Habs mount stunning comeback to beat Sens 5-4 in overtime (Video)

(Photo: Paul Chiasson/The Canadian Press)

When P.K. Subban got the puck in the dying seconds of the game with the Canadiens down 4-3 to the Ottawa Senators, his initial reaction was to shoot the puck.

But he said he was sure it would have been blocked, so instead he passed to David Desharnais near the Senators net who scored the tying goal with .3 seconds left on the clock.

“I just said you know what, even if the buzzer goes we’ll have a pretty good shot from there,” Subban said after the Canadiens improbable 5-4 overtime victory over the Senators.

“You’ve got to give Davey credit because he had one hand on the stick. He was waving at me to shoot it and then he got two hands on it really quick,” Subban said.

“Big players score in the big moments and step up and he did a good job of sending it to overtime,” added Subban who had three assists and seven shots on goal.

Desharnais said he knew he didn’t have much time to shoot. “I had a quick release there and it’s a good time to have it,” he said.

The Canadiens dominated in the first period out-shooting the Senators 17-4, but couldn’t convert on several golden scoring opportunities. They trailed 4-1 in the third period, but rallied in the last few minutes scoring three goals to send the game into overtime. Francis Bouillon scored the game-winning goal at 1:26 of overtime.

Coach Michel Therrien called it a ‘match de fou’–a crazy game.

“What I’m hoping for is that could change the season those big games like that,” Therrien said when asked what the victory does for the team’s morale.

The Canadiens play against the Buffalo Sabres on Sunday. Canadiens goaltender Carey Price, who returned to play Saturday after missing eight games with a lower-body injury, isn’t travelling with the team to Buffalo. Therrien said they don’t want to put him in back-to-back games. “So he’s going to remain in Montreal and make sure he’s going to be ready for his next game this week,” the coach said.

You can watch what Desharnais had to say here about his tying goal:

And you can listen to Subban talking about the tying goal and his pass to Desharnais here:

You can hear Bouillon talk about his game-winning goal in overtime here:

You can watch what Brian Gionta had to say after the game here. Gionta scored at 17:56 of the third period and had six shots on goal, finishing the game a plus-3:

You can listen to Price here:

(Video: Brenda Branswell)

1. Just A Guy says:

Still undefeated in the Weise era (when he plays).

I think a lot of doubt is going to be cast on Therrien by management if he can’t get Vanek to contribute.

Most of people’s misgivings about Therrien seem to be a two sided coin, however, Vanek coming into Montreal puts a unique perspective on how MT can use his personnel properly. Vanek has 9 points in 13 games with the Sabres and 44 points in 47 games with the Islanders. 1 point in 4 games so far with the habs. The sample size is naturally too small, but it does give one pause to wonder.

Habs better not eff it up tomorrow. They have closed the gap on TO but they are still not out of the woods as far as being out of the playoffs.

3. slyCH says:

I checked the score on my NHL app from work at the 15 something mark of the 3rd when it was 4-1 Sens. “Une autre match crutial perdue”… little did I know it would turn out to be the second best comeback, after the Rangers 5 goal deficit miracle… at least I got to see that one live.

4. Habitant in Surrey says:

…playing Tokarski in Buffalo is pushing Our luck

…Toker is a decent AHL goalie, but not an NHL goalie from what I have seen of Him in the AHL

5. Luke says:

Argh!
    Woo!

Thus ends my game summary.

Transcripts are available at a reasonable price.

Btw, what is that with Lehner supposedly saving Sens in the first? Habs couldn’t put a puck in the net, plain and simple. On most of their c0ckups I don’t think Lehner ever had to touch the puck.

7. Habitant in Surrey says:

…just when One is contemplating becoming a fan of the Moscow Dynamo, Our Habs pull these rabbits out of Their rear-ends

8. slyCH says:

MacArthur summed up his feelings by saying it was “almost sickening” that the Senators left Montreal with only a single point.

I say it’s sickening they left with one in the first place.

9. Habcouver says:

Watching the Flames-Yotes game. I truly hate the HOOOWLLLL! and just hoping for no more Yotes goals or Flame penalties.
    Crap! Flames just penalized….HOooooooWLLLLL!!

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

10. Max says:

Lehner did not have the puck covered in ot.The biscuit was laying next to his pad in plain view of the ref.The scrambling and hoopla in front of the net made it seem like it was covered but that biscuit was just sitting there undisturbed.
    MacArthur comes across as bit of a whiny jackass as well.I believe he left Toronto on bad terms whining about Carlyle .He’s got that whiny look about him.

11. Say Ash says:

Do walruses know how to play golf?

12. Habfun says:

I posted this on CBC and TSN just to rub it in. Because of their whining!

Ottawa shouldn’t have stopped skating with 3.5 minutes left.
    For all of you that are complaining about the refs, Hey there are Hab fans everywhere!!
    Go Habs!!!

It’s all about the CH

• Timo says:

Did they really think that refs are going to do them any favors after the slash by Spezza? Some captain.

• Habfun says:

Snores are known for yapping at the refs from the bench (constantly) and this is why the calls don’t go their way. They get what they deserve.
        Hope they know how to golf!!

It’s all about the CH

What a bunch of classless whiners… all to the image of their coach

Fitting they represent the city who represents our windbag politicians.

• Habfun says:

Don’t paint us all with the same brush please, I live in Ottawa with 8 brothers & 3 Sisters and my mom still living healthy at 89 years old. (and let me say, the girls are as tough as the boys or tougher). And we are all Hab fans!!
        I don’t support the windbag politicians or the blow hard Senatsnores!
        I only go to games here when the Habs are playing or if I want real hockey atmosphere I go to The Bell Centre at least 3 times a year

It’s all about the CH

I am still buzzing over this win. It was a truly exciting game.

15. Say Ash says:

Spezza should be suspended for slashing the ref

Great comeback! Lets hope they build some momentum off this game.

17. 416erHabsFan says: