Habs’ Gorges has surgery on fractured hand, out four weeks

The Canadiens announced that defenceman Josh Gorges had surgery on his fractured left hand Monday and will be out for an estimated four weeks. There are five weeks remaining in the regular season.

The surgery was performed by Dr. Paul Martineau. Gorges is believed to have suffered the injury when he blocked a shot with his hand during a game against the Toronto Maple Leafs on March 1.

In 63 games this season, Gorges has 1-12-13 totals with 12 penalty minutes and is plus-7. Gorges ranks second in the NHL in blocked shots with 173, trailing only Philadelphia’s Andrew MacDonald, who has 203.

The last time the NHL played a full 82-game season in 2011-12, it took 92 points to make the playoffs in the Eastern Conference. That’s the same season the Canadiens finished last in the conference with 78 points. The season before, 2010-11, it took 93 points to make the playoffs

To reach 92 points this season, the Canadiens (35-24-7) would need 15 points in their final 16 games.

The Canadiens returned home Sunday after going 1-3 on their Western U.S. road trip and were given the day off Monday. They will practise Tuesday at the Bell Centre, when they will also have their official team photo taken, and then face the Boston Bruins Wednesday night at the Bell Centre (7:30 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690). The Ottawa Senators will visit the Bell Centre Saturday and then the Canadiens will be in Buffalo the next night to face the Sabres.

Brandon Prust, who has been sidelined with an upper-body injury, is expected to return to the lineup Wednesday. The Canadiens are also hoping to have Carey Price, who is day-to-day with a lower-body injury, back in goal against the Bruins. His condition will be updated at Tuesday’s practice. The Canadiens are 3-3-1 without Price since he was injured at the Olympics.

TVA’s Renaud Lavoie reported on Twitter that Price skated Monday morning.

Meanwhile, George Stroumboulopoulos was named as the new host of Hockey Night in Canada on Monday. The CBC personality will anchor NHL coverage beginning next season.

Don Cherry, Ron MacLean, Daren Millard and Jeff Marek were also announced as “cornerstones” of Rogers’s coverage when it takes over the national NHL rights. Cherry and MacLean will continue to host Coach’s Corner every Saturday.

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

GM Bergevin has given Habs a chance to win, by Jack Todd

Habs limp home after brutal stretch, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Stroumboulopoulos new host of HNIC, sportsnet.ca

Longer overtime to be discussed at GM meetings, NHL.com

1. Prop says:

Ottawa down 2-0

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

2. CJ says:

Good evening friends. Nothing to report regarding Tim Bozon. He remains in a medically induced coma. Once again, please consider taking a moment to hold him in your thoughts and/or heart, if only for a minute.

I pray the young man pulls through. Best wishes, CJ

Watching Senators and Preds and realizing (not that it’s a surprise) that Habs won’t be able to take any one of these team in the playoffs…

• Hobie Hansen says:

I’d wait to pass judgement on the Habs/Sens until after this Saturday when they play. I expect the Habs will play a good game against Boston and be in top gear against the Sens Saturday. That’s just me :-).

• CJ says:

If we play to the best of our ability, we should be able to tap that nail a little further into the Sens coffin. I hope to see Price this week, healthy and on his game. Otherwise, things could get very tight.

• SlovakHab says:

That’s probably because none of those 2 is making the playoffs.

• Habilis says:

Not a problem bud. Neither of those teams will get near the playoffs this season. So if we really are worse than them, we’re in deep doodoo.

• habs-fan-84 says:

This comment is hilarious for a couple reasons, neither of which require further explanation.

4. GL says:

This is why I want to see Vanek with DD and Gallagher

GP G A
    Pacioretty: 57 30 13

Vanek: 62 21 32

Pacioretty: He was set up for his goals, hardly had to work and only assisted on 13

Vanek: He scored 21 goals and assisted on 32 point a game play maker so who’s the harder working left winger. Imagine what he would do for DD and Gallagher and what DD and Gallagher would do for him. They would make the 1st line almost twice as good ….

• Hobie Hansen says:

I wanted that the moment I heard of the trade as well. However, in one of Vanek’s 1st interviews before the Phoenix game he stated he much prefers the left side.

Pacioretty has done all (I believe) his scoring from the left side over the past few years.

So one of them has to be taken out of their comfort zone.

**edit, I’m a moron :-). You said Vanek-Desharnis-Gallagher. That could work but Pacioretty LOVES playing with Desharnais as he’s constantly setting him up to score. I’m sure Therrien would be very hesitant to break those two up as well. I still think Vanek or Pacioretty will have to move to the right side and the three of them play together. The EGG line can then be put back together.

5. Azriel says:

To Gorges: Walk it off Sissy.

Weber just nailed Anderson in a shoulder with a point shot. Anderson flopped like fish out of water… but wait wait… he is ok. He is alive. Give him 2 for delay of game. What a faker.

• BriPro says:

Soccer was his first love.

• CJ says:

Weber is going to take out the entire Sens team tonight.

• CJ says:

Did anyone else just hear that? Ottawa has been outshot 36-9 over their last two periods. Nashville has done everything but put the puck in the net.

• frontenac1 says:

Hey CJ. My buddy”s wife and daughter in law drove up to see the game. They hit hit a coyote on the highway! My buddy is getting a poster of Wiley Coyote with a red line through it! Priceless eh?

• frontenac1 says:

Meep Meep!

• CJ says:

Hope they are ok. Those buggers can do some damage. I took my beautiful wife, our boys and brother and sister in law out to Lone Star
            for dinner. I overheard a sever ask his colleague if the Sens played this week. Response, no idea. Gotta love Ottawa!

Glad to have back on here Front! Cheers, CJ

• frontenac1 says:

They are fine but some damage to her car. As my buddy said, “nothing will stop the Gals from seeing Mike Fischer! Saludos amigo!

• HabsPooch says:

I’m more baffled with Spezza’s minus 22 compared to Turris’ +17…and they’re about even in points!

• CJ says:

As I’ve said here a number of times, Turris, along with Okposo and Pacioretty are signed to the best contracts in the league.

Ottawa got Turris for Runblad and a second. Then they signed him for next to nothing. Tremendous deal for Ottawa.

• HabsPooch says:

It looks like the Kunitz, Crosby, Stemniak line has clicked in D.C. tonight…

• HabsPooch says:

I would also include Shattenkirk in that mix for best bargain contracts. He could easily be a top two defenseman on any other team. I love his overall game.

• CJ says:

I see Halak has done nothing to improve Washington’s goaltending.

Yes, I agree Shatty is a great player. St. Louis really is loaded. That said, the western conference is so good. Almost seems unfair that Chicago and St. Louis are likely to meet in the second round. Same with either LA, San Jose and Anaheim.

• habs_54321 says:

if only heaven and earth could be moved to get Shea Weber in a habs jersey.

7. fastfreddy says:

This is a good time to bring up both Bealieu and Patteryn to see if the can handle big time hockey.

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

8. GL says:

I would try Galchenyuk at center on the 3rd line but this late in the season you can’t experiment moving him up to 1st or 2nd line center the experimenting should have been done back in December. If MT don’t have set lines by now. we are Dooooomed. All I’m saying Vanek is a 1st line left winger and he deserves the best creative center and the best Right winger and we all know who they are and if it don’t happen why did we make the trade” I’m gonna leave it at that!!

• Bun E. Laroque says:

I agree with you but that means its either Desharnais or Plekanec and I don’t see either one being a great fit. D. D. is creative but come playoff time he is too small to be effective. Plekanec has other responsibilities which keep him from being an offensive powerhouse. Eller? No way. Give Galchenyuk and Vanek a few games to get comfortable and away we go. Of course with this coach it ain’t gonna happen.

Nine games during the next two nights feature teams that have games in hand on the Habs. It will be interesting to see the revamped standings come Wednesday morning.

10. Bun E. Laroque says:

I would really like to see Galchenyuk centering Vanek. Is that too much to ask?

11. Sportfan says:

I don’t care if SN has the NHL rights for 12 year they’ll look Bush league for a long time especially with guys like Kypreos and if they take on Healy!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

12. Sportfan says:

So if we make the playoffs and Carey is healrhy we’ll get a great defensive dman back for a push, there is a semi upside, at the same time too bad it wasn’t a forward we have a lot of those!~

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

13. Sportfan says:

Lol Jeff Marek is back that’s interesting, always thought of him as a tool, but started to listen to his podcast and like him a lot more.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

14. boing007 says:

Knuckles wants to challenge Bourque with his patented Personal Improvement Program. Watch out René!

Richard R

• johnnylarue says:

I don’t get why GMs are so cold on the 3-on-3. It’s a lot of fun to watch and a heck of a lot more “honest” than the shootout as a way of deciding the winner of a hockey game.

15. deggy24 says:

I saw a good post below on defensive combos. I have to say first that I think Emelin is a keeper and some of the slag is him being the guy back when the other guy makes the mistake, or the guy who if he had a better partner in the corners, wouldn’t have to be as quick to the other guy. Certainly has faults, but definitely skilled and can hit. He laid a couple of Sharks out last game nice .. nothing from the commentariat. So I don’t dispute the combos too much, he’ll be with Markov which means he’ll deal with 2 on 1s. How about we make Murray number 7, twin Pateryn with Beaulieu and get the puck out of end instead of blocking shots.
    Play speed on the break out, through the middle, on the forecheck, the backcheck … and make that our team. We don’t have Patrick Kane or Toews but we’ve got skaters and some skilled players who skate.

Texus

March 10, 2014 at 3:54 pm

Damn that sucks. Personally I would bring up Beaulieu at this point, I would have:

Markov-Emelin
    Tinordi-Subban
    Murray-Beaulieu
    Habs Win!

16. Habilis says:

Carey Price worry level… rising.

17. deggy24 says:

Habs Win!

18. smiler2729 says:

So a fellow Habs fan at work tells me he heard Price turned his ankle while partying in the post Gold celebration that night with the boys in Sochi…

Anybody else heard this?
    _______________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.
    The “CH” in CHOKE stands for Toronto Maple Leafs.

• johnnylarue says:

He’s allegedly been nursing a sore groin since the start of the season. It got worse in Sochi but he was able to play through it. Now, not so much.

19. I have seen the light___Goal! says:

Will we ever see Pateryn ?

Nolan only gets one game – it should have been five or six.

21. Dunboyne Mike says:

Captain Pike!!!

(hours later, delayed reaction, WELL worth the wait!):

“Stroumboulopoulos. You know, Big Bird’s invisible elephant friend.”

• I have seen the light___Goal! says:

Doctor walks into the room with your exam results.
      Doctor says, “I’m sorry to tell you this but you have Stroumboulopoulos.”
      Patient stands up and says to the doctor, “Where’s the bathroom I fell like I am going to Liveblog.”

• Captain Pike says:

haha, cheers mate!

22. scrotchland says:

hopefully the habitents defense will become more cohesive now that mr pom pom is out for 4 weeks.
    I have a source at the hospital who said that georges stayed awake for the surgery so he could encourage the doctor. “that’s it boys, fasten that plate to the bone with those screws. thats it. stitch me up now, lets go”

23. doug19 says:

Cherry and Mclean cornerstones? Whaaat? They are just bricks from some short load now!

24. BriPro says:

Eliotte Friedman was interviewed on TSN690 one morning a few weeks ago, and was asked if he would become a correspondant for Sportsnet, now that they’ve acquired the NHL contract.
    He said that he was on contract for (I believe he said) 3 years with the CBC.

Pierre Lebrun was asked the same, and he’s also on contract with TSN.
    So two of the best probably won’t be part of the team.

25. Dr.Rex says:

Josh Gorges is a humble and true professional. HE will be missed as we have discovered the last two games.

26. jlgib1019 says:

It’s time for bealieau to be slotted in as #6. Despite the rhetoric,Weaver is behind Boullion as our #8 and shouldn’t be in the lineup. He was #6 on a poor Fla. team,despite toi stats.Gubrandson,Kulikov,Campbell,Gilbert and Jovo are all better. Teams were desperate for defense at trade deadline and we got him for a 5th. Keep telling yourselves he’s solid and you may believe it.
    jr

27. Paz says:

Subban has 2 goals, 4 assists in the last 5 games.

For a player who doesn’t play penalty kill, and is seen by many as an offensive player, those are very good numbers.

• jlgib1019 says:

PK has his game back. He’s looked much better the last couple of games. The olympics screwed us. Price is hurt and PK’s game suffered for about 2 months. Hopefully Price heals and PK really is back to his old self.

jr

• Hobie Hansen says:

I think with some rest, a full practice and another morning skate behind them, the Habs are going to be flying on Wednesday against Boston.

People are ready to jump of the Jacques Cartier bridge after the road trip. No Price in goal, no practice for Vanek to get to know his teammates or game plan. Really not a surprising outcome.

We’re going to see a totally different team Wednesday and Saturday.

Oh, and that relates to your original comment… I can’t wait to see Subban and Vanek in sync on the PP passing it back and forth for the one-timer.

28. GL says:

Vanek has to be with two forwards one that’s creative and one that comes to play every game we only have two … Desharnais and Gallagher … Vanek will only produce sparingly otherwise.

29. Maritime Ronn says:

Somewhat off topic, yet for those interested in the topic of advanced stats and their usage, a very nice primer is posted below by some excellent posters in krob1000 and Commandant starting at 2:04 pm.

For those that are really into analytics — which have been less embraced by the NHL compared to the BIG 3 down south, the recent Sloan Conference was nothing short of mind boggling.

The NHL was by far the least represented of the 4 Major North American sports leagues…yet there was so much more than just player stats….

30. Texus says:

Markov-Emelin
    Tinordi-Subban
    Murray-Beaulieu

And then probably sub out Emelin as needed since he’s been playing so poorly lately.

Also good call on Strombo hosting HNiC, always been a fan of his show and I think he’ll do a great job.

• johnnylarue says:

Earlier in the year I’d have said we’d be hooped if we were counting on both of Beaulieu and Tinordi to see us through the end of the regular season, but I’ve come around. Those are some very serviceable D pairings.

As for Yemmy, we can only hope the Habs doctors have him eating a bucket of fish every day. Grow that brain, sonny!

• Totally agree on Beaulieu. I wonder about Emelin and Markov playing together though — they haven’t been a great pairing this year, and Markov seems less and less able to make up for Emelin’s mistakes. I wonder if Subban-Emelin and Markov-Tinordi might yield better results?

Devils coach Jacques Lemaire on the Daneyko-Kaminski feud – “Daneyko got mad when Kaminski said he was going to knock his teeth out. Dano has only two teeth left, so you can’t say that to Dano.”

• jlgib1019 says:

Those should be the pairings. The only problem is Emelin is half the player on the right side,and real top 4 on the left

jr

• crane says:

Tinordi P.K.
      Emelin Pateryn
      Markov Beaulieu

• jlgib1019 says:

Unfortunately Pateryn seems to be a dud/AHLer or he would have been up already. Murray is a physical,steady,defensive stalwart,which everyone outside of Montreal seems to agree on. I know he is and every game I’ve seen the opposing announcers heap nothing but praise. And he’s more valuable to our smallish team than any other.

jr

31. FanSince1969 says:

Bring up Beaulieu. Wasn’t impressed with dream Weaver. He looks like Wisnewski without the offense and defense.

32. jols says:

Surprised by the exclusion of Elliotte Friedman and Kevin Weekes on the new Rogers/CBC HNIC lineup. Two of the best things the current HNIC has going for it.

33. Donkey Hoat says:

Does Josh Gorges really need both hands?
    Wrap the bad hand in a bandage and send him out on the PK!

Russia now has 24 medals, with closest second place with 7. You can tell Russians take their paralympics seriously.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Of course that’s wonderful/awesome.
      No one could argue with that.

By the way, where did Russia finish in Olympic Men’s Hockey?
      Help me out – I’m having one of those close to 60, deemed senior moments…

35. Maritime Ronn says:

@ habstrinifan

Good day Mr Trinifan.
    Here’s wishing you a wonderful day.

As for your response to my post:
    I am not quite sure who said…and I quote you about Murray ” When a ‘marginal’ player like Murray comes into our system and becomes a ‘star’, an ‘irreplaceable’ a ‘stalwart’….”

Following that, you very rightly express concerns about ‘player development’, yet the present GM Bergevin was left with an empty house…not only concerning prospects, yet the all important aspect of having good people in all aspects of the company.

I believe your background may be Arts based, while mine is solely Business based – perhaps why we may see situations in a different light…which does not mean there could not be consensus.
    :-)

What has transpired since the hiring of GM Bergevin has been something never seen before in the Habs org…..where the previous Habs org was WAY behind the NHL pro hockey professional curve concerning other astute organizations in terms of a proper organagram with the best suited people occupying key positions.

It appears GMMB has taken the first steps to correct the problems.
    That mentioned, and because the Habs were SO far behind, the solution may be a bit farther than people believe.

That said, I believe the Habs now have one of the best hockey organizations with great respect throughout the NHL….because they respect others, and are also very well liked, with no Ego ruling.
    The Vanek deal doesn’t get done without those qualities…

• Paz says:

It’s interesting because none of these problems were ever discussed in any detail before Bergeron came on board.

With all due respect, I think you have over estimated what Bergevin has accomplished.

In my opinion, two of the most important hirings, the head coaches in Montreal and Hamilton, were poor choices.

Those are two huge mistakes.

I will allow some more time before I start jumping to conclusions that Bergevin hired such ” great” people, who have no ego?

Therrien has one of the biggest egos in the industry in my opinion.

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi Paz

The non-Ego reference was concerning the Habs management and how GMMB filled humungous holes in the org.

As for Coach Therrien, I defer to Super Bowl winning Coach Bill Parcells who aptly said about Pro Sports:
        ” You are what your record says you are.”

Look – I am no big fan of Therrien – yet he deserves a pass after the last playoffs because of an injury decimated team.

If we all rewind the tape, last year the Habs were projected by the media ‘experts’ to be a Lottery team…and those same said the Habs would struggle all year to be a bubble playoff team at best this year.

As for judging a GM, most folks think 5 years is enough….yet Ken Holland of Detroit believes it takes 10 years before all of a GM’s moves can be evaluated…..

• Forum Dog says:

MB has done a good job filling some holes, but I am not too sure how humongous they have been. Really, he has drafted a no-brainer, hired a coach, put in place some development and scouting staff (to bolster his own lack of experience), made a few minor trades, and one semi-significant one (though Vanek is probably a pure rental).

I’ll agree and give Therrien the benefit of the doubt right now due to their record, but the Habs are by no means a lock for the playoffs at this point despite how good their chances look. They are six points up the 8th place team, but if they falter they could become that bubble team they were projected to be.

You also refer to how very far behind the Habs were in comparison to other organizations, and yet the Habs made the playoffs 6 of the 7 years before MB joined and drafted decent prospects (some of whom are helping the team now). The cupboard was not as bare as you seem to suggest.

MB has done a decent job so far given that they are looking likely to make the post-season two years running (and in fairly comfortable fashion), but he is not the second coming.

Finally, the Vanek deal got done because no-one else was willing to give up a decent prospect, a pick AND had the necessary cap room. I don’t think it was related to some new found respect for the MTL organization.

All in all I am good with what MB has done, but don’t think he should get credit for everything that this team has right now.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Hi fg

Perhaps we can agree to see things in a different way.
            I’m going to allow a few more years to pass before judgement in this results oriented business called Pro Sports.

36. UKRAINIANhab says:

Ok seriously, whens Price back?

37. GL says:

If MT doesn’t put Vanek with Desharnais and Gallagher we’ll have the same result against Boston Wednesday night as we had against the Sharks – A loss!!!
    Vanek is a waste on a shut down line. The 2nd line shouldn’t be a shut down line anyway. The 3rd and 4th lines is used for that. The 2nd line should be you’re 2nd scoring line and I think if MT would put
    Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Eller, for a 2nd line we would have two scoring lines.
    Briere, Plekanec Gionta for our 1st shut down line than the 4th line ….

• fastfreddy says:

I totally agree with you GL.

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Thing is Plekanecs line will have more icetime if they are used as the shutdown line. This being the case, either EGG line or DD’s line will not get as much ice time. Pleks line will not be the shutdown line getting 3rd line minutes.

• shiram says:

It seems to me Pleks line most often features a player that is not up to his speed as regards to playing a sound defensive game, whether is was AK46, Bourque or whoever else.

And Vaneks needs plenty of TOI.
        He either takes Max’s place, which does not make sense, don’t break something that works.
        Or he plays with Pleky, as that is our second best offensive line, they get plenty of TOI.

Anyways, that’s how I see it.
        I don’t think Therrien is gonna change his spot and make Chucky a top 6 center this season.

• Maksimir says:

I’d say put Vanek with Briere and Galch.. sit Eller again… and give them 1st line PP time. Gally-DD-MP aren’t getting it done on the PP.

• Luke says:

The shutdown line matches the opponents Top line which typically plays the most minutes. Additionally the shutdown line will be used at the end of close games more than any other line increaseing the minutes the shutdown line plays.

That’s why Plex typically plays the most. Until the Habs have an offensive line capable of being defensively sound while forcing the opponents to match their icetime, the team will always allow the opponent to dictate how much the Plekanec line plays.

Vanek w/Plex ensures he sees, at worst, the 2nd most TOI by line on the Habs.

• jlgib1019 says:

When did Eller become a top 6 offensive player? He needs to be with Gio on a shutdown line.His #’s are beyond anemic

jr

38. rhino514 says:

I question wether weaver is better than Bouillon. Bouillon is used to playing with the other Dmen on the team, Weaver will need time to learn how to play with the other Dmen. Something must have happened with Cube because he is a forgotten man. I know most on here don´t like him, but as a seventh Dman who can step in in case of injury i thought he was fine.
    Georges: I would really like to know how valuable of a player he is.
    The things he is “good” in are very difficult to quantify; blocked shots, leadership, etc…
    But he is the second highest plus Dman on the team
    I suspect the habs actually believe he is worth his contract, which is the contract of a pretty good defenceman.

39. mrhabby says:

I would have preferred Kassie Campbell as the new host..lol

40. scamorza says:

I have new found respect for Jay Harrison ex Laff and now with canes- when reading a dated Hockey News of late he lists Joy Division, The Smiths and Arcade Fire on his playlist -not your usual top 40 crap pretty cool and eclectic taste for a hockey player
    come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• johnnylarue says:

Some friends of mine who were a bit of a buzz band but still in the ‘sleeping on strangers’ couches’ phase of their career were once put up by Boyd Devereaux on a tour stop in Arizona. He was apparently a huge music guy. Few and far between among pro athletes, unfortunately!

41. formerly known as the hc says:

Since the big Rogers/Bell/CBC NHL announcement, there have been a number of fans (here and elsewhere) who’ve rejoiced that we would see an end to the ‘pro-leaffs’ dribble on HNIC. Now, I can’t blame them. Some of these clowns are impossible to watch. Agrivating at best. However, watching any of the three networks and their sports coverage, it’s Tranna all the way. Don’t be fooled: Things won’t change and might even get worse. And to top it all off, we will probably need to shell out more cash to watch the games that we actually want to see.

-The beatings will conmtinue until morale improves-

42. Storm Man says:

If your happy and you know it clap your hands

43. Habs_101 says:

With DD playing pretty well lately maybe he could actually spark Vanek… something we dont see proposed a lot;

Vanek – DD – Gallagher
    Galchenyuk – Plekanec – Gionta
    Patches – Eller – Briere
    Prust – White – Moen/Weise

Just throwing ideas out there…

GO HABS GO!

• johnnylarue says:

I’ve noticed, over the course of the last 30 games or so, that DD and Patches indeed seem to have a preternatural ability to find each other on the ice.

I’m not saying it’s a foregone conclusion that Max’s production would drop off drastically playing with Eller, but now might not be the best time to find out either way…

• shiram says:

Agreed.
        DD’s line has been doing what it needs to be done, tinkering should happen elsewhere in the lineup.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Hi Johnny

Gallagher attracts a lot of attention because of his play – the way he goes to the net, and other teams know he can also score goals.

Those qualities open up a lot of space for 51 and Max.
        Take Gallagher out of that, and everything changes.

• johnnylarue says:

Absolutely, Ronn. Suffice to say, that line works well as a unit as-is.

Having Vanek theoretically gives us the ability to draw attention away from our big line, provided we can find a good match for him with another centre…

• boing007 says:

The Big Little Line. Starring Little Big Man, aka DD.

Richard R

• johnnylarue says:

…along with his pals, Largey Smalls and the Honey Badger!

It’s a shame they don’t make Saturday morning cartoons anymore…

44. Hobie Hansen says:

Again, I’m just dying to know how this whole
    RDS/SPORTSNET/CITYTV/CBC setup works out for Habs fans?

I don’t mind RDS as my French is OK. I guess I’d prefer it in English a bit more but not a big deal. My girlfriend is a hockey fan but is from Calgary and doesn’t speak a world of French. So for our household hockey works better in English.

At the moment we get the odd English Habs game on TSN during the week in Ottawa and that’s about it. It’s on CBC in English on Saturday night but Rogers subscribers in Ottawa only get CBC Ottawa in English in HD and if the Sens aren’t playing it’s usually the Leafs. The 7 or 8 other CBC stations are SD.

SO what I’m hoping for is at the minimum all Habs games on Saturday night are in English in HD in Ottawa to Rogers subscribers. What would also be awesome is if there’s a bunch more English Habs games during the week in HD. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see?

I know I’ll get all 82 games as RDS gets the regional broadcasts and Ottawa is regional. Just wondering of the 82, how many will also be available on an English HD station?

• gumper says:

My biggest concern is that in order to get the full coverage provided by RDS you’ll have to subscribe to two or three different “packages”.

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
      Mark Twain

• Hobie Hansen says:

I think if you’re outside the Regional RDS Broadcast Region, so anything west of Kingston Ontario, not sure about east, you will have to get the NHL Center Ice package if you want to see all 82 Habs games?

I think?

• gumper says:

I think you’re right, and for me it’s hard to justify that expense.

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
          Mark Twain

Amen! Tramps like us, gumper, we were born to STREAM! :D

• Hobie Hansen says:

Yup. I’m already about to snap with the cost of two cellphones, internet and cable…it’s a joke.

The only problem with the free streams is that they aren’t in HD and look like crap.

• johnnylarue says:

There was a great one I was using earlier in the season which has unfortunately been shut down. Very solid image quality–not quite HD, but on par with the CBC live streams.

All told though, I would revert to listening to games on the radio before subscribing to cable. Just can’t do it.

• Cal says:

You’ll need RDS + TVA Sports to get all the games.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Yup, if you’re in the correct region. If you’re outside of the region (Quebec/Ontario East/Maritimes) RDS and TVA will be blacked out.

So either just passed Kingston or Belleville RDS and TVA will be blacked out. Forcing people to get NHL Center Ice if they’d like all 82 Habs games.

• GGtheHab says:

I am in trenton/belleville..we were getting the sportspack from cogeco last few years then suddenly it is no longer available, I now get RDS..I am english but quite fluent in “hockey” french.. not sure what the future will bring here..

• Strummer says:

I’m with you in my hope for more Hab games in English.
      It looks promising though, with Wednesdays, Thurdays and Sundays on City and Sportsnet as well as CBC on Saturdays.

Also Scott Moore the head of Sportsnet is also a native Montrealer and Hab fan

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• Luke says:

I thought the Rogers deal covered Monday/Wed/Sat/Sun.

With the Habs games usually being Tues/Thurs… oh what a shocker.

• Strummer says:

Wednesdays on Sportsnet and Thursdays on Sportsnet360.
          We’ll have to see the Habs sched for next season before we can figure it out completely

______________________________________________________
          “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• Cal says:

All you have to know is that it will cost more to watch and you will have to pony up. All that money for the Canadian Broadcast deal is coming from us.
      I hear we are supposed to have access to more games, but that’s only on “national broadcast” days. In other words, market-speak for “You want to watch? You pay more, despite all the commercials.”

45. Maritime Ronn says:

“The Canadiens announced that defenceman Josh Gorges had surgery on his fractured left hand Monday and will be out for an estimated four weeks”
    ———————-
    Reading a lot of posts on HIO over the past several years, there is no player that is more underestimated/disliked than Gorges – or either not recognized for what he brings to the Habs.

Forget about the total BS rah rah junk shown by the fan friendly CH24 series, this guy a true warrior.

There is NO NHL team that would not want this guy.
    While several here at HIO complain about his contract, (4 more years @ $3.9M) several teams would take that in a heart beat.

Of course ‘fans’ love flashy Dmen that bring Offense to a team, yet Cup winners have always had an ingredient of superb Dman play. (few have both such as Doughty, Keith, or Weber…)

So what does Gorges bring to the Habs – a team that ranks 4th in the NHL for PK, and 5th in the East for Goals Against….the few aspects saving the Habs this year as the Habs rank 24th in 5X5 scoring.

Gorges is the # 3 Dman for minutes played per game at 21:13.
    Only Subban/Markov have played more Even Strength minutes than Gorges.
    Gorges has also played ‘by far’ the most PK minutes this season for any Habs Dman
    His PK minutes total 214.
    Next closest is Markov at 151, then Murray at 129.

Perhaps one thing few notice is that he always wants the puck first when it’s dumped in.
    He doesn’t ‘fake’ or bail out (like some others), and let an opposing winger get there first.
    He’ll take a huge hit to try and win a puck battle.

Lastly, Gorges will do anything – sacrifice a beating, to protect or ‘stand up’ for his team mates and the Habs sweater.

EX: Remember last season when he dropped the gloves with Leafs enforcer Frazer McLaren?

Gorges: 6′-201 – 9 fights since 2005.
    McLaren : 6’5″-230 – 31 pro fights in the past 2 years.

Let’s see how the Habs do without Gorges in the next 4 weeks….

• gumper says:

+26

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
      Mark Twain

• johnnylarue says:

Nice post, and always refreshing to see John “It’s Just a Flesh Wound!” Gorges get his due on HI/O. ;)

• JUST ME says:

Totally agree. You took the words out of my mouth.
      Thankfully he should be back for playoffs cause he is badly needed on any d-squad. Unfortunately fans do not notice you if you only do the little things. Not important. They also notice you if you drop the gloves ,he does not. If you score often, not his forte.If you are spectacular , really not.
      No one does what he does for the habs. Hopefully the boys will regroup and pick up the slack.

• scamorza says:

Have always liked him as you said solid defenceman, think his game has slipped a bit but believe he has been put in a position that his not his forte I.e. 2nd line PP. Needs to be on the PK and 20 minutes a game

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• habby46 says:

I only have one lettered Habs jersey and it’s a Gorges jersey. I love that guy.

• CJ says:

Good post Ronn. As I said below, if Gorges was on the 5/6 pair, he would be among the best in the business. I think he is played out of position, but there is no denying his compete level and what he is willing to do in sacrificing his body to block shots and take hits to make a play.

46. gumper says:

So if things go well Josh should be able to get a couple of games in before the playoffs.

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
    Mark Twain

47. johnnylarue says:

I wonder how much they had to pay Strombo (a die-hard Habs fan) to take the helm of the Leafs-centric HNIC crew?

Whatever the case, I’m encouraged.

48. habs11s says:

There’s something amazing about an NHL season. 82 games spread over 7 months. It’s filled with crazy highs and deep lows. It’s a full out grind as injuries, road trips and back-to-back games get the best of the players. It’s a marathon in the sports world, culminating with the best 4 round playoff in sports… and then 3 months later, you attempt to do it all over again… it’s magical.

_____________________________________________________________

• Mattyleg says:

I dunno…
      That ridiculous schedule results in the best players in the game getting injured, and the playoffs, which should be a contest amongst the best, usually ends up looking like two punch-drunk prize-fighters leaning against each other, wondering who will buckle first.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

49. Newf_Habster says:

I am thrilled to see George Stroumboulopoulos, a huge Habs fan, be in HNIC. I rather see him sitting next to Grape so he will give him a lot of hard time. :)

I sure hope PJ Stock, Bob Cole and Glenn Healey will not be back his fall. I cannot stand those stupid and biased jerks.

The question is: Will Rogers Sportsnet cover all Habs games this fall? Just wonder…

• johnnylarue says:

Gotta chime in for Bob, here: I’ll grant you that he was well past his prime 15 years ago, but the man is not biased.

• mrhabby says:

the way I understand it..it you want to watch habs , laffs , canucks , bruins etc, etc you will be able to…the format reminds me of the NFL on any given Sunday you can watch any game.

50. CJ says:

Please excuse me if I have missed it, but was Beaulieu recalled today? I suppose, as practice is not until tomorrow, that it could wait until after 5 pm. I am all for supporting and standing behind your team, but at some point we have to address the elephant in the room – our team defence.

I am going to assume that we get the forward lines straightened out. We have the talent, it should be a matter of finding the right combination. There were hints last game, as the third period showcased some changes. I am also assuming that Price returns to full health and picks up from where he left off. However, unless we do something to turn around the defence, I think our focus will fall to the draft by early May.

This might be harsh, but from the comfort of my couch and the occassional live game, I see the following;

Pk is struggling. I can’t, or won’t, try and pinpoint the underlying issues, but the fact remains that his play has noticably dropped from last season. I am a big proponent of our best players being our best players, and, well frankly, PK is not meeting my expectations, as lofty as they might be.

Markov has flashes of brillance, which unfortunately are negated by moments of sheer terror. He remains the General and is a catalyst to holding the whole unit together, but he has lost a step. His on ice vision remains elite and helps to make up for his limitations, but I can’t help but think he is on the back nine right now, especially considering how much he has been used this season.

Emelin. I can’t say more then I already have. I am willing to give him a pass this season following a major injury, but that doesn’t mean his play can not be critiqued. He is simply making far too many errors.

Gorges is a warrior and, as a 5/6, plus our first unit on the PK he would be fantastic. He has been played out of position, which exposes him to match ups that are not favorable.

Murray is a rock. Figuratively and litterally. I like the big man, but he gets turned around and is painfully slow. He brings an element to the roster that we do not have otherwise, and has masked many of his shortcomings by playing sound positional hockey. My greatest concern is the slide he took in last season’s playoffs. I just don’t know if he can be counted upon during the extended season. I have a suspicion that he is on fumes right now.

So, that said, and barring a switch that can be pressed to make everything better, I would propose the following;

PK and Tinordi
    Markov and Beaulieu
    Emelin and Murray/Weaver

When healthy, I would use Gorges on the 5/6 in place of Emelin.

Folks say it is too late to graduate Beaulieu. There are simply too many risks to having he and Tinordi in the lineup. Frankly, having watched every game this year, I ask, what greater risk are we assuming then those that we are currently seeing every night?

Torey Krug joined the Bruins last season following a grand total of ONE (1) regular season game. He had a terrific playoffs. What is the hesitancy of making a change now?

If we do not address our defence, it will be our undoing.

• shiram says:

Subban came in with little NHL experience in 09-10 and had a good experience.
      Could be same for Beaulieu.

The issue I see with your D pairings is that there does not seem to be a clear order to them.
      Or all 3 of them could be good to great second to third pairing.

• CJ says:

Thank you for the feedback. I welcome suggestions. I think Murray and Gorges have been very good together on the PK. I think that they could form a very effective 5/6 pairing. I broke up PK and Markov to try to add a young, inexperienced player, with a playoff tested player. Hence PK Tinordi (who have looked good together this week) and Markov and Beaulieu.

Your point is valid regarding them appearing to be secondary units, but there is simply nobody else within the organization who can add to this compliment, IMO.

Again, just my two cents. I welcome your feedback. Cheers, CJ

• shiram says:

I figure whatever happens, either of Subban or Markov’s pairing would get most ES minutes, and that would be fine if Subban was up to his standard, or looked like last season, or Markov was a few years younger with less work on his knee.

Could be a decent way to “share the load”.

• Paz says:

I really liked Beaulieu but that’s usually the kiss of death for a player on this team.

I thought Subban played well, very well, in at least 3 of the last 5 games.

• CJ says:

PK has been better. The problem, and I am guilty of it, is that expectations have now risen. I expect more from PK. He has had good periods, then he regresses and has a bad two or three shifts. It’s not an easy position to play, and in his defence, nobody is helping to reduce the burden. We could really benefit from a stronger secondary pairing. This is where I believe that Beaulieu can really help.

• johnnylarue says:

I was stunned when it was Tiny who got the call after the Olympics, after the undeniably solid couple of weeks of hockey Beaulieu had given us just prior. He single-handedly adds a layer of dynamism to our D squad that we simply don’t have otherwise–a proper 2nd wave to our struggling PP, and an ability to carry the puck into the offensive zone seemingly at will. We NEED that stuff.

And I’ll go on the record as saying I’ve actually got a problem with his rumoured ‘bad attitude’ being the reason he was left to stew in Hamilton. I’m all for this alleged policy of “holistic player development” that the organization seems to cling to, but not if it’s costing us wins. So the kid is still a self-entitled post-adolescent brat. WHO CARES.

It’s not like letting him rot in the AHL is going to mature him faster as a player or a person. He just doesn’t belong there any longer, in my not so humble opinion.

• arya13 says:

Johnny, I believe the speculation was that Tinordi was brought up because MB was dangling Murray in some trades. The pick up of Weaver seemed to bolster this theory as Murray seemed to be able to be replaced by a combo of Weaver on the PK and Tinordi as the big presence on 5 on 5.

I think Trade Deadline hit and the asking prices were so low (I mean he got Weaver for a 5th rounder….) so he decided not to move Murray since he has the cap space. And you can never have too many bodies.

I’m sure he didn’t plan to be able to pick up Vanek for so cheap but when he did, he took that significant cap hit as well. Now, bringing it back to the topic of CJ, there isn’t enough Cap Space for Beaulieu to come up. Once Tokaraski gets sent back down or Gorges makes it onto IR, they’ll be able to bring Beaulieu up.

That’s my 2 cents. If he doesn’t make it up when either of those things happen, then I’d start to speculate. Now I believe it’s just merely a cap space issue. But I could be wrong. Cap Space Law isn’t my forte.

• CJ says:

Gorges is on IR, so Beaulieu could come up now. Keep in mind, there is no salary cap in the playoffs, so both Beaulieu and Gorges could be on the roster at the same time.

51. krob1000 says:

OK everyone…here is hockey as I see it in a nutshell…a nutshell the size of the everexpanding universe!

Hockey is the bringing together of hundreds of thousands of decisions made by up to 13 players of varying intelligence(impacted by personality, momentum/confidence/learned behaviour,educated guesswork,etc), skill levels and the resulting action of a hockey puck with multiple obstacles both intelligent and inordinate where the objective is to put the puck into one of two nets occuring at speeds varying from 0 to 120 miles per hour in a space limited to 85 by 200 feet over the course of 60 mintues or more. Give that to a mathematician..and have him estimate the possible outcomes…

Hockey sense is the ability to assess (mentally and to be executed you need to react phsyically simultaneously)all of these obstacles and reactions at a faster speed than others. The best players are ones with skillsets thta match their mental skillsets and this is simply because they will ofer themselves the most opportunites to succeed over time. In the end hockey like everything else can be descripted statistically…just not by the methods we see today. USA hockey has the Intelligym that is a useful tool from what I read but even it appears to be in the Atari stage vs the rocket simulation that is actually required to really be effective.

The best thing I ever read about Walter Gretzky was that he used to make Wayne watch hockey and try to follow the puck and draw the pucks path on a rink he had drawn on paper. What a phenomenal way to develop awareness at the time…while it was not perfect science it gave Wayne the building blocks to visualize and understand the tendancies of the game. I still maintain this is thebes tI have seen aside from actual hckey experience..if you ware watching the best players inthe world and trying to anticiapte their decsions in ral time whil visualizing a hockey rink can you really do anything better than tat to understand their behaviour?

Now if some genius wants to start analyzing every players tendencies in various situations then perhaps stats may become advanced after all. But I assume that already happens to some degree byt teh guys on the ice…let us take PK Subban vs Josh Gorges…
    For example if you are playing agaisnt these two….you need a line change…dump it into Gorges corner and not Subban’s. Subban’s immediate first thought is up ice and you may get caught in transition , Gorges is going to control the puck and make safe play.
    In the offesnvie zone Subban early in his career tried to shoot with his head dwon and hit way to many shin pads, oppostion forwards started always playing him in the shooting lane and could cheat out on him to cut the angle as he was going to shoot and had such a deliberate windup. Gorges on the other hand also is predictable…he rarely puts the puck towards the net….so soemtimes guys race to the corner a fraction of a second sooner than they would if it were PK there.
    Subban wil try to push the puck up ice but may turn around if he does not like it…but he will immediately then be looking forward to best advance the puck. His mentality is always try to advance the play. Gorges will usually pass to his partner(Subban) who will be ready for a hinge pass…Gorges will rarely receive this same pass back from Subban. Pk would rather try to beat the forechecker himself and try to make a positive play instead of a nautral or retreating one.
    There is no current metric that would have accurately described Brett Hull’s ability to find dead space, be in perfect position and get way what to this day may be the most intimidating shot in the history of the game off. There is no possession metric that would accuratley assess Phil Esposito’s abilities in front of the net,etc.

What happened to Scott Gomez? he could still skate throught the neutral zone with the games elite, he could still pass with them too…but he became predictable….he lost his confidence IMO and that limited the variances in his game so he became a non factor…yet possesson wise he was great.

There are factors such as intimidation,fear, confidence, anger, depression, fatigue, pain, distraction, anxiety,health, physcial perspective, sight lines, etc,etc,etc, that impact decision making…so how do you quantify this? How many different possbilities are there foreach individual decison? how many decision are made over the course of the game? how many with the puck? here is the best thing….98 percent of the game you will not have the puck….where do you different indivisduals go when they do not have the puck? how do they impact the puck carriers options?does who that person is affect the puck carriers decison making? absolutely it does.

To sum it up….trying to quantify hockey in such simple terms as puck possession is like trying to find a 4 digit code to uncover the secrets of the universe….it really just is not that simple. Is it a stat that may have something to offer? maybe? but hen again so to is plus minus? then again both are archaic relative to what woudl be necessary although one is somehow given the handle of “Advanced Stats”

In summary….we need someone a hell of a lot smarter than Corsi or Fenwick to give us something usable.

• Commandant says:

While what you are saying is true, it just means the stat is less than perfect. It doesn’t mean the stat is not “usable”.

A perfect stat doesn’t exist, but the fact is that these are big improvements over simple things like plus/minus.

In fact, you can’t even look at one stat in a vacuum. You can’t just look at Corsi and be done. You need to look at Strength of opponents, strength of teammates, and zone starts to see if the player is being carried/sheltered or the opposite. Things like Relative Corsi are also good for these things, as well as PDO to see how much luck is involved. There is a lot out there to process and analyze.

Even then, its not perfect… it never will be.

But its a guide…. a tool that you can use, along with the regular scouting information that you get from watching players play.

I don’t think you should base decisions entirely on advanced stats and I don’t think anyone is. I don’t think that anyone is trying to quantify hockey entirely in these simple terms either, and if they are then my belief is that they aren’t using the statistics properly.

But a good talent evaluator will use his own eyes, plus the stats, plus all the information he can gather on the player to base his decision. This is the information age, and computers have made it so that information overload is not as big a concern as it was.

I don’t see where having more information at a GM’s disposal before making decisions is a bad thing. As long as the GM looks at a relevant sample size, and knows how to use the numbers as a compliment to his other information gathering techniques.

The biggest problem in all these debates is that too many people want to make it one or the other….

Either
      The Stats are Useless.
      or
      The Stats are the Greatest thing ever, and all you need.

The truth is, they are neither…. they are useful, if used correctly with other traditional scouting techniques.

• krob1000 says:

That much I can agree on and you clearly have the same approach I do to them. As long as people understand all of the different factors and their impact than I get it. It is the overreliance on these advanced though that is becoming the norm…in fact I have a hard time even calling them advanced. I am still interested when someone says something statistical and I myself use them too….but the idea carry any more weight than others I do not agree.
        You mention sample size being large enough and that is where I disagree….with the infinite amount of possibilities over the course of one hockey game I see the current database as a blink of an eye in time. Someone should take one player…just one….have several cameras follow that one player and monitor every decision and angle of that players options,etc over time and then compare similar situations with as many of the other variables being comparable and track resulting outcomes…then they may be on to something but I just see the size of the work being necessary to bring validity to these stats in hockey taking years and year in actual game minutes per player to have real relevance. I think the same player could play an entire career and have very few circumstance where you could actually see the same pass happen under almost similar circumstances.

• Commandant says:

Thats all true.

But there is something to be said about the fact that a Sidney Crosby makes the correct decision (offensively speaking) far more often than say a Ryan White (just an example). Or maybe its that Sidney Crosby has the natural talent to make his decision the right one, where for White it wouldn’t be.

Either way, you don’t have to break it down as far as you want to. Sure your way might create a more perfect stat. But its impossible to get that perfection.

What these can do is show you that a guy with natural gifts talent wise, and outstanding hockey sense more often than not makes the correct play vs his peers. And that function Correct vs Incorrect, gets played out thousands of times in the stats. No one makes the correct play all the time, but for those who do it more than others there is some element of the stats that bear it out.

Now you look at the other stats to see if it is because of teammates or opponents that are inflating his stats, or sheltered minutes that are doing it, and you can get some good data.

Take that data and actually watch the player with your own eyes, and you can see if the data is reliable or not.

Im finding that while not 100%, these stats are more reliable than anything i’ve looked to in the past (like +/-, points, etc…)

52. habstrinifan says:

@Maritime Ronn!

“Why the dislike on Murray”. Thanks for the question. A pointed question in the context of the posts around it.

If I can speak for myself but with the presumptous belief that I can convey the sentiment of people who think like me.

When a ‘marginal’ player like Murray comes into our system and becomes a ‘star’, an ‘irreplaceable’ a ‘stalwart’, we do not look down on his contribution.

The concern is not how well the ordinary hockey player does in our system. It is how ordinary is the hockey content of our system.

In the long term it has failed to ‘develop’ our players. Apart from our goalkeeper, it’s been a awhile when any one of our ‘outside’ players has attained elite level in the league.

There is not one commentary about our team which does not START and END with our goalkeeper.

If our ‘systems’ had produced winning hockey or nurtured superior hockey players or even had provided a significant standard of measurement for team building… then it would have had its merits.

But based on results; based on entertainment; based on hockey value; and based on the development of players … our approach to hockey in the last whatever years has been a failure.

I ask you simply to look back to three years ago when Yannick Weber was considered ‘a top flight prospect we couldnt lose’ and very recently, when Diaz was similarly treasured, to see how the type of hockey this organization has adopted has contributed to a ‘spinning of the wheels’ and an inability to properly judge players.

Which is why the league is ‘peppered’ with our former ‘stars’ in utilitarian roles.

53. theox_8 says:

I will admit I have been very critical of Gorges play , but damn they need him back out on the ice ASAP .

54. Mr. Biter says:

Who is George S? (not even going to try spelling the last name)

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

55. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

Dear Josh: suck it up! :)

56. Butterface says:

I would like to see more Beaulieu and less Tinordi. I keep trying to tell everyone that size doesn’t matter. It is skill.

Also I haven’t seen enough of Weaver to make a comment..

Maybe we can get Vanek on the ice for Wednesday’s game…. he must still be enroute from the Islanders. I have been looking for him the past two games, but still no sign of him. If anyone sees him be sure to point him in the right direction. ;)

***********************
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
    ***********************

57. Maritime Ronn says:

mrhabby posted on the last thread:
    its obvious..Budaji has a good record against the Bruins.
    ——————-
    It’s a small sample, but YES he does.

Career: 4-1. SP:919. GAA: 2.35

With the Habs:
    2013-2014: 1-0. SP: .971. GAA: 1.00 (@ Boston)
    2012-2013: 2-0. SP: .918. GAA: 2.87 (both games @ Boston)

Price has also been wonderful throughout his career against the Bruins:
    GP:29
    Record: 17-8-3
    SP:.919
    GAA: 2.50

58. Mattyleg says:

Amazing article by Rahshard Medenhall about why he retired from the NFL at 26.

I didn’t know who this guy was, but he sounds amazing, and he can tell us a lot about our responsibility as fans.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Luke says:

Very interesting. Thx. (That’s “internet for “thanks”).

• Commandant says:

Profootballtalk ripped him, and said its not exactly the way things have gone down. And pointed out the timing of the announcement as curious to say the least.

Of course, the fact that Mendenhall has seen his stats decline in each of the last three years had nothing to do with it.

Of course the fact that no one was beating down his door with big money a contract offer had nothing to do with.

Of course the fact that he has already made $15 million and was likely to only be offered a $750,000 one-year deal, non-guaranteed with him having to make his new team as a backup had nothing to do with it.

Call me skeptical on this Mendenhall bit.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Tks for posting FACTS, and it has nothing to do with being skeptical!

• Forum Dog says:

Mendenhall has a history of questioning “facts”, and has taken abuse for it before. Truth is, he is the best one to comment on his motives, and $750K is still a good chunk of money to turn down where I come from.

If you assume it is all about the money, then there is good reason to be skeptical. But if the man simply doesn’t think that 3/4 of a million dollars compensates for a lifestyle he no longer wants, well, that prerogative is equally valid. The hype and nonsense that goes with the NFL is way more than football, and there is way more to life than that.

• Commandant says:

$750,000 is a good chunk of money, no doubt.

The bigger issue is that none of it is guaranteed. He’ll basically be given a contract that says… if you make the team you get $750,000, but if you don’t you get a few thousand for showing up at training camp and working your ass off all offs-season to stay in shape.

Given his recent performance, and the number of running backs available the 750,000 isn’t even a sure thing.

However in the article he says that he’s walking away from Millions.

Thats not an accurate representation of the facts. He’s walking away from a tryout with an NFL team, where he would make league minimum.

He is in the same spot that many NHL tryout guys are in every September.

If he wants to walk away… good… more power to him. But the whole idea that “I’m walking away from million cause football has changed man” is not exactly true.

• Forum Dog says:

That’s fair. There are two sides to everything, and the truth is usually somewhere in between.

• Mattyleg says:

He says that other people say that he’s walking away from millions of dollars, not that he himself says that. It is about their speculation on his contract.

And he’s not saying that he’s leaving because football has changed, but that it is much more cynical at the top levels than it is when you are young, and he has seen that and doesn’t like it.

I don’t like it much either.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Forum Dog says:

Great read, thanks for posting. Refreshing to see a pro athlete who sees more than what is right in front of him. It seems to be the exception rather than the norm. We live in a society heavily driven by the dream (or myth) of ever-expanding profit, usually at the expense of overall quality of life, and a story like Mendenhall’s alleviates some of the cynicism.

• johnnylarue says:

That kid is friggin’ awesome–thanks for sharing, Matty.

• scamorza says:

Wow didn’t know he retired – very smart man. I remember jones-Drew of Jacksonville saying that he couldn’t care less of early dementia etc from too many concussions after the age of 50(?) if it meant that he could earn millions more. Guess everyone has different priorities in life

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

59. HUDSONHAB says:

Please. Please. Please MT. Don’t put Vanek with Gionta. Give him some offensive creativity and youth and enthusiasm to play beside.

60. BobbySmithWasClutch says:

They must have known this was likely when they picked up Weaver. Makes me concerned about why exactly we picked up Dubnyk.

61. Luke says:

I just joined a ‘Fitness Studio’.

How dumb is that?

62. Mattyleg says:

Heh heh.
    ‘You might also like’ title:
    “PK Subban in the media spotlight again at Habs practice”
    Photo:
    Max Pacioretty

—Hope Springs Eternal—

63. D Mex says:

Habs Alert !
    While presenting a lifetime achievement award to director David Cronenburg at the CSAs last night, Viggo Mortensen (again) proudly flashed the CH for the cameras.
    Gotta’ love it ! :-D

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

64. Phil C says:

CommandantMARCH 10, 2014 AT 12:13 PM
    The way they had their powerplay set up for part of the game yesterday, an umbrella with Beaulieu on the left boards, and Thomas on the right boards, was really inexplicable.

Neither guy is positioned for the one timer there. A simple switch of those two would give more options for Andrighetto or Pateryn (who manned the top of the umbrella).

That and St. pierre has been the top scorer but never has he played on the top line or with the best wingers this year. Macenaur who is more a checking role guy, is always with the best wingers. It can’t even be said to be a chemistry thing cause when Thomas was hurt, or Andrighetto hurt, Macenaeur would still get the best available winger.

_____________________________________________________

Thanks for this. This confirms my suspicion that offensive hockey is a bit of a blind spot for the organization, or those who understand offensive hockey do not have a voice. Sounds like a shake up is needed in Hamilton.

I don’t think the Habs are much better based on some of the mistakes being made and the line combos being drawn up. Hopefully with Vanek being added, they are forced into realizing that it is not a lack of talent in the players and start looking elsewhere for solutions.

• johnnylarue says:

Haven’t been following the Dogs all that closely, but what I’ve seen and read of them certainly has me questioning Lefebvre’s coaching acumen… not that I think I could do better!

• Commandant says:

I’d say that coaching is definitely part of the problem. That said, the offensive skill set of the forwards also leaves a lot to be desired.

Andrighetto has been great. No issues. But also was hurt for a long stretch, which in turn hurt the team.
      Christian Thomas has talent, but has had some nagging injuries and can’t get on track.
      St. Pierre is a career AHLer likely, but he’s a career AHLer who can score, he’s not used properly IMO.

Beyond that.
      Leblanc had a great stretch, but now looks like the Leblanc from last season. I’m starting to get down on his NHL chances.

When Tarnasky, Dumont, and Blunden are three of your biggest offensive threats, you know the teams offense is in trouble. With St. Pierre scratched, that was the team’s second line yesterday.

65. bel33 says:

Sidenote: That Kate Upton pic above the comments is distracting… in a good way.

Is that “Dreamweaver” I hear playing???

- I’d buy that for a dollar! -

• 2014 Norris Trophy winner, "Dan Hamhuis"! says:

bel, I love your comment, “I’d buy that for a dollar”. It reminds me of an old Flintstones episode, when Fred was running for mayor, and his mantra was, “Who’s baby is that, what’s your angle and I’d buy that for a dollar”.

66. Commandant says:

Kings coach confirms what the Advanced Stats watchers already knew… the best defense doesn’t come from a guy who blocks lots of shots and throws lots of hits (aka Doug Murray). It comes through puck possession.

• Luke says:

Detroit did it for the last 20 years.

Add in a little “instead of sitting back and defending, keep trying to score.”

• Phil C says:

This is how Chicago defended last year as well and were able to easily defeat a much bigger Kings team.

• shiram says:

I hate the Habs emphasis on blocking shots.

• krob1000 says:

that is a ridiculously general statement….I could just as easily say…doubters of advanced statistical importance have confirmation that team that scores most goals wins games.

The only way advanced stats every accurately provide anything to the game of hockey of real importance (anymore than existing stats) is if they monitor decision making. A great NHl player has the stick on and off his stick, in a hurry, the puck possession stats reward two dmen retreating with multiple hinge passes back into their own zone. They then allow the opposition to roganize a forecheck, have lost two zones but POSSESSED the puck the entire time?

A guy like Markov or Subban tries to make passes that create but will be penalized even though they eventually lead to more opportnities. These advanced stats are as flawed as any other. Just like plus/minus is useless without perspective so too is puck possession. The Red Wings were great at puck possession because they were an exrtemly skilled and fast hockey team, they were able to possess the puck because they were masters of puck support and highly skilled.More importantly they made positive plays while possessing the puck.

All teams try to have the puck more than the other team….but if they are not making positive plays it is useless. Take our HAbs dmen who instead of getting pucks to the net dump it into the corner? HAbs retrieve puck, puck is safely 200 ft from HAbs net…do you think Markov or PK would dump that puck into the corner? what about Lidstrom? DOughty?…don;t think so. The advanced stats are not that advanced and are no better IMO than plus minus. You need to factor in different options, what the BEST decision was to make,etc. Sometimes the safest decision is not the best decsion and sometimes the risky decision is….it is too fast to measure with tehse metircs. You best stats…are wins and losses. As mentioned there are various types of puck possession and I agree it is very important…but puck possession of significance is important.

• Commandant says:

No stat is perfect, I agree.

However the newer stats are much better than puck possession, and do show a very high correlation to winning percentage.

When you get a big enough sample size, you realize that making the right decision more often than not, is a play that leads to increased possession. In small sample sizes the right play may be a dump into the corner, as you say, but once you account for slightly different situations throughout enough games over a long stretch, you see that the teams with great puck possession are also the ones getting the most wins.

No stat is perfect, but these stats combined with other factors of scouting such as watching the player, can be useful tools in any analysts/scout’s back pocket.

Its that you need to know how to use them, without being blinded and overly reliant on them.

• habstrinifan says:

AMEN! A fffffing MEN! I never thought I would see the day when someone as incontrovertibly knowledgeable and respected on this site as you highlight the main reason why our team is in bad hands(intentional or not).

I dont know if you intend the message to be thus… but you posting this link explaining the philosophy of a coach who cannot be considered laissez-fair loose offensively.. should open some eyes.

• Commandant says:

Last season I liked MT’s approach. We were a two man forecheck team, that maintained puck possession and didn’t rely on all the sit back, shot block approach. We needed more size, sure, to play tha game even better (size with speed and skill, not murray and parros), but still.

This year, our whole system has changed, and drastically for the worse I might add. We are lucky that Price has been so much better this season than last.

• Maritime Ronn says:

No arguments there, yet when you don’t have the players to control the puck, you better have something else.

By the way, why the ‘dislike on’ for Murray?
      Perhaps you could explain what $1.5M buys in today’s NHL and don’t forget to post the ‘intangibles’ that are important to a room and team chemistry such as when Murray took a pounding from John Scot for the Habs jersey…

• Commandant says:

Here’s the thing.

Murray plays the most sheltered minutes on the team. The number of offensive zone starts given, and the matchups he is utilized in show that he is extremely sheltered.

Despite that, his puck possession stats are the worst of any player in the NHL who takes a regular shift. The only guys he is better than have been either 7th defencemen (and even of those there are few)… spare forwards, and goons who play less than 6:00 on average per night. Quite simply his possession stats despite some of the most sheltered minutes in the league, are still amongst the worst in the league.

He’s good on the penalty kill, but that is his sole use, and he’s not even that good on it.

As far as the Toughness goes… if you have Jarred Tinordi in the lineup, he can handle that role on the backend. And do a much better job than Murray defensively.

So yes, for $1.5 million I could find a better defenceman. In fact two of them in both Tinordi and Beaulieu (who both have outperformed Murray when they were in the lineup).

Really people who know me, know I’m not one of those guys who is always about the stats and I actually watch and scout the games.

In Murray I see the worst skater in the NHL, who plays a regular shift. I’m not even exaggerating. he wasn’t this bad, 4 or 5 years ago, but he was never fast and is considerably slower today. Other teams know this and they exploit it all the time… dumping pucks into his corner… beating him wide and cutting in. He just can’t handle the speed.

When he does get the puck, he handles it like a hand grenade, everything is chip it out off the glass, give up possession and defend again.

67. Luke says:

Can I get a “Wow. How much do I actually not care about this?” option on the poll?

This “Yes” or “No” stuff has to stop. For the Poll to regain it’s place as the 11th most read portion of HI/O, it really needs to pick it’s game up.

#FreeThePoll

• Mattyleg says:

Or a ‘What’s Hockey Night In Canada?’ option.

I haven’t officially recognized HNIC since Dave Hodge tossed his pen.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Habcouver says:

I agree with you on this, Luke. The question ranks close to something like, “Did you approve of Don Cherry’s suit on HNIC?”.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• Mustang says:

Luke, totally agreed. A third option, something like “who cares?”, would probably receive 90% of the votes.

68. mrhabby says:

The shot blocking will be missed.

• krob1000 says:

No it won’t….Weaver plays exact same style….and is basically a RH version. When Waeaver was picked up it made no sense…then this new broke and it made perfect sense. Weaver is perfect replacement.

• mrhabby says:

I did not realize Weaver was good at shot blocking. Gorges I think leads the league or close to it.

• krob1000 says:

Groges is one of the best…but Weaver is no clouch and last game he showed the same fearlessness. Given MOntreal expects it I suspect he will do exactly as Gorges does (gets PK duties in Monreal will make shot bloacking mandatory and passive pk will mean increased blocks for Weaver). HE is no slouch either…he is 59th….which means a top 2 shot blocker on his team and in his MTL role that will escalate I suspect. Even PK blocks shots in MOntreal…

• shiram says:

Gorges is second in the league with 173 blocked shot.
          Weaver is 59th with 99 blocked shots.
          Subban, Murray, Diaz and Markov all have more blocked shots than Weaver.

• krob1000 says:

In two games he has played in MOntreal…he leads team with 5…he will be just fine.

• Johnny9 says:

A lot of nhl defensemen can shot block and do nothing else, and guess what? We don’t have to pay them 4 million dollars to do so! Gauthier screwed us with this horrible contract for a 5-6th defensemen who cant hit, shoot, skate, fight, clear the net, but he can block shots and give up the puck! Thanks Pierre!

69. RetroMikey says:

Have to agree with Johnny 9.
    Bring Tinordi up with Bealieu and Pateryn.
    Rookies have to learn in the NHL and if they are the core of our D for years to come according to Bergy and the fans here, give them a shot.
    I won’t miss Gorges, Boullion and the newly acquired Weaver if they sit.
    Young blood on the D is good.
    The team is years away from even being tagged a Cup contender so gibe them a shot Bergy.
    Out with the old and in with the new!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• wjc says:

This could be their year, stay with veterans as much as possible.

Next year is the time for getting Pateryn in the lineup.

Rookie mistakes could cost the playoffs, stick with the plan and hope lady luck smiles on you.

Price gets hot, Subban stars, Patriocetty keeps scoring, Vanek finds a groove and brings along a whole line with him, Gallagher keeps being Gallagher, Markov is rejuvinated, Briere gets hot at the right time, Murray puts fear in the rough guys, Emilin finds his hitting again, Canadiens can play defence…..I say this year is as good as any year to ‘get er goin’.

wjc

70. jimmy shaker says:

Marek is a dweeb…..millard is decent!

Shaker out!

71. Hobie Hansen says:

Stroumboulopoulos will join Hockey Night’s Ron MacLean and Don Cherry, along with Sportsnet’s Daren Millard and Jeff Marek as the “cornerstones” of the new hockey coverage, Rogers said in a release.

MacLean, the longtime host of Hockey Night, will host the Coach’s Corner segment on Hockey Night in Canada on Saturday nights, and will be “front and centre” on Sunday coverage, said Scott Moore, president of Sportsnet and NHL properties for Rogers.

72. Johnny9 says:

Best news EVER!!!!! Now Tinordi can take his place and never give it up and show everyone he is capable of playing and Gorges can be a 7th defencemen, or better yet, they can get rid of him and save cap space for free agency!

And then there’s the Price situation. Worrisome times to be sure.

• krob1000 says:

I think he could probably be playing now and as is the case with Prust they are being conservative. The team is still in a very good position and as much as Habs were losng..so too were all of the teams competing for a playoff spot. Habs are still 94 percent faves to get into playoffs so why risk Price aggravating it again?

• Habcouver says:

Certainly interesting times, particularly the Price situation.
      So if I understand correctly, CP aggravated this injury in practice prior to playing the games in Sochi. He played through the uncomfort and still managed to be the outstanding goaltender.
      I’m assuming he’s feeling the pain now. I think it was all worth it for Price but shouldn’t Habs be compensated by Olympic fund (similar to Tavares’ injury)?

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

74. jlgib1019 says:

I thought he hurt it in the Toronto game. They were checking it out on the bench

jr

75. jlgib1019 says:

Our record shows we are a mediocre to good team who needs a favorable matchup to advance in the playoffs.And its been like that most of the last 12 yrs. The exception being 07-08 when we were 1st in the east and 11-12 when we were last

jr

76. scamorza says:

That is what he is a 3rd paring dman whattaya want for a 5th round pick . You know what mAde some good defensive plays in his first few games

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

77. CJ says:

Shae Weber had a decent game. Weird deflection on the third (tying) goal. The winger lost Methot on the second goal, and the entire five man unit looked to have their signals crossed on the first goal. He is not without fault, but overall Weber is a monster.

Karlsson was on for all four goals against.

I’ve tried to, honestly I have, but I can’t see what others do regarding Karlsson’s overall game. He is Paul Coffey offensively and Patrick Traverse defensively. There is not a more polarizing player in the league. Watch him live sometime if you haven’t. It’s like he hates to play defence. As soon as the puck moves the other way it’s like he gets a burst of energy. He is amazing on offence. Really it’s like a fourth forward. But, defensively, yikes.