Habs legends Elmer, Butch share the wealth

Canadiens alumni president Réjean Houle has a laugh at one of Elmer Lach’s bon mots before today’s news conference in Pointe-Claire.
Graham Hughes, Gazette

Last December’s retirement of the jerseys of Canadiens Hall of Famers Elmer Lach and Émile (Butch) Bouchard did more than hoist their respective No. 16 and No. 3 to the rafters of the Bell Centre.

The Canadiens, through their Children’s Foundation, gave $25,000 to each man to donate to the charity of their choice.

Bouchard chose Fondation Pinocchio and Projet 80 to share the funds in his name.

Today, Lach took part in a news conference at Pointe-Claire’s Lakeshore General Hospital to donate his $25,000 to the hospital’s foundation for use in its pediatrics department.

The release from the hospital appears below. To both Elmer and Butch: well done!

Hospital news release:

Elmer Lach and the Montreal Canadiens Children’s Foundation Give $25,000 to the LGH Foundation upon Jersey Retirement

Pointe-Claire, QC – The Lakeshore General Hospital (LGH) Foundation is proud to announce that the proceeds from the retirement of Montreal Canadiens jersey No. 16, worn by legendary Punch Line member Elmer Lach, will be donated to the foundation in a ceremony to be held Nov. 3.

A cheque in the amount of $25,000 will be presented to the LGH Foundation at the ceremony.

Upon Mr. Lach’s request, the funds from his jersey number retirement will be directed to the paediatrics department of the Lakeshore General Hospital.

Renowned hockey broadcaster Dick Irvin Jr. will be on hand to welcome and introduce Mr. Lach, who played on the Montreal Canadiens for 14 seasons, from 1940-1954. Also attending will be Canadiens Alumni Association President Réjean Houle, on behalf of the Canadiens Children’s Foundation. Mr. Houle will present the cheque on behalf of the Montreal Canadiens.

A Hart Memorial Trophy winner, a member of the first NHL All-Star team, and a Hockey Hall-of-Famer since 1966, Mr. Lach is presently the oldest living Montreal Canadiens player. We are truly honoured to be the recipient of his generosity, and to become a part of such a celebrated sports tradition.

The LGH Foundation relies entirely on donor support to improve our community hospital. It strives towards health care excellence in the West Island by acquiring cutting-edge equipment that government funding alone cannot provide.

Today’s cheque presentation ceremony. From left: Canadiens alumni president Réjean Houle; Canadiens legend Elmer Lach; Lakeshore General Hospital Foundation president Silvano Orrino; LGH Foundation chairman Nick Di Tomaso; broadcaster Dick Irvin Jr., whose father, Dick Sr., was Elmer’s only coach with the Canadiens from 1940-54.

Graham Hughes, Gazette

1. Slovak says:

Trolling or not there are only 2 names in the talk :)

2. SeriousFan09 says:

Lot of early trolling talk around here.

3. Habhopeful says:

ok this is really buggin me, anyone else in a yahoo fantasy hockey pool? is Parise I.R Eligible for you? because he is not for me and he is out 3 months! Anyone!? thanks!

“I went to see a fight the other night…And A hockey game broke out!” ~Rodney Dangerfield~

4. SmartDog says:

I wonder what these guys think of the team today.  Team culture. Motivation.  Good players, bad players.  THAT would be an interesting read.  Not as important as this…. but, um, interesting.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

5. SeriousFan09 says:

I misstepped on a couple of facts because I can’t keep everything about hockey in my head. I’m not changing my general opinion on the team no longer awarding the coaching position to people with no pro experience. For over a decade people clamoured for no more coachs without NHL experience to run the bench and now we want to restart the grand experiment?

6. SeriousFan09 says:

I don’t care how much he led as a player. He won’t be on the ice anymore, he’ll be the coach and that is an entirely different dynamic. Roy could command authority because no one could dispute what he was doing to keep the team IN the game. He’ll be behind the bench, not on the ice and he can’t lead the same way as a coach that he did as a player.

I know you’re a Roy fan but you know what? He is not God.

7. SeriousFan09 says:

Tired of MTL being a training ground for coachs with no NHL experience, excuse me for thinking it’s not going to work, especially since Montreal did it 5 times since 1995 and it didn’t accomplish much by the end. I’m sure the 6th time will be the charm though.

I acknowledge I was unaware of the Memorial Cup win, but let’s see some professional experience on his record as a coach before we just let him coach here, flame out and than go on somewhere else after he learned the ropes here and we struggled through another reign of coaching error or he just becomes another RDS analyst.

8. andrewberkshire says:

No indication he can control a room of professionals? Come on Rob, you’ve lost this argument. Listen to anyone who played for Colorado from ’95-03, and they’ll tell you that while Sakic was captain Patrick Roy was the vocal leader of the team, the guy who woke them up when the team needed a shove. He controlled the room in Montreal as well. There’s EVERY indication that he would be an excellent coach.

9. SeriousFan09 says:

Has he coached a single professional game? No and that experience counts in my book. No indications he can control a room of professionals, especially millionaires. One thing to order teenagers around, another to be able to make 10, 15 year veterans do what you tell them to do.

I was mistaken about the Memorial Cup, but that isn’t nearly enough to justify his getting an undeserved kick to the Habs job.

10. andrewberkshire says:

You’re going way overboard. No one said he was assured success in the NHL as a coach, just that he could wind up as an NHL head coach. The Memorial Cup is often called the most difficult trophy to win in any sport, more difficult than the Stanley Cup. Roy has won it, despite coaching in the QMJHL where the teams are less talented and overall weaker than the WHL and OHL. It’s a massive accomplishment that adds to the fact that he’s also won 4 Stanley Cups, 3 Conn Smythes, and a Calder Cup as a player. The guy is a winner, through and through. He has a competitive fire that few people in this world have, and that’s valuable in ANY job.

11. HabFanSince72 says:

And the other half think they should be the GM.

12. HabFanSince72 says:

OK let me take it slowly.

You said “Apart from goalkeeping he has never won anything in hockey”

Three people said: “actually you’re wrong. He has won as a coach. Consistently.”

If you had said “He can’t coach because he’s blind”

I would have said, “Actually he has 20/20 vision”

And you would have said: Oh yeah, I hear Barry Melrose also has 20/20 vision – doesn’t prove a thing.”

13. SeriousFan09 says:

Habs are superior to the Leafs in roster quality and that’s not exactly a secret. Do you think Gionta and Cammalleri are going to be keep being snakebitten as they are? Wait for Markov to play more than 2 games as well. Top players tend to shift how games go.

14. HabFanSince72 says:

1. Again – you said he has no experience. I pointed out that the best coaches these days are young guys. Doesn’t mean being young is a garantee of success, but it negates your point.

2. No, the Memorial Cup isn’t proof that he will win, it’s a refutation of your dismissal of his coaching record.

3. Boucher and Roy? You can’t think of any other succesful NHL coaches who started in the Q?

15. SeriousFan09 says:

Sorry if I don’t equate the Memorial Cup in Juniors with being a giant credential for coaching in the NHL. Bob Bougher coached back-to-back Memorial wins with Windsor and he’s serving an assistant position in Columbus. I’m pretty sure some other coachs have won Memorial Cups as well, are they shoo-ins for NHL jobs? It’s called climbing the ladder, go ride the buses in the AHL or serve as an assistant in the NHL.

He hasn’t proven he can coach professionals, which is a tool required for the NHL.

16. HabFanSince72 says:

Now you’re being silly.

You said he has never won anything except as a goalie.

His Memorial Cup win and consistent success with the Remparts refutes that statement.

Of course, there is no proof that Patrick will be a good coach in the NHL but he has all the tools.

Importantly, like Gainey and Martin (but for different reasons) I think he will be able to stand up to the abuse that comes with the job.

17. PrimeTime says:

Your Titanic reference in your avator sure looks more like Burke than Gauthier

18. TripleX says:

Actually I think it is funny to have a feeling of superiority with one less loss and three more points so far this season.  Maybe I don’t see this massive gap that you do.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

19. SeriousFan09 says:

1. Specious argument, just because he’s a young coach doesn’t mean he’ll be a new Clouston or Boucher. Clouston and Boucher still had AHL credentials to stand on, hoping from Junior to NHL hasn’t produced much.

2. Memorial Cup is good, but than by that logic we should toss the Windsor Spitfires Bob Bougher who just repeated the Memorial a Top position, but he’s an assistant to the head coach in Columbus. I’m tired of guys like Mcguire or Roy walking around thinking they deserve top jobs without having to do some grunt work at the pro levels.

3. Boucher and Roy do not a coaching pipeline make.

20. TripleX says:

Dude you must have me mistaken for someone else.  I never put down the Leafs or any team really, and I never overestimate the Habs.

I have consistently said I won’t make a valuation of this team until after the first Western road trip.  I just think it is silly to think this team is so much better than the bottom feeders.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

21. SeriousFan09 says:

Brent Sutter has a WJC Win.

How’s that workin’ out for him?

22. Mark C says:

Honestly, why do you hate PG and JM so much? Weber is another right-handed shot, what does he offer the PP that Subban doesn’t? Weber in his NHL experience to date hasn’t shown he is an NHL caliber player, and this is coming from a Weber backer. I don’t see why his development should side tracked, this is an important year for him to prove he has the defensive ability to make it in the NHL.

Do you really think PG and JM are not thinking outside the box, when they would rather not risk stunting Weber’s growth to bring him up under those terms? At best he offers a slight upgrade to the second unit, while he downgrades the team 5 on 5 by being a winger.

23. saskhabfan says:

You were singing a whole different tune a couple weeks ago when the standings were reversed. Gotta love those consistently inconsistent posts.

I think I know more than most about hockey and believe my opinions are almost always reasonable and thought out.-manapart.

24. SeriousFan09 says:

Well considering we were told watch out for the Leafs because they’re way better than last year, than dropped 6 of 7, it’s pretty damn funny.

25. avatar_58 says:

That first goal was rough. I had a bad feeling after that, never was confident he would stop em. Glove side yes, he made some good saves.

Also AVTSIN. Geez…..I kept waiting for this guy every game I went to and finally got what I wanted :D

26. badbalance says:

Sometimes your best just isn’t good enough. Hahaah Laffs still blow.

27. TripleX says:

After 12 games the Habs have 15 pts and the terrible Leafs have 12 pts.

Yeah Montreal has every reason to feel superior.  Really?

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

28. SeriousFan09 says:

Still pretty green to the AHL, I like his glove though, blocker side seems to be his issue.

29. HabFanSince72 says:

1. I’m not sure that matters. Ken Hitchcock, Pat Quinn, Barry Melrose all had coaching experience last year. Ron Wilson has coaching experience. Seems the young coaches are the best coaches. Roy has been coaching very well for four years in Junior.

2. He’s a proven winner as a coach and GM in junior hockey. Won the Memorial Cup with his “weak sister” team (as Andrew says).

3. Not at the coaching level.

30. avatar_58 says:

Yeah I was at the game. Exciting! I think Mayer needs work however……he’s a heartattack goalie

31. andrewberkshire says:

He’s won a memorial cup man. That’s being a proven winner.

Paul, half the gang on here thinks they can coach in this league, no shortage of candidates.

Thanks for the update Robert.!

34. badbalance says:

HOw many points in the last how many games?

35. badbalance says:

And lose the game in shootouts.

36. Matt_in_TO says:

Growing up in Montreal it was the Bruins but ever since I moved to TO, hands down it’s the Leafs and by a wide margin.  They are the most useless fans on the planet.

- In Price We Trust

37. badbalance says:

Still the leafs, us and the broons got different enemies now, lots of teams hate us.

38. samTHEman says:

WOW. What a show. 3 goals in 3 minutes, they come back, grab a point, only to see Ovy and Semin absolutely tear them apart in the shootout. Dandy.

39. SeriousFan09 says:

Bulldogs win a wild one with the Manitoba Moose with a 5-4 in the Shootout.

Aaron Palushaj notches a goal and two assists, Max Pacioretty has a goal and assist as did Mathieu Carle, David Desharnais had an assist. Robert Mayer had 25 saves on 29 shots and stopped 3 of 4 shooters in the shootout.

Palushaj and Avtsin scored in the SO to win it. Ryan Russell also had a goal and assist and scored in the shootout, Frederic St Denis had a pair of assists as well.

40. habs001 says:

well leafs played last night and get a point in wash who were off…so please no excuse this sat that we played the night before

41. larisalapointe says:

We got a winner!

42. Chuck says:

Aaaaand… the Leafs have now lost 6 of the last 7.

Centre Hice: Major blackout hits Montreal

43. saskhabfan says:

Yup,1 win in 8 games and they shouldn’t even have won the game they did win due to a terrible non call. All kinds of goals and comebacks on the leafs part can’t you tell by their great record which leaves them outside the playoffs.

44. habs001 says:

that is what you may have to do,,,as moen,pyatt,darche,lapps,helpern,boyd will get goals but mostly because of luck or bad goaltending….they cannot be counted on to score in reg season…they are more valuable in playoff hockey

45. SeriousFan09 says:

He’s got no professional coaching experience.

He’s not a proven winner outside of tending nets as a player.

The Q is the weak sister of the CHL leagues.

46. samTHEman says: