Habs ink three-year deal with Sportsnet for regional TV coverage

Sportsnet announced on Tuesday that it has reached a three-year broadcast rights agreement with the Canadiens for regional coverage of the team’s games. Sportsnet becomes the official English-language regional television rights holder for Habs games.

And on Wednesday Rogers announced details about its new NHL GameCentre LIVE, an upgraded online destination for streaming live NHL action on any screen. See link below for more details.

The Canadiens’ regional broadcast area includes Quebec, Ontario east of Belleville/Pembroke and Atlantic Canada. The regional broadcast regulations are set by the NHL and regional games are blacked out outside the regional area.

The new Sportsnet deal includes 42 regional games with 39 of them on Sportsnet East and three on City Montreal. When combined with the national package of 40 Canadiens games, Sportsnet will deliver all 82 regular-season games to Habs fans within the regional broadcast area across nine channels, including CBC, City, Sportsnet (East, Ontario, West and Pacific), Sportsnet ONE, Sportsnet 360 and FX Canada.

“The Canadiens are one of the most storied franchises in all of sports,” Scott Moore, president, Sportsnet and NHL, Rogers, said in a statement. “Today’s agreement, combined with our national package, allows us to serve Eastern Canada and connect Habs fans to their beloved team by creating a one-stop-shop to watch all of the games.”

Said Kevin Gilmore, the Canadiens’ executive vice-president and chief operating officer: “The Montreal Canadiens are pleased to have concluded an English-language regional broadcasting agreement with Sportsnet that will enable a greater number of Habs hockey fans in the province of Quebec and in Eastern Canada to see the Canadiens in action. Over the years, Sportsnet has acquired a strong reputation with the quality of their hockey broadcasts and this agreement will continue to enhance the hockey experience on television for our fans.”

TVA Sports and RDS will combine to televise all 82 regular-season games in French. RDS announced on Wednesday that it will also televise all seven Canadiens preseason games.

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

Canadiens on Sportsnet (with complete schedule), Canadiens.com

Rogers promises fewer blackout restrictions on NHL GameCentre Live, montrealgazette.com

Rogers GameCentre LIVE lifts more blackouts, Sportsnet.ca

RDS to televise all seven Habs preseason games, RDS.ca

Who owns rights to what NHL games, fagstein.com

Fans invited to attend Red vs. White scrimmage at Bell Centre on Sept. 22, Canadiens.com

Former Hab Darche adjusts to life after hockey, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Habs listed at 18-1 odds to win Stanley Cup, Stu on Sports blog

Former Hab Gorges arrives in Buffalo, Stu on Sports blog

1. Hobie says:

I guarantee that each and every person west of Belleville can makeup the cost of having to pay for Center Ice by calling your cable, internet a cell phone providers and haggling.

There are currently people around the country ditching cable like wildfire. With the popularity of Netflix, news stations and other avenues available online the cable companies are trying to hang onto their customers.

At the moment you are probably paying for some features you don’t need on your cell phone, you can tell your cable company you are also thinking of cancelling your cable and just using the internet, plus a few other tricks.

Worse case scenario is you knock $35 bucks off all your services and replace them with the $35 you’ll have to pay for Center Ice.

Just trying to offer up some suggestions guys. Have a great day!

• Loop_Garoo says:

You are absolutely correct Hobie. I used to work for comcast in the US when I lived in Windsor, and all cable companies are desperate for business. Very few people that I know have cable anymore, I think my parents being the exception, and I have not had cable for years.

The couple of other things to remember in this dispute, first, the number of fans, even the most die hard passionate fans who have time to watch more than 10-15 games a year is pretty small, probably less than 5% of all fans, so there is a diminishing return the more games they show for free anyway. Second, this is a product for sale like any other. If Hellman’s decides you can no longer buy it’s mayonnaise at your local grocery store, and have to drive a couple more blocks to Zehrs or Loblaws, they have that right. This is the same thing.

2. Dust says:

Of the Candadiens teams montreal will have 32 games aired nationally. 2nd to toronto with 40. All other canadien teams between 20 and 30.

Why do hab fans feel they should get all their games nationally when no others do? Whats with the entitlement.

I understand why other fans of teams don’t like habs fans. i feel the same way sometimes

3. Habfan10912 says:

Speaking of good mornings, I’m grateful I started with the most current twitter news first as I read “Crosby NOT arrested in Ottawa” before I got to the “Crosby arrested in Ottawa” tweets. Bizarre.

4. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning All and especially to you Mavid. Nice to see you on time today.

Hextall thinks he knows what happened to Del Zotto.

5. Mavid ® says:

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

6. rhino514 says:

Regarding the Desharnais comments further down the posts.
    The fancy stats guys are always hard on DD, because these stas seem to indicate that he cannot back check and his point production is average at best for a first line centre.
    However, as was pointed out down below, after 1 point in his first 19 games, DD obtained 51 points in about 62 gaes the rest of the way. In today´s low scoring league, there are actually very few centres in the league who exceeded that rate.
    Now I understand that simply removing the early season slump games are faulty logic. But in DD´s case, I really do think that the last 60 games are representative of what he brings, offensively. He may not hit seventy points this year, but I think he will hit at least sixty. Many will say that simply by playing with Pacioretty, you are guaranteed fifty points. But I don´t think that´s a fully accurate statement. In today´s game, anyone who notches at least 55 points in doing a pretty good job, unless you are surrounded by two elite wingers, in which case the former argument applies. Pacioretty is one heck of a winger, but DD had Gallagher for most of the year on his other wing, who is gritty and fairly skilled but certainly not a true first line winger.
    also, despite being seen as strictly a guy who feeds the puck to MaxPac, DD is potting an average of 16 goals per 82 games played over the last THREE seasons, and again, if not for the early season slump, he would have notched around twenty last year.

It would be interesting to have some objective stats on how much DD hurts us defensively.
    Though I am trying to defend the little guy, I do concede that out of the four natural top three centres we currently have, I would rate him fourth. But I am fully at ease with giving Galchenyuk one more year on the wing and postponing this dilemma.
    The other interesting point is that next year Plekanec will turn thirty-three early in the eason, and his point production is slowly but surely declining. The habs also have a couple of interesting centres in the pipeline. Pleks is now one of the remaining few from our ertwhile core of veteran leaders, so I can´t see the habs dispatching him…maybe if he was a year older
    There are no two ways bout it, someone is going to have to be dealt next year, and DD is the likeliest, simply because, though I think he´s a fine centre, he´s just not as valuable as the other three guys. To further complicate matters, the habs would love to hang on to one of the few francophone players on the team unless forced otherwise.
    I always go back to DD´s contract extension; the habs had likely agrred to it days before Eller had what I consider to be his break-out game. A two, or three year extension at the most, would probably have been done, had the timing been just slightly different.

• Cal says:

Imo, Pleks will be moved first. His contract ending in 2016 means he is likely gone in two seasons or less, opening up space for Chucky.

• Habfan10912 says:

Hi Rhino. There is no questioning his offensive skill set, especially his vision. I guess for me in today’s NHL, size does matter. Especially in the playoffs.

That said, he wears our sweater so I’ll root like hell for him.
      CHeers.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Perhaps GM Marc Bergevin said it best:

“”I believe you have players that get you in the playoffs, and you have players that get you through the playoffs.”

Desharnais may fill the former better than the later.

I’m a fan of Desharnais when it comes to courage and doing the best with what God gave him….yet I’m not a fan of him being a Top 6 or 1st Unit PP – that is if the Habs ever want to be able to beat a team like the LA Kings

7. Cal says:

It’s 2014 and the NHL has decided that the way to fleece fans is by using the “regional” distinction. This is also a way for Rogers to get its $433 mil/yrly investment back. I see many here are okay with it, citing the french language as a “loop hole” and plan on buying Center Ice so they can watch their Habs.
    It’s a sad day when Canadians, mostly bilingual, don’t believe the NHL and Rogers aren’t doing anything wrong. The argument seems to be that they are merely utilizing every legal method to make sure their business is profitable and they rake in every cent.
    This is a question of culture, folks. Why are Jean Beliveau and the Rocket larger than life? It’s cultural. For the last 105 years, the Habs are beyond a mere hockey team. For the old timers among us, the Habs represent the struggle against linguistic glass ceilings, the working class versus the privileged class. To argue that hockey is merely a business and the Montréal Canadiens is simply one team of thirty is missing the point entirely.

• habs001 says:

In Canada there should be no blackouts of any games involving a Canadian club…For English viewers who wish to watch all 82 games the only difference from last year is that you need to have Sportnet instead of TSN…For English viewers the cost is the same as last year..

• Maritime Ronn says:

Cal

Your sentiments and sense of history are well noted, yet denying that the NHL has morphed into a several Billion dollar Entertainment business is denying today’s reality.

Players are no longer players – they are “Assets.”
      GM’s don’t trade players – they trade “Contracts.”
      The guys don’t go to practise – they go to “Work.”
      Lawyers and Capologists rule the day, as does a Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Whether one accepts the NHL as a ‘business first’ becomes irrelevant…because that is what it is in 2014.

People can make all the minor petitions they want – they can be upset about having to pay, yet those are the realities of today.
      Entertainment costs money, and just because there was almost a free ride in the past does not mean it will continue

Because it is Entertainment, people will have to decide and make some new choices on how they will spend their discretionary income.
      Some like their beer-wine-lottery tickets-cigs or cigars-concerts-restaurants-daily Tims or Starbucks-movie theaters or pay per view-vacations or mini getaways-shopping sprees….

• Cal says:

I’m not denying what the NHL has morphed into. I have a feeling the Heritage Minister won’t see it the same way.
        Simply put, the Habs should be able to be watched in either of Canada’s official languages across the country. With the deal in place, that isn’t possible. They have to fix this.

• Maritime Ronn says:

I’ll wait until the day before the 1st exhibition game- call up my provider and ask for the details.
          I don’t know what the price will be, yet you can bet that everyone across Canada will have access to any game they want to watch.
          The question will be the price.

• Dust says:

Well. I’m not an older guy compared to you. Although i am in my 30s. For me the whole french thing hurts the habs. The way koivu was treated for not speaking french. The way cunnyworth was treated for not speaking french. It actually makes me ashamed to be a habs fan.
      i became a habs fan because of a goalie named Patrick Roy. It had nothing to do with what language he spoke. It had everything to do with how he played hockey.
      The habs should just be about the game of hockey and all this bs political bullshit should stay out of it. They would be a better hockey team for it. In my opinion.

8. Maritime Ronn says:

“The Montreal Canadiens will welcome forward Drayson Bowman to training camp on a professional tryout basis, his agent – Don Meehan – confirmed…”

Don Meehan? Well, there doesn’t appear to be any hard feelings post Subban contract….

Assets: Has a good winger’s frame and a wealth of two-way instincts. Goes into traffic areas to score. Also plays well without the puck. Has a history of scoring goals at lower levels.

Flaws: Needs to gain more bulk in order to better handle National Hockey League defensemen. Must avoid taking bad penalties that could hurt his team. Needs more consistency.

While this is just a tryout with zero guarantees for even a 2 way minimum salary contract, this may also signal the end to Travis Moen’s career as a Hab – if ever they could trade the remainder of his contract with 2 years left at $1.85M.
    Bowman – as a 13th-14th forward, would save the Habs + $1M in precious Cap Space vs. Moen.

Even if Rene Bourque stays on the right side, the Habs still have Max-Galchenyuk-Bournival-Weisse (possibly Bowman) on the left side with guys like de la Rose, Hudon, and Crisp knocking on the door.

Also interesting is that Bowman was new Hab Manny Malhotra’s line mate in Carolina last year.

9. habs001 says:

Last year if you wanted to watch every Habs game in English you needed Centre Ice,CBC and TSN…This year you will need Centre Ice,CBC and Sportnet..This is for people who are not in the Habs region….Centre Ice does not show any games of your local team as those games are available on other channels…

Last year if you wanted to watch every Habs game in French you just needed RDS..This year about half the games will be available on TVA SPORTS but it seems to get all the games in French you will have to be in the Habs region…Now they may add the regional French games to Centre Ice….I dont believe there were any French games on Centre Ice last year but i do remember in previous years there were a few as no English broadcast was available for some games so Centre Ice showed the RDS feed…

10. Habitant in Surrey says:

Second Rogers NHL Habs Update of the night

Sorry, felt compelled to do a ‘second’, since We hit 2400 ! :)

Latest 10 to sign;

Mark Lorenzetti
    just now
    Comments: I live in Edmonton and am mad that I no longer get to see my Habs play on TV. Blackouts are nonsensical, it’s not like I can go see the games live, so it makes zero sense.

Cheryl MacKay, Canada
    just now
    Comments: Please give us back all 82 games

shaun smith

Chris Lichti
    just now
    Comments: If French language broadcasts are no longer available across the country I will do everything in my power to buy products from the competition of all Rogers sponsors as well as convince anyone I can to do the same.

mike kourtellides
    just now
    Comments: no habs in london ontario why are forced to always watch the leafs who never make the playoffa.

Floyd Mann, Canada
    Comments: –

Andre Lavoie
    just now
    Comments: I live in Calgary and have enjoyed watching my beloved Habs on RDS in my native French and now I’m told that with this “great” new TV deal, I will no longer have that option. I was also told that I would not be able to get TVA Sports in my region of the country. I would like to have the option to enjoy my favorite sport in my native tongue for the entire season and the playoffs. This is Canada and it supposed to be bilingual. If Rogers did care, they would make TVA Sports available to all Canadiens.

Dan Vigneault
    just now
    Comments: This is outrageous. No one cares about the fans. It’s just all dollar signs, which they’ll be losing a ton of from Montreal fans if this isn’t rectified. I can watch the Leafs on Mars but not sure if I’ll get more than 30 Habs games north of the GTA.

Brad Noel
    just now
    Comments: Rogers owning NHL rights is a joke and they’ve made a complete mess for Montreal Canadiens fans.

John Vance
    just now
    Comments: Please offer fans west of Ontario more options and more Habs games.

________________________________________________________

Please read the Rogers NHL Habs Petition and, if You agree, please sign at; http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/no-habs-blackout-rds

I predict Rob Ford will win the mayor again. That would be awesome.

So there are two conflicting opinion re Center Ice… one that it has ALL habs games, include those broadcast nationally and one that you only gets Habs games that are not broadcast nationally.

Could it be that it was the former before the rogers-nhl deal and the latter will come into effect this season?

Anyway… not that I will ever subscribe to NHL Center Ice… just like a good fight :)

13. Garbo says:

Looks like the gravy train has ended for us Habs fans outside of Quebec.

I have been paying $5 a month for years for RDS and have been able to watch every single game. I don’t have a problem paying for access to the Habs now since we have been fortunate enough to exploit a loophole in the system for this long based on the French language.

I don’t quite understand all the entitlement expressed by many on here and find it quite funny that people are relying on the French language issue as a crutch to try and justify continued preferential treatment. Sadly we have to pay like everyone else now.

Anyway, enough ranting, I do have a purpose. Do those who subscribe to Center Ice and are located outside of Quebec also experience blackouts during the games?

Before subscribing I would like to confirm. There seems to be conflicting information on here about this issue. I am in Vancouver.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

I had Center Ice package for two years now and the only Habs games that weren’t on were the games broadcast on TSN 2 and CBC

CBC and TSN 2 are not premium channels.

I live in NB

14. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On ® says:

Shane, Centre Ice is a great product. Getting it gives you access to more games than anywhere else… and there’s no better bang for the buck for a hockey fan IF you’re willing and able to watch a ton of out-of-market hockey. The problem for myself and many Hab fans is that we don’t necessarily want access to every Coyotes or Panthers game, and certainly don’t want to have to pay for a bunch of games that we have no interest–or time–to watch. 82 Hab games plus the occasional late night west-coaster fills my free hockey-watching time. All we want is to have access Hab games, and to pay a reasonable amount to do so. RDS broadcasted nationaĺly at roughly $7/month per subscriber and made money; for Rogers to then turn around and ask us to pay over 400% more to access games that we’re not interested in just to watch our team is opportunistic and greedy.

• Chuck, every fan is like that. Every single one. If you want to watch the NHL and your fav team outside your region you pay big bucks.

Right now NHL fans are reading (well no one is reading about this because it’s a none issue) but the few that do are saying this. Oh look, Habs fans are angry because they have to pay like everyone else.

BOOWOO is what I hear from people around here.

Last season I had to pay an extra 10 bucks a month so the Jets could be on in our home. This season I’m not doing it, we go without them. If I were hard up for cash I would do the same with Center Ice……the Habs are not a necessity.

It sucks for all you guys and I am sorry for that. But what’s the real story here? RDS vs NHL? Pay up for a National coverage, but they won’t, they don’t care about a few thousand fans in the West. RDS knows where the money is, and it’s not out here.

Shane Oliver
      @sholi2000
      A Little fun during the Intermission
      Brandon Predators End Season Video

15. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On ® says:

Regional blackouts to help the ‘local’ team are a phallacy. Look at the CFL; that league almost died because they refused to show generations of fans their product unless they were sitting in the stadium. Showing the games on TV is how you cultivate new fans that will follow your league and fill your arenas and buy your merchandise for years to come. Especially with the younger generation’s ‘now’ mentallity. When this deal is over 12 years from now there will be fewer teenagers following hockey than ever before. That is not good for the game.

And how is a Habs blackout in Southern Ontario supposed to affect me, anyway? It’s not like I can even get a ticket to see the local team–the Leafs–even if I could afford one. Are they hoping that I through osmosis from watching more Leaf games on TV become a Leaf fan? Fat chance. I certainly don’t live within a reasonable driving distance from a Canadian NHL arena, so they can’t be hoping that I’ll be making the effort to attend a Jets or Oilers game for craps and giggles.

Nope…it’s all about the coin. To try to force out-of-market Hab fans, as well as fans of teams that don’t have local broadcast deals to shell out big time to watch their team. It’s unfair that a fan of the Oilers in Edmonton (or any of the Weatern teams, actually) should be expected to pay for Centre Ice to fill their schedule while Leaf fans get all of their games broadcast over a myriad of channels.

If I was to shell out for Centre Ice my cost to view the Habs will go up over 400% over last season. That’s rediculous, and it’s all to help Rogers recoup the billions that they shelled out for every NHL game in Canada. The 42 games that aren’t shown nationally for $250 plux tax… what a bargain… and that’s on top of already ponying up for cable access to the 40 national games; getting Centre Ice means that I would be paying twice for those 40. No f’n way, my friend. That money will be better spent registering my 3-year-old for winter soccer. What it means is 42 fewer opportunities for Rogers and the NHL to expose their product to a budding fan.

If Rogers really had the best interests of Canadian hockey fans in mind when they announced this deal, they whould have ensured that all Canadian teams whould have all of their games shown nationally on dedicated channels. Equal access for ALL fans. Charge me and every other household $10-12/month to access whichever team’s network I want. A Leaf and a Hab fan in the same house? Then allow them to order both networks. And every time one Canadian team plays another, Rogers gets to double-dip. Hey, at least I’m willing to throw them a bone. That’s more than I can say for how Rogers is delivering the bone to us.

• montreal ace says:

You nailed it Chuck, great post

• Dust says:

huh?
      1 you don’t need to watch every game of a team to become a fan. I grew up only watching hockey on saturday nights and the playoffs.
      This tv deal won’t affect new fans to the game. that is ludicris.
      2. An oiler fan in edmonton is forced to watch leaf games???? Maybe the national leaf games. They are also forced to watch the habs national games too i guess. They have regional broadcasts of oiler games just like the habs do. just like the leafs do, just like every other team does.
      Centre Ice isn’t new. Not at all. Regional tv rights aren’t new either. Things haven’t really changed that much. RDS doesn’t have the national rights any more. they had to grab the french regional rights though. Maybe if they stayed out of it than TVA could have had all the games nationally french… Yeah yeah, lets start this conspiracy. it’s RDS’s fault. all the games should be nationally on tva. RDS is screwing hab fans

16. Habitant in Surrey says:

@Sholi2000

Sholi, with all due respect, I and many other like Me, do not give a fig about watching other NHL teams.

I never have subscribed to Centre Ice, yet those that do, as well My provider, Telus, here in Vancouver advise Me if I did subscribe ($ 199) that many of the Habs’ games (the ONLY reason I would subscribe) are similarly subject to the NHL’s corporate national black-out rule.

In other words, for a $ 200+ premium Centre Ice I still will only receive a partial number of the 82 game schedule.

I can afford to subscribe, but I am also fighting (re The Petition) for many Habs’ fans that will not afford the cost of Centre Ice.

For a Fan like Myself, in this era when the technology and cable fundamentals exist to provide a dedicated Montreal Canadiens’ Channel, then that is the option I want to be able to subscribe to.

If that is not available presently, then I make the argument there is no practical reason for a national blackout of broadcasts in the French language.

We see things differently, obviously, Sholi.

• Been a Center Ice subscriber and not once in over 10 years has a Habs game not been on TV. Whoever talked to you is clueless.

Next, just because you don’t care about Center Ice doesn’t mean you get to trash it. Stick to your cause without dragging down a good product that I and hundreds of thousands of fans use.

Shane Oliver
      @sholi2000
      A Little fun during the Intermission
      Brandon Predators End Season Video

• habs80 says:

I live in Vancouver as well and I feel the pain and anger you have towards the all of this bullsh&t being unable to watch all 82 games. I am looking into Game center myself. I know its has blackouts, but from what I have read it will be Canucks games being blacked out due to the it being regional for anyone in BC. I am hoping that if I use my laptop or Xbox to stream game center I will be able to watch the games being broadcasted nationally. If I am able to due this it will end the need to have cable as you are able to watch games using the DVR feature with game center. I have signed your petition and hope it will make a difference. If I am forced to get game center I will not be attending any games this season even when the Habs are in town. Thanks NHL & Rogers for making it even hardier for a true die hard fan not to watch there favorite team.

• montreal ace says:

Thanks for the effort and time, you are putting in for Habs fan Habitant

• Habitant in Surrey says:

I am old enough to have watched the very first black and white television broadcast in Canada. I believe that was 1953.

I don’t usually get ‘out-there’ as an activist. But this, the effects of the Rogers’ deal and the NHL’s national black-out rule, has really got Me royally angry.

There is so much ‘wrong’ about it I don’t know where to begin.

I think I’ve received a resonance and common-passion on the issue with many Canadiens’ Fans feeling as I do. So that’s reassuring :)

17. Gehlsen says:

I remember having game center years ago and I was blacked out. I wrote to them with my ip address and they actually changed it allowing me to see all the games. I was living in Oakville at the time. I don’t know if this has been changed recently that you could contact them or they just don’t care. With the new disclosure that nhl has recently put out probably nullifies all of what I’m saying.

Les Habitant!

18. CharlieH24 says:

Hello everyone, I am a long time reader, and first time poster. What great hockey talk this website provides, it is my go-to for information on the greatest franchise in sports.

As many of you all know, Ryan Johansen is in a contract dispute with the Blue Jackets. Having put up 63 points in his first full season with the Jackets, he seems like a legit, franchise centreman. He is a RFA, and does not have arbitration rights this year. The Jackets undoubtedly want to sign him to a bridge deal, but he wants term and more money. I believe he will be paid handsomely, as he is only 22 and a big, physical presence and leader, someone you want to lock up long term for a good AAV.

I’m raising this issue because this situation could potentially happen with us, specifically with our future franchise “centerman”, Galchenyuk. If he progresses like he should, I can easily see him eclipse the 60 point mark with increased playing time/PP time. We have about 15$ million to resign AG, Gallagher, Bournival, Beaulieu and Tinordi. I am thinking they all get bridge deals at a reasonable cap hit, but who knows? I’m not sure exactly which rights all of our young RFA’s have, and what leverage they possess in contract talks.

I am wondering, do you all think there is enough money to go around to resign these kids? And if not, then who does management ship out to make this room? Bergevin clearly prefers the youth movement than holding onto vets, so I think it is a real possibility that one our vets is traded. Anyway, I hope this post brings up some healthy discussion, and I look forward to adding to the great banter on this site in years to come :)

• Gehlsen says:

Where does the 15 million come from? Is that an estimate based on the salary cap going up?. In my opinion they will all get bridge contracts based on there performance….at that point they either get traded or shipped off or let go. When the time comes I don’t see Plekanec being around so there’s monies freed up. Bournival, Bealieu, and Tinordi haven’t shown a whole lot at the nhl level to really justify a while lot of money. Galchenyuk I can see getting more if he is given the opportunity but I say that only base on being drafted high and going straight to the nhl level….but if he doesn’t show promise this year or next it’s really hard say. It could end up being a back log with other young guns in the system and that’s when MB works his magic.

I’m a long time reader as well and I don’t write as much due to my knowledge but I like to have some input if I can. To be honest most of my knowledge comes from Timo….jk lol.

Well welcome aboard…I’ve learned a lot over the years from these guys even tho I don’t know them personally but this site has taught me a great deal about what goes behind the scenes besides watching a game and I really enjoy it.

Habitant!

• savethepuck says:

Finally hockey talk. Unfortunately I saw it very late. Bournival, Tinordi, and Beaulieu will all definitely sign reasonable bridge deals. Gallagher will most likely also sign a bridge deal, but for much more money than the other 3. The wildcard here is Chucky. The Habs have no comparables to him. You can’t use the PK or Carey bridge deals as comparables because they are completely different circumstances. Chucky is a top 3 pick that entered the NHL immediately following the draft as an 18 year old. Very few of these players sign bridge deals and I am sure his agent is aware of that. It will be interesting to see based on how he does this season.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Just a Habs Fan says:

Geez doesn’t he have to put up some numbers to get your kind of treatment…..he hasn’t did anything yet for Gods sake…..I just can’t understand the excitement for what he has done so far…hopefully he will reach the lofty expectations the club and many fans hope for

• savethepuck says:

That is why I said ” It will be interesting to see based on how he does this season.”

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
          Carey Price

19. von says:

I say we march to New York and burn down the NHL’s head office.

WHO’S WITH ME!?!?

_________________________________

“Obviously it would be great, but they don’t really hang conference titles in this rink. They raise Stanley Cup banners.” – Carey Price

20. huge_polar_bear says:

So if I am with Shaw satellite in the Ottawa region are the blackouts still possible, you can’t stop the signal, right? Since it would be the same satellite as the one that feeds Montreal. This could also maybe work in the GTA. Last year I got the American commercials for the Super Bowl because that satellite also broadcasts to the US and the CRTC can’t impose the Canadian commercials. Is this a viable alternative for people on this site?

21. Gehlsen says:

This drives me up the wall…I’ve waited all summer to watch habs play to only hear this garbage. I’m canceling my cable and hopefully I can stream whatever site is out there. The thing is I don’t know wether to subscribe to a channel just to find out I’m blacked out. In this age you think you could watch and pay for what you want. If I knew I was going to get the pre season/regular season/playoffs I would pay to have it all. But to not get a straight answer just grinds my gears. Quit horsing around and give us a habs channel ffs… biggest cultural sport on this side of the hemisphere and you can’t do that??. Bunch of Neanderthals I tell yeah……greedy sob.

That’s my rant.

If you have sites that work to stream games email me at m_gehlsen@hotmail.com

Fyi in Canada there’s no law in copy writing on the internet….so stream and share all you want Jack assess(Oscar Leroy)

Les Habitant!

22. canada4l says:

When Rogers and the NHL signed the deal they guaranteed that there would be no more regional blackouts, which they lied about. However, this deal may actually be viewable coast to coast. Now I don’t know the details but Rogers owns the national rights to all the NHL games in Canada. Because of this I believe they would be able to use the regional broadcast and have it still available nationally. The main reason RDS isn’t able to show the Habs nationally anymore is because they don’t have the national rights anymore. Rogers does. Keeping fingers crossed.

23. Habitant in Surrey says:

Rogers NHL Habs Petition Update

Well we’ve been thrown a bone of an extra 8 games by the NHL, the Habs and Sportsnet for those West of Belleville to the Pacific Coast.

As I wrote below,We will not be satisfied until, one way or other, We will receive the full season 82-game schedule.

Until We do, The Petition will stay the course.

Those who have not signed the Rogers NHL Habs Petition please add Your names whether You live west, east, north or south of Quebec. Solidarity. Together, as shown, We are strong.

Latest 10 of passionate 2,380 Habs Fans to have signed The Petition. Please keep ‘em comin’ !

joe macdonald
    just now
    Comments: make it happen

Brian Kornichuk
    just now
    Comments: It shouldn’t be this hard to watch hockey in Canada…

Scott Landovskis
    just now
    Comments: I knew this Rogers exclusive rights would screw me over! I’m cancelling any Rogers based service I have! Screw Rogers!!

jack morin, Canada
    10 minutes ago
    Comments: give us our 82 hab games in ontario..in any language

Daniel Gama
    2 hours ago

patrick st-amour
    6 hours ago

Russ
    7 hours ago
    Comments: TSN and CBC, in my opinion, produce better hockey packages than Rogers Sportsnet. Im a subscriber to NHL Center Ice and have consistently avoided Rogers’ NHL coverage within the package. The commentating and overall presentation is inferior to all other forms of coverage.

Francois Desaulniers
    10 hours ago

Philippe Charlebois
    13 hours ago

Gary MacLellan
    16 hours ago
    Comments: Rogers can do better. Give us what we want.

_______________________________________________________

Please read The Rogers NHL Habs Petition, and sign at; http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/no-habs-blackout-rds

24. Center Ice is an excellent product. Thanks to Center Ice I get to watch more hockey than an y man needs, but I love the game that much. I love watching the competition, I love being able to come to HIO the day after a great night of hockey and actually knowing what I’m talking about instead of watching highlights and stats. I love other team’s different play by play, and intermission shows. You get the real word on every team through Center Ice.

Do you guys know what fans from all across the country do to be able to watch their teams. They go without, or get Center Ice. What makes us so special that we should get it for nothing? Everyone else pays to watch their teams, are we so different?

Chris, you and a whole lot of others are giving it a great go, but man, don’t start spewing over Center Ice, you clearly don’t know how great that is.

I’ve been watching Center Ice for over ten years. There is nothing in entertainment that can compare to the price of Center Ice and the amount of game they provide. NOTHING.

I own a small business. Everything cost money, if I owned the NHL, there’s no way I’m giving free passes to one group and not the next. That’s not how life is.

I don’t understand why people won’t pay to watch their Habs? I pay, been paying for over a decade to watch them. For the longest time I had to watch them in a language I never understood. I never complained.

If this was such an issue, why isn’t RDS doing anything? Why am I not seeing heaven and earth moved in the media if this was an issue? You want to know why, because it isn’t. We Habs fans are no different than any other group.

Christ there are Leaf fans all across Canada who don’t get to see their team play every night without using center Ice, and you think our fan base is big, theirs is double or triple.

Sorry about the rant, I’m all for you guys who don’t want to pay for Center Ice but as soon as you started trashing Center Ice then it’s open season on you.

Shane Oliver
    @sholi2000
    A Little fun during the Intermission
    Brandon Predators End Season Video

25. Frank2468 says:

So I may as well call Rogers and cancel my Varitie package of RDS and TVA since it’s going to be blacked out. Since my contract is up this week with Rogers I may as well ask why should I remain a customer of Rogers, since I can’t watch what I want and paying an extra $200 a year for Center Ice is just throwing good money after bad. Well guess that’s it for me watching the Habs and I’d rather put sticks in my eyes then watch the Leafs. So I guess I’ll treat this year as a lockout season until Rogers and the NHL revamp this load of Cr*p.

26. twilighthours says:

Man all this TV deal stuff hurts my brain. Does this new news make it any better for Western Habs fans? It seems like it. I hope it does, anyway.

Chin up, lads.

27. UKRAINIANhab says:

What the heck does this all mean?

Would be nice if there was a spark-notes version. Sportnet 1, 2, Sportsnet 7, Sportsnet 69, Sportsnet 14. You can get all habs games if you live in Timbucktoo but not Kalamazoo?

Ive never watched SportsNet in my life, dah dam this broadcasting thing.

28. Habitant in Surrey says:

In a perfect world, with today’s technology and capacity for consumer cable choice, each NHL team would have it’s dedicated team channel, i.e. a Canucks’ Channel, A Maple Leafs’ Channel, a Habs Channel, etc.. A Habs’ Channel, for instance, would have English and French broadcast options, 24CH, l’Anti Chambre, archived games, etc., etc..

We all know this is definitely not a perfect world, yet more realistic at this time is to convince the NHL their corporate national black-out rule of French language broadcasts have zero benefit for any NHL team in Canada and, there, an ‘exception’ should be made for their access west of Quebec.

You may not agree with me, but based on precedence allotted to Radio-Canada and RDS, and the bi-cultural, bilingual constitutional mandates unique to Canada, I believe there must be an ‘exception’ available to French language broadcasts for the Montreal Canadiens across Canada by the NHL.

Bottom-line, this, the NHL’s national corporate black-out rule, is not what the consumer numbers wants and expects in this age of cable choice and technology, whether you are an Anglophone or a Francophone.

40 games is better than 32 Habs games. But it is ‘a bone’ thrown to some pretty angry Habs’ fans.

These extra 8 games would not have been added without the effect of the Rogers NHL Habs Petition. http://bit.ly/1nLUkSk

The unrest and protest among Habs fans over the past few months were thankfully heard by Geoff Molson and Rogers, and were obviously part of the negotiations. I have to thank them for hearing our concern.

It shows when fans/consumers show assertive action to issues they find wrong and offensive to their intelligence and demands, one can make a difference.

When something flies in the face of logic and what is right, never sit back and take what a corporation wants to do with your rear-end.

Saying that however, though I sincerely believe that Mr. Molson, Mr. Pelley and Mr. Moore (there may have been others) lobbied Mr. Bettman to throw unhappy/angry Habs fans a bone, there is still a demand from tens of thousands West of Quebec that feel the NHL’s corporate national black-out rules remains a red-herring in Canada.

Especially the fact the black-out of French-language national broadcasts of an 82-game Montreal Canadiens’ schedule make zero-effect to the local ratings for the Canucks, Flames, Oilers, Jets or the Maple Leafs.

The Rogers NHL Habs Petition will not be satisfied until the full 82-game Montreal Canadiens’ schedule is available west of Quebec.

The whole raison d’etre for the NHL’s national black-out policy is to force subscriptions to the Rogers/NHL-owned Centre Ice ‘premium product’. At this time, Centre Ice is also limited by the NHL’s national black-out policy.

So subscribing to Centre Ice at this time is forcing an incomplete and unsatisfactory product on consumers, at an exorbitant cost.

The cost of $ 200 per year for a presently half-assed product (Centre Ice), will cause the loss to the Montreal Canadiens, in-time, a significant percentage of it’s present fan base.

In the Rogers NHL Habs Petitions’ opinion, the NHL’s corporate national black-out rule, in Canada, is unnecessary.

In New York State, in the United States, the courts have approved to proceed, as of February 2015, an NHL fans’ class-action suit claiming the NHL’s national black-out rules suppress competition, prevent the creation of value-added team choice channel products, and exorbitantly increase the cost of the product to the fans/consumers.

We believe a similar potential exists in Canadian courts of a class-action to over-turn the NHL’s national black-out rule.

________________________________________________________

Read the Rogers NHL Habs Petition and if You agree, please sign at; http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/no-habs-blackout-rds

• PK says:

Well stated, Chris.
      Good work over the summer (and onward).

>>>> Les Canadiens sont là
      _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

“Une équipe de hockey sur glace de l’île de Mont-Royal va gagner la Coupe de Lord Stanley à 24 reprises dans le 20e siècle et trois fois au cours du 21e siècle.”

– Nostradamus, 1552

• sprague cleghorn says:

Totally agree. The “soft underbelly” of the policy is the black-out of French language broadcasts across Canada. It makes no sense and is culturally vulnerable. Not to mention just plain wrong.

Les Canadiens pour tout le Canada, en francais!

Keep up the great work.

… ‘ow could we forget that?

29. cuzzie says:

Anyone with contacts in London UK. I’ll be there end od September. Would love to watch live, Chelsea against Villa. Latest quote was £500. Too Effen much!
    Stay Thirsty My Friends!

30. Frank2468 says:

So just finished reading through the article and that’s great but what does that mean for fans West of Belleville towns like Oshawa and Ajax and so on? I have my cable with Rogers and pay extra a month for a package called Varitie which gives me channels like RDS and TVA. Does it mean when the games are on I will get blackout on RDS and TVA and Sportsnet cause I’m west of Belleville thanks?

• habcertain says:

Yes, so sorry

• PK says:

Hey Frank,
      West of Belleville means 40 games.
      We can get the other 42 regular season games by forking out extra cash with NHL Centre Ice.
      Oshawa and Ajax, unfortunately, have the same problem as Western Canada …
      I wonder if the traffic on HIO will decrease on certain game days, not that Rogers cares about that?

On second thought, I think a lot of us out here may rely on our “East of Belleville HIO brethren” and Boone in order to get game updates.

>>>> Les Canadiens sont là
      _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

– Nostradamus, 1552

On top of this all, CRTC (undoubtfully influenced by big telcos) is considering removing Over The Air TV (you can still get a handful of channels for free with an antenna). What a bunch of sleazy disgusting douchebags the telcos and CRTC are. (and Molson and the NHL).

I am afraid, internet streaming is next on the list after that.

32. CH Marshall says:

what a drag.. I loved getting Rds here in Toronto. Games won’t feel the same if all English…

33. HabFab says:

J-F Chaumont – Former Carolina Hurricanes, Drayson Bowman, have received a PTO with Montreal. @JoshRimerHockey was the first with this news.

I wonder if at some point HI/O could perhaps post a semi-permanent link explaining how TV coverage will work this year, explaining what regional coverage means.

There are clearly a great deal of avid Habs fans who come on this site at different times, some less regularly asking the same questions over and over.

It would seem to me that given all the changes in the TV coverage landscape this year, that it shouldn’t be too tough to provide a link to a nice clear explanation helping all those who come to this site looking for Habs information and news.

CHeers everyone, and yah the new deal does suck for us Habs fans who had it real good with RDS the last few years. Especially those of us not in the Habs TV region.

• Hobie says:

Like I said below Burly, if you’re west of Belleville, call your cable company and complain. They’ll knock a chunk off the cost of things.

Don’t think so Hobie, all they can do is knock the price off of NHL Center Ice which I highly doubt they can. I will call, I will discuss, but issues for those of us West of Belleville are completely different than the issues those of you in the Habs region face.

• Hobie says:

I’ve called over the past 18 months two or three times. I was worried at first that they’d call my bluff when I said I’d like to cancel my cable or maybe I’d go with a different internet provider. They don’t even hesitate and immediately start offering you discounts.

If you called and said I’m cancelling my cable because I only get half the Habs games starting this year they’ll do something for you.

My bill has 30% off here, these extra channels free of charge, 30% off there, PVR rentals waived…

If I didn’t call and complain my bill altogether would probably be $100 more expensive a month for internet, phone and cable.

I hear you, I will let you know how it goes. Glad you will be able to see pretty much all the games Hobie, make sure you get your ass down to the Summit before Frontenac kills me one of these years! One can only do so many walkabouts before it catches up to ya!

• Hobie says:

I’m going to do my my best to show up to Hurley’s on the Friday night for a few pints.

• cuzzie says:

Called bell last month to complain why they were not giving their loyal customers the same rate they were offering new subscribers. Result was that for next 12 months I pay $151 with tax instead of $220. I thanked the young lady and told her i’ll call her back in 12 months.

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

• Hobie says:

I’ve got the Rogers VIP cable package, two HD PVR boxes, two smart phones and high speed internet for $205.00, taxes incl. It’s still expensive and it pisses me off but if I were to not call and bitch it would be $305.00 per month, or more.

I see other people’s bills who are too shy to pickup the phone, or who have money to throw around and I’m like holy S%^t!!! I see peoples Rogers bills for like $400.00 a month!

• frontenac1 says:

Hey Burly! Finally got my ticket today! It went on a bit of a walkabout. I fu#ked up on the placement of the stamp on the envelope.Saludos!

• habcertain says:

The reality of being saved by the French language was a god send for those west of Belleville, welcome to the real world of following your fav team that is not local. Got adjusted when I moved to the US.

• Gehlsen says:

At this point I would take anything wether French or English

Les Habitant!

35. frontenac1 says:

So are all my amigos west of God’s Country getting it up the dirt chute? Bast#rds! That’s not right.

36. Hobie says:

FYI Folks…

I just got off the phone with Rogers and complained that City TY Montreal and CBC Montreal are only available in Standard Definition here in Ottawa.

They just gave me the Super Sports Pack for free from October to January. When I moved in to my current location I called and said Bell would give me this, that and the other thing for a certain price. Rogers slashed all kinds of charges off my bill to go lower than Bell.

If you live west of Belleville, pick up the phone, bitch and complain to your cable company and they’ll knock a big chunk off your bill. Threaten to cancel your cable. You can probably get the Super Sports pack at half price, knock your Internet cost down and your cell as well.

37. docketrocket says:

I feel for fans west of Belleville. Still, being from Ottawa I would feel more comfortable with an official confirmation that Ottawa won’t be blacked out on Sportsnet 1. I think we may have a Sens problem. Ugh!

38. savethepuck says:

canadiens.com need to get on the ball and update their new 2014-15 schedule. It is still showing a lot of games only on RDS.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

THere are still lots of games on RDS, the difference is that this year they aren’t nationally available but only in the Habs region. RDS still owns the regional rights for French broadcast of Habs games.

39. habs001 says:

In Canada, based on the history of the game and the franchises are all fairly well off, all games involving Canadian teams should be available in all regions…Centre Ice should be an extra cost option for people who wish to see games not involving Canadian teams…

40. stagger16 says:

I’m a die hard hab fan living in NEWFOUNDLAND. I always had to purchase RDS even though I can’t speak a word of French. Does this mean that I’m now going to get ALL 82 Hab games in English this year? On my regular cable? This sounds too good to be true.

41. Hobie says:

For Rogers viewers in Ottawa…

The 3 games on City TV Montreal are only available In SD.

As far as the 17 games that are available nationally on CBC, unless the Habs game is on CBC Ottawa, it’s in SD. If you flip to CBC Montreal it’s SD. Only Ottawa CBC is in HD for Rogers customers at the moment.

So if you were thinking of cancelling your French package you must be ready to watch up to a 1/4 of the games in SD.

• docketrocket says:

So keep RDS?

• savethepuck says:

This is a lot of work. I am also with Rogers and only get 1 CBC HD channel, but I think my HD channel is CBC Atlantic for the 17 Saturday night games. That should show the Habs. I am probably going to have to send an e-mail or make a phone call to verify this because watching in HD is more important to me than language or who is broadcasting. I definitely won’t get the games on City Montreal though. I’ll need to see when these games are broadcasted because the only one stated in the article is the Oct 13th game v TB, and I will just keep my RDS for that game because I will keep it for the preseason games anyways.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Hobie says:

I just called to complain about the standard definition thing and they gave me the Sports Pack from from opening night of the season until January 7th.

Ya I’m keeping RDS for the preseason games too.

42. piper says:

Oh well…..guess it’s time I watched less TV anyway. 40 games a year will be good enough. I can always listen to the games I want to on line.
    I’m sure as hell not paying for centre ice.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Actually listening to the games on TSN 690 is much more entertaining. The pre and post game shows are good. Listening to guys like Chris Nilan during the intermissions is fun as well. This is the only place where you here the stuff we discuss. Unfortunately there is a delay between the TV video and radio announcing.

43. Stevie.Ray says:

Desharnais at 52 points in 79 games last year for a .65 ppg average.
    However he only had 1 point in his first 19 games. He finished the season with 51 points in 60 games for a .85 ppg average.

If he does that again over 82 games he’ll finish with 70 points which I’m sure we would all be happy with, but my question for you is how many points do you consider “acceptable” for Desharnais? 70? 52? Less?

• Phil C says:

As a scoring forward, I think he needs to be around 60 points if he plays 82 games. He also needs to get more productive on the PP if they give him 1st wave minutes.

44. GenerationYHabs says:

So apparently RDS was circulating some rumors yesterday, that a possible trade with Toronto might be in the works to acquire Kadri. Has anyone heard anything about this, or is it just baseless speculation?

• savethepuck says:

I hope the RDS rumour about Habs trading for that POS are grossly exaggerated.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Stevie.Ray says:

Read TOR will move him for only a significant return. Probably that elusive top 6 they are always looking for. The only “top 6″ guys I could see MB moving for Kadri are Desharnais (as hard as wish it will not happen), and Bourque (barely consider him top 6). I think this rumour is just smoke with no fire

• piper says:

another centre???

• GrosBill says:

I doubt MB deals with the Leafs again anytime soon after the Gorges deal. He seemed pretty steamed when discussing the leak.

I would think it would have to be an offer he can’t refuse.

45. YEAH says:

Same I couldn’t add an exclamation point to my username :(

46. Habfan10912 says:

I am shocked that seeing all 82 Hab games in both languages did not make the “Pro” list of reasons to move to Montreal. Must not have included any HIO’ers in their research.

47. HabFab says:

USA basketball team in Spain facing the New Zealand team and….

EDIT: USA won 98-71

• savethepuck says:

Have none of these Americans ever heard of or seen the New Zealand All Blacks Rugby team? I am more shocked at the surprised looks on the players faces and the announcers comments than what I saw the New Zealand team do.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Stevie.Ray says:

I agree with you about the commentators. Like, where have they been the last 25 years. Everyone has seen the Haka by now I’m sure.

As for the players, what were they supposed to look like? They’re just standing there watching. What would you expect them to do?

That said, I recently heard Team Canada Volleyball sang the National anthem at the Kiwis while they performed their haka

• savethepuck says:

My comment re the looks on the player’s faces meant it also looked they they had never seen this before either, which would really surprise me.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
          Carey Price

48. vegas says:

I’d rather talk Hockey than hear about who is going to show what on what channel. If you are blacked out I am sure there is more than one site showing it

Lets get back to talking hockey and how our team may look like, and our needs

49. Mavid ® says:

Got my tickets today whoohoooo! Thanks Ian and a big thank you to Trini who made it all happen
    Section 326 Row FF seat 10 and 11

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

50. elliottko says:

So clearly for the GTA it appears (unless something changes) that center ice package is the only legal way to go.
    For those who have used it before, can you PVR the games???

51. JohnInTruro says:

Timo, it looks increasingly like I won’t be funding new underwear for your head this year. I want to apologize ahead of time…

52. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I never understood how the sportsnet channels worked. I pay for one and get 4 (East, Ontario, West and Pacific). This is stupid because 95% of the time they broadcast the same shows. The only difference is with regional sports broadcasts. Why can’t they just split them into 4 separate channels which subscribers can choose from? This way people out west can purchase Sportsnet East and that would be it. This is all a scam to force non-regional viewers to buy Center Ice crap. BTW what is a region? Why should someone in the Maritimes have access to Habs games while someone in Alberta can’t? Makes ZERO sense.

• Timo says:

Unless I completely misunderstand things, I don’t think that in Calgary if I buy Sportsnet East I will get Habs games. I will get some bowling or poker sh!t because Sportsnet will send a different programming stream to the West during Habs games.

• savethepuck says:

Maritimers are in the Habs’ region because Montreal is the closest Canadian NHL city. If I want to attend an NHL game it is an 8 hour drive to either Montreal or Boston. Alberta has 2 NHL teams and the Maritimes have none. No need to dis us Maritimers because things are not working out for you, even though I sympathize with those Habs fans west of Belleville/Pembrooke.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Where did I dis Maritimers??? I live in QC BTW. All I am saying is that you should be able to watch what you want wherever you live in Canada. No province should have different rights than another province. BTW nobody put a gun to your head to live in a city 8 hours away from an NHL arena.

• savethepuck says:

Sorry if I misunderstood your comment. Blackout rules set by the NHL were explained by CalgaryHab at 5:00 PM and I was explaining why the Maritimes are in the Habs region. I should of put a smiley face after the ‘dis Maritimers’ comment.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
          Carey Price

53. Scotty90 says:

What does all this mean for us living in the Ottawa area? I think we should be ok judging by what I have read so far… but I’m getting a little nervous! I really feel badly for our Western Habs fans! )-:

• Hobie says:

Ottawa gets all 82 games in English or French. And yes, I feel bad for West of Belleville. I don’t feel bad for my French friends who I can now give the finger to and tell them I’m watching all 82 games in English b*&^h!

• savethepuck says:

I am in NB and will probably cancel my RDS for the same reasons you are, but it was just pointed out to me that 3 of the games will be on City Montreal, and I don’t get that channel although I get several other City channels. Same in Ottawa?

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

• Scotty90 says:

Thanks Hobie! but apparently not all in HD…. right?
        My fingers are crossed for all Habs fans West of Ottawa.

54. YEAH says:

Good afternoon ladies and gents!

This is my first post and I would like to say that I ma concerned by MB’s apparent unwillingness to compensate for our summertime loss of size and grit.

I have heard that he is looking to acres these concerns in-house, with such players as Connor Crisp and Jack Nevins being given long looks out of training camp.

Do any of y’all think that there is any truth to this?

• geo_habsgo says:

I think the team is getting to the point with some of the more fringe prospects that are maturing where they either earn their stripes now or move on and out of our cupboard. I wouldn’t mind giving some of these players a longer look if it means that we can get a cheap gritty player that knows his role.

• Habfan10912 says:

Welcome aboard Yeah. Your opinion is shared by many in regards to the lack of an enforcer on the team but I think grit wise we have some. Prust, Weiss, Tinordi?, Moen?, Malhotra, and Gilbert may be replacements for a White, Parros, and Crankshaft. Talent-wise it looks, like a upgrade.

CHEERS and keep on posting.

• dr. schmutzdeker says:

I share your concern and don’t feel that the additions of Gilbert and Mahotra will be adequate. The continued presence of a recently concussed Moen, a gutsy Prust who would try and carry the team on his seemingly damaged houlders, a physical, effective non fighter like Weiss and the reliance on a young, promising yet inexperienced Tinordi will not be enough to deter any “truculent” team ready to resort to bully like tactics. The rest of the league has not disarmed and when things ramp up against the Bruins, Sens, Leafs, Flyers and a host of others a presence will be necessary to deter the nasty stuff. Like it or not Deterrence is a means by which goonery can be curtailed. You may recall that some of the tamest games last season were between 2 very truculent teams (leafs and bruins)…also, despite not being the most feared and effective of enforcers the presence of Parros often did keep the bruins in check. Bergevin has done nothing to date to address this issue. Nothing like the sheer, wilful blindness of Gauthier but disconcerting nonetheless . Relying on a couple of kids like Crisp or Nevins (who are unlikely to make it this year) to go against seasoned tough guys like Rosehill, Peluso and others seems a bit delusional. Sorry for the lack of paragraph structure.

55. geo_habsgo says:

To any Gazette staff that may read: As a general service to us members who are otherwise too lazy to search our channel guide, would it be possible this season if on game days you made mention of what channels to tune into for game broadcast?

At least for us folk who live in Montreal it would be nice to know where to look!

56. CalgaryHab says:

This is what I found on Sportsnet.ca. Apparently the blackouts are mandated by the NHL. I copied and pasted a couple of blurbs:

Sportsnet NHL Blackout Explanations
    Due to regional broadcast regulations set forth by the NHL, Sportsnet game telecasts must be blacked out in certain areas of Canada. The broadcast boundaries for Sportsnet’s regional NHL games have been set by the NHL since the network’s inception in 1998 and Sportsnet is contractually obligated to follow them.

Also:

Again, keep in mind this is not Sportsnet’s decision. In NHL blackout cases we must legally comply with the boundary rules set by the NHL. Purchasing all four Sportsnet channels from your provider does not provide you with additional out-of-market games outside your Sportsnet region.

Full link:

• Hobie says:

True. It has nothing to do with Rogers. There was a recent article that stated it is to protect smaller market teams. The NHL and the teams came up with this idea.

It used the Florida teams as an example. Half the people in Florida were born elsewhere and would rather watch the Rangers, Canadiens and several other teams. So the blackouts protect teams like the Panthers and Lightening. You either watch the local team or fork out extra cash to watch your favourite team. Part of that money goes back to the league and helps the smaller market team.

Many Calgary residents are originally from Montreal or Toronto. Going back many years, you would have had people only watching the Habs and Leafs in Calgary and not the Flames. New residents wouldn’t bother watching the Flames if they could watch their hometown team.

If it weren’t for blackouts a lot of smaller market teams would have next to no viewers. RDS and Habs fans somehow avoided that but the loophole was unfortunately closed.

• CalgaryHab says:

I remember growing up in a small, hick town at the base of the mountains in Alberta as a teenager and for some reason the cable package (if you can call it that by today’s standards) gave us CBC Calgary and CBC Montreal. CBC Calgary was forced to play the Leaf game (puke) but I was always guaranteed the Habs on Saturday night because of CBC Montreal. I’ve been subscribed to RDS for years even though I speak zero french. It’s going to be a tough break up.

• Loop_Garoo says:

I cannot help but think they would be better off just letting the market determine which games and teams are shown where, and split the money between all the teams to do it.

• mark-ID says:

I think this site gives us all a pretty good idea what regional area we are considered in. I live in Ottawa, when I put my postal code in….it tells me that I am in both the Ottawa and Montreal broadcasting regions.

Hobie…you were saying earlier that you weren’t sure if the Sportsnet regional would be the same as the RDS one, I believe that this answers your question…..that yes the Montreal and Ottawa regions are always considered the same, according to the NHL.

Here is the link: http://www.nhl.com/ice/ziplookup.htm

57. habs-fan-84 says:

I would just like to clarify something:
    It’s not illegal to WATCH a stream. It is however, illegal to broadcast one.

• jimmy shaker says:

What or where do I find these streams?

Shaker out.

• Timo says:

I am aware of 2. One is directly from the website called hockeystreams . com. It’s a “donations” based service ($99 per calendar year) and you get pretty much all hockey in the world on demand.

Two – you can install XBMC software on your computer or any media box that is “installable” and get an NHL on Demand steam from an add-on called SuperRepo (you;ll need to google instructions on setting it up but it’s pretty straight forward). That one is free and you can get NHL games on demand as well. I watched a bit from a couple of Habs games from last spring and it was decent quality wise.

• habs-fan-84 says:

I haven’t had to stream in a couple years. However, when I used to stream on a regular basis, Habs Online TV used to have 3 or 4 different stream options per game. As I said, I haven’t used the website in a while so I’m not exactly sure how consistent they’ve been in recent years.
        Here’s the site: http://habsonlinetv.blogspot.ca/

If I find Habs Online TV to be too inconsistent to start the season, I’ll probably consider a subscription to http://www6.hockeystreams.com/

Edit: This was also a pretty reliable site: http://atđhe.net/

• Mr. Biter says:

Whenever I try some hockey stream I end up with some virus’s. Looks like center Ice for me.

Mr. Biter
          No Guts No Glory

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Exactly. The only trouble with Center Hice is that you have to suffer through the the oppositions’ broadcasters and sometimes, at least in my area, Habs’ games are not in HD which makes them nearly impossible to watch. I don’t know why that is. Most games have at least two feeds while some have as many as four. Shrug?

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• habs-fan-84 says:

I always read this, but I’ve never had a problem streaming games. Especially if you use some “reputable” sites.

Price of Intel NUC… holy mother of god. And that’s barebone (not that kind of a bone).

For anyone interested in a comparable device but at lower price, I found this website – aliexpress . com (no spaces). It’s apparently a chinese ebay but lots of good well priced products there.

• shiram says:

Are those NUC different than any old PC?

I get the small form factor, but I’d still just buy a small motherboard and build the PC myself.
      And they have some nice HTPC cases now, so the kit blends in with your home theater gear.

• Timo says:

as far as I can tell they aren’t. you can put a regular PC tower under your TV and it will be the same. it’s the small form factor and also these NUC’s are fanless which is the noise and power consumption factor (intel CPUs in NUCs are very power efficient)

• shiram says:

Ok that’s what I thought.

There are some fanless builds for PC, if you pick the parts just right, though it might not be as well engineered as something made by a company.

Also there are some very quiet fans, and I also can volt mod them so they are even quieter.

• Timo says:

That’s what I am doing. I bought a small fanless box with i5 processor and will install my own SSD and RAM on it. Saves me a few bucks and still gives a good quality device.

59. HabFab says:

@UCe

HabsWorld – #Habs rookie camp news: Nick Sorkin will attend camp. He played briefly with Hamilton last year and is already signed to HAM for this year.

60. habs-fan-84 says:

Honestly, I wouldn’t be as angry as I am about this Rogers deal had it not been “trumpeted” the way it was on day one. All we heard was that the deal was going to be an “end to blackouts”.

• B says:

They were talking about Sportsnet blackouts where folks say in the East could get hockey games regionally in Sportsnet East but the ones out West were blacked out (as they were regional there). Under the new mega deal, there could conceivably be up to all 7 different Canadian teams playing on say a Saturday night and all of those games would be available nationally (no longer blacked out outside the region) on Sportsnets and other channels (CBC, City…). That said, I doubt this explanation takes any of the sting out for the fans to the West who no longer get every Habs game cheaply on RDS.

–Go Habs Go!–

• habs-fan-84 says:

Hi B,
        For the most part I understood that (Saturday, Sunday and Wednesdays were national games). However, the night the deal was announced I actually called into the FAN590 (on my way home from work). I insisted on air that this deal made things worse from a Habs fan perspective (I explained that we’ve been fortunate to simply subscribe RDS and we’d have access to all 82 games). I was essentially told that I didn’t know what I was talking about and that we’d still have access to the games on RDS and TVA sports.

Naturally, a few months later we find out that RDS and TVA will be blacked out West of Belleville. Again, had they not pounded their chests about “no more blackouts” I wouldn’t care as much.

At the end of the day, I’m simply going to stream the games I don’t get this year. It’s an inconvenience, but it’s better than paying $30 a month for the “Super Sports Pack”.

61. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On ® says:

What this all basically boils down to is that Rogers still sucks.

Hab fans want choice! Sign the petition to give us back our games!

62. FormalWare says:

40 national games on channels to which I already subscribe is pretty much the tipping point, for me. I may just rely on internet radio and the occasional unauthorized stream, for the rest – and save the $150-ish I was preparing to spend on NHL Centre Ice.

Anyone else (outside the Habs broadcast region) feel the same?

WWSD (What Would SubbieDoo?)

63. mdp2011 says:

Is Stubbs just trolling Habs fans west of Belleville with this tweet?

Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs 46s
    #Habs fans coast to coast, rejoice: Canadiens on Sportsnet http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=729382

• Timo says:

Perhaps Stubbs needs a coast to coast map.

• Timo says:

And WTF is the difference between Sportsnet, Sportsnet ONE and Sportsnet 360? 3 different packages? 3 different channels? Can anyone become a reporter/journalist these days?

• mdp2011 says:

No, once you are subscribed to Sportsnet, you get all of their channels, they are all included. You get Sportsnet East, Ontario, West and Pacific, 360 and Sportsnet One.

Edit: Sorry, when you subscribe to Sportsnet, you get East, Ontario, West and Pacific, and Sportsnet One. Sportsnet 360 is a separate channel that you need to subscribe to. At least, that is what I get with Bell Fibe in Montreal, might be different, depending on your provider.

• Timo says:

That’s good to know… thank you.

• habcertain says:

Timo, if you are looking to watch all games Center Ice is your avenue, Mr.Buttman thanks you for your support.

• Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On ® says:

If you purchase Centre Ice, it’ll be ROGERS that thanks you for your support, and your money. THEY own the rights to Centre Ice broadcats in Canada for the next 12 years, NOT the NHL. Your cheque would go directly into the Rogers piggy bank.

Hab fans want choice! Sign the petition to give us back our games!

• Hstands4Hockey says:

I think it depends on your carrier. With Cogeco you need a higher priced “select” package to get Sportsnet One.

——————————————————————–
          Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
          @Hstands4Hockey

• JF says:

Are you sure? I live in Montreal and get three Sportsnet channels, but not Sportsnet West or 360

• mdp2011 says:

Yes, sorry my mistake. With Bell Fibe, I subscribe to Sportsnet, and I get East, Ontario, West and Pacific, and Sportsnet One. Sportsnet 360 is a separate channel that I need to subscribe to.

• Timo says:

For Bell dish you need 2 separate sports packages Sports 1 and Sports 2 to get all these Sportsnet channels. So that’s $10/mo extra.

• Mr. Biter says:

Or if you have DTV like I do.

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

• GrimJim says:

Out here in Calgary Shaw only gives you Sportsnet West and Sportsnet One (on basic cable), then you have to pay $10 per month for the sports theme pack to get Sportsnet Pacific and Sportsnet 360. Sportsnet East and SN Ontario aren’t on the list (although SN Ont is on the channel listing). So in Calgary (at least) Hab fans are still s.o.l.
          Maybe they will change it before the season starts but I doubt it…

• Timo says:

Jim, even if you got Sportsnet East you still don’t get to see Habs games on that channel due to blackouts. It’s same as if you have RDS… the station will send you a different programming stream during the HAbs games.

• habcertain says:

The words ONE, and 360

• Hobie says:

I think he doesn’t understand, like a lot of people, the whole regional thing.

• FormalWare says:

I thought so… until I noticed good ol’ Fagstein point out that Rogers tossed a bone to out-of-region viewers, today, as well: they upped the number of national broadcasts from 32 to 40: http://blog.fagstein.com/2014/09/02/sportsnet-habs-regional-games/

WWSD (What Would SubbieDoo?)

So if you’re a Hab fan living in the Toronto GTA, the Wednesday and Saturday scheduled Hab games will still be blacked out in order to show Leaf games on Sportsnet and CBC? Is this a correct assumption?

24 Cups

• mdp2011 says:

No. Sportnet/HNIC are showing 40 Habs National games, meaning coast to coast. All National games, whether it is the Leafs, Canucks, Habs, will be available to all coast to coast, even if they are being played at the same time.

• Hstands4Hockey says:

So if I’m in the GTA and have a all the Sportsnet Channels, I will get all 82 games?

——————————————————————–
        Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
        @Hstands4Hockey

• mdp2011 says:

No. Only the 40 that are marked National.

Edit: here is the list of all Habs games, the 40 games marked “National” are the ones you will be able to watch in GTA.

• Hstands4Hockey says:

So how the hell can I watch the other 42 games? (English or French is fine).

——————————————————————–
            Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
            @Hstands4Hockey

• habcertain says:

Whatever games is being telecast nationally is the one you get, this deal has zero effect beyond Quebec for English broadcasts.

• Hobie says:

No, it affects people in Ontario up to Belleville and out to Newfoundland. Has regional area is from Newfoundland to Belleville. At least that’s how it is on RDS.

• habcertain says:

Sorry, meant to the coverage area, west of Belleville being the dead zone

• Hobie says:

Cool, my post was just in case I’m wrong too ;-). I’m in Ottawa and I’m still giving it a small chance that I flip to Sportnet East for one of these games and it’s blacked out. I don’t know if I get “City TV Montreal” in Ottawa either? There’s a small amount of games that are being shown there.

• B says:

They also announced 8 more NATIONAL games:

Thurs, Oct. 9 (7pm @ Capitals) on Sportsnet 360
            Thurs, Oct. 16 (7:30pm vs. Bruins) on Sportsnet 360
            Mon, Oct. 27 (9:30pm @ Oilers) on Sportsnet One
            Thurs, Oct. 30 (10pm @ Canucks) on Sportsnet 360
            Sat, Jan. 31 (1pm vs. Capitals) on Sportsnet
            Wed, March 4 (10pm @ Ducks) on Sportsnet
            Fri, April 3 (7pm @ Devils) on Sportsnet
            Sun, April 5 (5pm @ Panthers) on Sportsnet

–Go Habs Go!–

• 24 Cups says:

Does that mean they will have to use multiple channels on Rogers cable seeing that in theory all seven Canadian based teams could be playing individual games on a Saturday night? Will it still be part of my “normal” Rogers package?

24 Cups

65. Hobie says:

I’m an Anglophone Ex-Quebecer. I’ve watched the Habs on RDS in French the majority of my life. Over the years my French has improved but I still only catch about 50% to 75% of what they’re actually talking about. Having to concentrate on every sentence on RDS to get a basic understanding of what they’re talking about can be annoying for me. Not to mention the wife asking why we’re watching the game in French all the time.

So this is awesome news for me. As long as Sportsnet considers Ottawa as part of the Habs region, as RDS does.

Back in the 80s and 90s I used to turn down the volume on the TV and listen to the game on English radio. So I’ve been basically waiting for all 82 Habs games in English for 30 years.

I know some are upset, west of Belleville, which I totally understand. I agree.

66. habs001 says:

So if you get the Centre Ice/Super Sport Pack combined with national broadcasts fans in Canada can see all their teams games in English…So the only argument left is that you cannot see all the Habs games in French but if they add the French regional games to the Centre Ice than the only complaint is price but that is the same for everone…

I think Dave Stubbs needs to write an article about how good of a guy Scott Moore is. Pronto.

Not that I ever liked any of you much, but today I like Habs fans living in the Habs region a little less.

69. jimmy shaker says:

Still doesn’t help me out down here in souther ontario. NHL centre ice at 34 bucks a month I guess is the only answer.

Shaker out!

• Timo says:

Sadly, yes, unless you’re willing to go the internet route.

• Kooch7800 says:

frig that. I refuse to pay 30 plus dollars a month to watch hockey. Most of the games I watch on the PVR as I am out and about. I will be doing hockey streams

• jimmy shaker says:

Sadly I feel your pain, but can’t go without the habs. I’ll have to try and sell some the kids things to offset the added cost. 7 bucks a month for RDS jumping to 34 bucks for centre ice, another 350 bucks for the habs/wings game in november……man it’s expensive to be a habs fan, and I’m not even going to the summit!

Shaker out!

70. HammerHab says:

I’m assuming “regional” does not include Hamilton and Southern Ontario….

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

71. GrimJim says:

This changes nothing for fans west of Belleville…

72. sane hockey fan says:

When combined with the national package of 40 Canadiens games, the NHL on Sportsnet will deliver to fans all 82 regular season games across nine channels including CBC, City, Sportsnet (East, Ontario, West, and Pacific), Sportsnet ONE, Sportsnet 360 and FX Canada.

WFT?! 9 Channels…Could this be any more confusing…

Very surprising announcement, Bell is a minority owner of the Habs, RDS is the carrier for French Regional coverage, I am surprised TSN wouldn’t have wanted this contract.

• B says:

I think it came down to who wanted to spend the most for it. Perhaps TSN is hoping that Sportsnet is over extending itself and that these over payments could hurt them in the long run? I wonder how much this regional English deal costs compared to the previous one?

–Go Habs Go!–

74. Prop says:

I’ll stick with RDS, except they won’t have all the games.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

75. Habfan10912 says:

Here’s hoping NHL Center Ice shows most of these broadcast to us US fans. The opponent broadcast are tough to listen to at times.

@Ron Thanks bud. Look forward to meeting you as well.
    @Burly Over 60 pounds gone and still breathing. :)
    @Mavid. Do you need a wake up call in the morning? ;)

• habcertain says:

They have increasingly offered home and away broadcasts for many games, hopefully we get a whack of those.

• adamkennelly says:

no chance – only way we get these feeds in the US is if its Habs vs. Canadian team and they’ll likely be in Standard Def…I hate the US broadcasts as much as the next guy but not worth losing the HD.

76. Another 38, I was thinking he was lucky to have this many wins considering the amount of goal production he gets.

As for Richard, he’s hanging out with T-Bo, Huet, Hackett, and of course Allan’s boy :lol:

Shane Oliver
    @sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

77. Marc10 says:

It’d be great if Chucky took the reigns this year and took it up a notch. If the rest of the forwards can produce with some consistency (thinking of Eller and Bourque especially), then there’s definitely an opportunity for the kid to take advantage of some lesser coverage and chip in 20+.

If that were to happen, and if the team remained relatively injury free, we could do some damage.

I’m optimistic. Chucky and Beaulieu are the rookies I expect to take a big step. Eller and Bourque are the guys I’m praying for (to play a strong North-South playoff type game). And Weise and Weaver are the character guys I’m pulling for (I just like their no nonsense approach and their contribution thus far…)

78. george_is_getting_upset says:

I know. Worse than that is that I may have just payed for last years center ice!