Habs, hockey, Special Olympics mourn Frank Selke Jr.

selke-junior

Frank Selke Jr.
Courtesy Special Olympics Canada

Former Canadiens executive and Hockey Night in Canada intermission host Frank Selke Jr. died Monday at age 83.

Those wishing to honour Selke’s memory are asked by his family to make a donation to Special Olympics Canada.

From icehockey.wikia.com:

Selke Jr., the son of legendary Canadiens general manager Frank Selke Sr. during the club’s glorious era from the late 1940s into the 1960s, was a noted executive for the Canadiens from 1951-65. He was part of six Stanley Cup winning photos in 1953 and 1956–60. However, his name does not appear on the Stanley Cup. He was the intermission host on Habs broadcasts for much of the 1960s and was also in charge of the team’s publicity.

Selke Jr. became president of the Oakland Seals (later known as the California Golden Seals) in 1967 and then became the team’s general manager. Selke resigned in 1971 in dispute with the new team owner Charlie Finley. He later became vice-president of the Canadian Sports Network, producers of Hockey Night in Canada.

From Special Olympics Canada:

We at Special Olympics Canada are saddened by the passing of our dear friend, beloved colleague, and tireless champion, Frank D. Selke.

While best known as a celebrated hockey executive and sports broadcaster, Frank became involved with Special Olympics in 1969 as a hockey executive working for the California Golden Seals. Frank stayed involved with the Special Olympics movement for the rest of his life.

In the 1980s, Harry “Red” Foster, Special Olympics Canada’s founder, encouraged Frank to take on a bigger role.  As chair of the Board of Directors of Special Olympics Ontario, Frank established greater financial stability for the organization by attracting community support. He heightened national awareness by persuading his colleagues at the Canadian Sport Network to include segments about Special Olympics on Hockey Night in Canada.

Frank went on to contribute at the national level, serving on the Special Olympics Canada Board of Directors for eleven years. After retiring from the Canadian Sport Network in 1992, he joined the Special Olympics Canada National Office as Executive Vice President where he helped to establish our national partnership program, and was instrumental in the success of this undertaking and the growth of the Special Olympics movement in Canada.

While Frank was a master at selling the benefits of our organization to corporate sponsors, he was also a tremendous friend to our athletes, and well known to their family and friends. He was an ardent ambassador of – and advocate for – Special Olympics athletes and individuals with intellectual disabilities. Frank loved the movement; he understood the power of sport to transform lives and, in his work with our athletes, he contributed to the transformation of many.  In his kind and encouraging way, he was a leader, with outstanding personal integrity and generosity, who led with his heart.

The death of Frank Selke is a tremendous loss to our organization and to our country. Our thoughts today are with Frank’s family: his wife Red; his children Gary, Greg and Lisa; and his many grandchildren.

Frank Selke was Special Olympics Canada’s greatest ambassador for 44 years. He was the heart and soul of our movement, and the face of Special Olympics in our country’s boardrooms and locker rooms alike. We are grateful for all that he gave our movement and our athletes, and we know his gifts will continue to strengthen Special Olympics Canada for many years to come.

Video upon Selke Jr.’s induction into the Etobicoke Sports Hall of Fame in 2004:

Below: Frank Selke Jr. (left) and Danny Gallivan in the broadcast booth.
Courtesy Hockey Night In Canada 60 Seasons

frank-book

1. Strummer says:

Anaheim signs Perry.
    There is no NTC or NMC, which means they signed him to secure him as an asset to trade after this year’s Cup run when they will have to dump salary.

He’s worth more signed than as a rental UFA.
    He gets 8 years with Anaheim as opposed to 7 as a UFA so it’s a win/win.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

“no NTC/NMC”? Why would he agree to that?

Could very well be Strummer, Bob Murray needed to keep Anaheim going on this run, he may indeed have made a deal with Perry that perhaps this summer he moves.

2. frontenac1 says:

Rinaldo decked Malone with a blindside headshot last night.Karma can be a bitch ,eh Campoli?

3. Cal says:

Well, it’s a snow day here in Habland, so here comes another tune:

4. Loonie says:

Friedman’s thoughts are definitely relevant regarding trades.

The “rental” is all but a dead concept. Big names are part of hockey trades now. If a team can’t re-sign a player they trade his rights after the season’s over for the most part.

• krob1000 says:

I wouldn’t say dead at all…I would say the market needs to be corrected as the costs were getting ridiculous..but rentals wil still happen. Someone will always overpay…may not be as many as before ..but there will be some for sure.

• The Juice says:

Friedman is trying to differentiate himself from the crowd but failing. Last year there were 15 trades at the deadline, the majority for rental players…

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

5. ed says:

if we could only add a little more experience, more toughness, and some help on the penalty kill, this team might make some noise at the “dance”. (thanks Boone).

how about Prust and Bourque in Montreal??

Seems like we are mostly looking to add players we already have.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I’m worried about Bourque…does he come back the same player or does he become hesitant to avoid getting hurt? If it was me, I would come back pissed after taking a cheap shot from an animal like Orr. We’ll see…

• Strummer says:

I was posting yesterday how the Habs let valuable assets like the Kostitsyn brothers fall through the cracks because they couldn’t
      deal with the psychological side of their behavior.
      This is another example of how the new regime won’t allow history to repeat.
      ______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Old Bald Bird says:

This was on CBC Sports last night. I don’t know if the clip is available anywhere. As the article suggests, MG seems to be taking it in stride.

Now Sabre fans know how Montreal fans felt last season.

7. Old Bald Bird says:

I know that it goes with the time of year, but all of this speculating on whom we could trade for is driving me to distraction. As Friedman has pointed out, trading will not be easy this year. http://goo.gl/dhw93

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I’m not sure if this is in his article but I heard him also say that non-playoff teams are being careful not to under-evaluate their teams. Some see this shortened season as an aberration and feel their teams are better than their records. They will less be likely to trade the type of players MB supposedly wants: players with some term.

In the discussion below regarding Anaheim, 24Cups made the astute observation that Hiller could be traded by Anaheim. Seems to me the Ducks have a very favourite trade partner in the East who could use a veteran goalie. And both teams share an employee.

9. habstrinifan says:

Just tuning in so forgive me if already discussed. What’s the scoop re lineup changes. Ryder’s in!!!!!!!!!!!! What about White,Blunden,Dumont.

10. Chris says:

Every time a Montreal executive is seen in another rink, Montreal fans go into convulsions dreaming up ways to score that team’s star player for the Habs’ baggage.

Chill out, everyone. If a trade eventually does happen, it will probably involve players that nobody saw coming. Or did you all here about Montreal executives in Dallas for 10 days before Bergevin pulled the trigger on Ryder for Cole? :)

• Habfan10912 says:

Well said Chris but I’m afraid I’m guilty as charged. :)

• Marc10 says:

Ditto. It’s like Christmas… I can’t help but inch my way close to the tree and start poking around.

• Loonie says:

The funniest was earlier in the season when the Habs were “scouting” the Flyers.

Who they happened to be playing three days later.

Sometimes they just want a birds’ eye view of a team instead of watching film.

A pox on these fans for being excited about their team and the possibilities of trades!! A pox I say!

• Ozmodiar says:

Why is my arm suddenly itchy?

• Chris says:

So be excited for the players on your team that actually helped achieve that excitement level?

Habs fans are like Hugh Grant, ca. 1995. You’re getting to hang with Elizabeth Hurley every night but you’re still looking around. It is of course self-destructive, but you can’t help yourself. :)

For every rental or deadline deal, there are dozens that don’t pan out. The rental is only effective if you win. If you don’t win, and the odds are stacked heavily against you, then you’ve squandered resources. Montreal is young and should peak in a couple of years. This season is a VERY pleasant surprise, so let’s enjoy it and hope for continued development.

• Ozmodiar says:

edited comment to add Hugh Grant anology? :)

where are the mods!?!?

I myself normally don’t get to worked up about trade speculations, but others do. I don’t begrudge anyone here if they want to talk crazy and wild trade speculation. Fans = Fanatics, and we are all different.

I am personally loving this run and actually don’t really want any trades done.

11. Habfan10912 says:

Islanders Grabner out 7 to 10 days with shoulder injury. Won’t play Thursday night against the Habs.

12. Marc10 says:

Food for thought…

I was thinking of the coming playoffs. If I’m MB, I’d look to sign a rental as insurance for Gally on the DD line. Not that I think the kid can’t hack it, but rather that in trench warfare, we’re going to need some spare parts… and asking a rookie to go deep in the playoffs – when he’s already played a full season of pro hockey – is a bit much. Some insurance to take the pressure off Gio would also be good.

The Ryder signing was inspired, but he doesn’t have the foot speed to pressure the D like Gally. We need someone who can back up the D and drive the net, and preferably a big body… Just a bit of insurance policy. And a rental too.

The more I think about it, the more I’m convinced that the player we need is Jaromir Jagr.

Think about it. Short season so he won’t be tired. Veteran superstar, Olympic gold medalist, multiple Cup winner, wants to play in Montreal. A natural fit with Pleks if all else fails. Would take the load off Gio and the kid. Imagine Jagr taking the odd shift with Eller and Chucky… And the PP. Holy mother of…

Yes he’s old. But does he have anything left in the tank and what would Dallas be asking now that we’ve fleeced them with Ryder?

Food for thought…

(I will now assume the turtle position and await my beatdown.)

• Loonie says:

I agree with you Marc.

I voiced yesterday that I think we’re relying on the rookies a bit too much and that could hurt come playoff time.

Gallagher will probably be okay in the playoffs due to his ability to fight through traffic, but Galchenyuk at least at this point in his career needs time and space.

I’m not sure that Jagr is the answer because he also needs time and space but somebody a bit more rugged(not a pugilist) could be of great benefit to the team come playoff time.

• Marc10 says:

I’d be happy with someone younger and more rugged. Just as long as we don’t break the bank.

The cap next year makes things interesting for some teams. They’re going to have to offload. They can do it this year and maybe get more, or they can wait until next year.

• Habfan10912 says:

If it’s the Jagr from the first half of last season, yes! If memory serves me, didn’t he slow down considerably in the second half and playoffs last season? Might be worth considering. No beatdown from me.

• Cal says:

Jagr’s groin would hate playing for the speedy Habs.
      Only having to pay for 1 month of his inflated salary may make him worth the risk.

• Bill J says:

No beat down here.

Just to say, I will trust Bergevin. And if he says he doesn’t want rental players that’s good enough for me.

• Marc10 says:

In MB I trust. He’s been full value as a GM. I’m sure he’ll give this a red hot go. Let’s see what he’s able to pull off. The clock has started…

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Marc, it’s a very logical assumption that a rental might be acquired to shield the kids in the playoffs (the comparison is Seguin in the Bruins cup win) but I suspect they are waiting until the very end.

Could just be me, but I see more and more stealth defense, a willingness to use the body when necessary from Galchenyuk, the sort of things that keep him deeper into games.

Assuming Prust settles back in on the third line, that takes a bit of pressure off him and allows him somemore room – think of Prust as Moen and Galchenyuk as AK46 from last year (minus the three deserts LOL)

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

No need to turtle. It is a reasonable proposal. However, I don’t think the issue with the Habs is offense. It is the penalty kill. I would like another Prust. A gritty forward that can play two way and kill penalties. A “trench warfare’ kind of guy.

• Ozmodiar says:

> Think about it. Short season so he won’t be tired

He played in Kladno, so when it’s all said and done – ~ 80 games, before playoffs.

Besides that, I don’t really know what insurance means in this case. Does Gally get bumped out of the top 9? Does he play on the 4th line or is he in the pressbox. I don’t like either option.

• Marc10 says:

I expect injuries and rookies to start feeling it… Was only thinking about that. You’re right though, Jagr played during the lockout.

If not him, I’m happy for it to be someone else. I just don’t know who is out there that won’t necessarily be targeted by Boston or Pittsburg (hello Iggy) who would be good for us.

You can never have too much skill…

• Ozmodiar says:

I think they’ll get their insurance/depth by bolstering the 4th line. If someone goes down in the top 9, Prust will move up the depth chart.

If you’re looking for a top 9 player that might be a bit under the radar, and somewhat affordable, maybe Brenden Morrow.

I’m not sure if he’s a great option, but he’s played a short season and can fill in on any line (Jagr would have to play in the top 6) … and he’s a ‘Bergevin type’ of player …and his wife might want to be closer to Dad.

• Loonie says:

You got a problem with Carbo’s son-in-law?

• Ozmodiar says:

no, no. I just haven’t seen him play a lot in a while. And… I believe if MB goes after a UFA rental, it will be a 4th line guy.

I think top 9 rentals fall into one of 2 categories:
            a) too expensive
            b) not good enough to bump a current top 9 player on the Habs

If MB acquires a top 9 player, someone will be going back the other way, IMO.

13. Habfan10912 says:

Nothing ever good comes out of an 18 year old in a bar. Devil’s prospect may have ruined his life.

• Cal says:

What is a 16 year old girl doing being allowed in a bar? (And who the hell carded her?)What is a junior hockey team (with under aged players) doing celebrating in a bar? Haven’t any of these geniuses heard of liability?
      Junior hockey teams really have to stop this kind of thing from happening by simply banning anything to do with bars.
      If a group of players is stupid enough to insist on a “celebration” at a bar, they deserve what they get. Enough of this “boys will be boys” nonsense.

• Mustang says:

Exactly what Cal said.

I’m not sure what to think of this hit.

• Marc10 says:

I’ll call it before following the link and watching it…

‘Hockey play with a pinch of embellishment.’

Reminds me of a Coaches Corner segment where Cherry said players will now start targeting players legs/lower body etc… as a result of avoiding the opposing players head.

Clearly a late hit, somewhat a blindside, but more importantly another example where this league has players hitting completely away from the puck. To me the biggest problem is the allowance of finish your check hits, it creates a standard where it is okay to hit players not playing the puck.

• Habfan10912 says:

Good morning Gerald. I could not agree with you more. Hitting the player LONG after the puck is gone has clearly crept back into the game. Back in the 70’s the Flyers were allowed to do so and won a couple of cups along the way. In recent years the Bruins started to do the same and when the league saw it was going undisciplined, they joined in the fun.
        Yeah, I know some of you out there want to call me a shrinking violet and hockey is a physical game and blah blah blah. When physical play is allowed that adds nothing to the game outside of an attempt to injure or intimidate then it devalues the game. Isn’t hockey which highlights it’s speed and skill enough of a sport to keep us all heavily entertained?
        The video that Steve shared is another example of hitting in the game that need to be wiped out. Like Chara’s hit on Patches which was a day and a half late which many experts called “A hockey play” ,this hit was also too late to be considered anything else but dirty regardless of where the contact was.
        Some day instead of the point of emphasis by the league being on a little hook or slash it needs to be on these late hits. Let the skilled players dominate the game and let the freaks such as Chara look like freaks. Sorry for the rant. Not feeling well this morning. CHeers.

• Cal says:

Good rant, Jim. Lots of shoveling to do?
          Looks like 6 inches has already fallen here in Montreal.

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Cal. Only a couple inches here but a lot of sleet and ice. I have a bad ticker so the wife has hidden all the shovels. :)

• habstrinifan says:

I’m with you but I think you are a bit unfair to Chara. He holds a grudge and is nasty etc and the P acs hit was outside the bounds. But he will still be a star if all this were eliminated.

• Cal says:

Chara is a nasty a-hole. That is all. I’d love to see him get his neck broken and see how he plays later.

• Habfan10912 says:

I am sure you are right but I can’t help myself Trini. CHeers.

• Cal says:

Tough call. Eakin tried to time this hit with the puck arriving, but was late. Needless to say, he attempted to take out Stajan at the knee. Should be a 1 or 2 game suspension.

15. Danno says:

A letter from Frank Selke Jr. to a young Dennis Kane:

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

So presently the Anaheim team has 24 roster players with a payroll of $56million. Next season the team already has committed $53.4 million to 16 players. So 10 million left over to replace roughly 8-10 spots which includes Selanne/Koivu and two of their top RFA’s coming off their Entry Level Contracts.

Anaheim definitely going for it this year. That will be a much different team next year.

Bye bye Ryan…
      and Beauchemin…

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Marc. Isn’t the Cap expected to increase the following season? If that’s the case you think there probably isn’t enough room to squeeze him into next season and then have more flexibility the following year? I’m not a cap guy at all.

• Marc10 says:

The cap drops big time to $64 mil next year if I’m not mistaken. That means Bobby Ryan is gone for sure.

But they can still get one last run out of their lineup. Lots of guys on that team would be hungry for a cup win, especially two Fins…

• 24 Cups says:

I think the first thing Anaheim does is trade Jonas Hiller. That makes it 15 players at 49M. Anaheim’s UFAs are Selanne (4.5M), Koivu (3.8M) and Lydman (3.0M). If the Ducks can sign all three for 10M then they move to 18 players at 59M. That leaves 5.3M for five players and an injury cushion. Tight, but doable.

I’m still not sure why Perry received more money than Getzlaf. I thought it might have been more like the Suter/Parise deals. The combined income of 875,000 grand (over the 8M mark) could have been an extra roster spot for the next 8 years.

Perry being off the market means the price just went up on Ryder.

You are probably correct Steve regarding the goalie situation. I too was surprised Perry got more money and not the same as Getzlaf. While in the grand scheme 800K may not seem like much, it is perhaps a bit telling.

I don’t think the GM had much choice, he couldn’t afford to have Perry go UFA this summer, and I don’t know how he trades Perry now when the team is playing so well.

• 24 Cups says:

There are a lot of smoke and mirrors right now in terms of Anaheim’s off the charts year. It’s similar to Montreal except the Habs may not fall as far as Anaheim will in the next few years. You also have to consider that both teams rank in the bottom six in terms of games lost to injury.

If any team could face a 1st round upset I think it would be Anaheim.

• Cal says:

Koivu and Selanne and Lydman probably will not be re-signed. Hiller’s contract is like Kaberle’s: nobody wants it. I don’t know if they can afford buyouts, but Hiller is the perfect candidate.
        We’ll see on trade deadline day whether or not the Ducks are in the hunt for more depth.

• 24 Cups says:

Cal – Anaheim just picked up Steckel as insurance. If no one wants Hiller then they could always go the amnesty buyout route.

Koivu and Selanne both still have gas left in the tank and Lydman will be moving to a +35 contract. Lydman may want to play elsewhere but the other two won’t. They’re not Jagr like mercenaries. Selanne @ 4M and Koivu and Lydman @ 3M each isn’t unreasonable.

Selanne’s unreal career certainly puts him right up there with Sakic and Yzerman.

17. Cal says:

RIP – The Selkes are legendary members of the Habs family.

The last time (that I remember, anyway) there was a confluence of winter storms over Montreal (aside from the Infamous Ice Storm) was in March of 1971. Lots of snow fell and, where I was on the South Shore, you couldn’t get anywhere for three days without a skidoo. I mention this because the last time that happened a tall skinny kid led the Habs to Jean Beliveau’s last (and 10th!) Stanley Cup. Can Tinordi stay? Pretty please?

You are all wrong. The reason Dudley was scoping Van is because we are trading Price for Luongo – it is THAT simple.

19. habs001 says:

After Pitts and Boston i believe the Rangers could be the next most dangerous team by the time the playoffs start…The importance of winning the east this year for the Habs is that they would avoid playing both Boston and Pitts..if there are no upsets it is very likely Boston and Pits would be 2nd and 3rd seed in the second round…In the second round seeds are based on points not division winners i think?

• Maksimir says:

I would disagree – I think for Montreal, Ottawa (if Karlson and Spezza come back) are the most dangerous after Pitts & Bos. And even though Boston is a better defensive team and tougher than Pitts – I think Montreal matches up better against them. I’d love to see the standings get skewed such that Pitts & Bos meet each other before either faces the Habs.

20. habs001 says:

Most important addition for the Habs would be a top faceoff man who can also be a top pk..right now the Habs pk is terrible and i have my doubts that if it does not improve it can be offset by the pp which i believe will drop in production in the playoffs… unless you have top notch offensive talent it is impossible to go far in the playoffs with a poor pk…

21. habs001 says:

I know for some posters it is tough but i hope we can lay to rest the ideas of bringing back AK46,SK74,Lapierre,Kovalev,Komisarek.

• Bun E. Laroque says:

Why anyone would want to add any of the aforementioned players is beyond me. Ancient History. So much speculation on what deal Bergevin is going to pull but the team as it exists is winning, has good chemistry and surprisingly has a fair amount of depth. Moen has been a little off this year but come playoff time he is probably the kind of player we would want. Why trade him? The only deals worth making would be to get rid of players we don’t have any use for i.e. Kaberle, Webber. Of course I’m sure MB will surprise us all with something unexpected.

• Buzz Lightbeer says:

Watched a leafs,Sens game with AK46 and Pouliot at the Keg in the Westin Hotel in Calgary couple years back. Benny was super nice and AK didn’t say 3 words but ate 3 desserts :D The point of this story?..I have no clue.

Habs lost the Heritage Classic the next day 4-Zip. Must a been the puddins.

22. HammerHab says:

What is more exciting to me than this teams record is that they’re doing this well with so many young guys in the lineup. Gallagher, Galchenyuk getting regular shifts as rookies….callups like Pateryn, Blunden, Dumont, Tinordi stepping in and not looking out of place, 2nd & 3rd year guys like Diaz, Emelin, Desharnais, Eller, and even White playing fairly strong. Bodes well for the future when you can be successful with so many young guys in the lineup. Even better knowing you have guys like Price, Patches and Gorges signed long term. Haven’t even mentioned Subban yet….

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

• gmonbo says:

AGREED. I like everything about your post, except White. I love his energy, his guts and his fearlessness. However his lack of discipline makes him a huge liability. He has games where he is in control of himself, but too many times already this year he has cost us. If MT has enough patience to let White mature, he can be a great grinding pest. But he has had enough rope at this point in my opinion. He is on the last inch of the leash.

G

23. Rad says:

Just speculating here, but with several injured forwards, Vancouver needs help on the wing and at center. Perhaps they have inquired about a Ryan White or a Travis Moen? Both are Western Canadian boys that may enjoy playing out west.

I don’t really see anyone on the Vancouver roster that would be a good addition to this winning Hab team at the moment except for a guy like Alex Edler, and I doubt he would be available unless we sent them a good D-man in return. So perhaps a deal like White and Josh Gorjes for Edler would work, with some other pieces thrown in by both sides to make the numbers work. Josh is from Kelowna, B.C., just a few hours away from Vancouver.

• Mike D says:

I can’t see Van trading Edler, especially now that they lost Ehrhoff. By the same token, I can’t see the Habs trading Gorges.

Van does need help at C and wing to replace Kesler and Booth, but Moen and White aren’t the guys for that. Trading Gionta to them would help both sides, but as many have pointed out, a first place team is not going to trade their captain mid-season.

Another poster mentioned below that maybe Dudley was there to watch a Minnesota player so that is a good possiibility.

– Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

24. Mike D says:

Burrows is definitely not a fit on this team. He’s not a terrible player (and like a few others have pointed out, his stats are inflated from playing with the Sedins), BUT from a character standpoint he doesn’t fit at all. Same goes for Lappy. The team’s new mentality is definitely an “all business” approach.

Prust would clunk Burrows and Lappy’s heads together like Moe.

– Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I don’t think so either. I would prefer a gritty, experienced, solid bottom six player like Max Talbot. I had a discussion with a poster below who thinks Burrows is a two way stalwart and Talbot is a “scrub”. Let’s look at their playoffs numbers, where stats really count:

Burrows: 63 Games/ 17 Goals/ 12 Assists/ 29 Points/ +6
      Talbot: 77 Games/ 18 Goals/ 21 Assists/ 31 Points (Edit 39) / +17

Burrows played with two of the best players in the world while the “scrub” played on the third line and has won a Cup (scored winning goals in game 7). Burrows has no character while Talbot is well respected. Burrows is going to start a four year deal @4.5 million per while Talbot has three years left @1.75 million per. Burrows is 31 years old while Talbot is only 29 years old. Who is better value? Give me a break…MB is not a fool.

• Mike D says:

I too would prefer Talbot over Burrows for the reasons you mention above. I like him better than Moen this season too, however, I’m not sure there is a huge difference big picture between the two. If there is, Talbot might be slightly better (although many forget Moen scored a cup winning goal too), but then why would Philly make the deal. Having both guys might be a bit redundant as we actually have quite a few bottom 6/PK guys in the lineup, especially with Prust back.

Pleky, Eller, White, Dumont, Prust, Moen, Armstrong are all capable PK guys and many of them are of the tougher/grinder type variety.

– Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny

• HabFanSince72 says:

Math’s wrong.

• habstrinifan says:

Did you see Talbot’s goal last night. Beautiful!

25. LeHabfan13 says:

Burrows is a good Left Winger. Can’t see Vancouver letting him go.

• Marc10 says:

I suspect Bergie will want to have some back up for our 4th liners and for the kids who will experience the playoffs for the first time. He’ll want players who are made for that time of year… Lappy, Burrows, Kesler and Higgins all fit that bill. They played well when it mattered for Vancouver.

If we’re looking at the Wild… I don’t know. It’s intriguing, that’s for sure.

26. frontenac1 says:

Ha! Dudley! Right deuce! Man that was a hell of a weekend! Hey here’s a hand grenade ….Konopka! Saludos!

27. LeHabfan13 says:

Another 4-5 games MB will be watching closely than we’ll see if he’s gonna make any moves.

Still hate the shoot out. Carolina loss to the Rangers and I think they’re a little better team.

28. frontenac1 says:

Maybe Timmins is checking out a Wild player?

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

This whole thing could be a diversion…who knows?

• deuce6 says:

Its Dudley and the only guy I see there would be Setoguchi..

The reason I say it is Burrows is because he fits the mold..He is a good 2 way forward that plays in every situation..All that and brings character..Oh, and he is from QC..lol

Just hearsay on my part, but I if I were to make a bet, that is who I think Bergevin is interested in..

——————
      Brandon Prust doesn’t have hair on his testicles, because hair does not grow on steel….

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

His character is debatable. I don’t think MB would want him but that is my opinion and you know what opinions are worth. Anyway, I think Vancouver is looking to move a salary next year as they already have 60 million assigned. Who knows….

29. Stevie.Ray says:

So… likelihood Ryan is traded?

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Initially thought so but it seems they can afford him as their cap management looks good.

30. frontenac1 says:

Gomez screws up and Getzlaf scores.4-1 Ducks.

31. jedimyrmidon says:

Who are the Habs’ franchise players? Do you think Galchenyuk will one day compare to some of these elite players?

I would guess that they have Price, Subban and Galchenyuk (I know it’s early, but I think he can make it and be a special player).

Pacioretty, Gallagher (if he could rise to Marchand-level of production) and Eller (hopefully) will become perennial productive and extremely useful players for the Habs, but perhaps not ‘franchise’ level. However, they’d be just as valuable, if that makes any sense.

DD, Emelin and Diaz would be a touch below that.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Maybe you should be asking who are the Habs’s “core players”?

• Bill says:

Is Getzlaf a “franchise player”? Because he’s never scored more than 25 goals. Been over a point per game twice. Hasn’t scored 20 goals since 2009. That’s four years ago.

I think if Getzlaf is a franchise player, Pacioretty could certainly wind up being just as good. Who are the LWs in the league who are better than Pacioretty right now?

I don’t think we appreciate him enough.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Agreed on Pacioretty. Wasn’t sure whether to include him with Price and the like or not. I think the fact that he doesn’t play in all situations would ‘hurt’ his status. Guys like Getzlaf, Perry, Crosby, Stamkos and Malkin can play on the PK and have a defensive game (correct me if I’m wrong).

• Mike D says:

I don’t believe Malkin plays the PK and Stamkos definitely doesn’t. As a matter of fact, Stamkos is terrible defensively and he doesn’t even seem to try.

– Honestly yours
          Twitter: @de_benny

32. frontenac1 says:

Maybe the Nucks don”t want Sistito after all?Marc tried to get him off waivers and the Nucks scooped him.

33. deuce6 says:

So, Dudley is catching a Nucks game, eh? Alexandre Burrows anyone?

——————

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Julien’s head would explode. Is he worth 4.5 million/year? Don’t think so…rather pick up Max Talbot.

• deuce6 says:

Last 4 years:
        28G
        35G
        26G
        28G
        Sorry, I would rather have Burrows…Talbot is a scrub…

That production is worth 4.5M..

——————

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Well the scrub has won a Cup and the other guy hasn’t. Habs’s problem is not goal scoring. They need more grit and to improve the penalty killing. Talbot does that at a reasonable salary. Burrows is 31 years old and his production has dropped this year. If MB did not want Cole’s contract, I don’t think he would want Burrows’s. He also plays with two of the best players in the world. I don’t think he puts up those numbers away from the Sedins.

• otter649 says:

Talbot could have been a Hab if he wanted to as an UFA & decided to sign with The Flyers instead…..

He has an NTC?

• deuce6 says:

I forgot..Max Talbot is the reason the Pens won the cup…My bad..

Max Talbot > Marcel Dionne/Gilbert Perrault

Alex Burrows kills penalties and has a scoring touch…

——————

• Bill says:

DDO, I can’t believe you are the only one to point out who Burrows plays with. Burrows is overrated because of his linemates, and I would like to also mention that he is a whiner, diver, and biter.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Agreed. I am from the West Island and I even don’t like him…

• Sportfan says:

Haha Julien’s head really would explode. Remember when Kesler and Burrows were the big s**t talkers and started so much on Vancouver then they were told to tone it down, but added Lapierre haha imagine those three in their prime trolling.

• habsfan0 says:

Burrows is a Montreal native,I believe.

• habsfan0 says:

Given what’s happened in the past(Boullion,Ryder)maybe repatriating Maxim LaPierre is on the Habs agenda.

• deuce6 says:

I would love to get Lappy back..But those 2 mentioned players actually played for Therrien at one point..Lappy never did..

——————

• Stevie.Ray says:

Depth at center is not required. Although I always liked Laps.

• deuce6 says:

Lappy also played the wing..

But I bet it is something bigger than that….Bergevin wouldn’t be sending his right hand man to watch Lapierre or Tom Sestito..
            ——————

• The Dude says:

LaPierre is coming home!

34. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Ducks lucky to get Perry signed. Supposedly teams were not offering close to fair value. Looks like that extra year advantage put in the CBA will help teams sign their home grown talent…

• Bill says:

It was absolutely never in doubt, people were simply dreaming.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

The rumours were based upon Perry’s desire to play near home which were not unreasonable (like Cammalleri). I think the extra year on the contract is a huge advantage. Someone would have to really overpay for him to make up the eight years salary in seven years. I think his agent helped him decide.

• Bill says:

The extra year is a big advantage, and I don’t mind it. I think we agree that it’s good for teams to have an advantage when it comes to signing their homegrown stars.

But I don’t think it was a tough decision for Perry. He’s lived in Anaheim since 2006, so that is really home for him now. He’s playing close to home, therefore. I think too much gets made of the idea of grown men playing in the NHL who we suppose would prefer to play in a city closer to their mommies or something. He’s been in Anaheim for a quarter of his life!

Factor in that Anaheim has Ontario beat to hell when it comes to weather and lifestyle, his comfort level with the organization, his connection with Getzlaf and other guys on the team, winning a Cup there … I think he had no motivation to move at all. I would say the fact that he agreed to this deal mid-season shows he had zero interest in anything else, because he could have gone anywhere in a few months.

Just my thoughts on that, I could be wrong for sure!

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Yeah Anaheim is nice. Tampa’s the best however. Quiet, great beaches, houses by the water, fishing and NO state income tax. Can’t beat that…

• Bill says:

Lucky for us I guess. If it weren’t for the low taxes, beaches, and Florida puck-bunnies, all we’d ever talk about on HIO would be how the Habs are crippled by Lecavalier’s contract ever since the trade, haha.

• Sportfan says:

BAHA Take that Leaf fans who actually thought they’d get Perry. Good for Anaheim I mean hopefully they can afford these two contracts, but both guys are key to that teams success glad he signed there. Funny enough it screws over TSN for their over analysis for the trade deadline. Don’t get me wrong I like TSN, but the over analysis of some stories gets really boring.

• deuce6 says:

With this signing, the Ducks have 16 guys under contract, next season, with a little over 11M in cap space left..They are OK..

——————

• Chuck says:

They’d still have to find replacements for Selanne and Koivu. Because with that little amount left, neither will be back.

___________________________________________________

• jedimyrmidon says:

Who they sign as depth players in the future will be crucial.

And there’s also Bobby Ryan… Wonder what he’s thinking?

35. frontenac1 says:

Gomez gets an assist and Beauchemin scores 1-1 after1. Staubitz looks like he might engage in some delinquent behavior tonight.

36. showey47 says:

corey perry gets 8 year contract from the ducks

• Marc10 says:

Cue the Bobby Ryan speculation…

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Yup. BTW 8.625 million average for Perry…

• Marc10 says:

That’s sick. Imagine what Malkin will ask for…

• jedimyrmidon says:

That’s just an insane amount. What was the lockout for again?

Suddenly, Crosby’s deal isn’t looking so bad.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

It’s a lot but Getzlaf and Perry are one of the best duos in the NHL. If you can’t sign your team’s best players, then what is the point?

• Bill says:

“Saving the game” … blah blah blah. Guys who write cheques asking the guys they write cheques to to save the cheque-writers from themselves. And then they write more cheques.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Indeed they are one of the best duos… but having such huge contracts makes it difficult to build a team with good depth, doesn’t it? To me, it seems that once you have these franchise players signed to gigantic contracts, then you need them to basically take over the team for nearly a decade.

37. govenah says:

I base the prediction on the fact that Kaberle was “showcased” earlier in the year. And he looked ok. And he has not played so he is healthy. So now that the Kaberle show has played MB has move to showcase his other talents to see what other GM’s are willing to trade. Lots can happen before the deadline and a healthy Kaberle is an asset to put on the market. Go MB Go
    PS Sorry I want to place this post on the earlier bold prediction thread earlier.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

You showcase relatively unknowns like Weber or Pateryn…not 13 year veterans like Kaberle. You think GMs are that stupid? All of a sudden he is worth a 4.5 million contract next year when the salary cap is dropping to $64 million? Be realistic…

• Rad says:

Nobody wants Tomas Kaberle, and especially not at $4.5M. Even the Montreal Canadiens don’t want Tomas Kaberle. That is why he sits in the press box, game after game. If Montreal picks up half of his salary, Bergevin MAY get a bite from a team that is in dire need. The return would likely be not much more than a 3rd to 5th Round draft choice, IMO.

38. frontenac1 says:

@Bri. Yeah, a three day walkabout amigo. I hate that that Irish sh*t.

39. habsfan0 says:

It now appears that the Flyers will not make the playoffs, and as a result,will be sellers come trade deadline day.

Perhaps Claude Giroux will be available?

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

The only way the Habs are getting Giroux is if they build Timmins a time machine…

• monmick says:

I would not be surprised to see Brière in Ottawa, if the Flyers are seller. I’m afraid that Giroux, the captain, is staying put….

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• Bill says:

I would laugh at this trade suggestion, but it IS the Flyers … they could do anything, no matter how stupid.

It must have been pretty awkward to be around Holmgren when Richards and Carter hoisted the Cup last spring, haha.

40. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Watched Max Talbot tonight. Would take him over Moen any day of the week. Has a contract @1.75 mill/year for 3 more years. I would trade for this kind of depth…

41. showey47 says:

Rick Dudley apparently at nucks-wild game tonight.

42. ProHabs says:

Anyone have a link to kostitsyn giving up on that play yesterday.

I think the habs are going go trade a third rounder to the caps for matt Hendricks.

• jols101 says:

I would rather Matt Martins from the Isles.

• LizardKing12 says:

Matt Martins is a good option as a 4th line energy guy. I think Hendricks is a slightly more likely trade option for one reason he is great in the faceoff circle. Hendricks has won 57.1% of his faceoffs and is a reliable penalty killer. He would be a valuable addition for the playoff run because we don’t currently have a reliable faceoff options for important dzone situations, he can drop the gloves and he can lighten the PK burden for Pleks.

43. frontenac1 says:

Trust your car to the man with the star!!

44. jols101 says:

Erik Cole got his 2nd for Dallas. Dallas 3 – Flames 0 after 1st.

45. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Just heard Pierre LeBrun on the radio. His sources have told him that Bergevin is looking for players for the long term. Players that will be with the team for the next couple of years at the least NOT rentals. MB is actively looking to make a hockey deal not a rental deal.

• Marc10 says:

Interesting. That might be harder to do as the market is currently locking up talent and the asking price for rentals is over the top if what Elliott Friedman is reporting is accurate…

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I suspect maybe another contract trade like Cole….Bourque or Moen? Just speculating…

• Bill says:

How is a rental deal not a hockey deal? I don’t get it. Well all I can say is if he doesn’t do something to give the Habs a push going into the playoffs, I will be disappointed.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Poor choice of words…let’s call it a “long term” deal vs. “short term” deal.

• HabsWinn-ipeg says:

If that’s true then I don’t see Clowe coming here – he’s not a long term solution IMO. I see MB trying to land a solid offensive winger, but he’s not going to overpay – a mix of redundant prospects/current players/picks that can be replaced with what is still in the system.

46. Sean Bonjovi says:

When the CHL season ends, does anyone know if the players get shipped back to their parents immediately, or if their stay with their billet families until the end of the school year?

• Bill says:

Most of the ones I know leave. They follow a very different school schedule anyway: mornings in school, then off to the rink before lunch. They don’t really mix with the general school population either (except some of the girls obv).

Their teams generally hire a teacher privately to manage their schoolwork, and they work at their own pace. A lot of their courses are done online these days. Quite a few of them actually never technically graduate from high school, but then quite a few of them are pretty serious about school as well.

47. govenah says:

Bold Prediction

Kaberle is traded for a young strong 3rd or fourth line Prust like forward.
    Detroit, Phoenix or San Jose likely.

• Sportfan says:

Or maybe for Boyle in New York haha :P But honestly I hope you’re right would be really cool

• ABHabsfan says:

GMs of those teams are too smart to make a deal like that; maybe Isles…or Charleston Chiefs

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

MB traded Cole because of his contract. He must have already tried to dump Kaberle. Stop dreaming…he will finish the season here and be bought out.

• Bill says:

Think Molson will bite the bullet on another buyout? That Gomez buyout has to be hurting … basically wipes out an entire round of playoff profit!

• Bill J says:

At least the Habs sans Gomez make the playoffs. Can’t profit in the first round with a Gomez on your team.

Just ask the Sharks, they were the hottest team in the league. Then they picked up Gomez.

48. frontenac1 says:

Hola Amigos! Made it back from my Walkabout with just minor bumps and bruises.Anyone out there find a blackberry?Saludos!

49. Habfan10912 says:

Bolts playing with 5 rookies tonight. Habs played with 5 last game (if Blunden is considered a rookie) Two teams on opposite sides of the standings. Our rookies are better then theirs. :)

50. sprague cleghorn says:

Remembering Mr. Selke as part of those magical Saturday nights of my childhood… waiting up until the broadcast began at 8:30(!) with just moments left in the third. The glorious voice of Danny Gallivan, a voice that sounded like hockey, would tell you of the wondrous things you had missed in the first part of the game that was never televised. Then on would come Frank Selke… quiet, unassuming, using an extendable pointer to indicate stats on a board. And yet he was somehow authoritative. You felt he knew what he was talking about, as indeed he did. The snow would be falling outside, and you knew you’d have to shovel off the rink the next day before you could wheel around, pretending to be those glorious Habs or their evil opponents, a dozen Gallivanesque voices each describing their best plays. And when you’d shuffle home as darkness fell again, one kid would say to another, “Tell us about that goal, Henri…” And the other would begin, “Well, Frank…”

RIP Mr. Selke.

51. jols101 says:

Anyone else ever go to the Canadiens official web site at NHL.com and watch post practice/game interviews?

Sounds like some of the media are getting on Galchenyuk’s back for not producing more offensively. During his interview he gets asked if he is surprised that he is still with the Habs considering Grigorenko was just sent back to junior. Then on Gionta’s interview and Gallagher’s interview they get asked about Galchenyuk’s lack of offence.

I guess a kid that just turned 19 isn’t immune to some of the imbeciles that make up the Montreal media.

• Marc10 says:

Seriously…?! Someone should get their head examined. A rookie out of junior is playing 12 minutes with the big boys and not embarrassing himself – and he’s done that from day one!

He’s directly contributed to wins, played in OT, on the PP… WTF? I know there’s a need to create a story because we’re winning nearly every game, but give me a break…

Any how it’s what the coach, the GM and his teammates think that matters and on that front, I’m not worried. They made the right call early on. This guy’s a star.

• Bill says:

It’s pretty nuts. Galchenyuk has gone quiet offensively but it’s clear that it’s a combination of learning curve, limited minutes, limited PP time, and a variety of linemates. If he’s playing 18:00 min and first line power-play, like he would be on a bad team, he’d be scoring a lot more.

Galchenyuk’s skills are obvious and I think definitely elite. His work ethic and dedication have always been lauded. No worries with that kid! I think the Habs are bringing him along just right.

• Desi says:

The kid has the third-best plus-minus on the team. He’s learning to play a responsible, third-line, defensive role at this point and doing that very well. The goals will come, I’m sure — but I’m happy to see him taking his third-line role seriously and making sure that he’s not making rookie mistakes that cost us games. “First, do no harm” is a good mantra for any rookie and he’s adopted that credo. When the goals do start coming for him, we’ll hopefully just win games by bigger margins.

• ed says:

for every Boone or Stubbs, there are 10 imbeciles that work in the media.

we are very lucky here at HIO.

top notch media contributors.

• saskhabfan says:

He should say he only has 3 less points then their favourite son in DD with alot less ice time, less pp time,lesser linemates and going by his +/- he isn’t nearly the defensive liabiltiy. That outta shut them up.

• Sportfan says:

Were these Morons from CBC TSN LA PRESSE Or Journal de Montreal? Trying to stir up BS when it’s not needed

• LeHabfan13 says:

jols – Don’t pay any attention to it. Everyone’s turn comes. Guess Dumont or Tinordi will be next. Some sick people in the media.

• rnnoble says:

Every reporter (I think) has a certain story they are trying to tell, but watching the raw interview footage in sports is very interesting. You can really tell, based on the questions they ask, what story they are going to tell, and they are just fishing for the right sound bite that they can take out of context. I’m generalizing, and I know that some reporters are better than others (obviously, since I’m here), but it happens very often.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Idiots.

They have a huge lack of perspective. Hope Galchenyuk is strong enough mentally to brush off such questions. Also hope Gionta spoke to him afterward to reassure him.

52. Habitant in Surrey says:

…looking forward to Stu and Dave’s HIO conversational feature with Jacques Demer

…if it’s 1/4 as entertaining as the initial video podcast with Chris, it will be well worthwhile :)

53. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Frank Selke Jr. was an iconic part of My memories of watching Our Montreal Canadiens on our 21 ” black & white television in My family’s living room while I was a young mischievous boy long long ago

…He was, for Me, the predecessor of Dick Irving Jr., the colour Voice sitting beside Danny (whose melefuous voice still echoes in the recesses of My mind) and chairing the between periods’ Hot Stove panel (brought to You by Esso Oil) :)

…in leaving Canada for Asia and the beginning of My Life’s circuitous journey, I was only vaguely aware of His misadventures with Charles O. Finley and the Golden Seals

…was not aware of His intimate involvement with the Special Olympics, and was always a person I often asked Myself ‘whatever happened to FS Jr. ?, and I often wondered where He is today ?’

…now, I know

…R.I.P. Mr. Selke

The picture of Frank Jr. and Danny gave me goose bumps!
    Men like these are harder to come by today.!

55. Old Bald Bird says:

I remember Mr Selke Jr very well. Condolences .

In other news, Friedman has his latest 30 Thoughts, and there’s a lot about the difficulty of doing trades this year. Don’t get your hopes up.

56. habstrinifan says:

If my ‘reading sources’ are correct, Frank Selke jr. helped the Canadiens (most massively maybe) even when he was not emplyed by the organization. Frank Sleke jr was the GM of the Seals who traded his draft pick (turned out to be No. 1 Guy Lafleur) to Pollock for Ernie Hicke.

But dont blame Mr. Selke for this disaster. The owners of the Seal wanted Ernie to join his brother, Bill Selke, who was a star on the team.. in the hope that the brother combination would attract fans.

57. habstrinifan says:

Sadly, I should know more about Frank Selke than I do. Thanks for the article Mr. Stubbs and RIP Mr. Selke. I shall be doing some reading on this HABS pioneer.

58. commandant says:

Another name from our history lost, tis a sad day. May Frank Selke Jr Rest in Peace.

The stories this guy could tell, basically grew up in the Montreal Forum.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

59. RobertLefebvre says:

Selke Jr was 82.

“Ironically my father was hired by then Leafs owner Conn Smythe on September 7, 1929, the day I was born.”

“The Selkes”, from the Marlies official site

60. Psycho29 says:

I must be old because I remember him hosting HNIC…

RIP Mr.Selke Jr….

61. NTTIAWWT says:

R.I.P. Frank Selke Jr.

62. habsfan0 says:

Frank Selke,Jr. was the intermission host in Montreal, Ward Cornell in Toronto. No Don Cherry as sidekick for either of them.

RIP Mr. Selke.

63. Sportfan says:

I missed it but PTI (of all shows) showed Kostitsyn quitting on a play which lead to the other team scoring on Nashville any one else see that? What an awful player so glad we chucked him if Poille was smart he’d do the same. The Preds are a hard working team and should get rid of any rights towards these players like Kostitsyn and Radulov man these guys annoy me

64. RobertLefebvre says:

Thanks Mr Selke, for the draft pick traded to the Canadiens in May of 1970!

• HabFanSince72 says:

Was that him? That was sure sneaky.

• RobertLefebvre says:

Nothing sneaky about it. Selke Jr’s Seals’ didn’t have a first round pick in 1970 and they really had an eye on Chris Oddleifson that year. The deal was a flip flop of first rounders. Possibly finishing last and getting a shot at Lafleur or Dionne didn’t even enter the picture for Selke Jr. Of course, then the Gods took over!

65. Habfan10912 says:

I have heard very little about Prust. I bieve the original prognosis was 7-10 days. Since we’ve heard no real news can I assume since the team is doing so well that he’s not coming back until he’s 100%. Make sense?

• jols101 says:

Well there is definitely no need to rush him back into the lineup. We have a nice 13 point cushion on 9th place so giving Prust some extra time is probably the best thing to do. We need him 100% down the stretch and in the playoffs.

• JF says:

He was skating along with Weber and Bourque on the second sheet of ice at Brossard today, but according to Gaston Therrien, none of those players is ready to return. Diaz is still doing off-ice workouts and is farther behind Bourque in his recovery. The key will be to have them all healthy as we get close to the playoffs.

66. jols101 says:

Threads are coming fast and furious today.

RIP Mr. Selke.

67. Sean Bonjovi says:

It would help if this story began with
    “Former Canadiens executive and Hockey Night in Canada intermission host Frank Selke Jr. died Monday …(at the age of whatever it was).

68. Habfan10912 says:

Let’s be fair Terry. We all know some “old punks”. :)

69. Psycho29 says:

I hear ya! Your correct with that opinion!!

;-)

70. RobertLefebvre says:

I stand corrected (my typo)

71. Habfan10912 says:

I was going to blame it on that dang new math. CHeers Robert.

72. L Elle says:

Phew, finally, someone before my time. I guess that makes me a punk. lol

73. Lafleurguy says:

….we knew that already….

74. L Elle says:

Hmmm, something tells me you really meant that. ;)

75. Lafleurguy says:

….not at all….the people I don’t like on HIO I refrain from communicating with at all….even when they insult me….I’m sorry for the tasteless wisecrack….I have a Y chromosome…..

“May you live in interesting times.”

76. L Elle says:

I know you were kidding, I was just being a punk. :)

77. Lafleurguy says:

….you could teach a lot of us how to have a great sense of rumour….

“May you live in interesting times.”

78. Lafleurguy says:

….with you bud’….when I get sick, I’m expecting some “Get Good Soon” cards….

79. Lafleurguy says:

….heard a talk on “Narcissistic Personality Disorder,” and expected it to be boring, but as the speaker kept going, it was fascinating….the Ancient Greeks were very observant 2,400 years ago….

“May you live in interesting times.”

80. habsfan0 says:

Was the speaker Don Cherry?

81. Lafleurguy says:

No, I don’t think the Don likes Greeks any more than he likes Swedes. I think the speaker was Chinese.

“May you live in interesting times.”

82. Bill says:

Why not Crosby then.

83. jols101 says:

Maybe the Pens will do Crosby and Malkin for Markov and Kaberle.

84. Steven says:

Crosby and Malkin for Kaberle, and even THAT is overpaying on our part.

85. Lafleurguy says:

Now we’re satirizing HIO posters….luv it!

“May you live in interesting times.”