Habs legends Elmer, Butch share the wealth

Canadiens alumni president Réjean Houle has a laugh at one of Elmer Lach’s bon mots before today’s news conference in Pointe-Claire.
Graham Hughes, Gazette

Last December’s retirement of the jerseys of Canadiens Hall of Famers Elmer Lach and Émile (Butch) Bouchard did more than hoist their respective No. 16 and No. 3 to the rafters of the Bell Centre.

The Canadiens, through their Children’s Foundation, gave $25,000 to each man to donate to the charity of their choice.

Bouchard chose Fondation Pinocchio and Projet 80 to share the funds in his name.

Today, Lach took part in a news conference at Pointe-Claire’s Lakeshore General Hospital to donate his $25,000 to the hospital’s foundation for use in its pediatrics department.

The release from the hospital appears below. To both Elmer and Butch: well done!

Hospital news release:

Elmer Lach and the Montreal Canadiens Children’s Foundation Give $25,000 to the LGH Foundation upon Jersey Retirement

Pointe-Claire, QC – The Lakeshore General Hospital (LGH) Foundation is proud to announce that the proceeds from the retirement of Montreal Canadiens jersey No. 16, worn by legendary Punch Line member Elmer Lach, will be donated to the foundation in a ceremony to be held Nov. 3.

A cheque in the amount of $25,000 will be presented to the LGH Foundation at the ceremony.

Upon Mr. Lach’s request, the funds from his jersey number retirement will be directed to the paediatrics department of the Lakeshore General Hospital.

Renowned hockey broadcaster Dick Irvin Jr. will be on hand to welcome and introduce Mr. Lach, who played on the Montreal Canadiens for 14 seasons, from 1940-1954. Also attending will be Canadiens Alumni Association President Réjean Houle, on behalf of the Canadiens Children’s Foundation. Mr. Houle will present the cheque on behalf of the Montreal Canadiens.

A Hart Memorial Trophy winner, a member of the first NHL All-Star team, and a Hockey Hall-of-Famer since 1966, Mr. Lach is presently the oldest living Montreal Canadiens player. We are truly honoured to be the recipient of his generosity, and to become a part of such a celebrated sports tradition.

The LGH Foundation relies entirely on donor support to improve our community hospital. It strives towards health care excellence in the West Island by acquiring cutting-edge equipment that government funding alone cannot provide.

Today’s cheque presentation ceremony. From left: Canadiens alumni president Réjean Houle; Canadiens legend Elmer Lach; Lakeshore General Hospital Foundation president Silvano Orrino; LGH Foundation chairman Nick Di Tomaso; broadcaster Dick Irvin Jr., whose father, Dick Sr., was Elmer’s only coach with the Canadiens from 1940-54.

Graham Hughes, Gazette

1. HabFanSince72 says:

You know who might be a good candidate for  next Habs coach?

He’s bilingual.

He’s a proven winner.

His team is in first place in the LHJMQ right now …

2. habs001 says:

we can mix and match lines ..reality is cammi,gion,plecks,ak46 are the only players on the team that can score goals…gomez has offensive abilities but not a goal scorer…eller has solid potential but probably not this year….the rest of the forwards on the team have very limited goal scoring talent….pouliot maybe 15-18 goals a year scorer but i dont see him doing anything more…this team will not be in the top half of the nhl in scoring….we have to maintain way above average goaltending,solid pk and pp ..

3. habs001 says:

4. larisalapointe says:

How about you pick the goalie you hate most and go with that? Giguere or Teletubbie. hahaha

5. Chuck says:

True, but my formative years were spent just east of Montreal, so physically I was closer to Boston that I am now. So you can see my conundrum.  :)

Centre Hice: Major blackout hits Montreal

6. showey47 says:

Considering you live right in the middle of leaf land and surrounded by leaf crap 24/7,i would guess the leafs.

7. Danno says:

Caps blow a third period 3-1 lead by allowing the Leafs to score three goals in three minutes and three seconds.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

8. TripleX says:

Don’t laugh too hard the Leafs just tied it up.  Seems at least they can score goals and make a comeback.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

9. TripleX says:

Makes too much sense to bring  Weber up as a PP specialist and perhaps on the wing as a fourth liner like Streit.   Don’t expect PG or JM to think outside the box.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

10. Chuck says:

I just did a search on YouTube; lots there.

Centre Hice: Major blackout hits Montreal

11. king ddd says:

we should give webber another chance. hes been impressive thus far. i can be the  guy who takes those blasts.

.::DON’T MESS WITH THE MOENATOR!::.

12. king ddd says:

guys where can i find highlight of 2010 olympic hockey. they are not in youtube.

.::DON’T MESS WITH THE MOENATOR!::.

13. BJT says:

I mostly agree, the entire Little 3 line needs to get going, and that would be a good we to kickstart ’em.  Regarding the top line, although Cammy isn’t scoring or grabbing too many assists, his shots have been creating rebounds which AK has been picking up, so production may drop.. but yeah, def. an upgrade on mine lol.. although maybe have Pouliot-Boyd-Pyatt as the third line, for more offense? That leaves a rock-esque fourth line of Moen-Halpern-Laps

Formerly known as Camel_Larry..
    ..”No more Looser on this teams!!” – Canadienboy

14. g says:

you see this yet

“Long before I ever wore the jersey, I wore the jersey.” Dryden

15. samTHEman says:

I would try

AK – Plek – Eller

Cammi – Gomez – Gio

Pouliot – Halpern – Lapierre

Moen – Boyd – Darche

Pyatt

16. BJT says:

Thanks for the update, man. I wonder what these 2nd & third lines would be like?

2/3: Patches/Eller/Gio

2/3: Boyd/Gomez/Pou

Pure speculation here, please spare the insults..

Formerly known as Camel_Larry..
    ..”No more Looser on this teams!!” – Canadienboy

17. samTHEman says:

Semin to Green …ciaooo 1-1

18. samTHEman says:

WOOO CAPS 3-1 HAHAH

Desharnais 10GP 3G 11A 14Pts 25 SOG +5

Pacioretty 10GP 3G 9A 12Pts 45 SOG +4

Weber 10GP 6G 4A 10Pts 29SOG

Maxwell 9GP 3G 6A 9Pts 29SOG -1

Palushaj 5GP 2G 7A 9Pts 9SOG +5

Desharnais and Pacioretty are 6th and 13th in the whole AHL in scoring respectively. At that rate, Palushaj will join them.

Weber leading all AHL defencemen in goals and points. (Tied at 1st)

19. Chuck says:

My other food-related Python sketch is Mr. Creosote.

“Eeets waay-fare theen.”

Centre Hice: Major blackout hits Montreal

20. Chuck says:

At this point, getting minutes in the AHL will do a lot more for him that sitting in the pressbox in Montreal. It’ll be short-term pain for long-term gain for him.

Centre Hice: Major blackout hits Montreal

21. Chuck says:

Of course, Miller will be healed and we won’t be shooting against a guy with 2 career games on Friday….

Centre Hice: Major blackout hits Montreal

22. newbrunswick troy says:

After watching the first 12-13 games ..and seeing the teams first losing streak, i am not too worried overall, but one thing thats does give me the shakes it the Gomez,Gionta & ? line. I mean after 13 games the problem should be getting close to being worked out, but still its not and that duo keep playing the same way, getting notch much at all for scoring chances!!!!!

I,m no NHL guru or anything but i am getting sure of the fact that they may not be able to fix this line????

hope i,m wrong but something like 12-15% of the season is already gone!!!!!

23. mike g says:

Love it…

Sabres getting spanked at home, 3-0 after the 1st period and they were booed off the ice.

Man, I hate that team and Lindy Ruff.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

24. samTHEman says:

pierre will always be pierre.

he has this “know-it-all, feel-so-confident” attitude and is so biased it’s disgusting

25. habs001 says:

the goal is to make the playoffs…it makes no difference where we finish as any team we play will be difficult…there will be many wins and loses where the game looks like yesterday..if we get a couple of breaks we could have won yest…the game we won in buffalo was no different than yest…people have to realize that we have 7-8 forwards that are really not goal scorers and probably never will be…right now 16 teams have scored more goals than we have and 3 are tied with us..at the end of the year we will be in the 16-23 range in scoring…

26. SeriousFan09 says:

Goal is no longer credited to Avtsin, it’s now Palushaj’s.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

27. Chuck says:

I’ll have to be sure to not be sipping on a beer withing earshot of him!

Centre Hice: Major blackout hits Montreal

28. SeriousFan09 says:

Considering he should’ve played all of 08-09 and likely most of 09-10 in the AHL, it really is in his best interest to develop down there.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

29. Mark C says:

Good on Max-Pac for having the self-realization that his game and development needs AHL seasoning. It’s also worth noting that the difference in pay from playing a full season in the AHL and not the NHL costs him $810,000.

30. mike g says:

I’m watching it too….

And Pierre McGuire is proving to be an even bigger dummy that I put him out to be.

Luke Schenn just hit a Caps player, borderline interference because the puck wasn’t even near them, and Pierre was cheering for Schenn.

Like, seriously? You’re an announcer Pierre, please don’t cheer.

And then Ovechkin smashed Kaberle, and Pierre had no reaction. It shows so much that he loves Crosby so much more than OVI.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

31. Bryan says:

That’s pretty weird, but I see his point.  He’s looking long term, which is good.

Plus players always do well in the NHL after dominating the AHL for awhile.  Look at Cammalleri for example.

_______________________________

The Habs are making me slightly less bi-polar.

32. punkster says:

And he’s just warming up for the Saturday night “Quote of the Game” which we’ll have the good fortune of hearing live. Ah, good times.

33. SeriousFan09 says:

Bulldogs up 2-1 on the Manitoba Moose early, Alex Avtsin back in the lineup with a goal and Max Pacioretty has scored now scored a goal in 3 consecutive games now.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

34. observer says:

not much. like a couple of bucks plus they seemed to last longer than these couple of hundred dollar sticks today do.

35. JasonM says:

Damnit James!

lol

36. JD_ says:

The Restaurant Sketch has always been my favourite Python piece.

“But they’re good people, and they’re kind people, and together we were beginning to get over this dark patch…there was light at the end of the tunnel…now this…now this…”

Eric Idle’s made the world a better place.

Love it.

37. Mark C says:

He’ll get 25 goals easily, we’re talking about a player with a .021% SH% right now. Since his rookie season, Gionta has finished the season with a SH% north off .10% 5 out of his 7 season, with the low water mark of .081% in 2008-09. The odds of Gionta’s SH% and goal total not reverting to the norm (or close to it) is very low.

38. punkster says:

Hope springs eternal Rob. Sometimes that’s all we have. Nobody’s taking his contract, we’re stuck with the bill so we can only hope he snaps out of his funk.

Hey, great segue. Gomez has got to follow Tower’s suggestion and funkifize:

39. aemarchand11 says:

Pacioretty Wants to play out the season in Hamilton.

2010-2011

40. Propwash says:

Pfffffwaaaaaaahahahahahahaaaaaa!

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

41. punkster says:

Annnnd…hot tea spit on the keyboard.

42. SmartDog says:

And Gomez is on pace for 21 points.  Nice.  I mean, he’s grossly overpaid, but that is pathetic.  I hope he ends up with at least 60 points but that looks like dreaming in technicolour now.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

43. JD_ says:

If that were Gionta’s sustainable shooting %, doubt he’d have his two kids to boast about.

44. samTHEman says:

Watching Caps Leafs. Leafs are going to get a beating!!

45. lefreak says:

yes, but i’m sure i’ll laugh harder in april.

46. showey47 says:

At this current pace gionta will only score 7 goals but will get about 330 shots on net. I’m confident gio will still pot around 25 or so this year if he plays all 82. Those pucks will start going in,hopefully sooner then later.

47. Chuck says:

Where the hell were you this summer before I took the plunge?  :)

Centre Hice: Major blackout hits Montreal

48. Chuck says:

Maple Leafs.

Is that funny enough for you?

Centre Hice: Major blackout hits Montreal

49. mike g says:

I’m flattered, dog….

But honestly, that quote shouldn’t be tops of the day. It proves it’s been a gloomy day here…

I’ll take it tho, and scratch that off my buckett list.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

50. lefreak says:

keep em coming fellas, not quite nimated gif.s of sean avery playing hockey with a kielbasa…but i suppose beggars cannot be choosers.

51. Slovak says:

I don’t need to use sword to protect myself :)

52. SmartDog says:

My favorite HIO quote of the day goes to Mike G:

Does posting stuff like this make you happy in your pants or something?

LOL   Funny.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

53. Habhopeful says:

No there isn’t…

“I went to see a fight the other night…And A hockey game broke out!” ~Rodney Dangerfield~

54. mike g says:

Joel Bouchard getting a beating from my boy, Mike Richards….

Look how Joel keeps his hands up while skating away from a 20 year old, the same way they stay up everytime he talks on tv.

Ask him to analyze that video on RDS next time, and ask him why his pants were filled with poo.

LMAO, Joel Bouchard….Oyoyoye…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

55. punkster says:

There are exceptions.

56. Storm Man says:

He is just a Halak fan. Team is way over his head at this point.

57. andrewberkshire says:

Well crap, there goes my plans.

58. Storm Man says:

Great video of you.

59. punkster says:

Marriage is like a deck of cards, in the beginning all you need is two hearts and a diamond.

By the end you’ll wish you had a f**king club and a spade…..

60. JohnBellyful says:

All this talk about the old days triggered by the article on the Habs legends has me waxing nostalgic. Back to playing street and pond hockey in the early ’60s, with each participant taking on the namesake of his hero. Mine, of course, was Jean Beliveau. But, in trying to recreate some of those memorable moments, I tried to recall some of the hockey sticks popular in my youth: Sherwood, Hespeler, CCM… There must have been more but what were they, old-timers, and do you remember how much we paid for them back then? Just wondering…

61. Slovak says:

Watch this – real fight – driver VS taxidriver in Prague:

62. SeriousFan09 says:

Another take on Old Spice Ads.

A lesson in Self Defence.

A clinic that somewhat reminds me of some days on Habs I/O.

And if you’ve ever worked food service, a must.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

63. Propwash says:

So, I guess you’re a St. Louis fan?

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

64. lefreak says:

ole freaky over here could really use some cheering up today. if you have something funny to post please do.

65. SeriousFan09 says:

With not even a quarter of the NHL season completed. Michael Del Zotto was a heavy favourite for the Calder Trophy this time last season.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

66. mike g says:

Hey..

Does posting stuff like this make you happy in your pants or something?

Does it bring you happiness in your life?

I’m sure it does, because you always seem to bring your hero into this site.

It’s enough, please….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

67. Slovak says:

Trolling or not there are only 2 names in the talk :)

68. SeriousFan09 says:

Lot of early trolling talk around here.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

69. Habhopeful says:

ok this is really buggin me, anyone else in a yahoo fantasy hockey pool? is Parise I.R Eligible for you? because he is not for me and he is out 3 months! Anyone!? thanks!

70. SmartDog says:

I wonder what these guys think of the team today.  Team culture. Motivation.  Good players, bad players.  THAT would be an interesting read.  Not as important as this…. but, um, interesting.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!