Habs’ Markov skips practice for therapy day (with video)

Coming off a 3-0 win over the Carolina Hurricanes Tuesday night at the Bell Centre, the Canadiens were back on the ice Wednesday morning in Brossard for a practice before heading to Boston to face the Bruins Thursday night (7 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Andrei Markov did not take part in the practice, opting for a therapy day, while Davis Drewiske, who has yet to play this season, skated with his teammates for the first time since having shoulder surgery but was wearing a no-contact jersey. Drewiske was paired with Raphael Diaz at practice, while Francis Bouillon took Markov’s spot beside Emelin. Diaz and Bouillon were both healthy scratches against the Hurricanes.

Coach Michel Therrien told reporters after practice that Markov will play against the Bruins and his absence from practice was for maintenance.

Here’s how the forward lines and defence pairings looked at practice:

Gionta-Plekanec-Bournival
Gallagher-Desharnais-Pacioretty
Moen-Briere-Parros
Prust-Eller-Bourque

Bouillon-Emelin
Subban-Gorges
Beaulieu-Murray
Drewiske-Diaz

(Photo by Dario Ayala/The Gazette)

Habs hope to ‘keep the ball rolling’ in Boston, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

On to Boston, Canadiens.com

Post-practice interviews (video), Canadiens.com

Price stands tall as Habs end slump, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

‘Still a lot of room for improvement,’ Gorges says, by Pat Hickey

Habs fans can breathe a little easier, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Habs restore order, Canadiens.com

Price bounces back, TSN.ca

Another demotion for Louis Leblanc, Stu on Sports blog

Bruins get by Panthers, Thomas, Boston.com

1. Storm Man says:

I love the fact on how some on here want to “dump” players in a trade. Sort of my saying to you “hey here is your ex back I’m going to take your current woman” would you do that trade? Teams are not going to take players we want to dump.

• Johan says:

Andrey is very good in power plays and he is able to disperse an attack, make a first pass and is not afraid of moving forward himself. Today many defenders aim first and foremost not to make any mistakes, and they are very careful in their play. In a five on five game, Markov confidently goes into attack along with the strikers if it would lead to an uncomfortable situation in an opponent’s goal area.

2. GL says:

I noticed the practice lines MT is screwing with them again

3. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

So, the Phoenix Coyotes are going to be the Arizona Coyotes. What next? Southwest Coyotes? United States Coyotes? If you can’t be proud of your city… I’m looking at you Wild, Panthers, Islanders, and doubly the Hurricanes, who won’t even choose a Carolina! Look at Columbus! Do they play the Ohio card? Nope. And, as for football teams… Green Bay Packers = good! New England Patriots = Really? You claiming an entire region?

4. adadi says:

So what’s our centre situation next year. Assuming no trades.

1. Pleks
    2. Eller
    3. Chucky
    4. White

I like it. Need to dump DD and DB. Or maybe keep one of the two as insurance. I guess keep DD to keep Patches happy. Man the DB deal keeps getting worse. I really hope that MB will try to keep Eller. I gave no doubt that he is a second line Centre if given stable and decent wingers.

5. Habitant in Surrey says:

@HabFab

…Frank, knowing what Mahovolich meant You as a Fan, I could try to request Him to sign something for You …let Me know

…it, of course depends if the line-up is too long and His availability …but let Me know if You want Me to obtain an autograph or anything as a momento for You

…if interested We can coordinate e-mails and addresses later

6. Habitant in Surrey says:

…grads in June, and teaching Him how to drive in preparation for His license

…thinking about joining the Army, which as a former Marine I am discouraging with subtlety :)

…but He has great head on His shoulders, and will figure it out

7. Habitant in Surrey says:

…time flies like a supersonic stealth fighter jet, does it not Frank ? :(

8. Habitant in Surrey says:

…by the way, for Y’all lotusheads on the wrong coast …Friday and Saturday in Abbotsford the Bulldogs will be playing the Heat 2 consecutive nights

…Frank Mahovolich will be attending Friday’s game to sign autographs

…taking My Son Quent to celebrate His 18th birthday

…necessary was a crash course to explain to Him what a ‘Frank Mahovolich’ is :)

9. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Myles Harvey ? …any relation to Doug ?

10. Bripro says:

So that’s it.
    No hockey tonight and with all the uncertainty around which poutine to go for, my wife doesn’t want to go out. So I’m cooking again.
    I know my home-made poutine will be good, because I’m cooking it.
    But it’s nice to have someone else cook for you sometimes.
    Even if it is stick-to-your-ribs-ultra-high-cholesterol food.

11. frontenac1 says:

What the hell happened to Markov”s face? He looks worse than me in the morning. At least I can blame it on the Booze. Yikes!

12. Danno says:

Coming soon – Davis Drewiske…

The other DD!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

13. Luke says:

So I went to the Madam Bolduc site that was posted below, and noticed one of my largest pet peeves:

Dear Restaurant Owners:

Please stop putting the beer taps and handles on the bar.

The should be behind the bar, against the wall with the liquor. They should not form a barrier between patrons and bartender.

Thanks.

To illustrate:
    The Crappy rest of the World. – Me – Bar – Work Space (hopefully occupied by a foxy bartenderette) – Taps.

• Rob says:

Could not disagree more. A barman needs to be able to pull pints (which they spend a good amount of the evening doing) while conversing/watching what’s happening in the bar.

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

14. Habfan17 says:

I am actually looking forward to the return of Drewiskie. From what I have read, his shoulder had been bothering him for four years. Now that it is fixed, we should see what he can do. Especially since both Boullion and Murray probably won’t be back next season!

Habfan17

• Bripro says:

Based solely on what he showed when he arrived last year, I’d rather have Murray, thanks.
      Drewiskie is supposed to be faster. But I think he forgot to turn the switch on.
      He was brutal.
      Not trying to be mean, but I was hoping he’d take the rest of the year off.

• Habfan17 says:

You never know, he may surprise us! I didn’t see much of him last season, but he looked okay in the one game I saw. Stating your opinion without being personal is not mean!

Habfan17

• Alvin says:

I hope that Murray is kept on. He has been playing much better of late and it is great to see the opposition fall down when they hit him.

Hmmmm this blogger seems to think the BlackHawks need to make some moves given their teams recent struggles in particular with their bottom pairing of defencemen.

Perhaps MB can put his snake oil salesman clothes on and present a freshly lipsticked Frankie B or Raphael Diaz to his former boss Stan Bowman?

16. Bripro says:

That’s quite the freeze-frame shot of Gallagher (the movie clip).
    He looks like he’s in need of a potty break. :)

17. Plekasuares says:

These outdoor games are no longer cool.

I think tonights will be extremely cool!

• Plekasuares says:

:) cool is generous. Freezing

• Bripro says:

And yet there are all kinds of complaints about the quality of the ice.
        Funny, no one complained about the ice in California.

California had the benefit of playing in the evening, seems the Sun is often the greatest enemy of the ice for these games. (Although I guess tonights game is also evening)

Tonights game being so cold could be extra injuries waiting to happen. If I am Rangers, I would be pissed my team has to play two of these games in 4 days. That is ridiculous.

• Bripro says:

Sure is.
            I would bet this is Sather’s doing.
            More money to throw away on bad management.

• Mattyleg says:

Also the warmer air meant that the surface of the ice stayed smooth, as it does in arenas. When it’s cold outside, the surface gets very chippy.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Mattyleg says:

I don’t really get it; do they get PGAers out on municipal courses to relive the youthful days they spent trying to get their balls out of waterlogged bunkers or putting on bumpy and pockmarked greens?

Imagine if the Premiership played a random regular-season game on a field behind a secondary school so the players could ‘enjoy’ the lumpiness of the ground, or the bare semicircle of gravelly dirt in the centre of the keeper’s area.

Sounds stupid, right?

Because it is!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Luke says:

I’d love to see top tour players on some hard as stone, short course, playing with a $300 non-custom set of clubs.

Make it a challenge. They show up, are handed $300 (or whatever, but not a lot) and sent to a box store to buy their clubs, balls & shoes (flip flops!!). No caddies.

Let us see how much better they are playing with very average gear on less than perfect fairways…

We’ll serve poutine and beers at the turnaround. Beer cart girl budget comes out of the $300 as well…

(but i digress…)

• Bripro says:

Why are you talking about golf, Matty?
        Have you been outside lately?
        … rubbing salt in the wound.

• frontenac1 says:

Pond hockey with the kids and your buddies is great. NHL? Forget it! Except that Cali game. That was ok. 18c, skimpy clothed cheerleaders,light show. Why not?

18. likehoy says:

so with all these rumours with Colorado..
    I say the only deal we make is Eller for O’Reilly straight up.

• CJ says:

I like O’Reilly buts that a huge contract. To qualify him as an RFA, you would need $7 million a year. I think that money could be better used somewhere else.

• Habfan17 says:

That would be my only issue with trading for him. It would make it hard to get other players under contract and Patches may not be happy!

Habfan17

• likehoy says:

To qualify, you need to pay 7 million, but if you can sign him to a multi-year deal at a more fair price of 5.5-6m/year then you’re fine!

• CJ says:

What makes it so risky is the arbitration element. He would get a one year deal for north of $7 million, then become a UFA the following year. That’s a major gamble.

I really like the player, but there is simply too much uncertainty to gamble via trade.

• Habfan17 says:

Not Eller! He would make a good winger for Eller! The Habs need big centres and Eller plays a solid two way game. If Therrien would leave him at centre, with two wingers to get used to, he would be better. I watched him last night, he was constantly covering in front of Price for the defencemen that were tied up and he broke up 3 plays that probably would have resulted in goals. He was strong on the puck and his line played pretty well.

Habfan17

• ABHabsfan says:

Eller was good last night, way better as a centre and I hope that was obvious to the coaches. When AG gets back to play on his wing with Bork on the right that is a good line. ( depending on Bork’s mood that day |I guess). 4th of Prust, Moen and Whitey was also very effective before White got injured. Briere can go shovel GMolson’s driveway or somethin’

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
        Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

19. bwoar says:

Wilde’s “Local Hero” column is timely, though nothing new, really. People have remarked on this for decades, franco and anglo fans lamenting the tendency to sign washed up Franco UFAs who claim to love the Habs, but only come at the end of their careers. Not new at all.

To me, it’s in the same ballpark of foolishness as requiring a coach to speak French. Last-century nonsense that panders to, well, the last century.

“thoroughbred”

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

The same principle applies to the Leafs historical signings of washed up homeboys culminated by Lindros/Allison? …

As for language, politics aside, would having a coach who could not communicate in English be well received in a similar fishbowl like Toronto … I say no.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

You bring up a good point, the Clarkson signing is perhaps in that ballpark given the amount of extra term and perhaps coin they were willing to give to the local Clarkson.

• bwoar says:

The best coaches in the league speak English. And some also happen to speak French as well.

How did the Leafs come into this though?

“thoroughbred”

• DipsyDoodler says:

Which other UFAs besides Briere though?

In 1992 we traded Chelios for Denis Savard (very bad) and Corson for Vincent Damphousse (very good).

But since then?

OK maybe Laraque.

• bwoar says:

Well, we know they went after Vinny this summer, for one.
        I’d place Darche in there, admittedly he wasn’t exactly a top signing.
        (They traded for) Tanguay, not UFA but up there for washouts in MTL.
        Joe Juneau, ugh
        Donald Audette
        Quintal, pt 2
        Yanic Perreault
        I won’t count Brisebois pt. 2, even though it fits. And hey, Boullion pt. 2 is in the same boat. Therrien…. eh never mind.

It seems like we’re the last stop, or very close it it, once Quebecois guys are ready to retire. At least they never signed Simon Gagne.

“thoroughbred”

20. mrhabby says:

Ryan Callahan being shopped by the Rangers. Any thoughts.

• Cal says:

Expensive for the Habs, but a contender would like him. He’s UFA in July, though. He does the gritty things and is as much of a leader as anyone for the Rangers.

• Habilis says:

My thoughts are that MB shouldn’t even consider it until P.K. is locked down for the next 8 years. Callahan will be mucho expensive.

That being said, he’s a very good hockey player in all 3 zones. I’d love to see him on the Habs. Heck of an upgrade over Gionta.

• bwoar says:

Wait until July 1. See if he’s not injured. 7 years in the league, 3 full seasons.

“thoroughbred”

I think that is exactly why the Rangers haven’t signed him yet. This is his chance to cash in on a big long term contract. Wonderful player, full of heart, determination etc… but a small framed guy playing in all the tough areas of the ice. Another injury prone season this year as well.

I would love him on the Habs, but just isn’t a very safe investment. And we are nowhere good enough this season to trade what it will take for him as a rental.

• CJ says:

I agree with both posts. 5’10” and plays like Mike Pecca. He, much like Clarkson and Clowe, haven’t much chance of playing a full season. He will want $6-$7 million for 7 years. Someone else can ante up. Great player, but not a fit.

• bwoar says:

He will make an awesome rental for Colorado once they trade PA Parenteau to Philly.

“thoroughbred”

• Luke says:

If Clarkson is worth 5.2 then Callahan, a consistent 20+ goal guy is worth 6… or more.

5’10 and 190.

He’s tough, but certainly not MOAR BIGGAR!

• JUST ME says:

The kind of player i would take anytime but mucho expensive… The thing is that if we want changes and quality changes we must be ready to pay the price either in $$$ or in players.
      Now go and read today`s comments and all the other ones posted in the last month and tell me that the fans are satisfied and do not want changes. Cause it`s a well known fact that we do not have negative fans and/or comments right ?

That being said it would be a big mistake (again) for the Rangers to consider trading that kind of athlete like when they traded Prust or,Dubinsky or…They prefer big names suitable for broadway but good for not much…

I don’t think anyone questions how good a player and valuable Callahan is, it is just the beating his body is taking. He and Prust together on Habs would be incredible, if somehow Prusty (see I know him well) could convince him to sign with Montreal for a reasonable term, sure. I just can’t see him not going for a 7 year type deal.

21. Habfan10912 says:

I can’t wait to see how excited Timo will be when he hears old Drewskie is near a return.

22. Luke says:

I love how we can argue about players and coaches and team… but if you really want a reaction, post about poutine.

23. Luke says:

HI/O always amuses me.

We can rage all day about language, Briere, Murray, DD, Therrien or whatever…but nothing gets the comments flowing like a discussion about Poutine.

So I was dipping my toes over at EOTP, and noticed a conversation they were having there regarding Briere. Apparantly there has been some rumour out there (and may have been alluded to during telecast yesterday) that the Briere signing was not a Bergevin move but rather a Molson induced signing.

• Mattyleg says:

Oooh!
      Curiouser and curiouser!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Luke says:

I can see it now. Cardboard cut outs at all the bars… Danny in his Habs jersey, holding an Export and a sign that says:

si vous regardez de plus que ce gars-là, vous avez certainement de montrer id.

If you look older than this guy, you definitely have to show ID.

• GrosBill says:

Did you give Murray any praise for last night while you were there (yikes!). I enjoy stats, theirs, Steve-o etc. But too much gets annoying.

Why even watch? I can take more away from the game by simply going over the stat sheets after, right?

I do visit the sight often, but the comments section I find much better here.

I also saw that in the comments. If that were true (hard for me to believe that), that would be discouraging news indeed.

• Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

Fits with what Brian Wilde had to say the other day…

To summarize: Briere’s signing was about enhancing the CH brand not the on-ice product.

(P.S. I know some folks here are not wild about Wilde but sometimes he says stuff that makes sense — like on this issue.)

• Habfan10912 says:

Good news? Bergevon didn’t make a huge mistake.
      Bad news? We have a menacing owner taking advantage if a rookie GM.

How should we view this?
      Or we could consider that these guys are just bloggers with no more inside info then any of us?

• bwoar says:

It’s always seemed that way. The move made no sense in the first place, contradicted the GMs stated intentions, and worst of all, anyone who’s watched hockey for a few years should be able to discern that Briere is no winger and that his time was rapidly coming to an end. I would like to be able to give MB credit for knowing his hockey a bit better, but, no one from the org would dare issue a statement on this one way or the other.

In any case, MB has to wear it – or hopefully fix it with a trade or buyout.

“thoroughbred”

• Strummer says:

“Dippinig your toes”?
      I’ll admit I go there at times.
      It’s interesting to get different points of view.

Anyway- I saw an exchange there on the weekend where a point was raised that Molson is the driver of the French language requirements for the team personnel because he’s worried his beer business in Quebec will suffer if he pursue that policy.

Interesting.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• Luke says:

I’m not saying it isn’t a consideration, but I’d have to think the link between sales of Molson products and the number of Francophones on the team is pretty tenious at best.

I also think that most patrons of the core beer brands (Molson, Coors, Labatt, Bud etc) are pretty loyal. I’d be surprised if someone started drinking Canadian because Habs signed Briere.
        Or would stop if they traded Leblanc.

And even if a few did… I doubt the numbers would be impactful or even noticeable.

It may help with marketing opportunities (see above).

• DipsyDoodler says:

Maybe Molson pressured Bergevin to sign him, but I wonder how marketable Danny B really is.

There’s a big difference between a Briere and say Vincent Lecavalier. Vinnie is a genuine (ex) superstar. Briere isn’t. He was a pretty good player, no more. I would guess he has less name recognition than Georges Laraque.

25. Plekasuares says:

Habs on a roll now lads, watch out for Michel Therriens Habs and that power forward Rene Bork! Whooooo

26. Lafleurguy says:

The NHL livechat in Stu’s link above is cool. First time I’ve posted on two blogsites at the same time.

“Bends but won’t break”

Neat, thanks for the reminder. You sure look a great deal like JohnBellyfull on the live chat though Andrew.

• Lafleurguy says:

Hey G.! I actually put my humor in the back pocket on that blog, just in case there are bloggers who don’t get it, or have little to no sense of humour. (Going to the ACC is always cool, and I find it less nerve-wracking when the Habs aren’t in town).

“Bends but won’t break”

Thankfully most of us here get your witticisms, noticed earlier today someone perhaps didn’t, was unfortunate.

I do enjoy going to any NHL game, but on a night when our boys are playing the Bruins, the last thing I wanted to do was watch Leafs/Panthers, but I shouldn’t complain, I am still getting a free night out while watching NHL players.

• Luke says:

I’m skipping Habs/Bruins tomorrow for the Erie Otters and McDavid. Figure I’ll see hime while I can still afford to.

I’ll record the Habs, but man… it’s just not the same.

• Habfan10912 says:

Saw that as well fellas. That guy is tough to figure out. Ego? Oh boy!

27. Bripro says:

@Shiram!

Off topic … last year you gave Jim and Chris the name of a poutine place in town, which only has a few tables.
    We’re used to our Gregoire’s in Mercier, but we’re heading into town, and since it’s “poutine week”, I thought perhaps you could provide the name and location of the place. . …. peeeez.

• johnnylarue says:

Best slightly-off-the-beaten-path poutine in town for me is Maman Bolduc (http://maammbolduc.com/fr/accueil)… and this was before I even knew they bragged about it on their website!

Seriously though, the real deal.

• shiram says:

Hehe Mister Larue’s got my back!
        Ma’am Bolduc’s got a better atmosphere, decor, and the waitress are cute.
        Chez Claudette is just a hole in the wall, but it feels cozy?

Out of both I think I prefered the poutine at Chez Claudette, but both are great.

• boing007 says:

There is a poutine resto on Ontario East, just east of Panet, called Poutineville. Give it a whirl.

Richard R

• shiram says:

Hmm not sure which one it is.
      Either of Chez Claudette or Ma’am Bolduc are good though.

• Habsrule1 says:

Madame Bolduc’s is very good….on Rachel Street I think…? It’s been years, but they are well known for it.

Shiram can probably give you a better answer though.

I love poutine…enjoy it!

Go Habs Go!!

• DipsyDoodler says:

La Banquise is the one on Rachel St. It’s schtick is that it has like 36 different kinds of poutine.

Maam Bolduc is alright but certainly not worth the trek out past Papineau.

I’ve said it before, Frite Alors (many locations) has really good poutine.

• johnnylarue says:

See, Frite Alors feels too… Belgian to me.

And La Banquise is the place to be post-2am for a preemptive hangover cure. Good poutine, but the draw is the variety of toppings/flavours and the late-night convenience.

Ma’am Bolduc to me is classic poutine for poutine purists.

• shiram says:

I’ve had varied experiences at Frites Alors!
          I would not say not to go there, but depending on the day and location you might get something that is sub-par.
          Also everytime I had their poutine the cheese was not squeaky, which is a big minus for any poutine.

My favorite place remains Chez Claudette.
          But Ma’am Bolduc delivers…

• Habsrule1 says:

I love how poutine brings us all together! I have had Bolduc and Banquise. I enjoyed them both. Now I tend to get my poutine at Jos Patate in Grenville, when I can.

Go Habs Go!!

• boing007 says:

M’am Bolduc is on Delorimier, corner of Marianne.

Richard R

• mrhabby says:

how are your arteries after that stuff. check ur cholesterol levels.

• shiram says:

It’s a wonder no one makes a remark about livers when people talk about drinking alcohol…
        AFAIK we are grown adults and know the effects of bad food.
        We can choose moderation if we like.

• Habsrule1 says:

Moderation is key…with basically any food or drink.

Go Habs Go!!

• johnnylarue says:

There have been numerous controlled scientific studies showing that the various cholesterols in fries, cheese, and gravy cancel each other out when consumed together.

So poutine is actually quite good for you, it turns out. In fact, throw a few blueberries on top and voila! Instant superfood.

• Bripro says:

Thanks everybody. I didn’t realize that there were so many Shirams on this site.
      Given we’ll have to cross the Mercier bridge, I’m feeling lazy and will probably take in Gregoire’s and their squeaky cheese. I’m not that strong on their dogs, though.
      And habby, not to worry. My wife was a nurse. And she might try to revive me, although I’m worth more dead than alive.

28. Sportfan says:

I wrote an article about the Big Money contracts in the MLB, NHL and NFL and how the way contracts are given out should be looked at. If you get a chance please check it out.

29. Sportfan says:

Drewiske skated with the team today, when he comes back which it seems like it could be after the break I hope MT gives him chances.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

So just to clarify Max Pacioretty does not need to play an aggressive physical game because it is not in his nature, but Douglas Murray is supposed to play a beautiful offensive fluid skating game because he is our 6th dman at present.

Weird how some players are expected to do all elements of the game, but others need only to concentrate on what they are specifically good at.

Especially the ones making less money on 1 year contracts, they really need to learn how to become All Star calibre players.

• Habsrule1 says:

To clarify, they are both who they are. In Max’s case, he may become better at back-checking, etc as he is still young. If he doesn’t he’ll just be a not so great defensivel forward who can score 30-40 goals. I’ll take it.

Murray is what he is. He clears the crease and does a decent job killing penalties….just what I like in my 6th defenseman.

Go Habs Go!!

I don’t think that is correct though, I read constantly that Murray should be spending off days skating with Barbara Underhill and learning how to use the toepick to his advantage. His current struggles with a simple toe loop jump are highly problematic when standing in front of the crease beating the snot out of Milan Lucic.

• Habsrule1 says:

I guess if you read it here, it’s true.

Price should really work on his one-timer. His goal drought is epic.

Go Habs Go!!

• Mattyleg says:

Correct.

I’d like to see Plekanec finally earn his wages and drop the gloves once in a while.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Bripro says:

One of life’s ironies, isn’t it Gerry?
      The rich get richer, the poor… working at digging ditches or standing out in the cold, or sitting in front of a mindless machine, making minimum wage.
      The wealthier athletes just keep on getting richer, while the bubble players make the minimum (I’d gladly take it), work their tuckus off, with no recognition.

• Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

Crashing and banging is not Max’s game. Personally, I don’t have a problem with that as long as he’s hard to knock off the puck — which he generally is. I do think his line needs a thumper in the mold of an Eric Cole (remember how good he was at that in his first year?). Gally does what he can–bless his bulldogged heart–but he’s just not built for it. Another couple of years doing what he’s doing and he’ll be done for.

31. B says:

This article says Bergevin is interested in Jamie McGinn from Colorado, not Parenteau:

–Go Habs Go!–

• CJ says:

I’m shocked the Ottawa Sun got something right. Bruce Garioch must be on holidays….

It should come as no surprise that McGinn was the target. I’ve been saying that since this rumour started. This is exactly the type of player this team needs. I wouldn’t take Parenteau for Parros. I don’t care what ETOP and their analysis says, in the playoffs games are won in the trenches. We need to get bigger.

• Eddie says:

So why would Colorado give McGinn in a trade? What don’t they like about him?

• CJ says:

Montreal wanted McGinn Eddie. The Av’s countered by offering Parenteau. I don’t imagine he comes without Montreal giving up a prospect. Colorado will not be willing to easily let him go.

Perhaps McGinn is looking for a big raise? Avalanche have tons of capspace, but have been frugal in recent years when handing out contracts. They need to re-sign O’Reilly, Varlamov and Stastny this off season also.

• Eddie says:

I like McGinn. But Roy would not give up a player like this without a fight, unless there is something about him or his game that I don’t know.

• Mattyleg says:

I don’t know anything about him.
          Looks like a slightly more effective Prust.
          Is that about right?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• CJ says:

Living in Ottawa, I watched him with the 67’s. He is a very strong player, adept in all three zones. He is a stronger skater then Prust and equally physical, however is not a fighter. He can fight, but it’s not part of his skill set. He helps create room on the ice for his line mates and is willing to engage opponents in puck battles.

This type of player will make a difference when the games get tighter. Jordan Nolan, Trevor Lewis, Kyle Clifford….these are the types of guys we need to compliment our skillful forwards. You can’t win if you become one dimensional. We need some mustard with our jam.

• Kooch7800 says:

Not a very reputable source in the Ottawa sun but that would make much more sense to the plan that MB is looking for. I would much prefer McQinn

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• mrhabby says:

Toronto SUN reporting it..It will never happen now.

32. Chuck says:

I wonder how many of the folks that are calling for a dumping of vets just so that we can ride the rookies for the rest of the season also complained about Price being rushed.

• Propwash says:

D’Agostini, Latendresse, to a lesser extent Patches, so on and so forth. Let our prospects develop properly.

____________________
      DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• Mattyleg says:

Hey, there’s no ‘consistency’ or ‘accountability’ in ‘HI/O’.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Chrisadiens says:

That’s a great point Chuck.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• jacquesthemonkey says:

That’s why you give playing time to the kids before deciding to trade away the vets. Also, it’s possible that some vets aren’t part of the Habs future plans irregardless of how the kids perform.

The important thing is that MB avoid letting UFAs walk with nothing in return.

• Habsrule1 says:

Irregardless is not a word.

Regardless of that, Chuck is probably right. The coaching staff likely sees that the kids are not ready and won’t be after a few games/minutes played in the NHL. Beaulieu may be the exception. He’s done pretty well.

That said, we can still trade some vets away for prospects & picks. We have an abundance of forwards, even in the NHL.

Go Habs Go!!

• Strabo says:

Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.” Albert Einstein

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Yeah and I wonder how many of the folks who pushed for not trading declining UFA veterans were ecstatic when the Habs drafted players like Max, de la Rose, Fucale (etc.) using picks obtain by trading declining UFA veterans. Give me a break…

33. Walmyr says:

D. Drewiske is close to return. So Canadiens will have this D:

1. Beaulieu (shoots left)
    2. Bouillon (shoots left)
    3. Diaz (shoots right)
    4. Drewiske (shoots left)
    5. Emelin (shoots left)
    6. Gorges (shoots left)
    7. Markov (shoots left)
    8. Murray (shoots left)
    9. Subban (shoots right)

And some of us (including myself) would like to see Pateryn (RD) and Tinordi (LD) on Canadiens rosters…

Mr. Bergevin, could you help me with this math?…or anyone?

• Mattyleg says:

As I mentioned last thread, Tinordi is struggling in Hamilton, so don’t hold your breath.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Walmyr says:

ok…one problem solved…

• CJ says:

Tinordi has been much better over the past few weeks, but he has not progressed the way the organization had hoped. He made the team out camp, but looked slow and positionally awkward. He is young and will play in the league. We can’t rush him right now though. Every time I see Jarod Cowan in Ottawa I think of Tinordi. I think Tinordi could be better, but that is essentially the type of player we have.

• monmick says:

Cowen has been a bit of a disappointment this year, but Ceci is lighting it up ( so far)…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• johnnylarue says:

I hear Ceci’s cousin Cela is the one to watch.

• CJ says:

Ceci and Beaulieu are very comparable. After a hot start, Ceci has cooled. They are really protecting the kid, giving him offensive zone starts and PP time. I like his game. I wouldn’t say he is any better then Beaulieu, but they are similar players. Both great skaters.

Cowan and Tinordi are also very close. Cowan, like Tinordi, has struggled, but it’s not uncommon for big defencemen to do so. Look at Victor Hedman. He is a totally new player this year. It takes longer for the big guys, but when they arrive they do so with a bang!

Larry Robinson was cut from the local jr. B team as a young man.

• monmick says:

Tyler Myers being another example, although I sometimes wonder whether he is ever going to “arrive”…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• Habs_101 says:

Its not much to get excited about… in fact there hasn’t been much to get excited about lately in habs land… but I have a small bit of hope in me that Drewiske will help the habs defensive depth. I honestly think Drewiske is capable of playing much better defensive hockey then Raphael Diaz and much better all around games than BOTH Boullion and Murray. If I were making our depth chart;

Subban
      Markov
      Georges
      Beaulieu
      Emelin
      Drewiske
      Diaz
      Murray
      Boullion

Given the was Georges and Emelin have played, I think Drewiske could potentially move up higher too.

This is aside from the fact that I agree with you, Tinordi and Patyern should both be in the lineup ahead of some of the veterans right now.

GO HABS GO!

34. DipsyDoodler says:

Two diametrically opposed opinions of Douglas “Tectonic Plates” Murray here and at EOTP.

I know everyone hates stats, but this one’s pretty simple, (hat tip to Andrew B at EOTP):

When Douglas “Don’t call Me Doug” Murray is on the ice (at 5 on 5) the other team scores over 1 goal per 20 minutes. However, the Habs score 0.23 goals per 20 minutes (that is a quarter of a goal) during that time.

He isn’t just the worst on the Habs by this measure, he is just about the worst in the entire league.

Think about this. The other team is 5 (Five) times more likely to score than the Habs are whenever Douglas “Zamboni” Murray is on the ice (at even strength). (BTW H I/O whipping boy Josh Gorges leads the Habs at 50/50 on this measure.)

• Propwash says:

That doesn’t say how many goals against he’s directly responsible for though.

____________________
      DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• Cal says:

We get it. You don’t like our most physical Dman because he’s slow. Acknowledging jerkimer over at EOTP doesn’t win your argument.
      The Habs need more physicality from the D. He gives that. And no, he’s not Ray Bourque or Larry Robinson.

• frontenac1 says:

Like I asked, over the last 5 games how many goals was he on the ice for? And on the “Stats” how many were his fault? I remember a couple of goals earlier on, where Murray was taking care of 2 guys on the boards, Diaz was behind the net watching and No forward picked up his man in the slot. That was on him I guess according to the “Stats”.

• DipsyDoodler says:

In the three games before yesterday he was on for 6 goals against.

I’m not going back further.

• GrosBill says:

True. But how many goals were scored total in those three games? Would sound worse if they only allowed 7 in those 3 games.

How much worse was he than others in those lopsided losses.

Subban & Markov were on for 3 (and -3 on the night) in just one of those games.

• Habsrule1 says:

That stat does not split his early difficulties with his recent play. What if he’s checking 2 guys out of the crease while the other D is doing much less?

Not a stat that impresses me. He’s done what he was brought in to do, especially in the last dozen games or so.

Go Habs Go!!

• CJ says:

I have no clue why our sixth defencemen who, incidentally, earns $1.5 million dollars is the subject of such analysis. Can you, or EOTP, bring me up to speed on Davis Drewiski?

Murray should be compared with his peer group. Guys like Joe Corvo or Patrick Weircoch in Ottawa, Mark Fraser in Toronto, etc.

• bwoar says:

Wow, you just crossed over into Steve-areno territory. Congrats!

“thoroughbred”

35. frontenac1 says:

Heads up amigos travelling 401. It’s closed at Napanee due to white outs and 75 vehicle pile up. Including 35 trucks.

36. sheds88 says:

That’s twice now i’ve heard knuckles say the word “sh!t ” on air.
    I wonder if he gets a stern talking to from TSN

37. Habitoban says:

You’d expect that the “worst defenceman” in the league, by some accounts here, would have a ton of penalty minutes from being hopelessly out of position all the time, or by being badly beaten by speedier more nimble opponents. But Murray is in fact the least penalized player on the team (not counting Beaulieu) and that’s despite doling out the 3rd highest number of hits. Now maybe he would get more holding calls if he could keep up with the other team’s forwards …, or maybe, just maybe, he knows how to get the job done.

• Habsrule1 says:

I think it’s about expectations with Murray. He’s doing what I expected of him….no more & no less.

Go Habs Go!!

• CJ says:

Fair value at $1.5 million dollars. Not sure what some folks wanted of expected.

• The_Truth says:

I like what Murray brings as a bottom pairing guy. He started off the season struggling, but I think he has played better as the season moves along and actually is getting some pretty big mins lately and not hurting the team.

He is a big physical guy who can be useful, despite his slow footspeed.

• New says:

I think the issue is jealousy. Many fans and the media recognize Doug’s other contribution to society. There is perhaps a bit of concealed resentment over the Uber Tap that not only frees your hands but can pump out eleven 12 oz cups per minute. The world could use more critical thinkers like Douglas Murray. I stand in awe.

TSN has just announced they have locked up the regional broadcast rights for the Ottawa Senators. I think that gives them Montreal, Winnipeg and Ottawa now. Toronto will probably remain split between themselves and ROgers I would guess.

Article mentions they have Vancouver’s as well.

• Habsrule1 says:

I’m glad they got the sens. As it stands I don’t get many sens games, and I like to switch to their game when watching the Habs…so I can watch them lose.

Go Habs Go!!

• Mattyleg says:

I still don’t understand how ‘regional blackouts’ work.

Why, for instance, can I not watch a Canucks game on SN West? It’s not like i could go to the game instead…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Luke says:

I thought this Rogers deal was putting an end to the regional blackouts and even local rights holders.

The more things change…

Just wrote an extensive long explanation and of course it didn’t post. So tired of that happening, why can’t the fricking Gazette tell us when a post can’t post. No I didn’t say John_son or Ban_ned in it either.

Edit: SHort answer
          Sportsnet has 3 or 4 nights/days a week (set days) which they have exclusive National rights. They can pick any games they want to show those nights and broadcast nationally. All other games played by teams on the remaining days of the week are considered regional games.

FYI – I am referencing the deal that kicks in next year, not the present deal.

At the current time, CBC has national rights on Saturdays and occasionally for Sunday games and a handful of days throughout the the rest of the season which they ask the NHL for permission to broadcast. TSN has Wednesday night National Rights.

• Ozmodiar says:

[nutshell]
        Sportsnet pays the NHL for regional broadcasts only, and are not allowed to broadcast nationally.
        Other regions can buy Center Ice if they want to watch more games.
        [/nutshell]

• mrhabby says:

you will starting next fall.

• Say Ash says:

I was going to bid on the rights to the Sens games as well but I bought a latte instead. I stand by my decision.

• CJ says:

Anything that spells the end to Denis Potvin’s broadcasting career I’m good with.

• veryhabby says:

Living in GTA, I will be cancelling my subscription to RDS next season as both Habs and Sens will be regional broadcasts. I live in Leaf’s region, so the screen will be black now when those games are hired.

Darn SN mega deal with NHL. Took away anyone across Canada able to watch RDS to now also have regional blackouts.

So it’s nice that TSN/RDS will still have some NHL games to show, but it will only be for those teams city and close areas.

• scamorza says:

seriously? i thought when RDS secured the rights that meant we can still watch the habs game in GTA? so the screen will be blank when a habs game is showing only in la belle province just like now when a canucks game is being played on sports net pacific? I may have to recall my curse on the laffs so that we can see the habs in fordville ( this came about about 10 years ago when seeing an islander leafs playoff game unfortunately “entertaining” clients – after the first period i saw they were showing the habs bruins playoff game in the hallway TVs. When the second period started some A^&&ole came and switched all the tvs to show the leafs game. So i ask the guy please switch it back and he says can’t MLSE policy and I said but if I wanted to watch the dang game i could just go back to my seat. I even tried negotiating to just keep one tv on to the habs game – but no – ergo my curse there and then that the leafs would never win another cup and gave the guy the mal occhio or evil eye. Then againthe leafs will never wn another cup w/o my curse)

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• mrhabby says:

get centre ice..????

39. Walmyr says:

The forward lines remained the same….so Parros will play against Bruins…this will be interesting…at least

• Habfan10912 says:

Yeah, he’ll play 4 minutes, get in a fight and the game will carry on. I just hope his brain can endure the punches to the head he’s taking all in the spirit of gamesmanship.

BTW – Congrats on your first! Well deserved sir. CHeers

40. Habfan10912 says:

@Habsguru re: Tampa game

Hi Habsguru. I was down there a couple of weeks ago. I went to the box office the afternoon of the game and got a lower level seat right at center ice for $86. The gentleman told me that single game seats are very easy to come by. Not sure how a request for multiple seats would have gone.

Also, I prepaid for parking at the Garage right next to the Forum. The box office was able to provide that as well. There was entertainment outside the main entrance before the game so you can arrive early and hang out if you so desire.

Its a nice building and you’ll have a good time. CHeers.

41. shiram says: