Habs hit the road on a hot streak; Drewiske clears waivers

After taking five of a possible six points last week with Carey Price on the sidelines, the Canadiens had a travel day Sunday, heading to the West Coast to start a four-game road trip.

The Canadiens play in Los Angeles Monday (10:30 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690), Anaheim Wednesday (10 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690), Phoenix Thursday (9 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690) and San Jose Saturday (10 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690). Their next game at the Bell Centre will be on Wednesday, March 12, against the Boston Bruins.

The Canadiens announced on Sunday morning that Davis Drewiske had been put on waivers. The defenceman cleared waivers on Monday and will report to the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs. Drewiske has yet to play a game this season after undergoing shoulder surgery.

Peter Budaj – filling in for Price, who is recovering from a lower-body injury suffered at the Sochi Olympics – made 22 saves in Saturday’s 4-3 overtime win over the Toronto Maple Leafs, improving his record to 2-0-1 since the Olympic break. The Canadiens are 5-0-1 in their last six games.

Budaj has an 8-4-2 record this season with a 2.21 goals-against average and .918 save percentage. Price is 26-17-5 with a 2.33 GAA and .925 save percentage. The Canadiens are giving up an average of 2.40 goals per game, ranking eighth in the NHL. The Kings lead the league, giving up an average of 2.08 goals per game.

“Everyone knows what Carey Price can do, but a lot of people around the league are noticing Peter Budaj,” Max Pacioretty, who scored the OT winner Saturday, told reporters after the game. “He made some big saves early in the third period to keep us in the game.”

Said Budaj: “I’m just trying to do my part. It’s not about the number on the back, it’s the logo in the front that counts.”

Price will accompany the Canadiens on their road trip, but there’s no indication when he will be able to resume playing.

(Photo by Pierre Obendrauf/The Gazette)

Canadiens vs. Kings Preview, NHL.com

Budaj playing for logo on front of his jersey, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Habs’ Budaj proves he’s a battler, by Jack Todd

Habs wake up to beat Leafs in OT, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Budaj filling in nicely for Price, by Pat Hickey

Habs vs. Leafs photo gallery, montrealgazette.com

Post-game interviews (video), Canadiens.com

War of attrition, Canadiens.com

Leafs go penthouse-doghouse, Toronto Star

Leafs lack depth up front, Toronto Sun

Leafs, Habs playing a dangerous game, Sportsnet.ca

Kings on four-game winning streak, L.A. Times

TradeCentre reports, TSN.ca

Deadline deals sparked Rangers’ 1994 Cup run, NHL.com

14 storylines to watch during NHL’s stretch run, NHL.com

Subban discusses his relationship with Therrien, Stu on Sports blog

Canada’s most famous hockey fan – and his beer fridge, Stu on Sports blog

Former Hab Valeri Bure now has his own wine label, Stu on Sports blog

1,160 Comments

1. Habfan17 says:

I would think if MB gets Markov signed, one of Emelin or Gorges would be traded during the off season. Beaulieu has proven he is comfortable on the right side and Pateryn and Nygren could push for a spot, if they aren’t ready, MB could look into trading for a right handed defenceman with sandpaper. The left side would have Markov, Hopefully Tinordi and one of Gorges or Emelin. I would like to see Murray resigned for one more season for depth.

Habfan17

2. D Mex says:

PJ Stock – nothing to say / desperate to be heard.
    Digs a deeper hole every time he opens his yap – both languages.

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

3. Habcouver says:

Oh no! PJ is about to speak.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

4. D Mex says:

,,, and now Hughson, who lives in the White Rock area, begins to lament the Canucks performance. Quitcher’ whinin’ Jimmy …

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

5. Habcouver says:

Ping-ping and back through Lack’s legs: a great pool shot.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

6. Mavid is a Canadian and Golden Price is OUR MAN says:

yikes..both posts…me thinks Lou should be in for the third..but what do I know..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

7. Mavid is a Canadian and Golden Price is OUR MAN says:

**sigh** the sens are leading..with pizzahead getting the assist..great now were going to have to hear how wonderful he is…

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

8. piter says:

I find the uniforms that the Canucks/Senators are wearing at the Stadium game to look too much alike. I find I have to look twice at some plays, thinking a player passed to the other team. Is it just my bad eyes?

• Mavid is a Canadian and Golden Price is OUR MAN says:

they are similar..I have no issue telling them appart..Sens have a big zero…Canucks are Burgundy..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

9. CJ says:

I was just leafing through Facebook and noticed that one of my good buddies, who now works for the NHL, has been to five of the outdoor games this season. Pretty cool stuff.

Regarding the game today, I feel like I’m watching a carbon copy of the habs leafs game last night. Everything turned following that crazy bounce which led to the first Senators goal. I think the similarities end here. With the loss of Daniel, the Canucks are going to be hard pressed to come back. Too bad, a loss today would have really buried Ottawa.

• Habcouver says:

I must say we have conflicting interests today, CJ. :D

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• ABHabsfan says:

Hey CJ, you just see that shot on 18 by McIlroy? Unbelievable!!
      He’s going full Lloyd Christmas and may just win this.

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

10. Habcouver says:

Nucks lose Daniel Sedin to injury, and now down 3-2.

Fans chanting “We want Lou”… looks good on ya, Gillis.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

11. Prop says:

Holy crap, what a party I had.
    Habs winning, 6 pints of Keith’s, a double scotch, and a bottle of Grey Goose later, and I just woke up.
    My liver just whispered “Rosebud”

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

12. johnnylarue says:

I’m enjoying the tighter camera angles of this “outdoor” classic. Feel a bit closer to the action… and a heck of a lot closer to the action than those poor fools in the nosebleeds.

• Habcouver says:

Notice the players look bigger, too?
      Even DD would look towering….
      …. ah, maybe not.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

13. Hobie Hansen says:

Ryan Kesler just said that the atmosphere is great at the game but it’s like a sauna inside BC Place.

Almost every baseball or football game I’ve been to at the old Olympic Stadium in Montreal or the Rogers Center in Toronto it’s close to unbearable when the roof is closed. It’s so hot, humid and stuffy in there it ruins the experience. Can they not pump fresh air or air conditioning into the building so people aren’t gasping for air and sweating to death?

14. Un Canadien errant says:

One aspect about Ryan Kesler which some East Coast HIO’ers may not be familiar is just how tough and mean he is, and we’re not talking fake toughness like Maxim Lapierre or Nazem Kadri, a guy who picks his spots or plays dirty with his stick and then turtles. Ryan Kesler would stand toe-to-toe with Jarome Iginla any time the Canucks played the Flames, and if it meant a fight he’d engage him in that too. Now as nice a guy as Jarome Iginla is, he’s possibly the last guy I’d want to tangle with.

Another illustration of his toughness is how he played against the Blackhawks during their playoff wars, how he was hated by Chicago and they’d threaten to decapitate him, it was almost like the Flyers focused on Chris Chelios. But just like the latter, Ryan Kesler took it all on, took the team on his shoulders, and didn’t flinch or back down, even on the road.

Whichever team ends up with Ryan Kesler will have a gem of a player, a warrior. All the hype about Brenden Morrow last year as a leader and playoff performer, the Canuck centre is three times the player.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• johnnylarue says:

I’m not sure I understand why the Canucks are supposed to be looking to trade him…?

• Un Canadien errant says:

1) He apparently asked for a trade. Whispers that he and Torts aren’t seeing eye to eye.

2) He’s a valuable trade chip that they could use to rebuild on the fly, get a younger centreman and a couple of prospects/picks to restock their system. Sell him high, while he still has a lot of value, and while they don’t expect to contend for a couple of seasons that his contract runs.

• Garbo says:

He only shows up for half the games and isnt producing enough to justify his contract.

• Pieboy says:

I’ve watched Kesler often in Vancouver. He does have the heart of a lion, and at times has carried the Canucks on his back. He is frequently injured though.

15. Plekasuares says:

Bring up Nate. Tinordi had 3 awful pinches. Nate is better at this time.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Based on what the RDS boys are saying, Nathan did not impress anyone with his attitude and effort once back in Hamilton during the Olympic break. He didn’t play hard on defence, played like an individual, made lapses in judgment. It apparently influenced the decision to recall Jarred instead once the break was over.

• Sportfan says:

He played like that in Montreal when the Dogs came that’s for sure

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Maritime Ronn says:

There you go again.
        For some reason, you always appear to never miss an opportunity to pile on Beaulieu using rumor and heresay to make your point.
        Why is that?

You have no idea or real info why Tinordi was recalled instead of Beaulieu.

• Ron says:

Yes but he wrote a blog all about it. He knows how imature, out of shape, piss poor attitude he is. RDS has it out for him as well. Sort of like MT for PK when he was on AC.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Plekasuares advocated that he be brought up, I brought up some context as to why maybe it didn’t happen that way.

I clearly indicated what my sources were, as I know that some posters on here would storm the ramparts to defend a player they hold dear, and one who we base a lot of our hope on.

It’s not hearsay and rumour. I erased my recording of the Pittsburgh game, during which this concern was brought up twice, once by François Gagnon, once by someone else. Clearly, they have a source they trust in the organization, or an observer close to the Bulldogs, who gave them this information. If you doubt this, there are a couple of websites that archive RDS broadcasts of Canadiens games, feel free to check it out. Again, 90% sure it was during the Pittsburgh broadcast, if not it was Detroit, pretty sure it wasn’t last night’s.

I’m not “piling on” Nathan Beaulieu, but I do have strong reservations about the player. When he was drafted we marveled that he ‘fell’ to us, and wondered why. I’m not so puzzled anymore, I suspect that there were red flags that were uncovered during due diligence or the interview process that made teams think twice. I hope that he can turn things around and figure it out, I want him to become the powerplay weapon he can become.

Note that I don’t “pile on” Alex Galchenyuk, Mike McCarron, Jarred Tinordi, … Those guys work hard and keep their nose clean, which is all you can ask of a young player.

Finally, you would think that Gerard Gallant, being Nathan’s former head coach with the Sea Dogs, would be his biggest champion, his advocate, but somehow that’s not enough to earn Nathan another callup. Is it possible he agrees that Nathan isn’t ready yet? I’ll allow that this last point is conjecture, but it’s something I’ve thought about recently.

• D Mex says:

Ronn :
          I get from your comments here that you may be a strong supporter of Beaulieu. Fair enough – he certainly has the tools.

You probably recall comments at the 2011 draft that Beaulieu slid in the first round until the Habs finally grabbed him at #11 – wondering if you think that may have been linked to the off-ice stories that seem to follow him around. :?:

ALWAYS Habs –
          D Mex

• D Mex says:

Sorry – he was selected at #17 …

ALWAYS Habs –
            D Mex

• Maritime Ronn says:

Hey Mex
            It’s not a question of being a strong supporter.
            It’s a question of people spreading junk about players based on reporters, media reports or writing War and Peace novels about legal situations where they were not present or have no clue about what transpired.

Some may pretend to be in the know and try to impress, when the reality is they know nothing about the inner workings of a pro organization or individuals involved.
            They speculate based on junk info or internet rumor or a chance encounter with a stick boy.

• Ron says:

D, when Nate was drafted in 2011 he was still playing in the Q here in Saint John. There were never any bad attitude or off-ice stories you speak of during that time. The off ice issues were from 2013. Nate was always a good person in the community during his stay here from 2008 to 2012. Got along with team mates and class mates at school. Why he slipped is for the pundits.

• D Mex says:

Again – fair enough.

I’d still be interested in hearing your thoughts about his ‘ slide ‘ at the draft in 2011, and whether it’s linked to the stories that have a habit of surfacing about #40.

Honest question.

ALWAYS Habs –
            D Mex

• Ron says:

D did you read what I had posted here about his 2011 draft or is your last question for Maritime Ronn ?

• D Mex says:

Ron :
            It was intended for Ronn – yours and mine passed thru the ether at the same time. Yes – saw your comments – all good.

BTW – this is not me trying to bait or anything of the kind – I really do like the potential that Beaulieu has, but that doesn’t prevent me from recognizing the ‘ coincidental ‘ aspect of his remaining in Hamilton despite performing nicely before the Olympic break.

Hasta luego !

ALWAYS Habs –
            D Mex

• Ron says:

During that same Oly break the Tinman had an excellant break through in his play in Hamilton, most likely his best performance. With the problem of the roster amount only allowing a call up I think his paly warrented the chance. I think both will be here come playoffs.

So I think Bergevin is done as far as trades/moves go. Last year he got Drewiske at the trade deadline, and this year he is sending him down. Good year’s worth of work.

17. D Mex says:

Habs hopeful (Kesler ;-)) being interviewed now …

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

18. johnnylarue says:

Gotta say it’s pretty gratifying seeing the Sens wearing giant zeroes on their chests…

19. Ozmodiar says:

Winter Classic thoughts:
    – the uniform colors are to similar for my liking
    – torts – looks like The Fonz stole Ralph Malph’s jacket
    – andi petrillo looks bored sitting by herself behind the Ottawa net. perhaps some west coast HiO’ers can drop in and keep her company.
    – pat quinn / kirk mclean exchange: KM: “watch your step, don’t fall” PQ: “don’t worry. I can get up. I’m not Hitchcock.”

• CJ says:

Ottawa, dominated for fifteen minutes scores a brutal, fluke goal, which has changed the complexion of the game. Remind anyone of anything? Hint, it appeared on CBC last night at 7pm.

20. Habcouver says:

Bieksa scores!
    Wrong team.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

21. Un Canadien errant says:

People, we need to view and understand ‘scrotchland’ as performance art. I think his tirades are bang on. He eschews punctuation or logic to make a point. Imitation is the sincerest form of mockery.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• Ozmodiar says:

+ 1

———————————————————————–
      My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• D Mex says:

If you say so, UCE.
      For me, the true value of his posts is found in the retorts from others here who value the notions of spelling, punctuation and coherence …

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

22. Haberoooo13 says:

As a Hab fan in Ottawa, I love this line from the Mule on Neil
    Franzen then added: “It’s like me asking him to be a good hockey player.”
    Lafleur coming out rather gingerly…

23. Psycho29 says:

I posted this earlier, but it seemed to disappear:

How blessed are we in Montreal? The Canucks had to bring out guys who LOST a Stanley Cup…

24. Chris says:

Good afternoon for me…Guelph beats the Soo 4-3 in a shootout while London sees their 9 game winning streak ended by a 3-1 loss to Peterborough.

No Habs prospects playing today in the OHL.

Robbie Fabbri’s stock must be soaring right now…41 goals in his draft year, Fabbri has got NHL speed and hands. He’s a little undersized (listed as 5’10”, 165 pounds on the OHL site, I suspect he is closer to 175 pounds now), but he should be an intriguing prospect for a team later in the first round.

• Haberoooo13 says:

McCarron didn’t play?

Lafleur coming out rather gingerly…

• Chris says:

Whoops…forgot about McCarron. He played. No points on the London goal.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Chris, I watched him on Friday against Owen Sound, confirmed that he plays centre now, he won quite a few of his faceoffs, when the Sportsnet director wasn’t asleep at the switch and made us miss them. He seemed engaged, wanted the puck, banged his stick asking for it on a number of occasions. I wasn’t blown away, but what I saw was more in line with some of the more favourable reviews we’ve been getting lately.

Any thoughts or comments?

25. GL says:

As long as the Habs get better every year. I am all for what ever MB does …

26. Mavid is a Canadian and Golden Price is OUR MAN says:

Vancouver’s uniform are very interesting..I quite like them..the Sens one has a giant zero on them how appropriate..GO CANUCKS GO

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

27. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

If Markov gets signed, then I would like to see MB make a move for a large, mean RH D-man to play with Markov or Gorges. Posters have been calling for Erik Gudbranson which is an excellent idea. I would use Emelin (since he is signed) and etc. to get him. The D can’t have a glut anymore on the left side. The team has been winning but Price and Budaj have been bailing them out.

• DipsyDoodler says:

You can’t “make a move” for Gudbranson.

There’s an old joke in economics. During Econ 101 one of the students raises their hand and says “Prof, there’s a $100 bill on the lawn outside the classroom”.

Prof says “That’s not possible. If there was $100 bill on the lawn someone would have already picked it up.”

(You can’t beat the market, is the moral of the story).

If all you needed to get another team’s star player was to “make a move” that star player would already be gone.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Tyler Myers is reported to be available. He is 6’8″ plays RD (and a righ handed shot) playing horribly signed 5 more years at 5.5 mill…. Very risky….

• boonie says:

The asking price might be high, but I’d try to land him. $5m won’t seem that high as the cap rises and he has shown ability at this level.

If Eller and a 2nd or third would do it, count me in.

• Habfan17 says:

If Markov gets signed I would think Gorges or Emelin would get traded during the off season. Beaulieu has shown he is comfortable on the right side and Tinordi will hopefully make the team next season. I would keep Murray if he would sign for one season.
      Then Nygren and Pateryn may push for the 3rd pairing on the right side.

Habfan17

28. toinz says:

Given that the Sabres just got 2 first rounders and a roster player AND a prospect for Miller and Ott, I just don’t see Bergevin paying that high a price for anybody that is available out there.

29. D Mex says:

Search no further – PJ Stock is at BC Place with HNIC :
    ” … whereas the 3rd and 4th line guys, their game is much more simpler (sic) … ”
    Is it too late to deny he’s from Montréal ?

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

30. careysubban3176 says:

So if Drewiski does clear waivers and goes to Hamilton, will the Habs call up beaulieu for road trip

31. thebonscott says:

If Drewiske clears, and he might, then that allows MB to keep him there for the rest of the year, and not worry about depleteing hamilton too much when he brings up one of their d-men, and possibly moves out one of the current players. Really Drewiske has a lot of playing to do, to get back in form, and be ready for camp next fall. And if he doesn’t clear?, well was worth a shot, not a huge loss. Don’t get me wrong, I like Drewiske, think he could be a good depth guy, 7th d-man.

C’mon guys this is not rocket surgery!!!!

32. Chris says:

Decent OHL game this afternoon between the Soo Greyhounds and the Guelph Storm. Guelph tied the score (2-2) on a late PP after scoring a short-handed goal earlier in the second. Guelph was absolutely flying in the second period.

They were showing the potential playoff bracket in the Western Conference. If the playoffs started today, it would be:

(1) Guelph – (8) Plymouth
    (2) Sault Ste. Marie – (7) Owen Sound
    (3) Erie – (6) Saginaw
    (4) London – (5) Windsor

Whoever gets Windsor in the first round is facing a very tough out, even though the Spitfires haven’t been playing well lately. But after that, it is just one super nasty run to get to the OHL finals this year.

33. DipsyDoodler says:

What a lost opportunity at the centennial classic.

Surely, the Canucks should have worn these classic uniforms.

34. habsfan999 says:

The CBC should look at firing Bob Cole – on a few occasions last night he slipped up and showed some respect and even admiration for the Habs.

And while I’m here…

“trade Markhov, trade Eller, trade Desharnais…” remind me not to share a bunker with Habs fans after an apocalypse, they’ll be voting for cannibalism when there’s still rice and beans in the larder.

• Strummer says:

The big lie on here is that CBC is pro-Leaf and anti-Hab.

The big lie- say it enough and it catches on.
      ______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

35. Je ne comprends pas says:

My plea to MB.
    The deadline is looming and with the future being shortened the time to act is now.
    Leverage what you have and make a push for the playoffs and of course Stanley.
    Then we can all die happy.

36. CJ says:

Down to the nitty gritty in DC….

37. Lafleurguy says:

@Dunboyne: Last night, Real Sports Bar and Grill wouldn’t have been as relaxed as the day we watched the Golden Girls win with dogged determination.

38. habs001 says:

Some posters are so funny with their measuring stick games..The reality is if the Habs make the playoffs their first round series will not be influenced by their so called measuring stick games in the regular season…Whoever they play in the first round they will be tight games and will be decided by luck and breaks..I can envision 4 to 5 first round games the Habs play going into overtime …They will be outplayed in many of these games but i can see them winning like they did a few years ago vs Washington but things can also go wrong very fast if you are constantly hanging on and going into overtime so a fast exit would not be a suprise…

39. Mavid is a Canadian and Golden Price is OUR MAN says:

Sorry this is not hockey related, but I wanted to talk a little about my Niece, she is a firefighter for the city of Toronto. Global Fire selected her to go to the Philippines. She will be training in first aid and CPR, after fundraising all the money for her trip, she is now there. Three months after the typhoon the devastation is unbelievable..and yet in her pictures and video the people of Philippines are still smiling and are thankful. We have no idea how lucky we really are..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

Thank you for sharing Mavid. Perspective is always appreciated. Cheers, CJ

• Maritime Ronn says:

Hi Mavid

You have always been an Ace on HIO.
      There should never be a “Sorry” in your posts.

Yea,…. most of us just go ‘hockey talk’ all the time, yet behind every moniker is a real human being experiencing life situations.
      BRAVO to your niece!

…by the way, perhaps most of us are feeling as if we are growing up with your grandchild as you post the different pics.
      Please don’t stop…

• deerehab says:

Has anyone kept track of how many games Subban has been responsible for the loss? The Houle era put us so far behind. Players need time in AHL to learn the game

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

Thank you for your unique perspective. Always good to be reminded of the veritable wealth of luxuries we enjoy in this country. Also nice to reminded of the resiliency of the human spirit! Read you often, and I am a fan. Very Best Regards,

Do the math……..7 x 6 = 42…Love our PK!
      24 cups and counting….

• Habcouver says:

Amen. :)

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

40. Phil C says:

In four years we’ll be saying remember when we had Subban AND Markov? That was so awesome. And we had Gallagher, Galchenyuk, and Eller on cheap contracts? And Plekanec and Pacioretty were in their prime? And Price just won the gold? That was such a great opportunity to make a Cup run. The East was wide open then, now no one can touch Buffalo….

• mdp2011 says:

I agree with the 1st part of your comment about the East being wide open and the time for the Habs to try to take advantage is now. But, it will take the Sabres a lot more than 4 years to be competitive. See Oilers, Edmonton.

• JUST ME says:

Future is anything but promissing in Buffalo. Have you seen anything in the last years,months,days that tells you that things will change ? This will be an AHL team for ages and by the time some kids are mature enough they will be traded away. As much as i would like to have your enthousiasm about that team, there are way too may question marks in the cards.

• Price07 says:

You need a goalie to be good. The sabres don’t have a goalie. They also have a lot of good prospects but are any really elite? I don’t think so. But the amount of picks they have over the next couple years is scary! And that’s why I approve of their way of doing things and that’s why I would like to do some sort of similar plan ie. trading older players for picks.

I can guarantee you this team, right now, with Subban and Markov aren’t winning anything. Their defense is nothing to be too proud of (defensively) and their offense doesn’t scare any top teams. When you have Desharnais as your number one centre and you basically only have one productive line, how the hell are you gonna beat the Blues, Ducks, Hawks, Pens, Kings etc in a 7 game series?

• Phil C says:

All the top teams you mention except Pittsburgh are in the West. You only have to face them in the final. I would take my chances against any of those western teams because any team coming out of the West will have played 3 very tough playoff rounds and could be beat up, just like Vancouver in 2011.

As for Pittsburgh, they still have Fleury in net, so they are beatable. They still don’t have anyone to play on the wing with Crosby, their 3rd line sucks, they will likely be missing Letang, and Martin will be coming back from a long absence. They are not that scary right now like the Western teams.

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi phil

Way too premature to believe Buff will become an untouchable team in the year…2018.
      Somehow there is a belief from here that more can go wrong than right in that scenario.

GMTM is a very good hockey man, yet that place has been an NHL version of Chuck Barris’s Gong Show for a long time.
      Now that Lafontaine is gone, let’s see who he replaces Nolan with come post Cup playoffs.

• Phil C says:

Who knows about Buffalo. My point is in four years who knows what is going to happen. This year may be as good of a shot as any.

As for Buffalo, the Ducks drafted Getzlaff and Perry in 2003, Ryan in 2005, and won the Cup in 2007. Pittsburgh draft Malkin, Crosby, and Staal from 2004-2006 and won the Cup in 2009. Chicago drafted Toews and Kane in 2007/2008 and won the a Cup in 2010. Buffalo will he drafting early and often in the next two years. They already have some nice prospects in Girgensons, Grigorenko, Zadorov,Ristolainen, some nice young players in Myers and Hodgson. If they happen to land some top flight talent, it is possible.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Phil

Anaheim doesn’t win the Cup without Pronger/Neidermayer.
        Pitt doesn’t win the Cup without Guerin
        Hawks don’t win the Cup without Hossa

Bruins only had 4 original draft picks when they won the Cup.
        Everthing else was traded for, or signed as a UFA.
        Same goes with LA.

41. Danno says:

Dale Weise is one tough hombre.

Take a look at his battle scar…

Yikes!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

42. ProHabs says:

What has happened to the bigg ba$turd the Leafs drafted a couple of years ago Tyler Biggs. Is he going to be an NHLer or is he a flop.

43. fastfreddy says:

If MB want’s to build through the draft, the the smart move would be to trade Markov now. Get most for value.
    CH = Les Glorieux!!!

44. CJ says:

To the comments below regarding Beaulieu and Tinordi, I would agree that Nate is currently ahead in every category but one…. maturity. That carries a lot of weight IMO. Montreal is not Phoenix or Columbus. You need a unique resolve to withstand the pressure, the hockey culture, the scrutiny. In this respect Tinordi, IMO, is much further ahead, very likely having benefitted from time with the Hunter’s in London and a father who played an entire career at the top level.

The only thing holding Nate back right now is Nate. He will get his chance again, soon enough. That IMO, should be his area of focus.

• Habcouver says:

CJ, who you cheering for in The Classic today?
      I’m leaning toward the Sens because of the Luongo snub.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• CJ says:

The Sens, if only to see what Melynk forces Murray to do at the deadline. Lots of chatter here in the city. The Capitals Flyers game today has been full value. The Heritage Classic likely won’t be one for the DVD collection. I will put it on PVR, as I’m going to be flipping from the Honda classic. Go Rory!

• Just a Habs Fan says:

Out of a huge interest can you please tell me how you could know not one of these players that well but both….astounding what conclusions can be offered here. Now for me I’d like to allow the Team headed by MB to make these decisions.

• CJ says:

I don’t know either player personally, nor do I pretend to. Sorry, based on interviews, reports, and general information, Tinordi seems more mature. Nate seems to struggle. I base this on the information available, but maybe I’m wrong? What are your thoughts on the subject. I welcome the opportunity to discuss further. Cheers, CJ

• Chris says:

One thing that always gets under my skin a bit is how much credit players get for playing for the London Knights and the Hunters.

As somebody who watches a lot of OHL, I just want to point out that the Hunters are not even close to being known as good disciplinary coaches. If you look at the Knights teams of the past few years, they have graduated more than a few players with maturity issues: Patrick Kane, Sergei Kostitsyn, Corey Perry, Rob Schremp, Steve Mason, and Nazem Kadri have all been criticised for their maturity at various points in their careers, and all were star proteges of the Hunters in London.

The Knights do a lot of things well. The big arena exposes their kids to the closest experience to an NHL arena that you can find in junior hockey. Their teams are frequently in the championship hunt.

But one thing that clearly filters down from the top is that a lot of the Knights players are idiots on and off the ice. Hunter is an egomaniac, and I’m not sure that his example has been as sterling as many make it out to be.

The Knights do better at getting NHL prospects because they are able to “convince” a lot of people to play for them and only them in the OHL (see the example of Max Domi or Patrick Kane). When you’re bringing in guys that are sure-fire NHL prospects at 16 and 17 because those players tell all the other teams they will only play in London, it really does help your program look better than it probably is at developing talent.

• CJ says:

Fair dues. I defer to your knowledge of the Hunter’s and the Knight’s organization. Maybe then Tinordi has matured in spite of his time there? I think a part of maturity is being exposed to big game settings. Both Tinordi and Beaulieu have benefitted from playing at the WJC and Memorial Cup.

45. Price07 says:

I started off as a huge Marc Bergevin fan, and while I still love his charisma (I think that’s important for a GM) I’m really starting to question his decision making. I mean the David Desharnais contract, the trade of Kristo for Thomas seemed questionable, trading for Drewiske seemed like he was just making a deal for the hell of it, even signing Emelin so quickly seemed unnecessary. Signing Danny Briere when that was not only the last thing we needed (another small forward), but the coach obviously isn’t a big fan, seems kind of odd. Also, considering his plan is to build for the future and to build through the draft, I don’t see why you wouldn’t trade Andrei Markov (assuming you can get a good return, which I think you could). This team still needs at least a couple of scoring wingers capable of playing on the first two lines (all the potential wingers to fill this spot from the current system are small) and maybe a mean shutdown defenseman. With such needs, I don’t see how you could justify keeping older players around who won’t be useful to you by the time this team is a contender.

I haven’t given up on Bergevin yet but I’m definitely not as confident as I was at first. Hopefully he proves me wrong in the coming months.

• Habcouver says:

Perhaps I’m rationalizing because I generally approve of MB, but he hasn’t done anything in more recent history that had annoyed me. I like the Weise trade. :)

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• Price07 says:

The Weise trade was not bad but still..you traded away a guy who can play on the power play for a 4th liner…4 liners are generally the easiest type of players to pick up.

• Stimpy007 says:

what is so good about the weise trade? Van got him off waivers? yippee?

Habs had no intension of keeping diaz, they should have traded him last year when he got all those points at the start of the year. Then you would have got something for him.

Price07 is right MB has done nothing yet to impress me but yes he is charismatic, that is likeable.

• CH Marshall says:

I think the bottom line is Molson’s bottom line. Team needs markov to make playoffs, and thus extra cash for Geoff.

• Price07 says:

I agree, but I think it’s dumb. No matter what, this team will make money. And if you give it a couple years of medium results in order to get really good results later, Geoff will more than make up for it. Think about it, there’s a whole generation out there that has never seen a winning habs team, if the habs became a great team again the city would go wild and Geoff could make all the money he wants. Until then, these 1st or 2nd round exits are boring the hell out of me. I actually loved the 2012 flop the most since we got a great player out of it. That’s why to me win or flop seems like the best idea. And its gonna be a lot tougher to build a winner if you keep picking up late round draft picks.

• fastfreddy says:

Totally agree with you!

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

46. showey47 says:

IMO should have been bouillon instead of drewiske on waivers. Davis makes pretty much 1/3rd of the money and is almost 10 years younger. Bouillon is makes 1.5 million to sit in the pressbox while drewiske makes $637,000 and he is also under contract for the same amount next season. That’s a great deal for someone to be a depth dman. I hope he clears and stays with the team but I have my doubts.

• CJ says:

Bouilion would clear waivers, and then gets assigned to Hamilton. His cap hit, at a reduced rate still counts. Drewiski’s cap hit will not count in Hamilton. Plus, it gives other teams a chance to land a younger player, which IMO, is doing the right thing for Davis. Frankie is gone at the end of the year, if not sooner.

Davis could fit in Hamilton, Frankie does not. Just my opinion.

• Sportfan says:

I pray he is gone after this season

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• ABHabsfan says:

Regarding the cap-hit thing, it is my understanding that when a player clears waivers and is sent down the max savings on cap hit is $900K. In Bouillion’s case the entire $900K would off the cap for the Habs and the difference still counts. In Drewiskie’s case the cap savings is his full salary $637K. So the cap savings would be greater if Bouillion cleared and was sent to the Hammer.
        I think that’s how it works anyway. Regardless neither player is likely to play for the Habs again it would seem

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
        Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• CJ says:

Thank you for sharing. I agree about the dollar implication, but my point was essentially more to do with the fact that Bouilion wouldn’t really fit in Hamilton. I hope, in so much as I appreciate what Frankie has done over the years (especially tuning up Tucker), that he is gone by the end of the season, if not sooner. Again, good post. Sorry my original position was not clearer. Cheers, CJ

• Habcouver says:

That’s an excellent point.
      I think DD must need conditioning, so it clearing waivers mandatory?

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

47. Frank2468 says:

I sure MB tried to get something for Drewiske before putting him on waivers. It just seems a waste of a 5th round draft pick is all. I’m sure it clears up some on the cap but not much I’m sure. To bad MB couldn’t recoup the 5th rounder with someone or even a 6th anything. But guess who would want a player that’s been out for year with a banged up shoulder?

• Phil C says:

If he clears waivers then he becomes a good depth player. I think they are waiving him because they need the roster spot, not the capspace.

• Frank2468 says:

How long before he clears waivers and ends up with the dogs? But if they should call him back up doesn’t he have to clear reentry waivers?

• CJ says:

24 hours to clear waivers. Yes, he would be subjected to re entry waivers unless it was an emergency call up.

• Phil C says:

If he is not claimed by tomorrow he remains Habs property. I am going by memory but they no longer have re-entry waivers. There are conditions when he would have to go back on waivers. Something like if he remains on the roster for 30 days or plays 10 games or something like that. Dumont and Blunden had to clear waivers earlier in the season, now they can come up or down without waivers.

48. DipsyDoodler says:

Does anyone know anything about the Leafs? I mean – the team we saw is an utter mess. They constantly turn the puck over, even when under no pressure. They’re all over the place.

I looked at the Marlies lineup and it doesn’t look like there are any prospects down there.

Good old Brian Burke.

• CH Marshall says:

I have regular conversation with hard-core leafs fans who are season ticket holders to both bigbclub and marries. In a nutshell, they’re all enraged about Carlyle the way some of us (including me) are on here, that they should be playing a style and system more suited to their speed, that Carlyle has a problem with Jake gardiner the way MT has a beef with PK etc etc. Same sh*T different team lol

• CJ says:

The Leafs have one of the thinnest prospect pools in the entire league. This is partially due to trading away future assets, including picks (Bolland deal), poor drafting and graduating prospects (Riley, Gardner and Kadri). They are living off of the JVR and Kessel deals right now.

Truth is, they are not a great team. They have 9 wins in the shoot out, and have sustained at least a 2:1 shot against, versus shot total in nearly half their games. Amazingly, they have won a number of these games. It’s a very thin line they are walking. They will go as far as Bernier and Reimer take them.

• PoochHabs says:

For some reason they still scare the hell out of me if we ever face them in the playoffs…

• Chris says:

I think it is a bit unfair to chastise them too far: they have huge holes in their roster, but they remain one of the younger teams in the league. They don’t need a super deep prospect pool because they already have most of the pieces playing at the NHL level.

In terms of prospects, Connor Brown is an underrated guy that could be their Brendan Gallagher. Frederik Gauthier is an excellent power forward prospect, although he is struggling this year in the Q. Gregg McKegg, currently playing with the Marlies, has good potential. And Matt Finn is one of the best defencemen in the CHL this season with the Guelph Storm.

They aren’t deep, but they don’t need to be. The Leafs have the offensive players already in the NHL. They need more role players, and that is an easier role to fill from within than top-3 forwards or top-4 D.

Defence is going to be their big weakness moving forwards.

• CJ says:

Food for thought, Florida is the second oldest team in the league. That is one of the most useless statics in hockey, if only because the difference from top to bottom is approximately 3 years.

Of the names provided, Finn might the only one with potential to be an everyday player. You are correct, they have graduated a number of players. It’s certainly a win now mentality, as evidenced with the trade for Bolland and signing of Clarkson.

• boonie says:

When the average career is about five years, a three year age difference is meaningful.

• CJ says:

There is no correlation though. Take a stab, without looking who are the four youngest and four oldest? Without looking I bet people wouldn’t guess it. I surely wouldn’t, not that this means anything, because others know hockey much better then I do.

• Chris says:

Don’t under-estimate Brown. I’ve watched him live a number of times with Erie and he has impressed the hell out of me every time. He could very easily not make the NHL, but I would not at all be surprised to see him surprise: he’s feisty, he’s a good skater and he has a scoring touch (41 goals and 115 points in 62 games this season after 28 goals last year and 25 in his draft year).

The knock on Brown is his size (5’11” and 170 pounds). But he’s a gamer.

• Chris says:

CJ: As for the average age thing, I agree. But I was referring more to the age of their core players.

Lupul is 30 and Phaneuf is 28. Bozak and Bolland are both 27. After that, you get Kessel and Franson at 26, Bernier and Reimer are 25, JVR is 24, Kadri and Gardiner are 23 and Rielly is 19.

When I say that the Leafs are one of the younger teams in the NHL, I mean that their key players, the guys playing as top-6 forwards, top-4 forwards or #1 goalies, are pretty young compared to other teams fighting for playoff spots.

• CJ says:

Good point Chris. Montreal is really in a great position as our best players are also our youngest players. Even younger then Toronto. In this regard, we likely have one of the youngest core groups in the league. Price, PK, Max, Galley, Chucky, Eller, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Bournival, White are all 26 or younger.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Their D is a mess.

When a team is forced to give a guy like Phaneuf $7M for 7 years, the team is in trouble.

He can’t skate/pivot, and makes multiple D errors and giveaways.
      He is also a complete coward.
      Who did he try and hit last night?
      Gallagher and Desharnais.

If one wants the complete coward picture, all you have to do is replay the last 10 minutes of Game 7 against the Bruins last year.
      Watch when Chara was in front of the net for the tying goal.
      Phaneuf ran away…

One poster remarked about his outstanding Plus/Minus which is comical at best.
      Being on the ice with some combo of Kessel-JVR-Bozak-Lupul will always skew those stats as it does for a guy like Bruins Johnny Boychuk who is the 5th ranked Dman for plus minus in the NHL.

They are also burning another young Dman in Morgan Rielly who should still be playing junior.

• Chris says:

Ron, dismissing the +/- stats of Phaneuf and Gunnarsson this season is a mistake. They really have been very solid for the Leafs. I don’t think you can really say that being on the ice with Kessel-JVR-Bozak-Lupul skews the +/- stats of Phaneuf: Kessel is +4, JVR is +1 and Lupul is -10. Only Bozak, at +9, has a respectable total.

Rielly has 20 points in his rookie season…he’s doing fine. He’s learning on the job, but I don’t think the Leafs had Stanley Cup aspirations. Habs fans are always braying that Therrien should play the kids more. Rielly is learning on the job.

It didn’t hurt countless defencemen before him, and I think he will emerge as a star defenceman. He is that good.

• CJ says:

I agree a Chris regarding Reilly. He will be their best for years to come.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Chris

From here, there is a belief that Rielly has Team Canada potential down the road….yet I have watched him on several occasions, and the young lad is completely lost in his D zone/neitral zone.
          More concerning is he doesn’t seem to ‘get it’ vs. let’s say, a Jacob Trouba

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

You are right Ronn. Even true Leaf fans up here will talk about when Phaneuf turned tail in that game against Boston. People who are honest with themselves know what you are saying is true about the Leaf Captain. Some even criticize Lupul as being too interested in his image and Carlyle is certainly no fan of his. They are a funny team this year. They’ve completely lost the team toughness they displayed last year. Many think Clarkson is a bust too. I am seeing lots of honesty from many Leaf fans up here which is refreshing to be truthful.

Do the math……..7 x 6 = 42…Love our PK!
        24 cups and counting….

• Maritime Ronn says:

As you probably well know, the guys believe this is Lupul’s team…yet are now a little concerned about how he is going about the business such as starting to believe everything written about him.
          I’ll leave it at that….

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

I have heard that the Leaf’s are now Lupul’s team. In my opinion he could never be more than secondary scoring. I don’t believe he is of strong enough character to lead a team. Very selfish type player and certainly not tough enough. He wouldn’t inspire me! I don’t know if there is anyone on that team that could truly be called a leader…Maybe Morgan Reilly one day….

Do the math……..7 x 6 = 42…Love our PK!
            24 cups and counting….

49. jimmy shaker says:

I’m starting my own website called hockey fuzz and my name is going to be pelly ekland, and I’m just going to throw frivolous names against the wall as potential trades and hope something sticks. This eklund guy is a huge jabroni. Apparently MB is looking into acquiring Kesler. Then hits us with more to come, wait and see. Doesn’t seem very hard, I can do that! What a joke this guy is……there is the always evasive “stay tuned”. Come to think of it, have any of his sources or insider tidbits ever materialized into anything? Yawn, and yawn again….why do I even bother going on that site?

Shaker out!

50. The Juice says:

FYI, Price is 26-17-5 (ie. 4 games over .500) not 26-17-9 (at .500)

Huge W last night! Looking forward to the upcoming West Coast Measuring Stick ;)

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”
    Twitter @JohnnytheJuice

51. doug19 says:

I changed my mind keep Markov by a two year contract.
    His ice intelligence is amazing as he won another game for habs Saturday night.
    Imagine if he had Eller or Subban’s body.

• habitunts1 says:

Agreed ! I think a good fair signing for both sides would be between 9-10.5 Mil for 2 years for Markov. His on ice intelligence and respect is so much needed. Watching DD Subban discussing stratagies last night was fun to watch but when Markov came in the picture they all listened intently including Subban. I loved when DD called out Max , Max to bring him in on the conversation. Markov is so respected I love that he wants to stay in Montreal. Georges for Hemsky what ya think Hab fans?

#10

• PoochHabs says:

I’m not sure about that. He made quite a few big gaffes especially the short-handed Leaf goal. He just made up for it…
      He needs to be traded. Two years is two years too much. Let’s get on from this mediocrity and make gutsy moves to help us down the road…Please!

52. boonie says:

Not Hab-specific but Vancouver folks think that Lack’s start today either means (A) he’s being showcased; or (B) the much ballyhooed Lou deal is close Van doesn’t want to risk an injury…

If it’s the latter does anyone see Pitt picking up Lou and Kessler. MAF has been shaky recently and Shero likes to go all-in at this point in the season.

53. DipsyDoodler says:

Re: Murray, I believe the truth is half way between EOTP and H I/O.

On the one hand, Murray is not very good at hockey. Proof of this is that he can’t be on the ice against the other team’s #1. Therrien keeps him away from the better players, but against Toronto he was briefly on the ice against Kessel with the result we know. On the road, out west, I fear the worst.

He’s also not fit. Anyone else notice him leaning on the goal during penalty kills against Pitts? I’ve never seen that.

But on the plus side he’s calm, steady, knows his limitations, and has improved greatly since his first 10 games. Plus he’s a good guy, by most accounts.

But as far as EOTP are concerned, liking Murray is proof that you are ignorant about hockey (a bit like claiming to like literature and naming Dan Brown as one of your favourites). This is over the top.

• doug19 says:

Murray is the Piledriver Pylon. He is a brick wall to run into! Have the habs ever had a player of this kind of ability before? He is great and now in shape.

• DipsyDoodler says:

“kind of ability” – is that a euphemism?

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Maybe “kind of presence” is closer?

And the answer would be, certainly not recently. Hal Gill had similar dimensions but a less bellicose mid-set.

• Mr. Biter says:

At about the 12 min. mark 2nd. period last night Murray alone is keeping 2 leafs behind the Habs net and seconds later with 1 arm sends another Leaf sprawling away from the goal. Not the fastest but defiantly the strongest Hab.

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

54. Chris says:

Watching Jarred Tinordi the past couple of games, I remain a little skeptical about his ability to be a top-4 defenceman. I know he is adjusting (again) to a new position, so his performance should come with a grain of salt.

But I wasn’t all that impressed with his decision making last night, and his skating remains his biggest downside: the “decent enough skater for a big guy” adage probably gets overplayed. He’s a below average NHL skater, so he’s going to have to make up for that lack of speed with strong positioning, something that wasn’t particularly evident to me last night. His defensive game will improve with experience, as strong positioning is helped immeasurably by familiarity with various players and team systems, so I’m not by any means writing him off.

But if it comes to a trade deadline move involving he or Beaulieu, I would argue that Beaulieu has to be far, far ahead of Tinordi on the depth chart, both now and in terms of their respective ceilings.

• CJ says:

Chris, with all due respect he is a good skater. I’ve seen him live and he moves with a very fluid motion. Much like Max, who has excellent speed, big guys appear not to be working as hard, but those long strides get them from A to B quicker.

His positional play will be the biggest area of opportunity going forward. What I’ve liked most over the past three games (very small sample size) is his willingness to engage offensively, hold the line and carry the puck. He did none of the three during his stint in October. His confidence is so much better. In 2-3 years time we will have a monster.

Big guys take longer, and this shouldn’t be misconstrued with where he might end up, but he is much further ahead at this stage of his career then where Chara was at a similar age and experience.

• Maritime Ronn says:

CJ

GM Bergevin is also of the belief that rushing a Dman to the NHL could be disastrous.
        He is on record saying that it is never bad to make a mistake and calling up a Dman too late vs. too early

• CJ says:

I agree with him. Contrary to popular opinion, I agree with the majority of moves Bergevin has made. None of his mistakes will hurt the franchise going forward. Sure, with the value of hindsight things could have gone differently, but overall it’s a very good start.

The next GM who does not make a mistake will be the first. Too many variables to be right more then 75-80% of the time. Even then, because many moves are subjective and/or contingent on moving parts, it’s practically impossible to second guess with a firm understanding of the entire deal, trade, signing, etc.

• monmick says:

For an example of rushing a big D too quickly, see Jared Cowen with the Sens. He has regressed incredibly and, honestly, I am not sure whether he will be able to re-find his game…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• Chris says:

I feel like Cowen has progressed very well. He’s killing penalties, playing almost 21 minutes per game and is contributing a bit of offence.

Tyler Myers from Buffalo is probably the best example of a player who has regressed. I think Cowen, who missed 4 or 5 months last season due to hip injury, is doing fine for 23 years old.

• CJ says:

Cowan is a great example. The one thing I will say in his defence is it’s so hard to play with Karlsson. The Sens have tried everyone with him.

The points Cowan picks up happen to be when he touches the puck before Karlsson creates a scoring play. Otherwise, he is left to hang back and guard the fort. He was terrible against the Wings on Thursday.

• monmick says:

Cowen will likely be a healthy scratch today…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi chris

Tinordi just turned 22 years old, 2 weeks ago.

I don’t know how old you are – or how much you remember about another hulking, huge Dman named Zdeno Chara in his youth, yet at 22 years old back in 1999, Chara had all of 25 NHL games under his belt for the NYI and was playing for the Lowell Lock Monsters in the AHL.

This is far from predicting that Tinordi will morph into the 2nd coming of Chara, yet those big guys need so much more time to get used to their bodies.

Chara had 3 good-to very good seasons with Ottawa between the ages of 24-27 – certainly his last season when he turned 27, yet really came into his own as a dominating force once he joined Boston.

As for where Tinordi falls on the Habs depth chart or where they predict his upside will end up, only the present Habs management knows for sure.

Could he be a potential precious pawn in acquiring a top line forward?
      I guess we’ll all have to wait and see how that pans out.

• Chris says:

When Chara turned 22, he had closer to 60 games of NHL experience (his 22nd birthday was in March of that 1998-99 season), but your point stands.

It took Chara long time to find his game and become an elite NHL defenceman. I don’t see any hope of that from Tinordi, as he simply has no offensive game whatsoever, but I don’t deny that he can’t become a dominant defender as his positioning improves.

I’m just not seeing what others seem to be seeing in Tinordi’s game since the call-up. I have found him pretty much the same as I did back in the fall.

• Phil C says:

I agree its far from guaranteed for Tinordi. His potential is still a wide range from top two to bottom pairing/depth d-man. As others have mentioned, I would not give up on him until he is at least 26.

• JUST ME says:

I think it is too early to tell honestly because he is a big boy still in need of more weight ,mobility and consistency. No need to panic either cause ideally he should stay in the AHL at least another year but in MTL…

If we do graduate him too fast it is then that we will misjudge him cause he sis not get the time to get up to par with the rythm of the AHL to shine as he has ever since in his carreer. It would be a huge error to trade either him or Beaulieu cause those 2 guys although very different in style will have long carreers in the NHL .

I also think that Beaulieu is far ahead but they are so different types of d-men that it would be unfair to say so…

• PoochHabs says:

Let’s not forget he’s also adjusting to playing on his wrong side…hard trying to find your comfort level when things get switched up on you especially at that age. He’ll be fine.

55. BJ says:

Seems like a high price if true. “A proposed deal would send Kesler to the Penguins in exchange for Brandon Sutter, two 2014 draft picks — likely a first- and third-round — and the Canucks’ choice of defensemen Simon Despres or Brian Dumoulin,” Rossi wrote on Saturday.

• Chris says:

Kesler is a legitimate top-6 forward, a guy who has scored 40 goals at the NHL level. There aren’t too many forwards that can lay claim to that total.

His scoring is down, partially due to injuries, but he is still a 25 goal, 50 point forward from the second line in addition to being one of the league’s premier defensive forwards.

More importantly, Kesler is not a rental. He still has two years remaining at a cap hit of $5 M, a very fair value for a player of his ability.

The only question with Kesler is whether he can stay healthy. When healthy, he is a top forward and the return to land him is going to be huge.

56. Habfan10912 says:

Off topic and please accept my apologies but in reading my morning papers I saw a little clip by Bill Madden of the NY Daily News. He says:

At last count there have been 66,000 tickets sold for the Mets-Blue Jays series in Montreal, March 28-29 prompting renewed discussion among MLB officials about the home of the former Expos, particularly in regard to the attendance starved Tampa Bay Rays. Said one MLB operative last week: “Montreal may not be an ideal situation in that they still need a new stadium, but when the Expos were winning, the fans did support them, and right now Montreal looks a whole lot better than Tampa Bay”

• mdp2011 says:

Every year at this time, it kills me that there is no Expos spring training.

• Cal says:

Playing baseball in the Big Owe is, quite frankly, dangerous for the players. The “astro turf” is a cheap thin carpet set atop concrete. It’s a mess. As a fan, there is not one good seat in the house and I’ve been first row even with bag at both first and third base. It’s simply too far away from the action.
      It’s the worst venue ever created for sports. It’s a colossal piece of concrete crap that should be Montreal’s next landfill site.
      Montreal had a chance to build a proper baseball stadium and threw that all away. MLB would be nuts to come back without a baseball park.

57. Dunboyne Mike says:

Hey Dipsy.
    Mr Gullible here.
    Is it true what you said about Gauthier and HIO?!

58. Mattyleg says:

Just want to say that Murray is a great addition to the team.
    He hits hard, and is generally an immovable object either in front of the net or along the boards.

Like Robinson, he doesn’t have to throw them to impose himself. Whenever there is rough-housing after the whistle, he just skates into it and grabs whoever is causing the problems. Generally speaking, they settle right down.

We haven’t had a d-man in a while who could do that, and it’s great to have.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

59. scrotchland says:

habs put a defenseman on waiver.,too bad its not head cheerleader pom pom gorges. when is bergovin going to wake up and make changes starting with the coach. therian is wasting our youth and should be canned.
    This is the worst Habs team I have seen in over 40 years of watching. A disgrase to the franchise.

60. Psycho29 says:

Philly vs Washington on NBC right now. Good action…

61. Psycho29 says:

Not sure if this was posted earlier, a picture of Dale Weise after his injury:

62. Hobie Hansen says:

The Montreal/Boston rivalry has delivered more playoff classics than the Montreal/Toronto rivalry. However, I think much larger amounts of people tune in when the Habs and Leafs play each other than when the Bruins are involved. A win or a loss by either Toronto or Montreal has millions more people either happy or pissed off.

When the Habs score a big goal against the Leafs you’ve got millions of angry people who just despise Montreal getting very upset.

I spent a decade living in and around Toronto and they absolutely worship the Maple Leafs and hate the Canadiens. I lived in Oshawa for a few years, tough blue collar town, and I’ve watched and listened to Leafs fans either celebrate or lose their s*&t when the Habs and Leafs play. Some of the language and derogatory terms Leafs fans use to describe the Canadiens and the city of Montreal was downright ugly. I’ve had Leafs fans threaten me for just being a Habs fan.

Millions of people from bankers, construction workers, teachers, police officers, kids and adults completely detest the Habs!

That’s why when we score a goal, throw a huge hit, win a fight or especially beat them I get such a thrill and say a big: F-YOU TORONTO!!!!!!!

• Paz says:

I like it! Not too classy but it works!

• habitunts1 says:

I’m in the same boat here near Boston. The threats arnt maybe as severe where you were in Toronto but the language is atrocious from Beantown fans. There ignorance runs very deep and wouldnt think twice about lashing out at me for being a loyal Habs fan. I definitely have put myself out there pledging my alegience to the Blue Blanc enrouge. I remember so many times in the Old Garden when the Habs would defeat the B’s I would fear for my life getting home via the subway. Getting beer poured on me wasn’t fun either but seeing them all pissed off was priceless. I love being on the front lines though in enemy territory it tests my loyalty
      GO HABS GO!

#10

• CJ says:

My brother, who lives in Brookline says the same thing. He says most Bruins fans who go to TD Garden are from South Boston or the north end. Totally different crowd at Fenway. Lots of preps in that part of town lol.

• habitunts1 says:

Very true the educated preps don’t really care to much from the Fenway area but the Southy’s and North Enders wear there pride on there sleeves. There Brutal. I love it when a bus load of Habs Fans make it down to Boston I can breathe a sigh of relief I have someone to back me up if need be.

#10

• punkster says:

In this we absolutely agree.

Release the Subbang!!!

• mahabs4life says:

I live in Durham Region as well and for the past 5 years I have been lucky enough to catch a Habs/ Leafs game at the ACC. Let me tell ya, Durham Region or even Southern Ontario is not all Leaf country. You would be surprised at the amount of Habs fans here. Don’t forget all those that left Quebec over years and settled here. That’s why you see such a huge contingent of Hab fans at the ACC and most are within away from Toronto. Leaf fans will tell you, the ACC is much more electric when the Habs come visiting.

63. Paz says:

If I was Bergevin I would call the Capitals for sure.

I would ask about Martin Erat.

• CJ says:

If I’m calling the Capitals, one of the few roster players I want are Carlson or Wilson. They too are going to be buyers. McPhee can’t afford to miss the postseason. His career hangs in the balance. I don’t think I can truly appreciate what they would give up for Markov.

• Paz says:

CJ, lets face it. Markov will not be traded now that we climbed so high in the standings. Bergevin can not make that move any longer.

• Paz says:

I’m talking about Thomas and a 4th round pick for Erat.

Something that gets us a real player to add to our top 9.

Then watch Erat score 10 goals in the last 20 games.

• CJ says:

I agree. I don’t think he will be moved. I’ve resigned myself to hoping he gets no more then two years – Max. I think it’s the wrong move, but who am I.

We need to apply an unconventional approach to a conventional process. This will be a mistake going forward. This is coming from one of the biggest Markov fans around.

• Paz says:

I think this could go all the way to June 30th.

• CJ says:

Hi Paz. Love talking hockey with you friend. I agree, if it’s not done in the next 72 hours, then it goes to the end. Lots of good posts today. Thank you for sharing. Cheers, CJ

• DipsyDoodler says:

I would too. I would ask them : “WTF were you thinking????”

• Mattyleg says:

I thought that 9 out of 10 people who know anything about hockey know that we are crap and shouldn’t be trying to get into the playoffs.

Why would we want to pick up Erat, if that were the case?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

64. ProHabs says:

Murray, Parros, Moen, Prust, White, Bourque, Eller, MaxPac, Weise, Tinordi, Subban.

Is it ever nice to finally have some size and toughness on this team. Not missing the Gainey, Gauthier, Martin days.

65. crane says:

Habs big trade dead line deal last year,is this year big dead line deal. D.D. brought in last year,shipped out this year. amazing

66. Phil C says:

What do the Habs need more, a number three defensemen or another scoring winger? For me they need the defenseman way more. They are masking the hole in the roster by playing Markov and Subban 25+ minutes a game which would be tough to sustain in the war of attrition that is the playoffs. A true #3 d-man could also upgrade the offense if it gave them two reliable pairings in any situation.

In any event, I don’t think they can afford to get both a d-man and a winger at the deadline, so I would be happy with the forwards they have if they can upgrade the D.

• CJ says:

Defencemen way, way more. A solid defence allows you to extend a play in the offensive zone longer without fear of having to fall back into a defensive shell. It would help balance our back end and adjust our pairings. If there was one player I would target who could bring us to the next level it is Shae Weber. IMO, he would have a greater impact on this team then anyone else in the league today. If you can’t land Weber, I’d target Erik Gudbranson.

• 24 Cups says:

I think Montreal is pretty well set in terms of the defense. We may not like the cast of characters but if Drewiske clears waivers the team will have three guys on the depth chart to back up the present regulars.

If the team needs anything it just might be a bit more scoring. MB and MT know how important it is for this team to score first as the Habs are 27-3-2 in that regard. Do they need to swing a trade in that reagrd? I don’t think so as Glachenyuk is now back playing and Briere is warming up for the role that he was brought here to perform. I

If I have any concern it might be the fourth line centre position. Bournival’s status is unknown and he’s still just a rookie. White gets hurt due to his style of play. Briere at centre in the play-offs would be a disaster. It might be best for MB to grab a checking style pivot who can win some faceoffs just in case the needs arises. Someone similar to a Jeff Halpern from a few years ago.

• Phil C says:

I was also concerned about the 4th line centre position but Ryan White’s recent play makes me no longer concerned. He is skating well, winning faceoffs, not taking dumb penalties, and scoring the occasional goal. The line of White, Weise, and Bourival was great recently. White is also right handed which fills a need. He may be a bit injury prone, but I would be willing to roll the dice with him.

• CJ says:

Hi Phil. Good post. The fourth line consisting of White-Weise-Bournival as you noted, was very, very good before Bournival got injuried. Having a healthy team for playoffs will be key. Difference this year is we have some decent depth up and down the roster.

67. Caesar says:

Continuing the comments from last section on Murray. Ever since he took on John Scott and did not do too bad all things considering the pushing and stupid business after a whistle in front of our net has almost disappeared completely.
    This includes the usual suspects on the leafs and that idiot Lucic et al in Boston.
    Any playoff run we go on will need him on the ice and Bouillon on the bench.

68. athanor says:

There was a great quote from Max in that SportsNet story. His comment on Kessel’s breakaway actually conveys some of what the players experience during a game:

““(It was) a behind the back pass that went through maybe two skates, a couple of sticks and ends up right on Kessel’s stick for a breakaway,” marvelled Pacioretty. “I’m right there with Kessel but I don’t even see the puck coming until the last second.” So, he was asked, you didn’t expect it? “No, I don’t think that’s something they practice too often,” he said.”

69. Forum Dog says:

RE-POST from late in the last thread:

If he were available (and by most accounts he is), would Jagr truly be a good fit for the Habs?

There are two sides to this from my perspective:

Side A – He is a big, talented, natural RW with a wealth of experience. He would immediately help the PP and could prove a nice fit on the right side with Galchenyuk and Plekanec. A skilled vet (and Czech) for Plekanec to play off of, and a HOF role model for Galchenyuk to learn from;

Side B – He is too slow to play Montreal’s system. Someone like Gionta is a better fit because of his speed and defensive awareness. Jag’s presence might disrupt the chemistry of the current team at the worst possible time. Not because of his own personality per se, but because the team would have to adjust. He’s a big body, but is by no means a forechecker (or backchecker).

Then there is the question of what they would have to give up to get him. It probably shouldn’t be a high pick or ready-now prospect, but a mid-round pick and/or mid-level prospect (i.e. a Bozon or Collberg) might be worth it.

• habitual says:

Jäger will not put us over the top. No one available will. Let’s go with what we have knowing the experience will continue the development of our young core.

Anyone watching the Habs know why bealieau (spelling?) was sent down, and how tinordi looked last night.

• Forum Dog says:

I think Beaulieu was sent down so he could keep playing during the Olympic break. Tinordi was called up after the break instead of Beaulieu, probably as a way to see how he had adjusted/developed since the start of the season. They have now had a good look at both Beaulieu and Tinordi leading up to the trade deadline and should have a better handle on what they want to do going forward.

Drewiske’s demotion could spell change to the d-corps between now and Wednesday since it opens up another roster spot. I don’t see them recalling Beaulieu unless Tinordi is demoted or one of the current D-men get moved.

• ABHabsfan says:

Re: Beaulieu, I heard on the radio the other day that he was not called back up because since he went down at the Oly break he did not work hard and had a bad attitude towards being demoted. This just what I heard and is not based on anything really substantial, granted.

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
          Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• Forum Dog says:

That’s interesting. I recall reading something he said about his demotion and thinking at the time that it was not all that considerate of his AHL team-mates. If I find the link I’ll post it, but it was something to the effect of “I’d rather not be here”.

• habitual says:

Thanks, both. I hope, AB, the reports of attitude are wrong. We don’t need a diva.

• docketrocket says:

i heard the same thing (second hand) from someone who follows the French media. Let’s hope its not true or soon corrected. That said Tinordi looks good too.

• 24 Cups says:

New Jersey has to make the playoffs. If not, Lou is going to have a lot of egg on his face when the Devils lose their draft pick which just might be in the top ten. Especially seeing they drafted 29th two years ago and for some insane reason didn’t give up that pick. All of this for a player that is now the marquee attraction in the KHL.

Right now, NJ is 3 points back of Philly and Detroit. Columbus and Washington are just ahead of them. Ottawa is on the outside looking in. Three point games and a seven team log jam for a final play-off spot means it will go down to the final weekend of the schedule. Right now New Jersey’s odds of making the play-offs sit at 50% (Montreal is at 95%)

Elias and Clowe are back and NJ has loaded up on veterans such as Jagr and Ryder to help get into the post season. The team has good goaltending and a smsrt coach. Moving Jagr for a 2nd round pick just might mean losing a top ten pick as well as play-off revenue. I figure Jagr has to stay and might even return next year.

• CJ says:

I feel the same way and said something similar yesterday. Lou has a ton of ego. He won’t want to relinquish a lottery pick this year. If anything, they are buyers. I’d try and create a market for Gionta. It’s a hole we could fill from within. I don’t see the team suffering a set back with his loss. We will need the cap relief going forward, and let’s be honest, on the wrong side of 35 and with his numbers in decline, not to mention the injuries, what’s the point of holding on, captaincy aside?

70. Alex says:

My first game at the Bell Centre is in the books, and all I can say is what an experience! The city of Montreal was buzzing on game day, Habs jerseys, shirts, hats on almost everyone you saw. Truly a hockey town, and a real change of pace from where I live in Ottawa. The atmosphere at the game was surreal, it was great to finally experience that first hand. The beer was expensive and the hot dogs were delicious. I cannot wait to go back again.

Now my thoughts on the game, I thought we were awesome in the first period. We controlled the play, had the puck on our sticks for the majority of the period, it was great. The second period was a write off. And we all know how the third period and OT went. The game had its highs and lows, but boy did the building ever explode when Max scored the winner.

Some other thoughts, I am not one to usually criticize David Desharnais to the extent some do. However I did think he stuck out last night, in a bad way. I saw him turn the puck over time and time again and thought he did look out of place. Just my opinion. I thought Tinordi was very solid though, I though he played a well rounded and nice quiet game, some solid time on the penalty kill. With the exception of one turnover that stuck out to me, he was fantastic. Budaj was big when it mattered, and when we needed him most. I would like to see Galchenyuk play more with Plekanec, and get more PP time, he looked good. Markov had his ups and downs, I thought he was so-so, but he did have quite a few turnovers. Subban was awesome, loved his game out there last night. Overall, we got the win and that’s what matters.

Glad you enjoyed your experience at a Montreal home game. Quite the rivalry game you got to enjoy for this rookie trip. Hopefully you can have many more experiences like that, and with the same results for the Habs on the scoreboard.

CHeers!

• Habcouver says:

Congrats Alex!
      I hope you also experienced the Bell hotdog.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• CJ says:

Thank you for sharing the review. Living in Ottawa I echo your comments regarding the atmosphere. I’ve seen preseason games in Montreal with more intensity and a better atmosphere then regular season games at the CTC in Kanata.

Fans that have travelled will tell you, me included, that Ottawa is probably among the dullest crowds in the league.

Anyway, glad to hear you enjoyed! Thanks again. Cheers, CJ

• Alex says:

I find the only time the building in Ottawa is loud is when the Habs or Leafs are playing, and the visiting fans take over the building. Otherwise it is quiet, could not compare it to what I experienced last night. However I went in the playoffs (The game we lost in OT) last year and the Sens fans were pretty loud that night, much to my disappointment.

• CJ says:

They have been better in the playoffs recently. The first game I was at where the fans were loud was game six against the Rangers. The regular season, as you have pointed out, is terrible from a fan experience prospective.

I could honestly hold a conversation with someone across the ice without shouting.

• HUDSONHAB says:

Perspective is everything I guess.
      I thought the first was a stumbling bumbling kind of period with not a lot of actual control of the puck.
      I thought DD was on the puck a lot with some mishandling perhaps.
      And I thought Tinordi mishandled/played the puck poorly at times and was out of position at times as well.
      I don’t always watch for the same things in a game that others are watching for so maybe I didn’t see it the same way as you.

….Hab4life….

• g says:

I live i Toronto, try to make it up to Treal to see the habs at least once a year-haven’t been in three years though:(
      I tell all my hockey fans-you haven’t seen a game till you see a game in Montreal. Love that city. Love the Habs!!

“Long before I ever wore the jersey, I wore the jersey.” Dryden

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

Thank you for your summary. Glad it was a good experience for you. Happy to hear Tinordi was quietly competent in this game. That confirms what I saw too.

Do the math……..7 x 6 = 42…Love our PK!
      24 cups and counting….

• Habfan10912 says:

Great post. Thanks for sharing Alex. Nothing, and I mean nothing, beats a hockey game in Montreal.

Couldn’t agree with you more on Galchenyuk. I’ve been ranting on that topic all season.
      CHeers!

Will be interesting to see if Tokarski is sent back down or actually travel with the team out West. We know Price is travelling with the team west, but I don’t believe he has taken part in a full practise since the Olympics.

Hopefully the nagging injury with Price is mild and they were just being precautionary for the final stretch drive. We are very fortunate that Budaj is our backup, he has proven how invaluable it is to have a backup with real NHL experience.

I’m not so sure Drewiskie clears waivers. Can only imagine how Timo will react to seeing his other favourite pair of DD’s placed on waivers.

73. CJ says:

Bronze! Under review though.

74. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Like to see MB go after Kesler. Big RH centerman with a good contract (2 year 5 mill per). Eller, D prospect, draft pick/s would be fine with me.

• CJ says:

The one strike against Kessler, and it’s a big one, is his health. Further, and I have no basis for this opinion other then rumours, I believe he wants to play in the US. If we are targeting a legit top six, what about a blockbuster for Eric and Jordan Staal? Or Shae Weber. Stability on the back end will lead to more offense.

The proposed deal the Penguins put together for Kessler was huge. I think this offseason Bergevin should put his stamp on this team.

Go big or go home!

• Phil C says:

What would the Habs have to give up to match Pittsburgh’s offer? Something like Eller, Tinordi, a 1st, and a 2nd? Too rich for the Habs I think.

• CJ says:

Absolutely. Big payday for Vancouver.

I suggest Weber, because I think he can be had. I don’t think Nashville is thrilled paying that contract. Montreal has the money, and as the cap continues to grow, the space.

That would vault this franchise forward if the goal was to get better immediately. Otherwise, continue to exercise patience as we build from within.

• Phil C says:

What would it take for Weber? Any rumoured offers?

• CJ says:

Nashville, a small market team would want cap relief. I’m sure the deal would need to include a series of picks and roster players to soften the departure of the face of their franchise.

That’s why I’ve suggested the RFA route. Giving up a first and third to sign Grudbrandon to seven years and $35 million would be totally worth it. The compensation is not worth losing the player for. I would force Florida into paying more then the franchise can afford.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Eller>Sutter
        Pateryn>Despres
        Habs draft picks higher than Pitts darft picks.

Habs can easily make a better deal. If they keep Markov, then they should go for it. Especially with Boston and Pitt’s injuries.

• Garbo says:

Way too overrated – as apparent from the price Pittsburg was reported to have offered.

He is a 20 goal scorer who had one season over 30 and a solid Olympics four years ago, which raised his stock.

Fans in Vancouver can’t wait to see him gone. Not interested in receiving another team’s underachieving, overrated player who’s best years are behind him. We have enough of those of our own.

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

No thanks to Kesler. Injury prone and would cost too much…

Do the math……..7 x 6 = 42…Love our PK!
      24 cups and counting….

75. Strabo says:

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.” Albert Einstein

76. D Man says:

OOOH, the play by play announcers. I guess that settles that.

You can’t be both a Habs and a Leafs fan

77. PoochHabs says:

Budaj has been worth every cent given by the Habs!

78. Mattyleg says:

Uhhh… ooookaaaayyy…

So, what you’re saying (correct me if I’m wrong) is… dress 11 forwards, and just put different people on at different times when Gionta would be on the ice…?

That’s it, right?