Habs getting better every game, coach Therrien says

The Canadiens held an optional morning skate in Brossard before Game 4 of their Eastern Conference semifinal series against the Boston Bruins Thursday night at the Bell Centre (7:30 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Seven players decided to skip the skate: Max Pacioretty, Brian Gionta, Brendan Gallagher, Dale Weise, Lars Eller, P.K. Subban and goalie Carey Price.

The Canadiens have a 6-1 record in the postseason and coach Michel Therrien told reporters after practice his team continues to improve.

“As a series progresses, the more intense and physical games become,” he said. “But we’ve been getting better every game.”

The Bruins announced Thursday morning they have recalled forward Matt Fraser from the Providence Bruins and assigned Justin Florek to their AHL minor-league team. Fraser was on the fourth line at the Bruins’ morning skate with Matt Fraser and Shawn Thornton.

Here’s how the Bruins’ lines looked at their morning skate with Carl Soderberg taking the option not to skate:

Lucic-Bergeron-Eriksson
Paille-Krejci-Smith
Marchand-Campbell-Iginla
Fraser-Caron-Thornton

The Canadiens announced on Thursday that they have signed defenceman Greg Pateryn to a two-year contract extension. In 68 games with the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs this season, Pateryn had 15-19-34 totals and 67 penalty minutes.

Meanwhile, 6-year-old Tristan Passarelli might be able to give Ginette Reno a run for her money when it comes to singing the national anthem. Check out the video below:

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

Game 4 Preview, NHL.com

Game Notes

Game Day Report, Canadiens.com

Five keys to Game 4, Canadiens.com

Griping intensifies ahead of Game 4, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Subban is a star for our time, by Jack Todd for The Gazette

Bruins paying for power-play struggles, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Julien promises Bruins will be better in Game 4, by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell

Gallagher’s impact on Habs far exceeds his size, NHL.com

Humble Weise gets rock-star treatment, montrealgazette.com

P.K. Subban is killing the Bruins, Boston Globe

Bruins first line stuck in gear, Boston Herald

Hab at heart: Ginette Reno, Canadiens.com

Dick Irvin receives his Order of Canada, Stu on Sports blog

1. Storman says:

Probably will hear more of this news story in coming days..

Jerome Charlebois, son of famous singer Robert Charlebois, received a $160 ticket Tuesday for honking his car’s horn.

Charlebois was not at the game on Tuesday but drove downtown and was near the Bell Centre when he encountered a crowd of fans streaming out of the hockey arena.

Joining in the celebrations Charlebois honked his horn while on Rene Levesque Blvd., and says he was promptly pulled over by an officer and handed a ticket: $160 for disturbing the peace.

Charlebois told the Journal de Montreal the officer did not even ask for his license, but seemed to have a stack of fines in hand, ready to be distributed to offenders.

He plans to contest the ticket.

Read more: http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/habs-fan-upset-with-160-ticket-for-honking-to-celebrate-win-1.1812381#ixzz319bep9Oj

• Un Canadien errant says:

I know that entitled trust fund kid from his days living out here. Couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy. And I’d never believe a word he says.

2. Mattyleg says:

Just a note on the Rangers:
    They look terrible.
    There is obviously no chemistry in that locker-room, as it looks like a Russian junior team: every man for himself.
    Each break I saw last night by the Blueshirts turned into a 1-on-3 as the attacker tried to deke both defencemen and the backchecking forward.

No passing, no communication.

Brutal. They’re finished.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

3. HankHardball says:

Habs have been playing better with each game. Could today be the day they dominate the Bruins?

A home dog is a strong pick. I like our chances.

4. Max says:

A great deal of hab’s fans seem to have a Ryan McDonut obsession.As you said,he wasn’t, isn’t and probably will never be a hab.Ranger slime all the way.Let’s focus on our own players.

5. PeterD says:

Still a lot of talk on this site about Ryan McDonagh…
    OMG folks just get over it and move on…the guy was nothing more than a draft pick when he was traded…never signed with the Habs, never played in the Habs system…so it could be argued that he was NEVER a Hab and at a stretch was only an unproven prospect at the time of the trade.
    Sure he is becoming a solid very good Defenseman inthe NHL…but so what. Time keeps moving on. We will never have this guy in the organisation unless there is a huge trade made.
    So let’s all just let it go and move on from the past.
    The Habs team in place today is what it is and the Habs team being built into the future DOES NOT include Ryan McDonagh.

• habs-fan-84 says:

Thank you.

• Mattyleg says:

Boy, did he look bad last night.
      Hope he’s injured, because if not…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Hstands4Hockey says:

McDonagh is a very good defenseman who has been over-hyped as a great defenseman by all the Leafs homers on TSN and CBC who want to put down the Habs by showing they made a bad trade. Of course it was a bad trade, but what team doesn’t make them?

It could have been much worse – our other 2 picks that draft year were PK Subban and Max Pacioretty. For the record Pacioretty was acquired in the Greg Rivet trade via a draft pick. You don’t see all the Leafs donkeys talking about that though do you?

——————————————————————–
      Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
      @Hstands4Hockey

6. Un Canadien errant says:

So, what’s the strategy? Watch the game, and the NFL Draft later on PVR, or vice-versa?

My main concern is spoilers, if I watch one will there be spoilers of the other to ruin my enjoyment.

• Habcouver says:

Gotta watch game, UCE!

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Whatever happens. Don’t draft Manziel. Full of problems and won’t hold up in the NFL

• mark-ID says:

UCE, is that even a question? you have to go with a playoff game over a draft. Watching a game while it has already been played is never the same either.

• Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

How do you not watch the game ? :roll:

• D Man says:

UCE, you’re joking, right?

You can’t be both a Habs and a Leafs fan

• Cal says:

Wow, a choice between a Hab playoff game and watching a bunch of guys in suits sitting around and talking? Tough choice. Not! ;)

• Colombiahabs says:

you call yourself a Habs fan??? I wouldn’t miss Habs vs Bruins in the playoffs for the birth of my first born child, let alone a boring draft show. Just look at the list of who was drafted, done and move on.

You should be banned from the site!!

• Un Canadien errant says:

So it’s unanimous, I’m a weenie for even asking the question. Fine.

You guys don’t understand how much I love the NFL and NHL draft. S much fun.

As I’ve said, I’d rather be able to watch both, without spoilers. Give my PVR a workout.

My normal inclination is to watch the Canadiens game first, obviously, and not only because it’ll start first. I also know that the ESPN feed will go through TSN, and they’ll have the game’s score on their crawl, and they’ll do frequent SportsCentre updates during commercials.

Yet RDS is also airing the draft on RDS 2, so I’m afraid they’ll blurt out some picks once in a while, Pierre Houde is an NFL fan.

7. mdp2011 says:

Oh man, Leafs fans on twitter are killing me.

Down Goes Brown ‏@DownGoesBrown 45s
    Honest to god, if you’re still young, or you recently became a Leafs fan and aren’t too attached yet: consider getting out now.
    I’m too old. I’m stuck here for life. You don’t have to be. You don’t need to do this to yourself.
    Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

8. Luke says:

(Non-sequitor):

Man, EmmyLou Harris can sing.

9. Maritime Ronn says:

Some Questions for all you lucky folks living in Montreal… at this specific Spring moment:

1) What’s the Atmosphere/Buzz/Spirit like in the great City?
    2) Do cars sport Habs Flags? What percentage?
    3) Are streets quiet/ bars full during game time, and what’s it like?
    4) Does Habs talk (not politics) dominate conversations now?

10. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

Calm before the storm?
    It’s very quiet everywhere I been today.

So no changes in the lineup it seems.
    Wouldn’t mind swapping Briere for Prust tonight.
    Ps. or even White.
    Go Habs GO!!!

11. Luke says:

Extend Carlyle (+2 years)?

I expected retain, not extend. Oh happy day!

12. CAPSLOCK DAN says:

UMM, GUYSS, ONE OF MY POSTS DISAPPEARED……

AM I GONNA GET “VAPORIZED” (a la 1984)?

13. shiram says:

James MirtleVerified account ‏@mirtle

Leafs have extended Randy Carlyle’s contract by two years.

14. Say Ash says:

Tonight, we put the stranglehold on the Starley Cup Champians!

15. Storman says:

JERSEY Guarantee–I approve this big time,,I would think many family’s especially those with sports loving children will approve this decision and hope many teams and leagues follow suit.

The New England Patriots will become the first NFL franchise to offer rebates to anyone who buys a jersey of a player who is no longer under contract to the team within a year of the purchase.

16. habsfan0 says:

Two things I’m fairly confident will happen tonight:
    1) Habs win,grabbing a 3-1 stranglehold on the series.
    2) Buffalo Bills completely screw up their 1st round draft pick.

17. Un Canadien errant says:

***My rebuttal to a Terry O’Reilly homage comes in the form of a re-post from 2011.***

Un Canadien errantOCTOBER 29, 2011 AT 8:24 AM
    I’m in total agreement with Mike Boone’s comments regarding the Bruins fans invading Montreal.

I attended a game at the Forum in the early 80′s against Boston, and we had a couple of their pathetic fans in our blue skyboxes, otherwise known as the rafters. They both had O’Reilly jerseys on and didn’t seem to follow the puck or play, they would just wait and cheer when one of their orcs, wearing jerseys as black as their hearts, would charge one of our pure Blanc samurais. There was lots of swearing and shrillness, which was off-putting since there were families and older ladies in the area. I was there with some buddies I played rugby with, we made eye contact with them a couple of times, and they averted their jaundiced eyes and tried to behave as much as their inebriation would allow.

In the middle of the second they were down by four or five goals already, when Terry O’Reilly jumped over the boards, an action they cheered as if he were the Second Coming of Milt Schmidt. “Hunt, Terry, HUNT!!”, they bellowed, which he assuredly did, skating awkwardly in a zigzag pattern, reliably indicating the direction and area the puck was not going to by his trajectory. The fans continued their encouragement, and oinked and snarled (!) Sure enough, he finally caught up to Mike McPhee or Dave Maley, I can’t really remember, and went at him with a huge highstick and elbows high. After the scrum was separated, he put us on the powerplay long enough that we potted a couple of goals and put the game away completely. Yet our two drunken buffoons were overjoyed by O’Reilly’s charge, they didn’t see it as a poor play by an even worse player, they saw it as a cause for celebration, even as the goals against mounted.

I haven’t seen the Bruins play since. I heard some comments that the Vancouver crowd gave the Bruins fans a hard time during the finals and may have gone over the line, but I remember how a couple of Boston losers had tarnished a whole section’s experience a couple decades back, and I thought to myself that maybe the Vancouver fans were staking their territory and trying to not give those idiots an inch.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• Sportfan says:

Was the Manoir the other night and 8 of us are Habs fans and one of my friends was a Bruins fan. She stayed quiet until the third period and said lets watch another comeback.
      She was still polite and kind during the third period until Vanek hit the cross bar and we all thought he scored, we a cheering and jumping up and down and she says Sit the EFF down you idiots, which I laughed so hard because she couldn’t hold it in anymore. Then we won shook hands and that was that. Either way she still had a bit of Bruins rage at one point of the game. It was funny.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• habs-fan-84 says:

LOL comparing Bruins players to Orcs; absolutely priceless!

18. Sportfan says:

Will the Bruins play Gooins style hockey

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

19. Blouin says:

One thing I’ve really enjoyed is the secondary and tertiary scoring in both rounds. It’s got to be great to be MT and MB and see the plans come together. No clearer than went Weise scored off a feed from Briere and Weaver… all three of whom were acquisitions between last playoffs and now.

20. sweetmad says:

Just reading other threads,still going on about PK and it should have been a penalty shot,totally irrelevent,Carey would have stopped it anyway, there is no way Cp would have let them score on a penalty shot.
    GO HABS GO ALL THE WAY

21. DipsyDoodler says:

Ryan McDonagh (NYR).

11 games played.

0 goals, 1 assist, -5.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

22. shiram says:

Bob McKenzieVerified account ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

As @DarrenDreger reported, Randy Carlyle is back as head coach in TOR. But some of his assistant coaches will not be returning.

23. Butterface says:

Stop saying “Must Win”… every playoff game is a “Must Win”…. there is no game, especially against the Bruins or Kings, that isn’t a must win.

Tonight the Bruins will be gunning for it. They will throw the Kitchen sink. It will be a very hard game to win.

If the Bruins go down by 2 goals…look for running our goalie, picking fights, stick work and general goonery.

It will be a $ l-l ! T show.

***********************
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
    ***********************

24. shiram says:

Pateryn gets a Tokarski deal, his first year is 2-way, the second, one way.

And a happy birthday to Lars Eller, turning 25 today.

25. Chris says:

Since a topic du jour has been commentating in hockey games, I have to get this rant off my chest.

I hate the coverage of Marchand’s dirty play on CBC. They should be calling it out, not effectively giving him credit for continually breaking the rules without getting caught.

Last night, I watched Game 4 of the OHL Finals. The colour commentator for the game was absolutely killing me (I believe it was Greg Theberge). On quite a few occasions, he was all but begging the North Bay players to “send a message” to the Guelph players in the blowout loss (Guelph won 10-1). On one of the last Guelph goals, Jason Dickinson scored on a partial breakaway. After he shot and the puck had gone in, North Bay forward Kyle Locke gave him a cross-check that sent him flying into the end boards as he was starting to celebrate. This dangerous and unnecessary play was lauded by the commentator as a good, punishing check that will help wear the Storm players down for Game 5.

Junior hockey has always had a violent underbelly. The OHL has some funny mixed signals: they have started punishing violent transgressions quite severely, but they still have announcers that are disappointed when there isn’t more carnage.

A punishing check should be a good, clean bodycheck. It should not be used to label a hit where a guy is shoved face-first into the boards or a head-hunting blind-side hit, yet this is par for the course in junior hockey.

• habs-fan-84 says:

I don’t have kids (yet), but I agree Chris. I can’t imagine watching some of the games with my kids, and having Glen Healy and Craig Simpson practically celebrating Marchand’s ability to get away with his dirty play.

No doubt there’s kids watching and listening to the broadcasts, who must think it’s OK to play the game like that. It’s very disappointing.

• frontenac1 says:

Karma will take care of The Rat eventually amigo.

• Maritime Ronn says:

The Rat slashed Subban on his right hand/wrist.
        My Over/Under was 22 seconds, but it took The Rat all of 32 minutes to do it
        Look for more of that tonight.
        They know – they want him out.

Front, One day that rat will end up in ER.
        Like you say – Karma

• Un Canadien errant says:

The thing is front, it doesn’t need to be karma that takes care of him. This isn’t an intractable problem that we’re powerless to fix, like the mountain pine beetle infestation or overfishing, this one’s easy. Call him for every cheap penalty he commits. If the refs miss it during the game, punish him (and every other transgressors) based on the video evidence after the fact.

Brad Marchand could be a really good, respected hockey player, if the rules enjoined him to not be a douchebag.

• D Mex says:

@ Chris
      I’m no fan of the morons on CBC (quite happy to listen to Friedman and Hrudey, tho) but am sure I heard Healy doing a semi-sarcastic rant about Marchand’s BS in the last game.
      As I recall, they put together a short clip of the stick work and other pseudo tough-guy nonsense, and Healy provided the voice over.

In posting this, I am reminding myself that I’ve actually tuned in to the CBC broadcasts for most of the past few games – not sure why as I really do enjoy the play-by-play on RDS … maybe it’s because I find Brunet ‘ at al ‘ a bit hard to take during the intermissions.

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

• Un Canadien errant says:

I watch RDS games on PVR, and I have to admit that I’m liberal with the Fast Forward during the intermissions. I’ll stop for François Gagnon, and the ‘Radar’ segment where they update the other games in progress, but if it’s Mario Tremblay and Benoit Brunet doing the analysis, oy oy oy, mes oreilles.

• Schmarkty says:

What really gets me mad is the Bruins fans calling Gallagher a rat and comparing him to Marchand. They are an entirely different breed. Gallagher does his agitating while the game clock is running and the puck is in play. Marchand does his agitating between whistles and while people have their back to him.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Totally agree. It’s lazy journalism, because both are undersized, they get compared. Brendan ‘gets under your skin’, as they love to proclaim, because he plays hard and non-stop, and hangs around the crease. Brad Marchand does so by being a dangerous, dirty cheapshot artist. It’s like comparing Jack Edwards with René Lecavalier since they both do play-by-play.

26. Garbo says:

I love it. The Bruins who have been praised for the past two years for their ability to consistently roll four lines have now juggled every single one of them. Smells of desperation to me.

How the tides have turned!

Habs in 5.

27. Maritime Ronn says:

Can The Habs now win this series?

Absolutely – and quicker than the supposed 7 games of the ‘Expert’ opinions that had the Habs missing the playoffs this year (Again)…or losing in 4-5 games against the Lightning/Bruins this year.

In playoff hockey, there is NOWHERE to hide when playing a team over and over again.

The Weakest Link – sooner or later, will always be EXPOSED, and a good coaching staff will exploit that.

No doubt the Bruins are a very good, regular season President’s Cup team, yet their possible weak link is beginning to get exposed.

The belief from here before the series started, was that the Bruins ‘Bottom 4 Dmen’ were very vulnerable.
    …and if somehow the Habs could challenge in the neutral zone and pressure those 4 Dmen when Chara wasn’t on the ice for 35 minutes, there was a chance to steal the series.

Krug, Hamilton, and some combo of Bartkowski-Millar-Meszaros were given many accolades during the season, yet a lot of that had to do with an excellent Bruins ‘Group of 12′ forwards and the system/familiarity.
    Adding to that, was a .930 SP/2.04 GAA Vezina Goalie nominee cleaning up, and ‘camouflaging’ several defensive zone errors.

Due to injury or moving on via UFA, the Bruins are starting to dearly miss the veteran experience/No Panic of Seidenberg and Ference ( McQUaid to a lesser degree)
    It’s clear for all to see when the Bruins bottom 4 panic and start running around in the D zone with any little pressure.

During last year’s playoffs, Seidenberg was the #2 minutes man for the Bruins Dmen and also played 1st Unit PK.
    Ference was the #3 minutes man and played 2nd Unit PK.

Yes, Dougie and Torey (Mouthy Shoot High) are offensive threats, yet that was because of how the Bruins dominated the neutral zone, and played a lot of hockey in the O zone during the regular season.
    The very responsible forwards (Bergeron) covered for their glaring bad decisions and defensive miscues.

That’s how the Habs can win this.

• bwoar says:

The key for us to for our forwards to battle through the defensive work their forwards do. We get a dump-in, it goes out. We get a chance, it goes out. We have a major problem getting setup in the zone. We have a hard time even getting it there without dumping. When we cross the blueline and stop it comes out quickly.

Boston, on the other hand, is feasting on the constant turnovers our team gives up when trying to chip the puck out of the zone. They regularly get sustained pressure on turnover after turnover. If our D can tighten that up, it will spring the forwards that much better, and give them a better change to take the game to the Boston D, against whom we match advantageously, included against Chara.

28. barbu says:

Stoked for a big game tonight and a gutsy performance from Les Boys.
    Also want to share the cool art I found here:

\____________________________/
    …beards, bees, bbqs…

29. Luke says:

Oh My, Tension is building. Nerves? We’ll they’re a’rattlin’. I’m practically freaking out here. (Though it could be blamed in part on the copious amount of coffee I’ve had).

It is a time like this I envy Leafs fans… to a degree. Just being about to sit back and watch the playoff hockey. No stress. No worry. just pure enjoyment and the hope for an entertaining game.
    Mind you, I wouldn’t trade spots with them at all.

5 long hours to go! (3 hours until pre-game bevvies) This is going to be a loooooong afternoon.

:D

30. Un Canadien errant says:

I don’t know how much this has been discussed on here, having not kept up with the posts over the last couple days, but it’s really annoying me and feeding my inferiority/persecution complex as a Hab fan how the Canadiens-Bruins series is being covered, dissected and analyzed. Specifically, since the Saturday game, all the ‘controversy’ that the talking heads have been focused on is P.K. Subban knocking the net off its moorings. That’s the big issue.

I understand the technical question. P.K. did unquestionably knock the net off. If the refs called every infraction by the book, it should have been a penalty, or rather in this case a penalty shot. Yet with the tolerance level the officials have shown, it shouldn’t be a gigantic surprise that this was overlooked. The penalty was written into the rulebook to prevent defenders, caught in a mad scramble around their net or trying to play an odd-man rush, from blatantly going right at their own net and pushing it off its moorings to get a stoppage in play. This was nowhere near the case in this instance, the puck being behind the net and P.K. being in a good position to retrieve it first. There was no clear and imminent danger of the puck being pinballed into the net.

Further, if P.K. did knock the net off, intentionally and strategically, he should be up for an Oscar nomination. His actions are all legitimate in terms of hockey. He spots the puck behind the net, decides to go to the left of the net, tries to bank around the post on his one skate, and knocks the net off by brushing it with his shoulder while reaching for the puck. The whole time, his eyes are trained on the puck, not the crossbar. In similar instances, you usually see a Chris Phillips or a Barrett Jackman turn his back to the play, grab the crossbar and lift and push. Then act as if nothing happened. P.K. was playing hockey, making the proverbial ‘hockey play’ when he knocked off the net.

Meanwhile, Milan Lucic again was caught spearing Alexei Emelin, for the second time in a month, and a couple weeks after the egregious infraction against Danny DeKeyser. Barely a peep is heard about that. Dave Hodge brings it up with Darren Dreger on the “TSN Drive” radio show, and the latter just chuckles and dismisses it as an inconsequential spear. Of course, this latitude does not exist in the rule book.

Rule 62 – Spearing
    62.1 Spearing – Spearing shall mean stabbing an opponent with the point of the stick blade, whether contact is made or not.
    62.2 Double-minor Penalty – A double-minor penalty will be imposed on a player who spears an opponent and does not make contact.
    62.3 Major Penalty – A major penalty shall be imposed on a player who spears an opponent (see 62.5).
    62.4 Match Penalty – A match penalty shall be imposed on a player who injures an opponent as a result of a spear.
    62.5 Game Misconduct Penalty – Whenever a major penalty is assessed for spearing, a game misconduct penalty must also be imposed.
    62.6 Fines and Suspensions – There are no specified fines or suspensions for spearing, however, supplementary discipline can be applied by the Commissioner at his discretion (refer to Rule 28).

For even novice hockey fans, it is obvious based on a cursory reading that Milan Lucic should have received a major penalty for his cheap, undisciplined spearing of Alexei Emelin. If the refs missed it, the NHL ‘Department of Player Safety’ (and by now it really needs to be put in quotes, since Alexei Emelin is definitely not being safeguarded by the NHL) should have reviewed the play and taken further action.

That this hasn’t been the focal point of the analysts on the various shows covering the playoffs is further proof that the old boys club is alive and well. There are oodles of former Bruins on HNIC, on TSN and Sportsnet, or “gritty, energy” types who are out to justify their previous career. The NHL press corps is so inured to violence and lawlessness, they’re like fish who can’t tell that they’re wet. They’re drawn to a P.K. story like moths to a flame, but continue to give reprobate Milan Lucic and his cohort and indulgent benefit of the doubt.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• bwoar says:

Maybe tune out the media a bit; like coffee and cocaine, too much is detrimental.

PK knows how to loosen the net without getting caught, good for him.

So, will it be Budaj on Saturday? Because he’s overdue.

• TPT Petes says:

Could not agree more. You are bang on. It’s the cheap, behind the ref’s back type of dirty plays that guys like marchand and Lucic seem to get away with that puts an ugly stain on our game. I won’t say that I want fighting banned from hockey though(yet). I still have an admiration for a player who will say enough is enough, drop the gloves and just throw em’. Lucic is not man enough for that.

• Schmarkty says:

Out of curiosity, are there any recent examples the net being knocked off and a penalty shot being awarded or not? Are there any examples of it all? It would be interesting to see for some perspective and precedent. I can’t say I’ve ever seen or heard of it.

31. J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Habs announce a signing.

Greg Pateryn signed for two-year extension.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• Un Canadien errant says:

Good news.

• bwoar says:

Nice, that’s a good sign for him.

• Chris says:

I think he gets a long look next season. I don’t foresee Weaver, Bouillon or Murray returning, so a right-shooting defenceman is a priority. He has certainly paid his dues, and he’s the style of defenceman that is needed.

I’m less certain that both of Tinordi and Beaulieu will be with the big club next season. It will be interesting to see if the Habs make any deals this summer, because I can easily see one of those two guys being a significant piece of a multi-player deal, particularly if Vanek departs via free agency.

• bwoar says:

I concur with your last statement entirely. I think that MB with either sign Vanek or attempt a deal to get a #1 winger. The proof is on the ice for the last 25 games: we have a good group here with that kind of piece in place.

32. Sportfan says:

The poll is a tough one, they have all been great, but Weaver has shocked us all!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

33. HUDSONHAB says:

Haven’t been on here since he got fired. Has there been any talk of Muller replacing MT? Haha!

34. habstrinifan says:

The “Savardian Spinorama was WAY tighter (read better) than mine”… a pupil paying homage to the master.

I LOVED the Savardian Spinorama….. especially against the “O’Reilly Onslaught”.

• Habfan10912 says:

A thing of beauty. There is always something to be said for pioneers, eh. The Harvey’s, Orr’s, Savard’s and Robinson’s of the world always seem to do it the best. Wonderful trip down memory lane. Thanks Trini.

35. TorontoHabsFan says:

If we’re talking unsung heroes (and both Weaver and Weise absolutely are), then maybe we can spare a moment and appreciate just how useful Bournival has been – the boy’s a Player.

We fleeced Colorado on that’n.

36. HUDSONHAB says:

I see no reason why the Habs shouldn’t win tonight.
    Go Habs Go!!!

37. Habcouver says:

IF the Habs are to go up 3-1 in the series, I then hope Bob Cole calls the game. Bob spoke as if the Rangers were eliminated yesterday… I had to check the TV screen again that that the series was 2-1 Pens, not 3-1.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• Say Ash says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Cole forgot the Rangers won Game 1.

Shot…

Score!

• Habcouver says:

He’s a piece of work. He was once a competent broadcaster, and I do feel bad for the way he’s slowing down.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
        Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• Say Ash says:

Actually, I don’t mind him, and Galley is constantly saving him. But we’re winning with Hughson (excuse me while I throw up in my mouth) – so don’t change a thing!

• TPT Petes says:

If Cole had been calling game 3, Vanek’s slap pass to Plekanec would sound like this…. He shoots….. he misses the net by a mile… he scores….boy… did Montreal get lucky there…

• Un Canadien errant says:

Listening to some analysis of the Penguins and Rangers series, one talking head (I forget who) blithely mentioned that the Bruins might have trouble with the Pens, speaking of a Bruins series win as a foregone conclusion. And this is with the Canadiens holding a 2-1 lead.

38. EOTP has an Oscar-worthy highlight reel of Bruins diving and diving and diving.

Bruins have figured out that even if they get called for diving, the other guy usually goes too with an off-setting minor. So even if you get caught being a lying idiot, worst case is 4-on-4. If you’re lacking integrity, you’d be crazy not to practice your pirouettes.

Devils coach Jacques Lemaire on the Daneyko-Kaminski feud – “Daneyko got mad when Kaminski said he was going to knock his teeth out. Dano has only two teeth left, so you can’t say that to Dano.”

• Habcouver says:

Embellishment is an artwork these days.
      I hate watching it in soccer… should not be tolerated in hockey.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• Rugger says:

Greatest moment in sports broadcasting (for me at least), watching South Africa vs Australia in a Rugby Match. A South African barely brushed by an Aussie chasing down a kick, the Aussie fell to the ground and the announcer yelled “Get up Footballer!”

• frontenac1 says:

Any player charged with diving should be forced to square off at Centre Ice with the other team”s Enforcer. Justice rendered in an efficient and entertaining way. Habs in 6.Saludos!

39. Maritime Ronn says:

Chris says: Re Drug or PED use:

There are ample examples of it, including in Montreal. I can’t think of very many players, other than Grant Fuhr, that were actually caught by the NHL’s drug testing.

Overall, I think the NHL’s testing is a joke. I am 100% sure that there is rampant PED abuse in the NHL (it is ludicrous to believe that hockey is the only endurance/cardio sport where it doesn’t happen), but nobody ever gets caught.

————————–
    A joke, Chris?
    100% sure of rampant PED abuse?
    Really?
    Perhaps a review of the new CBA is in order.
    ———————————

Per Article 47 in the CBA, the NHL is required to provide players with a list of prohibited substances.

Each Club is tested team-wide and with no-notice once at random during training camp and once at random during the regular season. While testing, the NHL also tests for drugs of abuse (marijuana, etc….)

Disciplinary Penalties.

(a) Positive tests for performance enhancing substances on the Prohibited Substances.

List will result in mandatory discipline as follows:

(i) for the first positive test, a suspension of twenty (20) NHL Games without pay, and mandatory referral to the SABH Program for evaluation and possible treatment;

(ii) for the second positive test, a suspension of sixty (60) NHL Games without pay, and mandatory referral to the SABH Program for evaluation and possible treatment;

(iii) for the third positive test, a “permanent” suspension, although a Player so suspended can reapply for discretionary reinstatement after a minimum period of two (2) years by making an application to the Program Committee.
    ——————-
    A First suspension is 20 games which equates to slightly less than 25% of a player’s salary.

• Chris says:

The NHL still does not test for HGH, the number one PED for endurance sport. What the hell are they waiting for? We know that HGH abuse has been rampant in cross-country skiing and cycling for 15 years and the testing has improved leaps and bounds.

There was a lot of smoke around the Washington Capitals a few years ago when some individuals were arrested for allegedly supplying Washington area teams with PED’s. MLB, the NFL and the NBA all took it seriously…the NHL basically swept it under the rug.

But the NHL and NHLPA have yet to agree on the testing procedures. I’m sorry, but that makes your drug testing program a joke, when you still aren’t testing for the drug of choice for professional athletes.

I am well aware of the CBA penalties. Were you aware of what is and is not tested? The NHL’s drug testing protocols are widely viewed as the worst of any of the professional sports in North America, and that is saying something given how lax it is in general.

• Maritime Ronn says:

I somehow knew that would get a charge out of you
        :-)

• Chris says:

I just can’t fathom why they are still hesitant to begin testing for HGH. The official word is they want the NHLPA to be “comfortable” with the testing procedures.

I wonder why that might be. :)

• Maritime Ronn says:

Lucic-Thornton-Campbell!

• Chris says:

As much as I despise him, I think Lucic is an honest beast. He is a despicable player, but his work ethic is legendary in junior circles. When he was 17, he was already a man-child. He just had to let his brain catch up to his body.

I think he’s still fighting that fight a bit. :)

40. Chris says:

Detroit must be pretty giddy about their future.

Drafting middle-to-late first round every year, they have once again managed to stockpile an impressive collection of young talent. It has become popular to criticize Detroit’s scouting in recent years because they haven’t turned up a Datsyuk or Zetterberg since the late 1990’s, but few other teams have either.

But looking at their youth movement, I’m impressed.

Joakim Andersson, Brendan Smith, and Luke Glendening are 25. Gustav Nyquist and Danny Dekeyser are 24. Brian Lashoff and Tomas Tatar are 23. Riley Shehan and Tomas Jurco are 22.

And for forward prospects, they have surprising depth, with a quartet of 19 year olds who all had impressive junior years:

Speedster Andreas Athanasiou (66 GP, 49 G, 95 PTS) was outstanding, and is one of the best skaters in the sport. He can give Darren Helm a run for his money.

Power forward Anthony Mantha (57 GP, 57 G, 120 PTS) tore up the QMJHL all season, and his scoring heroics have carried his Val-d’Or Forreurs to a 2-2 tie in the QMJHL Finals.

Future checking-line forward Zach Nastasiuk (62 GP, 23 G, 51 PTS) had a good season for the rebuilding Owen Sound Attack. He is a very strong defensive player with NHL size (6’2″, 196 pounds).

Finally, super-pest Tyler Bertuzzi (29 GP, 10 G, 35 PTS) has endured an injury-filled season but hasn’t missed a beat. His scoring heroics (10 G and 17 PTS in 17 playoff games on the third line) have helped carry his Guelph Storm to the brink of an OHL championship.

Nastasiuk is the only guy on that list who might be a question mark to make the NHL. Mantha is pretty much a lock, and Bertuzzi’s all around game makes him a lock to be at least a very good 4th line player. Athanasiou should make it based on his skating alone, which is beyond elite level, but he’s also got great skill to go with it.

The future is stupidly bright for the Red Wings, although they do need to find some good defence prospects moving forwards. One advantage they have is that they remain a marquee destination for NHL UFA’s, something I don’t quite get given how miserable the climate is in Detroit.

So full credit to them again…I thought they were doomed for a few years, but they have quietly built up an impressive stable of players.

• krob1000 says:

Compare that to guys on Habs n similar age range
      Subban 24 (25 in a few days)
      Tinordi 22
      BEaulieu 21

Eller 25 today
      Galchenyuk 20
      Bournival 21
      Pacioretty is only 25
      Gallagher just turned 22

That is pretty solid in its own right

• Ozmodiar says:

Yup, lots of teams giddy over their prospect pools.

… some of which are already good teams.

Just a few teams that suck now and have below average prospect pools. The Leafs come to mind. :) … and maybe a few other Canadian teams.

• Chris says:

Rob: No question. I’m just impressed that the Red Wings have been doing it drafting where they have. I honestly thought Detroit was in trouble with the age of their core getting up into the 30’s now.

But they successfully worked a lot of youth into their line-up this season, and they have more that can contribute over the next few years. I didn’t mention guys like Martin Frk (21), Xavier Ouellet (21) or Teemu Pulkkinen (22), who are also very good prospects, because I am not quite as sure that they will make it. Pulkkinen had an outstanding season in the AHL (31 goals and 59 points in 71 games) in his first full season in North America.

I also should have mentioned 21 year old defenceman Ryan Sproul, as he is very highly regarded.

Overall, I think the Red Wings prospect pool is a little brighter than that of the Habs, especially with Collberg and Kristo having been dealt.

I like De La Rose, but I don’t see much high-end forward talent in the system that hasn’t already made the jump to the Habs.

• krob1000 says:

You are right there may not be on paper as much left…but surely a few will blossom like those Wings in their mid twenties. The fact the Habs guys are already very solid NHLers IMO means as much though. Also let us not forget MCdonaugh who ws also a HAabs pick. Only Chucky of the entire lot was a high pick….others were also well scouted. I like MOntreal’s core pieces over many teams though…Perrenial Vezina guy in Price, Perrenial Norrin contender in PK and Chucky has potential to be ppg game. Eller …I won;t get intot hat again until after the playofffs lol…but he is once again showing that with quality mates and minutes he is a force. Gallagher is probably on his way to a Gionta lihke career. I would not trade Montreal’s future for Detroits…..Colorado? well ok…but that list for Detroit is not to me somethign I woulld swap for Montreal with so many sure things.

• Chris says:

Detroit’s biggest issue is their defence corps…I think they’ve got an excellent group of forwards. Howard is young enough that he can shoulder the load for a while, but Petr Mrazek has star potential and they can afford to be patient with him.

With Galchenyuk, I need to see him make a big jump. I thought he was going to do it in the second half of this season, but it never really materialized. I’m hoping it was just a mild sophomore slump.

I’m also increasingly wondering if he isn’t more suited to be a winger permanently. He can be a playmaker from the wing, a la Tanguay or St. Louis, which allows the Habs to cover up for his defensive short-comings. I don’t see any rush to move him to centre any time soon, particularly if playoff Eller is closer to the real thing than regular season Eller was.

• Paz says:

Chris, Ouellet is a sure thing. Write it down. He’s outstanding!

Funny but true story.

Ouellet was the first ever pick for the now defunct Montreal Juniors. I was not impressed, and I got a chance to voice that opinion directly to the ownership. He laughed at me. I said I didn’t see it. He said, you will, just watch him for several games.

Ouellet was already up for a few games this year I believe. And 1 playoff game! He’s on the Red Wing short list.

He will start a 10 + year NHL career very shortly.

Frk? Love his talent, he’s a real good offensive weapon. He’s young. Barely 20 I think. But I believe he will becomea real effective scorer at the NHL level. I have a little bit of concern about his character, but that’s not so unique for a kid who was scouted when he was 14 yrs old.

Ouellet 99% sure
          Frk 80% sure

Lets see in a few yrs if I’m right.

• Chris says:

The only knock I’ve heard on Frk is his skating…he doesn’t have NHL speed. He’s going to have to watch some tape of Vanek. :)

I actually share your opinion on Ouellet, but I didn’t want to oversell him. I was VERY impressed with him whenever I’ve seen him play. He’s probably got another year in the AHL before they bring him up, giving him more of a chance to learn to be a quarterback at the professional level before they put him in the NHL.

It is funny how often we are wrong on juniors. I was dumb-founded when the Red Wings drafted Bertuzzi in the second round. I watched him for a couple of seasons in Guelph and I just didn’t see how he could go that high.

Boy, was I wrong. He has grown nicely (he was VERY small when he first came up, but he’d go after anybody in the league), and his skating has improved by leaps and bounds. The edge that he has to his game makes him a pretty sure thing from my point of view: he’s got great hands for his style of player, but he is an irritant on the same level as Brad Marchand, Vernon Fiddler or Maxim Lapierre. Detroit could really use that kind of player in their line-up, and Babcock and the Red Wings organization will probably teach him how to rein it in a little to avoid getting too many penalties.

41. habbytent says:

gamedaygamedaygamedaygameday

wearing my lucky ’93 sweater!

42. crane says:

Take away Gainey’s two biggest blunders,imagine the team we have.The Gomez trade and 11 free agents walk for nothing,just think of the draft picks we missed out on maybe even some from the strong draft of last year.

43. Rad says:

Look at Therrien’s face in that picture: the man is just radiating confidence. The entire team is playing with supreme confidence right now. The Habs have the edge in this series with their speed, disciplined play, opportunistic scoring, and 4 balanced lines. Boston starting to shuffle their lines is a sure sign they are becoming increasingly desperate against a swarming Habs system that’s giving them no room through the neutral zone. Boston will give us their best shot tonight, but I expect the boys to hold the line and pull out the W here in Game 4. We are at home and we have the 2 best players on either team, Subban and Price, playing at the top of their game. I don’t see the Bruins beating the Habs in Montreal in this series.

Desharnais’ line needs to score tonight. Max and DD have 2 goals between them. Brutal for a top line.

45. johnnylarue says:

That Passarelli kid made me spit up my cornflakes.

Also, I’ve always thought of Boston as as 4-line team. Looking at their fourth line from the morning skate today, I’ve come to the startling realization that this is no longer the case.

• Phil C says:

Their defense is suspect as well. Missing Seidenberg leaves a huge hole in their lineup. It’s amazing they did as well as they did with such a young group of defensemen.

46. Say Ash says:

Just noticed Rask was watching the 6-on-5 with an open door – that’s a penalty, no?

47. Say Ash says:

Thanks for the stats, Maritime Ronn, I know we ‘re a considerably deeper team now – especially 5-on-5. You could argue the B’s are better this year, too.

Nonetheless we still have a tough time closing out games.

48. PrimeTime says:

I agree with Julien the B’s will be better tonight which means Habs will need to be even more disciplined with their positioning and and roles, especially in the D zone. I think tonights game will be more like game 1 with the B’s carrying the play and MTL needing to score on fewer chances – hopefully the special teams will continue to be effective. Winner tonight wins the series!

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Hey PrimeTime.
      You could be right. At the same time, the way I read Game 1 was that we played badly (10 days off, away in Boston, whatever) and the Bruins played well. I’m not sure if Boston has another gear they can find, so that the only way Game 4 ends up resembling Game 1 is if we revert to playing badly.
      Ha! Maybe that’s what you’re saying!

49. montreal ace says:

I think the Bruins pull out all stops to win tonight, including the strategy of straight out injuring a Canadien’s player. The suspensions of Cooke and Seabrooke were a joke, the hits they put on guys were series changers

50. TheCanadianDagger says:

Not the worst Habs song out there, set to the Black Keys:

51. Maritime Ronn says:

Luke mentioned:
    I kinda feel bad for CPL a little…
    ———————-
    Not to worry.
    ‘Former’ (for now), Habs National Anthem singer Charles Prevost-Linton has found a side gig singing the Anthem at some place called Taverne Normand on Mount Royal Street in Montreal.

52. Maritime Ronn says:

Say Ash said:
    Man, I still can’t stop thinking about that Game 4 in 2011.
    Up 1-0, up 3-1, up 4-3, and then Ryder.
    ——————————————

hey ash

Have a look at that 2011 Habs playoff roster and performance.

Look at the players:
    – Subban was just an inexperienced young man.
    – Scott Gomez was playing almost 20 minutes.(Minus 6)
    – Mathieu Darche was playing almost 16 minutes
    – When Jeff Halpern played, he had Top 6 minutes in 4 games.
    – Moen was playing 16:33 per game.

– Hal Gill had the 2nd Highest minutes per game for ALL habs Dmen.
    – Sopel and Spacek were the 3rd pair Dmen.

Somehow….The Habs look stronger today.

A look at the final four from last years playoffs, given it is possible history could repeat itself (hoping/counting on Montreal changing that).

The writer (Down goes Brown) reviews the keys to these teams success, interestingly, for most every point he raises for why those four teams are successful, once could say Montreal has also done its best to accomplish the same steps.

54. Habfan10912 says:

Interesting chat about drug usage below. Unfortunately you can’t argue that NHL drug testing is evidence of a “clean” player. Ryan Malone is one example iof its failure. An accusation of drug use against a player is difficult to disprove.

• Luke says:

An accusation of drug use against a player is difficult to disprove.

Yup. That’s why the burden of proof rests with the accuser.

• Chris says:

Hell, 20% of the players in the last poll I saw thought that some of their teammates might be using PED’s. It was an anonymous poll, but still…the fact that 20% broke the “code of silence” is pretty damning.

• Commandant says:

Its not evidence of a clean player… however unconfirmed rumors are no more evidence of a “dirty” player either.

55. naweed235 says:

Good afternoon fellow HIOers… Has anyone here ever watched a game at Chez Serge on St-Laurent? If so, can you give me some insight on how busy I should expect it to get in there? We are planning to go there to watch the game, I’m just worried that there won’t be any place to sit for a larger group if we get there around 5:30… Also, how is the atmosphere?
    Thanks

• DipsyDoodler says:

It will be jam packed. I ran by there during the 1st period and it was SRO.

If it is full there’s a new English style pub around the corner that also shows the games. It’s on St.Viateur and Clark.

Come to think of it every bar in the neighbourhood is showing the game.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• Caesar is along for the ride for 25 says:

packed at 4:30 pm .

• GrosBill says:

As Dipsy said, packed.

Great atmosphere to watch the game. But it is a little small and always so packed.

Get there early!

56. JUST ME says:

This is the «must est» win of the season . After that the Bruins are not beating Carey Price 3 games in a row . And after that the door is soooo opened.

I agree with Therrien that the team is getting better and better in the serie and expect the trend to continue tonight,

Just can`t wait ! Go habs Go !

57. DipsyDoodler says:

I have a bad feeling about tonight.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

58. DipsyDoodler says:

Who does the play by play for the CBC?

I didn’t listen to CBC live but saw the replay of the Subban breakaway – what a call! Pee-Kay-Soo-Ban… Scores!

—–
    Moving. Forward.

• Grabbed The Cup says:

I would only watch CBC if RDS was of the air, but I believe it’s Jim Hughson. It was a great call though.

You leave me little notes on my pillow. Told you 158 times I can’t stand little notes on my pillow. “We’re all out of cornflakes. F.U.” Took me three hours to figure out F.U. was Felix Unger!

• Habfan10912 says:

Yes it was his call Tuesday night. I loved the call on Weise’s goal as well. He just shut up and let the crowd and pictures tell the story. Perfect.

• Grabbed The Cup says:

He called it as if he knew P.K. was gonna score.

• Habanero78 says:

Hahaha I have NHL Network and I watch the Boston feed instead of CBC. I used to have RDS and I would sooner watch it in French than CBC(I don’r know French). I do now know some hockey lingo in French, as any good Canadien’s fan should… :P

Was indeed Hughson. With Craig “I wish I’d played for the Bruins” Simpson providing the colour commentary.

• Chris says:

Jim Hughson doesn’t get enough love for his ability to call hockey games. I feel like he has been appropriately balanced in his play-by-play. The only negative is that he sometimes gets a little too cute with his calls, but he’s been quite good in the playoffs thus far.

My other favourite with CBC is Mark Lee. He is seriously underrated. He has mostly been given western games, and his play-by-play has more of an old-time feel to it for me. The voices are obviously different, but he seems to have followed in the footsteps of the late Don Wittman, who was one of the best in the business.

• twilighthours says:

Too many first names. It’s PAT Kane, over to JOHN Toews, back to DUNCAN Keith, tipped in the net by MARIAN Hossa!

• DipsyDoodler says:

Yet another irksome habit of Pierre McGuire is calling players by his own personal pet nicknames.

Patty Kane. Johnny Toews. The Duncmeister.

—–
          Moving. Forward.

• Chris says:

Citing irksome habits of Pierre McGuire should never become a drinking game, because people would die.

• Ozmodiar says:

Yup.

PM did that with a coach a couple years back.

I ran into the coach’s wife at the play park (our kids playing together), asked her if he liked being called Robbie …

… got the furrowed brow, and “uh, nope”.

• Chris says:

Now that you say that, I can hear it in my head. But I’ve actually never noticed it before. :)

I have no issues with Hughson, but I find Simpson always looking to find positives etc… with the Bruins and seems to find it difficult to praise the Habs when they do things well.

• Chris says:

As somebody pointed out, I think this is more on CBC than Craig Simpson. During the regular season, I generally find Craig Simpson to be one of the most fair analysts on TV. He is equally complimentary of both teams. I always enjoyed when Simpson and Hughson got to call Montreal games because it was night-and-day when compared with Bob Cole (whose call of the game has always driven me batty, as sacreligious as that is in Canada) and Greg Millen (the single most negative colour analyst on TV…he’s awful) or Dean Brown and Garry Galley (who are just awful).

If they took Glenn Healey out of the Habs games and threw Kevin Weekes or Kelly Hrudey down at ice level, I think the tone of the broadcasts changes a lot.

Remember that the colour analysts don’t usually choose what they are going to discuss…they have to go with the highlight package that is given to them.

My biggest disappointment, and it is huge, is the profile that is being given to Brad Marchand in this series. Are the constant cross-checks, punches to the head, jabs with the stick, and trips really what the CBC think sell the game? There are a lot of Bruins worth profiling in a big way: Patrice Bergeron plays the game the right way. Zdeno Chara is one of the best defencemen of his generation. David Krejci does a lot of little things well, even when he’s not scoring. Maybe talk about why the Bruins are so good on faceoffs.

But no…game after game, we get segments on Marchand’s dirty play. It is just brutal, and it does not mesh at all with the types of things that Simpson used to discuss when they weren’t the national game team.

• twilighthours says:

They don’t get to pick what they comment on? I figured the color guys just muted the mic and then told the guys in the van “I want that clip at the next break.”

Regardless, or irregardless, Simpson does little more than just re-do the play-by-play, but on the slo-mo. There’s no actual insight or analysis. There’s no “here’s why it happened” or “here’s how the coach wants that play to develop.” I find the only guy on TV that actually does this (in English) is Ray Ferraro.

I long for the days of Harry Neale, who didn’t really offer analysis but had the great dry wit and cutting voice. So much better than today’s talking head fanboys or ex-players out to just place blame on every shift.

• Chris says:

Twi: It’s not like the old days, where Howie Meeker chose what he wanted to talk about. My understanding is that the analysts are generally told what the replay clip is going to be and give a few seconds to prepare what they want to say about it.

Kelly Hrudey had the start of what looked like real analysis, but they’ve really curtailed that unfortunately. He’s not nearly as effective in his new role. When Paul Maurice was on CBC a few years back, he did a good job in this regard as well.

Maybe what they need to do is stop hiring former players, and start looking more at retired coaches and general managers, the guys who make a living breaking down the game and can perhaps offer a little more insight as to what is going on. Somebody like Dave King, who has coached everywhere in pretty much every possible system, could be really informative.

And I agree with you about Harry Neale: his ascerbic wit was pretty entertaining.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Hughson is excellent, if not the best at this moment

59. Danno says:

I’m so stoked!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

60. twilighthours says:

From the previous thread

1) Agreed, Dipsy. Gainey is much maligned, but he brought us back from the depths of laughingstock. His defense of Breezer and Subban are among his best moments, in my opinion. His often-noted lost-assets-in-2009-event is overblown…. what else is a GM supposed to do? He thought he had the team and he went for it. When the team imploded, there was no way any of them deserved to come back. I respect the guy for really making a run like he did. In late 2008, it sure looked like Montreal was a frontrunner.

2) krob1000, I once again find myself appreciating your posts. You’ve got a keen eye, man. You should coach.

3) Punkster, well done! Should be a beauty.

61. New says:

The thing about the griping over the net being dislodged sort of conceals the play that the Bruins were trying. Chara, Lucic, and Iginla were heading onto that puck at warp speed. 700 thundering pounds of frustrated Bruins with the other three onto the net. Somehow PK got in there a split second early and moved that puck away. So what do you say when you’re a Bruin? That you’re too slow? That it was a Patriots play that didn’t work? Or do you just imply PK must have intended to clip the net when trying to save the intended scrum?

Last year TSN showed the playoff clip where Crosby is belted in his partially healed jaw by one Bruin as another holds him for the thumping. Like Crosby said, it’s part of the game. Like Marchand said about B-slappin a Sedin in front of the ref, he did it because he could. And that’s right. The NHL allows that stuff from guys talented enough to play without doing it. So when they start whining about a silicon peg and intent I think it speaks to character more than anything else.

• bwoar says:

I am 100% sure it was intentional and 100% glad he did it. You only ever see a PS on that play when there’s a crease scramble and it’s done blatently.

• Commandant says:

Claude Julien publically asked for less penalty calls following game two.

Claude got exactly what he wanted with 2 PPs (1 each in game 3).

The Habs knew the Refs had swallowed their whistles. PK bent the rules a little and accidently, on purpose, knocked the net off.

After 59:50 of letting shit go (including what should have been a 5 minute major/game misconduct on Lucic for spearing), they weren’t calling a penalty shot there.

My message to Bruins fans complaining about that non-call. Suck it up Buttercup.

• twilighthours says:

I’m 90% certain it wasn’t intentional. The way the puck went around and his body position and movement indicate to me that he was surprised and trying to re-adjust to get to the puck.

But this is all scenery.

It’s amazing how much is being made about the officiating. Man the Bruins’ organization whines.

62. D Mex says:

( Re-posted as I’m quite interested in feedback )

@ CJ / Mavid / any posters who have been around the Senators :

I was talking with one of my sons’ lacrosse coaches recently and it wasn’t long before the conversation turned to hockey and money. He is a financial investor and suggested I google Wade Redden’s name to see what was there re : career cut short due to (alleged) drug use. He spoke as tho it is certainty, but I know that Redden is a family man so the word ‘ alleged ‘ is very important here.

Anyhow, I was surprised to see current Bruin Andrej Meszaros mentioned online in the same context, as he and Redden were teammates in Ottawa years ago. Wondering if anyone can add some context to these reports – ?

For all their warts, this really doesn’t strike me as something the Bruins would be associated with (?) Redden didn’t last long with them, and NYR moved him to the AHL as we all know. Curious whether there might be substance (no pun) to the rumours.

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

• Commandant says:

I’ve never heard rumors around Meszaros.

I have heard that Redden had a particularly rough time following the death of his mother.

I have also heard rumors on Emery and Dany Heatley.

However, I have no confirmation of any of this, and it should be noted that the NHL does have testing and a substance abuse program.

• Chris says:

There have always been strong allegations around this issue with the Senators in the early 2000’s. How much truth you put to it and who was involved has always been popular gossip in Ottawa, but it was a very persistent rumour that was essentially treated as fact.

• habsguru says:

i can’t speak on anything other than small town rumors re. drug use, though there were lots of rumors.

this I can tell you, I lived there 2001-2006, and had some direct dealings with players/team. many of the guys (fathers – Alfredson, Lalime etc.) were simply that. the rest were frat boys at the best of times, and made absolutely no attempt to hide it.

63. B says:

Baie Comeau won 4-3 in OT last night to even up their series with Val d’Or at 2 games apiece. Jérémy Grégoire had a goal and an assist.

Anthony Mantha had a pair of goals and now has 22 goals in 21 games so far these playoffs. I wonder if Detroit will bring the big kid along slowly and keep him in Grand Rapids for a few seasons?

–Go Habs Go!–

64. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

I don’t want to see Pernell Karl tonight, I want to see PK SUBBAN!

GO Habs GO

65. arcosenate says:

I would very much like to see the Habs win tonight…

66. Luke says:

13 minutes ago
    TSNRyanRishaug: Line shuffle at Bruins skate. Looked like :
    Lucic Bergeron Ericsson,
    Paille Krejci Smith,
    Marchand Campbell Iginla,
    Fraser Caron Thornton

• shiram says:

This guy thinks its a joke:
      DJ Bean ‏@DJ_Bean

Bruins trolling with the looks they’re giving us in morning skate. Marchand-Campbell-Iginla, Paille-Krejci-Smith, etc. LOLOLOL. Don’t buy it

Curious, and to shiram’s point indeed could be head games. Bruins have been very stoic about their line combo’s for years now. However, if they feel the need to play head games on their line combo’s that means they are indeed worried about the Habs present game plans, that isn’t a bad thing as I see it.

• Schmarkty says:

If this is true, then Julien is just copying Therrien’s move of spreading his stars out on separate lines. Could be interesting to see Ericsson get more minutes with some better players, he has the potential to be deadly but has only had a limited role with Boston since his concussion problems.

67. adamkennelly says:

Bruins icing 2 lines designed to cause trouble – which should be fine for us since they’ll likely lose sight of scoring goals.

t-minus 7 hours..I’m getting thirsty.

• Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

If you’re looking for trouble
      You came to the right place
      If you’re looking for trouble
      Just look right in my face
      I was born standing up
      And talking back
      My daddy was a green-eyed mountain jack
      Because I’m evil, my middle name is misery
      Well I’m evil, so don’t you mess around with me

I’ve never looked for trouble
      But I’ve never ran
      I don’t take no orders
      From no kind of man
      I’m only made out
      Of flesh, blood and bone
      But if you’re gonna start a rumble
      Don’t you try it on alone
      Because I’m evil, my middle name is misery
      Well I’m evil, so don’t you mess around with me
      I’m evil, evil, evil, as can be
      I’m evil, evil, evil, as can be
      So don’t mess around don’t mess around don’t mess around with me
      I’m evil, I’m evil, evil, evil
      So don’t mess around, don’t mess around with me
      I’m evil, I tell you I’m evil
      So don’t mess around with me
      Yeah!

Go Habs GO!!!

68. Luke says:

Right after I make a legit Handsome Pete Reference? I call BS!

69. Grabbed The Cup says:

Finally! I was sick of seeing that puke yellow and black jersey when checking for a new post.

70. icedogs22 says:

First…cup since ’93. Go Habs!