Habs legends Elmer, Butch share the wealth

Canadiens alumni president Réjean Houle has a laugh at one of Elmer Lach’s bon mots before today’s news conference in Pointe-Claire.
Graham Hughes, Gazette

Last December’s retirement of the jerseys of Canadiens Hall of Famers Elmer Lach and Émile (Butch) Bouchard did more than hoist their respective No. 16 and No. 3 to the rafters of the Bell Centre.

The Canadiens, through their Children’s Foundation, gave $25,000 to each man to donate to the charity of their choice.

Bouchard chose Fondation Pinocchio and Projet 80 to share the funds in his name.

Today, Lach took part in a news conference at Pointe-Claire’s Lakeshore General Hospital to donate his $25,000 to the hospital’s foundation for use in its pediatrics department.

The release from the hospital appears below. To both Elmer and Butch: well done!

Hospital news release:

Elmer Lach and the Montreal Canadiens Children’s Foundation Give $25,000 to the LGH Foundation upon Jersey Retirement

Pointe-Claire, QC – The Lakeshore General Hospital (LGH) Foundation is proud to announce that the proceeds from the retirement of Montreal Canadiens jersey No. 16, worn by legendary Punch Line member Elmer Lach, will be donated to the foundation in a ceremony to be held Nov. 3.

A cheque in the amount of $25,000 will be presented to the LGH Foundation at the ceremony.

Upon Mr. Lach’s request, the funds from his jersey number retirement will be directed to the paediatrics department of the Lakeshore General Hospital.

Renowned hockey broadcaster Dick Irvin Jr. will be on hand to welcome and introduce Mr. Lach, who played on the Montreal Canadiens for 14 seasons, from 1940-1954. Also attending will be Canadiens Alumni Association President Réjean Houle, on behalf of the Canadiens Children’s Foundation. Mr. Houle will present the cheque on behalf of the Montreal Canadiens.

A Hart Memorial Trophy winner, a member of the first NHL All-Star team, and a Hockey Hall-of-Famer since 1966, Mr. Lach is presently the oldest living Montreal Canadiens player. We are truly honoured to be the recipient of his generosity, and to become a part of such a celebrated sports tradition.

The LGH Foundation relies entirely on donor support to improve our community hospital. It strives towards health care excellence in the West Island by acquiring cutting-edge equipment that government funding alone cannot provide.

Today’s cheque presentation ceremony. From left: Canadiens alumni president Réjean Houle; Canadiens legend Elmer Lach; Lakeshore General Hospital Foundation president Silvano Orrino; LGH Foundation chairman Nick Di Tomaso; broadcaster Dick Irvin Jr., whose father, Dick Sr., was Elmer’s only coach with the Canadiens from 1940-54.

Graham Hughes, Gazette

1. larisalapointe says:

LOL, OK, whose uniform is uglier? If not, which team has more players you could stomache playing for the Habs?

2. samTHEman says:

True, so split Plek Gio Cam AK on 2 seperate lines.

AK-Plek-Eller

Gionta-Gomez-Cam

3. SeriousFan09 says:

It’s his 3rd game of the season, plenty of time for him to work his way up the lineup.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

4. HabFanSince72 says:

No brainer: the Bruins.

5. scrowe21 says:

Avtsin scores in the shootout after barely getting any minutes all game

6. HabFanSince72 says:

You know who might be a good candidate for  next Habs coach?

He’s bilingual.

He’s a proven winner.

His team is in first place in the LHJMQ right now …

7. habs001 says:

we can mix and match lines ..reality is cammi,gion,plecks,ak46 are the only players on the team that can score goals…gomez has offensive abilities but not a goal scorer…eller has solid potential but probably not this year….the rest of the forwards on the team have very limited goal scoring talent….pouliot maybe 15-18 goals a year scorer but i dont see him doing anything more…this team will not be in the top half of the nhl in scoring….we have to maintain way above average goaltending,solid pk and pp ..

8. habs001 says:

9. larisalapointe says:

How about you pick the goalie you hate most and go with that? Giguere or Teletubbie. hahaha

10. Chuck says:

True, but my formative years were spent just east of Montreal, so physically I was closer to Boston that I am now. So you can see my conundrum.  :)

11. showey47 says:

Considering you live right in the middle of leaf land and surrounded by leaf crap 24/7,i would guess the leafs.

12. Danno says:

Caps blow a third period 3-1 lead by allowing the Leafs to score three goals in three minutes and three seconds.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

13. TripleX says:

Don’t laugh too hard the Leafs just tied it up.  Seems at least they can score goals and make a comeback.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

14. TripleX says:

Makes too much sense to bring  Weber up as a PP specialist and perhaps on the wing as a fourth liner like Streit.   Don’t expect PG or JM to think outside the box.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

15. Chuck says:

I just did a search on YouTube; lots there.

16. king ddd says:

we should give webber another chance. hes been impressive thus far. i can be the  guy who takes those blasts.

.::DON’T MESS WITH THE MOENATOR!::.

17. king ddd says:

guys where can i find highlight of 2010 olympic hockey. they are not in youtube.

.::DON’T MESS WITH THE MOENATOR!::.

18. BJT says:

I mostly agree, the entire Little 3 line needs to get going, and that would be a good we to kickstart ‘em.  Regarding the top line, although Cammy isn’t scoring or grabbing too many assists, his shots have been creating rebounds which AK has been picking up, so production may drop.. but yeah, def. an upgrade on mine lol.. although maybe have Pouliot-Boyd-Pyatt as the third line, for more offense? That leaves a rock-esque fourth line of Moen-Halpern-Laps

Formerly known as Camel_Larry..
    ..”No more Looser on this teams!!” – Canadienboy

19. g says:

you see this yet

“Long before I ever wore the jersey, I wore the jersey.” Dryden

20. samTHEman says:

I would try

AK – Plek – Eller

Cammi – Gomez – Gio

Pouliot – Halpern – Lapierre

Moen – Boyd – Darche

Pyatt

21. BJT says:

Thanks for the update, man. I wonder what these 2nd & third lines would be like?

2/3: Patches/Eller/Gio

2/3: Boyd/Gomez/Pou

Pure speculation here, please spare the insults..

Formerly known as Camel_Larry..
    ..”No more Looser on this teams!!” – Canadienboy

22. samTHEman says:

Semin to Green …ciaooo 1-1

23. samTHEman says:

WOOO CAPS 3-1 HAHAH

Desharnais 10GP 3G 11A 14Pts 25 SOG +5

Pacioretty 10GP 3G 9A 12Pts 45 SOG +4

Weber 10GP 6G 4A 10Pts 29SOG

Maxwell 9GP 3G 6A 9Pts 29SOG -1

Palushaj 5GP 2G 7A 9Pts 9SOG +5

Desharnais and Pacioretty are 6th and 13th in the whole AHL in scoring respectively. At that rate, Palushaj will join them.

Weber leading all AHL defencemen in goals and points. (Tied at 1st)

24. Chuck says:

My other food-related Python sketch is Mr. Creosote.

“Eeets waay-fare theen.”

25. Chuck says:

At this point, getting minutes in the AHL will do a lot more for him that sitting in the pressbox in Montreal. It’ll be short-term pain for long-term gain for him.

26. Chuck says:

Of course, Miller will be healed and we won’t be shooting against a guy with 2 career games on Friday….

27. newbrunswick troy says:

After watching the first 12-13 games ..and seeing the teams first losing streak, i am not too worried overall, but one thing thats does give me the shakes it the Gomez,Gionta & ? line. I mean after 13 games the problem should be getting close to being worked out, but still its not and that duo keep playing the same way, getting notch much at all for scoring chances!!!!!

I,m no NHL guru or anything but i am getting sure of the fact that they may not be able to fix this line????

hope i,m wrong but something like 12-15% of the season is already gone!!!!!

28. mike g says:

Love it…

Sabres getting spanked at home, 3-0 after the 1st period and they were booed off the ice.

Man, I hate that team and Lindy Ruff.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

29. samTHEman says:

pierre will always be pierre.

he has this “know-it-all, feel-so-confident” attitude and is so biased it’s disgusting

30. habs001 says:

the goal is to make the playoffs…it makes no difference where we finish as any team we play will be difficult…there will be many wins and loses where the game looks like yesterday..if we get a couple of breaks we could have won yest…the game we won in buffalo was no different than yest…people have to realize that we have 7-8 forwards that are really not goal scorers and probably never will be…right now 16 teams have scored more goals than we have and 3 are tied with us..at the end of the year we will be in the 16-23 range in scoring…

31. SeriousFan09 says:

Goal is no longer credited to Avtsin, it’s now Palushaj’s.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

32. Chuck says:

I’ll have to be sure to not be sipping on a beer withing earshot of him!

33. SeriousFan09 says:

Considering he should’ve played all of 08-09 and likely most of 09-10 in the AHL, it really is in his best interest to develop down there.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

34. Mark C says:

Good on Max-Pac for having the self-realization that his game and development needs AHL seasoning. It’s also worth noting that the difference in pay from playing a full season in the AHL and not the NHL costs him $810,000.

35. mike g says:

I’m watching it too….

And Pierre McGuire is proving to be an even bigger dummy that I put him out to be.

Luke Schenn just hit a Caps player, borderline interference because the puck wasn’t even near them, and Pierre was cheering for Schenn.

Like, seriously? You’re an announcer Pierre, please don’t cheer.

And then Ovechkin smashed Kaberle, and Pierre had no reaction. It shows so much that he loves Crosby so much more than OVI.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

36. Bryan says:

That’s pretty weird, but I see his point.  He’s looking long term, which is good.

Plus players always do well in the NHL after dominating the AHL for awhile.  Look at Cammalleri for example.

_______________________________

The Habs are making me slightly less bi-polar.

37. punkster says:

And he’s just warming up for the Saturday night “Quote of the Game” which we’ll have the good fortune of hearing live. Ah, good times.

38. SeriousFan09 says:

Bulldogs up 2-1 on the Manitoba Moose early, Alex Avtsin back in the lineup with a goal and Max Pacioretty has scored now scored a goal in 3 consecutive games now.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

39. observer says:

not much. like a couple of bucks plus they seemed to last longer than these couple of hundred dollar sticks today do.

40. JasonM says:

Damnit James!

lol

41. JD_ says:

The Restaurant Sketch has always been my favourite Python piece.

“But they’re good people, and they’re kind people, and together we were beginning to get over this dark patch…there was light at the end of the tunnel…now this…now this…”

Eric Idle’s made the world a better place.

Love it.

42. Mark C says:

He’ll get 25 goals easily, we’re talking about a player with a .021% SH% right now. Since his rookie season, Gionta has finished the season with a SH% north off .10% 5 out of his 7 season, with the low water mark of .081% in 2008-09. The odds of Gionta’s SH% and goal total not reverting to the norm (or close to it) is very low.

43. punkster says:

Hope springs eternal Rob. Sometimes that’s all we have. Nobody’s taking his contract, we’re stuck with the bill so we can only hope he snaps out of his funk.

Hey, great segue. Gomez has got to follow Tower’s suggestion and funkifize:

44. aemarchand11 says:

Pacioretty Wants to play out the season in Hamilton.

2010-2011

45. Propwash says:

Pfffffwaaaaaaahahahahahahaaaaaa!

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

46. punkster says:

Annnnd…hot tea spit on the keyboard.

47. SmartDog says:

And Gomez is on pace for 21 points.  Nice.  I mean, he’s grossly overpaid, but that is pathetic.  I hope he ends up with at least 60 points but that looks like dreaming in technicolour now.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

48. JD_ says:

If that were Gionta’s sustainable shooting %, doubt he’d have his two kids to boast about.

49. samTHEman says:

Watching Caps Leafs. Leafs are going to get a beating!!

50. lefreak says:

yes, but i’m sure i’ll laugh harder in april.

51. showey47 says:

At this current pace gionta will only score 7 goals but will get about 330 shots on net. I’m confident gio will still pot around 25 or so this year if he plays all 82. Those pucks will start going in,hopefully sooner then later.

52. Chuck says:

Where the hell were you this summer before I took the plunge?  :)

53. Chuck says:

Maple Leafs.

Is that funny enough for you?

54. mike g says:

I’m flattered, dog….

But honestly, that quote shouldn’t be tops of the day. It proves it’s been a gloomy day here…

I’ll take it tho, and scratch that off my buckett list.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

55. lefreak says:

keep em coming fellas, not quite nimated gif.s of sean avery playing hockey with a kielbasa…but i suppose beggars cannot be choosers.

56. Slovak says:

I don’t need to use sword to protect myself :)

57. SmartDog says:

My favorite HIO quote of the day goes to Mike G:

Does posting stuff like this make you happy in your pants or something?

LOL   Funny.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

58. Habhopeful says:

No there isn’t…

“I went to see a fight the other night…And A hockey game broke out!” ~Rodney Dangerfield~

59. mike g says:

Joel Bouchard getting a beating from my boy, Mike Richards….

Look how Joel keeps his hands up while skating away from a 20 year old, the same way they stay up everytime he talks on tv.

Ask him to analyze that video on RDS next time, and ask him why his pants were filled with poo.

LMAO, Joel Bouchard….Oyoyoye…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

60. punkster says:

There are exceptions.

61. Storm Man says:

He is just a Halak fan. Team is way over his head at this point.

62. andrewberkshire says:

Well crap, there goes my plans.

63. Storm Man says:

Great video of you.

64. punkster says:

Marriage is like a deck of cards, in the beginning all you need is two hearts and a diamond.

By the end you’ll wish you had a f**king club and a spade…..

65. JohnBellyful says:

All this talk about the old days triggered by the article on the Habs legends has me waxing nostalgic. Back to playing street and pond hockey in the early ’60s, with each participant taking on the namesake of his hero. Mine, of course, was Jean Beliveau. But, in trying to recreate some of those memorable moments, I tried to recall some of the hockey sticks popular in my youth: Sherwood, Hespeler, CCM… There must have been more but what were they, old-timers, and do you remember how much we paid for them back then? Just wondering…

66. Slovak says:

Watch this – real fight – driver VS taxidriver in Prague:

67. SeriousFan09 says:

Another take on Old Spice Ads.

A lesson in Self Defence.

A clinic that somewhat reminds me of some days on Habs I/O.

And if you’ve ever worked food service, a must.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

68. Propwash says:

So, I guess you’re a St. Louis fan?

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

69. lefreak says:

ole freaky over here could really use some cheering up today. if you have something funny to post please do.

70. SeriousFan09 says:

With not even a quarter of the NHL season completed. Michael Del Zotto was a heavy favourite for the Calder Trophy this time last season.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

71. mike g says:

Hey..

Does posting stuff like this make you happy in your pants or something?

Does it bring you happiness in your life?

I’m sure it does, because you always seem to bring your hero into this site.

It’s enough, please….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

72. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Sweet.  I have some nice Roy pictures but none auto’d.  The only auto of his I have is on a hockey card.  Some of my other rare Roy cards.

73. andrewberkshire says:

Nice! When I was a kid I was a fiend for hockey cards. I remember in Moose Jaw there was a small store called The Card Counter, and I used to haggle the guy’s price’s down. Got an expensive Gretzky card for 11 bucks in ’96 for arguing “what has he done lately? 34 goals the last two seasons! while -33!”

74. showey47 says:

11 bucks? I got my gretzky rookie in a 10 cent pack of cards which included a stick of gum.

75. andrewberkshire says:

Pfft, some of us didn’t get to experience that era!

76. showey47 says:

I was a huge collector when i was a kid,probably close to 5000 cards most being from that era and into the early to mid 80’s. I still have them today and have no idea of their value. I now wonder how much money worth of cards i pissed away sticking them into the spokes of my bike to make it sound like a motorcycle?

77. punkster says:

Sudbury Saturday Night.

78. andrewberkshire says:

Last year I gave away my most expensive card at the Summit, Guy Lafleur rookie card. Don’t remember who got it. It was my dad’s when he was younger.

79. showey47 says:

LMAO, the things you don’t think about when your 10.

80. showey47 says:

dang,i wish i would have known that. I got first pick and ended up taking a set of tickets for the sens/habs which i turned around and gave to “saku’s evil twin”for a charity event.

81. _Habsoloutly_ says:

thank you.

82. andrewberkshire says:

It’s brilliant, wish I could boast something so impressive.

83. _Habsoloutly_ says:

I’m sure you’d like my other stuff,  I have a lot of habs memorabilia and Patrick Roy stuff.  That is just some of my 8×10 auto’s that I framed and stuck up on the wall, a lot of my other nice habs stuff is wrapped up in storage in Canada.

84. andrewberkshire says:

I’ve got a signed Patrick Roy picture of him lifting the cup in 1993 (the only one I was alive for), but annoyingly where the sun has shone on it the signature is faded a little. Still my prized possession though.

85. Everlasting1 says:

You don’t say. Humor escapes you.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

86. Everlasting1 says:

You called it..I’m a Leaf troll. Close counted for a point in the standings. At least they weren’t shutout.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

87. RJB says:

Yeah your right, I mean the Leafs NEVER get shut out, they are simply the best…So plucky and valiant. I wish I had more words to describe how great they are on a website dedicated to the Habs

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
    – Bilbo Baggins

88. Everlasting1 says:

My reference was in TONIGHT’S game. Capique? Pardon my french.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

89. Chuck says:

It’s “capiche”. And it’s Italian in in origin, not French.

90. sholi2000.com says:

This time tomorrow night the Greats of HIO will be having a party!  My first time out without the wife in 10 years lol……

They Call Me Shane

91. secretdragonfly says:

Just in the interest of full disclosure, there will be cameras present :)  You never know when Ian is going to break into a table dance.

92. observer says:

wouldnt be a surprise if you contacted him he’d gladly sign it for you. after his nhl career was over he still lived here and used to go to the games and between periods at the concessions level ,mingle and talk with all us peasents – an extremely friendly and nice guy.

93. habfan01 says:

A big thanks for the link. Sent an email last night. This morning around 9 am ( Iwork at home 3 days a week) the phone rings with a 514 area code. Voice asks if this is Bill. I say yes, he says this is Dickie Moore. We had a nice chat about the old days at camp, his sister and her family. He is going to have cataract surgery next week, but after that we will make arrangements to get together and he’ll sign it.

94. habfan01 says:

I know about his business, but had no idea what is was called or how to contact. You’re right- nothing ventured nothing gained. Thanks

95. rocketsglare says:

Every time I see Dick Irvin Jr. and Elmer Lach, I am reminded of the glory years of the Canadiens.

They are a living connection to the many championships the Habs have won in their glorious history.

May they both live long.

96. piche says:

Speaking of charity – are any of the players participating in the MOvember festivities?

I heard that Moen was…

97. BJT says:

Alex Henry, Captain of the ‘dogs is.

Formerly known as Camel_Larry..
    ..”No more Looser on this teams!!” – Canadienboy

98. andrewberkshire says:

Looked like Price had a stache last night.

99. Everlasting1 says:

Those plucky Leafs almost pulled off an upset, but a valiant effort.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

100. RJB says:

Yeah your Leafs came close, too bad close doesn’t count.

– Bilbo Baggins

It is going to be great to put faces to names at our HIO Summit.  See everyone at the hotel or Hurley’s Pub Friday to watch the big screen game.

Our train gets to Montreal at 11am

We will probably eat supper at the Pub before the game Friday.

Get there early to get a seat.

And don’t forget to bring your game tickets for Sat. Two people forgot them at home last year.

Raffle tickets go on sale at the pub and at the Baton Rouge rest. Lets raise some serious bucks again HIO friends, for the Gainey Children’s Foundation.

Everyone is welcome.!!

Read Ian Cobb’s HI/O Blog  for more Summit information

I just detest 3 point games, no separation in the standings. Brutal!!

103. showey47 says:

Thats what the league wants, it keeps lower teams competitve right up to the last week or so of the season. Personally i’m not a fan of giving a team a point for losing.

104. Everlasting1 says:

Disagree. It’s been one of the best changes the league has undertaken.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin Don’t pollute the water.

105. kempie says:

Agree. And I hate the “whack a guy’s stick and if it breaks, you go for 2″ rule.

106. PrimeTime says:

It’s funny…..we all enjoy this site but under different circumstances. The pessimists enjoy it more after a loss or two, and the rest don’t. After a win or two, the exact opposite is true. I wonder if as a group, we all fully understand that ???

107. samTHEman says:

True. Win or lose though, I rarely post after games. I like to sit back and relax, read the comments or watch whatever other games are on TV. Occasionally i’ll write a post, usually in reply to a “troll”.

108. samTHEman says:

You can watch Bulldogs highlights here:

Videos are on the right. Scroll t hrough the pages

109. sholi2000.com says:

lol, 9 concussions will do that to ya.  I better not go to the airport 24 hours early.  Oh my thanks Chuck!

They Call Me Shane

110. habfan01 says:

To secret dragonfly: I replied on my original post about my Dickie Moore hockey stick, but’s pretty burued, so you may not see it. I emailed last night, he called me around 9 this morning. We had a nice chat about the old days at camp, and his sister and her family. He is going to have cataract surgery next week, but after that we will make arrangements to meet and he’ll sign it. A very nice person- easy to talk with and friendly. Like most of the old habs a class act.

111. habber86 says:

Anyone else notice those sharp washington capitals scarves many fans had at their game tonight? Loved those… Would love if the Habs produced some of those, but that just may be the footie enthusiast in me speaking.

112. Everlasting1 says:

It’s all relative. A tie after regulation and OT period is not losing.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

113. Chuck says:

If you don’t win, and the other team gets more points than you, you’ve lost. The rest is just semantics.

114. showey47 says:

There are no such things as ties anymore in hockey its called an overtime/shootout loss. Not an overtime/shootout tie. Thats why they now have a shootout on top of the overtime,to decide a winner. There hasn’t been a tie in nhl hockey since april 4th 2004.

115. Everlasting1 says:

That’s what the standings are for. It only takes one point, one more regulation win to make the difference between an 8th or 9th place finish.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

116. pic1983 says:

I actually disagree. I think it makes it harder for teams low in the standings to catch up.  At the end of the season, teams in playoff positions will play more conservatively (especially when playing each other) to get the extra point.  If two teams in playoff position go to overtime, and a team who is out of playoff position wins, they only gain 1 point on one of the teams ahead of them.

This is why i advocate that the NHL should switch to 3 points for regulation win, 1 point for overtime/shootout loss, and 2 points for an overtime/shootout win.

I dont like that an extra point magically appears when the game goes to overtime.  I especially dislike when you clearly see both teams playing conservatively just to get into overtime in the late minutes of regulation when the game is tied.

117. Everlasting1 says:

A tie awards 1 point nowadays.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

118. wild flower says:

Pacioretty – a goal and seven shots on goal tonight. He was one of the stars along with Palushaj.

Sergei and Cube have goals tonight. Sergei is +2 on 3 shifts so far.

119. observer says:

it’s minor league.

120. Chuck says:

Habs get shutout = hundreds of posts.

Canadien legends donate big $$$ to children’s charities = 4 posts… and one of ‘em is about Alex Henry.

121. SeriousFan09 says:

That’s how it works, it’s always more fun to grind an axe.

Solid move by the organization and the alumni as per usual.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

122. christophor says:

Habs get shutout = hundreds of posts.

Habs get a shutout = dozens of posts.

People lean towards negative news. That’s life, unfortunately.

123. sholi2000.com says:

I hope I get to bump into Dick this weekend.

I will get on my knees and bow to his worship!  “I’m not worthy I’m not worthy” (as security drags me away yelling “adam76 made me do it”  haha :)

He and Danny were THE best in hockey!

They Call Me Shane

124. observer says:

these guys built hockey. they had to find a summer job just to exist. there were smaller rosters and ony 6 teams for nhl playing jobs. now there are 5 times as many teams with roster about a half dozen more on each one – and no talents and slugs now make a half million a year. Must turn those guys stomachs.

125. Psycho29 says:

Look at the Gumper, was NHL rookie of the year with the Rangers in 1952-53. Asked for a raise of $500 more for the next season. The request was refused and he was sent to the minor leagues for the entire 1953-54 season.

The players had absolutely no leverage with management…

126. Bill H says:

I am glad the Leafs at least get a point in the overtime loss against Washington.  I know many here would love to see the Leafs lose every might, but remember that if they have another bad season, Boston gets another top 5 pick next June.  I’m a lot more worried about Boston than Toronto.

127. Bugs says:

Not enough posters bring this up. Yet, it is nonetheless a frightful proposition we must be considerably more wary of. I’m adding you to the list, Mr.H. You’re Agent 12. A parcel will be left for you at Bonaventure. Ask for the teller Reggie.

Laughing at the leafs is fine if it doesn’t affect us. This time, their utter stupidity as a professional sports organization has. If they bottom out again, we got Boston in our way for a looooong time. And uh, well, they hate us. They hate us more than anybody. They’ll be after us. And they’ll have the beef to do it this time.

Can’t have that.

The leafs must finish 9th. Stupid and pathetic as they may be.

Spuriously furious, I swear as

128. habs001 says:

last year in the regular season lack of scoring reared its head regularly but it was felt it was due to injuries…while its early in the season we are in the same goals for postion 23rd as we finished last year…6 teams with fewer goals have one,two and even three games in hand….i believe we will continue to be a 1-3 goals a game team most nights…this is why we have to maintain the pk stats and greatly improve the pp …

129. habs-hampton says:

You could argue that we have much better scoring 5-on-5 (I don’t have the stats), and our PP can only get better. I think we’ll be a top 20 team in scoring when Markov, Gionta, Gomez get it together.

130. kirkiswork says:

Often these newfangled sticks break incredibly easily.

131. Psycho29 says:

Be careful you don’t get arrested. That sort of activity is frowned upon West of the Plateau.

:-)

132. SLONCOLD says:

gezzz what a post…. lol

Some of us were living and dreaming in the Elmer days. The fellows of that era were true sportsmen and always were community minded. They road the trains to all the original six cities in those days, for little pay. But they always were involved in giving to charity.

Not like a lot of the spoiled brats playing the game today.

134. habfan01 says:

Have a story with a question at the end- bear with me. In the early 50’s my parents built a camp on Lake Champlain. Started renting to a couple from Montreal for a couple of weeks every summer. Turns out the wife’s brother was Dickie Moore. Occasionally he would come down and stay a couple of days. Once in awhile, my parents would visit his sister in the winter and go to a game. One time Dickie gave them a stick and puck from the game. Last year when we had to sell my mother’s house, I inherited the stick( puck is long gone). Does anyone know how, or who I can contact to get Dickie to autograph the stick?

135. secretdragonfly says:

Great story – you may not be aware but Dickie Moore runs a very successful equipment rental business in Montreal (see attached link).  You have nothing to lose by sending them an email with your request that it be passed along, and who knows?

136. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Thats why these guy’s pictures and auto’s are hanging on my office wall

137. Danno says:

Magnificent!

Your Wall of Fame is a beautiful thing.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

138. andrewberkshire says:

Your office wall is unbelievably awesome.

139. Chuck says:

What it that jersey that the Rocket is wearing?  :)

140. SeriousFan09 says:

Your office rules.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

141. secretdragonfly says:

I think there’s a little office envy going on – puts my shrine to shame.  Oh well, raising the bar is a good thing.

142. _Habsoloutly_ says:

It was probably just for the photoshoot.

143. Chuck says:

Haha! Complete with a removable “C” so that the next guy could wear the sweater.  :)

144. _Habsoloutly_ says:

thank you.  it is my wall of fame, I have a few more auto’d Hab 8×10’s but I’m running out of room here to display everything.

145. Chuck says:

There’s only one thing to do: get a bigger office.  :)

146. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Thats only one wall.  There are three other’s, lol.  But not all of it on the other walls is habs stuff.  I have Gretzky, Orr, Howe, Roy and Lemieux on the other walls.