Habs hope for repeat performance

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Michael Cammalleri | Brian Gionta | Hal Gill | P.K. Subban

From Pat Hickey, as dictated to Stubbs

The Canadiens are hoping to build on last night’s 2-0 victory over the Vancouver Canucks when they head to Boston tomorrow for their first of six meetings this season against the Bruins.

There was no change in the lineup at today’s practice and the Canadiens should be well rested tomorrow while the Bruins are facing a short night’s sleep because they play tonight in Pittsburgh.

“It always helps when you have a team coming off a back-to-back and you’ve had some rest. We have to capitalize on that by getting a quick start,” said Michael Cammalleri.

Dustin Boyd cleared waivers yesterday and remains with the team but will be a healthy scratch in Boston along with Alexandre Picard and Ryan O’Byrne.

1. rocketsglare says:

The Boston game is certainly winnable if the Habs use their speed to attack the slower Boston D, especially

having played the previous night. I have a feeling the Habs are going to have a good scoring night if they can

crash the Bruin net with any consistency. This team is due offensively.

2. 23 HABS 23 says:

Seriously … where is “MontrealAthiest” … the ol’ scorpion toad character.  I would like to get his impressions of the St. Louis Blues performance tonight against Columbus.  Especially that of his hero Halak.  4 goals on 15 shots (Save %: .733)

Now before everyone gets up in arms … I have nothing against Jaroslav Halak (I honestly wish him all the best and believe that he has found himself a great home in St. Louis) … but it is nice to see that even the playoff hero of yester year is human and was not the only answer in nets for the Montreal Canadiens.

GO PRICE GO!

GO HABS GO! (Let’s go get that elusive 25th Stanley Cup!)

3. otter649 says:

If Lapierre scored into the empty net last night all six Canucks on the ice would have gotten a minus & The Habs on the ice a plus not always a fair stat but thats the way the rule plays out………

4. Bugs says:

Gotta love Pierre McGuire: “Wideman got the puck in the face. Doesn’t look serious; just a lot of blood is all.”

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

5. Mike D says:

Don’t tell me what I think - I never said goalies were a dime a dozen.  And for the record I was a big fan of Halak and still like the guy.  I’m also a big fan of Price (always was).  Only one of those guys still plays for the Habs and that’s who I support.

Thanks for proving your lack of intelligence and giving me credibility by saying the Habs cap issue is, “my opinion and not fact.”  Clearly it is a fact and feel free to reference NHLnumbers or capgeek and see for yourself.  We’re pressed up close to the cap limit with our current roster, Halak’s cap hit is 1 mil more than Price’s, and Perron’s is 1 mil more than Eller’s (including bonus).  Please explain to me how we were going to fit them both in.  Or would you rather we pulled a Lamoriello Special and dress a short roster?  It’s worked wonders for the Devils…

Thanks for coming out, troll.

- Honestly yours

6. db says:

Those are worse than grenades!

7. avatar_58 says:

I’m gonna switch between, maybe I’ll catch a Leblanc goal

8. Aybara says:

Just like the disbelief among GM’s is not fact, but opinion. Scratch that, its random speculation based on your opinion.

9. LA Loyalist says:

Yeah, Gomez is like a guy who gets a girl to go home with him, only she changes her mind and calls a cab as soon as things get interesting.

10. Bugs says:

And then, that “lot” returned from Mars, I gather?

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

11. Bugs says:

RDS or TSN?

Would you rather watch our peewees go at it with junior Ivans or the leafs get their teeth kicked in some more?

Way I see it, it’s irrelevance vs comedy. And a choice like that ain’t no choice at all. C’mooooon, Panters!

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

12. SeriousFan09 says:

Phillippe Lefebvre played game 1, no points, even +/- and no PIMs. RW Brendan Gallagher has been selected to the WHL set of games.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

13. Say Ash says:

Do we have anybody else in that thing?

14. habs365 says:

don’t get me wrong I like halak….his team didn’t show up tonight and neither did he….so now we can assume he’s human….

The Rocket.

15. Everlasting1 says:

Glad you think goalies are a dime a dozen. He is most definitely worth a proven top 6. The cap space issue is your opinion, not fact.

”We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

16. SeriousFan09 says:

RDS and Sportsnet according to Habs Prospects.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

17. HabFanSince72 says:

He’s a rookie.

18. habs365 says:

I feel sorry for toronto and I don’t make fun of them….I look at it this way….what goes around comes around….they don’t have much offence….much like the Habs….so Habs fans don’t poke fun….our turn is just a few bad games away and they’ll be on the same boat with Toronto….

The Rocket knows.

19. HabFanSince72 says:

There will be injuries. That is the logical explanation.

There is no other solution at the moment. Picard and O’Byrne are the 7th and 8th d-men on this team and they will be needed at some point. You can’t send O’Byrne down, so he stays in the pressbox.

20. avatar_58 says:

This is on sportsnet right?

21. Everlasting1 says:

I’m on the Blues blog, and I know for a fact they don’t give a damn about Eller and are thrilled in acquiring  Halak. They can’t believe Mtl. gave him up..for real. Neither can most GMs throughout the league.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

22. SeriousFan09 says:

Peter Forsberg continuing the Black Knight from Monty Python act, apparently he’s going for another comeback.

Such a tragedy the great stars of the 90s Lemieux, Bure and Forsberg’s health held them back from being even greater legends.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

23. HabFanSince72 says:

Not to mention that St.Louis would never trade him.

24. SeriousFan09 says:

Louis Leblanc reported to be playing Game 2 of the Super Series with the Q facing the Russians tonight, for those of you interested.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

25. Mark C says:

I’m sure they do, and some of these new advanced plus minus stats are better.

26. SeriousFan09 says:

I’m sure teams track those kinds of stats for internal use, but I agree that stat could use some updates from the NHL.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

27. Everlasting1 says:

How about giving Gomer the ’08 Kovalev treatment? But somehow I don’t think it’d have the same effect, for a) He doesn’t score b) He’s not a fan favourite (other than his comedic persona) and c) it’s not a contract year.

”We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

28. Storm Man says:

Interesting read thanks. Im still not sold on Picard  with the team all year, But what do I know I don’t make my living as a GM in the NHL. I will leave it up to a few on here with some ridiculous statements on how to run the Habs.

29. Mark C says:

My problem is that, as a stat it is so inconsistent, it depends too much on teammates, and does not account for PP and PK abilities. Also, some fans place too much value in the stat and consider plus minus to be a reflection of defensive ability.

David Krejci and Blake Wheeler lead to NHL in plus minus in 2008-09 with +37 and +36 respectively, the following season Krejci was +8 and Wheeler was -4. Was Wheeler really that much worse in just one year, or does plus minus just depend on teammates, and overall play?

Or uses the Bryan Murray trial balloon approach.

Picard en a suffisamment montré pour que le Canadien lui dise de se chercher un appartement à Montréal

loosely translated

Picard’s play has given the Canadiens sufficient cause to ask him to find an apartment in Montreal

32. SeriousFan09 says:

There’s being a minus in the game and being a minus in the game. You can score two points but be a -2 because your points were on PP and two goals were scored that weren’t your fault because of other players screwing up or the goalie allowing softies, coach won’t hold it against you.

But, if a goal is scored because you took a dumb penalty and it cost the team? That’s a minus in the coach’s book, as is ignoring your defensive assignment or not bachchecking and it leads to a goal.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

33. Mike D says:

I’m very excited about Eller’s potential too.  The problem with a lot of folks on this site is that they were expecting a proven top 6 player in return.  What they fail to realize is that acquiring someone like David Perron (who was named repeatedly by people on HIO as the ‘one’ they would have wanted/accepted for Halak) and his 2.15mil cap hit, wouldn’t fit under our current cap situation.

- Honestly yours

34. Storm Man says:

Source? Thanks.

35. Mike D says:

Not a chance Gomez sits next game (or any game for that matter).  His offensive production is brutal ATM, but he is still playing very well defensively.  That alone gets him a guaranteed spot in the lineup and gives him time to get his offensive production going.

Speaking of his offensive play, those blind passes of his – especially the ones that end up on our opponents sticks – are killing me, but he’s one of the few centers in the NHL that can carry the puck into enemy territory consistently.  The problem is what he does once he gains the zone.

- Honestly yours

36. TripleX says:

So when JM explains his reasoning for benching Eller or O’Byrne is because he was a minus for the game, he is full of it?  I agree.  :)

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

37. SeriousFan09 says:

Plus minus isn’t a bad indicator, the problem is when you use just that stat to justify a player’s TOI. Jeff Schultz’s +50 last season didn’t make him the best defencemen in the NHL last year. You have to examine the rest of their stats and watch the play. Just using numbers is how Mike Green ends up as runner-up for the Norris.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

38. Storm Man says:

Could not have said it any better myself.

I read somewhere that he was told to get an apartment in Montreal. He’s been solid if not spectacular.

40. Mark C says:

Plus minus stats now? Brooks Laich leads the Caps at +10 while Nick Backstrom and Ovie are only +2. I see no logical explanation why Bruce Boudreau is giving more ice to Backstrom and Ovie than Laich.

Bottom line plus minus stats are crap.

41. habsman-itoba says:

Wow!  Thanks for all the responses below!  My coworker tells me that a lot of Blues fans were not happy to part with Eller, thinking he was too much to give up in return for Halak.  They thought having Eller and Mason would have been better than having Halak.  They were apparently quite excited about his potential (no matter what Pierre Mguire says).

42. SeriousFan09 says:

Gill is a key plank in the 5th-best PK unit in the NHL, and that PK is 1st overall on the road. Picard can’t do that and just because Pierre Gauthier doesn’t run his mouth and practically place a D-man on Ebay like Burke does when he wants to trade doesn’t mean nothing is going on to address the situation.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

43. Mark C says:

Martin pretty much just rolled 3 lines, Moen got 6:31 and Pyatt got 4:47 of ES ince time.

44. TripleX says:

I believe Picard leads the team at +7.  What is Gill?

O’Byrne is getting paid 1.4 million to sit in the pressbox.  Is it fair to him and does it make sense in a cap NHL to have TWO Dmen sitting?  Trade him for assets or play him.

I don’t see a logical explanation for what management or JM is doing.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

45. likehoy says:

eller is not jacques martin ready!

he looks physically ready and talent wise…but his hockey sense and teamwork has a lot of refining to do.

JM is slowly breaking him in by making him play a consistent 7-8 minutes per night before giving him anymore responsibility

I think eller’s going to surprise people come mid-season to late season.

remember subban at the start of the playoffs…he only played 13-15 minutes until markov was injured, then the injury let subban shine….eller’s getting the same treatment essentially.

- I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

46. HFX-HabFan says:

Picard?  The dude is a fringe NHLer at best; how many 25 year olds are already with their fifth organization?  It’s not up to Montreal to have “developed” him by now, PG recognized him as a moderately serviceable asset who could be a seventh D/AHLer.  Whatever upside is there has already been reached.

47. Mikey_39 says:

I think Gomez should sit next game.  He looks unmotivated and lazy out there.  Give Eller another shot on a top line….

Kostitsyn-Plecky-Gionta

Cammalieri-Eller-Pouliot

Darche-Halpern-Pyatt

Remainder

48. TripleX says:

Last three games I believe 7.5, pressbox, 4.5.  But I am probably being too cynical and anti management.  I am sure Picard, O’Byrne and Eller are getting better and will be great due to fine Montreal player developement.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

49. shiram says:

JM said he might put him on the PK so he has more minutes

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

50. MTLForever says:

he’s strong on the puck typically, he needs more ice time for us to really evaluate him more. however, no terrible game from him yet

His development is being “managed”, is it not clear? :)

But honestly, from what I’ve seen from Eller so far it’s ok with me. He isn’t really showing that he was worth trading Halak for.

52. habsman-itoba says:

Just out of curiosity, has anyone seen an explanaition as to why Eller played only 4.5 minutes last night?  A co-worker of mine is a Blues fan and is wondering why that happened.

53. likehoy says:

all in all…unless scott gomez gets off the mark and starts putting the puck on his teammates’ stick and those sticks put the puck in the net…it’s going to be a very long season.

I’m tempted to remove AK from the 4th line of gomez and lapierre and put him with Eller.

My issue with Eller is that he’s a playmaker, not a goal scorer and he just skates in trying to score that elusive first goal and has a serious lack of teamwork. I think putting AK on his wing will help Eller go back to his more natural game, and it also gives AK some more responsibility on a line.

Scott Gomez is currently a black hole…he lacks the effort and the execution right now.

- I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

54. nightmare_49 says:

The plus and minus:

Plus:  We are still in first place in our division, even with our stars in a slump.

Knock on wood, we have been basically injury free so far this season, considering the Avs have ten players out right now.

Minus:  We are four points ahead of the tenth place team in our conference, only eight make the show.

55. habsman-itoba says:

The only thing that would look tastier is a Double Down.

56. shiram says:

Deeee-cent!

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

57. habsman-itoba says:

No Timo, you have the best avatar on HIO, although I liked the previous one more.

58. shiram says:

Does that mean i have the tastiest avatar??

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

Haha, you know, I will actually try that :)

60. nightmare_49 says:

T – Good luck.

61. Storm Man says:

I will have 8 for sure coming my way, I will ask for 2 more. Hmmmmm now that I think about you wearing that MAB jersey………… I just won’t have you sit close to me :). I will send you a email when I know for sure.

Cheers, man. Really appreciate it. And if you will be looking like this I will skip the MAB jersey just to sit next to you.

63. Storm Man says:

Well most of the people going to the game will be women :) that is how I roll at hockey games.

64. nightmare_49 says:

T – Just email Mr.Boone and i’m sure he can get a press pass for his favourite hitster for the match.

65. Mark C says:

“I’m not too sure what happens from here, but hopefully I’ll stay a Montreal Canadien,” said Boyd after hearing of the decision. “The season has had its ups and downs so far, and hopefully we can move forward from here. It’s consistency from game-to-game, and something that you have to work through and you have to get better at.

“I think you have to keep moving forward and try to stay positive as much as you can,” added Boyd.

Are those the words of someone trying to make a big stink about his situation? Maybe Boyd realizes his play hadn’t been worthy of a place in the line-up and a spot on the roster.

66. TripleX says:

I said he might be pissed,  i did not say he was stupid.  Max has learned the hard way that speaking your mind is often a negative in pro sports.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

67. Mark C says:

You said he “could be a disruption in the room.” I’m just pointing out that he’s saying all the right things, and there really isn’t any reason to believe that he’s a bad seed, and if he is he’ll be shipped to Hamilton.

68. fbkj says:

pissed yes but for you to automatically assume, hes pissed at the team, is what makes your posts infuriating… you always assume the worst lol

if no other team wanted him, why in the world would he be pissed off at the habs, pissed at himself, yes, he knows hes not guaranteed a spot on the team and its nothing but his to lose…

like ive told you before, im a cynic, but this knee jerk reaction to always stick the middle finger in the face of occam’s razor is mind boggling

69. Mark C says:

Yes, always assuming the worst and looking to blame management is my issue too.

Why can’t we give Boyd the benefit of doubt that he’s not some jerk? He’s played poorly and he’s never proven himself in his NHL career to be a top-6 player. These types of players get placed in his current situation from time to time on teams close to the cap.

70. TripleX says:

I’m not assuming anything.  I was merely suggesting what went down with the waiver move and how it MIGHT possibly a risk of alienating Boyd.  Not fact just a theory I am putting out there.

Top six?  I don’t think PG, JM, or Boyd think of him as a top six forward.  A player who signs a minimum contract is a depth forward I think.

This happens time to time?  When was the last time a UFA signing was placed on waivers after 14 games?

It is not cynical to point out that putting a player you signed as a UFA on waivers, suggests a weak pro scouting department.  Pro scouting has been a weakness in this organization for some time.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

71. Mark C says:

I said he has never proven himself as being a top-6. So if he’s not a top-6, he signs a min contract, and he plays poorly, why would be feel alienated? Just because he was a UFA? That’s pretty weak.

Well, Brian McGrattan was waived the same day as Boyd, he was a UFA and Boston didn’t even get him into a game.  Here’s one you’ll really love, UFA signed, Mike Vernace was waived by your boys Stevie Y and Guy Boucher after JUST 7 games! And Vernace was one of Guy’s boys from the Bulldogs. This suggests not only weak pro scouting but weak coaching in Tampa.

72. HFX-HabFan says:

McGrattan (signed as UFA over the summer) was put on waivers by Boston the same day Boyd was.

73. TripleX says:

Mike Vernace was signed to a TWO way contract and was sent down to the AHL.  He is still in the organization and re-callable.  Not waived.  I beg to differ the fact Stevie signed him to a TWO way contract suggests good pro scouting unlike PG who boxed himself in with all these ONE way contracts.

Brian McGrattan is a 29 year old career journeyman who in 9 game with Boston never saw the ice.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

74. Mark C says:

So what about a two way contract? You are misunderstanding the differences between one and two way contracts, I think. All a two way contract means is that the player gets paid one rate while in the NHL and a different rate in the AHL. Where a one way contract means the player is paid the same in the AHL or NHL. Boyd is still in the organization and just as re-callable as is Vernace.

Mike Vernace was waived.

Boyd is a 24 year old journeyman, who is on his 3rd team in less than a year.

75. TripleX says:

Stand corrected he was waived.  Nevertheless Steve showed greater foresight in giving a fringe player a two way contract.  In other words the organization realized BEFORE signing him that he was a bubble player.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

76. Mark C says:

I guess they save some on total non-cap dollars (while in the AHL), but I wouldn’t consider Mike Vernace (12 NHL games) as same type of fringe bubble player as Dustin Boyd (210 NHL games). There is a much higher probability that Boyd is a productive player than Vernace, and one would assume that there was more of a market for Boyd.

77. fbkj says:

ehhh no

when your on the bubble and no other team in the league takes you

causing a disruption in the locker room of the only nhl team that will employ you is the exact opposite of how a player will react

78. TripleX says:

Human reactions to a kick in the balls is often neither logical or cerebral.  In Boyd’s position I would be mighty pissed for a while at least.  When a player is signed as a UFA I think there is a preconception that he is wanted and will stick with the club.  Boyd might think he kept his part of the bargain but PG and JM did not.  Just my take on it.

It might all blow over like you say.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

79. JohnBellyful says:

True, but he’d have to wear suits with padded shoulders. And elbows. To maintain the illusion.

80. HFX-HabFan says:

When was it off?

81. Storm Man says:

You don’t know much about the weather in Calgary…. I could be in shorts and flip flops that game ;).

82. LA Loyalist says:

Did you guys see Outdoor Classic HABS/Calgary is back on? Feb 20th McMahon Stadium, wear your long johns :) It’s on NHL.com

what do you mean it’s back on? Was it ever cancelled? I am planning on going… got some people to understand that as soon as they get their hands on tickets (season ticket holders, poor buggers) I need two. Two tickets for Timo. Will be wearing my MAB jersey.

84. Mike D says:

Once a player clears waivers I believe the team has 2 weeks to reassign him.  If he isn’t sent down after the two weeks passes, he remains on the Habs roster (just like he was never waived in the first place) and would have to clear waivers again if the team wanted to place him in the A.

A trade could very well be in the works involving either or both of those guys.  It doesn’t really make sense to intentionally carry 1.5mil of your salary cap in the pressbox for the whole season.

- Honestly yours

85. mbplekfan says:

I think there is trade involving Boyd in the works. It might involve OB too. The problem is we are up against the cap and cant take on any salary over and above what we trade.

86. fbkj says:

so the fact that boyd cleared waivers suggest were going to trade him?

87. shiram says:

That makes no sense to me, why would the team wanting to trade for Boyd not pick him up on the waivers??
    Maybe there is something i am missing in the waivers rules?

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

88. TripleX says:

I think PG wanted to clear some cap space to sign a forward and took a chance Boyd would be picked up on waivers.  The chance was that if it did not work out then he is stuck with Boyd.  To send Boyd who was signed as a UFA to the minors after just 14 games looks bad on PG and the franchise.  So now PG is stuck with Boyd who might naturally be a little pissed off now and could be a disruption in the room.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

89. LEAF KILLERS says:

thinking OB and Boyd will be packaged also. would be nice to get a tougher player that can play.

90. Mike D says:

I don’t think you’re missing anything.  I doubt PG was planning on trading him when he put him on waivers.  I figure he was either hoping another team would pick him up, or was planning on sending him to Hamilton.

Now that he’s cleared waivers though, maybe PG is trying to package him with OB.  Or even re-tool a trade he was already working on.  Considering Boyd hasn’t been reassigned yet, it could be a sign that this is indeed the case.  Who knows though…

- Honestly yours

I’d like to see you in shorts ;)

92. Storm Man says:

Bro….. You are one funny guy lol Glad to have you back on here.

93. LA Loyalist says:

You’re right I forgot about that. I was lined up at a Tim Hortons in Calgary in January two years ago and there was a girl in front of me in flip flops. There was slush everywhere.

We ended up skiing in T-shirts, so yeah, you’re right. Hawaiian shirt AND long johns.

The joke is there was some dopey global warming seminar at the hotel and it was so warm they were all going “See! Global Warming!”

If we go I’m going to get my boy a Calgary Hitman jersey, they’re pretty cool.

I guess the rink ice is a big concern as it could be softer than Scott Gomez in the attacking zone…

94. Storm Man says:

I like the take on Gomez in the attacking zone.. That was very funny, hope you get to come up and see the game.

95. SeriousFan09 says:

Good choice, Calgary Hitmen is the former club of prospects Ryan White and Ian Schultz.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

96. LA Loyalist says:

We try and go to Lake Louise at least once a year. I like Calgary, the only rotten part is that airport is on the east side of the city and you have to drive through town to go to the mountains.

By the way, I badly miss Big Rock beer. You guys make some damn fine beer.

97. Propwash says:

Were likely to play against Rask tomorrow if Thomas plays tonight. Either way, I hope the Habs can put a few behind them.

Hopefully both Rask and Thomas will have to play in that game.

99. SeriousFan09 says:

Habs tuned up both of them last season and Carey really, really hates them after the 2009 playoffs, he’s 3-0-0 since with a 1.00 GAA.

Big problem will be Horton, he was a thorn in our side when we played FLA.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

100. shiram says:

I like that way of thinking!

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

101. SLONCOLD says:

in a shared shut out?

102. matmacat says:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJZ7zk4d2o8  nice save. This is home refined goaltending, so we can be proud.

103. LEAF KILLERS says:

they should make Gomez play on a line by himself, so when he makes his end to end rushes he is forced to take puck to the net and shoot instead of looking back to pass. but he would probably make a back pass to the goalie.

Dude, loooooooooove the avatar. Best one on HIO by far!

105. rocketsglare says:

Carey Price last night was the study of composure, controlled assertiveness, and measured aggression as

he defended his net and made the saves to SO the high powered Canucks. This win by Price against a qua-

lity team will definitely add to his growing confidence and give him the impetus to continue to rise as a top

tier netminder. Props to Carey on a great game and win.

106. nightmare_49 says:

Edmonton Oilers’ Gagner finds inspiration from lifelong friend

Hockey lover Dan Aziz’s broken neck took him down a different path

Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/health/Edmonton+Oilers+Gagner+finds+inspiration+from+lifelong+friend/3796436/story.html#ixzz14uYY0nNQ

107. JohnBellyful says:

With Montreal’s offence continuing to struggle – the team is now relying on its defence to score – the argument will be revived that the forwards are too short. Stand tall, play tall is the thinking.

To remedy the problem, the team could resort to using the rack – wait, that’s the fans’ suggestion, and for different reasons. But that’s just soooo medieval when fixing the problem demands a modern approach.

It’s too late for today’s roster to be augmented by genetic modification and Viagra produces length rather than height, although it might do wonders for the players’ poke checking.

The answer is much more subtle: skate inserts. It could be done incrementally, by millimetres, over the course of a few months. As was done gradually with goaltenders’ equipment over seasons to much more dramatic effect.

Take Brian Gionta. He’s listed at 5’7″. Now. But you keep adding inserts in his skates, one wafer-thin insole at a time, game by game, by the end of the season, he’s cross-checking Pronger in the face.

The change in height would be glacially slow so as not to attract league attention. To those few who might detect something different in Gionta’s appearance, team spokesmen would explain he had switched to a new diet to add bulk to his frame.
    Fans would be accepting of such an explanation as it would confirm their own powers of observation (“You know, Bob, I thought Gio had put on height.”).

Naturally, certain routines would have to be followed to maintain the CHarade. Le Gros Brian would have to enter and exit arenas by the back door so as not to reveal his true height to the prying eyes of television cameras.
    The sad fact, however, is that he could never be seen in public again without his skates on.

A small price to pay, perhaps, for a small player wanting to step up his game.
    Of course, after retirement, Gio could resume his normal appearance, much like Bonds did after his career ended. The unfortunate part is, he also would be hounded by whispers he had been on stair-oids.

108. Framlingem says:

You, sir or ma’am, win one Internet.

109. Chuck says:

Don’t worry about sneakin’ him around. I’m sure that the Habs could afford a second set for his street footwear.

Centre Hice: Leafs face huge lawsuit

110. DearyLeary says:

Hal Gill isnt’ the sharpest knife in the kitchen.  It took all the reporters at least four or five tries before he could figure out their questions hahaha…

111. JohnBellyful says:

That’s good, right? And does it come with batteries?