Habs given day off Thursday after loss in Philly

The Canadiens flew home after Wednesday night’s 3-1 loss to the Flyers in Philadelphia and were given the day off Thursday by coach Michel Therrien.

The Canadiens will practise next at 11 a.m. Friday in Brossard before facing the Stanley Cup-champion Chicago Blackhawks Saturday night at the Bell Centre (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

A day after being named to Team Canada for the Sochi Olympics, P.K. Subban found himself back in coach Michel Therrien’s doghouse. Subban took a roughing penalty during a scrum at the end of the second period and found himself benched for the first half of the third period.

“Very bad penalty,” Therrien told reporters in Philadelphia after the game. “The team concept will always prevail. We’ll never, never, never change that.”

(Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

Therrien was simply doing his job by benching Subban, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Flyers jump to early lead, hold on for win, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Habs didn’t execute, Therrien says, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

GM Bergevin says Habs are on right track, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Canadiens have rich history at Olympics, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Habs fly by night out of Philly, Canadiens.com

Words from the room (video), Canadiens.com

Red-hot Flyers could be darkhorse in the East, The Hockey News

Sabres name Tim Murray general manager, NHL.com

1,414 Comments

1. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Just checking in: Has Therrien been fired yet?

2. shiram says:

Today there are people overreacting on both sides of the spectrum.
    Just be excellent to each other man.

• Walmyr says:

Shiram, the overreacting thing always occur after a loss…

and we are missing some key members here (Timo for example)…

EDIT: no no, Timo is in the house…

3. habcertain says:

After so many years of mediocrity I thought MB was going to usher in new life, new attitude. Didn’t t know much about him, past his years as a player, but coming from Chicago hanging around the likes of Bowman, was hoping something rubbed off on him. His hiring of MT was the first groan but understanding we are handicapped in who we can choose and thought, ok maybe he has changed, learned something from his past. I didn’t like the fact that he was an anti PK guy, validated by his continued criticism from the AC couch, but maybe he was just pandering as a media type. It did continue, and thought well maybe this is just the tough love approach but last night’s ridiculous benching has surpassed anything sane and depicts MT has big issues. None of the other kids have progressed, veterans are mailing it in and if not for the play of the two Ps, we are nowhere near any play off spot. MB’s recent spew is surely related to the contract talks and is equally troubling in light of the non stop banter of changing the culture. Demeaning your star player in public is not a negotiating static, it is just plain dumb. PK is in the drivers seat this go around and that was laid out by how MB negotiated his last contract, he called the player out and PK responded, now he needs to pay the piper or trade him. It is apparent that in this continued environment of having to select 2nd rate management/coaching because of the parle factor it will handicap us until we can remove it, or someone who can parle rises to the top. It will be hard to attract talent to this circus, I thought we had moved past the nonsense, guess not, let’s keep on dissing our star player, excellent hockey strategy.

• Curtoph says:

I would suggest some time spent formatting.

Perhaps separate your thoughts into new paragraphs?

Giant blocks of texts as yours are scary!

• TMan1969 says:

I just got to say not happy with the way the team played last night…but firing the coach for an “expert” coach would be tragic. Change of playing style, adjustment and then, especially here, a traumatic toss the new coach under the bus…I agree with some here a bit of patience but I still would like to see a trade to inject some life into a forward line…

Do not scorn a weak cub. He may become the brutal tiger.

Mongolian Proverb

4. habsguru says:

think Sam Mitchel could coach hockey? zero zero zero zero…

5. huge_polar_bear says:

Did you ever want the super power of invisibility? This poor guy gets a taste during the Chicago Blackhawks pre-game warm-up.

6. thebonscott says:

It is not always a conscious response, like patrice oneal’s comedy routine on how if a white woman is missing everyone knows her name, but if the woman is not white???? what was that girl’s name again??? Sad but true.

C’mon guys this is not rocket surgery!!!!

7. Eddie says:

I thought when Gauthier was GM and Martin was the coach I could never be further from the team’s management’s way of thinking.

And when Bergevin was hired I applauded it. I was full of hope.

Then Bergevin hired the re-tread Therrien and I became suspicious. Why Therrien of all people? He’s a walking time bomb. He is an emotional train wreck.

I knew of Therrien’s disrespect for Subban. He never hid tat position from anyone, so surely it came up in his interview with Begevin.

Bergevin sites Subban’s benching when he took the job, then Therrien turns around and benches Subban immediately right after.

The two of them are on the same page, clearly, when it does to how Subban “needs to be corrected”.

I feel less attached to this management team than I have ever felt.

They just don’t get it. They just do not understand how to lead respectfully, and Subban is simply the scapegoat of their broken philosophy.

If Molson does not step in I will have to conclude that he, too, is on board.

• kalevine says:

that is my fear, that Bergevin is completely onboard with Therrien re Subban

• habcertain says:

Eddie, I just wrote almost exactly the same thing, without reading your post, if we can get it, why can’t the professionals?

• Luke says:

For the sake of clarity:

MB cited PK being scratched from games when he took the job. MT benched him for about 8 or 10 minutes (5 or 6 shifts).

• Ron says:

@Ed, its 2 AST here in NB and incase I missed it but has you or anyone else on here seen or heard MB making a statement in regard to last nights MT moves ? It appears to be all over the hockey world that MT made some bad moves last night ( in their opinion ) and causing some highlite hockey news. Has he not made a statement to try and defuse this mess ?

• Eddie says:

No I haven’t heard a word. Maybe the benching was all part of the “negotiating strategy” which was sited yesterday.

The silence from Bergevin’s office is deafening today.

• JUST ME says:

Molson will not step in that would be amateurish of his part. Do you realize that you are ready to throw everything away after barely more than a year of that management because of the lockout . ONE YEAR ! What a patient man you are . I do not know if Therrien will be resigned after his 3 year deal is done but i know one thing . Bergevin never thought nor did we that after ONE YEAR ! things would be completely changed.

Maybe a little time away from the team and HIO would do the job cause you are not thinking clearly i`m afraid.

• Eddie says:

Hey Just Me, there’s the door, don’t let it hit your sorry arse on the way out.

I’m sticking around to see your buddy Therrien get what he deserves.

And the day he does, come back and visit us.

Because I will be having a great laugh at your expense.

Hey Eddie.

Relax, man.

• JUST ME says:

Have you ever heard of bullying man ? Look at yourself in the mirror now cause if you are acting this way on a simple hockey blog imagine in real life !

At the end of the day P.K. will be here long after Therrien is gone , that`s always how it goes. After one year it makes no sense to change Bergevin`s plan since the results are there whether it satisfies you or not sir.

8. joeybarrie says:

How dare Therrien bench Subban for taking a stupid penalty and trying to teach him a lesson.
    WHAT, our best player didnt play the third period.
    FIRE THE ENTIRE CITY IMMEDIATELY.
    What did the Mayor do????????? Did he close the Bell Center?

PK hates this whole team and city now, and will surely sign with the the Leafs.
    The locker room is divided between PKs and nonPKs.
    Doomed to miss the playoffs forever.

Holy over reactions Batman…….

• jshell06 says:

Malkin and Crosby were going to MTL in exchange for Tokarski and a 7th round pick up until yesterday, when they veto’d the trade because of what they saw Therrien do!

Also PK has apparently given up his Canadian passport and will be transferring to Team Sweden for the Olympics.

Cow-town Canadien

• Habsrule1 says:

Thank you joey. Thank you very much.

Very small percentage of sanity here.

If Boone actually believes what he wrote, I’m a little dissapointed. If not, he’s a genius for stirring the pot and getting hits and comments on this site.

Go Habs Go!!

I suspect many folks here today may like to use this picture for their computer wallpaper.

10. kalevine says:

This year the Habs look completely hopeless against the best opposition in ways not even seen in 2011-2012 season, where they lost many 1 and 2 goal games, often ones they were leading going into the 3rd. Only this year do they go in to play a team like Philly, LA, or Chicago with essentially NO chance of winning and barely a chance of getting an even strength goal. I’ll be happy with a 4-1 loss against Chicago

11. habsguru says:

the day off, scheduled or not, who cares. a good practice tomorrow will be much better than a bad one today.

the benching, not what I would do, but doesn’t upset me so much

the MT comments after the game, not cool.
    the double standards on the team (DD vs PK), very not cool

12. DipsyDoodler says:

J’Accuse!

On the other thread the poster called bwoar wrote the following about Max P:

“The shove that got him a taste of the stanchion. The reason Chara tried to kill him. The retaliation was heavy, but the little b#$!& shove is what made it happen. Pacioretty is kind of a punk, in my books.”

He also writes

” I don’t fault Chara for taking umbrage”

I don’t believe a Hab fan would write those words. The tone is just wrong. The retaliation was heavy? I don’t fault Chara? And calling our best scorer a punk?

I think a Bruin or, less likely, a Leaf or Sen supporter, who is pretending to be a Canadiens fan on this site would write these words.

Another time he wrote

“Chris Nilan sucks.”

Sorry, mate, but you simply cannot be anything other than a Bruins fan.

You’ve been outed.

• habsguru says:

good detective work. in my books you get a scooby snack.

• kalevine says:

one more point along those lines. There are people, believe it or not, who are fans of NO team, but hate the Habs. These are the lowest of the low. So don’t assume that they are a Leafs or Bruins supporter, although I admit it does sound like it. But I guess there are no rules about having to be a fan to post here

Disagree, Bwoar is a habs fan, he just doesn’t doesn’t view everything through heavily tinted Habs glasses.

I don’t agree with most of those statements, but I can see his perspective while still being a Hab fan.

• DipsyDoodler says:

If you know him then I guess I’m wrong.

But even the most clear eyed Habs fan would never take Chara’s side in that incident.

Don’t know him, but I read his posts and I happen to think he is indeed a Habs fan. I don’t think he is a big Max P. fan, just as many aren’t big DD fans or Plex or Price or whomever it is they may not be fans of.

• Habsrule1 says:

Could not agree more. You have taken the evidence and broke it down.

There can now be NO DOUBT that bwoar is NOT a Habs fan.

Well done Dipsy.

13. John Q Public says:

Even the OS’s were smart enough to leave.

14. shiram says:

If anyone is not angry enough as it is, HEOTP has got an article on : “On teaching P.K. Subban, and Michel Therrien’s bizarre coaching decisions”

But it really does not bring up anything new or interesting :p

15. SmartDog says:

Therrien is basically a dry drunk. He’s capped his rage, but it’s still there. He blames everyone else for his own mistakes…. but he’s running out of excuses.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

16. habstrinifan says:

OK Serious Here.. please take a minute and react seriously.

Everyone knows how I feel about the entire proceedings of Jan 8th/2014 in Habsland.

But please enough of
    a) you couldnt do this because he’s an Olympian
    b) You couldnt do this because he’s the best player
    and all the arguments in that vein.

As Engels pointed out, there are enough grave questions to be asked about Therrien’sactions, motives, resourcefulness, impetuous spitefulness, knee-jerk targeting of one-player ALL WITHIN CONTEXT OF LAST NIGHT’S GAME.

To start with the hyperbole is weakening proper examination, just as much as the insincere mealy mouths who concoct strange explanations as “he did this to tell the team you stink”.

17. Hoegaarden says:

P.K. is the one who will have the last laugh. Therrien giving him the rookie treatment every time he makes a mistake is the ultimate insult. His “very bad penalty” comment last night is totally unwarranted. Molson better step in and have a serious talk with both MB and MT or risk losing him.
    P.K. nailed to the bench is a recipe for disaster.

The one player who needs this kind of treatment is 6’ 2”, 215 or so. Watching this heavyweight play like a ballerina is so friggin obvious it makes one wonder why the brass simply do not put him on waivers and call up someone who is willing to at least fight for the rubber. If he is hurting some or fears another concussion, he is of no value to the team.

18. JohnBellyful says:

Why is the onus on teams to be creative?
    Why shouldn’t the fans bring something to the table to heighten a game’s entertainment?
    You can’t count on today’s players, today’s systems, today’s schedules to produce top-notch action every night.
    That’s why we as fans need to do our part to make the games more interesting.
    Me, when a game is dragging on and the boys are stinking out the joint, I just put the La-Z-Man back a bit further and drift off into a reverie where the passes are crisp, the shots hit the net, body checks are hard but clean, misdemeanors are penalized, there are no scrums after a whistle, each save is a miraculous one, and every goal a thing of beauty.
    Yes, it takes years of practice to achieve this altered state on command – I started about five years after the Canadiens last won the Cup – but the naturally induced feeling of bliss is well worth the effort. I haven’t ‘seen’ the team play a bad game in ages.
    True, now and then – more now than then of late – when, despite my best efforts, reality rears its ugly head – forgive me, I can’t get this weird image of a head coming out … never mind – and I’m forced to confront the fact the team is playing poorly.
    It’s on those occasions that I resort to artificial means to make the most of a game that’s truly stultifying. This includes copious consumption of alcoholic beverages, frequent ingestion of quasi-illegal substances, and cranial massages with a rubber mallet.
    It works, but my wallet is taking a beating. So’s my head.

– “A little hat, a little coat, a little liquor down your throat.” –

You watching games at Front’s house lately John?

• habstrinifan says:

I absolutely agree with you John Bellyful. I think the fans have the onus to think outside the box and add excitement to the game.

And since everything in Mtl starts and ends with P.K I am inviting you to join me in doing so. Remember the two adoring P.K fans, in black face and afro wigs. They are now in a sanatorium getting shock treatment.. but I purchased their gear off Kijiji from some guy named Benito Mussolini.

I shall be showing my empathy with and sympathy for P.K next game. I need a partner.. I know you have a big head so I’ll give yo the bigger AFRO. Let’s take this circus to heights unknown.

• Cal says:

MT’s new CreativityKiller™ Systems is to blame. He takes all the fun and joy in an arena just before the game and sucks it into a 1 litre bottle with the aforementioned label and puts it on his shelf in his office.
      I’ve seen that shelf. There’s a hundred of those bottles there, some with cobwebs on them and a Penguin 87 logo.

19. The Gonk says:

Here’s Eric Engel’s take on last night’s fiasco:

Can’t say I disagree.

20. Cal says:

The old expression is “You play as well as you practice.”
    Why is it after every effing piss poor effort or blowout that this group ALWAYS gets the effing day off?

My other beef is with how the team plays. Big, fast skating teams (or individual lines) can play dump and chase. The Habs can’t and haven’t been able to for years now. So why the eff does the MasTermind have the team playing that style? Is it stupidity or stubborness?
    Why has the gap between defenders and back checking forwards grown so large?
    Why the hell is Pateryn still in the AHL when the D obviously needs someone who is 6′ 2″ and 220lbs and has been playing physically according to all reports?
    I guess because the Habs are still 4th in the conference, right?
    Well, that will change quickly if management sits on its hands all the time and does nothing.
    The Habs are playing pathetic, boring hockey. With players like PK, Markov, Patches, Gally and Chucky? Really?

• shiram says:

They have to plan at least 4 days off before each new month, and give that schedule to the players.
      They had scheduled today off as they knew they could practice tomorrow.

• Cal says:

I would have cancelled that day off real quick after how they “performed” last night.
        They’d be in watching game video of just how little they tried last night and be receiving some hard kicks in the ass. Their lack of effort was hard to watch, and it’s been this way for the last ten games or so.

• shiram says:

You can’t do that because of the new CBA.
          They should do it tomorrow though.

• Habsrule1 says:

You can’t just cancel. It’s called the CBA.

Again, I’m surprised no owner insisted on 24 hours of practice after a loss to be added to it. They have all day tomorrow and Saturday to practice, look at video, etc, etc.

I can’t believe I have to write this stuff.

• Cal says:

The scheduling of off-days has stunk for a long time now. They always come after a particularly embarrassing loss. Get the feeling the players are thinking about something other than the game?

• shiram says:

To be fair I had written a similar answer, so you did not “have to write” it, but I appreciate the backing!

• Habsrule1 says:

I probably started my post before you wrote yours (I type slowly), but thanks for helping.

21. habcertain says:

Boone’s ALN got moved off the lead page pretty fast……maybe a call from the beer store……couldn’t happen here, we are building a new culture

22. habstrinifan says:

Habs Win-nipeg posted this link:

Please go and read it. And if you have even one iota of an ability to look at facts and judge objectively, you will be compelled to see well presented and forcefully put thoughts of this author.

23. PK Subban is Montreal’s Version of Sidney Crosby, you don’t bench Crosby!

9 Million/8 years, thanks Dion! :lol:

Break over get back to work!

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

24. twilighthours says:

I love you, Matty. You’re on my all-star team. But I think you’re missing the point of – or ignoring – a lot of what people are writing here today.

25. ooder says:

i would rather a player like PK take a penalty because he is playing with heart and passion, then wet noodles like diaz, boullion, bourque who don’t take penalties because they either float or are hilariously ineffective

26. habfan01 says:

Look on the bright side- There no disallowed goals last night.

27. JUST ME says:

I like Chris Nilan. He does not try to get ratings,have someone fired or create controversy he says it like it is. He played the game and was and still is not afraid.
    He said the Habs were scared yesterday and it is true. They just did not want to pay any price and were playing on the edge of the blades, sticks and skates.

28. habsguru says:

so PK gets his head slammed into the glass after the buzzer, a scrum ensues, and he takes an emotionally charged penalty… I didn’t realize MT’s new system was “turn the other cheek”. some call it selfish, I call it human. Cheap… not as cheap as riding somebody’s head on the glass after the buzzer. PK did hit the wrong guy, but you don’t know what was said or done in the scrum.

• CH Marshall says:

MT should have benched Prust for fighting.

And MB should stop talking the talk, and start walking the walk. Size, grit, character? Our team looked scared of being hit by Simmonds and crew last night.

29. Habsrule1 says:

Love you guys. Love this site.

But some of you (Boone included) need to get a grip.

• twilighthours says:

I’ll be honest with you: I bet I’m as dispassionate on this topic as anyone here. Cool as a cucumber.

So I have a grip. I just really, really disagree with Therrien’s methods.

• Habsrule1 says:

As I have said before, I do not agree with the benching. If I was coach, I would have put a positive spin on the penalty. I would have pointed out that finally someone has shown some emotion & passion. Now, let’s go kill this penalty and feed off that emotion.

That being said, what MT did is not the worst thing a head coach has ever done and does not mean he should be fired. The team has performed well with MT coaching them. If that continues to change and they miss the playoffs, they should evaluate and possibly replace him.

30. Edman says:

Matty,

You don’t bench your best offensive player down by 2 goals when your entire team can’t generate any offence at all.

Benching P.K. was the wrong move. Was the penalty selfish? Yes. But so is not playing with any heart (Bourque). If Boullion get’s that penalty do you think he is benched? No.

MT is losing the room: DD, Briere, Emelin, and Diaz all pissed at being healthy scratches. P.K., Eller, Galchenyuk, all with little icetime. MT better hope they start winning or he will be looking for a new job.

-Follow Me @EddieThoughts

• Habsrule1 says:

I didn’t like the move.

What proof do you have that he’s losing the room? These players should be pissed….at themselves. DD was so pissed his play has improved ten-fold since he was a scratch. The others also all deserved to be benched.

Heh heh.
      You have no way of knowing if MT is losing the room.

In my opinion, they are more strongly behind their coach than ever before!

Both opinions are equally valid based on primary evidence.

• jshell06 says:

In my opinion, rumor has it the Penguins were willing to send us Malkin and Crosby for Briere or Tokarski, but Crosby veto’d it because he’d have to play under Therrien again.

Cow-town Canadien

31. scavanau says:

More and more I find myself checking in to see who got traded or who got fired.

32. thebonscott says:

Sure bench the only person who gives a dam, played with emotion and had some fight in him, he punched a flyer in the face, he should have played the whole third period.
    If P.K., was white i think we are not haveing this conversation, the refs are bias against him, the organization should be supporting his every move, i fear we are going to lose him.

• Gerry H says:

Oh, c’mon. What evidence is there that race is a factor? PK gets attention because of his outrageous skill and personality.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Patrick Kane doesn’t seem to get the aggressive negative press Subban gets, neither does doughty. Both great at young ages and talked a lot on the ice.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• Luke says:

P.Kane doesn’t? Did you miss the in depth coverage of booze-fest that was his (and Seguin’s for that matter) recent summer vacations?

The difference isn’t the presence or absence of negative press, the difference is the amount of press covering it, and the way they do it.

If PK played for and was benched by Chicago, it would have been one sentance in the game summary. In Montreal (and in Canada) its front page, feature story drama.

If Kane or Seguin did what they did in Montreal, we’d hear all about it.

• Steeltown Hab says:

That’s what I mean it’s out there and people are aware but they focus on the good, aside from Subban who doesn’t have any off-ice issues and media in toronto, mtl, etc feel the need to rip on him and compare him to a Terrell Owens like figure. Implying the dressing room wasn’t welcoming him back when he was held out.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• Luke says:

This I agree with.

PJ Stock and his “look at his headphones. Everyone obviously hates him” schtick certainly comes to mind…

• habstrinifan says:

Mealy mouth Insincerity! That’s what I mean.
            If Luke cannot look at Kane’s indiscretion so to speak and compare the quiet afterlude he enjoyed from all hockeyland with the diatribe that follows P.K … then why try and engage in discussion.

• Luke says:

Mealy Mouth insincerity? Huh? Rage much? I get that you may not agree with me, but stow the baiting and insults.

And it wasn’t quiet. I heard plenty about it. I assumed we all saw the photos and heard the comments… but the difference is that in Montreal (and Canada) NHL news coverage is 24/7 all year. Just because you ignored Kane & Seguins party press doesn’t mean it wasn’t there.
            But even in a hockey market like Chicago, once the Optional team workouts start, its Bears – Bears – NFL – Kane – Bears – Sox – Cubs – Bulls – Hawks.

Mind you, you are part of what fuels the Afterlude that PK must endure. What kind of rage did the Keith fans kick up when he was benched for part of a game in 2010… his Norris year?

Thats right. None.

• thebonscott says:

what is outrageous about his personality??? He smiles??

C’mon guys this is not rocket surgery!!!!

• habsguru says:

and race. it would be ignorant to ignore

• Steeltown Hab says:

If PK was white he’s Shea Weber level of respect.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• Habsrule1 says:

Don’t start with that BS. I agree with some things MT has done regarding PK.

Does that make me racist as well? That card is getting played a bit too much.

• habstrinifan says:

You tell me which things you agree with and I will tell you if you are.

Sorry man I couldnt pass. Too easy man … too easy.

• Habsrule1 says:

lol If I am someone better break it to my Jamaican wife!

I’m not telling her, that’s for sure!

• habcertain says:

Hard to ignore though, they have been on his ass non stop and MB looks like he has joined the parade, being the best player on the team who never mails it in surely mean something. To say MT doesn’t like PK would be correct, as for the reason you can arrive at your own conclusion.

• Habsrule1 says:

You think MT doesn’t like PK. That does not make it correct.

33. habsguru says:

i thought the took yesterday off?

does Bourque have a pulse?
    does Moen have eggs in his pockets?
    does DD have… never mind

34. CH Marshall says:

Still can’t get over the fact that MT benched an Olympian like that. Man oh man

• Mattyleg says:

I don’t think Therrien’s approach to Subban should change because he was selected for the Olympics.

Do you?

• Steeltown Hab says:

I think it needs to change, and not because the olympic nomination.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• Stimpy007 says:

They have to get rid of MT, I can feel another P Roy situation coming on with PK if they dont. Eller took a Stuuuupit penalaty and he didnt bench him?? He keeps giving it to PK and no one else gets punished. He has clearing lost the room and they should switch before this season goes to shat!

• Mattyleg says:

No one else gets punished?
        Please think before you post.

Eller has ridden the pine, as has DD, as has White, as has Chucky, etc. etc. for stupid penalties.

He obviously considered PK’s stupider. And I agree.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Subban throws a punch in a scrum, happens minimum 5 times a game in the NHL.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

He didn’t do that.
            He threw a cheap-shot after the scrum was broken up.

• Stimpy007 says:

Last night eller was sat? I dont think so there chumy!

No, he wasn’t.

I said ‘has ridden’, which is the past perfect, meaning ‘at an undetermined time in the past,’ as in before last night’s game, chum-of-mine!

• Stimpy007 says:

he clearly rides subban more than anyone else and he is our best player???? I’m saying lay off! Eller’s brain fart was just as if not more of a selfish stupid act as pk’s and he sat for it. Eller was not punished at all. Anyway i dont want to argue. Just saying I’m not a fan of MT’s methods and would hate to see him ruin PK and he runs for the hills.

• Gerry H says:

I don’t agree with the benching, but you can’t run the club based on the fear of a star player throwing a hissy-fit and leaving. PK is not Patrick Roy (thank God).

My fear is MT losing the players’ confidence. If he loses the room, all is lost. I don’t think we’re even close to that situation, but inviting a power struggle with a franchise player like PK would roll the team well down that road.

• thebonscott says:

good point, eller penalty was dumb, but he is very frustrated right now, kinda like me.

C’mon guys this is not rocket surgery!!!!

35. Mattyleg says:

Morning All!

Missed the game, and watched 2 periods on Canadiens Express before giving up.

A poor day at the office, what can you say?

Another p!ss-poor ALN from Booner, who has consistently underperformed more than our Habs this season.

He’s worse than some of the trolls on here!!

As for PK, I agree with sitting him; there is obviously a credo in the room which is that you don’t intentionally leave your team up shlitz creek for selfish reasons, and when you break that, you pay the price. PK should not be exempt from that rule.

Anybody who has taken a stupid, selfish penalty has suffered the same fate; if Therrien starts doing the ‘Some Players Are More Equal Than Others’ then that’s the beginning of the end of the ‘Team First’ concept.

PK’s punch was a very, very, cheap shot, and deserved to be punished.

As for not pulling Budaj, I agree with Therrien too. His team didn’t deserve to win the game, so why should he go to the trouble of trying to salvage a win when his team so obviously won’t step up?

There was a coach who did the exact same thing a few years back; he was around for a little while, you might recognize his name: Jacques Lemaire.

As for ruining PK, please. Stop with the histrionics.
    If his coach is pissed with him, he should look in the mirror, not at other teams.

It was a bad game. Leave it at that.

• shiram says:

Did he bench Eller for the slew foot? was that even penalized??

• Mattyleg says:

I dunno. Was it as obvious, selfish, and stupid as PK’s punch?

• shiram says:

I did not see it, I was in the kitchen, but could hear the Flyers announcers talking about it.
          And really Matty, it’s interesting to see you White Knighting for Therrien, it’s certainly valid as not many here defend him, and it’s always better to see both spectrums of a point.

But for me, I just can’t help to feel that Subban does indeed get some sort of “special treatment” that is not reserved for any other player on the ice.

Sides, if the zebras had called the elbow Subby got to the head, the scrum would have been meaningless, at worst 4 on 4.

Yes to that last point.

I hardly think that Therrien is flawless; I don’t agree with everything he does, and sometimes I wonder about him. But I also do agree with a lot of things he does, including the things I mentioned above.

• Stimpy007 says:

Eller’s was worse than PK’s in my opinion and he didnt miss a shift!

• Mattyleg says:

It’s the coach’s opinion that counts, however, and not yours!

• habsguru says:

what about the rule to cover your winger so he doesn’t put the puck in the open net?

• Walmyr says:

Hello Matty…
      I agree…It was a bad game.
      BTW…what kind of pills you suggest???

Cheers

• bwoar says:

Wow! Other than your shoot at Boone, and your trite “we live in an age” I completely agree with you Matty about the game. And, the team gave up on the game before you did, so no loss there.

You are giving the coach a bit of a free pass, though. When is a good time to wonder, “does this guy have the room? And should he?”

“thoroughbred”

• Mattyleg says:

After he gets fired and people say ‘we stopped listening to him.’

Because people will wonder if he’s lost the room after the first loss of the season.

And I know that point was trite, but it’s something that has been bothering me recently.

• frontenac1 says:

Hola Matty! I have no problem with a coach having that rule. Only problem is Mike does not apply it to everyone. Ie Plex,Gio,Markov. MT is full of shit when said that “never,never,never”crap,and the players know it too.

Heya Front,
        As I mentioned below, I don’t think those three players would have done such a stupid thing, which is why Therrien would never have to bench them.

• shiram says:

I know Pleky does it once in while, he would not punch someone, but he does slash people in frustration.
          He’s my favorite player too, so it’s not like I’m biased saying it.

• frontenac1 says:

I dont know amigo. Ive seen all three of those guys take stupid penalties in the offensive zone,especially Plex. Never seen Mike bench them for 10min. Something stinks imo. Saludos!

• Wintercount says:

now, why couldn’t you “leave it at that” _ off the soapbox dude

and leave the boon guy alone

• kalevine says:

“But then again, we live in an age where it’s always someone else who is responsible for all our problems, issues, insecurities, and negativity.”

that seems to be the only aspect of Therrien’s character that is in keeping with the times!

36. munch17 says:

First – a disclaimer – I am not a big David Desharnais ( the player) fan.
    I like and admire the person.
    The turning point in the season for me was when he scored a shoot-out goal which led miraculously to him being re-instated to the “first ” line and first PP unit.
    In the first 20 games of the season we had 78 PP opportunities wand scored in 15/20 games at a rate of %24.
    In the last 20 games – we have had 57 opportunities , scored in 5 games with an efficiency rate of less than 9%.
    It is not a co-incidence that the DD line has started the majority of PP’s during this time and rarely establish control with the top two defensive pairing during the first wave.
    When Eller or Pleks are in the seem to establish some control – often with 55 and 61.
    Do MT and MB NOT SEE THIS?
    Gally is struggling with those DD and MAX – can’t anyone see this?
    There are fewer PP opportunities because we don’t pressure anyone and opponents don’t have to take penalties.
    The best way to improve five on five scoring is to score PP goals and force the opposition to open up.
    Very frustrating being a Habs fan these days.
    I have never seen one player ( DD ) treated so differently than the others.
    Completely blown coverage on first goal last night and no consequences.
    No wonder MT will lose the room.

• jrs10069 says:

The change in pp success is not because of DD, he can actually control the puck, it’s more to do with other teams figuring out how to box out PK and Markov

jrs10069

37. Maksimir says:

Mentioned below – people forget that while while PK got sat for 10mins… Diaz & Emelin sat out entire games.

That being said – I am still worried about where MT is taking this team.

• habsguru says:

they should probably still be sitting

• kalevine says:

so should most of them best on their performances most nights. But they do have to ice a team, which means underachievers will play. But players with heart and skill who make a mistake in judgement in the heat of the moment should not be benched, just talked to privately

38. Davey93 says:

Who the hell voted “yes” on that poll?!?!

39. knob says:

What a joke. This team plays a lifeless game against Philly and gets a day off??

40. Kooch7800 says:

On a brighter note tomorrow is friday!

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

41. homerbowen says:

Until the team is prepared to put “TEAM” first and not language spoken by coach(s) and players first we are doomed. If the best coach available and the best players available can speak french then great go for it. However, MT, Briere, DD and Boullion do not fit into those categories. Yes, there are a number of non french speaking players that do not fit into the best available category as well.

42. frontenac1 says:

Kirk Muller.He can speak enough French for the gig.

• Kooch7800 says:

I like Muller. I hope he stays away from here. He should continue to coach in a team that isn’t such a fishbowl

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• frontenac1 says:

I like Homeboy Kirk too amigo. Trust me, he loves the city and knows what to expect there. I think the French media would give him a pass on the language issue if he tried.

43. durocher says:

I don’t get the benching of any player — whether it’s PK or anyone else — who shows some emotion and fight in a scrum. We are a team that lacks hunger and compete level. All that MT has accomplished with the benching is make it less likely for PK to exhibit that emotion and energy in battling other players.

Players who should be off the team: 51 (too small), 21 (too small, not productive on a consistent basis), 17 (no compete level, no offensive production), 32 (playing better than last year, but too expensive for a 4th liner, and could fetch some sort of return), 61 (too small, does not contribute offensively at all). I’m willing to give 48 some more time given his recent play.

• Sammie88 says:

The average height of the team would increase by a foot if those changes would be made. Imagine all the 50-50 fights for pucks in the corners they would win if their size would increase.

• habsguru says:

“Imagine all the 50-50 fights for pucks in the corners they would win if their size would increase” @Sammie, the team model (which is horrible) is to be small and fast, and the don’t even get to the corner! I wish the CH cared as much as we do

• Sammie88 says:

That is the sad part, especially when the west is built to be big and to win those puck battles. It doesn’t matter if you are small and fast if you don’t ever have the puck. :)
          True test is coming on Saturday with the Hawks…gulp.

• wd40 says:

Yes, and I’m more than a little riled up about this.

Seriously, he benches PK because his “selfish penalty” hurt the team? You bench arguable the most talented, engaged, and hard-working player on the team because his emotions get the better of him during a scrum? Great message, MT!. I have an idea, how about you bench the lifeless passengers on this team FIRST?

• jrs10069 says:

I would start with 17, 21 and 61…51 has been playing better as has 32 (much better). I too would like to give 48 a chance but the likelyhood that it works out is very low hence not worth the risk.

jrs10069

44. Habfan17 says:

Therrien is proving again, he has no clue. This team needs to practice and work on their execution. They have had enough days off this month already! The one practice they had was to play baseball, sheesh!

I am not saying bag skate them, but after that horrible effort, or lack of effort last night, they need to work out some kinks. Let’s bench PK but heavev forbid we work the rest of the team that coasted through the hockey game yesterday, I guess PK is the only accountable player on the Habs!

Here is an idea, hold a practice and make the first 30 minutes a bag skate for Pleks, Gionta and Markov. Maybe then they will step up and call out the rest of the team when they decide to go through the motions. They are the team leaders, right!

Then they can practice for an hour on actual drills. Hitting the net when they shoot for one, and not standing still after receiving a pass for another!

Habfan17

45. jimmy shaker says:

on the flip side,

first goal is disallowed because vinny clips budaj which the refs missed.
    second goal, flukey vonflukaburger deflection off of eller

so really the came could’ve been 1-1 and totally different, but it wasn’t.

Shaker out!

46. Dr.Rex says:

Analyzing this team can be put into simple terms with looking at their work ethic. When the habs are playing with energy and utilizing their speed which is obviously their strength then they are a strong hockey team that can compete for the division. However there seems to be a growing trend of laziness in this squad that is present too often. When this laziness creeps in then the first aspect of their game that is affected is their speed. When their speed is neutralized then they go from a strong team to a below par team. Lat night was a great example of this.

47. JUST ME says:

You guys should go and listen to P.K. `S interview on TSN Melnick show given tuesday. You would hear how he does not care about all those who analyse and critic a simple game and only wants to play and move forward.

48. HabsWin-nipeg says:

I’m not a Therrien hater – although I have begun to question his decisions of late. Regardless, here’s an interesting article by Engels in regards to last night:

• Dr.Rex says:

Poor Moen is always asked to fill in roles he cant do when Therrien starts shuffling lines.

• twilighthours says:

“If Tomas Plekanec took that penalty, there’s not a chance in any universe that Therrien would’ve parked him for 10 minutes of the third period. Not under any game circumstance; not down by two, not tied, not up by five.”

Bravo, Eric.

• shiram says:

It’s true, and I think they should both treated with the same kind of respect.
        Subban is not a rookie anymore, he’s on his 5th season in the NHL, over 200 games played.

• Mattyleg says:

It’s a completely moot point.
        Tomas Plekanec would never have taken that penalty, so the comparison is utterly, utterly useless.
        It’s what’s called a ‘Straw Man’ argument, where you create an impossible situation to prove a point.

• christophor says:

That’s only one type of straw man argument (or, rather, only an extreme one, since a straw man argument is any argument that deals with a weak version of an opponent’s position). But, anyway, I think you’re reading too much into how bad/selfish that was. Even if you’re not, Markov often takes selfish slashing and cross checking penalties and isn’t benched. Subban doesn’t do that often.

The issue is more that it seems Subban is constantly on a short leash and he shouldn’t be.

Besides that, maybe the bigger deal is refusing to pull the goalie, but maybe you also agree with that.

• twilighthours says:

I’m familiar with a straw man, Matty. I read EOTP from time to time.

Plex has taken many a bad penalty in his day. He’s even been suspended for losing his cool and spearing someone.

• Habsrule1 says:

Actually, it’s not a good point. ALL coaches in the history of the game have treated players differently. What works for some does not work for others. How is this lost on so many people?

• twilighthours says:

Buddy, I never for a second believed that “fair” is the same as “equal.”

Here’s the deal, though: what PK is getting from Therrien is neither equal nor fair.

• Habsrule1 says:

Ya, being benched in a game when you make what the coach perceives as a mistake is so not fair.

How have thousands of hockey players coped throughout history?

• Walmyr says:

Engels is not a Therrien hater too. At least he wasn’t until last night….

Thanks for the link. Nice read…

49. Sammie88 says:

I do not understand when PK makes an error he gets benched and MT blasts him to the media, but other players can make mistakes that costs the team goals – nothing is done nor are they ever callled out.
    The first goal was clearly a blunder by Desharnais not marking his man but yet was he benched? Did MT comment about him to the media?
    The Habs need Subban. They better be careful as there are 29 other teams who would love to have him.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Desharnais is clearly the most untouchable player in the organization.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• Sammie88 says:

I agree….
        DD has at least ‘improved’ the past while but why one player gets benched and another doesn’t is puzzling. Do it across the board and not just to certain players.

• Luke says:

I do believe DD was a health scratch this season.
        Am I incorrect in remembering that?

• Sammie88 says:

True – you are correct. But in terms of errors made during a game he doesn’t seem to be touched. Although #27 was sat a few times mid game.

• Mattyleg says:

DD was benched at least twice.
            As was Eller, Chucky, White, etc. etc.

But other than that, everything is correct.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Nope you have to be wrong, because it says above he is the most untouchable player, now it could be he means it is hard for the coach to touch him, given he is so much lower on the bench and MT would have to reach way way down to touch his shoulder for example.

50. frontenac1 says:

Sabres got a new GM. Tim Murray.

51. Maritime Ronn says:

It appears some are wondering about the days off.

The new CBA mandates at least 4 days off per month.

Monthly Schedules; Restricted Days.
    (a) Clubs shall provide each Player with a monthly travel/practice schedule prior to each full month of the Regular Season indicating the days that have been designated as days off for each Player.

Clubs shall endeavor to schedule no less than four (4) days off for Players per month (up to two of which may be scheduled on the road) during each full calendar month of the NHL Regular Season.

A day off shall be a day off for all purposes, except that if a Club travels following the conclusion of a game, the next day may be considered a day off if the Club is scheduled to arrive at its destination city by no later than 2:00 a.m. local time.

If a Club travels on the day following a game (i.e., stays at a hotel overnight and departs the following morning), such day may not be considered a day off.

• slamtherimtim says:

we are only the 9th , there are another bunch of days to take off , mabe after a good win and not a brutal lose

• shiram says:

They have to schedule those 4 off days in advance for the players.
        The day off was planned before the month.

52. bwoar says:

Fire Therrien? Not until we’re finished paying Jacques Martin.

“thoroughbred”

• slamtherimtim says:

PK aint 20 years old anymore , MT cant keep treating him different than everyone else on the team , after the penelty he should have been thrown back out there to make up for his mistake , but NO , we lost because of PK again in the coaches eyes ,

53. Habfan10912 says:

“Let’s see. If I don’t have a practice today the press can’t ask me about my latest hissy fit”, MT.

54. Habfan10912 says:

This sure looks like a drug user begging to get caught.

Dear MB,
    Please fire me.

Love, MT

55. TMan1969 says:

I just think the players that are constantly shifted from line to line have lost their identity and drive – just look at Eller, Gallagher (although he still skates like a demon)…Briere, Prust, White, Bournival…lost.

Do not scorn a weak cub. He may become the brutal tiger.

Mongolian Proverb

56. habsguru says:

so MT’s win record this year isn’t bad right? but how many of those have been convincing wins, vs how many losses were stinkers. in my jaded opinion, the wins are barely wins, and the losses are often embarrassing.

• christophor says:

They were convincing wins before mid-November and during almost all of last year. Most wins (10+ of them) since mid-November have been lucky (i.e. in spite of being outplayed, Leaf style).

57. HabsFan68 says:

Time of MB to step up and provide MT with the tools to be successful. When Diaz (18m) & Gorges (20+) see that type of ice time Vs Philly we are in trouble

58. rljmartin says:

Day off…. Conclusion? They can’t have much to work on.

59. jimmy shaker says:

Playoffs? answer = yes.

Doing anything in the playoffs? answer = no

Part of it is MT, part of it is MB and part of it is the players.

Not sure what to do now!

Shaker out!

60. skoalbandit says:

Guy Boucher led the 2009-2010 Hamilton Bulldogs to a 52–17–11 record for 115 points, while coaching max and dd into promotions to the bigs.
    He won coach of the year with most of the habs core players. If MB does not agree with the decision making from MT, he should not hesitate to pull the trigger.

• JUST ME says:

Coaching junior players and NHL athletes is a totally different ball game. Junior players look up to you, professional NHLer could not care less cause if it does not do here it will elsewhere for a lot more money.
      Boucher was exposed big time in Tampa and if and when he comes back cause i hope he does he should take an assistant coach position and go from there.

• twilighthours says:

The Hamilton Bulldogs is (are?) a professional hockey team that employs adults and not junior-aged players.

• christophor says:

Boucher also had, by far, the worst goaltending and one of the worst defence corps. in the NHL the year he was fired, and those two weaknesses are particularly severe for Boucher’s system. I agree that it wasn’t pretty for Boucher in Tampa (though in his first year, he came close to the cup), but I think he’ll regain his form with Price and Subban. Also, he’s someone who learns and adjusts. I don’t see that side of Therrien.

61. RAM_TOUGH says:

99% of people in the civilized world knew MT was a no good useless NHL Coach, but yet MB could not see it? I don’t think for one New York minute that MT was a fill in till a qualified Francophone Coach became available.

The #1 job of a Coach is to get his players to play hockey & win. Talking to the Media is secondary. Any die hard Habs fan should not care if the coach can speak French, if they do then they don’t deserve a team.

If MB or GM is waiting for the next best Francophone Coach then it will be another 20 years before Montreal wins another Stanley Cup!

Guts-Glory-Ram

99% of the civilized world probably have no idea what you are talking about.

Edit: Probably have no idea what “we” are talking about.

• rljmartin says:

Well-put… I work in a bilingual school (Spanish/English) and the people we hire are always the best possible…. How do we do it? We translate when needed…. Good grief, it is not that complicated….

• JUST ME says:

I kind of agree with HabinBurlington . Whether you like it or not ,whether it`s a good thing or not , this is not how things have been on planet habs for ages.

• jacquesthemonkey says:

Ask yourself whether Leafs fans would accept a coach that didn’t speak English. Answer: No. Before Wilson was fired many Leafs fans were pissed about the number of American players on the Leafs roster under the Burke-Wilson (both Americans) regime. So, a French-speaking head coach in MTL is not that ridiculous to require. That being said, an Anglo can learn French, but he better win every game. :)

62. Habsrule1 says:

Love how passionate Habs fans are but man the sky is not falling cause PK was benched. I’m glad he stated very clearly on Melnick’s show Wednesday that he does not read stuff online and only cares what 2 people think: Himself and his coach.

If the Habs fall and somehow miss the playoffs, I’ll be completely on board with replacing Therrien….maybe with Guy Boucher. By the way, Boucher is a lot more offensive-minded than many people think. He did what he thought he had to do and possibly made some mistakes as an inexperienced NHL coach, but I think he has the hockey knowledge to get a fair bit out of some of the Habs players. His junior teams scored quite a few goals.

Go Habs Go!!

Rough day for Habs fans, lots of banter about what we need to do, just frustrating all around.

So on a complete different topic, for any of you baseball fans who love stories about players from the golden era (I do), here is a nice read (with some links to even better reads) on the former Padre, and long time announcer Jerry Coleman, who passed away recently.

A nice read on a dour day.

64. JUST ME says:

I really like P.K. He is by far my favorite player on and off the ice. You can see and hear that this guy is well educated and has a lot of respect for the sacrifices that were made for him to get where he is.

I like the way he talks ,he says things how they are. He gave an interview to TSN the day before yesterday adding that he never does give interviews cause he just does not care ! He said that he does not care what the media thinks about his play and the game that he just played. He does not care for people analysing the game that was when he is just looking to play the next one. Win or lose he wants to play hockey.

Sometimes, most of the times, we should also leave it at that and move on.

You have got to be sh!tting me. Un effing real. This is a sick joke, right?

66. jimmy shaker says:

habs win 1-0 on a one timer howitzer from PK in OT to give Price and his 56 save effort a win over the powerhouse hawks. Imagine the frenzy on here after that storyline!

Shaker out!

67. christophor says:

Just posted this on the last thread:

No one’s denying that the Habs’ current record under Therrien is good, or that the Habs’ record since his re-hiring is good.

The problem is that over the last 25 games (yes, including the last half of the win streak) Therrien has changed the Habs into a regressing, bottom-tier team that is routinely outplayed/outpossessed. That wasn’t the case last year or for the first few weeks of this year.

Like his time in Pittsburgh, his early success is being followed by a long stretch of struggles. The worst part is, like his time in Pittsburgh, Therrien seems unwilling/unable to (re-)adjust accordingly. All coaches need to adjust at times (i.e. admit they had the wrong idea for the team they have), and the good ones do (or at leas the one’s without big heads). Again, I see every sign that Therrien sees himself in the right and most individual players on his team as, by some trick, simultaneously struggling with his clever dump-and-chase changes – i.e. “not my fault”.

I think a GM with foresight would be justified in firing Therrien if this continues to the Olympic break. The issue isn’t his overall record. If that’s all that mattered, a whole lot of coaches would never have been fired. The issue is what’s been going on for two months and the signs that it’ll continue. If it would be best for the team, the GM should act, and the availability of certain other french coaches should affect the decision. They won’t be available for long, and we don’t want another dud.

• Garbo says:

It seems to me that most coaches are not fired until they have a really bad stretch (in terms of record). As long as a team’s record stays decent, I don’t recall many (or any) coaches being fired.

• christophor says:

6-6-2 while completely healthy is a huge difference from .600+ hockey, which is what the Habs were before. Maybe it’s not if you don’t think the Habs are actually a fairly good team and not a lower-middle pack team. I think they’re good and that pundits underestimate them.

Carbo, Martin, Vineault are three off the top of my head. Firing a coah should be a more complex matter than wins and losses over 14 games. It’s about the decline of the team since before the last 14 games, and the projection that it will continue. If the team is better off in Feb with, say, Boucher, than with Therrien, then that’s all that matters.

• Garbo says:

I just don’t think he will be fired unless they go on a significant slide of below .500 hockey. Most recent coach firings I can recall happened after a solid losing streak.

• twilighthours says:

Strangley, 6-6-2 is still a 0.583 pts percentage.

• christophor says:

Well, I really understated their earlier success. It was a good deal over .600 (.661 before the end of the win streak, and .643 last year, including the last stretch where they faltered due to injury)

• twilighthours says:

I guess what I’m saying is that you can be earning 58% of available points and still look like a bad hockey team.

• christophor says:

With the 3-point system .583 is closer to the ‘real’ .500 – i.e. the cut off line between lower-tier and upper-tier teams. The Habs have regressed to a point where they’re teetering on the fence between both categories. Some might think they belong there, but I think having the best Dman, one of the best goalies, and a very deep forward corp. should place you higher (which is where they have been). I think the Habs are underestimated usually for reasons no more nuanced than “they need to be bigger”.

Anyway, they do indeed “look like a bad hockey team”, even when they’ve been undeservedly winning. That’s new to the last 20 games, even if their record over that stretch is better than they deserve. Instead of hoping that undeservedly decent results continue, I think a proactive coaching change could be a positive, defining decision of a GM, in retrospect. I don’t think the time is now. I think it’s at the break, if this continues. I of course would prefer they turn it around but I don’t see how, given how the team is deployed and how Therrien seems wedded to that deployment.

• RAM_TOUGH says:

Carbo was fired with a record of 35 -24 – 7

Guts-Glory-Ram

• JUST ME says:

If you ask Bergevin he will tell you as he said at the golf tournament. This team will have a tough time to MAKE the playoffs so i do not think that the situation is big news to him and therefore Therrien is still the guy he chose to rebuild the team.
      Whether he will be signed for another deal remains to be seen but i would not be surprised cause on top of all critics we can make , the Habs are performing above expectations. If Bergevin has a plan and i believe he does, being above expectations gives you a much better leverage than if you are desperately in need of improvements. As far as we know, Therrien helped him get to this point.

68. Bogie Man says:

The more I see days off for bad behaviour the more I get frustrated with MT. He is one of the worst coaches in the NHL today and lucky us, we get the priveledge of having him behind the bench with our Habs. This sucks!

69. habsguru says:

hopefully it a day off for the new coach to get prepared

70. frontenac1 says:

Chicago Blackhawks! Not so tough? Want to see how their farm team in Rockford enjoys themselves?

71. shiram says:

Ok new thread, a chance to calm down for everyone.
    They have a day off to look back at last game and figure what adjustments need be made.
    Practice new stuff tomorrow, and hopefully rock the Hawks on Saturday.

72. Walmyr says:

A day off is always good…….I could use that today……man, MT could be my boss…

73. Grimmly says:

Great coaching, they had a tough hard fight last night that they where in the game the whole time, so close! They deserve the rest.

Oh wait, what game was i watching last night?

74. Perfect, more proof he’s (coach Therrien) trying to get the team back :lol:

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

75. russ2445 says:

I to can’t believe MT is still coach. Every year at this time the Habs start there down hill slide? No different this year. Here we go again. When you don’t play your best player when your behind there has to be something wrong with the coach.

Russell Fielding

76. Habcouver says:

Bizarro Geoff

Waiting patiently for #25

77. Mattyleg says:

Because everyone is an idiot.

78. jshell06 says:

Not MB.

Never a bad idea to go suit shopping!

Cow-town Canadien

79. Mattyleg says:

I’ve done it twice in my life and I found it incredibly stressful and unpleasant.

80. jshell06 says:

Sorry to hear that. Why?

Cow-town Canadien

81. Mattyleg says:

I’m not a suit-wearer.
    And my posterial physiognomy was not designed in conjunction with The Suitmakers of North America’s standards.

82. bwoar says:

Boucher is an idiot.

(Why wait a year?!)

“thoroughbred”

83. Eddie says:

Next year or next month?

84. mrhabby says:

Boucher sucks.

85. JUST ME says:

By far the best post of the day bwoar. Really needed the laugh. Thanks !

86. Thomas Le Fan says:

That’s funny, the way I read it, the sign said, “I am a really big idiot with bad hair!”

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

87. Danno says:

He can’t violate the CBA, but Therien should at least have called a voluntary practice

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

88. Habfan10912 says:

Maybe Bergevin bag skated Therrien. :)

89. formerly known as the hc says:

NO practices means NO practices. Optional practices are practices, which in this case is contrary to the CBA.

90. Danno says:

Thanks. I didn’t know that.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

91. CJ says:

I don’t think anyone’s suggesting that. I want to win badly. Unfortunately only one team gets to hoist the cup. We are further ahead this season then I thought we would be. For every game like the Philly debacle, there have been great games like the win in Dallas. Enjoy the ride!

92. Dunboyne Mike says:

Alternative: bitch and moan for another 20 years!

Whether fans wait or bitch will not influence Habs’ destiny.

(Remember, 55proof)

اچھی رات

93. SlovakHab says:

The game in Dallas was a great game by Pacioretty and Subban.
    Those two won us the game.
    We were still outshot and definitely didn’t have “great” game as a team.

Back to our 6-2 win over Minny, when we talk about “great” games. Not much since then, although we scraped up some 1-goal wins.

94. CJ says:

Well, it was certainly a great game entertainment wise. Look, we’ve lost games where I feel we were the better team and by extension deserved the win. I don’t see the value in rating wins. All 25 have been great in my books.

I think we need to manage expectations. Don’t let the number of Olympians fool you, this is a decent, but not great team.

95. Bob_Sacamano says:

That´s the point. Much more frightening than the MT – Subban thing.
    Sooner or later you start losing when you constantly getting outplayed. This now happens to the Leafs (and most of us knew it would) and it will happen to us as well if we continue like this.

96. SlovakHab says:

Entertainment-wise, I agree with you.
    Pacioretty, Subban, Seguin, Nichushkin… lots of talent, playing well in that game.

97. HabFan in Edmonton says:

I think PK is pretty strong mentally, don’t think he will get run out of town. I think PK will be here a long time.

98. SlovakHab says:

Can’t argue with that.

99. habcertain says:

Exactly, all this friggin drama and he can barely compete.

100. knob says:

Front office and the coaching staff are drinking beer and playing baseball.

101. frontenac1 says:

They should call up their Mascot and kick Youppi”s evil arse out.

102. Kooch7800 says:

The only way PK leaves is if they get some insane package that they can’t refuse. Would you want to be the GM who traded away PK a young kid who has insane potential and is already our best D man.

Not going to happen. Him and Price are our best players. You build around them

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

103. CJ says:

Save yourself the time. I don’t think anybody prefers MT over, or at the expense of, PK.

104. CJ says:

If it only took a second round pick somebody would have already made the deal.

Storm Man – Who are we talking about?

106. habstrinifan says:

Considering the appearance that they will not be able to sign him there may be some truth. Maybe Buffalo is letting it be known that they will look at a starting offer based on a 2nd rounder.
    Worth a phone call.

Matt Moulson

108. CJ says:

True. Good point. Time will tell. GM’s might also be hesitant to deal with buffalo given how many picks they currently hold, on top of having arguably the best prospect pool in the league.

109. Curtis O Habs says:

How big and how good a bag of weed?

Moulson will probably fetch a 1st rounder. Miller will bring in more than that.

These may be dark days in Buffalo but there is certainly light at the end of the tunnel. They are going at a rebuild the right way.

I was so hoping Chicago was going to fire him a couple years back, rumours were that Bowman wanted to bring in someone else. Joel Quennville would have been a great coach for this team.

I was not happy when MT became the coach, I have tried to be patient with him, I am frustrated beyond belief by him, but for the moment we are stuck with him.

Or he already drafter a 5 year extension contract for Michael Therrien.

Agree, and the fans there will be patient enough to let them complete that rebuild. Unlike some teams in this league where the fans expect the team to compete for a Cup every season.

But does he have the most important characteristic for a coach – does he parler francais?

115. GL says:

Burli – Gotta bring in more good players first. No coach will win a cup with the present team.

Agree, preaching to the choir on that note bud. I still think MT is a placeholder until the team is closer and a new coach comes in.

117. GrimJim says:

I was really hoping MB would hire Bob Hartley but Calgary offered before Montreal was ready to decide (according to the rumour I heard).

118. Captain Pike says:

If I remember correctly it was all twigs and seeds.