Habs hold pre-draft combine in Brossard

The Canadiens held their own pre-draft combine on Wednesday at their practice facililty in Brossard, inviting 56 players, including 32 from the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.

The Canadiens did not make a list available to the media of the players who were attending, but the top three prospects – Portland Winterhawks defenceman Seth Jones and Halifax Mooseheads forwards Nathan MacKinnon and Jonathan Drouin - weren’t there. They will be long gone before the Canadiens pick in the first round.

Three prospects who were in Brossard are the Mooseheads’ Zachary Fucale, the No. 1-ranked North American goalie by NHL Central Scouting; Rimouski Oceanic forward Frederik Gauthier, the No. 8 ranked North American skater by Central Scouting; and  London Knights centre Bo Horvat (photo above), the No. 15 ranked North American skater.

“I grew up here and to be a part of an event like this one that was organized by the Canadiens is special,” Fucale, who is from Rosemere, told canadiens.com. “All I had to do was take a few tests. They gather the most information possible, and we’ll see what happens (at the draft).

“All of the guys in the Canadiens organization know us from A to Z,” added Fucale, who led the Mooseheads to the Memorial Cup championship this year.

Said Horvat, who was the Ontario Hockey League playoff MVP after posting 16-7-23 totals as the Knights won the league championship: “I’m sure all of the guys are excited (for the draft). I’m excited (too). This month can’t go by slower actually, so I’m really looking forward it. I’m just really excited to see where I go.”

The players in Brossard were to be split into two groups and be put through a series of tests both on and off the ice.

The NHL held its official combine last week in Toronto. The Canadiens’ combine gives the team an opportunity to take a second look at players who were in Toronto and a first look at players who weren’t invited to the NHL combine, especially those from the QMJHL, as they look for a diamond in the rough.

NHL draft prospect rankings, NHL.com

(Photo by Liam Richards/The Canadian Press)

1. habsfaninboston says:

How many posts is that? At least 3.

2. Adidess says:

Pittsburg players seeing that Boston gets away with everything think they can emulate… Tough luck!

3. otter649 says:

The Leafs also had their own combine for a majority of the players who went through The NHL Combine last Thursday/Friday since the kids were already in town they attended a private Leafs Combine on saturday/sunday at The ACC & their practice facility. Smart move by The Leafs no need to fly in or go see kids since they were already in town staying up at the airport. Will probably now be a yearly thing for The Leafs as long as The NHL Combine is held in Toronto….

– Stanley come home…..

4. habsfaninboston says:

What a weak call. Is the fix in or what?

5. habstrinifan says:

Question…

Adam Erne( see Commandant’s post) went to Leafs camp. Assuming he was invited by HABS to their camp and chose the Leafs…

Let’s say you are Timmins and you have this guy rated very highly and one of your ‘will pick’ if he’s still around near where you have him slotted.

Do you still draft him at your ‘original slot’ or does he fall down the team’s ranking.

If I were the Players Agents body I would get some sort of provision where any teams’s individual combine is open to the ‘league’.

Reason.. if as Commandant said many teams; many combines; player has to choose… then it creates asort of imbalance which goues against the intentions of the draft process.

Way I see it.

6. habsfaninboston says:

Matching penalty. Something tells me Marchand would not have been called for the initial trip had Dupuis not retaliated.

7. Mark C says:

Wow! An all time low for rat boy.

8. DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

Is it just me or have the HNIC play-by-play boys suddenly begun to notice all of the Bruins dirty little (and not so little) gestures.

9. JohnBellyful says:

More words of wisdom, PJ’s stock in trade: If you’re going to take a stupid penalty, at least hurt the other guy.
    Here’s what to expect in future:
    Kids, the NHL has rules against performance enhancing drugs, but you know what they say about rules.
    Kids, spearing IS a penalty but if it puts the other player out of the game, well, think of spending time in the box as one way of saying you’re sorry

10. issie74 says:

If Letang is up for the Norris …. P.K is a shoe in.

NorthTOHab

The Bruins have a lot of depth… and width… and height.

12. EricInStL says:

I dislike Pittsburgh and I’m warming up to Boston, but this is one entertaining 2nd period….

Action galore

13. Mavid says:

finally..and another penalty..yes..looks like Clawd is going to blow a gasket..

14. EricInStL says:

I really like Brandon Sutter. 3rd center in Pittsburgh. Maybe a Fleury + Sutter, for Price and ? Damm we have no one else to offer….

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Fleury looks like he might be bought out…why would anyone trade for him?

• EricInStL says:

It’s to get Sutter, since a Price for Sutter makes no sense for Pittsburgh unless they get rid of Fleury before or after. Also I think a pissed off Fleury might be a good thing in Mtl and you get Sutter, finally a big centerman.

Also why buy out Fleury ? I’m sure he has trade value. Don’t know his salary but maybe a Fleury for Luongo + stuff ?

Just wondering…

• Price07 says:

That’s possibly the worst idea I’ve ever heard but ok…Fleury sucks! can’t even win with that team of superstars in front of him. I wouldn’t touch him with a ten foot pole. Price is better. And you don’t trade your goalie for a 3rd line center. are you for real?? lol

• EricInStL says:

yup I am real, I just think Price will never be the goalie he was supposed to become. But I see Sutter as a possible 1st line center with Montreal for sure. He’s 3rd line just like Staal was a 3rd line center with Pittsburgh, Do you think Malkinis a 2nd line centerman ? No but he plays second fiddle to Crosby. ANywhere else he’s No1. Fleury has a weak D in front of him, it’s worse than Montreal’s D.

• Mark C says:

What makes you think Sutter is better than Pleks, Eller, and Chucky, who will jump past him as soon as next year? Eller got less ice time and still had 11 more points than Sutter. He’s a fine player, but you seem to be over valuing him. Hell, even the worst signing in Montreal history out scored Sutter.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

A goalie making 5 million a year who is not good enough to start for one of the most talented teams in the league has no trade value.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Ya, let’s trade a good goaltender for a brutal goaltender and send the organization into another decade long tailspin! Weeee!

• issie74 says:

I hope you are joking.haha

NorthTOHab

• slapshot777 says:

Here we have Posters complaining about Careys on ice play and bitch every chance you get. Then we come up with this idea to trade for Fleurey who can’t even cut it in Pittsburgh with an offense which until this series were capable of scoring five goals a night.

I have to sit back and laugh. I am sure glad there is no one here in a GM position. Pittsburgh would jump at the chance to have Carey Price and we are too stupid to notice we have a good goalie. We just need to improve our defense.

Fleury can’t even do it with Pittsburgh defense and theirs is a lot bigger than ours and he still can’t stop the puck, yet here we are making up trade scenairos to aquire him. F#%king Hilarious.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

15. frontenac1 says:

Rask in da zone

16. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

After watching all these draft videos, I have realized that I have no clue what the Habs will do. They need size but I hope they don’t draft size early just out of need alone. I’d take a 5’11” guy who plays like Gallagher instead of a 6’4″ guy that plays like Pouliot. Also their players need to skate well. I agree with commandant that the Habs should not waste an early pick on a player with a skill-set they can draft later. I would not mind if they took a shot on a player like Laurent Dauphin in the second round.

• SUMO says:

I’m with you on that. Get a big guy that can play, not just a big body that floats. I wonder if Dauphin may not just fall into the 2nd rd like Collberg did last year. He is a 6-footer but needs to fill out alot but you can’t overlook the skill.

• Phil C says:

I agree about trying to draft talent first, not just size because they need it. The AHL and ECHL is filled with big guys that will never play a game in the NHL. It takes more than size.

Krejci is on fire in these playoffs. His draft size was 5’11” and 174 lbs.

• issie74 says:

That is what Bergevin said.

NorthTOHab

17. EricInStL says:

Ah the old NHL evening up bit….was wondering where it was.

18. NL Hab says:

Ugggggghhhhh. I just woke up from an awful nightmare. I dreamed that our White Knight Bergevin signed Desharnais to a 4 year contract. I then checked capgeek and realized that it wasn’t a bad dream.

Bergevin must have been smoking Crack with Mayor Ford when he signed that contract. How can such a sane man make one of the worst signings in Montreal History. At least Gomez wasn’t signed by a Hab. Sather got Gainey pissed drunk and made him sign on the dotten line. There is no excuse for Bergevin.

Et Le But

• Steven says:

The DD signing honestly isn’t that bad. He had 60 points last year, and he helped his wingers as much as they helped him.

He was absolutely dismal this year, for sure, and he’s signed for too much for too long, but he’s actually in around market price for a 60 point getter.

Worst signing in Montreal History? Not even close

• NL Hab says:

Name a worse signing that was made by Montreal. He had one good year that patches and Cole carried him on that line. He is a 2nd line AHL center at best. His last name is why he is signed in Montreal. He is taking ice time away from Galchenyuk and Eller and hopefully that will stop as of next year. He is the worst player on the team and I beg you to name a signing Montreal has made that is worse than this signing, with the same Dollars or above. Remember that Gainey did not sign Gomez.

Bold prediction. DD will play the final 2 years of his deal in Hamilton. You heard it here first.

Et Le But

• SUMO says:

Sergei Samsonov

• NL Hab says:

Well played Sumo. I like your style. However even that was only a 2 year deal.

Et Le But

• Mark C says:

At best a 2nd line AHL center? He once lead a very good AHL team in scoring while playing fifteen fewer games than the player in second place. Way lose all credibility.

• NL Hab says:

Yes, he “once” led a very good AHL team in scoring. ” Way lose all credibility” said the man who doesn’t know how to speak. Is Mark C really DD? I seem to have hit a nerve there hey little man.

Et Le But

• Steven says:

I can’t think of any bad signings recently(only a few bad trades), though I still can’t say I consider this one bad. Coulda gone better for sure, but it’s not bad

• NL Hab says:

We won’t know for certain until about year 2 or 3. However, it is possible that he could become irrelevant as early as this year. Right now we have Pleks, Gio, Eller, Galchenyuk, Patches, and Gallagher who are all better players than DD. So he will be given a top 6 spot, most likely from Eller or Galchenyuk, which is very unfair. He cannot play a bottom 6 role cause he is the worst defensive forward we have.

Keep in mind that we have Kristo and Collberg who could be ready for the NHL in 2014/15. So that is only year 2 of his contract.

So really, I don’t think there is room for him right now, let alone in 2 or 3 years down the road.

Et Le But

• Steven says:

I wouldn’t worry too much, NL. There’s always a team like COL(maybe not anymore, but…) who are willing to try to rekindle a 60 pt scorer if we can’t get that outta him. Maybe TB will call sooner or later

• Mark C says:

Talk of all time worst signings from a Yankees fan. I guess you’d know.

• NL Hab says:

Oh, another DD fan. Sensitive group tonight. And yes you are right, I know all about horrible signings from the Yanks over the years. However, DD is the worst signing I have ever seen from the Habs.

Et Le But

• Phil C says:

DD finished in 40th place in scoring among centres, his winger was the team’s leading scorer, yet he is paid like 3rd line centre. He had a bad year, yet was on pace for 48 points, which is typical 2nd line centre production. Why is it such a bad signing?

19. johnnylarue says:

Bruins are officially the masters of “no whistle” playoff hockey.

They’ve figured out the refereeing better than anyone else, and have the horses in place to take advantage of it to the fullest.

Cheap, dirty–call it what you will–but what they’re doing to the NHL’s most potent offense is Frk’ing impressive.

Also of note: Pens’ 3rd and 4th lines just don’t measure up to Boston’s. Not even close. So much for their oft-vaunted “depth”.

Bruins in 4? I never would have guessed it, but I wouldn’t be surprised now.

20. Hobie Hansen says:

Cherry, you’re bang on again. Good job buddy. I’d love to see someone out there, who can take a regular shift, protecting Subban, Plekanec and others.

And if someone smacks me in the back of the head with his stick and then 2 seconds later on the bare hand, he’s getting a stick to the face for sure. Good job Keith, IMO.

21. Mavid says:

common Pens..

22. JohnBellyful says:

I’m not a big fan of the butterfly style of netminding anymore. The name, for one thing. Butterfly? Really?
    Sounds kinda delicate, fragile, definitely not intimidating.
    Compare that to what they call goal scorers, the really good ones: Snipers. Sharpshooters.
    Not much of a contest, is it, when you frame it in those terms, butterfly vs sharpshooter.
    Splattttt!!
    And I just don’t see the resemblance between a goaltender getting ready for a shot, and a butterfly, other than a net’s involved with both.
    Be honest now, does a butterfly cross your mind when a goalie drops to his knees, spreads out his legs, and holds out his arms at each side?
    I just don’t see it. Not even after a few drinks.
    (Front’, whaddya think, does he look like a butterfly to you?)
    I think netminding, which evolved from standing to crouching to flopping to papilio, is due for another leap forward in how the position is played.
    The same holds true for the design of the equipment, which went from this
    this to this and now could use some further refinement.
    Here’s my idea: Ditch the butterfly stuff and move to higher ground in the animal kingdom. Take a cue from a creature that inspires fear in the stoutest of hearts.
    Step two. Carry on where they left off with the catching glove. Attach some webbing between the torso and the underside of the arms.
    What you get is a goalie that doesn’t play deep in the crease but comes out and challenges opponents.
    What you get is … Voila!

I know what you’re thinkin’, you’d have to search hi and higher to find the right goalie coach to take on this assignment but I’m pretty sure there’s someone out there who could handle the job.
    I’d start at Frostbite Falls.

23. The Jackal says:

At the risk of sounding uber obvious, I’m gonna say that this series goes 2 ways. Pens win tonight and have a chance at coming back, or they lose tonight and they are toast. Bylsma is put to pasture, and Fleury? Well, he may not be in Pittsburgh either.

Iginla? I’m rooting for the guy but he does not re-sign with the Pens if this goes south. He probably pulls a Hossa, I hope he wins a cup.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I hate to say it but the Bruins look very good.

• Habcouver says:

If it goes South for Pens, Iggy will sign with Booins next year. Maybe.

Waiting patiently for #25

• savethepuck says:

No matter what happens in these playoffs, Iggy doesn’t sign with the Pens. He is purely a rental and there is no way the Pens will be able to take the CAP hit of Iggy’s new contract.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

24. HabFanSince72 says:

I agree: Bylsma is probably toast if they lose this series.

25. habsfan0 says:

Jerome Iginla must think he’s PK Subban the way the Boston crowd is booing him.

26. mrhabby says:

Has the feeling of a very ugly nasty game..love it.

27. Kimberly2u says:

That’s what happens when u spend all that money gearing up for the cup and its coming back to bite them in the ass

• NL Hab says:

Yeah it looks good on them too. Giving up a lot of picks and prospects for 1 playoff run is not the way to do things anymore. Glad we have Bergevin.

Et Le But

28. Habcouver says:

If Crosby has more time to work on his playoff beard, he would resemble Jon Snow.

Waiting patiently for #25

29. mrhabby says:

Try to buy a cup pitt and the hockey gods say no way.

30. frontenac1 says:

Jeeze,now I”m worried. I was at a Flyers game at the forum(not a playoff game) and I saw Hextall skate out to the blue line at go after a guy. I thought it was Chelios. I checked the Chelios video and it was a playoff game in the Corner and In Philly. Was I dreaming? Or did he have more than one fight? Weird.

31. Kimberly2u says:

Pens are toast

• Strummer says:

So is Bylsma- they’ve gone downhill since the Cup victory in ’09

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

32. jols101 says:

Big Bad F’n Bruins strike early again…

33. jols101 says:

Why is CBC hijacking the Hawks/Kings series from TSN ?

• The Jackal says:

Who knows, but TSN was getting good. Funny segments, no PJ or Cherry. Why must we listen to CBC’s crap?

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• jols101 says:

I know. I much prefer TSN. I am hoping they outbid CBC for the NHL rights when the contract expires. The only problem I have with TSN is their Laff’s bias but even that is worse on CBC.

• The Jackal says:

Yeah exactly, Laff bias unfortunately remains but CBC is more of a laff blower than TSN.

______________________
          Hockey sine stercore tauri.

34. Habfan10912 says:

From the best anthem (Chicago) to the worse (Boston). My God that is just awful.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Rene Rancourt is awesome!

Going to a hockey game is supposed to be fun! And seeing a cheesy, Las Vegas style, anthem singer is fun, IMO,

35. ths says:

My people are saying Malkin and Flower for Price and DD

Ooh Aah Habs on the Golf Cart path

• Steven says:

Only in NHL 13, my friend. We’d win that trade and it wouldn’t be close

• The Jackal says:

Having Fleury in net is winning a trade?

Pens get a good goalie, are set in net for years, clear cap room, and get DD – a solid top 9 guy, who can probably do well in their system…. and we get Malkin and The Sieve.
        Malkin is great but we’d have a big hole in net.

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• NL Hab says:

Pens get a good goalie and a garbage center for 4 more years. Montreal gets the same goalie back and Malkin. Are you even serious? I would do this trade and throw in our next 2 1st round draft picks on top of this.

Et Le But

• Naslund110 says:

your people huh

• mrhabby says:

Bergevin is not stupid.

• jols101 says:

Are you saying that would be a bad trade for Montreal? Really? Malkin is a top 5 player in the entire league. I’m a huge Price guy and would do this trade in a heartbeat. DD is no lose at all and we trade one struggling goalie for another and we get a world class talent. It isn’t happening because Ray Shero (sp) isn’t an idiot.

• mrhabby says:

I think price has more upside and Fleury is trending down…better to know the devil you have than not..

• jols101 says:

Fair enough. And, I agree, Price is better than Fleury but it is all about Malkin. We haven’t had a talent like him since Guy. Can you imagine having Malkin, Galchenyuk, and Eller down the middle for the next decade or so. Look out. Again, it won’t happen but I can dream.

36. Hobie Hansen says:

I’ve only seen one quick replay of the Keith stick swing. It looked to me that that Carter swung his stick and hit Keith in the back of the helmet as well?

Carter should have got one as well or they both should have got nothing, IMO.

37. Habfan10912 says:

I agree with twi. I don’t understand how some are disappointed in the third year pro who also happens to be the teams leading scorer the last two seasons. Patches is exactly the type of player many of us are arguing that the team needs.
    Like 24 yesterday, I’m getting a little sick and tired of some folks ridiculous expectations on our better players whether it be Pleks, Patches, PK or Gionta. These folks aren’t the issue with this team. Far from it. Geez guys! I love ya but come on.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I posted a half sarcastic comment below implying that I’d like to see Pacioretty play a bit tougher. He’s not a Shanahan and probably never will be. However, he’s still pretty damn good and I think he’ll have a bounce back, 30+ goal season next year. I’d never want him traded unless it was an obvious home run.

• Lafleurguy says:

Hiya evening-shift Jim. Some don’t share the different aspects of team loyalty you, me, and many others have. Poignant that there were some posts (which I agreed with) about the erroneous decision to trade away a young John Leclair, and now we witness the lashing out at a young Pacioretty. He had a poor season in comparison to the one before, but that productive version can very likely re-emerge. By comparison, older guy Plekanec is unlikely to reproduce a 29-goal season, and definitely, Captain Gionta is not going to score 48. Brett Hull was given up at a young age, and if I weren’t tired, I could drum up other examples in addition to Hull and Leclair. Just to close by saying non-bandwagon-riding fans have more patience and insight. There were reasons why pundits forecasted the 2012-13 Habs to be a non-playoff team, and the games against Ottawa revealed some of those reasons. Trading away young key players would set things back.

“May you live in interesting times.”

38. savethepuck says:

So Duncan Keith gets a 1 game suspension.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

• 24 Cups says:

That might be enough to even up the series.

Hab fans need to take a good look at the final four teams. It gives you an idea of just how much work still lies ahead. It’s no time to rest of the laurels of a lucky 2nd place conference finish.

• Habfan10912 says:

I still maintain the majority of the work needs to be around the defensive corps.

• Maritime Ron says:

Keith is a former 2010 Norris winner that never gets his just due because he is low key.
        The guy plays 25 tough minutes every game including 1st Unit PK and against every other team’s top guys.
        Hawks D is not deep enough to lose him.
        Bet Kings next game.

• GrosBill says:

It is a huge loss to the Hawks for sure. One of my favourite Keith moments, though it went to a losing cause, was they went out to Van in seven after being down three nothing. When Seabrook got taken out, it really seemed to ignite Keith. He was huge in the rest of the series, even though they lost.

I’ve always liked Toews and Keith. It is one reason I have kind of hoped for hawks at times recently. Toews also had huge game tying goal in game seven of that series.

• savethepuck says:

I know the motto this year was “no excuses”, but realistically the Habs lost Gio,Max, Lars, Prust, Whitey and Carey in the series. Add the Emelin injury late in the season to that and that’s a lot to overcome. Before the OT loss in game 4, the only bad game they played was game 3.
        Our team is not that far away.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

• The Jackal says:

Habs do have their work cut out as far as building to become a contender, BUT our finish in the standings was not lucky, our end was unlucky.

If the Habs were bad during the final stretch, the Bruins were worse. We played as well or better than them before the slump and we were only second to the Pens in the East. Not to mention, when you look at the Pens, are they really a playoff team, or are they a team that benefited from playing 2 inexperienced and unremarkable teams? Their D and goaltending are terrible and now that they face a truly strong and deep team, they seem to have no answer to their problems.

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• issie74 says:

Yes and what did Carter get when he high sticked Jackman in the throat, Jackman was on his knees couldn’t get up because he couldn’t breath.

NorthTOHab

So I guess it’s official, Fleury is an amnesty buyout.

The goaltending carousel in the NHL, as well as amnesty buyouts, is going to make for a very interesting first week of July.

MB needs to stand pat and then pick through the ruins to grab Ryder and Emelin replacements.

40. Maritime Ron says:

Does Pit ever have a huge mountain to climb…
    They need to win 2 out of 3 in Boston, and their own 2 at home to advance – 4 of the last 5.

A question for the great and smart posters here.
    Is Sidney Crosby a REAL leader and great Captain?

There is no doubt that Crosby is one of the best talents to ever play in the NHL, yet is he a great leader?
    His blow ups and yapping, what can be deemed as infantile at best, cannot help his team.

One also has to wonder if his constant whining gets to his team mates, especially the idiotic exchange with Chara and the juvenile tactics with Rask.
    His lazy play and 4 monster giveaways last game can’t help.

The Crosby whining is getting so well known, that now Jet Blue pilots are having fun with it.
    On a recent flight they were notified that a baby was crying on the plane.
    They then came on the intercom asking if ” Sidney Crosby was on the plane? :-) See Joe Hagertty Twitter.

Great talent?
    Of course, yet that final series when the Pens won the Cup was all about Malkin and Max Talbot, with leadership by Guerin and a D lead by…Gonchar, Scuderi, and a fella by the name of Hall Gill in his prime.
    Crosby was MIA in that final series with 1 goal, 2 assists in 7 games…and has Captained the Pens to nothing since then…and barring some incredible come back, will have the goat horns firmly placed on his crown.

A fair question perhaps, but I think it is also easy for us to overlook what he has gone through the past couple years. This was going to be his first full season back since missing huge amounts of time where he probably didn’t know if he would play again. Then when it looks like he is hitting full stride he suffers the broken jaw, missing teeth etc….

He has been through a great deal of trauma. Perhaps he is not yet the great leader/captain which many assume he is, but he is still quite young and has yet to have a full season relatively healthy since those devastating injuries.

• JF says:

I’ve asked myself that question more than once since our series with the Penguins three years ago. Game 7 started with Crosby going after Josh Gorges the moment the puck dropped for something that had happened at the end of the previous game. Crosby took a penalty, we scored on the ensuing powerplay, and the Penguins never recovered. In that crazy series with Philly last year, Crosby’s loss of composure was at the root of many of the undisciplined penalties the Penguins took, and could be said to be one of the main reasons that series degenerated into a goonfest. And in the game against Boston the other night, he did a lot of whining and a lot of turning over the puck, but not much else.

So I’m not convinced Crosby is a good captain. Another thing I’m not convinced of is that he and Malkin should be playing on the same team. It seems to me that Malkin is at his most effective when Crosby is not in the lineup.

And the third thing I’m not convinced of is that Dan Bylmsa is a good coach. When a game is going badly, he seems unable to get his team settled down with their emotions enough under control to do what they have to do to come back.

• Maritime Ron says:

JF
        Absolutely perfectly said, especially the Malkin/Crosby thing along with the bench door opener Bylmsa .

• Habfan10912 says:

Well said JF and may I also add that it’s as difficult to win Stanley Cups without solid goaltending as winning Super Bowls without a decent Quarterback.

• Savardian Spinorama says:

Whining? When? The jawing at Chara in game 1? That’s trash talking or mouthing off. Whining is when you chase after the refs to complain about some perceived injustice. Or making excuses to the media for coming up short on the scoreboard or whatever. I’ll concede that Sid was guilty of such behavior early in his career but certainly not lately. To my mind he’s been an excellent leader, although he does need to step it up if his team is to have any chance vs Boston. Anyway what constitutes a good leader in your opinion? Do you think Sid’s boss and mentor Mario Lemieux was a good leader? The guy never attended practices, was always late to team functions, said boo in the dressing room, and just generally kept to himself. His performance on the ice, however, was very often inspiring. So too was his triumph over back problems that would have ended the careers of lesser mortals. Then there was the bout with cancer. Sid has overcome similar challenges and I don’t recall him ever playing the sympathy card. That’s more than leadership, it’s class which is something that’s sorely lacking in professional sports these days.

• JF says:

I’m not denying that Crosby is a great player or that his performance on the ice is often inspirational. And as you say, he’s gone through some tough injuries without trying to elicit sympathy. But he does whine to the refs when he thinks he’s been fouled; he did it a couple of times last game. Where I think he falls short as a leader is in his failure to maintain his composure in situations when his team is down in a big game. When they need him to really step up, he can’t be taking undisciplined penalties.

41. twilighthours says:

No one is seriously suggesting trading patches, are they?

• Hobie Hansen says:

No. Wouldn’t mind him watching a few videos of Shanahan, Neely and Tkachuk and play like they did next season though.

• Timo says:

I would trade him for an equivalent of Neely or Shanahan or Tkachuk. Since when is Pacioretty untouchable?

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Don’t mean to sound gloomy, but it’s possible he never will. It really looks to me as if he has come to understand what the long-term, post-career implications of concussion can be. I don’t think he’s scared, I think he’s being realistic. And if he can lead the team in scoring without using his size in front and in the dirty areas, maybe he can continue. So for the offensive size we need, we’re going to have to look elsewhere.
        (Same story Moen, Bourque, Cole…)

• piper says:

I think you’re right Mike. Thats why the Habs need to draft the best available power forward type with each and every pick this year. That way if one or two pan out thats pretty good.

• kalevine says:

There are concussions all over the league. Why do the Habs who get concused stop playing big while other teams’ victims come back and do it again? Is it because on the Habs nobody has your back?

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I’ve been suggesting it for years now.

Any of you Blue Jays fans ever wonder about that intro song you hear between innings etc… during a telecast? Click here to see the composer and watch him conduct the orchestra who play it.

To the people who propose we bundle most of our picks to move up, unless you are getting a franchise player (top 3-4) pick this season, the move is dangerous.

Also, the Habs clearly need depth. Looking at the current L.A. Kings team, one sees players like Clifford and Voynov and what a good job they do for the Kings. Both were 2nd round picks for the Kings in slots similar to where we have picks.

Obviously no guarantee we get that, but Timmins has a good eye, we have 3 picks in the 2nd, this is a year for the Habs to really do a great deal in our depth department.

Encourage people to look at these draft tables and see the kind of talent found in the 2nd rounds.

44. Haven’t posted in a while, but I saw all the love on here for Hextall and thought you guys might enjoy this, ahem, highlights video. : )

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Cheers.
      Wasn’t ever a big fan, but he was an interesting player for sure.
      Indeed, it amazes me how non-retaliatory goalies are given the abuse they receive in the course of a game.

• boing007 says:

I’d like to see Price swat away a few opposing players in front of his crease once awhile. Send him to Winnipeg for the summer and he can learn how by swatting mosquitoes all day long.

Richard R

45. habsfan0 says:

I think tonight is a measuring stick game for the Penguins.

46. Maritime Ron says:

habs1992 says:….If Lecavialer was bought out id take a chance on him 2 years 6 million
    ——
    Just a few questions.
    Would Lecavalier, and what you propose to pay him, bring us the Cup?
    Could our Cap dollars be better spent in answering other glaring needs?

Next, IF he shows up (very doubtful-Tampa is a great place to live..) and he wants/demands Top 6 minutes, what do we do with TP, LE, DD, yet most importantly, Galchenyuk who will need to slot into the C position either during next year or worst case the beginning of 2014?

• Habifax says:

i think the train has left the station on guys like vinny. need to look more to the future. i hope….

• Ozmodiar says:

What do you do with DD if you can land VL for $3M!!?? Ha! You put him to the curb with a sign around his neck that says “Take Me”. That’s what you do. How’s that?

Chucky would play on the wing for a while longer. Depth @ C is a good problem to have.

Mind you, none of this will happen.

47. Habifax says:

like to see them trade up with all those 2nd and third rd picks. move up to top 10 and get a player they really want.
    was looking at some of the past picks not a great record…..

48. habs1992 says:

If Devils Buy out Volchenkov, Habs better try hard for him, would look great on our weak D. If Lecavialer was bought out id take a chance on him 2 years 6 million

I support Carey Price

49. frontenac1 says:

I was at the game at the Forum when he skated out ,took down Chelios and started pummeling him. Crowd was chanting Hextaaaal,Hextaaaal. It really set him off. Hilarious!

50. Dunboyne Mike says:

Hmmm… Billy might be gone a bit nice in retirement!

Nice vid, him and Lanny Mac reminisce about their fight in the 1970s:

51. frontenac1 says:

Hextall would be nasty. Teach Carey how to chop ankles ,skate out the Blue Line and Tackle guys.

52. frontenac1 says:

Any Enforcers invited to this Combine?

• HabFab says:

There are about half a dozen that can play and scrap. The only “enforcer” is smaller then Prust and White. At least that was what I read…he was unknown to me.

• Habfan17 says:

John Hayden is 6″3 and according to scouts he can fight and score. He finished top 10 at the NHL combine and I saw he was at the Habs combine. he is rated around late 2nd round

Habfan17

53. Dansolo says:

A preview of the new fighting mechanics in NHL 14 by EA Sports.
    The Canadiens get shown twice in the video. They are used as examples of “not so tough guys”. Max Pacioretty 1:04 and Travis Moen at 1:33. Enjoy!

54. HabFab says:

HabsTV starting post combine interviews with the major prospects;

55. Dunboyne Mike says:

What prospect were we talking about 2 weeks ago who had no vowels in his name?

56. mrhabby says:

I don’t really pay much attention to the draft unless were drafting 1st overall..but 1 guy who i have heard about is Kirby Rychel son of Warren Rychel.

Warren was one gritty nasty player and would seem to fit the mold much like Bergevin himself. Maybe he is on MB’s radar.

• Luke says:

Aside from one Moenian/Bickellian ;) playoff run (6g/7a/23gp) Warren wasn’t much of player beyond being a fighter. 1400PIMS in 400GP, 77pts.
      I think Kerby is projecting to be more of a complete player. Which is fine by me. He’s an interesting prospect. I saw him play a few times (TV & Live) while not overwhelming, he always seemed to be pretty solid & involved.

• Stevie.Ray says:

Rychel and Erne are two players I like. They seem to switch spots in every draft ranking. Sometimes higher than the other, sometimes lower. Rychel is the better scorer but Erne is a better physical player

57. HabFab says:

Here is some kind of list for the Combine. It was compiled by posters from HF Boards monitoring twitter feeds;

Kurt Etchegary
    Spencer Martin
    Franky Palazzese
    Zach Hall
    Zack Fucale
    Antoine Bibeau
    L-P Guindon
    Ryan Graves * (or Jacob Graves)
    Matt Murphy * (or Trevor Murphy)
    Samuel Henley
    Frederik Gauthier
    William Carrier
    Jonathan Diaby
    Philippe Desrosiers
    Yan-Pavel Laplante

• commandant says:

Please don’t draft McCarron…. at least not with picks 25, 34, or 36.

With 3 picks, don’t take the third liner, swing for the fences on all 3, and play the averages that at least 1 will become a top line guy.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Steeltown Hab says:

McCarron doesn’t have top 6 potential?

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• commandant says:

I don’t see it.

I see a guy with 6 goals in 53 games on the U17s

and 5 goals in 19 games with the U18s.

He reminds me of a Habs draft pick in 1991, Turner Stevenson… sure he’ll be useful, but…

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Price07 says:

I have to disagree, as Bickell is showing in chicago, a physically dominant 3rd liner is huge for a team. Now this is even more true if you’re talking about the habs which are well undresized up front, not only presently, but for the future as well. I wouldn’t use my 1st rounder on McCarron, but with 3 seconds, it would be stupid to pass up such a physical specimen, especially when the average height of you’re forward prospects is under 6’0

• commandant says:

I’d rather draft a Bickell type in the late 2nd (55th overall) or 3rd or later rounds…. or be forced to overpay 1 million for a guy like Bickell in UFA (as we did for prust)… then draft them in the first round.

Swing for the fences in the first round and get a top line player, because that skilled, top line, goal scorer… he’s gonna force you to overpay even more in Free Agency, or via a trade if you can’t develop your own skilled players via the draft.

High Picks… draft for skill. Fill in your third liners with lower picks or via free agency.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Steeltown Hab says:

no Tristan Jarry?

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• HabFab says:

Apparently 30 of the 56 were at the NHL Combine.
      Adam Erne declined his invite??

• Luke says:

Carter Verhaeghe – I watched a lot of IceDogs. I like this guy… I officially support him for a later round pick.
      Couldn’t give you a scouting report in him, plus others do it so much better around here, but I was never disappointed by his effort.

Price is the starter against the Flyers. Woo!

59. Dunboyne Mike says:

@ Maritime Ron

Thanks for link.

I clicked and only stayed long enough to get off the LeClair page and onto the Home page. No way I’m going back on the meds which that trade necessitated!

• ed says:

after one sluggish NHL season as a rookie, Leclair bounced back with back to back 19 goal seasons as a 23 and 24 year old, and he was a huge contributor in the 1993 Cup run.

he had just the one great scoring season, his last, at the University of Vermont, and almost no time, 8 games, at the AHL level,

by all objective measures, his back to back 19 goals seasons were a terrific breakthrough, and no GM worth his weight in Flannel should have traded him.

his goals against the Kings were dramatic and clutch beyond belief.

what a terrible mistake trading him at 25.

it would be almost, not quite, like trading Pacioretty today.

60. SlimDiggity says:

I think the guy Bergevin and Timmins really want is Horvat, but he’ll be gone by 25 so they’ll settle for the consolation prize of Ryan Hartman. Similar players; Hartman could actually end up being the better pro.

61. B says:

For those who might not have seen this, I found it an interesting read:

–Go Habs Go!–

62. Maritime Ron says:

@ Un Canadien errant-re your post on the last thread about “kicking Carey Price to the curb” and ” In any sane company, an employee like that is trained, supported, given what he needs to succeed. You don’t turf an employee like that and just get another to fill the role. We’re not running a fast-food joint
    ——————————–

Your points are well taken, yet there may be another way to look at it.

Allow me to qualify this as one who has turned the page on the past 6 years of Price performance/learning curve, yet one who also believes he needs to stand up in the next 2 years…and become a man.

Perhaps some may feel that Carey has been “trained and supported” enough in the past 6 years.
    Perhaps if he was paid as a mediocre goaltender there would be more patience, yet next year his Cap Hit will be 3rd highest in the entire NHL for goaltenders as it was this year

In this hockey era, and certainly next year where Cap dollars are precious – and if ‘mediocre’ is all we get for $6.5M, then maybe a $3M goalie would suffice.
    Some may also feel that extra $3M could be spent towards some other glaring needs.

Can Carey bounce back?
    As much as I hope so, no one really knows…and as Francois Allaire mentioned 2 days ago, Price was technically flawed at the end of the year – we all saw that!
    Can a new goalie coach work?
    Something about ‘leading a horse to water’ comes to mind.

• New says:

Yep, Allaire is right. Then if you remember the first week, two weeks of the season, Price was so technically sound that people outside Montreal were talking Olympic Team, All Star, Vezina. How come? Could it be that for the 4 months prior the team and it’s coaches were not allowed to tell him what to do? That he had to practice with juniors out West without coaching? Then the coaches got at him, culminating in this bit about breaking new pads in during the game.

I’m not surprised the goalie coach is gone.

• bwoar says:

The only serious knock on Price to me, right now, is that salary. I think 6.5M is the absolute max you can spend on goaltending TOTAL, and even that is only in exceptional circumstances when you have an elite young guy. Price’s contract was a major blunder no matter how well he plays, and reflects on the desperation of the franchise after having been goalie-rich for too long.

But then, it’s not like giving 3.9M a year for the next millenium to an undersized 3rd-pairing shot blocker who absolutely adores the microphone.

“thoroughbred”

Thanks for the link to hockey reference website. I had forgotten all about that site. CHeers Ron.

• Un Canadien errant says:

You and I are on the same page Ron. Carey Price needs to be better, at his wage scale, we all know that, including him.

The thing is, we’re married, we got to ride out this rough bit. It’s not like we can kick him to the curb and go to the bar and find a Henrik Lundquist. With guaranteed contracts and the salary cap, that’s not possible. Our best bet is to stick with him through this rough patch to brighter days ahead.

• H.Upmann says:

Mr. Turn and Burn! we could definately use some of that Erik Cole stuff since he was shipped out. His strides toward the net were some of the few positives out of that wretched 11-12 season

• ed says:

ya. I think Carrier could be better as an NHL player than he was even in Junior.

His straight ahead game is perfect for the NHL.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

My mouth is still hanging open over how those 11-12 highlight drives never materialised in 2013. And then the trade. Terrible, terrible pity.

63. Whatever says:

I’m just throwing this out there. Would it possibly be better to acquire quebecois players via trade or UFA, when they are older, more mature and experienced in order to deal with the immense pressures of this market? Especially a first round pick.

• bwoar says:

I think you get guys when you can. In trade, you give up assets. With UFAs, you tend of overpay. There’s absolutely no sense in using a different strategy to acquire any kind of player based on their place of birth. Either you can play hockey in a big market, or you can’t.

As far as dealing with Quebec-born players in general, far less energy needs to be put into grabbing these guys for the sake of their ‘nationality’. It’s a loser mentality. Drafting Louis Leblanc when they did was something of a gamble but viewed as necessary by the brass. We’ll see if it pays off (however I think the kid *will* break out, personally).

“thoroughbred”

• ed says:

louis was a terrific centreman as a young man, and I thought that’s where he would play.

he has not impressed me nearly as much as a winger.

• bwoar says:

Ever since that turn on the wing at the WJC, he’s been stuck there. Kinda too bad, but, given the young depth at C on the team, probably for the best. We could use his help at RW next year if he can show something in camp.

“thoroughbred”

• veryhabby says:

I don’t think the issue is drafting one in first round. LL is level headed and he was a 1st rounder. Most of our head cases were actually drafted later, but when they came on the team they were top 6 material so it got to a few of their heads. I think any prospect can be immature no matter where they are drafted…1st round or 6th round. And I think any prospect can be mature no matter where drafted or if from Quebec or another place. It’s the player, not where he’s from or where drafted.

So if best player available is a kid from Quebec then you pick him.

• bwoar says:

Bang on, I agree 100% with this.

• Fransaskois says:

Might not be a bad idea to let them spend more time developing away from Montreal or in the AHL (Detroit development strategy) than just tossing them into the fire. I’m not sure we’ve had a well-developed (NCAA-CHL-AHL-NHL) Quebecois prospect in the past 5-10 years. Maybe Louis but that’s still a little fresh to decide. Am I wrong in believing this?

• Dunboyne Mike says:

“It’s the player, not where he’s from or where drafted.”

Totally agree. Would add: and how the team handles him.

Do other teams have pre draft combines like this? If so do they get this kind of turnout?

65. Un Canadien errant says:

The article on the combine from the Canadiens’ website.

Still no list of attendees.

• Luke says:

Perhaps I am giving them too much credit; but could they be trying to containe the list attendees on the down-low so other teams have to work a little harder to determine who some of these potential ‘diamonds in the rough’ are?

66. Is Marc-Andre Fleury days in Pittsburgh over at seasons end?

67. Un Canadien errant says:

RDS on Frédérik Gauthier, William Carrier, Laurent Dauphin, Adam Erne, Émile Poirier, Samuel Morin and Jonathan Diaby.

The great news is that all these prospects have had contact with the Canadiens’ organization, and speak in positive terms of this approach. This is far better than the Bob Gainey régime, when the Canadiens, astoundingly, didn’t have a dedicated LHJMQ scout on staff.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

As I was saying before failing to notice the new thread (as always):

Is drivée a real French word?!

I can still hear Monsieur Maheu shouting “Anglicisme!” at me for wishing him a “bon weekend” (on purpose).

My thoughts on Price and the coach change are the same as yours, btw.

• ed says:

I know Carrier well. He is quite the competitor.

• Un Canadien errant says:

That’s good enough for me.

Fingers crossed, ed, fingers crossed…

• Rad says:

Your thoughts on his skating ed? I’ve read a few reports that his stride is awkward and not particularly fast.

• ed says:

he’s a strong and determined skater. he is not lighting fast because he’s a big young man, well over 200 lbs, and he is certainly going to play in the NHL over 200 – and not lose anything from his game.

his father is built like a beast – and that’s Will in a few years time.

think of him as a true power forward; straight lines; direct to the puck, direct to the net;

excellent hands.

once he gets into the scoring area, a great finisher.

He has the skills of a top 6 forward, but he can play 3rd line and bang while he is developing.

he will start off on the wing, left wing, at the NHL level.

Tough young man.

I would take him on my team absolutely.

68. Un Canadien errant says:

Good writeup from Marc Antoine Godin of La Presse on Anthony Mantha, Frédéric Gauthier and Samuel Morin.

69. Maksimir says:

Be great to see them swing a deal to grab Horvat… he’d look good with Gally on the wing.

70. Luke says:

. whooooops

71. arcosenate says:

Encouraging words from Craig Button regarding the Habs in the upcoming draft (taken from todays live conversation at TSN):

Craig Button: To my mind, I think the 25, 34, and 36 picks are all 1st round picks. This is a deep draft & I think the Habs will get real quality with those current selections. I think you always explore what the price would be to trade up but you have to balance it with the quality of player you are targeting with what type of quality you can get at those picks. They may be able to work the other way and move a little back from those selections and get more picks based on teams behind them willing to pay. Bottom line is that MAarc Bergevin has options, very good options and that is where you want to be on draft day.

72. Habilis says:

Question for anyone in the know:

Is there any chance that Freddy Gauthier is still available when we pick at #25? Or is our only shot of landing him to trade for a higher pick?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

• Habfan17 says:

Hard to say, I have seen him ranked at 30th and at 20. Central scouting ranks North American skaters seperate from European skaters so when you dd them together, depending on who is doing the ranking, I have seem him as high as 15th

Habfan17

• Stevie.Ray says:

Most rankings have him in the 20-30 range, some have him a little higher, but I think he may not go until late 1st early second. He’s a really good player but he projects to be a second line center tops. He is more of a defensive forward.

I say swing for the fences with that first pick. Look for that potential top line scorer.

• Rad says:

I think it is quite likely that Gauthier will be available at 25. However, I’m not a big fan of his at this point. He is soft for a big man, and more of a defensive forward. We have Brady Vail coming up who will fill the role of a 3rd or 4th line Center in the future.
      Edit: I prefer the 6’5″ Russian bruiser, Bogdan Yakimov, also a defensive center who plays tough and can probably be had lower in the draft, perhaps the 3rd Round.