• 24 Cups says:

HS – Get real. Don Cherry is a total asshole and MacLean has swallowed all his pride in order to keep nailing down $450,000 a year. Respect these guys? I think not.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I am as ‘real’ as You any day of the week Steve
            …Your opinion is as good as anyOne’s …I guess

• 24 Cups says:

I’m just so fed up with their dog and pony show.

I can’t wait for vaudeville to die in terms of these two guys.

If you thought the Habs needed a house cleaning…..

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I guess different tastes Steve …for a lot of people Don & Ron are staples …I have never considered them as founts of hockey wisdom, but as entertaining clowns …if We narrow it down to that, they earn their money

• boing007 says:

Alright, then, let’s change the name to Clowns Corner.

Richard R
            Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

17. 24moreCups says:

I don’t know if this has been mentioned yet but anyone else from Montreal get caught in that crazy down pour of rain earlier?

I was helping a buddy move into his new place and got caught in it. Man that was a wild storm, short but caused a damage to the city.

• L Elle says:

Yes, I was downtown and in about 2 seconds I was soaking wet from head to toe. That wasn’t the worst of it – streets blocked, Fire trucks, police; everything was upside down.

Meh, just another day in Montreal. ;)

• Propwash says:

My basement turned into a lake, still on damage control, having a beer and cig break.

_____________________________
      “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
      Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

• L Elle says:

Sorry to hear that. :(

Good luck Prop! Not a fun experience.

• Propwash says:

Thanks :) it’s definitely not fun, but I saved the expensive stuff, It’s a regular occurrence at my place in Verdun during torrential downpours, as my landlord refuses to install a one way valve in the drain in the basement. I got home in time, and knew it was going to be slightly more than just a light sprinkle, so I elevated my computer, and unplugged the tv.

_____________________________
        “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
        Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

• 24moreCups says:

I live in Verdun also some of lanes were flooded, my toilet even started to overflow some water, we had to cut the the water off from it for awhile(Just with clean water, luckily!)

18. Mavid says:

the whole summer without hockey is long enough..lets not talk lockout..I almost went insane during the last one resorting to watching DVD’s…please not again…

19. slapshot777 says:

Hopefully

Assuming you are responding to Mavid, your point is well taken. Of course I do have this twisted thought that the lockout/strike lasts all year. We win lottery get Mckinnon and Gomez has a mishap on an Alaskan Crab fishing boat thus forcing him to retire. Don’t worry nothing serious to hurt his life in retirement, just a tweak causing him miss his final year of his contract.

• Clay says:

I think we have a better chance of getting first overall by playing out the season, if this season was any indication :)

__________________________
        ☞ “Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

20. Mavid says:

only 127 days till the season starts

21. Mavid says:

its been a long few days…I have been watching America’s Got Talent

No Stanley Cup Playoffs, No Memorial Cup sigh….. watching the Jays.

23. frontenac1 says:

Whenever I’m in Montreal, I always have their Scotch Ale at Brutopia on lower Crescent st. Really nice!

24. Captain aHab says:

Best brew I’ve ever had might be Pete’s Wicked Ale. Yuengling is also hellagood…their light beer is the best light I’ve ever had. But all of their offerings are very tasty.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.