Habs’ Gorges has surgery on fractured hand, out four weeks

The Canadiens announced that defenceman Josh Gorges had surgery on his fractured left hand Monday and will be out for an estimated four weeks. There are five weeks remaining in the regular season.

The surgery was performed by Dr. Paul Martineau. Gorges is believed to have suffered the injury when he blocked a shot with his hand during a game against the Toronto Maple Leafs on March 1.

In 63 games this season, Gorges has 1-12-13 totals with 12 penalty minutes and is plus-7. Gorges ranks second in the NHL in blocked shots with 173, trailing only Philadelphia’s Andrew MacDonald, who has 203.

The last time the NHL played a full 82-game season in 2011-12, it took 92 points to make the playoffs in the Eastern Conference. That’s the same season the Canadiens finished last in the conference with 78 points. The season before, 2010-11, it took 93 points to make the playoffs

To reach 92 points this season, the Canadiens (35-24-7) would need 15 points in their final 16 games.

The Canadiens returned home Sunday after going 1-3 on their Western U.S. road trip and were given the day off Monday. They will practise Tuesday at the Bell Centre, when they will also have their official team photo taken, and then face the Boston Bruins Wednesday night at the Bell Centre (7:30 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690). The Ottawa Senators will visit the Bell Centre Saturday and then the Canadiens will be in Buffalo the next night to face the Sabres.

Brandon Prust, who has been sidelined with an upper-body injury, is expected to return to the lineup Wednesday. The Canadiens are also hoping to have Carey Price, who is day-to-day with a lower-body injury, back in goal against the Bruins. His condition will be updated at Tuesday’s practice. The Canadiens are 3-3-1 without Price since he was injured at the Olympics.

TVA’s Renaud Lavoie reported on Twitter that Price skated Monday morning.

Meanwhile, George Stroumboulopoulos was named as the new host of Hockey Night in Canada on Monday. The CBC personality will anchor NHL coverage beginning next season.

Don Cherry, Ron MacLean, Daren Millard and Jeff Marek were also announced as “cornerstones” of Rogers’s coverage when it takes over the national NHL rights. Cherry and MacLean will continue to host Coach’s Corner every Saturday.

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

GM Bergevin has given Habs a chance to win, by Jack Todd

Habs limp home after brutal stretch, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Stroumboulopoulos new host of HNIC, sportsnet.ca

Longer overtime to be discussed at GM meetings, NHL.com

1. kingcammy says:

Mr. Hansen don’t u see that the areas they lack in, are what win playoff games

• wjc says:

Haven’t you heard…playoffs are over rated.

Nice weather, time to watch less television, time for the real world, time to stop freezing and shoveling and winterizing everything. Hockey gets me through the freeze and into the breeze. Life is good and hockey is good, and enjoying them both is even good-er.

wjc

2. boonie says:

My four-year-old plays with new toys as soon as he gets them. That way he knows if he likes them right away.

Hockey is the same.

Murray gets his Walrus the Hemsky action figure. Walrus plays with him immediately and likes his production. Maloney gets Tippett Erat – with the kung fu grip. Tippett plays him and Erat doubles his goal total. Fletcher gets Moulson on sale for Yeo. Yeo plays him and he produces.

My son tells me what toys he likes every day. I try to get the ones he likes so I don’t waste my time and money.

My son and I are on the same page.

I really wonder if MB and MT are on the same page.

MB signs Briere. MT doesn’t play him much and then plays him on a fourth line with Parros. Clearly, not a toy Therrien wanted. Bergy gets Vanek and MT doesn’t know how to play him. Maybe Vanny didn’t come with batteries. Or his instructions are in gibberish Austrian translated to Chinese translated into English translated into French.

If Smart is looking for new ditch-MT fodder, it’s this. MT and MB are not on the same page. Their visions don’t align.

• Mattyleg says:

He played Briere plenty.
      For the first six games, Briere played over 14 minson the second line, with a high of just over 17:00, and produced one goal and two assists.

And also, do you think that comparing 36-year-old Briere straight up against two 30-year-olds and a 32-year-old is fair?

Do you think that we should be playing a 36-year-old forward just under 20 mins per game is a good idea?

-edit- We’ve only had Vanek 2 games, and he played 15 and 17 mins, and got 3 shots in the second game. Our team didn’t play well for either of those games, so there’s no reason why he should have lit the place up.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• habsguru says:

@matty

HIO rules (unofficial) state that you need to make an action figure reference in your rebuttal

• Mattyleg says:

Okay (deep breath).

I think MT is still taking the Vanek action figure out of the box.
          The new plastic they put on those things is really difficult to remove, you know.

Also, as he was taking him out of the box, the action figures on his Hoth Base setup began to fall over and their guns wouldn’t sit straight in their hands, so he had to quickly stick the Vanek one in there without his Hoth Battle Gear uniform.

That’s why, at the end, when MT looked at it all, and saw that Vanek was facing the wrong way, and was surrounded by droid action-figures, he wasn’t happy.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Mavid says:

HAHAHAHA..laughing out loud in the office..when I should be working

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

3. knob says:

I’m starting to get a bit nervous about this Price injury. Price is the player that sets us above the Torontos, Detroits, and Ottawas of the East. Hopefully he is back no later then Saturday.

I would love to see the following line-up (it seems like the current trend to do this, so here goes):

MaxPac-DD-Gallagher
    Vanek-Galchenyuk-Briere
    Eller-Plekanec-Gionta
    Prust-White-Weisse

Markov-Subban (ride this pair until they collapse)
    Emelin-Tinordi
    Murray-Bouillon

I would also like to see this for the PP:
    Gallagher-DD-MaxPac-Subban-Markov
    Briere-Plekanec-Eller-Vanek-Galchenyuk (yeah I said it: Vanek and Galchenyuk on the points).

4. Mattyleg says:

Good morning everyone!

If this is the first post you read today, please make Hobie’s post below the second. It’ll make for a much better morning.

x x x

—Hope Springs Eternal—

I can endorse Hobie’s post, but am still skeptical of yours.

• Mattyleg says:

It was the kisses, wasn’t it?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Hobie Hansen says:

Lol. It’s the first time in years I “like” our team from top to bottom. Could it be better, obviously, but theere aren’t huge holes right now. We’re a bit bigger, more talented, solid goaltending…

Let’s roll the dice and see what happens here. maybe Boston is slightly better than us in the East, maybe Pittsburgh, but not by much if they are at all.

5. jimmy shaker says:

Anyone going to the game in Buffalo on sunday? Still deciding if I want to make the 4 hour trip from windsor and pay for good seats on stub hub.

Shaker out!

I was at the Hawks / Sabers game Sunday, the nice perk was the arena accepted Cdn. money at par. May be worth going to just buy a pop with a 100 dollar bill and make money off the exchange rate.

Sabers played the Hawks tough, they are playing with grit for Nolan.

6. habs-fan-84 says:

Let me clarify my position from last night with regards to the postponement of the Stars/Blue Jackets game.

Last night, I thought back to other horrific injuries in which the game was not postponed. I thought back to Zednik having his jugular slashed, Cole and Pacioretty having their necks broken, Pavelec’s on-ice collapse, Blake Geoffrion’s head injury etc. I feel that had you asked any of the players in those games, most would have agreed that they found it hard to focus after the incident and would have preferred the game be postponed.

In other sports we’ve seen NFL players carted off the fields only to find out later they’ve become paralyzed. We’ve seen auto-races continue after the death of a driver during the race (Greg Moore in 1999 comes to mind). All sickening and heart wrenching moments. The Greg Moore incident hits close to home as he was my favourite driver at the time and was gutted for days after.

I’ve now had 12 hours to think about last nights events and I don’t have a problem with them postponing the game if that’s how they players felt. I guess my concern would be the precedent it sets. Like I said earlier, I’m sure there were few players who wanted to go back on the ice after Pacioretty was wheeled off in a stretcher. What happens going forward after a serious accident? Are the players consulted?

For the record, had you asked me the night of the Pacioretty situation if I cared if they restarted the game, I would have said no. Again, I’m just curious of the precedent this sets.

Hope you guys understand.

• Luke says:

I believe they postponed the game when Jiri Fischer collapsed on the bench a few years back. Very similar situation to Peverley’s.

• Mattyleg says:

Yeah, I do understand, but there’s no way to legislate for something like this. I think it’s best for the referees and the coaches to gague the situation, and make the decision then.

If the decision is to re-start the game, maybe there should be a cool-down period, where both teams go on the ice for a skate-around/warm-up kind of thing, to get them re-focused and get the adrenaline out of their systems (imagine being the guy on the bench after something like that – your heart would be racing!) before re-starting the game. Going back into the dressing-room wouldn’t be a good idea if the guy is getting treatment there or in its vicinity.

Just going back to ‘business as usual’ is pretty crap, especially for the team who has just lost a comrade. Some kind of break is required, I think.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I’m not a professional athlete, but my team had a goaltender pass away during a game 7 years ago. From my experience (I actually missed that game due an exam at University) there is no way we could have continued with the game. Very scary situation last night and happy the medical professionals were able to act so quickly and save Peberly’s life.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• boing007 says:

Greg Moore’s accident, if I remember correctly, happened on the final lap of the race. I miss him too.

Richard R

7. DipsyDoodler says:

Here’s some news. Apparently the Great Lakes are storing up all the cold from this winter, which will make it an abnormally cold summer in Eastern Canada.

And now back to hockey.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

8. Slackman says:

Similar to what i saw a few posts down

SCORING LINE
    Patches – DD – Vanek

SCORING LINE
    Gallagher – Eller(Galchenyuk) – Galchenyuk(Eller)

SHUT-DOWN LINE
    Brière (Bournival) – Plekanec – Gionta

CHECKING LINE
    Weise(Bourque) – White – Moen(Prust)

If i was da boss that’s how I’d roll ‘em

“When the going get’s weird, the weird turn pro”

9. Steeltown Hab says:

Is our 4th line going to be Bournival – White – Prust when this team is healthy?

Looking forward to that if Bournival doesn’t crack top-9 (which he should)

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

10. jimmy shaker says:

Taranna can’t possibly beat the sharks tonight and the kings on Thurs. can they? Man they chap my ass, I hate them!

Shaker out!

11. Dust says:

Cant wait to find out the line combos
    Hoping for
    patches – DD – Vanek
    Briere – Pleks – Gio
    Chucky – Eller -Gally
    Moen – Prust – Bourque

Tinordi – Subban
    Markov – Emelin
    Murray – Weaver

• jimmy shaker says:

I was right there with you right up until I saw bourque on the 4th line. Scratch bourque and give me some weezy and I’d even be okay with whitey taking moen, or even big george getting penciled in. The fourth line has many interchangeable parts.

Shaker out!

• Dust says:

the reason i put bourque on the 4th is that he is a guy that can move up and play on the top two lines if needed. Also I would have to believe(hope) that playing with prust and moen maybe he would be more aggresive.

• jimmy shaker says:

Could possibly work…..but I’m basically done with this guy and would be happy to see him sit for the rest of the season. I think the promotion to top 2 lines would go to anyone on the third line you have listed above. It’s all good, u just have a little bit more patience or optimism for bourque than I do.

Shaker out

• CJ says:

If there is one thing that I have learned about line combinations, specifically the ideas shared on this forum, is that we all want something different. Chances are nobody is going to be completely satisfied with what Therien does today.

My proposal is no better than yours, but it is much different. I guess this is a round about way of saying I think that it’s cool that we all see the game a little differently. Thank you for sharing. Cheers, CJ

12. Hobie Hansen says:

Keep the faith ladies and gentlemen. Don’t let one lousy road trip in the middle of the trade deadline, without Carey Price and the loss of Josh Gorges fool you.

People are pissed Michel Therrien gave the Habs the day off yesterday? Remember what happened down the stretch last year when the team ran out of gas a few weeks before the playoffs and fell flat on their face, well there ya go.

Hard practice today, intense game against the Bruins tomorrow and couple more practices before the Sens on Saturday. We could even lose a tight game tomorrow and nobody should hit the panic button. We’ve beaten the Bruins five times in a row. It’s how we play that counts. If the Bruins win 3-2 and the GWG goes of a defenceman’s skate..nothing you can do.

So let’s stop with the whole sky is falling BS, sit back and watch the Habs start kicking some ass tomorrow.

• punkster says:

Good man Hobie. I’m with you on this.

Release the Subbang!!!

• Cal says:

too many who post here revel in any Habs loss and any laffs win. Tonight,I’ll be laughing at all laffs fans, especially when Phaneuf is caught for the GWG in the 2nd period.

• CJ says:

Good morning Hobie. Good post. A ray of sunshine on an otherwise cloudy day.

My concern is that the issues that I believe bear the greatest impact, have been prevalent for at least a month. Namely, my concern is on defence.

As noted yesterday, I think Price will come back, 100% healthy and on top of his game. I also think our forward lines get back on track and help to carry us going into the playoffs. My greatest concern however is the defence. Can we continue to overcome poor play?

I hope a couple of days off sets the boys straight. As you noted, we need a good practice today, followed by a good showing tomorrow. Then we have two more days of practice before another home game against the Sens. This is a big week and will go a long way to helping course correct. I haven’t lost hope, but we need to get rolling.

Fortunately, nothing seems to get the boys going more then a game against the Bruins.

• jimmy shaker says:

But it’s so hard not to!

Shaker out!

13. CJ says:

I don’t know that I have looked forward to seeing line combinations and updates on the health of players moreso then I have in advance of this morning’s practice.

I believe I read that the practice this morning was at the Bell Centre and closed to the public as the players will be taking their post deadline team photo. I hope Stubbs, etc are able to share updates.

With the Leafs winning and the Sens squeezing out a point, this has not been a great start to the week.

Any chance of a decent spring in Slowville will officially come to an end tomorrow afternoon. The forecast calls for 15-25cm, wind chill of -20 and winds from the north of 40km. I might have to start taking my empties back so I can pay my heating bill.

15. wjc says:

Question:

How many people on here have season’s tickets? Is it a pair or is it a single ticket?

Do you pay with a credit card?

How much is it for the season?

When the Canadiens won in 1993, some would have been teenagers and are today in there 30’s heading to 40.

If you were in your 20’s you could be almost 50.

Time travels fast and you realize it when you suddenly realize the distraction of team success has stopped.

Has your life travelled a similar route, highlight…then a lot of nothing happening. Oneof 30 teams, nothing special, just one of 30.

Flying high teenager, now just one of many on the way to 40 walking the treadmill. kids, mortgage, debts and your distraction not cooperating

wjc

• CJ says:

Good morning WJC. I have had season tickets on and off over the past 8 years. For five years I owned them myself. I had two seats in Section 206 (Club Desjardins), row B. Seats were between the net and the corner, in the Montreal end. Great sight lines. Best game I went to during that span was the 5-0 shutout of the Bruins in game 7.

More recently, including this season, I have been involved in a partnership for tickets in section 118, row W. These are really nice seats. They are low enough that you are getting the experience and sounds of the game, but high enough that you have a great vantage point of all the action. These tickets are located in the visitor’s end, again between the net and corner, so you see Montreal shoot twice.

Regarding prices, I think the Club Desjardins were in the $14,000 range for the season. I also paid an extra $500 per to put my name on both seats. The prices for Reds are listed on the website.

• wjc says:

Exccllent, so you have lived the ups and downs.

Surprised to hear about putting your name on the seats, never heard of that before. $500.00 to personalize them.

That $14.000.00 is paid right up front or can you pay as you go.

Well you certainly walk the walk and talk the talk, not like me sitting up in the box seats, not getting the real feel, from the real fans.

My viewing is with complmentary seats from the Corporattion and we entertain there, sometimes I wish I could just concentrate on the game more, but some are not that strong of fans. I might invite you up sometime if the opportunity presents itself

Sometimes there are games I would like to get to but the spots are taken, you have to planning ahead, schedule in hand.

wjc

16. habs-hampton says:

What’s more disturbing? the Canucks 3rd period collapse or Torts not completely flipping out at the news conference? I’m worried about Torts.

• Cal says:

Driving Luongo out of town with his petty “I’m going with the hot goalie” routine set Torts up for a game like this. Hockey karma exists, but it is a rare thing.

• habstrinifan says:

I cant help but wonder if that’s the problem with our HABS. We are in an epic epoch of bad Karma.. after all ‘good’ Karma seemed to have had ringside seat at the Forum.

• wjc says:

Thats it! By George I think you have it…..an epic epoch of bad karma!

So obvious, the good karma is at the old forum.

This karma must be just sitting there saying “where did everyone go” and the bad karma is saying “YOU ARE ALL MINE NOW!” and the epic epoch is like…..’whatever dude”.

The epoch and karma and luck and ghost, they can be your friend or totally piss you off.

wjc

• wjc says:

He shouldn’t be driving goalies any where with the price of gas being what it is. Luongo is probably chanting, “I’m out of the playoffs, I love the weather, no more torts, no more questions, just golf, beaches, boating, travel to look forward to….yaaaa to me and of course huge, huge, huge money rollin in.

wjc

• Strummer says:

Torts came to Vancouver and inherited a team that missed its window of opportunity and was aging very quickly.
        Add to that the injuries to Sedin and Burrows and it was a hopeless situation for him to have any success.

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• Habfan10912 says:

It was a little disappointing eh? I always enjoy a good Torts meltdown every once in a while.

• wjc says:

Torts is never predictable, he has 5 years in the bank, it is bugging him they lost in such a fashion, but you will never get the satisfaction of enjoying it.

He has great security, guaranteed money, no matter what happens.

wjc

17. BriPro says:

Geez Jim. I guess you’re the first one up around here.
    It’s like the fishing cabin. I’m up at the crack of dawn, and you can hear the ruffling of feet and slippers as the others slowly meander in.
    “Morning Mare-Ellen”
    “Morning John Boy”…

18. BJ says:

A lot of emotions in hockey this week and not for good reasons. I just finished viewing the Peverly incident on the Dallas bench. Its amazing how irrelevant competition, the game becomes and you go from entertainment to the reality of life in seconds. And in addition to young Tim Bozon’s situation it has not been a good week for our sport. Lets hope that we don’t have to witness any more such moments any time soon.

• BriPro says:

And the best of health to them both.
      A little prayer doesn’t hurt.

• habstrinifan says:

Well said!

• RetroMikey says:

Maple Laffs are just peaking at the right time, gotta give them credit to beating Anaheim 3-1.
      One point Montreal was 12 points up in December on them and now they are 1 point ahead of the fragile Habs.
      Carlyle kept his teamintact and did not go after anyone at trade deadline.
      The Toronto team has grit, size and skill with solid goaltending in Berner.
      They are going to overtake Montreal in my opinion in the standings.
      What went wrong with Montreal?
      They are inconsistent, lacking size and tired as Therrien always mentions.
      Sad to see a team like Toronto that nobody predicted would go far now overtaking Montreal.
      BIG IS BETTER!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• Cal says:

You must be salivating. Or is that rabies foam?

• Laramy87 says:

Leafs are a one line and goalie team. Shut down the 1st line and they are not much. Lupul and Kadri are no doing much this year. There D (like ours) is suspect. I dont think they will finish ahead of the habs this year

• habstrinifan says:

I dont mean to defend RetroMike but check again. 1 line team and a goalie… looks kinda familiar? Except ours is banged up indeterminably.

• Habs1962 says:

Leafs always find a way to be losers! so watch for that again.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

You know I have been reading the posts on here for 10 years or more. I just this past year posted 6-7 posts perhaps….my instincts tell me it is useless to swim against the current of foolish ideas and opinions on here (excepting a few responsible posters ) but I somehow do indeed post on occasion. Now I hate TO as much as anyone on here…but really why so much silly statements on them. They have a team similar to ours in that they are not great at all…middle of the pack maybe or slightly above…however the likely hood of the Habs beating TO in a series is slim to none. First and foremost they have 3-4 snipers and we have arguably one in Max…they have suspect defence as do we…they have a really good goaltender…yes as good as Price and maybe a bit better but that is not a sure thing. All the critics talk about is how badly the leafs are outshot but they do comeback in a lot of games…how many do we come back on…….just a dose of reality here. The Leafs are a better team in a series most likely…don’t make fun of a team that is ahead of us in the standings…it says something about your intelligence…just sayiny

• Cal says:

The laffs fall every spring. Asserting that the Habs’ chances against a team with no D are that poor is a little odd.

• RetroMikey says:

Cal can’t accept credit where its due whether its a team from Boston or Toronto, who in my opinion, are the 2 teams who will represent the East in the final.
            Sometimes Cal, you may have to face the facts and reality Grandpa, Toronto is for real this season.
            Excellent post Just a Habs Fan! Someone who knows hockey.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

19. Habfan10912 says:

One personal observation on Peverly. Most here believe the postponement of the game was the right move. A few but very few disagreed.

Seven years ago I had a heart attack. From my personal experience, my illness was much more difficult on my family and friends then it was on me. While I was receiving treatment and aware of the direction of my illness, they were all subject to waiting in some crappy hospital room not knowing what was going on.

I suspect the players and coaches of both teams had very little interest in playing at that point. I completely understand the teams decision.

• BJ says:

Glad you are still with us seven years later. Continued good health Jim.

• Habfan10912 says:

Thanks bud. It was actually 10 years ago, my wife just reminded me. That further proves my point, eh? I’ve already forgotten but it remains etched in their mind. CHeers.

• habstrinifan says:

The wife always always knows… to the minute.

Great to know your ‘current status’ is full steam ahead but with pauses to help/encourage all stradlers…. which is my impression of you through your HIO persona.

• BriPro says:

Good morning sir Jim.

I’m with Bruce.
      Your family and friends are very fortunate that you’re with us, my friend.
      I can honestly say that I doubt if I’d still post on here without good people such as yourself.

• Habfan10912 says:

Hey your up with us early this morning. I’m guessing you’re as anxious as I am to see Price and Prust at practice today, eh? CHeers bud.

• BriPro says:

You know I’m always up this early. But the little guy is speedy this morning with his breakfast, which gives me an extra 15-20 minutes before the drive to daycare.
          You know? I might just take a drive over to the practice centre in Brodsard to watch the boys.

• habstrinifan says:

Pass this note to MT. Vanek-Eller-Briere.
            For some reason he’s not taking my calls.

• BriPro says:

Mornin’ Trini.
            I’d like MT to put Vanek on with Max and DD.
            He’s useless on the Plek line.
            He’s not a defensive specialist.

• habstrinifan says:

Good Morning BriPro. Re your Vanek linemates, I am fearful breaking up the one ‘rea’ line this late. And I also believe you cant go into the playoffs with Briere as a 4th liner… you just cant. So make an on paper powerful offensive line of Vanek-Eller-Briere left to right.

Don’t know if you caught TSN690 this AM. On their HABS BREAKFAST segment there was a furious discussion re this topic. I agree with the new contributo “Martin” on this one. He suggested
            a: leave the #1 line as is.
            b) reset your 4th line White/Weise…
            c)Squeeze the others into lines 2 and 3.
            I like his #1 and #4. I therefore think #2 should be Vanek’s line and then your 3rd line be a hybrid shutdown/penalty kill/ etc line.. with Gionta and Pleks spearheading it.

Enjoy the practice.

• Mavid says:

**sigh** I wish I could do that…I am stuck in this god forsaken city that fun forgot..and all because I had the nerve to be english…

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• RetroMikey says:

You are alive and well Habfan10912 in Jesus Name!
      God is good!
      Problem is not many know that God is in control of our lives everyday.
      Hope and faith my friend!
      CH not only stands for Club de Hockey Canadien but Christ in Heaven!
      Watch the Son of God movie and you will believe!
      If God is in your life, who can be against you?

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

20. CJ says:

Good morning folks.

Things are certainly tightening up. By the time we play on Wednesday, it could be a matter of a few points that separate us from ninth place. We need to put a few more W’s in the win column to allow for some breathing room.

Looking forward to seeing which line combinations are used at practice this morning. The bigger story will be Price. Watching the Leafs highlights, the goaltender makes up for a number of shortcomings. We are far from perfect. Unfortunately, our blemishes are not being covered up right now.

Looking forward to checking in later. Have a great day everyone! Cheers, CJ

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning CJ. That west coast swing and Price’s injury could not have come at a worse time. We’ll right the ship. This team has done that all season. Just when you think the bubble is going to burst they put a little string together. I believe in them. CHeers bud and have a good day as well.

• CJ says:

Hi Jim. I agree. It’s one of the reasons why I thought the trade deadline day was about a week off for us.

Provided Price returns to full health and resumes his stellar play, then we have a chance. If there is a set back this week that extends his leave, I am not so sure that the playoffs are a lock as others have suggested.

I am very much looking forward to seeing the line combinations from practice today. Looking forward to chatting further, as more information comes available. Cheers, CJ

21. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning friends. I scanned the net in my far from expert way and found nothing to update us on the Bozon illness. Here’s hoping that no news is good news.

• CJ says:

Good morning Jim. Best I could find was a quick update from his father yesterday at approximately 10:00 am which said the status was unchanged. He mentioned that they continue to run tests, but there really wasn’t more to it then that.

This really is terrible. I’ll continue to send positive thoughts and pray for the best. Cheers, CJ

22. Stooof says:

Somehow everyone missed this omen, in their 66th game, the habs have 77 points, and 166 goals for and 166 goals against. Do the math… they will win the cup this year.

23. Frank2468 says:

Wow I really hope Peverly is ok?? Poor guy collapsed on the brench with a heart problem. My wishs go out to his family!!

24. GL says:

Right now Toronto is better up front than the Habs and a tad better between the pipes. Leafs will make the playoffs. Habs ??????????

• Cal says:

33 more goals allowed than the Habs and the Habs are a tad better between the pipes? Wow, the fans on this site never cease to amaze.

• CJ says:

I agree, right now the Leafs are playing better and are getting better goaltending. When Price returns our goaltending will once again be better. Additionally, overall I still believe we are the better team.

25. GL says:

Bernier was the difference tonight – All Toronto had to do was score one more Goal than Anaheim and they did that – I said when Toronto got Bernier he’ll be one of the best – Hasn’t let me down so far – shots 44 to 23 that alone tells ya what Bernier is capable of.

Could say something else – But I won’t.

• Frank2468 says:

Well the spuds better lose the next 2 or there’s trouble. I’m not even going to the TSN site cause the haters will be out in full force tonight. I hope Carey gets back fast or we could be watching the the water in a mesmerizing way go down the drain. Guess it could be worse we could be Canuck fans, wow blowing a 3 goal lead in the third period losing 7 to 4 to the Islanders

I am on pins and needles… it’s practice tomorrow. I can’t wait to see who Vanek will practice with and how long that combination will last the following day.

• Habilis says:

Imagine…

“We decided not to practice again today because we want to see Timo’s head explode.”

Seriously though, I’m on your side with this. They couldn’t even sit in a video room today to help Vanek get up to speed? I guess it’s possible that something like this happened without our knowledge, but I bet not. I bet they all stayed as far away from each other as possible. Some team.

27. Garbo says:

Given Gorges’ injury, the Weaver trade becomes obvious.

28. Garbo says:

Can’t say it better myself:

“They left for the West Coast death trap in 2nd place in their division, seven points up on the playoff bubble, and they return in 2nd place, now eight points up on the playoff bubble.” – Eric Engels

Man people need to chill out. The team is actually doing amazing.

• The_Truth says:

Amazing is a bit of an overstatement, but they are doing not bad for the talent they have. Unlike many, I think Therrien and the coaching staff are doing pretty good with what they have. The argument that they are not, is based on very little fact.The fact that they are, can be backed up with a lot more.

• Habilis says:

Respectfully, I disagree.

The fact that we’re where we are in the standings is a reflection of the weakness of the Eastern Conference this season, not how good we are. Heck, the team that just jumped us (Leafs) has a negative goal differential. How good can we be if that’s the case?

Once you get past the B’s and Pens, the East is basically just a bunch of mediocre hockey teams. It’s a battle of attrition more than anything. IMHO, anyhow.

• The_Truth says:

Montreal is a mediocre hockey team like many others in the east and are above most of them, but don’t have more talent. The fact that they are where they are is in large part a testament to coaching staff IMO.

• Habilis says:

That’s a fair POV. Tough to argue against it for sure.

I don’t share it, as I think that Therrien has a serious inability to adjust his plan during games. I also think he under-uses some of his prime assets and leans too much on his vets regardless of performance. But obviously that’s all subjective.

For what it’s worth, I would much rather be wrong in all of those assessments. Nothing would please me more than to be wrong and watch Therrien guide this team to a deep playoff run. Because we do have the talent for that, especially this year.

• The_Truth says:

I’m not sure if they have the talent to make a deep run, but if Price plays like he has and the team plays a sound defensive game like they are capable of, it is possible.

• piper says:

Lets face it, the Habs are where they are in the standings due to Carey Price and nothing else.

29. Un Canadien errant says:

A coworker had a party bus going down to Vancouver from Whistler, to catch the Canucks game against the Islanders, and emailed everyone to say one or two tickets had come available. I didn’t bite, I guess I’m less interested in catching their games lately.

So they started off pretty well, going up 3-0 going into the third period, but gave up a club-record 7 goals in the third period to lose 7-4. They actually tied that record for most goals allowed in a period, set two times by the Oilers in ’83 and ’85, when they had Wayne Gretzky, Mark Messier, Jari Kurri, Glenn Anderson and Paul Coffey. As Sportsnet’s Don Taylor said, the Islanders’ roster isn’t exactly comparable.

Now, three of those goals were on the powerplay, and one in the empty net at the end of the game, but Eddie Lack did not make anyone forget about Roberto Luongo and Corey Schneider tonight. The talking heads were plain-spoken in stating that a starting goalie should not give up a 3-0 lead in the third. And when the Canucks scored to tie up the game at 4-4, he gave up a goal ten seconds later when he made a puck handling error.

One thought which occurred to me while I watched the game is that Yannick Weber is one of the 6 defencemen on the team and Raphaël Diaz is the one who was sent packing, contrary to the decision that was made in Montréal. I didn’t find much on the blogs as to why young Mr. Diaz was sent to the Rangers, mostly generic statements about the fact that he was brought in to sub in while Kevin Bieksa and Chris Tanev, the club’s leading right-handed d-men, were injured. It seems they made a different evaluation in which Swiss player to keep.

The Canadiens kept Raphaël Diaz for his better sense of the game, his better all-around skill set, whereas the Canucks banked on the fact that Yannick Weber has a good shot from the point, and can help their powerplay. He was paired with leftie Jason Garrison on the second wave, and they set each other up for one-timers, and the penalty killers had their hands full trying to deal with those two, since they both have bombs. Vancouver decided to keep the player who does one thing very well. And tonight, Yannick Weber had that impact that we wanted him to have for our team, in that he got off some dangerous shots on net, and picked up an assist when Chris Higgins cashed in one of his rebounds.

John Tortorella was calm and reasonable in his post-game presser. Like he’s not feeling the heat, doesn’t feel that his job is being threatened by the horrid streak his team is on. He might know something about how the owners are feeling that we don’t.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• johnnylarue says:

To be in Tortorella’s shoes, 60 regular-season games into a 400-game contract, I think I’d be feeling pretty secure. Not necessarily happy, mind you, but secure.

I think the Luongo trade has rattled the team, plain and simple. It was a gesture of surrender, and the team to an extent has followed suit.

Certainly not an ideal circumstance in which to make your first steps as a starting goalie in the NHL. Gotta feel for the kid.

• Timo says:

Exactly. It’s not like they get fired and the paycheck stops. I’d take on Fonzy’s job right now, get fired and relax for the next 4 years somewhere where rum is plenty and women… are also plenty.

Watched the highlights from the Van game… If team could still trade Habs could have gotten both Sedins, Bieksa and Kessler for Budaj. Boy, does that team ever needs a goaltender.

31. Laramy87 says:

I was listening to the Fan in Toronto today and people actually called into Prime Time Sports irate that Stombo is the new host of HNIC because he a Habs fan. One caller actually said that no other personalities has allegiances to teams or state they do…

Tim and Sid made me laugh and asked have you watched the show. You have Cherry, Milbury and Stock.

Later on Cherry was the show and was asked about Strombos public statement he is a habs fan. He said it should be fine as long as he doenst continue to state it cause as the host he is not supposed to be biased, but what he meant was be a leaf fan.

Personally i dont think he will continually state his allegiances to the habs or wear habs colours so on and so on, but what is so wrong with being a fan still. Cherry is a fan and he blatantly states it. Ahh man i hate the Toronto media

32. Habilis says:

Loafs win in Anaheim despite being out-shot almost 2-1. Of course they did. They play SJ tomorrow and you just know they’ll do it again. Luckiest friggin team in the league. No D whatsoever, but they just keep winning. They’ll probably be three points ahead of us by the time the puck drops vs the B’s, and unless Price is back, do we even have a chance in that game? We could be 4 or 5 back of them by the end of the week.

Unacceptable.

• Laramy87 says:

Leafs wont win on back to back nights especially when the second game is against San Jose. Kings are lights out and they will lose thursday too

• Habilis says:

Hope you’re right. If they sweep their Cali trip, their fans and media (most of whom are just well-paid fans) will be calling them Cup favorites and Kessel will be the undisputed league MVP.

• The_Truth says:

Bernier has been awesone this season and is responsible for many of the Leafs points. Just a great trade by Nonis

33. Harditya says:

Canucks allow 6 goals in 1 period.. oh boy LOL

34. Habcouver says:

Three straight goals by Islanders. Tied with Nucks, 3-3.
    Woo hoo!

Now, the Ducks have to comeback against the Laffs, and my night is complete.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

35. PrimeTime says:

Ducks are playing with too much confidence. Need to get some desperation to come back tonight. I hate the Leafs as much as Timo the Habs!!!

36. Sportfan says:

Lol for all those old wrestling fans Hulk Hogan is hosting Wrestlemania lol

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

@Jim… ok… saw the story on Peverly. Looks like he is ok though, but still no fun for sure.

38. CJ says:

Well, they say your day is not complete unless you learn something new.

I didn’t know that, despite being at even strength, players are not awarded a plus or minus if they are on the ice for a goal in overtime. I thought I’d share in case anyone else was uncertain, or wondering.

Signing off with a last thought regarding some of the tragedies affecting the hockey community. As others have noted, take a second to enjoy and appreciate friends and family. Hoping to have good news to share regarding Tim Bozon in the very near future. Best wishes, CJ

39. NightRyder says:

Rene Bourque for Alex Burrows.

40. Storm Man says:

Of the Quebec City team

41. Storm Man says:

So the maybe new owner wants to split up Canada and thinks Quebec is better on it’s own? People like him make me puke I was born and raised in westmount and loved my life enjoying all Montreal had to offer. Now live in Calgary doing the oil thing and reading crap like this makes me mad. And to top it off the rednecks in Alberta say well if Quebec does it so can we and Alberta could run on it’s own.this is Canada don’t like leave!!!

• Clay says:

If Alberta leaves Canada, I leave Alberta.

__________________________
      ☞ “The deepest sin of the human mind is to believe things without evidence” ~ Aldous Huxley ☜

42. sprague cleghorn says:

2-0 Leafs, end of 1

… ‘ow could we forget that?

43. Habcouver says:

Alex Burrows, 34 games without a goal.
    I’m actually hoping he pops one in tonight.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

44. Sportfan says:

I can’t believe Crosby was -5 the other day

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

45. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Well that should be a soul crusher for the Sens – if they have souls….

46. FormalWare says:

Two-on-Oh?! Nashville wins. Nashville wins. Nashville Wins!

WWSD (What Would SubbieDoo?)

47. GGtheHab says:

well at least ott and TB only got the one each…cmon Ducks!!

48. CJ says:

Feel like barfing. Off Weber’s skate onto Spezza’s stick, are you kidding me?!? This is brutal!

49. Mavid says:

way to go Nashville..you had it..sigh

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

Sens tied… Habs will be fighting for a playoff spot until the very last game.

51. PrimeTime says:

Hilliard not starting? Great?!?! Grrr…

52. Psycho29 says:

NHL ‏@NHL ·7 mins
    DallasStars player Rich Peverley is doing well and is in stable condition. He has been transported to the hospital.

53. jols says:

Sens staging a comeback?

Hemsky with 6 points in the last 2 games.

54. CJ says:

Let’s go Nashville. Please don’t blow this. A loss tonight would cripple the Sens. Please hold on….fingers crossed!

55. habstrinifan says:

WOW! Sad and Scary times for hockey. Prayers for all the players affected and their friends and families.

56. Habfan10912 says:

On a day where we’ve seen classless post here celebrating Gorges misfortune, we have this happen to show the ridiculousness of such radical fandom.

This is a game played by fathers, sons and brothers. It shouldn’t take a catastrophic event like this to remind us to behave like human beings.

Prayers and positive thoughts to that young man and his family.

57. frontenac1 says:

20 year old Saginaw Spirit Terry Trafford missing for 7 days, Bozon in Coma and now Peverley heart attack?
    What the hell is going on amigos?

• smiler2729 says:

Don’t forget Stoll’s seizure, Letang’s stroke….

_______________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.
      The “CH” in CHOKE stands for Toronto Maple Leafs.

• Habfan10912 says:

Reminder for us all that its just a game, eh Front?

• JUST ME says:

Schumacher ski accident also..Very bad string of life threathening events that puts everything into their proper perspective and helps us see our passions , for people, for sports in a different way.

• habs11s says:

Matt Stajan’s newborn son recently passed too…. a very sad few days in the hockey world

_____________________________________________________________

58. Habilis says:

Get this:

“Dallas Stars ‏@DallasStars
    Per Dr. Salazar, Peverley was aware of where he was when became conscious and wanted to get back in to the game.”

Guy has some sort of cardiac episode, maybe even a full blown heart attack, and he wants back in the game.

Yeah, he’s a hockey player.

59. UKRAINIANhab says:

Wow. Terrible situation. Now, I am in the field of medicine and I have to wonder what the Dallas Stars are thinking. This is a guy who has been diagnosed with a Heart Condition and yet he is in the roster a week after he was not able to play due to his heart. We are talking about a heart here. Awful, Awful situation that could have been avoided. Hope he is alright.

60. frontenac1 says:

The NHL. Has cancelled the Jackets /Stars game after Peverly,s heart attack. Reports.

• dr. schmutzdeker says:

Good call by the league. The right thing to do.

• habs-fan-84 says:

Disagree.

• smiler2729 says:

I sure wouldn’t be in any mood to play if I were playing on either team… They asked the players and they want to suspend the game.

_______________________________________
          Jack Edwards is a clam.
          Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.
          The “CH” in CHOKE stands for Toronto Maple Leafs.

• habs-fan-84 says:

Please note, I’m not trying to be insensitive for the sake of it. It is/was a serious situation. However, I’m sure the last thing Peverley would want is for the game to be cancelled over this.

Unfortunately things like this happen more frequently than we’d like at sporting events, but the show must go on.

Again, please don’t think I’m going out of my way to be insensitive just for the sake of it.

• dr. schmutzdeker says:

Agree smiley guy…that’s my point exactly. Doubt very much, considering the potential seriousness of the situation that anyone would be concentrating on playing anywhere close to their potential…especially Peverly’s teamates. This, regardless of what Peverly may or may not have wanted.

Again…it was the right decision.

61. CJ says:

Karlsson minus 3. Wow, just terrible on the last goal. Almost looks he doesn’t care.

62. HabsPooch says:

Lindy Ruff reporting he’ll be OK. Thank goodness. Hug your loves ones a little bit tighter tonight. Life can be so fragile.

63. howiemorenz7 says:

I hope that poor defenseman doesn’t die from his injury, I hear some people have done so from broken bones.

I once blocked a shot, it was a 27 MPH wrister that nearly broke my skate blade.

15 points for 92? Piece of gâteau. Question is: will Price be healthy enough for the playoffs, like *truly* healthy? As far as I’m concerned, sit him out another week or two if that’s what it takes, if Boooodeye and Toke can go .500 in that group of games, they can continue for 3-4 more.

Maroons Suck.

64. Prop says:

3-0 Nashville

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

65. frontenac1 says:

Reports. Blue Jackets /Stars game under delay after Peverley Collapses at bench.

66. Habitant in Surrey says:

…never in living memory have I liked anything about Toronto …or, with a few exceptions, the game of basketball

…but, these Turd …err, I mean, TORonto Raptors are an exception

• habstrinifan says:

I did some reading on them last night after coming across a trade article. The new GM seems on the ball. Hope they rise. Toronto needs a good NBA team… they have the fans for it.

67. HabsPooch says:

Apparently he’s had cardiac issues and was inserted into the lineup three days ago…

68. Prop says:

Yikes…Rich Peverly collapsed on the bench and had to be tended to by paramedics. Apparently he has a heart condition.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

69. HabsPooch says:

Rich Peverley has collapsed on the bench in Dallas. Scary…

• Sportfan says:

Oh wow I hope he is ok, there are a lot weird things going on in Hockey right now.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• smiler2729 says:

Yeah I’m watching the game (my wife’s a huge CBJ fan).

The game will not resume, both teams have gone to their rooms pending news of Rich.

Peverley’s a buddy of my insurance agent, read he had an irregular heartbeat last weekend…

Hopefully it works out.

_______________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.
      The “CH” in CHOKE stands for Toronto Maple Leafs.

• Johnny9 says:

How does anyone become a HUGE CBJ fan????

• smiler2729 says:

She’s from there, instantly took to hockey when they arrived in town in 2000, she’s been up here in Canada since ’02 and we’ve been glued to the Center Ice Package for her games as well as Habs games…

I like ‘em too, good scrappy little team that gets crapped on a lot.

_______________________________________
          Jack Edwards is a clam.
          Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.
          The “CH” in CHOKE stands for Toronto Maple Leafs.

Davidson was a good hire, will be interesting to see what moves their new GM makes. Was always considered one of the best scouts in hockey.

• CJ says:

Speaking of the jackets, boy I’d love to have the Wiz. Contract seemed big at the time, but wouldn’t he look great in Montreal right now. Right handed shot, plays a physical game and puts up points while being sound defensively.

• dr. schmutzdeker says:

+1.0…yes, another victim of the goat/gainey era (perfecting the art of letting talented, tough players walk(for nothing i.e. Sheldon/Wiz) because they may cost a little more than some would like, and bringing in soft, older, overpaid cast-offs from other teams…no doubt that the Wiz had too much talent/toughness/character (and dare I say nastiness) etc. (and yes, a right handed shot too)

• CJ says:

I see it the exact same way. Cheers, CJ

• smiler2729 says:

The negotiating rights to the Wiz were traded to Columbus for a pick for a 5th rounder in that summer of ’11… Habs chose Charles Hudon, feel better?

_______________________________________
          Jack Edwards is a clam.
          Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.
          The “CH” in CHOKE stands for Toronto Maple Leafs.