Habs given day off Thursday after loss in Philly

The Canadiens flew home after Wednesday night’s 3-1 loss to the Flyers in Philadelphia and were given the day off Thursday by coach Michel Therrien.

The Canadiens will practise next at 11 a.m. Friday in Brossard before facing the Stanley Cup-champion Chicago Blackhawks Saturday night at the Bell Centre (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

A day after being named to Team Canada for the Sochi Olympics, P.K. Subban found himself back in coach Michel Therrien’s doghouse. Subban took a roughing penalty during a scrum at the end of the second period and found himself benched for the first half of the third period.

“Very bad penalty,” Therrien told reporters in Philadelphia after the game. “The team concept will always prevail. We’ll never, never, never change that.”

(Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

Therrien was simply doing his job by benching Subban, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Flyers jump to early lead, hold on for win, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Habs didn’t execute, Therrien says, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

GM Bergevin says Habs are on right track, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Canadiens have rich history at Olympics, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Habs fly by night out of Philly, Canadiens.com

Words from the room (video), Canadiens.com

Red-hot Flyers could be darkhorse in the East, The Hockey News

Sabres name Tim Murray general manager, NHL.com

1,414 Comments

1. habstrinifan says:

In reply to a brilliant bit of creativity by John Bellyful, 24Cups wrote
    at 9:28 pm…

“What a great way to summarize the madness of the day.
    Brilliant, as usual.”

Two brilliant HIO posters.

John Bellyful providing the ecumenism, in prose, which helps remind us here in HIO….we are in the end all HABS fans.

And 24Cups…succinctly making sure the rest of us GOT the message and its healing.

Thank you guys. I mean that.

You made me feel stooopid. But you did it in such a smart soothing way. I hope you fully understand how important you are.

I will be stoopid again I am sure. It’s good to know you two will be here.

Thanks guys!

AND GO HABS GO!

2. Mats Naslund says:

MT’s job is to win hockey games not sand bag his team’s chances with childish ‘messages’. What a lazy excuse for being every bit as emotionally irresponsible as the player he accused by benching! Never put yourself before the team eh MT? Unless of course you’re the pouty coach. Them it’s fine as long as you pretend you’re teaching them a lesson rather than just being a total moron.

3. Mattyleg says:

Yay!
    Washington beat TB in regulation!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• savethepuck says:

Puts the Leafs in 10th place and Habs still only 1 point out of 3rd. Now it will be a perfect night if LA beats Boston in regulation.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

4. Mattyleg says:

Evenin’ all!

Just to clarify for those of you who may have missed it earlier today:

The CBA says that teams need to give players 4 days off per month, and those days need to be scheduled at the beginning of the month.

This is one of those days – makes sense to have it when there’s a two-day break between games.

Just so that you don’t think that MT gave them time off for crappy behaviour!!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

5. punkster says:

Feel like Moanin’

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
    but…
    ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

6. habsfan0 says:

Can we trade Michel Therrien for Patrick Roy?

7. habcertain says:

The best for the bridge is ” the gold standard” for contracts, yes I see now, smart negotiating. Haven’t heard that one on awhile.

8. WindsorHab-10 says:

Gee, I wonder what Therrien has in store for the team on Friday?

My gut feeling tells me………….Bowling.

• SlovakHab says:

Here’s what’s in store from Michel:

Getting outshot, weird line combos, competent defenceman scratched for Cube or Murray, benching skilled players, terrible zone clearances and sitting on a lead, if any occurs.

And as an icing on the cake, we’ll actually have heaps of icings. And take a timeout after one of them.

9. JohninTruro says:

Brady Vail with a hat trick as he buried all of Windsor’s goals in an 8-3 loss. He has really come on in the last month.

• CJ says:

Saw him in ottawa last week. Left with the same impression. He and Bozon have been really good this past month.

• JohninTruro says:

Yes Bozon has also quietly picked it up. a couple of 6’1 200lb guys. Potential additions to the Bulldogs next fall.

• CJ says:

I thought vail was a lock for the US at the WJC based on his play this season.

Agreed, both in Hamilton next year. Slowly but surely we are building something.

• JohninTruro says:

I didn’t think he would be because of how poorly he played in Windsor last year (playing some D aside), how poorly he played in rookie camp, and he started the season poorly. Dynamite right now though. Good player when he is skating and using his body. 3rd line guy.

• CJ says:

He wasn’t putting up the points, but he is so good defensively. He would have really helped the Americans. In any event, glad to see him boosting his scoring.

• jimmy shaker says:

Hey I was at this game, he is a big quick skater that goes hard to the net and has a great release. Too bad their tender was poop and the rest of the team didn’t show up!

Shaker out!

10. Haberoooo13 says:

Bring back the old joke:
    Dude #1: “I won 2nd prize in the office raffle and got 4 Leaf tickets”
    Dude #2: “What was 1st prize?”
    Dude #1: “2 tickets”
    Lafleur coming out rather gingerly…

11. adadi says:

Can we trade the 17% that agree with Therrien to TO for a bag of pucks. They’d be right at home in that loser organization.

12. DipsyDoodler says:

D. Clarkson (Tor). 3 goals 5 assists in 30 games.

• formerly known as the hc says:

Proof that trying to build a team in the NHL through free agency works.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

Rene Borque 6 goals 1 assist for the season……never looked up the hits for the big soft winger but doubt he has more than 5-6 for the season. A very useless hockey player on a team that needs some grit. There are a few players on the team that are in double minus numbers. Really MT doesn’t have much to work with as a group. He is doing okay in an environment where he has to keep spoiled millionairs happy….what a daunting task. If you posters can be objective for a bit but you can’t well you’d see PK as a high risk player and does take really dumb penalties….many times I have noticed him double and triple cross checking opposing players in the neck area. So have you but either you are too immature to recognize it or you are wearing blinders either way he deserves to be disciplined and if he is so immature as to leaventhe team as many suggest I say good ridance. Yes I am a staunch Habs fan.

13. CJ says:

Just to add insult to further injury, our organization owns platinum season tickets at the ACC for both the Leafs and Raports. As unbelievable as this sounds, the face value is $900 for hockey games. That’s per seat!

Can you possibly imagine paying $1800 for a pair of seats to watch the Leafs play. Sure, I understand that most of these seats are owned by corporations, but somebody’s going to the game and watching this hot mess.

I’m actually looking forward to watching what Cherry has to say on Saturday night. Might be a classic!

14. Habcouver says:

So, if the Caps beat Tampa, the Laffs fall out of the wildcard position?

Waiting patiently for #25

15. WAR72 says:

Pat hickey says as part of the collective bargaining agreement the habs must have had the day off today. But this site claims that therrien gave them the day off. Such bs. Fanning the flames. False reporting,HIO.

16. duffy says:

Joe Bowen and Greg Millen will be very disappointed with there team tonight.!

17. montreal ace says:

Ryder what a scorer, 15 goals this year for NJD’s, I hate that team cause if they make the playoffs, they will be hard to beat.

18. duffy says:

The forty nine million dollar man not looking to good out there !

19. JohnBellyful says:

on the light. That’s when she slipped off her jersey and tossed a come-hither look my way. I couldn’t refuse so I went thither.
    But I digress.
    Once again, HIO is a divided community. The fidelity of many posters is being called into question by defenders of the faith (that manager and coach know what they’re doing).
    I don’t understand why there is this constant to and fro.
    There is plenty of room on the Canadiens bandwagon for instruments and tunes of all kinds.
    Ya got your brass – trumpets, tuba, French horn, of course, and slide trombones. Ya got your woodwinds – saxophones, flutes, piccolos and clarinets. And ya got your strings – violins, cello, guitars, mandolin and zither.
    Throw in some drums and a keyboard, and viola! I mean, voila! We got ourselves a bandwagon!
    Now, not everyone’s playing the same tune at the same time, and not everyone’s in key, but it’s one bandwagon all the same, say what you will and berate if you must.
    Just remember, however, on those rare occasions when everyone’s reading from the same page (of music), what a grand thing it is to hear.
    Not every song needs be a stirring anthem, a rousing march, a classical tour-de-force. A bandwagon – a good bandwagon – has a repertoire that includes songs of protest and anger and sorrow. Blues and ballads and raps.
    So, sure, HIO can be cacophony one day, a symphony next.
    But seldom is it ever phony.
    The emotions are raw and for real.
    Now if you prefer your bandwagon to be in harmony day in, day in – no discord – well, here’s what it would look like.
    Not bad, not bad at all.
    But it probably wouldn’t last for very long

20. Buzz Lightbeer says:

Is it just me or has anybody else noticed the lack of break aways and odd man rushes the habs have had this year?

21. Danno says:

There are Habs fans, then there are HABS fans…

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

22. The Capitalist Pig says:

When you trust a fart and it goes
    awry its called a Phaneuf!”

23. PrimeTime says:

Don’t kid yourselves……Hab fans love the drama.

24. temekuhabs says:

We need a goal scorer, there is a UFA at years end a certain winger in Columbus???
    I know he’s had major problems staying healthy
    What you all think of taking a chance with Gaborik???

25. Danno says:

To take your minds off the PK-MT drama have some fun and follow the hashtag #FireCarlyle on twitter. Leaf fans are going bananas over their suckulence.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

Man, those Carolina jerseys are really awful.

27. twilighthours says:

Last post of the night. I won’t rehash my thoughts, but just say that is is one hell of a website. You people (even you wrong ones) are awesome.

28. RiverviewCanadien says:

So how about none other than the man Plekanec last night eh?!
    Kills off an entire PK, then while killing the next one, scores a shorty!

And to touch base on the Subban subject. The kid will be fine, I think its good for him to be taken down a notch or two once in a while. He’ll still be a superstar for the Canadiens!

Relax with a smoke and a pancake…

Folks, it’s Bushmills time, and that’ll keep ya warm!

29. SlovakHab says:

Hilarious. Liles scores against the Leafs, his 1st of the season.

4-1 Canes

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

That is awesome, is that what they call poetic justice?

And they sent Holland down because if he played 2 more games they would have to give up a 2nd instead of a 3rd round pick. And as pointed out by CJ, Ashton is -2 in 1:30 of ice time. Just loving it!

• CJ says:

Carolina with a shorty….5-1. Tick, tick, tick…..time is running out on Caryle. I just hope they play this way against Montreal next Saturday night. We owe them a six goal beat down.

• SlovakHab says:

Wow, that’s actually hilarious.

9 points in 22 games, and 5 goals. plus-one.
        Not that bad. But yeah, let them ice Orr and the like. That helps.

30. Steven says:

Leafs are absolutely falling apart. Go on Twitter, if you have one, and take a good look at all the “Fire Carlyle”s being thrown around.

31. Mark C says:

Where do I donate my five dollars to the Save Subban foundation?

I hear if we raise $60 million he can relocated to a safe team where he will no longer be hunted by his coach and general manager.

• Eddie says:

60 million won’t be enough dude. He’s looking at 70 plus.

• Mark C says:

$70+ huh? Hard to believe anyone still thinks he would have signed for $5 mill a year one year ago.

• Mark C says:

Why? When all it took was a little over 40 games to get him the $7+ a year range, now another 40 games later we’re talking about $70+ on a long term deal.

• Eddie says:

It’s just a feeling, but when they were talking bridge contract the 5 million per seemed like a very reasonable and very big number that Subban could have jumped at.

I remember suggesting 6 years and 30 million.

I had at least half the people here, more than half, say I was nuts. He was not worn more than a 3 million bridge contract.

It’s all in the HIO archives. Lots of heated posts. They’re all there.

• Mark C says:

Forgot the posters on here for a moment. Put yourself in Subban’s skates (shouldn’t be hard for you), why are you taking $5 a year for 6(!) years? You’re supremely talented, in the best shape of your life, a lock out season was made for your young legs, and to top it off in a few years odds are the cap is going up. Go out there and kill it, put up a monster season and you’ve become a $7+ a year player.

Why are you short changing yourself?

• Eddie says:

Shouldn’t be hard for me, Mark? Why? Because I’ve always supported Subban when others here were calling him a bad team player, selfish, and worse. I still remember those posts.

Ya Mark. Hindsight is 20/20 ay?

When I suggested 5 million most scoffed at it.

No one, not you especially, was suggesting that Subban would be worth 7 or 8 million 1 year later. That was MY argument for signing him for 5. Because we would save millions over the term. Millions.

• Mark C says:

I was trying discuss rationally what P.K. might be expected to do, not what posters on this site said. I could care less about a lot that is said on this site.

Yes, it shouldn’t be hard for you. Your defense of all things P.K. has become omnipresent. By now you should have a good feel on the situation.

My situation isn’t hindsight. Do you think Meehan didn’t advise P.K. On the possibility of having a great season and really cashing it? Do you think P.K. wasn’t going to have a great season? Do think after years of the cap going up it would trend down in the future? This isn’t hindsight, this is the most probable path on the decision tree.

Looks like laffs will fall out of playoff spot tonight. Habs not too far behind though.

• JF says:

Habs are still OK, but if they don’t start playing better, they’ll be overtaken by Detroit or Ottawa, who are looking a lot better than they did earlier in the season. I just tell myself that if we miss the playoffs,we’ll get a higher draft pick.

33. VancouverHab says:

“I agree that PK had to be called out for what he did. It was an immature and selfish reaction.”

Total crap. (No offense intended–just my emotional reaction.)

It was an ordinary insignificant hockey play that happens in every game. I would have commended Subban for showing emotion and aggression after a total mugging–a mugging, WAY worse than the petty punch–that the zebras ignored, as they always do when it’s against Subban.

Short dismissal of the wrongheaded judgement: if the Rocket were alive today and playing on the Habs and was black, Therrien would have to ship him to Siberia, not just bench him for half a period.

And the irony of that is that Richard was abused for the same reason that Subban is absused: because in both cases the officials were-are part of an ethnic majority that shared-share the default unsympathy toward the particular ethnic minority.

And thus an even greater irony in that Therrien, who shares the Rocket’s minority ethnicity (a minority in North America), has the same (at the very least) ‘unsympathy’ toward Subban as the ethnic majority do.

This will end badly.

• Danno says:

My name is Danno and I approve this message.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• Thomas Le Fan says:

I think you’re talking crap. I believe that it’s his flamboyance, flare and cockiness that annoys old fashioned hockey minds, not his race.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• VancouverHab says:

Flamboyance , flair (note sp), and cockiness are racial code words, dude.

And, PS, that flamboyance , flair, and cockiness got Therrien two goals and a win against Dallas the other night.

Therrien is a total moron: don’t join him.

• habcertain says:

Don’t bother explaining that Van, they still won’t get it

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Oops. SP aside, Therrien Is a total moron, I’ve been saying that all season. Do you think I’m defending him? I just don’t believe race is the issue and there is no evidence that it is. Stupidity is the issue. MT, like the other MT (spit) thinks players’ spirits need to be broken regardless of all other factors.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• VancouverHab says:

Yeah, I see that now. Sorry for the misreading.

We agree on MT’s idiocy, disagree on the racial component.

That’s life!

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Oh. Okay. My black daughter aside, PK and Price are my favourite players on this team. No code words and race has nothing to do with my opinion on how old school hockey minds want conformity not flamboyance, FLAIR and cockiness. Been there myself in my own way.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• SlovakHab says:

I’m with ya.

34. Captain Pike says:

Hey Front, I think you mean the Andoreans.
    You know what they say at star fleet headquarters…
    Once you go blue, you want more than two.

35. HABZ24 says:

Terrien is turning into another mario trembly.showing he is the boss,he calls the shots,he will train,break in,rein in,corrale,contain PK,keep pk in his place.what bullcrap.superstars Are treated differenty and should be,PK carrys the team with price on his back.having a pissing contest terrien vs pk is stupid. Terrien is dead wrong pissing on Pk like he does,let the stallion run,dont tame him.looks as if the rest of the team has stopped listening and fed up with terriens antics

GO HABS GO

• VancouverHab says:

Amen!

• Thomas Le Fan says:

That’s what I’ve been saying.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• Eddie says:

Not turning, he has always been that way. That’s what got him fired in Pittsburgh.

Therrien says nothing is more important than the team? Wrong.

Therrien behaves like HE is more important than the team.

Reminds me of my son’s coach. He didn’t choose a captain even though there were great leaders on the team.

When he was asked he said ” I’m the team captain”.

36. Danno says:

Bishop just got rooked by Green

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

37. HabFan in Edmonton says:

If the Leafs lose in Carolina tonight and Washington tomorrow night then it will be panic time in Toronto. And I thought bringing up Carter Ashton would fix things. I enjoy seeing the Leafs lose almost as much as I enjoy seeing the Habs win. It’s the little things in life that keep you going.

38. Plekasuares says:

It still was a dumb penalty. Doesn’t mean 12 minutes

39. habstrinifan says:

rhino514JANUARY 9, 2014 AT 5:14 PM:

“I don´t think MT is singling out PK. I think he benches all the young players in general at some point. Eller got benched quite a bit last year. Galchenyuk has also been benched on occasion. ”

OK this is my last post on this subject.

The point is not the benching in particular, although it was stupid and counterproductive in my opinion.

YES! Therrien benches players for weak play. He rightly talks about time in the press box anddifferent perspective etc.

And yes some of you may cite his comments re Eller when Eller made what some may call bulletin material re another team.. I think it was Ottawa.

But in absolutely no instance with any other player has Therrien (and Bergevin) come out and so vehemently and emphatically state or imply that their corrective actions are because that player didnt know the concept of TEAM. No other player. Every time Therrien talks about Subban it is to highlight how he has to correct or have corrected Subban’s perspective of TEAM…. maybe not in so many words but…

So step right up and tell me what he said re Pacioretty sword sheathing display. Maybe those posters who were magnanimously forgiving of a celebratory display by P.K, while needing to point out their fundamental aversion to such displays, can tell me that why, although I read almost every post in HIO, I didnt see those posters fee the urge to rush to their keyboard and exclaim, magnanimously mind you, how deep down they were ticked off by that sword sheathing.

Until I see solid examples of MT implying the same shortcomings in ANY other play in the same derisive manner….then I stand by characterization of many of your explanations as mealy-mouthed insincerity.

But to show you that I too have a compass of acceptable behaviour I am assuring you ALL that I do this with magnanimous goodwill.

• twilighthours says:

I love you man

• habcertain says:

Go get’em, I got tired, there is no debate, it is an issue that needs to resolved one way or another. The circus can’t continue.

• Eddie says:

Excellent post, Trini, as usual. But we’ve been disagreeing with the same 15% here for some time now.

Thankfully there are 85% who are sensible and rational.

We will never convert the others.

They are fence sitters. Waiting for Therrien to be fired and then they will jump on here to reclaim their never ending loyalty to Subban.

Mealy mouthed insincerity? Yup. Sounds about right.

• christophor says:

I think the biggest mistake is not seeing that there are rational people on both sides, generally, and irrational ones as well.

That aside, I tend to mostly agree with you.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

The only reason I’d bench or sit out a player is lack of effort. Period. Not for honest mistakes or in Subban’s situation … passion. Therrien is moron and proves it every chance he gets.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• Eddie says:

I was damn proud that he stood up to those thugs. They were trying to intimidate him and get him off his game. He did what he had to do. As Ian Cobb correctly stated earlier today.

That was penalty I would have used to rally the team around between periods. ”

“We kill the penalty and we bail Subban out of that situation, boys”

Then I turn to Subban and fire him up. ”
        Show the Flyers some of your magic PK”, I would have told him. Encourage him.

Kind of 180 degrees exact opposite what Therrien did.

40. shiram says:

Mark Messier is answering question on reddit, you can read it here :

41. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Dear HIO peeps. Since this forum is a second home for many of us — and principal residence for the rest — is there any way there could be game blogs for every game? No moderator necessary! Makes it league-wide, and allows the HIO community to have specific places to make their comments heard, vent their spleens, etc. call it SmackTalk, or Delay Of Game or something clever. Tonight’s CAR-TOR game is a perfect candidate. Lots of excrement to be hurled! I mean, insight tone shared. (When is the next BOS-TOR game, btw?)

42. CJ says:

Not that I enjoy comparing Montreal to Toronto, but the shots thus far in Carolina are 11-2 for the home team. Carolina is up 2-0 through 9 minutes. Might I remind you the Leafs have 2 regulation wins in their past 24 games.

Long way of saying, things could be worse. Much worse.

43. Dunboyne Mike says:

Front — Charteuse? Made by French monks, has herbs in it, 55proof. A bit sweet but nice. Just had a shot, off to watch Downton with Mrs Dunboyne.

Someone phone me — I don’t care what time — if PK’s traded or MT sacked.

Bonne nuit.

اچھی رات

44. punkster says:

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
    but…
    ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

45. Reflektor says:

Q for the literatI/O. Does Wanda’s not have two floors and more than two poles?

46. Bripro says:

The fans have to be patient with our GM.
    As Pierre Lebrun pointed out on TSN690 under an hour ago, the entire structure process and free-agency is changed since 2004. It’s far more difficult to pick up free agents than it was then. The only true way, now, to build a team is through the draft.

Chicago started earlier because of all the years of brutal teams they had to endure. Look at them now.

I’m not overly encouraged with our team’s chances at the a cup within the near future. The kids in the lower ranks have a ways to go, in general. There’s definitely promise there, but it might take a while. And since this is only MB’s second season, he has to be given the chance to show how shrewd and intelligent a GM he can be.

I agree that PK had to be called out for what he did. It was an immature and selfish reaction. But as I mentioned in this morning’s rant, half a period was too much.
    You sit a few extra shifts, you think about it, you go back out there and make amends. That’s it.

Up until now I’ve defended MT because he’s succeeded in taking an average team and playing beyond expectations. But last night he peeved me off.

That said, I still believe that he has the means, the crew and the team to get back on a 50% winning record for the end of the year.

Or worse, good luck against the west.

• Hobie Hansen says:

“But I think we’re kidding ourselves if we think that with a better coach, we’ll be able to beat the Pens in the division finals.

Or worse, good luck against the west.”

***

I agree 100% with your post sir. Maybe a guy like Guy Boucher could squeeze a couple more wins out of this team, maybe! People complain about Michel Therrien’s defensive style but isn’t Boucher known for being even more defensive? Didn’t TB fire him and now they’re doing great a year later?

Anyway, it sucks, but ya, we’re going to have to be very patient. The Habs were somewhat screwed after the previous lockout because management was led to believe the NHL was going to be a wide open game based purely on skill where small players could thrive. Unfortunately that didn’t happen and we’re still feeling the effects of it today and probably will for a few more seasons.

Marc Bergevin has said several times that he’s frustrated about being small but nobody is trading away power forwards. So we’re going to have to be patient and hope guys like Jacob De la Rose pan out for us. We’re going to have to keep our fingers crossed that Mike McCarron and Connor Crsip become NHLers, hopefully decent ones at that.

Bergevin just said it took Bryan Bickell until he turned 25-years-old to become a solid NHLer. McCarron is 18-years-old!

Unfortunately people, we’re probably waiting on players we haven’t even drafted yet for us to take the next step. The epidemic Bergevin was left with can only be resolved through the draft.

Maybe there’s a miracle trade out there or we can possibly get a couple big and talented UFAs but it has proven to be very tough or next to impossible since Bergevin arrived.

• CJ says:

I agree Hobie. Great post. Further, I agree with Bergevin regarding the process of building through the draft. We must remain patient. This will certainly be more difficult for some then others….

• The Jackal says:

Gotta agree 100% with you guys.
        This roster is mediocre on a good day and the team is being carried by Price, PK, Max, and to a lesser extent, Pleks and Markov.

Gally, Eller, Chucky, and Prust are great additions but we need to replace Bourque, Gionta, Diaz, Cube, Murray, and move Gorges into a lesser role. We rely too much on D-men and forwards whose best days are behind them or who are being asked to do too much.

We can make one or two moves to improve the team but the bulk of the work has to be made through the draft if management wants a long-term contender with a robust prospect pool and an elite level of depth.

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• CJ says:

It will be worth the wait. I’m cautiously optimistic that a number of our prospects can take that next step. This will allow the leadership team to gain leverage, by building a talent pool who represent either depth or trade bait.

47. Eddie says:

So 85% disagree with the benching? At least that means there’s some hope left for those of us who value respect and decency in a coach-player relationship.

I’m glad on the right side of history as well.

Can’t see myself explaining to my grandchildren how the “great” Habs coach had to bench that Subban player who turned out to be a flash in the pan!

That’s just not the way this is heading.

Hahaha!

• The Jackal says:

Just because they disagree with the benching does not mean that they disagree with the rationale of the move or with the idea itself. It could be that respondents disagree about the length of the benching, as that still satisfies one being in disagreement with the benching. Also, just because one disagrees with the benching does not mean that they don’t think PK made a mistake or that he is being disrespected. For example, I think PK made a mistake but personally I would not have benched him.

I think you’re reading too deeply into what MT does and there is definitely some bias in your claims about MT. To say that there is a lack of respect for PK and that he is being mistreated is a stretch, and that’s putting it mildly.

In all your criticisms of how MT handles PK, you never bring up how he stood up for PK getting called for weak penalties by the refs and how MT said he supported PK’s statements regarding the officiating a couple of games ago. There is never mention of when MT has praised PK and when someone brings it up, the praise is qualified and made to seem like a backhanded compliment. There is nothing that indicates that such a situation is even going on.

Maybe MT has not effusively praised PK, but when has he effusively praised Galchenyuk, or Eller, or any of the other young guys? He’s had good things to say about them at times but he does not go on about how talented they are ad nauseam, so why is the problem with PK and not another player? Earlier you mentioned that MT would not have benched a player for the same penalty PK was called for but again you are forgetting that MT has indeed punished other players in the same way. He has benched Galchenyuk, White, and Emelin, among many others, for making bad decisions and bad mistakes, so it does not follow that he has it out for PK or that he treats him differently.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

48. SlovakHab says:

No Bulldogs make AHL All Star team (only 1 created, as they play a Swedish team in an exhibition game).

Mike D, I vote for Wanda’s and its poles.

50. Plekasuares says:

Moulson would be nice. Trade the pick…he’s good. We do not need another McCaren like late round pick. We are not coming in The last 10 so the first round pick is slightly useless. Hey maybe we can trade less than a 1st rounder

• CJ says:

I would be very hesitant to move a first round pick for Moulon or any other rental player. There is just too much risk that he bolts to test free agency. If he really wants to be in Montreal, he will sign here. By not resigning Gionta, we would have the space available – cap hit and roster spot.

• Timo says:

Is he a writer for the Ottawa Sun?

• Mavid says:

nope…he writes for himself..Chris Stevenson writes for the sun

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• CJ says:

Chris Stevenson has credibility. Bruce Garioch, the other Ottawa Sun beat writer, is among the least informed journalists in the league. Liam is a great guy. He has forgotten more about the Canadiens then I would ever hope to know. Loves to golf. I’ve seen him on the practice green at Rideau View, where he is a member.

• Mavid says:

Your right about Bruce Garioch for me he is too much of a homer, Chris is actually a Habs fan, and then a Sens fan…I don’t know him personally but I know of him through a mutual friend..Same with Liam..He is a trivia expert like no others..people try to stump him with little success.. I respect what he has to say..I found his article very interesting

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• Bripro says:

Is he a writer, period?
        Whether you agree with him or not, he needs to take lessons in punctuation. That was a difficult read.
        I need to go lie down.

51. Marc10 says:

It was built by starving and freezing workers to line Pustin cronies’ pockets, but the white elephant ice rinks in Sochi do look cool.

52. Reflektor says:

FADE IN: the new GM in Buffalo comes in and cleans (shovels) house. Marc Bergevin wakes up tomorrow, takes a drive to the sanctuary in Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré, sees some kind of light, comes home and fires Therrien.

Make a pick:

- Marc Crawford
    - Guy Boucher
    - Ted Nolan

53. Plekasuares says:

Ryder has some goals this year. Idk why we let him go when he can SCORE….

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Because he’s a bum. Didn’t last year remind you of why we got rid of him in the first place. Besides he disappears in the playoffs.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• rljmartin says:

I do not have stats but I am sure they exist. You are right when you say players like Ryder seem to disappear when playing in Mtl and they get traded and fans say why did we ever trade that guy. Is it all about player management perhaps?

• Thomas Le Fan says:

It’s a well known fact that not everyone can succeed when playing under a microscope. But there it is.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• NoTinFoilCups says:

Disappear in the playoffs? Like he did with Boston? You’re the effing bum.

• GrosBill says:

True that. Also hard to call his performance out alone during the playoffs vs Sens, most Hab forwards did not show up. He did manage one which was one more than many others……….Would definitely prefer to have him over Briere, said it at the time and still do. He would have actually been slightly less money assuming he gets the same as what he got in NJ.

Fearless prediction: He finishes the year with a few more points than Briere :)

54. Reflektor says:

Wow, over 84% (including me) here agree that PK’s benching was wrong whilst at TSN almost 57% think MT was right. What kind of universe do TSN poll clickers live in!?

55. Plekasuares says:

We have another crappy GM…dd contract, subban contract, briere, Ryder should have stayed…argh

• The Jackal says:

Crappy GM or just crappy commentary? I vote for the latter.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Ryder? No. Bringing back old news is always a mistake. Therrien, Ryder? What’s Brisebois doing?

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• gauver says:

i’m as frustrated as the next Hab fan about the state of our team but i am not prepared to give up on the GM just yet. He says that he believes in building through the draft which I agree with. We have Bourque, Gionta, Desharnais, and Briere who are underperforming but we have no one quite ready to replace them. Galchenyuk and Gallagher are good players who are still improving. It will take time to see what this new organization can do. It just sucks that, after 20 years of futility, we have three or more years to wait before we become legit contenders (maybe). I must love (irrational) this team because cheering for these guys to win makes no sense at all.

56. Danno says:

When PK was interviewed just as he learned he was picked to go to Sochi, he said something that might have ticked off MT.

He said something to the effect that he really didn’t need motivation and knows what to do to prepare for big matches.

Maybe MT did not like what he said and found it to be a bit cocky or maybe he took it the wrong way and decided PK needed a tune up. And maybe the penalty gave him the excuse he was looking for to sit him down.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• The Jackal says:

What? Danno, these are unusual comments for you to make, you’re one of the more reasonable guys here and rarely jump the gun.
      It’s a big assumption to go from PK’s interview to MT being pissed off at what he said.
      In fact, it’s very specious to begin with to even consider that MT actually has it out for PK.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

57. habs001 says:

I am still not clear why posters have such great expectations of this team..If you look at the individual forward talent on these team it is very average…majority of the other teams can match it and many surpass it by a good margin…Moen,White,Prust and Parros do what they are required to do but provide micro minimal scoring…Gion,Borque and Briere look like they are done from there best days..based on experience they will score between 12-14 goals but provide no stress for the other teams D..Plecks will score his usual low to mid 20 goals…Eller is above average but looks like a 16-18 goals player…Maxpac looks like can score 30 plus regularly..DD probably a 40 point player…Gallagher Galchenyuk are still kids but have done well based on their experience but are not real impact players yet…Bournival is also young and it is too early to tell what he will be…the reality on him is that he got points early in the season but he did not have that many chances and he scored on most opportunities..Posters are fooling themselves thinking that this forward lineup is championship material..i dont think any team has sleepness nights about the Hab forwards…

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Not clear, 001?
      But it goes deeper than mere expectations.
      It’s longing.
      That’s what makes it possible to ignore one’s brain.

• SlovakHab says:

They all look like low scoring players because the freakin coach doesn’t have a system to break out the freakin zone. They just ice the goddamn puck the whole game, for Pete’s sake.

But yeah, let’s blame the players, when the coach has them sitting on 1-goal leads and just grind it out and ice the puck for whole periods.

And then let’s be surprised that these players don’t score in bunches. And after they leave the team, the production goes up.

I’m not saying that we are as much a juggernaut as Chicago or Pittsburgh, but come on. We have 25 shots on goal per game, what do you expect from those forwards – 20% shooting percentage?

Let’s get a coach that teaches how to break out of the zone and establish pressure in the zone with puck possession, and we’ll see the difference.

Toronto has scored more goals than Montreal for Pete’s sake, and their centers are Bozak, McClement and Kadri. Ya they do have a couple of high scoring wingers, but overall much less depth than us (Orr, FML, Smith, Smithson.. I mean, come on).

So why do we score less than them?

say thanks to our genius coach.

But hey, he speaks French.

• SlovakHab says:

By the way, I’m not saying Leafs are a better coached team. In my opinion, Carlyle is the worst in the league. They too should be doing much better than constantly getting outplayed every game and get 40 shots against on regular basis.

58. adadi says:

You know what guys. Let’s bench PK for the next game. That will teach him…heh. I hate to burst the bubbles of the posters with the rose coloured glasses but PK was a superstar before, a superstar during and he will be a superstar long after MT rides into the sunset. The fact that MB thinks that sitting MB has made him a better a player is nonsensical and unfortunately is showing MB for his lack of hockey and management sense. PK is a superstar regardless of MT’s ability or lack thereof. I only hope he tries the same stunt in Montreal in front of the real fans. I suspect that MT would be gone the next game.

• Reflektor says:

Yup, can see the crowd chanting PK! PK! PK! whilst he sat there, waiting. Would MT change his stupid mind though?

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Hell! Bench him for the rest of the year! That’ll work even better. Next year he’ll have his head on straight. Unfortunately, Therrien’s will still be someplace the sun don’t shine.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

59. Psycho29 says:

Just heard Pierre Maguire on 690…

‘PK is too important to this team to be taking a stupid penalty like last night..’

‘If I was coach I would have benched PK, maybe not for 10 minutes, but 2 or 3 shifts for sure’

‘While he was on the bench I would have let him know how I felt’

60. Danno says:

Gaston Therien is heaping praise on MT on Le 5a7. He states MT has cred because he took a last-place team and brought them to the playoffs and he’s going to do the same thing this year too.

First of all, it’s very presumptuous to say the Habs will make it to the playoffs.

And what if the Habs miss the playoffs by one point at the end of this season? This game that MT threw away in a tantrum will turn out to be the reason why.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

61. 4m3y2j says:

If MB was the type of GM who was really interested in a winning team
    he would get his head out of the sand and realize MT will not get this team to the promised land,we would never make it past 2nd round at best with this coach,.He is quite simply,not a winner,too emotional,a leader is calm,and always in control.MT is a game or 2 away from another press conference melt down,a la Pittsburgh.He has lost the room,did you see Giontas’ body language on the bench last night ?
    Agreed that we are missing a couple of key components to be a winner but a better coach would have better results with what we have.Of course ,because this is Montreal we will sit on our hands and let this implode all the way to a first round knockout and then MT will be let go over the summer.Get ahead of the game MB,WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE.On a lighter note,put that money you are making toi decent use and hire yourself a stylist,those riidiculous suits you wear look like they are from seam cheap ass schmutta shop on rue chanonelle;you look like Herb Tarlik fro WKRP -
    john slattery

• JUST ME says:

I do not think that MT`s mandate is to win the cup although everyone wants it . You have got to wake up. This team is far from being a cup contender and Therrien might not be there when it will but for now job one is building off ice an organization able to supply players through farm team . Meanwhile it is necessary to deal with veterans from years past and get other assets that will be added to a young and promissing core.

This takes time and this management has been there for a bit more than a year and has done better than expected. One must go one step at a time. If you see the Stanley cup in MTL then there is something you did not understand. I bet you didn`t even think thay would do that well so…patience…

• Habfan17 says:

Maybe MT needs to take up chewing ice behind the bench like Bowman did

Habfan17

62. The Jackal says:

On the bright side, the Leafs are 1 point ahead of Washington and can be bumped out of a playoff spot with a loss to Carolina and a Washington win tonight.

So much for that parade down Yonge street, and thank the hockey gods, cus I live on Yonge.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

63. rhino514 says:

I don´t think MT is singling out PK. I think he benches all the young players in general at some point. Eller got benched quite a bit last year. Galchenyuk has also been benched on occasion. Jacques Martin used to do the same thing, most coaches do it. Veterans get the benefit of the doubt and young players are taught a lesson, that´s the way it´s always been.
    I love PK, but he also does also seem to make more risky plays, resulting in giveaways, than other players, hence he is “reprimanded ” more often.
    I think it takes courage for a coach to be tough on a young star in this day and age when he knows he will probably be on the losing end if there is a clash between the two. It would be alot easier to just let PK do what he wants, but this wouldn´t be good for PK or the team.
    Btw Therrien explicitly added when asked about the olympians on the team that. although they had worked to help make PK a better player, PK had put the effort the last two years and deserved credit; so this stuff about MB and MT taking all of the credit for PK is wholly false.
    Therrien can be tough, but he is not Keenanesque in any regard.

Plus PK himself thanked Therrien and MB for helpìng him get better (which I thought was really classy)

• rhino514 says:

plus I think it was in the Carolina game that went to OT where MT publicly dissed the penalty call on PK saying it wasn´t his fault and supported him completely.
      I think MT dishes out his credit and his punishment on the whole with integrity.

• JF says:

Good post. Nice to read a reasonable assessment after all the semi-hysterical over-reaction we had earlier today. I don’t see the benching as a big deal and I think people are making mountains out of molehills in claiming there’s a problem between P.K. and Therrien or between P.K. and Bergevin. The Habs played a crappy game last night, P.K. took a bad penalty. Therrien let both the team and P.K. know what he thought. End of story.

64. Dunboyne Mike says:

One last test (Danno, if this one works, we conquer the world):

پابندی عائد کی پابندی عائد کر دی پابندی عائد پابندی لگا دی پابندی عائد پابندی عائد پابندی لگا دی

65. habcertain says:

Just to address the “great coaching successes of the past” comment concerning MT. Failed to take one of the best teams in the league past the second round due to coaching errors, was replaced the next year, and the same team won the Cup. Was the bounced the 1st go around in Montreal, and has never had an interview for any other coaching position. We all know this his last hurrah, unless of course Quebec gets a team and has the same coaching edict. Makes me think, I hope Quebec never gets a team, that will split the gene pool in half, that’s depressing.i

66. Lil Snapper says:

I can’t stand the fact that MB comes out and states that he is content with the roster, same crap again and again. We are soft and lack the drive to compete for 60 minutes.

67. naweed235 says:

A repost from earlier but worth it for your enjoyment in case you haven’t seen it:

68. Dunboyne Mike says:

@ Sprague

The way who tells it?!

Did you here the TSN commentary team discussing you and your brother last night?

69. Psycho29 says:

Hey have I missed anything here today??? What’s new?

• I remember when chips were a quarter but I don’t remember what I made for lunch.

I had a nice long chat with Coach Therrien today, he understands now, and the Habs come out flying while blanking the Hawks Saturday night.

2014, Old Man mentality went the day Crosby was drafted.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Summit Member 1.29.31.33

70. HabFab says:

Grade marks for second quarter of goaltenders and D;

71. Dunboyne Mike says:

Testing:

Danno کی ماں فوج کے جوتے پہنتے ہیں اور Timo فاسٹ فوڈ قیام پلاسٹک فرنیچر کے لئے ایک چیز ہے. Habs جاؤ.

(I feel like I’m in Bletchley Park!)

72. HabFab says:

I see there has been almost 1100 posts today, since 6 am this morning when I last looked in. Started reading but believe I captured the gist after the first 100 or so… if any gems of wisdom prior to that… will be my loss.