Habs make minor deal

The Canadiens have acquired right-winger Brett Engelhardt from the Detroit Red Wings in exchange for forward Francis Lemieux, the organization announced Friday.
Engelhardt, 27, played 42 games in the AHL this season, with Grand Rapids, scoring eight goals and 16 points. He has 52 goals and 121 points in 238 career AHL games.
Lemieux, 23, had six assists in 33 games with the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs this season. Lemieux, signed as a free agent by the Canadiens in December 2005, has never played an NHL game.

1. coutNY says:

I heard he won’t waive his NTC agreement that he wants to finish the Year in Ottawa…

Update: Nevermind I am guessing you notice that from the article heading.

2. Yeats says:

There are so many of the original crowd, really insightful people, who will no longer go near HIO with a stick and rubber gloves. Heck, I wonder why I even bother sometimes. You’re right, a lot of the horse-shit stuff gets really tired very quickly. Also, I have spent a fair portion of my life writing for a living. And, I can tell you that some of the text bricks that end up on HIO would never get by a decent editor. You want to inflict that stuff on the rest of us, please sell the movie rights, insert charts or start casting calls. If I want to read a f’n novel, I’ll buy one!

3. mjames says:

Gainey should be fired if he makes that Houssa trade.

mjames

4. Mike says:

Oh haha i misread your comment, i thought you said we should pick him up and i knew i read that someone has already. us lol

5. Revolution No. 9 says:

No one is going to bite on Huet unless there’s a new contract signed between now and the deadline. I’d be glad to be wrong but I can’t see it happening otherwise.

6. CH_fan_in_TO says:

Not sure…this is where I read it originally:

Canadiens Sign Free Agent Brock Trotter
    8th February, 2008 – 3:05 am
    RealGM Staff Report – Montreal Canadiens General Manager Bob Gainey announced today the signing of free agent centreman Brock Trotter to a three-year contract (2007-08 to 2009-10). As per club policy, financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed. He will report to the Hamilton Bulldogs on Friday.

In 2007-08 the 20-year-old Trotter played in 24 games with the University of Denver Pioneers, his third season with the NCAA team. He led the team with 31 points in 24 games (13 goals, 18 assists), and registered 18 penalty minutes.

The 5’10’, 180-pound forward native of Brandon, Manitoba led the Pioneers in scoring with 40 points in 40 games in 2006-07 (16 goals, 24 assists). He registered 76 points (32 goals, 44 assists) and 42 penalty minutes in three seasons with Denver (79 games).

7. Yeats says:

If we were that smart, we’d be managing the team. We just comment on what we see on the ice. Your two eyes are no better or worse than mine. (Yours are probably better, but I can’t admit that, at least publically.) Even when I disagree with another poster, I hope I am never dismissive. It’s never, never personal. Sometimes, HIO turns into a bloody passion play. And, they wonder why some of the the original, insightful posters have bolted for other pastures?

8. Yeats says:

This deal is a cracker and undoutedly changes the odds of the Habs winning the Cup dramatically. Heading out to buy a case of silver polish right now.

9. cautiousoptimist says:

Tommy,

You’re right of course, that you need to give talent to get talent. I guess my main issue is that we’d be giving so much for just a couple of months of returns. If he’s signed for three years, well that changes things… But dealing a future captain, a much-needed physical, defensive-minded d-man and a 1st round pick for three months of razzle dazzle just sounds like mortgaging the house for an (admittedly nice) Cuban vacation. If we do this, we’re a much worse team in September than we are now.

-mark

10. sidhu says:

I was at the game when the Ribeiro trade was announced, there were oohhs and aahhs for that trade. Imagine how the crowd would react to a Hossa deal.

I like Higgins a lot, I hope he is not traded, but I understand you have to give up something good to get something good. I don’t like the idea of giving up both Higgy and OB – if Higgy has to go, I’d rather give up Fischer (a 1st rounder, but he’s apparently not playing all that great).

11. Mike says:

Wasn’t he already picked up by someone. I may be mistaken

12. Mike says:

Instead of price, think huet.

13. Moey says:

Fair enough, but it’s a safe bet, I’m undefeated.

14. nightmare_49 says:

If you were selling one of your top assets would you want to do it right away so that the return can gel or would you wait to see if one team would panic (Waddell should know) and offer the farm. Our goaltending depth is fine and our defense prospects are numerous but will not be ready for a few years and we should be looking for a big veteran stay at home “D” man (low cost) to bandaid that gap as long as it’s not Daryl Sydor whose game has gone south. Maybe Alexis Emelin next year. Our depth at forward is thin and should also be addressed but at what cost. I’ve changed my mind on Waddell keeping Hossa for the playoff run cuz he badly needs to build up his team for the future then use Hossa’s money in the free agent market. I’m rambling and i’m out of here.

15. cautiousoptimist says:

Don’t be surprised if Price goes at the deadline, packaged with Ryder and/or Dandy – Gainey has done a great job of whipping up a frenzy in the media and around the league about how Price is the second coming. Huet is top 5 or 6 in the league right now, while Price may be in two or three years. We’re drowning in medium-term potential, Huet is on fire, and Gainey calls up Price three weeks before the deadline. Is he just resting a goalie who shows no signs of being tired, or is he showcasing the goods just in time for a deal? Erik Cole has had a Ryder-esque year, and a team like Carolina might be looking to deal for a goalie, since Ward and Grahame haven’t been getting it done despite a decent defensive corps. Cole is a rare +4 on a lousy Hurricanes team, has another year on his contract.

Also, Washington’s Kolzig has the worst save % in the league… They’ve got to be looking to upgrade there. Not much to trade away though… Semin and Green?

16. CH_fan_in_TO says:

Trotter could be a good pick-up down the road or decent trade bait….was ranked as the # 7 NCAA prospect by HF heading into last years draft…Don’t forget that Penner was a FA coming out of Uni…..

7. Brock Trotter, C
    Redshirted Freshman, University of Denver
    5’10 170 lbs.
    DOB: 9/18/87 Shoots: Right
    NHL Central Scouting final ranking: N/A

2006-07 season: A year after suffering a season-ending Achilles tendon injury, Brock Trotter emerged as a better, wiser and more appreciative player. The Brandon, MB native led the Pioneers with 40 points (16 goals, 24 assists) playing in all 40 games this season. His 24 assists also led the team. He was the first freshman to lead Denver in scoring in two decades. Trotter’s stellar season earned him the team’s Leading Scorer and “Star of the Year” awards.

Talent Analysis: Trotter is an instinctive, multi-dimensional player who is equally adept in both offensive and defensive situations. He possesses great vision, awareness and anticipation, and utilizes those attributes effectively regardless of where he is on the ice. While Trotter is not an overly physical player, he has the capability to deliver some pretty solid checks. One of Trotter’s greatest assets are his hands, whether it’s in making nice tape-to-tape passes or keeping the puck on his stick. Continuing to add size and strength should help to not only make Trotter tougher to play against but also add power to his quickness and speed.

Denver head coach George Gwozdecky’s comments on Trotter: “After sitting out a year, Brock was starting over again in many ways, especially in his timing and confidence. He is the kind of athlete, not only physically but also intelligence-wise, where he picked it up again pretty quickly. We’re very fortunate that Brock has the skills and the attitude that makes him as good in our own zone as he is the offensive zone and that’s kind of player that you can build around.”

17. TommyB says:

As long as it is the word on the street and not the word around the track. I don’t trust “horse people” (with some exceptions), at least not with my money! LOL

18. sidhu says:

Tell you what, I’ll agree to stake out Club Super Sexe to ascertain whether any GMs, scouts, or players are in town. I will be there for my love of the Habs, not for any other reason.

19. sidhu says:

Debbie Downer!

20. Moey says:

Minor indeed, how disrespectful to the horsey set!! Word on the street is Hossa to Montreal, to be announced on Saturday before the Sens game.

21. ebk says:

excellent post Tommy B.

22. drecha says:

Nice list, Looks like it should be a good time, suprised that Cherry is not on that list, see if you can get Nilan and Probert to drop the gloves, my money is on Probert.

The tank is full, now let’s map the route for the drive to 25!!

23. TommyB says:

KILLJOY !!!

24. krob1000 says:

FUN STOMPER

25. drecha says:

The tank is full, now let’s map the route for the drive to 25!!

26. krob1000 says:

lol

What we need is Canadiens Paparazzi getting photos everytime Gainey talks on his phone. This weekend is like an old Habs reunion here in Kingston as our annual Feb fest is going on check out someof the guys coming to town.

I think Muller and Gilmour will b eworking on something….
    Sundin???Kaberle??? I’ll see if I can get a photo of them shaking hands and drum up some controversy when were slow next week.

27. TommyB says:

I’m not saying I want to see this trade…but…Hossa, with a better cast of skilled players around him, could easily add a dozen goals to his yearly totals.

It’s always tough to give away players we have who have a decent skill-set, or potential for the future. Reality is, we can’t swap a bunch of our lesser-skilled or unproductive players for any real gems. Sometimes swapping skill for skill works out better for both teams. Different chemistry.

There are players I don’t want to see leave Montreal. Higgins and O’Byrne are two of them. If it should happen…then, good luck guys and hello to the new guy. Let’s see what you can do for us. I’ve seen many good players traded from Montreal in my time…but guess what…I’ve seen plenty of Stanley Cups carried around the rink by our captains. I get a feeling, I’d get over it.

28. krob1000 says:

There is absolutely no doubt that Gainey is looking at several of the players being floated about in the rumours (some likely more seriously then others but I am sure h e haas plans a-z all ready). IF prices are too high he may not dio it but that doesn’t mean he isn’t trying. Ryder sitting after the Isles game was the point at which I became convinced we were on the verge of something and all of the other things yu are mentioning just fuel the fire. Many would like us to stay the way we are and grow from within but we need help up front and we have none of that within. Anyone who can contribute is already doing so. OUr depth on defense and goaltending is ridiculous but up front we are thin. Something is coming down the pipe but we might have to keep waiting right up until the deadline (I hope not). The sooner something is done the sooner guys can gel.

29. nightmare_49 says:

Nice try , they signed that center as a free agent and added Engelhardt mainly cuz the Bulldogs have had trouble scoring.

30. Robert L says:

There was a rumour floating that Montreal had permission to negotiate a contract with Hossa in light of a prospective trade.

Habs Have Hots For Hossa

31. drecha says:

I just find it amusing. A trade like this would not get noticed in 29 other NHL markets. It happens in Montreal and it may be the spark that ingnites the fire!! Only us Habs fans!! We are one of a kind!!

Wow Krob, I guess you were right, I did stomp the fun!! Sorry about that.

The tank is full, now let’s map the route for the drive to 25!!

32. RH says:

Depends on who’s writing the article for SI. Anything from former Montreal Gazette columnist, Michael Farber is always good.

33. cautiousoptimist says:

Crazy – Hossa only has 23 goals this year. Why would we give up a not-so-distant future 30-goaler and a solid D-man for a guy who’s good for 35 goals in a good year, and who will pot us maybe 10 more goals before he can sign elsewhere?

34. TommyB says:

krob, we could all be so totally wrong…but it sure does smell like a trade is coming our way soon. Too many trade-like things going on. Ryder, healthy but sitting (regardless of how Carbs views him, we had players out of the lineup last night where Ryder could have taken a spot), these “minor” signings, Halak back to the “A” and Price back in Montreal, and not to mention all the ink in nearly every publication, including internet and TV sports shows, that speculates Montreal is set to make a move.

Can everybody be pi%$ing into the wind? We know we have a problem with just one line doing the scoring now, and going back all the way to the start of the year, we knew we still had some pieces missing. I think something will happen, but what? Gainey knows the answer, but as usual he ain’t talking. I don’t want to sit down to a poker table with Bob.

35. coutNY says:

To the glue factory with them! Just kidding to those who sport a mane!

36. krob1000 says:

There was nearly two hours of near silence on here earlier and you come out with that kind of fun stomping, logical explanation….lol.

37. Yeats says:

You wonder if he might benefit from a week or two off to collect and refocus himself. Heck, isn’t that in effect what Scott Niedermayer and Teemu Selanne rigged up for themselves. As they would have said about Dick Nixon, come back tan, rested and ready!

38. coutNY says:

Toss in Engleburt since we don’t have the room!LOL

39. showey47 says:

Saku would greatly benefit with having 2 big, physical wingers having one who could snipe would be a bonus. Saku looks worn down, maybe he is hurt, maybe he is fed up with the who language crap or maybe the long list of injuries and illnesses have finally caught up to him. He looks like he has lost 2 steps and losses puck battles down low he used to win, his playmaking which has been his bread and butter has even seem to have deminished. I will go as far as saying that when his contract expires next season he may very well hang them up.

40. Yeats says:

It’s sort of like Socrates. The first step in becoming a knowledgible fan is to just come to grips with the fact that you are not running the team and you are probably full of poop over half of the time. Heck, sometimes I post stuff just to watch the fur fly. Sort of the posting eqivalent of Sean Avery. I do use profanity once in a while, but I don’t intentionally try to offend people. I just like to give them the ole Koivu stick tweak.

41. drecha says:

Let’s be realistic, this is a trade between Hamilton and Grand Rapids, not between Montreal and Detroit.

The tank is full, now let’s map the route for the drive to 25!!

42. Ed says:

I know this will be deleted, but look at the heading “Habs mane minor deal”. I hope this has nothing to do with Moey or any other poster who uses a picture of a horse, but horses do have manes, and a mane is not a minor deal to those posters. :)

43. Yeats says:

I am squarely in your camp. Just think how they have destroyed the one potential sniper they had, Ryder, by asking him to change his game. He had as much right if not more to be in last night’s lineup than Koivu, Higgins and others who suited up. When a playoff spot was on the line in the last game of the ’06-’07 season in TO, Ryder turned in one of the most memorable performances by any Hab in recent memory. He got a hat trick! When was the last time Saks got one? Crap, has Higgins EVER got one?

44. cautiousoptimist says:

Boo to that – a future captain, big-solid d-man and a 1st-round pick for a few months of Hossa? Maybe Ryder, Dandy and a pick.

45. Steiner says:

TSN reported it as well ;)

46. cautiousoptimist says:

Seriously – tough crowd. By anyone’s standards, 2nd in the East is pretty darn impressive. 13 teams out of 15 would love to trade places with us. Gainey has slowly but surely built a contender out of draft picks and the occasional biggish trade. Why doubt him now?

In Bob we trust!

47. TommyB says:

I know, my point is Lemieux for Englehardt is a one for one…so it doesn’t create room if Englehardt is reporting to Hamilton. I guess we are all just randomly trying to get into Gainey’s mindset right now…good luck! lol

48. krob1000 says:

We signed a smallish center today ….could this mean one of our centres or forwards on the farm is part of a package deal????? Who knows could all be nothing. These are some intense times with all the speculation about Hossa, etc. Every little move is gonna have us wondering.

49. ebk says:

He needs to play better, no doubt. I think he will.

One day when we settle up all the pints you owe me, we can laugh at all the bullshit posted here. Mostly my posts :)

50. krob1000 says:

No….. we just sent OB down and signed Brock Trotter and he is reporting to Hamilton today. 2 for 1 maybe there is no room (I don’t follow Hamilton closely enough).

51. kenny_galloway says:

will he b in da lineup tmr

52. TommyB says:

Sports Illustrated is not the magazine I would go to first if I was looking for hockey information. Now, if I was looking for the latest in ladie’s swimsuits…..

53. TommyB says:

Are you suggesting Englehardt will play with the big club?

54. sidhu says:

From Sports Illustrated – possible deals:

Atlanta sends Marian Hossa to Montreal for Chris Higgins, Ryan O’Byrne and 2008 first rounder

Montreal sends Michael Ryder to Edmonton for Jarrett Stoll

55. Yeats says:

The above was directed at ole #12, but I don’t feel I’m battling with anyone tonight, except maybe myself. On second thought, maybe I was sending one across the bow of the Koivu Lusters.

56. Yeats says:

I have no problem with criticism, even of myself, if it is fair. Heck, if I was that smart, I would have ended up behind the bench of a team and not have ended up being an economist. (We do have way more personality that accountants though. [Please don't let my wife see that last statement.])

For example, I was very critical of the way Huet was playing this year. But, after his collision with the Hammer against ATL, he has been rock solid. (I still think he goes down way too early sometimes.) The only things I have problems with are either groundless optimism or endless criticism. Like Fox News, I prefer to be fair and balanced!

57. krob1000 says:

This is probably to make room for Brock Trotter on the Bulldogs.

58. ebk says:

who you having a battle with Yeats?

59. Yeats says:

I think that if you could put Saks between a one big winger and a sniper, he could be very effective. I have no idea who on the current roster could be considered a sniper though.

I agree entirely with your earlier posts that he seems disinterested. There is something wrong with Koivu this year and his BS penalties are probably a function of whatever is amiss. Unfortunately, I fear we will never know the nature of the problem until it’s too late for all of us: the team, Koivu and the fans.

60. Habsrule1 says:

You guys sound like you’re just kidding, but it’s unbelievable that we’re in SECOND PLACE in the conference, and people are still not happy with Carbo.

We can win the Stanley Cup Final in 6 games, and people will sh!t on Carbo cause we should have won in 4!

Go Habs Go!!

Habsrule

61. showey47 says:

It would be interesting no doubt, his work ethic alone and forechecking would probably eliminate some of saku’s o-zone penalties since saku won’t have to do so much dirty work in the corners. He also loves to go hard to the net, could be a poor man’s ryan smyth though he was never a big goal scorer in junior or in the ahl. It may work with someone like higgins on the other wing

62. Yeats says:

That would be a good trio. I was toying with the idea of Laps playing on the wing with him. What do you think?

63. Yeats says:

Be fair. I have been pretty critical of him on a regular basis all year. Even when the team has been performing well, he has been a bit player at best. And, you know what I think of the penalties he takes. I never get on or get off of bandwagons. I’ve been a fan of the team for a very long time and had the good fortune to be in the Forum when they won in in ’93. Not you, but others on this site think that any criticism leveled at the team or, God forbid Koivu, is the equivalent of blasphemy. Go ahead, issue your fatwa. I’m pissing in my pants.

64. showey47 says:

I think he would look pretty good playing between teemu and bertuzzi in anaheim. Thats my opinion anyway.

65. Yeats says:

As they said on the Puckcast, who would want Koivu? He is the missing piece to what puzzel, The Titanic?

66. Yeats says:

You caught me with a mouth full of beer. No fair! It almost came out my nose.

67. mrstewart61 says:

Hossa for Emelin, Perezhogin rights, Grabovsky, Ryder, Halak and a conditional first(signing Hossa). :)

68. mrstewart61 says:

Higgins rookie year, 23 goals in 80 games, last year, 22 in 61, on pace this year for 24 goals. I guess he IS lucky.

69. habsgod says:

what are you guys hereing?does anyone think that we will get hossa or is this just a pipe dream?if we do when do you think it will be offical and announced?i’d like it personally i think it would rejuvinate koivu!and it would make us a well rounded team and a very dangerous team we’d be scary!

70. New says:

I agree with you.
    Goal is a very important position.
    Price and Halek have more potential than Huet.
    Huet has never come up big.
    Huet has more money.
    Many fans want to give him even more.

Go figure.

71. The Teacher says:

Great post!

I totally agree with the fact that he needs to have played in more games then her currently has been able to.

Huet is a good goalie, so he has to get a good salary, not a top-notch one.

72. HJ says:

to get Hossa, I would trade Koivu in the blink of an eye.
    As far as Higgins is concerned, he’s more of a Carbonneau type of player,defensive type, who can’t score. He will NEVER EVER EVER score 30 goals in the NHL. Are you kidding? he’ll be damn lucky to score 20. If he’s traded for a Hossa type of player, I won’t shed a tear! habs have many Higgins type players(4th liners), so we don’t need another. Throw them all out and get a true goal scorer!
    Oh, BTW, habs will lose tomorrow. In fact they’ll be bombed!
    Hamrlik out, and BRuseshit (coughthepuckup) is in. we never win with Brisecrap in the lineup. Saturday 11pm-5 points back of Ottawa!

73. A. Berke says:

Hai!

Do you think an electric pillow will do the trick as butt warmer?

Ali B.

74. A. Berke says:

I beg to differ from your opinion of Huet staying and Price being traded or Huet’s place in the league (top 5 or 6).

In order to be called a premier NHL goalie one has to start about 65 to 75 games a season (not less) and show reliable and consistent performance for most of the time. Until Huet can do that he is not a top drawer goalie. Period.

Luongo, Brodeur, DiPietro, Kiprusoff, Giguere, Nabokov and others that I couldn’t remember right now, are First string NHL goalies. Even though they all have slumps and occasional problems.

It’s not really the save percentage or goal against numbers either, it’s the number of games that they start and play with a reliable performance.

Huet is a good goalie but can not be considered great by the league demands and standards (hasn’t won or even excelled in a playoff run, or carried a team brilliantly for a 65+ starts, seems to buckle under high pressure etc.). Until he does, he’ll be considered by scouts as a good goalie.

From this perspective, IMO, Price is the longterm goalie that Gainey will keep. Huet may be around for a year or two (unless traded sooner) to help mentor Price. If Huet demands a high salary in a new contract, then we can count him as GONE.

If your goalie (i.e. Huet) can only play so many games and shows inconsistencies along the way, then the team has to have an equally strong second goalie but such a combination will become very costly if your first goalie demands a high salary (any team’s top total goalie payroll should not exceed 7 or so mill per, otherwise there won’t be any money left for other players.

cheers,

Ali B.

75. coutNY says:

Looks like we found our next linemate for Koivu… Will we see him on Saturday?

76. sidhu says:

New first line for Carbo:
    Engelbert Humperdinck-Koivu-Halak

77. showey47 says:

no i think brisebois is gonna be the next linemate, even joking about it makes my stomach turn

78. mbplekfan says:

27 year old career minor leaguer.

6-2, 210

big whoop.

79. Cable Guy says:

This is what we need to put us over the top! LOL

80. coutNY says:

Too me it looks like we’re gearing up for a trade… adding depth to replace a few prospect moves..UMMH? Anyone?
    Or just moving sh@#t around??? who KNows…

81. mbplekfan says:

Depth, plain and simple.

Someone who can log minutes in the event of injuries at the big club.

Or depth for when they trade a bunch of spare parts away.

82. TommyB says:

Have to hope you are right, that we are setting up a trade, I don’t see where this guy addresses any immediate needs on the Habs. I went to the AHL site and noticed that Lemieux was off the Hamilton roster and now on the Grand Rapids roster, but curiously, Englehardt had not been added to the Hamilton roster and yet was removed from the Grand Rapids roster. Maybe the deal is too fresh and the Hamilton roster has not been updated? But, Lemieux was removed? Who knows what this trade means. He may be a Hab “on paper” for merely days…or, hours. Stranger things have happened.

Looks like Bob is doing some light housekeeping, in preparation for something more meaningful…roster-wise.

83. drecha says:

They are trying to save cost. I heard Engelhardt still has 14 sticks left for this season, Lemieux only has 5. Huge cost savings!!!

The tank is full, now let’s map the route for the drive to 25!!

84. Da Hema says:

:-)
    _________________________________________
    “It’s not a lie if you believe it.”
    –George Costanza, “Seinfeld”

85. coutNY says:

Hey Sidhu ~ (noticed your profile) I use to live in Phoenix… The Place is great if you like sun and you leave during the Summer months!

86. sidhu says:

Yeah I’m here for another six months on a temporary job – I’ll be back on the east coast after that.

PHX is a great city, I can see why Jovo and others build houses here and don’t want to move.

87. coutNY says:

What area you stationed?

88. sidhu says:

I’m in central PHX, but home is DC.

89. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

great post!
    ———
    1. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev…..at his PRIME
    2. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    3. Your’re not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”
    4. We will win the CUP in 2009

90. coutNY says:

I use to work Downtown in Phx… not much to it.
    DC is a great city… from what I seen of it.

91. showey47 says:

yeah, la presse will never be happy until every players last name ends with any of the following: tier,eault,esse,ieux,eaux,JC petit,eon,eau….etc. Why can’t those idiots just show some support for once. But i guess controversy equals selling papers.

92. coutNY says:

He is no use to us this at the Big club because at his age he would need to pass through waivers (Thanks to the wonderful CBA)… and I don’t think we would risk that??? to give up a prospect for nothing middle of the year?

93. ZepFan2 says: