Habs hope for repeat performance

AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Michael Cammalleri | Brian Gionta | Hal Gill | P.K. Subban

From Pat Hickey, as dictated to Stubbs

The Canadiens are hoping to build on last night’s 2-0 victory over the Vancouver Canucks when they head to Boston tomorrow for their first of six meetings this season against the Bruins.

There was no change in the lineup at today’s practice and the Canadiens should be well rested tomorrow while the Bruins are facing a short night’s sleep because they play tonight in Pittsburgh.

“It always helps when you have a team coming off a back-to-back and you’ve had some rest. We have to capitalize on that by getting a quick start,” said Michael Cammalleri.

Dustin Boyd cleared waivers yesterday and remains with the team but will be a healthy scratch in Boston along with Alexandre Picard and Ryan O’Byrne.

1. habs365 says:

don’t get me wrong I like halak….his team didn’t show up tonight and neither did he….so now we can assume he’s human….

The Rocket.

2. habs365 says:

I feel sorry for toronto and I don’t make fun of them….I look at it this way….what goes around comes around….they don’t have much offence….much like the Habs….so Habs fans don’t poke fun….our turn is just a few bad games away and they’ll be on the same boat with Toronto….

The Rocket knows.

3. 23 HABS 23 says:

Seriously … where is “MontrealAthiest” … the ol’ scorpion toad character.  I would like to get his impressions of the St. Louis Blues performance tonight against Columbus.  Especially that of his hero Halak.  4 goals on 15 shots (Save %: .733)

Now before everyone gets up in arms … I have nothing against Jaroslav Halak (I honestly wish him all the best and believe that he has found himself a great home in St. Louis) … but it is nice to see that even the playoff hero of yester year is human and was not the only answer in nets for the Montreal Canadiens.

GO PRICE GO!

GO HABS GO! (Let’s go get that elusive 25th Stanley Cup!)

4. otter649 says:

If Lapierre scored into the empty net last night all six Canucks on the ice would have gotten a minus & The Habs on the ice a plus not always a fair stat but thats the way the rule plays out………

5. Bugs says:

Gotta love Pierre McGuire: “Wideman got the puck in the face. Doesn’t look serious; just a lot of blood is all.”

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

6. Mike D says:

Don’t tell me what I think – I never said goalies were a dime a dozen.  And for the record I was a big fan of Halak and still like the guy.  I’m also a big fan of Price (always was).  Only one of those guys still plays for the Habs and that’s who I support.

Thanks for proving your lack of intelligence and giving me credibility by saying the Habs cap issue is, “my opinion and not fact.”  Clearly it is a fact and feel free to reference NHLnumbers or capgeek and see for yourself.  We’re pressed up close to the cap limit with our current roster, Halak’s cap hit is 1 mil more than Price’s, and Perron’s is 1 mil more than Eller’s (including bonus).  Please explain to me how we were going to fit them both in.  Or would you rather we pulled a Lamoriello Special and dress a short roster?  It’s worked wonders for the Devils…

Thanks for coming out, troll.

– Honestly yours

7. db says:

Those are worse than grenades!

8. avatar_58 says:

I’m gonna switch between, maybe I’ll catch a Leblanc goal

9. Aybara says:

Just like the disbelief among GM’s is not fact, but opinion. Scratch that, its random speculation based on your opinion.

10. LA Loyalist says:

Yeah, Gomez is like a guy who gets a girl to go home with him, only she changes her mind and calls a cab as soon as things get interesting.

11. Bugs says:

And then, that “lot” returned from Mars, I gather?

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

12. Bugs says:

RDS or TSN?

Would you rather watch our peewees go at it with junior Ivans or the leafs get their teeth kicked in some more?

Way I see it, it’s irrelevance vs comedy. And a choice like that ain’t no choice at all. C’mooooon, Panters!

Despicably despondent, I yawn as

13. SeriousFan09 says:

Phillippe Lefebvre played game 1, no points, even +/- and no PIMs. RW Brendan Gallagher has been selected to the WHL set of games.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

14. Say Ash says:

Do we have anybody else in that thing?

15. Everlasting1 says:

Glad you think goalies are a dime a dozen. He is most definitely worth a proven top 6. The cap space issue is your opinion, not fact.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

16. SeriousFan09 says:

RDS and Sportsnet according to Habs Prospects.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

17. HabFanSince72 says:

He’s a rookie.

18. HabFanSince72 says:

There will be injuries. That is the logical explanation.

There is no other solution at the moment. Picard and O’Byrne are the 7th and 8th d-men on this team and they will be needed at some point. You can’t send O’Byrne down, so he stays in the pressbox.

19. avatar_58 says:

This is on sportsnet right?

20. Everlasting1 says:

I’m on the Blues blog, and I know for a fact they don’t give a damn about Eller and are thrilled in acquiring  Halak. They can’t believe Mtl. gave him up..for real. Neither can most GMs throughout the league.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

21. SeriousFan09 says:

Peter Forsberg continuing the Black Knight from Monty Python act, apparently he’s going for another comeback.

Such a tragedy the great stars of the 90s Lemieux, Bure and Forsberg’s health held them back from being even greater legends.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

22. HabFanSince72 says:

Not to mention that St.Louis would never trade him.

23. SeriousFan09 says:

Louis Leblanc reported to be playing Game 2 of the Super Series with the Q facing the Russians tonight, for those of you interested.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

24. Mark C says:

I’m sure they do, and some of these new advanced plus minus stats are better.

25. SeriousFan09 says:

I’m sure teams track those kinds of stats for internal use, but I agree that stat could use some updates from the NHL.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

26. Everlasting1 says:

How about giving Gomer the ’08 Kovalev treatment? But somehow I don’t think it’d have the same effect, for a) He doesn’t score b) He’s not a fan favourite (other than his comedic persona) and c) it’s not a contract year.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

27. Storm Man says:

Interesting read thanks. Im still not sold on Picard  with the team all year, But what do I know I don’t make my living as a GM in the NHL. I will leave it up to a few on here with some ridiculous statements on how to run the Habs.

28. Mark C says:

My problem is that, as a stat it is so inconsistent, it depends too much on teammates, and does not account for PP and PK abilities. Also, some fans place too much value in the stat and consider plus minus to be a reflection of defensive ability.

David Krejci and Blake Wheeler lead to NHL in plus minus in 2008-09 with +37 and +36 respectively, the following season Krejci was +8 and Wheeler was -4. Was Wheeler really that much worse in just one year, or does plus minus just depend on teammates, and overall play?

Or uses the Bryan Murray trial balloon approach.

Picard en a suffisamment montré pour que le Canadien lui dise de se chercher un appartement à Montréal

loosely translated

Picard’s play has given the Canadiens sufficient cause to ask him to find an apartment in Montreal

31. SeriousFan09 says:

There’s being a minus in the game and being a minus in the game. You can score two points but be a -2 because your points were on PP and two goals were scored that weren’t your fault because of other players screwing up or the goalie allowing softies, coach won’t hold it against you.

But, if a goal is scored because you took a dumb penalty and it cost the team? That’s a minus in the coach’s book, as is ignoring your defensive assignment or not bachchecking and it leads to a goal.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

32. Mike D says:

I’m very excited about Eller’s potential too.  The problem with a lot of folks on this site is that they were expecting a proven top 6 player in return.  What they fail to realize is that acquiring someone like David Perron (who was named repeatedly by people on HIO as the ‘one’ they would have wanted/accepted for Halak) and his 2.15mil cap hit, wouldn’t fit under our current cap situation.

– Honestly yours

33. Storm Man says:

Source? Thanks.

34. Mike D says:

Not a chance Gomez sits next game (or any game for that matter).  His offensive production is brutal ATM, but he is still playing very well defensively.  That alone gets him a guaranteed spot in the lineup and gives him time to get his offensive production going.

Speaking of his offensive play, those blind passes of his – especially the ones that end up on our opponents sticks – are killing me, but he’s one of the few centers in the NHL that can carry the puck into enemy territory consistently.  The problem is what he does once he gains the zone.

– Honestly yours

35. TripleX says:

So when JM explains his reasoning for benching Eller or O’Byrne is because he was a minus for the game, he is full of it?  I agree.  🙂

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

36. SeriousFan09 says:

Plus minus isn’t a bad indicator, the problem is when you use just that stat to justify a player’s TOI. Jeff Schultz’s +50 last season didn’t make him the best defencemen in the NHL last year. You have to examine the rest of their stats and watch the play. Just using numbers is how Mike Green ends up as runner-up for the Norris.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

37. Storm Man says:

Could not have said it any better myself.

I read somewhere that he was told to get an apartment in Montreal. He’s been solid if not spectacular.

39. Mark C says:

Plus minus stats now? Brooks Laich leads the Caps at +10 while Nick Backstrom and Ovie are only +2. I see no logical explanation why Bruce Boudreau is giving more ice to Backstrom and Ovie than Laich.

Bottom line plus minus stats are crap.

40. habsman-itoba says:

Wow!  Thanks for all the responses below!  My coworker tells me that a lot of Blues fans were not happy to part with Eller, thinking he was too much to give up in return for Halak.  They thought having Eller and Mason would have been better than having Halak.  They were apparently quite excited about his potential (no matter what Pierre Mguire says).

41. SeriousFan09 says:

Gill is a key plank in the 5th-best PK unit in the NHL, and that PK is 1st overall on the road. Picard can’t do that and just because Pierre Gauthier doesn’t run his mouth and practically place a D-man on Ebay like Burke does when he wants to trade doesn’t mean nothing is going on to address the situation.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

42. Mark C says:

Martin pretty much just rolled 3 lines, Moen got 6:31 and Pyatt got 4:47 of ES ince time.

43. TripleX says:

I believe Picard leads the team at +7.  What is Gill?

O’Byrne is getting paid 1.4 million to sit in the pressbox.  Is it fair to him and does it make sense in a cap NHL to have TWO Dmen sitting?  Trade him for assets or play him.

I don’t see a logical explanation for what management or JM is doing.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

44. likehoy says:

eller is not jacques martin ready!

he looks physically ready and talent wise…but his hockey sense and teamwork has a lot of refining to do.

JM is slowly breaking him in by making him play a consistent 7-8 minutes per night before giving him anymore responsibility

I think eller’s going to surprise people come mid-season to late season.

remember subban at the start of the playoffs…he only played 13-15 minutes until markov was injured, then the injury let subban shine….eller’s getting the same treatment essentially.

– I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

45. HFX-HabFan says:

Picard?  The dude is a fringe NHLer at best; how many 25 year olds are already with their fifth organization?  It’s not up to Montreal to have “developed” him by now, PG recognized him as a moderately serviceable asset who could be a seventh D/AHLer.  Whatever upside is there has already been reached.

46. Mikey_39 says:

I think Gomez should sit next game.  He looks unmotivated and lazy out there.  Give Eller another shot on a top line….

Kostitsyn-Plecky-Gionta

Cammalieri-Eller-Pouliot

Darche-Halpern-Pyatt

Remainder

47. TripleX says:

Last three games I believe 7.5, pressbox, 4.5.  But I am probably being too cynical and anti management.  I am sure Picard, O’Byrne and Eller are getting better and will be great due to fine Montreal player developement.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

48. shiram says:

JM said he might put him on the PK so he has more minutes

Poutine, the perfect trio, on any line.

49. MTLForever says:

he’s strong on the puck typically, he needs more ice time for us to really evaluate him more. however, no terrible game from him yet

His development is being “managed”, is it not clear? 🙂

But honestly, from what I’ve seen from Eller so far it’s ok with me. He isn’t really showing that he was worth trading Halak for.

51. habsman-itoba says:

Just out of curiosity, has anyone seen an explanaition as to why Eller played only 4.5 minutes last night?  A co-worker of mine is a Blues fan and is wondering why that happened.

52. likehoy says:

all in all…unless scott gomez gets off the mark and starts putting the puck on his teammates’ stick and those sticks put the puck in the net…it’s going to be a very long season.

I’m tempted to remove AK from the 4th line of gomez and lapierre and put him with Eller.

My issue with Eller is that he’s a playmaker, not a goal scorer and he just skates in trying to score that elusive first goal and has a serious lack of teamwork. I think putting AK on his wing will help Eller go back to his more natural game, and it also gives AK some more responsibility on a line.

Scott Gomez is currently a black hole…he lacks the effort and the execution right now.

– I support Carey Price as the Number 1 Goalie!

53. nightmare_49 says:

The plus and minus:

Plus:  We are still in first place in our division, even with our stars in a slump.

Knock on wood, we have been basically injury free so far this season, considering the Avs have ten players out right now.

Minus:  We are four points ahead of the tenth place team in our conference, only eight make the show.

54. rocketsglare says:

The Boston game is certainly winnable if the Habs use their speed to attack the slower Boston D, especially

having played the previous night. I have a feeling the Habs are going to have a good scoring night if they can

crash the Bruin net with any consistency. This team is due offensively.