Habs head off on crucial final road trip before playoffs

The Canadiens left for New Jersey on Monday after practice, hoping to end their late season slump.

It’s a pivotal week for the Habs, who have struggled defensively and in goal since clinching a playoff spot. They play the Devils Tuesday night (7 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690), the Winnipeg Jets on Thursday and end the regular season in Toronto on Saturday against the Maple Leafs.

“I think the trip comes at a good time for us …where we’ve just had two good practices,” coach Michel Therrien said.

The players had a good attitude during them and the coaching staff did a lot of teaching, Therrien said, adding it’s important that they play the solid hockey they’re able to play.

“We’ve got to get back to our good habits.”

The Canadiens practised at the Bell Centre, where they also had their team photo taken. Colby Armstrong, who has been out with a knee injury, practised on a line with Jeff Halpern and Brandon Prust. When asked about Travis Moen’s status for Tuesday’s game, Therrien said he would reveal his lineup on Tuesday.

“I’m good to go,” Armstrong said after practice. “Hopefully I’m in. I feel good in practice.

“I think one thing we’ve noticed is offensively and defensively we haven’t been supporting each other as well and opening ourselves (up) to be taken advantage of – you see we’re giving up five, six goals a game every once and awhile here down the stretch. So not what we’re supposed to do by any means. We’re supposed to be a stingy tough team to play against.”

The Canadiens plan to call up some players from the Hamilton Bulldogs, who finished their AHL season on Sunday, Therrien said. The Habs will provide more details later Monday.

The lines at practice were: Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta; Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher; Galchenyuk-Eller-Ryder; Prust-Halpern-Armstrong; Moen-Dumont-Blunden; White.

Defence pairings were: Weber-Markov; Bouillon-Subban; Diaz-Gorges; Drewiske-Kaberle.

(Photo by Dario Ayala/The Gazette)

I want the Jets in the play-offs! But we must win tonight and in Winnipeg as well. So the Jets get a point for a tie, but we win in overtime.
    That is just way to much to ask for I know!.
    Winnipeg fans deserve to enjoy at least one round, but the Hab’s deserve to win their division.

2. Frank2468 says:

I hope if the Habs draw the Leafs in the first round they bring their A game. It’s sickening living in the middle of Leaf nation reading and hearing everywhere that they are salivating and bring on the Habs it’s over in 4. Would love nothing better then the Habs to quite down these clowns.

• donmarco says:

The Leafs fans are over confident? Hope their players are too.

• Maksimir says:

That would be awesome but I too live in Leafland and if they did manage to beat the Habs (in any number of games) I wouldn’t be able to bare it.

• veryhabby says:

Frank…I live your pain too. Plus I’m married to a leaf loving husband. He has been praying for the habs in the first round for weeks. Is it just me, or is all the media (and some of it suppose to be national media) only focusing on the Leafs making the playoffs. Like it’s the greatest thing to ever happen in sports.

Maybe I was spoiled for the lsat 9 years that I forgot how horrible it gets when the playoffs come, and if the leafs win some games/series! Funny tho, that my 12 yr old son, who is a Sens fan…ya messed family… is actually excited/happy the leafs made it as he says he has never experienced the “feel” of playoffs in the city. I told him the feel is similar to feeling sick…lol….

• Frank2468 says:

veryhabby you could also say to your son what I say to my daughter when leaf fans go on and she is a Hab fan just like daddy. I tell her don’t worry sweetie this will pass to like bad gas. LOL

• habs-fan-84 says:

I live in Newmarket and work in Oakville…trust me I feel your pain.

It’s been a long time since they were last in, me thinks the fan base hits the panic button after 1 or 2 losses (forgetting how a series is long from over after a loss or two).

Leafs lack veteran leadership for a long playoff run. Habs have the experience.

All I would say is this though, if we’re starting at home, we better get off to a good start in that first period of game 1 – or the fans are going to make it very uncomfortable for the players. Frankly, we’ve been more successful in the playoffs on the road the past decade – so much so, that I think I’d almost rather start on the road again. That said, I’ll still be rooting for a strong finish these last 3 games.

• von says:

Where do you work in Oakville?

_________________________________

“Obviously it would be great, but they don’t really hang conference titles in this rink. They raise Stanley Cup banners.” – Carey Price

• Ian Cobb says:

Frank! Please hesitate using the phrase “Leaf Nation” my friend. I think it is very offensive to the rest of our hockey nation. Sorry for that! just me maybe!

• Frank2468 says:

Sorry Ian guess it’s just habit and brain washing living in Ont. It also bugs me when I see Leaf fans roll out the Canadian flag in blue instead of red. To me thats defacing our national flag and they should be made to stop it.

• The Jackal says:

Oh no laff nation is definitely an offensive term to everyone outside of ON

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• hab fan in leaf jungle says:

I live in TO and have Habs vanity plates. I’ve suffered enough verbal indignities from Leaf fans at traffic lights in the aftermath of the last game so I’d love for the Habs to wipe out the Leafs. However, Leaf fans are morons and I risk getting my car vandalized. With a $500.00 deductible I fear for my wallet.

3. clever.alias says:

Carey Price is 4-1-0 with a 1.61 GAA in his last five starts in New Jersey. As a big believer of Carey Price, if he does play tonight, let’s hope that’s the goaltender that shows up.

4. Habitant in Surrey says:

@UCe

Benoit Pouliot = hilarious :)

I had the same experience when I dated ‘Her’ :)

5. Mr. Biter says:

Sholi2000,
    Just going to wear my Habs Cap and t-shirt on Thursday night as going out the Palomino to celebrate eliminating the Jets after the game(Drinks are on loser as going with a Jet fan). Don’t need to have some drunk take a swing at me after the game as many Jets fans will be upset at as Habs fans which I may add a numerous at any Jet game.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

6. WindsorHab-10 says:

Does anyone think that we will close this season with 3 straight victories? Don’t know why but I feel it.

• Kooch7800 says:

Would be nice. At least a victory against those darn leafs

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Loonie says:

If Winnipeg wins or gets a point tonight they’ll be emptying the tank on Thursday night in their barn.

Gonna be hard to match their intensity.

• Kooch7800 says:

I think the Jets will win that. Man how good is Andrew Ladd right now. Unreal. I want the Jets in. Their fans deserve it

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Loonie says:

If it’s about the fans I think the Islanders are at the top of the most deserving category.

Just my opinion though.

Wouldn’t they be required to have fans in order for it to be about the fans though?

• Loonie says:

Well, they sure have low attendance but are still around the 14k mark on a per game basis.

I think they deserve it because those people have hung in through some dark years.

• johnnylarue says:

I was gonna say, I think pluralizing the word ‘fan’ with regards to the Islanders might be a tad presumptuous…

• Kooch7800 says:

The Islanders will make it and can be very dangerous. They have a lot of fire power up front.

The islanders made the playoffs 5 years ago…it has been longer for the jets fans who haven’t even had a team to cheer for.

I see your point though. I know a couple of Islander fans and talking to them the last few years I am shocked they stuck by their team with their current management

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Habfan10912 says:

Funny stuff. I do know a few Islander fans and they are die-hard. Just not very many of them. It’s a fun team to watch play though.

• Habfan10912 says:

Agree Tom. That’s been part of the problem for us. It seems we lost that edge after clinching a playoff spot.
        I have a buddy who I see occasionally at the gym and he is a Bruin fan. We were talking yesterday and he had the very same theory on his team. Perhaps being on the road will indeed help some. I sense a very simple game from the boys tonight. Gosh, I hope Carey has a solid game.

• Seps says:

Maybe because they’re so worn down from the short season the “clinching x” has an even higher effect on play than it normally would have.

• Habfan10912 says:

Could be Seps plus MT hasn’t done the greatest job managing ice time among some of the veterans.

• Seps says:

I definitely agree on that there, for one I don’t think Markov’s minutes should hit 20 on any given night.

• Seps says:

I wouldn’t even mind them beating us if it gets them in, so long as we’re not in division contention. But very likely Ottawa loses atleast 2 of their last 3.

7. Seps says:

So I gotta think that if Ottawa misses the playoffs, it basically hands Therrien the Jack Adams? Also, if Ottawa barely squeezes into 8th does their season still look as impressive? Or would the Habs season look better?

• Kooch7800 says:

Adam Oates is in the talks now for it for the turn around of Ovie and the Caps. If the Canadiens begin to slide and the Caps make it I could see Oates getting it over MT.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Seps says:

Oh true, so I guess that means no matter what there’s a contender right there with Therrien.

• The Jackal says:

So Goates makes one good choice switching OV to RW and now he is coach of the year talk? C’mon, MT brought a team from 15th to 2nd or 4th (we’ll see), with a less talented roster than the Caps have. He squeezed a lot of success and turned the ship around in half a season. That is way more admirable than Oates’ stint as coach.

Say what you will about the swarm being exposed – it is…. but we’re respectable and tough to play against after being a joke sideshow last year. IMO, the award is between MT and Maclean – that is a choice I can’t make but those two are the only serious candidates.

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

Given Chicago is having a near record season, not sure Quennville should be discounted. There is always a number of excellent candidates, hopefully Habs play this last week well and MT is also nominated.

• Chris says:

MacLean is still my pick. Ottawa shouldn’t even be in the picture after losing Spezza (40 games), Karlsson (35 games), Michalek (25 games), Jared Cowen (41 games) and Anderson (15 or so games). But he probably won’t get the vote.

No team in the NHL suffered as significant of injuries as Ottawa did this year when you factor in the talent level they had to work with.

After that, you have to look at Boudreau in Anaheim as pretty much a lock. Anaheim only finished 2 points up on Montreal last season, and is sitting 5 points clear this season. If somebody is getting the “turnaround team of the year vote”, it will be Boudreau following Montreal’s collapse.

One or both of Quenneville and Bylsma have to be considered based on dominating the league. Bylsma gets an extra edge for doing it despite rampant injuries ravaging that roster yet again.

Finally, the guy that is often being left out of these discussions is Jack Capuano in Long Island. The Islanders have FINALLY turned the corner and are actually in a dog-fight with the resurgent Rangers and the Leafs for the 5th seed in the playoffs. (And to be honest, I hate all 3 of those match-ups, but the Rangers would be my pick). The Islanders don’t get the benefit of the weak Southeast division to make the playoffs…they are actually one point up on the Capitals at the moment.

Oates will get some love, as will Therrien. And I don’t think Vigneault should be discounted either given the turmoil surrounding that team.

8. Un Canadien errant says:

HFS72 replied to my post below with various comparisons of current or former Canadiens and what girl they would compare to. I’m not coming up with any offhand, but did post this a couple summers ago.

*******************

JUNE 27, 2011 AT 7:33 PM

So it’s time we give our head a shake.

Benoit Pouliot is like that girl at the bar that is drool-provokingly hot. You somehow end up dancing with her at last call and you don’t seal the deal but you get her number and you’re stoked, and then a couple days later you call her and talk to her when you’re sober and she seems kind of flighty but you remember the yellow dress so you still meet with her later, and things don’t quite go well but now you’re in it so you’ve got to see it through and on the next date she meets you after work and you pick her up and her mascara is kind of goopy and smudged and she wants you to drive her and her friend to this bar she likes and you’re sitting on the patio and spending all your time checking other girls walking by who look like they have their act together and eight margaritas later you have to drive her back to her car and you get there and notice it’s dirty and the registration is expired and she goes in “just to get her wallet” and the interior is full of garbage and dog hair and stained upholstery and now she’s insisting she’s okay to drive home, and you’re telling her no you should take her home and she says okay but first I have to call my friend and she’s sitting in the car talking way too loud with the door open and you’re standing there in the middle of the street with the door open and people are looking at you and finally you get her attention and you get her to hang up and she’s wondering what she’s going to do with her car parked there, and you could maybe get a buddy to come by and drive it home for her but you decide to stay quiet and you guide her to your car and she gets in and now you’re driving her home and all you think about is you hope you can get her there before she throws up in your swish ride and you notice that some of the dog hair is now on the passenger seat and the door, and as you finally get close to her place she says maybe we should go to a pub nearby and you say you can’t you have to work early the next day even though it’s Friday and then you get her home and the place looks kind of dingy and she has this weird roommate or somebody looking at you from the front balcony so you get her on the sidewalk and kind of point her to her walkway and she asks in a bit of an offended tone aren’t you going to come in, but you insist you have an early day tomorrow and she kind of stalks off and she’s swearing at you under her breath but you’re already back at your car and as you drive off you realize you didn’t make another date and you’re free and clear and don’t owe her anything and you feel pretty good about that all of a sudden.

The next weekend you’re at the bar again and you see her and she’s wearing nice jeans and a white tank top and her hair is loose on her shoulders and she’s been tanning you can tell, and your buddy points her out and you tell him: “Dude, you have no idea.”

That’s Benoit Pouliot.

———————————————————————–

9. Skeptical says:

MT if these line’s aren’t good enough for a long playoff run. Get ready for 2013-2014

Pacioretty Plekanec Ryder
    Galchenyuk Eller Gallagher
    Bourque Desharnais Gionta
    Moen/White Halpern Prust.

The poll question today is “Do you think Gionta is a good captain”. I wonder why HIO’s asking?

11. Bripro says:

I know where our Habs will be on June 9th, if not still battling in the playoffs.
    Although personally, I have no worries. I’ve said it before…..
    All the way into June.
    But if by chance they don’t make the final stage, they’ll be sitting on the ape’s tongue at the Stones’ concert.
    At $10,000/seat? Who else can afford it?

• Habfan10912 says:

Holy crap. At $10,000 a seat they should give you whatever Keith Richards is taking that night!

• Kooch7800 says:

That is insane. What a waste of money to watch a band that is probably taking pre & post concert naps. I like the stones but I wouldn’t pay more than 100 bucks to see them at any time

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• wjc says:

If I were you I would be thinking more like May 9th, anything after that is just a bonus.

If you are not convinced, then have the’ suicide hot line’ available and stay away from bridges and tall buildings.

wjc

12. jaymtl514 says:

Just rememeber people, we finished in LAST PLACE last year :)

13. JUST ME says:

Therrien has been saying for a while now that there was no time for practice with this short season . Hopefully they will get to come back to what they use to do so well before. I think that they need to come back to playing the 5 guys in the same zone as much as possible. It does make things simple when you are hustling for the puck,when you are on defense and when you need to use you speed to get out of the zone.

If we are going to make a good run in the playoffs it will be as a team and as a unit .

• Loonie says:

I find that excuse pretty hilarious due to the other twenty-nine teams having similar schedules and in the case of most of those teams, more hectic travel schedules.

• geo_habsgo says:

I think his strategy seems to be banking on having an extra step over the other teams come playoffs. Not sure it would work out that way but I would venture to guess that that is reasoning.

• wjc says:

Loonie, if you can stop laughing long enough, you might realize that 12 did not make the playoffs with another 6 or 7 on the bubble. You may realize that all teams had slumps at one time or another and recovered.

Playing to many games on too many nights causes fatigue (mental and physical), injuries and many back to back games.

So they are all effected not just the team you concentrate all your focus on.

wjc

• Timo says:

The word you are looking for is “pathetic”. This excuse is pathetic. Besides, I thought the mantra was “no excuses”. Did it go the way of meritocracy?

• derfab says:

Agree. The schedule is ridiculous, but they have had plenty of time to practice the simple details of good defensive play and have stopped delivering. Price has let in a few softies but the shortage of big horses on D in particular is the obvious reason this team has hit a wall. More Bulldogs should be in the lineup. Markov and 6 others should sit the last 3.

• wjc says:

Yes, DERFAB, is is all so simple……so damn simple…..so simple for you but the players and coaches do not get it. They think it is hard to stop a richoching puck going 100 miles another.

Everything is so simple that every team should win everygame thus never having a losing team…..because it is so damn simple.

30 Teams should win the cup each and every year with no losers, because it is so SIMPLE

wjc

14. von says:

I hope Tinordi draws back into the lineup. Nothing against Weber, but I think a big body presence is more of a need for right now and heading into the playoffs.

_________________________________

• Kooch7800 says:

Tinordi is a big body but doesn’t play like a big body yet. He needs to fill out a bit and get more confidence/comfortable out there. Drewskie is also a big body who isn’t very physical.

Tinordi is still very young like most of our D prospects

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

15. shootdapuck says:

How does Desmalaise rate so much slack and PP time?
    His output since signing that damn contract is sub zero!

=================================================
    The cranial flatulence of PJ Stock:

“On peut play cette game tres simplement”
    “Le game est tous de hard work”
    ” I have a pet peeve”

16. wjc says:

wjc Needed for playoffs…plenty of booze, many crying towels, a note pad to keep track of who you will blame.

Lists of who to waive, trade, dump, sell, and let go.

Do not forget cheating, refs, conspiracies, tricks and players who did not try in order to get away with their restless wives.

• shootdapuck says:

Thats a Laffs fan kit!

=================================================
      The cranial flatulence of PJ Stock:

“On peut play cette game tres simplement”
      “Le game est tous de hard work”
      ” I have a pet peeve”

• Habfan10912 says:

I’ll pass on taking advise from someone who talked down to us for weeks arguing that Gomez was going to have a big year and preaching how we ALL knew nothing about contract negotiations. Go spew your condescending crap somewhere else.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Testify.

• wjc says:

You still know nothing about contract negotiations…..admit it…..

Gomez did have a big year, he got a $700,000.00 contract on top of his buy out to add to him many multi-milllions of dollars. As a bonus he got to play in a warm climate.

The Canadiens did have a good season as I predicted, but you conveniently forgot to mention.

Maybe you should listen more to those that might be wiser then you.
        As far as the season went I predicted a great season, which you conveniently forgot to mention. Did the players win the CBA.(lost a half a seasons pay)…….hey they all won, including the fans who saved there money during the lockout.

Did they boycott, no……just as I predicted, and you conveniently forgot. Maybe you are the one that is condescending.

Where would you suggest I take my “condescending crap” to informing the uniformed is what I do (even if they do not appeciate it.)

wjc

17. wjc says:

Playoffs was the goal. Everything else is a bonus.

wjc

18. wjc says:

Crucial means in this case winning 1 out of 3.

wjc

19. Hockey I/O quote of the day, from Normand: “Timo has a place in our ecosystem, like a hammerhead shark or the Swamp Ear-burrowing Scorpion, ours is not to question why.”

: )

20. icky pop says:

Playoffs haven’t even started, and I see people posting about dropping out of the first round. A fan has faith in their team. I really don’t understand this mentality. It’s almost like some “fans” want the team to lose. Who knew we would be in the playoffs with two weeks to play? Who knew we would be tied for fourth in the league with three games remaining? Now, who thought the team would have performed all year like they have the past five games. Someone brought up the vintage year of draft ahead, and how the team played their way out of a top five pick. You really want your team to play to lose? If the team was in the bottom five, I doubt anyone would be happy that we are getting a pick. My guess is that everyone would be demanding MB be fired for not turning the team around in a year. But he has shown us that the team will get better, and people are wishing it was worse. Some of the posters here will not be happy until there is a cup. However, I venture to guess that if we won a cup in six games, fans will complain that we should have won in five. Surely if that happened, it would be prices fault ;) . I’m proud of this team, and what they accomplished this year. Little team with big heart. This little team is feeling the effects of the season. It’s not an excuse. It’s something that bergivin will address further outside of acquiring prust and drewiske. I’m sure MB will be the first to apologize for taking the 27th ranked team last year, and make them fourth this year (with three games left). MT has taken this group and made them play bigger then they are. This team gave us a lot to cheer about this year. Now that we have lost a few, he’s being called out, and its being said the team stopped playing for him. There are 25 teams behind us in the schedule, all of which have endured rough patches. I remember rinne being pulled in consecutive games this year, letting in goals early, and being pulled after 10 minutes. But price does it and he sucks, and people are saying that rinne is a better goalie. Their stats over the years are comparable, but rinne has weber. Last year he had sutter as well. Take one big d away from him, and look what you get. A goalie with a losing record. Look what having sutter in Minnesota has done. I realize this isn’t the team habs fans expect, considering 24 Stanley cups (a record that will forever be ours) but you must realize this isn’t the same NHL where your can produce a power house that is able to win a cup five years in a row. The days of dynasties are over. You have a cap to work with, and higher taxes in Quebec doesn’t make it easier to land players. Players HAVE to be payed more to play in Montreal. That is unless you are naive enough to think that every player in the league wants to play in Montreal. I have been a habs fan for 21 years. I have family on the 93 cup. If it wasn’t for Montreal, I don’t think I’d watch hockey anymore. I watch for the habs, good or bad. However if I was to be a player, I don’t think I’d want to play for the habs. Not with these fans. Sorry, but habs fans are brutal. Just as brutal as leaves fans. In closing, I say enjoy the rest of the season, win or lose. Enjoy the playoffs you didn’t think you would watch this year. When they are eliminated, reflect on a great season, and a playoff that no one imagined, and think to yourself, how much better are we going to be in THE FUTURE? Remember, we are in rebuild mode. All the draft picks in the world won’t guarantee you a playoff spot. Just look at Edmonton. Having high picks doesn’t mean your pick will be great a superstar. Just ask Alexander daigle and roman Hamrlik. ( not taking away from hammer, but his career doesn’t scream out first overall).

• habs-fan-84 says:

paragraphs are helpful.

• von says:

Co-signed.

_________________________________

• Great work, read every line. Applause…..Thumbs Up Button Here

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

• ZepFan2 says:

“It’s almost like some “fans” want the team to lose.”

Welcome to HI/O!

———————————————————————-
      Ka is a wheel.

“On we sweep, with threshing oar.
      Our only goal will be the Stanley Cup!” – Danno

For Your Life

• Chris says:

I agree with the sentiment you express.

But I think Pekka Rinne is the wrong example of the point you are trying to make. Yes, he has a losing record this season. But he’s basically the only reason they are even respecatable. Shea Weber got off to a terrible start. They lost Suter, Kostitsyn and Radulov from last season’s team. Their roster this season is basically a collection of minor leaguers and youngsters.

The Predators have scored the second fewest goals in the NHL this season, and they average the fewest shots per game. That team has an anemic offence, as it pretty much has for years. What has held them together was defence and strong goaltending. A 2.42 GAA and 0.911 SV% is very respectable given that this is Rinne’s worse year since 2009-10.

Since becoming the full time starters (Rinne in 2008-09, Price in 2007-08):

Pekka Rinne – 289 GP, 151-87-34, 30 SO, 2.36 GAA, 0.920 SV%

Carey Price – 308 GP, 144-116-39, 19 SO, 2.56 GAA, 0.915 SV%

In no category is Price ahead of Rinne. The differences are not that great, but they rarely are over these types of time scales. But they are significant enough to separate a truly elite goaltender (Rinne) from a good goaltender (Price). Rinne’s teams have often been offensively challenged, forcing more pressure onto the defence and goaltender to not concede any goals. Price, to his credit, has also played for some offensively starved teams in the biggest pressure cooker in hockey, but he’s also enjoyed some offensively gifted teams (2nd in 2007-08, 6th this season, 13th in 2008-09).

Throw in Henrik Lundqvist (since 2005-06, which includes the scoring blitz of the first couple of post-lockout years), who for my money is the best in the game over the same time period:

Henrik Lundqvist – 508 GP, 274-170-57, 44 SO, 2.26 GAA, 0.920 SV%

Lundqvist is head and shoulders above the other two. His teams have only twice finished in the top half of the league in goals for (14th in 2005-06 and 11th in 2011-12), but they have never finished worse than 10th in goals against. And that is despite working in one of the youngest defence corps in the NHL over the past few seasons (where they have finished 5th, 3rd and are on pace to finish 4th again this season).

The similarity between the three is that none has carried his team to a Stanley Cup finals appearance. Heaven knows that Lundqvist tried last season.

21. Skeptical says:

This road trip is only crucial for home ice advantage. Everything else. Take what may. Gotta go against one of the other 7-teams.

Every team is even starting game one. What happens after is how you play. LA was a fine example last year.

22. habsfan0 says:

Has MT announced his starting goalie for tonight’s game vs the Devils?

Also,is tonight’s Winnipeg Washington game available on tv?

23. We knew months ago that this team isn’t fantastic. It’s improved over last year, but not so much that we have any business fighting for home ice advantage in the playoffs. The team has consistently over-performed and impressed us all — until recently, game in and game out. Their first bit of adversity comes along, and all of a sudden we’re scrapping the bandwagon for parts.

Come on, guys. Teams lose sometimes — badly and repeatedly, even. We’re 4-6 in our last 10. If that’s the worst stretch we have all season, it’s something to celebrate. Let’s let the coaches and sports psychologists worry about the players’ heads, and just enjoy a playoff appearance that seemed miles beyond the realm of possibility just a few months ago.

Tyler Seguin continuing to prove why he looks best in a Bruins uniform. Pure caveman indeed.

25. frontenac1 says:

Hola amigos! Three games to go until new season . Don’t worry the Lads Juices will be flowing. Love the Steeltown 8 re-enforcements.Going out today to get the Playoff Vodka and Heinekens.Best time of the year starts next week.Saludos!

26. L Elle says:

We got Price in a fever, hotter than a pepper sprout
    We’ve been talkin’ ’bout goalies ever since 1917 went out
    I’m goin’ to fight for, and gonna mess around
    Yeah, I’m goin’ to fight a lot, look out Leafie clown

Well, go on get negative, go ahead and wreck your health
    Go play your hand, you big-talkin’ man, make a big fool of yourself
    Yeah, go talk goalies, go admire his hair
    Honey, I’m gonna fight forever, see if I care

When I breeze into HIO, people gonna stoop and bow
    All them women gonna make me teach ‘em what they don’t know how
    I’m goin’ to playoffs, you turn-a loose-a my coat
    ‘Cos I’m goin’ to playoffs, “Goodbye,” that’s all she wrote

But they’ll laugh at you in fightin’,and I’ll be dancin’ on a Leffe keg
    They’ll lead you ’round town like a scalded hound
    With your tail tucked between your legs
    Yeah, go to playoffs,you big-talkin’ man
    And I’ll be waitin’ in Toronto, behind my Jays, I’m a Fan

We got Price in a fever, hotter than a pepper sprout
    We’ve been talkin’ ’bout goalies ever since 1917 went out
    I’m goin’ to playoffs, and that’s a fact
    Yeah, we’re goin’ to playoffs, ain’t never comin’ back

We got Price in a fever, hotter than a pepper sprout
    We’ve been talkin’ ’bout goalies ever since 1917 went out

27. Loonie says:

So the Senators, and their beat writers are upset that Matt Cooke didn’t “answer the bell” for Karlsson’s injury.

I don’t remember Daniel Alfredsson being accused of being a coward after firing a slapshot at Chris Pronger’s face after the final buzzer had sounded in the playoffs a few years back.

It’s my understanding the forensic investigator working for the Senators needed a hair sample of Cooke to finalize his work. Because Cooke wouldn’t engage in a hair pulling fight, the forensic investigator is now back at square one.

• Cal says:

I thought it was hilarious when he dug the puck out for the Pens 3rd goal last night.
      Neil should have been given a major for that charge.
      The most stupid thing is that Ottawa needed 2 points and they went headhunting instead. Idiots.

• Loonie says:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see them miss the playoffs Cal. They’re in the driver’s seat but they have the fewest ROW of the teams lumped together at the bottom of the East.

I expect the Jets to earn at least three points in their next two games. That forces Ottawa to take three points in their next three games against the Capitals, Flyers and Bruins.

• Luke says:

Plus the writer wrote a little ‘waaah’ piece about it too… “he was mean to me! I didn’t ask him anything ‘cuz someone already asked it!” Yah. 1st time a hockey writer has ever decided that a horse had been whipped enough (all due respect to the crew here…). Brennan (I think it was) sure didn’t “answer the bell” for his pieces when he ditched Cooke in the scrum.

• Gerry H says:

It wasn’t Pronger, it was Niedermayer. And it was in the torso, not the face. And it was in the final seconds of the 2nd period.

But I see what you mean! :: :D ::

28. Am I excited? I study nuclear science, I love my classes, I got a crazy teacher, he wears dark glasses, Things are going great, and they’re only getting better, I’m doing all right, getting good grades, The future’s so bright, I gotta wear shades!

7 Days!

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

29. HABZ24 says:

Why hasnt moen been sent to the press box yet,hes stunk out the joint all season and yet plays every game,it puzzles me. Once and for all habs need to address the size issue,we will get pushed around in the playoffs.desharnais is TINY i saw him in shorts and a tshirt at the brossard rink,omg my neice is bigger then him,he should be playing table tennis.gionta has some heart but again… Price i hate to say it is not the elite goalie we wished hed become,hes too calm,never had the warrior fight in him,when he gets down he folds. The core guys are awesome,patchs,eller,gallager,chucky,subban. Hope we can reboot in time for game 1. Go habs go

GO HABS GO

• RetroMikey says:

The team surprised in a shortend 48 game schedule and came out to a quick start.
      Would they still be a top 8 after a 82 regular season schedule?
      My opinion is other teams would play better in the second half like New Jersey or Philly and surpass us.
      Just maybe we could have ended up in the lottery pool a bottom 5 team, it’s going to be a great draft year.
      Was it really worth it to make the playoffs and fall out in the first round or better to get that draft pick?
      We are in year 1 of 5 of a rebuilding plan under Bergevin, where he is building for the “future”.
      We shall see if he is correct.
      But I d o look forward whith Bergy unloading players in blockbuster trades to get clutch players that are big and have grit as well in the summer.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• wjc says:

Who said it was a 5 year rebuilding plan?

Takes two to have a blockbuster trade.

Eight teams will be out first round. 12 teams will miss the playoffs.

Getting to finals is all long shot for a lot of teams. 30 teams competing to be in the top 2.

Sooner then later you have to get rid of top players because you have a salary cap….all the great players in the world would have to be moved to other teams in order to stay below it.

Chances are Subban, Price etc. will be on other teams making their multi-millions. Window of oportunity is only open so long and then…SLAM….you are rebuilding along with another 15 teams

I liked the old system when there were 5 other teams, money was not an issue, and you could stock pile players and have Quebec because of the rules and language.

The good ole days guys like Beliveau, Richard X2 etc. would never leave.

wjc

• RetroMikey says:

In most cases in today’s NHL, a GM has almost 5 years to prove to himself and to his club and fans he is building a team to a Cup contender. That is the case with Bergevin, his team and Dudley’s.
          You like the old system but you have to face the reality where we have a new CBA and the salary cap is in effect.
          Bergevin is rebuilding, he will bring young new prospects merging in with bigger, physical players with grit to their game come in the summer.
          He knows we are weak and small on the D and upfront and you cannot say Price is our future goalie. Goalies have been traded before and just maybe Price will excel elsewhere or be a flop.
          If he does not perform this year, I see Bergevin shopping elsewhere in a blockbuster trade involving Price.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• Les-Habitants says:

There hasn’t really been a chance for Moen to be benched till now. Prust was injured, White was either playing poorly or suspended, and then Armstrong was out. He still does a lot out there, as one of our top PKers, and is a smart, defensive player – so you’d have to have someone who could replace all that. He needs to have that physical edge in his play if he wants to be consistently in the lineup from here on out tho.

• Luke says:

Moen hasn’t been sent to the press box because he hasn’t stunk out the joint all season. I’m not sure what you expect from Moen, but clearly you are not aware of what kind of hockey player he is.

Ah, the call for size! We need bigger, bigGER, BIGGER! Oh, and bench Moen, y’know, that big guy.

DD is smaller than your niece? That’s a large lady there… can she put up ~50pts in the NHL?

Gionta has some heart but again… what? But again… is on pace to score over 25 goals?

Price is not the Elite goalie “we” wished he’d be… well of course not, many of “we” seem only to be content if Price is better than Roy. Y’know, one of the greatest players in the history of goaltending. He’s too calm… yes. Be much better if he was prone to panicing in the nets.

It’s funny that you rip on Gionta… but praise Eller & Galchenyuk. Just for comparison’s sake: Eller & Galchenyuk have score one more goal than Brian Gionta combined this season.

30. Skeptical says:

Fans expectations way too high for this team. except for Ryder, Gallagher, Galchenyuk who did we bring in that produced up front.
    with the players from last year and the Guys mentioned. I would say we had a good year

we made the playoffs a lot of other teams didn’t. I say be happy with this and see if our 2nd season can be as good. two rounds in the playoffs would complete a very good year.

Anyone who expects more is asking for too much.

• PrimeTime says:

+ 1 I would say most fans will agree with this opinion but many of the HIO posters would not. Pre-Playoff anxiety has set in for those who only point to the weaknesses of the Habs. This allows them the ease of “I told you so” when the Habs are eliminated. This somehow validates them when the inevitable happens. This team in still in rebuild mode and not expected to peak in the 1st year of new management. 2-3 years expectations should rise with the sweet spot around 3-5 years. This is when MB will be measured.

Price haters will always hate him no matter any future success. Subconsciously i think they want him to be the next “Gomez” to again for personal validation.

Regular fans cheer the team when winning and trust Management will correct the weaknesses when they’re not. Not every fan lives and breathes the team on every outcome as many HIO posters do.

31. La Duke 16 says:

Josh Gorges = Big Heart, Small Skill.

I really like him as a leader on this team, just wish he was better.

32. coppi928 says:

There’s a reason why MB traded for Ryder, he’s gone at the end of the yr. Gorges should be shopped before the draft, let’s see what he can fetch, if the price is right make the trade. We need size on the back end. If we draft as well as Timmons has the past couple yrs we will have assets to move during the yr to obtain a top four defenceman. DD, Gionta, Moen, shopped saving around 10 mill in cap space, there will be players that can be signed for alot less that will bring more size, grit to the team. I’m also open to the idea of trading Patches only if it’s a hockey trade where we get value back – a young power forward that drives to the net and plays a more physical game.

• Clay says:

Gorges rather high salary likely means we will have no takers.

__________________________
      ☞ Think about little things that are happening. In your mind, just visualize little things, and it’ll help you create the mood that you’re looking for. There we go …” ☜ ~ Bob Ross

• coppi928 says:

I agree but still explore the possibility, maybe a pachage gets it done.

• Hstands4Hockey says:

I hope you’re not serious. Georges would have 29 team lining up.

Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
        @Hstands4Hockey

• Clay says:

I am quite serious. Gorges is vastly overpaid for what he brings to the table. I appreciate him perhaps as much as you do, but I don’t overvalue him.

__________________________

• coppi928 says:

you bet I’m serious, did he have a good yr last yr? the yr before when all our d backed up and clogged the front of the net basically blocking shots. You think next yr he’s going to have a better yr? He’s a 5/6 dman making 3/4 salary. There will some dman available this summer that can be had for 2yr letting our young prospects develop on the farm.

• avi says:

I agree. I would add Markov to the list. His heart is in the right place. He still has the skill and smarts but his legs have abandoned him…through no fault of his own. Trade him for a high draft pick and big defenceman.

• coppi928 says:

I like your thinking, funny I was telling my co-workers after the 3rd game this yr trade Markov now while his value is high, remember he’s a hit away from being done, he’s lost a step and defensively not very good this year

• Maksimir says:

Don’t give up on Patches… he’s young and had to battle a lot of injuries.. give him time. Plus he kind of is the teams leading scorer, eh?

• Clay says:

Kind of :D

__________________________

• Phil C says:

They could use some size on the back end for sure. I hope they can find something in the offseason.

Does every big player have to be a power forward? What’s wrong with Pacioretty putting up almost a point per game playing his style? Craig MacTavish tried to turn Dustin Penner into a power forward. Instead he nearly gave himself an ulcer with frustration. Pat Quinn comes in as coach, lets Penner play his own game and he puts up 32 goals.

I think there is nothing wrong with speedy snipers who know where to find the dangerous parts of the ice. At his cap hit for what he produces, the Habs would be crazy to get rid of him, especially given his age.

33. Steeltown Hab says:

Swap Ryder and Bourque in that lineup, it’s so obvious.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

34. adamkennelly says:

any news on dates for games 1 and 2 – should Habs clinch home ice? we still thinking 4/30 and 5/2 – Tuesday/Thursday?

35. Marc10 says:

Josh Gorges is without his Gill and it shows. Hopefully Tinordi can turn into a more physical version of Big Hal and that problem will be solved… Until then, Josh will have to swim in the deep end a bit longer than we’d like him to.

Man, I hope we win. I hate coming to this site when the haters are in their element. Go Habs Go!

36. HABitual Fan says:

I think Georges is hurt. Has anyone on that team had his head rattled as often as he? He jumps back up and keeps playing…definitely one of the toughest guys in the league.

• Steeltown Hab says:

He has heart, but wouldn’t call him one of the toughest in the league by any stretch.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

37. habzfan2003 says:

Don’t know if anyone’s watching the world under 18 tournament, but Connor McDavid now has 11 pts in 4 games… including a hatrick and an assist in this game vs. Sweden. Who is this kid?

• commandant says:

The OHL rookie of the year who just turned 16 in January and will be eligible for the draft in 2015.

This kid is the next Crosby. Seriously a phenom.

He’s eligible to play in this tourney in 2015 and he’s dominating it in 2013? Ridiculous.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• habs-fan-84 says:

The OHL granted him an exception to play at age 15…should tell you everything you need to know.

• Chris says:

McDavid is right there as the best player I’ve ever seen live in the OHL. I’ve watched Subban, Doughty, Perry, Stamkos, Tavares, etc. and this kid is right there with all of those guys at age 15. He’s special.

Great hands, great speed, great shot, and he’s willing to go into traffic. Nothing to not like about that kid. Whoever lands him in a couple of years is going to have won the lottery in a big, big way.

38. AllHailTheFlower says:

Anyone in the Calgary area with an extra $4 million lying around? You can buy Iginla’s old house (looks like a pretty sweet place, actually)…

39. Steeltown Hab says:

Quote from Pacioretty I read on TSN that really bothers me about his attitude.

“Some of you (reporters) don’t think we work well together but I think we’ve had a good year,” said Pacioretty. “Our minutes are down and we’re helping the team in other ways.

“Our team has a handful of guys who have put up numbers, so it’s not going to be one-sided stats like it was last year. That’s the way everyone wants it. We’re not selfish people. We like it when other guys step up.”

Your helping the team in other ways? Which ways? The PK him and DD don’t play on or the PP they’re not producing on?

Next, “I think we’ve had a good year” if he’s not a bit embarrassed for his soft style of play this year?

“We’re not selfish people” ….I get what he’s trying to say but seriously WTF. Thanks for “allowing” other people to contribute because you’re so unselfish…
    ———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• HabFanSince72 says:

37 pts in 41 games isn’t bad no matter how you look at it.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Not at all, he was referring to him and Desharnais playing together in general this year.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• coppi928 says:

been a Max fan since we drafted him, is it just me or do you not expect more from him, he is the power forward we have longed for so long yet he doesn’t play the part. I see another Pouliot, perimiter player, watched Backes the other day, if Max played like him heck if he played like Gally think of how dominant he would be.

40. Small_Town_Boy says:

I refuse to bash Carey Price. For years the Montreal Canadiens players let Carey down & left him out to dry while doing the best he could.

Last time in the playoffs vs Boston Price played very good & AGAIN his team let him down.

So Carey is having a slump so be it. He will get through it.

Carey has done ok here in Montreal with the pressure that goes with being a goaltender. He is the only goalie since Roy that could handle this circus we call Montreal!

Dat’s wha me tinks

41. Small_Town_Boy says:

These gutless HIO Mods make me sick! They let their favs insult others in here. So much for the HIO rules! Yet some can’t say Squat!

Dat’s wha me tinks

42. habstrinifan says:

Good Morning everyone! Missed all the great posts last night while TV loafing with box of Girl Guide cookies and milk. Did you know Girl Guide cookies are now $5.00 a box… WOW!

Absolutely hilarious post by Monsieur Bellyful.

And I love the Shilo-Sholi feud taking on Hatfield-McCoy proportions.

And UCE’, Chris and Clay contributing in their usual detailed way.

Love this site.

• Habfan10912 says:

There are days during a losing streak where this site can be somewhat painful to visit. We can be very hard on our team and its players. Even this week the Price bashers complained about how they were being treated despite throwing out insults to those that support our goalie. How ironic.
      But even during those days we read a post from Bellyfull or UCE or Burly or read a song lyric from L Ellie or Cal or play a humorist game like yesterdays wonderful, “what would Timo say” and I remember why I enjoy this site so much. I would enjoy it a lot (alot) more if we could sneak out a victory tonight, CHeers.

Hatfield – McCoy, LOL. That is how this place operates. Morning habstrinifan.

• Clay says:

Good morning Jameson :)
      I hope you enjoy the game tomorrow – I will have to watch it when I get home from work.

__________________________

43. ed says:

I am a proud Josh Gorges fan.

• Chris says:

I’ve always thought Gorges is a little over his head in anything but a third pairing/PK specialist role. But in that role, he is fantastic.

He is Montreal’s version of Rob Scuderi, a good, unheralded veteran that just helps his teams win. Scuderi has been an important contributor to two Stanley Cup winning teams and a team that went to the Stanley Cup finals. Like Gorges, he doesn’t hit all that often, but he blocks shots and plays good positional defence.

Gorges is struggling. He doesn’t look as fast this season as past years, which suggests he might be nursing some sort of injury. But he’s a game competitor who is getting exposed along with the rest of his peers by a defensive system that doesn’t help cover up the vulnerabilities of the defence corps.

He is a competitor, I believe he is hurt by the fact the team is lacking other true stay at home Defencemen. In the past with the help of Gill, Spacek and Hamrlik the tough minutes were shared. Now with Emelin gone, the burden falls on an undersized competitor.

He may a bit overpaid, but I rather overpay a guy who bleeds for the team, than a guy who takes nights off.

• Habfan10912 says:

I am a fan too Ed but for whatever reason he’s had a very poor season. Even while the team was doing well he was arguably the teams weakest defenceman. Is there a common denominator here with players who took an active role in the CBA mess having bad seasons?

44. thehammer says:

Is home ice at this point really that important? Won’t a hostile Bell centre be just as bad if not worse for the boys than the ACC? Coming in second would make a big difference but the way I see it if we’re playing the leafs there not much of a difference?

• netninja says:

Honestly, I do not see home ice being an advantage against any team except for the penguins and the caps. I mean lets think about it, every other team in the eastern conference is within a 5-6 hour drive of Montreal. Our fans have outnumbered the home town fans in Ottawa, the island, and even Toronto sometimes, and should we play against Boston or New York I can see a large number of fans making their way out to those games as well.

45. Chris says:

This year’s goaltender who will inevitably crumble due to no playoff experience is James Reimer. This prevailing NHL “logic” actually drives me nuts. We have enough notable examples to know that success despite a lack of previous experience is exactly why we celebrate some goaltenders!

Patrick Roy (1986) – Stanley Cup, Conn Smythe Trophy

Ron Hextall (1987) – Stanley Cup finals, Conn Smythe Trophy

Martin Brodeur (1994) – Conference Finals, taking eventual champion New York Rangers to Game 7

Antti Niemi (2010) – Stanley Cup

Ryan Miller (2006) – Conference finals

Cam Ward (2006) – Stanley Cup

Of course there are tons of goalies that don’t do much in their first playoff experience. But I just can’t fathom the logic of this diss…playoffs are exactly where the clutch goaltenders get their reputation. You can’t actually make a call on how clutch they are until they get there.

It was that first playoff experience that actually made Patrick Roy into a superstar, instead of a middling rookie with little of note on his resume. Ron Hextall burst into the hockey world in 1987 by almost helping the Flyers knock off one of the best teams in league history. Brodeur set up his career by being the coolest of cucumbers on a New Jersey team that shouldn’t have had a chance.

Miller made his name with two straight deep runs behind the talented Sabres that were subsequently blown up, as well as his playoff performances. Cam Ward has only been to the playoffs twice and has a Stanley Cup and a conference finals trip under his belt…THAT is clutch goaltending.

I would argue that people need to give the experience thing a rest. We won’t know how a particular guy does until he actually gets there. Do I think James Reimer is as good as Carey Price? I don’t yet know…there’s not enough regular season data on which to compare the two (there should be after next season).

But I do know that James Reimer is just as likely to get “hot” and play out of his brain for a month as Carey Price. I know this because there is pretty much no rhyme or reason to who gets hot in the playoffs beyond a few key clutch goalies (Roy, Brodeur, Giguere, Ward).

• JF says:

Chris – You could add Jaroslav Halak and Mike Smith, neither of whom had any “pedigree” going into the playoffs, but both of whom performed exceptionally well.

As for James Reimer, I don’t get all the belittling of him that I read here. He is one of the main reasons the Leafs are where they are. He has 18 wins, only two fewer than Carey Price despite missing time with an injury, and a save percentage of .926, which is much better than Price’s. Last game he allowed one goal on 49 shots while his team scored four on about twenty. He may not have the pedigree, but he’s getting the job done, which is more than you can say for Price recently. We won’t know how he does in the playoffs until they happen, but there is no more reason to think he can’t perform there than that anyone else can’t. Habs fans who think facing the Leafs will be easy because Reimer is a “sieve” who can’t control his rebounds should take another look.

• Chris says:

Or Miikka Kiprusoff in 2004, Dwayne Roloson in 2006, Jean-Sebastien Giguere in 2003, Bill Ranford in 1990, etc.

Pedigree gets you to the NHL. What you do once there is largely a crap shoot from year to year.

More and more, I actually think Reimer is the real deal. He had a very good rookie season, but was off in his sophomore year, at least partially explainable due to lamentable treatment of his concussion issue by the Maple Leafs. He has been very, very good this season.

Reimer reminds me of Quick. He gets no respect, even in Toronto who are desperately looking for somebody else (as LA did with Bernier), but he may just end up being the gem in the end.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Heck no, we wouldn’t want to belittle the Leaf goaltender when we can belittle our own. Where’s the fun in that?

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk.

• Clay says:

Why do we have to ‘belittle’ anyone? Can’t we just act like adults and be realistic about the situation?

__________________________

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Well the truth is, we don’t but if we are going to some serious belittling, hey, why not our own? It’s priceless.

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk.

• RonC says:

I like James Reimer as well & believe than we could be in over our heads against the Leafs because of him … I hope not, because losing to the Leafs is a very painful experience, almost as bad as losing to the Bruins. Carey Price makes me nervous … it boggles my mind how he can sometimes be so good, and other times completely fold. Maybe the team has to play as if Budaj were in the nets … ie better defence, shot blocking & not be so confident than he’s going to make the save.

Winnipeg Habsfan

• Chris says:

I think the team should play better regardless of who is in net. They should always be trying to play better defence, blocking shots (although sometimes I worry they do that too much and make the goalies’ jobs harder) and play with an edge, not relying so completely on goaltenders to bail them out.

This is the way that most successful teams play, regardless of who their goaltender is.

• Cal says:

Reimer will do fine this playoff. He has been doing it all year with his team being outshot at an almost 2 to 1 clip.
      The only question is whether or not playoff pressure gets to him.
      Will he be a Cujo type goalie- great for getting you to the dance, but tripping up once there or a Brodeur type- rock solid all the time.

46. jols101 says:

Looking forward to the game tonight. Two days off in this condensed season seems like an eternity.

Habs 4 – Devils 1. Devils score a softy late in the 3rd just to give many of you something to bitch about till the next game.

Go Habs Go!!!

Game Day, Look forward to watching the game tonight. Special Kudos for some entertaining and thoughtful posts last night. Cheers UCe, Bellyfull and many others.

48. Maritime Ron says:

Un Canadien errant writes. “…There is no other goalie in the league that is demonstrably better than Carey Price going forward. If you asked NHL insiders which goalie they’d take to start a new franchise, more than half would probably pick Carey.”
    ——————
    There is no doubt that Carey Price is considered a top tier NHL goalie with huge ‘potential’ that several teams would love to have ( Chicago…), yet today, there are some other talented goalies that would challenge your, ” There is no other goalie in the league that is demonstrably better than Carey Price going forward.”

There is a young 27 year old fella in LA with a Cup ring named Jonathan Quick. Another 27 year old guy in Vancouver by the name of Corey Schneider, and let’s not forget just turned 26 year old Tuukka Rask in Boston, or 24 year old Sergei Bobrovsky in Columbus.

Under the radar screen is the most impressive 23 year old Braden Holtby of Washington who already has a 7 game playoff series win against the then reigning Cup champ Bruins last year. He went on to lose Game 7 against the Rangers after that, yet posted a .935 SP in that Game 7-hardly a meltdown.

That being mentioned, I always enjoyed 2 quotes by former NFL greats that knew a lot about winning and team.
    At the end of the day it really comes down to this:

Bill Parcells.” You are what your record says you are.
    Al Davis. ” Just win, baby.”

• Un Canadien errant says:

I guess I agree with your post, and you with mine. These gentlemen you mention are comparable, but not “demonstrably better.”

If we were to trade away Carey, we’d immediately have to scramble to find another long-term solution at goalie. A few posters point out the deal the Blue Jackets made for Sergei Bobrovsky, but so many other teams make deals that don’t work out, and they’re still searching, like the Lightning did with Anders Lindback, or the Flyers with Ilya Bryzgalov. The Blue Jackets got lucky so far, after a decade of futility in goal.

49. Seps says:

Don’t look now, but Ottawa’s in biiiiiiig trouble. Desperate Washington team, a hit or miss Philly team followed by a final on the road against probably their worst matchup in the NHL. If Winnipeg goes 2-0 big chance Sens don’t make it, I can’t see them winning more than a game out of those three if any. Amidst the suffocation of the buzz from their north (sliding) and south (playoffs, finally) hockey markets, they are doing what Leaf fans refer to as “choking”. Can’t imagine how happy Mavid is right now ;-)

50. Un Canadien errant says:

It’s nice to take a day off from HIO, and see that the insane don’t take over the asylum, there are rock-solid posters on here who can police our enclave and not surrender it to the yammerings of the “I love Scott Gomez” kid, or posters with accounts minutes old.

Some thoughts:

1) Nice “What would Timo say?” contest. I won’t even try to add a late entry, for me the quintessential Timo is the caustic, one phrase rejoinder, the pessimism distilled to scorching acid. I can’t do that, or try to imitate it.

2) Buy out Andrei Markov? My favourite Hab? Maybe the most undervalued, under-recognized Canadien ever? It’s heresy, but even more to the point, for all the myopes on here, it’s would the astounding squander of a precious resource, like burning a winning lottery ticket to stay warm. Andrei may be having a tough few games, and he’s not as mobile and dependable as he once was, but he still has a Bryan Mills-like ‘very particular set of skills’. Skills that other teams would pay highly for. Even if he didn’t fit in with the team anymore, others would slaver at how potent an injection he’d be on their powerplay. If the Red Wings gave a first-rounder for Kyle Quincey, how much would they give for Andrei Markov?

Andrei only has one year left on his contract, and he’ll still be very useful next season, and we wouldn’t be able to replace him in the lineup, not anywhere close. Even if you argue that he’s overpaid cap-wise, it’s still a misuse of the amnesty buyout. You use the amnesty for players who are of no use to you, players like Scott Gomez or Tomas Kaberle, or players with long-running deals they have no hope of providing equivalent value for, players such as Ilya Bryzgalov or, sadly, Vincent Lecavalier, and for who you have to get out from under right now, while the amnesty buyouts are available.

3) Carey Price is our goaltender for the next five years or so, don’t even worry about it or try to come up with fantastic trade proposals to envision a different future. We’re married to him, and for those who haven’t fallen under his spell already, you better learn to love him. There is no other goalie in the league that is demonstrably better than Carey Price going forward. If you asked NHL insiders which goalie they’d take to start a new franchise, more than half would probably pick Carey. So let’s just accept that he’s had a few bad games, but he’ll work out of it, and worry about real holes in our roster.

He’s not Patrick Roy, he’s not Ken Dryden, he’s Carey Price, and that’s plenty good enough.

4) The selection of Matt Cooke as the Penguins’ representative for the Bill Masterton Trophy can be viewed as a protest candidate by the Pittsburgh press corps, in a rebuke to the rest of the league that they don’t just outright the trophy to the currently full-face-shielded Sidney Crosby. Think of Matt Cooke as a modern-day Taro Tsujimoto.

And that’s how it’s done, Jack Edwards. You imbecile.

5) So who’s the Hamilton Bulldog who’s most bummed out right now? Patrick Holland? Zach Stortini? Morgan Ellis? Danny Kristo? Frédéric St-Denis? Probably the latter…

Surprised they didn’t bring in Danny Kristo as well, I thought they’d want him to get the extra weeks of practice in.

6) HIO should have a ‘John Bellyfull Serial Post’ alert.

7) Josh Gorges might be a great guy in the dressing room and a shining example of hard work paying off, but he’s a #5 defenceman who got paid as a #2 defenceman because he was the incumbent #2, who got to be there because we had no option but to play him with P.K., and had no option but to play P.K. as our #1. Let’s call this phenomenon the ‘Maple Leaf effect’.

Pierre Gauthier couldn’t sign him to a reasonable contract rewarding him for his years of service yet respecting the salary structure, and put it off, then later panicked at the prospect of losing him as a UFA and gave him almost $4M/year. That’s too much cake for the role he plays, and the diminishing role he’ll play going forward.

Josh is small and not very tough, not very talented, not good offensively, it’s a weird combination. Most defencemen who find a role as a defensive defenceman tend to be bigger and more physical. Josh is a tweener, a guy who doesn’t fit our mold of what a defenceman should look like and play like. He’s like a baseball pitcher who doesn’t have great velocity, but also doesn’t really have good movement and control of his breaking pitches. He’s the short skinny quarterback who doesn’t have a big arm, but he’s also not accurate or particularly mobile, yet somehow manages to win you games, some of them. So you recognize what he does, but you’re also checking out the waiver wire and the quarterback class coming up in the next draft. He’s that girl who you studied with a couple of times and is real nice, and you kind of find yourself spending a lot of time with and end up with at the restaurant on a Friday night, and now realize you’re on a date. She’s still nice, but your waitress is smoking hot, and so are her coworkers, and twenty customers in the place, and you’re finding it hard not to look around.

———————————————————————–

• clutch73 says:

Great post!

• Seps says:

Well thought out post.

• rhino514 says:

So what salary does Gorges really deserve, then (taking into account his off-ice qualities)?

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…sorry Normand, agree with 90%, as usual …but, I’m a Josh Gorges respecter :)

…You’re right, the price (excuse the term) is half to 3/4 million too high, but He’s part of the puzzle for a winning team

• Maritime Ron says:

Agree with a lot of what you say with the exception of Josh Gorges which is a premature evaluation. Judgement should be reserved until we know if he has been playing hurt this year. Just because his name doesn’t appear on an injured reserve list or in the news does not mean he is 100%.

Some players are true warriors and will try and play through injuries. Others have less of a pain threshold or catch mysterious diseases such as the “Philly Flu” or the “Boston Bug”

Just last year, 5 Philadelphia Flyers needed post season surgery for ailments such as torn wrist cartilage, broken fingers, torn stomach muscle, removal of back disk fragments…

• Alvin says:

Good post UCE. Only disagree on one point. Jack Edwards is right. Sirhan Sirhan as Citizen of the Year.
      The Karlsson injury was blatant and premeditated by Matt Cooke and that guy should have been removed from the NHL a while ago.
      Wait and see. There will be another one coming from him. He’s a psychopath.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Josh Gorges is the girl we ended up on a date with and Carey Price is who we married?

In that case:

Scott Gomez is the woman who is blackmailing us after that ill advised one-night stand.

Mats Sundin is that one we were obsessed with, to the point, we see that now, of stalking.

Claude Giroux is the one that got away and makes us wonder, from time to time, just what could have been.

Alex Kovalev is the one who, when we see her years later, we think, good thing we ended it when we did.

Pierre Gauthier is the ex-mother-in-law we do not miss one bit.

• alfieturcotte says:

Errant – There are many, many, goaltenders who have better stats than him, just take a look at nhl.com. And guess what, they also make significantly less $$$ than Pricey.

Time has come to cut the umbillical cord and let him earn his keep for a change instead of resorting to the same ol “potential”, “pedigree” nonesense. If I were GM (one can wish), I would trade him the off season. There are still those who believe in the scouting reports. Make no mistake, those “takers” are diminishing with each season and poor performance. Record speaks louder than potentital. Trade him now, save the ridiculous 1/10 of team salary, and get a quality player in exchange. It’s the right move.

• zephyr says:

i think we’d all be fine with georges if he was 20 lbs heavier & didn’t get rag-dolled so much. he can play the game but nobody likes to see their guys take such a pounding all the time. still, he’s a reliable dman & those guys are not a dime a dozen.
      in contrast, look at the pounding cube gave ott against buffalo. he can take care of business when he has to so nobody runs him. too bad he’s older now because he’s more valuable than georges.
      i don’t understand why these guys (like georges) don’t hit the weights & muscle up. it’s not like it’s gonna affect his blistering speed or anything.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Josh Gorges is well-known for the summer training he does, he works out with his Kelowna Rockets buddies, guys he played with in junior like Shea Weber. He does “hit the weights”, but he’s reached his peak physically. That’s it. He’s not lazy like Andrei Kostitsyn or Benoit Pouliot, he’s maxed out, and I respect him for all he does.

Putting on 20 lbs is easy to say, but so, so hard to achieve for a trained athlete without PED’s. Too often we hear about guys who put on ten pounds of muscle over the summer, and that number is suspect on many levels. It’s often just a sign of an athlete who’s well rested after a tough season, and put on weight just by recuperation and nutrition. Guys who put on that much weight or more right away should trigger our skepticism.

51. habzfan2003 says:

@deuce6: Agreed on the whole, this is a forum and posters are allowed to criticize and question our player’s performances (ala Price).

That being said, (and I’m going sound like a broken record but) I got no time for the fans that show up at the arena and sarcastically cheer our goalie after a routine safe while he’s struggling with confidence/mindset.. I don’t care who’s in the GD net.. whether it’s Price, Budaj, or friggin Andy Moog… I’m cheering for the Montreal Canadien’s and that includes their goalie, whoever it may be… and right now.. It’s Carey Price… So go get em’ Carey! You’re the man!

Hopefully this rant tires me out so I can get some sleep ;)

52. Trisomy 21 says:

It’s like some people’s brains shut off when they see Flames fans (who I think are the biggest band wagoners in Canadian Hockey) stand on their feet and cheer for Kipprusoff, who’s had a weak season and won’t even honour his remaining contract. They then go to the Bell Centre and boo the best goalie we’ve had since Roy left. They call the organization classy, but seem to forget the definition of the word as they jeer Price.

Price hasn’t been good, no shit. But use some sense, great goalies are bad at times too.

• Clay says:

OK, except…I’m not sure Price is the best goalie we’ve had since Roy left. I’m not convinced Price is better than Theodore, who actually won a Vezina.

__________________________

• Un Canadien errant says:

Just a technical point, but Miika Kiprussof has a right to retire. He’s choosing to forego the last year of his contract, and the salary that comes with it. That’s okay. Anyone in Canada has a right to retire from work, or resign from their job, and stop getting paid.

We should reserve the use of the terms ‘not honouring his contract’ for players who signed a deal and then hold out for more money, or demand to be traded.

Or for NCAA colleges who rescind a scholarship from an underperforming athlete.

Or for NFL teams who cut players and come to an “injury settlement”. Because they didn’t get their injury on the job or anything.

• Clay says:

One could even say that he’s doing the Flames (kind of) a favour by retiring. Kipper is not in their rebuilding plans, and since he declined to waive his no trade clause (again, his right) and help the team get draft pics or prospects, the best thing he can do is retire and get his cap hit off the books.
        IMO though, there are far too many no trade clauses thrown around, and – especially in a cap era – this can cost teams dearly.

__________________________

• Trisomy 21 says:

UCE I’m not saying he has no right, my point was that dispite the fact he’s leaving without allowing for a trade to get some assets in return, the fans stand behind him. I guess I wasn’t clear but you’re sort of extrapolating my thoughts incorrectly. Of course he has the right to retire, and Price is also allowed to have some crappy games. But here are some fans who think that Bernier would be a better alternative.

• Un Canadien errant says:

We’re on the same page, and I don’t disagree with your central tenet, or the gist of your post. I raised a technical point, just to clarify the discussion, but maybe just for my own sake. I do that sometimes, it’s my issue, I guess I’ll have to deal with it.

• Luke says:

Tris,

Kipprusoff and the Flames had a handshake agreement that the last year of this contract would never be played. It was added to manage the cap hit. (According to Keenan).

53. The Teacher says:

Soyons Expositif. :(

54. The Teacher says:

Just read a comment with reference to the Expos and this sadness just came over me. I long for the days where I could go buy a bleacher seat for a buck and have a wonderful time heckling the opposing outfielders :(

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

Very sad, when I was a kid I remember going to Jarry Park with my dad to see them play. Balor Moore piched that night, Mack Jones, Ron Fairly, Rusty Staub, John Boccabella etc etc. A truly sad day when they left Montreal.

• suttontom says:

As an aside , Back to the Expos. Was at THEIR FIRST GAME EVER, at Jarry Park , and managed to get down behind the Backstop, to the good seats, just like the good, & old days at the Mtl. Forum, when you could skip down past the ushers to the Reds if you were a young& brash, teen.
        Always a fan, go Habs.

55. HabFan in Edmonton says:

Oilers losing yet again, when it comes to tanking for a higher draft pick, the Oilers do it better than anybody. They are just playing out the string. There seems to be a culture of losing that has set in there. Pretty sad !!

• Sportfan says:

I like the Oilers but I sure as heck hope they don’t get the top pick

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

I like the Oiler too, my second favourite team and so much talent up front. But they have messed things up and it was embarrassing to see Kevin Lowe at the press conference when he announced Mactavish as GM (same old, same old). If you can’t take a little heat then get out of the kitchen. I agree, they definitely don’t deserve the top pick.

• AH says:

Habfan, I’m in Edmonton also, and imo the problem is Kevin Lowe, he is guilty of doing what the Habs did for the longest time; keeping it in the “family”..it only works for so long, then it blows up. What qualifies Mactavish to be a gm??, and Howson, the guy who passed on Galchenyuk!! LOL!!! Add to this the fact that the owner was a groupie of theirs from back in their glory years and this is the results.

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

Totally agree, Kevin Lowe has to go. Howson did a horrible job in Columbus and they take him back ??? What the f….
        They will be under tremendous pressure to do well next year, there will be trades, maybe the Habs can take advantage somehow.

• HabsTrueBlue says:

I love Galchenyuk and am happy that the Habs picked him but Edmonton picking Yakupov over Galchenyuk can not objectively be looked at as a failure. On a lousy 25th place team ranked in the bottom third of scoring Yakupov has put up more more points and goals than Galchenyuk has on the 4th place overall team.

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

Picking Yakupov was not a failure, neither was picking Hall, Eberle or Hopkins (although Hopkins shoulder is a concern). Watching Taylor Hall fly down the wing is a thing of beauty. I would love him in Montreal. Any idiot GM can pick these players. It takes a good GM to surround these guys with the right role players to make the team successful. They have failed miserably at doing this. Why are they in the bottom third in scoring with all this talent !!

• HabsTrueBlue says:

Okay now I understand AH’s point. Howson was the Columbus GM who picked Murray over Galchenyuk. Agreed, at this point that is not turning out so well. As for why they have problem scoring with all their talent? I agree as well that Tambellini did not do a good job of surrounding his young stars with the right role players to make the team successful.

• Good Habit says:

Yak gets more minutes though. Galchenyuk is a more complete player. If you consider that he barely played hockey last year and he is younger than virtually every other rookie (inluding Yak), he should be considered the better pick. Time will tell though.

• HabsTrueBlue says:

I guess the Habs must be trying to do the same since Oilers are 3-7 in their last 10 games and the Habs are way better at 4-6 !

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

After losing tonight the Oilers will be 1-8 in their last 9 games. That’s tanking !! With the talent they have, it’s ridiculous.

• HabsTrueBlue says:

LOL … and tomorrow the Habs may very well be 2-7 in their last 9. The Oiler’s core talent is very young and still learning to win at the NHL level. Nothing ridiculous about that at all. Habs fans who called for a tank for a year or two should take note.

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

In 7 of their last 9 games the Oilers have scored 1 goal or less. They are not learning very fast. Their core talent is young, no doubt, but they may be getting too used to losing. That is a bad thing.

• HabsTrueBlue says:

Hopefully MacTavish finds or develops the necessary complementary players. Also if Nugent-Hopkins comes back stronger next year and if Yakupov can avoid the sophomore slump maybe a light will appear at the end of their tunnel. Daring to dream, maybe in a couple years Habs and Oilers meet in the playoffs!

56. AH says:

Price haters vs Price lovers: Marty Turco was on OTR and was asked of Reimer, Anderson, or Price, who he would want going into the playoffs and he was soundly in Price’s corner! Discuss?

He liked his demeanour, his ability, and most of all the fact that he has survived and handled being a goalie in the Montreal market.

PS; if this has been mentioned, by all means ignore me. LOL!

57. showey47 says:

In the near future with our defence being subban,emelin,diaz,tinordi and beaulieu (plus any trades,other ahl graduates or ufa signings) you have to wonder where gorges and the remaining 5 years of his 3.9 million dollar cap hit fit in a couple of years down the road. Thats alot of coin and term for someone in the next 2 years can easily be pushed down to the 3rd pairing.

• He was excellent last year with shots blocked. Has to be a head thing. Shame too as I remember peeps calling him our next Captain, now they have his head in a guillotine.

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

• Storman says:

Depending on Emelin’s recovery and or possible UFA signing this summer,, barring an amazing playoff run, where his game could once again reach his high level of safe, reliable, and shot blocking D play,, if not you would have think he could be a definite target to be traded..

Future D Emelin , Subban, Diaz, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Dietz, Thrower, Patteryn, Nygren, Bennett, etc… it sure will be hard for Gorges to stay the course of his contract..

58. You want respect Shiloh? You don’t want to be labeled a Price hater, or Price troll? See below. You want respect. How about talking about anything else Habs other than how bad Carey is playing? Are you capable? You think we Price/Habs fans are obsessed with all things Carey Price and wanting him to succeed? Check below, this is what 90 plus minutes of one game? I got bored and stopped. Only one person on the site is obsessed right now…you’re a teacher, you figure it out!

Shiloh April 20, 2013 at 8:55 pm I’ve had the TV off for the last 20 minutes. How’s Carey doing?

Shiloh April 20, 2013 at 8:23 pm Pretty hard to play this game when your goalie can’t stop a beach ball.

Shiloh April 20, 2013 at 8:25 pm Sniffle. Sob.

Shiloh April 20, 2013 at 8:18 pm Hard to make that save when you’re already kneeling. Get him out of there.

Shiloh April 20, 2013 at 8:12 pm “Price bashing is fine”? Right. Sure. You’d defend his crappy play to your last breath. Right now he sucks horribly.

Shiloh April 20, 2013 at 7:53 pm Hard for any team to play when you’re down 2 or 3 after less than five shots. This brutal play is about 90% on the goalie.

Shiloh April 20, 2013 at 7:56 pm Keep a good supply of kleenex on hand my sad little friend.

Shiloh April 20, 2013 at 8:08 pm Just write Carey a love letter and resolve this crush once and for all.

Shiloh April 20, 2013 at 7:37 pm At some point the Price era will be over. It might take 15 years after we burned a #5 overall pick, but it has to end sometime. What is he, 27th in the league statistically? Just give us an average goalie.

Shiloh April 20, 2013 at 7:33 pm Price on his knees while the puck is behind his net. STAND UP for Pete’s sake!

Shiloh April 20, 2013 at 7:28 pm He’s sliding around on his knees again – and he’s not even as good as a bantam goalie when he plays like that.

Shiloh April 20, 2013 at 7:26 pm I know it was deflected but he’s down on his knees way before the shot.

Shiloh April 20, 2013 at 7:23 pm Can you help the guys out once, Carey?

I don’t like doing this Shiloh, I’m a happy person, I don’t want to hurt people mentally, but you brought it on yourself. I’m sorry, but you don’t get it

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

59. Bim says:

For Habs goalies in the first round of playoffs…please, please stop the puck (a puck would be nice!). Its so much easier playing on offence if you don’t have to worry whether your goalies are going to stop the puck or not. The wind went out of Habs sails so fast on Saturday after that second softie it practically created a vacuum in the Bell Centre.

60. SoFlaHab says:

C’mon, before Budaj had one bad period in PIT, we all wanted him to get a chance. We were thrilled with his 2year extension. Price gets countless chances. Maybe Budaj is good for one chance… It was only one period… If Price continues to blow, I say BOODEYE gets another shot, before anyone else..

• Storman says:

As critical as I have been of Price and weak early goals, his shoulder shrugging or lack of ffff me time to get pissed attitude,,, He is still the guy for sure, and has to be better especially early in games or we are done..If he continues to struggle absolutely Budaj before either Mayer or Tokarski, who are here to get evaluated and help with practice with so many extra bodies…

61. Bill says:

Guys on Sportsnet talking about the last time the Leafs made the playoffs. Facebook had just launched. Twitter did not exist. The Expos played their final season.

Wow. That really WAS a long time ago.

Full Breezer 4 Life

62. Habitant in Surrey says:

…photo of Danny Kristo at 4 weeks old :)

_________________________________________________________
    What I WANT ! is an aircraft carrier at centre and nuclear destroyers on each wing going to the net like bats out of Hell !, …NO MORE rubber duckies !!!
    _________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

63. habsfan0 says:

Let’s say Ottawa,Winnipeg & the Rangers all finish the season with the same number of points for positions 7,8,& 9.

How does tie breaking formula work here?

• Storman says:

ROW is first tiebreaker, 2nd tie breaker is head to head record between teams tied or most points in games between teams tied, throwing out any odd number games which gave you an extra game at home,,, and goal differential is the third , i believe the fourth is, if your coach is Torts your out..

64. Storman says:

With Ottawa’s loss Hab’s now can finish no worse than 5th,

Tried to pay special attention to Douglas Murray tonight, and i was quite impressed, solid acquisition by Shero…

65. JohnBellyful says:

CH 24

12:04:33 Carey Price tosses and turns in bed, his right leg flicking out, then his left hand spearing the air. He wakes up in a cold sweat. Beachballs fill the bedroom. He screams: “NOOOOOOOO!”

12:07:41 DD paces the floor, so deep in thought he bumps his head on the coffee table. He removes his house helmet and checks it for cracks. Inside there’s a note. He screams: “NONNNNNNN!”

12:14:78 Moen sleeps. Classical music plays softly in the background. The dregs of a huge tumbler of milk slowly curdle on the night table, beside a dog-eared copy of Mahatma Ghandi’s autobiography.

12:22:IX Markov pulls on his slippers and begins making his way to the bathroom. ETA 15 minutes. As he shuffles along, static electricity shoots up from the carpet into his knees. He picks up the pace in a desperate bid to make it to washroom before his legs give out. He crosses the threshold, turns on the light, stares at the mirror and screams: “MOTHER MCCREADY!”

12:39:1.5 Gorges closes his diary, anguish written across his brow, mocking his failed attempts to fill today’s page. Writer’s block! O the irony (he’d look it up later to see if he had used the word correctly). A rustle and he looks over to see a vanilla envelope – manilla? He’s not sure – being slipped underneath the door. He goes over, picks it up, and removes a single sheet of paper. And screams “ ”.

12:57:44:37 Jack Bauer is awakened in his Montreal penthouse suite by the sound of the ‘Stand By Me’ ringtone on his cellphone. Groggily, he answers: “Yeah?”
    “Jack, we’ve got a problem! There’s a meltdown in progress!”
    “Sounds serious. How bad is it?”
    “The whole team. They’ve lost four of their last five games and played atrociously. They even looked terrible in their win. If this slide continues they’ll be outta the playoffs in four straight. It could mean the end of Eastern Canadian civilization.”
    “Any leads?
    “Not many lately. They’ve been falling behind 2-0 the first 10 minutes.”
    “Okay. I’ll head on over. Where are you?”
    “New Jersey.”
    Click.

12:59:01 “Sorry I was late, I got caught in traffic. Where’s the file?”
    [Rifles through the pages and then sets the rifle down]
    “This it? Taped phone calls. Surveillance footage. Informant statements. Tax records. Toll booth payments. Credit card receipts. Organ donations. DNA samples. Emails. Toenails. Stem cells. Finger prints. Limited edition prints. Internet history.”
    [Looks up] “Not much to go on.”

“Well, this might do the trick for you.”
    [Hands over photograph. Bauer gasps]
    “The CTU has been breached!”

Yes, folks, the Canadiens Tactical Unit has been compromised.
    Next week’s episode: Leafs Hab the Last Laff

— “A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.” –

66. Habitant in Surrey says:

…hope We meet da Weeds in the first round

…win or lose, it will be fun

• habsfan0 says:

Here, here!

• ProHabs says:

It won’t be fun when we lose. Unfortunately with the LEafs physical style the Habs will be worn out by Game 3. I am hoping the Leafs play the Bruins in the first round and destroy each other.

• habsfan0 says:

The Leafs have been getting outshot by something like a 2-1 margin every game for the last month or so. I don’t believe Reimer,or Scrivens can withstand that type of barrage on a nightly basis,forever.
        Reimer & Scrivens have no playoff experience between them,either. The Leaf defence is slow, and is led by Dion Phaneuf, who I believe was recently rated the most overrated player in the NHL by his peers.
        Or,was that Phil Kessel,who wouldn’t understand what a backchecker was even if you spelled it for him.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…if We lose to da Weeds, do You think We really deserved to get out of the first round in the first place ?

…if We can’t beat all-comers, what’s the sense of dreaming of a Stanley Cup ?

• ProHabs says:

I just want the Leafs and Bruins to destroy each other. A first round match up that when the dust settles and all is said and done, Lucic, Marchand, Horton, Chara, Phanouf, Orr, etc. are completely wiped out.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…if that happens, then what does that prove about Ourselves ?

…sort of an empty accomplishment, isn’t it ?

• ProHabs says:

The playoffs are a marathon Surrey. It is survival of the fittest, Darwism. If Chara, Marchant, Lucic, Horton cannot survive massive cheap shots from Orr, McLean and Frazer than they don’t deserve to play in the playofffs.

• Alvin says:

Who the heck is thinking about a Stanley Cup this year with this team. Let us not be delusional. Dreaming is ok but dreams aren’t real.

• Bill says:

Not the first round. Their luck is gonna hold up for one round. Then the Hockey Gods will turn on them, their ridiculous shooting percentage will normalize, and their insane goaltending luck will vaporize, and they will be ripe targets in the second round.

Full Breezer 4 Life

67. Bill says:

Kind of a head-scratcher from Therrien in a TSN story:

“Therrien is exasperated at fans and media who have been demanding that Galchenyuk get more ice time. The third overall pick in last June’s draft has nine goals and 15 assists while playing a carefully managed 12:15 per game.

He has looked dazzling at times, but Therrien said playing more would not necessarily mean more goals for the 19-year-old at this point in his development.”

Full Breezer 4 Life

68. Mavid says:

and the jets have won..tick tock tick tock…

69. cthabfan says:

So tired of all the Price bashing. If, you guys think he is that bad, why don’t you go and play goal and see what you can do.
    No one in here can hold a candle to anyone that plays in the NHL. Heck, the worst player is probably still 100% better than anyone in here.
    Thinking,it’s jealously because of the lifestyle and money they have.
    It’s a TEAM sport- no I in team my friends.
    Who cares how much money they make,it’s not our money,and am sure mangement knows more than we do.

• Small_Town_Boy says:

If it is not our money then whos money is it?

Dat’s wha me tinks

• cthabfan says:

it’s Molson’s money paying Mr. Price,not our money

• Small_Town_Boy says:

And where does Molson get that money? With out the fans Molson would not have money. So yes, our money goes to pay the players.

Dat’s wha me tinks

• Singaporehabsfan says:

How much money did you give Molson? If he gave you beer to drink, then he doesn’t owe you anything more.

Pathetic leafs flatulent bruins

• habsfan0 says:

Yeah.
        That’s what I’d like to know.

• wjc says:

Small town boy, players are paid out of the profits that the hockey club makes. Fans pay for the rights to watch…pay per view, seats etc. buy over priced food and sweaters etc. advertisers pay on and on.

It is their money to put back into the team according to the rules of the CBA. You shut up and watch, they run the team and spend and profit.

wjc

• Trisomy 21 says:

This is the problem with Habs fans, think they own the organization. With this mentality, you basically own all the clothing retails you shop and and restaurant chains. Hell I must be a majority owner of the liquor store down the road.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

That’s just mean! I’ll have you know there are some exceptional boot hockey players among us. Every goaltender is Jaro Halak and every forward Alex Kovalev. They are hockey genii, I tell ya! It’s just that Carey Price, who they secretly find adorable in the Justin Trudeau way, makes them go full … uh … Breezer.

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk.

70. Mr. Biter says:

Got my tickets for Thursday night game. Could be a real barnburner.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

71. HabFanSince72 says:

We could end up meeting the Leafs and Islea on the way to the EC Finals.

Season ends this way

1. Pens
    2. Habs
    3. Isles
    4. Rangers

Not at all impossible.

• HardHabits says:

OMFG. Play-off combos. Quick. Move Winnipeg to the West and Detroit to the East.

• Bill says:

Anything could happen …

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Bim says:

Good thing Jets play three in four. That will at least give Habs a chance to keep home ice vs Leafs (not so sure that will make any difference or not?). The way these guys have been playing lately if they win a game against Leafs it’ll be a miracle. Good to see they brought up not one but two goalies for the road trip and the way things have been going we’ll likely see them. They couldn’t be any worse than Pricey or Buds.

Since the Bulldogs are all but eliminated from the play-offs the Habs have called up goalies Robert Mayer and Dustin Tokarski, defencemen Nathan Beaulieu, Greg Pateryn and Jarred Tinordi, and forwards Michaël Bournival, Louis Leblanc and Petteri Nokelainen.

73. Mavid says:

Paul McCartney is coming to Scotiabank place this summer..has anyone ever seen him? Does he put on a good show..