Habs lose 6-2: Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Carey Price | Jaro Spacek | Jacques Martin English and French

Goaltender Carey Price suffered a meltdown late in the second period and the Ottawa Senators rallied to beat the Canadiens, 6-2.

Price was having a good night until he surrendered a suspect goal to Jason Spezza at 15:33 of the second period. Price failed to seal off the post when Spezza launched a shot along the goalline. The puck struck Price’s leg and went in on the short side.

That tied the game at 2-2 and the Senators would add two more goals before the period was over.

The Canadiens missed a chance to regain the lead at 16:02 when Ben Maxwell was awarded a penalty shot after he was tripped up by Matt Carkner but Ottawa goaltender Brian Elliott made the save.

Nick Foligno managed to get behind the Canadiens’ defence to beat Price on a power play at 18:32 to break the deadlock and Bobby Butler scored on a penalty shot at 19:25. He was given a chance for the freebie after he was run down from behind by Josh Gorges.

Price, who is being counted on to be the Canadiens’ No. 1 goaltender in the coming season, gave up another goal to Spezza midway the third period while Foligno scorerd his second at 17:11 after turning Jaroslav Spacek inside out.  Price allowed six goals on  30 shots last night and has surrendered 10 goals on 39 shots in his two preseason appearances. That translates into a 6.67  goals-against average with a save percentage of .743. Those are not good numbers.

The Canadiens had taken a 2-1 lead at 2:55 of the second period when Tomas Plekanec took a pass from Benoit Pouliot  and beat Spezza to the other end of the ice where he beat Brian Elliott.  The Senators missed an opportunity to match that goal two minutes when Price left a rebound during a Senators power play but Gorges lent a helping hand and stopped a shot by Spezza.

The Canadiens squandered some power-play opportunities in the period. They went 0-for-4, including a 5-on-3 advantage for two minutes.

The teams exchanged power-play goals in the first period.

The Canadiens struck first when Maxwell beat  Elliott with a shot off the rush from inside the left faceoff circle at 1:54. The Canadiens came up empty on three power-plays, including a two-man advantage for 36 seconds.

Ottawa got that one back when Chris Neil was credited with the goal when Mike Hoffman’s shot when through a maze of bodies in front of the net and found its way behind  Price.

The Canadiens lost the battle of special teams. They had one power-play goal on nine opportunities while the Senators went 3-for-7.

The Canadiens are back in action at the Bell Centre Sunday night at 7 against the Minnesota Wild while the Florida Panthers are the visitors on Monday. Montreal wraps up its preseason schedule with games Thursday at home against Buffalo and Saturday when they meet the New York Islanders in Quebec City.

The Wild will arrive in Montreal without goaltender Josh Harding. He suffered damage to both his ACL and MCL ligaments Saturday night and will likely miss the entire season.

1. megagoten says:

that “jason speza” totally took your breath away, didn’t he?

2. Clay4bc says:

Well, I agree with the post – but you already knew that, didn’t you…?

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.

— George Orwell —

3. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

There’s no apostrophe in “comments”. Hope that helps. I think you’re doing great.

4. sholi2000.com says:

It’s pre season.  When he fails with the team in front of him playing for the win then I’ll be worried.

They Call Me Shane

5. observer says:

for once i agree with you. this price was an excellent goalie who gainey has mishandled and ruined for at least here. and right from early on by trading huet which immediately put the kid then under the first immense pressure here pressure that now is even worse here after gauthiers trade of halak.

6. adam76 says:

I for one, am worried.  This is the best team in 5 seasons – yet the most important position is failing hardcore.  How does that not worry you?

7. 4loorplay says:

cary should be sent to Hamilton and earn a starting job there first before he can come back up

8. baruch says:

Anyone who watched last night’s game will agree, Elliot made the big saves and Price, again, did not. It was the same story for the Boston game. If my son says “I kinda lost my focus after that bad goal” I guess I would be understanding, but I would still wonder how serious he is about continuing to be a professional hockey player. However, when I pay to see the Canadiens, I want to see skill, strategy and performance, not to sit there wondering what is going through any particular player’s head.

I am as tired of this debate as most, and I truly want Price to prove all the doubters wrong ASAP.  But if he is not going to take every game seriously, as seriously as we the fans do, he should have the common decency to go on some psychological IR for a while and allow us to cheer for a team we can believe in.

9. nightmare_49 says:

Boucher’s legacy – Arpon Basu – Daily Hab-it:

Though Guy Boucher and his entire Hamilton staff are in Tampa Bay this season, there remain numerous vestiges of his one year within the Canadiens organization that remain.

10. Captain aHab says:

Yeah cause the game story certainly wasn’t Spacek crapping the bed all night long and Tinordi getting an assist on the Spezza goal. At least, Tinordi has inexperience as an excuse. Price wasn’t great but he was far from the story.

11. nightmare_49 says:

Brookie’s Sunday Slap Shots:

Rangers waive goodbye to Redden

by Larry Brooks

With Marc Staal, Dan Girardi, Michael Del Zotto and Rozsival ensconced as the top four, the battle for the final two or three blue line spots will be contested among incumbent Matt Gilroy, rookie pro ‘Ryan McDonagh’, tryouts Alexei Semenov and Garnet Exelby and rookies ‘Pavel Valentenko’ and Michael Sauer.

12. adam76 says:

Sorry – 2 am is not the best environment for proper spelling.

Any comment’s on my actual post?

13. nightmare_49 says:

Steve Simmon’s Sunday rant is breief this weekas far as the NHL is concerned, which will make some people happy:

– The New York Rangers missed an opportunity Saturday. They placed defenceman Wade Redden on waivers. They should have done the same for the retired but still working general manager, Glen Sather

–  The once highly touted John McFarland didn’t even get into an exhibition game with the Florida Panthers before being sent back to junior. Wonder who his rather active parents blame for that.

– Carey Price can control his own environment. All he has to do is play well and the Montreal fans will stop booing

Read more of his sports rant:  http://www.torontosun.com/sports/columnists/steve_simmons/2010/09/25/15477146.html

14. sholi2000.com says:

I refuse to get excited about pre season.  Its fun to watch the kids play though.

They Call Me Shane

15. The Cat says:

One has to wonder if itll ever be possible for Price to feel loosy goosy in Montreal. Im skeptical and it was Gaineys fault.

16. gauver says:

I think that he would still want to perform at a high level if he wanted to be traded; he would need to do so in order to drive demand for his services.

I think that he is struggling to manage the weight of expectations.  I was hoping for a strong start so that he could get his doubters off his back and on his side.  Now, however, I am worried about the season.

17. BJ says:

Last nights Montreal A team really had a C performance. Other than Maxwell’s effort along with “Steady Pleky” and Gorges there was not much to cheer about. Weber and Spacek were disappointments. And no one of the young guys are ready to make the jump.

The B team that beat Ottawa 4-2 the previous night has a lot more upside to it. Hopefully the combination of the B and A will give A+. But goaltending is a concern until Price gains his confidence back if thats what the problem is, hoping its not talent as despite all the assumptions that he has size and talent it hasn’t proven out for quite a while.

18. BJ says:

Hopefully we don’t see in the coming months the headline “Montreal Canadiens trade with Avangard Omsk for goalie Karri Ramo”. After watching last nights game; leading 2-1 and Price giving up a bad goal you saw the whole team reverse its momentum to a 6-2 loss, I really wonder if this goalie has what it takes not only to play in Montreal but in the NHL. A couple of comments by posters here at HIO have correctly pointed out that the skid has been going on since 2009. Its all well and fine to be working hard in practice and being a good team-mate but……. Even though the players are saying they are fully behind Price and believe in him, last nights reaction seems to indicate the contrary. When a goalie really has his teams confidence and lets a bad one in the guys pick it up to get it back. In Price’s case it seems as if the unconscious reaction is he let a bad one in, lets play on our heels he may let others in. I hope Price is correct in not worrying about the fact that these are pre-season games. I’m not particularly confident for the season opener in Toronto as it may dictate how we will perform as a team with Price in nets. I am not a Price basher or an ex Halak supporter, I’m a concerned Montreal Canadiens fan that will hopefully watch 82 games plus playoffs being entertained the way we were in May-June of 2010.

19. observer says:

YEAH RIGHT! Great improvement – instead of 4 goals on 9 shots he now allows just 6 goals on 29 or 30 shots.

20. observer says:

kid? they expect seguin to be a top player this year and he was drafted 3 months ago. price was drafted FIVE YEARS 3 MONTHS AGO – stop calling him a “kid” when 18 year olds immediately can and do succeed in the NHL.

21. observer says:

NFL today. for him too in montreal “Not For Long”

22. observer says:

wont happen here. it will elsewhere. he wants out and has for a long time.

23. observer says:

the meltdown started in january 2009 and only continues now – either he can’t play anymore or he is purposely trying to get himself traded away. and the way he’s playing habs couldnt get squat for him.

24. J Haul says:

and I’m sure he will give that some thought, but why is he obliged to share ever detail with you? Give the kid some space to grow. It’s preseason…. I’m sure he knows what needs work, but everyone wants instant results.

25. observer says:

they “don’t pay attention to the rabid fans”? but cammaleri said after the playoffs, “we got a huge boost from the fans great support”? what they do do at least since january 1,2009 lose most of the time when price plays and win at a good winning clip when price doesnt play.

26. J Haul says:

I’ve had a few, but calling a guy out for having a “meltdown” in the
    preseason is ridiculous.If this has already been discussed, I’m very
    sorry… but cmon!

27. observer says:

price and the stubborn duo gainey and gauthier put price in this spot. i even still wonder if the only reason he signed so late was that price wanted out of here and now right from the word go is trying to force the issue and get himself out of town with a tidy new deal already in hand that if he drastically improves(which he will immediately do) will get him a huge raise elsewhere in 2 years or less. price has played gauthier like the fool he proved himself to be when he traded halak away. gauthier/gainey are soon history –  and it will be good riddance.

28. pmaraw says:

tell me why to put him up

29. makka83 says:

If Carey gets his shit together, what would you do then? You will need to file for some unemployment benefits.

30. Everlasting1 says:

I’m in the midst of concocting a recipe for a winning formula should Scarey Price frighten thru to the autumnal equinox and beyond.

I shall place ye olde cast iron cauldron over le pit of roarin’ fires.. add Gainey, Goatier, Price, his agent, his goalie coaches, love potion #31, delicious flavored kool-ade crystals, fluoride, hair of brain, eye of newt, tongue of bat, copious amount of overpriced domestic beer..bring to a boil, stir, let simmer, cool till morns first light. Strain contents, pour into chalice, hold high and proclaim ..” Never will we be made to swallow this swill!”

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

31. Xtrahabsfan says:

I’m a fan of Les Canadiens not just one player on the team and If memory serve’s me right ,last season you said the Habs would never make the Play-off’s with Halak and would go down in flame’s….so …you guess real bad,don’t you? When or if  Carey gets his shit together, then I figure you should too,eh!

32. Stooof says:

the funny thing is there are so many assumptions made about the teams mentality about thsi situation.  they have said on many occasions that they don’t pay attention to the rabid fans.  media makes it seem like a big deal but i bet the team is back there and thinking, well another day in the training bank.  nothing more nothing less.

33. Da Hema says:

According to the Habs’s website, Pierre Groulx is both an assistant coach and goaltending coach.

This link will take you to the site which provides a bit more detail about his background.

“There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge….”

–Hunter S. Thompson

34. SeriousFan09 says:

Jacques Plante always felt a goalie had to feel as little blame as possible about a goal, those who became too caught up in feeling bad about losing a game or nervous about that bad goal were due to self-destruct in his opinion. He felt to an extent, that was what happened with Habs legend Bill Durnan and then Gerry McNeil before he took over the job and resolved to be a master of his position, but not feel like he had to lose sleep over a bad game or goal. Price’s positioning was fine until he lost focus, so his task in practice will be to fortify his mental state when he’s between the pipes.

Price showed improvement over the BOS game, making some saves and some bold play to cut off scoring chances. Obviously it deteriorated but it was a step forward for him, next outing for Price I am confident of a solid game and if I’m wrong, feel free to give me the “I told you so” treatment, that goes to all of you.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

35. rocketsglare says:

Price states that he won’t “lose any sleep” after giving up 6 goals last night against the Senators.

Okay, but he better give some thought how he plans on correcting his game, because so  far  he

has looked unfocused and unsure of his play.

His pre-season play hopefully will improve, because the start of the season is not the time to be-

come ready. The Habs will need every point possible in the first month to month and half if they

expect to be in playoff contention later in the season, when points become more difficult to get.

If Price is struggling in his first 20-25 games and points are being squandered away as a result,

then the team’s probability of making the playoffs become less certain. So how Price performs in

the pre-season does have a barring how this team will fare in the end.

36. bp says:

Who’s the goalie coach this year in Montreal? Any articles or media on what the focus is this year?

Just curious as I’m hearing a lot out here in the Vancouver media about Melanson tweaking Lou’s game, having him play further back in the blue paint once the play has been established in the zone, trying to cut off the cross crease passes, etc. Be interesting to see if those changes stick over the year and whether they have any impact.

37. habsfansince91 says:

i’m a huge arsenal fan myself and i can tell you one thing; I’m grateful that i decided to sleep in today instead of waking up early to watch that disaster!

38. Say Ash says:

And “13 in 20 when Price started”? Don’t I wish!

We have a winner!!

40. SeriousFan09 says:

Hmmm, I have Andrew and Clay on civil terms. Three weeks of my Conflict Management class have paid off!

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

41. SeriousFan09 says:

Need to have a guy out there who can actually QB a powerplay.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

42. andrewberkshire says:

I think Price will be fine, he’s usually terrible in preseason if you look back. I thought he was pretty good tonight aside from the Spezza goal.

43. MTLForever says:

Need to get more goals on the powerplay, especially 5 on 3s

44. Clay4bc says:

I hear that…

But on a more serious note…I’m really worried about Price. Rob will get his shit together, I’m sure…

— George Orwell —

45. light_n_tasty says:

Havlak!?!  Ladies and gentlemen, the true identity of adam76 is none other than Donald S. Cherry.  Now things are starting to make sense…

46. andrewberkshire says:

I think JM needs to have a meeting with Rob, Spacek and Price and explain to them that more is expected from them. They’re all veterans now, and it’s time to put up or shut up!

47. Rob says:

And as I would say to your best friend, “WHOO THE #$%* IS MAN UNIIIIITED”

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

48. Clay4bc says:

I know man! What was he thinking, though?

Good thing he has a few more days to iron out the kinks.

— George Orwell —

49. andrewberkshire says:

Clay, can you believe this guy? Screwing up his routine already? Good thing it’s preseason, I don’t want Rob costing us any REAL games.

50. SeriousFan09 says:

Well as my best friend would tell you about your proper Football club issues, you’re not cheering for Man U, there’s your problem right there :p

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

51. adam76 says:

That  “suspect goal to Jason Speza” is the real issue with Price.  That goal was a mental mistake.  That goal is the reason the rest of the team played a totally different style when Havlak was in nets last season.  That goal was the reason the team went 13 in 20 when Price started.

Until he can figure why he lets in these embarrassing floaters – Prices career is all but done.

52. Rob says:

Some more perspective: Carey Price allowing 10 goals in a game and of half pre-seaon games…not good.  But I am not losing sleep over this because this is far from disasterous.  On the other hand, Arsenal – the other love of my life – have dropped 5 points in two games to Sunderland and, just this morning, to WBA?!?!?!?  Excuse me if i’m having a hard time getting too worked up over the Habs perceived problems on this particular Saturday night.

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

53. light_n_tasty says:

Pre-season had me rusty on jersey rotations, it won’t happen again.”

54. Clay4bc says:

You bastard!

You’d better get it right for the regular season…

— George Orwell —

55. SeriousFan09 says:

Guys, I just realized tonight was my fault, I have not been properly rotating my jerseys. With a loss, I immediately swap jerseys but I didn’t wear one yesterday for the 4-2 win and stayed with the jersey I wore when the Habs lost to Boston. Rest assured, I will correctly switch to my 15-16 CA Jersey tommorow.

Pre-season had me rusty on jersey rotations, it won’t happen again.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

57. Caballero says:

The media and the fans and the management desperately needed to believe in a savior, and now that they have found a talented young man of 23 who is in fact lacking confidence they are disappointed because deep down, they were hoping Price would have won a cup by now. Goalies always give bad goals, look at Luongo. Goalies become consistent in their mid 20s. The reality is that Price will continue to give bad goals and play inconsistently for another 2 seasons minimum. Of course, all of this could have been avoided if he was brought up properly by the management. In Montreal, you have to be a winner when you get here. People in the media have asked why in places like Detroit, Boston etc… players make the jump to the NHL earlier and seem to develop properly. Well, Montreal is different. Hopefully after the examples of Price and Latendresse people who manage this team will have learned their lesson.

58. SeriousFan09 says:

This sounds like all my friends over the years who say they’re on their last cigarette 😉

We know you can’t keep away, we’ll just start an informal pool about when you’ll be back :p

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

59. Chuck says:

Yikes! That doesn’t bode well!   🙂

60. Harani says:

I will not read the comments here until the Habs first home opener. Then, we’ll see how well Price will be playing. Really sick and frustrated of people complaining aimlessly all the time for a freakin’ pre-season. Relax, take a chill pill! Mark my words, Carey will be fine! Buh-Bye!.

“It must be love!”

61. SeriousFan09 says:

Say it ain’t so, the Quebecois Scotty Bowman, Guy Boucher’s TBL team just a 2nd pre-season game in SO! The winning CGY Flames did not dress Iginla, Bouwmeester, Regehr, Jokinen(I laugh too but he counts), Tanguay, Ian White and had most of their scoring handled by Defencemen TJ Brodie (Who?) and Ales Kotalik!

TBL dressed all their potential Top-6ers in Gagne, Lecavalier, St Louis, Malone, Stamkos, Downie plus Ds Hedman, Kubina and Ohlund and their guy in net, the man who was out for Carey’s job, Cedrick Desjardins!!!

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

62. crabvader says:

I’ve said it before, I think the play in our back end will still be very frustrating to watch. Don’t get me wrong, we have some good talent back there… but all in all, we are an aged blue line and suspect to injury.

I still think it’ll be a year or two before we cement our defensive core. If we are not scoring, we are done.

We will live and die with our offence.

63. Xtrahabsfan says:

Carey Price ,our no:1 goalie better learn that he is the last line of defense ,once and for all…And he’s an elite N.H.L. goaltender who should and can do better than what he’s been doing for a while.I think his problem is he’s bored with hockey ,thus lacks focus and has  concentration issues.He’s lost his will to challenge the shooter and fails badly on second effort and when your the last thing that could stop a goal it’s a bad thing.Now some on this site would like to give him 150 games to fix his MOJO SAYING IT JUST A GLITCH…FINE-TUNING ect..I on the other hand think he need a year off and another team,a fresh start. I ‘ll be surprised if he can turn it around as a Hab but I’m sure he’d be great on a strong Defensive team like T.O..As for my Habbies…well they need a goalie  who can save the game…pull it out of the fire and show the passion of the Rocket!

64. otter649 says:

Vancouver looking good on CBC HNIC up 3-0 on The Ducks……..