Habs listed at 25-1 odds to win Stanley Cup

Following the flurry of NHL free-agent signings this month, the Bodog betting website has posted its latest odds for teams to win the Stanley Cup in 2014 and the Canadiens are listed at 25-1.

The defending-champion Chicago Blackhawks are the favourites, listed at 6-1, followed by the Pittsburgh Penguins (13-2), Boston Bruins (10-1), Los Angeles Kings (12-1) and St. Louis Blues (12-1).

Other teams listed ahead of the Canadiens are the Detroit Red Wings (16-1), Vancouver Canucks (16-1), San Jose Sharks (18-1), Edmonton Oilers (20-1), Minnesota Wild (20-1), New York Rangers (20-1) and Anaheim Ducks (22-1). The Toronto Maple Leafs, like the Canadiens, are listed at 25-1. The Florida Panthers are the biggest longshot at 150-1.

The Penguins are listed as the favourites to win the Eastern Conference at 5-2 odds, followed by the Bruins (19-4), Red Wings (17-2), Rangers (11-1), Capitals (12-1) and the Canadiens and Leafs (both at 14-1).

(Photo by John Kenney/The Gazette)

Carey Price helps raise money for autism, by Dave Stubbs

Parros feeling the love from Habs fans and players, NHLPA.com

Bouillon keeps busy at hockey camps, canadiens.com

Getting to know Sergio Momesso, THN.com

Leafs attract summer spotlight for strange reasons, SI.com

1. habstrinifan says:

@UCE.
    Here is some reading material which academically analyse the practise of ‘overwhelming response force’. This is different from the concept of reasonable force by an individual police officer against an individual suspect. I searched for one very comprehensive piece written by a police trainer some years ago but could not find it.

In very many police incident videos you see the strategy employed. I put my statement in no emotional context. Please re-read my post. I simply stated that the practice does sometimes lead to unfortunate situations and errors. Even in this incident you have the question now being asked… why with such a large number of officers responding were passersby and motorists still able to drive and walk by the other side of the streetcar… in obvious range of danger from the suspect in the streetcar.

Beat Cop to Top Cop: A Tale of Three Cities – – Google Books

From your heartfelt and many posts on the subject I understand your emotional investment on the topic. All I ask is that you not misrepresent my post, which I think you did in your response.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Hey trini, thanks for link. I do get what you’re saying now, and I did come across this line of reasoning after the Boston bombing and the chase after the perpetrators. Some analysts wondered whether tax dollars meant for ‘Homeland Security’ should be spent on some of these Urban Assault Vehicles that we saw on the news.

As an aside, we need to consider the source too. I’d never heard of this website, and when I clicked to go on the homepage, this is the headline I came across right at the top of the page:

FRESH WARNING OF ARMAGEDDON, MESSIAH RETURN

So I gleaned more than read the material, and get the gist, if I don’t quite trust the account exactly as described.

As far as me misrepresenting your post, I don’t think I did at all, and it certainly wasn’t my intention. I’m sorry that it came across like that. I just read your post, did a quick Google, found nothing, and asked if you had an article or other source to illustrate this concept.

Thinking about it some more earlier on, the best I could think of that you might have been referring to is the concept of physical dominance, where if you have a physically combative subject who is relatively unthreatening (small stature, no weapons, no apparent special skills), you can choose to approach the subject on a two or three-to-one manner, and physically dominate the subject, bring him to the ground where he’ll be subdued. There are problems with that approach, notably that maybe you’ve underestimated the subject, maybe one of the three gets a black eye for his troubles. Invariably, onlookers complain that it’s “not a fair fight”, the three on one grates on people, who don’t understand that it’s safer for the doormen or officers, but also for the subject. One on one, there is a much greater chance of someone getting hurt.

Anyway, thanks for the link, and yes, in the quest for greater safety for officers, sometimes the safety of the public is reduced. When you’re searching for a suspect in a house or serving a search warrant, how much notice do you give? On the one hand, lots of warning allows everyone to surrender peacefully, but does it also allow criminals to barricade themselves and arm themselves? If you go with the element of surprise, do you cause people to act unpredictably, with fatal consequences? I don’t have any knowledge of this at all, but judging by what I see on the news or in the movies, I always wonder about this dilemma, which option is best/safest for which parties.

This incident and others will maybe cause the authorities to review and revise their procedures.

2. Sportfan says:

Not many habs I dislike, but I can make a list of disliked Jays… Go a few years back the Kostitsyns and Lapierre really bugged me.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

3. The_Truth says:

Since Gomez left, I don’t dislike any player. I am down on a few for different reasons, but still like them.

I really like Gorges the person and also the player, but find his contract crazy for what he brings.

To a lesser extent I don’t like Price’s contract for what he has done in his career so far and feel he was “given” too much, before earning it. Feel he will bounce back and have a real solid season next year. Very possibly a great one.

Everybody loves Gionta the man and he still is a useful player, it’s just his game is limited in what he can do and kind of boring. He still has that nose for the net and putting in those rebound goals.

I find like Price, Eller is being touted too highly for what he has done. People wanting to hand him 1st line duties etc. I also find he doesn’t go to the net enough like some of the smaller guys (Gally, DD, Gionta). Really liked his progression last season.

Who could have liked Moen’s attitude last season? I really don’t get what happened. The guy just didn’t care.

Guys I really like.

Patches: Best forward on the team, who doesn’t get enough credit.
    Pleks: all around player with a great attitude. Too bad he just wasn’t a little better to be a true #1.
    Gally: Heart of Lion
    Prust: the same
    Subban: Best player on the team and a guy who really cares
    Chucky: Awesome talent and great work ethic
    Markov: Still the best hockey sense on the team and a great PP guy. Has lost a step after the injuries. The longest serving member who I always will be loyal too.
    DD: I really like the underdog career path he’s taken and he has heart. He is a very good passer with great hockey sense.

Cole: Not part of the team, but provided me with a lot of enjoyment in the “year from hell” The guy was awesome and played with heart and soul. His power forward game was amazing. I think we gave up on him too early after like 20 bad games. In light of what we did with the money in signing Briere, I wish he were here instead. Even if he scored 20, I think he would bounce back. Did you see his interview at the airport, where he was crying after being traded? He is a character guy.

4. Psycho29 says:

Retweeted by George Parros:

Canadiens Montréal ‏@CanadiensMTL
    Get out your skates and come skate with GeorgeParros this Tuesday at 1000 de La Gauchetière from Noon to 12:30 p.m.

5. Un Canadien errant says:

Good blog post about how it’s legal and possibly a good thing to video or photograph police officers in the performance of their duties. In the Toronto incident, and the Robert Dziekansky case at Vancouver Airport, video provides clear evidence as to what happened. While it sometimes puts police officers in a bad light, it often exonerates them and inculpates the suspects. A common example of this is dashboard cameras, which now serve greatly to convict drunken drivers, whereas in the past lawyers would attack the reliability of the breathalyzer, state their client was having a medical episode, that’s what made him look drunk, etc. Nowadays it’s hard for an accused to defend himself when he’s stumbling all over the place, and it’s captured on video.

6. HUDSONHAB says:

Sad to say but my least favourite last year was Gionta.

….Hab4life….

7. Denjen says:

Least fav player? That’s like picking my least fav child? I think all the men who wear the CH right put their best forth every night even if we don t think it’s their best! As for Moen, I feel for a couple of yrs he was better than he was to be,now our expectations are high. Moen is a 3rd our 4th line utility player and now we don’t need him to fill in on the 2 nd our even the 1 st line like he has in the past, which he has done to the best of his ability. Rarely a defensive liability, 8-10 goals a yr is the type of player Moen will be asked to be next yr and he ll do that.

• Chris says:

Moen is a 4th line player at this point in his career and with the improved talent depth of the top-9. And when he plays as a fourth liner, he is a 4-8 goal and 10-15 point guy, judging from his career performance.

An unmotivated Moen, as we saw last season, will struggle to reach even that total. He will still be useful if he remains a good penalty killer, but his work ethic needs to improve dramatically next season.

• Loop_Garoo says:

Moen definitely had an off year, but everything I have ever heard about him as a person makes me feel the last thing we should be doing is questioning his work ethic. Nothing I know personally but seems to be a really good down to earth hard working kinda guy.

Greg

8. Mavid says:

Don’t have any Hab player I dislike, even just a little. now from other teams thats a different story..

9. savethepuck says:

I see a lot of people answering Moen as their least favorite in the question below. He only had a bad 1/2 season, so I’m willing to see what happens next season before passing judgement. If the same question would of been asked last summer, I’m sure a lot of people would of answered Bourque after his bad 1/2 season. I doubt anyone will say that now though.
    Players bounce back from rough stretches in their career all the time. Let’s hope he bounces back. ( I can probably insert DD for Moen in this post ).
    “They don’t hang Conferenece Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

• Silverthaw says:

We all hope he can follow in Bourque’s footsteps. It was Bourque’s attitude (seemingly didn’t care) that was so frustrating, same can be said of Moen. He can play if he got over himself and plays for the team as opposed to worrying about spending time on the 4th line.

• SmartDog says:

That’s why I didn’t say Moen. He was effective before. White on the other hand… I’ve just never gotten White. A 4th line role player, who acts like a 2nd line star. And takes farm league penalties.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Chris says:

Moen wasn’t actually that effective. I think his frequent usage on Plekanec’s line was a big contributing factor to the Habs finishing so poorly in 2010-11.

Moen is an effective fourth liner. Anything beyond that is stretching his ability. He may earn better numbers simply because of who he plays with, but the team suffers for it.

I think the Montreal Canadiens would be a better team without Travis Moen. I was very disappointed when he was re-signed.

• savethepuck says:

JM and RC both used Moen similar to how they used Darche. They rewarded them for playing with heart and outworking guys with more talent. I didn’t agree with it because it hurt the lineup and was probably part of the reason we had so hard a time scoring in 2010-11 and 2011-12. A lot of times they were put in those positions because of injuries and our lack of depth. I hope the depth improves so when a skilled guy goes down with injury, we can call up someone with skill to fill that hole. The only 4th liner I don’t mind moving up due to injury right now is Prust.
          “They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
          Carey Price

• savethepuck says:

Whitey is a competent 4th liner good on the pk when needed. I love it when he sticks up for a teammate but hate it when he takes a selfish retaliatory penalty. I think there is a spot as a 4th line or 13th forward if he remains the good teammate and loses the selfish brain cramps.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

• I hear you, but White fills a lot of roles for a bargain basement price: he adds grit, defends his teammates, skates quite well, is strong enough in the circle and solid enough defensively to take defensive zone faceoffs, and even kills penalties. He basically does all the things you want a bottom line guy to do, and he does it with a grin on his face and for close to the league minimum salary. If he can work out his discipline issues — and I’d wager he can — he’ll be real contributor to the team.

• Marc10 says:

There aren’t many guys I dislike on our team. Do I wish they were better, meaner, tougher…? Sure. They seem like good guys and a lot of the malcontents of years past have moved on.

Moen had a very good year prior to the lockout (with better linemates) securing that 4-year contract. He then had a stinker of a half-season… Was it the concussion? Was he sitting on his new contract?

I hope he bounces back like Bourque did. In this faster and younger league, it won’t be easy.

10. Mark C says:

Did I really read on the other thread Carey Price being compared to Paris Hilton? Criticism of Price has now officially jumped the shark.

11. Propwash says:

So, one of the cops gets suspended WITH pay.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

12. Chris says:

I have no favourites on the Habs (as you can see from my profile list) except for Markov. Bad things happen to my favourites, so I refuse to subject any more to that list.

Mats Naslund – retires early at age 31, comes back to the team I hate most in the league
    Eric Desjardins – traded the day I was going to buy his jersey
    Stephan Lebeau – traded to Anaheim and shortly out of the NHL
    Saku Koivu – knee injuries, cancer, eye injury, French controversy…it was a rocky ride.
    Chris Higgins – it’s still too soon to talk about that
    Andrei Markov – knees can’t survive my curse.

I’m trying to cheat the hockey gods by not typing in my new favourite. But they saw through my ruse and exacted a terrible punishment.

For least favourites (in chronological order):

Claude Lemieux
    Gary Leeman
    Jose Theodore
    Mike Ribeiro
    Travis Moen
    Colby Armstrong

I think I’m one of the few that has detested Travis Moen from day one. I am simply not a fan, even while acknowledging that he is a good penalty killer. He hits with all the malice of a marshmallow.

• SmartDog says:

That sucks. You really are cursed. Don’t pick a favorite.

My son’s favorites were all traded (3 in a row). So last year he picked Prust. His birthday is on the 8th, and he likes the way he plays. I told him there’s zero chance he’ll get traded in the next 2 years. Of course other bad things could happen… but let’s not go there!

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

13. Ron says:

@ Habfab, Frank from further down the thread. The answer is no on the partnering up. Donnie is a great guy though. Haven’t seen him since last year at Tim Hortons. Bought himself a new model Camaro I believe.

14. SmartDog says:

I’m dragging this up from an inset thread below….
    ——————–
    I remember looking over our prospects a couple of years ago and seeing 6.5s and 7.0s as our top guys. There might have been one 7.5.

NOW we have THREE at 8 and SIX at 7.5 not playing in the NHL now. (Galchenyuk is listed as an 8.5.)

That’s a LOT better than it was a couple of years ago.

AND… three of those 7.5′s are on Left Wing. So someone’s doing their homework. Arguably we’re strongest on D and then Left Wing.

Among the 8’sI’m really excited about Beaulieu. The kids is close to making the jump and has great wheels and skills. (Colberg and Fucale are the other two 8s.)
    ————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• The Dude says:

No can do Ian…I’m so pizzed right now and so fed up with having a PHONY Police force WHO DO NOT HAVE GOOD TRAINING OR JUDGMENT AND SHOULD HAVE 6 MONTH Evaluations before they can continue too carry a gun or a taser . This is not how I want my tax dollars paid out! Their job is to serve and protect not Aim AND MURDER! It’s like the Stazi and Nazi are back with the corrupt Police farce in Canada. Just imagine Ian,that 17 year old was safer in Syria…WOW!

15. SmartDog says:

Just for fun, if you had to pick a least favorite Hab right now, who would yours be? Mine, unquestionably is White.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• crabvader says:

Lars Eller.

Runner up is Gallagher.

Hard to single out though… these guys are all heart… also gotta throw Prust in the mix… gah, too hard.

• Silverthaw says:

Think you read it wrong, but Prust is easily my favorite.

• SmartDog says:

Yah I said LEAST favorite. :)

Mine FAVORITE is (still) Plekanec. Next, Gallagher or Subban.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Silverthaw says:

Been reading for a while and Plekanec takes a lot of undeserved flack around here… other then Subban, he is the best hockey player we have IMO… with any luck, soon to be passed by Galchenyuk.

• SmartDog says:

He gets criticized for not being Crosby or Datsyuk. What a terrible thing that he’s not one of the best 10 centers in the game. Horrible!

However he has been possibly the Habs most consistant contributor for several years as well as one of our top scorers (if not the top over that time). Scores at a decent clip (consistently), plays both ends and in all situations reliably, shuts down opposing stars, and does it with rotating line-mates on a team still sorting out… just about everything.
            ————————————-
            Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Silverthaw says:

We would really feel it if he missed half the season. A little more top end speed and he could have been one of the best. I for one am glad he is locked up and if (play him with 2 good wingers and you never know) he isn’t a number one center, he will be really good as a number 2 to take the pressure of Gally.

• HammerHab says:

least fav…..

mine would be moen

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

• Silverthaw says:

What a terrible year, if he don’t rebound, I hope he doesn’t make the New Year

• J Dub says:

Why the hate on Moen? He’s an excellent shutdown player. Great on the 4th line. Great on the PK.

• Silverthaw says:

I agree… at times he looked like that, just not last year. If he don’t check, he showed he can become pretty irrelevant very quickly. For several million dollars, he shouldn’t be playing like Ryder without the talent. He should be playing the excellent shut down type role. Maybe JM ruined him, playing him in a role he isn’t suited for.

• HammerHab says:

It’s not a hate for Moen more of a love/like for so many others. I see more positives and potential in many other players that I dont see in Moen anymore.

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

• Silverthaw says:

Briere… still stung from a few years ago… too injury prone right now to right the wrong. (I actually like White, with a little discipline I think he could be a poor man’s Prust… good 4th line material).

• Ian Cobb says:

Mine is Wong, Dog.

You know White And Wong!

OH BAD!

• Sportfan says:

DD, I know I know 60+ points bla bla bla, but aside him most of the disliked habs are ancient history lol

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Habfan10912 says:

Last year it was Ryder. A very frustrating player to watch. Followed closely by Moen.

• Marc10 says:

Moen. Big time letdown. I hope he bounces back.

• Steven says:

100% Moen. No one else that I legitimately dislike on this team.

• Garbo says:

Drewiske.

Just because I don’t really know him, I have found him to be pretty useless in what I have seen.

I pretty much like em all. Ask me three years ago, and Latendresse would top that list for sure.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Still don’t know why they resigned him…don’t need another left-handed D-man that can’t play the right side.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Has to be Moen…

• Un Canadien errant says:

Still Tomas Kaberle. It’s going to take a while.

• ClutchNGrab says:

ALL my least favorite are now gone (Gomez, Kaberle, Armstrong). From the remaining there are certain aspects of certain players game that I really hate, like when Subban acts like he’s hurt but is not or when Plekanec slows down when the puck is in the other team’s corner (granted, he’s never hurt, but still).

SHOOT OUT to N. Harvey!

Have you sent your addressed envelope yet my friend. I have not received yet.

17. Habs4LifeInTO says:

They have the 2013 picks in the Habs prospect pool now.

Andrighetto 7.5
    Fucale 8.0
    Lehkonen 7.5
    Reway 7.0
    Mc Carron 7.5
    De la Rose 7.0
    Gregoire 6.5
    Crisp 7.0

24 cups and counting….

• 24 Cups says:

You also have to factor in the probability of success factor which is letter based.

• Silverthaw says:

I have only seen Dalton Thrower at the Memorial Cup… he is rated higher then I expected. I thought Dietz was much better. Is he that good?

• SmartDog says:

Thrower was drafted higher and is full of sandpaper. Something that gets talked about.

Ellis has risen though no question. And the site ranks them both exactly the same (7C). At 6’2″ I’m personally more excited about Ellis.

I’m a bit concerned Thrower is another Ryan White (Thrower is 5’11” btw)…. not my favorite player.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• SmartDog says:

Three 8’s and six 7.5’s not playing in the NHL now.

Wow – that’s a lot better than it was a couple of years ago. and BTW, three of those 7.5’s are on Left Wing. So someone’s doing their homework. Arguably we’re strongest on D and then Left Wing.

I’m excited about Beaulieu. That kid has skills.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• ABHabsfan says:

…and don’t mess with him at a house party or he and his dad will open a can of “whup-ass” on y’all!
        NB: did you say I hit the ball like a wuss?
        Random bystander: my little sister hits it farther than you!
        NB: oh ya? DAAAAAAD! This guy is teasing me!
        NB’s dad: Time to open a can of whup ass, Natey! (takes off beer helmet)

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
        Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• Habitforming says:

I don’t like how safe they play it with the letters assigned to each player.
      The highest on the list is Leblanc at a “B”, and Galchenyuk is an 8 but could fall 3 spots to a 5 with their distinction of a “D” to his projection.

They make the grades for players they have never seen play and yet take the safe way out with the letters so they can say they are still accurate.

18. frontenac1 says:

Whoa! Just saw that video. The kid didn’t have a chance. Plugged him 9 times and THEN tasered him? WTF?

• habs1992 says:

Yep pretty sad, something better happen to those cops or that is inhumane

I support Carey Price
      “Habs Insider”

• Ian Cobb says:

Not all cops today are as respected like years ago. ( I edited)

• habs1992 says:

Yes my grandpa did some time in jail 2 years, but he always said he respected cops back then. He says he has lost almost all respect for the profession today, calls most of them powertrip seeking maniacs. Lol the old bastard is 84 tomorrow.

I support Carey Price
        “Habs Insider”

• Ron says:

Ian buddy, I don’t dispute a lot of what you are saying but I really think its a bit over the top. You and I have been conversing since about 2006 I believe and I have never dwelled into jobs or professions before but in this case I must say that everybody on here should sit back and wait for the hammer to drop and all info brought forward. And it will, no hiding under the rug. I spent 27 years in law enforcement prior to retirement 6 years ago. Its still a proud profession and was very proud to have served the areas I was attached to. Just let it settle, the truth will come out.

• HabFab says:

Where you Coop’s partner?

• Ian Cobb says:

I just went off a little Ron, sorry to do that. I have family in RCMP, OPP and City. I feel embarrassed for them is all. But your right, I hope the dust settles professionally my friend.

• Ron says:

There is a lot of questions about this one Ian. One has to look at the possible fact if the only weapon was just a knife then the officers that responded were wearing the best armour money can buy. A knife is not going to pierce it. Supposedly the officer has been trained for one on one assailant attack. Officer panic ?

• SmartDog says:

The fact is that people make mistakes. And in the land of mistakes this was a doozy…. but it’s going to happen. There are some things going on in that situation that make it more likely – nightime, a crowd of cops, the kid being up higher. Psychologists will be writing about this one.
          ————————————-
          Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Marc10 says:

Alone on a bus and armed with a knife gets the kid nine bullets and a taser…

• The_Truth says:

Why didn’t he just drop the knife?

• Habitforming says:

It certainly looks to me like the situation was contained for the moment and the “suspect” was cornered without a chance of escape. That to me says the shooting was a bit premature. However, the police don’t know that he didn’t have anything else on him (like a gun) and they can’t know without searching him or waiting for him to pull it out.

What would the reaction be if he walked to the back of the bus and detonated a bomb he had in a backpack killing some of the police surrounding the bus at the time?
      The public outcry then would have been “why didn’t they just shoot him, he had a knife, it was enough of a threat to warrant a shooting”.

I can see both sides of this event, but the owness still has to fall on the kid that wouldn’t drop the weapon as the police were telling him to do.

19. RiverviewCanadien says:

@Chris.

Naslund was my favorite Hab forward growing up, I loved “Le Petit Viking”. But he never retired in 1990. He had a disappointing season and decided to go back over seas…for a of couple years.

I will never forgive him for coming back in the shortened lockout season in 94-95, as a Boston Bruin, which he retired from the NHL as…ARGH!

• Chris says:

Oh he retired…just like Kovalchuk. ;)

The 1994-95 season never happened. That’s my story.

Although I did thoroughly enjoy the Gretzky 99 All-Stars playing in Sweden and watching Naslund be the best player on the ice (which was the impetus for his non-existent return to a team that shall never be named).

20. habs1992 says:

I just bet 100 dollars on the Habs to win the Cup, If i would have had a thousand to waste i would of but thats a bit risky, 100 is good enough. Im now invested in this team.

I support Carey Price
    “Habs Insider”

Only two more days!
    to get me your money orders and your self addressed and stamped envelopes if you want to go to this years HIO Summit!

You will need to COURIER it to be here on time now. I have to order game tickets and replacement tickets by Wed.

About 150 of us so far this year!

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

22. habs001 says:

Playoffs vs regular season is totally different..Last season many games were no touch, no intensity games in the regular season…
    Some of the Habs d while fine the regular season are question marks in the playoffs…Before last season i posted that in the Spengler Cup when Canada turned on the forecheck and hitting pressure Diaz was a turn over machine in his zone…same thing happened vs Ottawa….Cube at his age and now playing 82 games how much would he have left for a playoff run…Markov 82 games and maybe olympics again how much does he have left for playoffs…5/5 last year worst plus minus on team and had fewer points than Gorges and Cube 5/5…..Gorges not old but looked much slower and tired than 2 years ago in the playoffs…

23. Max_Hab_Fan says:

Wondering if anyone could help me out. I’m attending the Summit for the first time this year and need a few suggestions for the Charity Raffle.
    Thanks!

24. Maritime Ron says:

…continuing on Chris’s tract of thought, the guys want to do some jamming and for some reason, want to do the Counting Crows ” Mr.Jones” and some other tunes.
    NO is not an option…
    Vocals are covered, ( lost those locks a long time ago… :-) but the boys are going to have to come to the table big time.

Teacher Bill…Muller avatar, had a real easy time :-) in NB

I bid all HIO a great evening.

25. frontenac1 says:

Hey wait a minute! A” Drunken Sailor”? Moi? I haven’t cussed in three days! Not that it matters the way they were nailing me yesterday with that lick chick stuff.

26. JF says:

For everyone panting for hockey, don’t forget the Ivan Hlinka under-18 tournament, which starts 5 August in the Czech Republic and Slovakia.

27. Bill J says:

I wonder if in Edmonton they compare all their young studs to #99 like we compare our young studs against our best players in the past.

Doubt it, but just thought I’d share a comparable to us here with Price V. Roy or Dryden.

He’s Price, quit wishing he was Roy or Dryden. We will NEVER see another Roy or Dryden… Geez people.

28. punkster says:

I look at the new poll and fondly recall those prior to the past season.

We’re a knowledgeable group.

Do you think the Canadiens will make the playoffs this season?

Yes (70%, 1,542 Votes)
    No (30%, 658 Votes)

Total Voters: 2,203
    Start Date: January 10, 2013 @ 8:01 pm

Do you think the Canadiens can finish the season in first place in the Eastern Conference?

No (74%, 2,843 Votes)
    Yes (26%, 995 Votes)

Total Voters: 3,838
    Start Date: February 20, 2013 @ 12:01 pm

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

29. HabFanSince72 says:

The Senators’ chances of winning the cup are not 33-1. They are more like 0.01%.

It would require some sort of cataclysmic world event, maybe world war three (or is it four I’ve lost count) or an epic financial crisis causing all US hockey teams to disband and their players being made available via draft to the remaining Canadian teams, who decide to keep playing to provide succor to the populace in these harsh times. That is what it would take for that sad sack team and their walrus coach to win the Stanley Cup.

They have exactly five good players: Eric Karlsson, Bobby Ryan (in decline), Jason Spezza, Craig Anderson and Robin Lehner, and two of them can’t play at the same time.

Their top scorer last year was Kyle Turris, who had fewer goals than Brian Gionta. Their best two scoring wingers were Daniel Alfredsson and Jacob Silfverberg, and they are both gone. The 3rd top scoring winger? Colin Greening. They now have less offence than the team that finished 27th in scoring last year. (They got taken to the cleaners in the Bobby Ryan trade.)

Their D consists of Karlsson, the 40 year old Sergei Gonchar, and four pylons.

30. Chris says:

I’ve been busily packing and moving over the past few days, and while trying to execute a purge (I’m tired of moving so much stuff!), I came across a small folder with all my childhood newspaper cuttings with pictures and articles about Mats Naslund.

Mostly fun, except for the one from the summer of 1990 announcing his retirement from the NHL to go to Switzerland and play with Lugano at age 31. Where have the last 23 years gone? :)

It really is amazing when you think back to that time period, which isn’t so long ago but predates the internet. I consumed hockey via newspaper articles, and the summer was pretty much dry when it came to hockey news.

Puts things in perspective when you see the incessant whining about infrequent threads here at Hockey Inside/Out, a free website that gives people a chance to shoot the breeze about just about anything!

31. ZepFan2 says:

@UCE
    Never were those “cops” EVER in danger.

One word: Taser!

After shooting a kid on an empty bus with only a knife, they then decided a Taser would be useful.

“Police can still be heard yelling, “Drop the knife,” after the shots are fired. About 30 seconds after the first shot a police officer climbs up the steps of the streetcar and the sound of a Taser can be heard.”

———————————————————————-
    Ka is a wheel.

“On we sweep, with threshing oar.
    Our only goal will be the Stanley Cup!” – Danno

For Your Life

• Un Canadien errant says:

You invalidate your own argument with the opening line.

Never were these “cops” EVER in danger.

They were facing a guy with a knife. That’s danger.

A TASER isn’t magic, it doesn’t work unfailingly. It’s a response option, one a police officer can choose to use based on the situation. Faced with a subject with a knife, it’s a reasonable option to choose, but so is a sidearm. If my partner chooses to use a TASER and it doesn’t work and I get stabbed, I’m pretty mad at my partner though.

There will be an investigation on what exactly happened, what the officers saw or heard, how they made their choices, and we’ll know more then. Until then though, we should probably refrain from using absolute terms like ‘never’.

We should also probably hold off from second-guessing these line officers as to what they did. If that’s my wife in the front door of the bus and I find out she had her pepper spray out when dealing with this nutbar, she’s getting a talking-to when she comes home.

• 24 Cups says:

Normand – I get the feeling that your comments on this topic are in regard to policing in general. In which case I would agree with many of those points.

Have you had a chance to view and read the video and information on this specific occurrence? I think that’s what most of us here in Toronto are talking about. The stench of the G20 Summit still lingers here. This seems like Part 2, except much worse.

I’m a senior who is very traditional and set in his ways yet I’m totally revolted by what happened on Friday night. Something is going to have to give here.

The officer in question has been suspended without pay. Chief Blair isn’t going to be able to brush this one off so easily.

• Un Canadien errant says:

You’re quite right that I’m speaking generally about policing, and I do want people to keep an open mind and wait for the facts to come out and the investigation to play itself out. I always like to remind others that police officers are human beings, they’re fallible, they’re scared too when someone is yelling at them or threatening them or waving a knife. They’re heroes because they’re afraid and still do the job, not because they’re impervious to fear.

I did see and hear the grainy video, and I’m not saying it’s exculpatory, just that it provides some evidence, but not all the facts. I’m very curious about why the initial shots were fired, since I can’t see the urgency on the video. I’m also curious as to why the second, larger volley of shots was fired, especially if the guy interviewed on CBC who says he got to watch a higher-res video is right when he states that the arm angle of the officers changed on the second volley. If this is true and indicates that the subject was knocked down by the initial volley, I want to know why they felt more action was needed at that point.

Look, I’m not an apologist for police officers, and I’m very suspicious of police bureaucracies and political manoeuvering. The RCMP in BC has been a secretive and defensive hierarchy, and in its haste to show itself in the best possible light when faced with incidents like these, has been obstructive and occlusive in its dealings with the public. Its actions have, instead of shielding the RCMP from harm, have actually brought public scorn and suspicion onto it.

So if you’re telling me the Toronto Police Chief has to answer for the mishandling of the G-20 Summit security, I’m all ears. But let’s hold off on making up our minds as to what happened on that bus.

And you should really edit your initial post and remove the word murder from it.

• ZepFan2 says:

Here’s the enhanced video: http://tinyurl.com/nky4w7h

The write up: http://tinyurl.com/kybfpt3

———————————————————————-
            Ka is a wheel.

“On we sweep, with threshing oar.
            Our only goal will be the Stanley Cup!” – Danno

For Your Life

• Un Canadien errant says:

Thanks for the link ZepFan, it’s very troubling video.

I’m not going to try to convince you, we’ll be typing all night.

I’m just happy that this video exists, so that no shadowy upper-level managers will be tempted to massage the facts to put his officers and the force in a better light. Now there will be no disputing the timeline, the sequence of events, etc. The officers will be questioned as to what they saw, what they did, and whether that measures up to how they were trained. We’ll see if protocols and procedures and operational guidelines are changed, if officers get re-trained as a result. Eventually, this video will be used for classroom training for current and future officers.

• 24 Cups says:

You’re right, Norman, and I will. I lowered myself to being inflammatory which really isn’t part of my character.

• Peter Young says:

“Murder” is an entirely appropriate word for many police killings in the USA and particularly in the Los Angeles area, where I live, and yet the killings are almost always ruled to be justified homicide, even when the victim is unarmed and the police’s only reason for shooting is the claim that the victim was reaching for his waistband. The slightest possibility of the slightest injury to police officers is regarded as good reason for police use of deadly force.

It will be interesting to see whether those who investigate this shooting in Toronto whitewash it. I would hope there is more regard for life in law enforcement in Canada than there is in the USA.

By the way, I was a lawyer for more than 40 years and lived and/or worked in the ghetto in Los Angeles throughout that time. That is the area most plagued by unjustified police violence, and the level of trust entirely law-abiding people have in the police is near zero.

• ZepFan2 says:

“They were facing a guy with a knife. That’s danger.”

In an empty bus with no way out. The odds were in the cops favour. All they needed to do was Taser the kid not shoot him.

There was about a dozen cops there. Which one is this kid going to attack? The kid would have had to walk down the stairs and then go after a cop. Cops aren’t that slow. Besides, all they needed to do was keep the kid occupied and on the bus until the MCIT arrived.

I stand by my post. They were never in danger.

———————————————————————-
        Ka is a wheel.

“On we sweep, with threshing oar.
        Our only goal will be the Stanley Cup!” – Danno

For Your Life

• Un Canadien errant says:

Next time, I’m sure you’ll volunteer to be the one the kid attacks and serves as a decoy while the other eleven think of what they should do next.

Again, I’m not sure of your level of expertise in the area, but a TASER isn’t a magic wand. If it doesn’t work, you’ve got an enraged man with a knife who’s now one step away. You don’t have time to do anything else. When confronted with deadly force, it’s perfectly defensible for a police officer to choose to draw his sidearm.

Your statement is still using an absolute in a situation that’s open to interpretation and subjective to the observer’s perspective. Sitting on your couch, it’s easy to say they weren’t in danger. Not very empathetic or reasonable though

• JohnBellyful says:

Great. I put my reply in wrong spot and erased the original comments I had placed here. Geez, I wished I had saved them. But I didn’t. [sob]
        Well, the reply is below (I think)… but the train of thought has been derailed.

• Un Canadien errant says:

John, you can buy me a drink at the Summit too, just wait your turn until Chris is done.

Consider me a somewhat informed acquaintance rather than an expert as I attempt to answer some of your questions. I’m sure they will be raised many times by lots of people during the investigation into this.

A police officer can’t/won’t draw his weapon unless there is an imminent life or death danger to himself, his partners or a member of the public. As such, when the weapon is drawn, the intent is now to ‘shoot to kill’, to prevent the subject from killing or committing grievous bodily harm to someone else. The goalposts have moved now, it’s no longer a question of immobilizing someone or disarming them or making them change their mind. That’s the philosophy adopted by all police forces in North America, that’s how they’re trained, and unless that changes you’ll see deadly force being used like that, even in the case of the guy holding the stapler or knife or toy gun.

The reason nobody shoots in the legs is as you posit, that the smaller target is harder to hit. In the movies we see heroes who are crack marksmen, but in real life pinpoint accuracy is very hard to achieve. Again, if you’ve taken your gun out you’ve made up your mind that there is an imminent lethal danger to you or someone else, you don’t mess around trying to hit a leg or shoulder or the assailant’s knife like in the movies. You get off two or three shots to the torso, pause and re-assess.

Most police forces require officers to qualify each year on the weapons they’re trained to use, but the bar is relatively low. With all the other requirements on their time, Reports to Crown Counsel having to be drawn up, foot patrols, court time, other training, they get little time to practice this skill. A couple years ago there was a bill presented in the New York State Legislature that was called “Shoot to Wound”, or something like that, in response to incidents like the one in Toronto. It never got off the ground, mainly because of these concerns. One wag wrote that NYPD officers can only be trusted to reliably hit two targets, the ground and the sky.

Having said that, sharpshooters in certain conditions can and will get a non-lethal shot off on a suspect, but these are rare. If the Emergency Response Team is deployed, it’s because someone’s life is at risk, so again the same conditions will apply.

My friend is a Vancouver constable and is trained on their carbine, which a lot of units were outfitted with a few years ago to complement what they had, which was their sidearm, a shotgun in every cruiser, but then nothing until the ERT got there. Now there are a number of cruisers that have the carbine and the officers trained to use it, which evens out the odds when dealing with some of the gangsters around here. He is also trained on non-lethal means, and rubber bullets, but not all officers are, it’s a special skill. In the Toronto incident, there might have been officers racing to the scene with non-lethal rounds, but didn’t get there in time.

I just finished re-training in Swiftwater Rescue, and we have a hierarchy of priorities: my safety is most important, then that of my team, then that of the public, and then that of the patient needing rescue. Police officers work the same way. At that incident, the constables were most ready to protect themselves and their colleagues, then the rest of the public, and then that of the subject. There was no acceptable loss in their minds when it comes to their team. Even if it’s twelve to one, they’re not thinking: “If Joe takes a poke to the chest but the eleven of us are safe and we can save the subject’s life, it will be worth it.” That’s not how it works, that’s not how they’re trained.

I have been trained on the use of pepper spray in the past, and in practical scenarios the instructors showed us how what seems to be a reasonable distance is easily bridged by a subject. Pepper spray has a certain reach, but you need to be close enough for it to work, and if it doesn’t work you don’t have time to choose another option. I’ve been assured by former colleagues that TASERS work and don’t work essentially the same way, in that you need to be relatively close, and if you don’t get a successful application, you don’t have time to do anything before the subject is upon you. I’m not sure if the Toronto officers in the video felt the subject was as close as they wanted him to be according to how they’ve been trained. We’ll find out in the investigation.

Unfortunately, when a deranged man grabs a knife and is confronted by police and refuses to disarm, there are not many response options for them to consider.

• JohnBellyful says:

Thanks for your carefully considered analysis, Normand. As usual, your points are sound.
          But I can’t help feeling a little skeptical that the police are entirely correct in how they handle these difficult situations. In most cases, no doubt, their practice makes eminent sense but I think an argument can be made — and I don’t know that I’m the one to do it — that there are times when they overreact or employ excessive force where a lesser response would have achieved a satisfactory conclusion without a loss of life.
          Of course, their personal safety is paramount, but not much more than the well-being of innocent victims caught up in the situation, and I am fully appreciate the danger confronting them.
          But if the intent is to shoot to kill as soon as a weapon is drawn, why not fire at the subject immediately, aiming for the legs while he is still stationary, if he fails to drop his weapon within a specified time announced by officers at the outset?
          Police would still come under criticism for acting precipitously but if this approach were to become standard procedure, over time they would be faulted less and less, and there would be fewer bodies to bury.
          You raise the matter of markmanship among officers not being that great. I accept the truth of that but as I intimated earlier, given the capacity of their weapons to fire rapidly, I would have to think a spray of bullets would find its mark in one or two instances before the attacker could close the distance.
          And the odds would certainly increase, if more than officer on the scene discharged his weapon, as seems likely. Mind you, the the odds of a subject surviving a hail of bullets would correspondingly diminish. Unless the officers were trained to immediately cease firing as soon as the subject was felled.
          And to be clear, in no way am I suggesting that any officer attempt to disarm a subject without causing harm at the expense of his life or that of a colleague.
          More effort needs to be expended in devising tactics and developing technology that results in fewer killings under these circumstances, and I believe those means are within reach, with proper focus and sufficient commitment.

• The Dude says:

ARE YOU FK’ED?? And the they let that LYING BASTARD RCMP who killed the Polish Dude go in court today !!!! Anyone who thinks this behavior BY THE RCMP or other Police is OK is a REAL FUKTARD! FIRE THEM ALL AND START AGAIN!!!!!!

32. Un Canadien errant says:

An important point to remember is that a betting line isn’t established to purely represent the odds of one team winning a championship versus another, but also to offset the number of bets likely to be placed on one team versus another.

The sportsbook is interested in having its bets spread out so that whoever wins they took in enough bets on the opposite side so that it at least cancels out, and they rake in their small percentage on every bet. They’ll play with the line or the odds to achieve this.

Let’s say Bjorn Borg is playing John McEnroe for the Wimbledon title, and the Vegas casinos figure they’re evenly matched. The likelihood of each winning is 50%, but Vegas will set the line at 6-to-4 in favour of Borg, because they know the USA bettors will tend to wager on the lovable, cherubic McEnroe over the aloof Swede, and they want to entice bettors to place more bets on Mr. Borg. If they find there is still too many bets being place of Mr. McEnroe, they’ll tweak the line so that it’s 6.5-to-3.5 in favour of Borg, until the bets flow in towards Borg and the books are balanced again.

Let’s say next season the Carolina Panthers are riding high on a good draft haul and a strong previous season from Cam Newton, and are felt to be an equally strong team to the surprising New England Patriots, who kept chugging along despite their depleted receiving corps. It’s now felt that with Tom Brady still the elite quarterback he’s always been, and a healthy Rob Gronkowski, they’re co-favourites with the Panthers to win the Super Bowl. The line however will probably show the perennially popular Patriots at something like 5-1 odds, but the Panthers, with a more meager following and less cachet among run of the mill fans, at something like 7-1 or 8-1.

So the Senators being at 33-1 compared to the Canadiens being at 25-1 doesn’t necessarily indicate experts thinking that we are significantly better and more likely to win the Cup, but probably more that the Sens have way fewer fans who will place homer bets on their team compared to the Canadiens, and they need to even that out by enticing more people to the Sens with a promise of a bigger jackpot.

33. JF says:

Reading recommendations were on the last thread, but the Toronto streetcar shooting puts me in mind of a wonderful crime series I’d like to add to the list. The Martin Beck books by the Swedish husband-and-wife team of Maj Sjowall and Per Wahloo. Ground-breaking when they appeared (the 60’s), they are well-written, brilliantly funny in a black, bitter way, and absolutely scathing about the bureaucracy-heavy Swedish police and the deficiencies of Swedish socialism.

Roseanna
    The Laughing Policeman
    The Fire Engine that Disappeared
    The Abominable Man
    The Locked Room
    The Man who Went up in Smoke
    The Man on the Balcony
    Murder at the Savoy
    Cop Killer
    The Terrorists

• Habfan10912 says:

Thanks Jane. I use to read a lot of crime stories but the news has provided me with enough of that lately. I’ll give some of these a try. CHeers.

34. Max_Hab_Fan says:

Interesting odds. Still some holes to fill and need some younger players to mature. Be interesting to see what happens as the season unfolds.
    Looking forward to meeting some posters at the Summit!

35. commandant says:

Bogosian signs with the Jets

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

36. Bill says:

@UCE: your faith in the police is touching. It’s also probably a little naive. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but …

• Un Canadien errant says:

It does sound harsh. I’d have to say I’m at least as informed about this as most posters on this site, and trying to shed some light on the subject. If you’re anti-authority or suspicious of police officers, say so, but don’t brand me as naive to make your point. It’s probably far off the mark.

The average person’s reaction to a police officer in uniform is a weird mix. There’s some frustration due to past slights like parking tickets, some weird insecurity issues due to past run-ins with authority, a lot of garbage and nonsense in their minds due to poor journalism and Hollywood, and also a belief that since police officers have a uniform and a badge, that they should be infallible in all situations. When something goes sideways, the police officers are routinely blamed for not having been perfect. The thing is, when police officers do their job perfectly, and defuse a situation like this, which happens probably ten times a day in Canada, it doesn’t make the national news and we don’t hear about it. So people make up their minds about police officers based on this case or the Robert Dziekanski tragedy, not on the hundreds of times police officers have to deal with a volatile situation and the subject is disarmed peacefully, with no fatality and no video.

When things go spectacularly well, like in the pre-emptive arrests of the Toronto 18, or the foiled VIA Rail plot, or when the L.A.P.D. faced down against M-16-wielding body-armoured bank robbers with nothing more than their handguns, the police officers get 10% of the love they should receive, versus getting 500% of the hate when things don’t go perfectly.

• Chris says:

My reaction to police officers is largely contempt. It didn’t used to be like that, but I’ve long since grown tired of these stories and my own very limited experiences with police officers over the years. Almost without fail, the police officers I have dealt with over the past 25 years have been belligerent, borderline competent and utterly out of their depth. And for the record, I am as pro-authority as anybody you will meet, and I have never been in a situation where I’ve had to deal with the police for committing a crime, solely when reporting them.

A good number of my high school friends are now police officers. In most cases, I am frankly stunned that these are the type of people that were selected to make life and death decisions. It reminds me of the line from the Sarah Silverman show where the traffic officer that has pulled her over asks her why he is standing there and she replies “Because you got all C’s in high school?”

One suggestion: perhaps it is time for police departments to require university degrees. I’m not saying that university makes people better, but it would certainly help screen out some of the idiots that the police departments seem to like to hire (particularly due to the rampant nepotism that is at play with police forces). My hope would be that the four year training (instead of the current Grade 12 minimum required by the Ontario Provincial Police, although it is more typical to have a 2-year college degree in Law and Security) would allow the trainees to get a little bit more perspective and knowledge to go along with the practical skills that they clearly need and are currently receiving, because what they are getting now is simply not working. Racial profiling, excessive use of force, routinely flouting the laws they are hired to uphold…this is getting far too common.

The sad thing is that I know that a lot of police officers are actually exemplary and they are in the business for the right reasons. But there are simply far too many bad apples in the crowd, and everybody gets tainted by that brush. It is human nature, unfortunately.

• HabFab says:

Andropov had the same idea to only hire the brightest. That will take 75 years to run it’s course… but is that such a bad thing? Depends on where you sit I guess.

• Chris says:

Can’t hurt to start now (minus the oppression and crushing of political dissidents that was characteristic of Andropov’s reign in the KGB). The longer you wait to implement reforms, the longer it takes for them to work through the system.

I have the utmost respect for the profession of policing, while harbouring severe doubts about the suitability of many of the people who have been hired to work in that profession. It isn’t so different for me than politics; again, I have a tremendous amount of respect for the office while holding many of the officials in contempt for so thoroughly letting us down.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Chris, you hit on a lot of points, hopefully you’re planning to attend the Summit and you can buy me a beverage and we can discuss this at length. If the conversation drags on you can buy me another and we’ll get to the bottom of this.

Your point is kind of making mine though. You’re exactly right that a lot of average guys end up being cops. There are there just under 100 000 police officers in Canada, and under a million in the States. They won’t all be brain surgeons. We need to train these guys as best we can, support them for doing the most difficult and under-appreciated job there is, and when they screw up use discipline properly, not lose our minds because they didn’t do things perfectly.

I also know a lot of great and good police officers, and some that are underwhelming. It’s the nature of the business. They can’t all be All-Stars.

As far as degrees, in the nineties it was routine for any police force to require a degree for a cadet to be hired. The quality of applicants suffered. Meanwhile, there were a lot of salt-of-the-earth types, construction guys or commercial fishermen or ex-hockey players who had the right mindset and had seen it rain, had been through some tough times and/or a divorce, who couldn’t become police officers. Yet these were exactly the type of guys who make good cops. If you’re involved in a domestic dispute with your wife, and the cops show up, who will you pay attention to and respect when he tells you how things need to play out, the guy who’s obviously lived a little and has some wisdom, or the snot-nosed kid out fresh out of uni with a B.A. in Sociology?

Police forces now use a degree as a preferred qualification, but a tradesman who has a journeyman ticket can use his qualification as well, and someone whose career path never took her down that road but meets a lot of the other criteria can still be considered. And the quality of candidates has risen accordingly.

Another thing the requirement for a degree did, as well as the need to diversify forces along gender and cultural lines, is that it has weeded out the good old boy who got on the force because he’d be a good addition to the department’s hockey team. Which is fine, nowadays policing is a highly procedural, technical profession, you can’t have dummies working as cops anymore. A coincidental change has been the removal of the height and weight requirement, you no longer need to be a 5’10” to be a Mountie.

Taken together though, what this has meant is that you don’t have bruisers on the force anymore, guys who don’t mind mixing it up, and who’ll not freak out when someone punches them or threatens to do so, or brandishes a knife. Nowadays, police officers are not expected to be physically overpowering heroes who’ll take a punch or kick as the cost of doing business. Now they deploy pepper spray or a TASER or a baton if someone looks like he wants to fight. And if that person is swinging a padlock on a chain, or waving a knife, they take out their gun. That’s how they’re trained. And the public shouldn’t freak out when it happens, that’s the consequence of asking for a kinder, gentler, more community-oriented diverse police force that can be trained in court procedures and the technicalities of forensics.

• Chris says:

No Summit for me. I’m far too busy during hockey season to get out of town (I haven’t been to a Habs game since I was at a conference about 10 years ago…sad!).

I’m not sure I agree that a degree requirement was causing a shallower talent pool…I suspect it had more to do with HR nonsense that has crippled pretty much everybody when it comes to hiring mistakes the past 10-15 years. I don’t think it is an onerous expectation to require a four-year degree of somebody who is intending to seek a police officer position. If that ex-NHL player or fisherman or construction worker wants to do it, they can. But we’re talking about well-compensated jobs with an awful lot of power here…the bar had better be set pretty high. I agree that you don’t want a force full of snot-nosed kids, but you do want people who have the knowledge, intelligence and judgement to make good decisions. This is best exemplified by the number of cases that are thrown out because of mistakes by the police force (I have some friends that are crown attorneys as well).

Taking courses in psychology, criminology, history (to prevent stereotyping, it helps to know the context for why some societal groups feel marginalized), forensic sciences, and perhaps some leadership and management training (given the changing nature of the position) along with their core degree would not be a bad thing. I’ve worked in universities long enough to know that there are still plenty of people who meet that bar for the OPP to choose from that will still be bruisers. (And for the record, I fully support affirmative action in the police force: if I am a female who has just been raped, I do not want to see another male. If I am a member of a visible minority group that has been the victim of racial violence or profiling, I want to deal with somebody who can understand where I am coming from.)

I just think the professionalism bar for the police force has sunk far, far too low. Like you, I am not an expert on the field, but strongly acquainted with the process as my brother trained in law and security and volunteered with the OPP for two years before going to university to get a criminology degree. He is still working in law enforcement from a different angle today, so I’ve been exposed to some of these issues through him over the past couple of decades. Let’s just say that I’ve been largely unimpressed.

There are some absolutely fantastic police officers, whose professionalism and ability are beyond reproach. Sadly, I think these officers are less common than they once were, with a lot of power-tripping idiots now damaging what was once a very respected profession.

• Un Canadien errant says:

We agree on a lot of points. I won’t address all of them, and those I have issue with.

You’re right that requiring a degree seems sensible as an entry requirement, but practically it had the effect of lowering the quality of recruits. It ensured that the overwhelming majority of applicants were college kids who’d just graduated. Now a lot of these will turn out to be fine applicants, but there were a lot of borderline kids who got in who were more interested in the pay and pension and chose that as a career of convenience. At the same time, there were a lot of talented, smart, hard-working guys who were looking to change careers but didn’t have a degree, had a family and mortgage, and couldn’t consider policing. Now that that requirement has been relaxed, you can attract those guys, and now your recruit classes are more diverse and have a more rounded set of skills.

I totally want women on the police force, a team needs to have a variety of skills and attributes. Fools who think women shouldn’t police officers because they’re at a disadvantage in a bar brawl don’t know the breadth of a police officer’s duties nowadays. The example you cite, where women are more approachable and relatable to victims of family violence and sexual assault is only one of these.

By the same token, my construction guy will be the guy who can diffuse a dispute between the boys at the pub because he’s been on a work crew and he can talk to the fellas and relate to them, he knows they just had a beer-up on a Friday evening after a long week, and if he sends everyone home to their families it’s a win for everyone. He’ll be the guy who drives by a construction site late at night and wonder why there are people around at that hour but no floodlights on and no work being done like a large pour of concrete, and he’ll be the one responsible for catching these thieves, whereas a college kid wouldn’t have that frame of reference.

These are trite examples, but having a diverse force means getting the best candidates of each gender and every race and culture from different backgrounds and walks of life. So the construction guys are important, and so are the college kids, and the geeks from accounting and IT, can’t get enough of those guys either.

37. The Dude says:

Price over Crawford or Holtby ,really?? Well then, give Carey another raise while your at it!

38. commandant says:

NExt in the series is Carolina

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

39. Habitant in Surrey says:

…WELCOME BACK STU COWAN !!!

…GAWWDDD We’ve missed Ya !

40. Habitant in Surrey says:

…funny :) …I’m part of the 6% wearing rose-coloured glasses predicting We come-in first this coming season

• savethepuck says:

I just made it 7%.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…May/June 2014, We’ve got to retrieve this archive to rub the noses of these other no-nothing HIO ‘hockey aficionados’ …on Whom among Us REALLY knows Their poop ! :)

• savethepuck says:

For sure, I’d rather be among the 7% predicting #1 than the 9% predicting we won’t even make the playoffs.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
          Carey Price

• HabFab says:

Only 9% say we don’t make the play-offs…believe they must be all regular posters ;)

41. Mavid says:

We’re still the better team and our odds are and should be higher

42. HabFab says:

Bulldogs sign a defenseman;

EDIT; he is a native Hamilton boy so perhaps part of the draw.

The Winnipeg Jets agreed to terms with defenceman Zach Bogosian on a seven-year contract, $36 million on Monday.

Winnipeg has been spending money like drunken sailors. Or in HI/O terms, Frontenac:) I just wonder if they have chosen the right core building blocks to spend all their money on.

Subban for eight years at 60M. Let’s get it done. Don’t be surprised if he holds out for 64M in light of the Norris trophy and an increased cap during the next 8 years.

• Sportfan says:

They kind of have no choice to spend that oney though on their own guys, they won’t win many ufas and Bogosian leaving would be bad for Winni

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• piper says:

IMO a good deal for the Jets. I think Bogosian is already a top 2 d-man at a young age.

• habs11s says:

Agreed. IMHO It’s one of those contracts that is a bit an over-payment now, but in a few years, when he reaches his full potential, it’ll be a great value…

_____________________________________________________________

• bwoar says:

For Wheeler – well, that sucked. For Bogosian though, good contract IMO. Winnipeg is fine from a cap perspective, so…

I’m pretty cold on Kevin Cheveldayoff. But all GMs need time. The Jets are very much still Rick Dudley’s team, with all the fun implications that has attached to it.

“thoroughbred”

• HabsWin-nipeg says:

I was surprised Wheeler got as much as he did, then was surprised Bogosian signed for as little as he did in light of the Wheeler signing. The Jets now have their core signed to
        3 Years
        -Little
        -Enstrom
        6 Years
        -Wheeler
        7 Years
        -Bogosian

25 to 1 to win the cup–Maybe.

But we are 50 to 50 to win our conference!

SUMMIT Hotel Contract for Hockey Inside Out Fans.!

REQUIREMENT
    Arrival : Friday 25th, 26th October, 2013 – check-in 15:00
    Departure : check-out 12:00
    Housing Procedure: Individual calling
    Deadline: September 25th 2013
    Method of Payment : Individual
    Although the hotel is not blocking any rooms, it guarantees the below rates until September 25th 2013.
    After that date, the rates are no longer guaranteed
    Tarification
    Single Double Triple Quad
    $119 $119 $144 $169
    RATES
    – Are for single or double occupancy, Add $25 per additional person, max. 4 per room
    – Include Basic Internet Access (256kb)
    – Does not include high speed internet. a daily fee of $9.95 applies
    – All tax’s apply per room per night
    – Will be extended 3 days prior to and/or following your event, subject to availability
    – Are quoted in Canadian funds
    METHOD OF RESERVATION
    – Individual attendees will be responsible for payment of their room, tax and incidental, as well as any cancellation charges if they apply.
    – One night deposit is required upon reservation. This is non refundable if cancelled.

– Individual reservations can be made by contacting the Novotel Montreal Centre Reservations Department directly by phone at 514-871-2138 or 1-866-861-6112 (USA and Canada) or by fax at 514-861-6470
    Callers must mention the group name HIO, Hockey Inside Out to ensure they receive the appropriate rate and are included in the guest room block.
    Novotel Montreal Center
    Chantal Morin

Your Voice (from Faceoff.com)

Poll Question: Who should be Team Canada’s starting goalie?

Luongo – 45%
    Price – 24%
    Crawford – 20%
    Smith – 5%
    Holtby – 1%
    Someone else – 6%

47. Sportfan says:

@Kooch I think the plan for Bealieu is to have as the number 2 offensive d-man that replaces markov in a few years.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

48. Sportfan says:

25-1 I like those odds ! :P Drive for 25 its an omen :P

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

49. JF says:

Not that these odds mean anything at all, but 25-1 seems about right for the Habs. However, it is puzzling that they have the Senators below us at 33-1. They crushed us in the playoffs, and they finished only slightly below us in the standings despite missing key players for most of the season.

• 24 Cups says:

I missed that point, Jane. I also wonder how there could be such a difference between Ottawa and Detroit. I realize Detroit has crossed over to the weaker conference but I wonder if their time has passed.

• Mavid says:

I am guessing that the “crushing” as you called it was an anomaliy I think injuries and some really shitty calls were more of a factor..not likely that this will happen again..and we are a better team so our odds are greater..just my 2 cents worth..

• JF says:

Don’t really agree that it was an anomaly. Yes, we had injuries, and there were terrible calls that went against us, but I don’t think those were the reasons we lost. We lost because our goaltender was badly outplayed by theirs, and because we didn’t score enough goals. The Senators scored key goals by going to the net; on our team, the only guys who went to the net consistently were Gallagher and Bourque.

• habs-fan-84 says:

Yes, we lost the series 4- 1, so it’s easy to say we were “crushed” (especially after the 7-1 game)…but if I’m not mistaken the Habs out-shot and out-chanced the Sens every other game. Most of the time the Habs IMO looked like the stronger team. Anderson stood on his head and the Sens scored some very timely goals (similar to the Habs playoff run a few years ago).

• 24 Cups says:

I say we give Jane a mulligan on the word crushed.

However, the truth of the matter is that Montreal lost 4 games to one. Three of those games were played on home ice. And two games had scores of 6-1.

It’s not like the Habs lost a heartbreaker in the 6th or 7th game the way Boston did to Chicago. Injuries, a subpar Price and a team that had fallen back down to earth were the main reasons for the loss. As for the refs, it has basically become a league wide epidemic that can undermine any team at any given point in time.

• Mavid says:

I would agree with your assessment..too much emphasis put on the lop sided loss..what I saw was better goaltending..period..had ours been better it would have been no contest..

• HabFanSince72 says:

The Sens actually didn’t “crush” us. Well, they crushed us physically, but we mostly outplayed and outchanced them. It was a classic case of a hot goalie stealing a first round series. And don’t forget the travesty of game 4.

The Sens will not even make the playoffs next year.

• JF says:

When you lose a series four games to one, and two of those losses are by the score of 6-1, what else is it but a crushing? Yes, Game 4 was a travesty, and yes, we out-chanced them in some of the games we lost. But I maintain that they crushed us (the score-line says so) because we didn’t play as good playoff hockey as they did – i.e., play hard physically, forecheck ferociously, contest every inch of the ice, and go to the net. Also, of course, Price was sub-par.

50. zephyr says:

I’ve been a habs fan since the early 70’s. i’m not happy with price. he doesn’t have a consistent track record does he? he played very poorly this past playoffs & probably cost his team the series. patrick roy never played like that even when he was a rookie. dryden never did either. those guys never had losing records in the playoffs. don’t forget that the habs were huge underdogs when dryden stepped into the nets too. those guys carried their teams on their shoulders to win. i’m also worried about price’s confidence. if he’s lost that, he’s done.
    I don’t have a crystal ball. maybe the new goalie coach helps him. maybe a bigger defence helps him. maybe he turns it around. I hope he does. 1 thing I know for sure: he’s no dryden or roy so far. another playoffs like the last one & he’s out of montreal.

Well if all our goalie has to be is as good as Roy or Dryden, I can’t believe we haven’t found that yet. While the Boston team was a heavy favourite with Dryden as a rookie, the roster on that Hab team wasn’t exactly lacking talent.

Patrick Roy to me is the best goalie the team has had since the 70’s and no doubt he was able to carry teams. But he still required timely scoring and team with nice depth to win those games.

Price does need to improve, but he appears to have the tools. I just don’t understand the rush to dump him and start with another goalie. Lets keep trying to build a complete team. If indeed after a few more seasons our team is stronger and Price is not taking it to another level, then no doubt things must be reconsidered.

Pekka Rinne is an excellent goalie in Nashville, but without a team around him, he cannot take them to Cup finals…. I don’t think anyone believes Rinne is the problem with the Predators.

• ont fan says:

I also remember Dryden and Roy letting in 5, 6 and even 7 goals in the playoffs. I’m disappointed in Price too but let’s not get carried away with the past.

• The_Truth says:

I think the original comparisons to Roy and Dryden are part of the problem. The expectations were way too high and being a regular good goalie will never be good enough.

Price isn’t and never will be Roy or Dryden. He is Carey Price, a good young goalie in the league. Management handed him the mantle of starter by trading Huet too soon and before Price proved he could handle it. Tuuka Rask was handled the right way and is the same age. Everything was perfect for his development and he is a very confident goalie because of it, who now has surpassed Price.

We can’t go back now and should just hope that Price’s experience and talent, aided by Waite’s coaching, will come through this season. If he doesn’t have a good season, I really think he may be run out of town, which he probably wouldn’t be heartbroken about. It’s a very big year for him and I hope he is training this off season and will be up for the challenge.

• Strummer says:

“1 thing I know for sure: he’s no dryden or roy so far. ”

So far he’s only being paid like one of them.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Un Canadien errant says:

By your standards, we’re not happy with any right wingers since Guy Lafleur, any left wingers since Steve Shutt and Shayne Corson, any defenceman since Larry Robinson…

Look, Carey won’t be the miracle ‘rookie Canadiens goaltender who single-handedly wins a Stanley Cup and receives the Conn Smythe’ goalie that Ken Dryden and Patrick Roy were. That’s no longer possible. Bob Gainey tried to force it to happen, and it may not have played to our advantage, Carey might have been better off staying in Hamilton longer. In the meantime though, we have a solid, athletic goalie who shows flashes of brilliance but needs to work on his consistency. To that end, we’ve changed goalie coaches to see if that will help. We’re in a position of strength at goalie, it’s not a problem we need to solve.

Man, this street car shooting of an 18 year old by the police has to be one of the darkest times for Toronto in recent memory. I still can’t believe that it has happened. What the hell were these guys thinking?

• habstrinifan says:

Police training has a doctrine, started many years ago, called overwhelming force, similar to the military strategy used by Powell in the Gulf war. It leads to many unfortunate incidents.

• Un Canadien errant says:

trini, please provide me with sources to this. I’ve never heard of overwhelming force in policing. Police officers are trained in a use of force continuum, where they are expected to use a reasonable amount of force (or response option) given a situation. For example, a big dude coming at me with his dukes up, I can pepper spray him or use a baton, but anything more I’d have to explain further, like maybe say I know the guy, he’s a Gold Glove boxer and he’s told me he was going to kill me, and I had reason to believe him. If the same dude was coming at a small female constable in a space where she has no opportunity to retreat, she would be easily justified in drawing and using her pistol.

The only other context I can think of for the ‘overwhelming force’ is the lessons learned at the Polytechnique massacre, where the Montréal police did as they were trained and waited for the ‘SWAT’ to attend, which gave the psycho time and space to roam around. After that, their training and response guidelines were changed, and were applied successfully in the Dawson massacre. Instead of waiting outside for the special forces, line constables entered as far as they could do so safely, and pinned down the suspect until more help arrived. This prevented another lunatic from roaming around with a gun and free rein to do so. I’m not sure if that’s what you’re referring to, but that’s the best I can come up with offhand.

• Captain aHab says:

If heads don’t roll on this one and the cops get away with a wrist slap, there will be street revolts….. I don’t care if he looked like a dbag, they had him surrounded and didn’t need to use that amount of force on a guy with a knife.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Put yourself in the shoes of the responding officers. How close or how threatening does he have to get before you react? How do you keep him surrounded when he comes toward you? How many stab wounds do you suffer before you break down and pull the trigger?

“The cops” don’t have anything to “get away” with. This isn’t a case of officers taking bribes, or of police brutality. This is a small group of officers faced with a volatile and extraordinary situation, one which is hard to replicate in training, and who did the best they could at the time. If it’s found that they were reckless or didn’t follow procedure or their training, there will be re-training, reprimands, whatever discipline is necessary. Some may be found unfit to serve and be let go. Some may walk away willingly from this career and decide to earn a living some other way.

I say this regularly, but whatever police officers and prison guards are getting paid, it ain’t enough, they should get a raise. So should teachers and nurses. And pilots and air traffic controllers. We want our very best and brightest in these positions, and to train them well and give them all the resources they need to get the job done.

• 24 Cups says:

Upon watching the video you may want to rethink your first paragraph. The cop shot the kid BEFORE he ever left the bus and before the situation ever became extraordinary.

I understand what you are saying and hear the point that you are making. I generally agree with all that you have stated. I just don’t think it applies in this situation. The cops totally misjudged the circumstance and overreacted. It serves as an example of terrible policing, not a judgment call that had to be made to save police officers lives.

EDIT: The officer in question has just been suspended without pay.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Not to belabour the point, but when you say “(t)he cops totally misjudged the circumstance and overreacted”, it’s a fair point to make and you can argue that. I have a big problem with you saying this was a case of murder though, I think you should retract that.

• Un Canadien errant says:

The word ‘murder’ is completely inappropriate and inflammatory in this situation. For murder to have happened, the officers involved would have had to start work that day and decide they were going to off some guy, or for them to attend this incident and coolly, rationally decide they were going to end this guy’s life.

This is a homicide, a death caused by another person, and further investigation will determine whether it was justifiable or culpable. Whether recklessness or intent played a part will be important in this case, obviously.

The important thing to remember is that the police officers were confronted with a situation where drawing their service weapon was justified. I don’t know if they did everything perfectly, it certainly seems odd that there were three shots fired, then a pause, then a number of other shots to the average viewer of this video. We need to understand that police officers are not omniscient unemotional beings who will be perfect in every situation. We may find that most if not all of these officers had never been involved in a situation like this before in their career, they may never have had to draw their service weapon. We see heroes like Raylan Givens and others unfailingly make the right decision when they have to use their pistols, but these guys aren’t Hollywood creations, they’re average guys like you and me with wives and kids and a mortgage to pay off and a softball tournament on the weekend. They’re average Joes thrown into extraordinary circumstances and expected to be calm and methodical.

On a more general topic, when a police officer draws her pistol, it’s because she has made up her mind that a life or death situation exists. In Hollywood policing, we see examples of a weapon being held to a suspect’s head with the word “Freeze!” being shouted. We see warning shots being fired in the air. We see Raylan Givens shooting someone in the leg to incapacitate him, but sparing his life. In practice, the police officer only draws when a life and death situation exists, and by then has made up her mind that she will use her weapon. If the officer fires, she doesn’t fire one shot, she fires two or three shots at the torso, depending on the protocol, assesses the situation, then may fire off another group of shots. That’s what she is trained to do. If three officers make up their mind to shoot, you’ll hear a number of shots, not just a perfect dead-centre Hollywood shot to the head.

Policing is a messy art. Unfortunately, in this case, these guys will be investigated endlessly, and second-guessed and crucified in the court of public opinion, for dealing with a situation where a clean resolution is hard to come by. A violent and/or unbalanced man with a knife has removed a lot of options on how the situation will play out. As usual, the dedicated professionals who were faced with this lunatic will bear more scrutiny than he does.

• 24 Cups says:

I must admit I used the word murder to inflame the situation and create feedback.

As for the situation being discussed, all video shows that the teenager was on the bus alone with a knife. He would have had to take three steps forward and then go down the steps of the bus before ever even getting close to a police officer. If that happened, then their reaction may have been warranted. However, they totally mishandled the situation to the point where they even had two separate shootings of the suspect. Imagine that kid was your son and then tell me about how well the cops handled the situation.

This is a huge black mark on the Toronto police department. Chief Blair, has to finally display some courage and be a true leader. The stench of the last police fiasco at the G20 Summit still hangs over Toronto.

52. Cal says:

HIO Definitions:

1. Price Hater. Anyone who doesn’t think Price is the best goalie ever to put on the equipment.
    2. Idiots. Anyone who disagrees.

There, all done.

What would be the definition of someone who believes Price has the talent to be an elite goalie in the NHL. That he is close to getting there but needs to put together a complete season including playoffs. What also if the person believes the new goalie coach can help Price with making the improvements needed, and that it appears MB is slowly working towards building a team around him that can also help in this growth.

• savethepuck says:

We are labeled Price lovers because we defend the guy from all the unnecessary bashing he gets on here? To me, it just gets so nauseatimg to have to constantly read all the the negativity towards him coming from what seems to be the same group of posters. He’s made out to be the center of all the teams problems.
      If some would cut down on the bashing, you’d see a lot less love and possibly more objective opinions.
      We are the majority on here and experts throughout the hockey world agree with us. Why should we change our opinions because of a few broken records on here. Some it seems, lie in waiting for him to have a bad game, so they can flood the Site with “I told you so”, and ” he sucks”.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

53. Bill says:

@Cat: y’know, I think you may be a little thin-skinned, because I didn’t insult you or call you ignorant. I asked if – since you are not a Habs fan – you followed the team closely enough to have an informed opinion. That is not an insult.

I also disagree that Price fans are the “real trolls” of HIO. You said you aren’t on HIO that often, so perhaps that is another area on which your opinion is not well-informed. I’m on here a lot, and the “real trolls” take many forms. But a great preponderance of them are definitely goalie-bashers, not supporters.

Those odds make sense to me. The top five teams listed logically seem to be the only teams that can win the Cup this year.

The other teams could almost be lumped together as “rest of field”.

Lots of things will happen between now and next June but at this precise moment the bookies seem to have it right.

55. Kooch7800 says:

Nathan Beaulieu scrap;

I think this guys is going to be our 2nd best d man in a few years

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

56. ClutchNGrab says:

I’m not too good in math but I’m guessing they took in consideration the 16 teams in the east vs 14 teams in the west non sense. So Vancouver vs Detroit at 16/1 both means Detroit is a better team?

57. frontenac1 says:

Hey this guy Lewickie sounds like a real piece of work eh? Can’t wait to see the Hogtown media pucker up for him.Hilarious.

58. Summit 2013 Be there or Be Square

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 00029.31

59. Bill says:

@HF72: it’s pretty much all merlot.

60. HabFab says:

So HiBs posted his post at 12:39 and Puck Daddy at shortly after 1 so Gerald wins… you heard it first here at HIO :)

61. frontenac1 says:

Bodog has both The Habs and Leafs at 25-1? What happened to all that Leaf love and bs about them currently being a better team than the Habs a couple of threads ago?

• habs11s says:

the impending Kadri signing probably makes them a 15-1 shot at the Cup ;)

_____________________________________________________________

62. Bill says:

@Cat and a few others.

You’re crowing pretty hard about being “right” about Price and basically patting yourself on the back as hard as you can. But speaking for myself, you don’t have anything to congratulate yourself about. My opinion on him is unchanged: he’s an excellent talent who is more than capable of going all the way with the Habs. There is no issue with him at all, notwithstanding the views of a faction of overly emotional “fans” on this website.

And Cat, according to your own signature, you’re not even a Habs fan, which makes me wonder if you follow the team closely enough to even have an informed opinion.

• The key is to not read them, I don’t bother with anyone who is against Price. Not worth the time when for every one of them there are 1000 for Price. The most important people in hockey love Carey Price, that’s all that matters.

Look at all the people here who supports Price and the Habs, read their posts and you will find that you could read them everyday and actually enjoy their personality.

Then read the ones who every chance they get slam Carey and the Habs and then see how negative in general they are in every post. No one wants t be around those people. They just aren’t fun.

Smile and Wave, it’s Summer and flying by (except for today, very rainy here)

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Summit Member 00029.31

• pmaraw says:

as long as the other team doesn’t shoot five hole or glove hand or on net… price’ll be alright

• The Cat says:

Im not a habs fan, Im a hockey fan, whether that makes my opinion more based in reality or not is up for debate. I watch as many games as anybody, but no I dont follow the prospects etc..Im not on HIO that often. All I know is I never insult anyone, not being a proper fan doesnt mean hockey ignorance. You may be right about Price one day, but as of now I been more right, so it kind of irks me when someone says I know nothing and their only arguement is “one day he’ll put it together”. The Price lovers are/have been the real trolls of HIO as theyre rude, condescending and impolite people.

63. Kooch7800 says:

Wow, look at the prescriptions that Boogard was on.

That is over prescribing. Those are heavy drugs

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

64. Psycho29 says:

I don’t follow soccer at all, but some sad news:

Ecuadorian soccer star Benitez,27 dies in Qatar after game

65. ClutchNGrab says:

I’m wondering if Leiweke suffers from the Brian Burke Syndrome. It’s a syndrome that occurs when a sales guy with limited hockey knowledge has had success with a team in a non traditional hockey market.

The limited knowledge of hockey part makes them think that the main factor that explained their team success was their winning attitude and not much good draft picks, out of the ordinary goaltending, great defense, etc.

The non traditional hockey market part makes them think they need to exaggerate the expectations of success, not understanding the fans in hockey markets already have expectations that no team would be able to achieve.

Just wondering.

66. Cal says:

Edmonton at 20:1? It’s official. The folks at Bodog are on heavy drugs.

• habs11s says:

Don’t worry, it happens every year. The start of the season is the ‘this years the year that all the young guys play up to their full potential’

IMHO, they will be a playoff bubble team….
      _____________________________________________________________

• pmaraw says:

i think they’re just trying to get the edmonton fans to bite lol

• habs11s says:

if they are anything like me (if I bet on the Habs, they are guaranteed to lose that specific game….), they will never bet on their favourite team.

_____________________________________________________________

67. Kooch7800 says:

This team isn’t built for the playoffs just yet so really those odds are about right

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

68. bwoar says:

So did we trade Nate “Patrice” Beaulieu to the Canucks for Bieksa yet?

Oh, that’s right – Gillis will want Brisebois, Gallagher, a 1st rounder & his mom’s undies back. Wild ‘n’ crazy nguy, that Mike “All-In” Gillis is tha illest.

“thoroughbred”

69. bwoar says:

I think they’re overestimating our “team”.

“thoroughbred”

70. habs1992 says:

25-1. This will be the easiest 25 grand ive ever made.

I support Carey Price
    “Habs Insider”

71. First!

That’s probably the biggest achievement I’m going to manage today.