Habs hit the road on a hot streak; Drewiske clears waivers

After taking five of a possible six points last week with Carey Price on the sidelines, the Canadiens had a travel day Sunday, heading to the West Coast to start a four-game road trip.

The Canadiens play in Los Angeles Monday (10:30 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690), Anaheim Wednesday (10 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690), Phoenix Thursday (9 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690) and San Jose Saturday (10 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690). Their next game at the Bell Centre will be on Wednesday, March 12, against the Boston Bruins.

The Canadiens announced on Sunday morning that Davis Drewiske had been put on waivers. The defenceman cleared waivers on Monday and will report to the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs. Drewiske has yet to play a game this season after undergoing shoulder surgery.

Peter Budaj - filling in for Price, who is recovering from a lower-body injury suffered at the Sochi Olympics – made 22 saves in Saturday’s 4-3 overtime win over the Toronto Maple Leafs, improving his record to 2-0-1 since the Olympic break. The Canadiens are 5-0-1 in their last six games.

Budaj has an 8-4-2 record this season with a 2.21 goals-against average and .918 save percentage. Price is 26-17-5 with a 2.33 GAA and .925 save percentage. The Canadiens are giving up an average of 2.40 goals per game, ranking eighth in the NHL. The Kings lead the league, giving up an average of 2.08 goals per game.

“Everyone knows what Carey Price can do, but a lot of people around the league are noticing Peter Budaj,” Max Pacioretty, who scored the OT winner Saturday, told reporters after the game. “He made some big saves early in the third period to keep us in the game.”

Said Budaj: “I’m just trying to do my part. It’s not about the number on the back, it’s the logo in the front that counts.”

Price will accompany the Canadiens on their road trip, but there’s no indication when he will be able to resume playing.

(Photo by Pierre Obendrauf/The Gazette)

Canadiens vs. Kings Preview, NHL.com

Budaj playing for logo on front of his jersey, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Habs’ Budaj proves he’s a battler, by Jack Todd

Habs wake up to beat Leafs in OT, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Budaj filling in nicely for Price, by Pat Hickey

Habs vs. Leafs photo gallery, montrealgazette.com

Post-game interviews (video), Canadiens.com

Subban discusses his relationship with Therrien, Stu on Sports blog

Canada’s most famous hockey fan – and his beer fridge, Stu on Sports blog

Former Hab Valeri Bure now has his own wine label, Stu on Sports blog

1,160 Comments

1. Maritime Ronn says:

TIMO
    You were wondering about the Habs in LA?
    Tough Habs practice in Los Angeles yesterday afternoon

2. DipsyDoodler says:

“Sources tell TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger that the team is ‘quietly gauging interest’ on the Senators captain,”

Is “quietly gauging” several notches below “aggressively listening to” offers?

What is the rating scale?

3. JUST ME says:

Moulson not on the ice for practice today. Insert twilight zone theme here…

• Habcouver says:

I’d settle for Rod Serling and the sign post up ahead.
      Let’s see some deals here to make it interesting :D

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

4. BriPro says:

I’ve seen the future (Saturday, March 8, 2014)
    The Habs have just finished a quasi-successful trip on the west coast where they took 5 of a possible 8 points.

The most important post on HIO:

@Timo – I can’t believe I’ve been trashing Therrien so much. I’ll put aside my chronic sarcasm to state the obvious. The man’s a genius. And I’ve just tweeted a public apology to DD. The guy plays way above his head. My bad!

You know what I haven’t seen (and dearly miss) in a long time? Stubbs’ “he is such a good guy” story. I think we need one soon.

6. HabsPooch says:

@TSNBobMcKenzie: As @DarrenDreger said, much interest on DAL Robidas. Injured now, back mid-March. Good fit for top contenders looking for D (ANA, BOS etc).
    If the Habs do part with Markov, Robidas could be a cheap pick up and is a much needed right handed defenseman. It would allow Emelin, Gorges and one of Tinordi or Beaulieu to play on their correct side.

7. mfDx says:

Is it just me, or did Phil Kessel look like he was about to puke every time he got off the ice saturday night? Beet red. Head down. Heaving.
    Made me happy to be a leaf hater.

Sent from my CHphone

8. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Timo should blog the West Coast games instead of Boone…LOL

So Price played with the injury for Team Canada… why can’t he do that for the Habs? Can he walk it off?

10. arcosenate says:

I see John Lu broke the Bergevin mother-in-law passing away story. He might just win a Pulitzer for that.

He’ll probably start wearing a helmet and gas mask for the locker room post-game.

11. Maritime Ronn says:

Anyone else getting a little concerned about the health status of Price?

So let the rumor speculation begin:

– Last game played: February 23rd.
    – Last Practice: February 26th skates off quick flexing knee.
    – Undisclosed Lower Body injury (groin-knee?)
    – Reported Price would only miss 2 games.
    – This game will be the 4th game Price has missed.

– Price accompanies the team to the West coast
    – He does not skate/practise today.
    – That is now 8 days with no skating.

– Dr Frank Jobe works in Los Angeles
    – The good doctor is 1 of the top arthroscopic surgeons
    – The good doctor did the Markov reconstructive surgery
    – Martin Brodeur waves his No Trade clause
    :-)

12. SmartDog says:

BORED? ME TOO.
    5 “TRADE” QUESTIONS:
    1. Who is more likely to get traded – DD or Plekanec?
    2. What would you have to get back to trade Markov?
    3. What player would you most LIKE to see traded from the Habs?
    4. What ‘name’ player of those floating around is MOST likely (however slim that is) to end up a Hab?
    5. Would you trade Gallagher and Eller for Kessler?
    ————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Timo says:

1. Subban
      2. A top 6 forward and a dmen who can play top 4 (and no, Gorges like is not top 4)
      3. Michael Therrien
      4. None
      5. Nope. But I would trade Gorges and Bourque for Kessler

• thebonscott says:

1. DD i hope
      2. young roster forward or defensemen, high draft pick or prospect
      3. Gorges
      4. Edler for gorges, plus???
      5. No, Kesler is gone in 2 years, that would be stoopid

C’mon guys this is not rocket surgery!!!!

• BJ says:

1) Plekanec (although I think he’s our most complete forward).
      2) Top 6 and a 1st.
      3) Gionta.
      4) Kessler
      5) No.

• Cal says:

1. Neither. 2. A Stanley Cup. 3. DD, but it won’t happen. 4. That 4th liner from the Philly Phantoms. 5. Nope. Kesler is damaged goods. Ever see the way he lines up for a face-off? Looks like a chronic bad back.

• twilighthours says:

1. Neither. Never happen
      2. A blue chip prospect (NHL ready or already in the show) and a 1st
      3. I woudn’t miss Moen, Bork, Emelin, Gionta
      4. Not really up on things, but I’d enjoy some Vanek or Moulson from Buf
      5. Nope. I’d trade Gallagher and I’d definitely trade Eller, but Kessler is slowly breaking down.

• Harditya says:

1. This season.. neither, Eller is more likely.
      2. Blue-chip prospect (either scoring winger or defenseman)
      3. Rene Bourque
      4. I am not sure who’s been linked with the Habs, but I would love to see Matt Moulson in a Habs uniform (highly unlikely).
      5. Nope

• Luke says:

1) Plekanec (I believe he has more value to a real top team like CHI).
      2) A real high end offensive prospect. A smattering of draft picks.
      3) PK. The return would be wild. The discussion would be Epic.
      4) Absolutely unsure.
      5) No. Not much of a Kessler fan. I think he is overrated. Plus the way he plays lead to a shorted career and quick decline. Someone mentioned hBrendan Morrow today…
      5.1) I am not opposed to trading Gallagher, obv dependant on return. Love him, but by no means would I stop listening if his name was mentioned.

• mdp2011 says:

1. Neither
      2. Shea Webber
      3.Bork
      4.Moulson
      5. Gallagher no, Eller yes.

• Habfan10912 says:

1. DD
      2. A power forward.
      3. Bourque
      4. Moulson
      5. Nope. Concerned about Kessler’s health plus I”ve grown fond of Gallagher.

• Big Ted says:

1. Plekanec, because he has a wider trade market
      2. 1st or 2nd rounder + a young defenceman (think Dylan McIlrath or Derrick Pouliot)
      3. Desharnais, if only because it frees up a spot for Eller to play in the top 6 and get the chance he deserves. Bourque is probably the guy who is of least value to us right now though.
      4. Hemsky
      5. Never

• BriPro says:

1. See Cal, Twilight and mdp above.
      2. See Cal above.
      3. Risebrough
      4. Jagr
      5. Absolutely not, and definitely yes… one for one.

Are any of the glorified HIO reporters in LA? Perhaps an update from the practice or at least a weather update? Something?

• Harditya says:

Briere is now on a line with Eller and Bourque and the 4th line is Weise-White-Moen. Other than that no changes. Price has been reportedly placed on IR, but that’s probably to fit within roster size limit until deadline.

14. sweetmad says:

Buds in net again I am getting worried about CP,these day to days are lengthening.
    GO HABS GO

15. DipsyDoodler says:

This sounds crazy but hear me out. Shouldn’t teams be allowed to trade points?

Say you are out of the playoffs, and you had beat the Isles back on November 22nd. And the Isles are on the bubble.

You could trade that win for one of their picks or a prospect. So they give you a 3rd rounder and the score of the game is reversed – they get your points.

A team could trade all of their points to the teams they beat and end up getting the first draft position.

It isn’t any different than Buffalo trading Ryan Miller to St.Louis really.

TSN’s trade deadline extravaganza would be wild.

• boonie says:

Way above my limited intellect, but the coolest outside the on thinking I’ve heard in ages.

• D Mex says:

Not entirely crazy, but way outside the box. There would definitely have to be an Edmonton clause, however, to prevent team from trading themselves back into the 1st overall pick … every year :-/

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

Very interesting read on trade deadline day with Jim Nill, specifically discussion around Wings acquiring Chelios from Chicago, perhaps sheds some light on a possible Markov trade?

• mdp2011 says:

Very interesting. Also, very interesting what Chicago ended up getting for Chelios, the same return some fans want the Habs to get back for Markov, a 1st round pick and a prospect. None of the 3 pieces that Chicago got ended up being of any value to the Hawks.

“In return, Chicago received promising defenceman Anders Eriksson and two first-round draft picks, which became defenceman Steve McCarthy (in 1999) and goalie Adam Munro (in 2001).

And that is why Markov being traded to a contender and not getting an NHL ready young player is too risky.

The pick will be at the end of the 1st round, a prospect is just a prospect. Meanwhile Markov has at least 2 more good years left in him.

I just had in CONFIRMED from the reliable source that today’s Habs-Kings announcement will be about the following:

1. To LA Kings – Michael Therrien, Dahveed Dayharnay and Max Pacioretty

2. To Montreal Canadiens – Daryl Sutter and (Subban’s buddy) Mike Richards

You heard it here first, folks

18. HabsPooch says:

@JohnLuTSNMtl: #Habs Bergevin’s mother-in-law passed away Sunday am. He’s in Chicago with his family, keeping in contact with hockey in LA.

19. boonie says:

Since my first list of made-for-HIO trade rumors went over like Led Zeppelin, here are some more. Maybe this bunch will garner some interest…

To start, I’m going to revise my Gionta to LA and have him to the Avs. The Avs are playing well. Nicely positioned to make the playoff and get wiped out in the first round or two. They need experience. They have scoring, reasonable D and decent enough goaltending. Their leaders are still young-ish and don’t have much experience. Sakic and Roy understand that value and will look for guys who can play a 6-9 role up front, and have won. I say Gionta to Colorado for a third.

With less than 72 hours to go and a whole bunch of stuff to move, the Isles have to start shedding players now. Andy M goes to the Pens for a second and a prospect that only looks good in Pittsburgh and turns into garbage for all other teams.

The Sabres next move is Moulson to Anaheim. Pick your haul of a first plus middling prospect plus a conditional third to first for the usual reasons. The Ducks needs more LW and extra scoring can’t hurt. Moulson will be moved. The question is to who and for how much. This one feels right.

If we don’t move Markov to LA, NJ does. Either way Zid’s heading west. Anaheim and SJ need to upgrade their powerplay and Marek is a tied for second among NHL d for PPG with 6; and 8 PPA and an expiring contract for a 37 year old. Since the Ducks will buy Moulson, I’ll go with Zid to SJ.

All the noise in NJ has been on Marty F to Minnesota — cause his son plays HS hockey in the state. That’s a bunch of hooey. The Wild aren’t desperate for tending and Brodeur isn’t changing addresses for the only time in his career for a long shot at the Cup while riding the pine in America’s hockey hotbed. The real story there will be Jagr. He’s playing lights out. If MB doesn’t trade Markov, I could see a stealth deal between the Habs and Devs so Jaromir finals plays where he wanted to with his buddy Plecs. I say Jagr and a third for Eller.

Rangers decide they need scoring and trade former Hab prospect Danny Kristo to Dallas for former Hab Eric Cole. They figure he’s a big body that might regain his scoring touch in the east. Doubtful, but they need to score and Kristo’s upside is high but uncertain.

That’s it for now. The next edition will feature unexpected guys like Bobby Lou and Cam Ward; and when the Panthers plan to wade in to Player Dump Exchange Day.

20. Luke says:

I propose trading this 10:30pm ET start for a 10pm one.

(At the very least – I’d like to have gone for a 7pm start, but we’d have needed to include Weber to make that happen).

21. AZ_Hab_Fan says:

I hope price gets better soon.
    I’m going to the Habs-Coyotes game on Thursday. Hope he’s in.

22. stephen says:

OK, just an extreme what-if scenario to ponder for kicks:

If Price were to be out for the rest of the year (heaven help us), would you pick up Brodeur in the hopes he could conjur some post-season magic?

23. Psycho29 says:

Chantal Machabee reporting that Marc Bergevin is not with the team in LA due to the passing of his mother-in-law.

24. arcosenate says:

Sportsnet is speculating that the Habs will not trade Markov under the headline “Oilers Make Offer for Markov”. They mention that San Jose is the best fit for Markov even though the Habs will not trade him.

25. BriPro says:

Prust and Bournival are on the ice in L.A. with no-contact jerseys.
    Carey Price isn’t practicing.

• CJ says:

Budaj will need to be much, much better tonight. I like Ned, but one or two shaky goals tonight and we will be in big trouble.

• BriPro says:

Agreed CJ.
        Our Habs won’t be able to roam the ice as they did against the Pens or the Laffs.
        I think it might be another game similar to the Wings’ spanking.
        Yes we won, but you won’t win very often when TOP is less than 35%.

• Ron says:

See White is back between Moen and Weise.

• BriPro says:

Excellent. Amazing what a difference a year makes. His presence wouldn’t have excited me last year. He’s matured a lot this year, I find.

• BJ says:

Probably the most improved player on the team this season. He’s acquired a discipline beyond reproach. Probably has helped some that he doesn’t feel like he has to be one of the heavyweights on the team.

26. Psycho29 says:

@ Praj12 & Dipsy,
    I think the smoked meat place you are discussing is in the small strip mall at the corner of St.Louis and Gratton in Ville St.Laurent.
    (west of Marcel Laurin). Used to work in that area, and the smoked meat was excellent. It’s Called St.Laurent Deli.
    Used to see Dickie Moore there often ….

27. mdp2011 says:

Well this is getting a little worrisome, no Price at practice in LA.

28. boonie says:

How come it’s ok for the Sens to entertain offers on their captain who they drafted? And, it’s not ok for us to entertain offers on Markov or our captain? Is it because they’re 3 points out with 21 games to play and we’re 7 points in with 20 to go?

• mdp2011 says:

They are not trading Spezza, Brian Murray just now.

Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch 2m

“The thing that really bothers me, I’ve got all kinds of calls on that now, and texts on that now, is some guy that I don’t know has put it”out on twitter that we’re shopping Jason Spezza. Every media guy grabs that and goes with that,” says Murray.

29. TMan1969 says:

Nice banter ref upcoming trade deadline day – which is usually a quiet day for Montreal. But I did read something on Sportsnet – Edm made an offer for Markov…did anyone else hear this one/read it? What would they give for Markov – Eberle? Draft picks?

“If I knew the answer to that I’d bet $10,000 on the game and retire from coaching.”
    —Montreal Canadiens coach Toe Blake after being asked if his team would win an upcoming game

30. habs1992 says:

Hearing Markov wont be back next year,

I support Carey Price
    “Habs Insider”

31. CalgaryHab says:

Nothing to do with any topics below but I finally unloaded my tickets (via Stubhub) to the Flames/Sens game on Wednesday night.

Every Canadian team has a big demand for tickets when they come through Calgary except Ottawa. They have the same appeal as teams like Florida, Carolina, Atlanta (in their day). For some reason I find satisfaction in that.

• CJ says:

You could walk up to the box office at Scotia Bank centre (now CTC) and buy a playoff ticket on the afternoon of game day two years ago when the Senators were hosting the Rangers. I have not paid to go to a game yet this year. People are forever trying to give tickets away. In those instances where I do want to go, I simply check Kijjiji and buy at half price. Keep in mind, Ottawa has the third cheapest tickets in the NHL.

I was reading articles on the weekend whereby the Canucks were upset noting that the Senators were not a draw and the reason why tickets were not being sold to the Heritage Classic.

• CalgaryHab says:

I find it very odd. I’ve been a season ticket holder to the Flames for 5 years and every year – crickets. Other Canadian teams – huge demand, packed house, awesome atmosphere. Hmm, the curious case of the missing sens fan.

32. PoochHabs says:

Can someone help me with on how to create an avatar…there’s no options when I update my profile. Thanks.

33. SnowManHabs85 says:

If Cammy can fetch a pick and prospect, by all means trade Gionta for a pick and prospect. And use that pick to trade for Gaborik. With Gaborik’s recent history of injuries, he’d probably can be had for less than Vanek is worth. Unloading Gio’s cap hit, it opens space to acquire Gaborik’s cap hit. Not the best trade but worth if Gaborik can turn it around at the best time for playoffs and he’s still one fastest skaters and better finishers in the league. Either way, both Gio and Gabby are UFA’s after this season.

Habs would still have prospect in in addition after all transaction is complete.

Win is a win, but I hope we win.

34. BriPro says:

Anyone who’s gauging to what extent an athlete has influence on a youngster has to see this:

35. Paz says:

Habs have become the Dallas Cowboys of the NHL.

36. on2ndthought says:

Stop trading Eller! You will regret it in 2 years for another 10. Just give him his EGG line back and you won’t have time to regret it it this year.

“a cannonading drive”

Oh the reports on who is being shopped are getting better and better. Now TSN reporting that Senators are gauging interest in trading Spezza, while other reports have them looking for a winger to play with Spezza.

National Enquirer wrote more believable stuff!

• DipsyDoodler says:

“Mom who craved carrots while pregnant gives birth to rabbit-faced baby”

• Habfan17 says:

Yes, I live in Ottawa and they have been discussing it here on the team1200 TSN radio for a few weeks now. As they mention frequently, it is because of his chronic bad back. The word is, Murray isn’t sure about resigning him because of the contract it will take and his back issues. He only has one year left on his contract and they hope a team will take a chance since he is healthy now.

Habfan17

• Maritime Ronn says:

burli

They took a page out of the Y2K frenzie
      Nothing more than the pumping a show.
      The TSN gang were also seen at the local temple praying to the hockey gods to delay anything close to a trade before Wednesday

• BriPro says:

I think the good people of Ottawa are more concerned today with the suspension of the entire U of O’s men’s varsity hockey team. Sexual assault charges are being discussed.

• Hstands4Hockey says:

I think a lot of teams use the trade deadline as an opportunity to assess market value of players, even if they have no intention on actually trading them.

——————————————————————–
      Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
      @Hstands4Hockey

38. careysubban3176 says:

If the Habs were to deal the likes of Gionta, Moen, etc. it would come at the right time because most of the buyers are coming out of the west and the Habs are on their final western road trip. Doubt anything happens but who knows.
    P.S. If they do trade anybody with the exception of Markov, they will get next to nothing in return which I don’t mind because that just means the young guys like Bournival finally get a chance as well as Briere would benefit too. If MT wasn’t so stubborn he would have Briere with Plecks and Galchenyuk like he does on the PP which is a pretty good offensive line if you ask me. There is no reason why Gionta couldn’t be on the 3rd line. He would be playing the same style of play and wouldn’t hinder the Habs scoring as he is doing right now with only one legitimate scoring line and essentially 3 shut-down lines that score sparingly to none at all.

Stop blaming the goaltender! He can only do so much.

39. PoochHabs says:

Speculation from an LA source about Cammalleri joing the Kings for a pick and prospect. Cammallerri, Richards and Carter would be a nice playoff line…

40. Rad says:

Speaking of tough guys, Edmonton’s Luke Gazdic is establishing himself as one of the top heavyweights in the league. He has won 11 out of his 13 fights this year. Saturday night he knocked out Kevin Westgarth of the Flames cold with one punch — and Westgarth is a big boy. Oilers did well to pick up Gazdic on waivers earlier in the year, without giving up anything. The kid can skate too.

41. Habfan17 says:

The reality is no one here knows who wants what players and who they would be willing to give up to get them.

I suggested the Habs trade for Brassard before the Rangers went and did just that, and I was shot down here. Most posters said he wasn’t worth getting! He looks pretty good and has pretty good numbers, 36 points in 61 games. That would put him 3rd on the Habs, tied with Markov.

It is fun to put forth our thoughts and suggestions, but we really do not know what Bergevin, or any of the other 29 GM’s will do, or who they would want.

I do love the back and forth here and the justifications we all give. This is more fun than the trade line deals!

Habfan17

• Habcouver says:

It’s fun Hf17, but I’m even more impressed with the imagination (and hope) we have here.
      Overall, I’m glad MB is staying the course: much like a financial plan with minimal risk and modest return.

I’m interested how much players are willing to play in Montreal? In the past and perhaps present, there were/are the tax issues, public scrutiny, and host of other excuses made from players not wanting to play here. Has that mentality changed at all?

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• Habfan17 says:

Hey Habcouver! I too am happy that MB has a plan and so far is ticking to it. I would like to see him be a little pro-active by moving and unrestricted free agents he knows aren’t in his plans. I am tired of losing them for nothing.

I am also mot one of those that think the Habs would take a big step backward this season and risk the playoffs by doing so. I think, done right, it reinforces the confidence that MB has in the players still here and shows he is looking to make the team better, long term.

Habfan17

42. DipsyDoodler says:

Whoa whoa whoa.

Schwartz’s is not over-rated.

Schwartz’s smoked meat sandwiches are as good as ever.

And please don’t talk to me about Smoke Meat Pete or whatever – I go to the West Island to shop at Ikea, once every two years. Under duress.

• Praj12 says:

Really? That place along with Pete’s sucks arse. Curly Q’s in the Decarie and Cote Vertu shopping centre was the best in the world.

Now I have found one in St.Laurent on Blvd St>louis. Great little Jewish ( what else) that has the softest sweetest tasting smoked meat ever. You could eat it without your teeth.

HABS fan since ’68

• Cal says:

If you like eating fat with your fat, smoked “meat” is the way to go. It’s definitely for a young stomach as it’ll take a day or two to recover. (Personally, I think there’s more protein in the mustard and rye bread, but there ya go!)

• shiram says:

Awful, we asked for lean and got a plate of unsavory fat.
      Both of us got sick.

43. CH Marshall says:

Subban to LA. CONFIRMED.

44. SPATS says:

Weise is a warrior (see photo below)

He was back on the bench after the dirty play by Kadri sent him in for repairs. Could have been much worse!

I believe Moen and Gio will be moved together tonight. 2 cup winners who can help the ducks or sharks go deep.

Weise, White and Prust will form the best 4th line in the league for the rest of this year and move up to a solid 3rd line next. Prust will get an A this year and a new deal and the C next year.

We will get someone in return who can turn the Plecky, Chucky line into a bonafide 1B line.

45. habs_54321 says:

checking tsn’s standings montreal is the hottest team in the league over the last 10 games with a 7-1-2 record, hard to believe… but true.

46. Phil C says:

I may be wrong, but won’t Buffalo have trouble getting to the Cap floor next year? The only have 11 players signed for next year and continue to shop contracts. They can’t get to the floor by bringing up all young players on ELCs. Signing a bunch of overpaid UFAs does not exactly fit with a re-build strategy. They are almost going too far with the whole tank strategy.

47. Un Canadien errant says:

I think the posters who believe that Marc Bergevin, rightly or wrongly, will largely stand pat at the deadline are on the right track. I would guess that the team has surprised him, in almost an awkward way, in how well it has performed, hampering his ability to trade assets for a true rebuild. Instead, he has to retain players for a putative playoff run. You always like to win, it’s good for morale and the organization, but possibly some plans have had to be scrubbed.

On the other hand, he does not have the chips to wheel and deal like the Penguins or the Blues might. If Jarred Tinordi, Nathan Beaulieu and Greg Pateryn had developed really quickly, and were now ready to be fixtures on the blue line, and/or if there was a junior-age player ready to jump into the lineup next season like a Boone Jenner or Brandon Saad, he could consider dealing veterans or more marginal prospects for upgrades to make a playoff run, but we’re not there. Our prospects are developing, but the pipeline isn’t gushing as of yet, so he doesn’t have much to swap with. Any acquisition will leave a hole somewhere else. Beefing up the blueline will deplete the forwards or the store of draft picks, and so on, we’d be robbing Peter to pay Paul.

So again this trade deadline, we should be reasonably confident that the Canadiens won’t be a major participant in the proceedings. Before the draft should see more activity, with contracts expiring and decisions on players being made.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

48. durocher says:

Eller, Briere, and Leblanc for Moulson and Kevin Porter

Briere is superfluous and is not a 4th line player (4th liners should be grinders). Buffalo may be one of the few, if only, teams interested in Briere. And he has another year on his contract.

Eller has size and tenacity, but isn’t producing after a great start centering the EGG line. If he is traded, Chucky can be moved to C.

Leblanc – he hasn’t stuck with the Habs and Buffalo will likely want a 1st in any return for Moulson. Rather than give a fresh 1st pick, maybe the Sabres will take Leblanc.

Moulson – consistent 30+ goal scorer.

Kevin Porter – gives us some depth in Hamilton. Played with Max in Michigan.

Max-DD-Gally
    Moulson-Pleks-Gio
    Bourque-Chucky-Prust
    Moen-White-Weise

49. Mattyleg says:

So where’s Moulson going?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

50. on2ndthought says:

Fun reading today. Mike D, joeybarrie and the defenders of Gio, all got their points in before me, but I don’t mind repeating ;)

MB, sign AM 79, 2 years with club option year 3, 5 to 5.5 M/yr. I really don’t want to say ‘told you so’ to those calling for his trade.

Prediction: Eller starts scoring out west, doesn’t stop (which means Prust or Bourque also start chipping in)

“a cannonading drive”

• Un Canadien errant says:

The Collective Bargaining Agreement has done away with contract options, nowadays you sign a deal for a fixed amount of years. I have been thinking though that Marc Bergevin could be wheedling the Markov camp with a two-year deal, and a verbal, necessarily non-binding promise that if he makes it to July 2015 without any major injury, another year will be immediately tacked on, which is the soonest that an extension could be signed. This would play the part of an option, as it were.

51. ClutchNGrab says:

On a day where we’re all trying to find players that could be acquired to fit in the lineup, one of the player that’s missing has been traded a few years ago. McDonagh is exactly the type of player the Habs need. Can you imagine PK and McDonagh on a first pairing?

Seeing how Parros should be done as a fighter and he ain’t much of a hockey player, should Habs pick up MacLaren as a resident goon to play only against laffs, bruins and senaturds?

• Mattyleg says:

That would destroy Don Cherry’s mind.

So I’m all for it!!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Hobie Hansen says:

He completely sucks! I think Parros is actually a better player and that’s just sad.

• Timo says:

Yeah, but Habs won’t be getting him for his hockey skills. Just like (at least I hope) they didn’t get Parros for his hockey skills.

• Hobie Hansen says:

In terms of fighting only I don’t think he’s any kind of upgrade over Parros either. I also think with the acquisition of Weise, the improved play of White and the eminent return of Prust, a player like Parros or McLaren isn’t needed. The Habs have to fit Moen in there somewhere as well. They’ll have to count on Murray or Tinordi to take on the big boys of the NHL.

• adamkennelly says:

Parros is most certainly done this year – I don’t think Habs will replace him but if they do – must go young so if it works out it could be a long term solution.

• SPATS says:

Weise makes Moen expendable. Weise, White and Prust are a fierce 4th line who can play 12 minutes a game.

Parros will be bought out, Moen will be dealt (possibly with Gio – 2 cup winners there) Prust will get a new deal and the C.

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH

• Un Canadien errant says:

George Parros’ contract expires this July, negating the need for a buyout.

• habsguru says:

he had an assist against PIT, and PK was held off the sheet. leave to an Ivy Leager to excell at the “Better Person” program.

• on2ndthought says:

McLaren’s problem is that his size got him to the NHL too quickly, he needs seasoning in the AHL. We don’t want to claim him off waivers to put him on waivers. Look to Buf to pick him up.

“a cannonading drive”

• BriPro says:

Don’t you guys get it?
      GM, under Geoff Molson’t insistence, went out and got a big body, just to shut us up. So Paros it was.
      Now, nobody wants him.

53. shiram says:

Gino RedaVerified account ‏@GinoRedaTSN

Matt Moulson only Sabre not on the ice with the team this morning- Sabres

54. rdhabsfan says:

I thought the scene with Carey Price and his father after the gold medal game was amazing ( N.H.L. Revealed : A Season.)

• SPATS says:

Agreed, the wife (who is the quintessential hockey widow) asked for a kleenex. Then I told her about Carey’s dad getting his pilot’s license and buying a plane so Carey could play in an organized league to avoid the 5 hr drives in northern BC winter… Then she asked for the box!

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH

55. Ron says:

The University of Ottawa has suspended their hockey program due to a police investigation into incident a couple weeks ago. Was hoping the senturds would follow suit.

56. Paz says:

Putin is a douchebag.

57. Pierre Maguire says:

ESPN‏ @espn·2m

The @LAKings and @CanadiensMTL have each scheduled press conferences for 6PM PT

58. shiram says:

So food is on the topic again.
    It’s annoying but in the Bell Center, there really is no staple food, there is the usual arena fast food, but nothing really stands out.

But if you are fleet of foot, you can now go to Dic Ann’s on Ste-Catherine, where they offer good burgers but also serve beer now!
    A rare thing to see a fast-food franchise offering beer.

• Mattyleg says:

My buds and I used to laugh at the Belle Province on the corner of Atwater and Notre Dame because it sold beer.

Then we had nowhere to go in the area for a post-softball game beer with food, so we went there.

We weren’t laughing then.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• DipsyDoodler says:

I’m too nervous to eat during a live game.

• shiram says:

I always come in early, so I’d like to have some good eats available on location.

• DipsyDoodler says:

And good beer too. Eh Mr Molson? Are you listening?

• shiram says:

Seeing the price of the brewskies at the Bell, well I’m glad I’m not a drinker…

• Mattyleg says:

I go out and drink 4 pints of microbrew, and my girlfriend says nothing.
            I drink 3 cans of Ex or Canadian, and when I come home she says “tu sens la robine,” and I sleep on the hideabed.

Can’t be a good thing.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

@Matty, given I don’t speak french, does this mean the Ex or Canadian makes your girlfriend fear another child will soon arrive?

59. shiram says:

Aaron WardVerified account ‏@aaronward_nhl

Oilers sign Scrivens to a 2 year deal…thought to be just over 2 mil per year.

60. Ron says:

Drewiski cleared wavers and assigned to Hamilton.

Laffs placed their meatgead McLaren on wavers. Wonder if someone out West picks him up. He can chuck them.

61. shiram says:

Bob McKenzieVerified account ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

Waivers today: Kobasew (PIT), McLaren (TOR), Larsen (EDM), Dubnyk (NSH).

62. Mattyleg says:

Bobbo tweets:
    Waivers today:
    Kobasew (PIT), McLaren (TOR), Larsen (EDM), Dubnyk (NSH).

-edit- Also, Drewiske cleared waivers, and has been assigned to Hamilton, as per Renaud Lavoie.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

63. boonie says:

I have to run to a meeting and miss the fun for the next couple of hours. Here are some random trade rumors I’m making up with some placeholder justification to keep people busy until I get back.

Gionta and Cammi to LA for 2nd/3rd rounders and middling prospects. They need scoring. Gio and Mike paired for up the last two series we won. Sutter knows Cammi. Cammi knows LA.

Surprise (Spoiler alert)… Tyler Meyers and Stewart to Boston for Hamilton and a 1st. Philly will prop the price up for Meyers, but you heard it here first. Stewart is a Boston guy. The Bruins will see Meyers as an eventual Chara replacement; a big body that needs multiple years to truly develop a HOF career (I’m not see Myers will, but that the Chiv will think so… hey… Kaberle). Buffalo is trading everything but the seats that aren’t glued to the arena floor. Franny endorsed Myers when he arrived. That was 40 days ago.

Pitt, concerned about MAF (despite winning a Cup with him) wants security. Look for something obvious like Ward or Brodeur — cause they won; and Lou cause he’s always rumored. But my choice is Halak – the rental – who beat them a few years back. They go to the playoffs with a 1/1A thing and cross their fingers.

If Bergy and Kings are good dance partners, Markov goes with Gio to LA and we get an upgraded prospect, the 2 becomes a 1; and we get a third next year that becomes a first if Markov resigns or the Kings win the Cup.

You heard it here first, because I just made this all up.

64. @Matty

Geezus Matty, Gionta is 35 years old and his contract runs out in July, anyone can fill his role on the team, and I mean anyone. White for god’s sake plays harder than Gionta.

As for Captain, there are a ton of role aging players with experience Markov, Plekanec, Murray, Lord even PK talks the talk.

You read like a bitter old man today :lol: Try living out here in -47 temperatures.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Congrats Carey Price and PK Subban, Montreal’s Gold Medal Members!

• shiram says:

I can agree that Gio would be better be suited in a third line role, will less minutes, less responsibilities and maybe 2 young player for him to mentor, but the fact of the matter is we don’t have the depth to make him a third liner.

White could not be a threat in the o-zone as much as Gio is, and that’s even with his diminished shot.
      Leblanc? another suited for a 3rd line role.

• boonie says:

Not fair. Gionta is 35 and his contract is expiring, but he plays hard, shows up for his teammates and can often be found in high traffic areas.

Still, I’d move the guy in a heartbeat. Don’t talk down the players we’d like to trade. The NHL GMs reading this board won’t pay the high prices we want — like Hal Gill for a second.

We said, defensive stallwart. Hadwe said, slowfooted antique, that would have been a fourth.

• Mattyleg says:

Morning Shane!

I guess I’m missing the target with my witticisms today, because I’m not bitter at all.

As for Gionta, I don’t think anyone could play his minutes as responsibly as he does. White can afford to play harder than Gionta, because he plays around 10 minutes less per game.

Do you think that our second line would be as effective with just anyone on there?

(I didn’t mention anything about Captain, btw…)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• joeybarrie says:

Gionta is a smart and effective player. His is our fourth highest goal scorer….. That says a lot (we need more scoring). But he is part of our shut down line, and given his time on ice, age and plus minus he plays a very important role.
      People under rate players like him. If we dont see top scoring, useless…. We are very short sighted in this sense. Players like Gorges, Gionta, Pleks, Markov, Briere, Bourque, Eller, Moen and Emelin are very important in the role they play.
      Gionta is among the top 3-4 of those guys and how effective he is in his role.
      But a lot of times, people only want to see goals.
      Look at Briere for instance. Tied for fifth in goals, and his ice time puts him 15th-16th on our team.

65. Marek says:

Hey everyone,

Off topic but I will be attending the last game of the regular season to watch the Habs play the Rangers, I’ve been to watch games before but I never really had the opportunity to venture out too far from my hotel. Any suggestions on places to go for some grub/beers before or after the game? I figure if anyone knows the best places to go they will be on here

• CJ says:

Good morning Marek.

I have always enjoyed the ye Olde Orchard pub. Its small, but oozes ambiance, is in very close proximity to the Bell Centre and is easily accessible if you arrive a couple of hours before the game.

Likewise, being the creature of habit that I am, we often eat at the Baton Rouge. They have a game day menu and neither the food nor the prices have ever disappointed. You can find a better meal, but the location makes it an A+ IMO.

Food for thought. Enjoy the game! Cheers, CJ

• Hobie Hansen says:

If you want to stick with the hockey crowd and talk hockey you should go to The Irish Embassy Pub before the game and Hurley’s Pub after.

TSN 690 does their pregame radio show at the Irish Embassy Pub.

I’d put the address but I’m sure you can just google them. They’re both walking distance to the Centre Bell.

• Marek says:

Thanks CJ/Hobie

We are most likely going to try and visit as many places as possible. We will be there from friday-monday so lots of time to take everything in. During my last visit I wanted to try baton rouge but we just ran out of time before the game. We will most likely go there for dinner one night, as for game day I think we will be more into the beers than the food so I think a place with plenty of fans to talk hockey with will be great, Thanks again for the ideas!

• Mattyleg says:

Hurley’s, on Crescent, is an HI/O favourite.
      Good food, good beers, good atmosphere.

Not much in the way of ladies, but you can’t have everything!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• 24 Cups says:

My main issue with Hurley’s is that they need to turn the music down a bit so people can hear each other.

• Mattyleg says:

Not to be difficult at all, but I go there very often, and I’ve never had trouble with music levels. Maybe it’s more about when and where…

Where were you sitting?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Mike D says:

Hi Marek,

You gotta go to Schwartz’s for a smoked meat sandwich. It’s not really close to the Bell but definitely worth the short drive/metro/cab ride.

It’s a Montreal institution! I go every time I visit back home.

- Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• Marek says:

Thanks guys,
        We will be staying downtown pretty close to the bell so we will have plenty of time to take in all these places, the last couple times I didn’t really have to much opportunity to visit many pubs as I was with my girlfriend and much time was spent shopping. Boys trip this year. On a side note, of the 5 games i’ve watched the Habs live, they are 5-0, 2 games in Montreal, 3 in toronto, with price having shutouts in 2 of them! I hope my luck continues

• habstrinifan says:

Overrated now!!!

• shiram says:

Yeah awful is what I’d say instead of over-rated.
          Made me and another person sick last time we were there.

• habstrinifan says:

I tried to be polite. I agree with you but then again what do I know. I think McDonald’s french fries are good.

• shiram says:

Well I see a difference between an opinion on taste, and food that makes you sick!
            McD’s fries are not awful, if you get them fresh and not too salty.
            Most times I got them they were cold, over salted and limp…

• DipsyDoodler says:

Has anyone been to the Steerburger (or is it called Mr Steer ?) recently? It’s on Ste.Catherine. Anyhow, fond memories there.

Pre-game I’ve always found the steak and lapdance special at Supersexe to be the best deal going.

• habstrinifan says:

Aaaah Mtl. lap dances.

Spent two monthly mortgage payments once on a caramel brown eyed beauty whose lap dances left me confident that both she and I had found true love.

At least she kept me so occupied I didnt eat the ‘food’ as my friends did. I think their intestines have never recovered.

66. boing007 says:

En attendant MB.

Richard R

67. Maritime Ronn says:

I just ran across and old Andrei Kovalev article

The bottom line becomes be careful what you read and believe by the supposed media experts…

06/27/09 at 04:12 PM ET

RDS reports that russian newspaper Soviet Sport says Alex Kovalev has already met with the Molson brothers, the new owners of the Canadiens, and new head coach Jacques Martin.

According to the newspaper, they have assured him he would be back with the Canadiens next season.

68. Rad says:

Bergevin is a patient guy, not the kind of GM to make a rushed or panic move. I expect very little action at the trade deadline. Most likely he will wait to see how prospects such as Andrighetto, Hudon, Collberg, and Bozon perform in the Playoffs, a couple of them perhaps even joining the Bulldogs for the stretch run this year. Most personnel decisions will be made in the Off-season, at or ahead of the Entry Draft.

69. doug19 says:

A likely trade for Montreal could be Subban. I love Subban on the habs but if he isn’t signed before the trade deadline is that good?
    I guess it depends not only on the contract but the style of team the habs want. This would be a trade super star for super star!
    I hope he stays!!!

70. piper says:

I don’t understand why so many posters here feel the Habs should not try to aquire Chris Stewart. He’s the type of player this team has lacked for years.

• What’s your offer to get him?

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Congrats Carey Price and PK Subban, Montreal’s Gold Medal Members!

• piper says:

I don’t think Sabres will trade him now but I would have offered the Blues Markov+. Maybe the Sabres would do that then trade Markov but I doubt it.
        I was just surprised to see how many didn’t like Stewart.

• The last thing the Blues need is a defenseman.

They want scoring, and we don’t have what they want.

I like Stewart……but now that’s he’s been easily moved twice in his career spells cough cough problem child. I could br wrong, in fact maybe he’s the greatest guy in the world and teams are trying to cash in on a perfect personality haha

Shane Oliver
          Twitter @Sholi2000
          Custom Sports Figures
          Congrats Carey Price and PK Subban, Montreal’s Gold Medal Members!

• Luke says:

He’s been traded twice, yes, but in (or as part of) a dealfor decent return.

He was traded for a solid defender in Erik John$on and now for a solid goalie in Miller.

These are moving surplus for need. It’s not the same as Latendresse for Pouliot or Bourque for Cammellerriii

• joeybarrie says:

I think Stewart is just a 3rd line player with potential. And so that in itself is a commodity in the NHL.
            For his size and the rate he takes penalties, he really doesnt hit enough.
            I think he is over rated, and has had the benefit of good line mates to help. Nothing wrong with that. I like him, I just think people see 30+ instead of 20+… and at 4.15 million a season and probably looking to get more, over rated.
            His plus minus is not great for being part of that St. Louis team, and his PP production is also low given that team and the 2 minutes he averages.

• piper says:

Fair enough but he was traded in the past to fill a need and you need to give quality to get quality.

• CJ says:

I don’t think its a case of not liking Chris Stewart. My comments this weekend were meant to showcase what we might expect if we landed Stewart. As I said, IMO, there is a fixation with size, which I feel helps draw a natural interest in this player. My remarks regarding Bourque were meant to offer a cautionary note.

Sorry, and I hope this doesn’t come across the wrong way, but I honestly feel that some and I repeat SOME posters here watch nothing more then Canadiens games. I would venture a guess that without the use of google of another platform for the purpose of reseaching a player, some posters would have no idea who Hampus Lindholm is. Naturally when Chris Stewart’s name is mentioned, the point of reference becomes the two games in which the Blues bested the Canadiens this season.

Just my two cents….

• shiram says:

I like him plenty, but I feel caution is warranted with that guy.
          Blue fans were not too saddened to see him let go.
          And he has a reputation like that of Bourque before he was a Habs.

• Luke says:

Some Habs fans won’t be saddened to see Markov traded. And up until 2 weeks ago, some would have helped Price out the door… so that may not be the best indicator.

• joeybarrie says:

Trade Markov for Stewart? Are you crazy?
          Our top defender for a 20 goal scorer who takes penalties like crazy and barely hits.
          4.15 million for a 3rd line player (although a very good third line player) is too much for us, and to give away Markov would be insane.
          Stewart is over rated, IMO, and in Buffalo we will see how great he truly is. Clarkson comes to mind when I think of him.
          I would love him on the Habs, but who’s place would he take, especially if we trade away a D.
          Top 3 are:
          Pleks, Gionta, Max Pac, DD, Gally, Chuckie, Bourque and Eller.
          Id give up Bourque for Stewart. But no one is making that trade.
          St. Louis wanted a top goalie to go for the Cup. We dont have anyone for them. So it was never an option for us.
          Price and Bourque, for Stewart and Halak would have been the only way. And the city would explode if that happened.

• jimmy shaker says:

Moulson, kane, buff, vanek……these are the type of 1st line players the habs need, not more depth 3rd or 4th line guys. Go get those type players first, then go after stewart if need be.

Shaker out!

71. Commandant says:

With the Blues making a big trade on Friday, Nick K looked back on the last time the Blues made such a high profile acquisition, and how that trade didn’t work out for them, or the team they traded with.

Not all deadline deals have a winner and loser, sometimes both lose. Something to keep in mind when saying we should deal markov for futures, not all futures pan out.

Also a look at Kris Letang.

72. Mike D says:

So, Ryan Callahan has “softened” his contract demands from 7mil x 7 years, down to 6.5mil x 6 years. Way to take one for the team, jack@$$.

1) Who got in this guy’s ear and convinced him he was an elite player?
    2) For the sake of the rest of the league, Slats better not pay this guy north of 6mil or that deal will be the one that other agents bring up when trying to extort undeserved money for their undeserving players.

I like Callahan and the way he plays, but this guy is worth 5.5mil at the very most, and that’s factoring in the increasing salary cap.

- Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

• Luke says:

He looks at $5.2 million for Clarkson and says: “That seems like a fair number for a player like Clarkson.”

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi mike

They are probably projecting the Salary Cap increases to come with all the new revenue streams coming.
      Can’t blame the guy for trying.

Let’s see how it all pans out…then wait and see all the wacky contracts to come for this summer’s group of UFAs.
      Ex: If Markov would ever wait, someone would throw at least 4 years/$22M at him.

• Mike D says:

Hi Ronn,

I definitely don’t blame the guy for trying, and I expect that his side has given consideration to the expected increase in the cap, but it still seems ridiculous to me. My 2 cents are barely worth that, but I just couldn’t believe how high he’s pegged himself – both in term and dollars.

- Honestly yours