Habs’ Gorges has surgery on fractured hand, out four weeks

The Canadiens announced that defenceman Josh Gorges had surgery on his fractured left hand Monday and will be out for an estimated four weeks. There are five weeks remaining in the regular season.

The surgery was performed by Dr. Paul Martineau. Gorges is believed to have suffered the injury when he blocked a shot with his hand during a game against the Toronto Maple Leafs on March 1.

In 63 games this season, Gorges has 1-12-13 totals with 12 penalty minutes and is plus-7. Gorges ranks second in the NHL in blocked shots with 173, trailing only Philadelphia’s Andrew MacDonald, who has 203.

The last time the NHL played a full 82-game season in 2011-12, it took 92 points to make the playoffs in the Eastern Conference. That’s the same season the Canadiens finished last in the conference with 78 points. The season before, 2010-11, it took 93 points to make the playoffs

To reach 92 points this season, the Canadiens (35-24-7) would need 15 points in their final 16 games.

The Canadiens returned home Sunday after going 1-3 on their Western U.S. road trip and were given the day off Monday. They will practise Tuesday at the Bell Centre, when they will also have their official team photo taken, and then face the Boston Bruins Wednesday night at the Bell Centre (7:30 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690). The Ottawa Senators will visit the Bell Centre Saturday and then the Canadiens will be in Buffalo the next night to face the Sabres.

Brandon Prust, who has been sidelined with an upper-body injury, is expected to return to the lineup Wednesday. The Canadiens are also hoping to have Carey Price, who is day-to-day with a lower-body injury, back in goal against the Bruins. His condition will be updated at Tuesday’s practice. The Canadiens are 3-3-1 without Price since he was injured at the Olympics.

TVA’s Renaud Lavoie reported on Twitter that Price skated Monday morning.

Meanwhile, George Stroumboulopoulos was named as the new host of Hockey Night in Canada on Monday. The CBC personality will anchor NHL coverage beginning next season.

Don Cherry, Ron MacLean, Daren Millard and Jeff Marek were also announced as “cornerstones” of Rogers’s coverage when it takes over the national NHL rights. Cherry and MacLean will continue to host Coach’s Corner every Saturday.

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

GM Bergevin has given Habs a chance to win, by Jack Todd

Habs limp home after brutal stretch, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Stroumboulopoulos new host of HNIC, sportsnet.ca

Longer overtime to be discussed at GM meetings, NHL.com

1. Steeltown Hab says:

How is Beaulieu not with the team?

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

2. BriPro says:

It looks as though MT is finally dishing out some Bork medicine!

Arpon Basu:
    Rene Bourque skated on what appeared to be #Habs 5th line with Parros and Weise

3. BriPro says:

Jessica Rusnak:
    Power play PP1: Vanek-Desharnais-Pacioretty – Subban- Markov
    PP2: Briere-Plekanec-Gallagher- Bouillon- Markov/Subban

4. GL says:

We have to find more scoring with this team if we are gonna make the playoffs. I think these three lines could provide it.

Paciotetty … Desharnais … Vanek
    Galchenyuk … Plekanec … Gallagher
    Briere … Eller …Gionta

IMO that’s as good as it gets with what we have!!

5. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

I have a beef with the new playoff setup. I find it stupid that after the first round of the playoffs, teams get home ice advantage based on seeding at not overall points.

I understand having the division winner (even with less point) get home ice, but to carry that on to the second round, just makes the regular season even more pointless.

If montreal were to fiinish 3rd in the conference overall, and 3rd in their division. they might still have to play their playoff matches on the road against higher seeded in the other division. thats non sense, how can at tem that lets say has 100 points loose home ice to a team that has 70. its a huge flaw in the play-off system that just makes the regular season even more pointless,

6. Mattyleg says:

John Lu ‏@JohnLuTSNMtl 4m

How do #Habs fans spell “progress”? Price practising with the team (not alone), down in his normal butterfly. pic.twitter.com/jak4U4Evyy

—Hope Springs Eternal—

7. GGtheHab says:

Doing a litle math I have come up with this as our likely hood of making the playoffs…if we go .500 and get to 93 points the teams trailing us would need the following:
    Det & Columbus 11 wins-7losses
    Carolina 15-3
    Ott & Wash 11-5-1
    NJ 12-5
    Fla-NYI-Buff can not reach 93 points. So it is not a lock that we are in, but at this point in time there is no need to panic…too much…but the faster we get to 93 points the easier we can breathe..Price is the X factor..without him we are on the bubble big time

8. Thomas Le Fan says:

Oh man! After a rigourous practise today, I hope they aren’t so tired they take a day off tomorrow even if MT doesn’t give them one.
    Strombo as host? Why not? Too intelligent for hockey? At least it isn’t PJ Stock.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

9. Mattyleg says:

Arpon Basu just tweeted that all 3 goalies are on the ice for warmup.

Prust in full-contact jersey, Bournival, no contact.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• shiram says:

Yup it’s cool, we’ll have 3 goalies on the team pic.

The fact Tokarski is still around makes me believe Price isn’t in the lineup tomorrow.

• Luke says:

Bournival no contact?

Why? Is he just standing out there in a corner by himself avoiding everyone or are they avoiding him?
      What’s his body language like?
      Are they ignoring him completely? What about eye contact? Are they at least making that?

This kind of Social, or professional, isolation can be delibitating.

Is he lonely?

Another example of how MT is screwing up the team.

10. SmartDog says:

If I had my druthers, I would druther that Bergevin traded Markov and Gionta instead of picking up Vanek. But getting a marquee player like Vanek at a reasonable price (though still at a real cost), to me is a good sign that Bergevin is able and willing to make a real deal.

But these rumours of signing Gionta for 2 more years. Oy. I hope they’re not true. Nothing to me would signal more clearly that this team is still over-relying on aging veterans instead of building with youth. Gionta is no longer a force out there. And as a Captain, I don’t see any sign of important leadership. He’s Josh Gorges light. Time for a new captain and a new vision. Please do NOT sign Gionta.
    ————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• mrhabby says:

there is no one on the farm so then its the FA route which will cost you just as much.

• habstrinifan says:

100 percent agree! I see no upside in re-signing Gionta.. either for leadership or veteran presence or defensive work or whatever. If Habs needs Gionta in 2014-215 then things arent headed forward.

EDIT: I am not slamming GIONTA.. I am insisting that the HABS move on and and hopefully Gionta can move on to another team.

• shiram says:

Well if he was re-signed for a third line role, and possibly subbing in the top 6 with injury it would not be so bad, depending on term/years.

There’s just no one to replace him on the farm or already on the big Club.
      Free agency is a crap shoot.

• habstrinifan says:

Why do you need to replace Gionta’s (very specifically) contribution in 2014-2015.

• shiram says:

Cause we got no other solid 2 way right winger.
          Well we have some, but they mostly are 4th liners like Moen/Prust/Weise.

I mean even if specifically you are not trying to replace what Gio brought, you still need a new right winger to take his spot.

• theflukester says:

I really hope that is not true. He signed DD and we all know DD would have a hard time making any team. My guess, he wanted to make sure DD had some sort of NHL career. Gionta? Who wants this guy?… I’m willing to bet you there has been zero interest in him and MB is gonna do it to secure his future a little more in the NHL. Gionta might be a nice guy etc but he does nothing on the ice worthy of needing him any further. He’s like Gomez, retire already! You’re done.

Play every game as if it is your last one. Guy Lafleur

• wjc says:

reasonable price and real high cost are contradictions.

You want Markov gone when clearing the zone and defence withhaving an experienced player is at a preimuim.

Gionta serves a big purpose, it is not just obvious to a smart dog. It is hard to see leadership from your basement. Leadership is not a living thing it is a happening. It is not something you can observe like say a ‘dog turd’ it is more abstract, personal, felt and accepted.

How did Josh Gorge become the lightning rod for all things bad.

Time for keeping the status quo going into important part of the season and playoffs. Stick to barking at your tail.

wjc

• theflukester says:

Sorry I don’t see where you get Gionta and Leadership. Yes, Gionta stinks on the ice but he’s a Leader and someone to look at? Yikes. Gionta sucks, pure plain and simple.

Play every game as if it is your last one. Guy Lafleur

11. Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

I wonder if the Viking scores in practice or pre-game warm-ups? If I was the Habs goalie, I’d let in everyone of his shots. You know, just to boost his confidence. I’d have the other players go over and congratulate him afterwards too. It might arouse some old memories of what it was like to score. Okay, back to the serious discussions…take it away Timo.

• wjc says:

You were not being serious, thank heavens for that.

Vanek does not need your charity, he could teach them a thing or two about a thing or two.

Let him score, jump the other way on a shot and look disappointed then the team pats him on the back and high fives him, this happens over and over. Give him a star for his helmet and tell him he is wonderful…..positve…..Yaaaaa used used the potty…..yaaaa.

wjc

12. habstrinifan says:

Why aren’t more people jumping on my line combination of Vanek,Eller, Briere? I think, at this point in the season, when we need to establish some 5 on 5 productive consistency.. this line combination gives us the best potential option without any disruption.

Question #1. Why did we get Briere?
    Question #2. Why did we then get Vanek?
    Question #3 . Of all the young forwards which player’s enigmatically deteriorated play needs be resolved NOW. Eller!

As I said:

1)You cannot go into the playoffs changing Plekanec’s and Gionta’s role. You also cannot expect Plekanec’s playoff goal scoring to surface when historical evidence says NOT NOT NOT.
    2)You cannot go into the playoffs with Briere as a spot duty 4th liner. I mean do I even need to explain this statement. I am sure not to MB.
    3)Plekanec’s and Gionta’s most energetic stretch of hockey came with Bournival. Put Bournival there (you absolutely lose nothing defensively and gain a huge lot more strutured offense weapon than if you put Eller there (Eller is a wanderer a flair player… suited to Vanek and Briere). If Bournival is still injured put Galchenyuk.

• SmartDog says:

I’m all for that. I’m for ANY combination that puts Vanek with younger, bigger, energetic players. Not with Pleks and Gionta. Not with Bourque. Not with the perennial 3rd and 4th liners.

Put Vanek with any of these guys – Eller, Galchenyuk, DD, Patches, Briere (familiarity). OR seperate Pleks and Gionta. Give Pleks TWO scoring wingers. Make Eller-Gionta-? the shut-donw line. Eller did well when given a defensive assignment.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• theflukester says:

I gave up a long time ago on why we have so-so but I fully agree with your lineup. Vanek would be better off with those guys. Problem is MT has no clue how to use his players and unfortunately everyone above him is oblivious. These days I am more worried about who we will give away because of MT.

Play every game as if it is your last one. Guy Lafleur

• wjc says:

Jump all over it……the karma wouldn’t let me. The bad karma has a hold of me and the epoch just sits there.

The good karma is at the forum, refusing to leave, waiting for the Rocket, I guess.

Your lines are excellent I shall tell Therien when I see him later. Great lines….and he will probably say, ” Why didn’t I think of this, I am a bad coach….waaaaaaaaa…..Now, now Micky, I bought your favorite a twinkey and a peanut butter sandwhich………he says….thanks.

wjc

13. BriPro says:

Good thing I didn’t head to Brossard for their morning practice.
    They’re at the Bell Centre for their team picture.

14. Ron says:

Rene Lavoie tweets that he does not see Price starting againist Boston tomorrow night.

Wonder where he got this or just spec..

• D Mex says:

Interesting.
      It was posted here yesterday that CP turned an ankle while celebrating with Team Canada in Sochi.
      Mike Babcock has also stated that he was unaware of any issues that CP was dealing with during the Sochi tournament.

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

• wjc says:

Something is going on here. Conspiracy anyone.

Turning an ankle…….who’s ankle?

Does his wife know?

Is Babcock lieing, or his he hiding something?

Aw the possibilities

wjc

Am guessing he hasn’t really had a full true practise yet. Seems to me they aren’t willing to say he is close enough to get that kind of test yet.

Wow, really need a big game out of Budaj, and all the skaters better give it their all. This is a huge game tomorrow for the Habs.

• shiram says:

Budaj has done good against the Bruins, here’s hoping he continues on his roll.
        I have to say that I’m more concerned about our D defending, and our forward scoring.

• BriPro says:

TSN690 were reporting this morning that, watching Price on the ice yesterday morning (I guess it was an optional practice), he was able to move side-to-side, no problem, but getting up was an issue.
        To me, this means a knee. And if he’s blown or stretched a tendon, it could be a while.
        If that’s the case, I think we might be in trouble.

15. Despite a having no key injuries all season (barring the last couple of games without Price), we’re:

– 23rd in G/G
    – 24th in SoG/G
    – Just a 21.2% chance of winning when trailing after the 1st (good for 27th)
    – A pathetic 7.4% chance of winning when trailing after the 2nd (also 27th)

If a team with primary and secondary scorers like Pleks, Gallagher, Vanek, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Subban, Markov, Briere, Eller, etc. is unable to generate offence for much longer, Therrien is going to really have to look himself in the mirror…

On the defensive side though, the numbers are pretty great:

– 2.47 GA/G, good for 10th
    – 84.6% PK, good for 4th
    – An 84.8% record when scoring first, good for 4th
    – An 81% record when leading after the 1st, good for 8th

All this tells me he’s a good bad-team coach who’d be able to clamp down defensively and get more points than most out of a roster like Buffalo or NYI. He was quite reasonably brought in to take a bad team and make it good. But Montreal is starting to add some flashy, skilled scorers and he’s still in hermetic hockey mode. Sadly, IMO he’s no longer the right man for the job.

Devils coach Jacques Lemaire on the Daneyko-Kaminski feud – “Daneyko got mad when Kaminski said he was going to knock his teeth out. Dano has only two teeth left, so you can’t say that to Dano.”

16. habs_54321 says:

patch DD Gallagher
    vanek briere galch
    bourque plex gionta
    moen white weise

eller can replace bourque after a few practices as a winger

17. kingcammy says:

Eller will never have 40 assists with the linemates that he plays with

18. kingcammy says:

Hey who else wants to see Montreal face Halak and da Washington capitals this spring?

• crane says:

word on street Gionta two year deal 7 million

• D Mex says:

Take a right at the next stop sign and try another street …

ALWAYS Habs –
        D Mex

• habstrinifan says:

If ‘word is true’ I dint get if you like or not. I dont like re-signing Gionta under any circumstances (too many young uns in the organization needing to be slotted in) but if that is MB’s intention, do you think Gionta will take a lesser contract.

• D Mex says:

I would much prefer not to see Gionta back on the team. He has done a workmanlike job as team captain, but there is an opportunity here to make his depature part of the roster transition.
            I won’t be part of slamming him, tho.

ALWAYS Habs –
            D Mex

• 24 Cups says:

In terms of next season, I can’t see any yung uns who are ready to step in on RW. If we don’t re-sign Gionta I figure we’ll have to sign an UFA.

• D Mex says:

So be it.
            Put the “C” on Pleks and keep rolling …

ALWAYS Habs –
            D Mex

• mrhabby says:

its very understandable. Habs have no one in the farm that could take the place of Gionta and if they go out to the FA market its going to cost you. The trade route would cost you pics/prospects/roster player. Tough spot.

• The_Truth says:

Prefer not honestly

• wjc says:

Halak versus Price……Who would like to see that??? me me me me me me me me me me me and yes me.

wjc

Out of all the 16 teams that are presently seeded for the playoffs, only one has a negative GD with Toronto being -3. Montreal has a GD of 0. The Habs goals scored total of 166 is the lowest in their conference and 3rd lowest of the entire 16 playoff teams mentioned.

Let’s score some goals boys!

20. kingcammy says:

Ya but how much do you think Eller is gonna produce while playing with burque/parros/prust

• DipsyDoodler says:

His most frequent partner has been Galchenyuk.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

Galchenyuk needs to be playing top 6 mins, maybe not this season, but next season forsure (In my opinion).

He is the top talent stud we got and needs those minutes and needs to be surrounded with talent. Playing Galchenyuk and Eller together almost seems like a double negative, as they aren’t enhancing each others performance.

21. Hstands4Hockey says:

Anyone else notice how dangerously close this team is to falling out of a playoff spot? Better pick up the slack.

——————————————————————–
    Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
    @Hstands4Hockey

22. BriPro says:

This is completely off-topic, but in the same area as Dipsy’s post on the Niagara region, and how the cold will affect it.

One of my customers is the biggest honey processing company in the world (this is his claim, and he’s as wealthy as anyone I’ve ever met….I digress).

He’s saying that the bees’ devastation (due to mostly pesticides, not radio or cellular waves as announced by the media) has already had irreparable damage to the bees population and to honey collection.

The cost of honey is about to sky rocket. He refuses to buy honey from China, given their poor food standards. Last year, the U.S., which usually consumes 470MM pounds of honey, could only collect 80MM.

In Canada, a total of 50MM pounds was available, down from 80-100MM in years previous.

So if any of you are big honey consumers, I would suggest that you stock up, before the price goes through the roof.

This concludes our public service announcement.

Now back to Hockey Madness in Montreal.

Thanks for the tip honey!

• Thank you sir!

• shiram says:

I’m not big on honey, but it’s concerning on a polenization front.
      Some place are already turning to hand polenizing their plants.

• BJ says:

Thanks for that, I particularly love Buckwheat honey. I think its time to forget about Lybia, Ukraine, Iran and go after Monsanto in St. Louis.

• Luke says:

Oh we don’t need to worry about the bees. I’m sure someone already has a patented breed of genetically engineered polinaters that resist the pesticides that they created to decimate the non-copyrighted bees.

(and I’m NOT a conspiracy guy).

• SmartDog says:

rose coloured glasses

————————————-
          Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• wjc says:

Actually, Luke has a valid point. There is a company, an actual company that can take the smell molecules from blue berries, cherries, strawberries (the list is endless).

They take them back to the lab and produce the exact flavors for any product you can name. It is called ‘natural flavors’.

They then turn it into a powder form (all pretend flavors) and add them flavors to any and all products that want them.

An example is they are sold to the people who make french fries for McDonalds and give them that unique flavor.

They can enhance flavors to taste, smell better then the real thing you may produce in your own kitchen….thus you develop a taste for products and a craving and a waist line to go with it. Thus the obese explosion. The taste the smells that weaken your resolve.

For futher information on this subject you can google 60 minutes/flavors and watch these geniuses do there thing.

A p.s they can put ‘natural flavors’ on the label and you have no idea that there is nothing natural about it.

wjc

• frontenac1 says:

They don’t need honey for booze or tobacco, right?

• habstrinifan says:

Big honey guy here. Thanks for the tip. Won’t see my ‘supplier’ until next week though. He is a cousin of a cousin who sells honey from his farm in Quebec. Which of course is why I am against the separatists. I love me Quebec honies.

23. kingcammy says:

I didn’t say he is Staal I said I see Staal in his potential. Tho I honestly don’t believe it’ll happen in Montreal

@Kingcammy, I still believe in Lars Eller and I really hope he is re-signed by the Habs. I just don’t think his offensive upside is as high as perhaps we were wanting it to be at the time of the trade etc…

Going forward, I think he can be an excellent 3rd line center for this team, playing strong defensively and providing some decent scoring, perhaps he can become a consistent 20 goal scorer for us.

• BriPro says:

You’re definitely on the side of the rational, Gerry.
        But I would argue that he’ll have to become a consistent 10-goal scorer before he can become a 20-goal scorer.

And good morning, by the way.

I still don’t believe he has had the benefit of 2 wingers who suit the style of play which I am thinking of. As an example, Rene Bourque, if he is playing to his potential he is a big scoring winger who should be on a teams top 6. His role is to score goals and provide a big body presence near the crease. His hockey acumen is not in providing 200 feet of hard play. Seems to me he can get lost in the defensive end of the rink quite easily. Brandon Prust would be an excellent winger for him and Brian Gionta would also. Problem is Gionta is already playing this role with Plex.

Essentially we have two lines playing as checking lines right now, 1 line playing as a scoring line and a 4th line which when healthy provides some energy.

Somethings need to be changed, we have to have at least 2 lines designed to score more.

• shiram says:

Considering Gionta’s reduced production but still steady 2 way play, he’d be perfect for third line duties, and could help Eller out.

But we don’t have top 6 depth…

• habs-fan-84 says:

That’s my hope as well.

• Luke says:

I predict in Lar’s Eller’s career best year he’ll finish with about 20 goals and about 60 points.
        And it’ll be the season leading into his UFA off-season, naturally.

• The_Truth says:

Eric Staal potential? Not close. I would be happy if could reach the level of a Matt Cullen in his prime.

24. kingcammy says:

Hey mattyleg sometimes I wish I was as pathetic as you. You probably have an awsom life enjoying mediocre hockey your whole life

• Mattyleg says:

I do have an awesome life with mediocre hockey, Kingo.
      I guess you don’t.
      Kind of sad, really, that the quality of hockey can have such an adverse effect on your entire life, though, isn’t it?

And if you try really hard, you too can be as pathetic as me. I have complete faith in you.

Hugs and kisses!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• wjc says:

Mattyleg. Like me you have an awesome life with some hockey thrown in.

Perhaps, like me, how the Canadiens do, does not change my life up or down. Just an observer and if they go to the sidelines I feel bad for a couple of minutes, then count my blessings.

I realize I have no say, imput or stake in this team. They are there for a purpose and it has nothing to do with my purpose.l

So if a Leaf fan tries to rub a loss in, I say ” thats the way it goes, hope you guys do well, love some of your players” They usually do not know what the comeback is, so they say, you know you guys aren’t so bad. I say…..cheers.

wjc

25. kingcammy says:

Agreed lacks the offensive spark, which can be ignited if coached and used properly, common we’ve seen flashes of brilliance from this guy! Please don’t waste that away

26. JUST ME says:

It`s not an excuse , it`s a fact. I agree with you that it does not make it right but it`s the NHL reality.
    It happens to every team in the league, too many games not enough skills and compete level.
    One cannot compare the commitment level of a regular season`s game with the playoff`s though.
    Do you really really think that they aim to please ?

27. Mattyleg says:

Oh, hi there.
    This was originally a reply to a modded comment.
    Thank you for modding that junk.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

28. kingcammy says:

I look at Eller and I see an Eric Staal. If trained coached and used in the right way, yet we have a way of misusing our talented young ones and running them out of town

• shiram says:

I like Eller as much as the next guy, but he’s not Eric Staal, not even close.
      I mean they are both tall hockey players, but it pretty much ends there.
      Staal has got that hockey sense that allows him to be a great offensive player.
      Eller’s got some good hockey tools to work with, but lacks that offensive spark.

• The_Truth says:

Seeing Eller as an Eric Staal is like seeing Leblanc as a Damphousse. It’s just not there. Saying Eller has been misused is just excuses. The guy has been given plenty of opportunity and just has never come through, except for 10 games once.

Moen could be Milan Lucic as well, but has been misused.

29. BJ says:

Here’s my take on our recent western road trip. The message MT has to deliver in the dressing room is this and I want to see it on 24CH: “Along with ‘Antimatter’ and ‘Dark Matter’ we’ve recently discovered the existence of ‘Doesn’t Matter’ which appears to have no effect on the universe whatsoever” so lets move on……

If he can do that using Art Bell’s deep booming voice, I think you are on to something. (Granted I have always thought that Art Bell in real life has a high pitched voice and that his producers alter his voice for Dark Matter radio show)