Habs have to be better for next game, Subban says after 7-2 drubbing by Rangers (Video)

(Photo: Francois Laplante/FreestylePhoto/Getty Images)

Maybe Rene Bourque put it most bluntly.

“We got our asses kicked all over the ice, plain and simple,” he said after the Canadiens 7-2 drubbing by the New York Rangers on Saturday in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference final.

“They came out strong. We were just not sharp (today…I don’t think anybody really played well,” Bourque said.

“They got all the loose pucks. They out-competed us and took some penalties and they capitalized. That’s basically what happened.”

Bourque said he thought the Habs had a bit of an emotional let down after winning their series against the Boston Bruins.

“We talked about that too going into the game (this afternoon) and obviously it didn’t click. But we’ve got to just forget about this game and move on,” he said.

Canadiens defenceman P.K. Subban also talked about turning the page after the embarrassing loss at the Bell Centre.

“We have to be better for the next game,” he said.

“That’s not our hockey team that played today. We know we’re a different team than that. We can be a lot better,” Subban added.

“I think all over the ice they beat us. They worked harder. They were on the puck. They were aggressive. They were hungry.”

They knew the Rangers were a fast team, Subban said. “We’ve got speed, too.”

Habs fans held their breath when Carey Price appeared to be hurt when Chris Kreider ran into him in the Canadiens’ net in the second period. But the Canadiens goaltender stayed in the game for the rest of the period that saw the Rangers score back-to-back goals within a 50-second span.

Back-up goaltender Peter Budaj replaced Price at the start of the third. Things didn’t get any better for the Habs. The Rangers scored three power-play goals in just over three minutes early in the third.

When Canadiens coach Michel Therrien was asked if pulling Price was injury related, he said: “That was more to protect him than anything, because we were not sharp in front of him.”

“We were not ready mentally, physically… to compete for a game like that with the result that we saw,” the coach said.

“We’ll put that game behind us. We’re going to move forward, but that’s a good lesson.”

You can hear more of what Subban had to say here:

You can listen to what Bourque had to say here:

(Video: Brenda Branswell)

Rangers put a 7-2 whupping on Habs, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

‘We got our asses kicked,’ Habs’ Bourque says, by Pat Hickey

Canadiens up against speed, sympathy, by Jack Todd

1. jimmy shaker says:

Budaj shutout the rangers this year, he can step up if need be!

Shaker out!

• Timo says:

Didn’t look like it today. Habs need to try that grinding game Therrien was telling us that the team is about. Habs need to do something drastic to break the negative dynamic that established today. Put someone in the hospital would be a good start. Preferably St Louis or Lindqvist.

2. Mondou6 says:

Krieder: “I put it wide and somehow lost my footing. I thought maybe someone pressured me from behind. I seem to have an issue staying on my feet on those,” Kreider told reporters. “I went in skates-first, and I just had too much momentum and couldn’t really avoid him. It didn’t feel too good for me, either.”

Yeah, it must have been tough hitting Price full speed with his blades. Krieder could have twisted an ankle.

• zorro says:

A totally wreckless play, he knew what the outcome of that high speed impact would be, an injury to Price. The Habs should have retaliated when they had thier chance, like in the 3rd period when the game was over. I say start crashing Henri, after all this is the eastern conference finals, can someone let the Habs know the series has started.

• DT says:

With all due respect, that would be what the Bruins would do. I’m glad the Habs aren’t like that. It was a reckless play and if retaliation is needed to send a message not to mess with your best player, then you need to do it at that moment, same shift, not goon time after the game is out of reach.

3. jimmy shaker says:

Betterman 1 habs 0….I mean rangers 1 habs 0. Hockey Night In Canada on a Saturday afternoon…..makes sense. Good to get that gift to the rangers out of the way early, again to a team that is very comfortable playing in midday unlike the habs.

Both games that I haven’t watched during the habs dance, they’ve lost…..game 2 vs cubs and this game……both afternoon games as well I might add. I will be back in full force Monday night lads.

Shaker out!

4. Gally27 says:

Hearing Price seriously injured.

5. Willy the bum says:

Coming soon to a hockey rink near you:

CHILD’S PLAY VII: THE RETURN OF CHUCKY

Chucky, with the army of Habs, stalks Lundqvist and the Rangers in an all-out battle for Eastern supremacy.

6. Flanelette says:

The way this league is run and the refs call the games Kreider should be a good candidate for Conn Smyth, that was one valuable slide.

• Mondou6 says:

We should have learned by now that we can’t rely on the refs to save us. We need players who can police the other team.

What would have happened if Emelin had crashed Rask like that in Game 1 in Boston? Would he have gotten away with it? No way. We would have paid. Today, the Rangers got away with it.

7. Commandant says:

The 1979 team, with double-digit hall of famers, and the greatest coach of all-time in Scotty Bowman, and playoff experience out the wazoo, came out in 1979 and laid an egg against the Rangers after an emotional 7 game win over Boston.

If an emotional letdown, and a lack of preparation can hurt that team, its no surprise what it did to this team.

Now I’m not saying this team will come back and win 4 in a row like that team…. I hope so, but again this team is nowhere near as good.

What I am saying though is this:

1) Its good it was a blowout instead of a 2-1 loss, the embarrassment will help them get emotional and refocused.

2) As for all the strategy, all the breakdown, all the chalk talk and whatever… throw this game out the window… its useless for that. You won’t get much out of it, because this was a team that wasn’t ready to play.

8. Mondou6 says:

Keith Jones on NBC showered praise on Krieder, saying how great it was that he “went to the net hard, and got a good piece of Price.”

That’s pretty much an exact quote. I’m sure the Rangers feel the same way, after seeing the result of the game.

Our team seemed to have no problem with it either.

• CJ says:

What if Price is hurt? Would he feel the same way?

Considering Cherry just called Chara’s hit on Max a beauty, I shouldn’t be surprised.

9. Dudeskiman says:

Habs think they are still playing the booooooins

• CJ says:

No, they realize the Bruins are finished. Alas, that might be the problem.

It was a letdown game. They came out flat and despite the best efforts of the crowd, never seemed to get into the game. Their legs weren’t moving and they seemed tentative, arriving second on the puck, and without numbers.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

If the Habs play like they did against the Bruins, they will clobber the Rangers. Today was a complete no-show. Hopefully Price is not hurt.

10. habsfaninkw says:

Many years ago (45 or so) I remember being ready to move from Amhersturg back to Windsor. I watched the Habs as a 9 yr old (I think) from a double mattress on the floor lose to Cheevers and company one playoff night 5-0. This has to be the most embarrassing post season loss since then. God I am speechless. So glad I wasted a valuable Saturday afternoon to watch that mess.

11. Mondou6 says:

Honestly, I fear that today was a repeat of the start of the Ottawa series where they killed Eller and we had no response.

Today it was worse, since it was Price. Our response, nothing.

I guess all we can do now is wait til Monday and see if Price can play, and if he does, if he’s effective. He didn’t look good after getting drop-kicked today, and rightfully so.

• Flanelette says:

Thay was actually one of the dirtiest plays I’ve seen in a while (akin to Chara on Max) because of the intent: which was obvious. I’ve rarely seen a goalie get rammed so hard.

12. Flanelette says:

Mr October:
    Sometimes it’s just small things.
    Anabody notice the look on Plekanec’s face when he agrred to shake hands with Ginette Reno?
    It was a smurk: OK fat lady I’ll humor you, I’ll go along with this parody” Well that pretty much sums up for me why he is so useless in the playoffs. He is impermeable to the magic, to the emotion, to the ghosts and the history. Plekanec goes to work with his lunch bag, every morning, punches the clock, puts on his turtle neck sweater in order not to catch cold, and then drives saely back home. He even has the demeanor of a tired bureaucrat, I thought it was very revealing and finally explained to me why he should be spent packing despite some loyal service and an above-average hockey sense on the PK. He can’t be touched by ghosts.

• Willy the bum says:

Plekanec was playing like a baby girl. ;)

• CJ says:

Truth be told, I didn’t like his game against the Bruins either. He needs to get going. Playing with Vanek might actually be hurting Pleks.

Perhaps moving Vanek back with DD and Max, and reuniting Pleks with Chucky and Gally gets things going. I’m no coach, so take my suggestion with a grain of salt.

13. Say Ash says:

I’ve been told the Rangers won the cup this afternoon. Can anybody confirm?

14. montreal ace says:

No reason for Krieder to crash Price, I thought it was dirty on his part. I know I found it hard to get into todays game, the crowd and the players pretty much echoed that. The Habs did not play well today, while the Rangers did, time to grind out a few wins and play more defensive.

• Mondou6 says:

Their plan was to crash Price, and it worked perfectly.

That’s a dangerous strategy for a team that depends so much on Lundqvist, but we did nothing to retaliate, so they won.

All we can do now is hope they don’t do it again, because we won’t do anything about it, and the refs won’t either. Our strategy is to hope the Rangers are nicer to Price.

15. The Gumper says:

Not surprised or concerned with the loss today. I don’t know how many times I’ve seen a team come out flat after a particularly contentious series. Yeah, I know, the Rangers just finished up a 7 game series too but to me, there is no comparison between the series. Boston v Montreal is just on a different level emotionally and physically. Nothing to worry about here. We are still #1 in terms of the least losses of all 16 playoff teams…

16. Willy the bum says:

The Habs should play boring defensive system, à la New Jersey Devils. They cannot catch the Rangers with their speed, so to counter-attack the Habs should stay within their own zone for Price’s protection thoughout most of the game.

Rangers will soon make mistakes or have tired players in their zone, forcing the Habs to move quickly and create surprising plays to catch the Rangers with their shorts down.

This is possibly one of the ways to go when the Habs takes care of the series.

17. boing007 says:

Maybe the Rangers are dirtier than the Bruins and they just go about it in a more subtle way. If so, time for payback.

Richard R

18. CJ says:

It was one loss. The coach and team are saying all the right things. We were not prepared, we will be better, blah, blah, blah….

I just spoke to my buddy, who was at the game today. He said Price looked hurt. He said that following the play he kept skating around and appeared to favour his ankle and knee.

No, it would not be impossible to win without Price, but what’s the word for next to impossible? Cause that’s the challenge we would face.

The men inside that room need to step up. Beating Boston was great, and admittedly I was not into the game today the way I was on Wednesday night, but the series certainly has my attention now. I’d be willing to bet it also has our players attention. That buzz Emelin heard, it was Kreider skating past. Gionta and Pleks, two of our best defensive forwards looked lost in coverage. PK, who’s been playing at an elite level, looked like he was wearing rubber boots today. Two icings in the first period, following uncontested, yet forced, passes. Not good enough. Vanek, he may or may not have already signed with Minnesota…..

Mostly though, this series now has my full attention because of our inability to fight back. Kreider hammered Price. Intentionally or not, this needs to be addressed. The time to address the issue was today. Sorry, and please forgive me for this, but we are at war. Hank shouldn’t feel safe in his crease. Our guys need to drive the net. Put the shoulder down and race for the far post.

The Rangers may not have had a focal point, a villain upon whom we could target our rage and frustration, but they should now. Dorsett doesn’t want to fight, make him want to fight. Hit, go to the net, and play the kind of physical hockey which baits a response. Somebody should have flattened Kreider. Are we mice or are we men?

We are at a crossroads. Are we satisfied with the season? If so, please let me know so that I can dump my tickets and enjoy cheap beer from the comfort of my couch. Or, are we this close? Have we come so far that we can see around the next corner, eliciting the feeling that there is work ahead, yet unfinished. The answers will be unveiled in the days ahead. The break between games 2 and 3 may yet turn out to be an advantage. We must leverage this and push forward.

The joy I felt following the Boston series is quickly fading. Like a cheap druggie, I want my next fix. As Busta Rhymes once said, “give me some more.”

Cheers, CJ

• montreal ace says:

CJ nice post, all good points

• Willy the bum says:

Great post. Bruins and Rangers are two different teams. Bruins are too chicken to fight against the Habs, while the Rangers are the more desperate to take them on.

I hope Price is alright, it was a tough hit. His knee came close to getting cut from Kreider’s skate. Between all of the mess, we know the Rangers are playing huge.

The Habs should figure out any advantages out of this game and focus on counter-attack the Rangers’ speed.

• Mondou6 says:

Good post, CJ, I feel (mostly) the same way.

I’m willing to give the boys a pass for today. And honestly, even if we’re humiliated by the Rangers this series, I still admire they way they took down Boston. That was so awesome, that I couldn’t blast them.

But I agree that there’s no reason this team should be humiliated by this Rangers’ team.

And I agree 100% about Price. It’s a common tactic when facing a top goalie to “get physical” and get him off his game. Krieder’s hit wasn’t entirely intentional, but it wasn’t unintentional either. He skated full speed at Price, and then…oops!…he was so out of control that he almost sent our franchise goalie off on a stretcher.

Now Price may be lost, or damaged, or hampered for the rest of the series.

Our response? Nothing. No one went near Lundqvist, all game. Max pulled up to avoid him.

The only tepid reply was Prust hacking, slashing, and crosschecking Krieder later. I appreciate that, but it was WAY too little, and WAY too late. In a 7-2 game in the third period, someone, ANYONE, should have run Lundqvist, or tried to cripple Krieder. Anything short of that sends a clear message that we cannot protect Price, and it’s an invitation to the Rangers to continue to throw bodies at Price.

I guarantee they will crash Price again, since it worked so well today, and with no pushback from us. They’d be crazy not to do it. The Bruins are probably kicking themselves for not attacking Price, after watching today’s game.

So although I feel like I “owe” this team for upsetting Boston, I’m pretty disgusted by how they hung Price out to dry today.

• CJ says:

Great post. Thank you for sharing. I’m actually pretty frustrated tonight. I went to the golf course and chipped balls for an hour to get my mind right. It helped, but didn’t completely do the truck.

Now I’ve gone back and am re watching The Civil War by Ken Burns.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Thats when you need that goon (that can play) to go out and get some revenge. I think you and others have mentioned Gadzic? There is no one on the current roster that can goon and put the puck in the net.

• CJ says:

It’s true, we don’t have anyone like Gadzic, but Max, Bourque, Weise of any other big body would do the trick. Just go to the net. Go to the net….

I sound like Happy Gilmore…..

• Flanelette says:

Believe me: that was intentional.

19. UKRAINIANhab says:

Practice tmrw on getting traffic infront of “the king”…

We let the Big Apple make sauce out of us today, but the pork chops get grilled on Monday!
    Not to worry! Everyone is having a nice holiday break!
    Did you really think we were going to win every game from now on??
    We are going to the next round my friends. I picked it in 5 games, but maybe it will be 6.
    It was an afternoon kiddy’s show for crying out loud. The real hockey starts Monday night!

21. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Prefer Briere on the fourth line with Weise where they have caused damage. If MT wants more scoring with Plekanec and Vanek, give them Chucky. Hopefully he will be ready soon.

Also, I hope they keep Bealieu in the line-up. He clearly has an NHL skill-set.

• CJ says:

The way Pleks and Vanek played today…..

Never mind. Let’s just say they were both bad and leave it at that. Fortunately for them (or unfortunately for everyone else) there were so many poor showings today, namely Markov and Emelin, that the spotlight is not shining so brightly.

22. boonie says:

A thousand posts already made the point… Goalies matter. We killed Tampa. The goalie key to their success was out. To me, the Bruins outplayed us in five of the seven games. Price was vastly better than Rask. We won.

But there’s more going on here than Budaj. Boston hit about a dozen posts and missed, by my count, 2-3 chances each game on Price’s stick side.

The Bruins didn’t change their system. The Rangers parked guys on our right post. They scored two quick ones – on Price. They also beat Price to the stick side.

We all want Price back for game 2 playing at his best. Without him we could be Tampa’d or Boston’d. But, even with him, we need to do something we haven’t done in eight games – adjust to better protect our right side.

• Willy the bum says:

Speed kills. And I mean skating. The Habs should play throughout the series coming up: New Jersey Devils’ playing style… boring defensive system. With few chances for offensive plays.

Habs-Rangers throughtout the regular season: low scoring counts, with almost all games where one team take shutouts. Why? ‘Cause they both play the same style of hockey, only the Habs know the Rangers’ speed.

Yes, take the series to play boring hockey soon, but must accept that Habs can take the series when the Rangers will take mistakes with lots of turnovers and missed opportunities.

23. Dudeskiman says:

If price is injured serie is over

24. Willy the bum says:

Well, I knew this was coming, and I did made this prediction yesterday. I mentioned the Habs will take a small loss to the Rangers, although the Habs will take the series. Never thought the loss was actually huge. But it’s okay, the Habs has to take this bad loss to understand these Rangers’ style of play.

One thing I notice about the game, the Rangers got speed. The Habs may or not catch up to their skating intensity but there’s always time to set up or figure out any counter-attacks to match wits against them.

Everybody, take this loss even though it looks absolutely horrid. The Habs were not that ready to start up the series with a win anyway, but we must accept it and move on. In fact, accept everything that the Habs has made, and be proud the way they played their hearts out.

• Frozen Village says:

Agree.

Thought coming into this series was a tougher match-up for the habs. Their forwards are faster than ours if Prust and Briere are in the line-up. And their D-men are faster then ours. (which makes it much more difficult to play the quick-strike game that was successful against the Bruins. The Rangers have the advantage in that style of game.)

IMHO, Emelin and Markov need to be reined in a bit. And you need to match their speed up front as well as possible, to support our slower d.

Vanek-Plek-Chucky
      Patch-DD-Gally
      Bourque-Lars-Gio
      Bourny-White-Weise

See what it does for us Monday. Mix in Prust/Briere/Moen later on.

Speed and generating it is priority. We have a slight edge in grit, but that will only be seen IMO if we start with team speed and smarts.

GHG – Habs in 7.

More Swedes for the Lions in Winter

25. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

There is something about losing spectacularly and this team.

26. Strummer says:

Habs were crushed today.

Meanwhile in Toronto both their teams WON today- Blue Jays and FC.

What’s wrong with this picture??????

____________________________________________________
    “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

27. Strummer says:

Memo to Canadiens players (that was lost in transit) ;

From Michel Therrien:

RE: Pre-game nap
    Please note the 1:00 pm pre-game nap needs to be re-scheduled today.

____________________________________________________
    “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

28. Flanelette says:

Alain Vigneault: OK guys we’re a proud team. I don’t want you to crash/injure their goalie ON PURPOSE, just because he is the only thing between us and a Stanley Cup final, but if you are in the vicinity, going full speed, well just let momentum take over. Right?

29. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

One good thing about the Bruins: if Kreider does that to Rask, something would have been done about it.

What? No “Can Habs win the cup” poll question today? Why not?

31. Thurston says:

It was an absolutely disgraceful performance this afternoon, but in the grand scheme of things, a 7-2 pasting has the same impact on the series as a 3-2 triple overtime loss.
    The boys had better pick it up in Game 2 or this series may be over in a hurry.

• Willy the bum says:

Playoffs are for the unexpected. Everybody thinks the Kings would definitely be gone during the quarterfinal round against the Sharks.

The series is not over. Not when the Habs has the will to fight.

32. WindsorHab-10 says:

Kind of weird to say but during the Boston series I was uptight & nervous from game 1 right thru to game 7 including the days off between games. For this series, I watched the game & was so calm and relaxed. I just can’t explain it. May be because I don’t really dislike anyone on the Rangers. But a Chris Kreider appears out of nowhere & now it’s game on.

33. smiler2729 says:

Renaud Lavoie:
    “Canadiens players thinks that Chris Kreider fell on Carey Price on purpose. Rangers think he’s injured. Habs are saying no”

_______________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.
    The “CH” in CHOKE stands for Toronto Maple Leafs.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Sounds like the Rangers had a plan…

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

I believe he fell on Carey Price intentionally but even if he didn’t it was a wreckless play like an unintentional high stick. Kreider should have been called for goalie interference, roughing (the goalie)
      you name it. Price could miss the rest of the series for sh*t sake!

24 cups and counting….

34. Strummer says:

Disappointed!

____________________________________________________
    “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

35. dexterdog says:

Today was a post-bruins-they-were-gonna-suck afternoon game aberration. As long as it serves as a wake up call I’m okay with this pasting. Habs in five.

36. Flanelette says:

Can one of you deft analysts of the hockey scene explain to me how Kreider can ram into Price at top speed, feet first, injure him and there is absolutely no consequence either from the refs or from the Habs?

37. Lafrich says:

What’s the refund policy for a game like this? Oh, and I am not talking about going to the game… I am talking about a refund of 2 hours of my life (I skipped the third after the 5-1 goal).

38. habsfan4ever says:

Repost. I was at a wedding and missed the entire game. Question for anyone who had the displeasure of watching the debacle, did the opening ceremony have Ginette Reno sing and did the little kid come out with the torch setting the ice on fire? Just curious.

Les Canadiens sont la!

39. habsfan4ever says:

Les Canadiens sont la!

40. PK says:

Must admit, it has been a great ride this Spring…not done yet…
    Better to go through this roller coaster vs. sitting on the sidelines
    … Like the Laffs… One playoff appearance in close to a decade…
    Hang in there Habbies…

41. Dunboyne Mike says:

Ok, so Kreider can’t be labelled goalie-slayer since the Anderson play last year clearly involved a trip:

• WindsorHab-10 says:

Mike, right after Kreider slid into Price I told my son that it was deliberate & someone must make him play. I was stunned to see on TSN that he did the same to Anderson.

At any rate, I’m glad we lost the way we did & am hoping that the team responds with a 60 minute solid effort on Monday. Would also like to see Moen or White in for Prust & hopefully there’s room for Alex Galchenyuk.

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

That dirty bas^*rd!

24 cups and counting….

42. Paz says:

Hey, good news! I saved myself $500 today. My son is leaving tomorrow for Europe and I was thinking of treating the two of us to a game live.

Silver lining and all that jazz!

43. RoySubbanPrice says:

Sucks that no one had the stones to CRASH LUNDQVIST, when PRICE HAS STOOD TALL for those guys for a ALL 7 GAMES. The fact that they lost today is peanuts, but the way they competed was ridiculously stupid. Sure coming off a highly emotional, series win, guess what Rangers were dealing with a HIGHLY EMOTIONAL SITUATION THEMSELVES,

did they stop skating?
    did they stop crashing the net?
    did they stop they’re aggressive forecheck and cycle in the offensive zone?

Anything less than a series a** whopping of the Rangers would be an embarrasing result!

a hard-fought loss unsatisfying but acceptable, but a everyone’s playing like there in lala land is disgusting. Yeah it’s Gm1, is an excuse the Rangers coulda used, but instead they let the media’s hype of us being the favourites and so close to Lord Stanley get to us. We’ve got alot of work to do and our work cut out if we’re to dominate Lundqvist, a guy who had a bad record @ the Bell Centre just got a confidence boost.
    No one remembers those who play average – PK Subban

44. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I suspected they were going to be dopey today with the BS 1:00 pm start and Bruins let-down but not like this. I went outside to work in the garden after the third goal because I knew they were toast. Apparently MT thought the same thing. Once and a while Markov and Emelin play like they are the worst D-pair in the NHL and today was an example. Brutal. It was as if they did not scout the Rangers. Leaving St. Louis alone in front of the net. D pinching in on Krieder’s side (didn’t they know he was blazing fast?).

The one good thing about today was that the Rangers really didn’t impress me that much. They are not better than the Habs. If the Habs lose to them, it will be more disappointing than the Bruins. Time to return the favor Monday night.

BTW thanks Buttman for the selling the hockey rights to a network that thinks horse racing is more important than hockey. I can’t believe people still give this guy credit for anything.

45. PK says:

I think that this game is an aberration. If it is not then I concede that our beloved Habs are not quite there yet.
    My worry is the injury report… The rest is window dressing….

46. Cal says:

Believe it or not, the blueprint for how to beat the Rangers will be drawn from today’s debacle. Whether or not the players can put the recent past behind them and reset for this series remains to be seen.
    Still, thus far, aside from today’s game, the Habs have played a lot of very good to excellent hockey. Do they have enough left in the tank?
    It’s going to be a lot of fun finding out.

47. davecessna says:

I wonder if the crack reporters at The Gazette will find out if Price is injured.

48. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I think the reason most of Us are calm about today’s result is We have Players that have abundant character and pride, and whom have shown Us continually this season They return with a vengeance

…for certain, the score next game will not be 7-2, win or lose

49. Habs4LifeInTO says:

Kings lost first two games in round one to the Sharks 6-3 and 7-2. They bounced back…Hoping the Habs will too!

24 cups and counting….

50. Dunboyne Mike says:

Was anyone else watching NBC today?

McGuire to Vigneault: “You were using your cycle game. Why did you make that choice?”

Vigneault EXTREMELY polite: “Because I prefer playing in their end than in ours.”

Crickets, followed by no further questions. Sorry, there are venerable apologists for McGuire here (to do with his encyclopedic knowledge or something?), but to me he is just a dork.

51. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Put today’s game on your garden, and move on.

52. Mondou6 says:

If Price is hurt, this series is over.

Krieder blasted him full speed, leading with the blades of his skates. It’s a miracle he wasn’t taken off on a stretcher after that hit.

And I’m disgusted that no one crashed Lunqvist after that. What’s the point of having a great goalie if you have a team that is incapable of protecting him?

• RoySubbanPrice says:

did they stop skating?
      did they stop crashing the net?
      did they stop they’re aggressive forecheck and cycle in the offensive zone?

No one remembers those who play average – PK Subban

53. UKRAINIANhab says:

I can relate to this well. World cup qualifiers 2014. Ukraine beat France 2-0 at home in Kiev, fans, players, and staff were euphoric in victory. However, it seemed like they forgot that the task at hand was not yet complete as they fell 3-0 in Paris and did not end up qualifying for this years world cup (heartbreaker). I tend to think this is what our Habs are going through right now. After a huge victory in Boston they need collect themselves and realize that it has not been achieved. I really hope they can bounce back because I would hate to get this close to the Cup and not go down with at least a really good fight. Go out there and take in Monday!

54. Dunboyne Mike says:

It’s a bit weird here without Looch, Lurch, Ratboy and Clod.

We need targets for our vitriol — Kreider?!

55. Louisville says:

Badly outcoached today. Only one coach had their team ready to play with a system that made sense. Lineup changes for sure. it’s going to be all about speed. Tinordi is probably faster than Weaver but what about Emelin…he was a pylon today. Prust for sure gone…his grit is not needed in this series. Also MT needs to make sure that the Habs play their speed game instead of trying to stop New York’s. MT in case you forgot, the best defence is a great offence. You’ve converted alot of people to your side during the Boston series, please don’t F this up now.

56. Dru says:

So in 1919, the last (only?) time the Habs lost by a bigger margin in the playoffs, they came back to win two games to tie up the series, but then the whole thing was cancelled because of spanish flu. What does it all mean?

57. Paz says:

It seems to me that for the first 3 games of a 7 game series there is actually an advantage to be the team that starts on the road.

Game 1, visiting team no pressure to win,
    Game 2, if you won game 1, you’re in the driver’s seat,
    If you lost game 1, no pressure to win because you can still jump back into the series by winning game 3.

It is only if the visiting team loses game 3, and if they have fallen behind 3-0 in the series, can they be in a terrible position.

I would rather start on the road.

The Habs, Rangers, and Kings all won their last series starting on the road as well.

58. SC27 says:

Seems like Vanek’s agent must have told him he’s already got a contract elsewhere. That, or he is… I don’t know. All I know is that his skillset is something the Habs could use at this time.

59. Fansincebirth says:

Anybody who thought the Rangers were going to roll over and wet themselves because we beat the Bruins are disillusioned. As well, anyone who thinks that today’s game is indicative of our play hasn’t been watching the playoffs. Yes, it was a shit show today. We know it, the players know it, the coaches know it and the Rangers know it. We had a bad Boston Hangover today.

REBOOT

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Well said.

I remain surprised that the post-Boston “letdown” appears to be such a major factor for professional players trying to get a job done.

I was clearly rather innocent on this topic, and would encourage HIOers NOT to go back and read a long and — it would appear — utterly erroneous post I contributed on the subject of emotion.

Not a clue!

60. Habitant in Surrey says:

…well, Chuck definitely has to be found a spot if He is 100 %

…Prust was likely standing up for Carey when He went ‘stupid’ on Kreider, but I think Brandon is the Guy Chucky is to replace for next game

…I am also mulling Weaver to be replaced with Tinordi

…Dream was all-World against the Loonie Beans, but with the Rangers speed We need a longer-stick than Weaver has

…if Our Habs can’t beat the Rangers They definitely will not be competitive with LA or Chicago, …this is where Therrien earns His pay check and Our Guys reach down as We know They can

_________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

…and, last, but not least: BringBackOurGirls !!! :(

• johnnylarue says:

Chris: Weaver finished this 7-2 rout at +1. (Granted, our PK really let us down tonight and he was a part of that…)

The team just needs to refocus and get back to playing the tight team defence we saw from them in the bulk of first two rounds. Given the speed and confidence of the Rangers forwards, I don’t think either of Tiny, Murray (need I say it), or Cube possess the required skill set to positively affect the outcome of this series. This is more about the Habs getting back to skating their butts off and taking time and space away from the Rags in the D-zone.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Ted, if it was My call, it wouldn’t be an easy one …I respect Weaver too much

…I’m just feeling the Rangers speed, which in some ways exceeds Ours, needs a closing-down of space on the ice

…it would be something JJ and Therrien should look at in tomorrow’s practice

…just something to consider

…I’m not 100 % on the idea yet

61. Habitant in Surrey says:

…don’t know about Youse hosers back East, but on CBC, showing George Strombo Show interview Gary Bettman here in Vancouver

…tomatoes ! …READY !!! :)

62. 24AW says:

Repeat after me – Our Father!!!!!!!!

I wonder how much money people had to pay for reds for today’s game? I am sure they are happy to hear that players realized that they didn’t have a good game. That’s gotta be comforting.

• Psycho29 says:

If you didn’t pay for reds today I wouldn’t worry about it. Enjoy your Flames instead.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Hopefully Matty might shed some light on this.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Chill Timo. It is 1 game man…

• Dunboyne Mike says:

UKE! You were there!
        What did I miss?!
        You said, “He’s the original”.
        I welcomed him back.
        Leave my computer for 40 minutes…
        Modded! Did he misbehave or, as HiS suggested, was it just history?

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Hey Mike. He behaved…as far as I know. Not to sure why he got modded. Certainly did not give me a hard time at all…wierd

• johnnylarue says:

For what it’s worth, he called one of my posts THE DUMBEST POST EVER and congratulated me for it… before being rather unceremoniously booted shortly thereafter.

I wasn’t offended by the comment, nor am I particularly heartbroken to see him gone.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Please note that this post by johnnylarue can only be deemed as hearsay, inadmissible in court until…

• Dunboyne Mike says:

… it has been “CONFIRMED”.

(so SO sorry — sometimes the most obvious quip just cannot be left unsaid).

• johnnylarue says:

If anything, this whole episode “CONFIRMS” what I’ve been hearing from parents all across this proud nation: it’s damn near impossible to find a good babysitter these days. ;)

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Open your window and listen out for a transpolar whoooosh coming your way from Ireland!

(I can’t believe he gave you “DUMBEST POST EVER” before he gave it to me….)

64. Sportfan says:

I’ve missed every bad game except one this post season, I’ll be wtaching game 2 its not over guys!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

65. JF says:

Three powerplay goals in just over three minutes. Wow! That had better be it for the Rangers’ powerplay in this series.

66. Psycho29 says:

Missed the game due to a family thing…
    Sounded bad, but just one game. The boys will come back strong Monday.

Just did a quick scan of the live blog comments. Wow, the doom and gloom losers are back….
    Where were “Smartdog” and Timo when this team was 8-3 vs Tampa and Boston? No surprise there.

67. chrskwn says:

chris kreider, the same piece of shit that took out craig anderson last season

• Max says:

Yup.He’s not much of of a player but is a fast north south skater that approaches the net with reckless abandon and skates into goalies.

68. Dunboyne Mike says:

What did I miss?
    I was talking to someone who appears to have been modded. Had to go upstairs to read a bed-time story. When I come back, gone!

What happened?

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I think Mike number one has a long memory :)

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Thanks HiS. Was unaware of any history. Just thought he was a guy whose “CONFIRMED” schtick amused some, annoyed others. And he didn’t seem to mind the abuse he drew.

Is there a story worth telling?

(And, are you saying I’m NOT Mike number one?!)

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I’m not here 24/7 like others, …when here I had thought His CONFIRMED !!! was a funny entertaining meme …but, maybe there is a story someOne else knows about

• Dunboyne Mike says:

There must be, but no one’s biting….
            (Well except johnnyL, but that could hardly be the key episode….)

This team is an effing joke. LA didn’t get blown after the most improbably comeback agasint Sharks. They won’t get their a$$es handed to them tomorrow either. 2010 all over again. Every single player sucked from both goalies on. Effing joke.

70. AK_PK_Usay says:

Every team has an off night. We should make peace with it.

HOWEVER, why didnt anyone engage Kreiger after he intentionally ran into Price? This disappointed me more than anything.

Through the darkness, I see light, I always said, and you can check my profile, big fan of Eller. I’d say these playoffs, he proved he’s the gritty two way center not enough people appreciate. Given quality wingers, that dont get swapped (he seems to like playing with the SAME wingers to get chemistry) he will be 2-3 center for years to come.

As much as I don’t like DD for lack of size, he’s playing big, Paciorety is playing like a 5″2 little girl. I am beyond discusted for his lack of showing up. Andrei Kosty would have been crucified for half such a shitty play through 12 games. No memorable cheks, just two goals… wow… just wow… Vanek, you want to sign this guy? for what? the 6mil+ he will earn next year are an awful waste.

I think Paciorety is young enough, that this is just learning curve, not like Habs played much in playoffs in last 5 years.

Vodkov is getting old, sad to see a great Hab become too old to keep up with the game.

Future looks bright. Sadly, we need to unload Pleks or DD for some more grit.

Pleks+1st rounder for Kane (Evander obviously). That guy has winner all over him. With some tutelage from PK he will be the ultimate power forward that can drop them… Habs badly need someone like him.

Looking how Bruins turned Iggy into a douchebag, Habs can turn Kane classy.

71. BJ says:

If indeed Price is hurt we should return the favor. I don’t have much faith in Budaj. I would definitely go with Tokarski. Thats assuming Price is not ready for the next game. Additionally it was a poor result and if we deserve to go to the finals we have to play our game and be much more agressive on Lundqvist.

72. JUST ME says:

It`s not as if anyone was to blame cause everyone is . Sh#t happens that`s all. I was uninterested in the game as they seemed to be so i can`t even pretend that i would have done better ! That one is out of the way so next ! suivant !

• habstrinifan says:

was uninterested in the game as they seemed to be so i can`t even pretenD… very honestly put. Hope the team itself has analyzeed the type and level of opponent Rangers are… cant say I have.

73. PK says:

Go Habs Go!!!

>>>>> Les Canadiens sont là

74. Habitforming says:

I think the answer to if Price was injured or not lies in the actions of the players in the third period. Prust hacking and whacking Kreider for his (Intentional) skate first slam into Price, show that he did indeed injure Carey. How serious? who knows.

75. habsfan0 says:

Subban will go wild next game.

76. Dunboyne Mike says:

slyCH, I could almost swear that McGuire also said foreplay instead of forecheck. Did you catch that one?

Yeah, my preference is for RDS, too, but the stream has been freezing a lot during the playoffs, every 2-3 minutes today.

And yes, AV’s class was a welcome change.

77. Dunboyne Mike says:

Request deletion, please!

Some of us don’t want EITHER of you out of here.

78. boing007 says:

I like crab apples. Had a tree in our backyard in California. Yummy.

Richard R

79. johnnylarue says:

I don’t think it would be worth sacrificing the emotional health of the entire female population of Manhattan just to win a hockey game, Sly.

That said, I wouldn’t be opposed to stashing a rotting fish or rat carcass somewhere around his net just to throw him off his game a little…

80. CJ says:

Thank you. And no, I’m not in the business of lying. When I say I’m doing or have done something it’s because I am, or have.

81. Mondou6 says:

Someone should have run Lundqvist. Period. The Rangers rely on him like we rely on Price.

If the Rangers try to kill Price, we have to do the same to Lundqvist. It’s the only response. It had to be done.

82. CJ says:

Thank you. You are very kind. Key West is a terrific place. I actually just saw a commemorative glass we picked up on our cruise – durty Harry’s (202 Duval street it says). I do look forward to returning. Cheers, CJ

83. PK says:

Habs will be back … No worries.
    If Price is out, we will potentially get good goaltending from Boods and/or Toker.
    + Price may not be out for the whole series?
    I say .. bring it on!!
    The Sky is still up there

>>>>> Les Canadiens sont là

84. Nope. I was half expecting them to have a poor showing because of the emotional letdown after beating the B’s. Still, I didn’t think they’d still BE in Boston. =/

They’ll bounce back for game 2.

Defense wins championships

“To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible.” St. Thomas Aquinas

85. UKRAINIANhab says:

I have friends who are Russian who hate Putin. I have lost friends who are Russian who like him. I come from a very hard disciplined pro Ukraine military family. Yes this has happened to me :)

86. kalevine says:

haha good one. I live in Boston and it was a B’s fan who texted me when it was 2-0 late in the first. Actually when I slowed down to normal speed, THAT was when I couldn’t see the Rangers!

87. UKRAINIANhab says:

Thanks SlyCh!

88. frozengolf says:

+1 :)

_________________________________________________________
    “We know that hockey is where we live, where we can best meet and overcome pain and wrong and death. Life is just a place where we spend time between games.”

89. Loop_Garoo says:

I married ( and divorced ) a girl from just outside Worcester, a little town called Whitensville. I love that state, even the city of Boston.