Habs given day off Thursday after loss in Philly

The Canadiens flew home after Wednesday night’s 3-1 loss to the Flyers in Philadelphia and were given the day off Thursday by coach Michel Therrien.

The Canadiens will practise next at 11 a.m. Friday in Brossard before facing the Stanley Cup-champion Chicago Blackhawks Saturday night at the Bell Centre (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

A day after being named to Team Canada for the Sochi Olympics, P.K. Subban found himself back in coach Michel Therrien’s doghouse. Subban took a roughing penalty during a scrum at the end of the second period and found himself benched for the first half of the third period.

“Very bad penalty,” Therrien told reporters in Philadelphia after the game. “The team concept will always prevail. We’ll never, never, never change that.”

(Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

Therrien was simply doing his job by benching Subban, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Flyers jump to early lead, hold on for win, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Habs didn’t execute, Therrien says, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

GM Bergevin says Habs are on right track, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Canadiens have rich history at Olympics, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Habs fly by night out of Philly, Canadiens.com

Words from the room (video), Canadiens.com

Red-hot Flyers could be darkhorse in the East, The Hockey News

Sabres name Tim Murray general manager, NHL.com

1,414 Comments

1. Danno says:

Therien puts a sign up in the room that says “no excuses” for losing games and yet he decided to do everything in his power make sure his team had no way of winning the game last night. Why? Who knows? But the fact remains, his reasons are just excuses. He’s showing an extremely poor example to everyone by breaking his own rules and that is totally inexcusable. His ego seems to be bigger than the team.

Now the players know Therien’s true colours. It’s do as I say, not as I do.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• Mattyleg says:

What’s the difference between a reason and an excuse?

• 24 Cups says:

Danno – The Habs played like shit last night. They were never really in the game except for a penalty kill turnover that Pleks converted nicely.

• Mattyleg says:

I agree, it was a good time to make a couple of points to the players.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

No one attempted an answer to my question last thread: what does it actually mean, the team “didn’t show up”? Or Cups, “the Habs played like shit”?

How does a team do that? Isn’t each player an autonomous agent, albeit submitting to a collective effort?

• habcertain says:

it is called lack of leadership at all levels, players/coaches/mgmt. It is understandable that single entities will have off games, but when it becomes a collective lack of effort; ding dong the witch is dead! or in this case the coach.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

habcertain, that makes total sense to me.
            However, I see it as just one possibility among potentially may others. (Just as PK’s back-side was stapled to the bench, mine has been to the fence, all day!)

• habcertain says:

Mike, I have no problem with a coach tearing into any player, but I think PK has earned a level of respect that MT could have waited till the game was over, called him into the office and tear him a new one. All the other players would have understood the message (the yelling from the principle’s office). But to shame him publicly is just plain dumb and serves no purpose other than to show the world MT is the boss. He makes it about himself and not the team, and that is what I hate about MT. It was a big day for PK with the Ole selection and I just think MT saw an opportunity to take him down a peg and launched out, which just happens to be the trend between them, he doesn’t like the guy, plain and simple.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

You add even more sense to your previous post.
            I’m just in denial! I don’t want there to be a rift between the coach and our first superstar in 20 years — maybe it won’t be true if I don’t believe it…

2. Dunboyne Mike says:

@Front!

“Habs 3 Hawks 2. PK with the winner and 1st Star.”

Of course, PK will have to score the winner during the second period, right?

3. Habfan10912 says:

I admit I’m not the smartest guy that visits here but I’m far from the dumbest as well. I’m still struggling with MT’s reaction last night. I keep asking myself, what the heck am I missing?

Is it possible that PK and MT had words in the locker room between periods? Was PK perhaps insubordinate to cause this reaction?

I can’t understand the decision based on a stupid 2 minute penalty. You want to keep him off the ice for a shift? OK. But half a period with your team 2 goals down?

My apologies to Matty and other more level headed fans here. I’m thinking I’m missing something because on its own merit it sure looks bad. Add to the mix a coach quitting on his team in the last minute and…….. well its been said.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Jim, it occurred to me also that among the countless possibilities that have not yet been considered here is that the benching was the result of something that happened between coach and player pre-game, on the plane, in the changing-room, or even between whistles. “Your next dum penalty gets you nailed to the bench,” for example.

But who knows?!

• The Jackal says:

Maybe he just decided to staple him to the bench because the team was playing so badly that it would not have made much of a difference. That would explain why he didn’t pull Budaj. The team played like crap last night.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

4. JUST ME says:

Yeah but while we debate on that P.K. Therrien benching losing frustrating thing…

Jimmy Page just turned 70 ! I am getting so old so suddenly…

5. habitforming10 says:

I do not understand this coach consistently choosing to single out PK for a total team loss, at best this is a pathetic demonstration in managing your players! Additionally, with half the season done, is MT trying to convince us that he has a handle on this team, while he is unable to come up with consistent line combinations. I find myself more often not watching a complete game because this team lack’s emotion and sadly to say, boring to watch. MT is not the coach for this team…or any other at the NHL level IMO. Get Mark Crawford in here now. While you’re at it MB, although every team would love to have size with scoring ability and toughness, can you at least diminish the number of under-sized players we have, which we lead the NHL with!

• GrosBill says:

No to Crawford. Even MT would have likely put Gretz, Yzerman or Sakic over Ray Bourque in an important shootout. One off the biggest brainfarts in TC history IMO. I cant remember what I did yesterday, but that will not be forgotten. In another 15 years I will likely still occasionally shake my head over that one.

6. formerly known as the hc says:

Demeaning comments by MB… Are we referring to yesterday’s presser where, in summation, MB praised PK for his growth as a player? Or, is there something I missed? So this and PK’s benching, I am reading, is inevitably chasing Price and PK out of town, with nothing in return. Am I getting the whole picture here?

7. Dunboyne Mike says:

Is anyone else’s page suddenly skidding around?

• Danno says:

Can’t say what I want to say about Michel Therien.

Maybe it’s to make me a better person?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• Dunboyne Mike says:

1. Paste it into Google Translate.

2. Translate into Urdu.

3. Paste the Urdu version here.

4. Those of us interested in your opinion (among whom I always number myself) can then reverse the process.

5. Then we laugh at HIO modding: MWAH HA HA HAAAAAAAAAA!

• Danno says:

Cool!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
          Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• Danno says:

میں Therien “کوئی بہانہ نہیں” کا کہنا ہے کہ کمرے میں ایک بڑی نشانی ڈال دیا سوچا تھا.

یہ نشانی ہیں ایک کھیل کو کھونے کے لئے کوئی بہانہ نہیں ہے . سب کو یاد دلانے کے لئے سمجھا جاتا ہے

Therien وہ اب بھی میرے ذہن میں شبہ ہے کہ وجوہات کی بنا پر گزشتہ رات ہی کھیل میں جیتنے کے لئے نہیں کرنا چاہتا تھا کا فیصلہ کیا ہے، لیکن حقیقت اس کے اسباب (وہ ہیں جو بھی) صرف “بہانے” ہیں، رہتا ہے.

Therien ان کے اپنے قوانین توڑنے کی طرف سے ٹیم ایک بہت غریب مثال کے طور پر دکھایا جا رہا ہے. ان کی انا کی ٹیم سے بھی بڑا ہو رہا ہے. اور یہ مکمل طور پر ناقابل معافی ہے.

__________________________

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
          Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

Presumably she is playing a Metallica song or something…

9. Danno says:

Why are my posts being blocked because HI/O is detecting spam?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

10. Habitoban says:

This quote from Casey Stengel came to mind today: “The secret of managing is to keep the guys who hate you away from the guys who are undecided.”

11. punkster says:

Is it safe to come back on here yet?

Well?

Is it safe?

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
    but…
    ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Nice clip Punkster. Is that a good or great movie? I love it – it left such a strong impression on me when it first came out — and the few times I’ve seen it since — that I can no longer impartially assess it. You clipped it: what do you think?

Wade Redden retired.

13. Caesar says:

Didn’t get a chance to read all 600+ comments below so sorry if I repeat what someone else says…
    But if Murray takes this penalty he gets a pat on the back and few beers bought for him. If The Cube takes the penalty he gets MT’s first star.
    Imagine benching someone for taking a run at your goalie. The biggest reason MT is still employed.

14. Buzz Lightbeer says:

I’m telling you,this team had a huge “we made the olympic team” party and was suffering from a nasty hangover.
    Maybe MT was a little crusty from not being invited.

15. Thomas Le Fan says:

For the love of everything that’s holy Mr. Bergevin, fire this numbskull before he screws up P.K. and the team for good.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Bonsoir M. le Fan,

Your first post today?

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Mais non, my first post on this thread but I’ve a one track mind. How about if Bergevin sits Therrien out for the next game to send HIM a message?

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Ha ha!
          Was just wondering, because it IS funny to imagine posters arriving at regular intervals for the next 50-odd hours — up til Mike B opens the Chicago Live Blog — and exploding AS THOUGH WITH THE FRESHEST OPINION onto the page on one side or the other of the right-to-bench/wrong-to-bench polarity! Maybe it’s only me who thinks that funny.

And maybe it’s because I simply can’t make up my mind about to which side I should devote my outrage!

• Habitant in Surrey says:

• Thomas Le Fan says:

I hated Therrien the first time around, was depressed at his second chance and nothing he’s done has changed my mind. This team wins, when it wins, despite his efforts. I’ve yet to see an occasion when I’ve thought, “Good move Mike!” He’s approaching Tremblay (spit) like incompetence as far as I’m concerned.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

16. mrhabby says:

Man I miss the KosTits brothers.

17. mrhabby says:

can we change the subject from the PK and Michel debate…

18. ClutchNGrab says:

From the new CBA:

Clubs shall endeavor to schedule no less than four (4) “days off” for Players per month (two at home and two on the road) during each full calendar month of the NHL Regular Season Schedule. Players shall be notified prior to the start of each month the days that have been designated as “days off,” and the Club’s schedule/calendar should not be altered absent compelling circumstances.

I wonder if today is one of those scheduled days. It sure doesn’t make any sense not to have them on the ice today.

19. Habitant in Surrey says:

…P.K.’s hole in His game at this time is the impulsive undisciplined penalty at crucial moments, as at end of a period and game

…down 3-1, or 3-0 whichever, an essential superstar like P.K. must know when to throw them, and when to fold ‘em

…take down the number of the Phlyer that face-washed You and pick Your spot and the ‘right time’

…Therrien ain’t My Guy as Coach, but He has had it with P.K. repeating the same mistake

…P.K. is the most gifted talent on this Team, but will be even more a force when the few remaining undisciplined rough-edges are smoothed over

…Therrien knows this, and is doing what He feels is necessary

…Habs’ Fans stoking racial embers unnecessarily at every turn and perceived sleight is doing P.K. and the Montreal Canadiens a disservice

• Timo says:

The critical moment in the game was before Habs went down 3-0. Not digging themselves into a 3 goal deficit was a critical thing to do. Flyers dominating and controlling the game while leading 3-1 is not a critical moment.

• jshell06 says:

I fail to see how that excuses PK’s mistake?

Cow-town Canadien

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Timo, despite Your incessant, unnecessary seeing the negative in every one and everything, I perceived a more intelligent appreciation of hockey sense from You

…You disappoint Me

…just what ??? can be more ‘critical’ than going into the third period down 3-0 and be short-handed ? …other than getting an avoidable penalty tied at end of game and going into over-time shorthanded ?

• Timo says:

That team yesterday wasn’t anywhere within a sniff of a chance to tie the game up.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…which I believe Therrien sensed Himself, and felt this was an opportunity to make a statement both to P.K. and the Team

• habcertain says:

then why does he choose to discipline the same player continually when others are committing the same, if not more egregious errors, and nothing happens. in a scrum everyone is punching/ pushing, the ref decides to call one guy out, fine. MT has a blind spot for PK and is not treating him the same as others, and don’t give me the “held to a higher standard because” crap. we are now in our second year of this, combined with the AC rhetoric, wake up and smell the bias.

• Eddie says:

He has had it with PK making the same mistakes!

Laughable.

PK and Price have carried this team all year.

The position to defend Therrien is absolutely laughable.

• The Jackal says:

Is it? MT may not be a great coach or anything, but he’s good enough for now.

On the other hand, what may actually be laughable is the MT criticisms and the PK Defense League. Why make PK look like some innocent kid being picked on? He’s a professional hockey player who can be criticized – when he makes mistakes and the team suffers, why is it wrong that the coach hold him accountable? Your best player has to be your best player, he can’t go around making bad decisions like that.

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

Eddie, relax, man.

• The Jackal says:

Exactly HiS!
      That’s my point but you made it way more succinctly.

It’s nuts how some people are so sensitive about PK.
      I’d say I’m one of PK’s biggest fans but there is no reason to get your knickers in a twist because of some criticisms about his game.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• ClutchNGrab says:

I posted that already, this is from La Gazette (11/25/2013). Acting like PK’s attitude is so different then any other targeted players doesn’t make sense.

And then Plekanec sharpened the needle just a little, elaborating on the “under the skin” theory:

“That’s (Crosby’s) weakness, everybody knows that,” Plekanec said. “When you get him to … start running around, slashing guys, cross-checking guys, jumping guys from behind, then you know he’s off his game. …

“I didn’t say anything to him, he was talking all the time. I was just listening.”

Through a tight grin: “I’m a good listener.

“You want to first shut (Crosby) down,” Plekanec added. “You can’t have too much respect for him, you’ve got to play in his face.”

• Thomas Le Fan says:

P.K. is fine, a face wash is fine too. Someone has to show some fight back on this team besides Prust. The referees are idiots who apparently can only see one player and Therrien has jumped the frackin’ shark as far as I’m concerned. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. This team will go nowhere with Michel Therrien and a lot farther with P.K. Subban than without him. Embarrassing your star strikes me as a Mario Tremblay (spit) move and look where that got us.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

20. theox_8 says:

Interesting thoughts regarding Eller lately . Maybe what we have been seeing is all we get ? Seems to me he has all the potential in the world , yet doesn’t always put it together on a consistent basis .

I’m curious to see with DD playing well and plecky being a very great 2 way center , if Eller feels like he will ways be the number 3 guy no matter what ? If indeed he does, will this play out like the Hodgson incident , where it was speculated he had asked for a trade , due to ice time and being the number 3 center . I’m not saying he is unhappy or anything like that , was just wondering if a scenario like that could take place, any thoughts ?

21. Dunboyne Mike says:

Greetings one and all. First chance to post today, although I checked ALN at about 2.30am your time — when there were 50-odd posts — and the temperature was already sky-high.

And it still is. Very sustained high temperature.

I don’t know what to think about MT-PK: not all the posters I depend on here for excellent reasoning are saying the same thing!

Which means that while some very smart and hockey-savvy people here will eventually be proved right about all this, there will also be some very smart and hockey-savvy people here whose emphatic assertions will turn out to have been incorrect.

I would be among those more likely to feel that we are like the six blind Indian men encountering an elephant for the first time (“Feels like a snake;” “No! A tree!” etc), because there is so much of the big picture to which we are not privy. Could there not be all manner of intense stuff going on between MT and PK at the moment, and what happened last night was only it first really prominent public manifestation?

But that’s just me, always hedging.

I do have a tangential question to do with last night’s game: what do we actually believe or mean when we say the team “didn’t show up”? If you think about it at all, it sounds so deliberate, orchestrated, a go-slow. But really, in what universe does that actually happen? Or, “didn’t show up” = everyone just happening to play a bad game on the same night. Really? A massive coincidence?

• jshell06 says:

I’ve been thinking about this team’s propensity to “not show up” for a long time. Seems like a running theme over the past season and a half – or maybe I’m imagining that?

Either way, it seems like this team fails to bring their A-game far too often. We’ve all seen how good they can be when they’re firing on all cylinders….. so there’s gotta be some x-factor that is missing when that doesn’t happen. Given MT’s reputation it would seem that he, if anyone, would be able to light a fire under the players’ collective butt. So I guess that’s not it…. I’m stumped.

Or maybe MT has gone SOFF and can no longer rage on his team enough for them to start caring and get angry……

Cow-town Canadien

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Is is possible to be content to play your B-game (or worse) because you will still collect an insane amount of money?

Do we conclude that we fans are delusional if we believe the players care even a fraction as much about the outcome of games and qualification for the playoffs and glory and posterity as we do?

If the above were true, it’s easier to imagine a team not “showing up”.

I just can’t get it to compute…..

• mrhabby says:

iam stumped to.

22. The Jackal says:

A lot of the usual vitriol against the coaching staff, typical post-lost stuff…
    But do the haters remember that they wanted the old coach fired as well, and the one before him, etc. etc.?

The same BS about firing the coach and the coach losing the room are always spouted after a bad stretch, typically by fans who are over-reacting and/or have it out for the coach. For the latter group, no matter what the coach does, he will always suck. For the former group, the coach gets a break after a win, most of the time.

But what is common with these outbursts is that the coach is always blamed for the team’s failures, and his successes are forgotten or labelled as either insignificant or occurring in spite of the coach himself. Of course, these criticisms tend to be largely unfounded and they tend to be unwarranted conclusions made from tidbits of information – what is said in the media and/or what we see in a game – then we fill in the blanks with our hot heads or biases and we come to the conclusion that the coach sucks.

In particular, the MT haters take a few bad translations, a little of what happens in a game, and some stuff from 24 CH, and they conclude that MT hates PK and that he has no idea how to coach. This is of course abstracted from the fact that MT has been very successful as an NHL coach and that he has gotten a lot out of a mediocre roster.

Not to say that MT can’t be criticized, but it’s important to keep his successes in mind too. It’s absurd to claim that MT is ruining PK or the team when evidence shows he has helped both. People point at MT benching PK last night and then lose their minds about it. It’s become kind of a HIO meme that PK is beyond reproach and that MT is always wrong.

I’m a big fan of PK, he is my favourite player, but no player is perfect. PK does make mistakes and he still takes some bad penalties at times. When you are as talented as PK is, you are expected to be a guy the team can lean on when it is needs it. But yesterday, PK let his frustrations get the better of him and he took a bad penalty when the team was building some momentum. We started the third period off trying to kill a PP rather than pressing forward. Now, that’s not the reason we lost, but the best player on the team can’t be making those mistakes. I love that PK plays with passion and pizzazz but he is still developing and learning, and part of that journey is the quest to eliminate those mistakes. For some reason, saying that PK is still learning is seen here as an insult, as if he has already achieved perfection.

Folks, PK does not need a defense committee covering for him and mommying him, so save it. He’s a big boy who knows how to take care of himself. He’s a professional who is aware of his shortcomings and he works hard to get better every day. To say that PK is still developing is a testament to his immense talent. Yes, he is an elite player already, but he has the potential and talent to be even better. He is still working to get the kinks out of his game and he is doing so admirably, he’s better and better each season, but let’s not pretend he is infallible.

We can’t say MT was a fool to bench him for a bit after taking such a bad penalty. PK should not have reacted as he did and that action did hurt the team at the time.
    ______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

23. Habsrule1 says:

What are the odds at that PK takes a similar penalty at a similar time in the game for the rest of the season?

Very, very low?

Well played, MT…well played.

Go Habs Go!!

• Cal says:

Congrats to MT. He threw away 2 points last night, but did he ever get his point across.

• Habsrule1 says:

Ya, true….it was a guaranteed win had PK been playing. Anyone could see that from the first 2 periods.

Wow.

Go Habs Go!!

• shiram says:

He chose to “impart” a lesson on PK and his players that game, with leaving Budaj out.
          He could have had the team try to get the 2 points but essentially forfeited that opportunity to get his message through.

Wether you agree he needed to send a message or not, or the way he could have done it, you can’t argue that he did all he could to get those points.

• Eddie says:

He quit on the team. Just say it.

• Mattyleg says:

As I said, Jacques Lemaire did the same thing.
            It was the perfect game to sit PK as well, because we were never going to win the game.
            MT knew that at the beginning of the third, as well as all of us.

• JUST ME says:

No way the Habs were getting those two points yesterday. Let`s be honest. P.k. should not have been benched more than any others but it was obvious from the start of the game that the Flyers wanted it more and deserved it 100 %.

24. CJ says:

Has there ever been a subject as divisive as our Montreal Canadiens?

The lightning rod that is cheering for the greatest professional hockey team in the world…..

25. DipsyDoodler says:

OK can I change the subject?

(I haven’t seen such a freakout over something so minor since the cafeteria where I work took its pie off the menu.)

(And yes, it was me who freaked out.)

Lars Eller.

Anyone else thinking that what we’re seeing is close to the finished product? Remember, he was drafted the same year as PK and Max (and Ryan McDonagh – there I said it.).

So is this it? 3rd line centre, defensively responsible, 16 goals/season? Or is the problem that he lost Gallagher? Earlier this season when he had the two Gallys he was on pace for a 25 goal 50 point season.

What do you think (I mean without turning it into a Therrien or DD hate fest)?

Good point.
      I agree that Therrien is doing the right thing with PK.
      Benching him was a good step in his character development.

• shiram says:

I think he could be traded to improve this team.
      Don’t get me wrong, I’ve always been behind him and supported him when others were knocking him, but realistically he is not replacing either of our top 6 center, and soon Chucky will need a C spot.
      I’d rather they move another center, but I don’t see that happening.
      He might blossom elsewhere, but here in a defense first, grinding system, I don’t think we see more from him than about 45 points season, where he will have hot and cold streaks.

Had a long answer(kind of) typed up, but then realized I sounded like Darren Dreger.

Short answer: Needs a season where he gets 2nd line center minutes and linemates at minimum for us to see his true value. But do have some reservations/concerns.

• GrimJim says:

I think there is still room for Eller to grow, just like PK and McDon. I think he will eventually be Pleks 2.0 but even if he just maintains where he is, I’ll be part of the Habs core.

• Timo says:

I think it’s not that bad. Sure, third center. Why not.

I still maintain that Habs should have gotten a lot more for Halak and got fleeced in that trade.

Another thing could be that Eller loves playing for Therrien as much as Roy loved playing for Trembley. Perhaps he’d be more better under an actual NHL coach.

• bwoar says:

“3rd line centre, defensively responsible, 16 goals/season?”

Pretty much. Possibly 20g a season but I think we’ve seen the better part of his development. One place where Therrien’s done a good job, actually.

“thoroughbred”

• Kooch7800 says:

I would trade Eller if you got something right back. I have suggested before Eller, 1st and another roster player for Kane. I think Eller could be a 45 to 50 point guy.

I do like that he is playing more physical this year as well

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• B says:

Eller started the season with 6 points in his 1st 3 games and sat near the top of the NHL scorers. Eller now has 6 points in his last 20 games and sits 176th in scoring (253rd in ppg). The drop off is of course purely due to Therrien?

–Go Habs Go!–

• Forum Dog says:

Confidence is huge, especially for young offensive players. If you’re scared to make a mistake because you might lose your spot, you won’t take any chances. Not saying its the coach, and I know they want to preach a defensive or “grinding” style of play. Just saying that players should play to their strengths and not try (or be forced) to be something they’re not. Seems to me that Eller is playing too cautiously most of the time. Why that is, I don’t know.

• Forum Dog says:

I think he has room to grow but, I’ll be honest, I have not liked some of his decision making recently. He’s got all the tools, and at times he looks all world, but he makes some curious choices, especially in defensive coverage.

I think if he figures it out, and if (without turning it into a Therrien hate fest) his coaches find a way to use him more often and in better situations (i.e. on the PP or with more skilled mates), he has another level. Problem is, if they don’t invest the minutes in him, he will become just another 25 year old player who can play 15 minutes. Which would be too bad because when he is given some linemates and some top-flight ice time, he is awesome to watch.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

JOHN LECLAIR
      JOHN LECLAIR
      JOHN LECLAIR

And — what kind of pie?

26. Danno says:

Given the day off after such a dismal display of ineptitude?

What happened to NO EXCUSES?

At least Therien could have taken the team bowling…

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

27. boing007 says:

Therrien: “The team concept will always prevail. We’ll never, never, never change that.”
    Does that mean more grinding and blocking more shots than shooting pucks at the other team’s net? If it does, then pfttt! to you, MT.

Richard R

28. montreal ace says:

The Canadiens make money when they reach the playoffs, but people tend to forget about the workers that do also. Tourists generate much revenue to hotels and restaurants, that are helped when the Habs are in the playoffs. I fully expect that when the season starts players know this fact and play accordingly. I do not think it is unreasonable for players to put the interests of the fans ahead of their own. I also don’t think that missing a few shifts is the end of the world, for any player on the team, that does not think of the fans first.

29. rhino514 says:

Disagree with many of the comments below. It´s clear many on here don´t like Therrien, but he has NOT lost the team and that much is evident.

30. Habsrule1 says:

Can you imagine if any player from the Habs read this site today.

They would think that many posters have serious issues.

It would be a little embarrassing for the Gazette….or maybe just for the posters…??

Go Habs Go!!

• shiram says:

You feel embarrassed?
      I sure as hell don’t.

• Timo says:

Well… he is right. We do have at least one issue. In some shape or form we all want this goddamn pathetic team to win the cup. It is an issue because it is very unlikely to happen.

• Eddie says:

Would people be freaking out if the best player on the team was treated with some respect? Nope.

Would people be freaking out if Therrien had not quit on his team by not even pulling the goalie? Nope.

When the best player is disrespected publicly and the coach quits on his team, harsh reaction from fans is justified.

Even Boone and Ian Cobb are upset. Very upset. Ian Cobb called for Therrien’s dismissal.

Do they have serious problems too? Those two respected leaders of this site?

• shiram says:

The context is what gets posted on here.
          I won’t feel embarrassed for the actions of others.

• Mattyleg says:

1) Price is treated with plenty of respect.

b) His team quit on him before he quit on them. Jacques Lemaire did the same thing.

Boone is always upset.
          And my respect for him has diminished immesurably since he started moaning all the time.

31. Mattyleg says:

Hey, I just looked at the standings.

We’re in 3rd, 3 points off the division lead, and 7 points ahead of Detroit in 4th.

Things ain’t so bad, people!

32. Lil Snapper says:

Welcome to Les Canadiens, where when you and your team play like total ass one night you get the next day off from practice….

• shiram says:

That’s a cba related issue.
      They have to give the players 4 days off per month, and have to have them planned before months start.
      So today was already planned off, nothing they could do about it.

• Habsrule1 says:

It seems this needs repeating. The CBA forces days off for players, and this one was already scheduled.

Not to mention that they are better off practicing tomorrow & Saturday than today.

Or they could just practice from the moment they lose until the moment the next game starts.

Go Habs Go!!

• GrimJim says:

Add to this the fact that the CBA says these scheduled days off have to be decided on and communicated to the players prior to the start of the month. And travel days cannot be used as days off.

33. rhino514 says:

I think its an unduly harsh look at the coach, though I have to admit brings up many interesting points.

I personally would like to see the EGG line again. Desharnais really seems to thrive with Max Pac, so Gallagher is not the key to that line; there are other guys who could be stuck there. If DD actually cannot play well unless he is playing with the TWO best wingers on the team, then IMO he should not be playing and chucky should probably already be at centre. But I think he would be ok as long as he has Pacioretty, and I think Eller and Gallagher would be xplosive offensively if paired together with Galchenyuk.
    Also, at this point, it does seem Emelin is playing his worst hockey alongside Markov, and Markov has also deteriorated. He was doing fine with Gorges.

34. Mattyleg says:

I wonder how many Colorado fans are in a lather over Patrick Roy’s dressing-down of Giguere, then not even playing him to allow him to respond to his coach’s public humiliation.

• shiram says:

go check their boards, no sense posting that here.

C’mon Shiram.
        It’s a parallel discussion.

• shiram says:

Go check their boards, I’m sure you’d be surprised.

Fans are fans, they act in similar manners as HIO posters.
          It’s not something unique to Montreal.

• DipsyDoodler says:

It’s a trick question isn’t it? There is no Colorado fans hockey site.

• shiram says:

Well that’s another thing, their fanbase is much smaller, so the noise they make is smaller.
            But if you listen attentively and you know where to point your ears, well you can hear the bitching from Colorado.
            At least those guys can buy legal weed now…

• Mattyleg says:

I can’t be bothered, but although I’m sure that both of the posters on the Colorado boards are upset about this, I’m sure that they are in less of a tizzy than our chaps.

• shiram says:

If you can’t be bothered to check it, than you should have not posted such a baited comment.
            meaningless junk

Shiram!!
            Lighten up, mate!

I was making the comment not really about Colorado, but about how over-the-top Roy acted, compared to what Therrien did, and inferring that if Roy had done something like that in Montreal, the top would have blown off Mount Royal.

It was light-hearted.

• shiram says:

Higher up, you say you lost respect for Boone.
            Well I lost respect for you with your petulant childish attitude today.

Shiram.

What has been petulant or childish about me today?

I think I’ve expressed my opinions pretty clearly, saying that I don’t think that Therrien did as badly as a lot of people think, and I’ve suggested people take a breath and relax a bit.

And I joked around a bit.

I wasn’t baiting you; I like you too much to do that, and if I insulted you somehow, I’m sorry.

• twilighthours says:

Now there`s a straw man :)

35. stevieray says:

A day off ???…maybe MT needs to take a page outta Eakins book ….8 am practice the next day :)

36. montreal ace says:

One of the last things I want to hear after a game, is that Subban got hurt after a stupid scrum he started, and will miss a month.

37. Plekasuares says:

The thing that was a huge insult to the players was when MT didn’t pull the goalie!

38. Propwash says:

Lots of hockey left to be played, and I bet the Habs are going to win and lose games.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

39. shiram says:

Preachy-ness is becoming over-bearing here.

40. mrhabby says:

MAB can fix all of these issues in Hab land.

Wade Redden has announced his retirement after 14 seasons. His total earnings for that period were 72M. And we bitch about Bouillon and Murray.

42. Strummer says:

Habs are going to fire Therrien.
    Just not today.
    That’s how 99% of coaches leave their jobs.

It could be that PK’s benching was a result of more than just the incident after the whistle at the end of the second period. Maybe that was the “straw that broke the camel’s back” for Therrien.

There’s a lot that goes on behind the scenes that we will never see. And don’t believe everything you see on the heavily orchestrated 24CH.

In the end PK will be around long after Therrien.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

43. CranbrookEd says:

An excellent read: http://habsloyalist.blogspot.ca/2014/01/a-therrien-top-ten.html

CranbrookEd
    Mr. Beliveau: “Pure Pak mais oui”! . . .

44. montreal ace says:

I have been checking out the Reuters and the AP World news services, and can’t find a thing on PK and MT. I think in soap opera themes, HBO has nothing on HIO in terms of drama. I started telling a few friends that if they want some Hockey Insider Overactions, I know a place thats good for a few chuckles, mixed in with interesting story lines.

45. mrhabby says:

For me…Price is the Habs best player this year no question..

Liam Maguire’s take on last nights happenings:

Re PK Subban; #Habs. He had a bad giveaway earlier in the game carrying the puck in his own end. He takes a penalty for punching at the end of a scrum. People talk about his benching. He benched himself for 2min to start the third. You’re all so busy fawning over him. From a coaching & team perspective I have no problem with what MT did.
    He may not be the right coach for MTL in fact barring a 2nd rd appearance or better I think he’ll be shuffled off at the end of this season. But in a game where your listless passion less team had 15 shots after two periods with little interest in battling down low to creat anything, you don’t let your ‘star’ run carte blanche.

I’d like anybody who played competitive hockey beyond the age of 12 or who coached in a competitive environment to tell me what MT did was wrong.

• twilighthours says:

Who is Liam Maguire?

• SmartDog says:

> I’d like anybody who played competitive hockey beyond the age of >12 or who coached in a competitive environment to tell me what MT >did was wrong.

Where does the line form?
      At the front of it put Knuckles Nilan, who says that what PK did was a reaction to getting whacked in the head and was the kind of show of emotion the team needed.

Therrien’s losing it. He’ll probably last to the end of the year, but barring a big playoff run which I’d bet a lot of money against, that’s it for him.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• bwoar says:

Said it before, Nilan is an idiot. The team needed a goal, not a “show of emotion” that results in our best player taking a 2 minute timeout.

Actually, 2 minute timeouts are also what my tiny little kids get for unwarranted displays of emotion.

“thoroughbred”

• Ron says:

You fathered kids..ewww :D

• Habsrule1 says:

Nilan is an idiot? Wow….some things never cease to amaze me here.

Go Habs Go!!

• bwoar says:

Yes, it’s simply amazing when someone doesn’t share a majority opinion. Nearly unbelievable. How does it happen? I blame bad genetics, but Aunty Punxatawny claims it’s God’s Plan.

“thoroughbred”

• Habsrule1 says:

Look bwoar. There’s a difference between saying someone has opinions you don’t agree with and saying someone is an idiot. If you’re comfortable calling Chris Nilan an idiot, when in all likelihood you never met him (I have), you keep on doing that.

Cheers.

Go Habs Go!!

• mrhabby says:

does he play in a band?

• DeadEnd says:

All I ever needed to know about Liam Maguire came 2 games into PK’s career: He declared on Ottawa radio that, with PK’s arrival, the team could now finally get rid of that useless Markov.

He was an idiot then and he is an idiot now. I don’t care how many stats he has memorized, doesn’t mean he know’s the game.

• Habsrule1 says:

He’s actually very intelligent, but he may have made a mistake on Markov, so I guess he deserves to be shunned for the rest of his life.

I’m sure you’ve never made a mistake in your life. I can’t believe what I read on this site sometimes.

How can this many people have such huge issues with other people because they:

a) are proven to be wrong about something?
        or
        b) have a different opinion than you do?

And yes, I have been a little hard on people that believe that what MT did was the worst thing ever done by a coach, but I don’t think you’re idiots or don’t have other smart opinions to offer. I just think you are over-reacting to this.

Go Habs Go!!

• DeadEnd says:

Sorry, I forgot to add context: he is a hockey idiot who believes himself to be an integral part of the Montreal Canadiens. I can’t speak of the man personally as I don’t know him.

I hear his bar sucks, though.

And I am not making any comment or reference on MT’s ability as an NHL coach, as I have zero hockey coaching experience at any level. As a fan and a person, I do question some of the comments he has made publicly and have a sick feeling that this is part of some sort of “management strategy” during negotiations. Since I do have some personal experience in that, I would comment that it is a risky thing to do to alienate your best people for a short to mid-term gain. If this is a negotiation tactic, PK and other players (both currently on the team and elsewhere, as well as their agents) will be taking note.

• Habsrule1 says:

Just say you disagree with many of his opinions. I’ve heard him on the radio and thought he said many intelligent things.

I’ve only been to his pub once. It was ok. The food was a bit expensive, if I remember correctly.

Go Habs Go!!

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…agree with You Gerald

…Therrien knows this, and is doing what He feels is necessary

47. durocher says:

Erat a healthy scratch for Washington tonight. Would you trade either Briere or Bourque for him?

48. La Duke 16 says:

I can’t wait to see what we can get for Subban in a trade…….

Should be an exciting future!

49. zephyr says:

how many people would rather have seen mario tremblay get fired rather than trading patrick roy? mt better not screw up subban. coaching should mean helping individuals to succeed. I don’t think mt can suppress his own ego to achieve that. I also don’t like the coach’s strategies for the game. this is not a grinding team. why don’t we put more pressure on the other team’s dmen? philly has a lousy defense & we gave them oodles of time to make plays. u defeat a good qb in football by pressuring him. same for hockey & esp for dmen. we need to create more pressure. these games are becoming frustrating to watch. I missed the benching because I changed the channel after it was 3-0. the fla. 2-1 win was a lousy game too. this team is underachieving big time.

• durocher says:

I’d rather have Roy over Tremblay after that Wings game, and I’d rather Roy have over MT as our head coach.

The Avs players would go through a wall for Roy, same can’t be said for the Habs players and MT

• CHasman says:

I’m with you on both counts. The Patrick Roy fiasco was one of the stupidest things ever done and I hope we don’t have a Subban fiasco to mirror that one.

50. SmartDog says:

Eric Engels is bang on about Therrien’s reactions show his insecurity. He’s a control freak who likes to point fingers and blame everyone but himself. Trying to be the “nice guy” is fighting his own nature. He’s losing the team and can’t see it so he’s just frustrated. It’s the beginning of the end for this guy. Thank goodness. I don’t care about his record, the team’s not gonna be strong under this guy going forward.

FROM ENGEL’s LATEST:
    To be shown up by their coach doesn’t reinforce the team concept Therrien’s so infatuated with. In fact, it was pretty much the most selfish action taken by any member of the team, all season! All criticism aside, the troubling truth is that if Therrien hadn’t lost his team before last night, he took one step further in that direction with the decisions he made.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• D Mex says:

Beginning of the end for Therrien – could be.
      I have no problem stating I wasn’t thrilled with the hiring, but could see there were limited options, so took heart from the fact it was a bridge deal to get us thru the short-term.
      I rationalize Gionta and Markov, and hopefully Desharnais, in much the same way these days.

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

51. Chuck says:

I’m going to go against the grain on HI/O and agree with Therrien on this one. P.K. is the second most-important player on the team, and will be for many years to come. Part of being one of the big fish in the pond is leadership and awareness. Down 2 goals after the second period, he put the Habs shorthanded by taking a foolish penalty. Parros and Prust were in the lineup; let them take care of the rough stuff while PK worries about generating the 2 goals.

In the same game Therrien refuses to pull Budaj to send another message: “If you can’t be bothered to play for 58 minutes, why should you get help with the last 2.” Some say the coach’s job is to try to win every game. Instead, look at his job as being to win as many games as possible. By laying down the hammer on a team-wide crappy effort he may be sacrificing a game, but if it gets them more wins in the long run it’s worth it.

If he was really trying to be a jerk he would have bag skated them today. Instead, he gives them a day off to reflect on their poor performance and to look forward to what they need to do to compete with the Stanley Cup champs. I’ll be surprised if we see another lacklustre effort on Saturday.

• Kooch7800 says:

Parros wasn’t in the line up. MT dressed 7 D

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Chuck says:

I stand corrected; I saw him skating in the warm-up and assumed that he was dressed for the game.

It doesn’t change the fact that it was a pointless penalty at a crucial time in the game.

• Habsrule1 says:

Well said Chuck.

I actually didn’t like the benching. I think the right move would have been to spin it into a positive by pointing out to the team that PK was the only player to show emotion & passion.

That said, if Therrien was thinking how you just described, I don’t think he was completely wrong. I just would have went about it differently. That being said, the uproar here and by Boone & Engles, is laughable to me.

Go Habs Go!!

• habcertain says:

interesting concept, Therrien is willing to lose the game by not trying to pull the goalie for an extra attacker, just to send a message to the players. if we wants to send messages, join the post office.

• Chuck says:

Coaches send messages all the time, like changing a goalie to wake up his team. It was Price’s night off, so that option’s not available unless it’s an emergency. You think that that noticed when no one was being called to jump on the ice as the 6th skater? You bet they did.

• habcertain says:

I’m sure they noticed, then scratched their head. I understand sending messages but if there was an opportunity to try and win a game you take a pass to send a message, can’t wait for the dressing room, oh yeah, no one is listening there. No bag skate today, you think by not pulling a goalie, that sent the most effective message. MT is in over his head, deja vu encore.

• Mattyleg says:

As I said earlier, a certain Jacques Lemaire did the exact same thing in a one-goal game where the Devils barely showed up.

How many Rings does he have again…?

• boing007 says:

Or Western Union, for that matter.

Richard R

• Ian Cobb says:

CHUCK, good post. Hope it is as easy as that my friend. But there are a few holes to fill yet on this team to put us with the best teams in the league. Coaches will do what they do to send a message, hope it does not cause more problems.

• tothemaxx says:

Totally agree. Well said.

Excellent post.

Put it better than I was able to.

52. seegs44 says:

That game last night was absolutely brutal. When they don’t show up they sure don’t show up.
    First of all, let’s be honest. They are not as good of a team as the standings suggest. Coming in to the year I would have been happy if they would of been fighting for a playoff spot at the end of the year. That being said, I don’t understand why Therrien is screwing with the team so much and Bergivin is watching it happen. P.K definitely took a stupid penalty and I can’t say I totally agree with the benching but if he’s going to be strict with some players he should be with all. It has to be frustrating in the dressing room having to watch some of your teammates being able to play like crap but never lose any games or shifts even for that matter. While no one player should be an exception there is no doubt that subban is our best player and he has to be thinking to hell with this team and walk the first chance he gets. That would be devastating if that were to happen after watching it happen to the best goalie ever. Is Therrien that good of a coach that he’s irreplaceable? I don’t think so. I’ve never seen a coach mess with the lines so much. How is anyone suppose to build chemistry when you’re on a different line every game. It’s ridiculous. I am a big Pacioretty fan, but he is plain awful some nights and he never sits a shift. At least if he’s not scoring maybe he should throw a hit every once and awhile. He has the size to do it but most times it’s a lazy skate by.
    Before this team totally divides in the dressing room, I hope that MB is smart enough to bench Therrien ….. Forever

• Ian Cobb says:

BURLY– I think the pope drank all those grapes, he forgot one! DON!

• CHasman says:

Sometimes I want to slap Subban up the side of the head. He has an “I don’t take any crap” attitude that hurts him sometimes. Still, without him the team would be so much worse than we are now. No Subban, no Price, no team.
      Why is it that we give the other team the puck so often when we’re on the PP? There were three times that stand out from last night. On the PP in their zone with possession, no pressure ono the team and we just coughed up the puck. (Markov, Pacioretty ). Man that hurts the team and the power play.
      Speaking of slapping people up the side of the head. The EGG line, awesome, broken up. Bournival joins Pleks and Gionta and they become the top line, broken up. MT for coach of the year!

I have heard through the grapevine that Pope Francis will be righting the wrong done to PK Subban last night. It is rumoured that he will be giving PK the 2nd highest honour bestowed upon someone from the Papal.

PK will be receiving the Order of the Golden Spur, no word yet though whether or not MT will be helping deliver this award.

54. Mattyleg says:

What’s got lost in this “Joni Hates Chachi” crush is how crappy a lot of Habs played last night.

One particular moment sticks out in my mind, and it is something that gives lots of perspective to criticisms of coaching:

On the Flyers’ third goal, Bournival totally gives up on checking Meszaros along the boards.

Bournival. The Poor And Maligned Bournival.
    This is the guy who certain posters want in the top-6.
    This is the guy who many feel has been held back and not given enough ice-time or responsibility.
    This is the guy who should have been taking the bull by the horns in his increased role, and given Gally-like grit and determination every shift to prove that he deserves to be there.

That lacksadaisical play makes me begin to seriously wonder if he has really been so badly mis-coached by Therrien after all.

55. bwoar says:

I just read that I was outed as not being a Habs fan. You guys make me laugh.

“thoroughbred”

56. Habcouver says:

I’m still on the bandwagon.

However a thought came to me: if the Habs were playing at a close level to say Chicago, St. Louis or Pittsburgh, I would have no problem with MT pulling his Scotty Bowman impression. I would support his apparent ill treatment toward PK because his “team first” principle is effective. I would probably be wearing my 51DD jersey down Pacific and Griffiths Blvd on a regular basis!

However the Habs are not at that level and will not be until they secure their foundation: PK. If PK cannot tolerate MT, PK must pull a Sid Crosby to rid MT of the Habs, or part ways. I prefer the former.

Waiting patiently for #25

• CH Marshall says:

Exactly. We’re winning games we don’t deserve to win. Or we win in spite of MT (that’s my opinion of cpurse).

• bwoar says:

I try to remember the old saw “you are what your record says you are” at times like this. I think our record hides a couple things, but every team with a winning record has some blemishes hidden in the standings.

There are maybe 4 powerhouse teams in the league, then a “top” tier that we may or may not be part of (but ARE, according to our record – say 55+ points), then the large also-rans tier, who we share some traits with, but have a better record than (say 40+ points), then the bloody awful clubs below that.

Seeing the Habs tied 10th in league, with a tie-breaker over Vancouver, doesn’t really cause alarm or generate excitement. I know there’s a big hump to get over before we can be in that ‘elite’ group, but considering the year as a whole it’s just fine for us to be where we are at.

Are things deteriorating? Not really. Let’s lose 4-5 in a row before we go there. Similarly, a 4-5 game win streak and the coach-bashing will disappear too. Right now we’re in a good spot and there’s no cause for a meltdown.

“thoroughbred”

• habcertain says:

I think this is why there is no ink on a contract, PK needs to look at all options and decide if he wants to move forward with Bozo Le Clown, or see if MB is going to can him. I’m starting to waiver on MB now, thought he was a player’s guy, doesn’t sound like it now.

• Habcouver says:

I agree with you, habcertain. I had a lot of faith in MB and still do. It’s easy to get swayed by media and how our HIO family fuels the topic.

Waiting patiently for #25

57. Mattyleg says:

Lots of overreacting on here, lots of thin skin, and people being over-protective of PK against Big Bad Michel.

No coach is going to make everyone on here happy.
    Especially not Timo.

My advice is to calm down and just watch the games.

58. Habsrule1 says:

I know some of you hope the Habs miss the playoffs so there is a chance Therrien is fired, but I really hope they figure this out and get back on track. The same people who say Therrien is terrible because they faulter at this point of the season are the same ones who would never give him a lick of credit for making an average team way above average so far for most of the time he has coached.

I really don’t care who coaches the team. I care about results. I think Therrien has done a pretty good job with a decent team. I think Bergevin needs to try to make some moves to improve the team and I also think we need to be patient. with our core players becoming better and when some of our D-Men in Hamilton get here and improve, this should be a much better than average team. Whether or not Therrien is here at that point, I don’t really care. The thought of Boucher as coach is an interesting one, even though some have probably given up on him too, since he was fired in his 3rd year in TB.

Go Habs Go!!

59. Sportfan says:

Timo when MB and MT were hired who were you hoping for? Not Pierre Mcguire right?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

60. zip by says:

I would like to point out to MT that when he benched PK – I flipped the channel and did NOT return. I would tell him to try and sell that to the broadcasters and advertisers. I would cc to Molson.

nuff said

• CH Marshall says:

You can send Molson this message on twitter

• Habsrule1 says:

That’s the funniest thing I ever heard.

Most fans watch their teams as opposed to taking hissy fits cause the coach does something they disagree with.

Go Habs Go!!

• Luke says:

Ad revenue and internet hits driving line-up choices. It’s a novel approach, I’ll admit that.

Galchenyuk and Eller are trending well with the 24-35 year old males, Briere is hot right now with the 40-55 year old Soccer Mom’s, PK’s busting through with the Western Canadian Stoner set. But we need to get more traction with the baby boomer males… play Gionta on the point.

61. zephyr says:

I have no confidence in mt any more. our habs are being out-coached. our pp is predictable & we’re not nearly as aggressive as we should be forechecking. he’s said too many stupid things for a coach. even maxpac has taken some shots at mt. he needs to go. this team is underachieving.

62. CJ says:

Well, the Habs might have the day off but I’m up to my elbows parenting two little boys. Nothing in my life could have prepared me for what it takes to watch a little boy three and a half years old and a little brother 11 months. I certainly am gaining an appreciation for my beautiful wife, and what she has done, by the minute.

I’m trying hard to take the day off from the Canadiens and have spent what time I have available reviewing scouting reports. I’m very pleased to see that Tim Bozon has bounced back following a difficult start to the season. Add Brady Vail to this same list of progressive improvement. I’m going to try and catch Martin Reway in the next week and make the drive to Brossard for a practice. I think the oldest boy will enjoy both experiences. He loves sporting events and does very well at the games.

I hope you all have a great day!

Good work CJ!
      There’s nothing better than kids.

• Bripro says:

YOUNG kids.
        Let’s be clear here….. young kids.
        You know. The type who haven’t developed attitudes.

• Mattyleg says:

My 2.5 year-old already has an attitude.
          It’s a window into a not-much-looked-forward-to future.

• Gerry H says:

It’s actually pretty cool, Matty. As they reach their tweens and teens, your IQ will mysteriously plummet. Then, just as suddenly, as they emerge from school, start working and figuring out relationships, you’ll find your IQ rising again.

I wouldn’t have believed it either, but that’s the story (as told by my now twenty-something pair of offspring).

• Mattyleg says:

I think it was Mark Twain who said something like “When I was 18, I couldn’t believe how stupid my father was, but when we met again when I was 25, I was amazed by how much he’d learned in 7 years.”

• boing007 says:

That Twain quote was laugh out loud funny, Mattyleg.

Richard R

• shiram says:

My 4 year old niece would steal beers and then get angry when we’d try to take it away from her.
          She’s better now, but they can have attitudes at very young age too!

• Ian Cobb says:

Matty, your right! I’m still a kid!

• Habcouver says:

Been there, done it CJ.
      Nothing is more gratifying than what you’re doing.

Waiting patiently for #25

I had a great 15min. chat with PK’s coach of 5 years in Belleville, half an hour ago.

I first asked him if he happened to see the play behind Cary Price as PK was being roughed up with no call. Scrum ensues, and PK popped the guy one, getting the only penalty on the play. Then was stapled to the bench for taking a selfish penalty. He did not see the Hab’s game, the Belleville Bulls team had played as well last night.

So I asked him how he managed PK so well in Belleville for 5 years. The 1st thing he said to me was that he was a high strung player that needed little motivation to excel. All he needed was coaching and knowledge of the game, and he is always willing to put in the work effort to be better.
    He said that PK did a fantastic job for him in Belleville. He said that PK would go out and win games with pure skill and effort. But he also said PK lost a few on his own as well.

He also told me that he is defensive in character, he always stood up for himself, but not to the point of being out of control.

His last comment was that PK was always a team player, on or off the ice. He was never a selfish player. But his flamboyancy is sometimes taken the wrong way and intimidates some people that just don’t get it.

He always carries himself a little different than the mob!!

It was a fun talk that I had. Once PK gets a little more French and down the road of life a bunch more years, he just might make a very good Premier of Quebec! or Mayor of Montreal!! Mark my words!!
    IAN

64. Steven says:

In regards to the poll, I don’t mind the benching if it was as simple as that. Whether deserved or not, Subban took a stupid penalty and the team was worse off for it. In such a situation, a benching is reasonable.

…But the boys were down by 2 goals at the time, and Subban is by far and away your best option at any position on the ice when you’re looking to score some goals. Leaving him off basically hampered the team’s chance to score, and in the end, they didn’t. That’s why I think it was a really dumb call.

• JUST ME says:

I agree that nothing would have changed anything yesterday not benching P.K. nor removing the goalie…

I think that M.T. was frustrated that one of the few players he can trust to change things acted foolishly. Not a wise decision but wanted to show an example. That`s MT`s way to manage his emotions not the best way but decisions taken in a matter of minutes…In those circumstances the only one who was in charge of taking decisions to change things around was MT.
      At the end of the day we all know who will win the ultimate battle between the player and the coach,today, tomorrow or next year.

65. naweed235 says:

I don’t know if you guys have seen this before but it’s just incredible. I can’t believe I haven’t seen it before:

66. Trollhunter says:

I`m not a fan of Therrien either. But coaches have tough decisions to make. On the one hand your team is down and you need your best players on the ice. There are times when the habs are down a goal and have an offensive zone face off and Therrien sends his 4th line out leaving the collective Habitants of Habsland scratching their heads. Last night he was faced with a very difficult decision. A rising superstar loses focus and out of frustration, takes a bad penalty. Therrien decides to bench his superstar in the third period when his team needs its best offensive player on the ice.
    Let the dabate in Habsland begin.
    Its a little slap on the wrist guys and if Therrien does nothing PK won`t learn.
    When Babcock was asked about PK making team canada and he responded “We`re gonna put people on the ice we can TRUST“ did people think he was just talking about PK`s defensive play?
    He hooked the guys arm and brought it up near his face to make it look like an elbow to try and draw a penalty. Then he turned around and shoved the guy in his face. He got called for it. After the scrum before heading to the bench he punched the guy in the face. (that last bit i did not see it was as per Guy Carbonneau on L`antichambre after the game). He gets away with a lot on the ice but this was a good call from the refs. How is he gonna learn to stop doing that kind of stuff (Putting his team at risk) if there is zero consequences to his actions?
    I`ve said it before and I`ll say it again. He needs to stop doing that kind of stuff. Even the stuff he gets away with. It needs to stop.
    I love his offensive skills and I can forgive the odd defensive mistake or turnover but what happened last night I HATE about his game.
    Like I said before I`m not a big fan of Therrien but I agree with him giving PK a little slap on the wrist so he stops doing that kind of stuff moving forward. It is what is best for the TEAM moving forward.
    To quote the great Dennis Miller Of course, that`s just my opinion. I could be wrong.

67. JohnBellyful says:

It”s the headline that’s making everyone grumpy:
    ‘Habs given day off Thursday after loss in Philly’

Think how much happier we’d be if it read:
    ‘Habs given Thursday off two days before win over Chicago’

68. Like it or not, Habs head coaches will always need to speak the me fans and media in French. Doesn’t matter if it makes sense, or who agrees or disagrees — it’s just a fact of the team and of the city that’s never going to change, and there’s just no point debating it anymore.

Re: PK, I could almost understand the benching (especially in a game that most Habs showed no sign of wanting to win anyway) if he applied the same rules to all his players: play selfishly, and you don’t see the ice. Thing is, that includes floating around uselessly and expending minimal energy, which lots of Habs were guilty of that last night — and on many nights — but aside from Briere, the only ones who get benched seem to be Subban, Galchenyuk and Eller, three players whose occasional bad judgement stands out precisely because they seem to work so hard most of the time.

I’m reserving judgment on Therrien for now, though — partly because the team is still doing about as well with this roster as anyone could have hoped for, and partly because — and I disagree with you a little on this — I think the kids have actually progressed reasonably well. Galchenyuk (if not for the injury) and Gallagher are both on track for 20-goal seasons in their sophomore year. Eller is too, and he’s been very solid this year. At 25, Max isn’t quite a kid anymore, but he’ s got 19 goals in 36 games, which averages out to 43 goals/year. White has gotten himself under control, and he’s maturing into a dependable, rugged defensive forward.

And say what you want about MT’s treatment of Subban (a lot of it merited, I admit), but you don’t win a Norris if your coach isn’t putting you in a position to succeed. MT may well be doing him some harm, but he’s also done him a lot of good.

Devils coach Jacques Lemaire on the Daneyko-Kaminski feud – “Daneyko got mad when Kaminski said he was going to knock his teeth out. Dano has only two teeth left, so you can’t say that to Dano.”

• Bob_Sacamano says:

There is no point in debating something which is completely ridiculous? Something which makes winning much more difficult? Interesting.

The team is still doing well? No, it´s not. This team has been getting outplayed and outshot in most of the games for weeks now. Without Subban the Habs would miss the playoffs despite being in a very poor conference.

69. HabsWin-nipeg says:

I don’t have any issue with Subban’s response during the scrum that lead to the penalty – he showed some fire/emotion after getting an elbow to the face/head area (as I remember it). I actually wish that he had dropped the gloves and gone with whoever it was that elbowed him.

I agree with most posters here in questioning Therriens treatment of PK. I understand that there was concern about PK thinking he was bigger than the team at one point, but I don’t see that as a problem at the moment. I saw another poster address that PK has been in the league 5 years and 200 plus games already, thus is not a raw rookie who needs constant training. My opinion – PK knows what is expected of him by now – time to let him play and address the issues behind closed doors. What Therrien is doing at this point seems counter-productive to me, and runs the risk of alienating one of our best players.

70. D Mex says:

@ Gonk :
    Thanks for providing this link to the Engels piece on the Subban situation from last night’s game : http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=82

His comments are well articulated and are offered with measures of reason and logic – very refreshing !

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

71. GL says:

The way PK has been treated. He doesn’t belong on the Habs. If I was him I wouldn’t sign no contract I would move on to a team who would appreciate his hard work and talent. You don’t win a Norris trophy and be treated like a rookie. It’s awful to watch how he has been treated by Therrien enough is enough. He’s one of the best if not the best defencemen in the NHL. PK don’t sign Buddy. Move somewhere where you are gonna get the respect you deserve …

• D Mex says:

Not to ruin your momentum with a dose of reality, but Subban is currently projected as the 7th D-Man on Team Canada. This provides a thread of insight about how he is seen outside of Montreal.

If you were him, you ” wouldn’t sign no contract ” …
      Thanks for clearing that up.

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

• Bob_Sacamano says:

That is sad enough. At the same time it has also a lot to do with the fact that Canada´s RD is so strong. I don´t think anyone considers Hamhuis, Bouwmeester or Vlasic to be better than Subban…

• D Mex says:

Hard to say without being privy to meaningful opinions from the likes of Yzerman, Babcock, and others.
          It’s just a starting point – he may end the tournament on the top pairing, or in the pressbox. We’ll know soon enough.

ALWAYS Habs -
          D Mex

• Mavid says:

The talking heads have him slated as the 7th D man, luckly its the great coaches that get to decide were he will fit in. I will wait to see were he actually plays before I comment on how the rest of Canada see’s him.

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• habsguru says:

projected by who? I didn’t hear the coaching staff list the lines.

72. Sportfan says:

Do we finally get to call someone up, or do we trade Breire, orrrrr?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• D Mex says:

Your question about Brière is timely : the same satellite commentator (didn’t catch the name) who called for Tim Murray to be named today as the Sabres new GM (now confirmed) also commented on recent talks that would have the Habs moving him to Buffalo. Stay tuned !

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

• Habcouver says:

Or do we stay put with the team and continue to build within? Yeah, that’s it because MB is satisfied with the team’s first half results.

Waiting patiently for #25

Another 2 years of hope down the drain. Habs continue to be a joke.

74. JUST ME says:

Someone was asking for Jeff Molson to step in !!! Do you realize that this management has been in place for just a bit more than a year ?

Overreacting ? Who ? What? Where ? HIO? Naaaahhh never !

75. Sportfan says:

So do the Habs deserve the day off, or should it be intense drills!!!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!